Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to another episode of Snake's Territory, part of the Foul Territory Network. Be sure to like this video, subscribe to our channel, maybe leave us a five star review wherever you get your podcast. I am Jesse Friedman alongside Jack Summers and Jack. Just a couple days ago, the Arizona Diamondbacks were interested in trading four Casey miz That was the reporting that was out there. We talked about him as a target. And then the Diamondbacks go out and they face him as he lands with the San Diego Padres. They score eight runs on nine hits. They knock him out in the fourth inning, a big win for the Diamondbacks, Jack by a final score of ten to four.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, talk about a game dripping with irony and just you know how many times have we had to say you can't predict baseball tonight.
Speaker 2: It's really credible what we just saw.
Speaker 3: And uh, some crow will be eaten on this episode.
Speaker 4: It's a trend. It's a trend around here. We love it when that happens. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The Diamondbacks offense was I think the primary storyline of this game. Mitch Bratt was also a big storyline. We'll we'll talk more about him later in the episode, but Diamondbacks had some wasted opportunities in the first couple of innings. It kind of looked like Casey Myz was maybe going to settle in, but then the d Backs able to push across a run. In the bottom of the third, Gabby Moreno hits a sack fly there, Tim Tawa hit a solo home run. After that, d Backs pick up a two to nothing lead, and then in the fourth inning, this d Backs offense just goes off. James McCanns starts that inning with a flyout, but then it goes double, single, single, single, single walk, and at that point Casey Mice was out of the game. D Backs continued to tack on after that. With Kyle Hart in the game, they ultimately push their lead up to eight nothing in that inning. And yeah, it was just kind of stunning to watch Jack. I mean, this was not just Casey Mei's worst start of the season. This was arguably the worst start of his career. That eight earned runs, those eight earned runs that he allowed, that was a career high for him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, and the funny thing was everyone was worried about his velocity, and it wasn't down. It was about the same, you know, a slight dip at the end of his outing, but that was a long inning, so you kind of expect that, so it wasn't a velocity thing, so, you know, and early in the game, I mean, you know, he threw some splitters in in that first and second inning, and I'm thinking, oh boy, here we go with another guy with a good splitter. But then he kind of ran away from that pitch, didn't throw so many after the first inning or two, and then it just you know, all got away from him. The d Backs started out zero for five with runners in scoring position, and they ended up six for fourteen, So they went six for their next nine with runners in scoring position. So, you know, we always talk about the risk numbers and often they're highlighted early in the game when things are looking a little rough. Six for fourteen tonight, guy, that's pretty pretty dark good.
Speaker 4: You'll certainly take that. That is not bad.
Speaker 1: Casey Mice, of course, faced the Diamondbacks earlier this season and had a lot of success six innings of one run ball with nine strikeouts at Chase Field back on March thirty, first but yeah, this was just a bizarre game for him. He generated just two whiffs throughout this outing on seventy seven pitches. Granted he hadn't pitched in eleven days. The Tigers scratched him in his last start before the deadline, so you'll wonder if maybe maybe that had an impact. But I guess if we want to make the storyline Jack that the d Backs actually won the trade deadline, I mean that's fair, right, Like we can say that at this point, right.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, you know, a bullet dodged all that good stuff. I mean, you know, imagine if they had gotten Casey my and inserted him in the rotation tonight over Mitch Brett and San Diego did to him what the Diamondbacks just did to him. You know, we'd be lighting our computers on fire.
Speaker 1: I think it's a reminder for me that, especially with rentals, like even if on paper you win the trade deadline, when it comes to rentals, two months of baseball is just not a long time. And really anything can happen in that small a sample size, And so there is this element of like, hey, even if you go out and get a starting pitcher who's legitimately good or a hitter who's legitimately good. All that really matters is how they perform over a two month stretch, and that's just a that's a that's a small sample.
Speaker 4: And while I.
Speaker 1: Certainly don't think we're dismissing Casey Miyes over over one bad outing, I don't think that would be reasonable. But is it possible that Myz goes out there and has a you know, four to seven five era for the pod?
Speaker 4: Totally right?
Speaker 1: And like Robbie Ray isn't a perfect starting pitcher either. You look at his underlying numbers for this season, looks a little bit more like a mid four type e er pitcher than you know, the low three mark he has up to this point in the season. So you know, maybe maybe we're jumping the gun a little bit to say the Diamondbacks, you know, won the trade deadline, or that it's a good thing they didn't go out and get a starting pitcher. I do not agree with that at all, But there is this reality of you just never know what's going to happen, and and heck, if Mitch Bratt pitches like this a few more times the rest of the way, maybe the d Backs actually didn't need a starting pitcher when when all was said and done.
Speaker 3: Well, I wanted them to go get a reliever over a starter, right, you know, And I'll stick with that, but that's another story. You know, I was disappointed. Look, the one thing I want to say about all this, You know, for sure Monday afternoon, you know, we had a reaction, and there was some of the in that reaction, but we were reflecting the emotion around us, the emotion around us in that clubhouse, the emotion around us.
Speaker 2: In that interview room.
Speaker 3: I mean, I have never seen my case and that upset, that angry, that disappointed, and you know, as it later came to understand, they had a deal in place for Clay Holmes, and that deal got mixed because the Mets had concerns over medicals that they saw on the player that was involved. Who we don't know it is. And I'm not going to speculate. I have thoughts, but I'm not going to speculate publicly who it might be. It's just not fair. But you know, what we were exposed to was a team and players, and despite his surface words, Tory and of course Mike, these were some really upset emotional people. That's what we were exposed to, and we had the results in front of us of just the new bar trade, so that's what we reacted to. I think it was a legitimate reaction. I still think there's a long ways to go before we know how all this plays out. But for one night, this was a fantastic result. I mean, we can't help but be encouraged by what we saw from Mitch Bratt, of course, and the way the offense performed tonight was exactly what they needed.
Speaker 1: We'll get to Brat Moore here in a moment. I do want to stick on the offense here. Diamondbacks had five different hitters with multiple hits in this game, Corbyn Carroll, Tim Tawa, Eildemar Vargas, Tyler Locklear, and Ryan Waldschmidt. I mean, we could really highlight any of those guys, but I'm going to start with this graphic here, which shows that that Tim Tala, excuse me, had four of the five hardest hit balls in this game.
Speaker 4: Jack pretty pretty impressive stuff here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when he hit that home run, that's when I really felt like, oh wow, they got a good chance to beat Casey Maize, and I started you know, looking up and I see Bryce Swartz also was thinking along the same page as I was. I quoted in game all we on Twitter Tim Tower's numbers since being recalled from Reno, and as of right now, he's batting two seventy six in twenty five games, and he's got five homers and five doubles and eighteen RBIs after his three for four tonight with the sackfly two RBIs. So, I mean, and the thing that's really cool about Tim is he's playing first base, he's playing center field, he's playing third base. He made a really nice play at third base tonight. I think it was the only put out he had up until that point until the very end of the game. And you know that that just kind of signified to me. I mean, he's made some really nice plays at first you see him ranging in center. I spoke to him about it on Monday night, and of course, you know, immediately just giving all the credit to the coaches and for helping him. I was asking him, how is he staying sharp at each position, because he's playing each position like a starter, And he gave all the credit to coaches and the work that they had put in with him. And then immediately said, yeah, but that one ball I didn't dig out of the dirt tonight, that's going to stick with me. So, you know, this is a gamer, this is a grinder, and it's just great to see him having.
Speaker 2: Some success.
Speaker 1: Elsewhere with the offense. Ryan Waldschmidt had three hits as well. We've talked about the batting average on balls and play, the fact that maybe there's some regression overdue there, and yet Ryan Waldschmitt just did use to go out and have games like this. He did hit the ball particularly hard in this game as well. These were not you know, bloops that were dropping in. We've seen some of those from him, but these were three really, really well hit baseballs. And his batting average for the season is up to two ninety eight.
Speaker 3: One of these days, I'm going to write a book that's titled you Know How I Learned to Relax and Embrace Inflate bab.
Speaker 1: I think there's a big market for that book. I think I think that that's that's a widely appealing bestseller in the works for sure. No, No, not at all, not at all. Yeah, another really good game for wald Schmidt. Eildemar Vargas four runs, batted in in this one as well. Just a well rounded effort for the Diamondbacks offense against once again a pitcher that we at least thought was good coming into this one. Casey Myzra was two point seven zero entering this start. It was three point four zero by the end of it. Pretty impressive stuff for the Diamondbacks to just jump on him. And things did get a little bit interesting late in the game. Kevin Ginkel did not have his best outing tonight. Paul Sewald came in and got the final out of this one. I guess just a footnote there. I know you've been talking about this for a while, Jack, that this Diamondbacks bullpen has maybe agressed, and we did see a little bit more of that in this one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, it's just been kind of creeping in there. You know, it fits and starts obviously, you know, as you pointed out to me, you know, Garcia Mario have still been excellent in our career. Is you know, he's been fantastic as well. You know, it's not straight truck, but we're just seeing you know, besides Thompson and Seawald, we're seeing rough outing here, rough outing there from you know, other guys taking turns a little bit more frequently than we had been up until a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 2: So you know, it is what it is.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's we're at August fifth and a lot of guys are getting tired, and it's going to.
Speaker 2: Be really interesting.
Speaker 3: You know, when we have a little bit later discussion, we'll see how they kind of re engineered the bullpen a little bit, and you know, and that's going to be in conjunction with what happens with the starters and returning players, and it's going to be an interesting and fascinating thing to track how they manage this going forward, both from a roster perspective and workloads and roles and who's going to be used in what situation. A lot of moving parts here.
Speaker 1: Mitch Bratt was, of course, arguably the biggest story but at least one of the biggest stories for the Diamondbacks in this one. So we are going to talk a whole lot of Midge Brat, But first we're going to take a quick break, so don't go anywhere here on Snake's territory.
Speaker 4: Will be right back after this.
Speaker 1: Well, the Diamondbacks still have several more games in this important home stand facing some NL West opponents. Of course, one more game against the San Diego padres on Thursday, and the best plays to go if you want to get out to one of these games is our friends over at sea Geek. With over thirty five million download, sea Geek is the number one rated ticketing app. There are more than seventy thousand events listed on sea Geek, including concert, sports, festivals, and more. And they have this wonderful rating system on a scale of one to ten where you can see how good of a deal you're getting on any seat in the house. And for analytics nerds like us, we love that. We love numbers. It's a beautiful thing. So b sure to check out sea Geek if you have not already, and of course we have a code for you to use. You can use code territory ten for ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at sea Geek. That's ten percent off any MLB tickets with promo code Territory ten. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so that you can use it later. Thank you, see Geek Well jack It feels like an understatement to say that this was the best start in Mitch Bratt's career, because holy cow, he threw seven innings. He allowed just one hit, no runs, three walks, nine strikeouts. In this he was efficient, just ninety two pitches thrown, and maybe you're like, all right, one hit, Like maybe he got a little lucky here there. The Padres expected batting average against him was one nineteen. They made basically no compelling contact in this game, and again there was quite a bit of swing and miss as well, with far and Away a career high with nine strikeouts.
Speaker 3: You know, a guy flashed to my mind watching this start tonight and watching him be able to place that fastball the top of the zone or a little bit above it, sometimes get the call on a ball that was probably you know, to get her strike call on a pitch that was high. Fortunately, the Padres burned their challenges.
Speaker 2: Very early in this game.
Speaker 3: But older DBAX fans are going to remember Doug Davis, and he was pretty underrated pitchers. A left hander, he was more or less a league average innings eater, but he could give you fairly consistent between like one hundred and five hundred and ten plus. You know, his fastball couldn't break a pane of glass, but he challenged hitters with it all the time up at the top of the zone through a good curveball. In that regard, I mean the personality wise, how they look, their demeanor, none of that's the same. But just there's a lot of similarity there for me. And you know, Doug Davis was a very effective pitcher for a good four or five year run of pitching, you know, above league average, above one hundred ra plus and giving the team innings, and you know, similar you kind of adjust for the ear a little bit, kind of similar stuff. So I think there's a pathway here for Brett. And the funny thing is is what made me think about Doug Davis was Brett walking the leadoff batter three innings in a row and then just getting out of it. And I remember using used to having a bit of a perverse pleasure in watching Doug Davis put guys on base, just to see how he was going to.
Speaker 2: Get out of it, because he always did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a fun that's a fun comp I had not thought of Doug Davis, but I can definitely see where you're coming. From There's something with Brat that I'm not sure I've fully wrapped my mind around, but like teams just really struggle to square him up in a way that I don't know if I fully understand, but it has felt like a very real thing up to this point in his career. I mentioned the one to nineteen expected batting average entering or in this game for the San Diego Padres. You also look at his numbers for the season and you look at the underlying data against him, and opposing teams really have not done much damage when they've put the ball in play. The issue was just, you know, he was walking too many guys, and he wasn't missing all that many bats, but there seemed to be this kind of soft contact element to his game, and we absolutely saw that here here in this one. Hard to do better than limiting the Padres to one hit over seven innings, I guess if you're nitpicking, which you kind of alluded to this, yeah, maybe you'd like to see him not walk the first batter of an inning quite so often. The leadoff man for the Padres reached in innings two through five, three of those via the walk, but also those were the only four base runners that he allowed the entire night, so you really can't be too upset about that, but it is this strange phenomenon. I think Bratt talked about this after a recent outing, where he feels more comfortable somehow once there's somebody on base, and the numbers definitely bear that out.
Speaker 4: Up to this point.
Speaker 1: This is entering today, Bratt had a six h four ops against with runners on base and a twelve seventy eight ops against with the bases empty. So I don't know if that's a thing, Jack. It's maybe something that you'd like Bratt to not have to rely on so much, but something about getting someone on first base that just seems to allow him to dial things in.
Speaker 3: Well, that's an interesting stat I wasn't aware of that one. You blow me away, Jesse. It's so much fun doing this podcast with you, because you just surprised me with stuff left, right and center all the time.
Speaker 1: It kind of blew my mind too. I didn't think the difference would be that stark, but it is. If you also look at the leading off an inning opposing hitters or ten for twenty two with six walks in twenty eight played appearances, So like really rough numbers the first battered an inning, but then he has this way of just kind of dialing it in after that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, is he winding up with nobody on base and then going to the stretch or is he pitched me from the stretcher all the time?
Speaker 2: You know, I should know that, and for some reason, my brain is blanking.
Speaker 3: If anyone in the comments can remind me on that, let me know, because if he's winding up with nobody on base and then going to the stretch, maybe he's a candidate to just go straight stretch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's an interesting thought. I'm not one hundred percent sure on that myself, but yeah, what we do know is Mitch Bratt now has a three point nine zero era. I'll go ahead and throw his pitch chart from tonight up here. You can see there are a few bigger misses here and there some uncompetitive pitches being thrown around. But what felt unique about this game is he really was in the zone quite a bit. His zone rate was fifty five percent, which is very very good. It's actually higher than his zone rate was down in Reno by a few percentage points. So good to see him show that he can hit the plate with regularity at the big league level, and some kind of crazy facts on this. This is from our pal Alex Weiner over at Arizona Sports. He pointed out that Brad is the youngest pitcher in d BAC's history to throw at least seven innings with zero earned runs and one hit in a start. According to Head. There's another nugget here from opt to stats that the Diamondbacks just retweeted on Twitter. This one's a little bit niche, but it's still kind of fun. Since pitches were first tracked in nineteen eighty eight, Brat is the only rookie lefty in MLB to have an outing where a toss seven or more innings, allowed no more than one hit, struck out nine or more batters, threw under one hundred pitches, and earned the win. So I know, there's kind of a lot of qualifiers in there. It seems like OPTA stats really specializes in those, But hey, I don't know, Maybe we just say that Mitch Brad is the best rookie starting pitcher since nineteen eighty eight.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's what I That's what I take from that. Jack.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, he's at least the best rookie starting pitcher since Paul Schemes.
Speaker 2: How's that sure?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think we can.
Speaker 1: I think we can say that, uh yeah, really really good stuff from Brad in this one. I do think it's you know, his like fip inex FIP. If you look at his underlying numbers for this season, and frankly there's still not in line with a three nine zero era. His FIP is five five zero, his ex FIP is five nine to two. But we're talking about a pretty small sample size here, so you know, if he goes out there and has a couple of other outings like this, those numbers are are gonna switch around in a hurry.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, it's like you said, he's got twenty eight innings pitched, so we'll see where things roll there. Obviously, eighteen walks and twenty eight innings is not going to be workable long term, but I think those walk numbers have got to come down, you know, and I'd probably expect the hit rate to go up, so you know, we'll see how he balances that out.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely definitely going to need to limit the walks moving forward in order to have sustained success. That brings us into a conversation about the Diamondbacks starting rotation at large. Here Jack Michael Soroka made a rehab outing, or maybe a rehab start with Triple A Reno yesterday. Put up pretty good numbers as you can see here, four innings, three hits, one run, two walks, one strikeout because Vilo was down a tick average ninety two point seven on the four seamer, but nothing alarming there after as much time down as he's had, and it sounds like he's going to return to the Diamondbacks starting rotation for his next outing, which I think would be on Monday against the Rockies. Our is our best guess as of right now.
Speaker 2: There is a caveat there. Sure, yeah, so yeah.
Speaker 3: John Gambadoro tweeted out that the Diamondbacks are still trying to figure that out because it really depends on who needs the most rest.
Speaker 2: You know, he rod through I think one hundred and something.
Speaker 3: Did he go over one hundred and two pitches you know, in his rough outing on Tuesday, and so they may opt to push him back a day and give him a little bit extra rest and go with Soroca on Sunday if they feel he's ready, so they stay tuned for that. We're not sure how that's going to fall. I don't know when the Diamondbacks will announce that, but there's there's a little bit of ways to go there before we know for certain. So it could be Sunday against the Dodgers for Soroka.
Speaker 1: So I guess one way or another, the expectation is that Soroka he's not making another rehab start, and now he's coming back, the Diamondbacks are are bringing him back up, and so that sets up a decision that the team will will have to make Mitch Bratt after what he did today. I feel like it's kind of impossible at this point that the Diamondbacks are going to remove Mitch Bratt from the rotation after this. I guess that means that Cole Drake there's there's certainly some pressure there with him making the start tomorrow. I imagine that even entering these these two games with those guys pitching, Bratt was probably probably already had the upper hand slightly just given the I think he's a more well regarded prospect. He certainly had much better numbers in Reno underlying numbers and the majors. Maybe we're a little better for him even entering today, but after today, it feels like Mitch Bratt's spot is probably pretty safe.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I got asked about this on Reddit, and any of our reddit friends that are tuning in tonight have already seen my response, so this won't be news to you. Of course, I don't know what the team is going to do, but their options more or less line out like this. You know, they a number one, they either option Bratt or Drake. Most likely it's option Drake in that scenario when Soroka comes back or be they move one of Bratt or Drake, and again most likely Drake goes to the bullpen, in which case, if they do that, then somebody needs to be removed from the bullpen, and your options there would be to of course, you know, they just brought Phill Babner back that they could option him, They could option Coreo, or they could dfa Paul Seawald. So those are some of the options that they have there if they want to make a move. Now it looks like they're trying their best to get Paul Seawald right. They keep using him in these low livered situations. Doesn't look very good. So we'll see how that turns out. Maybe they're still evaluating, or maybe they're just you know, letting it play out the string here, But that's going to come to a head by Sunday Monday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what they what they do there. The Diamondbacks don't really have a designated long man right now.
Speaker 4: Certainly Brat or Drake. If you were to move.
Speaker 1: Them into into the bullpen, they could they could give you a few innings and maybe that would be nice. As the Diamondbacks walk through this stretch of playing a whole lot of games with not much time off, they they managed to survive up to this point, they do have guys who could maybe give him a couple of innings. Herado Correo has certainly done that. I don't think option in Careo is really an option. I mean, I know it technically is. But he's looked really, really good for the Diamondbacks out of the bullpen, to the point that Carreo might play his way into more of a high leverage role here before too long.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, we'll see how that happens.
Speaker 2: I think for now he's probably still going to be in length and lower leverage.
Speaker 3: I don't think that's gonna happen quickly unless there's injury and they get forced into it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's fair well. Cole Drake is making the start tomorrow against the San Diego Padres. He'll be opposed by Walker Buehler. Another really big game here is where the standings sit after this one Diamondbacks at sixty one and fifty four. They are tied with the Phillies for the second and third wild card spots. Phillies lost ten to four in eleven innings to the Nationals, which is kind of wild. They gave up six runs in the top of the eleventh. Padre is now two games behind the Phillies and d Backs on the outside looking in Marlin's three games out, Cardinals four, Pirates four and a half, and then the Reds at five and the Nationals at five and a half. So we knew how big these games were.
Speaker 4: Jack.
Speaker 1: If the Diamondbacks could find a way to win this series tomorrow, that would be pretty enormous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that I'm greedy the fact that the Dodgers lost six in a row. If the d Backs can win tomorrow and then have a good series against the Dodgers. Can I dream on the division being put in play?
Speaker 1: Just saying, I mean, I get so, I don't see. I don't even have the NL West standings.
Speaker 4: We haven't.
Speaker 1: We haven't looked at the NL West standings in quite a while at this point. But pulling it up on my computer here, the Diamondbacks are eight games behind the Dodgers in the NL West. I think, I mean, could the d Bacs get it down to like four or five games and get it to the point where you could say it was a race. I think that's possible. The Dodgers, bizarrely, are in a huge rut right now. They've they've gotten swept in back to back series. They won't play again until they play the Diamondbacks here this weekend. But the amount of talent on that roster, it's hard for me to go too far down that road. I'm sorry to burst your bubble there, Jack.
Speaker 3: No, it's not bursting my bubble. I'm just sitting here thinking, boy, that would be funny as heck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it would be awesome. Is I'll get out.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, you'd have to hold me by my ankles to keep it from floating away. But I just think the humor value of that. If somehow someway, after everything that's been said and done, the Dodgers didn't win the NL West, that would just be the coolest thing ever.
Speaker 4: That would be. That would be pretty wild.
Speaker 1: One other note on one of the other NL contenders. I mentioned the Phillies lost that game ten to four. I don't want to burst your bubble here, Jack, but Brooks Raley gave up a couple of runs in that game, took a blown save for the Phillies, And I know you were talking about Raley maybe as a candidate for the Diamondbacks. Caleb Killian also someone that the Phillies traded for. Killian gave up five runs, four of them earned Killian acquired in a deal with the San Francisco Giants. So just more evidence that no matter what you do at the trade deadline, like anything can happen over two months, regardless of the names that you bring in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't really have a whole lot to say there.
Speaker 2: That kind of silences me.
Speaker 1: Brooks Raley still probably would have been a nice acquisition for the Diamondbacks, despite the fact that he gave up two runs tonight.
Speaker 3: Kind of going back to my thoughts on you know, maybe Drake going to the bullpen, you know, another lefty down there again, Maybe that that's something that would help free up Garcia to kind of assume the closes role as a bona fide closer, as the closer you know. Right now, obviously they probably can't afford to do that. They still have to play the matchups. But you know, if Drake's pitching well and they find him effective and they want to slot him in there when there's a couple of lefties, you know, that's an opportunity as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a good call.
Speaker 1: Diamondbacks did add another lefty to the bullpen today, Philip Abner was recalled from Triple A reno. The d Backs placed Ryan Thompson on the fifteen day iol with a strain lower back. So certainly some shuffling still going around with that group. We have more to get to on this episode. We're going to talk about the Diamondbacks shaking up a lineup a little bit, new leadoff hitter in in this one will dive into that as well as a couple of other final items. So don't go anywhere. We'll be back right after this here on Snake's territory.
Speaker 5: It's the summertime, aj and this is a time to feel free wild, make some phone calls that you're overdue for, and also get some deals that you should be getting that you deserve.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it couldn't be any easier though. It's just one price for unlimited talk, text and data. It's really simple. It is one price for all the data and all the phone calls you could want per month.
Speaker 2: It's simple, that's right.
Speaker 5: All of Mintmobiles plans are fifteen bucks a month with the summer sale, even unlimited. To get your new wireless plan for just fifteen bucks a month, go to mintmobile dot com slash territory. That's mintmobile dot com slash territory to cut your wireless bill to fifteen dollars a month.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 5: There's no catch up front payment of forty five dollars for three months, ninety dollars for six months, or one hundred eighty dollars for twelve months. Plan acquired fifteen bucks per month. Equivalent taxes and fees extra initial plan term only greater than fifty gigabytes may slow when network is busy. Includes up to twenty gigabyte hotspot capable device required, availability, speed and coverage. Farries cemtmobile dot com.
Speaker 1: We are back here on Snak's territory. Shout out to all of you who are here with us.
Speaker 4: In the chat.
Speaker 1: We really appreciate you being here. If you haven't already, it really helps us out if you would hit the like button on this video while you're at it, subscribe to the channel, hit the bell icon for notification so that you never miss an episode of the show. And if you're joining us on Spotify, Apple Podcasts one of those audio only platforms, it also really helps us out if you would leave us a five star review. So thank you to all of you for being here, for doing all those things. We really really appreciate it. Well, Jack, something you've been talking about for much of this season is the Diamondback struggles, not just out of the leadoff spot in the lineup, but just literally the first at bat in the game, whoever is leading off, they're at bat in the first inning, just trying to set the tone for the Diamondbacks offense throughout the game. And you pulled these numbers over from Baseball Reference. These are those numbers. These are for every single game the Diamondbacks have played this season, what has happened with the guy took the very first at bat? And those at bats this season have been taken by four players entering today, Catel Marte, Heraldo Perdomo, Ildemara Vargas and Corbyn Carroll. So that's one hundred and fourteen played appearances altogether, and those guys have hit one ninety one with three homers and a five to ninety seven OPS. It is quite underwhelming, to say the least. And if we flip it over now to the guy who took that at bat in this game, this is Lars Newtbar. His career numbers in that leadoff slot as the first hitter of the game. He is a career two sixty seven hitter with an eight sixteen OPS, seven home runs in that spot, twenty three walks compared to twenty nine strikeouts, and he walked today. He kind of showed the sort of a bat that he's able to draw in those spots. So this is something the dbacs are going to try for a little while here with Newt Bar in the leadoff spot. And I, for one, Jack think it's a pretty good idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I want to emphasize, actually the one number you didn't read off was the OBP the on base percentage, which to me is the most important one.
Speaker 2: So you know, new Bar has.
Speaker 3: A career three sixty two on base percentage. First batter of game, we saw him take a walk tonight, you know, saw a six six pitch walk, and that's exactly what he's capable of doing. If you go back to the other table, that on base percentage was two fifty four. And we know Katel struggled this year. But also I mean, like if you look at Prodomo Vargas and Carol in the tw only six games that they've led off, they've gotten on base a combined five times, that's under two hundred on base percentage. So you know, clearly, for whatever reason, these guys just mostly could tell have struggled in the first half bat of the game. And it does not set the tone for you. And how many times have we seen the d Backs offense, you know, start slowly and then you either have to hope that the bottom of the order brings things back around or they get going the second time through, and then they got to play come from behind baseball, and Dbacks I think have the most or second most come from behind wins in baseball this year. But it doesn't have to be that hard. Downhill baseball is a thing. It's easier to pitch, it's easier to play. You play less tense on defense if you're able to score early. And so you know, if Lars Newbar is able to come in here now as a left handed batter, I expect him to start against right handers.
Speaker 2: Don't know, you know how many.
Speaker 3: Starts he'll get against lefties, And if he does start against the lefty, I don't think it's going to be at the top of the order. But for the seventy percent of games that they start against a right handed pitcher, I expect that new Bar should be at the top of the order and hopefully give us better results because we've just the team has really struggled.
Speaker 2: With this.
Speaker 1: Nootbar so far as a member of the Diamondbacks. It's just the nine played appearances, he's gone one for six, but he's drawn three walks, and it feels like for Neotbar joining this Diamondbacks team, the number that really matters the most is the one you were just talking about. It's on base percentage. The d Bacs just need guys who can get on base against right handed pitching. It's it's been a really big area of struggle throughout the season, and of course a big part of that is that kateell Marte and Corbyn Carroll just have not been their usual selves against right handed pitching. Katel, of course sat this game. Tory decided to give him a day off entirely where he wasn't even in the lineup at DH. You look at Catel's numbers since July fourth, He's hitting one seventy eight with a five thirty five OPS. The Diamondbacks are still sixteen and ten in that span. They've continued to win despite Katel and Corbyn and Carroll struggling quite a bit offensively. But when I just think more broadly about this baseball team, like the way the Diamondbacks get to the playoffs and make a run like, I think it is possible because Corbyn, Carroll and ktel Marte have in recent history been two of the best positioned players in baseball. We just haven't seen that recently, and the Diamondbacks to get where they want to go, they really need those guys to get going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when they talk about bringing back players or making additions after the deadline, those two guys kind of just returning somewhat to form would be like adding new players at the deadline.
Speaker 2: So it's another spind it if you'd like.
Speaker 1: I put out this tweet yesterday just comparing the Big Three, So Corbin and Catel alongside Heraldo Perdomo, their production from twenty twenty five to this season. It's an eight seventy five OPS. Last year, they slash two seventy seven three seventy five oh five seventy nine home runs, about eighteen wins above replacement if you average Baseball Reference and Fangrafts. This season, this was entering yesterday, those three guys have combined for a seven to sixty five OPS with fifty two or I guess these are the on pace numbers, so they would be on pace to hit sixty three home runs in twenty twenty six. It's sixteen shy of a season ago, and they're on pace for about twelve wins above replacement. So you're talking about, you know, roughly six war away from where they were a season ago. It's a really big difference, and I think that's one of the biggest factors for this team down the stretch. I guess on the positive side, Jack Corbyn, Carrol did reach base three times today and drew a nine pitch walk in his first at bat. It felt like a push in the positive direction for him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, stole a base, scored a round, drove in or run. As a Nesto points out in the chat, he also showed a little bit of fire. He spun up and kind of glared out at the mound a little pissed off.
Speaker 2: But then he kind of immediately de escalated the situation.
Speaker 3: So I even, you know, texted a friend and I said, hey, is this going to be the game we point to as the day Corbyn Carrol turned around?
Speaker 2: So hopefully this is it. They were good looking at bats.
Speaker 3: He took some tough pitches, like your Nesto said, pretty good stuff. So you know, just for me, for Corbyn to get on base, steel bases be disruptive, and then once you find your groove, sure the extra base hits will start coming again. But just get on base somehow. Stop swinging it stuff you can't hit. That's it. I mean, with his speed, he can contribute so much just by getting on base and the rest of it will come naturally. You know, he's tremendous hitter, tremendous athlete, but sometimes maybe he tinkers too much.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's fair. We know that.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think that's one of Corbyn's greatest strengths is that his drive to get better is second to none. But yeah, maybe from time to time he kind of overcorrects on something and it takes him a while to backtrack and kind of, you know, get back to a good place offensively. I do want to circle back to Mitch Bratt real quick, Jack, as we wrap things up here. I just think the fact that over the past couple of days there's been so much negative energy about the Diamondbacks not getting a starting pitcher and even people in the organization speaking pretty openly about wishing they had been able to do more. I'm just thinking about what that would be like from Bratt perspective, to kind of be on the receiving end of like, oh, like people were hoping that I would be replaced, and instead I had an opportunity to go out there and kind of show what I could do. And I just think it speaks to maybe some mental toughness. I mean, obviously I have not been able to talk to Brad about this one on one, but I imagine for him those thoughts would be unavoidable of like, oh my gosh, Like you know, people really thought we should have gotten the starting picture and we didn't. And so I'm still in the rotation. And he responded in as good of a way as you could possibly hope for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, actually he was asked about that while you were busy getting all the elements to the show ready. I was inside of my couch listening to the broadcast. So Jesse does a real work around.
Speaker 2: Everybody just goes.
Speaker 3: But the broadcast asked him about that, Mark Grays and Jody Jackson was dressed. He was very you know, humble about it, and he just expressed gratitude to the organization and for putting him in the position where he'd have an opportunity to show what he can do, whether it's a coaching staff, you know, the front office, management, everything, just getting him here and putting him in the.
Speaker 2: Spot to perform.
Speaker 3: And like you said, I mean, he showed that he has some mental toughness and it just went out there and did it. Now, you know, look, almost to a man, if you make it to major League baseball, you're mentally tough. I mean, there's you know, getting to that part of the pyramid of talent in baseball through youth baseball and high school and college and you know, all the way up through the minors and actually getting to the show. It's so difficult to begin with. There isn't almost any of these guys that aren't actually haven't dealt with, you know, a lot of struggles and failure to get here in the first place. So they're tough and they're battle hardened just to get here. But at this level it can be so humbling, so fast. And that's where Brad has stood out is that he doesn't seem phase by it. You know, even with his kind of funky follow through and delivery and all of that, but whatever he's facing out there in the speed of the game, he actually doesn't seem phase by it.
Speaker 2: So that's impressed me the most.
Speaker 1: Diamondbacks with the win tonight, improved to thirty three and twenty three at Chase Field, That's something that I don't know that I'd even realize that they have actually played quite well in games at home this season and they have another big one tomorrow against the San Diego Padres.
Speaker 4: It's not your typical.
Speaker 1: Day get away day game sort of situation. It's another six forty pm start, and then the Diamondbacks welcome in the Dodgers for three games this weekend, followed by the Colorado Rockies early next week. So extended home stand here for the Diamondbacks much deserved after they were on the road for seemingly forever, going to four different four different cities. It's sort of the least that Major League Baseball could do after they went through that. But these games continue to be really important, Jack, I mean, I think there's a pretty good chance that the d Backs Padres series at the very end of the season, the d Backs end the year in San Diego.
Speaker 4: Decent chance.
Speaker 1: Those games are meaningful, and the more wins you can rack up right now leading up to that series, it really could change the equation in a huge ways. As the season is coming to a close.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think you can just take it to the bank.
Speaker 3: It's going to be the fourth straight season that we get down to the final weekend to find out whether or not the Diamondbacks are going to make the playoffs or not. I would take that to the bank. Imagine that four years. It's already been three. This year is likely to be four years in a row where we're going to need to see them get through that final weekend victoriously to secure a spot in the player How about that, folks?
Speaker 4: Is that good? I'm trying trying to figure out.
Speaker 2: That just is what it is. I mean, it's exciting. It keeps you on the hook all year.
Speaker 4: Right, that's true. That's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Diamondbacks even last year after selling it the deadline, they managed to kind of get back in the race and they had all of us interested up until the final days.
Speaker 4: Of the season.
Speaker 1: So yes, another very big game against the San Diego Padres tomorrow, and then, as Jack was talking about earlier, who knows, maybe the n West comes into play and those head to head games against the Dodgers wind up being really important as well. As we wrap things up, I do want to point out this comment from ESPN twenty three to twenty three says, I need one of those Snakes Territory hats, and you can get one over at snakes territoryshop dot com. We have not only the lovely hat that Jack is wearing, but we have coffee mugs, we have t shirts, we have Duffel bags, all of the things that you could imagine. So head on over to Snake's Territoryshop dot com where you can load up on your Snake's Territory merch. And thank you to all of you for being here with us on this episode. We really appreciate your time. You can find us on Twitter. I am at Jesse and Friedman. Jack is at sho Wizard fifty nine and our show is at Snake's Territory. And of course you can find Jack's written work over at Arizona Diamondbacks on SI Jack. Any final thoughts here As we say goodbye.
Speaker 3: I gotta give it up to Wes once again. I gotta give him as I told you so he said, I told you that Brat's deception, late movement, you know.
Speaker 2: Something along those lines. We're a difference makers.
Speaker 4: And so far so good, So far, so good.
Speaker 1: Big day for Mitch Brad, Big day for the Diamondbacks is they take the second game. There are now one two out of three here against San Diego. They go for the series win tomorrow. Thank you again to all of you for being with us on this episode. We really appreciate your time and we'll be back with another edition of Snakes Territory very very soon, HM.