Speaker 1: Hey, vacationing the lawyer. Here's my business card. I'm Attorney Howard Ankle. You or someone who knows been heard it. Work ankin Law and get the medical bills paid, the lost wages reimbursed in the compensation you deserve. Hey, We're one of the largest filers throughout the state of Illinois of workers compensation claims. We're here to help call three one two six million injury law made personal. That's ankin Law.
Speaker 2: From your favorite source for Chicago White Sox talk, delivering news, interviews, analysis and more. This is The Socks Machine Podcast with your hosts Jim Margolis, James Vegan, and Josh Nelson.
Speaker 3: Hello, folks, welcome to a new episode of The Machine podcast, part of the Foul Territory Network. I'm your host Josh Nelson, and we have a lot to discuss in this episode. What a great weekend for the Chicago White Sox as they traveled down to Saint Petersburg, Florida to take on the tam Bay Rays, who have the best record in the American League, the best team playing at home this season, and the White Sox won two out of three in pretty convincing fashion. They only allow three runs this weekend, a terrific series for the White Sox that will be recapping later in the show as Sox Machines. Beat reporter James Vegan will be joining me from Tampa to share what was working on the pitching side and maybe a blueprint for the White Sox offense to find some success in the postseason. But of course, the biggest news over the weekend for the White Sox and going up to the trade deadline tomorrow on a Monday at five pm Central Time, is who will the White Sox add to their roster. And they've already added a starting pitcher of course, with the trade of the Seattle Mariners right handed starting pitcher Louis Castillo. We have learned when he will be making his first start with the White Sox. But before that, new Chicago White Sox general manager Chris Getz spoke to the media and explained his rationale and why they targeted Louis Castillo.
Speaker 4: You know, this was an opportunity to bring in a starting pitcher that you know, we're really excited about, someone that you know, can help lead this young pitching staff not only cover innings, but you know, has experience pitching in the playoffs, and if you look at you know, our club, you know we're at the bottom of the league in regards to starting pitching innings, and so you know, to be able to insert someone that pitches as regularly posts often as Louis Castillo, you know, has the credibility into this group, we felt like it was is going to make any meaning meaningful step in the right direction.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: Uh, you know the fun part about this part of you know, the season, when you're looking at acquisitions, you know you can plug it into you know, a projection system and you know, playoff probabilities and as you're you know, inputting different possibilities and potential acquisitions out there and understanding what the acquisition costs is going to be, this uh took a meaningful jump.
Speaker 3: Can at the latest public models that we have from fangrafts dot com. Fangrafts have the White Sox giving them a fifty six percent chance of making the postseason. And when you take a look at winning the American League Central, the Chicago White Sox now have the best odds. They have leaped ahead of the Cleveland Guardians and fangrafs is giving the White Sox a forty two percent chance of winning the American League Central But in order for the best possible outcome for the White Sox in with this trade of Luis Castillo, obviously not just for twenty twenty six, but beyond, maybe they get lucky and twenty twenty seven is a great season for Louis Castillo and that besting option picks up because of the quality of innings that he's given the White Sox next season. In order for that to happen, though, Louis Castillo needs to make some adjustments, and Chris Getz is pretty confident the White Sox can help them using the case study of what we've seen this year from Jordan Hicks.
Speaker 4: You know, Luis was in piggyback roles. He was, you know, coming out of the bullpen and then you know, being cut short at times, and you know, just I think that that really did have you know, I don't know if you would admit it, but I think anyone you know that's been tracking it closely and knowing how you know, starters are such creatures of habit and are such competitors, especially someone like Louis Castillo, you know that that probably did have an effect on him to what extent, I don't really know, other than the fact that when they gave him a you know, a clean star garading role in that rotation, I think it was right around mid uh mid June. Since then, I mean, it's a it's a you know, a sub for it's a three. It's in the three era level. So the production, uh is there, the stuff grades that we have, you know, execution all of that, you know, just the the adjusted kind of e RA, but also just what we believe is still in there. And sure I think that there's there's going to be opportunity to perhaps tweak an arsenal or some of the delivery. And and you know, I look at Zach Bow and our pitching groom, Brian Banister, and what we've been able to do with some arms. You know, Jordan Hicks comes to mind. I know, you know, in the off season, acquiring Jordan Hicks. On the surface, perhaps that deal didn't make a whole lot of sense. Why did they do this? And and truthfully, we saw that there was still plenty of talent in Jordan Hooks obviously in that case getting sandled in as well, a deal like that and being able to unlock Jordan Hicks and the impact that he's having right now too. Now, how does that apply here? We think that there's there's positive adjustments they're going to have, but even at its at its floor, just being able to provide these innings is going to be significant for the Chicago White Sox based on the current group that we have, which is a young starting group that really hasn't provided that whole you know a lot of innings. And we've got to protect the bullpen as well. They've the bullpen has done a really nice job. But the quickest way of taxing a bullpen is asking them to do too much and cover starter innings as well. So that was part of the calculus as well.
Speaker 3: So what's next for the Chicago White Sox before the trade deadline? Well, really sounds like from Chris Gaetz that he like to add another catcher.
Speaker 4: We're staying in contact with clubs and you know they're there. It seems that there are a handful of clubs that are out there looking for catching. So that's you know, made the market maybe move a little bit slower than you would like. So we're going to continue to monitor, you know, the catching market. I anticipate we do something I just don't know when and you know and who who's going to be coming our way.
Speaker 3: After a word from our sponsors, we recapping the action down in Tampa Bay with James Spegan and also hear from White Sox manager Will Vetable and starting a bitch er Anthony k about their big series when next on the Sox Machine podcast.
Speaker 6: What if you can actually have it all? And I'm talking about mint Mobile taking the premium wireless bouginess crats, but then bringing it to the transparency in pricing and the affordability in pricing.
Speaker 4: They're going to lay everything out there with a cheap bill that you know what everybody can handle right now.
Speaker 6: You can even bring your current phone and your number if you're thinking about it and you're like, I'm worried about that, No worries. They have you covered because they're able to convert people all all the time to the Mintmobile way. Go to mintmobile dot com slash territory. That's mintmobile dot com slash territory. Cut your wireless build of fifteen bucks a month at mintmobile dot com slash territory.
Speaker 7: That's it.
Speaker 6: There's no catch upfront payment of forty five dollars for three months, ninety dollars for six months, or one hundred and eighty dollars for twelve month. Plan required fifteen dollars per month equivalent taxes and fees extra initial plan term only greater than fifty gigabytes may slow when network is busy. Includes up to twenty gigabyte hotspot capable device required. Availability, speed and coverage varies see mintmobile dot com.
Speaker 8: Howard, my dad was keep owned by an utility vehicle on the basins surgery.
Speaker 6: Now what should I do?
Speaker 1: I'm sorry to hear about that.
Speaker 9: It's really great that you're getting in the medical care and treatment that he needs right now. These are three important things that I think you need to know. Injuries are unexpected, in turn lives upside down. I'm Howard Akin, and I'm here to help. If you are a loved one, have been heard at work for the car truck to write your accident called three one two six million. If you're a lot made personal, that's take a law.
Speaker 7: There is one place to be on Trede deadline day watching foul Territory. Of course A J. Perdinski, Aeric Kratz and Scott Brown will be live all afternoon speaking with insiders, reading tea leaves, and reacting to unfolding deadline drama. Join us on the FT YouTube channel at one pm ET and stay locked in through the six pm deadline next Monday. Foul Territory Network, It's baseball the way it should be covered.
Speaker 10: Great over, Yeah, it was great. I mean a series where you give up three runs there offensively did a great job. I thought it was really cool today. Cep Pereira who was in the lineup and who made that late lineup change and had a big day. It was really a difference for us.
Speaker 5: It's the cables.
Speaker 11: That's not a season.
Speaker 10: Yeah, everything you had everything working and it did a really good job and hitters counties and the off speed stuff, but really had everything working today. Obviously really efficient there. I mean it was first four nings. I think it was, you know under forty pitches are at forty pitches just really a fishing a really good job by him. Really great to see, you know, for a guy to work around some trouble there and then.
Speaker 2: Really doing this show.
Speaker 5: It's the race team to be it.
Speaker 10: Yeah, all these games are important, you know, obviously your season, everyone of these games is gonna be important with you're at home or on the road, come down here in a tough place to play against the best team in the America League.
Speaker 1: Was really special.
Speaker 5: This is a race team doesn't make a lot of mistakes. You're kind of able to seize on them the first thing. And how do you feel like they kind of set the town or put you guys in an advantage point for the rest.
Speaker 10: Of the day. Yeah, it was huge. You know, to get two runs early, it is obviously a nice way to start the game. And really because of those two errors, right, I mean, those were two tough plays for them where obviously they're such a good defensive team that they usually make those. But you know, a good job by our guys.
Speaker 5: Citty Avenage, Jenn Score does a wild pitch. But was that a double steel attempt or what was that?
Speaker 10: It wasn't a double steal, No, I think it was a read by Benny just to move up on a dirt ball. And yeah, we just did a nice job on the backside there on the front side, I should say, with Coles on and then Benny obviously continue on the second base.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was good.
Speaker 12: H you know, Unfortunately, well, if there is a nine hole hitter, which end of the day. But yeah, it was good to you know, go out there and get some length that you know, I've wanted to, you know, all the year, and you know it was good to you know, just be be able to be out there good.
Speaker 11: Just from the command standpoint.
Speaker 10: How satisfying was your.
Speaker 4: Performance here today?
Speaker 12: Yeah, it was really good. I mean continued from last week. I think last week, you know it was really good and kind of just continued with that.
Speaker 11: I don't think you guys have to make any sort of statement. You're in the first place by three games. There's fifty one games. Le's that you've proven on good yard. But if there was a statement, you guys did that this week. I mean, how do you feel about what this team did this entire weekend against the team with the best.
Speaker 12: Record Americanly, Yeah, it's been good. I mean, anytime you can win a series, it's really good. And you know, taking two and four from the Yankees and then two and the three from here, it's kind of, you know, shows where we're at in the league.
Speaker 5: You were able to get you have two cutters in on the hands of guys to get out at fourth any jam. But you will kind of describe to everything working like do you feel like your full yards? That was kind of know at your commands of it.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean that's kind of you know, my go to pitches of getting the cutter in on guys, and you know the I think a lot of the success today led with that. And I think, you know kind of show, you know, getting the cutter in leads to you know, gamble to use a change up a little bit more and using the forcing them up a little bit. So I think, you know, just kind of you know when that thing's work, and that's when I'm on my best.
Speaker 3: Now joining me on the Sox Machine podcast ISS Sox Machines Beat reporter James Vegan joining me from Tampa as he covered this weekend series for US down in Florida. And James, this is a bit of a shock. I don't think a lot of people who cover the White Sox, even White Sox fans, We're expecting the White Sox to roll into Tampa and win this series, but to do so so convincingly, only holding the race at three runs. We'll talk about the pitching in a moment, but what's your instant reaction having watched these three games, and what it means for the White Sox to go to Tampa and win this series.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean they allowed to run all weekend, so I think the pitching obviously performed remarkably well and allowed them to, you know, statistically look like they dominated the series. Would certainly be in every game in a way like a Tampa offense that really great top three and then it's very like matchup and you know, glove first guys from there. But it's funny we're talking about them upgrading the rotation and obviously you know, absorbing money to get Louis Castillo and you know, still being on the hunt for more starting pitching potentially, and they're the weakest links, you know, maybe had arguably their best out into the season, like Eric Fetti throws five innings of onone run ball and gets demoted to the bullpen afterwards, and we're still wondering out Noah Schultz, well, because there's you know, he's at eighty eight innings. I think his career high is eighty eight and a third. That would make a consideration for you know, what the postseason picture is going to look like for him and as his role regardless, But you know, talking about maybe upgrading from him, because obviously he's there still in the fives and he looks as good as ever and kind of in a way where both with how he pitched and how he talks afterwards kind of is starting like, hey, this is how I want to operate. We've kind of tinker with a lot of iterations like this is the way I want to work East West sinker cutter and all that. You know, Anthony k arguably one of the best starts of the year, if not the best, because of his career I six and the third innings. You know, he wasn't blowing people away necessarily, but like kind of like I deal like Anthony K outing of just like weak ground balls, very efficient throwing strikes, you know exactly what. You watch him on film and Japan in the offseason and hope like, hey, come do that over here. So it's not the necessarily your game one or Game two starter candidates in this series. And that's you know, any given three game series you can kind of do well. And I certainly think with the way the White Sox have played consistently over the season, you wouldn't say put it past them to you know, beat the Rays in a series. It's just that you felt like you were getting certainly three of the Ray's best starters, like seeing Rasmus in there, that this was like not this was not the back of their rotation against the top of the raised rotation in some sense and for them to come out. But yeah, the offense clicked a you know, a couple of games, and I feel like they maybe got to like the back end of the bullpended late a bit more Sunday, whereas like Friday was really where they kind of performed their best and show the most power. I don't know why I'm blanking on Friday starter for the Nick Martinez. Nick Martinez all start, you know, you are a leader and certainly someone who I was like weary, Like this feels like super charged kider Montero. If someone's just gonna like attack in the zone and they like always try to blitz people and try to like you know, have this thunders contact and you see them pile up in contact and all of a sudden, like the guys into the sixth inning on sixty pitches. Whereas Martinez was really efficient, but they had a bunch of home runs off of him. Basically you saw the game point work, but really I thought pitch was what really showed up. And it's kind of, you know, interesting, like it's the guys you're thinking about, and now the rotation. Sir Anthony Iminga's had a great inning in the series, looked awesome, struck out two guys, possibly the Bessie's looking at sacks uniform. It was a Swan song, so it's a It was a obviously a great performance. Obviously a lot of guys who are going to be here through the stretch run performing very well on this, but also like kind of some contributors that you kind of think they're planning around, not counting on right performing as well as well well.
Speaker 3: Taking a look at the American League Central standings and the White Sox are fifty nine and fifty two this season. They have a three game lead over the Cleveland Guardians, and that's significant because when you look at the American League East and American League West, the White Sox have the largest division lead in the American League right now. The Houston Astros have just absolutely caught on fire. They have taken over in the American League West. I don't think anyone could make sense of what's going on in that division and the Yankees winning some games at Wrigley Field this week in the White Sox doing them a favor and beating the Rays this weekend, they are within three games. So yeah, the White Sox in the American League, James Vegan, I have the largest division lead in the league, which is just really just fascinating right now of this particular season for the White Sox. But I did want to follow up as far as on the pitching side, because you make good points. Let Eric Fetti's going to the bullpen and Noah Schultz had an opener. Jordan Hicks looked very efficient in that first inning, and then Anthony kay. Not only did Anthony Kay I think pitched well to contact, but Anthony k made some great defensive plays. I want to start with Noah Schultz because it was something that Schultz said postgame. James said he has a good working relationship with Edgar Carroll. And if you didn't get a chance podcast listeners to listen to live reaction when the White Sox made the trade for Luis Castillo. You heard from Chris Gatz to the earlier part of the show talking about in that he doesn't know who the next catcher is going to be that they acquire, but the plan is for the White Sox before the trade deadline tomorrow that they're going to add another catcher with that relationship that Noah Schultz in the competence that he has with Edgar Carro. Does that help Edgar Caro keep his job at least with the major league roster? And are the White Sox looking to replace Drew Romo?
Speaker 5: I would think no, Romo's gonna getting the majority of the starts, and that continued through this series since they lost heel. He's they're either splitting as either the Yankee series or Romo's doing two out of three okay, so, and he's a superior framer and that like push comes a shove, that's usually what they value, especially like in a situation right now, like if Caro just like caught fire or just hit like he did last year, which he's showing signs of doing, but maybe not like huge games where it's just like oh wow, like how do you take that guy out of the lineup? Then that that alters it, of course, but you know we're talking about literally they're not playing another game before the end of the deadline and the GM say we're adding a catcher. I don't think that he really has the runway to alter the balance and that aspect, even if he thinks he's trending in the right direction offensively, and it certainly looked more like twenty twenty five Hector Carrow. I think like Romo's kind of establishes like the guy that you know is framing more close to average at this point in his career. Not that Carol can't get there at some point, but like right now, and certainly you're talking about someone who, when they acquire Catcher and certainly when deal comes back, is shifting towards like a playing once a series role. You just as soon send the I don't know if Karro's turned twenty three yet, but the guy who you still feel like has some ceiling back to play regularly in LA, I would think, would the imagine What stuck out to me about Schultz's comment is he's like repeatedly asserting, like the way I've had success within the past, and he's obviously twenty two, there's not this huge major league track record, but what he's saying is like, there's we've seen a lot of iterations. We've seen a lot of tinkering with what Schultz does, you know, since he's been called up, and really like when they're trying to figure out what was wrong with the last year of like what do we need to do to get slider right? What do we need to emphasize the cutter? Do we need to throw more four seams to you know, respond to like the high contact break of the sinker. And he has this great start and obviously it works a bit with like a righty heavy lineup of what he's trying to do of like I just want to work inside of the sinker, throw the cutter off of that, and then I can pepper and change ups and maybe the occasional breaking ball as much as like we talked about, like he's got to get the breaking ball right, you know, coming back from injury, and you know when he was struggling. He hasn't used a ton the last couple starts, and you're seeing him kind of work hard stuff, try to try to pitch the contact, really not fret too much about like, oh, I got to get the break bat missing breaking ball right, and just kind of be like pouring strikes in getting ground offs the way that like he was when he was kind of overwhelming guys in the lower miners, and Schultze by the first to tell you like this is way different than lower miners. He kind of felt like I could get away with stuff just because my stuff was better than the hitter. As I was facing back then, like this is a different beast. But I think he's kind of trying to assert the way he wants to pitch repeatedly, and Edgar being someone who caught him in the miners and has experienced it, I think he's invoking like this guy has that experience, he knows what I want. We're working well together. We just did what I want out there. So I like this partnership rather than like I won't pitch to anyone but Edgar Carrow type of like Stan, I don't think he's making at all. He certainly likes Edgar Carrow. He's certainly Caro's revered for, like you know, kind of the interpersonal part of like the pitcher catcher handling. Like not to take anything away from how good he is at that, I just feel like it's a lot of like trying to put a stamp like this is the way I want to operate. This was good. I want to kind of build off this and kind of like I think he's speaking up like he's a quiet, physical talker. I think his words kind of are are pretty stern in the way he's talking and postgame of like a certain like I think this works. I want to keep doing this. I know we've ben tinking around with different things and what needs to work, and there's probably gonna be different linepsy faces that maybe require a little bit of something that they've tried with him a bit more than this lineup did. But that's that's how I read that comment, maybe more so than like this is going to flip the balance of like the catching depth chart. You know, that's probably going to change if Chris Gutz has his way right, maybe by the time anyone's hearing this.
Speaker 3: That's true. That is true again, podcast listeners, just the warning, I have to work incredibly fast to get these episodes out so they are still timely just in case if we do have breaking news. We're always keeping an eye on Twitter to see if anything does hit up or as far as text messages or email, so if any breaking news does happen on the recording, it will be a very raw and live reaction from James and I. During this segment, Eric Vetty moving to the bullpen. How is this going to look? James? Is he piggybacking behind starters? Is he the emergency guy of a starter just doesn't have it and they get knocked down on the third inning? What's the plan here with Fetti?
Speaker 5: Bill Vertible didn't want to commit, like, Hey, this is like some structure we're going to use, Like they'd like to keep them stretched out, they'd like to work on multiple innings. It's hard to like have a scheduled fore inning outing for your for your relievers, right, That's just especially in twenty twenty six baseball, it's all about like trying to find matchups and you know, attacking pockets where you can. I think it's a bit like it's too soon to say he's not used to working like back to back days in any sort of way to like compare him to like twenty twenty five Vassal maybe like a right handed version of what like Schweitzer is doing, where like there's opportunities to work multiple innings. I think like Fetti's you know kind of more proven against writings in a way where it wouldn't necessarily be like as exclusively low leverage as it is tends to be with like the other like eighth man, the bullpen long guys they have, but certainly like it's more length oriented. It's certainly like we know this guy works better against Righty's, we're gonna try to keep him stretch out. But I don't think like they really are coming out of the gate promising like, hey, this is gonna be the certain structure of what it's gonna be. I'd be surprised if he's like pitching the eighth of a one run game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 5: This week that said, like Fetti sweeper is really effective. He's run up to ninety five at times this season when he's airing it out. I don't think he couldn't be a good leverage reliever. I just think it's probably gonna take a little bit of time and feeling out to really see what he's gonna do in a significant way. And you know the nature of the Beast is like someone can go down and Fetty's just right back in the rotation again. At some point they want to kind of keep him at the ready for that to some degree, It might depend on how things go in the next twenty four hours. They're clearly still trying to get pitching. Whether that's certainly sounds like from what they have internally, when you have Hagen Smith, when you have Tanner McDougall in the bullpen or working to be in the bullpen triple A, maybe there's a bit less of like, oh my god, we need to proven set up man to add to this mix as much as like what we really have, what we really don't have immediate like proven options in triple A is like someone who can take starts, and so you certainly would imagine with what they're trying to avoid with prospect usage, though he did, you know, leave the door open of like, hey, if we can get a start with control, maybe we would trade someone who's like top hundred prospect caliber type dude. I'd be a little surprised with the way rental prices are, like it would have to be like someone pretty studley, I think to make sense for what they've tried to say about their long term picture, but like they're certainly trying to add I think they'd love to come out of this the next twenty four hours with the starter in some form, So yeah, you kind of have to hang loose on what it looks like for anyone. It's like moving around.
Speaker 3: Well, James, to your point, like the Toronto Blue Jays just picked up off waivers Jamison tai On, who is defa'd by the Cubs. That tells me that indicates that the Blue Jays are getting ready to position themselves to trade Kevin Gausman. And I know you mentioned I think that would be a great addition for the White Sox, but a lot of teams would love to have Kevin Goussman for the last couple of months. I feel like even as a rental, you would have to offer quite a bit to win that bidding war, I imagine.
Speaker 5: Right, But what gets kind of pushed the brake on is like, well, I'm not going to do I'm not going to trade prospect Cappal for a rental in some major way. Now we just saw him at least Casillo's obviously struggling. But in terms of like and obviously a big part of what they did this trade was like absorbing salary. Maybe they do that again in some form. It seems like there's not necessarily like, yeah, they have full rain to just absorb salary with abandoned but I think he maybe with something lesser than what they just did, he could run up that up the tree again. But is there a certain way to one find a prospect who's maybe intriguing? You know, they talked about how Boston Spens was getting asked about and at the same time kind of I wouldn't say slagged him, but also so like this guy wasn't in the mix for twenty six or twenty seven. There's just too much development to really peg him as a yeah, you know, an option for coroner outfield or certainly like say he's ready to catch a major league game in a way that I thought was pretty pointed or at least like candid. But is there more ways to you know, slide around value like that. Obviously you gave up Sir Anthony, who certainly looks like a distress asset to hear, but also like very foreseeable that he helps a playoff Mariners team down the road, like he has that ability more than Mariner is a question probably, Sir Anthony at this point, Yeah, are there are there still resources on their FROs to do that in a way that compels other teams. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Well, we're going to take a quick break for a word from our sponsors, but when we come back, we'll talk more about the White Sox shocking the raise and winning this series. But I take it a look at the White Sox offense, and we also have some insight when Luis Castillo will make his White Sox debut next on the Sox Machine podcast.
Speaker 6: Hey, for the families out there looking for a new path to help your child succeed, take a look at K twelve Powered Schools. K twelve offers tuition free, accredited online public education for students in kindergarten through twelfth grade, all in a setting that works for your family. And they've been a leader in online education for over twenty five years, serving over three million families. And Todd Father, you've raved about the homeschooling experience.
Speaker 8: Hey, if you're a busy family, K twelve is where it's at. I've had a couple of my children who've been homeme schooled. It's a fantastic opportunity for them not only to get better in school, but timely fashion too and make some new friends. K twelve has every opportunity to make your child better and smarter as they move forward in their academic career.
Speaker 6: See how K twelve powered schools can help unlock your child's full potential and roll online today at K twelve dot com slash foul. That's the letter K the number twelve dot com slash foul. K twelve dot com slash foul.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to the Sox Machine podcast as we continue the conversation of the White Sox winning this series against the Tama Bay Rays and on the offensive side, I wonder if this is a preview to the path that White Sox can find in postseason success, because we know that ball go far, team go far in the postseason. And in these three games, the White Sox scored fifteen runs. They got shut out on Saturday, so they scored fifteen runs in their two wins over the weekend. They had twenty two hits, seven home runs, and three doubles, So almost half of the base hits the White Sox had against the Rays this weekend went for extra bases. But I look at that seven home run total, James, and I think for those around the American League that are still not familiar with the Chicago White Sox, I think It's easy to look at team stats and be even surprised. Maybe others outside of Chicago are just as surprise when looking at the American League standings and still seeing the White Sox in first place. They're one of the best home run hitting teams in Major League Baseball, and you saw it on Friday. Murcami Colson, Montgomery, and Miguel Vargas all hit home runs again in the same game. That's the fifth time this season they do it again. That sets a new m WIB record for a Trio hitting a home run in the same game. Was this weekend kind of the blueprint the White Sox may have to follow. I can't believe I'm saying this. When the postseason comes around, if they are going to make a run and be this dark core se could surprise even more people in the American League.
Speaker 5: Yes, and no. Like their home run power is established, I think it can be the way that they win a game or two in a series. I don't think I think like, especially like what we've seen in their offense in the second half, they're not going to have the game that they hit four home runs in the game every time, or even like necessarily four out of seven. I think that the fact that they have this ability to like we just went off, we hit three four homers and we took took the game away and ran with it. That's still a unique ability for them to do it like once or twice in a playoff series. I don't. Like, it's just not something they can do on command. Like I don't. I can't imagine they get through a whole postseason, they win the World Series just because like they just homer their way to victory, like a majority of the games in a playoff series, like round after after round. Maybe that'd be amazing, Like I'd love to watch it. I don't. I don't think it's quite been. Like they run into arms that are able to defend them or make them win in different ways. And that's why they're like as much as like they've clearly defined their identity more and more around slug as the season wore on, they're the ones that tell you, like, we've got to have adjustability and are swinging. We got to be able to like back the ball up hit the opposite field when like the situation is like when it's not there, like just talking like Colson, God, it's always a confusion to like record a podcast for the next day and then try to remember when I had a conversation Saturday talking to Colson about like in a situation like he was like Bryan Fuller was talking about him in the week, and so like Colson, he's a power hitter. He swings with loft. When he misses, he's probably gonna be swinging under fastballs. And it's talking to Colson like when you're in a situation, when you're in this league now where everyone's throwing three fastball shapes, you know, how do you kind of like you know, it's natural for you to go through periods or maybe're swinging underballs a little bit you have to recalibrate. But how do you kind of recalibrate in a world where like everyone's throwing through fastball shapes and it's like, well, you got to kind of just pick one, Like you're not gonna be able to cover all three if you gear your approach around like adjusting you all three, like you can't do it. You're not like gonna be up there and you're going to be like realizing mid flight, like, oh, this isn't a fores seem it's a sinker and adjust your swing. That's not how anything works. That's the thought you have while walking back to the dugout. So like I kind of have to really prioritize and commit to like jumping on the one I'm looking for when I see it. And you know, we're at the end of this conversation about us talking about swing planes and fastball shapes. You can probably pick out which one I'm good at, and that's probably the one I'm really going to commit to most of the time. And there's gonna be ups and downs. But I really want to do is like commit to my plan, like results will come. Sometimes the results aren't there. I want to stay committed and then like maximize my eyes opportunities to really jump on balls that fit my swing. But like the nature of what he's saying is like sometimes they're just not gonna throw him his pitch. He's getting changed, Like he's talking about like every time I feel like I got it nailed down, I start seeing a new way of people pitching me, and I gotta kind of learn it. Just that, which is kind of like why he can seem frustrated on in the game or on the field, and you see him throw his bat or be like why did I do that? But then you talk to him post game and he's just like very zen about it all. I was like, I just discovered kind of a new way I'm getting attacked. I'm gonna try to have to learn this now. So yeah, I think there's gonna be games. You know, this series is perfectly represented. There was one game in the series where they just like hit a bunch of homers and again, like I obviously someday like you saw it at the end, but like that was so much about like they got a lead and then they got the secondary bullpen pieces they you know, they jumped and turned to the capitalize on some Marizaga tuoo.
Speaker 1: You know Ben and Tendi.
Speaker 5: Ben and Tenny had like probably the best swings of anyone on a team this weekend. Like he had one home ru on Sunday, you know, obviously had one home run Friday too. He had the crap out of two other balls on Sunday. He had authoritative swings all weekend. We were like going gaga about, like, oh, it's the fifth time that Vargus and Markami of all homer in the same game. And Colson's like Ben Attendi Homer too, you guys know, so don't don't sleep on him a little bit. But like they can have this game where like, oh, they just overpower it, but like there was two other games, one where they get shut out and the other one where they have to kind of scrap their way to get runs until they break it open late. I think that's probably more representive what a playoff series looks for them that sure, Like will they have like a three game sweep where like they you know, maybe hop on a couple of vulnerable starters and they win the series on home runs. Maybe that'd be awesome. That would, you know, of course, be the first playoff series in fifteen years. So I can't poop poo like, oh, they won one series off of Homers, but they couldn't win the World Series off it. But like that's a tool in their bag. Is what the four minute journey to making that point I'm trying to make. It's like that's a tool in their back. It's not like the model that's how they can win. I think they have to win it multiple ways. Is what everyone with the White Sox hit He group would tell you, is that certain games that's not there and you have to scrap in different ways and be ready to do that on a moment's notice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to James's point, benettend he had two home runs this weekend, almost a third against old friend Craig Kimbrel. Miguel Vargas had two homers this weekend. Murcamie Montgomery and Everson Pereira really turned it on late on Sunday to make that a route for the White Sox. So at everything home runs, excellent starting pitching, the bullpen was nails to only limit the Rays to just one run in each game. Just fantastic work by the White Sox as they shocked the Rays and win a really big series. As they continue this gauntlet, you can look at it a couple of ways. The White Sox went one in four in a five game stretch against the Astros and Yankees, but now they've gone four and one in their last five games. It's the Yankees and Rays. So feeling good for the White Sox as they now have the off day during the trade deadline and they head to Boston tomorrow. Jim Marglus and I will have a more in depth conversation about that series, but James does have some news as far as the pitching brables between the White Sox and the Red Sox this week from Tuesday through Thursday, and this will feature the debut of Louis Castillo. So James, what's the plan for the White Sox with Louis Castillo? When can White Sox fan see him make his first start with the team?
Speaker 5: Thursday, he will pitch the series finale of the Boston Series Davis Martin and Sean Burke. Leading into that homecoming for Sean Burke, I'm sure he'll be amped much more than a certain park that will not be named that he was slagging openly in the clubhouse to my great amusement.
Speaker 3: Well, it'll be fun to see what Castillo could do on Thursday. That is a Thursday night game. And since our live stream worked out so well during the low Lisa Castillo trade news, there could be a chance we'll do another live stream to recap what happened between the White Sox and Red Sox before the White Sox come home for a critical series against the Cleveland Guardians. So big week, big, big, big week for the Chicago White Sox, especially for their chances of holding off their rivals in the Central and the Guardians. Twins can't still count out the Tigers even though they traded away Trek Schouolbull. We'll be recapping that trade in other news when it comes in on Monday. But thank you guys so much for listening to this edition of the Socks Machine podcast. If you just discover the Sox Machine podcast, you can describe to the show wherever you listen to podcasts such as Spotify and Apple Music. You can also watch the show. This is a video podcast.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: You can watch our videos and our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash socks Machine. Make sure to hit the subscribe button since now we are going to reintroduce live streaming. You'll be notified if you subscribe to the socks Machine YouTube channel when they're breaking news and when we are going live to report on that news, and you can join us to get the latest and be part of the conversation again. Our YouTube channel is YouTube dot com slash socks Machine. Of course, follow us on social media. Monday is going to be very busy around Major League Baseball. We're on all the platforms at the sox Machine. You can follow James at Jrfigan. You can follow me at sox Machine underscore Josh, and if you enjoy our work, you win full access to all of our coverage of the Chicago White Sox of Major League Baseball. You can sign up to become a sox Machine subscriber at soxmachine dot com slash Products. We're still running our sale in which your first month of the subscription is just fifty three cents. After that it's five dollars a month and then unlocks all access to sox Machine the comments section as well and the ad free version of the website. So if you are interested, go to soxsmachine dot com slash products and sign up today. The sox Machine Podcast is a production of Soxmachine dot com you arn for all of the things Chicago White Sox Baseball and part of the Foul Territory Network alongside James Agan, I'm Josh Nelson. Thanks for watching and listen.
Speaker 11: M HM.