Speaker 1: Welcome to Tech Stuff, a production from iHeartRadio. Hey there, and welcome to tech Stuff. I'm your host, Jonathan Strickland. I'm an executive producer with iHeartRadio. And how the tech are you well, folks. Originally I planned on having all new episodes this week, but I had forgotten that my vacation budded right up to the Fourth of July holiday here in the United States, and as such, we are going to have a couple of reruns. These are going to be my traditional reruns for this holiday, I think, because I think I did this last year too. But hey, if you want a little insight into Jonathan's Fourth of July celebrations, every Fourth of July, I sit down and I watched the musical seventeen seventy six. This is a heavily fictionalized telling of the drafting and then signing of the Declaration of Independence. It turns out in history there were way more musical numbers, because in seventeen seventy six they kind of they kind of stop for about two thirds of the movie, Like there's some of the beginning, there's a lot of the beginning, and then there's a little bit at the end and there's not a whole lot in the middle. It turns out that in actual history they sang and danced the whole time. But in order to celebrate that, we're going to listen to a classic episode tech Stuff Lights Some Fireworks. This is a part one of a two parter and this was when Lauren Vogelbaum, who hosts Brain Stuff and Other Stuff, she was a co host on the show. So I hope you enjoy this classic episode from July twenty third, twenty fourteen, tech Stuff Lights Some Fireworks. I'll talk to you again in just a minute. There's a lot of science there is.
Speaker 2: There's much, many much sciences.
Speaker 1: In fact, we say more science than tech when you get down to it.
Speaker 2: However, it's a technology of chemistry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is applied chemistry.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And there is UH. And we have demonstrated on the show previously that we like fire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we did a full episode. Oh by the way, sorry we didn't talk about compression fire starters. I had it in my notes, did not fill it out, and then we were taken to task for it rightfully, So I would say, but we're gonna we're gonna be very thorough. As it turns out, with fireworks, because while I was thinking about it, you know, just covering the basics, the more I got into the chemistry, the more exciting it was, the more interesting it was, and the more I was like, well, I'm in for a penny, in for a pound if the government's going to see how I'm looking about, you know, how to make gunpowder and as we'll go all in, so we're going to talk all about it.
Speaker 2: Definitely one of those that were like, Okay, what interesting watch lists are we on this?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Week, at least three or four more.
Speaker 1: So we should probably define what a firework is for just just the purposes of framing the discussion, right, Ah.
Speaker 2: Sure, Well you know, at its base, I suppose it's something that explodes for fun.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's pretty much it. Firework is something that is explosive or combustible, and it's meant for display purposes, to create an impressive light display.
Speaker 3: Or noise noise exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 1: You could get a firecracker, which is really meant to make a lot of noise, or you you might get a Roman candle, which doesn't make a lot of noise but is very impressive light show. And of course then there's all the stuff that also falls into the fireworks category.
Speaker 3: Including things like Sparkler's that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: We're mostly gonna be focusing on your traditional fireworks, the stuff that you would go and look up into the sky and see that.
Speaker 2: Stark displays that are launched from something into the air.
Speaker 1: Exactly, so big botty boom. Your common basic ingredients and fireworks are well, it's black powder, also known as gunpowder.
Speaker 3: You know, pretty pretty simple.
Speaker 2: Relatively simple. It's traditionally made from sulfur, charcoal, and potassium nitrate, which back in yie old days was called saltpeter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and back in ye old days, he mostly got it from India, at least if you were in the Western hemisphere, you got it from India. In fact, I read an interesting article published in eighteen sixty one by the New York Times about the various powder mills, which we'll talk about a little bit in the United States, and essentially it was running down how the South didn't have enough powder mills for this Civil War thing to be a big deal. As it turns out, four more years later, they probably felt like that was maybe a little premature.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, that turned out to be less correct.
Speaker 1: I had hoped it was. Certainly, you know, I think it was an optimistic take on what ended up being a very trying time in US history. But we're going to focus on the fireworks. So speaking of history, looking at the history of fireworks, this is stuff of legend, as it turns out.
Speaker 2: Oh, certainly, because I mean, I guess that's what neither of us were around two to three thousand years ago to observe, and we don't have a real way back machine. Yeah, I'm really sorry, guys, we've been lying to you. It's just a special effect.
Speaker 1: It's a really special effect. It is.
Speaker 2: It is very special.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, if someone has not actually documented it in a way that is verifiable, we cannot in fact go back and say exactly what happened. But we can tell you what the legends are.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's a legend that over two thousand years ago in China, a chef, a chef, yeah, was mixing together some charcoal, some sulfur, and some saltpeter.
Speaker 1: And those were all ingredients that were found in field kitchens. Okay, so yeah, apparently just accidentally happened to measure these in the or mix these in the right amounts. Because it's not like you have equal parts of each ingredient. It's actually more precise than that. We aren't going to talk about that because I don't want you guys making gunpowder. Yeah, so don't try that at home.
Speaker 2: But this chef happened upon this recipe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, uh, discovered that if you compress it, like if you put it into a container of some sort, and then if it were to I don't know, come into contact with any kind of flame, it blows up. I don't know if that chef survived this discovery, because I don't even know if the chefs existed, So it's all up in the air really literally possibly depending upon where the gunpowder was. Now, if you look up the history of fireworks online, like if you were to actually go and put into your favorite search engine history of fireworks, you're going to find a particular story told repeatedly throughout numerous links, most of which go to like fireworks manufacturers.
Speaker 2: And as like many other research topics on the internet. They all tell basically the same story and basically the same wording.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they without without.
Speaker 2: Any particular reference to anything real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no citation, right, Yeah, So what the legend is is that there was a monk in China named Li Chian who lived around quote a thousand years ago. That is always the way it's put, by the.
Speaker 2: Way, around a thousand years ago.
Speaker 1: It's never given a date. It just says around a thousand years ago. And so depending upon when this was written, you know, and anyway, so much so many different sources use the exact wording. I expect they all took their information from either the same source or they're just borrowing it from each other. It's just this big circle of people borrowing.
Speaker 3: The same stuff.
Speaker 1: But the best scholarly source I could find simply said that the first firecracker was made sometime around eleventh century Common era in China, so eleventh century a d if you prefer, in China. And this was the time when Chinese alchemists were searching for something called the elixir of life. And along the way, while trying to find this elixir of life, they mixed a bunch of different kinds of stuff together and found lots of interesting things, not the elexir life.
Speaker 3: But as it turns out, they found out about gunpowder.
Speaker 2: Just kind of like a serve death. When you think about it.
Speaker 1: It can be certainly with the incorrect application. So the first firecracker was probably a parchment tube loosely filled with this mixture of saltpeter, sulfur, and willow charcoal. Willow charcoal, by the way, one of the more popular forms. As it turns out, you want to use softer woods to create the charcoal because the harder woods tend to create.
Speaker 3: Too much ash.
Speaker 1: I learned that while I was doing all this research. Now, once these things were invented, they started to spread throughout the world gradually, usually through trade. Sometime between twelve thirty five and twelve ninety A. D. Roger Bacon began to experiment with an early form of black powder. This was again stuff that had probably been brought to the Western world through trade rates. Yeah, mostly through Arabic traders. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Most likely the story.
Speaker 1: Goes that Marco Polo brought some over, but it's much more likely that it was Arabic traders well before Marco Polo's journeys.
Speaker 2: But at anyway, Bacon's work would lead to the development of what we know as gunpowder today.
Speaker 1: Yes, he would sort of refine this mixture, finding the right proportions of mixing these ingredients together. To get something that would work very well if you wanted to, you know, launch something at somebody, like say a cannon ball.
Speaker 2: Sure, because if you mix all of these things together you get a good bright flash, and if you compress them beforehand, you get a big boom as well.
Speaker 3: Yep, yep.
Speaker 1: Otherwise, like if you've ever seen those videos or films of people taking the old timey photographs with the flash powder, where it just it just lights up, and that was how they created a flash since they didn't have the capacitors to make a flashing light bulb. That's what gunpowder does. If it's just out in the open. You've probably seen this. It's you know, it's also really popular in like cartoons and stuff. You see the long trail of gunpowder and exactly so that really is how it just burns really really quickly. Now, the gunpowder industry and fireworks industry are very closely linked together. Improvements in developing gunpowder and the methodology for producing it were ported over to work in fireworks as well, and early fireworks displays were developed in China and India for religious festivals. There aren't really written accounts of how these fireworks spread throughout the world. But again we think that Arabic traders probably brought this stuff over into Europe and the Europeans said, Wow, that's amazing.
Speaker 2: That's awesome, let's blow stuff up here too.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And in fact, for a long time they were importing this stuff from the East, and in fact would even hire experts from the East to come and do the displays in Europe. It would only be in the late Middle Ages early Renaissance when you'd start seeing Europeans try and take on this responsibility themselves. Now, by the Italian Renaissance, fireworks creators began to experiment with adding extra ingredients to mixtures to produce different colors of light, so for example, adding copper to create blue light. We'll talk more about adding color to fireworks a bit later.
Speaker 3: So the thing is, if you want to learn.
Speaker 1: More about what the displays back in the Middle Ages were like, there are only a few accounts. A lot of the though come from England, because it turns out the English were bananas over this stuff. The Italians and Germans were working really hard on improving fireworks technology, and the English were enjoying the heck out of it. Lauren and I will be back to talk about some fireworks in just a moment. So one of the accounts says that during the wedding of Henry the Seventh also known as Henry Tudor and Elizabeth of York in fourteen eighty six, there were fireworks displays. Others talk more about Elizabeth's coronation, so there's a little bit of a argument there. Same is true for Henry the eighth wedding and Bolin, which was a wife number two. I think I think she had a good head on her shoulders, not for long.
Speaker 3: Spoiler alert.
Speaker 1: James Anthony Froud wrote that there were quote wild men casting fire and making a hideous noise end quote, which I think is a fantastic description of fireworks. Yeah. When I was a kid, I hated them because I didn't like loud noise, and even just seeing the fireworks burst in the sky made my anxiety levels go up because I knew a loud noise was coming right right.
Speaker 2: I remember having one year where I was really upset by them, like I loved them and then suddenly was like that's loud and I'm against it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I've come back around now, but for a long time I was. I was certainly the person who's like, I don't want to be here when the fireworks.
Speaker 2: Start agrees with you.
Speaker 1: For the record, Yeah, yeah, most dogs I've encountered shared my feeling. I think I finally evolved beyond dog stage.
Speaker 2: So Henry the Eighth and Ann Berlin had a daughter.
Speaker 1: Elizabeth, Yeah, somewhat famous. Yes, became Queen of England and sat on her thorn for many years. Thrown thrown, Sorry, I was just misreading my notes. But no, Elizabeth obviously one of the most influential monarchies of all time. Really, yes, yes, and she loved the sparkles. She did.
Speaker 2: She created a position for it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fire Master of England. It would be.
Speaker 1: I think it was after in the ruling of James the First when that position came along with a knighthood. At any rate, you had people who suddenly really wanted to pursue the craft and become the best at it in order to land this cushy job of being the fire Master of England, because you would imagine that comes with some sweet you know, bonuses like money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so a lot of people were trying new and different things to kind of impress the Queen that juncture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, according to some accounts, one of the things you might expect to see at a truly outrage display would be a dragon with paper machede scales that was loaded up with fireworks so that it would breathe fire.
Speaker 3: It would appear to be.
Speaker 1: Breathing fire, and sometimes they would have more than one, and then you would have dragon fights, yes, and then maybe one of the women's up catching on fire and the other one is slightly less on fire, and so that's the one that wins. But they would battle one another. And so you read about this kind of stuff and you're like, wow, these had to be pretty spectacular. And then you also think, remember, they had no automated way of doing this. There was probably some poor jerk who had a match stick or some form of torch or something that was lighting this stuff manually and then trying to get the heck away from it before he burnt up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or possibly a couple guys on the ground like with sticks holding these things up. I'm a little bit terrified about the entire concept, but yeah, no, they were very impressive. Shakespeare wrote about them in some of his plays, right.
Speaker 1: Yep, Romeo and Juliet. There is a quote that says, these violent delights have violent ends, and in their triumph die like fire and powder, which as they kiss consume. Now, in that case, of course, he's referring to the lovers Romeo and Juliet and the passion they have for one another, and he's likening it to a fireworks display, which you know, has been a pretty powerful image that has been repeated ad nauseum ever since. The whole thing where the two lovers kiss and then you see the fireworks going off in the background very much. It's interesting that it seems to have originated with Shakespeare, as many so many things have. Also, fireworks were deemed to be an illegal possession for regular citizens right around sixteen oh five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's about when a certain persona yeah, now publicly known because of a certain movie and comic book series. Yes, guy Fox got into some trouble with the gunpowder plot.
Speaker 1: Yes, he was part of a conspiracy to blow up the Houses of Parliament by store something like thirty something casks of gunpowder underneath. They were going to tunnel underneath the Houses.
Speaker 2: Of Parliament, will barro all that stuff in there.
Speaker 3: And then light it and blow it up.
Speaker 1: And the conspirators were caught before they could execute their plan, and Guy Fox himself, who was not necessarily the ringleader, he was one of the members, was really made an example of in some of the most horrifying ways you can imagine. Now, granted he was playing on committing a terrible act, yes, but they did a really terrible act him and drawn quartered And of course they had Guy Fox Day for you know, the early Guy Fox days involved lots of burning of Guy Fox and effigy. And then there's a whole story there that's amazing, but stuff you missed in history class would really be the best place to cover that. And yeah, sure they have Actually.
Speaker 2: I think I feel like it's likely. Yeah, these these days we have the charming anonymous masks.
Speaker 3: Yes, based off off Guy Fox exactly.
Speaker 1: So at that point it was made illegal for the common citizen to possess fire wars. It's the only people who are allowed were specifically given that responsibility by the crown. So that's kind of the early early history. But let's talk about what's actually going on inside of firework is what is making it work?
Speaker 2: Well, this is mostly chemistry, but let's let's talk about black powder, since that is the basic what is going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we talked about sulfur, charcoal, and saltpeter or potassium nitrate. You might wonder what are these things actually doing within gunpowder. So sulfur and charcoal are acting as fuel, right, and the potassium nitrate is acting as an oxidizer. So oxidizers in this sense are the chemicals that fuel requires no order to burn. If you remember the great triangle of what is required to make fire, you have to have fuel, you have to have oxygen, and you have to have heat. Those are the three things that together will allow you to have fire. And if you're lacking any of those, you're not going to get it. If you have just oxygen and fuel but not heat, it's not gonna happen. Same thing with just oxygen and fire. You've got to have some fuel there.
Speaker 2: So oxidizers are chemicals that are really good at getting oxygen into the mix.
Speaker 1: Yes, and in fact, potassium nitrate is inredibly good at this. So let's look at these ingredients each on their own. If you look at just charcoal, which is essentially carbon and you want to try and burn it. If you were to light a match and just hold it to charcoal, it doesn't really ignite very well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it kind of smolders, yeah, and smokes.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And if you get it hot enough, like it will start to burn, certainly, it'll.
Speaker 1: Start to glow glow, doesn't. You don't get a lot of flame out of it.
Speaker 2: You've probably done this at home, perhaps on a charcoal grill, or when you have burned a log down to the coals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've got those those coals, or that's charcoal that's just glowing because of the heat that's coming through. We'll talk about the actual mechanism of glowing a little bit later too. So again, you don't get a lot of ignition, not in a lot of flame. It's certainly not explosive ignition.
Speaker 2: Yet, unless you've done something very strange.
Speaker 1: Right, unless your charcoal has got some other funky ingredients in it.
Speaker 2: Or I guess you've compressed it a lot.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would be incredible eventually you would get a diamond. So, but sulfur it burns at a lower temperature than charcoal does that carbon does. It ignites more easily, but not really at room temperature. So if you had a little crucible, let's say, a little ceramic crucible filled with some sulfur and you put a match to it, it wouldn't really light up. But again, if you were to heat it, it'll start to melt and then it will burn if exposed to even higher temperatures, and that gives off sulfur dioxide, which, by the way, not good to breathe in. No, it can irritate your lungs.
Speaker 2: One of the many reasons why you shouldn't melt sulfur at home.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these things like charcoal that's fairly, fairly benign as things go, sulfur a little bit less.
Speaker 2: So, potassium nitrate less so than either of the other two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is what increases that rate of combustion significantly when it's added to a mixture of carbon and sulfur, again in the correct amounts, so when it's mixed properly, that combination will ignite and burn really really quickly.
Speaker 2: And it is the of course, the traditional oxidizer in this combination of stuff that goes into black powder, but lots of other things can be used, for example, potassium chlorate, potassium perchlorate, or barium nitrate, and as of twenty eleven, organizations from like Walt Disney Company to the US Department of Defense have started looking at green alternatives to all of these oxidizers. And I say green, and you go, like you're making stuff explode? How green does it need to be?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: But the thing is is that okay? So it turns out the dangerous chemicals can present health and environmental hazards, and potassium nitrate specifically is a really common ingredient in herbicides. Passium chlorate is a harsh ingredient in disinfectants. Potassium perchlorate can disrupt the production of hormones and the thyroid and harm unborn babies, and barium nitrate can interfere with heart and breathing functions. So none of that is good fun times. And so a lot of research has been put in recent years into trying to figure out better ways of burning stuff. Yeah, yeah, that isn't releasing these chemicals into the environment and showering them over crowds of fawning onlookers or you know, into your water supply or etcetera.
Speaker 1: For example, potassium chlorate is a great example. Potassium chlorate is this stuff a great example of a bad ingredient as opposed to one that's green.
Speaker 3: Poassium chlorate ends.
Speaker 1: Up creating a more explosive burn than say, potassium nitrate.
Speaker 4: Dots.
Speaker 1: Poassium nitrates already pretty impressive. But if you ever watch someone create potassium chlorate a mixture of sulfur, charcoal and potassium chlorate in the right amounts and then light it, it lights. It burns even faster than the regular black powder mixture, and so it's often used in something called a burst charge, which we'll talk about later. Okay, But like you said, it leaves some pretty nasty stuff behind chlorate. If you look at that word chlorate, you realize that chlorine is one of those things that's involved in this, and that's one of the byproducts is you get this chlorine released as one of the remnants after the chemical reaction that happens when you ignite this stuff. Chlorine is not good stuff. Folks don't want just pure chlorine all over the place. It's it's toxic. So you know, that's one of those things where a lot more research needs to be done in order to make this stuff really safe.
Speaker 2: Right now, two things, sodium parietate and potassium parietate are starting to move into use as substitutes more clean substitutes for the traditional one.
Speaker 1: Because the trick is that you have to find something that's going to facilitate this rapid burning. If you don't have that, then obviously you can't do the fireworks, at least not the way where accustomed to. Yeah, so well, you know, hope that that kind of stuff gets further distributed throughout the entire industry so that we have a less you know, negative impact on the environment and potentially on the viewers of fireworks displays. Are just the people who happen to live around those areas.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, this this also goes into I mean, the Department of Defense wasn't involved in that because of the fireworks displays necessarily, so much as this is useful also for anything else that you're using gunpowder for, right, for the Department of Defense as many things, and you know, trying to protect the lives of our munitions workers and also our soldiers and troops and everyone else.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, we got a little bit more to say about fireworks and then yeah, I'll wrap things up.
Speaker 3: So how is it made?
Speaker 1: Don't try this at home, yes, do not. This is one of those things that if you are if you're part of a lab and the lab has the facilities to do it, and you can make it in small amounts. It's a very interesting process. But this is not something for you to ever try on your own because if you got the mixture either just right or just wrong, bad things can happen. Yes, but generally speaking, here's what the process is, and I'm not again going to explain the specific amounts. First, you would have to reduce each ingredient to fine grains of powder, and you would want to do this separately, yes, right, you don't mix them together first. So you get your charcoal and you mash it up. So you got charcoal powder, You get your sulfur. You make sure you pound out any clumps so that you just get a fine powder. Same thing with your saltpeter. You want to make sure all of that stuff is as fine as you possibly can make it. Then you mix those ingredients together with a little water or some other liquid. For example, and I'm not making this up, one of the liquids I saw was stale urine. Stale urine stale urine specifically stale Yes, I am not joking, because it allows for a more consistent burn.
Speaker 3: All right, I sh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, So anyway, you mix it in with this liquid to help these different ingredients bind together. Usually you have some sort of binding agent, want some something that's going to help them stick together in the right in the right amounts. Saltpeter, as it turns out, is really soluble and it'll fill in all those nice little spaces, and charcoal pretty easily. Charcoal has a lot of surface area, so it's it's a good mix. Then you let the mixture drys becomes kind of like a cake like mass.
Speaker 3: It's solidified, like a hard biscuit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like a red velvet cake.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, it's it's much more dense, also much more likely to explode than your traditional red velvet.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: You then crush this dry mass with something that will totally not cause sparks.
Speaker 3: Please. Yeah.
Speaker 1: You don't use any nothing that's gonna potentially create a spark. So it's ceramic or non sparking metals or something along those lines of stone, just regular stone, not like flint steel, because that'd be a terrible idea to turn it into a powder. This is one of the reasons why it's challenging to make this stuff in huge amounts, particularly for someone who doesn't have like a powder mill at their disposal. The accounts I read were especially for people who are like military recreationists.
Speaker 3: People who create.
Speaker 1: They recreate like the famous battles, and they want to have black powder muskets. They're not firing musket balls, but they want to be able to have that big, loud bang of smoke they talk about. Making us say, it's a little hard if you want to make more than say, ten pounds of the stuff at a time, like you know, keeping in mind that ten pounds of gunpowder, especially if it's in a compact container, could be incredibly dangerous.
Speaker 2: I just had a very mild panic attack thinking about any of the people that I personally know who dress up in costumes and run around the woods firing fake guns at each other, having ten pounds of gun powder at your disposal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it certainly is one of those things where you do need to know the best practices to safely handle this stuff because it really is incredibly dangerous. But at that point in this process, you're done. You've got your gun powder.
Speaker 2: If you do want to make large quantities, how did those powder mills work that you were mentioning earlier.
Speaker 3: So yeah, usually you would have some sort of.
Speaker 1: Bowl like surface, and then you'd have a grinding wheel that would be powered either by horsepower, manpower, or water wheel, that kind of thing. So it's a mill, you know, the kind of mill that you would see for any other sort of thing, grinding grain, for example. And what you would do is you you would mix all these ingredients together and then you would put that in the mill for it to grind up into the proper fine powder that you would need to use as black powder. Again, you would have to make sure that all the equipment you had was not likely to cause a spark right.
Speaker 2: Wood or stone or something very.
Speaker 1: Uh, non spark making. Yeah, it's hard, non spark worthy. It's kind of hard to put it into words properly.
Speaker 2: It is incombustible, Yes, that's good.
Speaker 1: One other interesting feature that a lot of these powder mills had was that at least one wall, sometimes more than one, was specifically built weaker than the other walls. The other walls would support more of the structure's weight.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, so that if everything in the factory exploded, it would be easier for people to.
Speaker 1: Get out well or easier for firefighters to get in. Yeah, because I mean, if you are caught inside that building when there's an explosion, there's probably parts of you got out. Yeah, it's it was meant so that it could open up an easy pathway for any reactionary measures measures, right, whether that's putting out fires or you know, dealing with the aftermath. I mean, you didn't necessarily have people inside these things all the time while they were grinding away anyway.
Speaker 3: But it was meant as this.
Speaker 1: Like, let's say, if you have it as a water wheel, you know, it means you're near a source of water, running water, you might have the wall that is closest to the running water blowout, so that way, if there is a fire, you can you've got the water right there there, so you can start a bucket brigade type thing.
Speaker 2: No, that's I kind of had a face palm moment thinking about that one, But now that you mention it, really that's I sort of want all my buildings to be structurally weaker. On one side. I mean, if nothing else that I could just cool aid Man right out of anything.
Speaker 3: That would be fair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are so many times where I just think that I need to have the Jonathan shaped dust cloud and then the wall, the Jonathan shaped hole in the wall where I've made my escape.
Speaker 2: So these days we don't have so many water wheels kicking around in large factory facilities.
Speaker 1: We do have some machine versions that will do the crushing, but again, it's really tricky because you have to make sure that that machinery is not going to have any kind of sparking element to it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: So in other words, the motors can't be sparking, not just the rollers or whatever. So you have to make sure that the materials you're using the surface and the rollers that are doing the crushing are not going to create any sparks.
Speaker 2: And furthermore, that they're going to be cool enough to not risk igniting it.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: So it's one of those things that really took a lot of effort to get it right so that it could be created safely, or at least as safely as possible.
Speaker 3: Accidents still happen.
Speaker 1: I mean, you've probably heard of accidents, whether they were in facilities that were processing black powder or a fireworks warehouse.
Speaker 3: These things do happen.
Speaker 1: So it really drives home the fact that you've got to treat it with respect.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, sure. Okay, So once you've got your black powder, how do you assemble the fireworks themselves?
Speaker 1: Okay, so basically, and we'll talk more about this in are part two about fireworks, But basically what you need to do is do it by hand because automated versions again tend to have equipment that could create a spark, and so most fireworks are handmade, hand packed. So if you were to take a typical firework, like a big one one that's used in a professional display, these things tend to weigh several pounds, They can be in lots of different shapes. It all depends upon the effect you want. We'll talk about that in the next episode two. But if you were to cut it in half, you would see that you would have a core of this black powder, whether it was made with potassium nitrate or potasium chlorate or some other oxidizer involved, but the black powder would be at the core, and you would have these other little elements inside the firework that are meant to be projected outward after the core explodes, all right.
Speaker 2: Probably suspended in clay or something stable like.
Speaker 1: That, right, right, And then you would also have another at the base of your projectile. If you have, in fact a two stage firework. We'll talk about the different options in the next steppisode.
Speaker 3: But at the base of.
Speaker 1: Your firework you would also have a lift charge which would be ignited from.
Speaker 2: The first right, another little gunpowder puck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you would have that at the base of it, and that's what would provide it the energy to lift out of the mortar. The basically the tube you have to fire it off into the sky, So it's really a two chamber at least a minimum of two chamber approaches if you're using the traditional method of launching.
Speaker 4: Okay, that was the classic episode text Stuff Lights Some Fireworks, originally published July twenty third, two thousand and fourteen. Hope you enjoyed it, and tomorrow we will have part two, and then after that it should be back to business as usual. I don't anticipate anything else interrupting the normal production of tech stuff for a while. I think my next vacation isn't until December maybe, so I think we should be good.
Speaker 1: But you know these things, you can never really predict how one week is going to go based upon the previous week. Hope you are all well. I hope you had a great time. While I was vacating, I went to a bigfoot museum. Wish I could talk about that, but it's not really tech stuff. But anyway, I'll talk to you again really soon. Tech Stuff is an iHeartRadio production. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.