Speaker 1: Anyone try to get your number, Rob, No one's ever tried to get my number.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: No. Eighty seven is my number? Yeah, same, Jules, What if Drew Bledsoe came out of retirement, would you give up number eleven? Then? What year my career two thousand and.
Speaker 2: Sixteen?
Speaker 1: Nope, right in your prime?
Speaker 3: No, the squirrel them all not just running off touchdowns.
Speaker 2: It's true.
Speaker 4: So though I know that's tough. We always had a thing because he'd come into a locker room after games. Always, he always like be rooting for me, even when I wasn't playing, and the stuff he was cool, I'd probably give it to him.
Speaker 2: It's true. Welcome to Dudes on Dudes.
Speaker 4: I'm Julian Edelman and I'm Rob Gronkowski aka the Rock, And this is the show where your favorite dudes get to talk about their favorite dudes.
Speaker 1: And Jules, what are we talking about today?
Speaker 2: It's free agent frenzy.
Speaker 4: So I think we got to break down some of the moves that are going around.
Speaker 1: You know, the Patriots giving away the richest contract in franchise history, more money than Tom Brady ever got per year, the current state of the forty nine ers.
Speaker 2: Could it be a transition year. We'll talk about it.
Speaker 1: And maybe a little Aaron Rodgers talk. Where's he gonna go? There's a couple suitters out there still available for him.
Speaker 4: And then we wrap up the show with the chills due to the week presented by Corp's Light.
Speaker 1: And you got to stick around till the end. Let's go, Let's get into it. Jules Dudes on Dudes is a production of iHeartRadio. But first, let's have a little chit chatter. What's going on with our lives right now? Absolusly. We'll get into the free agency in a little bit.
Speaker 4: But I just I just got off my phone and I see you're over at the Players Championship.
Speaker 1: Yes, the Players Championship, which is basically a fifth major. Right now, I'm at my major.
Speaker 2: It's the highest paid one, right it's the highest pain.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is one of the highest paid, but it's technically not a major. But if they call it the fifth major, it's the Players Championship. I actually really didn't know too much about it because I'm just a little into golf. I'm not like a crazy fan like that, you know. I appreciate what they do. But I learned a lot while I was there. I learned a lot about the majors, how the Players Championship wasn't a Major, but it is like a major because you know, it's it's the you know, that's the highest paid and all the players, all the big time players still play there and they treat it like that. But technically it's not a major. So I learned that. But what was really cool about it is I got the caddie for will Zola Taurus for two holes. And then also I did a thirty minute you know, coaching session where I got coached at the driving range by Jordan Speith. You know, he you know, taught me some tips, taught me, you know, what to do so I can keep the ball going straight, you know, bombs. I hit some bombs, you know, I was hitting a couple.
Speaker 2: Of shanks, Like what club were you swinging?
Speaker 1: So we started with the driver, then we did the nine iron as well, and then we also did a pitching wedge. So that was really cool. And shout out real quick to Willie z. He looks like Happy Gilmour's caddie, you know, in in Happy Gilmore but unfortunately and he's a Games with Names fan. Great dude, loved him, had a great time with him. It was just so fun being his caddy. You know, really cool times. Man. I appreciate all those guys welcoming me.
Speaker 4: Man, Rory, he got to meet Rory and all the boys, huh. I got to meet Rory, Shane seventeenth hole.
Speaker 1: Shane Laurie. I got to meet who I said, looked like exactly like Travis Kelsey. Could have been the Kelsey's third brother, no doubt about that. And he's kind of Jack too, so he fits right in with them. But the seventeenth hole was really cool man. First off, TPC the one of the most beautiful golf courses I've ever seen in my life. Actually, it's the most beautiful golf course I've ever seen in my life. I love that grass. It's just crystal clear green. It just sticks out and like it just makes your eyes happy, makes you happy just looking at just hanging out on that grass. I want all my backyards one day to look like, you know, the TPC golf course.
Speaker 2: You gotta get drunk.
Speaker 4: To the Augusta mm hmm. You gotta get grunk to Augusta. If he's calling, I mean players champion, that's a beautiful course, but you gotta see the other the other courses. Rob, we gotta, we gotta, we gotta get you to Pebble Beach. Say like, there's a bunch of places that are so beautiful and then we throw you across the pond and it puts you over in fucking like Ireland or Scotland and see some of those beautiful courses.
Speaker 2: You'd appreciate it.
Speaker 1: I would. I appreciated TPC, so I'm sure I would appreciate all those other courses. And what my favorite part was when I was a caddie for Will is obviously I talk about it all the time. Happy Gomore is my favorite movie. So I put the caddy uniform on and I handed Will his club, you know, to use. It was a driver because it was a par five in the first hole that we did. And then the crowd wasn't loud enough because I got a little bit of a round of applause for being the caddy. When I handed the driver over to Will and I turned around, I was like that that wasn't loud enough. Louder, louder, folks, And then I started doing raise the roof and I turned up the whole entire place right on the sixteenth hole, right before the seventeenth hole. And that was one of the coolest moments because I felt like I was in the movie Happy Gilmore. I felt like Happy Gilmour at that time. And it's gonna be coming out, you know, it's already out actually, so check it out. It's just awesome. I love it. Did you try PJ tore for having me as well?
Speaker 2: Did you try to hand him a sixty nine degree wedge?
Speaker 1: No, Jeels, I didn't think about that. But now when we play, we better use that sixty nine degree wedge.
Speaker 2: That could be used real well in the sand.
Speaker 1: It could be yeah, right next to the water where it's all wet. You know, you definitely need that sixty nine degree weds then, you know, to be able to handle.
Speaker 4: Get got to be able to get under that thing, you know what I mean, Gotta get under it. So did you have any caddy strategy or did you just it was just like he's just like happy to have you there.
Speaker 2: He knew everything you say.
Speaker 4: Hey, man, the hole if you look it over here, you see the ocean comes from this way, so he I know, it looks like it's a downhill. Putt, but it's uphill because the grain and the ocean pull it this way. I could see Rob giving some insight like that.
Speaker 1: I actually was giving insight like that. I pretended I knew the wind speed. I was doing that testing out the wind. I told him exactly where to hit it to the right more, I had him the driver. Then I handed him a i'm in iron. I gave him the wrong iron. I gave him a I think like a nine iron when he really only needed like a six iron. But it didn't matter because he had to listen to me the whole entire time, and he was going along.
Speaker 4: Gave a nine iron, would you wanted it? So it was a two hundred yard and you gave him a nine?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought a nine iron. I even I was trying to even coach him through. I go, here, you go, here's a nine iron, because this nine iron is for you will this a nine iron is between one ninety and two hundred and twenty yards. And he was just laughing to himself. You know, he didn't even correct me. And I gave him the nine irony. And he's such a pro that he could obviously just a shot, you know, depending on what club he has and how far it is. I mean, he can use a nine iron even though it's only one hundred and eighty yards away. Still, I mean, he knows what he's doing and he had a great he had a great shot.
Speaker 4: How unbelievable is watching those guys just swing and stick those shots.
Speaker 1: They just make it look so effortless and you gotta appreciate that, and that's what makes it so intriguing as well, just they're just so consistent and it just looks so easy to them. It's kind of like watching you run a route, you know, back in your heyday Jewels, when I always just looked over, I'm like, that's just too easy for Jewels. It's like he's not even trying. Well. It's the same thing with them, man, And it's all about consistency too. They're just doing it at a repetition that you have to do it at in order to stay at top of your game. I mean there, it was the practice rounds. It was just Tuesday. I was there and it was just a practice rounds there and they're taking i don't know, two hundred three hundred hacks. They're at the driving range before they you know, go around the course and take their practice rounds. So two hundred three hundred hacks on just a practice day, a day or two before the actual tournament. So it just shows no matter what sport you are, in basketball, football, golf, you know, it's all about repetition and doing it on a daily basis so you can keep your skills to the highest level.
Speaker 4: Practice execution becomes game reality. And the reality of it right now is that it's March. And what does march mean.
Speaker 1: March means March madness.
Speaker 4: Baby, are you watching this? Are we in a bracket? We're getting a nuthouse bracket.
Speaker 1: I think we do need a nuthouse bracket. You know, we got enough people to be able to make it exciting. We got about eight people in our crew. We did the nuthouse fantasy football and let me tell you that went terrible. But this is like my redemption went. I got in last place on the fantasy football side, but I'm going to get some redemption here. Man. I love college basketball. You know, there's not as much focus as fantasy football because fantasy football is eighteen weeks long. This is like, you know, two weeks long. You just fill out a bracket and then you just see it just do its own thing. So I can put all my attention to it for an hour jewels and fill out a great bracket and make up for my fantasy football loss.
Speaker 4: What's your first thought going in, like, what are your teams? Are you watching Arizona every time the tournament happens? Have you been watching college basketball at all?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 1: I really haven't watched any college basketball, but I'm a big college I'm a it is hard man. We got so much going on, and I'm a big college basketball fan. But it's like the NHL playoffs. It's like the NBA playoffs. I don't miss it, you know, when the March Madness comes around, It's it's basically college basketball playoffs. It's must see TV, it's must see sports. So I tune in every time during March Madness. And it's so easy to catch up on who's the best team? You know, the number one seeds. I mean, you just study that. You know, study the teams for about an hour, You study the brackets for about an hour, and boom, you're right into it and you understand everything that's going on. So I'm gonna fill myself in and about the next week fill out a bracket and uh, you know, give it my best shot against all the nuthouse crew. Who's your team and who do you got winning?
Speaker 2: Jules, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I haven't I haven't studied it yet, and we got to study it here because we're launching this thing here soon.
Speaker 2: Did I'm always looking. I hope I need Kent to win the mac Tournament.
Speaker 1: They wont it in unless if they yeah, well.
Speaker 2: They state yeah probably.
Speaker 4: And then the crazy thing is that Cooper flag injury?
Speaker 2: Do you see that? The ankle?
Speaker 1: Wh what happened?
Speaker 4: That guy's going he's leading, he's leading, He's like that, he's a freshman doing all these crazy He's a monster. He's from Maine or is he from Maine? He's from Maine. We talked about it with Scalabrini. This kid's like supposed to be the legitist dude of all time on duke ankle heard it now, So that that'll that'll suck if he doesn't get to play. We have a shot at Kent though we do have a shot.
Speaker 1: Ten Does Kent State have to win the mac Tournament in order to get a bid into the tournament?
Speaker 4: Not that not that educated on it, but winning the MAC Tournament, you're probably in. They always seem to get in and they always win it. They'll make they make some noise here and there. Kent State basketball. He's making noise, still talking about it like it was yesterday. The Elite Eight run with Antonio Gates. He went to school like five years before me, and I used like last year whenever I would tell you, like, yeah, we went to the Elite Eight last year.
Speaker 2: I used that for like ten.
Speaker 1: Years, Jules. If the Kent State Golden Flashes don't make the tournament, you gotta root for Arizona with me to make a run.
Speaker 2: I always do.
Speaker 1: I'm a big Arizona basketball fan. Love their head coach, great guy, great dude. Hung out with him a few times. Man, great, down to earth man, and he just gets after his players. He coaches them hard and that's why they always have a winning organization there and a winning team. So I'm a big fan of Arizona basketball just overall, and I'll be rooting, you know, for them, you know, deep down, and hopefully they go all the way this year. They had a couple of chances over the last two years. And Tommy Lloyd, he's got this team rocketing and rolling once again, and hopefully they play their best ball in March Madness when it comes around. So let's go Arizona Wildcasts. We'll be watching, y'all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I.
Speaker 4: Anytime I've always filled out a bracket, I'm always very biased towards Pac ten schools because I grew up in the you know, on the West Coast, and I grew up around Berkeley and Stanford and watching or you know, all the old Pack ten schools. So I'm very Pack ten bias on of my brackets. So does that mean I gotta go Big ten bias now? Like I'll go the Pac ten guys teams in the Big ten. That's usually how I'll formulate how I'm gonna pick my bracket, So I have like minutes to do it by now. But yeah, March Madness is always fun. Wake up in the morning, there's games all day, You're taking a dump, You're looking at your phone. Someone just fucking upset someone.
Speaker 2: You're like, how is there a game on right now? Like, March madness is literally madness.
Speaker 1: And you pray for a Cinderella team every single year. Is so cool when you like fourteenth seed, you know, team be a number three seed team like those upsets is what makes March madness. You just love every moment of that. And then also a player that's never been heard before turns into like a superstar just overnight because of March Madness. That's what it's all about. It's not about, you know, watching the number one seeds dominate a number sixteen seed and win it at all. It's about the whole process of March madness, you know, underdog winning.
Speaker 4: I remember watching Steph Curry at Davidson fucking balling during March Madness. I think what year was that. I think, well, I don't know if I was in the league in college.
Speaker 1: But yeah, speaking of Steph Curry, he's actually the new assistant GM at Davidson Basketball. I don't know how he's going to do that while he's playing for the Golden State you know Warriors, you know, in the NBA. But he's a new GM assistant GM at Davidson. I mean, you got to have a GM now because of the NIL It's it's pretty wild. It's basically treated like you know, a pro team. So you gotta have a GM, you gotta have a head coach, you got to be able to have someone that has the financials as well.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 1: And they got Curry as assistant GM, which is which is pretty cool. I think he's making history as like the first active player to do that in any pro pro sport. So you know, that's really cool. Shout out to Davidson to doing that. Shout out to Jack as well, Jack my man. So yeah, that's what's going on. That's what's came with him.
Speaker 4: That's gnarly. But yeah, March madness. It all started in March madness. Now he's the first active player GM for a college, which is if you told us that ten years ago, you'd be what the fuck you talking about? Like, I don't know, I don't worry, But let's get back to football. It's the new year of football. It's officially in the books. What's that March one or something? March five? Free agency craziness has been going around. Have you been watching some of these deals? Do you have a New Year's NFL New Year's Kiss yet?
Speaker 1: I haven't watched any of the deals. On what was it Monday, I was busy a little bit, but then I caught up with everyone and everything about free agency that's going on and boom. Let me tell you, it's like WHOA a new shocker right to your face, Like your eyes just open wide because of just so many deals that happened, you know, especially if you're not checking your phone every minute, because there was a new deal every five minutes. So then if you didn't see what was going on all day, like you're sitting there for an hour like I was Monday night, just checking out all the deals that were going down, and it's just so fun to catch up. And what's so crazy about the NFL is that they made it a twenty four to seven, three hundred and sixty five days, year round process. Now they made it so you're intrigued at all times. I mean, no one really talks about the Philadelphia Eagles winning the Super Bowl anymore. It's all about your team now going forward into the twenty twenty five season and having so much hope for him and talking about the trades and why they're going to be good, and talking about the guy that you got in free agency and that's why you're gonna win the Super Bowl this year. So the NFL is doing such a superior job at keeping the fans engaged all year around. And you got to give a shout out to the NFL for doing that. Man, I mean, look at free agency happened, and now they're already talking about the draft. I mean the draft. I mean, hold on, everyone's not even signed Jet and we're talking about the draft still, Like that's how crazy it is and how intriguing it is as well.
Speaker 4: Then after the draft, we'll talk about OTAs and mini camps. After many camps, we'll talk about, oh, training camp.
Speaker 1: In the camp, you talk about all the guys getting in trouble between tas and training camp, so a couple in between, and then that's when you don't want to be in the news. Jewels, is that period right there, that's the dead period and it's slow for everyone. If you're in the news, that's no good.
Speaker 4: So shout out to all you young football players. There's a high risk part of like when you're gonna get arrested, it's usually when you're away from the facility.
Speaker 2: That break.
Speaker 4: After mini camp to training camp, dial it back, have an uber, don't hit your girl, no guns.
Speaker 2: Let's get started to free agency.
Speaker 1: That's some good advice right there. Listen to it, young bucks. Listen to Jewles.
Speaker 2: Get an uber. Don't hit your girl earl, no guns k.
Speaker 4: It's a especially right after fucking mini camp to especially the training camp. That's like that's the window where the numbers are out. I mean, you're they're probably hearing it right now from a rookie advisor, like yeah, you hear about this of all time, and you.
Speaker 2: Could say, oh, I'm not gonna be that idiot. Why was that idiot? We've all been that idiot.
Speaker 4: So one more guy to reiterate to you younger guys.
Speaker 1: Just call ah uber or call on left or have your body that stays sober drive you and pick you up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or and.
Speaker 4: You know, arguments walk out the room. Okay, pistol in a certain state not gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Okay, we don't.
Speaker 4: Don't try to bring it onto a fucking plane, little little common sense ship.
Speaker 2: Ship.
Speaker 1: It goes a long way.
Speaker 2: If you have to think about it, don't do it.
Speaker 4: If you like, if you're sitting there like, man, if this, I don't know, if they don't do it, and I'm I'm preaching to myself, we'll.
Speaker 2: Be right back after this quick break.
Speaker 4: Let's jump into this free agent frenzy, and let's start out with some of these fucking signings that the Patriots had. They signed some they've been spending that Gouda. They had the most money in free agency this year, and they were talking about spending, and they went out and spent it. Got Milton Williams, de tackle from the Super Bowl champion Philadelphia Eagles.
Speaker 1: Well, the Eagles wanted to keep them, but they just didn't have the cap space. And they are you have just so many dominant players on their defensive line that are young bucks that they're gonna eventually have to pay. So they had to let Milton Williams go. And you know, the Patriots gave him the most richest contract and Patriots history. I mean, what is it? A four year, like one hundred million dollar deal. I think it's a good deal. It's not like they overpaid. I think it was very fair. You know, he's a great player, He's gonna make a difference.
Speaker 4: On that got to spend it, and you have to spend it. And he always built the team through the trenches. Okay, this is a splash. I don't know what kind of guy he is, but I'm sure they did their homework. You got a guy like Rabes there, he knows what winnings like this, Williams Country, This is awesome. The team needed that. Like and the money, that's not even like you can't address the money because no one's really been paid a big contract with the Patriots since Tom That was like eight ten years ago, which so those numbers aren't going to be high. So like him going in having the richest contract in Patriot history, that's just due to the numbers and what the league is now from when we gave a big contract out to another guy.
Speaker 2: Would you agree?
Speaker 1: I agree with you, man, And if you asked me as well, do I think Bill would have made that deal? Yes, I do, especially if he was in that situation with that much cap space and he needed a defensive lignment, well especially a defensive alignment. He would have paid it because it's a defensive guy and he loves bringing in those defensive guys and paying them as well. So I think Bill would have one made a move like this as well in this situation with that much cap space. It just overall, the fans wanted to see the Patriots spend too. They didn't want to see them sit back, relax and hopefully a guy falls into their lap for you know, a good deal. No, they went out, they spent, and the Patriot fans appreciated it too, because they want to see those type of guys out on the field. They want to see a winning formula. And I feel like they're on the right you know, projectory and going in the right direction right now with all these moves that they made.
Speaker 2: I wish they got more linemen.
Speaker 4: Like the center, Like look, d A just retired or I got cut, So you know, you wish him a what a great career, nine ten seasons with us. I remember when he was a young pup, eight time captain, two Super Bowls, Like, he's a stud. What what was the lineman that went.
Speaker 1: I think the Atlanta Falcons to the Chicago Bears. Yeah, yeah, is that what we're talking about. I don't know exactly, but I saw that guy. He went from he's on the market to the Bears. Regardless, the Patriots needed to grab him, especially if they knew that's one guy the Patriots missed out on was the center from the Falcons who the Chicago Bears picked up. They should have paid him whatever he wanted.
Speaker 4: They got Tony as well, like the Bears had. They've they've picked up. Like I know, Tony's probably gonna be expensive and he's on the other side of thirty. But Drew Dolman, like we could have they could have got, Like there's been a lot of money given to players that they need, like they got Morgan Moses, but he's he's kind of an older guy, you know, and in you know, three years, twenty four mil eleven guaranteed he's he's just there probably for veteran presence and to swing and probably try to help someone that they bring in. I mean, they're gonna need them. They need line more line. I love I love the I like the Carlton Davis signing. I think that the Patriots now have two like legit lockdown corners. Like I think Carlton Davis is a number two behind Gonzo. Like they're gonna do a lot. You get inside pressure with Milton. The signing of Landry on the outside, he's he's a good football player, plays hard, has some has some experience with Rabel in Rabel system. So like, I love what they're doing on defense offense. I just need I want to protect the kid more. I don't know what they're gonna do in the draft. So like I don't have any I haven't been talking to anyone, but like love it. They need to protect they got to protect him more line. Let's get more lined, you know what I mean. Look at these teams that have the best, the best teams in the league right now have have line we need to get.
Speaker 1: We need to still go out and get a star wide receiver. I mean that might be the draft. I like the Mac Collins more.
Speaker 2: I like Mac Collins though. I like him.
Speaker 1: He's a good pick up because he's great at special teams and special teams a key factor, especially with Mike Vrabel being in charge. That's always been a Patriots tradition.
Speaker 4: I like him because they are They have a young football room. They have a young receiver room with a bunch of young, younger talent in there, specifically right now. Mac Collins. He's a professional, like he's got a bunch of antics where he does the barefoot stuff in public and dresses like this. But I've heard he like I know him. He's a hard working dude. He's mature. He has his public persona of what he is, but he gets a bad rap for that. But he's a professional, like when he's at work, he's a pro. So them having a professional in that room, I think it's gonna be big because he's coming from a winning program.
Speaker 2: He's coming from the big dogs.
Speaker 4: He's been around the league on a bunch of teams. So I like the mccollins signing.
Speaker 1: When was the last one you were bearfot in public? Jewels?
Speaker 4: I used to do the grounding number after practice in like spring, I would ground.
Speaker 1: I'm a believer in that.
Speaker 4: Because I think that's why he started it. He grounded like we were doing that like ten years ago, fifteen years ago, you ground after practice because they were doing in the EPL member English Premier League, we had a John Sullivan sports scientist that we used to have with the Patriots. He was over big with the EPL English Premier League sports scientists and they used to ground the soccer players after a long running session because it helps you balance or something.
Speaker 2: So we all started doing it.
Speaker 1: Remember, I do, I believe in it, man, I like it if you definitely want to reset your body as well. You're rhythmic, you know your rhythmic circulation or what is it? Rhythmic? Yeah, rhythmatic rhythmic rhythm. Oh my gosh, it's a difficult word to say.
Speaker 2: Rhythmatic circulation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, rhmatic circulation. It puts you back on the normal sweep schedule that you're supposed to be back on. So grounding helps out big time. And you saw mac holland's dress up as a muppet last year too, when he was on the Buffalo Bills. Do you think he could dress up as one, you know? Or what muppet should he dress up as this year? Jules Now being on the Patriots, you think that will be fly, you know, being with Rabel or.
Speaker 2: What I mean.
Speaker 4: If they're winning and he's producing, I think that's going to be the key.
Speaker 2: Like all that stuff.
Speaker 4: Like when you're on a winning football team, all that stuff works, you know, I don't know, it's a little different if you're not winning, you're not producing and you're not playing and you do that stuff. So I think a lot of that is situational for in depending on each player, each different team.
Speaker 2: You know, that's all situational to me.
Speaker 1: And then it's going back to their free agency. They picked up outside linebacker Harold Landry three years, forty five million. He's always got a vrabel guy from Tennessee. He's a pass rusher, and that's what the Patriots needed last year, was a was a pass rusher to get to the quarterback and put pressure on the quarterback. So their defense is looking strong. They went out they took care of what, you know, of the positions they needed to to take care of. On the defensive side, they're going to be very solid and you know, Vrabel's d might be looking like, you know, the type of defenses Belichick had back in the day as well. You know, you got to earn it, you know, you got to beat the guys to you know, you know, get first downs and touchdowns. So that was a good signing there. But we need guys on the offensive side of the ball. We don't know there is that game plan, but we need some more lineman and we need some more skilled players out there for Drake May and then I feel like the Patriots will compete where they really need to compete. They'll be at that level. Free agency is not over yet. There's some receivers out there as well. They can make some trades, but go out there, get some linemen, get a playmaker as well, and then I think they'll be set. And I Drink I think Drink May will take off, you know, to the level that he needs to in his second year.
Speaker 4: I think everyone also has to take a second and be reminded that free agency and is kind of like.
Speaker 2: Foo's gold, you know, fools gold where you know, like we're.
Speaker 1: A little off today, jewels, whatever pronunciations, fools, gold, fools goal, fools gold.
Speaker 4: Like because if these got like, if you're going to free agency and if you're that great of a player, there's a reason why the team is not signing you.
Speaker 1: I like your direction. You're going right now, keep going, keep going.
Speaker 4: I just think that, like you always, there's a lot of free agents that get paid a lot of money to go be a whole filler at you know, another team that does a different thing, that has a different identity of the different scheme that there's like more cases that they don't work out than they when they do work out. You know, there's cases where they do work out. Look at you know, Kansas City with you know, revamping that offensive line five years ago with Tony draft in. They revamped that through the help of developing their team through guys in the draft and bringing in guys. So I think that like free agencies, like you're not gonna make your team the best. It's possibly because you're not gonna win a Super Bowl over free agency. I think you you put your team the best teams that we were always a part of. We'd bring free agents in, but we built our team through the draft and you got to develop your players. So like, these guys are good players that can come in at the last part of you trying to become the team you want to be, but like to be and grow a foundational team. That's why I think free agencies fools. Gold you understand making any sense and.
Speaker 1: You're making totose sense to me. Juels, I totally understand where you're going with.
Speaker 2: That, because you look at our teams. You look at our teams, you look at.
Speaker 1: It because of all the guys that we drafted, that Bill drafted, it was all core guys. You got to have that core base of you know, within your team, at the solid base of guys that have been there, that been through the rigger, that have been together for a couple of years, you know, four or five, six years together, and then you in other guys just to just fill in the bits and pieces. Look at the Philadelphia Egles, they have those core guys. That's why they were champions this year. The Kansas City Chiefs, they have all those core guys. Those are the best teams. Every once in a while you see a team progress, you know, from like last to first because of free agency, but you barely see that ever happen. So it's like fools gold. Like you said, it's like trickery. They go out and they get all these players and they think they're gonna be great and then boom, it just never happens because they don't have that solid foundation still, like you were just talking about, look at the Dream Team when they had with the Philadelphia Eagles back in like two thousand and what thirteen it was, They're like, all, this team's going to the super Bowl. They went like, I don't know, I just know. They didn't have a winning record, didn't even make the playoffs, and everyone's hyping them up because of free agency.
Speaker 4: So this is just a reminder like these are exciting times and these are awesome players that are coming to your team, but this isn't that. This isn't gonna make your team that yet. That has to come through foundational building, through like the GM coaching all together, and then it's kind of like putting the freaking whatever.
Speaker 2: Like the free.
Speaker 4: Agencies are like lights, and like the star on a Christmas tree, it's not the tree. The tree is the thing that you're decorating, you know what I mean. So like it's a good star that it makes the fucking thing happen, but it ain't.
Speaker 2: It's not like you could live without it.
Speaker 4: Like you've seen some sick Christmas trees without a fucking star, an expensive star that they did from now what I mean?
Speaker 1: Analysis right there, Jules, you hit it right on, man, that's exactly what it's like. And you're not and you don't even celebrate Christmas, and you're still hitting it right on.
Speaker 2: We do both.
Speaker 1: You are our house, Yeah, you do do both. But you know what I mean, Yeah, I mean, what do you think about Joe Cardono being the last dude from our era still on the New England Patriots Jewels and then Wilsll What do you think it says about the new regimen?
Speaker 2: The new regimen?
Speaker 4: Well, Joe being the last one standing doesn't surprise me. He's a navyman. M he's a navyman, you know what I mean? Those guys like he was a professional you know, like when you went to work, he was he was always like on time, worked his ass off, great leader by example. So like that's I expect Joe Cardonia to be one of the last guys standing, you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean, because that's the kind of fucking guy he is.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is the this is he was like one of the first guys because we had a couple of different Navy guys Eric Ktani, this, that, and they couldn't like they wouldn't allow the free age and to stay on the team because they still had to serve. He was the first one, I think to be able to stay on an NFL team will also being an active sailor where they let him play the season all year and then in the offseason he'd have to go to Newport, Rhode Island and serve while we all were on vacation, like our time off, so like all offseason he had to serve.
Speaker 2: So like what do I think.
Speaker 4: I think it's amazing that Joe's the last guy from our our era, and I also I expected it because he's that's the kind of guy he is.
Speaker 2: The admiral that's where we go down with the ship goes down with the fucking ship.
Speaker 1: What do you think the Patriots should do with the fourth overall pick now that you see what they've done in free agency, does that change anything with them having number four overall, which they should have number one overall and they would be sitting pretty But they just beat the Buffalo Bills in that meaningless game. That just shows how big of a difference that win was. Man, they would be sitting pretty pretty if they had that number one pick. Joe Millton looked like a superstar. I can tell you that when he played. And obviously when you start your backup quarterback, he's gonna ball out, He's gonna give it his all. So like that was a tough situation. But I'm just saying they would be sitting pretty right now with them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's not as bad, Like it's not as bad as when it first happened. Now looking at the draft of players were pulling from I guess right now because they don't have like it's not a so called quarterback heavy draft, so like there wouldn't be if you had the one, there wouldn't be that many players that are gonna like want to trade up to that one because that's what you honestly want to do with that one is try to trade back and collect a lot of picks. At least that's what I would try to do, because you have a lot of holes. This fourth pick is kind of like in that you know those guys are getting.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't think it's as bad as I was a little disappointed when that first happened. But I don't think it's as bad because you can get the players you want at that four. Who do I think they're gonna get. I don't I don't know who they're gonna get. I'd want more line now. I probably wouldn't go Travis Hunter. I probably wouldn't because Carlton Davis signing right, Yes, that's a that's another good corner, Christian Gonzalez as well. Christian Gonzalez corner they don't need. And is here is here a finished product at receiver? I don't know, you know what I mean. He's a really good defensive back that plays on offense a lot, and he played I mean, it was remarkable to see how many plays he played a game throughout the whole season. But I don't know if that's sustainable in the National Football League. I don't know if you could do that, and I think he's is he playing corner?
Speaker 1: No one knows what he's playing yet. I think that'll be figured out once he gets you know, to OTA's.
Speaker 4: So then yeah, I don't know. I would probably go, what, what's is it a Is it a lineman heavy draft?
Speaker 2: No, No, it's not.
Speaker 1: You can't is there can't take alignment fourth overall, that's just a reach. That's too much of a reach. If you're gonna take a lineman.
Speaker 2: For it, and I would trade out, I would trade back.
Speaker 1: I would trade out of it and then take an offensive linement.
Speaker 4: It's either because there's a lot of receivers in this in this draft, right, there's a lot of receivers.
Speaker 1: I think they need a trade out of it. I think they trade back, either get an offensive lineman the first one on the board, or they take a wide receiver that's gonna be available between like ten and fifteen, between.
Speaker 4: Which I think there's gonna be some guys there, and I think there's you want more of a polished, route running, conceptual receiver for a younger quarterback than like just you know, I don't know, Well, if.
Speaker 1: You're talking about a more Polish, you know, young buck like that. They got to go with Tate McMillan out of University of Arizona where I went to school, a baby.
Speaker 2: Times, pushing up, pushing over.
Speaker 1: He's got a great head on his shoulders and a guy athletic. Man, he's athletic, he's big, he can body out defenders. And he actually went against Travis Hunter plenty of times over his college days and he he did some work, man. I mean, they had some battles, but that just shows pro and pro right there, and he got open and and did his thing against Travis Hunters. So I think Tate McMillan would be a very good pickup for well if they trade back a little bit. Yeah, right at like ten to fifteen.
Speaker 2: See I heard.
Speaker 4: I heard Tate McMillan actually rented Rob's old house that has all the bras in the tree with his that he rented with his brothers from Arizona. So that's the only reason he's he's saying that we should pick him, that's what you're saying.
Speaker 1: No, we need to grab him and he can bring the with them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, I I just want I want to protect Drake, So whatever that entails I'm not a GM. I don't think I have any of that kind of knowledge. But for me, whatever it takes to get protection, I think you want to protect him before you want to get him weapons. Let him learn how to run the offense, and then started throwing some nice weapons on the outside.
Speaker 1: All right, Team Matt with the number twelve pick overall, after we trade back, and then we get an offensive lineman in the second and it too because I will have two second round picks and we grab two offensive linemen in the second round. I think that's the way we should go.
Speaker 2: Jueles, you can never you can never have enough pass rushers. We'll be right back after this quick break.
Speaker 1: Well, Jewels, let's get into free agency moves around the league on offense.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: We just talked about out to the New England Patriots, where they still have some void. But let's get to the other teams now, and let's check out these contracts.
Speaker 4: Look at this list right now, Rob m what's the first one that hits you first?
Speaker 1: Aaron Rodgers not signing with a team yet, that hits me first. I don't think yet in free agency anyone was really overpaid. I think the market was kind of you know, played where it was supposed to be played. For example, it wasn't like Sam Donald went out there and became the highest paid quarterback I think where he signed with Seattle and was paid three years, one hundred million dollars right around thirty you know, three million dollars a year. I think Biger Mayfield deal, right, Yeah. I think that was a great signing by the Seattle Seees. I think that's where he fits in. You know, I think with the market, I think some of these other teams have overpaid their quarterbacks tremendously.
Speaker 2: I gotta cut you off, all right, I got it.
Speaker 4: The one thing about Sam Donald, what did I want to know? What was the bottom line number that Minnesota had for him? You don't think they tried to sign him at all.
Speaker 1: I think they they had to try to sign him, but I'm probably pretty sure it was like a deal where it was like, I can't take that. I'm sorry. If I was the Sam Donald's camp, so he went, it was probably like to how much here twenty twenty twenty five MILLI year. I'd probably say twenty five MILLI year.
Speaker 4: So he got seven more here m h a year. So this is a three year deal. All right, how do you think Sam Donald's gonna do in Seattle when they just they let go one of the I love n Jigba Smith, but they just let go of DK Metcalf. They have a defensive minded coach who's really good on defense, but he's not an offensive guru. Where you know Minnesota has that. Like, if I'm Sam Darnold and it's a three year deal, which you're basically trying to hit free agency again in a couple of years, that's pretty much a two year deal right there. That's a two year deal. I would have done it for like maybe eight million dollars less. With the team that you know you're gonna hit on, you have rapport with, you have the best receiver duo with Addison and Justin Jefferson and Hawkinson and Jones and the like. You have a really good team around you. You have a good offensive line. You have a head coach that is an offensive minded head coach that got you playing the best football you've ever played in your life. Like I just wanted, That's what I questioned. What was the bottom line number that Minnesota gave because.
Speaker 2: Then I I just I don't.
Speaker 4: Know if if Sam's gonna be the same Sam he was in Minnesota in Seattle. With what he has around him in Seattle, I think he's a little better. He's a better Geno Smith. He's a better Geno Smith, but he's nothing like he's a he's a more athletic in a younger Geno Smith.
Speaker 1: Do you even think that Minnesota even made an offer or they're like, hey, no, no, that's why I appreciate what you did for our organization, but we're gonna go with our young buck. Because that happens many many times in the NFL. It's always about the up and coming young buck. You know that that's coming through man. That's the NFL for you. That's just how it is. That's how business is done. So they might have not even given him offer and just said, hey, we're gonna let you hit free agency.
Speaker 4: They may have, but that that must tell you that they must really love JJ m McCarthy to have a kid that's never thrown a ball in a meaningful NFL game, To let someone leave your building, Sam Darnold go somewhere else, who just was in MVP talks all the way up until Week sixteen. Week sixteen of the National Football League MVP talks Week sixteen of the NFL like that, that's like JJ McCarthy better be the guy.
Speaker 1: Well, JJ McCarthy's into grounding as well, so he may be the guy. But hear me out on this. Jewels Aaron Rodgers to the Minnesota Vikings for a year or two? How does that sound? Does that make sense? Is that accurate? Would that be a good good fit?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't think so, because it's probably gonna be more money than what Sam Darnold was, or if not, probably in that same ballpark.
Speaker 2: What if he's like, hey.
Speaker 1: I'll play for fifteen to twenty million this year. I got enough money in the bank, which she sure does.
Speaker 2: Like do they still like JJ McCarthy.
Speaker 4: Are they doing this because they don't they think JJ McCarthy's gonna be good in the future, or they don't think he's a guy?
Speaker 1: They would do that because they think JJ McCarthy is gonna be good in the future, and he's also coming off an injury, so they're not sure how ready is gonna be. It can't do it, basically gonna be like his rookie year again.
Speaker 2: Then I won't I won't do it, then I won't do it.
Speaker 1: All right, If they think JJ McCarthy is going to be the future, I wouldn't do it. Then.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't do it because I don't think Aaron Aaron Rodgers, I don't think he's a type of guy that's like a let me mentor a young guy anymore.
Speaker 2: We just you know what I mean over it.
Speaker 4: He comes in with such an aura where he's not like that that's just not possible for like him being in the same quarterback room with the guy that's gonna be the feutre, Like I just can't see that.
Speaker 2: That's tough for me to see.
Speaker 4: And then you know, like they got good things in that that locker room going and I I just you know Aaron's is he gonna be there during organized team activity?
Speaker 2: Is he gonna do this?
Speaker 4: Like there's a lot of stuff that comes along with Aaron, and they got a good thing going right now.
Speaker 2: They don't need that right.
Speaker 4: Now if they think this kid's the future, all right, and if they I think if they if they were gonna do that, then I think they would have kept Sam Darnold m hm, all right.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't think see I don't think, but I could be completely wrong. Watch when this thing goes down.
Speaker 1: Yep, I feel you. I understand where you're coming from. Because if JJ McCarthy's the future, you just want to go all all in with the guy that you think is the future. So he just can bring it all right from the beginning and just unleash him. That makes sense, totally makes sense. And then what about that Justin Fields? So you know, going to the New York Jets two years, forty million dollar deal, thirty million guarantees, So basically he's going to be on the roster for the two years with the thirty million guaranteed. I mean, he reunites with former OSU teammate Garrett Wilson, and it just feels like, you know, I feel like it's the right moveol for Justin Fields. But at the same time, the Jets starting quarterback position, it just seems like it's just cursed. It really does. Man. I mean, you got Geno Smith who was there, you had Sam Darnold who were there, and now they're booming since they've been off the roster for the Jets. You know, Aaron Rodgers goes there, he didn't play bad at all. His numbers were pretty legit, but just overall it just seemed like it wasn't going the right way. And now justin Fields goes does he break the curse? What do you think about this move? Jules?
Speaker 4: I think he's a This is a bridge quarterback move. This is someone who you know, the team probably likes that. He didn't turn the ball over last year and with the Steelers he had a lot of growth, had a lot of improvement in his career or in his craft. But who is very athletic, and they kept on talking about wanting to move the pocket, right didn't they want to move the pocket with the Jets and be more athletic at the position. And so I think he's he's a good bridge quarterback where they'll be competitive. Uh, but I don't expect them to do anything, you know what I mean. I think they'll be competitive. Hopefully they they I don't I don't know what that move, you know, I don't know what that that is.
Speaker 1: So would be the Jets. Once again, Jewels makes sense makes sense.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm not trying to say that it's like a bad signing. It's just like, what what else do they have going? Are they gonna they got to build up that good defense and then have justin Like that's what are they gonna play that formula like Steelers ball?
Speaker 1: Mm hm, Well, I can tell you this if you're talking about that for row like Steelers ball and you don't know who to start justin fields or or.
Speaker 2: The formula where you play really good defense.
Speaker 1: Not too far back to bait.
Speaker 4: Okay, essentially what with the formula what the Steelers have been last like since Big Ben has left, Like having a really good defense that takes a ball away, that has explosion plays, that has a quarterback that doesn't turn the ball over, that will situationally run and take off.
Speaker 2: M hm. That's kind of what they're looking at. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, this one was intriguing to me, which I could. I think it was the overpaid a little bit, you know at this position, and it's the Indianapolis coach signing Daniel Jones to a one year, fourteen million dollar deal. I mean, I feel like with the way that backup quarterbacks have been getting paid, I feel like it should have been like a five million dollar deal with maybe incentives that can go up to fourteen million. Fifteen million. If you're the you know, if you're the starter throughout the year and you have playing time and you got Richardson versus Jones, that's going to be a quarterback battle in Indy. And they were the two lowest qbrs in twenty twenty four. And I can tell you this, when you got two quarterbacks that are battling like they were what they were doing with Richardson and Joe Flacco last year, if they're going to be starting Richardson some games, if they're going to be, you know, starting Daniel Jones some game, when you have two quarterbacks, you actually don't have a quarterback in my opinion, like you don't really have a team that's going to be essentially focused on what you're going to do because you don't know who the guy's gonna be and it's just too much going on switching guys up and your game plans are getting switched up. So I think if Daniel Jones does beat out Richardson, then it's a fair deal. But if they brought him in to be the backup to Richardson, I think like a five million, six million, seven million dollar deal would have been more efficient, you know, for the coach compared to all these other backup quarterbacks like Matt Jones he got two years seven million, Jimmy g he got one year, four and a half. You know the Pats backup quarterback who they just brought in. They signed like what two years, like something small. So what do you think about that situation? I want to hear your opinion.
Speaker 4: This is a last call for Richardson. This is Hey, we're bringing this guy in to compete with you. If you can't beat him out, you're not the guy. If he beats you out, all right, he's a good bridge quarterback until we find another guy.
Speaker 2: Let him build off that.
Speaker 4: Now you list off a name of guys that are backups. Mac Jones two for seven, this, that, and then other. Daniel Jones has a playoff win. Daniel Jones won a playoff game. Daniel Jones. I've been such a guy that's like, oh, Daniel Jes this. But Daniel Jones, through being hated on in the New York media, this guy still came to work every day and was a fucking professional from what I've heard. You know, he looks the part in shorts. He knows the Reids. For whatever reason, they never got it done consistently in New York and he's gone. But I do understand that fourteen millions, that's the going rate for a backup quarterback that's gonna play.
Speaker 2: That's the rate now.
Speaker 4: And if you bring in all these you talk about other guys, Daniel Jones was a starting quarterback for three years, got a second contract with a team. Regardless of what you want to say that this is what the agent is telling the team. Hey, Daniel Jones got a playoff win. He's gonna come in and compete. This is how much he costs. So I think it's a good move because competition makes the best. This isn't gonna be a two quarterback system. This is gonna be either Richardson plays or Jones plays. And if Jones plays, that means Richardson's probably on his way out.
Speaker 2: M hm, that's what I think.
Speaker 1: No, I like you breaking down that situation.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: It sounds appropriate, sounds right. And then also it's a fair deal if Daniel Jones does play. I was actually comparing his deal to the other deals. But those other guys, they know they're not going to be they're true backups. Daniel Jones might be vying for the starting role at fourteen million dollars. So that does make sense that that is what it says. It says, Daniel Jones, we might need you as our starter. So if you can beat out Richardson, Hey here's fourteen million dollars, you're not that's not true backup money, true backup moneys. Are the other contracts that we're talking about.
Speaker 4: The cold turn bringing him in to just be the backup. This is that contract tells me they're hey, this is you coming in to compete for the job.
Speaker 1: M hm.
Speaker 4: So you know that that's what that tells me, at least from afar. Kenny Picky going to Cleveland, got to shout out that old little trade, Kenny two gloves.
Speaker 1: You think he's a future in Cleveland? Possible? Is there a chance? Is there a slight chance that he's the future? Like he was a first round pick, had a great career in Pittsburgh, you know, at the college in Pittsburgh, and then you know, got first round to the Pittsburgh Steelers and got traded to Philadelphia Eagles. He knows what it takes now to win his Super Bowl. He saw Jalen Hurts did it. He was his backup this year. He has a Super Bowl ring now gets traded over to Cleveland. He has a possible shot at playing this year Jules and starting for the Cleveland Browns. I mean, he's already got a couple of starts under him. Is he the future at all? Is there a slight chance?
Speaker 4: I don't know, But when I see this, I just say, man, Howie Roseman, look at him, that dirty dog getting a fifth round pick for Kenny Pickett. Guys, easy game, give him DTR.
Speaker 2: We're getting DTR too. He's got some he's got some wins under his belt.
Speaker 1: He sure does.
Speaker 4: Look at Look at how Hero. You know, is he the It's hard to be the future in Cleveland?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 4: So yeah, point, I think their future is in Tampa right now that they got rid of, and that's Baker Mayfield. The future that they had they got rid of, so they browned it somehow. And I feel terrible for the Cleveland Browns because I went to school in Northeast Ohio, and I know those people, fucking they live die. B reed the Browns and and they're fed up with it. So I feel bad for Kenny having to go into this situation because that's gonna be a tough situation regardless, and I love everyone there. You know, Chatty O'Shea is there, and we know all our boys are. It's just a tough fucking place. That quarterback thing, that quarterback contract put them in the grave.
Speaker 1: M hm.
Speaker 4: Shut out Miles Garrett. At least they got him paid and stayed there. But which of these movies he things is gonna work out the best?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go with m We didn't really talk much about it. Actually, I was gonna say Gino Smith, but he wasn't a free agent. He got traded, so he's kind of not in this category now because he was just traded. I want to say, Sam Donald, you know, you kind of brought it up that you're not sure how he's going to perform for the Seattle Seahawks because he knew the system in Minnesota that he should have stayed there, no matter you know how much money they were giving him, that he had, you know, the talent around him to be the guy.
Speaker 2: You know, are we on quarterbacks right now?
Speaker 1: I think no, We're not just on quarterbacks. We're on everyone overall. But I do truly think that Sam Donald will be the guy that they're looking for in Seattle now that Sam knows what it takes, you know, to get the job done, you know, like he did this year in Minnesota. Seattle went out and got him for a reason. They're gonna put the weapons around him that they need to and it will be a value deal, you know, to where he will perform to the value that he's.
Speaker 4: At league wide free agencies.
Speaker 1: I really liked Joey signing with the Buffalo Bills. I mean, I can't believe he didn't renite with his brother, and it's in San Francisco, Like, how do you not want to play with your brother on the other side of the ball, especially being two edge rushers. That would be one of the coolest things to see as just a fan to see two brothers going getting after the quarterback. Imagine just them both getting a half sack at the same time, one going high, one going low, and just demolishing the quarterback. And then they get up and they're like brothers at the shoulders and hips jewels, one at the shoulders, one at the hips. That's not a penalty of them, That's what I was referring to. And then they're like the bash brothers and they have some you know, Bosa dance that they do after and the crowd goes wild, the fans go wild, and every time they, you know, get a half sack together, it's like highlighted all over the place. That's just been cool to see.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but this isn't a Disney movie, and the forty nine ers aren't a winning team. And Joey Bosa said, hey, let me go try to chase one and go to the Buffalo Bills. Okay, this ain't a Disney movie.
Speaker 2: I like that. I like the DeVante Adams going to the Rams. It is.
Speaker 1: I mean, Matthew Stafford needs that guy out there out in that field. I mean, Matthew Stafford still has it. He played at a high level last year. He's gonna play at a high level this year. They got that contract situated out that he's staying now with the La Rams, So DeVante Adams is gonna shine. I mean, he got paid again, bro. I can't believe that money that he got. I was understanding like maybe like a two year, thirty million dollar deal. But he got paid. And now Stafford can throw it to Puka at any time. He can throw to DeVante Adams anytime. He's got the Kyrie out of the backfield too, at the running back position. I mean, they're gonna be looking nice. Sean mcvaigh knows what he's doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is something that they needed all last year they struggled in like red area targets and like guys that could win outside the numbers, you know, like having Coop and Pooka. Those guys, they were too much the similar guys. They're really good at intermediate routes, shorter routes, they'll get you over the top, but they're not They're not Like they're really good paired with a guy that can open up the top and and be a traditional X. Those guys are like F and Z's you know what I mean. I do DeVante Adams an X like you could put him and say, hey, you go, we're going to factors as well X factors. So I think that's gonna be huge for their offense. Now, did they play pig? Did Puoka and DeVante play or did they play pig for the number? Because I know Davante got seventeen and I heard Pooka go on to McAfee and say they had to play pig for it. So I'm just taking it that Pooka lost it. Pook You lose You lost that pig, Pooka, you lost that pig, Pooger you love he did he lose that pig for the number.
Speaker 1: You can't be losing that pig for the number. You can't be doing that. You gotta at least be getting paid. I mean, you're a young buck. You don't have a contract yet. Hopefully Devonte ed up some of that money and handing it over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he got it, he got he got it. He got a lot of them, a lot of those.
Speaker 1: Or maybe he's just a good guy like that. And I think Pooko probably think like like you know, throughout his childhood. I mean, how do you not look up at DeVante Adams if you're a young buck wide receiver, especially when he comes on the roster. I mean, it's easy to just hand over the jersey number because it's DeVante Adams, one of the best wide receivers to ever play the game. So, I mean, I'm sure there was some negotiations. I don't know how it truly went down soon.
Speaker 2: Coming.
Speaker 1: No one's ever tried to get my number.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Eighty seven is my number, Jewels, no one's coming for it. And when I got to Tampa. There was some no name or wide receiver whether it and I literally said give me that number, and he's like, no problem, ground here it is. I was like, that's right, mofo, hand that number, Rover, that's mine. In the in the Tampa Bay was like the organization was like, that's right, you take control of that number. That number as yours. So I got it right away.
Speaker 2: You give me anything.
Speaker 1: No, it was. It was a guy that I don't even think was on the team when I got there, Like he was there in the off season, but then he wasn't there like after because that was during COVID. I don't even know who it was. But there was someone at the bottom of the roster with eighty seven and they just coughed it over to me. So there was no negotiations. It was nice. I'm just glad that no one legit had it at that time when I got there. Yeah, Jules, what if Drew Blutsoll came out of retirement, would you give up number eleven? Then?
Speaker 2: What year my career.
Speaker 1: Two thousand and sixteen. Nope, right in your prime, a squirrel.
Speaker 3: Not just running all over the touchdowns.
Speaker 2: He's Drew Buzel though I know it's tough.
Speaker 4: Mister Winery, he always we always had a thing because he'd come into a locker room after games and always he always like be rooting for me, even when I wasn't playing this stuff. He was cool. I'd probably give it to him. It's true, you still throw it. We got to talk about these fucking Niners. Just my forty nine ers childhood team just being gutted, only eleven starters from their twenty two remaining from the super Bowl team. They in a full rebuild or what.
Speaker 1: I think they are kind of in a full rebuild? And has Brock the guy that's actually the main question is Brock pretty the guy in San Francisco? And how much do you pay him?
Speaker 2: When are they gonna pay him? I have to got him right.
Speaker 1: They gotta let it ride one more year, right, let it ride.
Speaker 2: I don't know if is bruck agent gonna allow that?
Speaker 1: Does he sit out?
Speaker 4: No? I don't think he's kind of guy. I think they'll get something done before. But like, what's that number gonna be? Is it gonna be a five in the front or is it gonna be a four in the front, or is it gonna be a high three in the front.
Speaker 1: I would say, if I was a San Francisco forty nine ers, I'd be really happy if they could sign them with a four in the front anywhere from forty four to forty eight million dollars a year. The front office of the San Francisco forty nine Ers would take that, I believe, and I think that would be a very fair deal for both parties too.
Speaker 4: But I'm Brock Perdi's agent, and I'm gonna sit here and I'm gonna say, you mean to tell me Dak Prescott, a guy that doesn't even have one season worth of playoff wins that my fucking little seventh round quarterback does who's making sixty million dollars, is twelve million dollars better than my guy.
Speaker 2: I can't do that.
Speaker 1: Right As an agent, That's when the egos kick in, and it's always up to you know, the player as well, to tell their agent, Hey, I'm willing to, you know, take less money, a little bit less, not too much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Ron through this situation. Because I've never been through this situation. Go ahead, how does this situation?
Speaker 1: Are you talking about? Jewels? Free agent situation.
Speaker 4: Like when a team's about to unload a truck of money to you, like, do you the conversation you have to your agent, like, hey man, I don't need it all I want I want some to go to the team.
Speaker 1: I mean, you were in this situation, Jules, when you have a free agent. But I wasn't really in this situation either, because it wasn't like I was in the prime of my career when I was in Tampa Bay Bucks. I had the Buffalo Bills they offered me. I think, uh it was one mill or two mil more than what the Tampa Bay Bucks were offering me, you know, to go to go back to Tampa my second year. But literally it didn't matter if the Buffalo Bills offered me five million dollars more. At that time, I knew my mindset was to go back to the Bucks for the second year, you know, out of retirement, and you know, I wanted to play with the Bucks. I was familiar with the situation. I was happy, you know, with the living conditions as well. You got the nice weather, my mom two hours down the street.
Speaker 4: You know, it's kind of like when Godwin probably felt exactly.
Speaker 1: It's exactly how I believe Godwin has felt as well, Like, hey, I got my family here, it's nice weather around twenty four to seven. I know, I know the organization, I know the playbook, and that's how I was feeling at that time.
Speaker 4: So I know the taxes.
Speaker 1: The taxes as well. Yes, So it's not always about getting the most bang for your buck and free agency. It's where you fit in as well. And that's where I fit in, you know, was with the Tampa Bay Bucks at that time. I could have fit in actually with the Buffalo Bills with Josh Allen out about that, but it was truly uh you know, meant for me to be down here still.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's but that was.
Speaker 1: My only situation. It wasn't like ten million dollar difference it was. It was it was I signed one year ten million in Tampa and like Buffalo Bills were offering like one year eleven million. So it wasn't even that big of a of a difference, Jewels. So I actually really never been truly truly in that situation where it's like a five to ten million dollar difference.
Speaker 4: Well, you probably you're in a different mindset than Trudavious war, Javen Hargrave, Dre Greenlaw, hufonga us Check and Deebo because they said they want to go somewhere else for a couple extra million mm hm.
Speaker 1: Well, or it's in different situations, man.
Speaker 4: Man Niners in a full rebuild. I'm not gonna lie when they lost that Super Bowl, and I think I have people around where I said that was their window, that was it, and I I don't want to be because I'm on a text chain with all my high school friends and they're all Niners fans.
Speaker 1: So we're recording this a couple of days into free agency, so a lot of things could change.
Speaker 2: But we thought it'd be fun to look into our crystal ball.
Speaker 1: Oh, the crystal Ball. Let's hear the first read jewels for the crystal Ball.
Speaker 4: Justin Fields will win more games at quarterback for the New York Football Jets than Aaron Rodgers did five games? Will he win five games? Justin Field? I think they're gonna win more five games.
Speaker 1: I'm on the same page. I think this crystal ball is on the right path. This crystal ball knows what it's talking about. So far. I think they went about six games, shoot eight games this year. I think they're gonna show improvement from last year. So the crystal Ball says yes.
Speaker 2: I think I agree with the crystal Ball.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: I think that.
Speaker 4: I think the defense is gonna play a lot better with Aaron Glenn at head coach. Like the defense was good at then they had too much fucking stuff going on in the Jets lock. So like the strength of their team didn't play as the strength of their team last year. I think the strength of their team is gonna get back to being the strength of their team this year because of Aaron Glenn. So I think yes, Justin Fields will have more than five wins or four wins, five games, four wins.
Speaker 1: Number two nuts all right, crystal Ball Number two Mac Jones will start more than three games in San Francisco in two thy and twenty five. Oh, crystal Ball, I'm gonna go against you on this one. I think that's a no. The only way that that is happening is if Brock Perdy gets hurt. But I don't think that's going to be the case. Uh So the crystal Ball on this one says, no, no chance of this happening. Brock Purty is too legit.
Speaker 4: Well, does the crystal Ball not see in the past all the injuries that old Brock Perte has attained.
Speaker 2: Huh, it's not reading. He has been hurt.
Speaker 4: The future is his left tackle, backup left tackle that played a lot because big boy, Big Trent. You know he's been banged up last coup. He's not there. They're they're losing lineman. They don't have debo, you know. Will he be holding on.
Speaker 2: To that ball?
Speaker 4: Ricky Piersoll is his only target right now? Will he be holding on to that? Is Christian McCaffrey playing this year, So we'll see if you say the crystal ball says no, I think crystals.
Speaker 1: No, Oh, wasn't your crystal ball? Your says no to I.
Speaker 2: Think he might play two games, not three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it's more than three, so he actually has to play four games.
Speaker 2: All right, I got I got a crystal ball for you. All right, let's here. The New England Patriots will make the playoffs in there first year under coach Mike Vrayball. Crystal ball, this crystal ball, I think they're going to.
Speaker 1: This crystal ball is feeling today and crystal crystal ball here as well. What's funny is my brother's name is crystal Ball in Spanish, but it's totally spelled different. This is crystal Ball like two separate words. Crystal Ball is just one word. It's a name. So it's kind of reminded me of my brother. My brother is kind of like a genius like that too. He just knows what's going to happen in the future. So crystal balls are smart. So shout out to my brother Chris for being the original crystal Balls. Yeah, shout out grizz Ball and uh, the New England Pitchers, I believe too, along with the crystal Ball will make the playoffs in the first year under Mike Rabel. I feel like the you know, Buffalo Bills will hold it down again and be the champs of the AFC East. But I mean, you got the Jets, they're gonna be all right, you know, nothing special. You got Miami and ain't like they're making moves right now. It's all the same guys from last year. I you know, they're gonna be competitive, they're gonna be right in the middle. But I'm thinking the New England Patriots when Mike Rabel is going to take it up a notch in they're gonna be the team that's going into the playoffs this year as the number two seed and out of not the number two seed overall, but as the number two team, uh making the playoffs, so as a wild card from the AFC East.
Speaker 4: I agree, But my mind went to when you said Miami's gonna be my mind went to, man, all those wine bars in Boca, better watch out for Zach Wilson.
Speaker 2: He just got shipped to town.
Speaker 1: All those moms, mama jamas. You like mom's jewels.
Speaker 2: I love my mom. Gino Smith, Crystal Ball.
Speaker 4: Tino Smith will have triends than Sam Darnold. I'm going yes, I'm going Crystal Balls. Yes, because I think the Raiders are trending up.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: I just like the leadership there.
Speaker 1: I'm going yes as well. All because of my guy Brock Bowers. Man love seeing him. He's gonna have a reliable target at all times. You know, they're gonna have a system that's gonna benefit Geno Smith as well. He's reuniting with head coach Pete Carroll. You got Brady there as well. He's not gonna let this team, you know, be you know in the mid mid level of the pack. He wants to take it up the notch. So I think yes, he outperforms Sam Darnold.
Speaker 2: I agree, I'm going.
Speaker 4: I just think it's gonna be tough for I don't think Seattle has a lot of I mean, they got Walker, they got Smith and Jigba.
Speaker 2: I don't know, man, it's tough that that.
Speaker 4: I don't know if they're gonna he's gonna have the same production as what he had in Minnesota.
Speaker 2: They'll have a really good defense.
Speaker 4: But and that that division's up for the taken in uh, you know, with LA being the NFC West, like Big Dog, I think the other three can can fight each other.
Speaker 2: So but I'm going with I'm going I.
Speaker 4: Believe in Pete Carroll and Gino Smith trying to go out and purposely have more wins than Seattle to show them that they still have it all right.
Speaker 1: And the last crystal ball reading we got here, woo, Cooper Cup will have one hundred catches for one thousand yards and six tds in twenty twenty five, and Roberto's crystal Ball says no, Yes, Cooper Cup will have an impact, but he will not be one hundred catch guy, I say more around, you know, seventy seventy five catches, possibly a thousand yards, possibly six touchdowns. But not a one hundred catch guy. You know he's going to make an impact, he's gonna do well. You know he's going to be a reliable target. But my crystal ball here says, no, he's thirty four years old as.
Speaker 2: Well, thirty one, not thirty four, thirty one.
Speaker 1: Years old as well, So you can still run, still make an impact. But being a hundred catch guy, that's gonna be tough.
Speaker 4: Rob, I had a hundred catches. I had one hundred catches at thirty three.
Speaker 1: Well you're joining, I'll I don't nut.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I think if he he messes around and goes to like the Niners or like one of these systems that will feed them that need them. M hm, hundreds, I mean it's not easy to I'm going, I'm going now, I'm going now.
Speaker 2: I thought he's still he can still.
Speaker 4: It, just don't you don't know if he's gonna be the feature guy anywhere, So no, it's gonna be tough.
Speaker 1: Then he already admit before last season that he's not the feature guy anymore and that Pooka is. Then he say something along those lines.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, from what I could reach call, I think he did so he doesn't want to be the feature guy. I think he wants to be the number two and you know have that you know load taking off his shoulder, which is understandable. I mean, when you hit your thirties, that's kind of what happens.
Speaker 4: It does, it does, unless you know, that's when the wheels start to fall off.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: That was fun. The crystal ball segment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. We need more crystal ball, you know, and.
Speaker 2: The more crystal ball.
Speaker 4: Well, let's get into the chill is Dude to the week, brought to you by our favorite beer, Cores Light. Get Cores Light delivered straight to your door. Visit Coreslight dot com. Slash Dudes celebrate responsibly.
Speaker 1: Look how chill that looks. I can see the Blue mountains from here. It's gonna quench your thirst as well, gonna make you, you know, feel, you know, social feel a little buzz after one or two just to the perfect amount. But shout out to our chill as Dude of the Week presented by those Blue Mountains Corps Light Jewels. And who is the dude of the week this week? Who do we got?
Speaker 4: Got to give it to Cavante Turpin just became the highest paid teamer. That's a chill guy. Three years, eighteen million. We're not we're not, We're not backing the truck in. But he is a teamer that is a great living. He's an unbelievable football player that like has a great story. Came from the other leagues of like what was a USFL was the MVP of that league and then had to work his way into this league, became unstoppable for US where he's made a huge impact in helping his team. Uh, you know, with only a certain amount of plays. That's what the cool thing about being a teamer is. You know, it's good to see a guy like him go out work his tail off, go the long road and get eighteen million dollars.
Speaker 2: What a good number.
Speaker 4: Eighteen million dollars, five point five guaranteed coming off.
Speaker 1: And all season only player in twenty twenty four with a punt return and kick return for a touchdown, you know, highest return average since the merger in nineteen seventy. I mean, this guy, three jet, he's chill. He's one of Bill Belichick's underrated players. I seen him talking about him. You know, we talked about that the last episode as well. You love him. You love teamers, you appreciate teamers.
Speaker 2: Jewels, rials.
Speaker 1: Yes, you were a guy. Also that punt return and kick return, so you know what it takes. You know how special it is to be able to do all those you know, jigs and jags out there on the field to make people miss. So congratulations Cavante Terror, But you are the chillest dude of the week.
Speaker 2: He's so fast it just looks chill.
Speaker 4: And that was the chillest dude of the week thanks to our favorite beer Coopers Lot get Coolers Light delivered straight to your door. Visit corslight dot com.
Speaker 2: Slash dudes and celebrate responsibly.
Speaker 1: And what was super chill about Cavante Turpin that really no one knows about is that he was not even in the NFL when he could have been in the NFL because he was playing for another league, the New Jersey Generals. I'm pretty sure it was the twenty twenty two USFL MVP. And he also played EuroLeague Long Row. So let's go road that developed him into being that the player he is. Pols is why he's so chilled, because he took the long road. He worked at it, and when you work at it. You just chill, Jules, You just chill then, So congratulations.
Speaker 4: And that's the chill and that's the chill Dude of the week. Well, that's been another episode of Dudes on Due.
Speaker 2: Dudes. What could we do better? Next episode?
Speaker 1: What could we do better?
Speaker 2: Next?
Speaker 1: Come on rate and review us. Put it in some comments. What could Jewels and I do better?
Speaker 2: I think we're getting better, We're better.
Speaker 1: This is only our third session over zoom together. I really like it when we're in person, but you know, with our schedules that conflict a little bit. But we are getting better. We're building up the chemistry. We got better microphones, we got better you know, headphones. So we're getting it. We're getting after it.
Speaker 2: You guys, let us know what you want us to do. We want us to do and we'll and rate we'll do it.
Speaker 4: Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Amazon Music, wherever you listen to your podcast, and remember follow Dudes on Dudes on YouTube, Instagram, x TikTok, and snapchat.
Speaker 2: We'll see you guys next week.
Speaker 1: Yes we will. We will see you all next week. Dudes on Dudes. It's a production of iHeart Radio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, Visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.