Speaker 1: I am all in again.
Speaker 2: Lukes Diner with Scott Patterson an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey Everybody, Scott Patterson, I am all in podcast one Elevemn Productions. iHeartMedia Radio, I heart Podcast. Luke's Diner, Episode one on one interview with the amazing Yes I said it amazing Alisa A.
Speaker 3: Donovan.
Speaker 1: You know her as Amber from Clueless, both the movie and the TV series, and recently on Worst Cooks in America. Here she is, Alisa. Welcome to Luke's Diner.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I'm so happy to be here.
Speaker 1: It's great to have you. Were very excited you were on Worst Cooks in America Select Edition. What made you say yes to doing a cooking show like this?
Speaker 2: I was, well, I grew up in a household with a mom who absolutely despised cooking, like she was anti the kitchen. Yet she loved to have dinner parties, so we would have a lot of people over and those people would be drunk and starving. So I literally had to like teach myself how to cook. So when they asked me to do this, I was like, oh, I definitely want to do this because one I want to learn sort of how to be better at it, but also I knew, like I felt like I had some skills, and then you get there and it is like it's one of the hardest things I've ever done, right, it was like it was difficult but so fun.
Speaker 1: So you know, before you went on the show, what was the best dish that you could cook up? What's your favorite?
Speaker 2: So I love what I did. The first thing I did on the show was a beef tenderline with rosemary. That is like because you know, if you can use a thermometer, it's like a pretty, you know, decent and if the butcher can tie it up for you, it's like a lot of steps that someone else does and then you just sort of have to check in on it. But what I really really love to make now is bolonaise. But I do it like in my own sort of style because I'm an essentially organic eater, like grass fed beef and organic vegetables and all that, so I kind of add and I have a cow dairy allergy, so I substitute everything with goat or sheep, so this like yummy bolonaise with I put a lot of vegetables in there, which is not traditional, like baby broccoli and kale, and spinach and arugula just to like get it as you know, nutritious as possible. And it takes a long time, which I love.
Speaker 1: And you're you're using this on any manner of pasta.
Speaker 2: Yes, I love this. This is another thing I tried to make. It was funny because Anne Gosh, I just love her and I am I'm so so terribly sad to hear that she is not with us. I kind of can't haven't really metabolized that yet. But she was like she was so encouraging and then also super scary. So she would like say something like that's right, Yes, you got it, and then she would say, why would you ask me that I just told you. It was like always super on your haa, on the edge of your seat. But so the pasta I try, I remembered. I'm like, oh, there is this pasta from this place and NAPA and they it's lemon feticini. So it's like lemon infused fetuccini. And so when we made pasta on the show, I went, I'm going to impress her because I'm going to embed the lemon in there. And she had this moment where she was like, oh, that seems really sort of impressive, you know, but then I couldn't really execute it, but she was impressed with the idea. So generally you can put put with any pasta, but I love this lemon.
Speaker 1: Fetuccini, all right, And did you do you add some a little bit of pasta water to the bolognaise so it sticks to thee.
Speaker 2: So I didn't realize this was important until a very good friend of mine who comes from a big Italian family, and she and her husband and their kids were our families or friends, and they came over for the bolonese and I had this moment of like, am I really making bolonise for an Italian woman? Like what is wrong with me? But her husband loves it. And then just as I was changing the watch, she's like, oh no, take some of the pasta water. Like she was there at that specific moment and taught me that that's what you're supposed to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I thought it was the opposite, that you're supposed to get rid of it, like rinse it out, rinse it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, the minute I learned to do that, my family looked at me in a whole different way, in a whole new way. Wait, respect it was like, yeah, you made its stick to the pasta.
Speaker 2: De right, Yeah, it's impressive.
Speaker 1: Tell me, was there a moment when you reconsidered your choice to be on the show. Oh, what was the most difficult part.
Speaker 2: About so many times? First of all, I've never worked that many hours in a row, you know TV we worked like fifteen hours norm this was human It's seventeen eighteen. And in fact, Anne said the first week, so it was maybe our third or fourth day, it was two o'clock in the morning, and she said, I just want to say, this is the longest day in history on Worst Cooks in America. Like, we were sort of like waffling around, like you're starting to hallucinate, and then you're like, oh my god, I have a sharp knife, like things are on their flames. You're like, this is dangerous. And then getting and I felt like and I like what did I sign up for? And then but every we're all in the same boat, you know, you know, and then you're like going back to the hotel and everybody's like, are we are we? Are we going back? Are we all going to go back? Like? Are we going to tomorrow? You know, maybe we're all going to band together and just like jump into the Hudson River. But it was so many times I did, especially I almost got kicked off the first episode, and I thought I went from thinking I'm going to win this show to oh, or I might just be kicked off the first day. It was so absurd and crazy. It's really I would do it to get in a heartbeat. So it's like I've been conditioned, I guess to be abused.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this. Let's let's tie it into Gilmore Girls. If Laurel I Gilmore competed on the show, do you think she would have failed? Yes, then you.
Speaker 2: Did probably yeah, I think so.
Speaker 1: She had a pop tart situation.
Speaker 2: Would pop right right. And then sometimes you think sort of in the beginning, you can be you know, sort of like charming and silly about it and it's serious business, like it's not messing around. There are things and but she it was so great because she had so much joy in actually teaching you. You know, the moments where I really like learned something, and then when you get better and she praises you. I felt like it was like better than years of therapy. You know, I'm like I got through it and I won, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Loved and I know it was an accident, right, but you knocked over Anne.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, the plate.
Speaker 1: I mean, what happened? And how did she react to that? What did she say to you?
Speaker 2: Okay, this is what I also thought I was going to be eliminated for doing that. So I Mark Long, who was on my team, who is a very large, very strong man, had I think won that challenge, and he picked up Anne and like, you know, uh, carried her around because he was so excited. So then I think I'm getting kicked off. Now I'm also exhausted, like in a state of I can't even understand how I got here, and now I'm going to be eliminated and so humiliated. And then Anne announces no one's going home, and my elation was just like oh yea, and I when I'm gonna do the same thing the guy on my team did. I'm going to pick up Anne and it's gonna be so funny, and I just like ran at her and her expression when she saw that I was going to pick her up was like, oh my god. And then it just all happened so fast, and the next thing I know, we were on the ground and I went, what's happening? And then everyone is like terrified. I didn't know if I had like given her a concussion. I was just like beside myself. And she laughed so hard and was like, I love you. This is the best thing that's ever happened, Like she had such a great attitude about it. And then after you know, we cut, we go back to the dressing rooms and the producer who was working with me came over and I was like, I almost started crying. I said, I'm so sorry, I'm so embarrassed, like it's like I lost my mind. And She's said, this was one of the greatest moments we have ever had on this show. And I was like, are you going to Are you sending me home? Because did I hurt am you know? And she said, no, no, You're definitely not going home now.
Speaker 1: So would you recommend to employees run at their CEOs and just for sure up and slam them on the ground. Would that get them ahead?
Speaker 2: It's like really showing your commitment, like get in there. Be a little bit scary, but a little intimidating and really like I'm taking one for the team and or I'm taking you.
Speaker 1: Down with me. Yeah, yeah, all right, So everybody listening, you know, do that, go to work, go to your CEO. Just run at them, pick them up, get them on the ground, and the promotions will come.
Speaker 2: I guarantee you they will love it.
Speaker 1: And say Elisa donov And sent me.
Speaker 2: Right, it's my recommendation.
Speaker 1: How would Suki Saint James feel watching you compete on Worst Cooks? What do you think? What do you think Suki would say? I?
Speaker 2: How did she get here? I mean, the thing that people don't understand about these shows is that, first of all, I mean, I guess you can sort of see symtems. You're sharing a stove with another person most of the time, so it's four burners or six I don't recall, but you're sharing that space with another cook, so you have to like lean over things and if you need the smaller flame and they're using the smaller flame, like you can't do it, and then they're talking to you, and then you're getting distracted, and and it's the time thing, right that they're always like telling you you got to go, you gotta go, you gotta go. And so even when you go to you know, grocery shop quote unquote, which you, they you know, give you time to pick your ingredients. You're just panicked. So half the time you come back with like, you know, a banana and an onion and they're like go and then you say, oh wow, I have nothing that I need and then you're just in trouble.
Speaker 1: And I'll tell you so. But now you know what it's like to be under pressure in a kitchen. Would you survive like a busy shift at Luke Steiner? What do you think with Luke there?
Speaker 2: You know what I think I would be. I worked in restaurants when I was in high school and college in New York City, and again I tried to get by on the charm part, you know, so like I'm fun and oh a little zany, everybody losy and then in the end it was like you're fired. I don't think that I could handle the stress because I get like very uh. It's a part of being an empathetic person. I think, I like take on what's going on. So the panic of anyone else just rendered me, you know, useless, And then I do the opposite, Like there was a moment where Anne said you were completely spastic, and then now you've like calmed down but now it's like you're in a coma, you know, like, and I was like, well, I feel very zen right now, Like I just kind of reversed everything, and she was like, well, just zen a little bit faster, and so zen faster is my I learned.
Speaker 1: So what's something that that was surprising you? You walked away learning from the show? Any skills that you use when cooking?
Speaker 2: Now, some really basic things that I did not know, like how to hold a knife. For example, you don't put your finger along the top of it. You hold it with your your your your your thumb and your first finger, and you have more control over the night. It feels counterintuitive, but it actually when you're doing it, it completely works. And then you can use the other hand because I'm alrighty the left hand on top to just like you know.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And so what Anne would do is she gives you a red mark on your finger if you use the knife incorrectly, like just put a red sharpie. So I had so many red and then it makes you not do it.
Speaker 3: But.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I would. I woke up with red sharpie on my pillow in the hotel and I was like, this has taking me over. And also what else did I learn? This was simple. This is one of the moments I when when you crack an egg, if you get the shell goes into the egg, you know, and then you're trying to get it out trying. The thing you do is you take the rest, the remainder of the shell itself to scoop it out, and it somehow sticks to it. It is the most efficient. It like changed my life. And I said to Anne in the moment, oh my god, if that's the only thing that I learned, like, this is incredibly useful. And she was like, well, I certainly hope that is not the only thing that you learn on this show. I was like, okay, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry the eggshell hack. I'm gonna remember it. Did I did that this morning.
Speaker 2: Isn't it? It's so irritating trying to.
Speaker 1: Get it with your finger it doesn't work.
Speaker 2: Or like a fork or a spoon doesn't work.
Speaker 1: I spent five minutes destroying the yolks. Yes, yeah, so, but you EmPATH that you are. You were competing for charity. The American is stuper for cancer research, which I know is a cause that's it's really close to your heart. Did that add a different kind of pressure during the competition and be on the show. Oh what do you hope people take away from your work and cancer at Because I mean.
Speaker 2: For sure that was half the reason of really wanting because the further you go, if you win, you obviously win a lot more money for your charity than if you leave earlier. So I really wanted to stay the whole time. It was a significantly larger amount of money that I could have made for them. But why that is so important to me is I lost my dad to cancer many years ago, and I went through that process with him and saw how the traditional Western medicine really at that time and still now has not really figured out how important lifestyle of nutrition and all those sorts of things contribute to both getting cancer and treating it right. And this organization in particular, really focuses on those very things, so they're preventative as well as in treatment. So, you know, watching my dad his you know his situation, his doctors were like, oh, just you know, you just have to gain weight, We just want to put some meat on your bone, so eat you know, soda and donuts and whatever. And I was, I, you know, have been a healthy organic eater for many, many, many many years. So I was trying to talk to my dad about this, and he he wasn't going to listen to me, his you know, twenty something year old daughter, when his doctors were telling him something different. So so that this organization in particular is really a great one. So I sadly didn't win as much money for them as I had hoped, but I did make a little for them.
Speaker 1: Well good for you for trying. I mean, that's very honorable. You wrote a memoir and you're a screenwriter. Yes, okay, you know I've taken into my turn as a screenwriter. Oh yeah, tell me about your writing process.
Speaker 2: So the book, the memoir is about losing my dad to cancer and how it changed my life and my career. And he came to me in these dreams and other worldly sorts of experiences that helped me to heal and move on. And so that's what the book is about. And I originally I've been a writer since I was a kid, you know, writing In high school, I really started to do a lot of autobiographical fiction and had a phenomenal teacher. And in college I was a writing me and drama major. So I've always been a writer, but I when my dad passed away. I first did this as little performance pieces like I would like I'd spoken word nights in LA would read portions of it. And then I always wanted to write a book. And you know, my agents at the time and everyone around me was like, writing a book, what are you talking about it? Do make it a TV show. I'm like, no, it's not a show. And so I kept writing the book. But then they said, well, write it as a play at least. So I wrote it as a one woman show and I did it at the Geffen at the Audrey Skerball as a benefit, and it was an incredible experience, and I felt like, Oh, this is what I'm supposed to be doing with my life, Like this is why I have been so fortunate to be on these TV shows and these movies that have made me some money and given me some notoriety that allows me to have this platform to tell stories that are meaningful and that are about the human condition and you know, the pain and the beauty and the joy and the laughter and the tears of life. So I felt like, from that moment, this is what I'm going to do, Like I didn't know how where it was going to go or how I was going to make it happen. So then I started to write it as a movie. I wrote it as but like I just started to write it in all the different versions, and I wound up getting the book deal first. But you know, because the writing is so different, right, screenwriting is an entirely different animal from writing narrative of you know, writing autobiographical fiction or memoir. So when I first was doing the play, I had some writers come during the rehearsal process, the development process to get their feedback, and they would say things like some of my favorite lines when you say la da da da da da, it's beautiful, And I was like, thank you so much, and they would say, and you have to cut it because nobody you can't. It doesn't work. You need to put that in the book. You don't put that in the stage piece. And it was like really hard to to like metabolize all of that because I felt like, this is this is what it's supposed to be. So I really learned a lot through the process of you know, going to people who are better at this than me and have been doing it for longer to be able to guide me into the specificity of how to write for each medium. And so now the film is in development that I wrote and that I'm going to direct and the I but the book deal is what ultimately came first.
Speaker 1: Wow, you're making a film about it. That's fantastic. Good for you.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, it's so easy to raise money for independent movies.
Speaker 1: No, it's I don't know why the jobs and raise money for anything. It's it's like, you're kidding me. Everybody wants to donate that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everybody, but they're throwing money.
Speaker 1: At us, send some my way because I have a bunch of independents.
Speaker 2: Well I have so much extrass so I'm just I'll just.
Speaker 1: I know right, it's annoying. Got to get rid of it. Well that's a a what a what a story? What a story? And congratulations on seeing that process through because obviously we're being silly here. It's impossible to raise money for independent films. It is, especially now. I mean it used to. It was hard twenty years ago, twenty five years ago. Like now it's impossible. So congratulations on that. What's the name of the memoir?
Speaker 2: Wake me when you leave?
Speaker 1: And where can people get it.
Speaker 2: So they can get it wherever you get books anywhere. It's on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Audible. I'd read the audio book, which was really a special part of the whole process for me, which happened at the very end, because it was like it was sort of of like doing the play again but not but getting it was sort of like the perfect coming together of all of it. Like I thought about how when my writer friends were like, you have to cut this, I'm like, now I get to say it anyway in the audio book.
Speaker 1: Listen. I save the most impactful and difficult question for the very last.
Speaker 2: So ready, I'm ready for it.
Speaker 1: Here we go, And I apologize for this the first pots I've done this to it. I mean to put you on the spot, but this is it's a very very very tough question and your answer is hugely important.
Speaker 2: It really will cause it will impact the rest of my life.
Speaker 1: And I'm sorry to do it. I'm sorry. If you were to come into Luke Steiner, what would you order and where would you sit?
Speaker 2: Oh, definitely I would order a burger because that because you have to, and I would have it with again because I don't do it. I'd love a cheeseburger, So if you have goat cheese, I'd get some goat on there and some grains and fries. I would assume that you have like freshly cut fries. I don't want to be frozen bs so and straight up Russa. I like a sweet potato fry, but I'm more of a classic. Let's do a Russet fry freshly cut, and then I'm definitely going to sit. So I like to be, you know, in the spot where you can see everything else. But I don't want to be sequestered, you know what I mean. I want you, I want to be a part of the mix, but I don't want to have anybody sitting behind me.
Speaker 1: So you're not sitting at the counter.
Speaker 2: Oh you know. I do like a count or too.
Speaker 1: Though everybody's behind me, and everybody's behind me.
Speaker 2: Is there a mirror in front so I could see who's vying, you know? But then I'd have to watch myself eat. I might sit at the counter.
Speaker 1: I do like the counter, Johnny. Uh yeah, are all our assistant over here is telling you that is the correct answer. Congratulations and you will receive Uh. We're going to match all the funding you've received so far from your god surprise, congratulations at Leasta.
Speaker 2: Donovan, Oh my goodness, thank god.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for sharing your story. We really appreciate it. And good luck with everything, good luck with the film, good luck, thank you. Please come back, you're well.
Speaker 2: I'll come back when when we you know, when the film's made in forty.
Speaker 1: Five years, you know, we'll probably still be doing.
Speaker 2: This'll be here, we will, and then I'll need I will be able to sit at the counter. I'm going to need like a walker. I'm going to need a back.
Speaker 1: We'll get you. We'll put you're on a sled and we'll pull you. Know. You will appear in two thousand and sixty five, in again and again and again and again and again. That's what it will be called. Anyway, all the best to you, and remember everybody, keep those cards, letters coming. The best fans on the planet. And there just ain't no debate about it. And somebody tried to debate me the other day and I crushed them, gilmour Gill, you did. I crushed them.
Speaker 2: I crushed I believe it.
Speaker 1: But it was really nice about very nice about still don't mess with these fans and where you lead, we will follow. Stay safe, everyone.
Speaker 3: Hey, everybody'll forget.
Speaker 1: Follow us on Instagram at i Am all In podcast, and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com