Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Carol Masser, introducing you to the new Stock Movers podcast from Bloomberg. The show brings you short episodes five minutes or less, covering the stocks making gains and losses in today's trading. Subscribe to Stock Movers on Apple, Spotify, or anywhere you get your podcasts now. Here's a sample of the latest episode from our team at Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 3: The Stock Movers podcast your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg data.
Speaker 2: Let's take a look at some of the stocks on the move on this Monday. Emily Graffeo is Bloomberg News cross house at Reporter, and she joins us here.
Speaker 4: Netflix, one of the top performers in the S and P five hundred on a day when the index itself was down more than two percent and there weren't a lot of places to hide, even in bonds, so they reported a record profit to start the year on Thursday.
Speaker 2: Doesn't it feel like a world away, like completely forgot.
Speaker 4: But like no one was really paying attention, because, yeah, everyone's going on vacation. Everyone was leaving for the holiday, weekend. Maybe Netflix was, but traders weren't, so that stock was up higher today. Record profit to start the year. First quarter earnings rose twenty five percent, which beat ana estimates, and the company also said that it's seen no impact on its business from the tariffs or the market volatility that has followed. So perhaps this is a safety kind of hedge.
Speaker 2: As Bloomberg Television's Alex Steele said, it's basically you gotta have your name.
Speaker 5: I was going to ask, is it a consumer staple or is it a discretionary purchase in your view?
Speaker 3: In my view? In your view?
Speaker 5: And here I'm going to repriind everybody, well you think about them.
Speaker 2: Everybody.
Speaker 5: Standard with ads is seven ninety nine a month, Standard is seventeen ninety nine a month. Premium is twenty four ninety nine a month.
Speaker 3: You know, you don't.
Speaker 4: You don't need it seriously, So I'm going to say it's still a discretionary. I don't know. I mean YouTube is free. Sometimes I feel like.
Speaker 2: Some food on the table.
Speaker 1: Yeah, food on the table Net.
Speaker 4: But it's food on the table versus Netflix. Netflix feels like a you know, more discretionary and there's so many competitors. Oh, yeah, maybe you would stick with your Netflix, because if you have that description already, it's harder to cancel it than like buying a new part. It's stickier. Yeah, which actually segues into my neck stock.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're welcome.
Speaker 4: We're talking about canceling Uber shares. We're down today as much as five point two percent. The end of the day down three percent, But it seems like a lot of the downside is coming from a lawsuit from the FTC, which alleged in a complaint today that the company charged consumers for its Uber one product without their consent and made it unreasonably burdensome to cancel the service. The agency found users can be required to navigate get this as many as twenty three screens and take up to thirty two actions just to cancel Uber one, according to the FTC statement. Now, Uber said in their response that it didn't take that many steps, but that's what.
Speaker 1: The actually twenty two screens and thirty ones.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because all the k ok yeah on the kidding, So I mean, huh yeah, that stock was down.
Speaker 2: Tried to do some things though, and wait a second, we should explain what Uber one is.
Speaker 5: Okay, Okay, So Uber one is like this subscription service you can get for Uber. You get zero delivery fees on Uber Eats orders that are eligible. It's ten bucks a month, maybe ninety six bucks a year roughly. And yeah, I mean I think Lyft has its own version of this too. I'm the Lift I have the Lift one because that's how you get city Bike, so I get a discount on Lyft rides.
Speaker 4: But anyway, yeah, I thought it was interesting. Yeah, because well, the agency has also recently sued several other companies, including Amazon, Adobe, for making it too difficult to cancel subscriptions. So I always have my eye on stuff like that. So Tesla Tesla, speaking of cars, Yes, speaking of cars, we have a lot of nice segues. Today Tesla fell five percent today. This was its third straight day of declines. Earnings are set for tomorrow. The stock is down forty three percent year to date, though, And there was a pretty colorful note we can call it over the weekend from Wedbush's Dan ives he does have an.
Speaker 1: Outperformance, likes to wear colorful.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's one of the best dressed Southside analysts. But he had a note over the weekend that said Tesla's facing a code read moment as it prepares to report its earnings. And he also said that the CEO, Elon Musk, should step back from his work at DOGE and refocus his attention on the carmaker and then on a more fundamental level, still bullish, Yes, he's he's still bullish, but Tesla also.
Speaker 2: Reported bullish and then have a code read past Dan. Yeah, I know, he said, we he said, I love bullish. It's a great question.
Speaker 5: We believe Test along with n Vidr, two of the most disruptive tech companies on the globe over the coming years.
Speaker 4: He also said, Tesla is Musk. Musk is Tesla. Anyone thinks the brand damage Musk has inflicted is not a real thing. Spend some time speaking to car buyers in the US, Europe, Asia, You'll think differently after those discussions. We'll see what you know Tesla does after the earnings. But it's heading into this earnings report down forty three percent year to date, vulnerable. There's a lot of headlines, there's a lot of focus on, you know, what is Musk's role and the company? Is he distracted with what he's doing at DOGE.
Speaker 2: To be an interesting analyst call Earning's analyst call after the close tomorrow. Nice segues between them.
Speaker 1: Well done, well done, Well done.
Speaker 3: The Stockmovers podcast from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.