Speaker 1: He's the Drive with Dale Lolly and Matt Williamson on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold SNR Steelers Nation Radio.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, I'm Dale Lollie.
Speaker 3: He is Matt Williamson and Matt.
Speaker 1: We were just talking about the Browns offensive issues, their DVOA and the quarterback problems that they may have or maybe they don't. I mean again, I like the Shawan Watson as a player, maybe not so much off the field stuff, but I.
Speaker 2: Don't know that he can regain what he once was. We'll see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, so I'm looking at the Steelers here. So last year again, I'm going to go back to DVA. They finished eighteenth in total offensive dv OA. This perfect footballside in fourteenth and weighted offensive DVA over the course of the entire season. Yeah, but if you look at the offensive DVA from week ten on, the Steelers were tenth in offensive DVA in the league.
Speaker 3: Interesting, you know, So.
Speaker 1: You know, when you start talking about what you know, is this Steelers offense going to be better in twenty twenty three than it was last year? You look at it, Well, they still only averaged eighteen point one points per game. And it was it was fourteen points going into that. They were averaging fourteen points a game going into that Week ten game, and it ended up, you know, over those final seven games, they ended up averaging right around twenty one points a game, so a full touchdown.
Speaker 3: Better, which huge progress obviously, which.
Speaker 2: Is huge progress.
Speaker 1: I mean, if they made that kind of jump this year, you'd be like, oh, you'd be a static.
Speaker 2: Now I don't expect.
Speaker 3: That, right, I mean, that's two huge jumps. I mean, that's yeah, prayer in this league.
Speaker 1: The difference here for the steel last year, while they were that high in overall DVOA offensively, they were twenty fourth in red zone touchdown percentage last year fifty one point nine percent yep, yep.
Speaker 2: But they were sixteenth in total red zone trips.
Speaker 3: Interesting, okay, they had.
Speaker 1: Fifty two red zone trips, which was league average basically at sixteen. So if you if you get the league average in terms of the sixteenth best team in terms of touchdown scoring percentage last year, was it fifty five point six percent. So all they need to do is improve their their red zone percentage by five percent basically four percent really, and you're.
Speaker 2: You're you know middle of the pack in terms of scoring. There.
Speaker 1: Add in the fact that they missed a league high ten field goals last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we talked about that a lot, and that's doubtful to happen again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if it's if you knock that down, if you cut that in half.
Speaker 2: Which is certainly doable.
Speaker 1: Chris Boswell, over the course of his career as a about a ninety percent kicker.
Speaker 2: He missed eight field goals last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The other two, the other guys they brought in missed two more. Okay, Like, so if that happens, you're going to score more points than you did a year ago.
Speaker 3: The fact that you're getting to the red zone is promising. I always thought about EPA, and you mentioned where they were at. I just want to go back two or three minutes. You mentioned from week ten on they were what offense was tenth in DVOA. Yeah, an EPA, they were fourth, only behind Kansas City, the Lions and the Niners, you know what I mean. Like, so anyway you cut it, it was really it was quite good, you know, I mean, And is that sustainable? They're gonna be a top five offense? I doubt it to be very honest with you, I think we're I read an article this week basically recapping Kenny Pickett's rookie year, and there's some bad you know, but their red zone passing was near the top of the list of problem areas, which, folks, every rookie quarterback has it, Trevor Lawrence of the year before, blah blah blah, blah blah. But I kind of dug up an interesting nugget too, because I didn't realize they made that many red zone trips until you just said it. But Kenny only threw forty seven passes in the red zone. Nineteen quarterbacks had more pass attempts in the red zone. And remember how injured the league was last year, right right, Kenny had forty seven Pat mahomes led the league and threw one hundred and nineteen passes in the red zone.
Speaker 2: Now, they had a lot more red zone trips.
Speaker 3: They were probably led the league in red zone trips. But Kenny's touchdown numbers when you only throw forty seven passes in the red zone aren't going to be high. And they really had a hard time scoring from without outside the red zone this year, you know what I mean? Yeah, opportunities for him to pad his pass stats as you might think, I mean forty seven passing attempts in the red zone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just looking at it here. Now. The Chiefs had led the NFL with seventy two red zone trips.
Speaker 3: Okay, that doesn't shock me at all.
Speaker 1: They were fifty if they had a sixty nine point four red zone touchdown percentage. Okay, So okay, I mean you know that's you're not going to get to that, right, but if you can get you know, so for example, Denver was dead last with thirty six. As I mentioned, the Steelers had fifty two, so they were right in the middle basically at fifty two between you know, sixteen more than Denver, sixteen less than Kansas City.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But again, so if you get to.
Speaker 1: You know, that mid range, you know, you keep your you should be better offensively this year if you can get that red zone percentage up to I don't know, if you can get sixty trips inside the red zone, and I say sixty sixties A.
Speaker 2: Lot, a lot. There were only five off defences last year had sixty or more.
Speaker 3: So I'm harping on Kenny a lot with this because it's fresh on my mind, is what I just wrote about. So the team had fifty two red zone appearances. Now he wasn't the quarterback on all fifty two, of course, right, but he still only threw forty seven passes in those fifty two attempts. And I get it because he frankly was very bad at it. I mean, he only completed forty three percent of his passes from twenty yards and in. And he also only completed forty three of his passes from ten and in, but that still was only on forty seven pass attempts. Now, he almost has to get better there, you know. I mean, if he can get to a fifty five percent completion percentage in the red zone where it's harder to complete passes, then that's going to result in a lot more points per game. I mean, there's this, no doubt about it. And what do you think he's working on right now? You know? I mean he knows he wasn't great in the red zone. Yeah, and the stillers know he wasn't great in the red zone. So you go get Washington and Robinson, who are red zone guys, you know.
Speaker 2: What, big guys, right? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean, so people might just for for comparison's sakes, Patrick Mahomes. When you're talking about the fifty percent completion percentage, Patrick Mahomes inside the twenty last year, in his one hundred and twenty three attempts.
Speaker 3: Bet at ridiculous completed.
Speaker 1: Fifty percent of his fifty nine point three percent of his passes. It's much more difficult down there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he was miraculous, and he had Kelsey and some of them. I'm not giving Pat Mahomes a hard time, but anyone who plays fantasy knows he has five touchdown a year on shovel passes that you and I could complete. Yeah, right, that gets credit for you know what I mean, Like they count his receptions and touchdown throats.
Speaker 1: You know, so some of the other guys who some of the guys who actually I'm only going to use the guys who threw forty or more passes. Andy Dalton was at sixty five point almost sixty six percent. Wow, inside the red zone. He had eleven touchdowns and one interception down there. Now, remember when we talked about the Saints the other day, Juwan Johnson had seven touchdown catches your tight end, Yeah, yeah, Dak Prescott sixty five point three sixty five point three percent completion percentage down there, thirty two to forty nine.
Speaker 2: What did they use? Tight end? Dalton Schultz had a bunch of touchdowns.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ceedee, Lambs will go up and get a guy too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Daniel Jones was at sixty three point four percent completion percentage in the red zone. He had six He had twelve touchdowns on forty one attempts.
Speaker 3: That one doesn't add up to me considering his receivers. But good for Daniel, Yeah, good for him.
Speaker 2: Tua Tua was sixty three percent to over sixty is really good. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Kirk Cousins was the only other Kirk Cousins and Jimmy Garoppolo the only other two quarterbacks who were over sixty percent.
Speaker 2: Aaron Rodgers was right at sixty okay.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I mean, if you're a sixty percent passer in today's NFL, for every one of your snaps that's frowned upon that used to be, Wow, that guy's completing more than he misses. Well in the red zone. It's a much different animal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh, there's no doubt about it.
Speaker 1: So for okay, So like Justin Herbert, he had twenty touchdown passes in the red zone, he completed fifty eight percent of his passes. Joe Burrow had twenty four touchdown passes in the red zone he had he had he completed fifty eight point seven percent of his passes. So if you can get down, you know, and getting here, Josh Allen's at fifty three point five percent.
Speaker 3: Wow. Okay, So again, if he can get that number up, which I think it only is going to go up. Now, is he going to lead the league? Is he going to be the most efficient red zone guy? Probably not. He's second your quarterback, you know. I mean that that's where they all struggle. Lawrence again was terrible in his rookie year that way, and even early last year. So I think obviously the Steelers are understand this. Picket understands that, and their draw season moves have told us the exact same thing. Accordingly. Now, the other thing that I dug into with this picket stuff, which is more of a Steelers offense thing, is they only scored two touchdowns all year from outside the red zone. Yeah, only two offenses since two thousand have been worse in that regard. Now, is explosive plays a problem? Yes, clearly, but they're not going to be worse. They're not going to score zero from outside twenty. They're not gonna score one, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Well, and all that stuff too.
Speaker 1: I can remember, I mean you were talking about I can remember writing about the you know, week eleven last year they still didn't have a touchdown from outside the twenty. Yeah, right, it was, it was. It was a big issue in the first half of the season. I go back to the you know again, you're playing a rookie quarterback for a lot of those games, and another quarterback who was new to the system. He had a rookie wide receiver still getting his feet wet. You know, they were still trying to figure out what they wanted to be. Yeah, well now they know what they want to be, right exactly.
Speaker 3: They figured things.
Speaker 2: Out, and so I expect that to be better. I do too.
Speaker 3: So again, a lot of these numbers are disturbing. I haven't wrote those words in my article, folks, this is some disturbing stuff. But if you look at it two ways, as obviously this is a problem. Obviously they know it's a problem, and it probably is nowhere to go but up. But this is a crazy bad number Frankly, the Steelers touchdown only averaged six point eight yards away from the goal line, so their scores average six point eight yards. No team over the last thirty years have averaged fewer. Like that's kind of crazy, you know, Like their average touchdown was less than seven yards away from the goal line for the whole year. That's the lowest number in thirty years. Like, it's not gonna be They're not gonna do it again.
Speaker 1: Right, They're not gonna be worse than that, right exactly. You know they're they're going to it's going to go up. You know by the way they they went seven and two down the stretch exactly exactly, and they play a very similar schedule this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're not. They are explosives. So we're gonna grind it out a little more. You know who else did that? The Chiefs minus Tyreek Hill.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, I mean it's just a way.
Speaker 1: I think it's you know, it's a league wide thing that that's how teams are forcing their opponents to play with a lot of the two high shelves and Okay, we're just not going to give.
Speaker 2: Up anything over the top.
Speaker 1: Well that's why you go get a George Pickens to kind of take the top off. That's why you you add an Allen Robinson, you know, to go along with Pat Fryermuth to work that middle and address that and and keep those safeties active underneath.
Speaker 2: M hm. You can't just allow them the key on a picket and to take it a second elder.
Speaker 3: I don't think anybody out there would argue that Pat Mahomes was the best quarterback in the league last year. I think Burrow was two and at worst he was three. Well, those two, to me, took a massive step forward from twenty twenty one to twenty twenty two in one facet of quarterback playing, and that is death by a thousand paper cuts. If you're gonna play too high and lean everything towards Tyreek or Jamar or whoever, I'll dump it to the back and pick up six. You know, like a lot of these quarterbacks, especially young ones, they're gun slingers at heart. The testosterone's flowing. I can't just death by a thousand paper cut. And that was the beauty of Brady.
Speaker 2: I could make this.
Speaker 1: I could make this s throw in college because you know, if they played three they play three defenses. I've seen all three of them already. I'm just gonna give my guy a chance here. Well, it doesn't work in the NFL.
Speaker 3: And I'm the best player on the field, and I'm the first overall pick, and you know, I've been a superstar since I could crawl. And frankly, I just get impatient because this is boring, dumping it down to the backs or a crossing route or a land But the best quarterbacks in the league got so much better last year and just taking what the defense gives you, and I really think the league's going to learn from that well in that respect as well.
Speaker 1: And this is something that Matt Canada has referenced, you know every time you stalk. The Chiefs were number one in the league last year in ten plus play drives.
Speaker 2: The Steelers were second, I say their second.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So Pickett already has that in him to Okay, accept what's the defense is going to give you, and you know.
Speaker 2: Just play that way. Now.
Speaker 1: The next step for him is then to start hitting some of those tight window passes when you get down in the red zone. And again, as you mentioned, he added a couple of big body receivers to do that. I think that's really one of the reasons why. You know, when you look at it, they said, Okay, we don't need another Anthony Miller here right right, want.
Speaker 2: To go we want to go to the bigger body.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bigger body receiver that can go go get it, and you can just box out the cornerback and take the football away from them.
Speaker 3: So I said, a lot of stats there that are scary, that are not nice, you know, But he already started to show it in the second half of the season. And I know you and I like Pro Football Focus, but you know, some of their stuff's a little so so. But their big time throw rate which is a little bit gray, and their turnover worthy throw rate is also a little gray. But I think they're pretty telling, especially when they're this drastic. So listen, this is what I wrote about it. During the first half of the season. Pickett's big time throw rate was twenty seventh among quarterbacks, and his turnover worthy throw rate was twenty fifth. I probably surprises nobody. You know, you're at the bottom of the league in both There were a lot of interceptions, although some of them weren't his fault, but they don't Pro Football Focus doesn't blame him for the ones that go off Claypool's hands or or you know, that was not a turnover worthy play. Conversely, they were. He was second and first from week twelve on in turnover worthy plays and big time throw rate, first and second, you know, behind Burrow was the one, you know, like as good as as anyone was in the league during the second half of the season. So it's in him, and he did it recently.
Speaker 1: So again, this is why when when we look at the Steelers within the division and people's you know, I think they had the best defense in the division.
Speaker 3: I think it's debatable, but they would be my pick.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If they get again average to above average quarterback play, they're gonna be a good football team.
Speaker 3: They're gonna be a good football team. Yeah, I very much believe that, and.
Speaker 2: And everything with pick it was trending in that direction, right.
Speaker 3: I keep rep this article, but and rarely in articles do I say the word I or I think or blah blah blah. Yeah, but in the end I wrote, I'm very confident that Kenny Pickett is going to take a step forward this year, will probably take a step forward majorly in these particular problem areas. Because that's what he's going to be working on, of course, and the team surrounding him with things to make that easier on them. Now you know the player better, and I think he's going to be a successful quarterback in this league. Frankly, when they drafted him, I had my doubts. You know, I'm like, I have some questions. I like him more and more every the more and more i'm exposed to him that I think that's an NFL quarterback.
Speaker 2: To that point, we would have said a lot of the same things two years ago about mac Jones. Yes, the difference.
Speaker 1: The difference being the Patriots took everything at mac Jones had from his rookie year and said, out, we don't need an offensive coordinator. We're gonna get rid of that. We're gonna let you know, Josh mc daniels has gone. And so you let the offensive quardator go. And not only do you let your offensive coordinator go, you don't bring anybody else in to do that with your second year quarterback who had a pretty good rookie year. Oh, he had a better rookie year than Kenny Pickett had. Yeah, overall stats wise.
Speaker 3: Anywaysts wise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So you know when people wonder. If people ask, well, why did the Steelers keep mat Canada, That's why the Steelers kept Mac Canada.
Speaker 3: Change isn't always good, folks.
Speaker 2: Especially with a young quarterback.
Speaker 3: Also, by the way, it was the youngest offense in the league Coup by a wide margin.
Speaker 1: Don't ask him to go learn something new. Take what you did the year before. Piggyback off of that. Add to it. You heard Pickett talk about it during the Ota sessions in mini camp. He felt like they were so much farther ahead than they were last year at this time. Well, you would hope that he would feel that way, but everybody on the offense was saying that, yeah, because they were all young.
Speaker 3: People, don't look at it from this light too. Well, there's two points there is. I'm not saying the other ten dudes are a bunch of dummies, but Pickett might get it easy. But that doesn't mean all the young guys are gonna translate to a new offense overnight when you're the youngest offense in the league. And there's so many examples, like I pay a lot of attention to Luke Getsy because he was a pit with me and I root for him. You know, like the beginning of the Getsy Fields relationship last year with the Bears was awful, you know, like the quarterback and the coordinator were not on the same page. I hate that quote or that cliche. But then Luke figured out Justin and Justin figured out what they could do, and they played to his strengths despite not having anything around him and ran the ball through their quarterback Like Fields wasn't running the ball in the first month of the season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was frustrating. If you had him in fantasy, You're like, what's going on here? Why don't you try to make him a pocket passer? So yeah, someone just looks at.
Speaker 3: The young quarterback. Oh, he'll start to learn the league. Well, the coordinators us to learn the quarterback too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you like to do? What's your family?
Speaker 1: Give me your ten favorite they taught they have this discussion every week after practice when they go through all their practice plays, and on Saturday, the offensive coordinator sits down with the quarterback or the quarterback coach in the in the quarterback, okay, what are your what are the what are your ten best plays? Which ones do you feel the most comfortable with? Okay, that's gonna be your bread and butter, your first third and eight. I guarantee you one of those plays is getting called.
Speaker 3: I mean, this goes back to Walsh and Montana and probably before you know, Joe and Bill on two Thursday or Friday had a meeting just the two of them. Belichick and Brady are notorious for it.
Speaker 2: What do you like?
Speaker 3: What are your favorites? You know? What do you not want to see? What? What? What worries you about this defense?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: I mean, that's what you do. And the more time you spend with each other, the better you understand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the more comfortable you get and you get on again the same page.
Speaker 3: You calling this, But I think we should in this instance you know, or whatever.
Speaker 2: Or you you have the recall on something.
Speaker 1: Hey, we ran this play three weeks ago when they get when this team gave us a look like this one in game is now giving us Yeah, we can go do that one this week. You know, we don't have to.
Speaker 2: We didn't.
Speaker 1: We didn't rep it this week, but we repped it three weeks ago. M hm, and we can use.
Speaker 3: It on three weeks ago against the Bengals, they had this corner blitz that they we'd never seen on tape, didn't practice for at all. It got home twice and we didn't pick it up very well. Well, now the Bills are running it three weeks later. Remember what we did to adjust? Oh yeah, here we go. We'll switch the back over and he's in charge of the corner.
Speaker 2: You know this instead of this hot, this guy's my hot on that on.
Speaker 3: That right right that we look at the wrong side of the field. They do. The other coaches get paid too, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's all very interesting. You know, we'll see that's why they played. It is exciting. It's it's like I feel like I did in two thousand and four when when Ben Roethlisberger, when you started to see, Okay, this this guy's pretty good.
Speaker 3: It won't break my heart if Kenny turns into Ben year after year. We don't have these conversas.
Speaker 2: I don't have that expectation.
Speaker 3: But you know, he's gonna play like a Hall of Fame or hoham boring. But it's exciting, you know, like, boy, I hope the young kid takes the next step, or you know, my son just got his driver's license. Good, he isn't wrecked yet. You know, I mean.
Speaker 2: He is.
Speaker 1: Matt Williams said, I am Dale Lawley. You're listening to the Drive here on Steelers Nation Radio. We're gonna take a break. We'll be back with more. It's fantasy football time now. It's just a little fantasy football focus. We'll do that when we return on the Drive.