Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: This past weekend, Donald Trump finally hit the campaign trail, so I headed down to South Carolina for what was originally permitted as a buga rally but later downgraded to it into mid event. What is this event?
Speaker 3: It's a Trump rally.
Speaker 2: It is a rally, I'd say it was. It's not a rally. It's somewhat of a rally, but it's not a big rally. Now I thought it was a rally.
Speaker 3: It's not a rally.
Speaker 2: It's a bunch of people standing in line. It's an event. It's a list.
Speaker 4: It's invited list only. This is a private event that VIPs have been invited to you.
Speaker 2: Yes, only, heavily vetted VIPs were invited. Like this guy, Sombrero Trump JM.
Speaker 3: Yes from Lauren, South Carolina.
Speaker 2: Sombrero Trump. Yes, it's not a rally, it's a leadership form formed leadership teams. I see a guy like this. I think this guy has got two dates circled out his calendar, Sigo Demo and January sixth. Yes, this kickoff was packed with classic style and classic takes.
Speaker 3: Donald Trump is president right now, He's.
Speaker 2: Currently the president.
Speaker 5: He is still president there's a lot of things that this Biden person does not have, like the presidential steal and things like that that are pretty obvious.
Speaker 2: Biden doesn't have the presidential steal. When he speaks, there's a presidential steal in front of him. It's not real. What is he doing as president? He is in charge of the military. Great, the military is in charge of this whole thing.
Speaker 5: The military were put in charge in twenty eighteen when President Trump signed an executive.
Speaker 2: Order the American military arms that are going to Ukraine. We have Donald Trump to think for that.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: Two, there's two militaries. There's a good and the bad. So there's two militaries. Donald Trump's in charge of the good one. Yes, Biden's in charge of the bad military. That's exactly right. Fortunately, there were sub supporters who still believe an election cycle is actually necessary and we're serious about planning for a log campaign.
Speaker 6: He's just been doing a lot of preparations, a lot of tests in the waters, and.
Speaker 2: You know just what's normal talking to advisors. Yeah much. Nick Twente's Kanye West like the minds that are gonna shape the point of view of this whole campaign. The original Trump brand is still strung tween that guy. Huh mister, when the looting starts, that's when the shooting starts. But a new election cycle could be a different tone. What are you seeing that is different about Trump and his tone with this kind of an event.
Speaker 6: I think it's more elevated. He's at a more kind of a mature level. How everybody's got all their advisors. It's almost like he's finally listening to his a little bit. As far as tone the comments down.
Speaker 2: Are you noticing even the MAGA community being serious and respectable?
Speaker 6: If you watch the conservative rhetoric, it looks like you still love America.
Speaker 2: Conservative rhetoric still respects positions of power in this country, our police, our military, our executive branch. Exactly what's your hat say?
Speaker 3: I don't remember?
Speaker 4: I get shit A better president.
Speaker 2: This campaign is already attacking Biden's approach to the war in Ukraine, while Lottie Trump's brilliant yet still theoretical approach.
Speaker 7: Putin would have never ever gone in and even now I could solve that in twenty four hours.
Speaker 2: Trump says he could pick up the phone and this thing in twenty four hours. What actually would he say?
Speaker 3: It off he'd kind of be that that kind of tone to him.
Speaker 2: You think, totally knock it off. Might cower Vladimir.
Speaker 3: Putin because he knows Trump stands up and says, hey, I'm gonna do this. I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 2: Do you wish Biden would threaten nuclear war?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: No, no strong stance of hey, stop doing this, okay? Or got you gotta have a you gotta have a rattle behind.
Speaker 2: That saber, right, which is.
Speaker 3: Troops. But you don't want to do troops because then you have all at war?
Speaker 2: Right, So what would it be?
Speaker 3: Threat of it?
Speaker 2: Threat of troops?
Speaker 3: Correct?
Speaker 2: So you want Trump to get into office and promise to put troops into that war?
Speaker 3: No, I want him to stop it verbally because you don't want military into it because then it escalates me.
Speaker 2: He said verbally, you have to have some sort of backup, correct. So you want Trump to have that backup, which would be not troops.
Speaker 3: No, he has the troops.
Speaker 2: So you would support troops being sent in.
Speaker 3: You don't want to send troops in.
Speaker 2: It seems like a complicated situation.
Speaker 3: It is very complicated.
Speaker 2: Fortunately for some of these not rally goers, it doesn't have to be that complicated.
Speaker 8: I haven't seen any news reports about, you know, this terrible war in Ukraine. Where do you get your news on Newsmax?
Speaker 2: And they haven't covered it at all.
Speaker 8: I think that there's no war to cover. I think the whole thing is fabricated. And I think that Zelenski, who's the president of Ukraine, I believe that this is all extortion money.
Speaker 2: I spent a little time in Hungary and I met people who were coming from Ukraine to try to find safe haven. They're actual refugees fleeing what they said was a war zone. Were they I just think they might be actors. As far as I know, I believe that they.
Speaker 8: Might be actors.
Speaker 2: All of those people I met at Hungary, those are refugees.
Speaker 8: I believe that the the government is paying them to do that.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of actors. If that's a sad gig, that's gonna cost you billions. And if this is the Trump campaign's first round of invites, America is in for a sweet, sweet ride. Nicki Haley, the former South Carolina governor and Trump you An ambassador, has decided to throw her hat at the ring and run against her old boss. So I went to her campaign launched in South Carolina to see if the party was really ready to turn the page. Are you excited about NICKI Haley for president? Very excited.
Speaker 3: She's done great things for South Carolina.
Speaker 2: She's tough, she's a women women rule. The Republican Party needs a change, and we need someone with Nicky's foreign policy expertise.
Speaker 5: I love Donald Trump, but I think that she has more of a feminine finess.
Speaker 2: You think Trump has a harder time with communicating with ladies. He has a harsher approach when it comes to women. Sometimes has to pay for it. He sometimes has a hard time navigating it.
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean, I.
Speaker 2: Think she's really riding to get like.
Speaker 5: I don't think she'll win.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think it's for VP. So this is just sort of like batting practice.
Speaker 9: It's just fun to be here.
Speaker 2: Why not VP or President? I was curious to see how Haley could win over ardent Trump supporters. I voted for Trump, but I certainly will not be doing that again. When did Trump lose your support? The nail in the coffin for me with Donald Trump? Let me guess, Charlotte spill No, but okay, let me You're not gonna guess it kids in Cagous Nope. The interaction January sixth, the nope. Uh oh, okay, wait hold on first apeachment, nope, second peach hope Okay, invited white supremacists over tomorrow logo.
Speaker 10: No, But I mean, you know, criticizing DeSantis before.
Speaker 2: His election, wouldn't have guessed it. So that's the line right now. I was down on the I would have guess kids in CAGs I told you you went to guest it. I would have thirty minutes. This is the whay you come out and talk to people. You're constantly surprised. Yep. Haley has been either a strong Trump critic or a vocal Trump ally, depending on the time of day. Could this pose a problem? Did you feel like she sufficiently stood up to Donald Trump when she needed to?
Speaker 11: I think she has, and I think Nikki Helly's not afraid to stand up to any male or female with her voice of opinion.
Speaker 2: Yes, after January sixth, she wasn't afraid to say this is disgusting, that's right, and then a couple weeks later to say they were being too hard on him.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, we agree, I agree totally. An individual respects you if you can stand up to them.
Speaker 2: So something awful happens, like Charlottesville. She speaks her mind, Charlotteville happens. She's not afraid to criticize Trump. Walk right in there and hand in her fifty two week notice. Right is right. She knows right from wrong. It's a campaign that's distancing itself from the far right fringe, except if you look closely at Haley's first speaker, Pastor John Hagy, who has unusual views on the weather.
Speaker 1: As a candid you have that responsibility to not get in the gunn So hopefully we can say in the more positive planes.
Speaker 2: Well, the first person I saw on stage was Pastor Hagey, who thinks hurricanes are a punishment for gay people?
Speaker 3: Is that really what he said?
Speaker 2: How long ago was that?
Speaker 3: That was?
Speaker 2: That was around Katrina? Yeah, yeah, that's a that's an interesting opening act. Pastor Hagey has said that hurricanes were God's punishment for gays. Oh no, preaches the gospel.
Speaker 3: I mean I followed him for years.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, But maybe if she wants to track moderates, come in with a little bit more of a moderate pastor who thinks something more acceptable like tornadoes are caused by too much masturbation. Oh my goodness. Yeah, that's way out there. Now, that's too far. Oh yeah, gotcha, And there's that line again. Good to know. Last week, Donald Trump declared his arrest was imminent and called for a pro test to take our Nation back outside the Manhattan District Attorney's office. So yesterday I ventured all the way downtown and joined the media circus to observe this crowd of MAGA protesters who were definitely around here somewhere. Yeah, this is the truth social here it says Tuesday, protest, take our nation back? Excuse is this the protest for Trump or the Trump protest or the supporting Are we taking our nation back? Is that today? I thought it was today, So I did have the day right. And then I found a proud and totally concealed Trump supporter. Why are you here? Because I'm gonna support Trump? Because they want the dinam. So Trump went on his own social media and he called out people his supporters to come out here and support him, and right now, that's just you. I'm here. I'm here, heavy as the crowd. I don't need you to come out something, Okay.
Speaker 12: I'm here to actually see what's going on. Everyone was talking about it, so I came here to check it out.
Speaker 2: You want to see it with your own eyes.
Speaker 12: That's right, because I don't believe what I'm hearing on the news media.
Speaker 2: So what have you seen so far? Absolutely was nothing, nothing correct. This was an unusual MAGA rally. The numbers were low and it was in my own city. However, the arguments over some basic facts were refreshingly familiar. Do you think it's fair for Trump to be indicted if that does happen this week? Listen?
Speaker 12: I don't know all the specific facts, but what I do know is he's my president right now.
Speaker 2: I think he's my president. You think he's serving the role as your president currently.
Speaker 4: Well, he's in my heart, he's my president.
Speaker 2: OK. I just had to be clear sometimes for sure? Sure, you think Joe Biden is president?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: No, I think that man is a scam.
Speaker 12: I just know that's Allegendly he's there because that man doesn't make any sense to me.
Speaker 2: But technically he is there. He is serving the role of president. Maybe I don't know.
Speaker 4: I haven't been down, I've haven't been Washington, DC.
Speaker 2: I've not seen him walk in the White House. You don't think he actually spends time in the White House. I don't know. Well, there are videos of him in the White House. He's can we just I just want to get beyond this fact. He is the president the United States. Donald Trump wants the president of the United States. In fact, That's what I'm saying. Okay, this is right, Debora. Why are you here today?
Speaker 11: Joe Biden is going after him because I don't even know why he going after Hi, because they're gonna push him out to do and probably bring them Michelle Michael Obama.
Speaker 2: Okay, but Michael Obama, that's correct. Okay, they made Why do you call her Michael?
Speaker 11: What did Joan Rivers say?
Speaker 2: What did Joan Rivers? That's correct?
Speaker 11: If anybody remember what she said?
Speaker 2: Do you get most of your news from Joan Rivers?
Speaker 11: Oh no, I don't get none of my news from doing I'm just telling you what she said about Michael Obama.
Speaker 2: Okay. Regardless of their sources, the Marga crowd, which the police estimated to be between three and six people, believe these chargers were unworthy of a former president. I don't feel Trump should be in trouble.
Speaker 4: That's absitutional.
Speaker 2: I feel said President, this is a political attack. They're not charging somebody else for this crime. Everything is political. They did charge somebody else with this exact crime.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so why should he beats Well.
Speaker 2: Michael Cohen was charged, played guilty, served time in jail. Disloyalty's loyalty If na loycy is nothing. This is about a man who cheated on his wife with a porn star while his wife was at home with their newborn son. But loyalty is a big issue for you. Listen, we meant so we all know. Trump doesn't understand how the law works. Turns out, he doesn't know when it works either. But for Margat supporters feeling fomo about missing the Donald showdown with Justice, I'm confident you'll get another chance. How are you gonna be here today?
Speaker 12: Maybe a couple more hours, walk around and grab something to eat.
Speaker 2: If Trump has indicted in Georgia, next you go in there, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Maybe I will.
Speaker 2: It's like a big old indictment to it, right, I'll see in Georgia. Maybe we'll swing by DC. The Daily Show is back on the air, and so I'm back in the field. Just last week I went to the shores of beautiful Lake within a pasaki and hit up my first Trump rally in a while. The ex president has been busy campaigning and juggling certain legal commitments. Well, I've also been incredibly productive during these last few months. I've started four scripts, you know, a little bit of a novel, novella actually long story short. Five months later, Bump Kiss, very little to show for it, but I think it's been good, you know, emotionally and just to kind of stretch yourself. See what else is out there. Find your voice. Really there's up. This is my voice, for better or worse. So I'm still warming up, but I was excited to see the sights and sounds and the long line of politically engaged citizens. Whatever Trump does the smartest, that's just sort of your boilerplate. You don't have to think through it. You've just given him that credibility. And it didn't take long to spout the new piece of must have Maga merge.
Speaker 3: The mugshot never surrendered to the tyranny?
Speaker 2: What is Trump doing here on the shirt?
Speaker 3: This is his mugshaw?
Speaker 2: Gotcha? So that was taken when he surrendered to authorities to have his picture taken. Huh.
Speaker 3: This says, never surrendered.
Speaker 2: But is that on the back? Is the buttet the back?
Speaker 3: But Trump?
Speaker 2: It's just Trump? So where's the where's the butt? Part? Is that that's implied? Nick? Take me through your fit. Ah, well, i'd bought the socks in town, and these socks have Trump hair on it.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir?
Speaker 2: Oh much did you pay for the sweatshirt?
Speaker 4: Forty dollars?
Speaker 2: Yeah? How much you pay for the hat?
Speaker 4: Twenty five? I think I get a hat at least once a month.
Speaker 2: How many Trump hats do you have?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 4: Probably forty or sold?
Speaker 2: How do you feel America's doing under Biden?
Speaker 4: Economic?
Speaker 2: Not good?
Speaker 7: I think you know, inflation and the gas prices everything, things going up. Milk and eggs are just through the roof, like buying regular food is you know? So you got to work for jobs and pay your rent?
Speaker 2: Yeah? How much money have you spent on Trump's wag?
Speaker 4: A couple thousand dollars?
Speaker 2: Wow, that's a lot. But people having a hard time paying for the necessities. Right as the Donald rolled in, I wondered what fresh ideas I had missed on the campaign trail.
Speaker 10: It's been out in Iowa talking about when I was there, he was talking about how he changed the name from Crooked Hillary to Crooked Joe Biden.
Speaker 2: Oh, so he's focusing on the issues. Yeah, great, Sadly the Donald's campaign appearances aren't the only thing on his schedule. How many of that means? We up to now? Georgia, Georgia? Okay, great, that's New York City, New York City.
Speaker 3: That's the most. The bankruptcy New.
Speaker 2: York is the bankruptcy one. Great. It's hard to keep him straight, right.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of there's way too many.
Speaker 10: I think they're just trying to throw them in jail to which hunt. Like what he said in New York?
Speaker 2: Is that pre or post the first David? I think that was right. When the lady charges Wait, lady charges? Is that Stormy Daniel's lady charge? Or sexual assault? Sexual assault? Sexual assault she found guilty of, right, I think? So? Are you one hundred percent sure you're voting for Donald Trump in the next election? Yeah? Yeah, No, matter what happens with these trials, this election still comes down to their guy versus the other guy.
Speaker 3: I mean, Trump has done more than Biden will ever do. And that's the other side of it. He should be in jail him and his kid for treason.
Speaker 11: I mean they've taken money from other countries who were not really in favor.
Speaker 2: Of saying that. The fact that, like you could have a memory of your family get billions of dollars from Saudi Arabia is nuts. Yeah right, nothing but a big cover up. Do you think you think Trump should be punished for all of that money that Ivanka and Jared got? No? Nope, who are you talking about?
Speaker 3: I'm talking about Biden with his kid.
Speaker 2: Oh not not that, Not that Jared and Ivanka money from Saudi Arabia? No? Does that bother you? No?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: And when it comes to which candidate makes a better commander in chief, there's a clear winner. Trump loves the veterans. Trump all the way. He's got my vote forever. Trump has called for the execution of General Milly. Does that rub you the wrong way as a veteran?
Speaker 9: Well, I don't like Milly because, uh, he did the Afghanistan thing, Like all these generals are supposed to know what they're doing and it was a complete disaster.
Speaker 2: So you don't trust the generals?
Speaker 3: No, I don't.
Speaker 2: What are you us excited to see inside?
Speaker 9: I just want to see him speak see what he has to say about Israel. I know Joe Biden was doing a barbecue with his people.
Speaker 2: We set a fleet of naval ships to Israel. Yes, are you you're against that?
Speaker 4: I am for that.
Speaker 2: Oh that's good. Yeah, that's so you can Biden credit for that.
Speaker 9: That's more of the generals making the calls there.
Speaker 2: Do he trust those generals?
Speaker 9: I don't even know who's in anymore?
Speaker 1: So I don't.
Speaker 2: Ultimately, I wondered would these Maga faithful ever care about any of these criminal charges? Probably not Exhibit A. Just ask what their favorite rally was.
Speaker 1: January sixth is probably my favorite one.
Speaker 2: You were there, Oh yeah, that's your number one? What what made it in your favorite one? What stood out from January sixth?
Speaker 1: Well, aside from all the violence that was planned by the FBI and such.
Speaker 2: Do you think were they proud boys and oathkeepers?
Speaker 1: No, they were Antifa, Black Lives Matter, ISIS and MS thirteen.
Speaker 2: Some of January six is perpetrated by ISIS. I mean this is.
Speaker 1: MS thirteen, Black Lives Matter, ANTIFA ices.
Speaker 10: Yeah, can you say maca hey, anyone can put a MAGA hat on.
Speaker 2: I mean, come on, guys, I hope you don't see any Antifa because there's a lot of Trump hats, and I guess that means Antifa's here, So good luck? Or what was your first rally?
Speaker 4: H January sixth, twenty twenty as a DC.
Speaker 2: If you're gonna go to one, go to one? Do you make it inside?
Speaker 4: I can't say that for legal reasons.
Speaker 2: You may or may not been involved in it's this activity.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, can't get into that one.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, we'll have fun, try not to overthrow any duly elected officials.
Speaker 4: Oh no, we'll be good today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I trust him.
Speaker 12: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you.
Speaker 2: Get your podcasts.
Speaker 12: Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central and stream pull episodes anytime on Fairmount Plus.
Speaker 1: This has been a Comedy Central podcast show