Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is Mick Shot streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys at.
Speaker 2: Oh, what a beautiful Monday morning. It is here in Oxnard, California. The corner of Ventura and Vineyard is where we are. It's a day off for the Cowboys here in Oxnard, California. But we never take a day off here on Mixshot.
Speaker 3: No days off.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right. Bill Jones, Savannah Humoler, and Mickey Spagnola, the star of the show wearing his Cowboys star This morning, I was gonna put.
Speaker 3: My head like.
Speaker 4: Micah little Chili this morning.
Speaker 2: Degrees, Bill, you should have been over on the Ventura Harbor last night at nine o'clock when I was doing my sports guest and it was the temperature said sixty three degrees, but the wind chills said about forty three degrees over there.
Speaker 3: Did you have a jacket on?
Speaker 2: I had a sweater on. So yeah, for our live shot last night on CBS eleven in Dallas.
Speaker 3: For all I know is the other day when I took off on my bike ride in the morning and I took off and it was fifty eight degrees and I was just riding, and I'm going, is this heaven? I took the line from the Field of Dreams and I go, no, it's Oxnard.
Speaker 2: Well, we've got much to talk about a ladas of mixed shots. Of course, the team is off today. We've had the ramp up period. We put on the pads tomorrow and we can't wait for that. But the breaking news yesterday was an injury that occurred early in practice during a special team's drill. As Sam Williams.
Speaker 3: Goes down, yes, and can I do like the newspapers do? I was told by sources they told the Dallascowboys dot com that he had a torn ACL. They were hoping initially that it was just an MCL, but I was told after they kind of did their hand check or whatever before he got the RRI, that they feared that he tore his ACL, and sure enough tore his ACL did damage the MCL also, so right away before they even put the pads on, they lose a very prominent player for the season, which is, let's put it this way, I do this year before training camp, I write a column. I started doing and calling it mister Indispensable. But I decided a couple of years ago the Cowboys had too many indispensable players to pick one right, So I started picking one guy that had to be relevant, that had to step up and make a name for himself. Guess who I picked Mister relevant was?
Speaker 2: Sam?
Speaker 3: Was Sam Williams? Yeah? Absolutely so. I don't know if I was the kiss of death or what, but they needed him to step up. They lose Armstrong, Drnce Armstrong and free Agency, Dante Fowler Junior and free Agency, and those were the guys that were into rotation really ahead of Sam. And my thought is also that I know Mike Zimmer wants to use Micah Parsons more at and so the next defensive end up had to be Sam Williams. It was time. This was his third year and it was second round. Yeah, it was time for the second round draft picks to start stepping up. And unfortunately, in a darn special teams drill not even contact and he goes down and they sort of knew right away. They waited to get an m R. I report. And when you guys were doing Jerry at the car wash, when he was finished. I said, had you gotten an update on Sam Williams. He goes, well, we're supposed to get it around three o'clock and it was like three point thirty and he said, I'm gonna probably get it here soon. He said, but it doesn't look good. So they kind of knew. They were just kind of hoping. And then I saw him over by the trainer's room. He was on one of the golf carts and they were or the cart. They took him away and they were taking him back to his room. So he just got back from his MRI. So, yeah, that's a that's a tough one. And uh, you know, we could spend a lot of time on his absence and what it means to this team and who has to step up, but gosh, they just can't seem to get through that first week or so. Last year it was three torn acls.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you have to you come to expect that it's gonna happen. He just you just hope it's not you. If you're a player. You know, I can't understand every morning you wake up, a player wakes up and says a prayer of that this isn't my day, you know, because you see it around the league. There will there will be someone will keep a running tally of how many a cls there are around the league. It's just, uh.
Speaker 3: Goes on with this Brad Sham Brad Sham's line, and I'm sure you he uses it every year we go to training camp, Uh, he said, we go to training camp to find out who gets hurt. And it's just inevitable. Right, So yeah, feel bad for him, just because this needed to be his year to flourish his third year. He got here at ole Miss as sort of they looked at him as a pass rush specialist, but a guy that needed to play more football to become a complete defensive end. And I thought this was going to be the year for him to flourish, and four practices in he's done for the season.
Speaker 5: He's also such a key contributor on special teams, just the amount of work that he put in last season and some big plays that he had. It's a tough loss in that area as well. But I mean, when you're looking at the depth of this position, that's what is a little rocky right now. When do you guys think they're.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's right. One of the notes is we were getting ready and when Mickey talks about the Karwa, what that is is on one day during training camp with Jerry, and then we'll do it again with Dak later this week, probably on Thursday. I think all the TV stations get their opportunity to one by one to seven to ten minute or in the case of Mike Deucy, a fifteen minute interview in Sam Gannon with Jerry shot take well, pull back the curtain.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: So Channel four, which is Mike Deucy and Sam Gannon, they go first, Okay, everyone else just has one reporter here. Well with Deucey and Sam. Okay, they each have to ask a certain amount of questions. And so Mike's first question to Jerry, and there's eight other TV stations waiting in line. Jerry's going to do these one on ones with eight or nine TV stations that are here at camp. It's the first question that Ducy asked. He was about Sam Williams. Of course they didn't have the results yet, but just how much he means to the team. And Jerry went four minutes on the answer, and we get we get like five or six minutes is what we're supposed to get on these, and so David Bruce E b R. He's got the stopwatch on it, and it's like he just re zeroed it after this Sam Williams one. So but then you've got Mike asking a question, and Sam's got to ask a question. And then if Jerry is going to go two minutes on each one, all of a sudden you're up to ten.
Speaker 3: Well, see, I got there after just after they started, and I was it was curious that nobody else asked about Sam Williams, I said, And then after you said that, it's like, well, they said all he needed to say about Sam.
Speaker 2: Williams, and we didn't have it. Channel four only had it, and so we just went with it. And it was also incomplete at that time, right, And that's the thing is you're on you have to be with in those situations. You have to be really strategic on your questions with Jerry, because if you stumble and say, oh, what a great day it is here in Oxnard. Jerry, to his credit, because he doesn't have a stopwatch on him, he's just talking. You know, he'll go into a story about al Davis that takes four minutes, and now you only have two minutes left and you've got six more questions to ask. But anyway, prior to that, we were talking about Sam Williams and Jerry was saying that, you know, he has some Micah Parsons type qualities about him as far as it traits, as far as his athleticism and so forth, and I said, yeah, if you just go look at his stats in the limited playing time that he had, his sacks per snap in his first two years in the league eight.
Speaker 3: And a half.
Speaker 2: I think I did the numbers on it last night. It's eight and a half sacks and I think around five hundred and seventy six snaps. That is a sack every sixty seven snaps his career.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Well, if you look at Micah's sack rate over his snaps, it's a sack every sixty six snaps in his career, very similar numbers.
Speaker 5: Then.
Speaker 2: Now, the difference is being a pass rush specialist. Sam Williams was usually only in on pass rush situations while Micah is in on every snap and so that's you can't really take that literally, but it does show the potential that Sam Williams has and how big a loss it is.
Speaker 3: Well, he finished last year third on the team in sacks with four and a half. Obviously, Micah led with the fourteen, Dorren Somstrong had seven and a half. Dante Fowler was right behind Williams with four, Lawrence with four, so he had four and a half sacks already three hundred snaps roughly. So yeah, do the math on it. It's it's like seven sack every seven snapna apps right, if my math is correct, way off seven seven seven, yeah, yeah, seventy So gosh, it's just it would be a huge loss. Yes, it was every seven. I had seven on there, and it's like I forgot the zero. But yeah, and what what Savannah was pointing out, if you remember a guy that's uh six four two fifty five, they were using him as a gunner on the mont.
Speaker 2: He's Hollywood Henderson going down as a gunner or extra manly early in his career was a gunner.
Speaker 3: For the He just he just needed to remember that you can't get the punt return.
Speaker 2: He might he might save you, he might save you fifteen yards, but I might also uh give up fifteen.
Speaker 3: Or whatever a couple of times, Familliam. So let's let's go this way. So you lose him, say Michael Parsons at linebacker, so you got DeMarcus Lawrence and then well where do they go after that? And if you look at the depth chart, to me, it's Marshawn Neeland.
Speaker 2: Now, Marshaw Kneeland from day one out here in this ramp up period. I mean, he's up there with the ones a lot and he's impressive out here. And Mike McCarthy talked about him in his press conference yesterday, his maturity, Marshaw kneelan he's going to have a real opportunity now to get a lot of playing time this year in his rookie season.
Speaker 3: And don't try to diminish his ability because he went to Western Michigan. This guy can play. I talked to Greg greg Ellis about him for quite a bit and he's just in love with the guy. He said, his motor runs. He said, he plays every play like the last play that he'll ever play in his life. They love his mowner. I was watching when the uh SO they went Levanon leven yesterday and the intensity was picking up. His pass rush was impactful. You know, they can't sack the quarterback, can't hit the quarterback, but he was pushing people into the quarterback. Uh So he's got to he's got to play now. He's got to step up because.
Speaker 2: I think he was gonna play anyway even without this injury. He was going to play a lot, and now they needing to.
Speaker 3: Play a lot because the rest of the guy, godness, there's no really experience at that position. Uh after after Sam Williams, I.
Speaker 5: Did get to chat with them for a little bit the other day and I asked him kind of where his headspace was at, given this as his first NFL camp, and he kind of credited to Marcus Lawrence and learning from him as a veteran, and just you know, his mind sat right now. He seemed very calm, and he seemed very focused. So that's what I appreciated about Kneeland. He's here to put in the work, but he's really looking up to DeMarcus Lawrence right now to learn that skill set. So you know, I think there's a lot of big things we're going to see out of him, but it's it's.
Speaker 4: The step up.
Speaker 2: And I think that when they drafted him, it was with the idea we'll see how much longer DeMarcus plays in his career. But he's the he was the heir apparent to DeMarcus Lawrence as a left base defensive end right, but he has the ability to play all along the defensive line, and they'll they flip DeMarcus and whoever's the other defensive end anyway.
Speaker 3: But strong side right and.
Speaker 2: So but but Niland, I mean, it's a I'm when they give him number ninety four, it raises my eyebrows right off the bat rcause that's a significant number to give a player.
Speaker 3: And uh tough guy too, by the way, because in in Uh, I believe it was the rookie mini camp. I've noticed that the second day of the camp he wasn't out there. And then when they went to OTA's when they weren't in helmets, he wasn't out there. And so I was like, uh, I heard you. You had to go see the doctor after that first practice, and he goes, yeah, I had to get my nose realigned. He goes, it was an accidental hit to my nose. And he goes, he goes, I could have played, but they didn't want me out there doing any drills without my helmet on.
Speaker 2: Right away, he sounds like a soccer player. Well, I mean a hockey player.
Speaker 3: Yeah, abandon on it. There's a little toughness to him.
Speaker 5: Also, by the way, well, Mickey and I got to talk to Mazzy Smith yesterday for a little bit after practice, and Micky, what did you think?
Speaker 3: Well, two things about Mazi so far. Number One, he's another guy they need to flourish, no doubt, can't have any season like he had last year, playing four snaps in a playoff game. So he was one that I was like, Okay, Well a couple things. Number one, it appears and I think it's gracious for us to say he was two ninety last year, because I don't think he was over two ninety after they drafted him at three twenty eight for some reason, and it's a mystery to everybody. I asked why he lost all that weight. Well, it appears now he's back over three hundred. He said. He's probably an ideal playing right would be around three ten three point fifteen. Well, that's what you want for a nose tackle, right, a guy that you want to be a run stuffer to hold up things so the linebackers can clean up uh in the running game. So two things. The day before or it was two days before, at the end of practice, he got in a little skirmish and I was like, God, bless him, that's that. Yeah, And it was like, there, he's got some red blood in his veins. There's some fire. Finally, yes, exactly. And then the other day and you know, when we talked to him, that was the first time he'd spoken, because he looked like he was going to talk the day before, and then he got in a one on one and he didn't want to talk to anybody else. Uh So, at least he admitted what his playing weight was gonna be. And he said that They asked him about his goals for this year and he said, it's a clean slate, and I'm going it's a good thing. The slates clean, you know, start from scratch. But they need him to be a player because after that, you know, they drafted, uh I keep forgetting the guy's first name, Rogers just seventh rounder out of seventh round. And then they've got Savannahs Guy Denzel Dackson or Dackson Denzel.
Speaker 5: Denzel Dockson, Yes, yes, from the Bahamas are international player.
Speaker 3: A rookie free agent and Carl Davis and Carl Davis but.
Speaker 2: Veteran guy who is here they picked up in November last year. He's a great teammate, he's a great team guy, veteran guy, but he's not a guy that uh will be getting a lot of I mean, he'll get he'll be in a rotation, right, he makes the team whatever. But but yeah, it's a this is what this is what happens when you And this is the whole reason why there's so much consternation right now on the big contracts that are due with CD and with Dak and then next year with Micah is you have to have players who fit under this salary cap, and you have to have young players that step up. And that's why how devastating it is to have an injury to a young player like Sam Williams yesterday, because he at least had a couple of years of experience. And now you're leaning on guys who may have been on the squad, the practice squad or whatever the last couple of years who they see potential, but they haven't done it before in this league. But it was not only on the edge, but also you look at defensive tackle. They lost Jonathan Hankins in free agency, went to Seattle. Nevill Gallimore's now in Miami, and they weren't able to do anything in free agency. It wasn't that they didn't want to. They couldn't because of they're financially strapped because of the money that they got to pay to I mean, a year from now, they could have the the highest paid quarterback, the highest paid wide receiver, and the highest paid defensive player in the league, which roster.
Speaker 3: No other team has. Right by the way, no other team has three of those. So that's why when you invest the first round pick on Mozzi, and even though it was only the twenty sixth pick in the first round, the guy's got to stepped up. And if everybody wants to understand what maybe the teammates think of him, just go find Micah Parson's interview from the second day of training camp. Someone asked him what do you think that Mozzi can be? And he goes, it's not what I think he can be. He has to be. It's not like we got to sit there and hope he can do this and this. He needs to do it now. And truer words were never spoken. And he talked about how he's keeping an eye on him he's making sure he's doing what he's supposed to do. Bring him along getting conditioned because Stall the off season recovering from a shoulder surgery. All right, the first practice he had, that's probably a good time of taker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is the time to take a break. And because of the background noise here and we'll be back at talk snard to just a moment.
Speaker 1: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 4: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction. Miller Lite is brewed to be less feeling. What are you doing here? Miller Lite tastes great. Look, I'm just reading the script. It says less filling.
Speaker 2: That's not what my script says.
Speaker 4: Hell mindset.
Speaker 6: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers. Middle Light is in fact less filling and taste great. I'm a shine legal guy. Celebrate responsibly. Milwaukee, Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousands to be point two grams cards for twelve bounces, fewer Cowson cards than premium regular beer.
Speaker 2: Fall is here and that means football is back, bringing all the delicious game day foods with it as you prep for all the big games. Tailgates and watch parties. Let Yo Kiero be your one stop destination for all things home game. Yo Kiro's fresh, flavorful, ready to serve guacamole made with real hass avocados will score taste bud touchdowns as you cheer on the Cowboys. Yo ki Hero's wide range of mouthwatering and versatile products can be found in your local grocery stores, produce or deli section. Grab some today.
Speaker 7: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 8: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: And they snapped the Prescott who looks right, it's not there. He escaped slap. He'll love full a couch down just like football.
Speaker 8: When it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 2: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 8: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 8: Get started at blockchain dot com to mixed shots.
Speaker 5: The official twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Star Magazine Training Camp Preview is now available. This year's edition features scouting reports, position analysis, a pull out schedule poster, in articles from your favorite Cowboys writers. Get your Training Camp Preview today at your local pro shop or Dallascowboys dot Com, slash Star, or you can read a portion that Mickey wrote. Of course, you have.
Speaker 3: To first story in the magazine. Exactly is there?
Speaker 2: Can we get a sneak peek of what it was about?
Speaker 3: It was just about a lot of the questions that they had to answer, and the fact that when you go twelve and five and then lose in the first round of the playoffs, they don't grandfather you in the next year to go twelve and five. They don't grandfather you back in to the playoffs. You got to start from scratch. And one of the things I had Dak talking about, and you know, he sort of talked about it when he was talking about his contract, was you gotta stay where your feet are. You can't be sitting there and try to think, oh, we got to win twelve games just to get back in the playoffs. You get overwhelmed. You got to start from scratch. You start over, one step at a time and go through the process. So he was really good about pointing out that while losing that Green Bay playoff game can motivate you, it can't be this dark cloud over you the whole time. I thought he was really good talking about it before he got here.
Speaker 2: By the way, speaking of answering, Speaking of answering questions, Micah was so good And as Mickey said in the last segment, go find the Micah Parsons press conference from Friday. I think it was on Dallas Cowboys dot Com. Because when he has puts his mind to it, there he is so candid on every answer. In fact, I walked away from that thinking, you know what Micah has already established himself as one of the top players in Cowboys history on the field in just three years. You'll just look at the first three years of his career. He's also established himself in my mind, as one of the top five interviews probably in Cowboys history.
Speaker 4: Just why is that?
Speaker 2: He's because he doesn't give you canned answers. I mean, he listens to your question, he'll answers it. He's got personality with it, and he's got a fire about him, you know, and he has a I'm just thoroughly entertained this listening to him.
Speaker 3: Talk I think last year and that is a promo for the Edge podcast. Ah, he answers questions in a way. You're sitting there going so does he Does he lay awake at night thinking up these things to say? Or is it just spontananeous. It's spontaneous.
Speaker 2: After his football career, Michael Parsons can be Charles Barkley on a NFL studio show.
Speaker 3: Which I'm sure already has that in his mind. Right.
Speaker 5: Hey, he hosts his own podcast. He knows what he's doing. He has that on camera presence.
Speaker 3: So your interview with Jerry, did you learn anything that you maybe didn't or something that stood out when you've got your eight minutes with him or whatever it was.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure that you were listening. Did you learn an you pretty much know what you're gonna get. It's and by the way, Jerry was very he was in a very good, talkative mood yesterday trying to think through you know we talked about uh well. I started it off saying that, Okay, I had a dream, that vision when I woke up this morning that there's going to be not one, but two contracts signed. Actually was thinking this week, but I couched it to say this camp and I do think that's gonna happen. I think that they're going to get both of them done.
Speaker 3: This sounds like the closer ond. Yeah, right. I think that helps, you know, speak any of those contracts. And I wanted to point that out. These quarterbacks that are getting signed, they're all getting signed to their second quarter second contract, most of them to.
Speaker 2: Jeorge Burrow. There's five or six up Lawrence, all of them.
Speaker 3: Here's here's the deal with those contracts. When they sign them like that early, they can sign them to a five year or four year extension whatever it ends up being. But the contract then is over five years, because they had one year left on their original contract, and the original contract for a quarterback, the base salary is probably no more than four million dollars. So if you add the total of the extension, what everybody says, it's fifty five million. But if you add the four million that he still had to play for, right, and divide it by five, then all of a sud a sudden, he's averaging forty million dollars a year over the length of their control over him. And so you know, no one looks at it that way. I figured out that to his contract over five years, he's going to average forty two point six million.
Speaker 2: Dollars if you factor in this year's.
Speaker 3: Yes, the base salary, because.
Speaker 2: What he's getting is for this year he gets a signing.
Speaker 3: Signing bonus exactly. And now you can divide the signing bonus pro rated over five years instead of four years, right, And so that's huge. The other thing is, with a lot of these contracts being signed, especially justin Jefferson, the last year in those contracts aren't guaranteed. So they give you how much it's guaranteed, and then the last year they'll stuff forty three million non guaranteed money into the base salary, and so you can't it blows up the average, but it's not guaranteed, so you can get out of the contract for just you know, a little bit of dead money. So there there's ways that you can structure these things, because justin Jefferson's if you look at it, it's a thirty million dollar a year a year average, not thirty five if you take out that last year that he's not guaranteed. So there's a lot that goes into that structure of how these things are. And the agent wants you to think, oh, it's thirty five million a year, but there's a lot of stuff in there that's not thirty five million a year. So that's my rant on it.
Speaker 2: As you were talking, I was sitting there looking up Jordan Loves. I'm not prepared to speak on this yet because I got to look at all these numbers. I was looking at over the cap on Love's contract, which was announce as four years, two hundred and twenty million, right, yes, okay, And again I can't speak on it because on over the cap it's got him out where he's a free agent in twenty nine, one two three, Yeah, so that would make sense. But I think his deal, I can't remember the exact numbers, but I think for this year he was due to make eleven million something like that. He signed last year a two year make good basically a two year, twenty or twenty two million dollar contract, And so you're factoring that eleven million dollars whatever it was that he was going to make this year over the five years, and that springs down the average value of the other thing on that Mickey, when you're talking about these quarterbacks that are getting their second contracts, well, with Dak, this is his third contract, so we've already gone down the road here where he got a four year, one hundred and sixty million dollar deal, which naturally has void years on the end of it, and so like, for instance, if Dak leaves after this year, there's a forty million dollar cap hit even if he doesn't play for the Cowboys next year. So the Cowboys are having to factor that money into the third contract that that Dak is signing. And so it's much more complicated than what it is with the younger quarterbacks.
Speaker 5: And the consensus this entire week so far is that conversations as far as DAK contract goes, is that there's conversations happening and they're good conversations and they're positive conversations. So that's what the consensus is. When it will get done is the bigger question. Hopefully it will be well sooner and.
Speaker 2: I think and I think what happened on Friday was very significant in the Dak presco. That's why I think that the deal will get done before the season starts Friday.
Speaker 5: Can you recap.
Speaker 2: Because of what happened on Friday, which was Tua signing his contract and Jordan Loves signing with Packers, Because now that leaves Dak Prescott as the only incumbent starting quarterback in the league who's going into the final year of his contract. So and so the leaves have fallen off the trees now and so now you there's you don't have to wait on Okay, what what are the Packers going to do with Jordan Love? That's set right now where fifty five million dollars a year, the agent number fifty five million dollars a year, not factoring in what Mickey was just talking about, where you've got the last year of the current contract for both two and Jordan repea factor in that is what you're working off of. So both sides know, okay, this is what we're working off of. Now, let's come to.
Speaker 3: A when they when they had his average, what counted in the average was not only are they given guys signing bonuses, they're given option bonuses. Well, the option bonus is sometimes it's for however many years, it's guaranteed. But the last two years he has a thirty nine point five million dollar option bonus in twenty twenty six and a thirty one point five million dollar option bonus in twenty twenty seven. That's not guaranteed. So if you add that up, that's what seventy million dollars are, seventy one million dollars in that contract out of the total that is not guaranteed. But they average that in because that's money he can make. But if it's not guaranteed, then his average kind of goes down to about twenty million dollars a year. So that's why when Jerry says he's got to see some of the leaves fall, well, it's not the package leave, it's the inside of the contract, the guaranteed money that you need to factor in because that's what you're trying to get to your guy. And as Bill said, they still got to account for forty million dollars of restructure bonus on Dak's contract, So whatever you pay him, that's added in because it's already there in in voided years.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: So I pulled up two his numbers on over the cap and his deal was announced as a four year, two hundred twelve million dollar deal two hundred twelve point four or something like this, like fifty three point one million, which made him at the time because Jordan Love signed late later in the day, the third highest contract per season fifty three point one. You have Joe Burrow and Trevor Lawrence and now Jordan Love at fifty five million per year. Okay, but truly is what Mickey was pointing out with the they're still working off the last year of tuas contract here, So if you factor it over five years, the actual average per year over the next five years that the Dolphins are paying Toua is not fifty three point one million dollars a year. It's forty seven million dollars a year.
Speaker 3: So so yeah, so that's that's what when Jerry says that everybody jumps on him right away, right, but he's he's factoring in what the real numbers are.
Speaker 2: That's why Jerry says he's good at math, that's right. Despite it, did Jerry address that. Jerry address that with the media out here after the opening ceremonies the other day where he reads what the writers are saying about it, and that he's not good at math when he says, if you sign all these guys at seventy percent of the cap, well, Jerry is factoring in all that dead money.
Speaker 3: Right, and he's got to account for it. Right.
Speaker 2: It's a salary cap.
Speaker 3: That's how he got to seventy percent because because if you look but if you looked at it realistically, say they gave Dak sixty million a year, and they give Lamb and Parsons forty million a year. So add that up sixty forty that's one hundred and one hundred and forty million. The cap this year, for an example, is two fifty five. So three guys are basically taking up half of your cap. And then if you add the dead money in there, that's how he got to.
Speaker 2: Say and the reason why Jerry says he knows better than anybody living about the future of the salary cap is I mean, he told us that he spent eight or ten days in la Or earlier this month where that Sunday ticket trial is going on, and one of the witnesses on there and.
Speaker 3: Which could cost them money, which would lower the salary cap for the.
Speaker 2: Next day, gets resolved. You don't know for sure.
Speaker 3: So one last thing on this, and I'm tired of hearing it. Just sign them, right, you don't know what the other sides asking for. Everybody's like, well, justin Jefferson there it is thirty five million a year. Well, if I'm the agent, thirty five is my low part, right, I want forty. It's the same of course, right, yeah, exactly, see, I want forty. So you don't know what they're asking for. And so that's why this idea of while you're dragging your feet trying to sign these guys, well those guys are dragging their feet getting their money.
Speaker 2: Okay. Vickey is off his soap box, and we have Savannah's sightings at training camp when mix shots continue in just a moment.
Speaker 7: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. Built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas, help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 1: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 4: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction. Miller Lite is brewed to be less filling. What are you doing here? Miller Lite tastes great. Look, I'm just reading the script. It says less fillings.
Speaker 2: That's not what my script says.
Speaker 4: Hell mindset.
Speaker 6: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers. Miller Light is in fact less filling and taste great. I'm mishine legal guy, Celebrate Responsiblylwaluky Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousands to be point two grams carbs for twelve ounces, fewer cowsand cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 2: Fall is here and that means football is back, bringing all the delicious game day foods with it as you prep for all the big games, tailgates and watch parties. Let Yo Kiero be your one stop destination for all things homegating. Yo Kiero's fresh, flavorful, ready to serve guacamoli made with real half avocados will score taste bud touchdowns as you cheer on the Cowboys yoke heroes. Wide range of mouth watering and versatile products can be found in your local grocery stores, produce or deli section. Grab some today.
Speaker 8: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: And they snapped the press guy who looks right, it's not there. He escapes left.
Speaker 4: He'll run for a first down.
Speaker 8: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 2: Press Scot's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 8: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 8: Get started at blockchain dot com to mixed shots.
Speaker 5: Dallas Cowboys Youth football and dance Camps presented by Invisiligne are back. Athletes of all skill levels, ages six to sixteen are invited to learn from the best this summer at four Center at the Start in Frisco. Campers have the chance to learn technical skills and lessons on teamwork from former NFL players and the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders. Two or three day camps are available now. Visit Dallascowboys dot com slash camps to learn more and register today.
Speaker 2: Mickey, I think has a weather report.
Speaker 3: Sixty degrees.
Speaker 5: The sun is coming in.
Speaker 3: I feel it. It's nice. There's something wrong with this, it said ox Nard. Spotty drizzle ending in twelve minutes.
Speaker 2: There are there's not a cloud of the sky clear blue.
Speaker 3: If it drizzles, it'll be a sprinkler system. What is that?
Speaker 5: It will be the sprinklers right here on the fields.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what though. One thing here. If you're in the sun, yes, there's a there's probably I don't know what it is. It's ten degree difference maybe from the sun to the shape.
Speaker 3: The curvature of the Earth. Because we're closer to this.
Speaker 2: It's the breeze. Okay, it's the breeze coming off the at Pacific Ocean.
Speaker 3: Is the hottest day time of the day is when we have Mike McCarthy's president.
Speaker 2: It is. That's the hottest place on earth.
Speaker 5: But Mickey always wears a long sleeve like dark shirt and is just sitting there.
Speaker 3: What well, because I started off at sixty degrees and then all of a sudden, it feels like it's seventy five.
Speaker 2: All right, wait to him.
Speaker 3: You notice they've put carpet down, so it takes some of the steam off the tennis.
Speaker 2: Curt Okay, very true. I didn't know this. I noticed the carpet, but I didn't realize that was.
Speaker 3: What was why. Yeah, well you ask operations here, you're yes, I ordered that.
Speaker 5: Okay, Well I played a part in it.
Speaker 3: But you love the blue carpet.
Speaker 5: Yesterday, Micky and I were standing on the sideline watching our offensive line just runs some drills, and Mickey and I were watching Chuma Doga and I mentioned, you know Tuma the other day we were talking about him on the show a little bit, and I said to Mickey, I said, you know what, Mickey, so every morning, I get up around five thirty five forty five, I go on a nice walk in Oxford.
Speaker 3: Dragon. Sorry, I like to get up.
Speaker 5: You get up really too.
Speaker 2: But back in the day, that's when some of us came in a train camp.
Speaker 3: It's like, how did we survive Austin? That's all I love. Well.
Speaker 5: One of the first people that I see walking towards the weight room every single morning is Chuma Doga and Mickey and I were looking at him yesterday and Micky even pointed out he looks like he lost a little bit of weight. He looks just healthier, a little bit more physical than I think we had thought last season.
Speaker 3: They're listed.
Speaker 2: And players just off the cuff are singing his praises. I think Dak can't remember who else they unsolicited. They brought up Tchuma as a guy that has really come on.
Speaker 3: Having said that, who was taking the first team snap?
Speaker 2: Said Tyler yesterday?
Speaker 5: First round pick Tyler.
Speaker 2: You know what this was interesting? My photographer at CBS eleven, Bill Ellis, he mentioned to me yesterday, said, man that Tyler Gaydon, he gets off the ball quick. I've never seen someone get off the ball as quick as him, and so he's tight on him, shooting him at the snap, and he loses him when he gets off the off the snap, and so I found that interesting, which reminded me I remember Leon Lett and speaking of Austin training camp, there's I've never seen a player get off the ball faster than leon Lett did, especially early in his career. I remember watching Leon out of Imporia State his rookie year in Austin, and I'm going, who's that guy? I mean, just getting off the ball so quickly. So maybe Geiden's got that same instinct about it.
Speaker 3: So when they did their gosh, I lose track to the opening ceremony, they did a mock game, basically a walk through practice. Well, Geyiton was taking the first team snaps and I'm like, okay, it's the walkthrough.
Speaker 2: Maybe show Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then yesterday when they went team, he was the first team left tackle. So they didn't take very long to say, okay, let's go because they need it right as I said, And you made fun of me. Chuma is a good swing tackle, but I don't want them out there starting right no matter what kind of shape he's in. And if you look at what they paid him, he got one of those veteran exception contracts where you get a little bit more but it doesn't count against the salary cap. And so he's in that boat. So that tells you it's like it's a one year deal, nothing much guarantee. So they need Geyton to step up and be that player. And it looks like he's on his way now. When you asked him about taking some snaps with the first team, he said, I just go where the coaches tell me to go. Right. He was very everything, what's your goal to play with attitude and grit, you know? And uh and I said okay. Because he was very talkative when he came in for his draft press conference.
Speaker 2: I think he was just so giddy that he got attracted by his favorite team, right, you know, And then we get he gets around veterans and and even with Duke in the offensive line guru that he works with on a daily basis. You know, he gets great advice from people that know you're a rookie, you know your place.
Speaker 5: But I think the real work is going to come in tomorrow when they're in pads, and that's going to be a good thing to see out of Tyler Guidon even coach McCarthy said yesterday, the padded practices are critical for the development of our team, but especially for our offensive line.
Speaker 2: We know what we're looking for. Well, you know what we're watching tomorrow. It's Micah versus Geyiton right tomorrow.
Speaker 3: And it may it's shining on what they're doing and maybe Nielan versus Geiton tomorrow because.
Speaker 2: If but but I want to see Micah versus Guidon. So and Mike has said. Michael was asked about it. I think it was his interview with the NFL network out here on Saturday. He was asked about it and he said, Uh, Daniel Jeremiah asked, if you're gonna give him a bull rush, what are you gonna do? No, it's all speed. I'm going all speed. See if you can handle his speed.
Speaker 3: And that's the key thing right now. Because so Michael was pretty funny when they asked him, uh about Tyrone Smith not being here. I think his answer was, uh, I'm happy and sad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a happy and sad day that for the team, just the way he said it, right, Savannah, you asked about what is it about Mike? You know, it's just it's his facial expression, you know, the way he's talking Travon right and Tuts what happened to he's describing. You know, he's like like this. He talks about how intelligent he is, how he keeps great notes and whatever. But he walks around like, you know, whats right? We used to say Putts and it's like he had to define what Tuts was right. And then he said, he said, and by the way he goes, Tyrant was my welcome to the NFL moment. So when we walked off, we were right over there, and I said, what was the moment he goes? I walked into the locker room and saw.
Speaker 3: Him and what he and what he was saying. It's like, I gotta play guys like that, you know. And you see when you see and think about Tyron, when you see him when he's got those knee braces on his elbows and he's got his helmet on, he looks like the gladiator they show at the beginning of the Fox pregame show or whatever. You know, that big thing there.
Speaker 2: And by the way, you asked me about Jerry's interview yesterday, and I prefaced it by Tyler Geyton question by saying that Tyron Smith no longer here, right, for the first time in twelve years or whatever. And my question is about Tyler, But Jerry wanted to talk about Tyron first. And you talk about a player that Jerry has immense respect for. Tyron Smith is going into that ring of honor probably as soon as he retires's.
Speaker 3: Mind, and then five years later into the profile, you know. And what somebody had told me. One of the reasons, well, one of the reasons he got guaranteed twelve million dollars right because they gave him like these playings game incentives. But he had accomplished all those this past year, so it's guarant they have to count for that money if he doesn't. If he doesn't do it, then they get a rebate next year. So it wasn't that whatever the base salary was the Cowboys couldn't match. It was the guaranteed there.
Speaker 2: Was like the poison pill.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, exactly it was. But somebody told me, well, one of the reasons he went there was they're going to probably with Aaron Rodgers on the field, throw the ball more than he would have to run block, and that's easier on him pass blocking than having to run block. I don't know, but anyway, yeah, he's not here, and Mike, that was what a great answer. I'm happy and sad.
Speaker 2: And it's a happy and sad day for us too. It's sad because we're not going to see each other the rest of the day, but it's happy because we're off the rest of the day at least maybe y'all.
Speaker 3: Are Yes, absolute got a little TV to okay.
Speaker 2: Other than that, Producer Supreme is working hard on a day off of the players, and we appreciate his work. As always, we're out of time here. What do you say we do it again? Uh? Wednesday?
Speaker 3: That's better than waiting what I'm here for it. We wait for last Thursday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And so on Wednesday we have our review of the first padded practice of training camp. For it tomorrow, great day, we will hear an ox Snard.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.