Speaker 1: On today's episode The Command Center Podcast, we talked the unofficial depth chart, which doesn't matter. Tannel doesn't matter, It doesn't matter. We're talking about practice. Joe Gibbs and Darryl Green are out there. That's always a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Know what to call them? Yeah, Joseph, dud Joseph.
Speaker 1: And it's game time. We're coming up right around the corner.
Speaker 2: We got joint practice. It all starts right out.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Command Center Podcast. I'm Logan Pulsing here with Fred Smooth and Santana Moss. Guys. Great to see it and Fred, Yeah, I love the shirt, by the way.
Speaker 3: Most definitely. I love walking around with my capadres on my chest.
Speaker 1: I thought you liked having yourself on your chair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Would you get that tattooed on your body?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna get you. I'm gonna get your face tattooed right here, my mom?
Speaker 1: I mean, is that, man, that's what people doing.
Speaker 3: Drake got Michael Jackson and Prince and all kind of people tattooed on.
Speaker 4: It could to be compared to those guys back last getting that.
Speaker 1: I can always count on Tanna to just keep.
Speaker 3: It always, Like when we like this, He's just gonna bust it. But also you set.
Speaker 1: Us a video of your kids and Jane Daniels doing a dance. Yes, they were they need a TikTok, so let me just set let me just set the stage here. So, yes, sir, we got a group text obviously because we talk outside of the show, and Fred sends a video of two random kids because I've never met his kids and Jade and Daniels doing a TikTok dance. So at first I was like, what is like, what am I watching?
Speaker 2: You did say that.
Speaker 1: I was like, what am I watch that?
Speaker 5: Like Logan and Jason, like what the hell is going on? And I'm sitting there like those are free of smook kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how they looked the sun looked like you know, his first sea looks like you, but his body is like almost definitely.
Speaker 4: So I never saw his daughter before.
Speaker 5: I never saw his son, but I can tell immediately that little that little boy looked like a young smooth that I met in college.
Speaker 4: And then I looked to.
Speaker 5: The to the side of him, I'm like, that's a smooth because her wingspan, I said, she gotta be another smooth.
Speaker 2: So my child mother does Jade and hair and the rest of the team here.
Speaker 3: And of course my son is a big Jaye Daniels fan, and anytime Jayde come get his hair down, he'll do a TikTok with like yeah cool. Yeah, that just shows you how down eve that Jade is.
Speaker 1: I mean, like that's really cool.
Speaker 5: That's really something too man like when we take it for granted, because we probably different guys, but to the caliber player that Jayden is is probably going to be looked at, Yes, we had guys in those shoes that probably would never never do that. I never do that, the smallest thing. My son will never.
Speaker 1: Forget that, And so let me just finish the story. So then I texted, I said, you know, how did you how did you get that worked out? You know how I acquired this video? This video? And then he just didn't respond to And then he responded to Fletch multiple times. I said, he smooth, like how did you get this happen? And then he didn't respond to So I was just like, what the heck is going on?
Speaker 2: So way and to the end, you was like I still don't know what's going on. I'm sitting there waiting to knee eager to act like.
Speaker 3: That was and if it was in tiktokentiality and being like when he's in TikTok form.
Speaker 2: It had liked stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know this stuff they had, they you know, they sure it looked good.
Speaker 2: It looked good.
Speaker 1: They use the name, and the dance looked good as far.
Speaker 2: I don't know, it was terrible.
Speaker 4: Kids has got that many more followers on.
Speaker 2: They probably did op it one TikTok that's cool.
Speaker 1: That's really nice to do does that and it's a very down earth guy and awesome and now I know the whole story. Now you know the whole story. Yeah, right, So we got some administrative stuff we got to take care of. We got our historical podcast promo, Hail's Tales right are still calling at that and it is the replacements from nineteen eighty seven. And it was really funny because like, obviously we talked about it and get ready for the show, but I did I did a research for one of the quarterback or one of the Super Bowl thing we're doing for a show, and I was like, man, there's only nine games in the season in nineteen eighty seven. I had no idea until I read about it. Until we talked about it that they were all replacements.
Speaker 3: They were the strike year, so they called it. Imagine if we did it today. Imagine if the players say, you know what, we ain't playing in everybody like we got to try it for Washington. Do you know how many people show up and try to make this team? Like, come on, man, you're talking about every fans dream.
Speaker 1: They have local tryouts. Now they have like a thousand people coming.
Speaker 3: But what if it's a trial where it's a guarantee that fifty y'all gonna make this team? That's different, man, Like imagine you sitting at home being a darn Green fan and Darrel is like, nah, we ain't playing, and then they say, do you want to take Daryl's place? Like imagine I'm like, yeah, I do want to take his place, And I'm gonna go out there and try.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be a bunch of dudes that just came out to the bar, just like the movie Shall a.
Speaker 2: Lot of Gold Sham from the Bar.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I had all these dreams about what they used to do or what they did today.
Speaker 2: High school coach didn't like them.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, like now it'd be I think you'd get like a pretty good roster because there's like the USFL. I feel like you get some guys that are still training. I wonder back then if guys like train like that.
Speaker 5: We the USFL around back then, are USFL was around, But I don't think it was created in eighty seven.
Speaker 4: It wasn't joint. So no different that.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, think hershel Walker.
Speaker 5: You couldn't get those guys from that league, you know it d was in the company.
Speaker 3: They already signed. You're talking about Jim Kelly. Appreciate you. These guys have already signed up there. But when I think Jim Kelly, Hersha Walker, I'm thinking nineties.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But what I was asking though as well, we're talking about like nowadays you have UFL. Yeahfl USFL, that league is joint with the NFL, So something like that happened. We can pull those guys. Yeah, back then you couldn't pull from that other league. Motorcycle Gang and the dudes at the gym.
Speaker 6: USFL closed in eighty six.
Speaker 1: Uh so there were a lot of guys.
Speaker 6: Williams came over from that, all right. Yeah, so we got the after USFL.
Speaker 2: And the bals got Jim Kelly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So then it was the next season, So no, there was no USFL.
Speaker 1: This, Yeah, but there would have been, guys, guy, Yeah, yeah, okay, yeah, but I think that's I always found that it's like this kind of like fun NFL anomaly, you know what I mean, they just existed. And then for the Washington the watching molding the Redskins at the time to kind of handle that so well. And Jason, our guy who is the producer on that show, was telling us that they beat the Dallas Cowboys to make the playoffs with with scabs right or we know, we know, replacement players and then they got in there, yeah, which is crazy.
Speaker 6: Yeah that that game didn't determine if they made the playoffs, but them going three and oh, the replacements going three and oh helped the team make sure that they got there to the playoffs.
Speaker 2: You know what, super and you said Dallas.
Speaker 3: It just makes me think the team, I mean, the fan base has watched us go better Dallas here and at home so many times.
Speaker 2: That'll be the one hand that we get to go see them go better Dallas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like, y'all go represent the area. We've been ripping it for so long. You suit up and you run in to refrigerator period, over and over again.
Speaker 2: Well I see here and watching drink beer. I yes, I would love just one Sunday, like one. All those guys they seen you in the grocery store and wagments look at you.
Speaker 3: Like this is the word thing. I hate when people like they see you. They would scan you up and down trying to see if they could have played.
Speaker 5: No, you could not now, but you know a lot of people give you, give you a little props on just man, I didn't know you were that small.
Speaker 4: You know, I get that all the time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a guy, they I'm pretty sure they sized me up because they say that, and I'm like, damn, how big you thought I would? Yeah, And but just to hear that let me know, like, yeah, so all that stuff you had in the back of your head about you being out there, yeah I want it doesn't make you feel like, well I could do it or hass off to that dude.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think I told you the story before. Like I went my roommate my rookie year, was in a flag football team and they were missing a couple of guys and they're like, hey, do you want to come out? He was not a player. I was like, okay, y'all come out, and I'm like the blocking tight end.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Everyone talks about how slow I am, how trash I am, and I remember got out there and like no one could cover me. I was like one handed catches and they left the game and everyone's like, man, you're so fast, you're saying. I'm like, man, you have.
Speaker 2: No no idea. You have no idea building me up? Do you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: It's like when people go like pros versus Joe's and they're playing those old joes back the day. It's like the caliber of athletes and physicality in the NFL is insane. So when people come up to, oh, you got a couple more places in you, I'm like, no, absolutely not, No, I don't because to be that guy for that long gotta be really locked in down then. But anyway, so that's our Stole podcast, and that's the Hails Tails. Really looking forward to that. Handed does a great job with that, Jason, you do a great job with that as well. And now the second big item on my list is the People's Choice Podcast Awards, and I don't have an update, but Jason said he's got an update.
Speaker 6: I got some news where you get, okay, what we got. Our fans are awesome. We made the cut. Did we make the yea, we made the cut. We are in the finalist for Best Sports Podcasts.
Speaker 2: How many comes?
Speaker 1: How many podcasts?
Speaker 6: There are ten so narrow it down from like twenty something to ten. So made thet Yeah. But if you want to hear kind of like how our fans showed out for us, we didn't just make that. We also made best overall podcasts. Really every podcast ever. Oh okay, here like any category anything. We are in the top ten voted podcast There are only two sports podcasts that made that. It was US and Fantasy Focus Today ESPN's Fantasy Football with Field Yates.
Speaker 2: Wow, so we're coming for you Field. You heard him Yates right?
Speaker 6: So yeah, So I assume that that means we were at least number two in voting for sports, that we made our way in there.
Speaker 2: So how about that great job. We'll talk about great jobs.
Speaker 6: So here's what happens next, because this is the people's choice. When you went to vote, you had all those emails right now, what they do is they sounds convoluted. I'll do my best to explain it. They're going to send out another email to at least one fourth of people that voted. So they're going to get one fourth of people that voted, and then the rest of the votes will all be from experts, former podcasts all right, So it will be a combination of people's choice and like people that know what they're I don't want to say, know what they're talking about, but are like, oh, this audio sounds great, know that right, you know what I mean. So we'll have that.
Speaker 2: Fel accomplished.
Speaker 1: So if you voted, keep an eye out.
Speaker 6: We want you to get back in there.
Speaker 1: If you're one of those one fourth people that get selected and you vote, like, that's going to help us out right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, absolutely, So just check your emails, make sure that someone if they send an email out to you, get back in there and vote for us in the sports category and the overall category.
Speaker 2: That is.
Speaker 5: I asked that question last time we was on like just being like, you know how it's no moral victories, but that's why I asked that question. And like Savors we make the cut. Is that a big real you know in itself?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's a big deal.
Speaker 6: I mean we beat healthy other thirty for thirties.
Speaker 2: I've been saying this this wild right.
Speaker 1: So what's very humbling. Thank you guys so much. Please continue to support us, Thanks again, and we'll continue to try and make a great show for you.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's a that's a very very pleasant surprise. Thanks. Yeah. Yeah, all right, so now we got to talk about football. Enough about us, let's talk about football. Owhen Wilson's older, uglier brother. Anyway, So unofficial depth chart came out on Tuesday, and everybody was freaking out about it, and so I think we could just talk about it. It's probably been talked to death, but I just got to say a couple of things about this. Okay, So their league mandated to put out a depth chart. Okay, they have to This is not who is going to make the team. It's not who is it going to make the team. And I have to just say this because it drives me nuts. They still have a joint practice, a preseason game, another joint practice, and another preseason game and then guess what one more preseason.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, in terms of evaluation points, like I'm sure Tanna and Fred you can speak to this. I've been on teams where I thought this dude is a lock. They biffed a practice. If they messed it up real bad and they got cut, you never see he again a joint practice or precing game, Like how many times you seen that appen all the time. And so the fact that this is an unofficial it's unofficial.
Speaker 2: That's what's saying on the top of it. It's it's unofficial.
Speaker 1: Is I just think it's just important to remember because I heard people on the radio talking about it, like, Oh, this guy's gonna get cut.
Speaker 2: No he's not, don't do that.
Speaker 3: Like listen, what you're seeing right now is because I am as a business, I have to push this out Like I didn't volunteer this.
Speaker 2: I didn't tell you this was what it was.
Speaker 5: I gave you a first copy of my roof dre Up, but I haven't gave you my final edition of my book.
Speaker 2: Just what it is. I love that. I love that description.
Speaker 1: I do think you can draw some stuff from it, like obviously like Brandon Coleman start left tackle. I think that shows that they like what he's done. He's been practicing. Well, yeah, yeah, the athlete we've been talking about is there. Does that mean he's going to start week one. We don't know, doesn't mean that, but it shows that they like him. I think another one is, uh, Jaden Daniels, Right, he's been practicing well, but let's say he goes out and struggles. I don't think he'll do this. Let's say hypothetically he goes out and struggles ten, is he going to.
Speaker 4: Start week one? Yeah?
Speaker 5: No, he struggling in pre season game. So you got it two more. But you look at it like this, man like, look at this.
Speaker 2: I did not say what you're thought. Such a good No, it was such a good though, because it's true.
Speaker 1: Though he's probably.
Speaker 4: If he struggled, then he's going to struggle, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: That's how I look at it. But I look at it like this. Some of these guys that it's the obvious, you know what I mean? They staying obvious about some of these guys. And then it's just another group of guys where you got to think this team is kind of like I know, coach didn want to say rebuilt, but we basically rebuild. So you have a lot of guys that I just want to see how they fit in this position right now?
Speaker 2: Can they can?
Speaker 5: They can they slide out of this spot. I'll put you here because I think you deserve to be here. And by the time we get to day one, you know, or final cut, did you hold this spot up enough for us to say we're gonna keep you there?
Speaker 2: Yes, I look at it.
Speaker 1: Just another couple of surprising names. Jean Baptiste the defensive end. You know, he's hurt for the being a training camp and now all of a sudden he's working with the twos. And in terms of this depth chart, like it's I think it's good. I think it's. Also something that Dan said in this pressure, which I think is really interesting, is that basically, like they want to see this is for the preseason game, so they're gonna bump and elevate certain young guys because they want them to play.
Speaker 3: Yes, which is smart, and they're smart like because I'm gonna get more work with my veterans at these practice, these private practice. But when when we on camera in the preseason game, I'm giving guys that might not even make this team a chance to say to himself so they can get hired by another team.
Speaker 5: That's guys playing the light, you know, I mean practice, we all can go out here in practice, you know, amongst each other. Especially even when those joint practices, some of those guys come out the shell and say, Okay, you know it's time to do.
Speaker 4: It because it's live. But the real lights and the real buddhis.
Speaker 5: Fly around when when you're on live and you you're on TV and it's time to go out there and show up and make that first down on thirty one thirty short something like that. So you know, I just I feel like when you see this. As a player, we never heard about this type of stuff. We were so locked in we didn't care, you know, And like I shared with you guys my last year here, I didn't know I was on a bubble. Media outlet came to me and said, so, how does it feel to be on the bubble? Like dudes flash a fax bubble. So it was just one of those things. Man, as a player, you're locked in. I'm not concerned about what you guys see outside of what I'm seeing. Yeah, I just know every opportunity is one of those chings for me to go out.
Speaker 4: There and make stinkment.
Speaker 3: And every time they see somebody on the second team of the thirteen.
Speaker 5: The first thing that comes to mind is the yeah, like some of these guys are not on the bottle. They got true rotational player.
Speaker 1: I think that's the other thing that's interesting too, is like because of how they run their defense and because of how much depth they have at certain spots, like you're gonna see guys that are like down the depth chart like supposedly play more as like you're like you could be the third safety, but you're the first dime linebacker, thank you, or the you know you're the you're the backup whatever it is, right, So you're going to see a lot of that kind of stuff going on. So again it's it's a good kind of data point. But again this is gonna, I think change quite a bit as we go on. But you know, today we got practice going on in addition to this coming out. This is Tuesday, and you know Joe Gibbs and Daryl Green, right, a practice day.
Speaker 2: Then let me tell you how to put nasty. The Joseph, the Joseph, Joseph Joseph.
Speaker 3: All right, the Joseph was here today, Derek Green was here today. This nostalgia, this winners, this they were reminded fan base, we was great at one time.
Speaker 2: This is where we're trying to get back to.
Speaker 5: It's great just to even hear that Darren Green is around again. Yeah, we know how to relationship the hiatus men and say y'all want to holler y'all?
Speaker 3: Yeah, most definitely so good to see them back, especially on the same field.
Speaker 2: I'm sure the fans got really enjoyed that.
Speaker 3: We enjoyed seeing now about Coach talked to little trash to him like I always do.
Speaker 2: So I enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: Man, what does he do when you talk? Trust?
Speaker 2: He laughs?
Speaker 4: You know what?
Speaker 5: I asked this question to myself because I just had to answer it myself because I knew what the answer was. And the question was do Fred talk like this to everybody? And it's yes, it's not a person that he don't go to and talk crap. And I'm like, bro, how do you not like kind of divideed? Say what these guys are my elders. Let me know, Mike Malip a little bit for how I speak or greet these guys.
Speaker 3: Like coach coach Coach Gil got a serious funny ball and don't know, most people don't know what because they don't talk to him like that. I remember because you know one thing about Coach Gil, he gonna work you.
Speaker 2: He's gonna work you like he.
Speaker 3: Don't care about that storm in one day, I say, before we go out to practice, Coach the fellas think, you know it gonna rain, we probably should go out there and press. I'm the guy he's sending it to Joseph. He's like, Nah, this Washington weather, all right, we're gonna play in it this weekend. We're gonna practice in it today. So we go out and practice, start raining. But you know one thing that will stop practicing is that light Like I write that lightning hit. I looked at Coach, he looked at me. I said, it took Jesus, took Jesus to sit.
Speaker 2: And lightning for to get us out.
Speaker 3: You should be ashamed of your telf. He just laugh about it all the time. He talked about all that he has a true funny bones.
Speaker 1: So he doesn't get annoyed though.
Speaker 5: He's like, you know one of the things about him, man, and he told us a cool story about uh that Fred was back by this time.
Speaker 4: He said he had to separate.
Speaker 5: There's gonna be guys that do things differently from the other guys.
Speaker 4: You know, I mean, I can't.
Speaker 5: Pigeonhold everybody, make all us the side, can't make all us Saints. And I can't say I need.
Speaker 4: You to do what Randell is doing. I need you to do what this guy's doing.
Speaker 5: You know you're gonna do what you do as long as we on the same page between the white lines.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm cool. I don't know.
Speaker 4: He's one of those guys.
Speaker 5: He's one of those guys he allowed to Hey, man, that's fredsm He gonna get letter who he is and once he got out of line, now he gonna get on you.
Speaker 2: Get off.
Speaker 4: He's gonna get on you to take some mature coach.
Speaker 1: I think he'll do that, and I think it's why one of the reasons they're socialcess.
Speaker 5: Why he won the championship, championship coach know how to be. He was a He's a people person. You know how to man. He's one of those guys that he reads guys differently than I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: From his coach.
Speaker 4: He know how to read you, bro.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, And that's why he so successful in Nascary. He had to take those same people skills. And I was talking to him, he was like, man, I trained my pit guy, just like just like football, he said, most of the pit guy that work in the pit ex football players.
Speaker 1: There was a guy here at practice the other day kind of to come to talk to the team about, you know, like the details, and he was a pit guy. He was like the director of the pit crew for a NASCAR and he was saying, like, you know, detailed, detailed detail. But one of the things I thought was really interesting was just like the crossover with football. Yes, the lot of football players he.
Speaker 3: Said, most of his coach heill say, all of my pick guys, I mean pisching out guys played college football.
Speaker 1: They said that he said, ninety do it.
Speaker 3: So maybe he picking up them gas, But that was that's new. But also we used to working together. The one thing you could put us in is a room and hey, y'all figure it out.
Speaker 2: And we'll do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that was that's super interesting. And also like it's just great to have them back around. You know, I kind of wonder, you know, as a player, like some of these guys are so young. They they know who Joe Gibbs is, they know who deug Green is.
Speaker 2: But they parents nostalgia.
Speaker 1: But but I was gonna say it's good for the fan base to see him out there. It's good for the organization that they're back around, Like you were saying, like some of those guys been gone from.
Speaker 5: It, and you don't know because I know a lot of those guys didn't know who we were. Like, I mean, I walk across here a couple of times I'm saying, hey, everybody, you know being a guy who I am, and they like, you know, I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, who is that? Most okay?
Speaker 5: And then you see that get a little bigger like with that, and then it's crazy because Mike Sanna is still He started following me like the next day and I'm like, he just found out who and he sent me a littlens. I'm like, see that's dope because he's always also an ex receiver. So it's it's crazy that these people really don't These kids don't.
Speaker 3: Know it because we time stamped. We time stamped and and that's what it is. But guess what keeping him the youth knowing who we are podcast like this social media because now they get to see us in a different light, but they still know who we are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. So I thought that was kind of cool. And again this is the lot. Tuesday was the last practice leading into the joint practice, so that Wednesday off, I think it's a travel day they're going to Thursday, I got practice against the Jets. I know, like Fletch was talking about how much she hated joint practice.
Speaker 5: You know with that, Yeah, TA hate some why so you know, I'm very routeam and I feel the joint practice is almost a game kind of kind of you gotta have a game mentality, and it's hard to get in that game mentality as I'm practicing, because I'm coming on and off in the game. It's one it's one of here we locked in in those joint practices. You got to know when I got to turn this thing up and when I got to chill out. And it's hard to do that with me. Once I'm up, I'm up, I gotta keep going. I can't say, Okay, this drill here is gonna be a little lighter.
Speaker 4: No, I'm in game, hod, right.
Speaker 5: You know, I hate it because I think it was one of those situations where when I'm in my game, Hod, anything's open. Everything is open. Like if you want to fight, that's fight. You want to do this, let's do that, you know what I mean. But practicing, trying to get a good rep, trying to show these guys a good look, and knowing that they want to win and I want to win.
Speaker 4: It's almost set me up, you know, I mean for failure.
Speaker 5: So I hated it because I just felt like it was it was one of those situations where you're gonna.
Speaker 4: Put us out there. Everybody has egos, You have all these outfas.
Speaker 5: Somebody gonna bring out into a fight, and you just to you know, have control what you call a control chaos single and it's it's impossible. So when I'm watching these other guys, these other teams having these joint practices and I'm seeing the fights, I'm just shaking my head because I'm like, when is this going to stop? I mean, I understand it. It's good, it's good football. It's good for the offseason, it's good for the preseason. But to me, I feel like it's just one of those things. Man, just let us play in the preseason and keep it moving.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think a couple of things. I agree one hundred percent with what you're saying. I remember the first time we had a joint practice against Houston, and we were doing like kickoff coverage. How yeah that was like that was like the third day. Yeah, so we were having practice. We were doing kickoff coverage and I remember being out there and our special teams coach had told us the tempo was like seventy percent or we're not going to contact, and so you start running down there, and all of a sudden, they start running down there, and You're like, is this dude about to hit me right now? Because he told us one thing? But what do they know? Yeah, yeah, it was dayto and then all of a sudden, to my left, some dude just gets smoked. I didn't get hit because the other guy let up, but like this dude got knocked out, almost knocked out, and I was like, what are we doing? You know what I'm saying? So it just and then so another funny story, we went we had one with New England, right, and so we have seven.
Speaker 4: On the seven, that one, you remember that one.
Speaker 1: We had seven on seven and get this, and so they bring over their two outside linebackers who basically played like d n So it's nine on seven. Yeah, and if you were attached to the formations like a tight end, they would basically take jam you two the middle linebacker who would hit you as hard as they could. It was basically getting double vised, and so we couldn't run any of our concepts because the guys inside couldn't get off. And I remember like the referee would throw a flag, you know, like past interference, and Belichick like pick it up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we played football.
Speaker 1: And so it's it is a little bit of a tempo thing. So as a player, yeah, it's tough, tough setting because you're you're gauging temple.
Speaker 2: I know you like it.
Speaker 1: But as an evaluator, I was gonna say I love joint practice.
Speaker 3: I can say at the end of the day we talked about the organized chaos. This protons new truns. They are organized chaos.
Speaker 1: What are we talking?
Speaker 3: I enjoyed it because I got tired of running behind Tanna and.
Speaker 2: Running behind somebody else. That's what I want some friss facing.
Speaker 1: Did you get joint practice? Like when you were talking all this noise.
Speaker 4: To people, what I gotta think about it? Smooth one of those guys, even when he's talking to Smack.
Speaker 1: You're funny.
Speaker 2: It's like, I'm not the meaning, I'm not the meaning.
Speaker 1: Topic mean it's not like I'm trying.
Speaker 2: To get they focus on me.
Speaker 3: However, I can get your focus on me if it's a conversation.
Speaker 2: Why Like I had to receive what timy this?
Speaker 3: He was like, dude, I have never been jammed by somebody. And they had a conversation fifteen year olds down, like, because I can talk and run. Most people can't talk and run. Because all started with like you jam somebody like, oh, yeah, what're you going? I'm right here on you what you're gonna do? So then I was like, I can just do this and talk regular. How about I just yeah, man, did you see Martin now today?
Speaker 5: I tell you one thing about those joint practice though, especially what we're probably gonna expect to see from ours, you know, be in the seat that we're in now. I remember Belichick speaking highly of Kirk Cousin. You know what I mean, Oh that joint practice. You know he got He said some things about Kirk, and I was saying everybody was like, well, we see.
Speaker 4: It, you know what I mean? But it was just obvious that Kirk.
Speaker 2: You could see it.
Speaker 5: Kirk went out there and executed fine and you know a lot of times when he was out there. You know, they was bringing those look at Robin and to take off.
Speaker 2: And run and it was.
Speaker 5: It was great for the fans, but you know, as a you know, being a receiver of he like, you know, I just ran this route for nothing, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I remember being there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was doing the reporting and I see it. I'm like, I have never seen a quarterback running Salmon self, but he was running.
Speaker 2: But it was to this this roar of the fan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he put on the show.
Speaker 3: Oh listen it was And I was just I was like, look at that Bobby three sticks, like you know, because the emotion was there, the drummer was there, and like.
Speaker 2: You know, because he was posted in this he go your.
Speaker 6: Save you.
Speaker 2: Everything that he just out there and he pumping them up. And I'm like, I don't know how good this is.
Speaker 3: Because this is Salmon Selm. You should be throwing the ball, young.
Speaker 1: Man, trying to throw the ball.
Speaker 5: Yes, we went out there and took it to him though, too, because we took that into the preseason game and we really we really showed up the preseason game against.
Speaker 1: I feel like those guys were so tired because they had the reputation at the time of just having a murderous training camp. Yeah, so for them it was like kind of like being on vacation and when they got to the preseason game, like they were, so they had a practice like the day before, like the morning of the game. So guys are out there dying.
Speaker 2: I remember.
Speaker 1: I remember one year we had a we had a pricing game against Tampa Bay. Who was that college coach that was down there who was from Rutgers, remember him. He was like, oh, yeah, you know what I'm.
Speaker 2: Talking about, Marianni.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Sirianni. So it's the fourth preseason game. I'm your boys out there because I don't miss aport. I'm in there. I'm in there getting work. And so thank god, our coach, I think was Mike at the time, was like, hey, you guys gonna play take care of you don't have to do the practice the day before. I was like great. So I was out there talking with my buddies. He's like, oh, we had a full speed tackle to the ground practice at twelve o'clock today. Mind you, this is the day of the game. So those boys are coming out there on some double day stuff. And I'm telling you I was. I was on a dry block on some guy and this dude could not catch his breath. Like he just was like like like take me away cams and just throw them on the ground. Your shre this like it's just like this, like this, his soul left his body because they can do you can they can do you wrong.
Speaker 2: Man. I felt like that my rookie year with Martin Scheinheimer. I remember coming.
Speaker 3: Into that first preseason game. I was like, I know, my left leg has to be three inches time because.
Speaker 2: He didn't ran them into the ground like I listen.
Speaker 3: I was that's what two days with two of days too, and it was just it was physical to a.
Speaker 2: Point where I was like, you know what, too much.
Speaker 3: I noticed my first training camp, I might need to rethink this thing and be a lawyer.
Speaker 1: Is crazy when you have those moments, Yeah yeah, this is the best job all time, but all time, we.
Speaker 4: All had that training camp.
Speaker 2: I tell people about time.
Speaker 3: People don't retire away from football just to retire away from football.
Speaker 2: They retired from training camp.
Speaker 5: Either training camp or you get an injury. Because I got hurt in my first training camp. So I remember just sitting there like by myself. The team is off playing.
Speaker 1: And they might just brace on my leg and I'm like, oh, when you're watching TV.
Speaker 4: So it's just.
Speaker 5: Gonna be like what I'm gonna be doing. This is who I am, this is I'm not gonna have it. I'm deep in my head, you know what I mean, And I'm like what. That's why I say I give so much credit to everybody. Why I never looked at you bigger than this person and me bigger than you, because I felt like it takes a lot for a man to be out here in this unital period because it's so many my games we go through. You might think that, oh ten a half. No worries, bro, I've been worrying all my life. Everybody I worded from the day that I told myself I was gonna be here to the day I got here, and then I still worried until I left you, you know what I'm saying. So it's one of those situations.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 5: Hats off to anybody that ever got a chance to suit up because it's a serious ball game, man, and it's one of those things. It's a it's a life changer, you know, whether you're playing or not. You know, you got to wake up and say Okay.
Speaker 2: This is over.
Speaker 3: You either live in your dream are you losing your dream? And this makes your reality a lot different.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so we got a little sidetracked there talking about the preseason stuff like that. Let's talk about joint practice a little bit more. And so one of the things that I hear people say, or you may you might hear on TV right, is that joint practices are better than preseason. So one of the reasons you get that is.
Speaker 3: Do you have a joint practice for Oh yeah, we joint precture with the Ravens all the time time.
Speaker 1: So the good thing about a joint practice schematically, I can do more stuff. Yes, I can run my actual offense. I can run my actual I.
Speaker 2: Can do more scout than my true team.
Speaker 1: That's exactly right. And I can evaluate not only the players, if I can evaluate the coordinators whether like this scheme is gonna work. I can evaluate my kickoff stuff.
Speaker 2: And I can evaluate your players.
Speaker 1: Yes. See, that's what you forget one hundred right, because.
Speaker 2: We know how you play here.
Speaker 3: One day you go in the knicks, I get to and then I get to evaluate you in high pressure situations. If I want to see if my tackle you can handle a plus pass rusher.
Speaker 2: Well, if the Jets out.
Speaker 3: Of Ravens got one, and I'm going, yes, I want you to go against him five or ten times. I want to see what you got against a guy like this, Oh, you're finna be outsto in Cornill.
Speaker 2: I want to see can you take on number one? Go take their number one? Like I can do different tasks that I can't do with my own team.
Speaker 1: In the preseason, you can't do it. Yeah, Like let's say I want to work two minute ones versus ones. I can't do that now, like really effectively, not on TV. I can't write right exactly. So I think that's something that again where the value is. And the other thing that I think that's important is, like, especially with stuff that Dan's been saying, is that he wants to use this as an opportunity to evaluate players their players are players scheme, but also as a kind of a dress rehearsal for the coaches, like, hey, let's work two minutes, let's work subs, let's work all these different things that we can get in before the preseason. And again, because we've got more offense in, it's going to feel more realistic to the game. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think that's valuable too to because you know, one of the things that we always you know, made aware of is like these games are generic. You know, the preseason games are genera you're not going to show you those looks, those funky looks defensively all offensively, so you can do it when you say, okay, we getst another team. So it's almost like a live game for us. But it's just in practice, you know, because we have this joint practice. I think that's very valuable. And those are the times too, like we talked about, we talked about earlier them a lot of times when you find a guy too and say, okay, this is the guy that I might want to see in a situation come this weekend. But it just showed us something, you know, against these guys live in practice.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I think the other interesting thing and other interesting thought here is like both the joint presses I did in my career, or all of them, all three of them were home. This one's away. Wait, yeah, how does it mean anything? Is it important?
Speaker 3: I like it when the team come together, when we on the road, it's the perfect team.
Speaker 2: Because you've got nowhere to go, you got nothing to do.
Speaker 3: We're gonna do this for the next couple of days, then we're gonna go play a preseason game.
Speaker 2: So so it forces us to spend.
Speaker 3: Time again, especially a team as new as this, like, regardless of the old guys we had, we still assembled.
Speaker 2: So many pieces from other places.
Speaker 3: The more time they can spend together, I don't care if it's bowling, walking and scrolling. I need them to spend time together on the road.
Speaker 4: It all depends too, just how they're gonna do it.
Speaker 5: So if you have a so I remember when my first joint practice, when I was in New York the Jets, we rode all the way over to Albanini I think it's Albany, New York, where the Giants was practicing that and we had a joint practice against them.
Speaker 4: I was going there with a you know, kind of hitching.
Speaker 5: My you know, get up or whatever. And I remember listening to line of Richie the whole ride. I was in the dumps. So when you in the dumps, she reached the lineup, I didn't.
Speaker 2: Reach for them. It just popped up.
Speaker 4: And I listened to him the whole time.
Speaker 2: You know he had that.
Speaker 4: I pard when it first came up.
Speaker 5: First line of Richie came up and I had the greatest hits of line Richie, and I was sad as.
Speaker 2: All I do.
Speaker 5: And I remember not having a practice because I'm saying to myself, I just come off for knee some years ago, and now I got this, you know, hamstring that's bothering me.
Speaker 4: I gotta go out here and go and I want myself.
Speaker 5: But I did drills. I didn't do anything to two vigorous on it. But it's just one of those things like that ride took forever. So I remember sitting that bus, like, man, we we got to go way up here.
Speaker 4: Get off the practice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I'm not sure we stayed that day or we came right back.
Speaker 4: I think we came back that night.
Speaker 5: So we had a whole four President came back and then I get here in five and we take a trip to go over at to Baltimore.
Speaker 4: Yep, that was a much shorter trip, and that was.
Speaker 2: In and out.
Speaker 4: We got we got it in Gore.
Speaker 2: We broke camp and had a good time.
Speaker 5: So it just all depends on how camp is going for you as a player and how the camp is set up, you know, you know, as a whole.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, yeah, and again like it brings them together. It is a little bit of adversity, right, kind of news environment. But I think the way Dan's handled up there is probably pretty smart. So like we're not gonna be driving, We're gonna get to the hotel, we're gonna have a practice, they're gonna have the day off before the game, you know, meetings and stuff like that, and then we're gonna have the preseason game. So I think it's just it's gonna be I think it's gonna be handled well. I think people are smarter. We're not.
Speaker 2: We don't want long road trips.
Speaker 3: Also, he said this is not just about the players, it's about the coaches learning their game routine going against other coaches. So I think that that should be said, especially when you're dealing with a new coaches staff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and uh, that thing that leads us really nicely into the preseason game. And so I think if you're a fan watching, and this is a question, what are some things you you watch for, you guys watch for when you're watching the preseason.
Speaker 2: I'm watching for the youth.
Speaker 3: Okay, to go out there and show me what you do when the lights are bright.
Speaker 2: Uh. To us, it's just another game.
Speaker 3: To them, it could be your last time living your dream on this field. It could be the beginning of something special. I want to see who wants to be a part of this fifty three And if you, if you're a fan, take your feelings out of it. I know fandodom is short for fanatics. Take it out, take it out, control your emotions. Look at the game, studious say, my office gonna be calling Bland plays. My defense gonna be calling Bland plays. So really it's a wrestling match, like, that's what it is. Who is physical and who is not all right? And who's gonna make a up.
Speaker 5: I knew that we was going to be a little off of how we look at things because I just know you as a person. I know me as a person. I'm always that you know, I don't need much. They just need the right stuff. I mean to see what I want to see, and that's.
Speaker 1: What you're different.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So just you ask that question, and I'm looking for detail, lineman assignment. How we get out of the huddle as a unit, you know, as a team. I'm not really looking for to shine. Yes, you're going to have that chance, But I want to see as a team, are we moving to the same tempo?
Speaker 4: You know what I mean?
Speaker 5: How far have we how far we have to go, and how far have we come from the first day of training camping to now. So you know, as a coach, if I was a coach, that's what I want to see my team. I want to see us moving in the same direction. I feel like if we're moving to the same tempo, then of course we're going to be on point when it's come to time, making they plays and doing stuff at the point.
Speaker 3: Because if your third screen is getting it in and at the huddle, do it crossing the teams in your eyes, well, you know your first screen is you're well taught.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that's one thing when you hear coaches get frustrated in the pre see the game, it's like, man, these guys really care about this. It's it's more like a barometer for your program.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like how you look.
Speaker 1: And I think that's the thing I look at it like I want to see again, Like if you're looking at the offense right, you're going to see like day one, two three install like pretty vanilla, pretty basic stuff, but alignments split spacing as quarterback on time? How are the protections are their free runners? Like do we understand what we're doing.
Speaker 2: Making the tackle?
Speaker 3: Yes, like doing this supposed to be easy to stay on their block, keeping your feet when they're supposed to be, keeping your hands inside small thing.
Speaker 5: Even if you didn't make the play or the block, you know you knew where to go at you you was going in that direction. That guy just you know, outwheeled you or did something that you know that he was supposed to do.
Speaker 4: So I look for all that the same thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think obviously talent's a big part of that for sure. And one thing I wanted to ask you, guys, but I forgot to ask you in the joint practice part, Aaron Rodgers are going to play in the preseason game. They just announced that, right, Yeah. But one of the things about joint practices you get to see that good quarterback what I've been saying, and so like what what is the expectation for the defense? And I also think it's really interesting too. This is just thought I had right now we're thinking about it, is you get to compare jayde Daniels to Aaron Rodgers. You get to see them throw for throw live and living color, which I do think is a is a really excellent barometer. Like with Robert down In when we were in rich Richmond, it was Tom Brady was like, Oh, yeah, like that's what that's.
Speaker 2: Supposed to look, That's what it looks like. Great.
Speaker 1: I think that that's another thing for for the quarterbacks specifically, But what does it mean for the defense.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna say this too. That wasn't fair for Robert honestly.
Speaker 2: And you got to think about it's not fair for anybody.
Speaker 4: No bingo, it wasn't fair.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I want going to this joint practice saying that I'm going to be trying to compare Jayden too to the old Aaron what.
Speaker 4: You call him double check.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this camp discount double.
Speaker 5: I won't compare it to him, but it would be great to see how Jayden.
Speaker 1: Rise to the let's just say like a mess. I'm not saying like.
Speaker 5: I wanted to see him say Okay, look across the field and say I got to go out there and make a plate your way, but make a play him to.
Speaker 2: Say, I want to learn learn from how he do things.
Speaker 3: If I'm a coach, especially if I had Tom Brady, and I'm like, I got Robert.
Speaker 2: I'd be like Robert, pick.
Speaker 3: His brain, watch what he's doing, watch how he does stuff to watch what he.
Speaker 2: Do, so I want you to mimic him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think it's also like, you know, they're gonna down to Miami and two, it just got paid this big contract. Like how does he do It's it's it's it's good that he's going to see good quarterbacks in the way, and it's good for the defense they're going to get to see her.
Speaker 5: And just one of the things that we've been hearing already, man, you know from Jayden, you know. And it's not something that we're gonna sit here in to this horn because I think it's too premature to do all that, but just everything he's been just playing this far. You know, all the vets, Terry and those guys on the other side playing defense against him, they just say, he's do everything right. He's a guy that ball placement, the way he get the ball in his hand, the things like he's he has players gravitating to him. When you when you hear people saying that you're gravitating to that to your quarterback. Yeah, he's the puppet master right now. He's doing his job because that's what you want. You want the team to be with you in unisons. And I think that's great for a young guy. We played with a lot of young guys, played with Jason Campbell. I didn't gravitate to Jason Campber Jackson quiet standout Jason.
Speaker 4: To this day, I can say this to him because that's my dog. I love Jason. But we was like, Jason, wake up, we out here, we over here, you know.
Speaker 5: And it's like, I'm The reason I'm saying is because younger guys take it on differently, you understand, And it's a it's a hard task to sit there and say this organization is on my shoulders. Yeah, now what do I do? You gotta have a guy with a different kind of personality, and I think I think the role of Robert for the way he handled it his first year, even though he did it differently, and it was like it was like watching the guy who was leading a rock.
Speaker 2: Band at times. Oh yeah he was.
Speaker 4: He went out there in ball you see what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: So for him to go out there and stand up in the paint, you know, kudos to Robert for doing so, but I know it was a task.
Speaker 4: And when things hit the.
Speaker 5: Fan, that's when we realized, like, Okay, now I'm a little puncture, Like what can you do now?
Speaker 3: You Siver city? Everybody don't bounce back well up from adversity. Versity is a test of life. You've been used to it going this way, but now he's going this way. What your butt gonna do?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: And I think, you know, obviously, like we talked about Aaron Rodgers, talked about adversity, talked about Jade Daniel, guys that are gonna make this roster. But I also think the great thing about the preseason, you know, Aaron Rodgers not have to worry about the preseason because they're gonna take care of him all the way through. Yeah, and even really Jade Daniels, you know, second overall pick. But there are a bunch of guys in this first preseason game that are putting that kind of first stamp on the resume, basically saying I deserve it. Are there any bubble guys that you're looking at and you say, I don't.
Speaker 3: Like to just say a guy's on the bubble because with this new coaching staff, like if this coach staff had been here four or five years, I think we would have a better feel of who's on the bubble and who's not.
Speaker 1: But what about a guy like Bryson Tremaine. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I feel like Bryson Tremaine has been making plays. The question in bryceon Tremaine is not how will he make it plays at wide receiver?
Speaker 2: What is special team?
Speaker 4: What else can you do?
Speaker 2: That's the cause, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Like, there's a dude who's been balling right, he looks good, YEA been making plays. How does he make the team? He comes out on teams and throws down and make some plays on offense.
Speaker 2: Can he be a gunner?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think he's been working at PP two, he's been doing personal protectives.
Speaker 2: Can't he block a gunner?
Speaker 3: Like you gotta have some in your repertoire that says, you know what I do, play receiver, But I want to be like Pringle and I want to stay on these rosters from playing special team.
Speaker 5: I think the doors wide open for anybody, especially this first prese is game already knowing a little bit in detail that how we're gonna you know, you know, have things going when it comes to the first team.
Speaker 4: Take a team at thirteen.
Speaker 5: So what I would be looking for is just those guys who are going to get most of the reps, the twos, the threes, and the fars.
Speaker 4: The ones already saying them, all of them. I want to I'm gonna watch them in a game setting.
Speaker 2: Now here you go.
Speaker 5: This is this is your real game. It's not a preseason game for you, guys. This is your time to show me that you deserve to be on this roster. Because we got guys who are we already believe that's going to make this roster.
Speaker 4: They're not playing. So this is your chance to say, Okay, it's on me.
Speaker 5: I get to start, I get to rotate, I get to go out here and make these plays. How do you how do you, you know, take on the stuff that we're giving you and when it how can you translate it to the football field.
Speaker 1: Is there one guy in particularly like so?
Speaker 5: So? Yeah, I think if I look on this list, I'm gonna call some of these names. They're gonna be obvious, but I'm gonna do so because I want to see them. Jamon Davis, he's with the.
Speaker 1: Speaking name of you peek like if like like sorry to cut you off to but like you got to rush the pastor h yeah, and this is your time to do it.
Speaker 3: Yes, right now, and this is gonna be the easiest pass rush you do up the whole year.
Speaker 5: Next he's one of them. I'm hey, it's the elephant in the room Forbes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hey, let me see you. You're gonna be out there, you too.
Speaker 3: I think they want to see Phillips fail and stand back up more than they want to see him succeed. They want because the dB it's not it's like it's like being in the battles box.
Speaker 2: I don't need but three three a team and I'm an all star.
Speaker 3: The one thing I can say all good conerbacks do well is that short memory.
Speaker 2: You could burn me.
Speaker 3: For eighty yards and I like, it ain't never happen. And that's what they want to see from Ford next.
Speaker 5: And then you got guys like Trent Scott you know right tackle you have down Brown Row get to the receivers. This is like one of those situations right now when it comes to so many guys, when you have the kids and he pringles back beyond me.
Speaker 4: They're dangling those guys back here for a reason.
Speaker 5: They're gonna let you know that he we want to we want the best core we can we can build, you know what I mean? Yo, he has to shine and step up right now in the preseason show he can do something other than being a receiver.
Speaker 4: Maybe he makes the team that way. So those are fruit guys, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: But Darrian Matthew.
Speaker 5: Matt he's a guy that's kind of you know, you know, yeah, he's in the depth chot. But I think that's the obvious because, like I say, you come into this first preseason game when you already have it, have a formats set up. These are guys gonna get the most reps. Yeah, now, how well can you go out there and do what we ask you to do?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think that's a great point. Like I couldn't have said it better myself. Just two a couple more names that I want to see. Chris Paul can he play both right and left guard?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: And then of the tight ends, Like you know, we've got those three dudes at the bottom, yank Off, Turner and ARMANI like which one of those threes stick stick acts out? So they're gonna. I think they're probably gonna keep four based on how they're using it was.
Speaker 5: The guy that we all loved that didn't play last year, Ammonia right, No, it was but Rogers, though it was Rogers. Rogers was the one that had a steralar twenty one season or.
Speaker 4: And last year got Yeah. I like that guy.
Speaker 2: I want to see.
Speaker 3: It's a Cole Turner, Like coll Turner has been turning heads since he got here at this time of year. Like the question is, and you brought it up, can you do it when it counts, be consistent?
Speaker 1: And so I think those those three guys, and then the other one would be Chris Rodriguez from me Man, because he's a guy that I think I've I've talked to him a couple of times. Great kid, works hard and doesn't his play style doesn't show up until he's in pads. Yeah, And so this is the first time they're going to be in pads against another team and get that big.
Speaker 2: Body rolling because the cavity that he wrote.
Speaker 1: And I think he could open some eyes here in pass protection catching the football. And again, like I think he made the team last year because he ran hard and it was against Baltimore made them look like, yeah, so does he do the same thing now does he have the opportunity because it's going to be tight, tight window.
Speaker 2: But also I want to bring up Andrew Jones junior.
Speaker 3: I think Andre Jones, Yeah, like is he a guy I love it, got great.
Speaker 2: Personality, length, speed? Uh can he turn the hands up?
Speaker 3: These coaches like this is what I think is this is pretty much is the most even playing.
Speaker 2: Field you can x for in the NFL.
Speaker 5: And then you got to understand too, like this is the thing that gets tricky because I remember being on a team like this where you have a new staff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you.
Speaker 5: Know what I'm saying, this is the most even, So it won't those things like, man, look you I can't take these these opportunities lightly. This is like this is this has my whole livelihood right now. Yeah, so every opportunity I'm not I got to put good, you know, good stuff on tape.
Speaker 1: And then I think, just we talked about pretty much every position, but the safety spot for me, you know, Jeremy Reeves is the two right dominic Hampton Percy Butler Tyler Owens has had a really nice couple weeks of practice. Does any one of those guys say, hey, look at me, I'm knocking really loud.
Speaker 3: I deserve to be on making a couple of plays and brought it up Percy Butler is a guy that played a lot of football last year.
Speaker 2: You draft in Hampton, like Derrick Farres, like default, like is a guy that's in a fight right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So that's why I think this first priesting game is always so much fun. Is because, hey, it's fun because you get to see everybody for the first time. Right, it's football. But also these are the things that we've been We've been following the team for a long time. When we finally get some type of answer, some type of direction, and hopefully these guys sees that opportunity.
Speaker 3: Were shot to see Monogamy returning kickoffs? Is he he's the number nineteen, right, Yes, he's the kickoff returning at number one, not Casey or Alley.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So what I'm not shocked because I think he has a thicker you know what.
Speaker 1: I mean, big guy, And I think he's he's done a really nice job at Nickel and so if he's going to be your backup Nickel, like he's got to play teams. Yeah, and so if you're looking for a return, I think with the kickoff stuff, I've been saying this for a couple of weeks now, I think you want a bigger body, especially after watching that Hall of Fame game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like break, you need somebody that can break two taps. Watch.
Speaker 5: I watched your boy who was here with us run that first kickoff. What his name was, number eighty two for the Texans, he was eighty six and for the Textans, I believe eighty two or eighty six.
Speaker 2: Was play here.
Speaker 4: He played receiv here.
Speaker 1: What his name Sims?
Speaker 4: Sims there you go, Yeah, I right, sim Siems got that first one.
Speaker 5: And I watched a body fall and he was he was going in that hole, and I'm like, see, that's where you need a running back because.
Speaker 2: He'll put their foot in the ground.
Speaker 4: He jumped, but the running back and run through that.
Speaker 5: You see what I'm saying, So you need for those like I watched that thing very carefully, and I'm like, yeah, yeah, I want to do a takeaway from a guy like Reeves who run down the field and make plays and on the kickoff side of it, and then I want it does to take away from a return who's running the ball, who's a much lighter guy, who's faster and quicker.
Speaker 4: Where does he he's.
Speaker 5: Staying When it comes to just how tight it's going to these holes are going to be tight, So you're gonna have to come in with different kind of counters and plays.
Speaker 3: Like a job for your whoever your third down back ends, they beg they.
Speaker 2: Can catch after back.
Speaker 3: This look like a job for Eric Metcalf, It looked like a job for Dave Meggett.
Speaker 2: This what type does this is?
Speaker 3: As The funny thing about it, b Mitch would have.
Speaker 1: Been perfect these kick He would have been running like I actually remember watching I was watching the Hall of Fame game, and I was like, I had the same thought. I was like that downhill attacking style with killing this because think about it, if you get through that.
Speaker 3: Line, if one person miss you and the kicker I was more of a scatter.
Speaker 5: That's why I you know, I did kick off all the way up until I did in my first year in the league as well.
Speaker 4: But I couldn't deal with this stuff.
Speaker 5: I'm watching this, I'm like, bro, I don't like this, Like I need room, you know, I need I need to make one guy miss and then get it. Yeah, turn on the speed boosters or whatever. But yeah, it's just like you need a back bro. You need somebody that's shifty and has a gear to that. Then once he gets past that line, man, it's all you know, he'll break loose.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I thought, like Chris Rodriga, like how he runs would be perfect, like just get just put your foot downhill. We're having a car crash if you turn it down. I'm scaring to touch it like this because again, like I I've watched when I was covering the XFL, this is how the return was and I and I thought, oh, you can do some trick returns. You can like revers it and the gap skin stuff. But then the coverage guys are too fast. Now they're too fast, they're too good. So you got to be a little bit more. I think stylistically changed.
Speaker 2: I think you have to put some strint that on his speed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, all right. So the other big thing we're talking about for the Priests game is looks like Jade's gonna start yep over Mariota shocks. No one does shocks, no one, It doesn't matter, is it important? And what do you want to see, Well, we.
Speaker 5: Probably not see much. I said that before, but it's one of those things too, man. You know, do they give him a couple of plays like you know when when when Roberts started. I know this is a different time. You know, that first group went out there that first game and went out there and ran about ten plays and it was a nice one because I think we drove down the field and scored. I remember ps going to touchdown. So you know, it's one of those things you will want to see that. But I think having this joint practice you get a chance to really probably see it then and then probably this first preseason game. You say, okay, well we saw nothing to joint practice. We don't need to see it for the first preseason game because it's there's going to be that game that comes up where everybody's gonna play like I have. Maybe they get him ready for that that that game instead of seeing him this first preseason game.
Speaker 3: Regardless if he touches the field, I need beyonddish.
Speaker 2: It's his center, this first team.
Speaker 3: I need my first team offensive line out there to protect this first team guy.
Speaker 2: And if he throwing the ball, I want him to be throwing.
Speaker 3: The ball to the first team WHI I receive, I handed it out to the first team running back.
Speaker 2: It's just one of those things.
Speaker 3: I can only insulate him with protection by letting the first team do to protect.
Speaker 1: I think that's a great point that Tanner brings up too. It's just like you if you want to see him with the ones, like let the ones run, get them a drive or too. And I remember Mike used to say, and Kyle and Shawn you say the same thing. It's like, hey, if you scoring our first drive, you're gonna be done, Like, go, go do it.
Speaker 4: Give me out the game, coach.
Speaker 1: The hard part is you're so amped up and you're so nervous. Usually yea three and out the sideline and then you got it. Then your second drivers, I.
Speaker 3: Say, but then that's kind of help to do because you got the pants. Now let's go out here, guys and let's drive.
Speaker 5: All calm down, because I remember I had I had a game plan, like you know you actually, I don't know if we asked this question, but like I had a serious game plan. I wanted to be in there for as many players that do the ones that's gonna be in and I want to catch that was my game plan.
Speaker 4: Give me a catch, Let me get these butterflies out. Now. Yeah, you know, I get it. Once I got that catch, I ain't want more than one.
Speaker 5: But I've been in some preseason game where I caught four or five, you know, But I get that one.
Speaker 4: Okay, I've seen enough, coach. Let me go ahead and go by my food. I used to love.
Speaker 3: I love staring the game on defense, but I want them to sweep the ball my way.
Speaker 2: I want to get dirty, like I want to. First of all, I want to. I want to I want to try to run. I want listen, y'all can see here and Tyle, you want to. I played the run very well.
Speaker 3: All my defense coaches tell you I played.
Speaker 2: Nobody turned my car.
Speaker 1: The reason I did. I don't why.
Speaker 2: Jason laughed, Yeah what Jason?
Speaker 1: Seeing the moment again, I laughed because, like it's just such an unexpected answer. I know you played good football and your tough football player, but it just is not what people expect. I think of you, at least what I expect.
Speaker 3: I want them to turn. I want them to try to turn the corner. So now I feel like I'm a part of the football game. Forget just coming out here on his free rate and covering the wide receive. The football game still got to be played. And once I got dirt, I used to roll around in the gray and I'd be like, yeah, now I'm ready to play some football.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah. There's something to it, like something being involved in that physical action really, Like it's like you've been in pad. So I remember a game against Tampa was our first preseason game, and I pulled out to cut the corner. You just made me think of it, and I was running out there and I'm like, I'm gonna smoke this dude, because like, oh camp get a chance, you can smoke them, right, But like also they can cut you now, oh yes. And so that dude came down and put me face first into the turf and I was like, forgot about that one. I got to reevaluate my contact rules here. But so that's another reason for preseason. It's like you're getting back in at tackling, blocking, cutting, all that kind of stuff because it's live and in living color. So now let's talk about the most important part of this podcast, and that's game predictions. Who is gonna win this preseason game? I can't even do it with the strip and doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: The fans for the Washington gonna win and the fans for the Jets going. They are so hyped up in the Jets fans to see Aaron out there again, and we so hyped up about a new draft pick, and they not gonna play, not winning. They want to say the way is winning because football is back.
Speaker 2: They don't win. They don't see they guy.
Speaker 3: I'm saying, yeah, it'll probably what's the dude the Jets got up there, Marshall, Bill Little?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's his name?
Speaker 1: The guy with the hats?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I played in New York.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 4: Those Jet fans are brutal.
Speaker 5: I hope they tell them earlier that that Roger's not playing. And I don't want to hear them a guy.
Speaker 1: That they can put the pressure out early just they're better. So again, fans win. I think that's one hundred percent right, does does it matter?
Speaker 4: Doesn't matter?
Speaker 5: No, No, And I tell you I want to see I want to see us moving in the direction that I want to see us moving in.
Speaker 4: And do I want to see.
Speaker 5: Progress from the crack of football team? Yeah, bingo, I told you. I already said everything. I want to see when it comes to the lineman assignment, all that stuff, getting out huddle, and I just want to see guys executing sharp, look, sharp, execute, execute, and the ball score when we have opportunity to score.
Speaker 4: That's a win for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's one hundred defense. I want to see turn them all over, guys locked in, turn them all over, guys locked in. Can we create pressure guys winning one on ones like that, to me is a successful preseason. And when you're watching it, it's gonna go in tears. It's going to go first group fifteen players and then my my evaluation changes, yes, because that's like real offense. Then we got to go twos, have the backups. Look what's going on. Who's going to make a name for themselves. He's gonna make the roster kind of like what you were talking about, Fred, Like some of those matches.
Speaker 3: I always wanted two players that make their name in this preseason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, put I kind it. Put in a Victor Cruz. Yeah, put Victor Cruise. Just show up. Before you know it. You forget.
Speaker 5: You know those those threes and twos, I mean threes and fours, all that still go out the door. They playing a real game. It's like we're playing for our check. We know we're playing for a change, playing for you to be there next week too, because you know a lot of guys first game they won't make so so it's one of those things like that is the game once those that halftime over with that group of guys come in.
Speaker 4: Man, hey, this is a live game.
Speaker 1: And you watched the dudes like pouring it out like you stay, you stay on the sideline right and you watch like defensive like threes dudes like when the checks on the line. Yeah, you're gonna see some dudes pour it out.
Speaker 3: Listen, They're gonna look at you and they're gonna transform whatever they used to be to the animal this inside of that.
Speaker 4: I remember we had that dude bag Dad, remember the back Dad was.
Speaker 2: He was a receiver. Oh what his name Ross?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, this is before then.
Speaker 5: He was twenty ten, two thousand, I'm talking about two thousand and ten. Two thousand, yeah, two thousand and ten. I believe rookie, rookie he would he would come in that thing and go deep and we'd be.
Speaker 2: Like every week we wanted to get him in the game. When he got in the game.
Speaker 4: He was going deep on your mouth and then we.
Speaker 3: Do, like really form a friendship guy and you care about Yeah, you care about him, man, you.
Speaker 1: Care about him hundred percent. So path in that direction, give me a sleeper man of the match, someone you're like, Man, I hope this guy. I hope this guy shows the world, shows out or maybe you think he's gonna have a good game. I don't know how you want to take that. Whatever direction you want, let me. You want me to serve.
Speaker 2: Something going with one.
Speaker 4: I'm because I like this guy.
Speaker 5: I'm an eighty three Marcus Rosemi Jackson with me, Jack Sink. Jack Sink showed me something the first mini cap. And you know, it's kind of hard pickings out here, tough pickings out here right now, because there's so many other guys probably getting opportunities. But he's gonna be a guy who's gonna get a chance to probably play more in the preseason, especially this first game.
Speaker 4: And I think he's one of those guys. Man, he gonna take it really serious.
Speaker 5: He comes with that that mentality that Hard had in lunch pal.
Speaker 4: Type of mentality. So yeah, I can see him going out there making the name.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go Andrew Jones Junior, andre I want him to play.
Speaker 4: I said Andrew every time he say Andrew Jackson.
Speaker 3: Because when I said Andre, I mean I said andre the first time you like Andre.
Speaker 2: No, you said Andrew. I don't know what putting that on me? Like andre Jon.
Speaker 4: Now looks like his nickname.
Speaker 3: I want to see him as a draft picked last year, really get to show himself.
Speaker 1: I've got jewish.
Speaker 2: I want to see him say you know what. I know, y'all dragged me last year. Don't forget about me. I could play some football.
Speaker 1: Jones Junior, Gosh, I love I really love both those because those are really good selections. I'm gonna say like five people because I can't keep myself to one to say eight. I'm gonna say bryceon Tremaine. I like that one. Mitchell Tinsley, all right, So I want to see him on the same same kind of boat, right, guys, is gonna make two hour sives. I want to see uh No Pollard, that little sawt off dude from Virginia Tech. He was such a good pass rushing right, yeah, yes, such a good pass rushing college. He's gonna get lined up against somebody who thinks he's a slouch. He's gonna have like three sacks. Yeah right, nice I chogi.
Speaker 2: Oh man, it's gonna do it. Say it, you know, get it? Nope, go do it.
Speaker 1: Give it all to me. A newseum number twenty three is that big cornerback from Colorado State. You want to see what he looks like. So those are four guys that I want to just I think are going to have good performances. I'm excited to watch them.
Speaker 3: It ain't too many names you run into that you can't pronounce. I enjoyed seeing you scruggling right there. I really did to the point that you say his first Now you just say, you know what a news shot.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna go for the I g o z I is the thing that gets me.
Speaker 2: So it's c H I G o z I. E.
Speaker 1: Yeah, give it a shot. T hell no, chickens, we know stop it. Well you know, sorry, Well next next podcast on. So fine out and we say correctly, So, guys, thanks a lot for the support. Makes you guys go out and vote remember those quarters. Check your email or do you guys get to vote again? Yeah, and keep this thing rolling for the podcast and uh, Yeah, looking forward to the joint practice of the preseason, and that's going to do it.
Speaker 2: That's it enausium.
Speaker 1: The views and opinions expressed by our podcast guests and or hosts are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views or positions of the Washington Commanders or any of their representatives.