Speaker 1: A switch high, understand deep to shutter field, and it's gone, Wow.
Speaker 2: His first big league swing is gonna be a grand Slam home run swing.
Speaker 1: Good time to.
Speaker 3: Look to the soup. Welcome back to The Call Up, your go to podcast on the future stars of Major League Baseball. You got arm Layton, Jack McMullen, and we're talking promotions today. We got a couple of call ups as well, which is always a lot of fun. I think we're gonna have a lot more call ups coming soon. But it's promotion season. We always see it right at the end of like right out the tail of the All Star Week, and then also just after that you get the end of the Complex League and that's when we get some the top performers there are getting bumped up. So we're going to talk about some of those guys as well, and then just get kind of get to this point of the year and it's time to get guy guys up to double A, get them up to the upper levels or maybe even triple A if they could maybe help a big league team down the stretch. A bunch of different players to talk about in that regard, and I'm excited because we're going literally all the way from those complex guys moving their way up to some under the radar big leaguers that made their debuts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, we're gonna do a big league call ups and kind of work down sequentially, so we'll end with some of the big ticket guys that are getting off the Complex and going to low A. But yeah, two notable big league call ups, and there have been some other big league call ups mixed in here over the last few weeks, but as of late, James Trianto's with the Cubs and Christian Curtis with the Pirates, and we'll start with those and then trickle down to the promotions. We'll go big league, triple A, Double A. I don't think there's any load of high A, so we'll go Complex to Lowe after that to wrap up the program. But I want to start with James Treanto's the Cubs here. James Treanto's officially a major leaguer, by the way, congratulations to him getting a base hit in his first major league get bat. James Treanto's has been in the Cub system for a while and has been a theorized trade chip for a while. Twenty three year old can kind of do it all. So far in the minor leagues this year with Triple A Iowa for the most part, and for the most part played second base and third base. But he's got nine starts in center, he's got five starts in left, and he made a start in right as well. But James Treanto's what didn't stop was hitting. In eighty eight games with Triple A Iowa, hit three zero six twenty four doubles, seven homers, also swiped eighteen bags. K rate very very low in the ops set at seven to eighty four. So James Treanto's it seems like long overdue, but a major league debut for.
Speaker 3: Him, Yeah, He's always just been in a tough situation there with the way that this Cubs infield is set up and just in general, and then you've got like Matt Shaw ahead of you, who is basically you with the sliders turned up slightly, just slightly, Because I think the most important thing about a player of this archetype is going to be the defensive value. And while Triontos has done a great job to make himself more versatile, I think there's the challenge of not really being great at a specific spot, whereas when you look at you know what you get from Matt Shaw. He's developed into a really solid defender at the hot corner and the value you didn't even get from him if he was playing second base and not really needed obviously with Nico Horner. But I think the big thing with Treantos this year is that you look at last season, I think there was some frustration offensively, and I know he's a little bit banged up, but it was a down year from in a lot of ways. He just wasn't hitting for average, and this is a guy that has to hit for average. He's never gonna walk a ton. He's aggressive, but he's that hit tool driven aggressive guy that can get to a lot of different pitches, make a lot of impressive swings on pitches and tough spots, but sometimes just gets a little bit expensive. So he's been more selective this year. But if you're a hit tool driven guy, if you can add him out per hour in the average exus velocity department, it's gonna help the batting average on balls and play because those ground balls and those line drives and even maybe the gappers they're just going to have a little bit more life. You're gonna be able to beat. He split the defenders, whether it's on the ground in the infield or in the air in the outfield just a little bit more frequently, and I think that's been the difference here. You have a mile per hour uptick for Treantos in the eggs of velocity department, and from eighty six and a half, which is starting to get towards the lower end of qualifying to eighty seven and a half, which is, you know, more than fine. He's also improved the launch angle this year on average about five degrees better, so just more line drives less on the ground. You pair that with some better swing decisions, and it just seems like he took a bad year and fixed it, you know, and really improved on things. He was twenty two years old in Triple A last year, so to come back this year make those adjustments, it's been a much improved season. It is funny that in Triple A Jack the A three to zero six three forty four four forty slash line is a ninety six WRC plus there go. But I think you just look more at the player himself and where he went from being a two fifty eight three fifteen three sixty nine slash line and say this guy is much better. He cut the strikeout right even lower. I still think the swing decisions are going to be an important thing from especially at the big league level. But I think you very clearly here have a solid utility piece that still has the upside. I think a lot of teams are going to see him as this as like a second division regular, and I still think he's a trade ship. The reason why he's up the big league team is he was already in the forty so you didn't have to make it right a forty man move, and he could plug in for you. And you know, I think swim relative to most guys just needing to plug in and make their debut. But I still think Triantos is a trade chip for this team.
Speaker 2: It seems like it. They have plenty of guys that could be trade chips in Treonto is just the most recent example of that guy. Another guy, and it's unfortunate because to this point he's already been optioned back to Triple A and placed on the injured list, which sucks. But Christian Curtis made his debut about ten days ago with the Pittsburgh Pirates and it went really well. He threw five scoreless innings. He cared four in his major league debut. Curtis was a guy that I think not many were anticipating getting up to the major leagues this year. Fifty three innings at a four to seventy LRA with al Tuna, goes up to Indianapolis by an era output struggled and also walked more guys there in twenty four and two thirds he walked seventeen. But Pittsburgh was running into a situation where they had innings to fill, and he comes up and goes five innings, a two hit shutout baseball in a long relief out. But he goes back to tripa A. He's placed on the injured list. Unfortunate for Christian Curtis. But this is a guy that seems like he is part of the Pittsburgh pitching plans moving forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they said side discomfort, that's like a hockey injury to descripture there, I would.
Speaker 2: Assume side his code word for obleakue.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, I would assume so as well, and as long as it's not the arm, right, Because Curtis, I would say that if there's one person that did really bank on Curtis debuting this year. It's our guy Ja staff It does a great job on the call up socials, but specifically with the Pirate system. He made his debut obviously on our Pirates Stop Prospect List episode on here and crushed it. And I love Curtis, but Jay loves Curtis even more. And it's easy to understand why the fastball is lively. I mean, he's getting nineteen and changed vert from above average extension and it's just high spin gets on you quick your pair of that with the assortment of secondaries that he has, and I think this is a guy that at worst is going to be a really useful kind of Swiss Army knife for a big league team. I look at I know Tyler Phillips for the Marlins has had to end up becoming more of a starter, but I look at a guy in that role where it's like you could throw him in the seventh in the stuffle ward, you could stretch him out as a starter, and like this is what he ended up doing as the extra man in a double header and gave you five innings. I think I'm piggyback, but I think the command is the big thing to monitor here, and I think that's where it could be holding him back from his upside of being like a strong number four starter, which is really what I think Curtis can be. But if he's walking you know, nearly five per nine, which he's done, you know, roughly this year, it might be more of a hey, we're gonna have to deploy him in these you know, piggyback, maybe your multi ending relief or still I think that stuff can play at leverage, so it it's a Swiss army knife, but also kind of at the same part you're trying to figure out what's best for him. But at the end of the day, this is a big league role. And I always mentioned Curtis because he's one of the more unique medical situations ever. This is why I reached out to your fiance because I'm like, I've never heard of this before. She's gonna be an orthopedic surgeon. I'm like, how does this happen? We talked about this in the past, but like he has Tommy John surgery, keeps having weird sensations and almost like a burning feeling when he's throwing, to the point where it was debilitating. They take they look at it turns out there's still stitches in his arm from the surgery that were pushing up against the nerve. There was nerve damage. They were concerned that he may never be able to throw a baseball again. He comes back, he's able to throw, he still gets drafted. He has the success that he has you know, had and has just gotten better and better the further he's been removed from that surgery. And it's just it's incredible. So I've never heard of that. Apparently it's not as absurdly uncommon like it's it's it's a mistake, but like sometimes it just happens. Apparently the information I received, but I just feel like for a picture, it's like that can't happen. Regardless, it's a really amazing story and he's got a root for and just I don't want to do it again. But like also could be trade bait because they have so many freaking arms. But I think this is a guy that they should be looking at once he's healthy as a guy that can actually help their bullpen, which isn't great.
Speaker 2: Know their bullpen is not good at all, And obviously you have to look at external additions for them coming up in the next week or so, and you have to think the Pirates are going to be active on the reliever market at the deadline. But if they can have an internal ad and a guy like Christian Curtis, that can be a heck of an ad. And they've got some guys sitting down there in Indianapolis that are throwing a hundred like Antoine Kelly was a guy that was came up pumping one hundred and one miles an hour, went down to Indianapolis and was just hanging out there for a while. So they've got plenty of guys internally that could be a jolt, but what they have right now at the major league level in the bullpen is probably just not good enough. But those are the two major league call ups that we wanted to hit on here, and now we get to the minor league promotions, and none bigger than franklin Arius, the top five prospect in baseball according to you at just baseball dot com, franklin Arius gets the bump up to triple A WORCESTA. Franklin Arius has been one of the best players in all of minor league baseball this year. He is absolutely a candidate fort Minor League Player of the Year and just baseball at season's end. But he's twenty years old. He's twenty years old for the rest of the season. And Arius has already played two games in Worcester. Hasn't gone well. He's zero for eight, has driven in a rundown. But in seventy five games with Double A Portland A nine to ninety three ops, he had nineteen homers, hit three eighteen with an OVP over four hundred.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is an interesting one where it's like you're gonna be looking at when could this guy potentially get caught up here? Because by the way, do you know who started at shortstop for the Boston Red Sox over the last five games Monasterio?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was Sung chey Chang For a minute, I think now you.
Speaker 3: Know what happened, A Sun chan Chang.
Speaker 2: They optioned him when Mead got acquired the option Chang.
Speaker 3: This saw enough. I thought he was playing all right.
Speaker 2: He was playing all right.
Speaker 3: Mance Area has actually been playing alright too, But I don't know. This is one where everyone was kind of wondering, why is it taken so long to get him up to Triple A? Also Arius. So this is a fascinating conversation because Arius has clearly added a ton of thump this year, and we've talked about that ad nauseum on the show, right, I mean, we're talking about a guy that had never hit more than nine home runs in a minor league season and has nineteen already this year and then reached that number, you know, the the nine plateau like it. I think it felt like a month into the season. So clearly there's an uptick in power. But the interesting thing is that the ball was flying in the minor leagues more than ever. So I've noticed, like when I put that out, some people like went straight to Arius and were like, well, no, no, Like, does this mean we take Arius his power uptick with the grain AsSalt, Like, No, I don't think so, because he's clearly made improvements. He's a little bit more physical. Uh, there's some swing adjustments that have allowed him to get into a little bit more thump and uses over half better. And I think he's just not nineteen now, he's twenty, and like that makes a big difference for you physically, as will probably twenty one and twenty two. So he's going to keep growing but I do think there's something to be said, like maybe that power breakout would have looked like fourteen home runs at this point in stead in nineteen. What I am interested to see is like, what will the batted ball data look like for him at Triple A, because just to like put it into context, as of the twenty first I tweeted this a week ago, but Hi A slug was three point fifty eight last year, it's four fourteen this year. Double A slug three sixty last year, four twelve this year, and then Triple A is the same because they use the big league ball four twenty one to four twenty four. I have to like compare these minor league balls. I would love to like hire a fyssystem and have them look at it. My guess is that the seams are just we're way too high on these Double A and High A balls. And I think teams were saying, like, this is ridiculous. Our pitchers are getting up to Triple A and throwing with a pool queue instead of you know, the official league balls basically that they were using in Double A. You remember the old ones in the Little League, And so I'm guessing that they tried to maybe bridge that gap a little bit, but in doing so and flattening those seams, I think we have a huge different That's my theory. I got to compare the balls, but regardless that's going to contribute some I still think Arius is clearly, clearly, clearly generated this uptick in power. What I'm just curious on is why did the Red Sox wait so long to bring this guy up to triple A? Is did they feel like you really needed to continue to just dominate and be one of the best hitters in the minor leagues double A. I understand he's twenty years old, but they've been so aggressive pushing him the last few years. He got a taste of double A at the end of the season last year for ten games. I thought that was interesting. But I'm excited to see just what the bad of ball data looks like. I think there's a clear uptick and power that is tangible and will translate. But does it translate one hundred percent in triple A or is it, you know, eighty eight percent of what we've seen so far. That's why I'm curious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So what I will say is, like Roman, I'm looking at other top prospects for the Red Sox in recent memory, and like Roman played what ninety four games in Portland and then played ninety three games in Worcester, so it was pretty even. And those were over the course of two years. With a guy like Marcelo Meyer, I'm curious how he did it as well. I'm pulling him up at the moment. Meyer in twenty four played the whole year in Portland, so that was seventy seven games. Meyer played one hundred and twenty games in Portland in forty three games in Worcester. Now, obviously this is like injury dependent and situationally dependent, but I wonder if they kind of like their top prospects hanging out in Double A just because of the competition and the level of competition there. Double A like.
Speaker 3: It's stuff you're pitching.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, the stuff is just better in Double A than in Triple A. But in Triple A guys know how to pitch and they throw eighty nine.
Speaker 3: It's a good point. And when you're ris in you have such good bats to ball. He could almost like his eyes could almost get like a little bit laster on. I know he's over for right to start, but it is a good point there, and I think it's something worth noting. Regardless they make the move to get him up to triple A. You know, here at the end of July and you look at this Red Sox team that is very much in it now five games over five hundred, which is just ridiculous, and they acquire Curtis Meade huge, so glad he dodged the bullet. They're getting hit on the hand or on the wrist. But you look at Arius and say, this is a pretty clear easy way to potentially upgrade your shortstop position if Monasterio is struggling or whoever you plug in is struggling. And I'm not even saying, you know, you expect this guy to be Arius to be a one twenty WRC plus out of the gate. But he's gonna give you some thump. He's going to defend, and he's gonna give you, I think, pretty good at bats. You put all that you can be in the nine hole, and he's gonna be valuable to you. So I'm looking at Arius as a guy that if this team's competitive, could really help them down the stretch.
Speaker 2: I think there's going to be an external addition here that might mitigate that. So yeah, stay tuned to the Just Baseball Show on a Tuesday afternoon to maybe get in the way of Franklin Arius getting up and playing shortstop for the Boston Wells this year.
Speaker 3: Last thing I'll say on that, because I know what we'll talk about on the JB Show is how untouchable is Franklin Arius to this front office to where like, if you're able to get a zach Netto or it's a good question, then all of a sudden, are you willing to do it? I know this prospect show, so people are probably like, oh, no, no, no, no, but right or right, I could see Craig Breswell, a guy who really wants to prove the I mean, a playoff run gives him so much job security. Oh for what turbulent year this has been setting himself up with a shortstop. The thing is is Arius is a better defender than Netto right now by a good bit. So it's a fun conversation I'm looking forward to having on the JB Show.
Speaker 2: But if I told you that you got three and a half years of zach Netto and he could roll out of bed and go thirty thirty at Fenway par you're thinking, you're thinking two, three, four times over about this. So again, it's a JB Show conversation that we will have shortly. Jonathan Santucci pitcher in the New York Mets organization. He is up from Double A to Triple A. Santucci has been a bright spot in an underwhelming season at the major league. In minor league level for the New York Mets. Twenty three year old lefty at A Duke Santucci this year ninety and two thirds innings with Double A Binghamton at A three five seven ERA. He's punching out twelve hitters per nine innings, one hundred and twenty k's in ninety and two thirds innings he has faced three hundred and seventy five batters and four have taken him deep. That's hard to wrap your brain around. But Santucci deserved call up to Triple A Syracuse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is the big test because seems like all of these Mets pitching prospects gets the Triple aqs and just just can't throw the way that they were thrown before. And that's the Triple A ball thing in general that we've talked about. But I don't know, it's just been on a different level when you get to Syracuse, for like Tong and Whenninger and Sproute, you remember how shaky he was when he got up there, and it's mostly a triple A thing, But it's just it's been very tangible with Syracuse in particular, slow start for Santucci and then he's just snapped into it. If you remember he had a great second half last year. But Santucci, if you go from May eighth onwards, so you're really just eliminating five starts. The first five starts, he's striking out thirty one percent of batters walking nine point eight, so slightly elevated. But if you're a ten percent with his stuff as a left like that's palatable. The concern is you get to triple a all of a sudden, that ten percent turns into twelve thirteen real quick. So that's just something a monitor. But it's better because he was walking a lot of guys in the beginning. The ability to strike guys out that you alluded to from the left side is just what draws you here, and the fact that the command has been better as the years progressed overall is really exciting when we had him on the show earlier this year. Such an easy guy to bet on, it's easy to forget that it wasn't really focused on pitching until a little bit later in his collegiate career. So this is a guy that, yeah, he's twenty three years old, but I think is a little bit more raw the pitcher than your typical collegiate twenty three year old guy. So, you know, I think people might be looking at him next year at twenty four years old, is getting ready for his big league debut. I doubt they, Adam, you know, they have him debut this year for you know, some of the things that we talked about actually off the year. It's like, if you don't have to add a guy to the forty with the potential lockout, why would you, you know, for the sake of two or three starts at the end of the year, now, eliminate yourself from being able to communicate with your prospect when it's locked out. Wouldn't make sense sense. So people might look at Santucci next year and say, ah, he's twenty four, it's time to go. But I don't think i'd look at him as the same as like another college twenty four year old arm it will be time to go and it will be time for him to debut and potentially impact the team there. But I'd still look at it and say like, hey, this is a guy from like pitching age that would be more like twenty one twenty two to me. So I still think there's a lot of here to continue to be had. He's still finding that third pitch more consistently, but I think he's made strides in that regard, and I think he's gonna be a really volatile, like not really valid. I think he's gonna be a volatile four starter where you see flashes of this like high end three French two when he's on, and then you're gonna have some of those frustrating addings where he can't get you out of the fourth and as he progresses, hopefully you know, he skews more towards the uh the sixth inning starts.
Speaker 2: Yep, one hundred percent. All right. We will push to other Triple A call ups in a moment, but before that, let's wish another Triple A call up to go over for you. It's Louis stal leone of the Baltimore Orioles daily OneD twenty three year old left handed pitcher Louis da Leone this year with Double A Chesapeake is a bay sock eighty one innings. He's punched out one hundred guys compared to forty two walks. He's got a four to three ERA so far in Double A. He is in a somewhat depleted oriole system. They've taken a down term. It seems like a organization health wise after so many graduations about two three years ago. But Luis de Leone is certainly one of the marquee arms in this organization.
Speaker 3: Yeah, probably a guy that we skews just slightly lower on. And then I would say some others just because I just don't have a lot of confidence in the strike throwing ability. But it's gotten better overall through stretches and as your seasons progress. But it's just loud stuff from the left side. And I think that's the biggest thing is you're just not going to stuff like this from the left side very often. This is another fun TRIPLEA test. Hey, you got stuff commands a little bit of the frustration. It's just kind of I'm trying to find the best word for it. He doesn't really stride that far down the mound. It's this upright delivery that I think almost works in his favor because it looks like the balls coming from behind him. It's very upright, doesn't stride that far down the mound and stays close and then you just get this whip around of the arm where you're getting this fastball about ninety five miles per hour. But I just look at this, the feel for the entire arsenal and the fact that, like everything is, there's not much vertical separation. It's mostly horizontal. I think that short, whippy arm action with the ball the way he had the ball like can kind of help that. But he's a difficult arm for me to project up at the big league level. I think seeing him in triple A will help a ton, But I mean, we're seeing him running up to ninety seven. We're seeing i think, some really lively stuff and a slider that just can be disgusting, that just can overwhelm hitters, and a splitter that has come along. So he's got middle rotation stuff. I just at points I'm a little bit curious of like how consistent that can be. He also wields two different change ups. It's a really fascinating arm. But I think the challenge I have is there's not and this might work in his favor, and maybe I should consider this is that there's not a lot of guys that can compare him to and say, oh, this is a reference point of a guy that's done this successfully, and I think that might work in his favor. And the respect that you got the four seamer of the sinker, I'll mix in this this change up as well. That's kind of a copycat to the sinker that I think really helps. And then also a splitter and a slider, so it's a deep mix. He's going to need to execute better. But when you've got that much to work with from the left side, I think you can be a little bit more patient on a sixty percent strike rate. The challenge is does that strike rate drop below sixty in Triple A? And if it does, then he's going to maybe be there for a little bit. That's okay, though at twenty three years old, he won't turn twenty four until after you know, Triple A opening day in twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we'll see what comes of Luis da Leone, but another oriole prospect out a notable promotion here Vehiva Aloi Aloi was what I believe, the thirty first overall pick. Yeah, thirty first overall pick. Last year out of Arkansas. Alloi won the Golden Spikes.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, yes he did. And also one thing I missed on de Leon. He's riding up to Triple A on a heater twenty four and two thirds innings. He's allowed you two earned runs in that span twenty eight strikeouts, so I hope he can continue that momentum. But yeah, Aloi won the Golden Spikes, and yeah, that was a big part of the intrigue.
Speaker 2: Cool college trajectory started his college career at Sacramento State. He's from Hawaii, then obviously transferred to Arkansas for two years. At Arkansas, he was outstanding well of the Golden Spikes last year and this year his first full year of professional baseball, and in eighty four games with HIA Frederick, this guy hit an even three hundred, slugged over five hundred. It was an eight to seventy four ops. He's got fifteen homers. He's twelve for thirteen in the stolen based department. He punches out a bit, There's no doubt about that. But Aloi has been a constant shortstop with a little bit of third base time as well. And Alois seems like a really good pick at thirty one. And I remember last year, I mean, everybody and their brother was talking about the concerns about Vihiva Aloy and that's how the Golden Spike's Award winner drops to thirty first overall.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, And you know what's interesting is I had some of those concerns don't do to a degree with the whiff, But I think he's just shored up so many other aspects of his game that you can start to see the at least the fallback of like, Okay, you know you're concerned that Alloi may not hit enough, and that's valid. Seventy one percent contact, right, honestly, is better than I thought it would be this year. This is going to be the big test though, Right, you get up to double a as a college bat, does that contact rate slip to sixty five? Now you're up against it a little bit. He's striking out about twenty five and a half percent of the time, but one he's getting into the power pretty pretty comfortably two. He's defending well, you know, and I think some are a little bit more bullish on the glove, but I think he looks like he can. He's definitely gonna stick on the left side of the endfield. It's just is he a solid, solid shortstop or just a guy that can kind of just play average there. We'll see. But I think he's just proven that he's capable of giving you some value on the left side of the endfield, and I think it works. He's going to crush lefties and fill a roll that way. But I think what we're seeing from him this year is that like he's been able to produce against all pitch types. I think that's probably the most encouraging part is, you know, with some of the whiff concern with the way he sets up hands high, he's closed, it's a toe tap that sometimes he's just tardy sometimes and he cheats and he gets caught in between. To have a nine oh five ops against heaters and eight eighty two ops against breaking balls in a seven to seventy ops against you know, splits and changeups tells me he's kind of found a way to not kind of catch himself in between the contact rates are identical across the board seventy one, seventy one, seventy one. So I think this is a guy that's kind of learned how to compete against all pitch types. I think that really helps his case. It's stand out batspeed as well, and so I think there might be some adjustments still to be able to Like right now, I would just attack him hard inside and I think he's going to start to get more of that in double A. Just because of the way he set up where his hands are his swing, you could probably you know, tie him up a little bit. But the thing is is if you leave it over the heart like and he gets his hands extended like it's it's gone and it's to all fields. He inside outs a lot of homers. But I think that's the next thing for him is just being able to turn stuff around middle in pull them on the air a little bit more. But to have the success that Eloy has already had, given that he was a hit tool concerned guy, I think his encouraging and even if he struggles at double at the end of the year, I still think you look at twenty twenty six as a success and the big thing in twenty twenty seven, just being can he improve upon that with and double A. We'll see though, maybe he surprises us and kind of maintains the same with numbers.
Speaker 2: And tell you what, man, that clump of first round picks they had last year looks like it's paying off right now. Aloi has probably been better than many forecasted in the minor leagues. Ike Irish has been a heck of a lot better than many forecasted in the minor leagues. And then they used Bodine along with ten other pieces and a draft pick to go and get Shane Boss. So you have the trade asset that was available in Bodine, and Bodine's been amazing in the race system, So that could be in l in a certain sense there.
Speaker 3: But drafting W yeah, drafting W.
Speaker 2: But Eloie has been better than expected and Irish has certainly been better than expected.
Speaker 3: Irish has been awesome. Unfortunately it just went down with a meniscus. But to your point one thirty four WRC plus like stealing some bags sixteen homers. That was a big concern with Iris was like can he elevate the ball? This swing so flat and he's elevating more and it was a nice year for him and Hye. So you're gonna have a couple of your top guys from last year sept to start the year in double A. Irish would have been probably moving with ALOI two, which is unfortunate, but started the year in double and making their way coach to the big leagues for an Orioles team that I don't know what their direction is, but that helps no matter what.
Speaker 2: Dude, we know exactly what the Atlanta Braves direction is, and they've got a guy climbing the minor league ranks right now. In Tate the South the scene didn't realize his brother, what year older than him, ties in the Cup system as well. So Tate South A Scene here is getting the bump up to double A at nineteen years old. He doesn't turn twenty until after the minor league season ends this year, but in eighty nine games between Low and High A for the South A Scene this year, he's hitting two to eighty with a four to ten VP in an eight eighty ops. He's got twelve homers, he's got forty five stolen bases, he's walking a lot, and he just wrapped up a thirty eight game stint in high a rome where he hit two sixty with a three eighty OBP stole nine bags and it's an eight oh six ops.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's been awesome to watch the fact that's still nineteen years old and doing what he's doing. He's really advanced at the play at South the Scene and when he watched just what what he's able to do with his at bats. It's hard to it's hard to strike him out, and it's hard to I feel like, I know he's punching out twenty two percent of the time, but I just I don't really know what the exact game plan would be to get him, Like I think right now, it's just a matter of sometimes he gets he gets a little bit too deep in accounts because he's patient, and then you know, maybe hole swing and miss. But overall, like you're liable to give up an extra base hit with all pitch types against South the Scene, he's more so I think how I should have phrased it, But nine to twenty one ops against fastballs, eight against breaking wells, eight oh seven against splits and changeups, and again kind of mirrored contact right seventy five percent roughly across the way the swings that he's able to get off to where you see him turn around velocity to the pull side and hammer it. You see him drive the ball backside really well and have the success there. I think the big thing with him is probably not a shortstop, and that does hurt the value a little bit. Like I think he's probably going to end up at second base, and when that happens, you know, how much power is he going to hit for is probably important. But he has been really impactful in the base pats A plus runners forty five you know, bags on fifty five tries, and I think there's reason to believe that Satzee's going to be able to get into two more power as he develops, given that he's nineteen and he has this feel to elevate that's there. The evenings don't jump off the page, but the quality of contact floor is really high fifty percent hard hit rate. He just finds the barrel consistently jagsabastie of ninety miles per hour, So it's hard to craft a game plan. I've seen some people talk about like high fastballs as a way to get him, but I've also seen him turn around high fastballs pretty well. I mean he doesn't chase above the top and if you tug it down, it's also going to be hammered, So hanging breaking balls are gone. He doesn't chase them as well. So he does a really good job of shrinking the zone and dominating within it and having success against all pitch types. Think the airpole side will be an area to just get a little bit more consistent with. But South a scene. I think there's a reason why the Braves are moving fast with this kid. It was thirty eight games in high A and you know, I think what we're already seeing him get up to double Hartman isn't even getting that kind of treatment, and I think it says something about what they feel about the hitting ability of South the scene.
Speaker 2: Hey, you know what, sometimes it's Mateios, sometimes it's Jim Jarvis, sometimes it's toss on Kim. Maybe they do the vond grisome thing with South the scene and he's just up for the home stretch.
Speaker 3: You never know what this team did.
Speaker 2: I mean, they have tried to piecemeal short stuff together and I don't think they want Nick Allen back. But Nick Allen could be kind of welcomed in terms of just stability for them at the moment. All right, A couple more that we got to go over here. Next one a double A call up is Marco Dingis in the Milwaukee Brewers organization. Dingis was awesome in High A, gotten up to Biloxi over the course of the weekend. Dingis was one for nine in his first weekend a double a baseball butt hit two seventy with a three to ninety OBP. It was an eight sixty OPS with the Wisconsin timber Rattlers at the High A level hit eleven homers, drove in forty one and sixty one ball games here. Dingis was already good in High A last year for fifty one games, so now we're talking about an one hundred and twelve games sample in High AH had an eight to fifty OPS with twenty one jacks and fewer than one hundred punch outs. So impressive stuff from Marco Dingis. And he joins a loaded, loaded, loaded Biloxi Shucker lineup.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and it just gets even more loaded. It's a shame that I think he just he's dealing with an injury again. I think I'm gonna guess it's arm related because he's hitting obviously, but he's just thaching a ton and it's something that plagued him last year. He was off to a great start defensively this year, and I think that's a big thing with Dingers that you want to see develop, is like, if this guy can be even close to an average catcher with the tools that he has, like this could be a really fun player. He has huge offensive upside and you've thrown out thirty percent of base dealers through his first six to sixteen starts a catcher this year, and then we've just seen him dhing pretty much since then, which I'd assume is something related to the arm. But he's been getting his ab still and has been very productive. And I think this is still one of the more underrated guys in a system that it's like very easy to get under. It become underrated in because there's eight thousand guys like Blake Burke is Homer ten times in the last like two weeks, it feels like, and no one cares because he's like an after thoughts somehow in that lineup. Dings it's another guy with some of the best batspeed in the Brewers organization. There's with and that's for sure, and I think that's where the width becomes more palatable if he's a catcher versus like a first basement DH, so it's really important for him developed there, but he hammers secondaries. What's fascinating is the bat speed is so good, yet fastballs have been a little bit of the of the challenge versus the slug he's had against breaking ball. So to me, a guy that's probably a little bit in between us. He's playing with different things mechanically, and he's a guy that definitely likes to tinker. But Tims is just one of those players that I look at and I say he could he could be that guy that just explodes you know, this year, next year or whatever, and people are like, where did he come from? But it's always been there. I don't think anybody in the Brewers Worg would be surprised. But the biggest thing for me is I just I wish we could see you know him catch. But at the end of the day, twenty two years old, consistently been solid at the lower levels. Now gets a good challenge in double A.
Speaker 2: Yep, no doubt about that, all right. A couple of low A call ups so guys that are coming off the complex. We're going to clump a couple of San Francisco Giants here together. Jessuar Gonzalez is a top one hundred prospect in Major League Baseball. Luis Hernandez also is getting the bump up to Lowe. I believe the San Jose Giants there, but jos War Gonzalez obviously the big ticket guy that is making the move to Loway in the Giant organization. He's eighteen years old and in thirty games of the complex he had a nine to seventy ops. He walked twenty times in thirty games, drove in twenty four and hit three forty three.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean, when you look at what Josh Wark can possibly be here in terms of the skill set, the defensive ability, the power upside is the fun part too, because he didn't really get into that in the complex. Was thirty one games at the end of the day, but you know, only two homers there. But I just wonder how much he was really challenged, Like he was patient. He didn't see a ton of strikes and when he did he found his hits. He walked a lot, and it's really hard to assess players at the complex. That's one where you just got to like go and see them. The old eye test is probably going to help you a little bit more in the complex league extend and you know, anything you're going to get from a data perspective, But just seeing this kid defend and seeing what he could possibly be in that regard to is really fun and just was consistent pretty much all thirty plus of the games. It felt like he's at least getting on base one to two times, usually two to three and a lot of times for a game there. So seeing some more pitches in the zone being challenged a little bit more is going to be a fun challenge for Gonzales, and I think if he responds well to low A, you're going to see this guy skyrocket across He's already ranked really highly, but skyrocket across the industry. And remember it's dealt with a little bit of a hamstring thing at the start of the year, so you know, maybe that hampered him a little bit in terms of getting the most out of all of his tools. Again, this is a guy that has one of the top shortstop prospect in baseball, upside as a switch hitter with the defense, with the speed with the power potential. If it all comes together and I think starting to show it at low A, we'll probably start to I think kick the hype machine into overdrive a little here. But one other note with him, like average exavositi eighty nine point five miles per hour fre Gonzalz, like so that the raws in there, it's just a matter of, you know, just elevating more consistently, because he can get a little bit slacky with the swing and a lot ends up kind of getting hit into the ground. Louis Hernandez is a child essentially, he's seventeen years old. They've pushed him super aggressively after signing him for five million dollars. Remember he was playing like professional ball in Venezuela. I'm like, he's one of the most experienced. He was one of the most experienced sixteen year old's entering pro Bawl kind of rivaling like the Solad type of experience where it's just he's so ahead of his years. But at the same time, there was some a little bit more turbulence with Hernandez, but he finished the season really strong at the Complex and I think final twenty games one twenty three WRC plus nine oh four ohps walked more than he struck out, And I think sending that momentum for Hernandez into Low A is going to be really exciting because it's a compact guy, you know, but he's able to have that kind of outslug, the frame type of bat speed, and he just has this natural field to elevate the baseball and backspin into all fields. The question is going to be defensively, he doesn't provide nearly the value. I think he ultimately ends up at second base, but you have an offensive driven second baseman who can hit for average and slug. Potentially, I think you could have a really fun type of player here that could be like, you know, a little like Assie Albi's ish if it asks, if it all comes together, and I don't even want to give a comp on a seventeen year old. He's literally a kid, So I'm just going.
Speaker 2: To he's a fun one, a fun one.
Speaker 3: If he's seventeen years old at low A, he's got all the time in the world just to kind of figure things out, but also push that ceiling higher.
Speaker 2: No doubt about that. Lastcot. We got to talk about another Brewer prospect. Braylan and Tunaz is up off the complex. He gets to low A here and Tuna is still eighteen years old. He doesn't turn nineteen until the end of November. This year Braylan on Tuna is fifty eight games with the Brewers the Complex, nine homers, thirteen bag hit two eighty two with an eight ninety ohps. The other thing that jumps out he caid eighty one times in fifty eight games at the complex. But excited to see what this looks like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, the fun thing with him is that the power is immense for an eighteen year old there, and we saw it ten homers in fifty nine games or fIF nine homers in fifty eight games excuse me at the complex and then he's already homered at Lowa here. We've seen this dude scorch baseballs, like absolutely scorch baseballs, I think at the Complex this year a couple north of one thirteen, one to twelve. So when you're getting that out of a eighteen year old, the power potential is is just so so exciting. But yeah, I mean, he's also swinging missing a ton, so it's gonna be an interesting challenge for intunies to prove that, hey, I struck out thirty one percent of the time of the Complex I'm going to somehow not do that at LOWA. But I think some of the hope there with the Brewers is that honing in on the approach not having it's still going to be effective wildness at Loway, but maybe not to the same degree I think the Complex League. I'm scared for my life LOWA. I just don't really know where this guy's going to go with it if I were a hitter. But we'll see. I think that'll be a fun wrinkle. But the fact that a guy that was legitimately putrid in the DSL last year one home run in fifty five games, hit two fifteen in the DSL last year, has followed that up with nine homers in a one to twelve WRC plus at the Complex League this year.
Speaker 2: One.
Speaker 3: The fact that we've talked about this when we picked him as a breakout guy. The fact that the Brewers didn't have him repeat the DSL says that they saw something in him. The fact that he did what he did now in the DSL power wise or excuse me, in the Complex League power wise validates what they saw on him, and now I think the low A test is going to be. This is where it's Brewers player development. Man, Like, if this guy somehow gets better at LOWA to finish the year, I at tip the cap, but I think it's already a w season for him given what he did at the Complex League after legitimately being DSL repeat candidate one oh one and them not doing it got you.
Speaker 2: All right, that's what we got, man, those are all of our promotions.
Speaker 3: That's all we got. We're gonna have some big league call up soon, so excited to talk to you all about that as well. Reminder check us out on whatnot we are breaking every single day, every single weekday link is in the episode description tops Chrome has been a lot of fun there day. I got to pull some Miserowski cards. Every time I watch this guy, I'm like, I can't buy I'm too expensive. I got to help that pull something. So the Brewer spots are everything. But we're doing you know, single box break, smaller breaks, cheap stuff to get in and if you haven't never been and whatnot before The link in the episode description gets you twenty five dollars UH to go towards the store. As always, thank you for listening. I'll be at the National this week speaking of cards, so this might be the last episode of the week. We'll see if we get another one out there. Reminder, check out our episode with Max Kark from yesterday if you missed that, But we look forward to talking prospects with you, if not one more time this week next week and there'll be a lot of hopefully trades to talk about. Gets closer and breaking down all the prospect returns but for all the speculation, check us out on the Just Baseball Show. Talk to you soon.