Speaker 1: The volume. Well, I've said it before, Fubo is one of my favorite ways to watch sports, College basketball, NBA. It doesn't matter what the sport is. Fubo TV delivers. I watch it constantly on airplanes, if I'm in my car and I'm driving and I want to stay up to date in the game. FuboTV dot Com slash Colin. You will get fifty dollars off for two months of Fubo TV, and the Masters is going to be on it. Major League Baseball is going to be on it. It's just in my life. I can't always be in front of a TV, but I want to stay up to date on what's happening in sports. Fubo TV dot Com slash Colin, fifty bucks off two months Fubo. Well, you're going to hear him more regularly now over the next seven weeks. Jason Timp, host of Hoops Tonight. As we get very close to the playoffs, the young teams OKAC and Houston still playing their ass off, and the old teams are resting and reducing minutes, so you get you know, March is such a weird month for the NBA as you watch college basketball and playing a Walt of this passion. I want to start with a little college basketball. So you know, the minute Michigan State got down ten, it's over because they can't shoot threes. They're like three hundred and eighteenth on field goals made, three pointers made, Like it's over. But all four teams are great defensive teams. Houston, Duke, Auburn, Florida. In my take is, you have to be in college basketball. Even Saint John's has no shooters. So the truth is in the game. Like when you watch Duke, you're like, oh, yeah, that's Cooper Flag could play in the NBA right now at eighteen, Like he's that good. Not Lebron good at eighteen, but he's really really good. Any big takeaway from college basketball, I've never understood why college basketball fans want less talented teams in the Final four. They all root for Cinderella, And I'm like, I was supposed to be bummed out because Duke and Houston are playing, Like, what are we talking about here?
Speaker 2: Any thoughts from you?
Speaker 3: The problem is is that to your point, in order to go on a deep run in the tournament, you have to be great on defense. Yes, and the skill level is just so dramatically low compared to the NBA that when the high level defense is played, it's really hard to create shots. Honestly, it was one of the few reasons why I was actually a little optimistic about Arizona going into this tournament, as I was like, oh, Caleb Love is a grown up who can score, and they're great defense, and if they pair those two together, they can make some noise. Cooper Flag has been fun, you know, Colin. I was talking with Josh Goldman before the show today and he was like, Hey, let's talk a little Cooper Flag. And so I was watching some film of him from the tournament, and you know, the guy he actually kind of reminds me of, and I mean this sincerely as a compliment, is Jason Tatum. He projects to be a big, strong forward at his position who has a ton of attributes, none of which are like eye popping, Like he's a good athlete, but he's not this earth shattering athlete. He's got a good first step, not a great first step. He protects to be a good shooter, not an elite shooter. He can do stuff on the ball, but he can also operate like he did against Arizona as a screen and rollfeck for a while. He just is super versatile and can do all these different things, and I think of him as that type of player with almost a little bit more upside, just simply because I think that Cooper Flag's motor runs hotter than a guy like Tatum who can can kind of lack that from time to time, but overall, like I was watching him and it's just one of those like no brainer type of draft picks where it's like there's no like giant red Flag that would get you off of him. I look at him as just a shoe in, you know, fifteen to twenty year All star type of pro.
Speaker 2: This is what I have said.
Speaker 1: I think he's Jason Tatum with a little nastiness to him.
Speaker 2: He likes to finish.
Speaker 1: He'll be a better finisher early in his career. Tatum sometimes now, not this year necessarily, but there are times in Tatum's career He's let the game come to him and Cooper's more aggressive. Cooper's gonna take the game to you, and he's and even in college where even Michael Jordan in college, you know, you play within the system. You have the coach and the brand. Cooper will take it over. Cooper on a break will be like, I'm gonna take this. And I mean there's even the story about Jason Tatum's dad saying, yeah, I wish my son, you know, played with a little more edge. But I look at Cooper flag as a B plus at everything, a minus at everything. Nothing is wow. Now I do think Jason Tatum there are some things now he's getting close to a material. First of all, his durability. He's hurt recently, He's never hurt. He's got I mean, the guy just plays a lot of minutes, a lot of games, and he plays hard all the time. And I do think Jason Tatum has heard people criticize him about kind of an apathy at times in big moments, and I think he's corse correct that. I think he's been more aggressive this year when I've watched him, So I think he's been This's the best Jason Tatum I've seen. But it's exciting. I've said this before. I love the NBA so obviously dur in the football season, I don't talk it much, but by late January I start watching. By mid February, I'm watching every night. And my take is what we need is more great players ready to play out of big, big college brands. I think the NBA thought they could do it themselves for the G League and then they kind of realize, you know, college basketball is really popular, especially in March.
Speaker 2: And I've said this before.
Speaker 1: You go make three hundred thousand in the G League or get three million dollars in marketing playing for North Carolina, Arizona or Duke.
Speaker 2: Take the marketing.
Speaker 1: And by the way, those guys have chefs, all of them, Gonzaga chefs, swag twenty pair of shoes like it's it's a pretty good life in college. It may not be as good as the G League, but I would argue Duke's campus and what you get from the coaching down the sh is just as good as the G League for one year. Then it's exponentially better because of all the marketing. We don't know who Zion is without Duke, I have no idea. So I think I think college basketball fortifying the NBA helps. I mean, let's be honest. The reason I mean NFL has these college legends. Baker Mayfield is a brand the minute he lands like they was pretty rare that Zion was a brand day one. I mean, NFL gives you about three of those a year, four of those a year quarterbacks. You're like, oh, yeah, I know all about the cam Ward and Shader Sanders. They're brands right now, they'll sell tomorrow. So I think I made a mistake. I overthought it. I took Arizona beating Duke. I think Duke's gonna win it though, anybody you like.
Speaker 3: I would say Houston's looked really good. I've been disconnected from college hoops relative to most people because I just dive headlong into the NBA. That's it. Yeah, I would say Duke or I like the point you made about about Tatum and his durability. I saw that clip going around social media while I was traveling this weekend, and I'm so glad you emphasized that, because that, to me, is becoming such an underrated element in this era as everyone's trying to grind through the regular season and all these teams are so good, you know. I look. I was listening to Pete and Darius from Laker Film Room while I was on my plane today and they were talking about last week's games, and they were talking about how in the future as the Lakers are planning for what they're going to be doing. They need to bank on, you know, Lebron and Luca both missing twenty games. Yes, And when they said that, I was sitting there thinking, I was like, it's insane that, Like Luca is going to be twenty six next year, and we it feels like a safe bet that he's going to miss somewhere between fifteen and twenty games, like that's a fourth of the season and that, and it makes it so much harder night in and night out. I mean, look at the injuries in the way the Lakers spiraled under the injuries to their front court over the last couple of weeks. And so again when you're looking at Tatum, I think Jokich is another great example of this. I think Shake Gilders Alexander is another example of this. The dudes where you can book them for seventy five plus games, they just give you such a high floor as you go through the regular season, and I think it is definitely an underrated trade. But I've enjoyed watching the college hoops, you know, in the casinos and stuff as I'm walking around Vegas this last weekend. The intensity is just another level. You mentioned it as like a breeding ground for like big personalities in the NBA. I also just think of it as just a great place for a basketball player to develop. You know, one of the things we talked about the playoffs is like, oh, the refs make it more physical. It's not that the players make it more physical. Everything's on the line. Finally, for eighty two games, they're just getting through it, and then you put the Larry O'Brien on the line and you have to win those games. They rotate, they're in help side defense, they're making all these efforts that are inconsistent in the regular season. You want to know why college basketball looks so ugly. Sometimes they're incredibly well coached and they play every possession like it's the last possession they're ever going to play. So you see these loaded up help side defenses, the rotations, there's everything that looks like in open three, the dude's sprinting at him like it's his final close out he's ever going to throw in his life. And I just think that's a great spot for a basketball player to learn how to process information and make reads and re see the floor. How are they sped up or can they slow down? And thrive in that environment. For the record, like Cooper's just thriving, Like that's a good Arizona defense. That was throwing the kitchen sink at him and he was cooking them. And I just think I think it's a great I think it's just a great part, a fundamental part of basketball player development. And that's why I would like to see that maintained over the years.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean as a parent my kids going to college, I said, guys, I don't you're both great students. You got some scholarship money. I don't care if you're be students in college. Like high school's weirdly more important than college. You have to get into college, I said. Once you get to college, go to a party, you know, you have friends sleep in. I'm like, you know, it's so I feel like like college for players for a year or two, it's like that you're gonna you're gonna you're gonna connect with people you would have never met anywhere else in the world. You're gonna have a couple of international guys. You know, you're gonna have a couple seniors. Somebody on the coaching staff's gonna yell at you. It's it's you know, the G League. Everybody's going in the same direction. There's guys on even like Kentucky's college team, they're not playing they're going international, they're not playing in the pros. So I just I love the idea for a couple of years. I just think college was so valuable for me, and I love to see high school players. Nothing against Jalen Green's journey, but I love the idea of going to college for Cooper Flag And it's just like, you know, you're part of something like your Duke basketball, You're part of something you know you go play for, you know, the El Segundo G League team that's basically that's an apartment called complex. Everybody's trying to get out of it as fast as they can, right whereas college is a little bit more like a house, like for a lot of players, you know, they get to Duke and.
Speaker 2: I don't want to leave.
Speaker 1: They're not playing in the NBA many this is a home in a neighborhood, in a community. So I just I've always loved college basketball. It's a little bit of a turnstyle now, so it's harder to follow than the NBA. You can't, you know, except for a Duke or an Auburn. It's hard for me to name multiple players. I do want to talk about something though, about you know that there was a comment I thought was interesting. Lebron was on a podcast or a show and he talked about, you know, Jannis would have scored two hundred and fifty.
Speaker 2: Points back in the seventies.
Speaker 1: And I laughed because I thought, no, because they'd found him and he can't hit free throws, so it wouldn't work. But you know, it's interesting because I grew up with the seventies basketball and I loved it, and I do think sometimes, you know, the players set in nineteen seventy three have grown half an inch. The NBA was big and athletic then. Now nutrition's better, travels better, But it was I didn't love Lebron saying that I was like Lebron. Wilt and Jerry West played in the seventies, Doctor j played in the seventies. Bill Walton played in the seventies. I don't know why it didn't bother me, but it was one of those I heard it and I thought, no, honest, now, you honest man have averaged forty but he can't shoot like he can't shoot. What did you make of that comment and your thoughts about generational comparisons.
Speaker 3: Well, that for that exact reason, like you mentioned the size, if it was not just size back then, spacing was poor back then, and in general, like Giannis would have been running into a lot of bodies. That said, I firmly believe Jianness would average forty forty five if you played in that era, just simply because it would be like a man amongst boys in terms of the athletes that he'd be competing with. I just a couple things. I don't see any point in comparing era to era in general. I mean, like we talked about the seventies like it was not that long as fifty years ago now like it's a half century ago. And in general, there's just been so many changes schematically, there's been so many changes in player development and the skill. Like you know, what's always so funny to me when you go back and you watch basketball players in the sixties and seventies, the jump shots are all weird looking. And one of the reasons why the jump shots are all weird looking is they didn't get to go on YouTube or go turn on the TV and watch their favorite players play when they were kids. They taught themselves out of shoot. Everyone today kind of shoots more or less the same type of jump shot, and yeah, some people look weird, but most people should shoot the same.
Speaker 1: Sort of The shame of golf swings, by the way, the unique golf swing is over.
Speaker 3: Exactly because now it's been optimized. We've optimized it. Now you reach your hand in to the cookie jar, you start from the legs. No wasted motion. We don't want to hitch in the shot, you know. And so it's one of those things where like we've just perfected this sport in so many different ways, and you know, one of the things that I disc like about it, and it kind of goes back to what we talked about when we were talking about Stephen A. Smith a couple of weeks ago. But when you I don't believe in stooping down to that level you, by the way, are you have a saying that you've used over the years that I've loved You said, I can have an opinion, and you can have an opinion on my opinion. I don't need to have an opinion on your opinion of my opinion, which, by the way, is like a foundational thing that I lean on what I'm doing, what I do too, And like one of the big things that I look at there is like, Okay, Lebron, you're playing basketball. Okay, these old guys are trashing your era. What good does it do to then step in and then be disrespectful to their era? That doesn't serve a purpose. In my opinion, it kind of is it's stooping to that level. It doesn't forward the conversation. And like from that same point, I feel like Lebron is just shouldn't be the guy sending that type of message that he's trying to send. That said, like, I think in general, Lebron's just sick and tired of getting criticized by like the MJ clan, the throwback like the old League was better type of clan. And I think he's just sick of it, and I think he's acting out.
Speaker 1: When it comes to college basketball in March Mania, one thing's for sure, nothing is for sure, doesn't matter, buzzer beaters, Cinderella's advancing upsets, It's all gonna happen. Bet the unexpected, every upset every day with DraftKings Sportsbook, Live Betting exclusive content promos, parlays. DraftKings the ultimate college basketball destination for March. If you're a first timer, here's something cool, something special, just for you. Five bucks. New Draft Kings customers bet five bucks and you'll get two hundred instantly in bonus bets.
Speaker 2: How about that?
Speaker 1: Download the DraftKings Sports Book app ninety seconds use my name the code Colins cli n New customers two hundred bucks and bonus bets betting just five bucks only on DraftKings.
Speaker 2: The Crown is yours.
Speaker 4: Gambling problem called one a tendred gambler in New York called eight seven seven eight hope and wire text hopin why four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut, help is available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of boothill Casina w in resorting Kansas twenty one and over. Agent eligibility varies by jurisdiction Voyd and Ontario. New customers only. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. Four additional terms and responsible gaming resources see dkang, dot co, slash audio.
Speaker 1: You Know it's I had a commentary this weekend that I do essays on Sundays most most Sundays, and we were talking about you know, lead management, overload management, and I like SGA and and Tatum they play the regular games. One of the things that I think is really interesting about Tatum and the Celtics.
Speaker 2: Is that.
Speaker 1: And I think this is this is rare. So when teams win a championship, so ok s in Houston and Cleveland. I mean, these teams are this is the old Derrick Rose Bulls. Like you get the when you get the combination of really good team playing hard, you know that you win the sixty games. I tell you, I watch Boston and they'll have a guy missing every night. Drew Holliday's got a bad finger, poor Zingis. I'm telling you, though, Jason, that team plays are oursof they play hard and they coach hard, like Missoula is still barking. It's very rare. Once you get the ring, generally you pull back. Everybody does rotational stuff like okay, it's your night, off your night off their depth, Peyton Pritcher. The other night, I'm watching howser jackup threes. I'm like Jesus Man Horford can still play. I said it last year and I'll say it again.
Speaker 2: I just I don't.
Speaker 1: Remember an NBA team that deep, like Denver a couple of years ago with their title, when they had everybody KCP Brown that team, You're like, Okay, they got eight dudes, I trust to hit a shot and then quickly, you know, quickly all the aprons they're moving off.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 1: I know everybody likes Cleveland, and okase, I don't think anybody beats Boston because there is no switch they need to click. They're intense. I mean, I'll watch them play. They will jump out to huge leads against the Knicks in the first quarter. They will go toe to toe. They'll go into a bad team and blow them out. It'll be forty twenty four early. Do you think they stumble? I mean, what is your take on them?
Speaker 3: So I think that they're vulnerable in the same way that everybody in the top tier is vulnerable. To a certain extent. Cleveland has started to show some limitations over the course of the last couple of weeks too. I don't think anybody's unbeatable, but I have never wavered from Boston as my favorite this year. You've been really keyed in on this lately, and I think it's really smart, which is that there is a difference between a rotation of a bunch of young twenty year olds navigating the NBA season versus a bunch of dudes in their late twenties and early thirties. It's a fundamental difference, and just the level of urgency every single day. I think there's the obvious talent conundrum they present to teams, which is they just have way more good players than most teams. But I also think that it's time that we acknowledge Boston organizationally, from the top down, is the most well run. Because yes, you've got willingness to spend, a front office led by Brad Stevens that is obsessed with finding guys that can dribble, shoot, pass, and defend. It's like a mandatory foursome for him to consider you as an investment for the franchise, a coaching staff that has built a drive and kick scheme, and really a culture that is all about pursuing the great shot over the good shot. And then you've got the players that are all bought into it. And so it's from the top down and one of the reasons why I think that's so impressive. One of the ways that manifested I thought was that ass kicking that they delivered the other night. Without Jason Tatum. You get a group of guys without Jason Tatum going on the road into Phoenix against a really good and a Sun's team that was playing good basketball, not a really good team. I watched that, but they were Yeah, they were like I think four and one in the previous five. The Suns are the classic like We're gonna try hard for a week or two, but then we realize we don't have enough horses, so we just let go the bro. But in that game, you can see them just playing a style of basketball which is like modern four out one in driving kickspacing basketball, which requires incrementally breaking down the defense. So Jalen Brown identifies where the advantages, kicks it to a guy who's open. Once that guy's open, his job is not to shoot necessarily. His job is to drive the clothes out to get past the guy going at him, draw another helper, and you incrementally break down the defense until you get these unbelievable wide open shots. And what was so funny about that game is it was almost like, oh, Tatum's out, We're not going to be able to lean on individual greatness as much tonight. Let's play Celtic's basketball. And that's the key. They have Celtics basketball separate from Jason Tatum. Jason Tatum fits into Celtic's basket ball and he makes it better. He's a force multiplier for Celtics basketball. But Celtics basketball is about an organizational approach, starting with Brad Stevens all the way down in the willingness to play for each other in a driving kick scheme, to get great shots, in the willingness to defend and all of that is part of what makes the Celtics the Celtics. And that's what you want to know why a team has sustained success, meaning the Celtics team that has been a threat in the Eastern Conference for my entire life as an adult, like dating back to before the Paul Pearson Kevin Garnett partnership with Ray Allen, so like, they have a culture that has been established and it's the only way to have sustain success in the NBA. I think it's super super impressive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, It's interesting. The other day I was saying about Okay, See, I'm like, I know they're gonna win into some series.
Speaker 2: I know they're really good.
Speaker 1: I'm not doubting that brilliant GM. I don't think SGA will quite get that whistle in the postseason, but he'll get a whistle if chet Holngren's healthy. They've got some offensive options. I do worry about their young players in big road games. You know, everything changes. No sport in our country changes more from regular season to postseason. I mean, I'm watching here today. You got to fight in the NBA Missa's coaches, and you're getting feisty now in playoff seating, and it's like it changes the game. It's an outside of the COVID year men win in the playoffs. Young men can do really well in the regular season. But the one thing about Oklahoma City, Tom Tolbert texted me when I was talking about him, he goes, they lead the NBA and assists, or they lead the NBA in creating turnovers, but have the fewest turnovers. They just are really really efficient. They don't turn it over and they force turnovers. Is there, like, I don't think Golden State could beat Okay See, I think Golden State would be Houston. I don't do Houston shootings better today than three months ago. I still don't trust them in a big playoffs spot. Oklahoma City to me is they're like Cleveland the last couple years. They're gonna win playoff series. They're just too good. They got too many good players, too good of a coach. Go deep dive on Oklahoma City. And because I look at them and I think they have two or three things that really matter.
Speaker 2: They're well coached.
Speaker 1: A dominant score so they know layden games in a playoff game, here's where the ball goes.
Speaker 2: That is so important.
Speaker 1: The great teams all have that. Denver had it with Jokic, and generally, like the Spurs, you'll have a second guy in Tony Parker. If Duncan gets doubled, it's great to have too. And if home Groun's healthy, I trust him at a big spot hitting a shot.
Speaker 2: He's a great player.
Speaker 1: So they have an identifiable star and a co star. They're well coached, they play real defense. They're not they're young, but they're not inexperienced like these guys have played in big colleges, big big moments. I think they're a Western Conference finals team.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: I mean, I would take the Lakers over them, and I don't feel like I'm being a homer. I would just take Lebron and Luca and the possessions and a half and a game. What do you think their journey looks like in the postseason.
Speaker 3: So their defense, I'm one hundred percent sold on will perform really well. The only team that I'm worried about them defensively against is the Lakers because Lebron and Luca attacking their smaller perimeter players. The Oklahoma City's defense is nearly perfectly constructed. They're incredibly fast on the perimeter, and Mark Daganol has built their scheme towards forward aggression and passing lanes to try to build to force turnovers. It's optimized towards the type of personnel they have. They also have rim protection in chet Holmgren, which is a very important part of success in the playoffs. And then they have a couple of different types of defenders that are especially valuable. So, for instance, Lou Dort is one of the very best guys in the league that you can throw against a big star forward and like, there's just so many of them in the Western conferen is. Whether it's Luca and Lebron, or it's literally Kawhi Leonard, or it's Kevin Durant, whoever it's your playing, there's all these star forwards. He's a great option. Isaia Hartenstein has kind of come to the surface as like a guy they use for the bigger power players, and he's had a lot of success either way.
Speaker 1: The Knicks have missed him defensively, no question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, his ability to defend in a bunch of different types of coverages, but specifically to handle the big, strong, bullyball types of players has been a huge asset to that Thunder defense. The only weakness I see in the Thunder defense is size as an aggregate thing, particularly on the perimeter, and it manifests in bad defensive rebounding, which has been a consistent thing they've struggled with over the years. And then that's where I can see some vulnerability where it's like, Okay, you put lou dord on Luca, great, who's guarding Lebron. There's just nobody else on the roster that can make Lebron feel really all that uncomfortable. So I think that's what we're saying. The offensive end is where I see some cracks in the armor, in the sense that they thrive in transition off the strength of their defense. But what happens if there's a team that takes really good care of the basketball and controls pace and keeps Okay see trapped in the half court and it's a big, high leverage playoff series where you need j Dubb and Chet and Dort and these guys to be effective offensively. And again, I want to be clear, I'm not trying to nitpick here because we are. I should be clear we are nitpicking here because this is the one seed in the Western Conference. As I agree with you, I would be stunned if they didn't make it to the conference finals. But in the conference finals context, if they faced a Denver or a Lakers, I think it's at least worth mentioning that those teams would be dramatically more experienced and dramatically bigger on the perimeter. One last thing I'll say about it, they do rely heavily on Shay Gilders Alexander pull up shooting when things go south for them offensively. In those situations, I like a team of a bunch of six' eight six y nine guys that have long arms to, contest and that's something WHERE i could see that being a valuable of. Value SO i think they deserve to be the. Favorite but, Yeah i'm with you to where like IF i saw The lakers in The thunder about to play in A Western conference, finals it'd be really hard for me to not pick A. A.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's interesting because The lakers are the rare team that doesn't have a dominant, center but they're actually big and. Long, Yeah ruey, Everywhere Jackson, hayes everybody's big and, long Even Austin reeves. Is and they're also very comfortable offensively with. Contact Austin, Lebron luca Like. Ruey they like. Contact they're a team that you could see in playoff games getting to the line a. Lot you know WHAT i found, Interesting And i've always Liked Austin. Reeves my argument is you can't win a championship if he's your. Two i'm not sure you. Can if he's a, three you're absolutely an excellent team if he's a. Four so he's a three on this. Team but it was interesting When luca. CAME i thought oh, boy is he gonna get as many. Touches it's weird The luca Because Luca's lebron's a great. Pastor luca is very good at getting the ball. Ahead SOMETIMES i think he does. It so this is my thing With. Luca SOMETIMES i think he's one of the Great he And, jokic they're great down the court, passers they are great. Quarterbacks Sometimes i'm, Like luca just doesn't want to defend These like you, Guys i'm gonna get the ball up the. Floor it's too far for me to lack this go, ahead take the. Play and that's my you, Know and that's kind of My luca criticism is that he's a defense is more of a hobby than it, is you, know a.
Speaker 2: Vocation But.
Speaker 1: Austin, reeves this has been the most impressive he's been to me BECAUSE i honestly think With Anthony davis sometimes there was a sense AND i could be wrong in, This, jason but there was a sense sometimes slow it, down we got a big let's use. Him this is an opportunity For lebron in this half court. Set let's get it To Anthony. Davis and With luca And, lebron the tempo feels like really plays Into austin's game Because austin's good pass story likes, contact he likes the, ball he can play off, ball he, moves AND i feel strangely THAT i Thought luca would be a net. NEGATIVE i feel like it Makes austin. Better it's almost like there's there are Times, luca especially after he set a couple of, baskets not that he takes the total possession, off.
Speaker 2: But he likes. It he conserves.
Speaker 1: ENERGY i see that With lebron And lucas, Sometimes hey, kid this is this is your. Possession BUT i feel LIKE i this is the Best austin. Ipes i'm not sure if the efficiency ratings say, it BUT i feel like this is the most free he's.
Speaker 2: Played, no he's been.
Speaker 3: Excellent he's averaging in his last ten games over twenty seven points per game on over sixty seven percent true, shooting which is. Insane that's just field goal percentage waited for threes In for.
Speaker 1: Some of that is, mental like he feels like it's his, possession.
Speaker 3: Right, oh, absolutely there's there's a certain amount Of lebron's injury having been good for The lakers to help those guys get in a. Rhythm austin had been dealing with a calf injury IF i remember, correctly that he had just come back from and Then luca obviously had missed a good chunk of the, season and so both of those guys were a little out of rhythm in The celtics game in, particular Like austin And luca were both bad in The celtics game up until Like luca put up a big box, score but most of that was later in the. Game so like those, two When lebron was, out had an opportunity to really just get tons of touches and get their rhythm figured. Out and Till lebron's credit when he's come, back he hasn't really stepped on their. Toes and this is you, know we've talked a lot About Kevin durant being a plug and play, superstar AND i want to be, CLEAR i still think he's one of the very, best maybe the best plug in play star. Ever, Well, LEBRON i don't think it's enough credit for this in the sense that Like luca And austin come with their fair share of. Shortcomings Like austin's not a great, Athlete luca is a bad defensive. Player most of the, Time lebron is the guy that they can be, like, oh we need you to, run like run the offense in this. Stretch he can do, That, Hey austin's. COULD a great example of this was The pacers game When lebron hit the game winner in the second. Quarter lebron came out And austin was. Cooking austin was just frying everybody on The, pacers and so instead of co opting the, Offense lebron just set screens for him at the top of the key and played off Of austin and at the same, time like up before his, injury he was playing some of the best defense he had played in this late phase of his. Career he's basically taking all these elements of his game and picking and choosing how to plug them in into what the team needs in that particular. Game austin gets hurt in the second half of The pacers, game isn't out there in that fourth quarter, Stretch lebron needs to be a scorer. Again suddenly he goes out and, scores and he gets over ten points after he had three through the first three. Quarters like that's part Of lebron's versatility and how it fits into this. Picture the thing THAT i think is important to remember, too and this is one of the most common misconceptions about how we talk about star. Trades we, go, well there's only one, ball and the reality is is that basketball as a team sport against elite defense is about incrementally breaking down. Defenses like we were talking about With, Boston Austin, reeves when he catches the ball on the perimeter with the defender closing out at him and he looks to, score gets over one point three to five points per. Attempts that's sky, high meaning When austin's man helps On luca And lebron, Action austin is scoring almost every time in those. Situations the beauty of what makes The lakers so difficult to guard is that you can't really have enough resources to account for all of, them and inevitably one of them is going to get an, advantage And austin just does such an amazing job attacking with those. ADVANTAGES i think that there's no rhythm problem with those three. Guys any issues that we have with The, LAKERS i think should be centered around the defensive end of the. Floor rim, protection health things along those. LINES i am zero percent concerned About, Lebron luca And austin figuring out how to work together.
Speaker 4: Offensively the.
Speaker 2: Play in. TOURNAMENT i don't know if it's an, imperative.
Speaker 1: BUT i Think Golden state's better served not playing just because They you, know you want the fewest.
Speaker 2: Minutes But i'm gonna throw this at.
Speaker 1: You one of the Things i've talked about And i've text a few guys in THE nba about, this AND i Think Chris finch has talked about this and other players That european, players because it's all, academy come into THE nba more skilled and a lot of times more. Mature they've played against older, players the spotlight in their country has been on, them and they come in, like you, Know John moran And zion just weren't mature. Enough they were good, enough they weren't talented, enough they weren't quite mature.
Speaker 2: Enough and.
Speaker 1: Ready you don't see that with international. PLAYERS i mean sometimes they're. Boring they just come in and it's, basketball, sleep, basketball, sleep and you, know it's. Interesting this is not a maturity question With Jonathan, minga BUT i feel like If Jonathan kaminga would have come to us Via, europe he would have been more skilled. Early every TIME i Watched Jonathan kamena and you may have said, THIS i think you may have said, this And i'm digesting and consuming a lot OF nba comment common you, know content is that WHEN i watch The, Warriors i'm often left, Thinking, OKAY i Like cominga's length and, ACCELERATION i like his.
Speaker 2: Ability what is he great? At AND i Think.
Speaker 1: European players come to the league and you can see very, quickly, oh they're really good at, that and they're nineteen to. Twenty Cooper flagg is the rare college player where you're, like, man he's close to being great at a couple of.
Speaker 2: Things he's not there.
Speaker 1: YET i mean started the year he was seventeen At, duke AND i Watched coming And i'm, LIKE i wouldn't Trust coming in a playoff series IF i needed, HIM i just. Wouldn't AND i think key to me is the classic domestic player, issue which is we all know he's, long, athletic he works, Hard he's gotten, better SO i know it's don a work ethic Thing. Jason he, gets he gets incrementally better every. Year what is he as a? Player CAN i trust him in a big series Against, okay seeing IF i can trust him to do?
Speaker 3: WHAT i don't trust. HIM i don't think The warriors trust. HIM i think he's gonna GET i think he's gonna get some dnps when we get into the. POSTSEASON i think that's on the. TABLE i don't think he'll be like a game one. THING i think they'll throw him out there and see how he, does because he has enough of an athletic upside to, where, LIKE i, mean you could throw him out there In game one in a late first quarter stretch and he could get eight points in three. Minutes you, Know like he's got quite short. Upside SO i THINK i Think Steve kerr will try. Him BUT i think there's a chance that you, see like a game four series two to, One Golden state needs one that you get A dnp from, Commandity.
Speaker 2: Jason it's year. Four you can't have.
Speaker 3: That on one, LEVEL i feel bad for him because two weeks before the trade, deadline it looked like The warriors might not do, anything and it was like here's your, Chance, kaminga like we're about to go the other way and like move on to the next. Era you're gonna get the, Keys you're gonna get all this. Opportunity, nope they make The jimmy, trade and to make matters, worse While Jonathan kaminga is, out they win a bunch of. Games so now it's like we are dead serious championship. Contending steph's now saying in pressers like we got these these two, years this, year next, year last chance to make all this, happen and suddenly it goes from it was the perfect situation For kamana to learn how to play to this is now the worst possible situation because part of The Jimmy butler trade was clearing out the. Rotation The warriors had like fifteen dudes they could. Play now they have ten or. Eleven and so as a result of, that like all these crystallized roles, appeared Like Gary payton And Brandon. Pajemski is that two next To steph Or Moses moody as the guy who's taken on The wigans role of guarding the other team's best players spotting up in the. Corner kaminga has immediately when he came, back had a zero percent chance of Taking moody starting. Spot moody was crushing in that. Role they weren't gonna move. It so now it becomes you've got to be a bench player in this context on this. Team and to your point about his, traits he does have an elite, trait which, is if he gets a, runway he is a truly transcendently great athlete at the. Rim there is a certain amount of big picture potential for him as like AN iso post player because some guys can't keep him in. Front he's good at getting to the foul. Line there are a couple things that he does well that project for him when he's like twenty seven to twenty eight to thirty whatever result to be a decent, player but in this, team on This warrior's, team Alongside, Steph draymond And, jimmy you have to be elite at one of two things to be able to be on the floor with, them shooting the basketball or playing read and, react like mental processing of the. Game, yeah and he's terrible at, both and that's a death sentence for him in this particular. Environment so he basically gets to be like every other ninth or tenth man in a playoff, rotation which is we're going to toss you out there early in the series and see if you've got a couple matchups you can capitalize. On but if, not we're punting on, you and it's going to. Be for, instance LIKE i Think Steve kerr would trust A GhIE santos as a forward who will knock down and, shots make reads in the, offense play defense and. REBOUND i think he trusts him more in a big spot than he DOES.
Speaker 1: Kaminga, yeah with international players you sense very early what they're very good. At they usually come in they're very good, shooters ball handlers and.
Speaker 2: Passers you.
Speaker 1: Know, defensively it's real hit and miss with international. Players, frankly it's hit and miss with. Everybody, defensively some guys just young are great at, yeah great, early yeah and. So BUT i Watched kaming AND i think he is a part of THE aau domestic, issue which, is, yeah he's, long, twitchy. Athletic you give, him you give him a little space driving to the. Rim it's a poster just get out of the. Way but that team has so many defined. PLAYERS i, Mean i'll Give POD's. Credit when he came, IN i knew immediately what he did he'd been in college ENOUGH i knew immediately what he. Was i'm sitting here here FOUR i think it is with coming And i'm, like you don't have a stock. MOVE i don't really know what you. Are AND i think you documented it, well like the two things they. Demand you, know D'Angelo russell's another guy in that. System like he just didn't read and react. Well it was, like, yeah too, scurely this isn't gonna work at. All so that, SYSTEM i think you. Know and you see this a lot of times in THE nfl where there are certain. Systems they ask a lot of their players like if you can't adapt, quickly they're not real. Patient New england was that, Way like they gave you about a.
Speaker 2: Year in the.
Speaker 1: System by year, two they're not playing. Around if you can't figure out some of the offensive stuff With, tom they Just tom wouldn't throw you the. Ball and it was over year, two trade.
Speaker 2: Deadline it was.
Speaker 1: Over and now for our next, Segment Whiskey, business brought to you By Green River, whiskey the official whiskey of.
Speaker 2: The Colin Cowhard.
Speaker 1: Podcast if you want to enjoy life simple, pleasures reach For Green River. Whiskey whether It's Rye, whiskey single barrel. Bourbon you're getting over a century a craftsmanship packed into every. Bottle hop on over To greenriverwhiskey dot com and discover a legend in a Bottle. Today this part of the, SEASON i think The lakers.
Speaker 2: Have what is, it eight games, left eight or nine games left in the regular.
Speaker 1: Season lebron obviously has come back off the growing. Tweak he's there feels like it's it's he's just kind of waiting for the. PLAYOFFS i get. It there was a honeymoon period With. LUCA i kind of look at one of the things that disappointed me With. Luca not That i'm a critic of, it BECAUSE i Think, dallas, though is going to be really good next year when everybody's. HEALTHY i really like their center. ROTATION i just think they have now they need another shot, initiator another shot creator Beyond. Kyrie it kind of feels like they're a little light. There but When lebron, LEFT Jj reddick and a couple of different occasions, said, yeah we just didn't communicate at, All AND i was, like you never hear that When lebron plays, like.
Speaker 2: You never ever hear.
Speaker 1: That AND i and as much AS i Like, LUCA i understand scoring is the key to the. Game but if we sort of because his. Game he was so brilliant early and he is so great at the most aesthetically pleasing part of. Basketball he's not in great. Shape he doesn't DEFEND. Jj reddick has made more than one comment on lack of. Communication the team got blown out several times When lebron was out And luca And austin were. Playing they're parts of me that think we've become so fascinated by what he can. Do but here's forty year Old lebron and he still is the soul of the. Team and first of, all it speaks to What lebron's. Legacy it's it's insane what he's.
Speaker 2: Doing And i'm.
Speaker 1: Not being a Critical, luca BUT i you, KNOW i said when he first got in, here he's a much Better Carmelo. Anthony NOW i think he's a better passer Than. Carmelo do you look at him with rose colored glasses or do you now that you're seeing every minute of his, game do you see little holes that frustrate?
Speaker 3: You so you, KNOW i think rooting for a player as someone who roots for The lakers is like the best way to truly learn about a. Player and it's been funny because there have been certain things that have been reinforced for me About luca after watching, him and then there are certain things That i've changed my perspective on in the sense, that LIKE i used to be kind of similar to, you WHERE i kind of viewed his, heliocentric try to do everything kind of style offensively as something that had some. DRAWBACKS i now view that entirely. Differently lucas just an incredible offensive, player like just a remarkable offensive, player and his ability to consistently compromise the defense and generate these wide open catch and shoot situations that guys can either drive or shoot out of it is truly, remarkable and it's like a. Superpower and it's like unlike Anything i've watched from a perimeter player in my time covering the. League like his ability to prey pressure the rim from the perimeter, relentlessly regardless of the type of defender that's on, him regardless of the type of, scheme is a. SUPERPOWER i think you're absolutely right That lebron is the soul of the. TEAM i think a lot of it stems from the fact That luca doesn't really have a massive leadership type of, personality which is, funny Doesn't it just. Doesn't lebron can fill that. Role to, Me lebron is that. Guy AND i thought the biggest way you saw that it was on, Defense like When lebron went, down the defense cratered just completely. Graded and by the, way a good chunk of that initial struggle they had When lebron came back was for that. Reason lebron came back and you could Tell lebron was not quite getting the motor, running you know WHAT i. Mean and there's a certain amount of that WHERE i Think lebron's like that just tweaked my. Groin these guys need me to Be draymond in the, playoffs so it's most important for me to get from here To april eighteenth in one. Piece AND i think that's the Way lebron's looking at. It but there's no doubt That lebron is like the personality leader of the, team But luke is the. Firepower it's like watching The lakers over the last few, years there was just this lack of consistent like when you watch one of the best basketball players in the world really inflict himself on a. Game it's unlike anything you see in sports when you Watch jokic take over a, game when you watch Prime lebron take over a, Game luca take over a. Game they can one player on a court of ten can strangle the game and change it. Completely and, Like i've Seen luca do that so many times since he's come to THE la that, Like i've grown to appreciate That luca's style might look, different but it's. Powerful. Unoffereday on, defense he was embarrassingly bad in The celtics. Series he's been good at times a lot of times with The, lakers but The pacers, game for, instance like just wasn't sliding his feet on the ball and just gave up drive drive drive To andrenamhard And Tyris alburn cost him a game towards down the. Stretch my thing With luca is to me that defense piece is a prerequisite to him getting to where he wants to. Go, LIKE i don't think he'll ever accomplish what he wants to accomplish until he ties that piece. Together there's a certain level of commitment on that end that he. Needs BUT I i having rooted for him over the last couple of, months Like i'm a truther when it comes to him on the offensive end of the, floor like he just is an indomitable force that generates great shots every single time down the. Floor when they Beat, indy there was a stretch down the end of the game Where indy was trying so hard to get a stop and they literally couldn't stop The lakers from getting a completely uncontested three for a good shooter every single time down the. Floor AND i was, like this is. Remarkable this is clutch. Time this is they're trying on, defense they're game planning on, defense and they literally can't stop The lakers from getting a butt, naked wide open, three and like, that that to me is just a superpower that he. Has not many players in the league can.
Speaker 2: Match you.
Speaker 1: KNOW i want to wrap it with this BECAUSE i thought it was a really interesting. TOPIC i Had Rachel nichols, on AND i Think Adam silver is a good. COMMISSIONER i thought WHEN i had him, ON i thought he overreacted a little To Kevin durant to The. Warriors and my take, is, Well otani came to The. Dodgers it's been great For, otani great for The, dodgers great For, fox great for. Baseball people like, trades people like stars and big. Brands Harbottom michigan.
Speaker 2: There was no.
Speaker 1: Downside, yeah, Yeah michigan was going to throttle people and you'd have more blowouts than The big. Ten so what and so they overreacted and they you, know they've now created this environment where you, know eight, rooms it's.
Speaker 2: Hard it's, like you. Can't you'll never.
Speaker 1: Duplicate unless you hit on every draft pick for four, years you'll never duplicate The celtics.
Speaker 2: Roster, like it's just you.
Speaker 1: Can't you can't have eight good. Players it doesn't work that. Way and my take is people like, trades they don't mind. Dynasties And Kevin durant was bound to not get along With Draymond.
Speaker 2: Green so it wasn't going to be an eight year. Run it was three.
Speaker 1: Years they wore each other, outs it Was shaq And. Kobe it was bound not to work.
Speaker 2: Forever But.
Speaker 1: I've talked about this, before is that there are certain unsolvable. Things you can go to a. THERAPIST i can go to a. Therapist there's a basic foundational PERSONALITY i have based on my childhood that you're not going to. CHANGE i can get, better BUT i am WHAT i am and, saying you, know change is hard when you want help and want to, change it's impossible if you. Don't so we are kind of at our core sort of what we. Are AND i think there are certain things you can't get away from the violence in football OR. Ufc you can't get away from the lack of urgency in, baseball AND i don't think you can avoid tanking because and the reason being is because in, basketball and this is not true with other. Sports in, basketball you could identify at thirteen years Old Kobe Lebron. Wemby The spurs went on a three year mission to Get. Wemby they saw that that's that's not the way it.
Speaker 2: Works in.
Speaker 1: Football Lamar, jackson we were arguing after he was, drafted can he play? Quarterback you, Know mahomes couldn't win in. College Josh allen is overrated and wild in basketball men and. Women freshman year in high, school it's defined that player is different That yukon girl that dominates sixth grade. Basketball it's, like, oh that's the best sixth grade basketball player we've ever. Seen so and my take is basketball the ability to spot transformational talent so. Early it's not a singular year. Tank people see. It they don't have to re sign, players they can move off players that THE nba should just Be, like, listen if if there's a great player every year and a different team gets the great, player it's unavoidable and it's not terrible for the. League Like Cooper flag probably Save. CHARLOTTE i mean, literally if he goes, there it's, like, okay, Now LaMelo, Ball Cooper, fly that's, Watch like that's a watch on. Television my take is THE nba spends so much time paralyzed by tanking and. Trades it's like football. Violens just just do the best you.
Speaker 2: Can you can't avoid. It what say? You?
Speaker 3: YEAH i LIKE i like that you you say it's an unavoidable piece of. It i'd say the same thing about the super teams and the willingness of players to try to partner up in a one team becoming so powerful that they present a talent mismatch to everyone in. League to your point About, boston like this is POST kd And. Steph it happened, again and you know how it. Happened the league at large Undervalued Drew holiday and chrisops porzingis that's not On Brad. Stevens that's Not Brad stevens'. Fault that's the other twenty nine GM's fault that they were, like Sure brad wants to pay For Chris tops let. Him well, okay well now he's a. Problem, Okay so it's like now they have five thirty million dollars. Players AND i also just generally think, that, LIKE i mean to your point that there's there's five six teams this year that have a really good chance to, win even With boston being the way that they, Are so, LIKE i don't THINK i think it makes for interesting storylines as far as the tanking piece. Goes it's even more unavoidable when you factor in just basic, stuff which is, like if it's games sixty five and we don't have a chance to make it to the, PLAYOFFS i shouldn't be playing my. VETS i should be playing my young. Players so different than if you're, like, hey you know, WHAT i don't need to See Andy dalton start in week. Fifteen i'd rather see my third round pick get a chance to go out there and see what he can. Do let him get the, reps let him learn how to, play and so at a certain, point like even if you disincentivized it through the, draft you would never be able to stop a team from looking at the situation and, going this season's, over we need to give our young guys the, keys and that's going to lead to a lesser basketball. PRODUCT i would say that generally, speaking the basketball guys will reward the teams and the franchises that play serious, basketball meaning like you'll See okac did this a couple of years, ago where it's like they're playing their younger, players they're load Managing, shay but they're also teaching those kids to play damn good.
Speaker 2: Basketball, Hey chicago right now is Playing that is a.
Speaker 3: Foundation What chicago is doing right now is a foundational part to any hope they have of being good in the. Future if you practice playing bad, basketball you'll be a bad basketball. Team and so the WAY i look at it is, like to your, point you'll never be able to stop tanking because it's it's impossible to stop teams from even prioritizing younger players. Minutes but, inevitably organizations behaving like losers tend to remain. Losers in organizations like here go The kings. Again they had that one. Season but it's like it turns out that even a really good year From Dearreon fox and uh and From Malik monk and From Demonas sabonis is not enough to overcome organizational. Incompetence, like at the end of the, day you can't stop bad from being, Bad so stop trying to legislate it. Out if that makes.
Speaker 1: Sense, YEAH i MEAN i look at teams Like utah AND i know their record isn't, good BUT i love THEIR. GM i think they have an excellent young coach and they play. Hard, yeah and they're just gonna get better with all those draft. Picks they're probably three years Behind. Oka, see so if they Land Cooper, flag AND i think they have the best percentage now they're. Tied If utah Got Cooper, flag that's a playoff team potentially in a year like that's a really good basketball team, obviously If wemby got him In San. Antonio but it's LIKE i look at it AND i think If washington Got Cooper, FLAG i feel so bad For Cooper. Flag If utah Got Cooper, flag to your, Point i'd be like that kid hit a home.
Speaker 2: Run he's gonna do, really really. Well no immediate.
Speaker 1: Pressure Danny, ainge great young, coach nice little supporting. Players they just.
Speaker 2: Don't have a guy For kessler.
Speaker 3: Too he'd be so.
Speaker 1: Good, Yeah Walker kessler is really a nice. Player in, fact The lakers were interested in.
Speaker 3: Him if they would have got, HIM i would have been talking very reckless on your Show.
Speaker 2: College he's a good, player all.
Speaker 1: Right Jason timpf hoops. Tonight good fifty minutes of basketball. Talk thanks, buddy.
Speaker 3: It was good to see. You until next.
Speaker 2: Time the volume