Speaker 1: Welcome into the Ravens Press Past podcast. It is Monday, April twenty first, and the Ravens kicked off their voluntary off season conditioning program today. This is the start of the team's off season calendar. It's the first team activity since last season ended, and this is a chance for the Ravens to really build a foundation for the upcoming season. Today we had a chance to hear from some of the team leaders. Let's kick things off with Strength and Conditioning coordinator Scott Elliott.
Speaker 2: Thank you guys for coming out and allowing us to talk a little bit about this phase a year. I mean, I think it should go without saying maybe the look on my face. We look forward to this time all year long, especially through February and March. We had a great session today, day one of week one. I was able to talk to the guys as a group. Defense was first, while the offense met and then we had offense second. But in talking to the guys before we got started, three points of discussion or notes with them. One was an appreciation for them being here during the voluntary period.
Speaker 3: How much we take that to.
Speaker 2: Heart and how excited we are to progress the work that they've done on their own during the dead period while wherever they were, whether it was in sunny climates or close by, but we looked to build on that going into Phase two and Phase three get into OTA's and Mini Camp. The second part of it was just talking to him about how the schedule lays out so phase to phase and then really broke it down into the weekly and day schedule. So we had some new guys here that haven't been a part of this process yet, so just broke that down for them to kind of give them a lay of the land to understand how we devise the workouts and the runs, just high level stuff of two days a week, we focused on acceleration, deceleration, change the direction, top end speed. The other two days of the running sessions were worked and we're focusing more on conditioning, so on how those two will compliment each other and we'll progress some week over week getting into Mini camp, you know, to culminate it in June. And then the same thing, just talked about how the lifts will start the foundation phase in the weight room, how we'll progress those in two separate phases to get to the end of June. And then the third thing I'd talked to him about to finish it out before we got moving today was what our mind frame was in here when we ran in the weight room, and then to carry it throughout the building was earn the right. So we've got a big screen as you enter the weight room and each year I try to put a message on there and this year what's stuck with all of us as the strength staff was earn the right. We've been fortunate, but the Ravens to earn a lot along the way and this year it's all about earn the right, so.
Speaker 3: And it's up to them to decide what that right is.
Speaker 2: So it is it earned the right to start fast, to finish games, to play winning football, to earn the right for one more rep, one more set, whatever that is. So we're taking in that as kind of our stance from a mental and perspective standpoint to start this Phase one and hopefully grow it, get into a training camp and then a successful twenty twenty five campaign. So if that'll open up to questions.
Speaker 4: Anything different this year that you've kind of added, especially in Phase one, based off of anything from last year that you.
Speaker 5: Know you decided to change out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, foundationally the phase from last year and then the year prior. It's it is the same in what we're working on now. Tools and toys that we've added along the way we have we have done that. There's a cool down the way here in the way in the indoor as a cool OHM machine. It's an isokinetic machine that allows us to get real time data on their force output, whether they're doing heavy work or speed work.
Speaker 3: So that's a tool we've put into play in the weight room.
Speaker 2: We integrated it last year, being more comprehensive with it this year with a perch system that will measure the bar speed and again it's all in the notion of giving the athlete real time feedback for whatever we're trying to do in that day.
Speaker 3: If they need to move the bar faster, we've got it on the iPad. If they're moving it too fast for.
Speaker 2: Whatever strength quality we're trying to get out of them, we know that we can add more weight and slow it down and talk to them about the why. So it's kind of exciting to add those new toys, you know, in here and in the weight room, but still keep the foundations the same.
Speaker 6: Can you use that kind of technology during the pre draft process that I don't know how involved you are, but like your team's bringing guys in and maybe getting a sense a better sense for where they are strength wise, at the athletic wise.
Speaker 3: Absolutely in our scouting department.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm a biased opinion up here standing in front of you, guys is the best in the business. And so what they'll do is we'll bring in top thirty guys. We'll sit and visit with them. We won't put them through any of the assessments in here. During that time, we'll take a lot of their data from their pro days and combine numbers and then utilize that as we if they're UDFA, if they're a draft pick.
Speaker 3: And then we'll be able to implement that with our system when they come in.
Speaker 7: When they bring in.
Speaker 8: Free agents, do they ever inquire about the weight training that you have here?
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, Yeah, that's been a big thing over the last i'd say five five plus years.
Speaker 3: Is when you're getting free agents.
Speaker 2: Now they're looking at the whole picture of the building, right, It's not just contracts a huge part of it, but they're looking at your training room, your weight room, how you operate in those rooms. Because they're looking at the entirety of the package as they're in that free agent process, and that's been big, let's say, over the last three years. It's really coming to play when we bring in free agents, you know, prior to signing they're on the visit, we'll talk to them about how we train you know, historically, who we've worked with that may be similar to them, maybe it's at that point in their career position wise, but that we've become much more comprehensive in that regard.
Speaker 9: And now year one, the year two is often seen as a critical year for body kind of transformations, these guys getting acclimated to the NFL, specifically to Nate Wiggins. You know, what did you see from him in the weight room this past season, and then what hopes do you have for this.
Speaker 2: Offsson hope, my hope for Nate is to continue the trajectory, the vertical trajectory of the kids already on.
Speaker 3: You got to see it on the field.
Speaker 2: He is a physical freak in his ability to go display his attributes out on the field and all year last year Nate did not just everything that we had asked of him, but did it to the to the fullest degree. And I think you saw that as a young kid coming in you know, young body, right, young mind, and you saw how he was able to play all seventeen games and in the playoffs and play at a high level. So I'm excited for Nick that as we go onto year two, you'll see even more physical maturation.
Speaker 3: Especially coming out of year one.
Speaker 2: You have a lot of draft prep, so you have a lot of you know, in that process.
Speaker 3: You know, in the February and the March, they're doing a lot of.
Speaker 2: Really their drills and their their training sessions are really centered around what they're going to do in Indianapolis, right, So what we're now and then that's to your point, Ryan, is when we've worked through the season last year and we get into now this offseason, moving to this year, now we can work more specifically to his game and playing you know, playing football. So I'm looking forward to his step he'll make from a physical standpoint, he's seen.
Speaker 6: How have you seen the program overall?
Speaker 1: It's evolve in your time being here and taking over the leadership, How has this program evolved?
Speaker 2: Fortunately, truly truly blessed to see the evolution over the last couple of years. Of you've got this time of the year, then you've got training camp, you've got in season, and the buy in that the players have allowed us to have and their you know, daily routine and let us truly kind of step into their world and say, what we're trying to do in here, whether it's in the indoor or in that weight room, is to help you be the best version of yourself. So when we've evolved, that's allowed us to get more detailed with the guys because as we're working, you know, in training camp, we got ninety so you know, we divide and conquer. Fortunately, I'm very, very blessed to have a great staff in that regard, just to you know now that I'm talking about and I'll come back to your point. Ron Shrift, Kevin Hartman, Kaylen Busky, Anthony Watson have been with me the whole time, and so with that buy in, we're.
Speaker 3: Able to get more detailed.
Speaker 2: Now We've i brought up the fun tools and toys, but now we've got the dialogue that each year, I feel like we've gotten even better and we still have room to grow in helping individualize their program to progress them. Obviously, the spring is huge, but in training camp and throughout the season.
Speaker 10: It's got related to that, but more specifically, injury prevention is so massive for NFL success. The team had a very healthy season last year, but you know, over the last few years, because I mean that was a major topic a few.
Speaker 5: Years back with injuries.
Speaker 10: Where do you think as an organization from a strengthen conditioning standpoint, that you've made strong that maybe have meshed with seeing fewer injuries, you know, whether it's ramping up more slowly, whatever it might be.
Speaker 4: Where do you guys think that.
Speaker 10: You've made some progress that that that you've seen that kind of you know, yeah, the decrease in injuries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a that's a great question. And we have been fortunate in that regard. And I always remind you know, anybody that that allows me to talk and we get on this this subject is you know, you got to have great preparation and whatever you know, each team or each weight rooms preparation is you've got a great preparation and that's got to be matched with great luck. And I truly believe, you know, over the last couple of years, we've seen both of those come together.
Speaker 3: At the end of the day, it's a very physical game.
Speaker 2: You know, things do happen that are outside of your control, and we've been fortunate to avoid those and if we haven't, you know, incurred those situations, they've been more on the short term side of things.
Speaker 3: We've returned guys to play.
Speaker 2: But I think it comes back to, uh, just the point prior to this with the buy in of the players, and we're able to individualize kind of there their structure of either their lift or their run.
Speaker 3: That's part of the preparation process.
Speaker 2: And then I think we've had a great turnout over the past couple of years and this year included of this phase. And I truly believe this phase is the foundation of which training camp the whole year is predicated on. So I think those are those are kind of two things that I I hang my hat on that that that's allowed success. And obviously you got to pray for the best with the rest.
Speaker 9: Derek Hennery here last year, and did you adopt anything from what he does and you know, incorporated into work.
Speaker 7: You guys see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Actually, so having Derek in is incredible and I'd say the most fun was Derek. He stayed around after the season for a couple of weeks before heading back down to Dallas and talking to him even more at length. You know, through the season, as you guys probably saw Derek's appro he comes in, he does his work, he goes, you know, goes about his business. He's out and getting to know Derek and getting to dive in even more about you know, what he does. And Die tells, it's incredible, and yeah, there's some things that we've taken in.
Speaker 3: And I'll say this about Derek.
Speaker 2: It was, you know, this time last year we were talking and I kind of asked him that question, and I'll ask you know, vets that have been around, and I know they have a real detailed off season program. A lot of times I'll talk to the trainer strength coach that they work with, and I said, what do you want to what do you want to include from you know, what you do in Texas back here, and they said, give me everything he got. He said, I'm a clean sat give me everything he got. So and I think about that that period in the off season when he stuck around for heading back to his family, he brought up there was a workout that he had asked me to write before going on break last year between mini camp and training camp, and by the end of it, long story short, he had his brother doing it, everybody in the weight room doing it, and so there was this this nice connection between what he does in Dallas and what we do up here. And as you can see, you saw what he did last year on the field, and it's working for the guy.
Speaker 6: I don't think we got a chance to ask you last year about Lamar losing his weight remaking this by what was the emphasis for him?
Speaker 3: And I guess is it the same kind of emphasis this year with Lamar?
Speaker 2: It's is to take what he did last year and continue that that process. As you guys saw, he was in great shape at this point last year. He is again this year. And then we wanted to just lay down some lean muscle tissue as we got into the season, and you saw that as you know we got into the season, he was up a few pounds and then played at that MVP caliber level. You know, obviously, if I had a vote, I know what I would have voted. But that's a plan for this year as well.
Speaker 11: Are there any general benchmarks that you look to hit this early on.
Speaker 3: In the process in terms of what I.
Speaker 11: Mean just each fathe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course, of course, yeah, yeah, so benchmarks. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So in the weight room, what we're looking to do is is this is called our general preparation phase. So we'll break it up in two four week blocks and it'll progress and in each four week block week over week. But this first phase is first four weeks we're looking for immetry, so no matter what they have done or not done, you know, the last couple of months on their on their free time, we're looking to bounce out right to left, front to back, so quad to hamstring, right leg, left leg, so we're looking to kind of rebounce everything out, essentially pour the foundation. Then as we get into that that next four weeks we get into OTAs in a mini camp, that's when we'll get into our power phase, so the movements will become a lot more explosive, and then we'll it'll it'll shift from unilateral focus into bilateral so two hands, two arms or sorry to two legs barbed on the back, so much more compound explosive lifts.
Speaker 3: So that's how it progress.
Speaker 2: Going through the spring with a break and then essentially we'll do a similar notion once we start training camp kind of rebounce the tires on these ferraris and and trucks and then build the speed, build the power, and we just kind of we undulate through that throughout the entire year.
Speaker 7: Scott.
Speaker 6: Obviously, Daniel Pilotly is a big ball of clay. Has the programming for him changed going from a tackle into.
Speaker 2: Inside Yeah, yes, And the program is for him is, Yes, it's evolved, but it's it's always been the same. Daniel is such a big, strong and mobile guy. So as we've worked with Big Dan, it's it's to get him to unlock that that next level that he's got into dominating every time he steps out on the field. And what you guys saw it this year, having the opportunity to start and play you know, all every every offensive series of every every game this year, you saw how much better he got so in the way when we're tailing his ability to do that from a physiological standpoint.
Speaker 1: Next up, we heard from veteran linebacker Rokwan Smith.
Speaker 4: At this state your career, what are you taking from when you come back phase one of all seas and workouts, What's what's.
Speaker 5: Kind of your big takeaway from the States.
Speaker 12: Yeah, honestly, I think first and foremost just like being around the guys, guys who you truly care about, being being back around the game that you truly love, and obviously knowing that you know, things didn't go the way you wanted to go the last out and so it's about improving on that. And then you know, also coming in and getting great work from.
Speaker 5: Scott and his staff.
Speaker 12: You know, normally follow their plan anyway throughout the off season, but it's pretty cool when you been able to get to work with the guys also out on the field. So it's just something that I enjoy to.
Speaker 10: Help your off seasons evolved from you know, maybe your first couple of years in the league too. Now, I mean, do you feel like you just have a much better idea of what you need to get done to be.
Speaker 4: Ready to play?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Absolutely.
Speaker 12: I think experience is the best teacher in life, and I think, yeah, at this point in my career now it's kind of crazy, like thinking back, I still remember my first ota just a wide our rookie.
Speaker 5: In a sense, and you're just like saying, oh, what do I expect?
Speaker 12: How good of a shape should I be in in April may like and things like that. But like now It's kind of like you've been through the fire, been through the ringer.
Speaker 5: You've gone through it.
Speaker 12: So now it's just about Okay, making sure I got a great foundation, uh, and then just building on that foundation throughout the off season and then making sure you're ready to roll come training camp, but also knowing that that's a ramp up period as well before the season, because it's a long season.
Speaker 1: Bro, what what do you look to accomplish during this time that like along your kind of what you're you're talking about that, like, what do you want to accomplish during this time of calendar?
Speaker 12: I think there's a lot of things you can accomplish throughout this time and for myself personally throughout like this eight week program. Uh, you know, get stronger, getting better shape, create a better.
Speaker 5: Bond with my guys.
Speaker 12: Uh, just enjoy Maryland for what it's worth, and just be around the people, be around the building. Uh, enjoy all the free food uh stuff like that. So I would say a lot of those things and just happy to be here.
Speaker 8: Oh cool, And you talked about trying to work on getting that bad taste out of your mouth. How long does it take to kind of turn the page from how last year ended to move and looking forward to what's next.
Speaker 12: Yeah, absolutely, I think you just have to use the letdowns in a sense as a motivation and few for your fire. And I think, honestly it's different for each and every person, But for myself, I would say, you know, there's a sour taste in your mouth until you're able to actually play another game, and like because you can go against your guys and things like that, but it's different when you're actually trying to unleash on someone else in a sense. So I think it'll always be there and you just got to use it as fuel until we're able to line it up and scrap it up later in the year.
Speaker 13: How do you assess your season individually? Individually last year? What do you need to want to take from that? Say, all right, this is where I need to improve or that was that was great?
Speaker 14: What did you take away?
Speaker 12: Yeah, a lot of ups and down last season, first and foremost from the defense perspective. Didn't start the season the way we wanted to start, including myself, like with certain games and things of that nature. So like just having that motivation and knowing that you don't want the season something you're able to control to start out this way, and that's something that we all can control and build on right now in this moment. So it's about like doing that, making sure we're in the best possible shape, but also making we're making sure that we're mentally there and ready to go through the ring or whatever the case may be.
Speaker 5: And just having a tighter bond.
Speaker 12: Even though it was really tight despite the adversity that we face throughout the season last year, not a single person you know, drop their head looked for a way out. So just like building building on that and just hitting hitting the ground running and for myself, just like you know, improving just being better, Like yeah, all pros this that, all that stuff is fine, but it's about like you know, getting hardware and like that's something you accomplished as a team. So that's more of like what I want, like because all the individual accolades that stuff will come once you're successful as a team.
Speaker 11: How important is this time period in building chemistry and just be connecting.
Speaker 12: Yeah, no, I think this time period is amazing for like actually in a better relationship with the guys and you know, going through the different workouts and things like that. You know when you see your guys tired next to you, and you know you're tired as well. But it's about that's how you create that thick bond amongst each other, just knowing, you know, we're going through the ringer together and it's not just a one sided thing, and it's about like, okay, if we're gonna truly be a brotherhood, it's about fighting through it together and overcoming it as well.
Speaker 15: It's just what message you think that sends that you being a VET and someone that's you know, far along.
Speaker 5: Into your career.
Speaker 15: That you're here during this optional period to get to work in with the guys what do you think that says to everybody here?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I'm not quite sure what that says to people. I just know it's more so about like how I feel and how I do my thing, and how I enjoy being here, enjoy working with the screen staff here, how I enjoy being around the guys here, and like just being able to blessed enough to be on a team to be able to do something that I truly love and like, when I think about it from that perspective, that's more than enough like motivation for me to get my butt up and come up here. It's like, yeah, I can be doing a lot of different things, but at the end of the day, I still will be training. Like it's awesome to be able to train here with like great people. So I would say that we're a couple.
Speaker 9: Of linebackers left in free agency again this off season, another one to Pittsburgh, just with Trenton Simpson. You know, he'll get another crack at that certain job next to you. What are your expectations for him as he enters year three.
Speaker 12: Yeah, first and foremost for those guys that are that's left.
Speaker 5: You know, very happy for those guys.
Speaker 12: They got them some a nice little payday as well, so like, you know, happy to see those guys do that. CB very happy for him the leak and all of those guys. But yeah, Trent Man, I got a great deal of respect for him, got some good sessions in with him this offseason as well, and just trying to build on our bond with each other as well, knowing what he's thinking a certain situation and also like just knowing what I'm thinking as well, and just getting out and doing more things to create a tighter bond. But I think like the guy has all the athletic ability in the world, everything you want, and like I got great faith that he's gonna be able to put it, put it all together, and with the addition of all coach, I'm very excited about that as well. Trend is so it's gonna be awesome and we're excited to get to work and you know what's gonna happen is gonna happen, but we know we're gonna prepare like every day is our last day. So that's the mindset and I'm very excited for him in his future though.
Speaker 8: This weekend it is said to be a very talented on the defensive side of the ball. Do you give your take your opinions on what you would like to see the organization do do they even asks your ideas.
Speaker 12: Like, you know, you'll see some guys, maybe some guys from Georgia or you know, some guys that I may know. But if I'm being completely honest, like when I first came into the league, I was more so in tune with the draft and everything like that. But like if I'm being honest, like right now, like probably the top guys, but like with no disrespect to anyone, I probably can't I probably can't tell you the backers how many backers like inside backers that are coming out this year if I'm being perfectly honest, because like I don't really you know, during my I'll try to get away from the game in a sense I love the game, but it's also about getting away and then you know, when the guys get here, that'll be my focus. Then then I'll like do my research and see what guy, what each and every guy's about.
Speaker 6: I think you were on the sideline for a couple of Georgia games this past year. One of those guys who's been linked to the Ravens is Malachi Stars. Did you get a sense for what he meant the culture there and stood to meet him or anything like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think I met him, topped him up and everything like that.
Speaker 12: But you know, when those guys are, you know, right before going to going into a game and stuff, those guys are focused on what they're focused on, and that's like getting a w SO got a great deal of respect for him. I heard a lot of great things about him, like Georgia guy, like really really mature for his age, really good player. Also, I know Kirby Schuman, all those guys have a great respect for him in the way he played a game of football, But like, I don't really know him personally. I've watched the games and stuff, how he always shows up on film. But yeah, so if he HEP does comes here, that'll be a great addition for us. But like you know, DC and those guys up there, man, they they know what they're doing, so I'm sure they're going to get the best possible fit for the team as well as person So yeah.
Speaker 1: Next up is safety Kyle Hamilton.
Speaker 4: So what was the best thing you've done from you know, the end of the season to coming back to that.
Speaker 16: Went on a golf trip with me and three of my high school buddies. Went out to Pebble Beach, played Pebble Beach, Spyglass, Spanish Bay. He was able to play Cyprus past that. That was probably the best thing I've done so far.
Speaker 7: The goals?
Speaker 15: Is that the thing you didn't say that you're mar Oh yeah.
Speaker 16: I mean I just went to i Guessa for the Masters too. I went on Friday and Sunday and that was my first time going, so it was pretty cool experience.
Speaker 13: Did Rory hitting it into the creek inspired maybe I couldn't do this too.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I was actually sitting on twelve when him and Bryson came up. So he saw Bryson go in the water on eleven and I was walking on thirteen and then saw Rory go in the water and that was I think that's the crazy part about golf, Like the leader sets the pace for everybody. So I mean once he came back to the field, then they got really really interesting after that. But you know, he got it done. Career Grand Slam is pretty cool. What does Marlin have to do to get there? Marlean's got to have a talk with God or something to get there. He you know, he's gotten better. He's always blowing up our group chat about his golf swing and like how he can get better and asking me for tips. I was like, I don't know why you're asking me, Like I'm not the person you should be asking.
Speaker 7: But he has gotten better.
Speaker 16: He said he just broke one hundred for first time ninety nine, So I was like, you're one step close to the tour.
Speaker 6: Like defense with the second chattings are a golf cup chat.
Speaker 16: It's a Marlin, Tony Jefferson, Gino Stone group chat. So you know we were once Ravens, but we all got scattered all over the place.
Speaker 7: But Tony's got the.
Speaker 16: Golf bug right now too, and Gino has been golfing for a while, so we just talk about it from time to time.
Speaker 4: Kyle, there's been a lot of talk about possible contract extension for you. How much do you know about it? Do you think it's something that could happen and you know, over the course in the next few months.
Speaker 16: What do you kind of know about a contract EXTENTI yeah, I mean obviously would be my first one, so not too much. But I haven't had too many talks about it, to be honest. You know, they're busy draft stuff and all that stuff going on. I'm not in a big rush. So if it happens, it happens, cool. And if it happens to off season, cool too. But I'm not in a rush too get it done necessarily.
Speaker 15: Is that something you whatever happens, like, is that something you want to have kind of resolved one way or the other, like before you get into the end of the season.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean I would, I would like to.
Speaker 16: I just I don't really like worry about outside stuff during the season. That's been since high school honestly, whatever it may be, and this is obviously a different beast, but yeah, I kind of just want to be able to play football and focus on that, and you know, if that stuff is going on during the season, then that's what I have agent's for, so they'll do a good job with that. But you know, that's such a hypothetical at this point that I'll just cross that bridge when I get there.
Speaker 14: How do you approach the off season now compared to maybe year one year to established you know you've had success in the league.
Speaker 10: How do you view this time of year now compared to being a rookie year, second year.
Speaker 16: Sold Yeah, I don't think too much has changed. I mean, rookie year, I went back to school, so that was different. But you know, it's definitely poor to take some time off and kind of let your mind and body decompressed from the season, kind of just black out for six months there from July till January February, so you kind of gotta chill a lot. I think that's a big thing for me, just be able to see people that I've grown up with and kind of connect with family and friends and stuff like that. It's huge for me mentally be able to golf a little bit. But then you know, you for me, you're kind of sitting on the couch one day and you're getting that itch. You're getting to go start working out and start getting back into it. And for me, that happened earlier this year. I just felt like I was more excited to get back to work, so didn't take too much time off after the Bills game. But the philosophy I feel like has been the same and we'll stay the same in the future. I feel like it's kind of the same for a lot of people in the league, just you know, find your family again and just talk to people that you haven't had time to during the season.
Speaker 13: Election of the way the season ended, wanting to get back at back there sooner.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I think a little bit that a little bit of me maturing. You know, at this point in my career, I've had three years in now, and you know, every off season, I feel like I've been more and more wanting to get back to it, and I feel like I've started working out more quickly after the season has ended each year. So who know, its maybe like year ten, we'll start working out the day after seasons over. But but yeah, I feel like it's a little bit of that, a little bit of sour tays, a little bit of just, you know, want to get back into it.
Speaker 7: How soon did you get back into it though? How soon?
Speaker 16: Yeah, I'd probably say it was like two three weeks, And I mean it wasn't going crazy hard, but just getting my body back moving, thrown some weight around, stuff like that.
Speaker 11: Performanshing, you know, the rough starts to last season.
Speaker 4: Have you guys this secondary.
Speaker 11: Or see if you group you talked about how to come back to start faster this year.
Speaker 16: Yeah, it's funny you say that talking about golf. I was literally just thinking about this randomly. But I don't know if you followed the Masters this year or golf in general, but the past two tournaments, if you guys are want to listen to my soapbucks the Masters, Rory didn't have a great finish on Thursday, first day of the tournament, and then had a really good Friday Saturday, put himself in the lead and kind of set the pace for Sunday. And you know, for him, obviously he's one of the best players ever. But I feel like it's kind of synonymous with our sport. You know, you don't really want to compare yourself to others, but when you put yourself behind the eight ball, and now you got to kind of seehere everybody else is at and know what you have to do to get get in the playoffs and ultimately win Super Bowl. And this past tournament, Justin Thomas came out and tied the course record and didn't play amazing the final three days, but ended up winning the tournament. So you kind of put yourself in an advantage if you start off hot, because I mean, those games count for the same amount of wins and losses at the end of the season. So last year didn't get off to a great start. It's kind of behind the eight ball, but you know, we found our way at the end of the season. But who knows if we Uh, Tyler's telling me to hurry up, So who knows if we started off well, we would have a chance with the one seed and stuff like that. So it's important for us this year to kind of, you know, I think it's important that we've gone through that and understand how hard it is to climb out of that hole and how would change that this year.
Speaker 11: Both coming up your name came up quite a bit at the combine among the safety groups as someone that they emulated their game after someone that they watched. What does it feel like knowing that you're pretty much becoming a prototype for guys coming behind you.
Speaker 7: It's kind of weird, honestly.
Speaker 16: I saw like a couple of clips of some guys at the combine saying that, and it's flattering. One and two, I feel like it's happened so fast because I feel like I'm rookie. Year was yesterday and for tap people saying that they whatever, maybe emulate their game or try to pick my game. Apart to that, to their it's it's it's pretty cool to hear, and you know, just hopefully try to continue that trend, and not only just football wise, but as a person too.
Speaker 1: Speaking of the drafts with either talk about it with one of those safeties of the alongside next year, do you plan to watch the draft with your thought on adding, you know, another safety to play alongside you.
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 7: I don't.
Speaker 16: I don't plan on watching every pick. It will probably be on I'm not gonna be like actively watching. Maybe I'll watching the Ravens pick, but uh, I don't really have a huge preference on who they pick or where. You know, they have done a great job before I was even born. So I'm gonna let them handle that and I'm gonna play football and do my job. Uh probably be with my friend Nick Jackson who plays for or played for Iowa. Howe had a really good protest, so he'll probably be with him around that weekend. But yeah, I'm not gonna be uh up tweeting about it. Probably I would be a preference.
Speaker 10: I mean, we all made a big deal out how you know your role shifted midway through the season.
Speaker 14: If you weren't, you know you took it as no big deal.
Speaker 10: You played plenty of deep safety before.
Speaker 14: But all things being each year, do you have a preferences whether you stay in that kind of a role or going back to much more of the hybrid play, more nickel play, you know, much more of a Swiss army knife stories.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I mean I've gotten that question a lot, and my answer has been the same every time. I really don't care, like at all, whether it's game to game or drive to drive, play to play, whatever it needs to be, I'm more than happy to do it. And I feel like I'm more than capable of getting the job done. So I appreciate the coaches and the staff for and trust me with all that responsibility and try to do my best with it and do as well as I can at all those positions. But it really doesn't make a difference to me, and I'm just trying to go out there and make football plays.
Speaker 1: Next up is center Tyler Linderbaum.
Speaker 4: So for this all season, do you feel like it went faster slower than last year? Just comparatively, you know, from last game to hear how do you think the off season went for you?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I feel like it flew by. I trained here this off season, so yeah, before you know it, now we're starting off season. So I'm excited. It's always fun getting back, you know, seeing all the guys got to go work out in today. So it's got to keep stacking build off for next season.
Speaker 10: Tyler, after last offseason, there's so many changes on the offensive line, How happy even if McCarry left, but to keep Ronnie Stanley, you know, knowing how important he is a left.
Speaker 14: Tackle, How how good was that for you to see that, knowing it wasn't gonna be another off season where it was so much turnings.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean it's awesome to have a a Ronnie Back, you know, a player his caliber, you know, playing at a really high level. He helps our team out tremendously. So you know, excited hav him back, you know obviously you know Pat going on to Jacksonville. Excited for him his opportunity there. You know, the more more people you can get back, I feel like, the better it's going to be. Obviously the be pieces that we add, but you know, we have the foundation. I just got to keep building off of that. If you had.
Speaker 6: Any conversation with the front office about your fifth year option, which is deadline's coming along with the potential contract extension.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no conversations yet, and you know, let my agent handle that. And I'm just focused on just getting becoming as good of a football player as I can be for this team, Just coming in here every day and put my best foot forward and let all the other things take care of itself. Did you take note of the Jurgens deal that was signed today, Yeah, I mean I was. I was just made aware of that. You know, he's obviously one of the best centers in the league, a really high caliber player, so excite for him.
Speaker 15: Is that something you'd like to have whatever whatever happens, didn't happen, et cetera, have some you know, clarity before the start of the season, just seeking put it out of line.
Speaker 7: I guess honest, I'm really not even focus on that right now. No, That's that's why we have agents agents, you know, Neil Cornwich will handle that all for me. And like I said, I'm giving my all to the team right now and that's my focus and that's how it should be.
Speaker 13: You guys have been close throughout your time here, not quite any of the hump where you want to get to in the Super Bowls. After some reflection, what do you Is there anything your pinpoint? You're like, that's what's keeping us from getting where.
Speaker 7: We want to go? Yeah, I mean, you know there's a there's a lot of things though that we can get better as a team collectively. At the end of the day, when it comes down to it and we're in these big games in those situations, you know, we got to be playing our best football. You and obviously I don't. I don't think we did that against against the Bills, just you know, costly turnovers. But at the end of the at the end of the day. You know, we're right there towards the end of the game to where we have a chance. So you just got to build off of that, you know, get over that hump and you know, confident with the group that we have, the guys that we have on this team, and I'm excited to build off of that.
Speaker 5: Is it emotional for you a little bit and knowing how close you've become when Patrick signed elsewhere and you realize who's no longer going to be back in your locker mate?
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, I'm excited for him. Obviously, it's gonna be a little different without him. He's helped me tremendously, uh you know, my first three years. But I know he's going to kill it down there. So super happy for him.
Speaker 6: You know, I know most off at the line and by nature are pretty humble, but is there any kind of new pride to seeing how many teams want to do what you guys have done with the Eagles have done in his best offensive lines, that you kind of have that foundation for the championship level offense defense?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, I think you know, games are one in the trenches. I think no defense and offensive side of ball. You have have to have really good players and you have to play at a high level. You know, So in the Super Bowl, two really good old lines and D Line's going at it. At the end of the day, it's a it's a it's a tough position. You gotta do everything possible to be elite at that position. You gotta be obsessed, obsessed with getting better, and that's what makes a position so fun. So you know, I think it's it's not an easy position. It's something that has to be worked on. And you know, there the lead players that you can have a position, I think, the better your team's going to be the key parts of fresh Have you in.
Speaker 8: The other linement been following the debate at all season?
Speaker 7: Is there a debate or some people are trying to honest? I mean I love the I love the play. I'm sure defenses don't. But you know, anytime you know you can excel and have a high percentage on short yardage and if that's the play that you go to, then you know, I enjoy the play.
Speaker 8: So you guys were last offseason, you guys had to replace three starters along the offensive line. This year, it seems like only one What's how important is that continuity along the offensive line to be able to stick with the same five guys.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think it's big. I think whoever's in there has to play, you know, no matter what, we're expecting to play at a high level. You know. Obviously, having Roger step in and you know, play at a high level like he did last year was was super big for us, especially being a rookie. That's not an easy thing to do, especially the guys in our division. I'm super proud of him. And you know, obviously those guys who you know, played their first year, we got to expect another big jump. And the guys you know who have been playing have to take another step. You know, anytime you can get more reps together, I think the more, the better you better off you're going to be. But at the end of the day, the five guys that are out there have to be playing at a high level to you know, make make things to go.
Speaker 15: Speaking of you know, guys taking steps, what did you see from injury before he's last year and uh out injury early and then in a hat stepped in. What did you see from him last year and what are the conversations been in turns of him, you know, you know, being in that mix to start there next to.
Speaker 7: You and left that. Yeah, you know, Andrew's a starting caliber player. Obviously. The thing with him just obviously coming off the knee injury. I think OTA's last year was the first reps he's gotten in like two years, so he's just making jumps and jumps each and every day. I thought he played at a high level for the games that he was in, and then obviously doing with the ankle injury was unfortunate. I know, he's another guy that you know, have ut most confidence and when he steps in there that he's going to play at a high level.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Ravens Press Pass podcast. It's a busy week for the Ravens. The players are back in the building this week for the voluntary conditioning program, and of course, the NFL Draft is coming up starting Thursday night and extending through Saturday evening. It's gonna be a lot of fun over the course of this week, so make sure that you were tuned in across all of our platforms. Also, head over to the Lounge podcast feed subscribed. There we're gonna be breaking down everything related to these offseason workouts and of course, the draft later this week. Thank you so much for listening. We'll talk with you again on Thursday, after the first round the NFL Draft.