Speaker 1: Three two one zero all engine running liftof.
Speaker 2: We have a liftoff. Welcome back to the UFO Show, mister Rubinstein.
Speaker 3: I don't know what is.
Speaker 2: That voice the UFO Show. I am ty, he is Dan. This is a solid verbal on Friday where where you get a little weird. It's a little bit space themed.
Speaker 4: Sure.
Speaker 2: On today's show, we've got a fun interview planned. It is with Mike Gulick. You know the guy. He's been a sports personality for years. He's obviously a noted Notre Dame alumnus, also the host of the Fan Exam in addition to being an ESPN college football analyst. So we will talk in a little bit more detail about how you can play at Thefanexam dot com. Mister Rubinstein, being so it is our UFO show, I was thinking, since there is a trivia component to the Today's interview, and really what we're here to help mister Golic promote? What about unanswered Friday Orbit?
Speaker 4: It's good. I can't remember if we've used that. I may have used that already, but I like it and we can come up with something else by the end of the show. If it turns out we've used it. But no, I like it unanswered because we're all we're pro all things trivia. Golic is handling trivia hosting duties on the fan Exam. We are turning him in. We are turning him. Wow ty, I had a sip of beer and here we are. We are turning him into the contestant on a very specific branded Mike Golic session of trivia. So unanswered will only remain unanswered for so long because he's got to give us something. Gotta give us something.
Speaker 2: So in advance of college football Week fourteen, we do have some news that we're going to get through momentarily. Don't forget if you're interested in the patreon. We've just been doing all sorts of cool stuff. We have something very cool that we're going to announce this weekend, very cool that I am very excited about. You started drawing up some of the graphics and I am blown away once more by your creative muscles and making this thing a reality. But burballers dot com is where you can find the patreon. You get details on the little game that we're planning. Hint, nudge nudge, Yeah, going out there check it out.
Speaker 4: Also, tons of bonus content support the show. Consider supporting the show. It does go a long way if you like the show, if you listened for years and you want to support the show, we made it real easy for you, indeed we did.
Speaker 2: Don't forget to follow a long one social don't forget to subscribe to the show wherever you get your podcasts, or you can just go on out to the website soliverbal dot com if you'd like more info on how to do so damage jump into news. Can you give me a sound because I'm losing my voice again. It's happening again.
Speaker 4: Bringing new boo poo poo, poo, poo, poo poop. You'll get there once you become a professional broadcaster.
Speaker 2: Now that wasn't bad.
Speaker 3: That was not bad.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Thank you. Can we start with something that you don't have listed here on your news bullet points by all means uh it appears and I'm just clicking the link right now, but the Boca Ratone Bowl is now sponsored by roofclaim dot com. Roofclaim dot com, you know by the way banner day for their website. I'm positive that has.
Speaker 2: To be has to be one of those outfits like the one that came knocking on my door about a year ago where some dude I've never heard of or seen before shows up and says, hey, we'll inspect your roof to see if you have storm damage.
Speaker 3: M hmm.
Speaker 2: And I let him. I didn't pay him, but I let him. I let him tell me what was wrong with it, and then bid him fund to do roofclaim dot com Boca Ratone Bully. They also sponsored the number sixty six NASCAR Cup and Infinity Series car driven by looks like Timmy Hill. So I don't know if you have a lot of tim Hill race thoughts. So I just claim dot com, which.
Speaker 4: Is all the bowl game or the race car. I assumed the Bowl game. I assumed the Bowl game in terms of ratings because bowl games tend to rate really well. And correct me if I'm wrong. I want to say Fau with Lane Kiffen won the Boca Ratone Bowl last year. Correct decided it's actually correct. So you get that big local market. Yeah, you're doing well roofclaim dot Com. I would imagine there was some sort of lowered rate that the fact that it's happening in December, the announcement in December means maybe a deal was cut. I don't know what it costs a sponsor bowl game in this very down economic year, but we can probably piece together somewhere close to it between us and the certified and premium for baller supporting the show. So there you go, free advertising.
Speaker 2: This could have been our opportunity a roofing company, This could have been our opportunity Dan to sponsor a bowl game.
Speaker 4: Could have been, could have been. But does your sort of black ops governmental agency do much of that?
Speaker 2: I have no comment. I will neither confirm nor deny. You know, the drill, Yeah, yeah, I guess. I guess nobody really fully knew what Bad Boy Mowers was all about. And now here you are a proud representative. So, speaking of bowl games, the Vegas Bowl is off. It's the ten bowl game. Sucks to call off. They were actually going to play this one in the new Raiders Stadium, which it's a bummer. We're not going to get to see a college football game, a bowl game played there, but you know, we'll wait another year. We'll get it next year, hopefully. So that game's off. Four of eight pack twelve aligned bowls. Now, along with the Red Box, Holiday and Sun we mentioned the Sun Bowl being called off earlier on in the week bumber, huge bummer. Yeah, one game that is not off. Actually it's on, and it came together very quickly, Coastal Carolina against BYU. So this is very interesting, very interesting, Dan, they pulled this one together in a matter of hours or days. It wasn't originally supposed to happen, but there were some cancelations and now here we are. BYU is favored by ten points in this game. Dan, we certainly don't have a preview ready for it, but I don't know any thoughts on this. Like flex scheduling universe that we've entered into, we've seen it in the PAC twelve, we're now seeing it here with BYU and Coastal and as matchups go, especially in Week fourteen, I think this will qualify as one of the better matchups. It's a pretty good game. They've combined to lose. How many games tie, They've combined to lose zero games, zero games. That's a hell of a matchup.
Speaker 3: Tie.
Speaker 4: I am four matchups I can call a hell of a matchup. And this is on the teal turf by US traveling provo to I believe it's Conway, South Carolina, I'm going to watch the hell out of this. I mean, we've got two good quarterbacks, we have two really impressive stories given where you know, BYU having the up and down twenty nineteen and then storming a not fully impressive but not their fault schedule this year thus far, and perhaps being a little bit farther further down in the playoff rankings, and I think I would have assumed, And obviously Coastal has been an amazing Sun Belt story, and I just I'm excited that this was able to come together in a very strange year. It's a very positive thing that the forces behind the scenes were able to make this happen. So a lot of people have discussed and we have questions that were to answer answer on the brewfo about is this something that we could see becoming a more regular thing flex scheduling or not necessarily flex but last second, leave an open date kind of thing in place. And this all came together obviously because Liberty was not able to have the minimum number of players to play in this game, that they were having their own COVID issues, which is unfortunate of course, but yes, to have BYU have this available week and the Liberty Coastal game looked like it was going to be a fantastic one, right, I was going to say, in a weird way, Yeah.
Speaker 2: This is a pretty big upgrade for Coastal and for BYU.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I don't know if it's I mean, Liberty BYU would be a hell of a game too. I just I don't know if it's an upgrade, but it's there's no falloff in terms of how interesting this game is, perhaps even more just because the BYU, the big BYU game we did get to see. Unfortunately Boise had a hurt an injured quarterback situation afoot, And now we get to see BYU at whatever full strength means in twenty twenty, and same for CODE. So face off against each other, and so I don't forget about the playoff. Let's just enjoy really impressive football teams. That's that's all I want.
Speaker 2: And finally, before we get into our interview with mister Golick, you ever hear of a thing called the Night Commission. Yes, couldn't tell you. They're just like sort of a group of people who think about college sports.
Speaker 4: How to just find them? What are they?
Speaker 2: Essentially? Right, it's Commission of it's a commission of higher education administrators.
Speaker 4: They don't wield power, though, they.
Speaker 2: Don't wield power, but you know, it's a it's a notable group that has over the course of time offered suggestions for the course of college football. And as of today we're recording this on a Thursday, they've got a pretty significant proposal that they've put out. Again, it doesn't mean this is going to happen, but the proposal would leave one hundred and thirty schools that participate at the FBS level to form a new governance structure. So what's notable about this is that structure would not be the NCUBLEA. They suggested that maybe they use a separate group by the College Football Playoff to organize a championship. This would mean that the NCAA is no longer responsible for overseeing the enforcement of rules, determining eligibility, creating health and safety protocols for FBS football. You could imagine there being a huge, huge, huge, just like zoo all with this, you can imagine there's a huge zoom call right now at NCAA headquarters talking about what this means in context. Again, hate to reiterate this but doesn't really mean a whole lot. But I would say just given the state of affairs, and I know we've been to eating a little bit about the college football Playoff and where we think the sport is headed, and to an extent, as we discussed for many years in this show, it does feel like college football as a business has sort of outgrown college football as a thing that the NC DOUBLEA can govern with any real efficiency. Right, So it does not, I mean it should not come as a surprise to anybody that we've got a commission of you know, smart people, opinionated ants and uncles, opinionated ands and uncles looking at this and saying maybe they should just break away, right, Yeah, I mean, the NC DOUBLEA is involvement with FBS football has decreased exponentially over the years in that they're not organizing the sport. They're not you know, coming up with what the postseason is going to look like. It's you know, we have this, we have bowls, we have the College Football Playoff, excuse me, and the NCAA is there to.
Speaker 4: Enforce eligibility rules. And so college football has obviously grown to an astronomical place as compared to other sports. The NCAA's big cash cow is the NCAA tournaments. That's where they make their money now with regard to major college sports, so I should say NCAA tournaments in basketball. So I suppose it's something that we've been talking about for a long time. It's just also one of those things where it's just like we're getting away from fully explaining why there's a college part of college football if the college sports governing body has literally nothing to do with it. So, I mean, it's one of the great and attractive and strange inconsistencies about college football, which helps to make it great. But yeah, it opens up interesting cansa.
Speaker 2: Worms, The Night Commission. More to come on this, I'm sure. The Night Commission, The Night Commission, Dan, the Night Commission.
Speaker 4: That's all I got in a way news say it often enough. It sounds better and better, That's all I have to.
Speaker 2: All right, Dan joining us now, it's ESPN college football analysts, well known sports personality and the host of the Fan Exam, which we're going to talk a little bit about here today. Mister Mike Golick, Sir.
Speaker 3: How are you?
Speaker 2: I am doing well man? How are you fantastic? We're doing well. Yeah, So we want to start off by talking about the fan exam. We at the beginning of the pandemic, Dan and I would kind of make it a daily thing where we would go live on Twitter. We would pull somebody onto our show or onto our stream. Your son was one of those individuals and we would just play kind of like a I don't know, a scrap together trivia game. You are now hosting a trivia game twelve questions per game. Talk a little bit about the game and exactly what this all entails.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm on the right side of it because I'm sure my son was horrible at trivia, and however bad he was, I'm ten times worse. I am horrible. Just like when I studied for tests in school.
Speaker 3: The minute I.
Speaker 1: Took the test, I forgot the content and I just moved on.
Speaker 3: That's kind of like my sports career.
Speaker 1: I was playing and playing and playing, and I didn't know so much about the trivia, but I was approached to.
Speaker 3: Do you know.
Speaker 1: It was kind of like the Scott I always I always forget how to pronounce his last name. That did that HQ trivia. I used to play that all the time. We all, did you know ten questions or whatever it was ten or twelve questions, but if you got.
Speaker 3: It wrong, you were done. Well. This was great because A it was sports.
Speaker 1: B it was college sports, and see, even if you got it wrong, you got to keep playing and there were prizes attached to it. So I figured all I had to do was be able to read, which I've been doing for a couple decades now on air. That's all I had to be able to do is read in front of a camera, which at times isn't the easiest thing in the world. And have some fun, you know, mock some people who got some answers wrong, congratulate some people who got to MANswers right.
Speaker 3: So it's very cool.
Speaker 1: The biggest difference is like we're all doing now, like I'm sure you guys are doing, and everybody's doing.
Speaker 3: You doing it from home, you know.
Speaker 1: The last three months of Golick and Wingo, we're in my basement. We had the studio set up there, so that has turned into the studio for this. I've done some hits for CNN and that same room is turned into the studio for CNN. So it's just it's a makeshift room that you put a camera in, you put some lighting in, and you ask some questions. It's a lot of fun. I mean, we're getting a lot of people involved in it. Like I said, you get some college rivalry going. So I'm having a good time with it.
Speaker 4: What is the number one tip you have for people now working from home? What is the big hat you've discovered that has made your life better slash easier?
Speaker 1: Well, I number one. Hey, you got to have really good Wi Fi. Unless you're hooking up by Ethernet, you know, you better have some good Wi Fi. That's number one. You're going to get choppy or go off. So unless you're hooked up, you know you're hardwired. You better have some good Wi Fi. If you're on TV, you're better. I don't care what I look like, but my wife wants to say she's married to somebody who's halfway good looking.
Speaker 3: So make sure you have some good lighting. But you know, I'm.
Speaker 1: Looking at you and you have horrible lighting because you look horrible.
Speaker 4: Wow, I have a beautiful soft light right here.
Speaker 3: I just had to say it.
Speaker 1: But I know you know everybody has that lighting ring now.
Speaker 4: Oh it's tough though.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So if you're gonna be yeah, on camera, have the lighting ring and if you're you're gonna be on air, air anywhere anywhere, have good.
Speaker 2: Wi Fi, so smart, I go for what do you have? I was just going to say, there are two more weeks of the game remaining. Oh yeah, shows on December the eighth, the tenth, the fifteenth, and the seventeenth. I have in front of me. So what is it like actually being the host of a trivia show as compared to a lot of the other stuff you've done in your broadcasting career.
Speaker 1: Well, I love it because and I was so excited when they approach me because it's different. You know I've done, you know, after playing football, I've done a lot of things from TV to radio, a lot of different things, but I've.
Speaker 3: Never hosted a trivia game show.
Speaker 1: So I really like to kind of try some different things out there. And this was fun and I think one of the best things about it is it is different. But after each question when I give the right answer, I give a little factoid about it, which and I see the questions just a few hours before the show, just to proof read and go over and we all go over and to make sure everything's factually correct, but I love the little factoids after the answer.
Speaker 3: Those are really cool.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of stuff I never knew, and I thought, man, you know what, when things you know get back to normal, people can take some of these factoids and go win a bucket the bar somewhere.
Speaker 3: I think it's pretty good information.
Speaker 4: So I like that you use the term factoid because we are going to play a game with you. You are now going to be the subject. You've already said that you are terrible at trivia. That's okay because we have a forgiving audience. The questions are very dumb, and because I like the name of your show, The Fan Exam, But right now we are examining you, and so I have decided to call this show because we're all men of a certain age, the Goal in Oscopy. Are you okay with that name?
Speaker 3: The Goal in Oscopy? Yeah? Absolutely, Okay.
Speaker 4: I was a little bit worried it goes to a strange place, but I'm good with it.
Speaker 1: Okay, listens, all, it's a place we all need to go at some point, right.
Speaker 4: It's true, we're all taking that voyage. So here, here's how the game works. I have five categories We're going to ask you five questions, and then we're going to ask you follow up questions that perhaps more have to do with you, more have to do with college football, whatever. Some of these are college football questions. The categories, we have a mic category, we have a go category, we have a lick. See where I'm going with this. We have a fan category, and we have an exam category. So Mike, go lick fan exam. You tell me where we're starting of those categories?
Speaker 3: How do I not start with the lick?
Speaker 4: I mean, I think that's a great call. Here we go for no dollars, no sense. There's a famous Tutsi pop ad campaign about the number of licks it takes to get to the center of a Tutsi pop. The question is asked by what kind of bird?
Speaker 3: In your hint?
Speaker 4: There it is? I was going to give you a hint that there are three FBS football OWL programs. OWL is correct?
Speaker 3: Do you know?
Speaker 4: You know those? The programs?
Speaker 1: Well, Temple OWL Yep, that's probably the only one I'm going to know.
Speaker 4: Rice in fau but very good.
Speaker 1: I love that commercial when he starts doing a one.
Speaker 3: A two, and then he bites it three.
Speaker 1: It takes three licks to get to the center of a Tutsi pop.
Speaker 2: So here's here's actually the interesting factoid on this frog. I love it from Tutsi because we couldn't leave well enough alone.
Speaker 3: Quote.
Speaker 2: A group of engineering students from Perdue University reported that that it's licking machine, which I don't even want to know no.
Speaker 4: More about that. It's licking. That was Mike's nickname in high school. By the way, I continue.
Speaker 2: Modeled after a human tongue took an average of three hundred and sixty four licks to get to the center. Meanwhile, twenty of the group's volunteers assumed the licking challenge unassisted by machinery. Thank you for that, tdbit, and averaged two hundred and fifty two licks. So I guess we're to surmise that the real human tongue can do it a little bit more efficient efficiently, excuse me, but still a lot, a lot of meat on the proverbial bone there.
Speaker 1: Gotta really be careful you say stuff like that.
Speaker 3: But that was a uh see.
Speaker 1: I love those kind of factorys because you know, listen, robots aren't eating the lollipop, so I go with the human side of that.
Speaker 3: In two hundred. Whatever it was, that's a great fact to it. I like that.
Speaker 4: Have you seen an owl in the wild? Are you an owl?
Speaker 3: Guy?
Speaker 1: There is an owl every night we hear outside my house. We have a bunch of woods outside my house, and we hear an owl every single night.
Speaker 3: It's awesome. I would love to see the owl. I haven't yet, but I hear him. They're awesome.
Speaker 2: We hear one at our place here, Mike, and same deal. We've heard it for months on end and during the pants. At some point this summer during the pandemic, my wife and I were outside by our fire pit and just saw sort of like the creepy silhouette of the owl atop our roof, and that was all we saw. We didn't get to see it fly or anything. We just sort of saw it watching there, gazing upon us.
Speaker 3: It's a great story with a humble brag that you have a fire fit. Well done.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I love that. That's another factoid. That's another factoid added. Okay, are we going to Mike, go fan or exam let's go fan. We're going fan?
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: I like this question a lot. In the middle of a major sporting event, a man called the fan and man descended into the action, interrupting everything and causing a mess. What sport did he interrupt? And bonus? Who was competing?
Speaker 1: It was boxing? Mm hmm, and Ali was it?
Speaker 4: It was not it was Riddick Bow Vander Holyfield.
Speaker 1: Okay, I knew it was. I knew it was heavyweights. I just couldn't remember what won. But I remember when he came came down into the ring. So like most of my tests, I would get partial credit for that.
Speaker 4: I mean, the bonus was just that question. You got the question right. You're two for two and putting your son to shame. Man with your name you are, you're demolishing.
Speaker 3: I never I never should have gave him my name.
Speaker 4: So do you do you have experience with fans running on the field by the way, interrupting?
Speaker 1: No, they I remember they used to do it in football games. I'd see, but football players will hit him. So if you well, again, if you're going on the field, that usually means you're so hammered you don't realize what you're going. I think it was Mike Curtis, decades ago from the Baltimore Cult that so badly laid out a fan that ran onto the field that I don't know why another fan would ever attempt it in their lives outside of the And now I'm going back in time because I know I'm way older than you guys. Do you guys remember the Kissing Bandit?
Speaker 4: Of course?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: So they would let her run out of the field because you knew you were going to get kissed.
Speaker 4: It's an easy mark. Yeah, oh man, that's what would you have What would your strategy have been? Would you have let somebody else tackle? Or is that the moment everybody waits?
Speaker 1: But I'm not wasting my energy. I got enoughing word to worry about the three hundred pounder. I gotta go again, So I'm not running after some guy.
Speaker 3: Someone will get.
Speaker 1: Him, you know, unless he's unless he is, you know, endangering somebody. Yeah, go go do your thing, man, until you get caught.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: We've got we've got a mic category, we've got a go category, and we've got an exam category. Let's go with go, Let's go with go, all right. Inarguably the most famous play consisting of go roots, Doug Flutie completed a game winning hail Mary against Miami. We all know about Doug Flutie Flutie, but who started quarterback for the Canes that year?
Speaker 1: Okay, that was in the eighty three eighty four.
Speaker 3: For the Canes.
Speaker 1: I got there in eighty one to Notre Dame my fresh true freshman year and played against him and Jim Kelly was finishing there.
Speaker 3: I don't think it was Vinnie at that point. Was Dorsey? That was not?
Speaker 2: It was not It was Bernie Kosar.
Speaker 3: Oh, I should have known that against Bernie a bunch.
Speaker 1: Of NFL Oh I got one wrong, dog.
Speaker 2: Gonet Bernie Kosar. So that was nineteen eighty four. You were captain of Notre Dame football team. Then I believe you guys played against Miami and lost.
Speaker 1: That game that was fifty six to seven. Was the year after I left. I was not in that game, and I thought you were going to ask me who was the receiver?
Speaker 3: Who was on the receiving end of the hail? Mary?
Speaker 4: Okay, do you know the answer to that?
Speaker 3: I believe it. I believe it. The last name is Palin.
Speaker 1: I can't remember if it's Scott or who, but I know it's like p H. E. L. E.
Speaker 3: M or something like that. And a guy I.
Speaker 1: Worked with at Notre Dame Erldal Gerald Palan, Okay, Dan the Duke Davis who was the voice of Sports Centers Radio for years. Sure, he did the radio call for Boston College and he has when you see that, when you see that famous play, they play it with the radio call, and that is my buddy Dan, Duke Davis on the call.
Speaker 3: Nice, there's your factoid.
Speaker 2: There it is you beat me to the punch. Do you have any particularly triumphant and or soul crushing plays that you personally experienced out on the field.
Speaker 1: We uh, well, the year before that that play, we played Doug Flutie and Boston College in the Liberty Bowl my junior year in Memphis, and there was an ice storm and I blocked a punt in that game. We won that game eighteen to seventeen. So that was a pretty big play in that game.
Speaker 4: Wow, alrighty nice.
Speaker 3: Other than that, I.
Speaker 1: Don't remember a ton about There's other people I remember more about my career than me. My listen, I had three interceptions and I got tackled.
Speaker 3: By the quarterback every single time I had.
Speaker 1: I had eleven and a half sackson nine years, so I averaged a little over one per year.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 1: It was a nice career of nine years, but there were not many distinguishing numbers.
Speaker 4: Did you ever campaign for any sort of goal line action on offense?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Never did, and no team I was on ever thought about putting me on.
Speaker 4: So do you think you would have thrived in that environment?
Speaker 1: I will always say yes. I will always say I could have succeeded there.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: And now it's even better to say that because we have no way of knowing if I ever would have them know.
Speaker 4: It's a good answer, Ty, it's a really good answer.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: So we've got what two categories left here? We've got the mic, and we've got the exam, the book ends.
Speaker 1: I'm going to save my name for the end, and let's go with exam exam.
Speaker 2: It is all right. I don't know if there was a final exam, but this heis been winning quarterback from the last twenty years.
Speaker 3: Hint.
Speaker 2: Hint famously returned to school for a fifth year, only taking one rigorous classroom dancing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, god, I know this morning, I'm gonna forget the name. We had him on my show. I remember we talked about it with him on the show. It was a I think it was a West Coast guy.
Speaker 4: Current media member, current media member, current college football analyst.
Speaker 3: Yes, oh my god, sc sc S.
Speaker 4: It's correct.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say if I mentioned the jeweled, does that give you any jeweled.
Speaker 3: Again?
Speaker 1: Sounds like a personal thing. But oh so that's ce quarterback? And why why and listen? I was born and raised to hate sc Actually, when I was there, I was playing against Sean Salisbury. Was was one of the quarterbacks there. Sanchez never won the Heisman. Sanchiz uh oh oh, I'm not going to get it.
Speaker 4: Matt Liner, Matt Liner was Matt Liner at the left, Matt.
Speaker 1: Liner, Matt Liner doing stuff with Fox now, correct, that's right.
Speaker 2: He's on the studio show does A does a good job alongside Reggie Bush and Herban Meyer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who will soon be coaching again probably, So I'm okay, I need this last question now to be you know, in a winning percentage.
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, how are you as a dancer? That's what I want to know.
Speaker 1: Uh, it depends on how drunk I am. But but I feel I can move fairly well. Some injuries have cost me some mobility, but I feel I probably can't do many lifts because of the shoulder operations. But I feel that I can. I can move decently well enough.
Speaker 4: Are you enthusiastic in normal times? Obviously on a on a wedding dance floor? Are you one of the first people out there?
Speaker 1: No, I am not, but I will say, this is where we're having some fun of my sons.
Speaker 3: This is where he blows me out of the water. He is.
Speaker 1: People would invite him to weddings even if they didn't know him.
Speaker 3: He is the party of a wedding.
Speaker 1: He goes on when they start to dance and doesn't leave until they're done dancing.
Speaker 3: He is.
Speaker 1: He is the wedding party guy. So I could do it somewhat. He does it to the nth degree.
Speaker 3: Smart.
Speaker 4: Smart. Did you have a class, by the way, in school, be it at the end of your career or anything where it was not necessarily rigorous academically that you'd remember fondly?
Speaker 3: Come on, I went to Notre Dame.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he went to he went to sc I mean enough, said, wow, you know there's no basket weaving at Notre Dame. All right, No, no, we didn't have any of those kind of classes. No blowoffs at all.
Speaker 4: Okay, goodhead, very.
Speaker 2: Very Notre Dame bringing the fire here, all right.
Speaker 3: The elite, the elitist, Notre Dame people.
Speaker 2: Final question in the mic category lsus Mike the tiger, Yeah, eats one hundred and forty pounds of meat per week? Is this more or less than what the average American eats of meat in a year?
Speaker 3: One hundred pounds in a week.
Speaker 1: Does an average American eat more than one hundred pounds of any kind of any kind of meat?
Speaker 2: One hundred and forty pounds of meat? So, yeah, any kind of meat, any any yeah, poultry, red meat, whatever.
Speaker 3: In a year.
Speaker 1: I have got to believe human beings eat more than that.
Speaker 3: I know I do.
Speaker 4: The answer is, you're correct, it is less. The average human eats two hundred and twenty two pounds of meat average American.
Speaker 3: I throw that.
Speaker 1: I throw that off because I'm up in the probably the five hundred pound ring.
Speaker 4: What is your annual meat intake?
Speaker 3: A lot? Are you are?
Speaker 4: Your weekly meat intake?
Speaker 3: Let's say, probably close to the tiger?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 1: And that's all kinds that that's me, that red meat, that's chicken. I mean, I'll do it all. I don't I don't discriminate.
Speaker 4: Has there been a go to dish this year spending more time at home a meat dish, be it grilling, be it baking, whatever, Has there been something go to for you, especially in twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: I'm a big griller.
Speaker 1: I have a grill here, and since you know, I was home all the time, my work commute lasted, you know, a set of steps, so a.
Speaker 3: Lot of burgers, a lot of burgers, a lot of cheeseburgers.
Speaker 1: Probably one of the best meat eating experiences I had. Again, this may predate you guys. If you ever heard of a place called the ground Round Restaurant, Oh, yeah, sure.
Speaker 3: So it's a place.
Speaker 1: Where they gave you free peanuts and you could just throw the shells on the floor, you know, and be messy. And me and my two brothers when we were growing up, one night they had all you all wings could eat for X amount of dollars and like the beers were like fifty cents.
Speaker 3: So it was it was a slaughter fest.
Speaker 1: So at the end of it, my brothers, I can't remember which one had the most, but one of them ate in the one thirties, the other eight in the one teams, and I brought up the rear. I was in the nineties as far as wings eating and gallons of beer being drunk, So it was, Uh, that was probably one of the better eating displays I had, definitely had. I think it was a low nineties ninety two ninety three wings over a matter of a few hours, we were.
Speaker 4: Just I don't want to know what your next morning was like after a collective nearly three hundred combined wings.
Speaker 1: Probably don't want to know what the next after three hours was like on that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was a bad night.
Speaker 1: It's a place that had fans running like at low speeds. And my brother Greg is like six', nine and at one point we were doing something.
Speaker 3: Stupid he threw his hands in the air and his hand and right in the. Fan luckily it was luckily it was slow, moving and he, was, yeah there you, go there. GO i like.
Speaker 2: That, oh, man is there a particular food do you think you could eat more? Of, because like we have a thing on our, Show dan loves his. PIZZA i have a weird fascination with pumpkin. PIE i THINK i could eat the most like pumpkin pie of any food. Item what would that one thing be for?
Speaker 1: You? Uh probably there are two THINGS i did On i've done a lot of things on the, show but one of the THINGS i THINK i could compete well in is. Bacon there was a one time when we were doing the show still AT, espn there was some stat about somebody who ATE x amount of bacon AND x amount of, time and we were talking about it on the.
Speaker 3: Show me And mike looked at each other, like that's.
Speaker 1: Nothing so we had THE espn calf cook us up a few pounds of bacon and they brought it on the set and we we were co rushing. Bacon the other THING i did IS i ate thirty eight mini donuts in like four minutes or something like.
Speaker 4: That it's a great. Call but IF i had.
Speaker 1: To pick, one if it was, nice crispy, BACON i THINK i could hold my own against anybody in.
Speaker 4: That what is your preferred bacon cooking?
Speaker 3: METHOD i need it.
Speaker 1: CRISPY i Mean i'll put it in the, pan you, know sizzle it, up and then you, know dump it out and drain, it let it let it really kind of crisp. UP i gotta have a CRISPY i don't like that, limp fatty looking. BACON i need it.
Speaker 3: CRISP i like.
Speaker 4: That now do you know about the oven method where you start your oven from off and you preheat and get it to like four hundred degrees in a, pan it cooks it. Slower you still can get to have it as crispy as you, want but because you cook it, slower it stays meteor and. Crispy that's WHAT i do recommend. It, yeah how.
Speaker 3: How long do you cook?
Speaker 4: It it's a longer Cook it's about twenty. Minutes, yeah it takes about twenty. Minutes so in a regular. Pan, yes you basically put it in an oven that's off and then you set it to four hundred degrees and it cooks as it preheats and comes to.
Speaker 3: Temperature, okay you Know i'm gonna try.
Speaker 4: That IT'S i, mean we've got nothing but, time.
Speaker 3: Folks there you, go, MAN i like it.
Speaker 2: All, Right SO i think a pretty successful campaign here on yeahps on the trivia game quitting. Yourself, well as a TRIVIA i got.
Speaker 1: MORE i got more right than. Wrong SO i mean that's that's that's.
Speaker 4: A win golanoscopy.
Speaker 2: Tie, yeah it's not.
Speaker 4: Bad it's you can use, that by the, way and any of your future endeavors feel.
Speaker 3: FREE i don't.
Speaker 1: GOLOSCOPY i have trouble pronouncing it fair Like i'm giving myself a.
Speaker 4: COLONOSCOPY H, WELL i mean an intellectual one is looking at this one right, now an intellectual. Colonoscopy. Tie is there a better place to end it than? THERE i was going to ask him About Notre. DAME i guess About Notre. Dame asking About Notre dame.
Speaker 2: A tie in if you want to talk about intellectual. Colonoscopies so, So Notre dame doing quite well this. Year you obviously have a pretty obvious connection with the, university you. KNOW i Just i'm curious to get your thoughts on how you see the rest of the season playing. Out you, know it's been cut a little bit short given some of the decisions by THE Acc, conference but it seems, like barring any kind of catastrophe this, weekend we're headed towards Another Notre Dame clemson rematch and then perhaps a. Playoff generally, speaking how do you feel about This irish team compared to some of the versions we've seen in the recent.
Speaker 1: Past, well the ONE i compare to is the twenty twelve, year the year both my boys were on the. Team mike was the starting right, guard and they went undefeated before they got shelled in the title game Against. Alabama but the COMPARISONS i have are that defense in twenty twelve was a top defense in the nation and then they just you, know didn't play well And alabama played really well and they put up forty some points on. Us the offense that year was basically a two hundred, rush two hundred pass. Offense there was a red shirt, Freshman Everett, golson who was a, quarterback didn't throw. Great Tommy, reese the current offensive coordinator For Notre, dame was the kind of the bullpen quarterback then he would come into. Times this offense is a better throwing. Offense this defense is almost as, good not.
Speaker 3: Quite but they're right there with that.
Speaker 1: Defense AND i think that's one of the reasons they're where they are is this. Defense this defense over the last few years has picked up a lot of. Speed AND i know a lot of people, say, well you, Know clemson didn't Have Trevor lawrence or four starters on, defense and that's all, true but you, know you play with who's on the. Field that's just the way it. Goes we'll have another shot here to see what. HAPPENS i do Think Notre dame has enough to compete because of the. Defense that's WHY i thought they would compete well in the twenty twelve game because of the. Defense but it didn't happen that. Way so we'll.
Speaker 3: See Ian book is having a heck of a.
Speaker 1: Year he's not the greatest passer, around but he finds out how to do it to get a, win and he runs extremely well at.
Speaker 3: TIMES i think the big thing about this year.
Speaker 1: Is the teams outside the top four will be rooting For alabama And Notre. Dame reason, Being alabama will probably Play florida in THE sec title. Game if they Be, Florida florida's got two, losses they're. Out If Notre dame Beats, Clemson clemson now has two losses and they're out because if they go the other, way If florida Beats alabama in a good, game there could be a chance Both alabama And florida make The final. Four and If clemson were and or If clemson were to Beat Notre dame in a close, game you could See clemson And Notre dame possibly being in the. Playoffs so that's kind of where we. ARE i do Think Notre dame does have the ability to contend this.
Speaker 2: Year, yes and it does feel like they've gotten better as the season's going a little bit. Deeper you.
Speaker 1: Know, well one of the, REASONS i, mean it took a. While they're replacing their three top receivers and you're Including Chase claypool's having A rookie of The year year with The, steelers but they were placing three of their top receivers and one of the guys that's really kind of stepped up has been a true Freshman Michael mayer at the tight.
Speaker 3: End so that takes a little.
Speaker 1: While you, know your new receivers on the, outside you, know freshman tight end to go along with a junior tight end In Trouble Who's, tremble who's doing a nice job obviously as. Well SO i think it took a little bit of. Time they were running the, ball, well it took a little time to get the passing game. Going and then again When ian needs to run to get, yards he does a great job doing.
Speaker 3: That so, yeah they've built nice.
Speaker 1: And Clark lee their defensive, coordinator that's going to be the issue going forward is he is going to be a candidate for head.
Speaker 3: Coaching jobs out.
Speaker 1: There Notre dame's got to find a, way hopefully to hang on to him Like dabbo And clenson had been able to hang on To Brent vnnables their, decordinator which means paying a lot of.
Speaker 2: Money m, hmm pay that man his, money all. Right, well his name Is Mike. Golick he has a Noted Notre dame, alum but of course AN espn college football analyst and the host of The Fan. Exam, again we got two weeks of games, left starting here on the eighth Of, december running through until the final game on the. Seventeenth we wish you, Well, mike thanks so much for stopping. By, well we'll have to check out the game and best of.
Speaker 3: Luck thanks, man my. Pleasure, guys take care of, it.
Speaker 2: All, Right dan fun conversation with Mister. Goliic, yeah you love that word fun show funge. People people have pointed that, out AND i love. IT i love that people listen so much that they understand our our, leanings what we what we use as crutch. WORDS i use the word obviously far too. Much but that was. Fantastic i've love long been a fan Of Mike. Golock i'm glad he has zeroed into college. Football of, course he was on the radio forever and. EVER i thought he was a good. SPORT i am happy that the Word goalin oscopy got used a number of. Times that was a goal of. Mine didn't and didn't offend, him which is always WHY i would at this.
Speaker 4: Point at this, point SO i ANYTIME i can do anything and tie it to a game show or trivia, tie you, Know i'm a. Fan SO i really appreciate him coming.
Speaker 2: ON i realize this AFTER i said it THAT i don't know for sure what what is that one food for you that you could eat the most Of.
Speaker 4: When he said it's it's probably nothing, sweet BECAUSE i definitely feel LIKE i have ceilings with sweet foods WHERE i just feel. Gross but when he said the mini donuts thing that took me back to high. School they had that in our little cafeteria shop. There the DOUGHNUT i used to pound the no not donut holes like the hostess donuts like, you they're either powdered or the chocolate. Frosted not a. Sponsor, OR i think you are like a cinnamon. Crumb maybe as there's an, option not a, sponsor but if, somebody If leland host is, Listening i'll take a. Case, yeah that took me about what is my one food That tacos are pretty interesting to me because there's nothing particularly, starchy whereas like a pizza, dough you know it's going to fill you up pretty. Quickly bacon's not, bad but the grease factor your mouth could the mouth feel is not ideal after a? While could you eat?
Speaker 2: It could you eat a Whole domino's pizza?
Speaker 3: Large?
Speaker 4: Dobbal but, SEE i could probably eat a pizza that. SIZE i don't know IF i would Do. Dominoes, yeah, yes so my answer is, yes BUT i would want it different. Afferent, okay, yeah, yeah, YEAH i could do an entire. Pizza i'm trying to think of like the, small more bite sized things LIKE i could probably pound a lot of. OYSTERS i know that's a thing that like maybe a fried, oyster because those are they're, sliming they they slide right. Down. Ty do you like a raw? Oyster?
Speaker 2: No not? Really do you like a like a fried or a cooked, oyster a roasted?
Speaker 4: OYSTER i Think i've.
Speaker 2: Had fried oysters before they were, OKAY i don't know IF i don't know If i'd be able to eat a whole lot of. Them didn't we do a thing recently where we talked about chicken nuggets or chicken fingers.
Speaker 4: MAYBE i Know Andy staples on his podcast they did that and then he tried to see how many he could, do and he. DID i think low, sixties raising charity that IF i could go, anywhere IF i getting where close to? That oh, Man, Okay i'm trying to. Think, Okay so something that's not too heavy starch, wise not too heavy dough. Wise pizza is really hard to do a lot of the hot dog challenge is not all that interesting to. Me You you've said pumpkin pie. Repeatedly what COULD i what COULD i just wreck a million OF.
Speaker 2: I THINK i finally found a question that you don't have a quick answer.
Speaker 4: To an immediate, food quick food answer, to.
Speaker 2: Because you're so deep in the weeds with all things food that maybe you've never thought about food in this.
Speaker 4: Manner, Yeah i'm going to say.
Speaker 2: Tacos i'm going to SAY i could put away a lot of, tacos especially on a thinner corn.
Speaker 4: Tortilla, YEAH i think that's probably my. Answer But i'm thinking like the bite sized THINGS i could just eat NonStop at a, Wedding LIKE i could eat a lot of shrimp cocktail, PROBABLY i THINK i could eat a lot of shrimp. Cocktail how many baby carrots could you eat in one? Sitting, WELL i baby. CARROTS i mean it's all, water so it's going to fill you up in a different. Way BUT i could eat a.
Speaker 2: Lot you, know baby carrots don't exist in the. Wild i'm intimately. Familiar, Yes, Okay, god what is?
Speaker 4: That what is that small? Hand like if you're at a wedding tie And i've talked about this With jeff On Big Boy. Bets everybody listen To Big Boy, Bets Big Boy Bets Dot. Show if you're at a wedding and you see that there is this or, derv this, appetizer this, bite what is it that you would? Like actually try to find the door where the servers are coming out of to cut that server off and get. REFILLED i, mean the pigs in a blanket are sure a, classic just like a classic never.
Speaker 2: Dies what about? That like mini barbecue? Meatball, now the meatballs aren't bad you could do a lot of those those mini barbecue like the sweet and sour. Meatballs, almost, YEAH i, COULD i really. Could maybe that's mine all, right well right in solid verbal at gmail dot, com hit us up on, social let us know your answer to, this and of course You're it's my favorite part Of it's my favorite part of the The Hot Dog Eating championship every, year The nathan's thing when they roll through the different, belts when it's just like the gios eating the puff, pastry the blah blah, blah LIKE i love them rolling through the different belts they.
Speaker 3: Have that is.
Speaker 2: Amazing it's like Nadal On. Clay somebody's got That guilloza belt and it's just their one corner of the universe that they're better at than everybody.
Speaker 4: Else you hear the, oysters you hear the. Wings but then that year THAT i Heard, gioza that's a real thing that is. ANNOUNCED i think it Was Joey chesnutt IF i, mean if you're a gambling, man it's Probably Joey. Chestnutt but when they announced that he was the in, fact and just let it be known in case anybody doubts. Him The guilloza belt also belongs guiosa To Joey. Chestnut oh it's.
Speaker 2: Amazing, well look give us a call four oh eight verbal one as you're watching the games this. Weekend that's The. Reverblind don't forget calling stream of. Consciousness let us know what's on your. Mind you can also always EMAIL u solidverbal at gmail dot. Com don't forget to subscribe to the show if you have not. Already and we're going to hop over to verbowlers dot com now to Our patreon and do a little thing we.
Speaker 4: Like to call The. Brewfo, dan would you like to hear all Of Joey chestnut's? RECORDS i have him in front of. Me you ready do?
Speaker 3: It let's?
Speaker 4: Close then well we'll go to THE. BREWIFO i love doing the. Brufo by the, way you should definitely go to verballers dot com to get in on that. Action hot dogs seventy four hard boiled eggs one hundred and forty one. Minutes is that a? Food AFTER i give each of these, foods do you think you could not compete With Joey? Chestnut but do you think that could be something you could?
Speaker 3: Eat and?
Speaker 2: Mass hard boiled? Eggs definitely not the yolks would dry you, out that's. True, Yeah glaze donuts fifty five and eight. Minutes i'm fifty five and eight. Minutes, ty we got a lot to go through. Here you gotta give. Me, NO i, mean is that something that you would feel good about your pounding?
Speaker 3: Ability?
Speaker 4: No, No, no pulled pork sandwiches forty five and ten. Minutes taco bell soft shell beef tacos fifty three and ten. MINUTES i might be able to. CONTEND i might be able to contend. There one hundred and eighty two and thirty. Minutes chicken wings parentheses long, Form, no no. Chance, no but you could pound a bunch of chicken. Wings i've seen you eat. Wings you're good with. THAT i can eat, wings BUT i can't eat, yeah, no, no, no of course it's Crystal, hamburger so like sort of a slider size. Bird oh do you? Think do you think you could do damage with? Sliders how many did he?
Speaker 2: Eat?
Speaker 4: Well more than? You one hundred and three and eight.
Speaker 2: Minutes, NO i couldn't contend to that, degree BUT i could eat.
Speaker 4: Lot shrimp shrimp? Wantons WHOA i could do shrimp? Wantons would you on his?
Speaker 2: Level?
Speaker 3: YEAH i.
Speaker 4: COULD i could do a ton of shrimp. Wantons, YEAH i could probably do thirty he did three hundred and ninety and eight. Minutes twinkies one hundred and twenty one and six minutes, STANDARD i guess medium formed chicken wings four hundred and thirteen and twelve. Hours we got to Get chestnut on the show to talk about.
Speaker 2: This we have to.
Speaker 3: Do that's.
Speaker 4: Sandwiches mutton, sandwich Says, LAMB i believe you've eighty one sandwiches in ten, minutes or maybe it's, Yeah Big max thirty two and thirty eight. Minutes whoa To molly's one hundred and two and twelve. Minutes that's that's a bad morning, after right. There, yeah grilled cheese sandwiches forty seven and ten. Minutes here it is ty. Guiosa you know what a guillosa is?
Speaker 1: Like the mini?
Speaker 4: Dumpling, sure three hundred and eighty four and ten, Minutes holy col thirty eight point four dumplings per. Minuto pastrami sandwiches from cats is half, portion twenty five seven out sandwiches in ten.
Speaker 2: Minutes have you ever had a cat?
Speaker 4: Sandwich, well, okay let's be, clear it's not a feline. Sandwich it's, yeah Kat, Z, Yes i've been to kts. IS i think it's pretty. Good, okay those and they're, tall they're, not they're not diminutive, sandwiches ice cream sandwiches twenty five and a half and six. Minutes here it is, here it is. Okay parogi, okay one hundred and sixty five and eight. Minutes holy, cow could you eat forty perogis in a? Sitting forty? Perogies yeah, no, no nothing, timed but just, Like, Okay i'm, Hungry i'm sitting down For Perogi fest twenty. Twenty no, chance forty no, way Forty, no that's a quarter of what he did in eight. Minutes sausage and cheese colachies sort of A texas And. Binada IF i had to, EXPLAIN i don't. Know it's hard to. Explain they're, delicious, though fifty six in eight. Minutes jesus Uh pepperoni rolls forty three and ten, minutes and here we are ty full. Circle hostess. Donuts what is your, Guess Joey chestnut six Minutes Hostess, DOUGHNUTS i do not have if it's, powdered, frosted or cinnamon Crumb minuto over fifty seven to fifty seven and six. Minutes, hi how's that even? Possible we're talking about a king amongst. MEN i don't. Know final, Question, ty what do you Think Joey chestnut's a good? Kisser has any sort of command of? Restraint that's all you.
Speaker 3: Do i'm?
Speaker 2: Done, yeah all, Right well join us soberballers dot.
Speaker 3: Com.
Speaker 2: YEAH i don't know if you want to after, this but we've got more. Fun yeah, fun, Sorryhead.
Speaker 4: Yeah i'm. Excited i'm. Done i've said EVERYTHING i want to say After hostess donut.
Speaker 2: Talk for that guy over, There Dan, rubinstein for, Myself ty Hild, rhett we'll see you as. Soon stay, solid, peace