Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 2: All right, break it down.
Speaker 3: If you ever have feelings that you just won't Amy and Cat got your cove and locking m brother, ladies and felons, do you just follow an the spirit where it's all the front over real stuff to the chill stuff and the m But Twayne, sometimes the best thing you can do it just stop you feel things. This is feeling.
Speaker 4: Things with Amy and Cat. Happy Tuesday. Welcome to feeling things. I'm Amy and.
Speaker 1: I'm Cat, and I'm coming in hot with my feeling of the day because I'm feeling it at a level.
Speaker 4: Eight oh eight out of ten. Mm, okay, I'm at nine. I'm not you're just trying to I'm not trying to one of you, I promise. I just really I'm feeling I'm feeling.
Speaker 1: It, okay, in it Okay, Well I'm feeling merry and joyful. Same me too, the same feelings, the same It's like I gave you these feelings.
Speaker 4: I also have a little bit of anxiety, but not about this topic at all. It's totally totally separate. But it was like old feelings that came up. But we can get to that later because I don't want to kill the Mary and joyful vibe because I'm with you. I watched my first Christmas movie of the season.
Speaker 1: What was it?
Speaker 4: It was on Netflix. It was the old one. It's not even new. So it was called The Count the Christmas Contract?
Speaker 1: Wait, what was that one about?
Speaker 4: A contract with She took a boy to her hometown because her ex boyfriend was bringing a girl and she didn't want to show up alone, so she took her best friend's brother and they had a contract to do it.
Speaker 1: Did they fall in love?
Speaker 4: You have to watch to find out.
Speaker 1: I think I've seen that, but you know, they all run together. It would be really funny if you were like I watched Shoot, what's the one? You were?
Speaker 4: Old? Holiday?
Speaker 1: I watched Holiday Harmony. I was like, oh, you watch.
Speaker 4: Your Christmas No, but I did wonder should my boyfriend see that scene? I don't know. I want him to watch the whole movie because I think the whole movie is cute and adorable and awesome. And he does love Christmas movies because he started watching him with his daughter. I think she really enjoyed them. She liked watching with their mom, and then when their mom died, it's like he's like, well, I guess I have to step in now as the Hallmark Christmas movie Lover and now it's something they love to do, which we all watched it last night, the Christmas Contract. We watched it her the brothers watched the Daughter yea, so it was a it was a family affair and it was feeling good and like in my kitchen right now, I have my stovetop smelly Christmas stuff.
Speaker 1: We need a better name, stovetop smelly Christmas stuff. So I want to get to that. But can I answer your question that? What was the question should your boyfriend watch?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I already forgot a hundred percent. I feel like the whole family should watch. If Patrick's seen it, then your boyfriend should definitely have seen the movie that you're in. Okay, acting debut, that's the thing to be like, hey guys, so.
Speaker 4: Now this is crazy. It's like the first Christmas we've celebrated together. We're really close. I mean I was with them last Christmas but we were still new. So now that we're like all a lot closer, what do I say, Like if we're all gathered around the TV and they're like, what are we gonna watch tonight? And I'm like, how about the movie I'm in.
Speaker 1: You should just say what about Holliday Harmony? And you say, like what it's about, and then you play it and then it's a surprise.
Speaker 4: Oh, like they don't they don't know that I'm in it, and then my bathroom scene ends up. Okay, well, maybe we'll do that and I'll report back. Cow please please do that.
Speaker 1: If they don't know already, or if they wouldn't, maybe they know if you've been in a Christmas movie. They don't, but they don't know what it's called. Right, that would be so good. And then you should like film his reaction when he sees you on the big screen.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm, okay, I'll report back if I do that. But the the merriness and the joyfulness is alive, and well, because I think we're tis the season?
Speaker 1: Tis the season? Why didn't even.
Speaker 4: Though there's other feelings happening, I just those are dominating. So that's why I'm a nine. It's not just because you're in eight.
Speaker 1: It feels like it. So what's the stovetop smelly stuff?
Speaker 4: Well you know about it because we put it in our newsletter, But thank you for asking, just for podcast listeners. It is something that was in our newsletter that went out last Friday with our merch stuff.
Speaker 1: I wonder who puts the newsletter together.
Speaker 4: You do, which is cute for you to act like you didn't know what it was. But it smells so good. It's like Christmas in a pot.
Speaker 1: I actually made it last year, the year before. I remember I went to the store and got all the stuff and Patrick was like, why don't you just light a candle because it's different the same thing, and it's you're creating a vibe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's cranberries, it's cinnamon sticks, it's cloves, it's a sliced up orange, it's rosemary, it's water in a pot stove, and you you you light it. We had we had all of this in our newsletter. So this is why you need to sign up for the newsletter. Not only do we have little nuggets like this, which is the week before you send out your potato souper recipe, so you just like, never know what you're gonna get. We have things that Cat and I are reading the Sure Things were loving before you put your Q tips.
Speaker 1: Yes, you never know what you're gonna get.
Speaker 4: Well, those Q tips to be fair or clutch or a game changer. Before I found those Q tips, I only bought Q tips where it was round on both sides. Yeah, I did not know people made a Q tip round on one side, pointy on the other. It's good for if you're trying to clean up your nails. It's good if you're trying to clean up makeup around your nose, in your nose, in your eyes, your eyebrows, on your legs.
Speaker 1: Don't in your ear.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the pointy part in your ear is a little rough. But don't sleep on those special Q tips. So I stand by that addition to the newsletter, and I'm saying so you never know what you're gonna get. And then on Friday, in our newsletter, we also had our merch which is so exciting. We'll link everything in the bio. If you are not on our newsletter yet, you can go sign up in the not the bio.
Speaker 1: The it's also in our Instagram bio.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which is Feeling Things podcast. But sign up for our newsletter. But we'll also link to our merch in the show notes and I'll link to or I'll copy and paste the Christmas on the Stove Smelly Stuff recipe stovetop Christmas stovetop simmers, stovetop pop pourri. I just don't like the word. I don't. I don't really like the word potpourri. And ever happens poop, I don't know pop potpourri speak enough?
Speaker 1: Can I tell that story?
Speaker 4: What story for you?
Speaker 1: On the phone?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 1: Amy, just add a phone call on speakerphone so I could hear the person she was talking to. And she answered the phone normal. She said hello, and the lady was like, is the samey? That wasn't her accent, but she had an accent and she said something and then Amy changed her accent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, lady, But I didn't even know I was doing that.
Speaker 1: All of a sudden, we heard you go hello. I don't know why I did that.
Speaker 4: I really don't. I didn't even know why. Y'all were laughing at me. And then I thought, okay, well that tracks like sometimes I just you know, conformed my environment because I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's just like switch all of a sudden. I was like, that was funny.
Speaker 4: I mean, I know it drug out a little bit. I was like, hello, hello, but I mean I didn't do it with other words, right.
Speaker 1: No, Then you went back to normal.
Speaker 4: When I was saying this, that would be awkward. Yeah, I think just right away. I don't know. Is my first time talking about person. I was a little nervous, So I think I'm just just.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, hello, that's how you did it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's the right, missus doubtfire.
Speaker 1: Hello, can I shock you?
Speaker 4: Have you never watched that movie?
Speaker 1: Never seen it? Yeah? You?
Speaker 4: Oh, so many movies you've never seen. It blows my mind, Like have you seen elf y? Oh, don't act like that's a crazy question, because that's like more recent, quintessential Christmas movie, like you have to watch it. And then there's more like low key type Christmas movies like While you were Sleeping That sounds scary. No, it was Sandra Bullock. Oh, never seen and he gets hit by the train and then oh, you need to watch that. You would love it. It was my mom's favorite Christmas movie.
Speaker 1: So okay on our list this year.
Speaker 4: Added to the list with all the other movies were supposed to be watching. I think there was something else we were supposed to watch, and I had two weeks to watch it, and I think the past. Yeah, I'm not watching it. I'm just sorry. I don't want to.
Speaker 1: I mean, I get it. I don't think you I get you know. I don't want to watch it again right now currently where I am in my life. Yes, there is a there's a cat crowd. Cat's asking if there's a live action there was. I love Mulan, probably one of my favorite Disney movies. I don't want to go see the live action.
Speaker 4: Live action doesn't make me want to watch it anymore or less. No, I just thought it not my things. So okay, you're feeling the.
Speaker 1: Joy and the Okay, okay, so the marry, the marry and joyful, the merry joyful. So I feel like I'm telling myself this. So I'll check it out with my actual therapist soon. But I feel like I've still I've been in this stage for a while, which I've talked about where I'm just like there's a lot of things that are not in my control and I'm there's nothing I can do at all. I'm just in like a waiting stage. And it is not just waiting for the thing, but it's also like I can't do a lot of things that I normally would be doing right now.
Speaker 4: I e.
Speaker 1: Go on trips, plan things, fun things like that, And because I can't do that, I can't distract myself. My favorite way to distract myself is planning a trip, even if I'm not going on a trip, even if it's in the future. I can't do that right now. So I have been trying to find little ways to create joy and excitement in my life while this other thing is happening in the background. And so I won what on my stay cation.
Speaker 4: I'm on stay cation.
Speaker 1: A couple of weeks ago, and it was amazing, And I highly recommend doing that, especially if you have lived somewhere for a while and there are so many things that feel normal to you because you live there, but you've just never done them because you live there, you know what I mean. Yeah, And then so I went on a Sacasian and then I decorated for Christmas full decorated for Christmas the day after Halloween, two days after Halloween, November second, and I'm on it man, Yes, and so I feel a lot of marrying from my Christmas, but joyful from like these things. We went to places in this city that I grew up in that I never have done before.
Speaker 4: And I will say some advice like, if people are able, you may just have to do it on a weekend, you may have to work the full work week and then you can do a staycation on the weekend. But you and Patrick, oh, you took time off, like we we even altered our podcast schedule because you're like, hey, I'm really trying to have off as if I was actually on vacation and in another town. It was almost like you were leaving, but you weren't. And then y'all even had your mom like drive you around.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we went to.
Speaker 4: But so but I'm I'm I'm giving people pro tips of like how can you make it feel like save money you're saving but doing more And and you took off work and like you you still got your work done of.
Speaker 1: Work and you called your mom.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I know not everybody has that option, but I'm just make I'm painting a picture that it wasn't like just you know, a Saturday or Sunday, Like y'all really were intentional about it and made it a whole thing, And I think that helped make the experience. Like you got your work done because Patrick also has responsibilities. But since you planned ahead, you're like, oh, let's look at the calendar and let's figure out how can make this work, just in case anybody else has the flexibility to do that. I feel like that helped make the experience.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent because much more. Yeah, we were at home, but we also weren't doing a lot of things with other people, so we were just spending a lot of time together as if we were on vacation. And my mom didn't just drive us, she used like your uber. So we went to Errington Vineyards, which is a vineyard maybe twenty five minutes from our house. I'd only been once ten years ago, and Patrick had never been, and it's close by. Why wouldn't we do that? So on Friday, that's what we did all days. We packed a picnic and then he went on a run with me outside. He has never done that before. And then we packed a picnic and went We ubered there and it was like twenty dollars, maybe fifteen twenty dollars. We looked for ubers and we were getting ready to leave. Just guess how much an uber was at that time.
Speaker 4: It was like four sixty bucks.
Speaker 1: Eighty dollars.
Speaker 4: Oh, oh my god, I mean I was guessing high on the sixty just because you eighty dollars acted like it was gonna be a lot.
Speaker 1: So I texted my mom when I was like, hey, Mom, what are you doing? So she was yeah, she was well she lives right there too. I guess you live over there too, and she picked us up. It was five stars best Uber ride. She showed up with. She had made mummy dogs, which are hot dogs wrapped in soured dough bread. She made them for my nephew and she was bringing them to him, so she brought us to It was literally like we were in on vacation. We get into her car our Uber and she's like, I brought you guys, waters and I have two mummy dogs for you. She even packaged up individual mustard and ketchup packets rush, so we had a snack on the way home. So free Uber with snacks from my mother. Thank you, Jody.
Speaker 4: I mean that would make me marry and joyful.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then also I will say, ever since we've gotten the Mercha gear a vibe, I know you have this whole experience, so you're like, you know, got this energy about you. But even living in our sweat set for four days, so it's a hoodie and sweatpants and cats living in it, and I feel like your energy around it is so good.
Speaker 1: Upset. As soon as I picked it up, I texted you, I will say, if you're looking for something, I love a comfy anything, and I've been looking for a lot more comfy sets and I've been ordering them from different places. Half of them I have sent back. I've not taken this off for I took it off to wash, I will say that. And it still fits perfecto after I washed it.
Speaker 4: And it's a matching hoodie with sweatpants, and it has like a feeling things like circle on the hoodie and then it also has it on the pants too, which people can go look. They might be if you're watching on YouTube, you can see it, but if you're listening on the podcast, then go check it out. But I feel like a sweat set has made you happy. Your staycation has made you happy. And then I think, I think the excitement of what you have that you're talking you have going on in the background, Like Kat and I both have things happening in our life that we're not talking about really publicly. But I think your situation is rounding a corner where it's kind of getting exciting.
Speaker 1: We're getting good news and we're getting closer versus we're just like we don't know what's going to happen kind of thing.
Speaker 4: Whereas my situation is bringing up like good it's a good reminder of how two things can be true at the same time, because I do feel this excitement and marry and joy towards this season. I love this time of year and I want to go all in on that, especially since I have my kids and then I have now this other family that I get to celebrate with. But side by side with that, I have this other thing going on that is a lot, but it's not as overwhelming, I think, as it would be if I hadn't experienced something similar before. So it's sort of great because it's not my first rodeo. You know. However, today literally I had to do something with regarding like finances and logging into stuff and I didn't want to do it, and I felt this like uneasiness in my stomach. And I used to get this thing in my throat with my finances, like anytime I had to address it or look at a spreadsheet or numbers or anything, and I felt some of that stuff come up again, and I was like, oh, I thought I dealt with this, like we had graduated and I now know how to log into stuff and I don't get queasy about it. And I had to go log in, and it really was to check something. Normally I maybe would be excited about it, but all those old feelings came back. But I just had to power through and I didn't let it overwhelm me or stop me. Well, I didn't really have a choice, but I think back in the day, I would have found a way to escape it or delegate it or figure out. But I was like, nope, just log in, get the information, figure it out, and move on. And so to anybody else, if like something comes up that you haven't felt in a couple of years and you think, well, shoot, I've done all this work and I was feeling empowered and I've even talked about how much more confident I feel about it and how I don't get that lump in my throat anymore. And then it comes back. So then you feel like, oh, does this mean I'm going backwards? And I guess maybe it could depending on your situation. Like it makes me think of eating disorders and even you know, alcoholics and if they're in recovery or whatnot. And you said something about recovery when we were talking about eating disorders, and you were like, that's why they call it recovery. You said something about recovery when we were talking about eating disorders, and you were like, that's why they call it recovery.
Speaker 1: That about recovered.
Speaker 4: You're never recovered. It's always there. And so looking at my financial situation kind of like how I look at eating disorder recovery, I was like, oh, that makes sense, Like there is some sort of thing that's in me and it may pop up next year, it may pop up next month, it might go away and pop up in five years, like it may be something that is always within me. But it was also cool to see that I just take the next move into the do the next thing and the next thing, and then while it was done and the pain was minimal, whereas I if I had I don't know, the word that's coming to mind is to come like if I had given it to the all the anxiety that was coming up, then I could have prolonged that whole process and it would have made it more dreadful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I think that that's growth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, even though it felt like backwards it's like right, it was like backwards, but growth.
Speaker 1: This is good that you're saying this because a lot of people this happens all the time. Where I thought I got over this, I thought I worked through this, I thought this was an issue for me anymore, and life happens, and like you said, that's always a part of me. It's why people say I'm in recovery or I'm recovering, versus I am recovered. You won't really hear somebody say I'm a recovered addict or I'm a recovered whatever I'm in recovery from or in. What you demonstrated is I still had these feelings and I'm still a human that is affected by things and can feel things. And now I have better tools and I know more and I'm better equipped to deal with them. So even like me, I'll have days I've talked to you about them all days where my body image is like killing me, feels like and what do I always.
Speaker 4: Say, Oh, I have my coping skills.
Speaker 1: I have to use my skills today. I'm using my skills. I'm using my skills because I still am I'm a female living in this world where stress and things affect me but I know how to deal with those things better. Sometimes I need to extra help, I know how to ask for that help now, or I know what to do when I'm in that place. And it sounds like you had an experience where this came up again, and instead of shutting my computer and going to and going and ask somebody else to do this for me, I worked through this, even though it was hard. You working through something and processing something doesn't mean feelings go away. It means you learn how to cope with those feelings better.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Nor does it mean that I've lost any progress that I made. I do see how those thoughts could enter though, and someone may feel that way. But I just want to send encouragement to anybody else. Because we had a question recently on the Bobby Bone Show. I do a Best Bits or Morgan does the Best Bits every weekend and she rotates people on the show, and a couple of weeks ago was my week and a question that came in was about a disorder and someone said, or you ever fully recovered? And I wish I would have had what you said about Well, that's why it's called I'm in recovery. I'm not recovered well I answer it in that way. I just didn't have that language, and I was like, oh, yeah, that's such an easy way to put it. Like it's sort of similar to grief, like it's it's always there, you always carry it, but the load doesn't feel as heavy. Like we've used the backpack example before, like if grief is in a backpack and you're carrying it around, like some days that backpack may feel really heavy, and other days you're like, Okay, the backpack is still here, but.
Speaker 1: I can live my life with the backpack.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm walking around fine, I'm walking around with ease, like it will always be like there's not a day that goes by that I mean, honestly, there's days go by that I don't think of my mom and my dad. That can't be true. I'm sure there's days where like they don't cross my mind. I'm just saying there's days. If they do cross my mind, I always miss them. But of all the days, is that weird to say? I feel like you gave me a weird look, like you don't think of your mom and dad every day?
Speaker 1: I think you do. You don't realize that, Okay, I think you like even looking in your backyard. You see the the chair or the birds singing of yours, my rocking chair.
Speaker 4: My mom's rocking chair. Oh, I sold that on Facebook Marketplace the day.
Speaker 1: Don't do that. We sold it update.
Speaker 4: I know we discussed me doing it, and I thought that ultimately we decided on here that I was gonna sell.
Speaker 1: I thought we were going to refurbish it. But like, great, I'm glad you sold it. Great, great, great, great, good for you. That's the right thing to do.
Speaker 4: Hello, Hello, I thought.
Speaker 1: I think you probably think of your parents more than you realize. It's just integrated into you.
Speaker 5: You.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like I have my mom's I don't have it on right now, but like I normally I don't have on my pinky ring for my mom right now because it's a little teeny tiny diamond sell out and I'm getting it fixed, so it's the only reason. But I always have that on. So you're right, like I probably look at that every day and think of her, but I just don't.
Speaker 1: The grief feels different. It's more integrated. Yeah, so you see that, and the feeling is still there, but it's a different kind of feeling.
Speaker 4: Like my mom, what are we like almost mid November. Now, so my mom her what do you call it death anniversary, death of versary, her heaven birthday? What is it called? Her day she got her wings? That sounds like a country, but I feel like people call her Yeah, her birthday is coming up in December. I don't know how I feel about it, like come December, but her death of day.
Speaker 1: What do people call that? Avirtue of her death?
Speaker 4: I know, I feel like there's a better way to say that. The day she got her wings, let's call it her heavenly birthday. The day she got her wings was October twenty seventh, and my sister's birthdays right after that October twenty eighth, And those two days are always kind of weird because my sister's birthday, my sister just texted me a red balloon because we associate red balloon with my mom died, and I texted the red balloon back. And then my sister was traveling. She was in Austin and she was doing family things there, so we didn't even really talk that day. And then it was weird because some anniversaries of that have been really, really hard, and this year it wasn't at all. Like I said, the red blutant, and of course I missed her, but I didn't. I wasn't overwhelmed, And I think normally when I feel overwhelmed, i'll do something like, Okay, well now I need to do something special, or let's go on her mom so that I can have like more peace come over me.
Speaker 1: But I didn't.
Speaker 4: I didn't do that, And it was weird that I didn't even talk to my sister that day. I tried to call her, she didn't answer.
Speaker 1: Busy. But you also had a lot going on that day. I will say that, like that.
Speaker 4: Was a it's a good point. I think maybe also this team, this team, this time of year, not every year or this time of year, but what I have going on right now, You're right, Okay, I will say I felt it, but it wasn't like as hard, Like I didn't have a breakdown. Maybe I need to.
Speaker 1: So why do you think you have to have a breakdown to miss somebody? I don't know.
Speaker 4: Good question, because then if you don't break down, do you even really miss them? Do you miss your mom? Yes, okay, I was joking. I don't think you have to have a breakdown.
Speaker 1: But I think what I'm hearing too, is usually it feels heavier.
Speaker 4: But also too, You're right, the other things were heavier. Yeah, so it's like I only have so much capacity to feel and so the mom stuff actually seemed manageable. But that's okay. I feel like it's so it'll be every years different. Yeah, this is an example of that.
Speaker 1: And I think to speak on what you were saying before this year, it felt like it was manageable. It didn't feel as heavy. That doesn't mean next year you won't be in a place where like you do cry. That doesn't mean that like you're bad at graving. That means that grief is not linear, right, and growth oftentimes is not linear like we in our heads think it's supposed to be. But things are going to affect us at different times in different ways based on what else is going on within our environment. And you have a lot going on within your environment that's probably taking up a lot of space from these other things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Shannon sent us other ways to say anniversary of her death, are you ready for him? Remembrance day.
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 4: Commemoration okay? And angel versiary. Could you imagine if I was like, what have I texted you today? Is my mom's angel versary.
Speaker 1: I know I wouldn't say anything negative because I don't want to judge somebody who if that's how they cope with that, that's true. I can't see you saying that, and I can't see myself using that. I think I would just say anniversary of her death. But I agree, I don't really like that. It's kind of a mouthful and it's like.
Speaker 2: Don't dundun't like anniversary of her death? The day she died, Yeah, the day then music died. I think heaven birthday is cute birthday. Yeah, I think it's sweet. Okay, let's hope she's there. I'm joking too heavy.
Speaker 5: Obviously, I'm just kidding, right, yeah for sure, Yes, yes, yes, I know obviously, yeah, of course yeah.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm. Question that doesn't come up?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 1: So I have a update okay about what two updates? Kind of one for anybody who's wondering my treadmill's working.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, you know people were wondering.
Speaker 1: And I will say somebody came and fixed it. I last week I was talking about, like I have to take it down the stairs. This is gonna suck. They sent somebody to fix it for free. He was very nice, and he also told me it might have just been because I plugged it in wrong, but he waited to tell me that until after he we we wired, rewired.
Speaker 4: Rewired, you know, RS and w's are hard hard.
Speaker 1: He rewired the whole thing and then he was like, could have been just you plugged it in wrong. And I was like, okay, thanks reding kind about that. That brings me to upstairs, which brings me to my fire alarm.
Speaker 4: Which brings you to the question that doesn't come up? Yes, okay.
Speaker 1: So after I had the issue with my smoke detector that I talked about last week, and I had the lady talking to me, Yeah, that was weird. So we now have We haven't fixed it, we just took it off. So I started kind of panicking, not super seriously, but like a little bit thinking in the back of my head, well, if there is a fire in our bedroom and we have to escape and we cannot get out of our bedroom, we're going to have to jump out our window, which led me to how would you jump out of the window. It's a two story building. Do you know how to do this?
Speaker 4: I have thought about ordering one of those throw down ladders from Amazon. Oh so I just haven't ever done it. Wait what it's like a little you know rope with little wooden. You know, it's not very sturdy at all, but it'll work in an emergency and you throw it out and then you like climb down. So you can order those on Amazon.
Speaker 1: Okay, I will be ordering that because carry on. Don't know how to jump out of a window.
Speaker 4: Though, I'm thinking. I'm thinking what I would do probably is I would get a sheet, my sheets, okay, and make my own rope.
Speaker 1: Okay, Like, as I'm not jumping out, you're not jumping out.
Speaker 4: What would do? You have some special way to jump and land and not hurt yourself like I would. I would have my She won't go all the way down, but I could maybe get down enough enough.
Speaker 1: What are you connecting the sheet to so it doesn't fall?
Speaker 4: Good question? Don't know yet. Maybe my curtain rod because it's screwed into the wall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, could I tie it?
Speaker 4: And then yeah, hang out. I'm still gonna have to jump, but just maybe not as far.
Speaker 1: Okay. I'm thinking, like the door it's burning, you have ten seconds to get out of here. The smoke is coming. Get out, Okay. So you're thinking I have some time to make okay, contraption.
Speaker 4: I guess I'm just going to jump?
Speaker 1: Okay, do you know how to jump? Okay?
Speaker 5: Do you so?
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm glad to do Okay, I do now. But I'm glad I'm talking about this because I asked Patrick this and he acted like it was like, well, eevery, I knows this. I said, Patrick, if we had to jump out of our windows, how how do you land? Because you don't want to land on your bottom because you're hole. Your tailbone will completely shatter. If you land just on your feet, your your legs are gonna shatter, and then like you can't land on your hands, you can't let Like, how do you land where you might be able to walk again? Because two stories is kind of high and we have concrete underneath of ours. So he go I said, Patrick, how would you jump out of this window? And he goes tuck and roll? What he just said, tuck and roll? What are you talking to? Stop?
Speaker 4: Drop and roll?
Speaker 1: Like a little different tuck and roll.
Speaker 4: I'm not talking. I can't tuck and roll out of a window.
Speaker 1: Like what No, he means when you so I looked it up. I actually like googled this because I was like, how do you He was like, everybody knows this, and I was like, I'm a part of everybody, and I don't know.
Speaker 4: Oh, so you jump out of the window and right before you hit the ground and you tuck and roll.
Speaker 1: So like I've said, you would just hit the ground as a roll.
Speaker 4: Because I'm picturing he's like in the window and he's roll. He's like rolling out of the window. Like, how does it?
Speaker 1: How how you just do a front flip out of the window. Okay, So basically it says the Internet says, and this is what he was saying. When you land, you land in as as soon as you land, you you roll, so you're smoothing the impact so the impact doesn't all go through your legs.
Speaker 4: I mean, I just don't know how I'm gonna I do need to practice it, true.
Speaker 1: I need to practice, but not through the two story window. But I also was thinking, maybe this is more This is gonna sound a little bit sexist, but I don't mean it that way. Maybe this is more natural for men because they're like football. He was like, in football, if you're gonna whatever, you you roll so you you don't hurt yourself as much, or you slide or you do whatever. So they're like taught how to and he played rugby, so I'm assuming there's a lot of tucking and rolling where nobody ever told me how.
Speaker 4: It's a classic rugby. Yeah, he's still manly.
Speaker 1: I will say every time that he's done something recently, he'll be like, was that masculine?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: So does he know I showed him because I didn't want him to find out about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know what we're talking about. Listening to last week's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he knew exactly what I meant when I said it. But then now he's like, was that masculine enough for you? And I'm like, k, it's any any who tech and roll. So if you live in a two story building and there might be a fire, if you have to jump out, which we hope that you have the time to make the sheet ladder. We should put the ladder in our newsletter. Can you give me that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh, Shannon already has it.
Speaker 4: It'll be on our next upcoming newsletter. So make sure you sign up because you probably can't google. Lads, we just make it easy for you. You never know a yeah, Okay, well, so now we know how the questions rule don't come up. I didn't know how to do that, and now I know. So thank you for teaching me. I feel like you saved my life.
Speaker 1: Honestly, Potentially we won't know until we know.
Speaker 4: But I'm like trying to figure out how manna practice because I would be scared to like jump from my kitchen counter.
Speaker 1: I think we need to go jump off stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I'm nervous. I need to stretch more before or like, because I've got to build up like muscles and and then form and what you could do if you had time? Honestly, I know the fire's coming, the fires coming. So could you go in your closet and put on like Joey from Friends and put on like every clothing item that you have, like every sweat jacket, and then jump out?
Speaker 1: That's actually really if there's a way to tie like a pillow around your bottom, yes, or on your knee you like, And can you jump with a pillow and then roll into the pillow mm hmm. Okay, so we can add some stuff to the tuck and roll. But I do think maybe we should go to a park and jump.
Speaker 4: On practicing okay, practicing our duck and roll.
Speaker 1: So if you see us tucking and rolling in a park.
Speaker 4: Nearby, just we could go to like a gymnastics place and practice like tucking and rolling into the foam pit.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh we could. Just I was gonna say, what do we say to the gymnastics people when we book a session.
Speaker 4: Like, hey, we just want to you can do adult sessions.
Speaker 1: They're gonna be like, what do you want to come do?
Speaker 4: And we're like free, free form, we would like.
Speaker 1: To practice jumping out of our window caase there's a fire.
Speaker 4: I don't think they ask like what are you? What are you training for?
Speaker 1: Whatever?
Speaker 4: You just say like, I'm I'm an athlete, Like I want to practice, Like.
Speaker 1: I'm an athlete. What do you mean? What am I here for? I'm here to do athletic things.
Speaker 4: And you can just sign up. Yeah, okay, tuck and roll all right. I have an email from a new listener named Dave. Hey, Dave, you don't.
Speaker 1: Know what that's from? Do you know what it's from? No?
Speaker 4: But I was hoping you did, because whenever I saw that his name was Dave, I had in my mind, Hey Dave, So if anybody listening right now, knows what that's from, Like, do you know what what's up?
Speaker 1: That's a commercial?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Budweizer.
Speaker 1: So you think Dave is like a Dave.
Speaker 4: I don't know. It could be a movie, a TV show, a commercial, a meme. Nothing could just be from like I know, it could be from nothing. It just could be from my brain.
Speaker 1: I could have had a conversation with somebody named Dave in your head and.
Speaker 4: That's dinner rave, Like, I don't know, but I'm gonna I'm gonna just I'm gonna read his note and I just want to give a shout out because not only is he a new listener and he's already emailing, but he is also offering some advice.
Speaker 1: Okay, Dave, Hey, Dave, let's go.
Speaker 4: I'd listener give me that emailing because we've gotten some really good emails lately lately from listeners that have been listening a long time, and like, you don't have to email right away at all, because these listeners had not. They were like, I've been listening for years, this is my first time emailing, and i've or I've thought about emailing for two or three years now, and I'm finally sitting down to do it and like that's really special, Like if you take the time to sit down and email us, that's not lost on us. But he just started listening on October fourteenth, so he hasn't even listening a full month. Oh my god, Hey Dave, Hey there, Amy and Kat I just listened to your podcast on burnout October fourteenth and enjoyed the whole show. Good to hear the male caller who listens as a way to learn more about being a good partner with his wife. US guys can always use some help in that category. Amy, you mentioned the meh massages from your boyfriend. My question to you is do you ask him to do anything differently or just receive what he gives feel unsatisfied and not give feedback. Oh you found a good not can you dig into that area a little more that feels good? Like things? So Dave is saying, like, speak up, tell him what you need. Don't hope he guesses right and then feel disappointed when he doesn't guess right. Y'all know we are not mind readers, So lay it out there for us to digest and act on. Let's go Dave, Hey, Dave, and why I listened in the first place. The burnout is real. I finally learned to let go and not be one hundred percent attached to my email and phone when my dad was in his last days. Oh his dad, hassa. Maybe he's a has an angel versiary or a heaven birthday.
Speaker 1: What did we.
Speaker 4: Decide heavenly birthday?
Speaker 1: We didn't say angel versary.
Speaker 4: Dave, tell us what you say. A coworker mentor encouraged me to go a day without looking at email and see if the world continued it did not blow up. Since then, I have learned that I can go for larger blocks of time without staying connected. It has really helped me a new and happy listener and probably soon to be a subscriber.
Speaker 1: Dave, Dave.
Speaker 4: By this point, he probably has subscribed in the newsletter, so he's emailed, offered advice and subscribe for the newsletter.
Speaker 1: Subscribe.
Speaker 4: Probably is walking around. Well, they haven't shipped out yet, but I wonder if he's ordered a hoodie or a hat. Oh, here's our hats.
Speaker 1: But also he could have.
Speaker 4: For people on YouTube sick. What does it say, cat? It depends, it says it depends. This makes you think of this time I tried to do this viral video with Kat where I was like, hey, you know, like if you therapists rank their coping coping skills. Yeah, so it's like journaling and Cat's like, well, it depends. It's like going for a walk. It depends. And it's like just say if you think it's a one or a ten. But Kat couldn't do it because it she has integrity and it really depends. She can't just say something's a ten, which when for somebody else it might be a one. Right, So it depends. And then with the let them theory and Mel Robbins, it's sort of like, okay, yeah, let them works at times, but also it depends. So there's so many things in life where it's not black and white. This is a representation. Even though the hat is sort of off white and brown. Life is gray, it's not.
Speaker 1: Mid life is an opportunity to make a gray hat that says it.
Speaker 4: Depends, it's fine. I kind of like this color go better. But our sweatsuit is gray sweat yeah, and our T shirt is sort of gray and it says hat the day you need to have, but it depends. Represents the gray are in life. Where if you're feeling like it has to be this one way or another because sometimes we've been conditioned that way to be more black and white with our thinking. This hat is an exhil it's a deep breath and an exhale to be like you know what it depends right, Yes, I think.
Speaker 1: That was the best natural commercial for that hat that anybody could have ever.
Speaker 4: Except for we got to tell you. Oh yeah, the hat arrives flat brimmed. It's not a flat brimmed hat. It is a you have to mold it with your hands yourself.
Speaker 1: Which I didn't know.
Speaker 4: I'm sure Dave probably knows how to do this with a hat because sort of like Patrick with Tuck and Roll, like, guys probably just know how to do hats better than girls. Yeah, but Cat's like, oh no, this hat is flat. It looked so ridiculous. But then finally can me who's doing our merch. She's like, hey, guys, I've never had any trouble bending the brim, so if you're having any trouble, just keep messing with it, like keep you can't.
Speaker 1: She said. She said it really kindly, like hello, yeah, you don't want to break it in half.
Speaker 4: But but like you just like fold from the and like do like a scoop like a scoop. So it depends a lot in life depends. Thanks Dave for yours was going to give your advice subscriber.
Speaker 1: He could have been a thousandth YouTube script subscriber.
Speaker 4: Maybe do you think I took that as he was subscribing to the newsletter.
Speaker 1: I subscriber to anything. You could subscribe and be a follower of the podcast and subscribe to the podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: We finally got a thousand subscribers on YouTube and I found out because I got an email. Because I don't I didn't go to the YouTube. I got an email from YouTube and they were like, congratulations, you hit a thousand, And I opened it up and it was all these falling bananas. It was like a little dopamine hit. I don't know. I mean YouTube has to know what they're doing, like something was rewarding about the falling bananas and.
Speaker 1: You want to get more for They were like, let's.
Speaker 4: Like, go bananas, you just hit a thousand subscribers que or something. So I thought it was cute.
Speaker 1: I think when you get one hundred thousand, they send you a plaque. Sweet soro to one hundred thousand.
Speaker 4: Yeah, here we're going to go. Except for you and I are the we're not big on like the best at promoting it.
Speaker 1: The YouTube.
Speaker 4: The YouTube, yeah, the YouTube.
Speaker 1: But it will happen naturally.
Speaker 4: It is happening naturally.
Speaker 1: You're listening and you have a internet if you have subscribed to us on YouTube phone, yeah, subscribe to us on YouTube. Just there was a little that's like giving Essa thank you. You just subscribe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, even if you don't watch it over there, can.
Speaker 1: You have to love if you did watch it.
Speaker 4: I don't really know what that does for us, Like I'm sort of old school with this, like podcasting, Like I like that we just have listeners that listen on podcasts.
Speaker 1: Well they can listen on the podcast and subscribe to our YouTube.
Speaker 4: I know. I still just haven't figured out what that's doing for us yet.
Speaker 1: It was making us get banana emails.
Speaker 4: I wonder what they send you at two thousand that that dopamine hit though, is real? Like when I did plates the other day that I tell you, I signed up for one plotate's class and I hadn't done it in months, and I was going to a new place and you're assigned a locker when you get there, like whatever bed or machine you're on, they're numbered like one through fifteen.
Speaker 1: I love that you called them beds. They call it.
Speaker 4: I'm calling it back. I love that because I lay on it sometimes and do nothing like say I have bed number seven or machine machine numbers. Workout that then that means I'm locker seven and I can go put my stuff in locker seven. When I got out on my first class and I went to this class on a code. My friend had a code, so I went for free, cost me nothing. I go to my locker and they put a card to my locker that said, like, congratulations, Amy, you're a Pilates princess. You just finished your first class. Guess what I did. Guess what I did because I bought a package. Now I'm a Pilates prince.
Speaker 1: You bought a package.
Speaker 4: I bought a year stop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like they know what they're doing.
Speaker 4: They my dopamine hit was so high. But here's the thing. They gave me a code. The code was twenty percent off.
Speaker 1: Well they know how to get you, so.
Speaker 4: Twenty percent off for a pack of five. Okay, but now I'm a plates princess, so I have to show up way more like I'm in the class was so good too, Like I really loved it. Guess what I've been every day since I signed up? Every single day.
Speaker 1: Let's go.
Speaker 4: Why Sometimes I just lay there like it's a bed, but I've been there.
Speaker 1: Can I tell you some insider baseball of the gym atmosphere of selling.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so they got me. Well, no, it was, but hes it is dope. It was fresh off of a dopemine hit from a good workout.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ding ding ding.
Speaker 4: Then I opened the locker and I have a card congratulating me, calling me a plates princess and giving me a discount code.
Speaker 1: I mean that's probably.
Speaker 4: And then I purchased something.
Speaker 1: Did you get so you bought that? Did you get any merch too? Were they like, if you buy a merch, well you have to have those.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I already have plenty of socks, but I needed.
Speaker 1: Did you give a socks discount on their socks? Now you're like, well, I'm going to buy these socks for you since you gave me this discount.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you help me, But the discount was sick. It was good twenty percent off of a year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the year.
Speaker 4: So that was where I say, I did the math, I save the most money, and now I'm a polite princess, so I have to show up.
Speaker 1: Because you might be a queen eventually. Maybe here's the thing. To get your money's worth of that you have to go the whole year.
Speaker 4: That's why I'm going.
Speaker 1: But you don't need to go.
Speaker 4: Actually you just go, I know a couple times now. But I'm but right now I'm motivated and I'm in and I'm feeling stronger, like I already on the bands, like I was having to do, you know, the different resistance levels, like saying, I was having to always go down from the recommended. They're like just you know, for this move, it's recommended red red red, but you know, if you need to go red, red blue, you're good. And I was always having to I was like, shoot, I can do blood red yellow like that's and so and now red red blue, which you know what's around the corner, red red red.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 4: So I'm getting stronger. Also, I feel better. Maybe my merry and joyfulness is from like cause you're a politics princess, yes, And I'm moving my body like endorphins are legit and doorphins make you happy, and happy people don't kill their husbands. Boom, just saying, so, name that movie Legally Blonde. Okay, I've seen that.
Speaker 1: One wouldn't be crazy if I hadn't seen Legally Blonde.
Speaker 4: Not really, you haven't seen like a lot of classics.
Speaker 1: Okay. I worked over ten years ago at this gym and my job was front desk, but I had to do sales, so I had to sell the memberships and I wasn't very good at it because it gave me too much thing. I don't like selling things to people. I'm like, if you want it, here it is. But they were what their motto was, you take the you get to every class. The first class is free to get people in and like I don't remember the percentages of it, but because people are like so hopped up on the endorphins after a workout, they are most if they're gonna buy it, they're gonna buy it. Then they're not gonna like I mean, sometimes they do go home and think about it and buy it, but like that's when you wanted to lock it in. And they put so much pressure on us to put pressure on them, and I knew I was the annoying salesperson. You know that feeling? Do you know that feeling?
Speaker 4: Oh, and you're like.
Speaker 1: I know you don't want to buy this, but I have to give you this spiel anyway. Anyway, if you didn't buy it, then what they did is we'll give you another class for free, but if you don't end up buying a membership, you have to pay for that class. So people would come back in and they would be on endorphins again, and then I would get them m So that's how they do it.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: We didn't do We didn't do the cards, and we didn't call people like kickboxing queens, which we should have because that would have been a little extra humph. But I think, but your studio is doing it. They're doing it right.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, no, I mean props to them. So anybody, if you own a fitness studio, used to a card in somebody's locker, so I call them a princess like depending on their I'm sure Dave probably wouldn't want to you. Maybe maybe Dave would. I don't know Dave's preference, but whatever, you just it's c it was good, you know, It's something I just learned about both of us as I used to work front desk at a gym. You know, we find our similarities.
Speaker 1: Like the same we're the same kind of gym.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Gold Gym. I work at the front desk. I didn't have to sell any memberships though. But it was right after I got out of college and I was living with my sister and I needed to get a job because I didn't have a job, my job yet. I got into sales after that, but it was because I ran in to a friend when she came in to work out there and she was like, oh, yeah, I'm working at Luke over with Luke over at AGM. And I'm like what. So then I call Luke and she was like, yeah, I think we might be hiring. And I'm like, Luke, what up? He was my bff in high school. And I was like, are y'all hiring? And he was like yeah, let me set you up an interview. So it was all that, like you never know, Like I did not want to go work at the front desk at Gold's, but it's like that is what led me to my next job. So somebody you just got to do what you got to do. Like I was working, I had to get there at five am, and I was working with some eighteen year old kid and here.
Speaker 1: I am, you're like twenty one.
Speaker 4: No, I was like twenty two, but he was like I was out of college and yes, And then my classmates that are starting a professional careers were coming into work out and I'm like, you need to tell.
Speaker 1: But no, shame.
Speaker 4: Like I think at the time I wouldn't have a problem with it now because it's like whatever, like I understand life better. But I think at the time I was embarrassed. Yeah, I like, don't forget to beat your card. Excuse me your car did skin? You need to check in because they were they were sticklers about being the card and making sure you had a towel.
Speaker 1: What if they were laid on their payments because you have to like be like you.
Speaker 4: Know, I wasn't even that high level, Like I was like literally bottom of the like I was started from the bottom. I was with the eighteen year old punk kid from like that just had finished high school and he's.
Speaker 1: He's like, you went to college for this, and I was like, yeah, yep, I did. Could you fold the towels really well?
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, you know skills I'd skills, you know, But did your gym have a I had to wake up so early. Remind me, my sister's husband would talk about this, like I had to wake up so early. This before I got into radio, which then I learned what early early was doing a morning show. But I had to be at Golds at five am. And I would go to bed at night and I would be so I'm dreading waking up, but I would sleep in my uniform and then uh huh, and then I would wake up and just get my car and go to work. Yeah, I'd sleep and it was like a black like the material was horrible, but black with like gold stripes. It was cold, and I wear these gold pants. Oh, and I would just sleep in it. And that was when I was living with my sister's little It was more like a shed, but we painted it and it didn't have a bad shed. Well, it was the only space and it was either that or go like live with.
Speaker 1: My air conditioning. No, I lived outside.
Speaker 4: I lived outside and it didn't have a bathroom, and I was too scared to walk into their house at night. I would pee in a vase. Yeah, yeah, you come a long way.
Speaker 1: You were working at Gold gym, and you lived outside and you peed in a vase.
Speaker 4: Yes, Oh my gosh, this is like the story you know, you hear of those people where they're like, you know, like Jewel was like before I was famous. I slept in my car.
Speaker 1: You're like, I slept in the shed and I peed in a vase.
Speaker 4: Yeah. But but we painted the inside purple and then the outside we painted to match their house.
Speaker 1: Could she know you sleep on the couch inside with it?
Speaker 4: I was excited about living in the shadow. It's on my own space. Okay, we don't litle makeshift closet.
Speaker 1: Are you sure you have electricity?
Speaker 4: Yeah? We had, I'm Sureeah. We had a light. Yeah, I had a light like a you know from the ceiling where you pull that string down.
Speaker 1: Do you have any pictures of this? You think? Hmmm? Did you have in bite? Anybody over to your shed?
Speaker 4: I know the vase looked like a bamboo.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I did. Go on.
Speaker 4: So so I have.
Speaker 1: My own place. You want to come over? Yeah?
Speaker 4: So while I was working at Gold's gym, I got to work out there for free, and so one day after a workout, actually I think I had already did I move up to my sales job. Yet no, because once I got my sales job, I got an apartment with roommates because I could afford it. But I must have just been working out one day, because when I was going to the parking lot this guy that was also working out. I did work there at the time, because I would check him in and be like, do you need to tell Yeah, okay, how I told you the guy where I went on a couple dates to them, and then we went to the lake for one of our dates, and I real est he shaved his legs and I was like, no, I can't that was him.
Speaker 1: So but he wasn't a deal breaker that you lived outside.
Speaker 4: I don't think you realized that because when he picked me up for my date, I had to meet me at my sister's front door, so we probably thought that was my house.
Speaker 1: I was like, baller, she must own Gold Show. No I have.
Speaker 4: My sister wasn't rocking that way back then. But okay, they were newly married with a baby. I mean it was a super cute house.
Speaker 1: But like she's the manager of gold Show.
Speaker 4: Maybe yeah, like the manager, but.
Speaker 1: He never you never brought anybody to your quarters.
Speaker 4: Okay, that would be hilarious, hilarious, all right, so yeah, it's fun, all right, so fun. The one thing we used to both work at the gym, yep, good times.
Speaker 1: Used to be in a vase.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm surprised I never told you that story.
Speaker 1: I'm glad we're doing this podcast because I'm learning more about you. Things that don't come up.
Speaker 4: That's right, things that don't come up.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 4: Well, we hope y'all are having the day you need.
Speaker 1: To have, right, Can I say half of it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you could say, like, check out our merch.
Speaker 1: Okay, we didn't pre plan this.
Speaker 4: We never do.
Speaker 1: Can you say your thing again and I'll say mine? Okay.
Speaker 4: We hope y'all are having the day you need to have.
Speaker 1: And we hope that you sign up for a newsletter, subscribe to our YouTube, Follow us on Instagram, Follow us on Apple Podcasts, iHeartRadio, Spotify, wherever you get your podcasts and rate and review, rate and review. Send us an email, send us a question Feeling Things podcasts. Hey there at Feeling Things podcast dot com and Feeling Things Podcasts dot Com. Shop our merch.
Speaker 4: Where they can shop the merge. We're linking in the show notes.
Speaker 1: But Feeling Things podcast dot Com.
Speaker 4: It's hard on the video to see the pants. I think people should just go check it out because Cat ordered an extra large sweatshirt so it covers the pants.
Speaker 1: I like to be overflowed in my sweat attire. My lounge wears better way. I don't think you can really see them, but it says feeling things, feeling things, feeling things, matching set.
Speaker 4: Cute, and then have there you need to have on a T shirt cute cute. It depends on a hat cute. All right, bye, we can do it together now. Okay, Oh, now we can say it. Now. Let's say okay, so have the day you need to have. Bye, bye