Speaker 1: Hey there, folks. It is Tuesday, September the sixteenth, and the suspects when the assassination of Charlie Kirk made his first court appearance today and who we got a bunch of new, interesting, intriguing, and even shocking details about this case today. And with that, welcome to this episode of Amy. And TJ wrote the the details just keep on coming. I'll ask you right now. We'll get into all of it. But is there something that jumped out at you? The hearing went fifteen minutes, and it was virtual. We should say he was not in the physical court. But what jumped out.
Speaker 2: At you today? The text exchanges between Tyler and his they keep calling him his roommate, which maybe they don't know what word to use, but they were in a romantic relationship, so normally you would say boyfriend or girlfriend. It just try out that his significant other is a biological male who was transitioning into a female.
Speaker 3: And I think it's because.
Speaker 2: They don't know what how to what label to give this significant other. They're calling him a roommate, which I think is interesting because if you hear this text exchange, and it's wild, but he calls him my love, my love, and you see this softer human side of a man who now appears to be a monster given what he did, what he planned to do. You really like I have never seen or at least witnessed so much insight into a killer's mind.
Speaker 3: Within days of the actual murder.
Speaker 2: The text exchanges that we got to actually good point hear and see today for me were ja DrAk.
Speaker 1: You're right, he gets to talk to someone he trusted who was very intimate and close to him, and he never thought anybody would hear this before get any more insight than that.
Speaker 2: Yes, And in the text exchange, he told his I'm gonna say significant other his partner to delete it. He was like, delete this, and then I'm sorry, and then he said, don't show this to anyone. Get a lawyer, plead the fifth like, don't tell anyone what I just told you.
Speaker 1: And your point led to is part of the reason why he's facing a particular charge. So let's get you updated here. Yes, Tyler Robinson, the twenty two year old suspecting the killing of Charlie Kirk, did make his first court appearance today. It was a virtual court appearance. He did not enter a plea. This was for them to determine whether or not he would have an attorney, what his representation would be if he was able to afford one he is not, has been determined. So now they're going to have a court appointed lawyer for him. Also a big point the court was making the judge at the time, again, this was all virtual, kind of bizarre. He's sitting in there in a room by himself, in a virtual box on a screen like a zoom that we've all been in, and here he is in a flag jacket, sleeveless, white concrete wall. I think were the only words he said. I think was his name During the hearing, he asked to state your name, and that was it. But he did not show an ounce of emotion of anything the entire time when he had to hear. We're going to seek the death penalty against you. That's the other big highlight. They are going to seek the death penalty. Seven charges against him. A protective order for Erica. Kirk will get into that and the new details robes. He turned himself into his parents, in with his family, a family friend and his parents helped turn him in. They implied that he was going to kill himself. He had planned this shooting for about a week. These are just some of the highlights and the text exchanges and robes. We are going to read back and forth the full text exchange between him and his roommate. On the part of the roommate, a lot of people are expressing confusion, like why is the roommate seemingly off the hook with authorities right now? Like there seemed to be more. They came out pretty quickly and said we don't think anybody was a part of it, and that they weren't seeking any charges. Again, nobody else was under investigation, and a lot of people took issue or were a little perplexed.
Speaker 3: Well, look, I don't know.
Speaker 2: We'll let you, the listener, decide what you think when we read you these text exchanges. But my takeaway was I was imagining what would I do? What would you do if the person you loved suddenly dropped this bomb, this unthinkable bomb on you? And you can even see in the text he has all these question marks and exclamation points like are you serious?
Speaker 3: Are you joking? It seemed so.
Speaker 2: Out of character, obviously because he was thrown and didn't believe Tyler when he was telling him what he did. He actually thought, Hey, I thought, though they caught someone else, it isn't you, right, I mean, so I'm trying to give him some grace to say, you need a beat sometimes to actually like process the fact that this person you're in a relationship with, this person you love, is now telling you that they did some horrific, heinous thing. You know, it's a tough thing to process. So I don't know when he finally talked to police. I don't know when he finally showed them everything, but he certainly is cooperating. He's certainly giving them all the evidence they need to convict this guy for sure.
Speaker 3: So look, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Does he need to be punished because he took a beat because he maybe I don't know how long it took for him to come forward and to show what he had, the evidence he had, but he had a lot of it and he has given it up, And so I just think we shouldn't be so quick to pounce.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm talking about that. Like trained and career FBI and law folks were on TV saying, well, you would never come out and say we're not looking for anybody. You wouldn't declare that you wouldn't know that already. There's no way. Now people have their criticism of the investigation and how it's been handled by Cash Bettel. We're not gonna go.
Speaker 3: That's a whole other podcast.
Speaker 1: It is what a day that was for him as well. But you remember we both said, wait a minute, what is that about when the first detail, when the early detail said he has a roommate who is a male transitioning to female, and we are investigating what role that might have could have played in this killing. We heard the governor say that on Sunday, and we.
Speaker 3: All equate, Wait, what's going on?
Speaker 1: So it is it possible that his relationship or some way I guess they're suggesting that is that what quote unquote radicalized him.
Speaker 2: Well, it's it did seem as though from what we've heard his mom talk about the fact that he became more political, that he became more pro gay, pro trans rights, that that could have played a role. I mean, that is a jump that I don't think is out of turn. I think that that is a logical progression potentially as to where his mind was.
Speaker 3: We still don't have a motive, but just a little bit.
Speaker 2: Of insight we heard from his mom or reportedly that his mom told investigators that, yes, he had really been talking more and more about gay rights about trans rights.
Speaker 3: So could that have played a role. It seems like it could have.
Speaker 1: So here is the text exchange. This is the full text exchange that they did release today. The prosecutors in this case, they had a press conference about an hour or so before the actual hearing to just update everybody and put out some more information. Now, I which one you want to take here ropes? We're just going to do the back end forth.
Speaker 2: Well that's fine. I can be Robinson, you can be roommate, all right.
Speaker 1: You start at the top there would drop what you're doing right at the top, and then I'll pick up from there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So Tyler Robinson's roommate received a text message from him which said, drop what you were doing, look under my keyboard.
Speaker 1: So after that, apparently the roommate did look under the keyboard and found a note. In that note allegedly said I had the opportunity to take out Charlie Kirk and I'm going to take it now. The roommate, according to authorities, did read that note and after reading the note text it back to Robinson. Saying, what you're joking right? And that had a bunch of question.
Speaker 2: Marks, And I think that was really interesting, all the question marks, just because.
Speaker 3: That's how young.
Speaker 2: You're, right, I write like that, but a lot of young folks write like that, just really feigning kind of disdain or like, wait.
Speaker 1: What you're emphasizing?
Speaker 3: Joke? This is?
Speaker 2: Are you actually out of your mind kidding me? How many question marks is that? I can't even count?
Speaker 3: Like ten?
Speaker 2: At least at least I was gonna say a dozen. Maybe what you're joking right? Robinson texts, I am still okay, my love, but am stuck in orum for a little while longer yet shouldn't be long until I can come home. But I got to grab my rifle still. To be honest, I had hoped to keep this secret till I died of old age.
Speaker 3: I am sorry to involve you.
Speaker 1: The roommate responds, you weren't the one who did it right with four question marks at the end.
Speaker 3: Robinson replies, I am, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: The roommate says to that, I thought they caught the person.
Speaker 2: Robinson says, no, they grabbed some crazy old dude, then interrogated someone in similar clothing I had planned to grab my rifle from my drop point shortly after, but most of that side of town got locked down. It's quiet, almost enough to get out, but there's one vehicle linger.
Speaker 1: Then the roommate questions why, and I guess after Robinson was kind of describing trying to get out. He was describing like creeping around, trying to find a way out. The roommate then goes back to asking like es simply.
Speaker 3: Why, right, and then Robinson has to qualify and says, why did I do it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Is the response, and the roommate just simply said yeah. And again we have these details they're giving. They released every back and forth.
Speaker 2: This is fascinating, and so yes, we say we don't know motive. Here's the motive people right here, his lover, his partner, his significant other. His roommate asks him why, and this is what Robinson says. I had enough of his hatred. Some hate can't be negotiated out. If I am able to grab my rifle unseen, I will have left no evidence going to attempt to retrieve it again, and hopefully they have moved on. I haven't seen anything about them finding it. So he's monitoring the news in real time as he's trying to get the evidence.
Speaker 1: And get out defense attorney's up against this business. One wild the roommate to that I guess confession and motive via text. Allegedly, the roommate responds, how long have you been planning this?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 2: I mean we are really getting fascinating information here, Robinson replies, a bit over a week.
Speaker 3: I believe I can get close to it, but there's a squad car parked right by it.
Speaker 2: I think they already swept that spot, but I don't want to chance it. He then says, I'm wishing I had circled back and grabbed it as soon as I got to my vehicle. I'm worried what my old man would do if I didn't bring back Grandpa's rifle. I don't know if it had a serial number, but it wouldn't trace to me.
Speaker 3: I worry about Prince.
Speaker 2: I had to leave it in a bush where I changed outfits, didn't have the ability or time to bring it with I might have to abandon it and hope they don't find prints. How the f will I explain losing it to my old man.
Speaker 3: Only thing I.
Speaker 2: Left was the rifle wrapped in a towel. Remember how I was engraving bullets. F The FN messages are mostly a big meme. If I see notices bulge UWU on Fox News, I might have a stroke. All Right, I'm gonna have to leave it. That really effing sucks.
Speaker 3: Judging from today, I'd say Grandpa's gun does just fine. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think that was a two thousand dollars scope.
Speaker 3: Can we stop for just this moment? This was so.
Speaker 2: Bizarre and fascinating and creepy all at the same time. He's worried about his dad being upset about his grandpa's rifle, he's excited about Fox News talking about his engraved bullets.
Speaker 3: I mean joke, this is crazy.
Speaker 1: It was a joke to him. He sounded like a young person who was caught up in in what this is. He but robes to your point, so many things we wondered about and questioned. He's giving us an answer and a play by play for everything. And if these are actually and sane, we have no reason to think they're not accurate. But he is giving a bizarre play by play. I don't know how you start with a defense.
Speaker 2: This is mind blowing. That we're getting this kind of insight.
Speaker 3: And this is.
Speaker 2: Thankfully because of his roommate, his partner, that he gave this and turned this over. I mean, I'm sure they would have found it. I mean, who texts this?
Speaker 3: Also, like, what are you you know?
Speaker 2: Somebody just committed a pre planned murder? Why in God's name would you detail everything you did, why you did it, how you were doing it, what you were thinking in real time as you were doing it. This like this, I've never seen anything like this. So to that point, the next thing Tyler Robinson texts to his roommate is delete this exchange.
Speaker 3: Of course he did not.
Speaker 2: Then Robinson goes on to just say this, my dad wants photos of the rifle.
Speaker 3: He says, Grandpa wants to know who has what.
Speaker 2: The Feds released a photo of the rifle and it is very unique. He's calling me right now, not answering.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Then he says this, since Trump got into office, my dad has been pretty die hard.
Speaker 3: Maga.
Speaker 2: Then the next text, I'm going to turn myself in willingly. One of my neighbors here is a deputy for the sheriff. Then he texts again, you are all I worry about.
Speaker 1: Love and This is interesting. The last one that was released from the roommate after that, saying, I'm much more worried about you.
Speaker 3: But that's all he said. I mean, imagine processing everything that he just said to him. That had to be I can't even.
Speaker 2: Imagine what the word is to describe what that would have been like. But then Robinson, this is his final text to his roommate, to his partner. Don't talk to the media. Please, don't take any interviews or make any comments. If police ask you questions, ask for a lawyer, and stay silent. Don't take any interviews or make any comments. If police ask you questions, ask for a lawyer, and stay silent. So he's just repeating himself, just begging now at this point for him not to come forward and to not say what he knows.
Speaker 1: It's because he's twenty eighty two. He just shot and executed a man in front of the world, and he's worried about what his dad and grandpa are gonna be upset about the gun like he sounds like that's very much a kid's mindset. It's almost like he doesn't understand the gravity of what he just did.
Speaker 2: I kind of feel like that too. And it was just more like, hey, I did what I had to do, and now I've just got to just got to clean up a few things. And I wanted to keep this with me till I'm old. But sorry to involve you not recognizing what you say we had just done.
Speaker 1: You say we become desensitized so often to things because we hear the same speech, or we see so much violence. He seems to have no that it doesn't register at all, that the loss of human life and that he took it. I can imagine taking a human life life and not having a profound and immediate impact on me and just to go about texting and being normal. And this is incredible. But we do want to tell you. Stay here, we'll tell you exactly what the charges are against him, why the judge is in particular concerned about the public defender that the defendant is going to get, and why Erica Kirk's name came up today in the hearing. We continue now. The suspect and the charge the Kirk assassination, made his first court appearance today just a matter of hours ago. In romes we did here. There are not one, not two, nine three, There are seven counts against him, and they talk about these aggravating factors. But the first one, I guess is the big one, right, aggravated murder, and this is the one that possibly comes with a death penalty. He's convicted on this one fell only discharge of a firearm, obstruction of justice, a couple of counts of that, witnessed tampering a couple of counts of that, and also commission of a violent offense in the presence of a child. They add these aggravating factors which make essentially your sentencing potential worse. But the aggravating factors include the defendant targeting Kirk because of his political expression and also committing an act like this in the presence of a child, in the presence of a miner who you knew would witness the homicide. So those are aggravating factors. But he's facing seven counts. He's absolutely facing life in prison. But Robes he is facing. We knew this because ahead of time, because the governor was saying it, but they did it a short time before the hearing. They made it official that they're going after the death building.
Speaker 2: Oh, they made it clear from the onset, and that was when we heard that his family ended up turning him in and helping him turn himself in. I was really shaken thinking about it from the parent's perspective of knowing when they turned their son in, they knew he would most certainly be facing the death penalty, and if they believed he did it, they would literally be handing their son over to die, and just imagining what that would be like as a parent, regardless of just how heinous the crime was that your son committed, just to know you still love your son, it doesn't matter what he did, and to imagine being in their position, it just.
Speaker 3: It blew my mind.
Speaker 2: So yes, the fact that they're seeking the death penalty is no surprise. They made that clear from the on set and.
Speaker 1: Even in that moment where the judge did tell him that they said, we're seeking the death penalty. I think the prosecutor said it. There was no reaction from him. There was just no I mean, I don't expecting to break down and crying, but he just almost didn't seem like he was there. I've seen people just like there's nothing in people's eyes before. I didn't see that. I just saw someone who didn't, I don't know, didn't get it. I don't know what I was expecting. What are you supposed to get it? I'm told he's a monster and all these things, But I'm so I'm looking trying to see something there.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I think it is? I think he feels justified, and so yes.
Speaker 1: A man's the only situation to where he did something.
Speaker 2: I think he feels justified, and I think that's how he is at peace, because he knew this was a possible, if not likely, outcome, that he'd be caught, that he'd be sentenced to death, and he feels as though he might be a martyr for the cause, a martyr for the freedom of being gay, the freedom of being trans, the freedom of all of those things that we all want, but that maybe and certainly some groups feel oppressed by this administration. And so he feels like he took a stand for what he believes and that he was willing to die for it.
Speaker 3: That is the expression I saw.
Speaker 1: Damn, that's a possibility. Well, the judge did determine he he doesn't have the money to afford attorney, so yes, they're going to assign one to him. But Robes the judge. There was a representative there from the state who was saying, yeah, we're looking for somebody for him, and the judge was specific and got into some very technical legales into the weeds, but the judge was essentially arguing, whoever you give him needs to have a certain type of experience because this is a death penalty case and you don't want to end up in a position to where you can appeal later because he didn't have adequate representation.
Speaker 2: But what about you know what I was thinking of, who is the public defender who's defending him and all vitriol against Charlie Kirk, but the people who are now upset obviously that he's been killed. Does that public defender worry about his own safety? Does he need a security detail?
Speaker 3: Because the rhetoric has just blown up, as we've talked about on both sides.
Speaker 2: So I just I wonder how safe you would feel representing a man who at least half the country hates, but probably more than that. And you're in a position where there's incoming you say, hates, but.
Speaker 1: There man, there's a segment of the population that would take a shot at this guy if they had a chance, And that's just there should be nobody. But that's just not how it works, but it just in the climate we're in. Uh yeah, yeah he was. He was in a flag jacket today and there was a vest sitting there, but again it was virtual. The next hearing of September twenty ninth, we're told that one is going to be virtual as well. The prosecutor actually jumped in and I said, hey, wait a second, is this going to be a WebEx thing? We got to show up and the judge says it'll be online again.
Speaker 3: Why was he in a flat jacket?
Speaker 1: So no, I don't know what his movements were going in and out, but you wouldn't need one obviously if you're inside. But he must have had to been transferred in some way to where he was outdoors and felt his nice to be protected.
Speaker 2: Obviously saw him and I was thinking, like, was that It almost seemed like it was for show, because I was like, he obviously doesn't need one. I wouldn't think in front of a computer with armed guards around him anyway.
Speaker 3: I just thought that was strange.
Speaker 1: I didn't take that. I didn't look that up anywhere. I didn't take that as anything other than a flat jacket. He could have been in a protective vest that he was wearing. So the only time they would put somebody in that is if they know somebody in the public.
Speaker 3: But it's just weird.
Speaker 2: If you knew the world was watching, why you wouldn't have him take it off when he was sitting down.
Speaker 3: It just, I don't know, it felt dramatic. Oh yeah, Oh, I.
Speaker 1: See the point you're kind of making. You kind of add to the whole. I guess violent imagery, the warlike imagery here he is sitting there.
Speaker 3: I mean, it was a choice right to leave the flack jacket on.
Speaker 1: I really don't know. I hadn't thought about it in that regard to the way you put it. But they The judge also he did grant a protective order on behalf of Erica Kirk. He didn't get into the details, but I could assume just want to make sure that the defendant isn't able to contact or harass or do anything to her in anyway, So I thought. The judge on a couple of moments he thanked Robinson, thank you for being here.
Speaker 3: I thought that was weird. And at the end he said that was really weird.
Speaker 1: When he was talking about the next hearing, he said, I invite you to join us at that.
Speaker 3: Strange the actual Why was he being so polite?
Speaker 1: I mean, that's fine.
Speaker 3: I guess it was weird. It threw me too. It threw me as well.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's just his way he goes about. But I invite you to join, you don't. He's not gonna have a choice of a.
Speaker 2: May being an inmate who just murdered someone for being present?
Speaker 1: Where is what exact?
Speaker 2: No, I read the same thing you saw it, and I I was like, did I just read that correctly?
Speaker 3: I just thought it is weird choice, It's strange, But.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's the way this judge goes about things. But a couple of last things here robes that I thought were significant that jumped out today. Obviously still no motive.
Speaker 3: Technically, we did read the we did read the text.
Speaker 1: They keep saying th us not working on a motive, But they say no, but you remember when we saw him on the surveillance video, we said, oh, my goodness, looked like somebody was limping because he jumped off the building. They have a different theory for why he might have been limping. They believe he was hiding the long gun at times in some of the video down the pan Wow leg, wow, that gait. Wow.
Speaker 2: They think possibly, yes, it did look like hemp clearly. Now if I think about a rifle being there and you not being able to bend your leg, they think.
Speaker 1: That's what happened. Also said, his mom and his dad immediately recognize him from the photo. We find that out today. They I mean, you know your child? You said that, you remember you said I couldn't tell who that is. I said, but if that were you, I know you, and I would.
Speaker 3: You know your child?
Speaker 1: They immediately knew who he was. They talked, both of greed. Yep, that's our kid that moment.
Speaker 2: It's got to be awful like worse and worse like almost that is worst case scenario. I feel like, not only did your son murder someone, but now you know that they're going to die, Like it's like a it's a double whammy that I can't even imagine.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's most tragic, I guess for the children of Charlie Kurk, course, his wife and his immediate family and his political family. But there are so many tragedies all over this story. There are so many tragedies involved, and right now we look, we'll talk about the hearings later. But we watch some hearings today, some congressional hearings seeing cash Bettel. You're terrified about where we are and where we're going. That seeing this dude get.
Speaker 2: Shot has now ignited, But it didn't calm us.
Speaker 1: No, are we being kinder to each other and go gotta do better?
Speaker 3: A storm that is now just brewing, I fear.
Speaker 1: So please close us out for us. I got Really, we have had a long day. It is exhausting. We watch the hearings and then watching a lot of this and hearing some of the new details. It's just heavy ropes.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 2: And we said this a lot of times when we've been talking about the story in particular. If there is any silver lining, if there's any takeaway, it's just for us all to be just more accepting. And it doesn't matter what side of the aisle you're on, because you can't think that, you can't think that you're like someone. Everyone can't be wrong. Someone has to be willing to just accept the.
Speaker 3: Fact that we can agree to disagree. But I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm hoping that that can one day be possible. And so just yes, for anyone in your life that you might not agree with completely.
Speaker 3: If you can just show them some grace, show them some love, I think that's the best takeaway we.
Speaker 2: Can have from today and from what has happened.
Speaker 3: So with that, thank you for joining us, thank you for listening to us. I maybe roboch alongside TJ. Holmes. We'll talk to you very soon.