Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm slow and I know basketball. Today's guest comes from Basketball Royal Today. His journey from growing up in Chicago, Florida and LA going undrafted to them playing with Lebron and ad on the Lakers is a story you won't want to miss. Today's guest is Scottie Pippin Junior. All right, so, Scotti, thank you so much for coming on the pod. I'm so excited to have you.
Speaker 1: Appreciate you having me, of course.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's get right into it. So I'm not sure if you know, but I am seventeen years old. I'm a junior in high school, which you know is a little bit different than I'm sure most of the people who usually interview you. So I like to start off my episodes by getting to know what you were like at seventeen. So to start off, like, did you know you were going to make it to the league at seventeen? Were you good at basketball at seventeen, because not all NBA players were, I'm curious to hear a little bit about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh, when I was seventeen, I was like super skinny, so I didn't really think, you know, I was gonna make it to the NBA. I always had like dreams of making it. My parents always told me, like, you have to get bigger, you have to get stronger. I would say, I did think I was gonna make it, but I didn't know how serious I was about the game at that time. I was always good. But it's always the smallest kid on the course.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I feel like there's a lot of stories like that where players don't believe they're gonna make it because critics tell them, oh, you're too small. But then I mean, Steph's the perfect example of what can.
Speaker 1: Happen when you're too small, you know exactly.
Speaker 2: Anyway, So you've been around the league your whole life. What do you most remember about growing up around the league and what's like your first NBA memory that you've ever had.
Speaker 1: I would just say just like being around like All Star events. You know, my dad always like went back in All Star after he retired, So like just seeing a lot of those players like throughout the year years at All Star and then you know, some of those guys like even not being in the league, I still see them around. When I was like a kid, I would see them, so like, I feel like that was my first eyes into the NBA.
Speaker 2: Do you think it benefited you growing up having relationships with NBA players to make it to where you are now?
Speaker 1: Like? Did they help me make it to the NBA? You're saying more so just make the chain.
Speaker 2: Not in that way, But I think do you think it made you more motivated or sort of helped you understand the game better, helped you train harder, stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think maybe a little bit of both. I feel like, because some people in my position could be like too relaxed. Maybe I would say, like, because like I had a guy in the NBA from my family and my dad, I could be maybe a little two relaxed, just thinking it's easier to make it than what it really is. But I would say, of course, like having someone that's been through the grind, been through the journey, just having that in your back pocket of someone that can give you information always helps.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally. So you were born in Portland, right, Yeah? Okay, and then you went to high school in LA and in Florida. What was her NBA team growing up?
Speaker 1: I actually grew up in Chicago, like I was born in Portland, but like wanted to when I moved out and moved to Chicago. So I was a Bulls fan growing up pretty much in all life, you know, watching d Rose and my dad he kind of worked for the team. So that's another like that's when I started first started watching the NBA. Was like going to Bulls games and stuff like that as a kid.
Speaker 2: Gotcha Okay? And then you just mentioned Derek Rose. Was he your favorite player growing up or was it someone else?
Speaker 1: I would say him, Man with Kobe. I like Kobe a lot too. Him and my dad were super cool, Like he would always hit my dad of for information. So I was a Kobe fan and then just being a bullstand. I was always a Derek ros fan because I was going to post games all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is there a certain past NBA player that you model your game off of?
Speaker 1: I don't think so. Like growing up, I was always like I was a Kobe fan. So I used to always want to be a shooting guard. But my dad knew I was going to be sure, so he was like, man, you need to play the porn guard. You need to play the porn guard. So I was I say, growing up, probably this Kobe within life now, don't I don't think anyone on the model a game after.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like that being your own person for sure. So now I want to move into sort of that high school era for you. What was your favorite all time memory of high school basketball?
Speaker 1: I would say moving to California. My first high schools I was in Florida called Pine Crest. It's kind of under the radar school, you know, the Thompsy Twins went there after I left. But going to Sierra k and playing with a lot of highly recruited guys, like guys that are known, it just a lot of fun. I feel like that kind of put me on the scene and just being able to play there, and this one Tuesday championship is probably one of my favorite moment playing basketball totally.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, Sierra Canyan's obviously a very different high school basketball experience compared to most, and you get to have some of the most famous people in the world come watch your games. Who was the person that came to watch one of your games at Sierra that you were maybe most starstruck about?
Speaker 1: Most starstruck? Yeah, I don't know more star stuff, but I'll say the most like odd person or not even just different, like be the Irish so I didn't know she came. That's so cool, Yeah, Kanye, A couple of black people like that, but the Irish because I didn't know she's like a basketball fan.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Did that even get to your head? Or you just played and like ignored it?
Speaker 1: I just played. I saw it after the game.
Speaker 2: After that set you up. Well, I guess for the league that you got to have that experience. So obviously, like we were saying, I mean, Sierra Canyon, everyone knows is basketball powerhouse, high school basketball powerhouse. This is maybe you know, a hard hitting question, but what is your starting five of all time Sierra Kanyon players?
Speaker 1: I'm not including myself. I'm I including myself.
Speaker 2: Whatever you want. I think you can include yourself, but you know you couldn't have you be like the sixth man. Maybe if you want to shout out other people.
Speaker 1: I'll do that. I'll pull my point guard. I'll probably put Dwayne Washington junior, Yeah, shooting guard. Uh, this is I probably got to go Brandon Boston. Three, probably Cashiers, Stanley.
Speaker 2: F.
Speaker 1: K Moreon junior kJ and more In, and then five probably got to go more In Badley Man, you're leaving out your brother. Yeah, I gotta and win nothing.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's fair, that's fair. What do you think was the biggest difference between high school basketball and A.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I feel like, going to see her kine, it was pretty similar. It's because we were so talented. Yeah, I would right to say, playing with a bunch of super talented guys. I feel like in high school and you play on most teams, talent isn't the same as AU. But I feel like from my high school team it was pretty much the same. And you know, to of my teammates from high school I also played AAU with, so it was pretty like an easy transition for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Do you notice anything different in the actual style of play between the two leagues or not? Really?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think a little bit more like I sould a little bit more like players trying to get creative. I feel like in you know, high school basketball was more coached and more like team ran. I would say, So, you were in.
Speaker 2: The Mission League, shiriracnyans in the Mission League. I heard a rumor once that there could be a reality TV show about the Mission League if that were to happen, would you be all in? Would you agree that should happen because I personally think, like I would watch that the Mission League is so special, So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's dope to have like behind the scenes of basketball. Like my two years there, we had like a little like reality TV series. I don't know how big it was, but like it was cool to see like, you know, players behind the scenes. I feel like even for like me being a part of it, it was cool to like look back and see like what we were doing on the road and just like the stuff we was fooling around doing. So I think that's cool to see like the Mission League and see like the players and how they prepare for games and you know, how they have fun to outside basketball totally.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So you went to Vanderbilt, which is not only an incredible basketball school, but it's an incredible school school. So together you have to have pretty good grades. I'm curious how you balance being a student and an athlete.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I always went to like pretty hard schools going up, so like academics is always super important for me. And like I said, like you know, I wasn't the highest recruited for basketball, so yeah, when Vanderbrook came out, was my biggest basketball offer, and it was a great academic school, so it was a pretty easy decision for me. But you know, like you said, it was definitely a hard school, so it definitely was hard to balance. So a lot of you know, late night trying to study and get my work done.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I get it. I have to do that right now, Like right after this, I have to study for my biotest. What was your official visit?
Speaker 1: Like my fish visual was great, you know, to see in the campus. I thought like Vanda was one of the nicest campuses out there, even though it's like it's a small school student wise, The coaches were cool, the players were all cool. I just sew ride at home. You know, it's being you know, far from California, where I was, you know, living at the time. I fell home when I was at Vanderbilt. So definitely an easy decision for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that. So this spring break, actually I'm going on college tours and I'm going to be touring Vandy, which I'm super excited about. I want to know your recommendations, give me recommendations, where to eat, where to go all of that.
Speaker 1: What do you like to eat? You like like barbecue?
Speaker 2: I love barbecue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like my best favorite version was like with a halbachi spot. They head down that actually it's called like n Ninky or something. Okay, that was my main spot. They got a couple like local spots, little stuff around campus, but the food is pretty good. I feel like in the SOULI you're always gonna find good food spots. Yeah, honestly, I definitely check out the hbachi spot.
Speaker 2: Okay, do you still ever go back there now that you're in Tennessee or no?
Speaker 1: It's actually like a three and a half hour drive or three hour drive. This last this past summer was the first time I went back there. I didn't get to go back to campus, but I just went back to that. I tried to do like a little basketball camp, and then our team had training camp out there, so I was able to go back into the city. But you know, hopefully there's something I'm gonna try to do like a basketball camp out there, and then like made my way around there, but my coaching staff's not out there, so I got it a little different now. Yeah, I got to reconnect the new coaching staff and stuff like that, So hopefully there's someone able to do that.
Speaker 2: What are your thoughts about all the crazy changes going on with the SEC because it's a completely different, you know, conference than it was when you played not that long ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's pretty crazy. Is like seeing how like college basketball has changed with NIL, Like I kind of missed that whole way, you know, I kind of call like the back end of it. But yeah, I think it's crazy to see all the coaches changes, the players change in schools and like jump into different conferences. But I think it's definitely just great for the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting because, like you just said, with NIL, your younger brother, Justin, who now goes to Michigan. He you guys were only, you know, not that many years apart, yet you had completely different high school experiences because he could get paid. What do you think your high school experience, Like how different do you think it would have been would have been if you were able to receive NIL money?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think would have been much different. You know, I'm kind of I don't know, I'm glad I didn't get paid, but I think it definitely made it easier because I feel like when you throw the money in, it definitely adds like another variable, like where you want to go to school and it kind of changes, like, you know, your trajectory. So I feel like for him, you know, I kind of helped him through the process of picking schools and stuff like that, and it was definitely challenging for him just because you know, he might like a school, but another schools throwing the money at him, or you know, the playing time, and there's a bunch of different stuff that goes into it. So I'll say it definitely complicated for these players.
Speaker 2: No, totally. Yeah, I wouldn't want to go through that. It seems very stressful. Yeah, all right, So we heard a little bit about you when you were seventeen, you know, at Sierra Canyon in Florida, in Chicago, all that. But now I want to move on to you. Now, so you sort of had an untraditional path to the league, you know, going undrafted. What advice would you give to younger guys that go undrafted on how to succeed in the league.
Speaker 1: I would just say, this is a marathon, it's not a race. I feel like a lot of guys are in college right now they might just be like, oh, I got to get to the NBA. I got to get to the NBA and they don't know how long, Like this path is during years, Like there's a lot of players that you know, I left after three years of college, and there was guys that left after one year or two years, and I was like, damn, they're going to the NBA. But you look back and are out the NBA already after one or two years. So I would have said this, this is a marathon. Go when you feel ready to, you know, leave college, and then you know, just once you get here, you know, everyone's pretty much equal. It's not it doesn't matter what you were drafted. It doesn't matter. You know, we'll pick you up what you did in college. So I just know it's a marathon. It's going to be a long So just the word going show just continue to put into work and you know, just continue to grow as a player and you know, find your value in that.
Speaker 2: I love that. So it's not necessarily your hometown team, but one of your hometown teams was the first team that you got to play for. What was that Like, I'm sure that was exciting to be able to play not that far from your high school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a great feeling. You know, that night I went undrafted, But like going back to your home. It was, you know, even better feeling to be being drafted is because I was able to go play home, playing in front of my family, my friends, you know, and you know, bea up the street from you know where I'll play high school at. But it was definitely a dream come true. I never even thought it was possible to go there because I didn't think feel like I had a good workout with the Lakers. But going back there definitely was fun. Playing with God like Lebron and Ad Like. I was around those guys when I was a kid in Westbrook. You know Russ, I was around him when I was a kid, just being around you know, the game with my dad. So just going and playing with those guys after watching them as a kid, would just have a dream come true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you would have told your you know, ten year old self that the first NBA team you're going to be on, your on the Lakers and playing with Lebron, ad Rust all those guys, Like, what would he have thought?
Speaker 1: Now? I wouldn't have believed that. It's like something you dream us like. It was such a crazy feeling is to be there to see those guys every day.
Speaker 2: What was the best story, best experience you had playing with bron Adi and Russ.
Speaker 1: I have so many I can't even pinpoint one. I can't even I said, it's being on the road, just being with those guys and just you know, seeing how they approach the game, just because you know, you see them on TV and it's like, okay, this and that. But then when you get to like be on the plane with them and to see how they are as people, and it's how cool they are in genuine I feel like it was differently definitely cool, totally.
Speaker 2: I couldn't. I would be like shaking every time I was talking about there are my teammates. So how do you deal with the pressure of being your dad Scottie Pippen's son on the court?
Speaker 1: I feel like I just you know, embrace it, you know. I feel like the pressure has gone down since I, you know, like the further I've win in my career. Yeah, just because I just don't even care about it anymore. You know, it is what it is. You can't even embrace it. You just let it, you know, eat you alive. Yeah, But you know, I think it's been great to have, you know, dad that playing the be that you know, giving back so much information to me and so much time and help me that it always motivated me just to you know, make him proud of make it to the NBA, you know, succeeded in that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally. So this next question is the question that I am most excited to ask. So, your dad spells his name s c O T t I E. And you've spelled your name s c O T T why, but you're Scottie Pippen Jr. I'm very confused. Please explain what's going on with the different spellings.
Speaker 1: To be honest, I'm still kind of confused on it too. It makes no sense while my parents did While my parents did that. But basically, my dad's name is with a why, but for some reason he writes it with an ie on everything, but like his actual like documentary stuffy. Yeah, so like, but like he switches it up, like sometimes he'll go somewhere he'll like right a why, you know, or someone to write abound ie. So I feel like I should have probably been with ie since he wants to change his Yeah, I'm with a wise look confusing.
Speaker 2: People get it wrong all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they definitely get around. I'm like I'm so used to it now it doesn't even matter. But even some of my coaches, I feel like last year when I got here, they would like put like if I like film sessions, like my name would be with an Ie and I was like, that's not my name.
Speaker 2: That's so funny. I love that, all right, So what was your I made it moment?
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, I made it. I would just say, get on my contract this summer, you know, last year, you know, with my second year, with my first year, getting like full NBA minutes and stuff like that, and you know, I felt good. But I feel like once you put like, you know, your pens to the paper and get you know, the first contract for that time, you know, not felt completely satisfied. But I just felt good and it felt like I finally just like made it, made it in the NBA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally. You're the second Grizzly I've now interviewed. I interviewed Santiel Dama and it's really special to me because my family's from Memphis, but I've never been there, so I love talking to Grizzlies. It's always awesome. But I want to know your best Jah Morant story because I feel like Jaw's a player that we see him. The media portrays him very differently than he actually is. So as his teammates, someone who gets to experience him every day, what is that like?
Speaker 1: Just crazy? I feel like the energy just like he's always joking. Me and him have you know, a great relationship. You know, I have so many stories with him, I can't even you know, tell, so.
Speaker 2: They're not are they not? Are they not good for seventeen year old ears? Maybe?
Speaker 1: Probably not? We have some funny stories, you know, He's I feel like the media portrays him in a serial way that's you know, not fair to him and not you know, truly who he is. But he's definitely a great dude. My favorite moment in him, I don't know. I had so many funny moment so every day I have a plenty more.
Speaker 2: Every day is the new one?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, every day. I can't even pick one.
Speaker 2: I'm curious because, like, as a fan, my reaction to the ad Luca trade was obviously my mind was blown. But as a player, what was your reaction when you saw that? I thought it was a.
Speaker 1: Joke to be honest, yeah, I thought it was a joe to you know, all my friends are back in LA. So they were like it was like a night before again. They were like spamming our group chet like this isn't really, this isn't real. I thought it was crazy, to be honest, I didn't think it was real. I thought, you know, Sham's got hacked or something first, but no, I think it's you know, definitely crazy. I feel like both teams got better, you know, I think Dallas got better because they got more size now. But you know, the Lakers got better too because they got you know, Lucas. So I don't know who got actually, I don't know who got better, but I feel like both teams. Both teams are good, you know, Lakers moving to the playoffs, so it's like there's still a thread and now they got a you know, younger player that's going to be a threat for years to come. So you know, I feel like we'll see you know, on yours to come.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, speaking of all these very competitive teams in the West, the Grizzlies are currently fourth, so it seems like you guys have a pretty comfortable playoff spot. If you got to choose the team that you match up with first in the playoffs, what team would you choose.
Speaker 1: I feel like that's a danger.
Speaker 2: It's a little thing, just because Scotti. I want to know, do you think you guys are fine in the West. Do you think you're fine in the West.
Speaker 1: I can't I can't say that. I can't say that, you know, if we feel that we're good in the West, but we want to know, we want to I want to make sure I don't pick the wrong team. But yeah, you know, I don't know. I can't pinpoint a team I want to play. You. I feel like that the West is so tough. Yeah, all the teams you know, you know, we were just sick and that were for Yeah, it's so competitive that I don't even know if you could pick a team you want to play this because how good everyone is and how you know, close to competitive everyone is totally.
Speaker 2: I know the West, I don't think. I mean, you know, obviously we all know them mean, but I don't think anyone's good in the West. I mean, the Warriors were tenth in the West three days ago, and then the next day they were six in the West, and then seventh. It's just all moving around so much. It's crazy time to be I mean, I'm sure a player but also a fan. It's so fun to see. So, you know, you and Brownie are obviously both sons of NBA legends. You both went to see her canyon. You both made it the NBA, right, So you're similar in those ways. And you guys were both in the G League, and I feel like people get unnecessary hate for being in the G League. People don't understand that the G League is there to help you and it's very much. I mean, I feel like your path has been amazing. I don't want to take words out of your mouth, but I feel like since having played in the G League, you've clearly blossomed into such a great NBA player. What do you want? What would you tell the average person who doesn't understand the talent level in the G League?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I usually love the G League. I feel there's so much talent in there, and it's like so many guys that get you know, underlooked or and just undervalued. I feel that the league was huge for me just to go down there and just play and just show what I could do against you know, like super talented guys. Yeah, it was one of my most you know, fun times playing basketballs because it's kind of like AAU. You know, it's like AAU because you're traveling and you're staying in hotels that you know, it's different in the NBA. It's nice, you know, it's a way different you know, lifestyle. But I just said, the g LE is super competitive and super talented. You know. You know a lot of our guys on our team now with the Grids, that played in the G League. So I feel like, you know, I think that's going to continue to happen. You can see a lot more guys than the GV come to the NBA, you know, do special things. So for someone like Bronie, I feel like it's good that he's able to go down there and just you know, just play. You know, at first he started a little shaky, but you know he's putting the numbers now and people really aren't saying too much now, but even Tho, he's putting up numbers and doing well. So you know, I feel like you're going to see a lot more people coming out the G League.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Is there anyone else that you want to shout out that you think deserves some NBA minutes that's currently in the g.
Speaker 1: I'll say Cole Swider. I play with him my first year with the Lakers on the two way, and then you know, he bouced around a little bit. But you know, he's probably the best shoot I've ever played with. Really. Yeah, So he in the g lea now, right, He just you know, made his way back there. He's with the you know, Lakers g League. So I thank him for sure.
Speaker 2: I love that all right. So there's about twenty ish games left in the season. What are your regular season goals for these last twenty games.
Speaker 1: I always say that A main healthy, you know, our team's battle the injuries, you know, you know, knock on wood. I've been pretty healthy this year. I haven't missed any games. But for main healthy, just finish off the West in the West, pretty high in standings, and just prepare ourselves in playoffs. You know, we have highest protections for this team. You know, our team hasn't really you know, no one than these teams really accomplished anything in their careers. So we're all super hungry, super you know, willing to do whatever it takes to win. So I feel like, you know, this year could be our year to make a push, and if we don't, it's definitely a letdown. So I feel like that's the goal for sure.
Speaker 2: Memphis are hustling.
Speaker 1: See what I did there with exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: What is the best advice you've been given by one of your veteran teammates.
Speaker 1: I would say, want to scannell you know, Afscona Anderson my first year kind of told me, you know, there's NBA changes every day. You know, don't get too high, don't get too low. And you know, being around him, he kind of I seen him, you know, go starting and the kind of out the rotation and then just like by sitting back and just watching him say out of that kind of just I've kind of seen it to him throughout my career, like you know this year, you know, once I'm starting to a couple of games and then he didn't play, and then yes they're starting again, So like every day is changing. So just you know, stay ready to work on your body, work on your mind, and just every day is going to change. So just stay raised day, lock down.
Speaker 2: Like I'm glad you shouted out Jta. He's a slow nose alone one of my favorite players.
Speaker 1: That's oh my god, yeah, so cool.
Speaker 2: All right, So next we're going to move into the rapid fire section. So you know we were just chatting before, but now we've got to get like a lot quicker and just like very quick simple answers to get it going. Okay, Okay, are you ready?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm okay.
Speaker 2: So what is one aspect of your game that you are most proud of?
Speaker 1: My defense?
Speaker 2: What is one aspect of your game that you want to improve? Shooter in the next five years? Who is going to be the face of the league? And why.
Speaker 1: Hopefully Wemby if you say it's healthy h just because you just such a knock on what crazy knock on Wes crazy hoping that it could you just such a different talent like you just don't see two a new player with back totally?
Speaker 2: Uh, who is your dream NBA player to share the court with?
Speaker 1: My teammate Jammer?
Speaker 2: It's a good one, I think. I mean, for having only played three years in the league, you've literally played with like every person. What answer?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've definitely played like my dream player, like Lebron Westbrook and like d Rose. Yeah, and then just like those like the guys I would want to play with.
Speaker 2: Totally, who is your dream NBA player to play against? Someone not currently in the league. Maybe a guy who played a while ago that you've always wanted to play against.
Speaker 1: My dad.
Speaker 2: Okay, if you and your dad one B one first to eleven.
Speaker 1: What would the score be in his prime or.
Speaker 2: In his prime? In his prime, Scottie in your prime? In his prime?
Speaker 1: I feel like his height gets him an advantage. Okay, I'm a little quicker, though offensively I'm better than him. I don't know. I think you gotta put that on two K and see what they do.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's do it. Let's do it. After we're gonna.
Speaker 1: Play, I'll say probably like eleven nine. Okay, eleven nine. It's gonna be it's gonna be cool, it's gonna be a hard fall game. But I'll say eleven nine.
Speaker 2: But as your dad, I feel like dad's always let their sons win. Or you don't think so, like he's for that.
Speaker 1: My dad's to competitive, he never Okay, Okay.
Speaker 2: What is your favorite clothing brand?
Speaker 1: Don't have one?
Speaker 2: Who is the best trash talker in the NBA.
Speaker 1: Could be thrown out of the NBA too, Yeah?
Speaker 2: Classic? Okay, what is your post game cheat meal?
Speaker 1: I would to say probably cheeseburger.
Speaker 2: From yeah, yeah, shake, Yeah, what flavor?
Speaker 1: What if shake? Yeah? Cookies and crane.
Speaker 2: I am not that big of a cookies and cream fan. Like I actually feel like when you are If you're having that by itself, that's one thing, but if you're also getting the burger in the fries, I just need like a classic like vanilla or chocolate. Too much is going on when it's a cookie?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like it.
Speaker 2: I guess if it's your cheat meal, you might as well just do it all. What is your favorite restaurant in La.
Speaker 1: Oh? Probably nice Guy?
Speaker 2: Nice Guy. Yeah, my mom's birthday party was there once. The food is good, all right, So what is your favorite food?
Speaker 1: My favorite food changes. I feel like something that like sushi, something like Italian and then like American like steak, mashed potatoes. So mat me switching up?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, I like all foods. I could never answer one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get memaphis it's kind of hard to get like sushi, so like someone's like Craven when I'm here, so like like that.
Speaker 2: What's your go to sushi restaurant in La Oh? There's so many to choose from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I don't know. I like Noble Catch is good too. Oh, God, sue you.
Speaker 2: I don't know classic. I know, can't see a spicy tun of Chrispy Rice for me?
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you could go to dinner with anyone dead or alive, who would it be?
Speaker 1: Michael Jackson?
Speaker 2: What would you say to him?
Speaker 1: I don't know, probably just more so to be listening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you'd want to hear what he said.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought he this so iconic, just to say you want to do on him? It was kind of crazy, totally.
Speaker 2: What is your favorite movie?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I feel like I always get this question. I never know what to answer it.
Speaker 2: Really because you have too many or you just don't have a favorite.
Speaker 1: I just don't have a favorite, like, like I'll said, maybe Dark Knight, like ba Man, Dark Knight.
Speaker 2: Do you have a favorite TV show?
Speaker 1: I'm watching a walk in there right now, so I'll say I've been enjoying that.
Speaker 2: So I'm too scared to watch that. I think I'd freak out.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's that scared of like I'm kind of just like used to that kind of like build one toilet, so first I see, I see.
Speaker 2: What is your favorite video game?
Speaker 1: Call of Duty or Madden Okay, what.
Speaker 2: Is your favorite podcast? There's a pretty obvious answer. You're Scotty.
Speaker 1: Let's see if you can get it right.
Speaker 2: Do you listen to podcasts though in your free time?
Speaker 1: Or no? More so just like clips of them if I won't TikTok or something, or like social media Instagram stuff like that. I wouldn't say that I'm a big like I just sit around and watch podcast.
Speaker 2: Me neither really, but I do. But you know, someone's hard. I feel like I'm doing this so much and then I forget to actually sit down and listen.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Do you have a hidden talent?
Speaker 1: I could play a piano?
Speaker 2: Really once you learn that when you were a kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my mom like forcemen like piano lessons and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's very fitting for Vanderbilt. Now I understand why E went there. Okay, if you had to describe your game in one word, what would it be?
Speaker 1: Competitor?
Speaker 2: I like it. What is your favorite song?
Speaker 1: Don't have one?
Speaker 2: Don't have one? I can tell you're very we're very well media trained, Scottie. You don't have any favorites.
Speaker 1: You just like everything.
Speaker 2: That's how you know that you're an NBA player's son. You don't have, Yeah, what is your favorite ice cream flavor? You can answer that that's not political in any sense an ice cream flavor.
Speaker 1: I also like cake batter cake.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't think I've ever had that. I like, oh, oh my god, I've never tried it.
Speaker 1: I need you got to take that out. You got to take that.
Speaker 2: I always get really good food recommendations on slow Noes. I'm very excited about that one because I love ice cream and I love cakes, so like cake batter ice cream. That sounds fire. What is your go to emoji?
Speaker 1: Also? Like the laugh film more? You like the tears coming up?
Speaker 2: Have you used the new like genmoji filter? You can like make your own AI emoji?
Speaker 1: Na? Is that better than better than? Well?
Speaker 2: It's like, think about if you have like a really niche thing you want to send an emoji to, like you know, I don't know, I can't even like think of one, but like if you want to do like a grizzly bear dunking right, then it's like very like niche. She can do the actual emoji, it's not as like classic. I think you should try. You can send that to the Grizzlies group chat you know if you okay, good? What is your favorite candy?
Speaker 1: Our favorite candy? I like the you know, like the little pez things, like the little head.
Speaker 2: Yes, but I've never heard someone say that was their favorite.
Speaker 1: I like the I used to have it, like a whole big box.
Speaker 2: They're fun to play with, but they don't I don't think they taste good.
Speaker 1: And then it tastes good nose after why after while, they get like, yeah, it's like Chalky.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't really vibe with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Who is the most famous person in your car on tacks?
Speaker 1: Lebron?
Speaker 2: Of course. I mean, if you have Lebron in your contacts, no one can get cooler than that. Who is your celebrity lookalike?
Speaker 1: I don't do I have one?
Speaker 2: Well, your dad that would be.
Speaker 1: One I can say. Yeah, I don't know. Besides that, I'm mostly like other basketball players.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I do think your brother Justin looks a lot like you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he cut his hair.
Speaker 2: Oh oh oh, he's trying to be your twin now, I see.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: So. You know, you were just recently in high school and you know what superlatives are. Right in the yearbook, It's like, who's the most likely to succeed. Who's the most likely to be president? You know that. So we're gonna play superlatives. But with the Grizzlies. So who is the best cook on the team?
Speaker 1: Best cook? I feel like Jay Huff?
Speaker 2: What is? What? Does he cook?
Speaker 1: Or he not? He's never cooked it?
Speaker 2: You're just assuming.
Speaker 1: I see.
Speaker 2: If one player on the team could be your stylist, who would it be?
Speaker 1: I'll say, jah, Okay, if you.
Speaker 2: Had to make one phone call to save your life and you had to call a member of the Grizzlies, who would you call? And why.
Speaker 1: For them to answer?
Speaker 2: You're saying yeah, like they had to answer else?
Speaker 1: Oh how far? I say, Yuki? I I feel like he would answer the phone.
Speaker 2: It was so funny at All Star game. I walked out of the hotel where all the players were saying and all these fans are looking to get photos with people, and I go, oh, look, there's Yuki and no one in the whole place. Notice like they're freaking out all the players, and it just looked like he was one of the fans, like very chill answering the.
Speaker 1: Phone, Yeah for sure.
Speaker 2: Does the team have a group chat? And if so, who texts the most, and what is the group chat called.
Speaker 1: I can't give you the name. Chair. I'll say that people text the most will probably be like Jaron and jah mm hmmm, because they're being like everyone's kind of active in their dead in there too. Yeah, it's pretty much active like if won the row, if someone needs something, I find G's in there too, like if he loses, loses a lot of stuff. So he's always like, there's anyone seen this like that?
Speaker 2: On the team bus, who gets the ox?
Speaker 1: Jaren Jaren?
Speaker 2: What does he play?
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, he plays a little everything. He plays like playboard CARDI name Ken Carson. He had like a super like like a huge variety, Like it's like one thing.
Speaker 2: If you got the ox, what would you play?
Speaker 1: A little Dirk? That's probably my main artist out Uh.
Speaker 2: Who on the team could play another sport.
Speaker 1: Professionally, any sport.
Speaker 2: Any sport, but they had to be pro.
Speaker 1: I'll say Lukenard pretty good.
Speaker 2: That's a little stereotypical, but yeah, I think so it's funny. Yeah, I think so. I can see that all right. So lastly, we're gonna play a segment called Sloan Knows Your Game Trivia, Right, So it's in the name, right, Like, I need your game. I think that I may know a little bit more about your game than you do. So I'm gonna ask you trivia questions about yourself. Let's see how well you do, all right, Scotty, how many regular season NBA games have you played?
Speaker 1: Eighty seven?
Speaker 2: Oh my god?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was a guest. I just guess how many games are this year? And I just guess last year. Wow?
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Again, you're now I really get why you went to Vannerbilt thinking math I could not have counted that fast. That's insane. Okay, so one point, but I feel like you need to get like extra points for that. That was insane? All right? So, uh, in your thirty point career high game, who did you play against? Who on that team had the most points? And how many points did the Grizzlies win by? This is a three parter.
Speaker 1: It was against the Bulls. Correct, zach Lyov had the most points?
Speaker 2: Correct? How many points?
Speaker 1: I want to say he had? Thirty? High twenties.
Speaker 2: You were about to say it I a nine, yes, okay? And then how many points did the Grizzlies win by?
Speaker 1: Seven? Oh?
Speaker 2: You're almost so close to being the best slow nose trivia player of all time. And then you got that wrong eleven but close enough. Okay, all right, what is the Grizzlies as a team's three point percentage this season? And what do they rank amongst teams in the league?
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, I want to say thirty five, very.
Speaker 2: Close, thirty six point eight but okay, around around that. And what do you guys rank amongst.
Speaker 1: Teams in the league to the top fifteen, Yes, in the top fifteen, I'll set eleven.
Speaker 2: Wow, Scottie, you're really good at this. It is eleven. It is eleven. You may be Wow, you're I think you may be in the Hall of Fame of Slow nose Trivia players. This is impressive. What day did you make your MBA debut?
Speaker 1: It was the first game of the season, so was a I don't know, is it October or something?
Speaker 2: Yes, it's in October. Do you know the year?
Speaker 1: Well, twenty twenty two?
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, now guess the date.
Speaker 1: I want to slight the eighteen Yeah, oh my god, yes, actually wow.
Speaker 2: October eighteenth, twenty twenty two. Holy, do you have like a photographic memory or something?
Speaker 1: Low key? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Low key? Because that was insane. Let's see if you can do these two, because these two are challenging. All right, what was your exact stat line when you had your first career triple double.
Speaker 1: On ten point eleven assists and rebounds?
Speaker 2: Okay, sort of you confuse it up a little eleven points eleven assists, ten boards, but close enough. You still got the numbers right.
Speaker 1: Just not the cat.
Speaker 2: And then lastly, how many Instagram followers do you have?
Speaker 1: Like four hundred and ninety thousand, four hundred.
Speaker 2: Nine thousand, but I'll give you I guess I'll give you that point Okay, well round up exactly. We don't know if it's point five, but okay, Scotty. My last question for you, who do you want to nominate to be the next guest on Slow Nos. But there's a catch. You actually have to help get them on.
Speaker 1: Oh I feel like it has one team.
Speaker 2: I feel like it has to be too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm trying to think of who is it might be a man Yuki. I feel like he's super entertaining, easy to get it down. It's like, yeah, huge fan base that can help you help there.
Speaker 2: After that, we're definitely making a group chat me even Yuki getting Yuki on. Well, Scotty, thank you, thank you so much for being on. This is so much fun.
Speaker 1: Definitely I appreciate you having me.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to this episode of Sloane Notes. You can get links to my socials and see behind the scenes fun from Scotty and I in the show notes, or just search at Sloane Nose on Instagram, TikTok and YouTube. Remember that's slow as the knee