Speaker 1: So I recently met an old friend started dating this guy, and it was one of those experiences that you don't have as you get older, where you just like immediately bond with somebody. You're like, oh, we're going to be friends, We're going to just like and so he and I just started. He's a cinematographer and a director and has worked in the industry forever, started as a camera operator. Anyway, we were like just having that, Like we had two days at a convention and we were just having so much fun talking and at one point he goes, you know, I worked with I worked with Will Fredell. And I was like what, and he's like, yeah, yeah, yeah, And he tell me this story. He worked on Go Fish with you. He was a camera operator on Go Fish, the show that you did after Okay, he told me the funniest story. He's like, you know, he's like, there was there was a there was a young woman who was a I think she was a stand in or maybe a guest star. And he's like, and there's Will. He's like the handsomest, coolest guy with the teen bead hair and everything, and he's asking me for advice. How do I talk to this girl, and he was like it was so adorable. I was like, no, that sounds like Will, that's what he's like. I just remember being like, dude, like you're asking me, I can't help you, like you gotta just talk to her, but to talk to some girl on set and you and he was like just baffled. But he loved it. He was like, yeah, Will and I had a great time. It was so fun to hang out a team. Charles. I actually don't know his last name, but yeah, but he was the nicest guy, and like that's good.
Speaker 2: First of all, we're gonna blow past the fact that you're out there making new friends.
Speaker 3: I mean, are you surprised?
Speaker 1: What do you?
Speaker 2: But it's just it still hurts occasionally. I mean when you realize that we're not enough for you.
Speaker 4: Oh well no, but you should know that. Because he has the opportunity to hang out with us, and we are on the road, you'd think, well, who else would you hang out with?
Speaker 3: Guess what the answer is almost anyone?
Speaker 1: Anybody.
Speaker 2: Anyone else is the answer for writer, anyone else be like, hey, you guys, I.
Speaker 1: Spend a lot of time with you.
Speaker 3: No you don't, yes, I do. Just we're here to tell you no, you don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guys don't come out with me. I'm always like after a show, I'll be like, hey, let's go get a drink, let's go get some food, and you guys are like, I'm going to my room, I'm ordering in and I'm going to sit thirty.
Speaker 4: Hold on, Also, that's not true. We do that when you're like, I'm going out with my friend. You don't even invite us to go along with you.
Speaker 1: So we go.
Speaker 3: Okay, Then I guess Will and I will go to.
Speaker 1: Bed separately, separately. Yeah, that's yeah, I agree. Anyway, I thought it was funny to make a kid have a story that went back to two thousand Wilfred Dell. I was like, that's exactly my friend Will like, you know him, Well, I can't. I can't talk to girls, And.
Speaker 5: Luckily now I don't have to Susan, which is great.
Speaker 3: Do you find it easy to talk to Susan most of the time?
Speaker 1: A lot of times he has to call me and be like, how do I talk to her? Will? Come on? I wanted to go on a date with me. I'm still convinced.
Speaker 2: I just like to let her know that, you know, I try to keep her down as much as possible because if she finds out that she can do better than me, which she can, I'm screwed right, She's out. So I just try to make her feel like, you know, this is the best you can do, knowing full well she could throw a stone.
Speaker 1: And hits somebody better than me.
Speaker 4: So yeah, hopefully she did marry you though, So that's a good sign.
Speaker 1: That's true. That's true. It's usually a good sign that it can work, that it will work out. So that's good.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Pod meets World. I'm Daniel Fishel.
Speaker 1: I'm right or strong, and I just don't know how to talk to her. So if I mean do I just go, I'm will.
Speaker 4: This past month, a TikTok video from creator Nicole's story Dent went viral where she was walking through her local department store and noticed something very familiar. The mannequins displayed on the floor were wearing outfits that looked almost exactly like clothing scene on Boy Meets World, Sean Corey.
Speaker 3: Mister Feeney, even Minkis.
Speaker 4: She matched the looks with screenshots from the show, and it was mind blowing.
Speaker 3: Now is then?
Speaker 6: Then?
Speaker 3: Is now? We are all connected. That's right. Thirty years later, time.
Speaker 4: Is a flat circle, and now it appears our classic nineties wardrobe is again in style and being marketed to young kids and adults prepping for spring.
Speaker 3: How does that happen?
Speaker 4: How do short sleeve shirts on top of long sleeve shirts and sweater vests with military style, fuzzy collared jackets and wool professor blazers find themselves available in twenty twenty six decades later. That's the work of a good costumer. A few seasons back, we talked to the great Sarah Moskowitz, who was a driving force and getting us out of those XXL shirts and into clothes that actually fit.
Speaker 3: But from seasons three.
Speaker 4: Through seven there was another name we remembered fondly, and that is this week's guest.
Speaker 3: Young enough to be a part of our crew.
Speaker 4: She came from the world of Martin Lawrence, working on his stylistically forward sitcom and movies, and then joined us and stayed through the finale.
Speaker 3: And since those.
Speaker 4: Days her resume is chock full of projects cooler than Boy Meets World. We've got Vampire Diaries, Breaking Bad Ocean's eleven American horror story and recently a show that earned her an Emmy nomination, Star Wars the Mandalorian. How she was unable to get us cast as Stormtroopers we will never know. And so now we are excited to welcome a crew FA favorite to Pod Meets World. The reason our costumes are now years later hip with the kids.
Speaker 3: It's Julie Yang Silver, Julie.
Speaker 1: Are you there?
Speaker 6: Yes? Well not?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's so good to see you.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, thank you so much for being here. You have not changed a single.
Speaker 1: Day, the same everybody.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, get you guys. Hi, We're so now.
Speaker 6: Oh it's been like twenty five years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I don't think I've seen you since the show ended, right.
Speaker 4: Like, no, so twenty six years ninety nine. Really, I mean the show own off in two thousand. But oh my god, we are so happy to see you. And I want you to know, like ninety five percent of our memories of you involved the idea that you were very very cool. So will you please set the record straight? Were you very cool?
Speaker 6: I was very cool. I got so to your age. I thought you guys were amazing, And I mean there's a whole story behind it. I mean I look back now and I'm like, holy crap, I was twenty six, yeah, which is so weird because it felt like I was so much older, you know, and you guys really weren't. I mean, I wasn't that much older than you nothing, you Will.
Speaker 1: Wait, so you were twenty six when you started or when you finished?
Speaker 6: No, I think I was. I was twenty six when I started, because I think it was yeah in ninety.
Speaker 4: You started in like ninety six. Yeah, yeah, wow you I mean.
Speaker 1: I was, I'm not that much older. No, So I was sixteen then, and Will would have been.
Speaker 3: Like what.
Speaker 1: One? Yeah like that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oh my god, so funny.
Speaker 4: It was one of the first things I said when we were talking about having you on and Jensen was asking about, you know, things that we remember, and I said, more than any other crew member, it felt like you were just our age.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, Julie, you must have been the youngest crew member then, right.
Speaker 6: I was. I don't know if you guys recall, but I went and got my US citizenship and I went to night. It was on a Friday night we were taping, and I went and got sworn in, and then I came back to the show and we were just started and I was like, yeah, I'm legit, and I had like my little thing. They put me on camera and I was like, this is so weird.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 4: So it would have been a Thursday night because we taped on Thursdays.
Speaker 6: That's right, it would have been a Thursday night. But I just remember it was the best time with you guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was really so much fun. Another thing I have to talk to you about because again I've been so excited to have you on, and we have talked so much on our podcast, so much about Will and I smoking. I think I'm now at the ripe old age of forty four. I think I'm old enough to admit to my mother the very first cigarette I ever had was when I stole from Julie.
Speaker 1: Corrupting the youth.
Speaker 4: She had a pack of smokes, like in her bag and I was like, oh, were you was it Marlboro reds lights lights?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I going out with Will and would be like outside, be like all.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, and you were like away from your bag, and I think you knew.
Speaker 3: I think you kind of.
Speaker 4: Knew I was stealing cigarettes from you, and you were just like, I'm not going to pay any attention to this.
Speaker 1: But I.
Speaker 4: My first cigarette I ever had was one I stole out of your bag and then smoked alone, like.
Speaker 3: A weirdo who had the first cigarette?
Speaker 4: Like, but what they steal and then smokes alone like a total weirdo.
Speaker 3: But I did, just I have.
Speaker 4: I have thought of you many a times over the years.
Speaker 1: When you wake up in the morning coughing.
Speaker 3: Julian Bright.
Speaker 6: It was so weird because I saw you had changed your last name, and so I sent you know, and it it's the message. I think it was like two or three years ago. And then when this whole thing came up, I saw you responded you were like, oh my god, I never.
Speaker 3: Saw this so funny on Instagram.
Speaker 6: I don't remember.
Speaker 3: Okay, well I just wrote to you on Facebook.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Mine was on Facebook.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, because when we when we talked about wanting to have you on I said, let me see if I can find her on Facebook. And then I found you on Facebook and saw your message and was like, hey, just seeing.
Speaker 3: This, oh, which was the truth.
Speaker 2: Danielle's got a history of maybe not seeing messages so much on Facebook.
Speaker 3: I know, we are so happy to have you here. I have to know.
Speaker 4: I want to jump into how what is your costuming origin story? What did how did you get the job on Boy Meets World? Was Boy Meets World's your first job? How did you start at such a young age?
Speaker 6: Okay, so I did go to a fashion school for like a year. I couldn't afford it, and I ended up just I was going to merchandise marketing and I was at FIDM. Couldn't afford my second year. So then I was like, Okay, well, I'm just going to keep working in the industry. Cut to a couple of years later. I was dating this guy who was a stage manager and the company I worked for went under, and so he was like, Hey, do me a favor. Can you bring me this, you know, this thing that I left at my house? And I was like, yeah, sure, no problem. So I go and I'd drop it off and he introduced it was back in the Oh my gosh, the Power Ranger Error the entertainment. So it was a show called Tattoo Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills Show.
Speaker 1: Awesome show.
Speaker 6: I ended up meeting the designer there and Eddie Castro, who was phenomenal, and him and I just kind of hit it on and he was super great and he was like, oh, will you come help me on something? And I was like yeah, sure, you know, and he's like, i'll pay you one hundred dollars. And at that time I wasn't working. I was actually helping out in my parents' restaurant, and so I was like sure. Come to find out, it was like sixteen hours.
Speaker 3: Oh for one hundred dollars.
Speaker 6: One hundred bucks. But I had the best time I and it was like a commercial, so there was like food galore catering. I was like sucked in by the food and I thought, oh, well that's like.
Speaker 1: Fun craft service. How they get you out, how they get you out.
Speaker 6: So they totally did. So it went really quick. I was really lucky got started with him, and within about a year I got into the Union amazing, and I was working for an actor that I decided not to go back to work with him, and my friend Eddie calls me up and he was like, Hey, they're looking for, you know, like a supervisor slash designer on this kid show called Boy Meet's World. I'm like, you've got to be me, Like, I haven't done this for very long. I've liked supervised. I've been doing this for maybe two years, pops, and he was like, no, I think you should go do it. So we did a whole board and everything. And I was so nervous.
Speaker 1: Oh so you had you had to kind of audition, Oh yeah, ideas of Oh that's so cool.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, I had to kind of you know, And so I came in and met with Michael Jacobs and I was completely nervous, and I was thinking, there's no way, you know. I mean, I remember at that time I even had I had cut my hair short because I looked so young and nobody was taking me seriously. And so I went in and Michael was like, yeah, okay, and he had, you know, very strong ideas about what he wanted you guys to be in, yeah, and everything. So I was like, okay, it's you know, I get to go shop, you know, I think I can do this and lo and behold, you know I did, and he hired me. And I was like, why in the world did he hire me? Like I had hardly anything on my resume, let alone even design. You know, I don't even I don't have that creative creative like because most designers are like kind of crazy.
Speaker 1: But but the ary is that you're trying to look older by cutting your hair. But the reality but you being younger was probably an asset.
Speaker 6: It was, it was, and I think, like I think, like a year into it, I remember asking Michael. I was like, why did you hire me? He was like, well, I figured, you know, if I didn't like what you did, I just fire you.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's about right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's all right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how far we get too into our time on Boy Meets World. I got very into the look of the Beverly Hills alien fighters when I was doing some research on you and Will and writer. I would like for you to take a look at some of these and Julie, could you please tell us the inside story on some of these costumes.
Speaker 3: Let's go to the picture.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh, oh my, yes, yes, these are the tattoo teenagers from Beverly Hills.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, aliens. Yes.
Speaker 6: Okay, so I was helping. I actually didn't design that. That was from Eddie was designing it. Wow.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 6: Yeah. That was like back in the days of like the power ranges, anything that was like fitted that showed off everything and it was kind of great.
Speaker 4: So for our dear listeners who maybe don't see this right away. It is lay text, just skin tex, skin tight lateext with arm muscles like glistening. But the the like body oil glow is also all over the latex, so it's just like and then there's masks. Are they also Latex masks?
Speaker 6: They were kind of Latex masks, but that stuff gets really like ye to eat, eat and hot, so they had to make it so it was more like something they can just pull over and we put the latex over that to help fit it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean in those days, it was like you suffered, you sucked it up, and you just did.
Speaker 1: Now were any of these looks on your vision board?
Speaker 2: For I can see shine, and I can see.
Speaker 1: Matt Lawrence could have pulled off some latex. He could have It would have been great.
Speaker 6: I think I would pitch for Cory, you know, but.
Speaker 3: I can see that funny.
Speaker 1: Do you remember what you pitched? Do you remember what your your board looked like?
Speaker 6: My gosh, it was very he wanted. I mean it was back in the whole, you know, t g I. So it was all about wholesome, very down to earth. I mean, you guys were like the next like happy days. Yeah, really normal, you know, Midwest, like everybody wanted to be you. So that was what the idea of Disney was doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you get Boy Meets World, Michael hires you because worst case scenario, he's going to fire you.
Speaker 6: I kept thinking for like, I want to say, the first three months, I was like, he's going to fire me, right.
Speaker 3: I'm not going this job. I'm not the rest of the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh my gosh, that's unbelievable. When did you then start working with the Red Hot Martin Lawrence?
Speaker 6: That was when I first It was the same thing with Eddie. He called me up and he was like, Hey, I'm doing this little showtime thing, come do it with me. And I was like, oh okay, and so I went. We were like out in the desert and stuff like that. So then that finished and then he was like, oh, I'm doing this other you know show, and that show was the one that turned union and I got in the union. But it was literally just Eddie, me and I think I hired. I hired my friend who I ended up firing because show up one day. It was like back in the days, like you did everything. I mean, I think at one point. I even we had a pool scene and I the wind was blowing and the actress was on a raft and I actually got in the water with a straw to hold her in place because I was the smallest one and I fit underneath. Gosh, it was a fun It was a fun show. I think I even have a little can in it. No, he was that it was. It was really funny. I had my headset on and they were like, you're gonna be one of the go go dancers at the club. So they harnessed me up high and I'm on my walkie and I'm like telling people like no, no, no, no, get his outfit off, get his hat off. So there's like a really quick shot. I haven't seen it. I think I decided to blur that away. I was like twenty four years old.
Speaker 1: A lot of stuff too, Julie, we blur a lot of stuff. Sure, don't worry about it.
Speaker 4: So you you did all of that before you joined Boy Meets World.
Speaker 6: Yes, And then from there I went to uh work on his TV show, and then I did nothing to lose with him and Tim Robbins, who I love. Tim was fabulous.
Speaker 2: Oh great, I think one of the kind of underrated films of the nineties.
Speaker 1: I'm not joking. This film, Oh Nothing to Lose is so great.
Speaker 2: So Martin Lawrence, he plays a carjacker who Tim Robbins comes home and he finds he sees his wife Kelly Preston, having an affair, and he just walks out of the house and he drives and he gets carjacked by Martin Lawrence and he looks at him and he just goes, man, did you pick the wrong guy and on the wrong day, and just takes off with the carjacker in the car. And it's the adventure that they then have together, and it is just so it's Oda Kirk.
Speaker 1: It's uh yeah Kirk. No, not Bob, Steve Steve Kirk.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Julie. I hate to do this.
Speaker 4: I am on the road touring with the Dancing with the Stars tour. So I'm gonna hop off because I have the bus is waiting for me downstairs to head to the venue. The guys are going to finish the interview with you.
Speaker 3: We need to catch up.
Speaker 4: Even if we can't see each other face to face for a while, we need to catch up. I'd love to talk to you over the phone, so I'm so mad that I have to miss the rest of this interview.
Speaker 1: But to go about Ryan and I are going to do a much interview question why I want to keep.
Speaker 2: Talking about Martin because at the time this show was like a cultural phenomenon, the Martin Lawrence Show. And one of the reasons I think was because of the look of the show that there was a even the the the opening title sequence, there's kind of pastel looks and there was a vibe to Martin. And how much of that did you contribute to when it came to the look of the characters.
Speaker 6: Honestly, I personally did not, but because my job was just to take care of him, I worked with him on a thin line between love and hate. That's the show that ended up going union. I mean the day we turn Union, I think the gangs we were shoe in a very bad area and there was a truce call between I think the Crips and the Blood for us to be able to film there, and then we had a bunch of delays and health issues that Martin went through, and they the Crips and Blood got really kind of pissed and basically said they gave us, like I think like a time frame. And the day that we striked to turn Union Are, the neighbors all came out and they were like, you guys need to get out before sundown because they're going to start taking potshots at you. I mean literally, the producers came by. I were like grabbing the stuff, and the producers like yelling at me, get in your car and leave. And I was like, but there's still some clothes. I got to get the dressing, the set dressing. You was like, get in your car and leave now, and oh, yeah, it was. We didn't realize that because we had this huge cast like Bobby Brown and you know, obviously Martin, and it was. It was a fabulous show. But we had several delays and they did not want us there. They did not want us in that neighborhood, and they wanted us out. So then after that, that's when I went to go work on Martin and I basically just took care of him. I made sure that, you know, everything that he needed. I don't know about you guys, but I mean actors have they do have a lot of say in the colors and you know what fits. I mean, obviously it's a collaborated effort, but you guys do have quite a bit of influence.
Speaker 1: Well it's funny because I don't think we thought we did back on boybats the world, Like I feel like we like Will and I definitely did not have any taste or opinions. So was that a good thing for you or did you do like you do? You remember like dressing us and just telling us what to wear? What was your relationship?
Speaker 6: I remember dressing you guys and telling you guys what to wear. I also remember at different parts I was like, is there something different, like how do you feel about this character? And we all would just be like, eh, miswetter, you know, that's pretty much it.
Speaker 1: And then.
Speaker 6: For you it was more of like oh another T shirt, okay, with another thing. It was like, you know, we kind of went through the little more eclectic trying to make you a little more you know, fool and and Will was just like sweaters and regular button down shirts and you know, so it was we could not go too far out. I mean we were really dictated a lot by that wholesome yeah, right.
Speaker 1: Right, So was it creatively satisfying at all or was it just sort of like a fun job, you know, in terms of being able to the set and the dynamics.
Speaker 6: It was a fun job. There were times that do you guys remember what was that episode that we did with like World War two?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, like.
Speaker 6: That was a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah right.
Speaker 2: We did have a couple kind of out of when you were there, a couple out of the box ones. We did the black and white one, like the Casablanca one. Yeah, and we did the fifties. Were you there for the fifties one? Or did you came you came after the fifties one?
Speaker 6: I came after the fifties one.
Speaker 1: And you did the World War two? So you did the forties and then yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: It was we did, and especially for my character, there was a lot of times where there put me in some pretty weird like we just watched the Honeymoon episode where I'm a coconut at one point, and so that was that must have been an interesting especially by season six and seven, to get a script and it's like, oh, Will's a tree, Will's a couch, Will's.
Speaker 6: Well, it was kind of like if they were going to make anybody anything, it was going to be well right right, yeah right, so I know, I know, and it's also a very you know within like what that five years? Four years? It was hard to keep going. I mean, you guys were growing up, right, you know, started to actually really find your own identity and what you liked and you know, and but we still had to keep your character the same. But you guys had all grown out.
Speaker 1: Of that, right, right, So do you remember watching us go through awful adolescents and awkward faces? I mean, because it's so funny because in my mind I thought of you as somewhat of a contemporary like you. But I've listened to so I mean here I was like seventeen talking to you, like, I mean, do you do you remember? What do you remember about us personally? Like having to listen to our dumb love life problems or what was it?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 6: No, I remember Will when you were dating Jennifer and we went through that, oh gosh. And I remember when Matthew came in and you guys would to that.
Speaker 2: Singing dancing in front of the audience.
Speaker 6: Yeah, uh huh. And then you know, and I remember for a writer, like when Trina came along. She was so much older and having that kind of dynamic and it was just like wow, he's you know, and you did it beautifully. I think the most that I remember was more for Danielle because she was you know, and I related more to her just because she was a female and a young teenager growing up and and society and oh my gosh, there were so many discussions, heated discussions.
Speaker 1: About her wardrobe or yes.
Speaker 6: Ye, and that Karen the producer, Karen Machine. Yeah, she was a huge Danielle advocate and her not. She would me up and we would go against Michael and he would just be like, well, no, I don't like. I was like, you're never going to open your mouth and ever say something like that again. We will take care of it. We will. It's like, you know, there's this whole like image, right and how people looked and on camera it does add weight, you know, and when you're of short stature and definitely things change, and so it that part we had a tiptoe.
Speaker 2: Well, it's interesting that you mentioned that because one of the things Danielle talked about, and I'm sure she would have brought it up if she was not doing awesome things with amazing people around the world instead of us. We don't hold a grudge, if you know, obviously, I put on a bunch of weight towards the end. Danielle put on a little bit of weight towards the end, But of course it was all about how she put on so much weight. And one of the things she talked about was during the wedding episode. Specifically, she remembers that she was allowed to quote on quote, helped pick the dress, but none of them were allowed to be sleeveless. Yeah, and she thinks that one of the reasons that that was is because certain powers that be thought that she looked too heavy to show her arms bare.
Speaker 1: Is that, in fact what happened, Yes, it is, so you were just constantly having conversations about I was.
Speaker 6: Yes, it was constant conversation. And the thing was, Danielle was not heavy. No, no, my god, That's what I was trying to explain to them. I was like, she is still a size too, Like, I don't know what you guys are talking about, but because of her stature, and they were so used to seeing because she bloomed overnight. I think by the time when I started, she had grown outwards and.
Speaker 1: She wasn't eleven anymore. That's what happens.
Speaker 6: Exactly, But that was the thing though, was that you know, Danielle's not very tall, so if you are bustier and you're not very tall, you're going to look larger, right, And but she wasn't, like you guys saw her every single day. She was not large at all.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the thing. We talked about it.
Speaker 2: She put on probably she said like maybe eight pounds, nine pounds.
Speaker 1: I put on thirty.
Speaker 6: Well nobody really cared, that's right, it's nobody.
Speaker 1: That was the thing that was so amazing. That's the double standard, right, talk.
Speaker 2: About my my weight gain and changing my clothes or they were just like they don't care.
Speaker 1: They don't care at all. Yeah, let him go be funny, he'll put on a bigger shirt. We're fine, exactly.
Speaker 2: But Danielle, there were conversation after conversation about wow.
Speaker 6: I remember specifically, oh, and then like trying to hide Trina's pregnancy. But you guys remember the episode.
Speaker 1: The which one the prom Oh yeah yeah, sure.
Speaker 6: Okay, so Trina is like seven months pregnant, so you know, so we're trying to hide that. And and it was the same thing for Danielle where she needed sleeves and I was like, no, that's going to look ridiculous for prom like, absolutely ridiculous. So we ended up, you know, we did a shawl and I remember Karen and I we really went up to bat for that one, and we I think Karen and I mostly Karen too, was just like, you will never ever, we don't want to ever hear anybody say anything to Danielle about this.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay. I was going to ask, does she have any was she aware we discussions?
Speaker 6: I think she knew, but we really tried to like hide that from her in terms of because you know, she's a teenager, like that's going to get in her head. And that was the thing that Karen and I were both saying, was that she is a young woman and that could do so much psychological damage. This is so not worth it, right.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: So we were treading very very lightly, and yeah, there were some and I'm sure you know, Danielle knew, and you know, because I remember there were times when she would, you know, we would do sweaters and she would be like, I look so huge in this, and I was like, honey, that is an extra small yeah right, yeah, you know, and it's it was just being on camera like back then, like, we videotaped it, so it really did add more in with a certain camera angles and stuff. You know, it just made her look more compact. Yeah, but when you saw her in person, she was not even remotely close.
Speaker 2: No, we just watched the Honeymoon episode and one of the things we talked about was the fact that she comes out in a negligee. She's kind of naked under the under the cover she's doing all this, and I said, I was like, how four or five episodes from now we do an episode about how you've put on so much weight? I mean again, at that point, I was used to it so and I was a guy and I was funny, so it didn't matter. But as America's sweetheart, it was one of those things where we looked at her and it was like, how how could they look at what you look like there and be like, we got to do an episode about how you've put on weight?
Speaker 1: Like written, what how we're seeing the same thing.
Speaker 2: But that's also, I will say, to your credit, that's also where being closer to our age than almost anybody else on the set that we were.
Speaker 1: I mean that.
Speaker 2: You there were pas and people on the set like that were closer our age, but you don't really spend a lot of time with them, and it's not as intimate a relationship as somebody who's dressing you and we're doing fittings and you're doing and your room at the time became like our therapy place.
Speaker 1: This is a cool hangout spot. We would go and hang out with you. You and I would go smoke.
Speaker 2: I remember you mentioned love, and when I broke up with love, I remember you wouldn't you like to help me through that? I mean, it was that was one of those things where we just we hung out. We all hung out, and so it was when we were putting on way, breaking up with girlfriends, doing all that stuff, that's.
Speaker 1: We came to you. That was like the room where we hung out.
Speaker 6: That you guys are one of the main reasons why I loved doing what I did in all honesty, like I loved that family feel and everything, but I also tried to really make it so like I never you know, I didn't go out and party with you guys, or because I knew that you guys would be going out afterwards, and I'd be like, oh no, I think that's super crossing the line. And then but I was still just like, okay, you know, whatever you guys needed, I would be there. I mean, writer you were talking about, you know, going through that transition and everything and watching you guys grow up, Like watching you guys like throw your clothes on top of the closet when you're done, and we're trying to like jump up there to get your you know. By the end, I think they finally like begged you, like please write or just and you would just like okay, you would fold him and then put them on the thing. Then then we finally got him to just at least throw it on the floor. It was Yeah, it became like this game all of a sudden, and poor Cheryl, who was taking care of you guys, was just like, that's right, I need I need a step stool because they keep throwing it on top they keep throwing on top of their closet.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. I remember specifically being like I had to hang up my clothes, like I remember being taught like, and so by the time I was like seventeen eighteen, I was like, okay, I'm gonna hang out. But I also very specifically remember it being like a game where Ben would throw his shirts off. Yeah, throw them as far as he could. Yes, Oh my god, Oh, just to piss you guys off. I feel like, well, and.
Speaker 6: Cheryl loved Ben, so she would have done anything. And I would be like, do I need to talk to him? And she's like, no, no, no, he's just being a boy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: There's one other word we've heard quite a bit on this podcast, and I think it's the same word writer's going to say.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 1: So let's say at the same time rider one, two three tank Hank does this ring? Is this ring a bell for Morgan?
Speaker 6: Oh? Yeah?
Speaker 1: So we just watched the episode and it's where Lindsay Ridgeway, who was playing Morgan, goes on their first date at thirteen, right, And there's a whole scene where her dad Alan Rusty, freaks out about the fact that she's wearing a tankini. And we had Lindsay on the podcast and this was like one of her core memories from doing the show. Do you remember this at all or I remember.
Speaker 6: Bits and pieces. I just remember what was the big deal?
Speaker 5: Right? It was?
Speaker 6: It was made to be such a big deal. And and Lindsay plays younger than she really is, right, So she was just like what you know, and my whole thing was, like in any of that stuff, was just to make sure you guys are comfortable in it. And if you're not comfortable in it, I will go up to bat right. And I don't recall, I mean refresh my memory, what did lindsay say about it?
Speaker 1: She just was somewhat traumatized by having to wear something so scantily clad, you know, because it's like a weird tank top belly showing thing that I don't know if we invented the tanking or if the but it was it was in the script, so then yeah, you know there she just remembers there being a lot of discussion about, you know, how scantily claud she was going to look, and much how much to show, how much to make Yeah, because you know, the story point is that she's dressed too sexy for her dad, but of course she's still actually very much a little girl. And yeah, so she just remembers having to wear this, you know, very feeling.
Speaker 6: We had to shorten the top because most tankinis they're like one piece, not one piece, but the top is goes all the way down to your waist and then you have the bottoms I think we had to shorten them. I mean it was I would say it was probably hardest for Lindsey just because you're in front of a camera. You know, you're showing off everything. She's a teenager too, right, you know, she's growing up. So I don't know, maybe I just blocked it all out of my mind, any of the trauma of like things that I had to put you guys through.
Speaker 1: Right, all right, So after you leave Boy Meets World and and then you downgrade to a movie called Ocean's Eleven.
Speaker 2: With arguably the ugliest cast just in the history of Hollywood.
Speaker 1: So tell us about that. You worked on Ocean's Eleven, I did. It's a crazy scene to be a part. Oh my, tell us about it.
Speaker 6: It was. It was so much fun. I have never like that crew was like clockwork, like we were doing seven hour days. Call seriously, because he knew exactly how he wanted to shoot it and operated the camera. It was just and the entire cast, seriously, they I think they only each got like one perk. So to do that, to do that movie, that means like you know, like I mean, you get stars like George Clooney and Julie Roberts, you know, like Brad Pitt, they usually have like their own hair, makeups.
Speaker 2: There, you know, personal assistance trailers, yeah.
Speaker 6: Tons of stuff, but they each only picked one thing, and I think was it. George had his hairstylists wald I think was his name really Waldo, because we were always like, where's Waldo? I think Matt Matt had brought his own chef Brad. Brad had his own makeup artist who also did his hair. I think she did his hair. But they were all like I was. I was thinking, like, oh my gosh, we're going to be around a bunch.
Speaker 1: Of like diva.
Speaker 6: So much fun. Don Cheetle. I love him to death, you know, but you can also and like Brad Pitt, Oh my gosh, he was hilarious. He was really funny and a total gentleman, Like he is the type of guy that they're calling people onto set, so you know you're running with your step he will stop, holl the door open for you and make sure you go through. Totally nice, like really down to earth. We partied in Vegas a lot, and I remember we would come through at like I think it was like five o'clock in the morning and I'd be walking down the Bellaggio, like, you know, we'd be heading back to where we were staying at and I'd see Brad at a table and like the entire place was empty except for that table, and yeah, and I was walking by and Brad would be like, hey, Julie. I'd be like, oh hey, I'd walk over and we chat a little bit, and then I'd leave and I watch everybody's face like who is that? Who is that? I mean, it got to the point that we felt like wanting to take care of them because they were like real people. Sure, but the fan base was very bizarre.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm sure. Well what is it like?
Speaker 2: I mean, you're going from forget sitcom to film, which I want to get into because I know what a difference that is. But you're going from working with Disney, which is known to maybe squeeze a quarter till the Eagle screams, to Ocean's eleven, where you're dressing literally some of the best looking people in the history of the world. What kind of freedom did you have with that budget when it comes to the wardrobe compared to what you had on Boyby's World.
Speaker 6: Well, for that, I want to say, because I worked really close with the supervisor, and she was the one who kind of was like, you need to really start supervising, and I was like, oh no, I love being on set. I like working with the Actually like, no, you need to start supervising. And so I would stay there with her at night doing receipts and most of the paperwork stuff. So I got to see like the budget wise, it is insane.
Speaker 1: I couldn't even imagine.
Speaker 6: Everything on that show because Jeffrey Kurlin was a designer and he knew his down to the tee. Like I remember like running down the aisles like during the Vegas scenes, and he literally would be like, I'm going to change that person's necklace. That person needs ear rings. Yeah, there are a few designers that do that, and he is one of them. But for him, it's the entire look. He made every single thing, like every outfit, every shirt, Andy Garcia, everything tie, his shirt, his shuit, like everything was made down to his shoes. We made him shoes.
Speaker 1: It's so timelessly cool, like when you I love that movie and I still watch it because I teach now and I use it in screenwriting class, and it's still everybody still looks so stylish, like it's not dated at all, you know, it has this like everyone is just so effortlessly styled and cool. It's an amazing, amazing everyone.
Speaker 6: On that crew. I mean, Sodaberg, he's if you ever get a chance to work with him, it is amazing to watch. He knows exactly, he doesn't waste any time, he knows exactly what he wants, how he wants to shot, and it's just done. Like we never waited on the actors. They all just came. They all did their stuff like nobody was joking around. We were doing seven eight hour days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: That was now, did you what was how big a shift is it going from four camera sitcom to a film of that size?
Speaker 1: I mean, was this? It's two different.
Speaker 6: Worlds, right, yeah, completely different worlds?
Speaker 1: Is there one you prefer?
Speaker 6: It's so weird though, because I was, I felt like after the four camera it seemed such a piece of cake compared to everything else. Now, the stuff that we did for features, it was it was hard, but you had a longer time. You had time to prep it, you had time to make it, you know, and you had time to dress it, whereas on video or when we're doing four camera. It was very quick turnaround. I mean we were shopping putting stuff on you within like you know, a couple of days, and then you guys were on camera and then having to get approved.
Speaker 1: We wouldn't even know who the guest cast was until like the day.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we would get like maybe the day before or something like that. It's kind of like how they patterned the episodics. Episodics are the hardest things I've ever done. Wow, because you're prepping a show, wrapping a show, and shooting a show all within ten days, right and at the same time.
Speaker 1: And so this is when you're working on You went on to Nip Tuck, Yeah, Empire Diaries and then some Breaking Bad. Breaking Bad. Don't work on so many different things. It's like some of the coolest shows in the history. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I have been very, very fortunate the people that I have been introduced to and have remained really good friends. When I started on Nip Tuck, so lou Irick and who is the costume designer. She's just amazing. She does all of Ryan Murphy's staff, all the Americans, and and I adored her and she had this work ethic but not only that though, she was so incredibly creative, like the things that she would come up with, like she knew. But Ryan Murphy, the creator, he was like that, like he is the type of man that would call Lou up and say, so, I was walking down on fourth fifth Avenue in front of oh gosh, what showroom was it? And he's like, and I saw this dress, and I knew Kimber needed to have this dress. So of course we contacted the showroom and everything and found out and it was like like a five thousand dollars dress. There was nothing written in a script, but he was like, no, she is going to wear that at some point, so you know, it's down to the tea. That man is so incredibly creative and artistic, like he knew, like down to the lampshade right exactly how he wants it. And you know, and Lou has a huge like pedigree behind her too in terms of the shows that she's been on, and you know, and it's the details, like she's very into like the little details like just the belt could completely change an outfit. And she's one of I've been fortunate enough all a lot of the costume designers I've worked with. She was so incredibly hard working, Like I couldn't leave without her leaving. So I would just stay there and I would just keep doing paperwork and we'd be there for like fifteen hours and she'd be like, you need to go home. I was like, I can't leave until you leave, right. But we both loved what we did, and that was like one of the things that I miss so much that I don't, you know, get to do as much. But I love those fifteen hour days. I love those sixteen hours days. Crazy.
Speaker 2: Okay, So you've got Breaking Bad, You've got Vampire Diars, You've got show after show after show that are just the coolest things in the world.
Speaker 1: But I want to get into my world, the world of the nerd. So what is it like working on the Mandalorian? Please tell me Mandalorian stories.
Speaker 6: I worked with Shauna on Angel, okay, And she had also done Firefly, which was like.
Speaker 1: A great, phenomenal, great show.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and then I had just met her and so she brought me onto Angel. And when I left Angel to go do Niptag, and we kept in touch and everything. I helped her out here and there, and when she called me, I was like, are you sure, I don't. I'm not. I'm not. I think I was like one of the only person that hadn't seen Star Wars.
Speaker 1: What no, I have?
Speaker 6: I have I have, especially when.
Speaker 1: I when when you're offering a job on a Star Wars TV show, the Star Wars TV show, you had not seen a single Star Wars'.
Speaker 6: I know I had seen I think like Empire Strikes Back.
Speaker 1: It started with the second one, Oh my god, oh too.
Speaker 6: I just remembered, like I was, my cousin's are going to go watch it? And my other cousin and I were like, no, We're going to stay home and play all So they all went. And you know, I've seen it like bits and pieces on TV, and I never watched it from the beginning to end. And I think, like five years ago I did.
Speaker 1: Amazing, amazing.
Speaker 2: That's got to be a totally different type of costuming, right, I mean, it's it's so yeah. I mean there's appliances and there's helmets and guns, which has got to be a whole different thing. I mean, is that just a whole different world when you get into kind of the fantasy sci fi genre.
Speaker 6: Absolutely everything. I mean, I've been in situations where you know, everything's made in how you know, or everything's like sent out and they're all made, you know, clothing wise and everything. I've never been in a situation where we actually had our entire costume department, like with specialty people making armor, and you had the other special and then you had like you know, a specialized person who does all the aging and dying down to the tee, and you had your painters and just human people on set, just the rotating I think at one point it was I think just in that warehouse alone, we probably had about forty just people in there that I'm constantly just going Okay, what is going on? You know, and being thrown into that world where they had already done the first Mandalorian, they had you know, done Bubba fet they had, you know, so they were the crew was amazing, they and they were all nerves they have.
Speaker 1: And so you must get to the point because like I imagine, you know, when you're when you're working on something like you know, uh uh Ocean's eleven, you you're you're dealing with the real world, right, so you know, like what when you're culturally you're styling towards with something like like Mandalorian, you have to just get to a point where you know different like tribes that have been completely made up, and like do you have to just let do you study for that or do you just absorb it by by being around it? Like, oh, I know that people from this planet dressed like this, people from this is what it looks like. Yeah, exactly, Like you just figure that, like or is there like a is there a book a bible that you have to study? How does it works?
Speaker 6: It's actually I talked to a lot of the people who are working there more so than anything else, And like Alyssa, who was the A C. D. She is a wealth of note. Like everybody who work there excluding myself. We're huge, huge like Star Wars, like knew the whole trilogy, every everything. So when I stepped into Mandalorian, they basically shoot pieces of every episode all at the same time, okay, and because it kind of flashes back and forth and all this stuff. So by the time I came in to help with that, they had already done a lot of establishing things. So I was just kind of getting caught up, and but I was really there to help prep and to help start Ahsoka. So That's where my training really came in because of all the storm Troopers, and I mean I was like up watching the cartoons.
Speaker 2: Because Julie Julia their animated series cartoons.
Speaker 6: Sorry apologies, you're right. I had to stay and watch the animated series. And as I was breaking down the script things that I didn't understand, I would go back and and I would I would ask questions. So there's like this whole down to like where the Stormtroopers came from, the colors.
Speaker 7: The.
Speaker 1: Clones.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know, did you like, didn't you love the animated series though?
Speaker 1: Where the animated series is phenomenally good.
Speaker 6: And it helped explain so much because when you're just thrown in it, you're just like, uh what yeah, And also, like everybody knew all the verbiage was the one that I was having a really hard time figuring out. The the Lickys, the ones with the you know, the ears, and then all the different animations and how we were going to do it, and it was so overwhelming. I mean it got to the point where I was dreaming it and dreaming like what each clone from each error and how they evolved and the cold.
Speaker 1: Do you have a favorite? Do you have a favorite like style of Star Wars world, like Planet Tribe, person Team. I don't know what are the different things.
Speaker 6: No, they're all different races, and they each have beauty in them. I mean, like my favorite outfits in all honesty though, I love those red witches. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Cool, you know.
Speaker 6: And also it's just there's like this whole history behind like when you see one character, but there's like one little piece because it that he has on or that they'll have on that actually goes back to like yeah, I don't know a three other series history indep and and a lot of the fan base. I mean they're hardcore.
Speaker 1: That's the thing.
Speaker 2: If you mess up one night Sister or ven Trists or anybody, people are going to be like, well that's wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what are you thinking? What did you just do? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean that's but that's what I mean. You can really do this with anything. I mean, at the end of the day, that you could say the same thing for you know, Jane Austen, for the world of Jane Austin. It's like the language has its own kind of thing. The costumes is their own thing.
Speaker 1: The every mannerism, it's its own thing. It's a micro world, which is what Star Wars is.
Speaker 2: So it's the beauty is Now what do we have to do to get you to dress us like stormtroopers and put us in something?
Speaker 1: Do you do? You not throw them on top of his whole Star Wars stormtroops steal your cigarettes? What else?
Speaker 6: Crazy? Was? We actually had some of the Stormtroopers, the the from the original that were made in London, right, they were they were beautifully like they looked beautiful, but there were cracks and I'm sure back then they I mean to make it look amazing, they weren't.
Speaker 7: They weren't functionable, right, right, just like well I remember Carol telling me a story about how for Darth Vader, the suit is so clunky that they'd only shoot him from the knees up because there was a guy lying down on the ground holding one foot and another guy lying down on the ground holding the other foot, and they'd rock him into his position. Because because the costumes are so they weren't functional at all at the time.
Speaker 6: They are not functionable at all. So we had actually repurposed for the clones, right, We had repurposed, you know, some of them and the bits and pieces, and then we realized oh my gosh, you can't because there's so much action. So then you have the stunt guys and every time they got hit and goes. There were so many and even you know, like on Mandalorian, like all all their jet packs and their helmets to make it functioning, you know, they couldn't be made. There was one that was for on camera and then there's one for actual functioning. And I remember on Manda they had this one scene where they wanted, oh gosh, I forgot her name because everything is kind of a blur right now, but they wanted her to be able to throw her helmet, and they called me. My set people called me, and I was like, there is no way in hell but you throw that helmet. I have one picture and I have one that looks half that's for stunts, so they can do that. But she cannot take off this other one and just throw it because it will crack it.
Speaker 1: It's not Emily. It's not Emily Swallow from the Armor who played the Yeah.
Speaker 6: Got oh, I can't think of her name. I'm horrible. I'm still the same person. Nothing has changed. I'm horrible with names.
Speaker 1: Hopefully you quit smoking. Hopefully you quit smoking.
Speaker 6: I've been like, I know you guys by face and everything, but then I start blanking out. It's all menopause. I'd blame it on menopause.
Speaker 5: Oh man, Well, we've had so much fun talking to day. I'm sorry that Danielle had to bail, but you know, I guess my big question for you would be looking.
Speaker 2: Back on your amazing career, which is still going and you don't have to say us because we're on right now, what's the project that sticks out to you most as you're like that that right there is the one I want to be remembered for.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 6: I don't think there's any project that I would honestly say like I would like to be remembered for. For me, every project was special in its own way. But I would say it would be a tie between boy Mean's World and Niptock. I grew on in Boyman's World, I really did. I kind of came into just being more confident, but and just being okay because even during boy Mean's World it was a weird situation. I technically wasn't. I didn't have a costume design title. My title was supervisor, so I managed all the paperwork. But yet I dictated in terms of like shopping and deciding what you guys wore, you know, with Michael Jacobs and the rest of the writing crew, creativity wise, not so much. I mean, my hands were pretty tied on certain things, so for me it was more about paperwork. But you guys were like the first group that I really got to create a family with. Yeah, and I only have the best memories, especially the finale. Yeah we cry. I mean, there's like so many the bear, didn't we we had.
Speaker 2: This yeah, which Danielle did not remember, by the way, didn't remember the bear.
Speaker 1: Do remember that we had a bear on set.
Speaker 2: Covered in honey and running from a bear And she had no memory of it whatsoever.
Speaker 6: I remember it because I remember the guy telling all the women like, if you're on if it's that time of the month, you can't be on set, He'll come after you.
Speaker 1: Yikes.
Speaker 6: Yeah, don't you guys are I mean, I oh.
Speaker 1: Gosh, no. I mean all of our memories are of laughing on set. Literally all we think of, Like when I think about Boy Meets World, more than anything, I just think about us laughing together all the time, just all the time. It's so it's such a positive memory, and thank you so much for I mean just listening to hear how you stood up for Danielle and you know, like that is truly like that is an invaluable thing that you did. And I was it was necessary.
Speaker 6: Scared though, Yeah, at that point I was kind of like, Okay, fire me because you know. And and thank god for Karen too, because she was She was a big advocate also and was just like we are not doing this and and you guys just made it so much fun. I will have to say, like the things that you guys did. Yes, sometimes.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I'm so bummed you in North Carolina because I just we have to go to dinner, we have to last, we have to have like a long three hour meal and catch up. We're in North Carolina.
Speaker 6: I'm actually down in Carolina Beach, so it's down Wilmington.
Speaker 1: Okay, great, so much. It's so great to see you.
Speaker 6: It was really great seeing you guys too, And and I hope everything has been amazing for you guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you as well, And we're so so happy to see you and hopefully we get to see you in person and give you a big hug soon.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, you guys, take.
Speaker 1: Care you do by Julie Bye bye bye dude. A she looks the same, but b what a career? I know, no kidding insane. The second I saw her, it's just like all the memories come flooding back, and it's just like right, we like she was just.
Speaker 2: Part of our our group, like, and we used to go to I mean it would by the end, we weren't in our dressing rooms at all.
Speaker 1: We would go hang out. We got set, yeah, be at craft service. We'd be in Julie's room. Yeah, because once I got out of school, I was never anywhere but on set. Right, we were just always hanging out and just craft Service Julie's room.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We would just be roaming around, laughing, telling stories. I mean, just constantly making each other laugh. It's just the best. It was such a great and vironment much fun. Her laugh is the same. It brought me right back. All right, Well we don't have Danielle. Can we can you do the outro? What do we say?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: I have to do it because you have to do the merch call. Do you want to switch it up? Do you want me to be the outro and you do them merch call? Uh No, because I don't have any idea, So you gotta thank you all for joining us for this episode of pod Meats World. As usual, you can write to us somewhere pods World Show at gmail dot com, Todd Meats World Show, and as always we have merch. May the merch be with you there there, I had to go star wars uh Podmets World. That showed gmail dot com at podt you know what, find us social five hundred of these five We love you all. Pod dismissed. That was great. Pod Meets World is an iHeart podcast producer hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfredell and Ryder Strong executive producers Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tarasubasch, producer, Maddi Moore, engineer and boy Mets World Superman Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon. Follow us on Instagram at Podmeats World Show or email us at pod Meats World Show at gmail dot com