Speaker 1: You are listening to Rich on Tech. This is the show where we talk technology and give you the inside scoop on useful tech news, apps and websites. Plus I'm gonna help you get the most out of your gadgets by answering your tech questions live. What is going on? My name is rich Demiro. I'm the tech reporter at KTLA five News in Los Angeles, and you can learn more about me at richontech dot tv. Welcome to you wherever you're listening or watching from. I've got a bunch of people watching behind the scenes on Facebook Live. Hopefully you guys had a great Thanksgiving and thanks for joining me. If you're listening on the podcast, I love it. Thank you so much for doing that. And if you'd be so kind as to take a screenshot of the podcast player and then tweet it out on social media Facebook, Twitter, Instagram stories, that would be amazing because people are still learning about me. They're still learning about the show and don't keep us a secret. Well, don't keep me a secret, so tweet out the screenshot and that would be awesome. We're recording this show on Black Friday, so if you have a story about black Friday. I'd love to hear from you. Did you wait in line outside? Did you buy something? I've already shopped online. I woke up very early this morning, got a lot of sleep last night, and did some shopping already. I plan to do more today and of course some more on Cyber Monday. So a lot of the stuff we'll talk about today will be applicable to both days because I'm seeing just deals from everywhere. It's so crazy. So on the show today, we're going to talk about Black Friday, what people are buying. We'll talk about the HomePod being delayed, what the government is doing to stop robo calls. Maybe we'll talk about net neutrality, depending on if I want to get angry or not, And of course we'll take your calls at three one zero five nine four three zero zero three. Man, there is so much going on in the tech world today and all over the place, but mainly people are doing their Black Friday shopping. Top searches right now on Google, all over the place, all tech Apple Black Friday. People want to know how to get the iPhone for cheaper, and Apple is having a deal on Black Friday. They just basically do a gift card with your purchases, so up to one hundred and fifty dollars depending on what you buy Amazon, Alexa, Amazon Number two. I mean obviously a lot of people on Amazon right now. Let's see Nintendo Switch. That's a very big search right now on Google, Pokemon, the Mavick, which is a that's a drone. Let's see what else do we have here? Man so much Microsoft Surface, Black Friday, Apple, Black Friday, Android, and somewhere in there people are thinking about other stuff that's not related to Black Friday and shopping, and that's the Saturn Cassini. People are still interested in other tech news on Google, but most of it is Black Friday. Really cool website. I'll paste it in the comments if you're watching on the live feed, it's called Shopify. Let's see here. Post that in there and you can see Shopify data stories and this is just crazy. They this Shopify is a website that powers a lot of the shopping websites out there, and they have a live stream of exactly what's happening, so you can see that across North America and you can see where people are shopping the most, and there's it's just this great visualization so if you click on the link, you'll see it. It's just crazy. You could just see sales pingponging all over the world, and sales per minute right now, according to them, is three hundred and sixty nine thousand dollars a minute, three hundred and seventy six thousand dollars a minute, three hundred and seventy nine thousand dollars a minute in sales orders per minute. Forty five biggest things people are buying according to this shopify apparel, accessories, housewares, shoes, makeup, electronics, food, and games. Now here's the thing. When it comes to Shopify, I'm not sure that they're counting Amazon in their data. So that's why I think a lot of this is skewed towards apparel, accessories, housewaar, shoes, and makeup, because if you ask me, I think electronics are probably one of the biggest sellers going on on Black Friday, So I think that, you know, Shopify obviously powers a lot of websites, but not all of the top websites. So, according to them, top purchasing cities in the world London, Los Angeles, Singapore, New York, Brooklyn, Toronto, Chicago, Houston, San Francisco, Portland. Man, your calls three one zero five nine four three zero zero three nine. You're on with Rich Yes, Hi, Who am I speaking with Jeanette?
Speaker 2: Ruston?
Speaker 1: Jeanette. How's it going today?
Speaker 2: It's good, it's good.
Speaker 1: Did you go out shopping?
Speaker 2: Yes? Actually I was from nine o'clock last night till four o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, where did you go?
Speaker 2: I'm in Minnesota? Oh wow, Yes, so we went to the outlet malls.
Speaker 1: Wasn't it cold? Isn't it like thirty degrees there?
Speaker 2: It was forty degrees last night. It was nice and it was nice and crazy.
Speaker 1: Forty degrees is nice in Minnesota. So what did you pick up?
Speaker 2: A pals? Mostly? Yes, the coaches and Michael Courses. The line was outside, so it was really crazy.
Speaker 1: And have you done this before?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Actually it was my first time last night. It was really crazy. It was fun.
Speaker 1: So I did this back in the day. I waited out. I used to when I worked at sina I had to cover Best Buy, which, by the way, isn't aren't they headquartered in Minnesota? I think?
Speaker 3: Ye?
Speaker 1: Yes, so they must. You must have a lot of Best Buys out there. But uh, I so I covered best Buy. I was out there for their Black Friday for a couple of years and then I waited outside in a couple of Black Friday lines. And it's fun. I mean, it's it's definitely. You build a camaraderie with the people out there. You're talking, you're chit chatting, you're you're discussing the deals that you're going to pick up.
Speaker 2: So yes, yes, actually it was very good deals too, because they got like sixty percent and then plus twenty percent off they were there were really good deals actually, So.
Speaker 1: Did you call to just share that or did you want to ask a question today?
Speaker 2: I had you mentioned about the eiffelone X the Apple Apple actually because we're plying to go to the Mall of America. So you said that there's a deal for Apple about just a gift card. Yeah, it depends on it depends on what career or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it depends on what you're buying. So what I'm seeing here is they're really they're giving a gift card. This is at specifically the Apple store. So they're doing a gift card for the iPhone seven, the iPhone's success and the iPhone se So I'm not seeing them for the iPhone eight or ten at Apple. But if you look at other stores like a Target, I know that they are doing three hundred dollars if you buy the iPhone eight, they're giving like a gift card. There. Let me see if I can find what's happening with the iPhone ten. iPhone ten is so new that a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I was watching your video when it lunched the eighth and I was like, what the heck ridge talking at the eight lunch? And if you're talking about.
Speaker 1: The X, yes, and it's an amazing phone, it really is nice. I'm not really seeing any deals on the iPhone ten, so you may have to go who's your carrier for your cell phone?
Speaker 2: At and T?
Speaker 1: Okay, well that would be my first stop. So I'd stop into AT and T number one and see what kind of deal they have for for AT and T on the iPhone ten. They might be doing a trade in. Do you have an old iPhone right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I have a six plus?
Speaker 1: Okay, you have a six plus? So they might do some sort of trade in deal where you might get like three hundred dollars off or something like that. I would stop at eight and T first. Then I would go into Target and see what they're doing, and maybe last check out the Apple store. But yeah, iPhone ten is gonna be tough to get a big discount on just because it's so hot and it's so new that they know that, Janet, they're they're very smart about this stuff. All right, sounds good, Thank you, all right, have a great day there in Minnesota, and happy shopping. Thank you so much for calling in. Uh Man, that's Minnesota. Ooh, that's a that's cold, huh. But it is the holiday spirit. Here on rich on Tech. We're talking about all kinds of fun stuff today on Black Friday, and of course a lot of the stuff that we talk about is going to carry over into Cyber Monday. So if you want to discuss a deal that you're thinking of, something that you're thinking of jumping on, or if you need clarification about something, give me a call. Phone number is three one zero five nine four three zero zero three. We'll be back with more rich on Tech after this. Welcome back to rich on Tech. I'm rich Demiro talking tech with you today, and it is Black Friday when we're recording this podcast. So thanks so much for tuning in and watching on Facebook Live. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving, man. I actually I was fine with Thanksgiving. Like we went to our in laws place and it was great and the food. We have these amazing chefs in the family that just create an amazing spread. But I was totally fine until the pies. And when the pies came. And I mean this literally, these chefs cook for a living. They own some like amazing restaurants in LA. They're in the family, and they make pie and that's what they do for a living too, which is pretty amazing. They make desserts so or at least one of them does, and so her pies are amazing. So I got, of course, I'd have a piece of both the apple and the pumpkin. And that was when I was set over the edge because I was you had to roll me home at that point. And I went to bed last night, I am embarrassed to say around nine pm, and that is that is very early. That's what time I normally go to bed for my crazy early job. But to go to bed at nine pm on Thanksgiving, I'm sure a lot of people did because it was you know, a lot of food. All right, let's take another call from the nine to nine area code nine oh nine you're on with Rich.
Speaker 3: Hey, it's just a Sam from Pomona.
Speaker 1: Oh, Sam from Pomona, regular caller. What's up? Sam?
Speaker 3: Well, I didn't want to go two weeks for that call.
Speaker 1: I know we missed it last week. How how was your Thanksgiving?
Speaker 3: Oh? It's fantastic. Absolutely?
Speaker 1: What was your what's your favorite what's your favorite thing that you eat on Thanksgiving?
Speaker 3: Lagna?
Speaker 1: Really are you Italian? Because that sounds like an Italian time.
Speaker 3: I'm absolutely Italians.
Speaker 1: Okay. I knew there had to be because my wife was asking me. She said, Hey, did you guys ever eat like uh lasagno or fish on Thanksgiving? I'm like, no, we never did, but I know a lot of Italians do, so we did not grown up.
Speaker 3: That's that's to go to. Okay, I'm I'm at Sam's Club right now.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, sorry.
Speaker 3: And I'm looking at the I Home smart plug. Okay, I know you just did a thing on smart plugs.
Speaker 1: Yes, how much are they selling it for?
Speaker 3: Well, it's fort for a two pac.
Speaker 1: Okay, are you familiar with me? Yes? I actually that was the first one I ever got was the I Home That was the one I kind of tiptoed into my decorations last year. Does that one can include a remote controller?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: No, it just has a two plug, so it's just Wi Fi.
Speaker 3: It says it's compatible with mass and Swink and Amazon Alexa and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Well, here's the deal. So right now on Amazon, the Weimo smart plug which I featured, which is normally thirty five, is only twenty bucks, which is an amazing deal. And I'll tell you why it's an amazing deal because when I was at Costco last week, I bought this for twenty five dollars and I bought a two pack for fifty. So when you say, you know, so, twenty dollars is a really amazing deal for one of these these plugs. Those are going for twenty five each, you're not getting ripped off, but you can definitely save five more dollars.
Speaker 3: Did you buy those at Costco?
Speaker 1: I bought them at Costco. Correct, it was.
Speaker 3: Twenty twenty dollars deal at Costco?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: No, No, the ones eyeball actually so I actually paid more at Costco. I paid twenty I paid fifty dollars for a two pack of the Wimo ones, right, So I thought that was a good deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if your bottom then and they lowered the price, you know, they'll give a tax to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, which is gonna be a problem because they probably didn't. But h now, I did see on Amazon, and I haven't I've been trying to find this again. But on Amazon, I had a tiny little banner that came up and it said, oh, if you buy something, you can get a smart plug for five bucks, and it was like kind of an add on deal. And I can't seem to get that thing back on. But I'd say, look, Sam, if you're at Sam's Club, did you say You're at Sam's Club? Yep, Sam at Sam's So if you're already there, I mean, and you don't, I mean, it's it is ten more dollars time, you know, times that you know, the two of them. So you could go on Amazon. I don't know if you like Amazon or not, but that's that's kind of the decision you have to make there. But that's Yeah, how is it at Sam's Club today? Is it crazy?
Speaker 3: It's not crazy because you know they don't have the super duper deals. I was actually at Goodwill this morning. They had everything with a blue or green tag was a dollar, and they had one hundred free items in each store. If you could find them, that's.
Speaker 1: Oh, if you can find them, Wow, that's amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean I bought one of those Curig machines for a dollar, and I bought you know, there's several other things. I mean, you know, hey, you know for a buck. Wow, walk away from that.
Speaker 1: A cuig for a buck. That's how much like a pod costs? Usually exactly? That could have been, you know, Sam, that could have been my old cuig because I did donate a cureg to uh to Goodwill. I donate a lot of stuff to Goodwill, so maybe some of that stuff is mine for a dollar there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I'll keep donating. Maybe I'll get some good.
Speaker 1: Stuff, all right, Sam, Well, great to hear from you, Brave the crowds. Have one of those hot dogs for a buck fifty while you're at Oh no, that's Sam Costco. Does Sam's Club do like a dollar fifty?
Speaker 3: They matched Costo on the food.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, awesome, all right, We'll have a great Black Friday and enjoy.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 1: All right, man, I'll see you next time. All right, by bye bye bye. All right, Sam from Pomona. That's awesome. So a lot of things that I've had in my gift guide, you guys. I know, I put on my website rich on tech dot tv, rich on tech dot TV, and I've got my entire holiday gift guide. So I went through and just basically wrote up this is like I printed it out. But it's four pages of gadgets that I like this year, and I'm gonna keep adding to this list. So I've got everything on here, like basically my favorites of the year, because I test a lot of stuff and I just wanted to put down a list of all the stuff that I really like this year. Everything from like wireless charging pads, the Wi Fi system I like from euro TVs, the Google Home Mini obviously, the light bulbs I like from Life X, Nintendo Switch to Samsung Galaxy.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: Now, a lot of these things are expensive. I was looking through. I'm like, man, I have expensive taste in this stuff, but I'm trying to put some cheap stuff on there as well, like some of the cases I like from peel. Uh. Spotify's on there ten bucks a month, but that's like one hundred and twenty a year till a charging flipstick, smart plugs that I like. I've got some cases that I like. I've got Let's see what else iPhone? Man, I got a lot of stuff. So let's take another call if we can get this in before the upbreak. Here six ' six's one you are on with Rich sixty six one you're on with Rich.
Speaker 5: Hey, Rich, It's Greg from the Antelope Valley.
Speaker 1: Hey, Greg, how are you doing?
Speaker 5: I am doing fine?
Speaker 1: And yourself, I'm excellent. I'm I actually woke up hungry this morning, if you can believe it, after all that eating last night, which I don't understand how this morning you were still full. I don't know how. I was like, I was starving. I actually actually considered waking up earlier so I can eat and then go back to sleep. But did you do some Black Friday shopping today? Or what? Online? In store?
Speaker 5: Online? Yeah? Online? And what my question was? I called you, I think it was last week, and asked you about the three sixty camera and I noticed that the Insta three sixty is on sale, Yes it is. I was going to ask what is the difference between the one? And they also have one called the Nano.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the one you're you're with the iPhone right, yes, okay, so you've got okay, so let's see the one is uh okay, so that is uh let's see the one is one that okay, goes to the top, and then the Nano is a let's see here that one goes on the top as well. So let's see. I can look at how much they cost and I can kind of go from there. Okay. Yeah, so oh okay, So it looks like the the one has four K video and does the Insta three sixty? Yeah? This does not have four K video. So that's that's the main difference. It looks like, So okay, I don't I mean, do you need four K video? I don't think you do.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, I don't even have a TV of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I say go definitely save the money. One hundred and fifty nine bucks. Now is that the normal price or is that the Black Friday price?
Speaker 5: I think that's the Black Friday because I checked after you had talked to me, and I think it was one.
Speaker 1: So I'd say go for it. I mean, that's that's a great deal. One hundred and fifty nine bucks for this camera is a really nice deal and you're not going to need the four K, so I think you're going to be just fine with the regular And it's fun. I mean it snaps right into the bottom of your phone and that lightning jack and you can take three sixty now do you Why do you want this three sixty camera so bad? What are you going to take pictures of?
Speaker 5: We like to take trips, and I'm you know, like we want to go up to Death Valley pretty soon and I want to just take some pictures up there.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well that's fun. You got to figure out where to share them. I mean Facebook shares them pretty well. Twitter does not share them well. And then there's a bunch of other things like obviously Facebook video does it, YouTube video does it. But that's the trick with these four k are these three sixty cameras is sharing the pictures and making them easy for people to watch. So but I think, you know, if you're on Facebook, that's obviously a big place to share them. So I would check out Facebook and try it out. So Greg, thanks so much for joining me today on the show. I appreciate it. Have a great black Friday and enjoy the three sixty pictures. All right, guys, more of your questions. We'll talk more deals three one zero five nine four three zero zero three the website rich on Tech dot tv. If you enjoy the live stream, go ahead and share it with your friends, and if you like the podcast, leave a review for us in the iTunes store. We'll be back with more rich on Tech right after this. Welcome back to rich on Tech Live. I'm rich Demiro on the air with you, and on Facebook and on podcasting and everything. We're all over the place, So welcome back to the show. I hope you're enjoying the show. A lot of good callers today, a lot of people going out on Black Friday. So I used to do that a lot. But now when I woke up this morning, what I do. I just tuned right into the internet and I started looking. I had a list of all the things I wanted to buy, and I just kind of kind of went through and you know, search to see if those things are on sale, and man, they are all on sale. I can't believe it. In the live chat, Mike or let's see, let's see, the question is what's your take on the Nintendo Switch. Is it worth it? Well, considering I've been playing that thing every day for the past month or so, Yes, it is worth it. It is really cool. And I've noticed that a lot that's like literally the umber three search right now on Google is Nintendo Switch because people are so excited about that thing. I've been playing Super Mario Odyssey. My kid has been playing Super Mario Odyssey. And the craziest thing about this Nintendo Switch is my kid is only six, and he figured out that he can pull the Nintendo Switch out of the dock and bring it around the house and play with it. I didn't even show him that, and he did that, and he's sitting there playing Super Mario Odsy Now most of the time that turns out to me playing Super Mario Odyssey because I'm trying to show him. And I'll admit I've been cheating on it. There's been two levels or two points in the levels where I could not figure out how to proceed, and I had to look up on YouTube how to proceed in the game and find these moons and not to beat the bosses. But I had to figure out what do I do now, And after like a couple hours, of that. It took me a while to figure it out, but I had to go on YouTube and just search for the way to do it. It's cheating, yes it is, but I had to do it, and I never had that as a kid. I never had a way to, you know, look online to find an answer to something. I had to, like go to my friends and say, hey, did you play this boss yet? Renee is asking the live chat what's the best deal in wireless printers? You know the printer that you guys see in the live stream behind me is on sale right now fifty five bucks. I'm seeing it on slick deals dot net. And by the way, if you're looking for deals on this Black Friday and Cyber Monday, the best thing to do, number one is to find deals on the stuff that you want to buy. So think about what you have in your house, what you like, and what you've had your eyes on, and then search for those websites. And that's the best way of getting those things, getting those discounts. And then the next thing you do after you've done that, then you're just looking for stuff to buy and you're looking for best deals. I would go to slick deals dot net and They've got a great list of all the best deals that people come up with and vote on, and they're the best. So let me just show you some of these deals. So wonder Woman, Wonder Woman, right now, this is amazing on Google Play. This is really cool. Actually, wonder Woman four dollars and fifty cents to purchase it. Four dollars and ninety nine cents. The Lion King ten dollars, Toy Story ten dollars that never goes on sale, Lego Batman four to fifty. I might have to get that, even though it's on HBO Go. But my kids love that. And here's the cool thing is that? And here I'll put this in the links here. See you guys, you know that's a good thing I can do, so you can look in the comments and see what I'm talking about. But the cool thing about these now you link this up with your Movies Anywhere account, and whatever movie you buy on Google Play is now available on your Apple TV, your Roku, your iTunes. It all works together, which is really cool. So that's why, now more than ever, these digital movie deals are such a great deal. And in fact, I think I'm gonna go ahead and buy the Lego Batman for a four to fifty that's a great movie. Well, I don't know if it's a great movie. Sorry, I know my kid will like it. I've seen Wonder Woman. I mean for four to fifty, that's a pretty good deal. It looks like you can only buy one maybe, but I don't know. But yeah, there you go. Let's see what else is on the deal here? Three months of Xbox Live on Amazon ten dollars. That's a fantastic deal. Let's see what else here. Logitech Ultimate ears eighty bucks for a Bluetooth speaker. A Lenovo laptop for one hundred and eighty dollars at best Buy. That's a great deal. Let's see what else the Wi Fi see I better buy this now, This Wi Fi robot vacuum I want. It's kind of like a Rumba but way cheaper. It's only one hundred and fifty bucks right now. It's called the Evo vax d Bot, and it's usually two hundred and it is only one fifty and I need to buy that. That is something that is on my Christmas list. And if you want to see all the stuff on my list, by the way, just go to rich On tech dot tv and look for my holiday gift guide that is on the website. I've written up all the things, so I'm gonna keep adding to that list throughout the end of the year. So just because you check it once doesn't mean that it's gone. You can check it again and get more good deals. So again, slick Deals. And then and another website I like is dealnews dot com. Dealnews dot com is uh. They post four hundred and sixteen deals posted today. You would not be able to get through all these deals in one day, but they post a bunch and they use a bunch of editors to post their deals. So like they have Black Friday tablet deals lowest price ever on Amazon, fire Costco. Their deals are a little different because they they sometimes feature specific things, but a lot of times it's more like just deals in general. Like happy socks. I don't know if you've heard of those, but they're nice socks. They're forty percent off. I'm not buying socks today, though, but let's see like Men's five eleven slim Slimfit Genes are sixteen bucks on Amazon. Pretty good. So again, if you want to share the deals or things that you're looking at, three one zero five nine four three zero zero three three one zero five nine four three zero zero three. Another web I really like is the wire Cutter, and they've got a bunch of Black Friday deals. And what I like about Wirecutter is that they're you know, they they're just good. They really do a nice job. And they've got a bunch of categories including appliances, babies and kids, gifts, health and fitness, home and garden, travel. Let's look at baby and kid and see what's good here. Baby and kids. We've got what do we have here? An ergo baby? I was never able to figure that thing out baby carrier. That's one hundred and thirty five dollars skip Hop. I don't know if you remember if you had kids, you know that brand mag Formers. There you go see. I love this mag Formers magnetic log cabin. I've been looking at these for my kids and this is thirty five dollars on woot and those are normally sixty bucks. Forty eight piece set. Oh sold out? There you go. I can't get that. Debbie asks in the chat does the Belkan charger work on Let's see, does it work on any the iPhone or just the iPhone eight. It will only work on the iPhone eight in the iPhone ten because the other iPhones don't actually have any of the wireless charging built in. Did I tell you guys? I have sound effects? Now? I like my little sound effects. Why not? It's like an old time radio show, you know. Let's see. Yeah, magnetic log cabin. That is cool. Let's see what else? A HomePod? Something you can't buy this year is the HomePod. That's not gonna be Apple has delayed the HomePod. Have you heard about this? So this was Apple's answer to the Amazon Echo and Alexa and of course the Google Home and this was their three hundred and fifty dollars home speaker. It was supposed to be launched in December, but they are delaying it. It's not going to be available till next year. Now. Apple said it's gonna be able to control smart home appliances and take orders. I don't know. We'll see, I mean, we'll see how much it can do. Because mainly what I've seen is that this thing is kind of a speaker for your music. And yes, it will be able to do some other things, but I don't think it's going to be as full featured right out of the gate as some of the other home speakers we see. Even three hundred and fifty dollars is a lot. I'm not going to pay that much for one speaker. I used to when I had my so nots, But now that I can get these these things like Google Home Mini or Google Home even for like under one hundred bucks, there's just no way. And they work better. I mean the quality is not as good, but they're still for the price. Yeah, not bad. Eight one eight you're on with Rich? Who am I speaking with?
Speaker 4: Jonathan?
Speaker 1: Jonathan? Where are you calling from? Is that Burbank or what?
Speaker 3: Actually?
Speaker 4: Los Angeles? I'm in the central Hollywood area, right down the street from Oh awesome.
Speaker 1: Well I'm not there, so don't don't go knocking on the door.
Speaker 4: Today, No problem.
Speaker 1: What can I help you with on this back Friday?
Speaker 4: I just purchased right now the wise camera that I saw you do a little little special line. My question is this, you happen to know if that can be plugged into a car like a car cigarette lighter, you know, the charger and operate from a vehicle.
Speaker 1: You know, that's a good question. Interesting, So once you set it up. Could you just move it? I mean, it does you know, it does have the SD recording in it. I don't know if it needs to be carry my only my only concern is if it would go down if it didn't have a Wi Fi connection. But that makes no sense because if the Wi Fi went down to your house, the camera is not going to stop recording. So I don't see why. I don't think that's the use case that they envisioned. But I don't see why you couldn't do it. It's a great you're saying you would just let it almost like a dash.
Speaker 4: Cam exactly, except i'd have it like face the interior or or extra. I might get a couple if I can do it. I'm wondering, though, if I can generate enough power from one of those those uh you know, the second chargers that your cigarette lighter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the question. That's the thing that's going to be the question, because I don't know that answer. And the thing is those are generally rated for I mean, you could get a lot of power out of those, but they're generally the chargers are generally for like a phone. I have a feeling it's going to work. I think that it's gonna work, but you're gonna have to try it out, Jonathan, and get back to me and tell me if it works, because that is not what they envisioned with that device. But the beauty of technology is that you can hack it out and do whatever you want with it, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's a great deal for like twenty bucks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if it works, and it already has the rolling recording built in, so that's perfect use case for a car. So good question, Jonathan, Thanks so much for calling a lot of people buying those twenty dollars wise cams. Yeah, it sounds like it's trying to recreate that little car pool karaoke in his own car. Or you know, it could be an uber driver. I mean, who knows. There's a lot of a lot of reasons why you might want to record your car. You're listening to a rich on Tech. Rich on Tech dot tv is the website will be back with more rich on Tech after this. Welcome back to rich on Tech. I'm rich Demiro and do you like the lovely holiday music I chose for today's show. You can find free music like that for your podcasts or anything all your projects. Free music archive dot org is where I got it. It's from d Yankey, so thanks. Nice holiday music. I might use it for the whole month of December, so I like it. That's a nice, nice classy flair to the show, all right, JT from Las Vegas. You are on the line. JT, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 6: Good morning, Happy Thanksgiving, the happy holidays. And I wanted to tell you quickly about I remember you in one of the previous podcast that you have in difficulty with the lights in the background changing colors and things like that, and I was the one that kept bugging you, Hey, what do you use in your whole studio for the sounds for the mic? That type of thing? But you said it would take two longs and two But I just recently got just came out within the last month from Sylvania, the Smart Plus led light bulb. And what I love about it is there's no hub needed. You just screwed in the light socket and do whatever you want to do to it from your Apple phone.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's nice. So yeah, and they're great. I mean, and let's see how much are these on? So thirty five bucks on Amazon. So there's two types of lights out there. JT. And you hit this on the head. Basically, there's the Phillips hue, which kind of were the original ones, and those require a hub, and I have some of those around the house, But I also have these other ones called Lifix, which is the ones I'm using behind me. What I've noticed with the ones that connect direct your WiFi, the LIFEX or Lifix, you don't need a hub either. But I've noticed is sometimes if your Wi Fi connection is not the best, it can definitely be a little flaky. Have you experienced that it all? Or are they working all the time?
Speaker 6: Not working all the time?
Speaker 3: Amazing?
Speaker 6: I'm just so glad no hub.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just one less thing you have to worry about. You don't have to plug them in. You don't have to, you know what I mean. It's just simpler, you know. And a lot of these things they kind of started out with a hub and then they kind of backed off and now they're a lot of these smart things are not requiring a hub, but the hub and I'm not exactly sure. I think the hub kind of makes it simpler for upgrades and all that stuff, because you can upgrade one thing and all them work together or whatever. But I think I'd rather go with the cheaper price, you know, and the things without the hubs sometimes cost a little bit less, which is nice because you don't have to guess that. So you said, you told me off air that you lived in LA for thirty five years and now you moved to Las Vegas. So which one's better for Thanksgiving? I mean they're both probably as hot.
Speaker 6: Actually it was only as four here in Las Vegas yesterday, so I missed the beach weather.
Speaker 1: Beach weather. Wow, what it was like ninety yesterday here in La. So it was it was pretty crazy. JT. Thanks so much for calling. Enjoy the lights. Yeah, yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 6: What do you use for your sound machine?
Speaker 1: For my sound? Oh, for like the sound effects? Yes, so I'm actually using an iPad with an app called sound bite. It was a five dollars app. It is basically identical to what you would get on the radio, so you can literally do little sound carts. But yeah, it takes a while to set up, but that's what I'm using, which is pretty cool.
Speaker 6: So that's definitely worth it. Thank you. It was bugging me for a while.
Speaker 1: No worries. You got a JT. Anytime you can drop me a line by email too. You can go on my website. Rich on tech dot tv. I've got the contact page.
Speaker 6: You all the time and still watch Channel five since its beginning.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's amazing. Well, thanks so much for calling in. I appreciate it a little bit different from what we on Channel five. But yeah, this is fun. This is this is a lot of fun, all right. Uh, you guys want to know about the robo calls. So I know you guys get a lot of these robo calls. Oh, let me, you know what, Let me do this. Let me let me put this link to the SoundBite app in the You know, I'm fine. I love sharing this stuff because this is this is what's fun about it is It's taken me a while to figure all this out, but it's fun for me to share how I do it because then you guys can do the same thing and have fun with this stuff. All right. So FCC is adopting new rules to allow phone companies to block robo calls. And you're gonna love this because guess what. US consumers receive two point four billion robo calls a month in twenty sixteen. Can you believe that two point four billion robo calls a month and you've gotten them. I've gotten them. They're just crazy. You pick up the phone, it looks like a number that you should be picking up. You hear a pause, and next thing you know, it's some sort of crazy. You know, hey, this is Maria and you won this and you you know whatever, and it's just crazy. It's not none of it's good. And no one ever who buys stuff from a robo call, I don't get it. But the FCC now has they've made rules where now the companies that run you know, like T Mobile, Verizon, AT and T, they can block robo calls that appear to be from phone numbers that cannot make outgoing calls. So there's you know, there's rules that you know, you I guess, okay. So it says without running a foul of the FCC's call completion rules. So clearly in the US we have some rules that you have to be able to make a phone call, right, I mean, if you're making a legitimate call, it has to go through and it has to be received by the person. So that's why they can't just go ahead and say, like, oh, just block everything. No, they have to like somehow regulate this because we still want emergency calls especially to go through. And a lot of people on the live stream are chiming in about some of the apps that I like, and I mention them. If you hear, I'll put this h I'll put this my KTLA story I did. I'll put it in the links. But it's a couple of ways to stop robo calls. And oh shoot, I pasted the same thing again. But yeah, this couple of the apps that I tried that I really liked, I will tell you about if I can paste this. There we go. So let's see. T Mobile has something called scam Id and scam Block, so search for those and you can actually turn those on on your phone. One of them is turned on automatically, I think when you sign up, but one of them you have to turn on at and T has a free app called call Protect. If you download that, you can sign up and it'll work for you. No mo robo you have to pay two dollars a month, but that one will work as well. And if you want something free, check out an app called Hya Hiya and that will block the calls for free as well. That's actually built into my Samsung phone and it's really cool. I love that. Darlene asks on the live chat how to stop on landline, and the best one for landline is no Mo Robo and they're free. Actually yes, and Terry says on the live chat, some of the numbers that call are identical to my own phone number, with just a number or two changed. That's what they're doing. They're spoofing your own phone number. That's how sophisticated they've gotten the number they're dialing. They make it look like it's coming from a number that's very similar to yours. You're like, wait, is that my husband or my wife's number, or my kid's number, or my doctor or my dentist. But it's crazy, that's what they do. And I just say, you know, look, I'm not interested. I don't I don't even I just hang up most of the time. Actually, all right, let's take a call from or let's take a question from social media. Bruce writes in on my web page. Rich on tech dot TV, he says, Hello, Rich, I need a little help. When you download a movie to your iTunes account, is there a way to watch that movie on your TV? Like burning it to a DVD. On your Windows computer to play on a DVD player, or somehow hooking your iPhone up to the TV. My computer's running Windows seven Professional and I have an iPhone six plus. Any help would be appreciated. Great question. A couple of ways you could do this. I mean, obviously Apple would like you to get an Apple TV and then that way you can connect it to your you know, your TV and play it that way. Now that I talked about this thing called Movies Anywhere, movies that you purchase on iTunes, you can hook it up to this account and really play them in a lot of different apps, including Google Play. You can play them on let's see what else, Voodoo. Microsoft is the only one that's not on board, but Voodoo iTunes, Google and Amazon. So if you have any of those things hooked up your TV or any of those apps on your TV, if you have a smart TV, that will work. But if you really want to just do it the simplest way, I would say Lightning Digital av Adapter. It's thirty dollars and it's sold by Apple, and it's a little device you plug into your Lightning connector and it has an HDMI port on it, and you can just plug an HDMI cable from your iPhone onto your TV, and then you can output whatever's on your phone screen to your TV. Now, I haven't specifically tried this with an iTunes movie. I know they're copyright protected, but I do think it would work because it says it outputs video content movies, TV shows, and captured video to your big screen TV. But it may not work with iTunes because again it's copyright protected. So you'd have to try this out and if it doesn't work, then you know, maybe you have to go get something. Now, if you really want something pretty cheap, I would just go ahead and get a chrome Cast, which is literally like thirty dollars and that's the same price as this digital av adapter, and it's going to be wireless from your phone, and you can do a lot more with it than just stuff, and it doesn't have to be hooked up to your TV. You can just do it wirelessly from your phone. So, Bruce, I would just recommend getting a chrome Cast and signing up for Movies Anywhere and then casting your movie from Movies Anywhere right to your TV set. And I think that's going to be the best possible solution and the most flexible too, because you can do a lot with that. All Right, before we go, if you guys have any questions in the live chat, we'll do a quick rapid fire. So if you have a question for me and you want me to answer it, I'll do a couple of rapid fire questions in the live chat on Facebook, and then we'll close out the show. So Angie Ford agrees on the live chat, she says, cast it, and I agree. I love my Chrome cast. It's super easy. It's just a nice little thing to do. Caro says, thanks for sharing. Filo dot com last week. Filo dot com we talked about is the new streaming service that's sixteen bucks a month and you get a bunch of channels minus sports channels. Angie says she likes Voodoo and yeah, oh, Voodoo works with movies anywhere too, So if you guys haven't used movies anywhere, definitely check it out because you can connect Voodoo, Amazon, iTunes, and Google all at once, and all your movies are in all your libraries. It's pretty amazing. Tom says, what's your take on sweatproof wireless headphones? I'll tell you which ones I like. Let me look at my story. They are from j Lab and let's see they are night. I think they're one hundred dollars. Today's probably a great day to buy them. They are the j Lab Epic two bluetooth wireless earbuds. And I'll paste this again in the comments. You guys can see that. And right now on Amazon there're one hundred dollars. And I would go to ja Lab's website both today and I would go on Monday and see if they're any cheaper. But these are fantastic for one hundred dollars, best wireless bluetooth headphones that are not the AirPods. Love these things. They stay in your ears, they're sweat resistant, their water proof, They're great and they have a strong connection. Glenda, what do you recommend for home security system? I would just go with simply safe and it's proven, it works, it's great. I would say simply safe and ring is really nice. And all right, wow, that's gonna do it for the show. Can you believe it? That was fast? Did you guys have fun? I did, Well, that's gonna do it for me, and that's gonna do it for this episode of rich On Tech Live. This was episode two zero Sevan. If you like this kind of tech talk, you can find me weekdays on the KTLA five Morning News. I'm on around five fifteen seven fifty nine thirty am. To also check out my website rich on tech dot Tv. There I have links to everything I mentioned on this show. So I put a podcast link and it has everything that I talk about. Takes me a little bit to get it up, but it's there. And of course, if you want to subscribe, if you're watching on Facebook Live, you can subscribe to the podcast. Just search rich on Tech in your favorite podcasting app. For iOS, I really like Overcast and for Android I like pocket Casts, two fantastic apps. And if you love this, please tell your friends rate the podcast on iTunes. And something else you could do is just take a screenshot of you listening to it, you know, on your phone, and post it to Facebook and Twitter, and that way people know, hey, I'm listening to this new podcast called rich on Tech. All right, that's gonna do it for me, Rich Demiro, thanks so much for listening. Find me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and again it's all at the website rich on tech dot tv. You guys have been a blast thanks for watching and listening, and I will be back next time.