Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of Geist Almighty. That's courtesy of Hugo Bossk.
Speaker 2: Okay, you know about that? Do I know about Hugo Bosk? Yeah? You know who Bosque is? I don't trand Ocean bounty Hunter. Oh man, your son would know.
Speaker 1: You so embarrassed that I didn't, fuck dad. We actually just got a book of like every Star Wars character, and I have to say I am impressed with George Lee. I guess this is a known thing that George Lucas is the best at, like coming up with fake names.
Speaker 2: But man, he.
Speaker 1: Really denar come really killing it. Man.
Speaker 2: What's one you? What's one that jumped out at you?
Speaker 1: I mean I had heard the words salacious crumb before, but I don't think I knew that it was a Star Wars character. I thought it was just like a fucking cookie or something.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's like the rat god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and job is BArch But yeah, there's some there's some good ones.
Speaker 2: It's like two hundred and forty eight characters.
Speaker 1: And my son's like, what does this say? And then I have to turn around while driving and read.
Speaker 3: You're like, uh, this is salacious crumb. He's a gesture in the court of crime. Lord Jaba Desgic to you, I don't know.
Speaker 2: We're doing.
Speaker 1: We're going deep in the Star Wars cannon canon. I am Jack. That is Miles Bray. These are some things.
Speaker 2: That are trending.
Speaker 1: Great to be here, it's great, great to have you, Miles, thanks much. Gen Z is letting the millennials know not to wear skinny jeans anymore, as our girlfriends are letting their boyfriends know, or just removing their boyfriend's skinny jeans from their closet because.
Speaker 2: Men are cool videos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then make the cool videos like POV you threw away all your boyfriend's skinny.
Speaker 3: Gee, you threw away all your boyfriend's clothes and he's nude in the street every shot.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, this is like a thing that's been happening for a while.
Speaker 3: Like gen Z has been saying, skinny jeans are fucking whack shit, like why y'all wearing them? But it's funny now because it's like that battle has now is beginning to manifest now, like millennials saying.
Speaker 2: Like I got rid of my skinny jeans? What's up?
Speaker 3: It's like a lot of dudes or like me after I got rid of my skinny jeans and they're all playing the same like Lona del Ray song Underneath. But I just love like some of the comments on some of the other videos are like people asking for gen z insight on their own jeans, like if their jeans are too baggy, if they are are too skinny, what is considered skinny? Are they washed or are they with the times? But yeah, the greatest, the greatest relationship on the Internet continues between millennials and gen Z.
Speaker 1: Miles, what you just said was so tight tight like skinny jeans. Sorry, my internet fro so, I have no idea what you just said, but I heard like little bits of it and it was it was dope.
Speaker 3: I'm just I'm saying nothing. We've talked about constantly about skinny gene. But also I said a shout out to the greatest love affair on the Internet between millennials and gen Z, Like where gen Z?
Speaker 2: You're kind of like, now, what the fuck are y'all doing?
Speaker 3: Y'all millennials doing it like millennials and never like shut the fuck up, you suck, like you know a past generation might were like.
Speaker 1: Really yeah, oh, like am I bad. Okay, we do suck? Can you help me not suck? Are these okay? Are these okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And like it's and credit to gen Z because they embrace it too, like because they post videos they're like, look, let me help y'all skinny jean wearing motherfuckers out. Here's some here's some ways to look modern like you're in twenty twenty three. Luckily for me, I could never fit into skinny jeans. Any jeens that have appeared skinny were purely because of my plumpers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the baggy, baggy up top or what you have, just plumpers top end.
Speaker 2: All the way through the thigh to the calf.
Speaker 3: Man, It's yeah, no, light's getting through there. That's why I'm wearing big cargo pants now. It's like I'm I'm like, I'm in daddy mode. I'm like, fuck, yeah, bro, bring these baggy ass cargoes into my life. Yeah, because it's nice to put a phone in your pocket and not feel like it's.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, look at that. You're you're you're learning, You're you're evolving.
Speaker 2: He's learning, he's becoming sentient.
Speaker 1: I'm still not comfortable unless you can see the outline of my underwear through my jeans.
Speaker 2: That's I know it. It's that's yeah, it's important to me. I'm like, man, those.
Speaker 3: Boxers look really bunched uff on one side, it's funny to know exactly not just that I have change in my pocket, but how much changed exactly I have in my pocket.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it's a The videos are funny. They're like POV your boyfriend after you threw out his skinny jeans and then he's just wearing all these like baggy pants, but they're playing like Lana del Rey over it.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's good. It's your love, it, it's your wonderful life together.
Speaker 1: And then it starts out with a picture of him in skinny jeans, just like looking like an unwashed piece of shit, this asshole.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Anyways, before you leave your husband or break up with your significant other, try throwing out their skinny jeans first. Yeah, just cut them to pieces and say maybe this will savage things. I would say, do that before going to a couple's therapy, Yes, oh for sure, couple. Yeah, your couples therapists is probably going to tell you the same thing you just told you.
Speaker 3: Why you guys, here, hold on before I even ask you why you guys here have you thrown out of skinny jeans?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Okay, I would then I'm you know what I'm going to do your solid I'm not going to charge you for this fifteen minutes so far. Just go back and do that and then come back after that. That's the pauge chief.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: The NAACP has issued a travel advisory for people traveling to Florida, warning that the state is quote openly hostile towards African Americans, people of color, and LGBTQ plus individuals. Before traveling to Florida, please understand that the state of Florida devalues and marginalizes the contributions of and the challenge is faced by African Americans and other communities of color.
Speaker 3: Wow, you got a hot take there, right, pretty apt to descriptions, just like when those countries are like, don't go to America. Man on the I'm like, yeah, you know your part, that's about right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh man, what a sad state of things is. I'm sure Ron DeSantis is a is he school power about it?
Speaker 1: He said, what a joke? Yeah, we will see how effective that is.
Speaker 2: Holy shitch. So weird. It's like a weird how effective it is?
Speaker 1: Doesn't this like technically mean that he's saying, you can't stop me with your like puny travel advisory.
Speaker 2: Gone by it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what he's saying. Yeah, good luck with that. That ain't gonna stop me from being on my all my fascist shit. Yeah wow, what are the or it's just like or he thinks in such rigid business terms that he's like, oh, what do they think they can do? People not gonna come to Florida, right ha, because guess what for all the people that read that. Some people got excited by what you just read, right, so they will offset those.
Speaker 2: Who do not come. But I mean it, Yeah, I get why you would say that.
Speaker 3: But I can also see why Ronda Santis as craven as he is, would be like, yeah, what a joke.
Speaker 1: One of the NAACP reps who actually lives in Miami put it bluntly. We are cautioning people when they come here, you're going to experience what we are experiencing. Anytime there are policies that are going to be put in place that are going to impact and disrupt the quality of life of black people and all people of color. We take that very seriously, and Rhonda Santis screamed, what a joke.
Speaker 2: We'll see how effective that is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Mike, and you better not say racism because I'll throw you in jail because I just signed a new law that said racism is a hate crime word.
Speaker 2: Right, So we're headed the NBA playoffs.
Speaker 1: Uh oh, oh my god, dark turn for fans of the LA Lakers and the Boston Celtics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's true. It's true.
Speaker 1: Both franchises are down three to zero and when seven game series, no team has ever come back from being three to zero down?
Speaker 2: Is that in the history of sports or in basketball? I think it's just basketball.
Speaker 1: I'm sure. I feel like hockey, there's always like you know, a goalie will suddenly get hot or something right, and then it just turns off.
Speaker 2: Get's scoring from there as a.
Speaker 1: Goalie or just like being able to Like, isn't that a thing that happens in NHL playoffs? Were like suddenly just like one goalie, like who wasn't that great all season just suddenly turns just becomes impenetrable wall. Yeah, impenetrable wall. Yeah, suddenly that means the best.
Speaker 3: I don't know why saying that because that was the fucking Kings did that?
Speaker 2: Yeah didn't they? Zero three?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: So I don't know. The Lakers games have been close, and they're painful.
Speaker 3: Man, they're painful because we're doing tired, My god, fucking hurt.
Speaker 2: He looks mortal. That's what's so hard to watch. It is like he looks like a regular guy out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he doesn't look like Lebron James. But I mean, I don't know what to say.
Speaker 2: It is what it is.
Speaker 3: I mean, we've were it's hard because we're playing at our best, like we're doing as best as we can, but it's clear just not good enough to overcome them. Like the Nuggets are just a step above and there's nothing we can do about it.
Speaker 2: So I can make love that incredible.
Speaker 1: Jamal Murray uh Man truly the Yeah Lakers fans, he has entered the nightmares of Lakers fans for all years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's nightmare fuel.
Speaker 3: And then like you know, but then you look over there on the East Coast, Jimmy Butler, Jimmy Bukat, the buckets are coming, and the Celtics fans are the team.
Speaker 2: I don't know the team looks like they've given up, I think is which.
Speaker 1: Is weird because they are the more talented team. This was as big a favorite as any team has been in the Eastern Conference Finals or any conference finals.
Speaker 2: The Celtics were huge favorites.
Speaker 1: They were favored, so they lost the first two games in Boston, came to Miami, and the Celtics were favored again by Vegas, like they were four and a half point favorites, like not an insignificant amount of points after going down to oh at home, and then they got just beat by like thirty points.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I just love that the Lakers Celtics, right, Like, it's funny how it's manifesting with fans too, because like you know, obviously we're both getting joy out of watching our respective decline, but then at the end of the day, we're like, hold on, y'all, everyone expects you to be in the finals. Yeah, we started the year off from the literal gutter two for the Lakers, one celled organism. But again, I think it is what it is. I just but also like in true like Laker legend form, Magic Johnson is like fucking concern trolling, like the Celtics fans he said in my forty four years of being associated with the NBA, like whoa, whoa, whoa, you are really setting the weight up for this. I never thought i'd see a Boston Celtics team, a franchise with seventeen championships quit. I know Celtics fans all over the world must be disgusted and devastated. The Miami Heat blew them out one, one, o two in Game three. It's like, thank you for them, just that very like straightforward description.
Speaker 1: I know he is more people who aren't familiar with his Twitter person Ona Magic Johnson is the most bland and obvious, like captain obvious motherfucker who was ever tweeted. He'll just say he'll like recap a game that just ended after everybody or like you know, all fring their third level fourth level backlash to the backlash take. He's like, the Celtics dropped one in a you know in a big loss for them, but it was all in build up to him just killing the Celtics with a concern trolling tweet that was this one.
Speaker 3: Denver's defense has taken Laker guards Shroud and Russell completely out of their games.
Speaker 2: Thank you you.
Speaker 1: And they gave him a talk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know, I remember that I was watching that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're like, he's so nice, so he'll probably be entertaining as a late night talk show.
Speaker 2: He in fact was not. He was not. All right, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back.
Speaker 1: And we're back, and uber is trending after the head of diversity equity Initiative at uber is I think being placed on leave for some meetings, some like company wide diversity training meetings called don't call Me Karen about like how we people need to like stop calling white women Karen and like start thinking about their feelings.
Speaker 3: So in an era of diversity equity inclusion where your companies are trying to, you know, figure out how to do shit right, one of the talks here it's even described as like, yeah, like there's gonna be open and honest conversation about race, and like there were white speakers talking, I guess to people like don't call me Karen, diving into the spectrum of the American white women's experience as well as the quote Karen persona. And I think a lot of the people, like namely a lot of black employees or other like employees of color.
Speaker 2: Were like, what the fuck it?
Speaker 3: Like, why are we centering like the pain of someone who is called a Karen as part of our like understanding of better diversity equity or inclusion. Okay, uh yeah, they said it was offensive triggering them. These conversations were triggering. Apparently, the like the head of diversity equity inclusion was saying kind of clap back with a sort of a spicy reply, saying, quote, sometimes being pushed out of your own strategic ignorance is the right thing to do.
Speaker 1: Interesting, So who is being strategically ignorant here?
Speaker 3: I don't know. This is the thing that's so wild. Like DEI efforts, like at companies just they fall flat. Because if you're especially like when you're putting people from within the company, like in those roles who like might already have a vested interest to like not rock the boat too much, shit falls flat. And I don't know who if, like the DEI person was put up to do this or that through osmosis that they begin to feel empathy.
Speaker 2: And we're like, we need to both sides this conversation.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm just getting constant feedback from the c suite at Uber, like yes, is notoriously like a pretty problematic company.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you know they're they're not They're not so much for about equity for their fucking drivers.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's that's a bit of a roadblock.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I don't know why putting this DEI officer on leave is like unless they're like, oh, they completely went like rogue on us, did that? Or if they've just set up a woman of color who's in the DEI position to just be the fall person or their terrible like C suite man like guided DEI discussions. It's very it's hard to know without the full picture, but I will say I'm not surprised that a gigantic company just is falling short with the kinds of things they think are nuanced conversations are really eye opening conversations about race.
Speaker 1: There's been a breakthrough deal to keep the Colorado River from going dry, but it just seems like it's like, don't give California, Nevada, and Arizona as much water. So I don't know, this seems like a deal that will have consequences for people and they're lives, So I don't know it's being covered as like they figured it out but I think I think the thing they figured out is going to be like people use less water, so yeah, or I.
Speaker 3: Mean, is it gonna actually like like is it for agriculture because maybe people don't use that much water agriculture using yeah.
Speaker 1: Uses like fucking water park worth of water every two seconds, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, so they've just.
Speaker 3: I don't know, Okay, I'm like, so that's like the most frightening thing for me to think of as a Californian, because that's the Colorado River is like always front of mind, and when you drive by any of like the lakes that like serve as like reservoirs, you're.
Speaker 2: Like, oh fuck, what's going on?
Speaker 1: Even in La now, like after all this rain and you know, it's they're like all these wildflower blooms and stuff. But I was driving around I think of the valley this weekend and I look and there was this big like field that was green, and I was like, oh, that's a golf course. I'm sure enough like that that's those are the only places that have enough water.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, the golf courses. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I look at the I look at the hills, and I go, that's all turning into fuel. Yeah, I'm like, it's such a double edged sword. You look at it, because usually are we don't get enough rain in the winter for like our hills to have any kind of green on it.
Speaker 2: And now they are fucking green.
Speaker 3: And again, in the back of my mind, I'm like, then it durns to brush and then it becomes the fire fuel. But yeah, again, this is this is the world we're in. Uh So those those anxieties do not go away. I mean, I'm going to assume that some of the you know, reservations that are also counting on like water from here are also probably.
Speaker 2: Going to get a fucked deal. But I'll have to look further. But wow. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Agreement announced Monde calls for the federal government to pay about one point two billion dollars to irrigation district, cities and Native American tribes in the three states if they temporarily use less water.
Speaker 3: Okay, most of this cuts two point three million acre feet would come from water districts, farm operators, cities, and Native American tribes that agreed to take less.
Speaker 2: Water in order to qualify for the grants.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so they're just being like, hey man, what if I paid you to not need water exactly.
Speaker 1: Truly, seems like that's the plank. Do we got a deal? Well? Yeah, what about what?
Speaker 3: I don't know, buy it with the money we're giving you what We'll make it go right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I hope it works.
Speaker 3: Yeah, somebody with some expertise please hit me up tell me if this is good or bad before I read into it too much and I'm like, nothing's working.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Those are some things that are trending on this Monday May twenty second. We are back tomorrow with the whole last episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccine, don't do nothing about white supremacy.
Speaker 2: And we will talk to you all tomorrow. Bye bye