Speaker 1: That's okay, because no one here is.
Speaker 2: It's time once again for Team Beat, the show where I Danielle Fischl, a podcaster, TV director, eighth place ballroom dancer, mom of two, and former child actor, finally get a little payback for sharing my own teenage years with millions of viewers every week by convincing other celebrities to spill their most vulnerable and awkward childhood memories. Every week, I am sitting with interesting people subjects you know and love, hoping I can coax them to open up about their younger selves, the cringe, the chaos, the deep embarrassing stuff, because I know firsthand that it's an entertaining way to reveal who they are today. Also, I just think it's the least they can do. I gave you my childhood, It's time we hear yours, and this week I'm talking to two men living their absolute best lives. As Synonymous with Boston as Blake Lively's accent in the town. He first burst onto the scene in the fourth season of Survivor, where he may have ranked tenth on the show, but he finished first in Our Hearts. Often referred to as the show's greatest player, he'd return for its eighth season, where he placed second, but also proposed to the woman who won, his now wife of twenty years, who he married in the Bahamas for a two hour special on CBS, so.
Speaker 3: Like no one really lost.
Speaker 2: He'd go on to participate in a record five seasons, taking home the grand prize on Survivor Redemption Island and creating a bevy of memorable TV appearances as the greatest reality show strategist of all time, hoping that one day he might just meet a young ninja looking for a master to lead him to sense status. And then Yoda found his Luke Skywalker on the third season of The Traders, where he met today's other special guest, a young heart throb who focused on a faceless career of TV production after watching his older brother skyrocket through the Disney Machine in the two thousands. But when the Daytime Emmy winning creator finally decided to step in front of the camera for Off the Grid, a YouTube series he did with his brother, everything changed. He found himself not only competing on Traders and meeting his new platonic life mate, but walking away as a winner and a new social media sensation. Then he was my fellow dance competitor on the pop culture juggernaut that is season thirty four of Dancing with the Stars, going viral and finishing fourth, finally ending the title he actually wanted People Magazine's Sexiest tattoo.
Speaker 4: Sure, these two.
Speaker 2: Reality TV titans are cool now, but I can tell deep down they're just two boys with a plethora of mortifying stories from high school. So please welcome to Team Beat the modern day, Wayne and Garth, Dylan Ephron and Boston Rob Mariano.
Speaker 5: Can appreciation for how good that was? I say podcast, and I'm blown away every time.
Speaker 6: Like the whole time it was happening, I was like, what is going on?
Speaker 5: It's insane, Like the talent, Yeah, it's unbelievable. It is so good. The first podcast I was on with her, I was like, do you have nearly audiobooks? Because I want to listen to one.
Speaker 7: I thought it was like we were like like one of those romance novels. You listen to the start one and then I was like, wait, what is this is? And then also this podcast about sharing our feelings. Someone forgot to tell me that.
Speaker 4: Didn't give him the.
Speaker 5: Okay, you know the strategy?
Speaker 2: Oh, boys, I am thrilled to have what I've just decided is my reality show alliance.
Speaker 4: The three of We've never really.
Speaker 2: Your show, your your web series is the first time we had to work together, and yet we were still on opposing.
Speaker 6: You're working hard. You got a Boston, Massachusetts. You know.
Speaker 2: I had to mutter you up because I mentioned that, like, how do I get in?
Speaker 3: How do I work?
Speaker 4: We'll see how it goes.
Speaker 2: So for those keeping score at home, I have forced their friendship into a trio and I'm just totally.
Speaker 3: Fine with it.
Speaker 2: So first, since I am sitting with two reality show strategy legends, I wanted to know. Were you both always competitive as kids?
Speaker 5: Oh? Yeah, I love My parents still say it to this day. I used to cheat it yai like YACHTSI is hard to cheat on. You gotta wait till they look away. Yeah, I hated to lose.
Speaker 6: I was like oldest child.
Speaker 7: I had a brother, a younger brother and younger sister and grew up in Boston and like, nobody let me get away with anything. So it was like constantly you have to earn it, and like if you wanted to be on.
Speaker 6: Top, you had to be competitive.
Speaker 4: You also played hockey right.
Speaker 6: Still, I still play hockey.
Speaker 3: Did you play at Boston University?
Speaker 6: I did not play at Boston University.
Speaker 5: What's it's like the Senior World Cup or something.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, all American sixty fifty, the Older Person League in Florida, the ARP Cup.
Speaker 4: Did you win the aar P Cup.
Speaker 6: I'm working on it.
Speaker 5: I'm working on It's surprisingly good.
Speaker 4: What was teenage Boston?
Speaker 1: Rob?
Speaker 2: Like, I imagine in fourth grade you just ran like a weekly poker night or something.
Speaker 7: Not far after enough fourth grade, but probably like sixth seventh grade, we started playing cards. Yeah, and it wasn't poker, but it was like those other games.
Speaker 6: But mostly sports.
Speaker 7: I mean ever since I was a kid, Like I learned to skate when I was like two years old, Like I played hockey, played baseball, basketball, football, like every sport all the time. And really I think like that's what my parents did to keep me out of any other trouble that was going on.
Speaker 6: So I was lucky enough. I had a mom that.
Speaker 7: Would wake up at five point thirty in the morning on the weekends and drive us all over the state and played lots lots of hockey and sports.
Speaker 2: Were do you feel like you were always good at reading people, you know.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I think like I've always been observant, and my dad was like a really good negotiator, like he was in real estate stuff, so I would watch him. But I think a lot of it's innate. I don't think a lot of people can learn how.
Speaker 6: To like like like, either you got it you don't.
Speaker 7: I think because I've tried to tell people, and some people more receptive on paying attention to different things. Yeah, but other people just naturally see it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're good at reading social cues and picking little things up.
Speaker 6: I like to tease a lot, you know, could get the upper hand.
Speaker 2: Dylan, did you have childhood hobbies?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Sports. Everything he was just saying was like I was playing year round soccer, year on baseball. It was like if I wasn't playing, I was at the sports field, like playing wiffle wall and it was just year round some sport. I was never the best at any of them, like that was pretty good, an all star and most of them, but I was never the best player on the team. My talent was that I could pick up any sport really quick. So it was like I when the east ball got too frustrating. Like I was just like, all right, I'm over this. So it took us so much time. I was like, I'm gonna go to tennis. And I made the varsity team for tennis. So it's like I could pick up sports really quick. Okay, So it was volleyball, it was tennis, it was soccer, it was baseball, whatever sport that yet, dancing, whatever sport it was, I could pick up good. I was never the best.
Speaker 2: Okay, when did you start really like truly caring about fitness, Like did you guys grow up.
Speaker 4: With a home gym?
Speaker 5: That was something I like, my brother would come home because I was like, growing up, I was big for my age and Zach was shorter. So then Zach took off hit puberty, was all of a sudden, came back and had muscles, so that I could see that, like, oh you can actually get muscles. So like I would just work out with him. See what he was doing. He's always reading fitness magazines. This is back like early two thousands or whatever. So it was like he's literally reading the magazines for workouts, and I would just copy him. So, okay, that's when I started getting to the gym and again when sports, it started to help. Like I started to put up I was six a buck fifty and then I started putting on muscle.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know it's funny like I had like almost the opposite. So I was the older brother and my younger brother grew first, and he was bigger than me at one point, like three inches taller and played on like a different hockey team, and he was like the star, and I was like second fiddle, and then I caught up, and you know, like but it was always cool, Like I always hear you tell the story about your older brother and how much like you always like looked up to him and stuff in a weird kind of way.
Speaker 6: Like my younger brother when he.
Speaker 7: Was bigger than me, he always still respected me as the older brother. Yeah, and like to this day, we like still have a great relationship. Yeah, it's my poor sister got dragged around the state for all the hockey games and we put her in net and played goalie.
Speaker 6: We made her play goalie. But but yeah, it's it's similar but different.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I think that if it worked in both of our advantages. It was like I was tall, I was in like athletics, so I straight into sports. Zach was more in the arts, right, And when you're younger brothers competing with you in basketball and winning, it's like, maybe that's not your sport. That leans into what he's good.
Speaker 4: It was good for us both when you were really little.
Speaker 2: Did your parents try to separate? Like I have two sons, which is why I'm asking this question, and they're two years apart, and both of them, will they like the same thing, or at least they think they like the same thing.
Speaker 4: Oh, Adler's favorite color is blue.
Speaker 2: Keaton's favorite color is blue. And I'm really trying to encourage them that, like, it doesn't have to be your favorite color though, like green could be your favorite color. And for a long time it was bothering out there that he's like everything I like, Keaton likes and now they're starting to find their own things. Did your parents nurture that or did they like encourage.
Speaker 5: You guys to do a lot four and a half years apart, so I think it's it was different. It was almost exact opposite you think I like blue. It was it was almost like, yeah, I think we we were so different a lot of those ways, so that like, yeah, my brother was in plays and stuff. I was like, there's no chances, no way my friends didn't go to Like I was always shocked on like how is my brother making plays cool when I'm in high school and plays aren't cool? It was it was just like is it a different era? Is it wasn't my brother stuff like that? So like, yeah, we didn't have too many overlap in our hobbies.
Speaker 2: I see, give me the worst fashion decisions that young Dylan Efron and young Rob Marianno made?
Speaker 4: What did what was.
Speaker 2: Like when you think back and you think of those family photos.
Speaker 7: Listen, my style is the sane. It hasn't changed in forty years. That's the problem. I still rock the white ald white Adida Shelto's jeans, a black T shirt or dark T shirt and a back.
Speaker 5: But dad, it's a classic thing. It's like my dad. My dad's dressed the same for so long that the style's back now. But now he's changing. I mean he's in card shirts. I was like, no, go back to what.
Speaker 6: It was cool. I mean fashion was never really like a thought for me.
Speaker 7: I can't say that there was a period of time like probably like middle school to early high school where like there was a fancy pair of jeans called jibbo jeans, and everybody wanted them.
Speaker 3: And do you ever have some Zekavalricci's.
Speaker 6: I didn't have that.
Speaker 7: I didn't have them, but some of the kids did. But like, I mean, it wasn't really something I really thought about.
Speaker 5: I did in high school, you know how you get like yearbook awards or whatever. I was best dressed and in my photo I was wearing cutoff cords and a flannel. I say my biggest fashion faux pa was my hair because I had long hair, like long hair, like the long hair was feminine looking hair as a like in my middle school years where I'm looking feminine already, so it was like that set. Yeah, I don't think long hair was the choice. I loved it. I love being different in that way. But yeah, it was like until I started looking a little more masculine. Probably wasn't the move.
Speaker 3: Were you wearing Converse in your best dressed photo?
Speaker 5: I feel like I bet or Vans probably, Yeah, Van's brown cut off cord in a flannel.
Speaker 2: Well, I won best hair for my high school. Yeah, thanks, back in nineteen ninety nine. That was that was my super superlative.
Speaker 5: I think hair for guys. Is one of those things that, at least for me, like I would never have noticed hair as a kid, like some of the.
Speaker 6: Things I don't have. I have plenty of hair.
Speaker 5: You've got hair, But as you get older and hair is like hot, you're like, oh, she gotta good hair. That is not like high school. You're not looking at hair.
Speaker 4: It's a wired mature it is.
Speaker 5: So you start noticing you like, you know, he's got a good hairs Lauren from Dancing with the Stars. I was standing next to one regular Yeah. I was like, oh, you got great hair, and she's like, wow, how many people tell you that that's really good?
Speaker 4: I know she's gorgeous hair.
Speaker 2: I have admitted that my first kiss is on television. I had never kissed a boy before that very first episode of Boy Meets World where I had to slam a young Ben Savage up against a locker and kiss him. So my first kiss happened in front of my parents because we didn't rehearse it during the week, so when we taped it in front of the live studio audience, my parents and my grandparents were present for my first real kiss.
Speaker 3: I want to hear about your first kisses what was your first kiss? How old were you take it?
Speaker 6: I remember my first kiss.
Speaker 7: I was in sixth grade, okay, and school we just moved from I grew up in like a part of the city of Boston, and my parents moved to like the suburbs.
Speaker 5: So it was the.
Speaker 7: End of sixth grade, year before summer, and I had a girlfriend and it was supposed to be you know, summer was coming, and to make it official, I had to give her a kiss. And I remember we went there was a lake by the house, and I was so nervous, I remember, and I just went. We went for a walk down by the lake and I kissed there. Did she just like A I don't know, Like I think she probably wanted it a lot longer than I did. So, no, like the first real kiss, that's what you're talking about, real causs real like French kiss.
Speaker 6: No, I haven't.
Speaker 5: I haven't heard it a while, But now I'm been visiting him with all his his Boston bros. Be like bro friend's kissed through.
Speaker 6: It was like it was like it was like how to go You're good? Yeah, yeah good? But leading up to it us so nice?
Speaker 5: Did you kiss her?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Friends kissing? We didn't have to say that. That was understood.
Speaker 5: Bro, just bragging your body.
Speaker 6: This is a friendship based on heat.
Speaker 5: We're compeding against each other too much, though.
Speaker 3: All right, what's what's your first kid?
Speaker 5: I'm nearly positive I was at a dance in seventh grade and it was like classic grinding and stuff.
Speaker 7: Like that grinding, sweetish grinding.
Speaker 5: I was definitely the last sweet spot where it was like every dance was just grinding and there's always like chaperones like hey, separate, separate. Yeah, but yeah, I think it was grinding. And then we turned around and had a little little action, a little.
Speaker 6: Friend we called action something else that came later.
Speaker 5: Mine wasn't full French.
Speaker 8: It was like like like uncomfortable talking about.
Speaker 5: All of this, like like you didn't tell me about it beforehand. I can't say it was a great I wasn't full friends yet.
Speaker 6: That's work to do.
Speaker 4: It wasn't full full French.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, would you guys have called yourselves cool in high school?
Speaker 5: No? Yeah, I think I had really I had cool friends. Yeah, and I think I was. I could go both sides. It was kind of a dork too.
Speaker 3: Okay, So what made you a door?
Speaker 5: Like I still like wanted to get good grades. I remember like and it just depends on the year. Like I think my dorkist year was probably seventh grade, and I remember I would like skip recess just go into like like I was. It was like that age where you're like writing poems and like and stuff like that. Loved writing age.
Speaker 6: I don't even I don't even know. He's like trying to think if my ears are actually working.
Speaker 7: Yeah, like is there a stage where you go through writing poems?
Speaker 5: I loved writing. It was like I would like go there early to start.
Speaker 7: Writing, other than like when your teachers teaching you about different high and showed and you have.
Speaker 5: To like, yeah, I loved it. See, Like so I was a little dorky, but then I had really cool friends too, so I was like, it just depends on a year. I had some super dorky years and I had some ones where I felt cooler.
Speaker 3: You must have been cool.
Speaker 7: I felt I always felt like in the middle, like I did, like like there were always some kids that were like way cooler, but I wasn't like on the bottom.
Speaker 6: Like I always felt in the middle.
Speaker 7: And I think like growing up like my parents like they made a conscious effort to always make sure that we were kind of like in the middle of like you know, like where we lived, like how much they gave us, how much you know, like we did we had to work for like stuff, but also like you know, not on the extreme.
Speaker 6: And I think that helped a lot.
Speaker 3: That's really smart. You don't ever want to be an outlier.
Speaker 6: I think it's hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, would you two have been friends in high school?
Speaker 6: I think maybe yeah, we would.
Speaker 5: I think we would have over sports. Yeah, I think it was or thro would have, and then we probably just would have got separated when I went to like the ap classes and.
Speaker 7: I was actually a wicked smart So Dylan doesn't even know. I actually is a true story. I had a scholarship to go to Harvard University as an undergrad for of physics and as a junior in high school.
Speaker 6: And I went and I took the.
Speaker 7: College level class, the physics class at Harvard when I was a junior in high school. And he's wondering whether or not that's true or not.
Speaker 5: But it is, so I believe it's true.
Speaker 6: Yeah, wow, physics.
Speaker 7: Yes, I loved Like see, here's the thing I never knew what like different professions were, which is ridiculous to think about. But when I went to college, like I didn't know what an engineer did. If I did, I would have been an engineer because I love that kind of stuff, Like I have that kind of brain and stuff. But I thought an engineer was someone that drove a train and that was it. I didn't know what the college of engineering was. I was like, wow, like people paying a lot so they can go drive trains, which is really dumb.
Speaker 6: And I get it now how dumb it is.
Speaker 9: And it's like, yeah, you probably wouldn't have made it as an engineer, but I would have.
Speaker 6: I liked like that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's really impressive.
Speaker 5: But I was.
Speaker 6: Terrible at like Grandma and English.
Speaker 5: And this makes it literally having an argument over what the equation of buoyancy was last.
Speaker 2: Night last night, What is the equation of boyce.
Speaker 5: Buoyancy equals mass? Yeahs volume grats.
Speaker 7: Just you guys remember from school or we were discussing it and yeah, helped us, both of us together almost got the folks.
Speaker 5: Badmoved took two physics class, but my second one I realized it wasn't that good.
Speaker 6: On the second one, yes, but I only had two A P classes.
Speaker 5: I didn't have all of them. I had a lot, but my school was also pretty sick. They offered a lot.
Speaker 2: We know that you met your girlfriend Courtney, an actual human angel that I loved. She's incredible in high school. Do you remember asking her to be your girlfriend?
Speaker 5: Ooh, the actual ask. It happened super organically, but I remember we like we both remember locking eyes in the math hall. That was the first time we like saw each other. She says, she knew who I was and like I was the older kid, so she always like knew who I was. But that was the first time that we like locked eyes and we're like hey. But then I think I like reached out on MySpace space Yeah, and then we played tennis and she didn't know me. I'm pretty quirky again once you get to know me, so like I again, I just like I'm just doing my own thing. I was like, hey, you want to play tennis. We played for a little bit and I was like, I'm thirsty. I'm gonna go with Jahma Juice. And then I left and she was like, oh that went awful. Yeah, told me way later. She's like, why do you leave to go to Joba juice. I was like, I'm thirsty, and she's like no, Like I thought you were like hated. Yeah, It's like I don't know.
Speaker 2: We just started playing tennis out walking Eyes in the Mouth Fall and you left me for a.
Speaker 5: Juice because to guess, I like it, that's just me. I was like, I'm like a one thing. I have no idea. I was just doing my thing.
Speaker 4: Would you offer her a jompa juice?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 5: Of course I.
Speaker 3: Walk with you.
Speaker 5: I have no idea if I didn't or what Like, I thought that they weren't great, so I didn't.
Speaker 4: It was over over.
Speaker 5: I think it's like the same way like when Corney and I have conversations. Sometimes I'm like, all right, we said what we're going to say, but she'll keep talking. I think it was just one of those where I'm like, oh, yeah, like we're done. I had no idea.
Speaker 3: Did you have a high school sweetheart?
Speaker 6: I had? Yeah, I had a couple of different girlfriends in high school. Then I was really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Rob, you were a superstar in that first massive wave of reality TV. WHOA, but you were also the perfect demo for its birth on MTV. Did you watch a lot of Real World.
Speaker 6: I did it. None of it, none of it really. Yeah.
Speaker 7: It was so wild, like even like applying to be on Survivor. It was kind of just like a spur of the moment thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and.
Speaker 7: Like, yeah, I could have never imagined but I didn't. I didn't watch any of those other I still don't know, Like now it's the challenge like we did Traders last season. I met some of those people, but I realized, like that came from that.
Speaker 5: Now, did you watch it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, of course. That was the craziest thing about walking into because I only watched it when I was young.
Speaker 6: Wait, you watched like the old Real World.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's why when I saw Wes, I was like, like, I don't I watched like it was always on school, Like yeah, same same way These World was. I was on Channel forty five. This would have been on Channel but like I watched like a few seasons here or there. But Wes was so iconic in those seasons. So I met him. I was like, dude, I used to watch you as a kid, and he's like, you're making me feel old, right, what's so crazy is like he is old, he's not.
Speaker 6: So you watched me, you know.
Speaker 5: When I was like, I was watching this when I'm twelve or something. He's like seventeen eighteen, like he was was young. Yeah, he was like he was starting fights. He was just like strong. It's crazy that we're like six years apart whatever we are. Yeah, but it feels like, yeah, I felt like I was watching a grown man getting fights and stuff like that. But he was eighteen.
Speaker 7: It's wild man, like, like the whole way that it's gone for so long.
Speaker 3: Yes, you know.
Speaker 2: You also though it were in Boston right around the time of of New Kids on the Block.
Speaker 3: Are you so no?
Speaker 6: But I remember when that was like a whole you doing thing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, do you know any of them?
Speaker 5: I so.
Speaker 4: Tell the story.
Speaker 7: So the part of Boston where I grew up was called Hyde Park and it's like a section of Great Boston, and like once a year in the summer, they had these things called Hype Park Days where they blocked down the streets and it was basically like a block party, like the businesses would go out sell food and whatever, and the new kids were brand new and they were doing like a local performance, like they were just getting started. They were big, you know, and it was like Donnie Wahlberg and like Jordan, I can't remember them all night.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but we had a gym that we used to play.
Speaker 7: Basketball and called the Municipal Building and every day we'd go there, me and all my friends would play basketball. Well it's high park day, so we're going to play basketball. And the gym was closed down because the New Kids and Mark Wahlberg Marky Mark at the time, was there and we got into.
Speaker 6: A little bit of a scuffle.
Speaker 9: You no, no, we didn't fight, but they were like words back and forth, like this is our gym, what are you doing here? And they had closed it down for them to play while they did it. And it's funny because years later.
Speaker 7: Donnie had a movie come out, well Mark, I can't remember which one one of them had a movie come out Huckabees, and they had a big premiere in Connecticut at Mohegan Sun with a golf tournament. So it was the first time I saw him twenty years later, and like, I.
Speaker 6: Was like, hey, do you remember this time? And he like looked at me, He's like, were you there?
Speaker 5: And I was like, yeah, that was me.
Speaker 7: But everybody loved the New Kids. They're great now, like we're good but everybody loved them. They were huge new kids on the block.
Speaker 5: Worse it was for sure it was a song.
Speaker 6: There were lots of songs, but there's like.
Speaker 5: Uh, Chinese food makes me sick.
Speaker 7: No, that's not them. I'm not singing to any of the songs, but I don't.
Speaker 5: They referenced kids of the So what was.
Speaker 2: The music you listened to as a kid or a team?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 7: Really bad music, like a lot of like rap music, like gangster rap music. I like classic rock like my dad, just like you know Beatles era, Bob Dylan sixties. So like my dad played guitar, my brother played guitar. I have no musical ability at all, but I grew up listening to their generation music and the trash that was in our generation I know. But look like there was some like hard rock like def Leppard, you know, Aerosmith obviously in the Boston Band they were big. I love music, but like it wasn't like a big thing in my life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what was on your earliest iPod?
Speaker 3: Dylan?
Speaker 5: Oh gosh, it wasn't even an iPod. It was a rio. Really, my dad was a little budget finger was like that.
Speaker 6: I love that.
Speaker 3: Your day's like deal.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think I got the rio. It was like a little red iPod looking thing. Oh my god, Yeah, that was a blue one. But I'm shocked I remember the name. It probably held like one hundred songs. We had a cool mix where I grew up in the Central Coast because we got a lot of Bay Bay area rap influence, so like Andrea and Katina and a bunch of like like cool rap influence from there, but then some SoCal as well. So it was a weird mix of like guitar like more like Jack Johnson type stuff and.
Speaker 3: Singer song and some cool like indie rap.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's that was pretty much my list.
Speaker 2: Well, now we get to see grown up Dylan and Rob take their competitive streaks to a whole new level with Everything's a Competition, a YouTube show where the two of you are going head to head in various challenges from pottery to medieval times duels.
Speaker 3: Where did this concept come from?
Speaker 7: All from Dylan's brain? Ride Like like it's like we're in preschool kindergarten? Did he has like some unfinished business and he wants to settle it All.
Speaker 5: Those times as I lost in the fifth grade physics classes, I need redemption like we're literally talking about like the dropping eggs from from heights and just like kids.
Speaker 6: Just see that's good. I did it. I did it when I was a kid.
Speaker 7: I was telling him I made like air bags were like brand new airbags and cars, and like I built a tube with like two balloons on each end and put the egg in the middle.
Speaker 5: Is it was it already inflated or did you have the mechanism actually going in?
Speaker 2: No, I was already was an engineer, so he probably.
Speaker 6: Air bag.
Speaker 5: How did you do that? Your parents car?
Speaker 2: We we used the pool noodle, So we cut a noodle and then cut the sides, put the air the noodle around it, and then wrapped.
Speaker 4: That really absorbed.
Speaker 5: I so badly want to share my strategy, but I'm probably going to reuse it. I appreciate this episode, so.
Speaker 6: I have a new one.
Speaker 7: And I was like, I'm glad you said that because I was just going to tell you I have the full proof one that I know works every time.
Speaker 6: But I'm not saying it now because you just said.
Speaker 7: That that's how it goes, Okay, I see, I mean, do we want to talk about the episode we just did?
Speaker 6: Yeah, let's try about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's so excited.
Speaker 2: We just had so much fun playing live fruit Ninja.
Speaker 5: Yes, we had a real ninja.
Speaker 2: Master Sun came from Dragons m m A Dragons Martial Arts where my kids go to karate and I have taken classes, and he brought a katana sword that had never been.
Speaker 6: Used, so sharp, razor sharp.
Speaker 2: Razor sharp, dragons engraved on it.
Speaker 4: Just a beautiful sword.
Speaker 5: It is cooler than I could have imagined the sword would be.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, now you're like into sords.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've always be.
Speaker 2: So do we want to talk about how it went? What what we We broke up into teams. Dylan and I were on a team, Robin Jensen were on a team.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, I would say this was a really non competitive episode, like we didn't really care. It was just so.
Speaker 7: Fun, the most climactic episode that we've had yet.
Speaker 6: It came down to the last, very last fruit swing.
Speaker 5: We were cheering everyone on, like, I was so happy Jensen got it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was so good.
Speaker 4: It's just like we relaxed.
Speaker 6: Yeah, really cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, which was cool. It was a cool change to be so competitive for an episode.
Speaker 6: Okay, you guys want the truth.
Speaker 4: It was painful.
Speaker 6: It was actually a lot of fun.
Speaker 5: It was. It worked a lot like some of these. The routine in this show is that my five year old brain comes up with a concept that Boston Rob just tries to pick apart. Yeah, hates on it. Then he wins and says, that was so much fun. It is like, I wish we had a montage of him just so happy he wins and goes, that was so much fun. That was a great idea one.
Speaker 2: It's your version of Howard Stern's Hateless You know, around the end of the year they do a compilation of every time throughout the year he says, I hate something, I hate lines, I hate the cold you would have.
Speaker 4: That was so much fun.
Speaker 6: Really, this one was a lot of fun.
Speaker 7: But like usually he doesn't tell me about it and he's changing the rules.
Speaker 5: Oh no, the best one we shot, Like, I don't know if it's our best episode, but it was so fun because we did a fire making challenge which we hadn't thought of for some weird reason. Yeah, it was actually the first time I've seen him nervous, like I.
Speaker 7: Lose situation for me, Danielle, right, like the guy that should know how to do the fire right, So if I do it and I win, like, it looks like I'm dunking on him, right he came up with the idea, But if I lose.
Speaker 5: I look like a companion and his credit. He didn't complain, Like I was like, I don't even know if I want to tell him, because how funny would it be if I I just like he just walked into it. But I was like, I can't do that to him. I haven't cheated, I haven't researched stuff. I was like, I gotta tell him what it is. He was down, but it was literally like he showed no nerves. It was right before I just see him going like he's like legit doing like I need.
Speaker 6: It's like on the line.
Speaker 5: And in the very beginning his fire Saw story, he said, this is faulty wood, this isn't working, and he's just good.
Speaker 6: I want one thing.
Speaker 5: After that he was and seeing him stressed for that minute was so great.
Speaker 7: Imagine if like the competition was a sit up challenge or pull up challenge and all of a sudden I take the lead.
Speaker 5: No trust me, Like, look I'm saying, I fully understand. I give you props for stepping over the plate, but it was so cool.
Speaker 7: Needless to say, it ended and he said, well, I aren't gonna need we're gonna.
Speaker 6: Do that again. I'm just like every single episode spoiling.
Speaker 1: You know what was.
Speaker 7: Really like when we leave, When we leave here, we're gonna get in the car.
Speaker 6: And he's gonna go that was a really great episode.
Speaker 7: I think like if we did it again right and next time we just alternate fruits or I.
Speaker 5: Think Master Sherman's going to be coming back because we're doing knife throwing, Wenna, we gotta tap into the sunset.
Speaker 2: Mister is your guy for sure.
Speaker 5: This is where we run into issues a lot though, because we come up with a plan and we changed it last second, because the we are the ones ultimately in control of it, and when we make changes on the fly, sometimes we should have stuck with our guts. So it's it's hard.
Speaker 7: We need like this is him and I'm gonna give you the inside baseball. This is him mad about it challenge that he lost yesterday.
Speaker 5: No, it's not the first time it's happened though.
Speaker 6: But but it's like we both agreed.
Speaker 5: To no, no, no, I'm saying that that's the that's the danger is like our rules are so flimsy, and ultimately I'm making him the day before, so then he's like, oh, I don't think this rule's fair, and then I'm like, oh, maybe it isn't. So it's like, ultimately, when the show scales up, we need to have like a rule maker, and we just show.
Speaker 6: Rule maker that's not on your side.
Speaker 2: That's why today I said, mister Shervin needs to be the one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I agree, because then you have.
Speaker 2: Someone who goes all right. I heard the rules myself, yes, and now I'll be the person.
Speaker 7: And then I have to give it to mister Sherwin because he was a man of loyalty and integrity. When when Dylan did not cut the fruit, he said that unlike in a previous episode when we were lawn bowling and every single advantage went right too.
Speaker 5: But he thinks I said that up. I didn't. I showed up. I didn't, and anyone can confirm I don't know this guy. It was just I'm my first role. He was like, this guy's good and and he he sucked out to me. I can't deny that, but he thinks I know this guy. Don't.
Speaker 7: Let me just tell you why I think because certain challenges we do, right, it's supposed to be even playing field. Yes, nobody's supposed to have an advantage. That's true on two separate occasions. Now, Dylan's created challenges, and we found out after that he has intimate knowledge of the event we went to go do. We got to go do ceramics, and after the event is own. Oh, Dylan took a ceramics class in high school.
Speaker 5: And the thing that he just goes in one ear out the other is I've never done the wheel.
Speaker 6: Okay, you did a class in ceramics. I did it.
Speaker 5: I got a c from pinching clay. It was my least favorite class I ever did. But I was there pinching pots. And he's like, oh he did this, This is nollafied. I'm like bogot I did in high school as like one of these like things I built about fifteen years So.
Speaker 6: When are you gonna tell you told me about it?
Speaker 7: We done a challenge up, we got to build boats out of conboy.
Speaker 6: We're gonna race him.
Speaker 9: And then Corny comes in and goes, oh, this is just like you did in high school.
Speaker 5: This happen, so what I mean?
Speaker 2: Dylan would never say that like having dance experience in high.
Speaker 6: Te He tried to get me to do a dancing competition. Right after he goes, you don't be great. We should do a dance off. I'll get my friend. We're can do a dance off. Let's do a flex competition.
Speaker 4: Do you need Danny could be the judge?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Danny would judge. Danny would be my partner.
Speaker 2: And uh, you.
Speaker 6: Know you bring someone from home.
Speaker 5: It's so hard to hear me because he does the same thing. The amount of time she wanted to do an eating competition. Every time we passed up any hard, He's like, oh, what if we do a green light challenge and whoever can keep the green light on it?
Speaker 6: I'm like, I was fucking challenge. Yeah, are fun?
Speaker 5: Do a beers like it's happens booth what.
Speaker 6: He's just more influential.
Speaker 10: He says, these are special episodes where you guys get to pick the you know, like you're gonna do the Boston rob episode and it's like three things.
Speaker 4: He gets to pick.
Speaker 5: No, we already did, we already did fire making, but he likes the you chose you came up with that somehow to loose lose?
Speaker 9: No matter what it is it is, people are going to be like, well, of course it's win that Like, why are you guys doing everything that's so easy?
Speaker 6: Wrong? It's just bad bad for me? What can I pick up?
Speaker 5: We're doing a spelling bee later today, and like somehow like I was good in seventh grade and literally you were.
Speaker 6: Good in seventh grade. See what I mean? It's use bad. This is why it's.
Speaker 5: Like, what do you think you would think? I'm a national spelling be choir.
Speaker 2: Gosh, Rob, I've met your daughters. They're all amazing. Would you ever encourage them to be on Survivor if they want to?
Speaker 6: Yeah, but not yet.
Speaker 7: Like I really think, like there's a sweet spot you have to be you have to have a certain amount of life experience to be able to participate in that show. Well, I remember the season I won, I went all the way to the end with the girl still friends with great girl, Natalie Tennarelli. She's only nineteen at the time, and she just didn't have enough life experience to navigate, you know, the deception all of it. So I think, like, you know, at some point, if that's something they want to do.
Speaker 6: For sure they could do it. Yeah, I wouldn't stop them.
Speaker 3: Wow, would you ever go on Survivor? You'd kill it on Survivor.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like I grew up loving that show, so I think it'd be super fun. But it's it's weird now because like that show, they don't cast people that are known, so I think unless they did a different version, it might just be one of those ones where you would get picked up picked out early. I don't know, like I don't know they've had.
Speaker 6: You'd be great if you listened. Yeah, you have to listen though.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like that was my first love of a show, like when it Corney still says to this day, like she was like, I was convinced You're going to go on that show because I was so adamant as a kid. I was like, I'm gonna go on the show. Yeah, but yeah, I like it was the athletic stuff. I really like, wanted to go Spearfish, I wanted to go Live on an Island. I wanted to do the challenges, And the show has evolved a little bit away from that stuff that I so.
Speaker 6: But that that is the fun part.
Speaker 7: That's the heart of the show that I loved, even though like I'm known for the strategy part and the deception and the cutthroat, Like the part that really initially drew me to it was exactly what you're talking about, the adventure.
Speaker 5: And we were literally just talking about this like strategy wise, Like my dream was to go spearfish. Like it's so funny for me watching the show as a spear fisherman and seeing people like shoot refish and like in three Foot of Water, it's like, no, I'd go beyond the break in spearfish, But in the show today, you can't do that. It's moving so fast that if you go out and spearfish for four hours, you're going to be voted out there. Yeah, so it's it's so it's it's tough. I want to do it. I still want to do it. I would play the game as it is for sure.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like I like games where there I love physical challenges. I like am up for anything that's a physical challenge. The deception, lying stuff would just be I'm like.
Speaker 6: I would.
Speaker 7: She's so smart, but I see it and I call you out on that nonsense. Really, but I think like, like, remember like when we were kids, there was a show Double There.
Speaker 6: Remember that.
Speaker 7: I love that show and I don't like understand how anybody would ever not go for the physical challenge Like that was like the initial you know idea, and like that adventure part of it, the obstacle courses, the it brings out your inner kid.
Speaker 5: I think show from a long time ago where it was like at the very the last obstacles they had to climb up Mount Fuji or or whatever what was that so called different teams of like two.
Speaker 6: I used to love that Nickelodeon I think it.
Speaker 5: Was what was it, God, Oh my God, got Agrocrack, Yeah, yeah, that show and then the one where there was like like they would have to go through the jungle and then those scary people would pop out. Do you remember that one temple though? Like that was my jam. I always wanted to do it.
Speaker 7: Like your kids are young, like you're they're at the age where they love to go to the park, right, Like so I remember when my kids were that young, like how much fun they loved going to the park, And I always thought like they should do a show give it away now, right whatever the playground but for adults where you get to play all the games and there's some kind of built in challenge to it.
Speaker 5: I think we could do that. Yeah versus teeter chatter.
Speaker 6: How many times?
Speaker 5: How'd you break your back? The speed?
Speaker 6: That's what we'll do with measure.
Speaker 7: We'll get a radar reader who can spin it the fast you can spin the other person.
Speaker 4: Who get you.
Speaker 6: That's what you gotta do, and this is our creative process. I love.
Speaker 2: Well, I love it, I love you both. Thank you for being here. As predicted, I had so much fun with Boston, Robb and Dylan that I had to hold on to them for a second episode. So stay tuned to hear that where we take one of your stories on Friday. Teen Beat is an iHeart podcast produced and hosted by Danielle Fischel. Executive producers Jensen Carp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor Tara Subox. The theme song is by Mark Coppus, Yes that Mark Coppus. Follow us on Instagram at teen Beat pod