Speaker 1: Of the law and order franchises, SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies.
Speaker 3: These episodes are based on. These are our stories, Done.
Speaker 2: Done, Welcome. It's That's Messed Up an SVU podcast.
Speaker 1: I am Lisa and I am Kara, And you know what we do, guys.
Speaker 3: We talk about Law and Order SVU. We talk about a true crime.
Speaker 1: It's based on We normally interview a guest, but right now we are suspending guests while the sag Aftra and WGA strikes kind of work themselves out. We really hope that they will be resolved soon so we can keep bringing you dazzling conversations with celebs, because we do love talking to people. But for now, we're just going to do the other parts of our podcast that you enjoy. But before that, I'm going to take a minute to continue to plug our live tour. We are kicking it off in about ten days. We're gonna be in DC and then we're gonna be in Atlanta, Raleigh, Charlotte. We move on after that to a bunch of other cities. Buffalo, come see us. That's a new city. We've never gone to Toronto. We've never been to you.
Speaker 3: Salt Lake. We've never been to you Milwaukee.
Speaker 1: We're coming to all kinds of new cities as well as the old standbys like Boston, New York, Boston.
Speaker 3: We are doing Wilburg.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was about to say, not just Boston, it's the motherfucking wilbur fucking Wilburg.
Speaker 3: That's the biggest venue we've ever done.
Speaker 1: We need you guys to come out, bring your bearded husbands, bring your friends who have seen Law and Order but never watched our podcast. I promise they will have a good time. We put on a great show, guys, and it's that's messed up. Live dot com has all the ticket links, all the dates, all the cities, all the information you could possibly need.
Speaker 2: And I am on a solo tour as well. And my birthdays in two days, so I am anticipating some messages.
Speaker 3: Guys. Am I gonna get a little love or what?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: Let's flood the glitter cheese ig with some love babies.
Speaker 3: I want to see it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna be thirty six, so crazy.
Speaker 1: So crazy. I remember thirty six like it was a few years ago.
Speaker 2: And it was it's a good luck Jewish number.
Speaker 3: Oh is it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: It's divisible by you know, eighteen is like a special jew number. Okay, and anything divisible by eighteen ooh, it's fun. So yeah, it says at weddings moments was when making honorary donations, Jews often give gifts of money in multiples of eighteen, symbolically giving the recipient the gift of life or luck.
Speaker 3: So interesting, and this is gonna be a lucky, a lucky year for you. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then it says, so make a donation on a refriend and then to wish them along life by multiplying by eighteen.
Speaker 3: So huh, Well, I'm about jee. I don't know any of that.
Speaker 1: That's from the JCC in Milwaukee. JCC and Milwaukee come see us. We're coming through.
Speaker 2: Maybe I will stop by a lot of time at the JCC.
Speaker 3: Me and my dad will play racketball. I love.
Speaker 2: I want to get back into it. I mean, I want to get back into any physical activity.
Speaker 1: But are you interested in the craze that's sweeping the name show pickleball?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: No, you know, sometimes I'm a follower and I'm basic, and sometimes I'm just like, if everyone likes it, I'm not getting into it.
Speaker 3: And that's that.
Speaker 2: And I just don't see myself getting into pickleball.
Speaker 3: But what fun to me?
Speaker 1: It looks like easy tennis, Like I don't know why I'd rather play tennis, Like I'd rather play tennis.
Speaker 3: The racket is so hard to hold in tennis. Not for me.
Speaker 2: But let's see if there's racketball places, maybe we would do that.
Speaker 1: Racketball is racketball different from squash?
Speaker 2: Obviously it's it's two different names. But I have no idea. I know, I don't know that differences. What's the difference between rocketball and squash? Both of the balls are hollow and rubber rubber. However, people also asked, I'm at Google and it says people also ask does anybody play racquetball anymore?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: It says, can you play a racquetball on a squash court?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: The game is played on a standard squash court, but unlike squash, you play with a bigger and bouncier blue ball. As the racket has a larger head and a shorter handle. It is easy to manipulate if you haven't played any rackets sports before. Racketball is a great way to start. Okay, yeah, I love racketball.
Speaker 1: It just looks so much like squash because of the clear box that you play in.
Speaker 3: But yeah I can see. Yeah, I played in college too.
Speaker 2: Oh really Yeah, for some some wild reason, I was State had racquetball courts and I played.
Speaker 3: Yeah, amazing, Yeah, it was quite exciting.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, it's so I really feel like my brain is Debbie Downer, Like my brain immediately went to like, fuck, I wish everyone had schools with fun stuff, even though that's college and you pay for it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, no I need to.
Speaker 1: I'm like, we're so obviously we're in the time machine as usual, but we're like in super time machine right now because we're banking a few episodes so we can go on a little vac and I so, as of right now, we'll be back from our vacation and I will allegedly be kick starting a more physical uh some more physical activity in my life. That's what my goal is for when I get back from my trip.
Speaker 3: Well, let's do it together. Let's play some I bought.
Speaker 2: I would also go to boxing with you, I know, but I just feel like I'm so out of shape that boxing is so intent that I would throw up, like cause I've been to lack of fitness, Like I would go all the time when I was like more physically active, and it is it's hard. It's like yeah, camp and boxing, and it's just a little intimidating when I'm like I can't even go up the stairs at the moment, I.
Speaker 3: Think I'll start Tybo.
Speaker 2: Let's do it, like I would start with Tybo in my like now that I have my place clean again, like I could do Tybo some Tybo baby. I do love it. I do love Tybo. I am a big fan.
Speaker 3: I've never done it.
Speaker 2: Oh the YouTube, it's really I love Billy Blanks, I love the workouts. I really hopefully he's not a molester. You know, it's hard to know you.
Speaker 1: Can't love anybody. You can't love anybody. It's really difficult. And then even the people that I think were lovable icons like Pee Herman who just passed away, like was busted masturbating in an adult theater.
Speaker 3: And it's like he's a pedophile.
Speaker 1: So it's like everyone's going after the wrong people for being perverts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so say it's Tybo advanced and there's like one through twelve. I just I love it. Fifty minute advanced workout. This is the best one. Am I going to work out today?
Speaker 3: Do it?
Speaker 2: The YouTube is on. This is a really wild intro. It's just me googling things and iologize you guys deserve a more narrative, journalistic, fun intro.
Speaker 3: But I mean should I tell?
Speaker 1: I'm like, what's going on? We went and got our nails done yesterday? Together, we went and picked up Oscar. Oscar said hi, Lisa and gave you a high five. I'm trying to think what's been going on? Even, like what are what do we have going on?
Speaker 2: It just feels like, I know, even when people are like, how's life, I'm like, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Good and bad? Like what is life? Some things are amazing, some things are terrible. We keep it moving.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, it's true. Like what everybody's like, how is it going? I'm like, I don't know. The former president's been indicted three times, but it seems like everything else is a lot of other things are going.
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't know, you know what, I'm jealous.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, as of this taping, we are possibly trying to procure Beyonce tickets you may be able to get them. I'm in it for an extra if I if there happens to be an extra. We are in the midst of about to start the Tailor Weekend here in LA where apparently she's doing I think five or six shows in LA and it's supposed to bring in like one hundred and fifty million dollars in income for LA in those like six days. It's a wild concert summer. Oprah's at Beyonce saying that Beyonce is God. Every time I'm on my Instagram, I'm just seeing Beyonce concert footage and it looks so fucking awesome and I'm so jealous.
Speaker 2: It does, and that's what got me wanting to go to Goggle last summer, which was like all the Insta footage, I go, oh, I need to see this show, and it was incredible.
Speaker 3: And that's what I'm feeling now. A friend reached out.
Speaker 2: He does have a gift, but like the difference between getting two tickets and three tickets is huge, Like yeah, that it kind of is so hard, But I also A'm not willing to spend a thousand, Like I'm not, no, no, no, I would do.
Speaker 3: A couple hundred maybe three, But like, yeah, I can't. I can't really.
Speaker 2: Gonna try to be the sweeper. I'm gonna try to take all the tickets that people like day of people need to get rid of, you know, the resale didn't work and I'm on them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but in my mom group, people are trying to sell these tailor tickets for like twenty five hundred dollars each. It's so I don't understand why this cannot be capped. Why can't we make just tickets non transferable, like you have to have your ID with you.
Speaker 3: That's not that's is that crazy?
Speaker 2: It is because I mean I think it's wrong to buy tickets with just the idea of reselling, But like why if like big companies are doing it, why can't an individual do it?
Speaker 1: But like what if you can't if they're using software to like cut other people off from getting a chance. It's like if you buy two tickets and you're like, oh, you know what, I could.
Speaker 3: Sell these for so much and make money. I don't begrudge you that.
Speaker 1: But if you're like a scalt a professional scalper that has like software that can cut other people, and you can go grab up all these tickets and then sell them. That is a little bit more annoying to me.
Speaker 2: Well, now Ticketmaster and all the sites they're also down with it because they have their own resale capability. Yeah, so now it's like they're not even going to try to stop it. They don't care. Nobody cares. Easy, it's just it is gross. But like, for to not transfer is tough because for me, it's like I had tickets to Miley once and then my favorite comic asked me to open for him and I had to give my tickets away. Yeah, but I just gave them to someone I didn't sell that, Like, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Oh, by the way, we're supposed to go to Madonna in September. Has it been officially canceled?
Speaker 2: Well, it's for sure rescheduled, and if they don't reschedule within sixty days, we're eligible for a refund.
Speaker 3: But not yet.
Speaker 2: And I kind of just want the time to really because I don't trust her anymore.
Speaker 3: Like I'm done.
Speaker 2: I don't think she's gonna do it. I think she's lying. I don't think she has an infection. I think she is not ready for the door. Really, that is what I think.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have to go cancel the hotel I reserved for us. Oh, it's for sure not happening when we Yeah, yeah, we just haven't talked about it yet.
Speaker 3: So I was like, Oh, I'm so bummed. That was gonna be so fun. I know it's really annoying.
Speaker 2: It's definitely annoying, but listen, let's at this episode. Our episode's not annoying. This intro might have been.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don intro might be all over the place, but we've got a great episode for you. This is truly one of the best episodes of SVU. I think ever, this is like a classic. People have been asking for it since the beginning, so let's give it to them.
Speaker 2: Okay, today we are doing Totem. That's season twelve, episode twenty.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: This is like getting very close to the end of Maloney damn.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it opens up on backpacked teen girls running through the streets of New York City and they're like, oh my god, hurry, he's gonna catch us. And they duck under a couch being carried on the sidewalk, which is like a lot of high jinks, I would say, some little comedy, and they check like a pink tech object and they start talking about pirates in the flag and we see they are playing a game. They are not being chased by a pedophile, So huge news.
Speaker 1: Well, this is one of like many episodes where people are doing like geocashing as like a way of finding a body, like.
Speaker 3: This happens like all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or it's like the fake out with horror movies being filmed. You know, it's a fake out cat Yeah. And then one of the girls trips over some luggage on the sidewalk and their kids they're like, oh my.
Speaker 3: God, open it. It's it been open.
Speaker 2: Uh oh, there is a body in the suitcase. So we immediately get Finn and Benson on the scene, and Benson looks incredible this city. I am like blown away. She always looks good. But it's an all black outfit. It's tight, and the badge is on her hip, which is like my favorite way to place a badge. They think it's a kid named Marnie because Finn says no other kids were reported missing, but that seems impossible that only one kid is missing at a time, Like, I don't get that. But Melinda's on the case as well. She's in a brown beanie kneeled over the body, and they check the photo of Marnie to the body and it is Marnie, who is a blonde young girl. And then a blonde mom runs and is side and saying no, no, no, no, and she's crying into Finn's arms and she can barely breathe through her tears.
Speaker 3: And I couldn't told the crowd to come there.
Speaker 1: Who told the mom, Oh, they found a suitcase, it might be your daughter, Like meet me at the morgue, Like, why are we talking to them having the mom come up on the streets.
Speaker 3: That's true. I was in my head.
Speaker 2: I thought it was like, just like, she's in the neighborhood and the kid has been missing. Yeah, so maybe she heard something and the emotion yeah ran maybe. So we're back from the credits and we have Benson doing a press conference with a ton of media crowded around. She explains how Marnie disappeared on her way home from school and then the sad news that the body was found, and begging the public to contact sv with any information. Finn meets her to continue doing the real work, and the church where the bag was found in front has been very helpful and there's no evidence of a crime in there, but patrols are going to canvas and like, you know, check out the church. Anyways, Maloney meets up with them and surveillance from the park district has a bird's eye view footage of the church. Benson gets a ring to her phone and walks away. Maloney and Finn watched the footage and they see the Duffel around two pm. And now it's like, okay, let's rewind it. Yes, a truck is fucking blocking the camera and sadly the person did the drop in between one for five and two while the truck was blocking the camera. Finn is gonna track down the driver of the truck and maybe they saw something. Benson reveals the call she got was from Melinda. She wants them all to meet with Bete Wong at the morgue aka George Wang. Okay, FBI extraordinaire. And we go to the morgue and we see a tiny dead child and it's a I don't need to see this. It's like she's on a neck head holding thing. It's clearly a dead kid. I don't I don't know. Yeah. Melinda also has bad news that the killer is a sexual predator, upsetting evidence evidence of rape, but no fluids, hairs or skin cells or lube. So she thinks someone used a foreign smooth object and Maloney's like, fuck, So this guy's dick didn't work. He had to use an object, and he like spits on the morgue floor and discuss and Melinda's like, stop spitting on the floor.
Speaker 3: JK, that didn't happen.
Speaker 2: It didn't happen, but he was disgusted and anyways, so the death is traumatic asphyxia, so she was suck suffocated but with what And then Jeremy Irons pops out of nowhere and he's got something to say even before hello. He goes the pillow her head was resting on, and Benson knowingly is like, oh, hey, what's up.
Speaker 3: You know they have history.
Speaker 2: His name is doctor Jackson, and we got to talk about doctor Jackson aka Jeremy Irons. We can't like skip over this, you know, man with an accent with a wild entrance. He was in the episode Mask from the same season, but episode thirteen, so seven episodes before this, where him and his daughter had a fucked up relationship because he thought he was drunk and raped his daughter, but actually he just like fucked her friend consensually, but also his daughter does.
Speaker 3: Okay, anyways, what.
Speaker 1: Are you What do you think of Jeremy irons from when you see him?
Speaker 2: Like, well, yeah, so you know he the IMDb is robust. I would say three digits, three digits. He has an Oscar Emmy and a Tony So I'm like, baby, go dorerate a book, Let's get you a Grammy.
Speaker 3: What the yeah?
Speaker 2: But he also what's funny is he has a serbian vibe like that basketball player I've been into. He's quoted he's like, I work to live. I don't live to work. I'm not like al Pacino. And that was like a quote in the IMDb. And al Pacino obviously makes me think of our former guest Beverly D'Angelo putting her career on hold to raise his twins, because, as she said, what I'm gonna tell al Pacino to stop?
Speaker 3: I fucking love Beverly D'Angelo.
Speaker 2: He is famously scar from the Lion King, so I would say that is huge.
Speaker 3: But to me, since you asked, he's man in the Iron mask.
Speaker 2: That was huge for me because it was like the first movie post Titanic for Leonardo DiCaprio, and I remember rushing to the movie theater to see it and I would watch it all the time, and I loved like the ending was twist, like I loved a man in the iron mask. So he that's what he is for me. Okay, are you going to answer your question too? Yeah, I think it's for me. It's scar also.
Speaker 1: But I also watched Reversal of Fortune when I was like way too young about Sonny and Klaus van Bulou with he's in it with Glenn.
Speaker 3: Close and he like what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: I think he kills his wife and it's like they're like socialites.
Speaker 2: It's like a very famous real story. Is there an SVU episode based on the crime? Maybe we can count there? Fuck and should be.
Speaker 1: But yeah, she was Sonny van Bulo and he was convicted in nineteen ninety two of a nineteen eighty two of attempting to murder her by insulin overdose, but the conviction was overturned on appeal. And I just remember, like my family would always do like, oh yes, Sonny never liked like and it's just like this Jeremy iron voice that he always does, like if our mom made us go somewhere.
Speaker 3: We'd be like Sonny never.
Speaker 1: Liked doing a homework like we would always do Jeremy Iron's voice. So that's a weird movie that I know him from. But I'm sure I know him from like a ton of other shit. I've never seen man in the Iron Mask though, so oh really put that on the old list. Anyway, he should fucking narrate a book. I would love to listen to a book narrated by him. He has a cool voice, you know, oh yeah, thriller.
Speaker 2: And to be honest, he I don't love his care I don't need him in SVU.
Speaker 3: Is that bad? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, I hope Jeremy doesn't listen to this.
Speaker 1: No, it's good that they just gave him this like extra one and then they were out. I'm sure they were like, we can't turn down like another chance of Jeremy Irons because that's a pretty big name. But I don't think we needed to, like, you know, incorporate him into the lore forever.
Speaker 3: But even the story with his daughter is like weird.
Speaker 2: You know, it's foul mouth, foul mouth whateverth fowlmuth cape cod.
Speaker 3: I've been there.
Speaker 2: Oh he was Also in the Simpsons season twelve, he was a bar rag.
Speaker 3: That's hilarious.
Speaker 2: I know in the episode Moe goes from Rags to Riches, which is a very Warren Light style title.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's how you know it's season seventeen. Wait, he was in House of Gucci. I don't remember that. I did like that. I liked to sing that. I saw it in the theater, I think, or on a plane.
Speaker 3: I saw it on the on a plane, I think.
Speaker 2: But anyway, so he's actually filling in her Huang. So that's kind of why Huang's doing him as solid and got him some consulting work with the FBI after his clinic folded because he was accused of, you know, raping his daughter. So but he didn't anyway, Yeah, it would be weird if the detectives were working with him.
Speaker 1: No, he just had consensual sex with another teen girl. So still not great.
Speaker 2: So you know, they're like, so what are we looking at? And he says, someone who cared that. You know, she was comfortable before she was abandoned silk sheets. She's tucked in and there's a doll with her, so Marnie wouldn't feel alone. And then we find out from Melinda that she was drugged with sleeping pills called zalpadan, so she didn't feel any pain.
Speaker 3: Which is ambient by the way.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, great strong drug, so you know, and then the drop off by the church means that you know, he was trying to atone for the crime, and Jeremy's like, I think the murder was just not to be caught, and it's like, who cares what the motive for the murder is. What's a better motive, like to not get caught or just to kill for the thrill. It doesn't matter if the kid is dead and blest it. So okay, so let you know, we're gonna go look at some usual suspects of pedophiles. And then Benson and Sabler leave and she's like, what the fuck Hwang is in the FBI, Like this guy's never done this before. And Stabler goes, I think he's going to bring something to the table, like, don't worry, he's a man, he'll help us. So it's a pedophile party at the precinct. All these creepy, classic pedo looking men are at the desks, and you know they need to provide alibis and convince the detectives that they are not the they're not guilty, show us that you are not a criminal. And then, oh my god, one is a teacher and has students, which is fucked because he grew up a ten year old that he works at and guess where he works as a teacher Hudson University.
Speaker 3: Of course.
Speaker 2: Of course they hired a fucking person that was convicted of molesting a ten year old, but.
Speaker 3: He has tenure. So that's that.
Speaker 2: Jeremy Iron size Maloney's like, yeah, welcome to the purv parade. That leads to nowhere, and then Irons asks about like about the doll, and Stabler goes, okay, well, the doll is called Perfect Penny and they stop making it in nineteen eighty nine, and it wasn't Marnie's. So we got to find out where this fucking doll came from. Benson joins the conversation to say that the dad is coming from from out of town. He was in Honolulu, which is a sad long flight.
Speaker 1: It's like ten to eleven hours of your daughter being gone, and but also your daughter was already missing, so why were you still in Hawaii? Yeah, you should have scooted home a little while ago.
Speaker 3: Who knows how long she was missing for? Do we know?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And even though he was out of town, maybe creeps work in pears, So they're gonna welcome the dad home and ambush him after this long sad flight because they think that he worked in a pair and the other pair killed his daughter.
Speaker 3: Stop stop stop.
Speaker 2: So the parents are fighting and yelling outside of like a brownstone to their house, and then the dad shoves the mom and the mom kind of falls on the stoop stairs behind her, and then he just begins to walk off, and then Finn like goes up to him. He swings misses and they arrest him. And his name is actually Chet Haddler, So Finn calls him a douchebag and he's like, I didn't do anything, and Benson's like, you just shoved a dead girl's mother. And so now he's in his sell room with bars and he is the mom's boyfriend, he is not the dad, and they're just dating and Finn is like, babe, for real or in your dreams, and he's like, listen, she was gonna leave her husband and take Marnie and move in with me and Finn is like, why so you can push them both around, and he denies being the killer. He's like, I did not kill this. I did not kill Marnie. And the mom defends Chet, and the husband is known about the affair for two months, so and she keeps trying to dump Chet, like she does not want to be with him. She wants to be with her husband who knows about the affair, but this check guy won't go away, and he just thinks that they're meant for each other. And Benson is like, do you know he's a jailbird and she does not, and he fucking served time for forcible touch of a thirteen year old kid, his last girlfriend's kid.
Speaker 3: Jesus. His response was it was that little bitch's idea.
Speaker 2: So Finn leans in and says, that little bitch told me you wanted a threesome. And the mom yelling at Benson, like how dare you accuse me of a threesome? And she's like, because you already lied to us, and she's like, I was at work and she says, well, your boss says different and that you left after lunch and she's like fine, okay, and it's like your daughter is dead and was missing, Like, why are you lying to investigators to keep him affair?
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, it's truly wild to me.
Speaker 2: So she finally admits the truth that her and Chat checked into a hotel at one point thirty and they were in bed while Marty disappeared, and finally she starts to cry.
Speaker 3: Benson seems sad.
Speaker 2: There's a walk and talk with Benson and Stabler, and I just really love Benson again, Like, I just like love the way she looks in this episode, and Stabler is most Stabler. He goes, great, she's getting laid while her daughter is raped and murdered.
Speaker 3: Who's gonna tell the dad?
Speaker 2: So now we're in a brainstorm session and Jeremy Irons gives a suggestion that like a mic drop moment, he thinks the attacker is a woman. Women rapists are rare but not unheard of. So now let's hear why he's and it's the same shit. It's like the killer made sure that the child was asleep wrapped in the silk, the pink pillow, like there's a doll. And they're like, well, we've seen men perverts do this all the time to lour kids. He goes, yeah, but there's no sign of penile penetration or DNA, and sailors like sure, but like it was an object. Men can use objects too, like I don't see this, And so then the detectives can count on two hands the years of like female and female molestation, and they have never arrested a woman's solo for sodomizing and raping a girl. But he just feels it's a woman who wanted the dead to be safe with God. And he just really thinks the killer is a woman, but the detectives are not convinced. But then the music starts playing out into commercial and now we're back, and we're with Jeremy sipping out of a mug and thanking Benson for the flowers that she sent for his daughter's funeral. She changes the subject quickly, and they plan Benson's flower budget must be like off the charts. If she's sending flowers to all the people she meets who have death, it's a lot of fun. Yeah, And then she asked if there's any plan to bring back the clinic, and he's like, haven't you heard I'm a charlatan. He violated confidentiality of patients, and Benson is like, you saved your patients from a killer and he's like, yeah, but I couldn't save my daughter because yeah, so the episode Mask, he runs a support group for sex crimes, like like an AA group, but for sex criminals, and one of the criminals is the one that killed his daughter, and you know, Stabler went undercover. There was just like a lot of shadiness in the episode. But yeah, he's said he couldn't save his daughter. This is a really intense chat. And so he brings it back to the case and he's like, Okay, what kind of cases do you do without men? Since most Haven men involved somehow and she says it's usually a Missus Robinson type who seduces teenage boys and so it's like teachers in love. Irons is like, yeah, but women who abuse girls are different than those who abuse boys, and she's like, yes, there's there are very few and they're appalled by their own actions. But have any killed the girls? And he said twice, but both types they were sociopaths, Like this killer is different and doesn't give me socio vibes and he goes, she had genuine care and tenderness and Benson, it fucking finally hits her.
Speaker 3: She goes, oh my god, our purp was abused herself. Duh.
Speaker 2: And he thinks the clue to the psyche of the abuse and the killer and everything is the perfect Penny doll and he says, totem okay, So it's a totem for innocence that.
Speaker 3: Her abuser stole from her.
Speaker 2: And they have to talk to every woman in Marnie's life, and finally Benson is convinced. So we go to the home and talk to the nanny housekeeper type and she is sad and she has an alibi and she says, Monday, after school, Marnie has piano lessons, so that we talk to a blonde woman who is famous. Her name is Elizabeth Mitchell, and she's playing the piano teacher and she has like bad posture, nervous enter, and whatever outfit you're picturing for a piano teacher, she's wearing it. So and she's also in another sv episode. She's in season four, episode fourteen Mercy, and it's the Tay Sacks baby Cooler episode. And she was in fifty seven episodes of Lost, fourteen episodes of Er. She's just like a prolific TV actress.
Speaker 1: I would say, yeah, I don't know her from anything, but Jared saw me watching this episode and goes, I know her. And it's probably because she was in the Expanse or something. She's in some sci fi stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And so she's playing this piano lady and she's crying and she's like so upset by the death and that she's saying that Marnie's mom canceled the piano lesson last Monday. And she starts babbling and babbling, and we learned that her parents died in a car crash when she was seventeen, and she hasn't changed anything in the house since, and that's why it's like old timey looking. And she has photos of Marnie and she's like, Marnie had perfect posture and hand position. She was such a natural talent, and like, would she be less sad she was bad at piano. Now we talk in front of sports trophies with a school employee and Jeremy Irons, and this girl was an amazing athlete with great sportsmanship too. The whole school is obsessed with her and she has not one enemy. So all the teachers have alibis and they're like okay. So everyone thinks this kid is great. The teachers all have alibis, like what the fuck are we gonna do? And so then it's like, okay, well this person is like super under the radar, like you know, but maybe they'll come to the funeral, So let's go to the funeral.
Speaker 3: Classics.
Speaker 2: So they go to the big church funeral, white casket, and Stabler and Irons could not look more like cops, but everyone is there, and then Benson sees a woman bolting and holy shit, it's the piano teacher in the crowd outside. She did not go into the church service, so that's suspicious, and so they, like, you know, they try to talk to her, but she runs the fuck off. So you're a suspect now, bitch. And her name is June Frye and she's thirty seven years old. She has no police record and never married. And the brownstone is around the corner from the church. The mom denies canceling the piano lesson on Monday and says quite the opposite, that she called to cancel around two pm, and so she also blew off a bunch of other students that day, and Irons asks if June canceled the lesson and why like, why did Marnie show up? And it's because the school secretary forgot to deliver the message, so Marnie just like could have just walked there. So they think that, you know, so June called canceled the lesson. The secretary didn't say something, Marnie walked over there. Uh oh, this case is really coming together. The school secretary probably feels pretty guilty.
Speaker 3: I hope. It's like, do your fucking job.
Speaker 2: So we got to get a search warrant for her brownstone, and Iron, showing his lack of expertise, is like, let's just ask her to see it, and they're like, babe, then it can't be evidence in court, like she might destroy evidence if she knows we're on to her.
Speaker 3: And he's like, well, she knows we're onto her.
Speaker 2: She ran away from us at the church, Like what, And I mean it's not like Sbu loves following rules anyways. So they're convinced and they're like, yeah, let's just go over there. So they knock, knock, knock, and we hear piano music playing, and then a blonde woman with barettes and a sweater is flabbergacid and is like, what do you want now, and Benson's like, babe, we need your help and she's like please, and she says I can't. Please, don't come here again. And Jeremy Irons tries to connect, like, oh, piano, I like piano so and that's I guess enough to connect, but she says it's too painful, like I can't talk about this, and he's like, well, what if it helps us get like who did this to her? It'll only take a few minutes. So she lets them in and it so he asks her for tea. She goes to put water on and Stabler goes to the bat like to the bathroom downstairs.
Speaker 3: So they're like they're being shady.
Speaker 2: So Stabler explains to Jeremy Irons, like anything that we find without opening a drawer or opening a door is fair game. They see old magazines, it's like time truly stop thirty years ago in this house, and he is like, something happened here that brought her like to a screeching halt. And he says he sees a blonde curl on music notes that's haunting. It's a fake curl of hair, but it could be perfect. Pennies so the men also they see a pink pillow that's the same that was found with her, and they smell bleach and they notice through the window, the basement window, that she's taken out the garbage. She's upstairs just playing piano as everyone's ridding around, and Benson is listening and compliments her and is like, oh cool. As the men dig through the trash, and then another luggage piece from the set and it's a wooden spoon, and Benson on Walkie we hear says rush a bus to four fifty one Hamilton Terrace and Maloney hears it on the radio while digging in the trash, and it's like, what the fuck is going on? And she had a cardiac arrest. She was playing and just collapsed. She's not breathing, and Irons does CPR, like holy shit, what is about to happen? And then they see the pill bottle and the canister is empty and it's the zolpadan the what is it the generic?
Speaker 3: But is it generic? Ambient is a brand name for yes, zolpid the generic.
Speaker 2: Yes, Okay, someone's on a budget, someone, someone's on an HMO. And she said, tell Marnie's parents I'm sorry. And so this case is wrapping up, but we still have a chunk of the episode, so like what's gonna happen?
Speaker 3: But she is pissed.
Speaker 2: She is really pissed that they saved her and she wants to be dead. And they share with her all the evidence of the crime that they have and she covers her eyes and is like, please, please, please just leave me alone. And he says, June, I know you love Marnie, but give her parents some peace and tell them why. And she's just like, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. She said, I will die before I talk about Marnie. And they did find Marnie's prints up in the room, but like also dozens of kids that play piano there, so that like that can't be proof. They have like no proof that connects her to anything. But she does have a secret.
Speaker 3: We can tell.
Speaker 2: She's so nervous and she just tried to take her own life. But so we have to unlock the door to her secrets. And they all look at Jeremy Irons. They're like, you're the sweet talker here. It worked once. You know you can on piano, so you go give it a shot. So he puts the doll on an office chair in the wood blind's room. She is like, I already told you. I'm not saying shit. You should have let me die. And she is like there is nothing to talk about. And he's like, well, how about why you tried to take your own life? And she's like, oh, you're a psychologist, aren't you. And he goes, Nope, a psychiatrist. Same deal except a few more days of medical school. And I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Oh, yes, psychiatrist is is a longer thing because you can prescribe medication.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it totally makes sense. I just never really thought about it. Well, I had a wild thing, so I have my never ending row of issues. So I picked up two prescriptions yesterday and the pharmacist gave me directions on how to use it, but the doctor in my portal gave me different directions. And I was like, who do you listen to the pharmacist or the doctor. I feel like this is a curb episode or like Seinfelder's. Yeah, but and so I messaged the doctor back and the doctor wants what he wants. But I was just like wondering about that yesterday.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also the other day, the pharmacists said Okay, this is a thirty day supply, and I go, this is a ten day supply. She goes, it says thirty and like it was a ten day supply. So who knows so well shaved to pharmacists.
Speaker 2: Well, it's definite shave to pharmacists, because so psychiatrists have to learn psychology and then they have to learn everything that pharmacists learn.
Speaker 3: Is that it I think I would assume.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so are they going to make as dumb mistakes as the pharmacist did yesterday?
Speaker 3: Anyways, she is not having it.
Speaker 2: She goes, you know why people end their lives and he goes, yeah, they have too much pain that they can bear, that they can't bear, and they think that throwing in the towel is easier than dealing with what is the cause of the pain. And she says she doesn't deserve to live. He asks when she started playing piano five years old, her mother taught her, and that she was an only child, and he asks if she treasured her And she used to read her stories fairy tales and called her my little princess. And the doll just keeps sitting there like a little chucky, like a little well, dressed.
Speaker 3: Chucky ha, and.
Speaker 2: He brings her on to the table and the doll stares at Blondie and he then asks about the dad and she's like, I don't want to talk about him, and he pushes. He's like, do you remember you know when he gave you the doll? And he is he caressing the doll, and she grabs the doll away from him and says, stop torturing me. She yells, you don't know anything about how I feel, and maybe I should ask for a lawyer, and he says, oh, well, we're talking, you don't need a lawyer, and then knock knock on the mirror like the fastest. But then she's distressed. She's like, wait, wait, people are watching us. What And he walks out and is like, why the hell did you do that? And they're like, babe, you can This is like cop one, oh one. If they ask for a lawyer, you shut the fuck up because we can't use anything.
Speaker 3: She says.
Speaker 2: After that in court, he's like, well, you're an agent of the police, like I'm not, and they're like, you need to listen to us, and he's like he's like, well, if I act legally and change her mind is that okay? And they're like, yeah, if you can change her mind legally, So he goes back there and he tries to trick her into giving up her rights. He makes the show of saying how he can't talk, and he has to grab his jacket and he's out of there, and it's like, baby, you didn't even want to talk anyways, Like why are like why would this work? You know?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Suddenly she's like wait, wait, wait, where are you going?
Speaker 2: I loved talking And her thing is like she would just like rather talk to him than anyone that's on the other side of the mirror, and so she waves her because he like knows about show pain or whatever. Yeah, it always is so funny the way they connect to people who just like do not want to be connected by such a tidy little thing. But she also doesn't want them watching, so he tells her, like, why don't we sit on this couch on the other side of the room. They won't be able to see you there. And I can't tell if that's a lie or not, Like I think it's a lie. So he says he knows about family pain, that his daughter stops speaking to him at age sixteen and him for twenty years, his little Anne, And she asked what happened and he says that she was attacked by somebody who works with him, and she died. Oh, yeah, it was one of the pedophile the secretary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a guy that worked for him. Yeah, yeah, that's what it was. She was attacked by. I mean, SVW is so good and why did she hate him?
Speaker 2: So he said he was addicted to sex and alcohol and he didn't do anything bad, but for twenty years he thought he did and nobody should have to live with shame like that, and he understands how that feels. Her body language is very like childlike, and she said that she was seven her dad came into her room at bedtime and he told her how special she was and that she was the most important thing in his life and he wanted to give her a present and that present was the doll Penny Perfect. And then he's like, oh, and he got into bed with you, and she starts to cry and says, it's my fault because I knew it was wrong. But he said we couldn't tell anyone because nobody would understand. And he takes out, he takes a photo of Marnie, and he's like, is that why you gave her the doll? To keep her safe? And she's just crying and crying. It wasn't supposed to happen. So she looks at the photo of Marnie and she says to the photo, why did you come to my house? I told your mother not to send you, that you shouldn't come, and you would be fine if you hadn't come to my house. And she cries and caresses the photo and Jeremy Irons looks at her. And she gave Marnie the milk with the pills, and then they sat at the piano and she started to drift off and that's when she took the wooden spoon, and so Marnie was like crying. It was like, I'm going to tell my mom. And that's when she was like, oh, you can't tell your mom. And so that's why the pillow the sheets got cozy and go be with God. She starts ugly crying so much wetness. She keeps saying I'm sorry, I'm sorry, and she collapses in sadness, and we take a little blackout moment and we're back and she's sleeping on the couch with the doll in the blind's room, and behind the blinds is the whole group talking shit about her. So at first they're like, yes, hell, yes, we got a confession. We got to get her in the system and take her ass to jail. And He's like, jail, but what if she tries to take her life again? So we're gonna keep her on watch in the room. She gets on her knees and asks God for forgiveness, like, please please comfort Marnie's precious soul and those that needed my comfort and protection and I couldn't give it to them. And Benson goes, wait, what them? Who is them? How many lives has she ruined? We got to talk to them. So they do a collage of young piano girls and they all love her. And then we end with like a nice crisp outdoor walk and it's with Stabler and this punk rock team girl who outgrew her lessons because she just wanted to hang out with her friends.
Speaker 1: Which is this actress is Dylan Glula who is from Kimmy Schmidt. Oh okay, and I've actually met her. We did a stage reading and she's super funny. She's really funny on Twitter.
Speaker 2: Actually, this girl, oh fun, Yeah, she does seem fun. It's a breath of like fresh air in this up sode of sadness and she's just like walking the dog streaks in her hair. And he asked if she ever made her feel uncomfortable. She's like, no, except for the last Monday when she blew her off. Her mom called her to be like, bitch, get home. That girl was kidnapped. And on her way home, she saw June arguing with an old woman and they were fighting, and she ignored her when she said hi, to continue arguing with this old lady with a cane. And then the old lady goes up to the stoop with June. So, holy smokes, what's going on? So was that clear? So basically, you know, all the Monday lessons were canceled. And then she's walking around and sees June on the stoop I arguing with this woman who then enters the home. So now the team is in the priest think with some connections to make. And what they figure out is the dad died, but guess what, the mom didn't and she remarried, so June lied. The mom's name is Elaine fry Cavanaugh bad last name, and she's alive and well in Brooklyn. She's was a legal clerk for thirty years and has been on disability since two thousand and four when she slipped and fell. But like, why would you lie about your mom being dead? And well, she wanted her to be dead, so maybe it's like not protecting her from the dad, and so she's mad at the mom and it's like, I'd rather you be dead in my brain than deal with the fact that you suck.
Speaker 3: And again I wrote, again, Benson looks so good. What's wrong?
Speaker 2: Stabler is like, well, what if the mom molested her? And Irons is like, yeah, a lot of times girls lie and say it's the dad because it's just too much for them, like to say the mom and like no one could believe it, So maybe she like lied about that. So maybe that like she didn't call the mom to help with the body or anything, but the mom was already there and Marnie came over, and that's why she didn't want Marne coming over because the mom is such an evil bitch. And June's mom killed Marty, so that's like a new idea. So now they go to the limping mother's house and they tell her that June says she's dead and she chuckles it off and says, well, that's tip goal. There's a huge like art and stairs. This is a really big house, so I feel like there's money there because the art is just it looks like an art that would be at like a skyscraper bank building. It's like a giant, giant piece because even if it's bad art, that's not cheap. So current husband Grant, so you know, she got remarried. He died last year and he says that he was just as weak and useless as husband number one. She connects to Stabler having kids and like she's firm but fair, but perfection is hard, but we got to get perfect. And Benson's like, oh, did the handle of the spoon help with that? And the mom's face changes and is like, oh, try me, bitch, and she goes tell me what that means, and she says, you weren't teaching her how to bake cookies, and Stabler says, or Marnie for that matter, and she's like what the girl who died. They're like, stop pretending like you don't know who she is, and she is like, what are you accusing me of? And Stabler's like, listen, why did you go to our house Monday? It doesn't seem like she likes you at all. And she's like, don't presume how my daughter feels about me, and Benson nails into her and tears well into this woman's eyes, like in an amazing way, I like this actress. And what's presumptuous is after the horror show you put her through, that you made her clean up your mess and she goes, I do not make messes. So what happened with Martie? Did you drug her and use the spoon on her? And she yells out that she's gonna call her lawyer, and then up the stairs runs a girl named Katie and the mom yells, tell them where I was Monday? Tell them? Okay, So this Katie Kavanaugh character, she's a friend of the pot. She was a guest. Her name is Agatha. That's not her name. Her name is not a Gappa. Her name is Agatha new Wiki and she's from the episode in Prison Lives, and.
Speaker 3: We love her.
Speaker 2: She's a great actress. She's an incredible actress. We really enjoyed our interview with her and in Prison Lives is based on the what's his name?
Speaker 3: Abel?
Speaker 2: Didn't I keep calling him the wrong name in that episode? It's the Cleveland man Ariel Castro right, yes, and I kept calling him Abel and I feel like you had to be like, it's Aeriel.
Speaker 3: Please stop.
Speaker 2: So the mom like I said, I loved her, We had Agatha, we love her. Lisa Baynes is playing the mom. Sadly she did pass in twenty twenty one, but she had eighty five credits and she was a theater darling who won many awards, and we can see why. So the mom to Katie says, tell them where I was Monday and how I got there? And Katie says that she had a bridge tournament up in Stanford and she drove her up and dropped her off, and sailor goes, oh, you have two daughters, and she says, yes, one by Roger and one by Grant.
Speaker 3: Is that a crime? And Katie cries, what do you people want?
Speaker 2: I didn't do anything, and mom says, Katie, shut your mouth. Benson says no, keep talking, and she screams, you don't need to be here, don't you get it? She cries and runs down the stairs. No no, no, no, no, no no, and closes herself in the closet of a room in the basement and rocks back and forth crying. So she clearly has some problems, like why are you running away? Benson asks, is this your bedroom? And she goes yes, and then the mom limps down and says, leave my little girl alone and get out of my bedroom. Done done. So the mom looks pissed and she's breathing deep. You know, she had to, like, you know, limp and cane her way down the stairs and my god, and then Benson goes, oh my god. So we go straight to Riker's and Blondie is like, why did you come? I told you everything and they're like, but not the truth. You don't belong here and you never did. And she calls the guard to take her back and says, I did a terrible thing. I deserve to be in jail, and they're like, listen, we know you put her in the Duffel, but you didn't kill her. And her sister comes in and says, why did you tell them? And she says, I didn't. I promise Katie, I didn't. And then they hug and then June is like crying and apologizing to Katie like I'm sorry, I shouldn't have left. So basically like she just feels really guilty because she ran away and goes, I left you, I should have stayed to protect you. And Benson and all of them are like, girl, your mom sucks. It's not your fault. Like June, it is not your fault. So now we go talk to Katie and see what's up with Katie. So Katie says that June that she wanted to go over to her house, but June said that she'd be out for a while and she was gone from the house, so just let yourself in and I'll meet you there soon, and that she had canceled her piano the first piano lesson to let Katie come over.
Speaker 3: But when Katie got to.
Speaker 2: The house, the little student was on the porch and she had seen her before, so she went inside and she was so cute and innocent and sweet, and she doesn't know why, but suddenly she asked her if she could take her clothes off, and she's confessing all of this right now. So the girl said no and tried to leave, and so she got real mad, but she didn't want her to feel bad, so she went into the kitchen, got pills, got the wooden spoon like the woman, like the mom did, and then June came home.
Speaker 3: And saw what she had done.
Speaker 2: June listens at the spy window and then Benson lets her know like she's gonna have to testify against her half sister. Benson says they will send her to a psychiatric facility, but she will never be free again, and the mother will be going to jail for the ongoing abuse. Since the daughter and mom share a bed. Katie tries to talk to June through the mirror and says, I will always love you. You will always be my sister. June thinks things are her fault and how how I can't and she forgive herself, but Jeremy Irons on the way out, says, you can start by having me help you. Try, and he puts his arm around her and they walk out and Benson, I feel like look suspicious but maybe I maybe not.
Speaker 1: And She's just like, Wow, this is such a fucked up situation.
Speaker 3: I hope this guy can help that crazy woman. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so she was just protecting her sister who she couldn't protect when she was a child, so she wants to make up for it.
Speaker 3: And that's that. It is a wild It's a wild one. This is a wild one. All right.
Speaker 1: We got a true crime to cover when we come back, So don't go anywhere after these messages.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: This episode is based on a crime that happened in Tracy, California, which is northern California. It's like closer to like Stockton and modesto like east of San Francisco. An eight year old girl named Sandra Cantu disappeared in March of two thousand and nine. She lived at a mobile home park called Orchard Estates with her mom, her grandparents, and three older siblings. And so March twenty seventh of nine, this little second grader played at a friend's house till four pm. Then she came home and left, saying she was going to go play at another friend's house. And when she didn't come home for dinner, her family reported her missing shortly before eight o'clock that night. And there was this piece of surveillance footage of Sandra crossing the street in front of her home and that was the last time she was seen alive. And this was being played on tons of national news stations. Everyone's looking for her, reminiscent of like the Mornie being missing. Cops searched the mobile home park for her, but they got nothing, and so they called in the FBI, and then the weekend that she was gone was twenty eight twenty nine of March. They brought in police dogs, equestrian teams, ATVs, a helicopter, all kinds of shit to help with the search, and a twenty two thousand dollars reward was offered as well.
Speaker 3: Police started to.
Speaker 1: Become suspicious at one point of a woman named Melissa Huckabee, who was a twenty eight year old Sunday school teacher who also lived at this mobile home park and her daughter was friends with Sandra, the girl who disappeared.
Speaker 3: On the day of.
Speaker 1: Sandra's disappearance, Huckaby sent a text to Sandra's mom that said, quote tell the police that I had something stolen around four PM. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I don't This text is weird, I don't know. The next day, at a vigil for Sandra, Melissa Huckaby approached police and FBI agents to report that she had found a note on the ground and they said that she was acting quote very agitated, crying, hyperventilating. The note read quote can two locked in stolen suitcase, stolen spelled incorrectly, thrown in water on on spelled incorrectly but Ketty or Bacchetti Road and Whitehall Road period witness period.
Speaker 3: So that's what this note says.
Speaker 1: Cantu locked in stolen suitcase, thrown in water on Buketty Road and Whitehall Road witness. Another lead popped up when a couple told police that they saw Huckabye at a pond on their property on Bucketty Road and Whitehall Road between five point thirty and six pm on the day of Sandra's disappearance. They later recognized huckaby on television and that's when they decided to go to the cops and say, hey, we saw this woman. They told the police that she was distracted and hurried, and that the woman said I just had to pee real quick, so they probably thought nothing of it.
Speaker 3: But then when they saw.
Speaker 1: Her on TV like probably making comments she was eager to be involved in this case, they went to the cops and said that they saw her. Police kept reviewing footage from surveillance cameras outside of Sandra's house, and here's the timeline from the day she disappeared three point fifty four.
Speaker 3: Around when she gets home from.
Speaker 1: The first playdate that she did, she starts walking towards Huckabe's residence. Eight minutes later, at four oh two, Huckaby's SVU SUV goes driving out in the opposite direction. Right around then, Huckaby called the trailer park manager to report that a suitcase, an Eddie Bauer suitcase, had been stolen from her trailer. As a former heavy shopper at Eddie Bauer as a child, this resonates with me.
Speaker 2: We used to always have to go to Eddie Power, so we didn't always go to Eddie Bauer. But there was this one person that I wanted so bad, like this other girl Julia had it, and I just wanted it so bad and I did get it, did you Like?
Speaker 3: They were like.
Speaker 2: These little purses and they had like a bat like a plastic clippy thing and they would open the head netting in it and it was like they were flat and cool. I don't know, I just felt like the coolest girl with my Eddie Bauer purse.
Speaker 3: I loved it.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I don't remember it was an Eddie Bauer purse.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I wonder if I'm ever gonna be able to find it. I'm sure it's like on eBay somewhere or something. But yeah, I had an Eddie Bauer backpack when I really wanted an llban.
Speaker 2: We're right, that's so funny. I just googled it and it showed up on eBay. But it wasn't this color. Okay, I'm gonna send you the link, like I mean, I need to see this. Mine was dark blue, like it's not a but it was like this.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, I've seen these. Yeah, because these are like travel.
Speaker 1: They're for travel, right, like your people wear these under their clothes when they travel.
Speaker 3: But I I wore it to school. I loved it. I loved it. I get I have all my lipsmackers in there.
Speaker 1: Tourists are like trying not to get their passports stolen, and these is like so many compartments for my lip gloss.
Speaker 3: Love it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Eddie Bower suitcase is stolen. She calls right around the time to report the suitcase stolen, around five point thirty she's caught on camera driving away from the church where she taught Sunday school and from between five thirty and six is when that couple said they saw her acting weird by this irrigation pond, and then around six o'clock she returned to the church. So Huckabee also had a history of mental health issues, including borderline personality disorder, bipolar disorder, and schizophrenia. But the cops thought her behavior was just like she was looking for attention and like wanted to be involved in this big thing like they didn't make They didn't consider her a suspect at all until they found the body on April sixth, about you know, nine days after she went missing. Her body was found in a suitcase in a pond that was being routinely drained.
Speaker 3: It was like an irrigation pond. And the autopsy.
Speaker 1: Found that she had been beaten and sexually abused with a foreign object before being smothered. So the pathology report, like after later, the pathology report came out like all the details of the case were unsealed, and it turned out she had been strangled with a torn piece of cloth that had been knotted into a noose and that the cause of death was homicidal asphyxiation, which in the episode, I think they call it traumatic.
Speaker 3: Asphyxiation, so I thought it was interesting.
Speaker 1: It's like a similar and the tuxacology report found ALPRASLAMB in her system, which is xanax. So in this episode they decided to go with ambient, but in real life it was alprasalamb which is xanax. So the FBI profile of the killer at first, much like the cops in this episode, was a white male age twenty five to forty with a criminal history of sexual assault or you know, child pornography charges, and then the deputy district Attorney Thomas Tesla said, quote we thought there was no way a woman would do these things end quote. So after the body was found in the suitcase that was alluded to in the note that Huckabee gave the police, they started looking harder at her. They were like, like, why would you know the only person that's talked about a suitcase is this woman, and she had a suitcase go missing and that's where the girl was found.
Speaker 3: This is all too much.
Speaker 2: She was trying to pretend like the person who sold the suitcase did this.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, but also some people thought she was like also maybe trying because she had been so anxious to be involved, that maybe she was trying to be like I'm the one that solved it, you know, by giving them the note, like I.
Speaker 3: Solved it, you know.
Speaker 1: So there's a lot of there's a lot of mental health stuff going on with this woman as well. So FBI agents searched the church and collected a rolling pin from the kitchen, which was reportedly had a bloody smudge on it as well as a bent handle, and that rolling pin did test positive for Sandra's DNA.
Speaker 3: Horrible. So, during an.
Speaker 1: April sixth search of Huckabee's home after the suitcase had been recovered, they found a notebook with the title. The cover of the notebook said quote cute but psycho things will even out, And inside the notebook they found like pages where clearly the indentation came from the letters, like she had written the note, like you know, you can just like do pencil to see like who wrote the note before you.
Speaker 3: That's based what happened.
Speaker 1: So they brought her all of this crazy evidence, and Huckabee sort of confessed at first, she said that Sandra had hid in the suitcase as part of a game, but then stayed there too long and suffocated, And like none of that matches up with the timeline at all, Like what actually happened was like when they caught her on camera at three fifty four walking towards the house, she got in the car with her, she brought her to the church where sadly, it's the church where Sandra's grandfather was a pastor, so it's like their family church, and where this woman had been a Sunday school teacher, and that's where she assaulted and killed this little girl. So on April tenth, she was arrested and charged with Sandra's murder. She received further charges regarding the druggings of a seven year old girl and a thirty seven year old man, but those charges, as well as the charges of sexually assaulting Sandra, were all dropped as part of a plea bargain where she pleaded guilty to first degree murder and kidnapping of Sandra so that she could avoid the death penalty, so she.
Speaker 2: Got life had I wonder if being a pedophile in women prisons is just as bad as men prisons too, Like I wonder if that's part.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wonder too.
Speaker 1: But after she was sentenced to life imprisonment without possibility of parole, and at her sentencing, she denied sexually assaulting Sandra and asked her mother, Maria Shavaz, for forgiveness, like she I guess the whole time, always denied the sexual assault part, like she admitted the rest of it, but said she never like she said, quote she did not suffer.
Speaker 3: Well, we'll get to it.
Speaker 1: She quote said she did not suffer and I did not sexually molest her. I'm asking you, Maria, for your forgiveness. I can't imagine forgiving someone who harmed my daughter. I hope someday you can forgive me. She sobbed, apologizing to the family and said I should not have taken her from you. I owe you an explanation, but I still cannot understand why I did what I did. This is a question I will struggle with for the rest of my life. So motive is a bit of a mystery in this case, as you're also like, lady leave town like she wanted to be caught. She wanted to be caught. Yeah, motive is a bit of a mystery. One prosecutor in this case, thought she might possibly have killed Sandra just for attention. Others said that munch in Munchausen by proxy syndrome was a possible factor. Her own daughter had a history of being sick and in need of like hospital care that was like above the norm, and they said there were twenty or so times that wait, this is a quote from Tesla, the guy I talked about earlier, the assistant the deputy district attorney, who said there were twenty or so times that Melissa cut herself, set fires, or verbally or psychologically attacked someone else, such as a roommate. And there was something like that going on here where she wanted to be the center of attention. So it could have just been like she was having a slow day for attention and was like, I'm going to do this. So people thought that the text, like the text message was obviously a huge clue to the mom being like say that I had something stolen.
Speaker 3: I don't really know why. That text doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Speaker 1: But also, yeah, there was They were speculated that she wanted to be the one who helped solve the car I'm more attention and that's why she wrote the note, and people were like, you could easily see she wrote this note like that's her handwriting, Like you don't even need a handwriting analysis, like it's her handwriting if you just like look at anything else she's ever written, like it's her handwriting. So really fucking sad, And that woman's in jail forever.
Speaker 3: Boom yeah boo. But they yeah, they, I mean, the.
Speaker 1: Whole thing about the mom being the molester is a different that's the SVU spin on it. But who knows what's going gone on in this world woman Melissa Huckaby's life, but she will be in jail forever, but uh, anyway, yeah, and her daughter hopefully is safe now because I'm I don't know if you can go kill random kids and not and be like.
Speaker 3: Hell to your kid, but you can, actually you can, I think or not.
Speaker 1: No, I think that she was doing something to her kid, like people thought this Munchausen thing was like her daughter was like sick all the time, going to the hospital, Like I'm sure the mom was doing something to her, but who's to say?
Speaker 3: I was not there?
Speaker 1: But anyway, we, of course, due to strike issues, will not have a guest on today's episode. But we are obviously going to do our usual post mortem, so don't go anywhere. As you know, we're not going to have a guest on today's episode in support of the strike, so we'll just get right into our post mortem.
Speaker 3: Lisa, what did we learn.
Speaker 1: From this insane episode of television?
Speaker 3: You know, it's not a learn.
Speaker 2: But it is wild that the wooden spoon didn't leave splinters. Yeah, it's not that smooth like a hair bruh, because there was a hairbrush episode right when someone molested by a hairbrush, Like that is smooth like a wooden spoon or is it like made in a certain way.
Speaker 1: That maybe it's shellacked. I don't know, but yeah, that's that's not really where my mind went right away about this. But you know, I guess my my takeaway is, uh, make sure the fucking school secretary.
Speaker 3: Is getting your kid.
Speaker 1: I guess this is like an argument for cell phones, for kids to have phones, even like Apple Watch phones, where you can just say, hey, don't go to piano, your lessons canceled so that your piano teacher's sister doesn't kill you.
Speaker 2: It didn't make sense. Why did she kill her? I think it was like, why did she even molest just because molested people hurt molested people.
Speaker 3: And I guess I think that was it.
Speaker 1: And then it's like she realized once she kind of asked the inappropriate question and did something bad, she was just trying to cover up her tracks.
Speaker 3: Damn. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also, I learned if you have an accent and grief in your life, the FBI will just throw you a bone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, if you've had a recent loss, hit up the FBI, They will hook your ass up, no.
Speaker 2: Problem, Yeah, just consult Who care? Like what that's so wild to me?
Speaker 1: Cat Cap Jackson able to join the FBI on a moment's notice. I wonder what bed Wong had going on at the time. Anyway, this was his last season too. Oh yeah, twelve was a lot of changes. I mean to lose bed Wong, chrispher Maloney, Neil Bear all in one one swoop.
Speaker 3: Why ah? Yeah, that's twelve, is it?
Speaker 1: Twelve is a turning point for short Twelve is a turning point anyway.
Speaker 3: What let's wrap up. We don't need to belieguer this, do we No, we didn't.
Speaker 2: But also, if you're a mom, don't share a bed, don't molest please.
Speaker 1: Please that goes for everybody. Just don't molest. Please, don't do that.
Speaker 2: Also, if you were molested in a house, remodel, you know, don't don't stay stuck.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, get some random renovate that beautiful brownstone.
Speaker 2: But why did she get to keep the brownstone and the mom is in this other place?
Speaker 1: I bet you that the dad like, well, maybe the deal was like when the dad died, the daughter was like, I'm getting the brownstone, get out of my life where I will like tell everybody what you've been doing to me or something like that, because it sounds like the mom just remarried another guy and took him for his beautiful Brooklyn apartment with the art that you pointed out.
Speaker 2: You know, Oh, it's just it's the dad's place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because she's a legal assistant or something. They said.
Speaker 1: The mom has like to like, you know, stopped working a few years earlier, but I'd just been like a thirty year legal assistant or clerk or something like that. So she's marrying I think for money if she's getting brownstones and beautiful Brooklyn apartments.
Speaker 3: With multiple levels although there's only.
Speaker 1: One bedroom, because that's how we know that they share a bed anyway, Yeah, and they have a bedroom in the basement.
Speaker 3: Weird when you have a caine.
Speaker 2: But is she being molested every day or do they just sleep chill sometimes, Like I just have so many questions.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's so upsetting. It's so upsetting, But let's move on this week. What would Sister Peg do? Normally, this is a time where we direct you towards a website, a charitable organization, a documentary and articles, something to give you more info about what we talked about in today's episode. But honestly, nothing really pertains to this episode that we haven't covered before, and so we thought it's late August, school is starting, we thought we would direct you towards the Amazon wish lists of all of our teacher listeners that we have been sharing on our Instagram. If you go to our Instagram, there's a highlight that says teachers, and if you page through that, there are links to dozens of wish lists for all of our teacher listeners.
Speaker 3: If you have a.
Speaker 1: Minute, if you have a few extra bucks, scroll through, grab people some post it notes, it ships automatically to them. It's a really nice way to support teachers who unfortunately in our fucked up capitalist society are the least supported people. And you know, we could really they could all really use our help just getting their kids the supplies that they need. So we have so many great educator listeners and we've shared their wish lists. So head on over to that highlight and give it a give it a spin, scroll back. Make sure we don't just all give to the first one. Scroll to a few in the middle and give some things if you can.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is amazing and we'll never forget our memories. Shout out to Columbus, Ohio, where in our trivia game for our live show, a woman came up and we always ask our volunteers like who do you want to fuck in this SVU universe? And she said William Lewis and everyone gasped. And then after the game she said thanks again for posting my Amazon wish list, and we went, Wow, you're a teacher and you need help. You William Lewis, fucker.
Speaker 1: I mean some people are able to separate the Shreiber from the Lewis.
Speaker 3: I can't do it.
Speaker 1: But if people can do that, or from the porn stash for that matter, but I can't do it.
Speaker 3: Put godspeed to those who can, so shout out.
Speaker 2: If you're listening, we think about you often, our little William Lewis teacher. Next week please join us, we'll be doing the episode Web. It's a dark one. It's about the Dark Web, Season seven, episode twenty one. See you soon, everybody Bye. That's Messed Up as an Exactly Right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us, or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email at That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod and on Twitter at Messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and at glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 3: Thank you so.
Speaker 2: Much to our producer Kacy O'Brien and to.
Speaker 1: Our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner and Henry Kaperski for our theme song, and Carly Geen Andrews for our artwork. Thank you to our executive producers Georgia Hardstar, Karen Kilgarriff, Daniel Kramer and everybody at Exactly Right Media.
Speaker 3: Dun Dunn