Speaker 1: And welcome to Monday Show Morning Studio. I want to do this real quick.
Speaker 2: This is the guy that Lunchbox promised a toilet seat two and finally we all signed it and sent in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, dude, I mailed it.
Speaker 1: I told you my word. It took you.
Speaker 2: Forever, like a year, and I sent him a sign book. He just sent the message here.
Speaker 1: I do have it.
Speaker 4: I do have the sign book.
Speaker 5: It took a while, but you know what, man, sometimes you just gotta wait in line for good things.
Speaker 1: Because this is awesome. Best friends that I've ever received. Lunchbox finally made a dream come true. Thank you Lunchbox for.
Speaker 3: Sending that in.
Speaker 5: The shirts aren't my size, but hey, it'll be all right.
Speaker 1: We sent him a bunch of stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I stuck some Pimp and Joy shirts in there, some random shirts that were just.
Speaker 2: Leading a lunchbox, and then we got him a package. Anyway, I'm glad he has it. Oh that's all. He sounds happy.
Speaker 3: I'm a man of my word.
Speaker 2: No, No, we had to make you do it, and I had to sign a book I had to give him.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter.
Speaker 6: I'm glad he called and say thank you. You know, because I didn't even charge him for shipping.
Speaker 1: The company pay for shipping. I know you also didn't pay for shipping.
Speaker 3: Because you didn't let me charge him for the toilet seat.
Speaker 1: So that is that we can conclude that.
Speaker 3: It's anonymous By Anonymous sin By. Here's a question to.
Speaker 1: Love. I'm Booms.
Speaker 2: I've been dating my girlfriend for four years. She's been dropping hints about wanting to get engaged. I love her, I'm just not ready for marriage yet. I'm worried that if I don't propose soon, she'll get frustrated and leave. But I don't want to rush into something I'm not fully ready for. How can I explain this to her without hurting her feelings or ruining our relationship?
Speaker 1: Signed not ready to be a husband.
Speaker 2: Four years is a long time, and unless you're like twenty one, that's the only past you get. Where if you guys started dating when your teens, I'm going to assume that's not the case. I'm just gonna assume in your late twenties early to mid thirties. Bro, you gotta poopa get off the pot, because it's not fair to her to keep holding her hostage now.
Speaker 4: If that's what she wants which sounds like it is it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to go to Eddie first, because this is exactly what happened to him.
Speaker 1: Eddie.
Speaker 7: We were dating for six years when my wife was like, hey, either we do this or I'm out. And but literally, that is the first time that I even considered getting married because I was just like, hey, we're young, we're just having fun, like we're dating six years whatever. But like the first time she said that was the first time I thought, like, you know what, I don't want to lose her, like I don't I don't want to marry anyone else, So why don't I just marry her?
Speaker 1: Like, let's just do it. But it's the first time that even popped in my head. But she had to tell me that for that time. Shit, that just feels like it's not so weird that.
Speaker 4: It never popped in your head.
Speaker 5: Surely somebody said to you, like, all think am I getting married?
Speaker 1: Like family members? But they said that, I mean every friend and every family. What would you say to him.
Speaker 7: Dude, if you like her, if you think she is the one about love.
Speaker 4: If you don't want to lose her and you like her, then.
Speaker 7: Yeah, if she is the one in your mind, you marry her. I think the guys we're just never feel like we're ready to get married. It's a weird thing until you do it and you're like, man, this is the best thing that's happened to me.
Speaker 1: So I'll talk to.
Speaker 2: Him in his terms, which would be more miserable for you to be married or to lose her? There we go, because if you can't actually picture yourself being married and knowing how happy you're going to be, Okay, let's flip it and look at it in comparison. Are you gonna be more sad if you're not with her or more sad if you're married to her? And if the answer is not with it, she's gonna end up eventually going I'm we're more than just waiting around for you, So I'm out.
Speaker 1: So four years also is enough time to.
Speaker 4: Know he could get one of those shut up rings.
Speaker 1: I would encourage him not to call it that. If he gets any.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't even get no no ring. You're four years in. You're four years in, Like, shut up, I got your ring. We'll get married when you right. That's not good now, shut up ring. You can also get engaged for a decent amount of time.
Speaker 3: A couple of years.
Speaker 1: You don't call it a shut up ring.
Speaker 4: Well, that's what they call it on TikTok.
Speaker 1: They do. They shouldn't do that, but that's still an engagement ring. Yes, do you think you know if you're ready to get married in four years?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 1: I think, yes, you do.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you just need to be pressed to make a decision because otherwise some people just will not make a decision or the decisive people. Correct, Bro, what's gonna make you more miserable not having her or being married to her? You decide. But if she's awesome, I'm going to encourage you to go ahead and go for it. And if you love her, don't lose it.
Speaker 1: If he said you kind of like.
Speaker 4: Her, you like her?
Speaker 2: Yeah, good luck, Pooper, get off the pot. But Pooper, get off the pot. All right, that's the advice. Sants's probably a no, but at least we can address it and nobody will ask this question again. Ray, give me the voicemail from Hannah in Richmond, Virginia Morning Studio.
Speaker 1: I just wanted to ask the no longer.
Speaker 7: With man in uniform?
Speaker 9: Can we know what man in uniforms uniform was? I?
Speaker 2: Would love that.
Speaker 4: Thanks love the show.
Speaker 2: So Morgan dated a guy we call the man in Uniform Morgan your stage.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was in the army.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 2: First guest thought he worked a Chipotle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think Lunchbox thought he was a custodian. I wish you worked at Chipotle because out for sure we hit him up for a gift cards. It's the greatest gift card ever at Chipole. You if card is the greatest gift card everaged about? Uh? Okay, well, Morgan, thank you for sharing that. Yep. Also, bringing it up feels kind of sore. Still, you know, I.
Speaker 4: Don't, So it's fine.
Speaker 1: Hannah, thanks for nothing. Now you brought it up.
Speaker 2: Now it's all weird, all right, Morgan, thank you your.
Speaker 1: Pile of stories.
Speaker 5: So travelers are opting for tattoos to remember their vacations or rather than any type of like souvenir they.
Speaker 4: Might pick up.
Speaker 1: Get a coffee cup or shot glass.
Speaker 3: Get a coffee cup.
Speaker 1: Unless you're Cavandie and you want tattoos everywhere. That's too many tattoos.
Speaker 4: You can get like a little like.
Speaker 2: Hawaii, I mean Hawaii's if you get to Hawaii, maybe you do get that one a little long water.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you can do a little like single needle, you know, like even just like the initials of the city or something.
Speaker 2: Too much work to get something tiny TINYU? What about like us if we're traveling a lot, like every tour shop, that's fuck it. I think if it's a really significant vacation or something cool, any moment cool, but.
Speaker 1: Every vacation, church camp, nine, what else.
Speaker 5: So it looks like one minute phone breaks might be really good for students and they're focused.
Speaker 4: So you know this week your kids have.
Speaker 5: Their phone at school, because sometimes I tell my kids, like, why are you texting me?
Speaker 4: You should be focusing at school.
Speaker 5: But what they're learning from some research is if teachers say, hey, you can have a one minute phone break, not longer than that, it's sixty seconds, students feel like they can check in on their phone. They can maybe send a quick text to their parent or their friend and then put their phone away, and then they're not tempted to kind of sneak it, or their brain is thinking about their phone and it allows them to focus more.
Speaker 4: That's cool.
Speaker 1: It seems like trouble to me, for sure.
Speaker 2: You ever heard this saying you give a kid a one minute phone break, they end up using it for an hour.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, wow, give them an inch they take a yard, Well that's a mine.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, but I mean.
Speaker 4: You give it to them. They have to build away.
Speaker 5: But then they can focus on what they need to focus on instead of thinking about their phone.
Speaker 4: I mean that could work for adults too.
Speaker 1: I think in between classes, when you have a phone out, that's.
Speaker 7: Great and amy you think they're gonna call you in that one minute, No got news for you.
Speaker 2: They're gonna get a snapchat, snapchat and yeah some stuff they probably don't need.
Speaker 4: To be snapchat on Snapchat. No, trust me, yours my son's on. He's trying to be.
Speaker 5: He's just now gotten to the point where he's asking me about TikTok and Snapchat. But he's got a fear of TikTok because all the China stuff, and he's just like, oh, I don't want them looking at me. So I was like, oh, well, I hear Snapchat is Russia and because he has a fear of Russia.
Speaker 4: Too, and he's like, oh well, never mind.
Speaker 5: He's lost he's lost interest.
Speaker 1: Because now what's going to be In Mexico. He got slow North Korea.
Speaker 5: Every Okay, it's whatever he hears in the news that creates fear. I'm like, oh, well, and maybe this stands out to me because I'm dating. But there's this whole story about how cushion is a new dating term and it's where you're dating someone like on the regular, but you cushion it with like a few other people that you're talking to in case it falls through.
Speaker 1: I have a friend named Sally. I think this was happening too.
Speaker 2: Oh, listen to the show, you know, the I Think Sally hypothetical. Sally, I think this was happening to cushion. I don't know for sure, but that's also called just dating other people. Back in my day it was called it was called you're not defined in the relationship, so you just date a bunch of people.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 4: My therapist has been talking to me about it.
Speaker 5: Anytime I bring certain things up, She's like, Amy, I think this is just adult dating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's dating in general.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, I'm Amy. That's my pile.
Speaker 3: That was Amy's pile of stories.
Speaker 8: So it's time for the good news.
Speaker 5: So I want a shout out VIP Service Dog Foundation in Illinois because they are one of the mini groups out there that's providing service dogs to veterans. And what's really cool about these groups is these dogs are so expensive, like thirty thousand dollars per dog for all the training and everything. But when they gift one of these dogs to a veteran, it changes their life. And there's just a story about a Marine Corps veteran, Sean Smith who has physical neurological injuries after three tours of duty and he got his dog and he.
Speaker 4: Said it's just changed his life so much joy piece.
Speaker 5: Before he got his dog, it was a struggle, a daily fight to wake up. And now he's got his writer dive partner and he can get out of Betty's here every day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they are so expensive and they're not even French bulldogs. Oh not, you would think that's be what it was that price. I've we on the show have bought service dogs for our military. I've also worked with different organizations and you'd be shocked to want how much they help and too again how expensive they are because of all the training they have to go, but also how like discipline they are.
Speaker 1: My dogs can't do any of that crap. Could they be any kind of dog. That could be a chihuahua. No, no, that's to be like I want to go no, okay to check it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think a bulldog either, Like I think Stanley would be, like, I'm tired, I'm not gonna do this today.
Speaker 1: A great story, that's what it's all about. That was telling me something good.
Speaker 2: I'm blown away that Eddie thinks he has a catchphrase, and he thinks he has like two the people know him.
Speaker 1: For Eddie has a catchphrase. You guys know it.
Speaker 9: You know it.
Speaker 2: Don't tell us what it is because I don't know it. And he's like, hey, do you know my catchphrase? And if you have to ask anybody if they know your catch phrase, you don't want to have to catchphrase?
Speaker 1: What do you think it's catchphrases too?
Speaker 3: Toto?
Speaker 1: Oh no, that's a saw. That's my uncle. That's his winning song.
Speaker 3: That's all I think. People know him.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, no, I have a catchphrase. I say it all the time. Oh if we have to debate it, we don't know your catch bra.
Speaker 3: Not debating, you're just trying to debating that you even have one.
Speaker 1: Oh, I've got is it? Is it?
Speaker 4: Bones?
Speaker 2: That's that's Bobby's calls me, I know or I'm you have to prove my point. I like it, guys, you know it.
Speaker 3: I'm Bobby's no can say that. No, go ahead's it, I'm Bobby's bee.
Speaker 4: No what that's what it's catchphrase could be.
Speaker 3: That's your problem, man, I'm trying. I'm trying to think of what your catch brains could be.
Speaker 4: I want to donate an organ.
Speaker 2: Oh, I want to say I want to do something that seems very selfless and never get to it.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 4: I'm a I'm a I spend four hours a day with all of my kids working.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we don't know your catchphrase? You do know it. Don't tell to what we know? What is your Give me your catchphrase?
Speaker 3: Let's go?
Speaker 4: I don't know a lot of people say that. That's like a school thing.
Speaker 1: Right, that's my catch phrase. That's not your catch phrase. What do you mean? He say, here's me doing my catchphrase?
Speaker 2: Ready, Yeah, that's that's that's the same thing.
Speaker 5: That's what people say.
Speaker 1: And everybody says that. Everybody let's go, but not the way I say it. Let's go. That's not a catchphrase. They could put that in a video game. Man, I don't have a catchphrase. I don't know. That's what everybody says.
Speaker 3: Okay, everybody knows me is yes, no, no, sorry?
Speaker 2: What do you have another one? Or is that just the only one? I always say, like, that's crazy.
Speaker 1: Those aren't catchphrases. Those are generic terms people say all the time.
Speaker 9: I don't know, but I say it all the time.
Speaker 1: Say something, Uh, you saying you have a catchphrase?
Speaker 7: Huh, that's crazy. But guys, I think in our profession, what we do, we need a catchphrase, like you need to be known for something, bones, what's your catchphrase?
Speaker 1: I don't really have a catchphrase, or a couple of things that I know. I say a lot.
Speaker 2: I think accidentally on tell me something good for some reason, I just was looking for a button to in that segment, and I'd be like, that's what it's all about.
Speaker 1: That's good. But I don't that sound catch phrase? But see, isn't that Looney Tunes? No, that's all folks.
Speaker 9: Sorry. Different.
Speaker 2: But the other one that I think I say a lot, and I didn't make it up, And catch phrases are rarely made up. They're just not so generic. I think I say that showbiz baby a lot. That's that's even Lunchbox tries to say my phrase base is it wrong?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 5: Then now that makes you that is you say that a lot, and that makes me the lunchboxes, which is like a businessman makes a business deal.
Speaker 1: Munch catch phrases you don't, no, no, no, I do. Let's go that's a catchphrase.
Speaker 6: Like if you watch Patrick Malmes, he does that too, Like let's receiver gets a big catch They stayed.
Speaker 3: Up, like let's go.
Speaker 1: Your tone is your phrase?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Are you the only one that says are you the only one says it's that showbiz baby?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 9: But you say you say.
Speaker 1: I think who else? None of the lust can identify with what your catch phrase was. Yeah, that's a problem. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's gotta be catchy er because you're not inventing words or something that you say that many people don't say, Like I don't know why people it's an old term, for sure, it's an old term like that show bifty baby, like that show biz baby. And that's why I don't know why I started saying it. But I say it a lot now, and so that would be catch.
Speaker 1: Phrasey does amy have one? I don't think so.
Speaker 9: Like, no, No, I'm.
Speaker 4: Not sure that's a crutch.
Speaker 2: I was talking about therapist was.
Speaker 3: Talking went out with a guy friend and my.
Speaker 5: Friend, Hey, it is my friend, my friend Eddie.
Speaker 1: Don't have a catch phrase, buddy, man.
Speaker 7: I was listening to podcasts and there's this guy that he was hosting, and every time he go to an interview, but all right, here's the interview with this person.
Speaker 1: Let's get down.
Speaker 3: And I was like, that is.
Speaker 2: Awesome, that's cool, Like it sets it up in a different way. Let's let's get down.
Speaker 4: That is the thing, a thing.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 1: No, that's not yours.
Speaker 7: Ray, Ray has you Yes, But what's different than the yeah and let's go.
Speaker 6: He is known for saying that I don't even remember you ever saying let's go.
Speaker 1: But I don't think it's a catchphrase.
Speaker 2: No one in the history of the world will go like, oh, yeah, there's something. Guy is always just let's go.
Speaker 1: No, maybe I should say it more than no. I think you should come up with it.
Speaker 3: Come up every segment about this. Before we sat on the segment go let's go.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow, bring me like five options tomorrow of what a new catchphrase of yours would be.
Speaker 1: Okay, and and it should be a bit. It's gotta be original. It should be semi original. It doesn't have to be like something new. It could.
Speaker 2: It could be new to the times like that show biz baby. It's not something that a lot of twenty thirty four year.
Speaker 1: Olds say, daddy up. Okay, that's I've never heard that before. Because but if you are like everybody, get in, daddy up.
Speaker 9: Daddy up.
Speaker 1: Let's go pitch me something tomorrow. Okay, I think about it. Okay, you did not have a catchphrase.
Speaker 8: All right, there we go on the Bobby Bone Show.
Speaker 1: Now, buddy, how are you good to see? I guess I don't know.
Speaker 2: I see on social media line I feel like, and then I saw in the parking lot a couple a few weeks ago.
Speaker 1: It's weird.
Speaker 2: Social media is weird because you feel like you're kind of stay in touch with people. And I guess you and I will text and miss each other about playing pickleball about once every two weeks. You're like, hey, are you went down? Nope, all right, gonna say if you don't play pickleball. So yeah, I feel like I've seen you, but we really haven't hung out or anything.
Speaker 1: But everything's good.
Speaker 2: Everything's good, man. Just social media says you're good, and social media doesn't lie, so that's true.
Speaker 9: That's true.
Speaker 2: I ran into Chris and his wife and kids, my wife and I did. We're in the parking lot of a place, and so we hung out and talked for a while, and we naturally did the junior high dance move where the boys went to one side and the girls went and the girls went to the other side, and we were all like talking, Yeah, what's family life like now kids are older?
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's good.
Speaker 10: Dunton's three, Baker is about to turn two in about ten days, and then Dunton's in school. We just did parent teacher conferences yesterday, which was very funny for the first time.
Speaker 9: They were great.
Speaker 10: They spoke very highly of him, that he was a silent leader in class and that he's really good at following directions. And I'm like, man, I'm glad he's doing that at school because he's terrible at that home.
Speaker 1: Who do you think who's the role follower in your family?
Speaker 2: Lauren?
Speaker 10: Her and her dad are too much of a rule follower, Like it drives me crazy because I don't break rules, but I don't like follow them, follow them, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Maybe you just don't.
Speaker 10: Well, I would say I've been Yeah, that's the best story.
Speaker 9: I've been to them a little bit.
Speaker 1: There are times where I will not learn the rules on purpose.
Speaker 2: So therefore, if I don't follow them, it's not because I didn't break them. I just never knew them. So maybe that's what you are. You create your own path because you didn't know how to drive a car.
Speaker 9: Why didn't I say it? That's why? Exactly?
Speaker 1: Like did you know you did the wrong? I'm like, no, tell me more.
Speaker 2: I want to talk about the new song first of all, because I get two sort. You got a single that's climbing the charts, but you also have this new song called If I Die Before You. So I'm gonna let you You ever have those books back as a kid where it's like choose your own adventure?
Speaker 1: Which one would you like to talk about? First? You want to Find Another Bar?
Speaker 9: Yeah, we can talk about that one.
Speaker 1: That one's and I'm gonna play it. Yeah, I'm gonna play it. So tell me about find Another Bar?
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 10: So I feel like everybody kind of got to know me as the love song guy over the years, you know, with I Don't Know about you take back Homegirl for her big plans all in a row there, and I kind of just felt like it was time to do something different, show people a different side of me. Obviously, I've been through heartbreak in my life, so it's something I can easily sing about and relate to. And I just felt like this was my take on a breakup song that I felt like had. I mean, there's been a million breakup songs, but I felt like this one was different in a little different way.
Speaker 2: I was like when artists, writers, creators try to find a new way to say the same thing. And I think that's the constant in song creation, even in writing books. Or I think it's love, heartbreak lost. There are these certain fundamental elements and it's how do you approach and talk about it in a different way?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 2: And but we have not heard a song about how somebody broke up with you and you killed them.
Speaker 1: Have you guys thought about that?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 2: No, I don't know, just a different way to think about it, you know, or like you stalk them.
Speaker 1: Your song wasn't that, But I was thinking, like, how do you approach it? I love song that Chris right. Have you ever thought just trying to think of different.
Speaker 8: There on the Bobby Bones Show.
Speaker 2: Now, if your hair is longer, I don't reckonize you standing in there, I was like, who's the hobo?
Speaker 1: I know it looks good. No, it looks good.
Speaker 10: I can't decide like my wife wants it short. I prefer it a little bit longer. You know.
Speaker 9: I can cut it shorter the older I get.
Speaker 4: But that kind of both because it's like short on the sidelong and the.
Speaker 10: That's true, it's almost a mullet. Yeah, it's kind of in between.
Speaker 1: Do you ever have a mullet?
Speaker 2: Because you're from from the South, I'm from the South. Everybody had a mull out at some point. Do you ever have a good one?
Speaker 10: Yeah? Honestly, it's about like it is now. I kept it a little more tame. I can't go super long like that wouldn't be my vibe. But where's that right now is? I probably won't let it it much longer, But it's in the shape of one kind of.
Speaker 2: When did you start playing music and then when did it get serious? And I want to ask how that relates to because I know you were an athlete as well, so what age did you start learning that you like music as far as to play, and then when did you go I'm committed to this.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I loved music, you know, growing up, I love singing along to the radio. But as a sports guy, my brother and I both we were just football, baseball, basketball in season. That's all we did. And so it wasn't until I was graduating college. I had to go back for one class to graduate in that half year. So four and a half years of graduated, and during the downtime where we didn't have baseball anymore, you know, I was done with my four years. I started learning how to play the guitar, and I became very passionate about that. I'd been to a ton of Kenny Chesney concerts, Keith Urpan concerts, and honestly, watching Keith just made me want to learn how to play the guitar, and it kind of grew into a passion.
Speaker 1: Did you ever sing there before playing guitar?
Speaker 10: No, I mean, just luckily, just along with the radio. So my last semester I got good enough on the guitar that I could just play three or four songs, and I would go to this open mic night right there by the college and all the fraternity sororities, all my baseball guys would come up there and hang out, and people would really encourage me. I would do this little medley that had a bunch of hip hop songs in it, and people seemed to like that a lot. And then I would cover like an al Dean song, an Eric Church song, and people would just encourage me, though, Man, you should try to do something with this. So after I graduated, I moved back to Kernersville, North Carolina, where I grew up at and just started putting a lot of work into it, driving people crazy trying to sing and play at the same time, you know, which is very hard to them.
Speaker 9: Yeah, when you're.
Speaker 10: First trying to figure out the guitar, it's hard to sing and strum at the same time. But I think being an athlete kind of helped me learn a little bit quicker on that. And once I learned one song, man, I became so passionate about music. I just wanted to learn all of my favorite songs, and that eventually led me into starting a band. Back then, it was the Chris Lane Band. I didn't put much thought into it, as I had no idea that that would ever lead to a record deal, but so pretty crazy.
Speaker 1: Why did you get on say it the very first time?
Speaker 2: I know you're playing, but that's a big move to not spend years as a kid learning music and just like I'm gonna play guitar, but now I'm gonna go get on stage where people can hear me sing.
Speaker 1: I don't know, like, were you Do you feel like you were a call just to get on stage? Where you nervous?
Speaker 2: Did you feel like you were gonna do it once and then realize you maybe you didn't want to do it.
Speaker 10: I think the first time I got on stage, I was certainly very nervous.
Speaker 1: Why would you even do it the first time?
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 10: I think I just was so passionate about it and having so much fun just playing in my bedroom.
Speaker 1: Every day, and those shyness huh and no.
Speaker 10: And I just kind of, you know, like I said, I was getting encouragement from the people that would watch me play those three songs every Wednesday night it open mic night, and that's cool. Yeah, yeah, they would build me up. So I kind of just ran with that a little bit. But yeah, first show is incredibly nervous.
Speaker 1: Did you sing.
Speaker 10: I was shaky like the first four songs, and then I relaxed in and after that night I had so much fun. I was like, Man, I want to do this every night for the rest of my life. So I just continue to put the work in. It got some guys in the band that could actually play really well, and yeah, there for years in North Carolina, I just grinded it out and got to the point to where I could play, you know, four or five shows a week, mostly covers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, especially when you first started out.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and then I started writing my own music, which eventually led me to getting a record deal and moving to Nashville. Because I'd never even been to Nashville prior to getting all my first meetings.
Speaker 2: Well, you didn't come a bunch of times, and that's a weird order of it happening.
Speaker 1: How do they find you?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 1: Who found you?
Speaker 10: So I think some of the William Morris agents started flying out to watch some shows, and word got around because what had happened was much like Brantley Gilbert and some of these guys. I had built up a massive Southeast following, so not just in North Carolina, but I was able to go out into like Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and I was able to sell out the same rooms that a lot of the guys from Nashville who had songs on the radio would come play. So I think that's eventually how I ended up with the record deal, as people started flying out saying, who is this guy doing? Get all on his own and selling out the same venues, And.
Speaker 2: That's pretty cool that that's how it happened, because rarely does someone have people come to them and go, hey, we really like you. We'd like to offer you some sort of plan to have a record deal. But you've never been to Nashville. You know most of the stories, even people that are awesome have to come here, oh yeah and have and you would probably coommend people you need to go to Nashville because that's kind of how it happens. So but you built it up by just playing a whole bunch of shows. What was the first song I'm gonna make you go back into the depths of your brain? Here was the first song you ever played publicly on a microphone?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: What would have been the one you were so comfortable with you thought, I can do this my very first song I'm going to perform this.
Speaker 9: Like just cover song.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it covers song that you ever did in front of people, like at one of these open mics.
Speaker 10: Wow, that's a great question. I know it was either al Dean hick Town.
Speaker 1: Is that an easy one to play? Like Cornille?
Speaker 10: No? No, no, it was. I was terrible at playing it. I'm still terrible at playing Sometimes I go back and I'm like, oh, I could not figure this song out before because it's like got bar cords.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're like throwing f's in there, I would like I for me, it'd be like smash Mouth. I'm a believer, but like the Monkeys because it was like this, it's just CG the whole time, but you're like going bar courts.
Speaker 10: If I could see a video of my performance of that song, I would be on my knees dying laughing.
Speaker 9: That's pretty fun. And then uh, an Eric Church song.
Speaker 10: I can't tell you what it is, maybe your Love Love, your Love the Most or something like that. But I remember playing that song a lot. Could have been a Keith Urban song too. I mean, yeah, he's trying to play solo.
Speaker 2: It's like, you know, I tracked the Keith Urban solo, and I look back and it wasn't that good. Your brother, it's your twin brother, and you guys look very similar because you are twins?
Speaker 1: Are you guys? Really?
Speaker 2: You have the twins that come out what's that called fraternal? You're like in the same bunk turn what's called identical?
Speaker 1: Yeah? But then what's the other one?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're you live in different bunks?
Speaker 9: Fraternal?
Speaker 1: That's is it?
Speaker 9: With it?
Speaker 1: For a peep? So which one of you and your brother are identical? Twins?
Speaker 9: Identical?
Speaker 1: Yeh? Did he do music when you did? Or did he see you were doing music? Was like, hey, also should learn how to do music.
Speaker 10: Uh, yeah, that's kind of exactly what happened. I think he was experiencing some fomo of me being out there playing music in front of peeps, even though it was just a few songs on those wind at Wednesday nights. But he bought an electronic drum set and started learning how to play on that, and he was like, I'll just start learning how to play the drums and we should start doing something together. So I was like, all right, So he just sat down started learning how to play the drums. Was really bad for a very long time, much like I was on the guitar. And this is actually a funny story, but when I got a record deal, he was still really bad in comparison to guys you would get in Nashville who just crushed back there. He had a lot of learning to do. So when I eventually signed there at Big Loud, which was at the time kind of what Florida Georgia Line had done. It was just a publishing, production and management deal. They wanted me to hire somebody from Nashville, which I think they had kind of had to do with the FGL as well.
Speaker 9: But I'm like, this is my twin brother. Man, the way I can.
Speaker 10: Do this to him, Like he's put so much work in, I think he'll eventually get there. And he put a lot of hard work in over the years to get to where he is now, which is great. He's great back there. He still keeps time like sneakers in a dryer. But we make it through the show, all right.
Speaker 2: That's sneakers and a dryer. That's a pretty funny term. You're going up to flats, that's awesome. Oh my gosh, their friends of mine and I'm super happy screaming for a year for them to get back together, and I saw that you're going out with them.
Speaker 10: That's really exciting, man, huge, It's huge for me. I'm very excited. I toured with those guys back in seventeen. I believe it was right when I had fix out, my very first song.
Speaker 9: Kelsey Ballerini was a part of that tour as well.
Speaker 10: I was the first of three, but I got to know them really well, spent time with all of them, and just became great friends. We still kept in touch all these years later, and now you know, I'm with Jay on his record label, on his record label, and he kept telling me that they were considering going back out, and I'm like, man, at all costs, I've got to be a part of this tour. Because I was a part of the twentieth anniversary tours direct support when COVID happened.
Speaker 9: And we didn't get to.
Speaker 10: Happen, you know, and I was I felt like I was on I want to call it a rocket ship, but I was definitely going into the peak of my career at that point, off of coming off of big plans at the time, so it would have been an incredible moment to be a part of that tour. So I'm so thankful that they asked me to come back out and be a part of this twenty fifth anniversary.
Speaker 9: I cannot wait to tour with those guys.
Speaker 1: That's gonna be fun. That's gonna just the vibe and the energy of the crowd is gonna be fun.
Speaker 9: I agree.
Speaker 1: And they haven't been.
Speaker 2: Broken up for twenty years, but it feels that way. Yeah, and so every gonna react that way like they're back together.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, and it's like, yeah, we were funny.
Speaker 10: One of the funniest things that I remember when I first toured with them is I would give Gary a random word every single night, and he always had to find a way to sing it into a song. And I have to give my man credit. The first word I ever gave him. It's a stupid word, but I said raccoon. I'm like, there's no way he could literally sing this into a song. Not only did he use the word raccoon in a song, but he proceeded to use it in every single song.
Speaker 9: That he sang for the rest of the night.
Speaker 1: That's funny. Broken Road brought the Raccoons.
Speaker 10: I think the first song we used it in was they were singing I wish I could rewind. He was like, I wish I had a raccoon, but he would, you know, do a bunch of runs.
Speaker 1: And I was like, what I do? Like, I'm not sure what he just said.
Speaker 2: So Chris has got some dates of his own Waco, Akron, Ohio, Lexington, Birmingham, Alabama, Buffalo, and Rochester all the way through November of this year.
Speaker 1: So get tickets at im Chris Lane dot com.
Speaker 2: Then the Life is a Highway tour which is coming up with Rascal Flats.
Speaker 1: So what's the Rascal Flats fixed story?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 10: So when I was torn with those guys, they would do you know, they would go do their interview first, Kelsey would do hers, and then I would go in and do mine. They told this story, and you know, those guys, they can make anything believable and they feed off of each other and they're very good at it. So they told this story about how they were so proud of me and everything that I had overcome, that they were you know, honored to have me out on their tour and that my song. And the person who's interview them, they're like, what exactly are you talking? What did he overcome the right. You didn't hear he's singing about it and his song Fixed. You know, he had a really bad meth addiction where he lost his teeth and as part of me into the tour gift, we're going to give him a new set of teeth and he's like overcoming, like just all this stuff.
Speaker 9: And they made it really believable.
Speaker 10: So I get into my interview, I have no clue that they've done that, and the girl's like asking me about it, and I'm like, are you trying to punk at me right now?
Speaker 2: Is this?
Speaker 10: And she's like, well, Rascal Flats just told me about everything that you've overcome.
Speaker 9: And I'm like what. So she plays it for me and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, oh my god, I cannot believe they did.
Speaker 9: That was very funny.
Speaker 10: So from there on out, every tour stop it turned into them making up stories about me and me making up stories about them.
Speaker 9: It was so much fun and I learned.
Speaker 2: I actually learned that sound dangerous because eventually it gets to a point where it's like, you know, the murdered someone Garry Garry Box and Diddy we're best friends. Yeah, It's like, you know him and Epstein used to fly together, but it just gets to a place where.
Speaker 1: It's like, not, yes, that's that's funny.
Speaker 8: Here we go on the Bobby Bone Show.
Speaker 2: Now you still go to Planet Fitness and just work out with random folks.
Speaker 10: Man, I I do on the road, yes, but here at the house. I work out at my country club.
Speaker 1: Dang, that's cool. What a flex? What a flex?
Speaker 2: He wouldn't say, No, I go to my I go to especially He goes no. You know, I might be just small town boy from North Carolina, but I got a country club. Now, once you have three number ones, you get a country club.
Speaker 1: And look at you, fruit, Fruit? Do you drink your tea with the pinky out while you're doing your curls or what?
Speaker 9: I don't have the pinky out?
Speaker 2: Man, Dang this guy. Let's talk about the song that just came out. If I die before you, so, I don't know what you like about this song when you.
Speaker 10: Heard it, Oh my gosh, everything there is to like about a song. I loved about this one. This is going to be one of those songs that I wish I had written. It took two years or a year and a half to two years for this song to make its way to me because there were other artists who had it. So when it got played for me on accident, I fell in love with everything about the song, but then realized I couldn't have it because somebody else was recording it. So I had to wait this song out for a year and a half. I prayed so hard that it would eventually find its way back to me, and it did. And I feel like this is a I'm praying that it is, but I feel like this is a career changing type song.
Speaker 2: We're gonna play it now here is If I Die Before You From Chris Lane. Chris, it is always good to see you, buddy.
Speaker 9: Great to see you as well, Bud.
Speaker 2: And one day we're just Chris and I are just a relationship of Hey, are you in town?
Speaker 1: Nope, that's it. It's one after the other. You know your town Nope.
Speaker 9: At some point we're gonna play the second one.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, we're gonna be at the same place at the same time. Uh yeah. Really rooting for you. Congrats on everything with Jay and the new record deal.
Speaker 9: Thank you brother.
Speaker 1: This is James from Virginia. Morning corny for me. Do you know what a Jennis's favorite day of the.
Speaker 2: Year of Halloween.
Speaker 9: And on that note, what.
Speaker 2: I've done for the past several years is I go to my beloved local bank.
Speaker 1: I get one hundred crift two dollars bills and that's my hand out.
Speaker 7: No double differ.
Speaker 1: I love bove.
Speaker 9: Family at Galloween.
Speaker 4: Everybody, no double dip thing, mach.
Speaker 2: I like James Virginia. It's not something. I didn't get the joke at first because it's not really a joke. It's like candy rot teeth. Yeah, and then how I yelled at I thought there was something to doing to that, right, Yeah, I know that's a very yes. And then he gets away two dollar bills. That's a that's a heck of a place to go. Knock on that door. If somebody leaves out a whole bowl of candy lunch box you, oh my god, and you're with your kids.
Speaker 3: Grab it?
Speaker 1: What do you teach them?
Speaker 3: Grab as much you want?
Speaker 1: It's there? What if they're like, we want to take it all all right?
Speaker 3: I mean they might, they're gonna learn it sooner or later.
Speaker 1: What do you mean learn it sooner later? What learn what?
Speaker 3: You're gonna take it all?
Speaker 6: I mean by I mean another two years are going to learn it on their own, so I might as well be the one to teach them that.
Speaker 1: Yes, the bowl, Well why can't you teach them? Hey, they left it out. You can have a couple here there.
Speaker 6: Okay, you want to tell them that, and then in two years they're gonna come back to back.
Speaker 1: Dad.
Speaker 3: You lied to me. You can take the whole bull.
Speaker 1: No you didn't. You didn't lie to them.
Speaker 2: You could say it is like to grab, but if you take some and you'll leave some for others, everybody wins.
Speaker 6: I still remember that guy, the Scarecrow or like Frankenstein, sitting there with a bowl in the lap, and it was just like, oh, please take one, And I was like yeah, right, and I stuck my hand in there to take the whole thing, and.
Speaker 1: Frankn Son grabbed me. It was real, was real, God, him.
Speaker 6: Sitting on a chair on the walkway up to that front door. And I can still take you to the house.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: It was crazy. How old I was, like twelve, Oh, you're way too.
Speaker 1: Old for track. Well it was he shouldn't be trigger trading at twelve.
Speaker 2: Border line orderliney, you got underarm hair when you had under our hair, you's gonna start thinking about maybe not trading.
Speaker 3: No, you're only in seventh grade.
Speaker 1: I think high school. High school was when you stopped I love to wear childhood. I guess. Yeah, that's funny.
Speaker 8: Though, It's time for the good news.
Speaker 9: Ready.
Speaker 7: Mark is a grandpa, but he's also a triathlon runner biker.
Speaker 2: Don't they called tratholet daddy tritholbthlete.
Speaker 9: No, you're not.
Speaker 1: We both did Olympic travel.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I knew Bobby did day I didn't know one.
Speaker 1: Well that's cool.
Speaker 3: Well Mark is too.
Speaker 7: And he was in the middle of one of his big rides that he does every day. He was sixteen miles in. We started feeling tired. He's like, man, I gotta get off my bike. He starts huffing and puffing, and then luckily the driver Molly is driving by and says, hey, what's up with that?
Speaker 3: Guy checks on him. Here are you okay?
Speaker 1: He's like, no, I don't feel good.
Speaker 7: You might want to call nine one one, And as soon as he was saying that, he passes out. So Molly called nine one one, gets on the phone. Dispatcher's like, hey, starts CPR and right away she talks. He talks Molly into how to do CPR. Molly's doing CPR for seven minutes. Then the first responders show up. They bring him back to life, but it turns out that he was out for thirty minutes under cardiac wress.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, welling about seven minutes of NonStop CPR on somebody like seven minutes, I feel like until like forever, yeah, and like I I mean, after like a minute, I'd be like, I'm tired, I'm gonna get like, I guess if he's not coming, he's not coming, you know, seven minutes, I joke, but that's a long time.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 2: And also to slow down when someone's riding their bike and be like are you okay?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Also, he must distressed, game must look real bad.
Speaker 2: But I would just think he's tired from riding a bike totally like you see the rest. I don't know that I would have the awareness to be like, here, are you okay? It turns into like traffic talk with other parts. And then also I'm assaulted that Eddie said no, we weren't try athletes.
Speaker 7: I knew you had done one, I didn't know you were were triathletes.
Speaker 4: And I'm a marathoner and.
Speaker 2: Are you Eddy no either you Actually I hate her, that's what you are. This is a cool story, though, that is a great story. Good for her and good for them for bringing her back to life. That's what it's all about. That was telling me something good.
Speaker 1: For the morning Corny.
Speaker 3: The morning Corny.
Speaker 4: What a ghost put in their hot cocoa?
Speaker 1: What a ghost putting their hot cocoa?
Speaker 4: Whip scream, this is d.
Speaker 1: That was the morning Corny. It's just all the jokes are exactly. Didn't get that one, oos and scream, I know, I hear you. No, we we appreciate sheets. And yeah, yes.
Speaker 4: Is a baby? Go swear? What a pillowcase?
Speaker 1: What is a baby? Ghost?
Speaker 4: Like, go to wear sheets? It's a baby?
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, no, no, a pillow case?
Speaker 1: That might that's bad.
Speaker 3: Really, I think it's a good lunch.
Speaker 6: Thought that was actually a decent one, almost like that's.
Speaker 1: Actually ghost, that's a fake.
Speaker 4: But the baby goes it's because you adult.
Speaker 7: Go to sh.
Speaker 1: Don't don't wear sheets?
Speaker 4: You do if you're gonna goes, it's a sheet.
Speaker 2: And that is the end of the first half of the podcast. Is the end of the first half of the podcast.
Speaker 9: The podcast.
Speaker 1: That is the end the first time of the podcast.
Speaker 2: You can go to a podcast to or you can wait till podcast to come out.