Speaker 1: You're listening to I Choose Me with Jenny Garland. All righty, welcome back to I Choose Me, my conversation with Chrissy Metz. She has so many amazing things going on in her life, so many things that she has learned. Let's get back to it. I mean, you've changed a lot of people's lives just by being you and authentic and putting yourself out there and being vulnerable. And that's so beautiful to see. I know that a lot of people watch you know your health journey and how you take care of yourself. Is there anything like you can share with our listeners. Do you meal prep well? No?
Speaker 2: I always no. No. If you want to know information about losing weight meal prep, ask somebody who's plus sized or been plus size, because.
Speaker 1: We know it all all. Yeah, we know it all.
Speaker 2: Because we've tried it all. Like I literally have. Was in Weight Watchers when I was like what eleven?
Speaker 1: Like, oh, I hate it. The points. I could never keep track of my points.
Speaker 2: I was like, how much diet cherry soda do I have to drink in order to feel full? So I don't want to use another point. It's ridiculous, And that's you know, having that different relationship with food has helped because I vilified it for so long. But for me, I think meal prepping can be helpful. But sometimes I'm like, I do not want to heat up another meal in the.
Speaker 1: Look that look the same as the last meal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm like, okay, So it's helpful when I'm at home, you know, in between jobs where I will cook. I mean before I didn't even use to cook for myself. I'm like, oh, I can't be bothered, and now I'm like, oh no, Like I cook it the way I want it, and I enjoy it and then I'm good. But there's it's a whole different thing I started, you know, this whole like perimenopausal situation. We were not my mom said nothing about no.
Speaker 1: I didn't get anything either. Wait, so are you perry right now?
Speaker 2: I think it's hard to know, yes, And that's another thing is it's hard to know, but like there seems to be some symptoms that I'm like, oh, so I'm going to do like one of those Dutch tests, those like have you heard about these?
Speaker 1: What's a Dutch test?
Speaker 2: Well? I think it's like I think the U stands for urine, so I think it's like a pen test that you can do it different doctor's offices. I think they have stuff that's mailing, but you basically sort of get like a hormone panel of what's going on. So I'm like, okay, I'll start there because not just power. And I'm just like, yeah, I definitely know that I'm feeling different, and I'm about to be forty five, So I'm like, okay, like these this is what happens, and whether our parents just didn't have the time to worry about it, and they're like, we, you know, my mom was just trying to pay the bills. Yeah, but like there's there are things going on, you know.
Speaker 1: Or I always think that too, like maybe maybe they they were obviously going through it and we were there, yeah, and we didn't know or notice that Mom's over there sweating and red faced, right for absolutely no reason, right, Like we were like whatever, she's fine.
Speaker 2: Or stressed, and she couldn't even have a moment to herself, you know, I know, I know, I know. So anyway, I am. I basically like discovered that for me, buying the food that I like is helpful and knowing that like it doesn't have to be a punishment, you know, but eating less of it. And now there are foods that I can't even eat that I'm like, oh, it just makes they make me feel too poorly, so I can't.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's good, that's good. Yeah, rule out the dairy, rule out the things that don't agree with you, because that does help a lot.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I just I just have done a lot of trial and error and a lot of troubleshooting, and that's that's helpful for me. And I do weight training good.
Speaker 1: That's like the number one thing you can do is if you know that you're probably going into menopause, perimenopause or whatever.
Speaker 2: This is what I've heard.
Speaker 1: That's what they've said. And i'd heard it. You know, everyone's really really talking about that now, and i'd heard it like five maybe four years before it was this huge discussion. And I really noticed such a difference in just my quality of life once I started using some free weights, like lifting some weights.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I've always been like a sturdy girl, like I I love sports, and what I'm discovering like going to the gym AND's like.
Speaker 1: Oh oh I like this, Oh no, no, don't say that.
Speaker 2: I'm like, wait, a stay. Who is this lady? So if that's been really cool to discover too, because it.
Speaker 1: Feels different because you're exercising for your health now, yes, and for your happiness and not for your appearance or for your insecurities.
Speaker 2: Right, or for someone else, but for myself. I've done so much of so much in my life for everybody else. But yeah, those things have been really helpful. And also again like the mental emotional has to go with the physical for me.
Speaker 1: So yeah, okay, so aside from food, Like, what other things do you choose to help yourself thrive? You said meditation?
Speaker 2: Yes, meditation. I do a gratitude list before I even get out of bed in the morning. I really try not to even look at an email the phone before I do at least thirty minutes of meditation. And I love a nice bath like that. Honestly, it is such a treat. I love it. I feel so fortunate, like to take a bath.
Speaker 1: I know, well because yeah, it's a luxury, that very privileged to be able to put a tub full of water. Yes, yes, have that opportunity, yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: So those things and then being of service where I can that always helps me, whether it's like within my family or my friends.
Speaker 1: Or the world, like you're yeah.
Speaker 2: That's it. It's been very rewarding for sure. Mm hmm, yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean your your children's books are acts of service. Oh, your music is acts of service. Just sharing your personal journey is an act of service. Who thought? Who would have thought? Like for me, that didn't connect because I've always been a really private person and I've always walked around with my eyes down just I don't I don't want to engage. I don't want to connect with people because I don't know if it's safe, and I just was never comfortable doing that. Once I started to kind of like lift my gaze up and look around and identify the fact that everybody is going through the same thing I'm going through, it just looks different for them. Yes, yes, yes, yeah, it's like a feeling of connection with the world that i'd never really had before.
Speaker 2: I always wanted, like I was afraid to be too vulnerable because I'm like, oh, no, you're gonna have something over me, or you're gonna hurt me, or you're gonna think I'm less than And it's really the contrary.
Speaker 1: So yeah, tell me what's next for you?
Speaker 2: Well, I just started shooting this Apple show.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right. Wait wait Leave Shreiber.
Speaker 2: Yes, the end and Stephen Green Okay.
Speaker 1: I think Leave Schreiber is so hot.
Speaker 2: He is. I was so scared. I was like, oh my gosh, I'm so scared. I'm gonna be so intimidated. And I see, all you have to do is be prepared. Okay, Like that's all you have to do is do your job. And he could not have been more kind, more sweet. His wife and his daughter came to set, and she's adorable. Like it's funny that you think of a person one way and then you meet them you're.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, they're just normal.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, so that's been really I mean it's a it's a dark story based.
Speaker 1: On another one. Okay, I know, Oh it's darker. Really this is even darker. But oh I love that for you, Like what challenging media roles.
Speaker 2: How grateful? I mean again, we just want to have a job and for it to be challenging or to work with. I mean I always want to work with Steven Graham. I just think he's amazing and Leah like I never who who would have thought?
Speaker 1: So? Yeah, that's so cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we're doing in Pittsburgh, and I guess to use I've been working on my Pittsburgh Geese accent.
Speaker 1: Which is give me a little, give me a little, you.
Speaker 2: Know, like they would say like instead of pool, they'll say pool, like are we gonna go out to swim in the pool?
Speaker 1: WHOA Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Or they'll say like pneumonia instead of pneumonia.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's from Scott's Irish. It's like a very interesting mix of it's hard, like it's really different, but it's cool and it's funny because Leev has a Philly accent in the show. And then Timothy Van Patten, who was directing our first block, is from Brooklyn. And then here I am with my Pittsburgh I was like, oh, my brain is like but but it's cool because you get to challenge yourself so and also honor the working class people of Pittsburgh, which is so cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I haven't hung out in Pittsburgh a lot, so but like that, I've heard that it's it's kind of popping.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really cool. There's so much art, there's so much theater, there's a museums. The architecture is beautiful. It actually was like more of the main hub before Manhattan, before like New York sort of started popping off. So there's this one strip of the most beautiful architecture. I'm like, what, Yeah, don't sleep on Pittsburgh out.
Speaker 1: No, It's like, yeah, I want to check it out. Well, so okay, that's going to be cool though, that the show is going to be set there. I like that, And that's I mean, your your plate is full and there's so much to be grateful for. I feel so grateful for you.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Yeah, I'm you know, trying to work on my own music and just trying to develop and creative and you produce something at some point, so you know.
Speaker 1: Just the limit try this guy is Somebody told me that once and it has stuck with me in such a profound way. I say it all the time.
Speaker 2: I love that, Like it's true. I think we always think like, oh no, I shouldn't be ambitious, I shouldn't want more generally, Yeah, but it's.
Speaker 1: It's okay to want to be great, to want to be better, to want to be bigger, Like it's it's yeah, it's an important message, and I'm excited that people are catching on to that. Do you I have one more question. Well, actually too. When we talk about the philosophy of I choose me, sometimes people can imagine that to be a selfish act. Yes, how do you balance taking yourself aside and choosing yourself and making sure that it is understood that that's not your goal. I mean, clearly you're not a selfish person. You put your people.
Speaker 2: Pleaser said, yeah, right, But in turn that means I'm selfish. So I think it goes back to like, I can't manage people's feelings and responses to what I do, but I know that I have to put myself first because if I don't know how to as rue Paul always says, if you can love yourself, how that you don't love somebody else? I know, we love. It's just so it seems so simple and it's so easy to say, but it's true. And it's taken me a long time to realize that, Like, if I'm not doing what I know I should be doing, it's going to make me feel good or make me love myself, do and say and make decisions that are only going to just compound the issue.
Speaker 1: You know, it's hard to learn that. It's hard.
Speaker 2: We're not taught that it's not cultivated because it's like you're selfish, right, but like you have selfish like you you really And I think selfish gets a bad rap because the connotation that it comes with, But it's not, you know, like it's.
Speaker 1: Just yeah, yeah, we have to take care of ourselves or I mean, what's the alternative?
Speaker 2: Right? We don't how core of our dogs, our beautiful children, our families if we can't take care.
Speaker 1: Of well, I have one last question, Chrissy Mets before I let you go. What was your last I choose me moment?
Speaker 2: Oh oh oh, it.
Speaker 1: Could be today, it could be yesterday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, for sure. I think it was getting up and going to the gym, right, Like I chose that, like I didn't want to afterward, but starting the day, that is a little in my little bank, my confidence bank, or my choosing myself bank, for sure, take a little.
Speaker 1: Of How do you do that? When you're working all the time. It's you know, I hear people that get up at four am, five am. Well, I'm I'm like what.
Speaker 2: But you know, what's weird? I had no qualms about getting up a four am to go to set, So okay, so what Okay, is it because like I can do it for the people, why can't do it for myself?
Speaker 1: You're doing You're doing it because that's your job, right, But taking care of yourself is our job. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I had to really shift that perspective. I was like, oh no, like Christy and and as we know, like spending eighteen hours on the set, you've got to be in somewhat sort of shape for the endurance to you know, a long day and depending on what you're doing as well. Yeah, so I think for today, like that was certainly something I started my day with and it sets the tone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it definitely like revs yep for the rest of your day.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I love that feeling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know. I'm like, okay, okay, okay, she did it.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think you're awesome. I'm just really excited to meet you today and talk to you. I really enjoyed it you too.
Speaker 2: Thank you for your time and to chat and think such a great listener, Like I know, as a host you have to be, but people aren't. And I really don't know how to land the plane sometimes, so I really appreciate you.
Speaker 1: No, I understand I've been in your position.
Speaker 2: I get it again. Okay, all right, well, enjoy the show.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I definitely will keep up the good work. You're doing great.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Okay, take care, Bye bye, Chrissy,