Speaker 1: It's another playoff edition of Bills by the Numbers where we let the stats tell you where the Bills are at. We're presented by fan who will make every moment more coming up. Why do the analytics people have this as another coin flip game for the Bills despite being on the road against the top seed in the AFC. Can Buffalo's run game have more success against the league's second rank run defense? And we'll have our one burning question. Let's kick it off now. Glad you joined us here on Bills by the Numbers. He is Bill Ball of Famer Speed Past Ground Bills played by playmat Chris Brown, and it's another playoff week for the Bills. After their narrow victory at Jacksonville last week. Josh Allen was masterful and the defense was opportunistic with a pair of takeaways off Trevor Lawrence. Things get real now, though, as Buffalo travels to face a BRONC team in Denver that has been lying in wait on the buy as the top seed in the conference. Add in the fact that it's a short week with the game on Saturday, and you would think Denver would be heavily favored. But as we begin these three things. We see that the oddsmakers have this as a close game, and even those in the analytics world essentially see this as a coin flip game. ESPN Analytics projects the Broncos is having a fifty one percent chance to win the game and the Bills at forty nine percent. So thing number one, do your eyeballs tell you that it's a coin flip game, Steve? And if so, why yeah, they do. Because you got a really good team playing at home. They've got an excellent defense. The game is going to be a close game. You can just you can feel by the matchup and the quality of the players on both sides. They've got a bye week, They're going to be healthier and fresher, playing at home in a raucous playoff crowd that all goes on in their favor. The Bills are coming in on a little bit of a roll, coming off a very hot win, beating a very hot team in Jacksonville. We've got the best player in football on their team, the best running attack in the league, and they came through a much more difficult schedule than the Broncos had to endure. Now, the Broncos won those games and bless their hearts. They did good, but the Bills have been tested. They've been in a lot of close games and they've gotten hit in the mouth a ton. That's why they're a little bit battered coming into this game. But they've got experience. They're a veteran ball club, particularly on the defensive side. Their offensive line is big, physical, They're gonna hang in there. So that's why it's a coin flip game. And the Broncos, even if you don't like their offense, this is the kind of team that's built. Like teams this year that have given the Bills problems Atlanta, Houston, Denver is the exact same. They're carried by a really stout defense. Elite talent on the defensive front for sure, as we know, sixty eight sacks for the team. Now, this was a team that had sixty four sacks a year ago. Granted they had to come to Buffalo to play them in the playoff game. They got two sacks on Josh in the game last season, a game won by the Bills thirty one to seven. Buffalo went down seven to nothing early and then scored thirty one unanswered points to leave him in the dust. I think we all agree this will be a much closer game. And look, the Bills, I think you can argue, are more battle tested than the Broncos. But the Broncos have been in some tight spots this season and pulled out victories. They have seven comeback wins this season. Thing number two. The calling card for the Broncos all season has been their defense, league leaders in sacks with sixty eight, eleven clear of the second ranked team in the league. What's interesting is, I think everyone would agree that since Week ten, Buffalo's defense has turned up their level of play, especially when it comes to pass coverage. How good, well, every bit as good as the Broncos passed defense. Buffalo's pass defense ranks one spot higher than Denver since Week ten, ranking seventh Denver's eighth. Completion percentage against Buffalo third at fifty eight percent, Denver fifth at fifty nine percent. Interception since week ten, Buffalo sixth in the league with nine, Denver fourteenth with six. Passer rating allowed Buffalo seventh at seventy five, Denver eighth at seventy seven point six. This despite the fact that the Bills have just eleven sacks over that span to Denver's twenty eight. What does that tell you about the effectiveness of Buffalo's ability to stop the pass down the stretch this season? Knowing it's been every good every bit is good, if not better than Denver.
Speaker 2: The Bill's secondary has been playing lights out. They're two corners, Turdavius White and Christian Benford have been locked down. They've been excellent their tiding country you saw it last week. Had nine pass breakups last week, nine against a quarterback that is a really good threat. So the windows are small, they're getting hands on it, they're defending the pass. They're not getting very many sacks, as you mentioned, but they're defending the pass at both ends. They're batting passes down with the line of scrimage. You saw a handful of them last week at the line of scrimmage against Jacksonville. That's been their calling card as well. So they have been really good upfront. Even if they're not getting the quarterback on the ground, they're getting in his vision and forcing either inaccurate throws or batting down passes. Tipped interceptions have been a big thing for this defense, and the secondary has been not only covering guys up on the edges with Benford and White, But they've also done a great job at the safety position when Poyer was in there along with Cole bishop As, making the quarterback slow down, trying to figure out what's going on in the back so that gives them an extra time and the pass rush it's makes the quarterback hesitant and that has helped their pass defense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the Poyer absence, which is likely this week with the hamstring injury, may change some things. Very curious to see how they choose to fill his role. Do they fill it with just one person for continuity's sake, or do they rotate guys in differently based on situation, down in distance, time in the game. Things like that will have to wait and see. But I think your point is well taken. The Bills don't get sacks, but they still impact the quarterback, either with pressure to hurry up passing decisions or by getting their hands up in the passing lanes and knocking them down. Greg Russo six foot seven, Dion Walker is six foot five. These guys put their hands up, it's a problem. It's a problem for opposing quarterbacks. I mean, Bonix makes a lot of plays outside the pocket. He does and has I think He's top five in completions outside the pocket this season. The Bills are like second in the league in fewest completions allowed from quarterbacks outside the pocket. They hang with their people and plaster even when the play breaks down.
Speaker 2: Yeah so, and slowing the quarterback down mentally and keeping him in the pocket has been a really good aspect of this Bill's defense since Week ten. And that's what they do getting their hands up. Rousseau is tall, Epanessa's tall, but I think the secondary giving him something post snap has made the quarterback haf to go Nope, that's not going to do it. That's not what I thought it was going to be. I gotta go over here. And you know, it's just that extra layer of processing mentally has really helped the Bills defense.
Speaker 1: It was fascinating last week against the Jaguars because early in the game the Jags try to quick snap to get the defense of the Bills to jump into their assigned call for the play, and that did not work. Later in the game, they tried to run the play clock down to force them to jump into what they were going to play instead of what they were disguising, and that didn't work either. The Bills literally wait until the snap and then race to their coverage assignments as fast as they can. I don't know how they pull it off, but somehow, some way, they do, and they do it effectively. Thing number three. The other disparity between these two teams shows up in the run game. Since week ten, Denver is twelfth in yards per carry allowed despite being second in total rushing yards allowed. Buffalo struggles in this area, as we know, since week ten, twenty fifth in total rushing yards allowed, twenty ninth in yards per carry allowed at five point zero, and they weren't that great last week against the Jacks. Benefiting Buffalo is the fact that Denver has struggled to run the ball effectively. Denver twenty seventh in rushing since week ten and their twenty seventh in yards per carry average at three point eight. Buffalo since week ten second in rushing and fifth in yards per carry average at four point nine. So do you believe the Bills can gain more traction in the run game against Denver than they did last week against Jackson.
Speaker 2: It's trending that way their defense. Yes, as we've heard a lot, there's been a lot said about Denver they're a little size, they're a fast, athletic front, and you kind of get the feeling you can kind of snow plow them if you get it a round. But they've had that to deal with all season, and they're still a really good run defense, so it's not gonna be as easy as just pushing them out of the way. They they are, they have gap integrity, they set the edge of the defense extremely well. They're not just gonna you know, they're not too small to play the run, even against a big offensive line like Buffalo's. So I think the Bills will be more successful than they were a week ago. But I don't I don't see the Bills replicating what they did a year ago and running for two hundred. But if they rent like anything between one fifteen and one fifty would be awesome. They got to get one hundred out of everybody with Cook, with Josh Allen, with all the you know, with an end around whatever, they need to get over one hundred and ten or fifteen yards for it to be effective. But like I said as well, you think this is going to be a close game, and whether they're productive or not in the run game, they're still going to be handing it off late in this game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think one addition to the Denver defense that was not there last year at this time is their leading tackler, linebacker Alex Singleton, who was out last year with an ACL injury. He is their leading tackler. Finally, the strength on strength matchup in this game is going to be in the red zone. The Bills offense ranks third in the league in the red zone in terms of scoring efficiency. Just over two thirds of their red zone possessions have resulted in a touchdown this season, while the Denver defense is tops in red zone defense, allowing touchdowns at a rate of just over forty two percent. Winning down there is likely going to be the main factor in determining the outcome of this game. What do you like about Buffalo's approach down there that may yield success even against a front like this.
Speaker 2: It's their ability to run the ball. When you get down close and you can still run the ball and are still committed to it, that really puts pressure on the front because they're not gonna the dbs and the safeties. The corners have to get in on the run game down there. If you're running it effectively against a seven man or even an eight man front. They've got to do something desperate to stop it, because then you feel like you're defenseless down there when you can run the ball in the red zone. And that's why Buffalo has been so effective. James Cook, Josh, we saw it last week in Jacksonville. I mean, the quarterback sneak from the ten is you know, go down in history as one of the all time great ones. So that's a problem for defenses and it will be for Denver as well. They're gonna have to have a plan for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And look, Denver does come up with answers down there, and they force an awful lot of field goals and that's how they keep their teams their team in games when their offense is sputtering early. So even if the Bills get off to a good start, they have to keep their foot on the gas because Denver's defense will get stops, they will force a lull in your play offensively for stretches. So you've got to score whenever you can, and ideally in the end zone rather than bringing your kicker on the field to kickfield goals. Finally, the quarterbacks Josh Allen, the league's fourth leading passer in terms of rating, second and completion percentage, and second in total touchdowns. Bo Nicks had just as many touchdown passes as Allen with twenty five, but he's twenty first in passer rating this season at just under eighty eight. Both have five fourth quarter comebacks this season, but again in fourth quarter. Overall, Allen the third highest rated QB, with a completion percentage almost ten percent higher than Nicks seventy to sixty one and too fewer interceptions. Knicks twenty sixth rated quarterback in the fourth quarter, but he has brought his team back and he's often saved his best for last. Seems to play better when things are chaotic. What are your thoughts about this comparison.
Speaker 2: It's gonna get chaotic at some point in a close game like this when last team with a boy you think is going to have a chance to win it. That's why in certain times people have favorably compared Bo Knicks to Josh. Same thing with Drake May. They pull it down and they get they get some big yards and some conversions with their legs. Their ability to make that decision to make it happen is huge. Bo Knicks outside the pocket is dangerous, really dangerous, and I think his team feeds off of that. So, yeah, we've seen Josh do it his entire career. Bo Knicks has that trait as well. When things are breaking down, He's athlete enough with the arm enough to bust loose and make a play. You got to have a plan for that. Both teams will have to have a plan because both these quarterbacks are that kind of guy. Now, you can say what you want about how good bo Nicks is compared to Josh because we have a longer track record with Josh.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's only a second year, right, bow.
Speaker 2: Knicks five fourth quarter comebacks, seven overall seven comeback wins is huge for bow Knicks. That speaks a lot to what he's capable of doing. So you never feel like this game is going to be put away until it's double zeros on the Colt.
Speaker 1: There's part of me that feels like the Bills defense has had an awful lot of experience with mobile quarterbacks Drake May twice, Lamar Jackson this season and several others. I mean, it's the soup du jour in the league these days. Just about seventy five percent of the league as a starting quarterback who can get around with his legs. The Bills have very effectively employed a cage rush this season to hem in these mobile quarterbacks and keep them from maximizing yardage with their legs when the play breaks down. I'm very curious to see what the defensive approach is this week because Trevor Lawrence got out a little bit on them, and we know he's a mobile quarterback as well, but I think he only had thirty three rushing yards in the game. If you can keep bo Nicks under thirty five rushing yards in this game, i think your odds are pretty good that you're gonna come away with a positive result defensive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's Lawrence had thirty three yards rushing. He had eighteen on one play coming out of his own engine, but it was a backbreaker. It was a crusher, kept all lot a drive alive for them that was crucial in the in late in the game. So it's it's a huge aspect of the game and that I think both these quarterbacks are gonna it's gonna be on their plate to have to convert some third downs or some first downs on maybe in first and second down as well, but they got to do it with their legs. We'll see how that how that plays out.
Speaker 1: Time now for the Numbers game, where Steve will be quizzed on Bill's divisional playoff history. Let's do it. Question number one, what is Buffalo's franchise record and divisional playoff games? If you had to guess, and I may even give you the number of total divisional games?
Speaker 2: How many numbers? Total?
Speaker 1: Is sixteen divisional playoff games? It Bills history? What is their record in set games?
Speaker 2: Sixteen? I'll say twelve and four.
Speaker 1: It's not that good close. They are seven and nine in divisional games lifetime. Question number two known that because it you go to the division like if you if you don't win it, you're out for the year, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Plus, there's only the Bills have been to the AFC Championship game. What's seven times? Eight times?
Speaker 1: So let's see the the in the nineties and eighties and twice under mcdermy. So yeah, seven. What is question two? What is the highest passing yardage total in a Bill's divisional playoff game? And I will give you a hint. You were there for.
Speaker 2: This one it's got to be between three hundred and twenty five and three hundred and fifty yards.
Speaker 1: It's more really.
Speaker 2: Miami games.
Speaker 1: It is not the Miami game. It was actually a game that the Bills lost divisional playoff pits loss at Pittsburgh.
Speaker 2: Well, let's see, there was Cincinnati. There was two vision round of Cincinnati in.
Speaker 1: Twenty two, Baltimore in twenty. I said, it's a game you play.
Speaker 2: Pittsburgh in ninety five, Raiders in ninety three, Pittsburgh in ninety two, kc in ninety one, I'll say Kansas City ninety one.
Speaker 1: Nope, it was Cleveland in nineteen eighty nine. Oh yeah, four hundred and four passing yards from tillim Kelly. That was.
Speaker 2: That's one of the all time great NFL games ever and out of the Bills.
Speaker 1: Lost it thirty four to thirty. That was. That was the game.
Speaker 2: Don Beeby got dumped on his head. So that was the Ronnie Harmon drop in the corner of the end zone in the in an absolute mud pit dump of a stadium, an absolute atrocity of a gathering spot, public public gathering spot let alone, a sported venue, absolute dump, garbage bin.
Speaker 1: Municipal stadium in Cleveland, dumpster of a stadium.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that was a great, fantastic game.
Speaker 1: Fantastic game. Four hundred four passing yards for.
Speaker 2: Jim Jim Kelly against Bernie Cozar, Marty Schottenheimer against Marvel Leavy. Fantastic game. And Bill Kauer was on that staffs Shottenheimer's staff as a special team. There's a bunch of guys on that staff. What a game?
Speaker 1: Question three? What is the highest rushing yardage total for the Bills in a divisional playoff? And I will give you a hint. This is one of the more recent.
Speaker 2: Games James Cook last year.
Speaker 1: Close It is Bills versus Chiefs January twenty four four that they lost twenty seven to twenty four. Here Bills ran for one hundred and eighty two yards in that game. And where what year January twenty four so twenty three season, Yeah, January twenty fourth, Kansas City. The drop by digs at the end, Who's twenty four? Question for what Bill's player has the most receptions in divisional playoff history?
Speaker 2: Tournament?
Speaker 1: You nailed it, buddy. You want to guess how many receptions? Fourteen? That's much more than is it?
Speaker 2: He had seventeen against Cleveland. Is that ninety eight eighty nine game?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but this is total divisional playoffs. Oh so seven career divisional playoffs. Okay, he's got to have.
Speaker 2: Does he have sixty?
Speaker 1: No, not that many. He's got thirty two career receptions in seven divisional playoff games for the Bills. He is your divisional playoff game leader. Wow, that is the numbers games them thamas Bills fans get in on the action with FanDuel America's number one sportsbook. Just download the app today to play any way you want. Plus, with live betting, you'll get updated on games that have already started. Best of all, you get PAGR winnings Fast Make every moment more with FanDuel Official Sportsbook, partner of the Buffalo Bills. Time now for our one burning question. And we know Sean Payton has made jutsy and risky calls in his coaching career before, most notably the on side kicking the Super Bowl that started the second half against the Colts. That is no longer a way to surprise a team, as you know, Steve, with the new kickoff rules. But how likely is it that Peyton resorts to a high risk, high reward play in this game. If it's nip and tuck.
Speaker 2: One fake wow, fake punt, fake field goal one hundred percent, a big reverse, a kickoff, reverse, punt return reverse, it will, Yes, they or they'll they'll try and go after a punt, try and block a punt. They will.
Speaker 1: Part of his nature, right.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I think in this game, I don't think he likes this. I think he knows he's against a really good team and he's against a really good player who can really turn it on. I think he's gonna feel like, much like he did against Peyton Manning and the Colts in the Super Bowl. With the New Orleans Saints, he's got to do something and he is nothing if not courageous.
Speaker 1: That guy will do it.
Speaker 2: He's got bravado, he has got a big, brassy set of courage, and he will do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he doesn't care, because I'll tell you that is the first thing that came to mind when I thought about the coaching matchup, Like Peyton will do a high risk thing if he feels it's warranted and he feels they've even got a fifty percent chance of pulling it off.
Speaker 2: They Yes, they will spend a lot of time. He'll hit part of him. I just say he'll have three of his quality control guys or his special team's assistant pick of guys that he's got to do this. He'll say, listen, comb through their special teams, find me, where they find me, where you can do for me. Find a trick play, look for it and find it. What are they what's to take to get it done? And install it? Let's go. He'll do it. And I think it's one hundred percent it's gonna.
Speaker 1: Happen, okay.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: I tend to think it's certainly up in the seventy five percent range that will get some kind of trickery.
Speaker 2: I think it's because and I'm not saying this where he thinks he's overmatched, but I know he sees this matchup and the quarterback he's got to play against, and the defense the way it's playing, we got to do something special.
Speaker 1: He's gonna have to try to steal an extra possession too, and I think he will.
Speaker 2: I think it's an absolute certainty.
Speaker 1: Okay. Our closing figure examines year over year rematches in the postseason. This divisional playoff between the Bills and Broncos will be the twentieth playoff rematch since two thousand between teams that face each other the previous postseason. The same team has won both games in thirteen of the previous nineteen instances, and only one team since two thousand has been able to win at home the year after losing on the road one out of nineteen one.
Speaker 2: That's a crazy stat Brownie had to pull it in there for a closing out figure one of nineteen teams who has been two One out of the nineteen teams that have been in the position of the Denver Broncos since two thousand have pulled off a victory in this.
Speaker 1: Spot after losing the first one on the road the year before game. Yeah, isn't it amazing?
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 1: I was stunned.
Speaker 2: There's something in that.
Speaker 1: What's going on? I don't know, but I hope it continues, No kidding. That'll do it for this edition. Subscribe on your podcast platform of choice so you know when our next episode is out, or watch us on the YouTube channel, the Bills YouTube channel, because when you need to know about the bills, you need to check Bills by the US. For Steve Tasker, I'm Chris Brown, thanks for listening. We'll catch you next time.
Speaker 2: Everybody