Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This is Mick Shots, streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys apt now Here are Bill Jones, Savannah Humoler, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 4: Well, three out of four ain't bad, as it is a Tuesday here in the s WBC podcast studio. It is Mick Shots, it's Bill Jones, it's Savannah Humoler, it's Mickey Spagnola, and it's not Everson Walls today.
Speaker 5: But hello, Hello, how are we doing good?
Speaker 4: Savannah's got our laptop out and we are ready to take text messages from you the cowboy fan.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 4: It's a text friendly you know what I was thinking it ought to be. Today, It's a talk Taco Tuesday, A talk oh Tuesday. Because we talked defense so much yesterday, we probably got a talk offense today.
Speaker 5: I like it. I'm still on the defense. Oh no, we got offense too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, we could go back and forth. Offense has its own issues. Three out of four bad, yeah, And we had an opportunity at the end of the day yesterday after we were signed off the air, Mike McCarthy had a press conference, and then the coordinators had their own media availabilities, and so we've got some light shed on what happened on Sunday afternoon. Mickey's got his legal pad filled with notes. I'm sure that he was scribbling down Savannah as he was listening to the coordinators talk yesterday.
Speaker 6: Yes, what did they say?
Speaker 5: What did they say?
Speaker 4: Yes, tell us, give us, give us some I'll let you go through the legal pad and come up with some highlights. But I was most interested before we talk, oh Tuesday, I was most interested in hearing what dan Quinn had to say.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was how should we say.
Speaker 7: He was upset with the way this defense?
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, that's probably quote him very accurate. He So here's what I think I took from him, And it was about how in the first half basically, but it kind of carried over to fourth quarter giving up Big Place.
Speaker 7: And in the fourth quarter of the one Big.
Speaker 5: Place sixty nine yard Michael Wilson right left, but he gave left unguarded. But he gave him Aleik Hooker credit for saving the touchdown and giving him an opportunity at least maybe.
Speaker 4: Four playing that it was not Malik Hooker's fault. In fact, Malik Hooker is the one who gave him a chance to get a stop on the right drive.
Speaker 5: Which they didn't absolutely And he talked about how Hooker played, Bland played, and d law and.
Speaker 7: D law ted. Those were the three guys who played.
Speaker 4: Up to snuff run Sunday, and everybody else pretty much was less than what they usually do.
Speaker 5: So this will be the shocking stat that I came up with after listening to him about big plays. Okay, okay, So the first two games, and we're going to judge big plays run and pass plays of twenty plus yards. The first two games, they gave up three of those in that category for one hundred and fourteen yards, just three, and one of them was the sixty eight eight yarder with Zach Wilson to Gary Wilson sixty eight yard touchdown pass. So we talked yesterday that there were seven big plays by Arizona of twenty plus yards. Well, those seven plays came to two hundred and forty.
Speaker 6: Nine yards against Arizona.
Speaker 5: Against Arizona, so two hundred and forty nine of their four hundred yards came on seven plays. The other forty six plays they had came to one hundred and fifty one yards. So if you do the math on it, the seventh plays for two forty nine come to about thirty some yards of play average, and the forty six plays for one hundred and fifty one yards come to three point two yards of play. So how do you play so well on forty six plays and seven plays were disaster which basically got them beat right, And that was the difference I think in that game, seeing that they had, you know, plays of sixty nine, forty five for a touchdown, forty four for a run. I think they had a thirty in there and a couple twenties. But so what happened with this defense? And you know, sometimes they get you right. They came up with a play and out schemed you on that play. But a lot of times those big plays like that, they're mistakes, their assignment mistakes. Just like Bill pointed out on the sixty nine yard pass, there's no way you devised a defense to let that guy run across the field down the right side all by himself without a soul even there, So there was a misplay there. We talked about. Bill mentioned the forty four yarder quarterback quarterback Rod and then on that touchdown the forty five yard one, Sam Williams crashed inside, didn't hold down the edge, and they double teamed jay Ron Curse to the outside, double teamed him with both tight ends on that play that I went and watched. And then that was the one Donovan Wilson took a false step to his left and couldn't get back in time to his right.
Speaker 8: Do you think they were confused?
Speaker 6: Some of the guys were confused because when I watched, there was a Sam Williams, Jordan Lewis looked confused on a couple plays. Is that a problem as far as that inconsistency there? Do they need to tighten up on? There was having consistency?
Speaker 5: There was one play they had they were confused on lining up Parsons was to the latter shoot him to the right, his hands, Yeah, and he's going, WHOA, what do I do? What am I am? I playing defensive vendor linebacker? Right? So yeah, I think there was some of that, And and I'm going to give Arizona credit for scheming against this defense. I think that you know, they they saw some of the apparent weaknesses. And then the other thing that stood out to me is the defensive front was not keeping the offensive lineman off the linebackers. There was too many times, Vendorish. It's one thing to have one guy come on you, sometimes.
Speaker 2: There was two.
Speaker 5: You can't play defense like that.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 4: It's interesting just you have a certain game plan offensively and defensively as you go into a game, and I wonder, I think that when you look at the offense. I think once it was determined on Saturday that Tyron Smith as was highly unlikely to play, and Zach Martin was out and Tyler Biottish was out, and you pretty much were certain you were going with three new starters on and then a first time started this year and Tyler Smith that left guard that Mike McCarthy altered his game plan for the game. As far as what they were going to do offensively, I don't defensively, they may have wanted to do the same thing. Maybe they did, I don't know, but this was a game where with the uncertainty on the offensive line, the possibility of producing a lot of points was not going to be as great as if everybody was healthy. And the one thing you want to avoid against Arizona is the big play. And I think that but the calling card of this Cowboys defense the first two games of this year, for the last two years are their takeaways, their big playability. And I think they went in with the attitude that we're gonna we're us, We're going to do what we do defensively, and we are going to come up with big plays. And it backfired.
Speaker 5: On them, like they were hunting the plays exactly.
Speaker 4: They were aggressively seeking the big plays. And that's why I mentioned to Everson is it's become a mindset of a player when you know you're down a number of players in a game, that you're trying to do too much. You're trying to make that big play, and maybe even from a coaching standpoint, you're trying to do too much to make a big play win in this game against this particular team. If you just kept them all in front of you and made it and played it like it was going to be a close game, then you wouldn't have had the big plays sprung on you. One play in particular, the Rondelle Moore play, Mickey, which you talked about. Sam Williams was playing the right edge. He was set up as a wide nine. Drence Armstrong was wide nine to the lew left and if you look at the end zone copy, the Cowboys basically had two down linemen and Marquise Bell as your middle linebacker on that play. And that was the play where Marquise Bell got eaten up by the offensive lineman. Some will say the offensive lineman held him as well, but the numbers weren't right there by formation Arizona schemed it where Leyton vander Esch was not playing the middle, he was shaded to the left side of the formation.
Speaker 5: And the one thing also I think Quinn pointed out is they didn't have a takeaway. This team, that defense lives on takeaways, and they had what seven of them in the first two games. They were plus seven takeaway differential. So I just decided right now I was going to see the last time they played a game without a ten take away And I'm looking here from last year, and if I can go game by game, you're.
Speaker 7: Going to find that.
Speaker 5: Going to find that. I go back to Washington the fourth game of the year. They didn't have an interception, they didn't have a fumble recovery.
Speaker 4: As you're looking that up. One of the reasons that they had so many turnovers or takeaways in the first two games of this year is they were able to get up on the Giants and the Jets early in the game. Right, this game played out differently where they were down fifteen to three in the second quarter. You go back, and you go back the last couple of years, and when the Cowboys fall behind by double digits in the first half of a game, it usually doesn't bode.
Speaker 7: Well for them. Right, most teams are like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you previous year, I think it was during the I'm pretty sure it was the twenty twenty one season. All the losses they got behind by double figures in the first half of the game, and every game that they didn't do that they won.
Speaker 5: So last year all they had was one two, three, four or five six, six, six games with no interceptions and when it came to fumble recoveries, one two, three, four, five six, and that's it. Every other game there was interceptions and fumbling.
Speaker 4: What was the record last year twelve twive five.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So it's a recipe for success. Fall behind, fall behind, win.
Speaker 5: They turnover differential exactly, and then you know the other part of that is if you're getting takeaways, you're making it usually easier on your offense. Chances are you're getting better field positions. But conversely, if you're scoring points on offense, then the opposing offense has to take chances. And they never really got Arizona to a point where the pressure's on. We got to score and they should have had it at twenty one sixteen and then one.
Speaker 4: Play pressure was the pressure was on Arizona on that possession and it took one because if they go three and out, cowboys are in position. Okay, yeah, but Michael Wilson was left uncovered for a sixty nine yard pickup, So you got a mental bus right, all right, you want to start us off before we go to break here with something from the text line.
Speaker 5: We need to remind everybody for we do this. Sure eight one seven two nine zero three two nine eight.
Speaker 6: They're gonna we're gonna have to talk a little. Dak Prescott got back.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 6: I have a few people asking some questions about Dak consistency.
Speaker 5: Dak seen anything about the offensive lineman that we're missing.
Speaker 4: I have one question about for you when we come back here.
Speaker 5: Okay, let's do that.
Speaker 7: As we come back, We're.
Speaker 4: Gonna it's Tako Old Tuesday on Mixed Shots.
Speaker 9: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 7: And they snapped the press down. Who looks right, it's not there.
Speaker 1: He escaped leaft.
Speaker 2: He'll run full a punch down.
Speaker 9: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 3: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 9: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, they've got you covered. What are you waiting for? Get started at blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 10: You know that sound anywhere. It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for. Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping. There's no topping of school PEPSI finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 2: That's what I like.
Speaker 8: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 11: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite Wood a pairing can, cracks, a kickoff, tailgates, going way Pass, postgame Sunday Night overtimes by by Monday Morning, Swacker Brisky and the Smoker. Miller Light and the Take America's team playing America's greatest sport.
Speaker 2: Miller Light the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 11: Dallas Cowboys Football Taste like Miller Time, Celebrate Responsibly. Twenty twenty three. Miller Brown Company, Fort Worth, Texas, Demitt.
Speaker 6: Shots k post roofing and waterproofing the official roofer of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: All right, we continue here on a Tuesday at the Star in Frisco. Cowboys players have their regular day off today they start in earnest preparing for the New England Patriots tomorrow. And of course, last night we had two games played. The Eagles remain unbeaten, where they twenty five to eleven win over the previously unbeaten Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and the Bengals got a yeoman effort from Joe Burrow playing hurt to beat the Rams last night for their first win of the season. So there are three unbeaten teams in the NFL through three weeks of the season. That shows what parody does for you.
Speaker 7: In this league.
Speaker 4: It's Philadelphia, it's San Francisco who the Cowboys will play next week, and it's the Miami Dolphins who put up seventy points. And by the way, how about the matchup this week Miami Buffalo?
Speaker 7: Oh really yeah?
Speaker 8: I like that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, very good.
Speaker 7: A good one.
Speaker 4: It's a I believe it's a noon game on Sunday, A rare marquee matchup in the noon window on Sundays.
Speaker 5: Tony Romo getting that game.
Speaker 7: That would be interesting. I'm not I would imagine it would.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'd ship them a lot of times, a lot of times one crew, but a lot of times the networks will make the decisions on what games are getting in the first month of the season. That they make the decision before the season even starts. But I can see that they would have already assigned him and Nance to that game at the outset of the season, albeit at being a noon game. Usually he gets the three to twenty five game.
Speaker 7: All right, here's a question.
Speaker 5: Wait, before we got right, I was gonna say advice to the Dallas Cowboys after watching the Philadelphia game last night. They've got to November fifth to get their offensive line back together because the Georgia line. Holy Kyle, those monsters. Is that the name of a group Georgia. No, I don't know a country, something country.
Speaker 6: Geordia, Georgia line, Ordia, Georgia line.
Speaker 5: Okay, well, this is just the Georgia line.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 4: Well, and speaking of offensive line, if I were to tell you, yes, at the beginning of training camp, okay, not just on offense, but the Cowboys are going to play a game this season where they don't have Trayvon Diggs and Marquise Bell is your third linebacker, Okay, which is what the way they've been playing at the last three weeks. Okay, But I'm saying I'm asking this question the beginning of training camp, when we had no idea that Marquise Bell would be a linebacker.
Speaker 7: He was a safety. Okay, all right.
Speaker 4: But more importantly, they're going to play a game this season in which Tchuma Edogas starts at left tackle, Tyler Smith plays his first game of the season at left guard. Brock Hoffman play is your starting center, TJ Bass is your starting right guard, and Terrence Steel at right tackle. What would you say, regardless of who the opponent is, what would you say the chances are the Cowboys win that game? If I asked you that question at the beginning of training.
Speaker 5: Camp, I would have say they got shut out.
Speaker 4: I would fair have Basically, as important as it is to have healthy offensive linemen in this league, and you can point to the Rams last year, the Super Bowl champions from the year before, who lost a previously Pro Bowl left tackle and Andrew Whitworth to retirement, and then they had.
Speaker 7: So many injuries during the season.
Speaker 4: We saw what happened to that team last year, and there are others too. We saw Philadelphia remain healthy throughout the year on their offensive line until the very end when Lane Johnson had to nurse an injury in the last game of the season, basically, and we.
Speaker 7: Saw what Philadelphia did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think you're probably seeing this year with the teams that are getting off to quick starts, that the offensive lines are healthy. But it's so important to have a healthy offensive line. That's not an excuse for what happened on Sunday, but it's just reality in this league. And even as Brian Schottenheimer said in his press conference yesterday, those guys played well, but it's very difficult for an offensive line to be thrown together, especially the way this one was this past week with the injuries coming late in the week where they didn't get the reps in practic is for them to be able to function as an offense, which I think has a lot to do with the play calling that we saw in this game, especially late in the game after the Michael Gallup throwing the end zone that is not Mike McCarthy like to run with from the five and a half minute mark to the three minute mark in the game, where time is of the essence to run five straight rushing plays. But I think he felt like he had to do that because of what he had upfront on his offensive line.
Speaker 5: Oh, I think he was scared of it. And I'm going to throw one more at you. Just think back to remember the Super Bowl when Kansas City got beat and they had like three different offensive linemen.
Speaker 7: And what they did in the off season after that they.
Speaker 5: Shored agency, which is yes, absolutely so no, you're you're exactly right on that. And even Mike McCarthy said, my bad that I've got to learn now any probably knew it, but I'm going to get my backups more snaps in practice. And remember they only have so many so much time in practice, right. But those guys that you just mentioned barely got any practice right because they thought, well, they would have had some early because they knew Zach was in practicing. But the Beyaddish thing crops up, and then Tyron Smith thing crops up on Saturday, right, and so those guys are out there.
Speaker 4: I think you basically with Tyron, you basically have because of track record the last several years that and where he is in his career, and now Zach Martin is at that point that the age wise thirty three years old, that you you've got to make sure that that the backup offensive linemen are ready to go. Even when it appears on the injury report that you're good on Thursday, you may not be good by Sunday.
Speaker 6: Have we anticipated when these guys could make our return potentially? Has anyone said anything?
Speaker 5: No, they have not. I think Stephen Jones mentioned that there was a chance that they would get back, but he said, we got to see how the week goes along. So I think they're Usually it makes.
Speaker 4: The decision easy if they have an injury that puts them out for four weeks and you put them on IR. Now you're you're getting the young guys reps in practice.
Speaker 5: And you're talking to guys starting Hoffman and Bass that had never played. I mean, they'd been out there, you know, mop up stuff. Bass got to play a little bit that second half the Jets for the Jets, but they had never started in the NFL. It was their first starts. Hoffman's probably first snaps other than you know, some cleanup time and a blowout. So if those guys don't get a lot of snaps in practice. I'll be interested to see this week if they give some snaps at left tackle to Tyler Smith.
Speaker 4: Yep, that'll that will be interesting and good for them. They were actually going up against the Arizona Front and not the Philadelphia Front or the San Francisco Front, which the Cowboys will be.
Speaker 7: Facing next week.
Speaker 4: And even what the Patriots do defensive, they got a very experienced defense. They virtually everybody back on defense. And you know what Bill Belichick can do with the defense to try to confuse young players. All right, to the text line we go.
Speaker 6: All right, Regina from Virginia would like to know what we think about Brandon Cooks and the two games he has played. Do you think he has enough chemistry with Dak Prescott.
Speaker 5: Oh, I think the chemistry is there. I think I'm going to go back to you know, he didn't play the previous games. He played in the opener, I.
Speaker 4: Think, which was a game in which the Cowboys did not have to throw the football because they got up right sixteen to nothing to start the game.
Speaker 5: And then this game and he's Bill's talking, they're playing with a scared stick.
Speaker 4: And he's dealing with his injury, right, so coming off it. So I think it's too early to I think that they were fine just judging what we saw in training camp. They had gotten worked together in the off season on their own as well. I think the chemistry is fine. It's just too small a sample size and the nature of the games so far that it's hard to make a read. Just like last week we were talking, you know, they got to get Michael Gallup involved. Well, Michael Gallup got involved in a really good way on Sunday, which they will grow from there on that.
Speaker 5: And had that interference got called in the end zone, they would have had the ball at the one yard line, and I kind of liked their chances of.
Speaker 7: Giving it to Hunter Lipke and letting him score.
Speaker 6: That's right, Yeah, absolutely, I'm here for that. I actually like that give him the ball.
Speaker 5: So if they had scored a touchdown, was that the drive of the interception? Yes, So the score at that time it was twenty eight sixteen, so it would have been twenty eight twenty three or twenty four if you go for two if you scored a touchdown.
Speaker 4: But you wouldn't have twenty eight twenty three yeah. So now game on right, right, and you still had three timeouts left.
Speaker 5: And you could have on side kick, could have on sidekicked, you would have played defense.
Speaker 4: And now the pressure had they gotten the call, then you've got you wouldn't have had three minutes left. Let's say you score on the next play and at best you at best you score on the next play, and you've got five minutes left in the game instead of three minutes left in the game, and so you would not have on sidekicked.
Speaker 7: You would have tried to trust.
Speaker 4: Your defense that they're going to go ahead and cover everybody and get a three in out and then you get the ball back.
Speaker 5: Because that play, that play was snapped at five thirty three, right, So say you got the call, you would have had five minutes left right with the score now tight, and it makes them think, okay, now.
Speaker 7: This is it was a huge call in the right, huge.
Speaker 5: Call, especially since it was made and then picked up for some god forsaken reason.
Speaker 4: Okay, we're going back to the text line, or we're going to go down that dock road.
Speaker 6: I think we can start going down the dock road.
Speaker 4: If you got all right, let's go for it, all right, let me pull this up.
Speaker 6: Okay, Dak in his eighth season. Jalen Hurts went to the Super Bowl in his second year. Do we think Kasha Wilson did too, Dak, his ceiling maybe has been hit compared to Jalen Hurts.
Speaker 4: Not comparing to Jalen Hurts or anybody. But I don't think this ceiling has been hit.
Speaker 5: I agree. Now, let's not udge off of one game. I mean, think about the judgments that were made. After two games. This was going to be the doomsday defense, and then in Game three they doomed the Cowboys seven plays for two hundred and when they say forty nine yards, geez, I guess the airs on the Cardinals who hadn't won and what they lose nine.
Speaker 4: By the way, By the way, I was thinking another thing I was going to tell you yesterday. We needed to have Danny Sirek on the show, but we needed with Everson here because you heard whatever whatever was was telling Daddy last week about. In fact, I saw a Facebook post That's what made me think of it. I saw a Facebook post in Danny's family they all root for the Cowboys because they're from here, and she's the Arizona Cardinals reporter. Now, as we talked about with her on the show last week, her heart.
Speaker 5: Is actually with the Cowboys.
Speaker 7: Bet her paycheck. Coach actually did. She didn't say that.
Speaker 4: I said that, but it was. It was funny and so on the comments. I said, we need to have you back on the show just so that you could talk some smack to Evererson.
Speaker 5: Well, she had her, but she wouldn't. She had her red sued on all the way. And at halftime she came up to me and it was twenty one ten and she said, oh, having a good time. I said, you just be careful. The Cowboys got the first possession of the second half. It's going to be twenty one seventeen real quick.
Speaker 7: Well did you see her after the game?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, yeah, all right, all right we continue with more mixed shots in just a moment.
Speaker 8: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National me of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite.
Speaker 11: What a pairing can cracks a kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday mornings. Swagger brisky in the Smoker, Miller Lite and the Creek the America's team playing.
Speaker 2: America's greatest school.
Speaker 11: Miller Lyte, the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football taste like Miller Time, Celebrate Responsibly. Twenty twenty three, miliber Own Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 9: I'm Dok Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they snapper.
Speaker 7: The fresh stout who looks white.
Speaker 4: It's not there.
Speaker 7: He escape slept.
Speaker 5: He'll look full punchtown.
Speaker 9: Just like football. When it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands, says to the eleven. They've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 7: Prescott's gonna run this himself. Run it up the middle.
Speaker 4: Any stores.
Speaker 9: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, they've got you covered. What are you waiting for? Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 10: You know that sound anywhere. It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for. Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping, there's no topping of cool, pepsy finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 2: That's what I like to mixed shots.
Speaker 6: Your Dallas Cowboys head to Santa Clara to take on the forty nine Ers in week five of the twenty twenty three season. Come out to the Miller Lighthouse at and T Stadium on October eighth for a free watch party presented by seven to eleven Cheer on the Boys alongside the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders and rowdy while enjoin five dollars Miller Lights Barbecue Game Day Fair and more. Gates open at six pm and kickoff is at seven twenty. For more information and to claim your free ticket, visit dallascowboys dot com slash watch party.
Speaker 7: That'll be fun.
Speaker 4: A Sunday night game at San Francisco next week, and then the Cowboys play a night game the following week, a Monday night game at the Chargers, and then the bye week after that, the week of October twenty second. But the Chargers, by the way, just signed Simi Fehoko to their active roster off the Steelers practice squad. They had the injury to Mike Williams, which will help the Cowboys out when they go to play the Chargers. Did you see the numbers that Justin Herbert put up against the Vikings. He was like forty out of forty seven of over four hundred yards and Keenan Allen threw a touchdown pass and he also had I think like eighteen catches in the game. They're putting in it, but it was a very close game that the Vikings came very.
Speaker 7: Close to winning.
Speaker 6: Great game. He had a four hundred and five yards and three touchdowns.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so you know who's the offensive Cordner Kellen Moore.
Speaker 7: Okay, that's right.
Speaker 5: Why aren't we staying at San Jose after the San Francisco game. I don't know what I didn't ask. I was asking you you've got the range staff.
Speaker 7: After the game?
Speaker 5: Well you you got to go back again on Monday the following Monday.
Speaker 7: Oh, I say, between San Francisco.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's not the it's like an eight eight days that like the Giants played last week.
Speaker 5: The Giants like eight days because we're get home Monday at about five in the morning.
Speaker 7: But you still get a full week to prepare. Okay, okay.
Speaker 4: The Giants, on the other hand, they played Week two, They played at Arizona and then they played a Thursday night game at San Francisco. So obviously they were going to stay on the West Coast, which they did well.
Speaker 5: Bill kept us out there between San Francisco and the Raiders. When they were in Oakland, it was the same town.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but this week it's the New England Patriots, and the New England Patriots made an interesting move at the end of the week Friday Saturday, they signed Will Greer off the Bengals practice squad, and Will Greer said, yep, I'm coming to New England, and so absolutely, as Brian Schottenheimer said, there's probably some late hours that Will Greer is spending this week as the New England coaching staff picks his brain on the Cowboys office.
Speaker 5: They will debrief him, be like a spy.
Speaker 7: Right, interesting though, now I guess he.
Speaker 4: I would think that Will Greer might have had the opportunity with Burrow with what's going on with his injury. Greer and the Bengals probably they had to make a decision on Okay, are we going to activate you? Sign you to the active roster, But they felt good enough about Burrow's injury that they didn't need a third quarterback on the fifty three, and so Will decided he'd head to New England.
Speaker 7: Take that offer.
Speaker 5: So it's a big pay raise. It was funny last week the Bengals were having the running back run practicing throwing the ball because he was gonna be the third emergency quarterback.
Speaker 7: Yeah, after Greer got taken.
Speaker 4: And then they yeah, and then but you think about it from Will Greer's perspective, Okay, you've got your behind Joe Burrow in Cincinnati, and is it a better opportunity do you think going to New England, being behind Mac Jones and Malik Cunningham whoever else they have on their roster at quarterback, I think in the opportunity might present itself sooner in New England than it does in Cincinnati for him, assuming Burrow can stay healthy. And by the way, I mean Burrow last night obviously was it wasn't able to drive the football, but he went ahead and played because he felt like the risk of going zero to three was greater than the risk of further injury to his calf.
Speaker 5: You see him sitting on the bench with that wrap around his calf. I think it was probably a warming device. Or so, okay, where are we at? Is Dak cong plays this week? Because I mean, Greer had a great game when Dak called the players.
Speaker 4: Very nice, So will all the will can all will can offer to the paid All I know is this is how Dak would call a game exactly. I haven't seen enough of I don't pay attention that much. I was the third quarterback there.
Speaker 5: Maybe instead of being the emergency third quarterback, they'll just make him an active and send him into the coach and booth uh huh.
Speaker 4: Tye in the sky for the game or he's in whatever position to try to steal signs that too.
Speaker 6: Oh no, we can't have that, not like we're.
Speaker 5: Going to change those this week.
Speaker 4: And Patriots don't have any experience stealing signs. Yeah, yeah, that's not something that they would do right.
Speaker 5: Or or putting somebody in the Doctor Pepper building.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So what is it as we look ahead towards New England? What is it that concerns you about this Cowboys team this week with this opponent.
Speaker 5: I'm just worried about that, you know what, I'm not worrying about the opponent. I'm worried about them. I'm worried about getting that offensive line back together, and if it's not together, then getting those those backups enough snaps that they are better coordinated up front, and then the defense just needs to get back to playing sound defense and not scurring all over the place. That's my concern. I don't care if they're playing Philadelphia Eagles this week. That stuff is just take care of yourself.
Speaker 6: I'm sure dan Quinn this week will really focus with the defense to try to get them set up for Sunday. I think that is his goal this week. You got to get all the guys on the same page and make sure they're not confused, and we don't give up those seven big plays, as you said something like that, we need to be more consistent.
Speaker 4: And then offense, don't think New England said seven big plays, he's all season.
Speaker 5: Well, well that's good. We'll find out their stats come out. And then offensively, But having said that, I have a lot of respect for New England. And they lost to Philadelphia twenty five to twenty. That was a game, and in the season open they fell behind sixteen to nothing to start the game. And then against Miami, a team that put up seventy the following week, they lost to them twenty four to seventeen. And then against the Jets they win fifteen to ten.
Speaker 2: Go ahead.
Speaker 5: So I was going to say, and then offensively, as Brian Schottenheimer said, they will emphasize red zone offense this week and make sure that they come up with a good plan. And you're right. I guarantee you. They pulled back and just because out of fear of their own selves, right with the offensive line they had, but no more pulling back.
Speaker 4: Well at a certain point, okay, that was a game where guys are getting their feet wet right playing in the NFL, and you know the game's come in a hurry, and you saw what happened with taking that approach in that game.
Speaker 7: Well, you've got to do what you do and.
Speaker 5: They're going to face a lot of blitzing. I'll guarantee you from Belichick. So do we have a text all teed up there?
Speaker 6: Let me see what we have here. You know, I got to say, not many texts coming in today, not on the Taco Tuesday.
Speaker 5: Well they had their chance.
Speaker 1: They did.
Speaker 7: I'll talk New England.
Speaker 4: Oh and I loved what McCarthy said yesterday about Zeke and his first impression of Zeke was the twenty sixteen game at Green Bay and of course McCarthy was on the packer's sideline and he said, Zeke made a long run right in front of the packer's bench and he just remembers just how big his head was.
Speaker 5: It's about the third time he's told that story.
Speaker 4: Just this is a big man. And he had said that, you know, watching him on television, whether in college or wherever, and preparing for the game, when coaches film, you don't get an impression of just how big a guy he is. And that was his first impression was just how big his head was. And he had many very nice things to say about Zeke yesterday and how he's loved in this locker room.
Speaker 7: And so I love.
Speaker 4: I love that the game is being played here and that.
Speaker 5: It's, yeah, a little homecoming, little bit homecoming when you think a last time a Cowboys, the Cowboys had a prominent player come back to play, And I don't know the answer that. All I can think of is em coming back with Arizona. But twenty years ago, was there anybody else? I mean, because they normally didn't let prominent players get away. Right now, DeMarcus Lawrence where right? But I don't think they ever played Denver with Where did they? I don't remember back in the preseason, I believe DeMarcus did. I believe. I'm gonna look at that.
Speaker 7: Okay, yeah, I don't.
Speaker 5: There really wasn't. Now Ken Norton did.
Speaker 4: Thirty years now, Savannah.
Speaker 5: But I was just trying to think somebody, you know, quarterback, running back, wide receiver. Did Terrell Owens ever come back? Marco Murray did with Philadelphia if you remember, Oh, that's right, he did, and he was a pretty big figure for us. Yeah, at that time.
Speaker 4: I don't even remember DeMarco Murray being with Philadelphia.
Speaker 5: Don't either, he was there for a year.
Speaker 7: I was thinking not even remember.
Speaker 5: I was thinking he was at Tennessee.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I flew right over my head.
Speaker 7: But anyway, I think you know Zeke.
Speaker 4: You know, he got a late start in training camp, didn't get signed until pretty much late August. And they've got Romandre Stevenson, who I'm familiar with, having watched him at Oklahoma.
Speaker 7: I liked him.
Speaker 4: He's a big, tough, strong running back. Zeke's a better running back than him if he's depending on how.
Speaker 7: Much juice Zeke has left.
Speaker 4: And he shows what I've seen so far in New England, He's shown that he's still got it. And he had sixteen carries for eighty yards in the win over the Jets on Sunday, and so I think we're going to see a lot of Zeke on Sunday against the Cowboys.
Speaker 6: Twenty eight carries this season, one hundred and twenty two yards and no scores.
Speaker 5: Look at there, and that ready, I'm going to look it up.
Speaker 4: Zeke was right at five yards of carry against the Jets. He had several runs or ten yards in that game, see you there. So anyway, it's gonna be fun. It's gonna be a fun week as we get ready for the New England Patriots here on Sunday.
Speaker 5: Especially if he scores on the goal light, which we will get into the We didn't get to the offensive part the red zone stats after three games and the gold goal stats every carrier games because the Cowboys are only converting for the times.
Speaker 4: And three for eleven in the last two games. Yes, they were actually good in the red zone down on the goal line against the Giants, but since then, that's twenty seven percent the last two games in the red zone. All right, that does it for mixed shots on a Tuesday, and we will chat at you again tomorrow at noon.
Speaker 7: Goal Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club. Cowboy