Speaker 1: I'm Tari's Mexi and you're listening to the seventy six Ers Insiders podcast.
Speaker 2: This podcast is part of the seventy six Ers podcast network, presented by Stern and Cohen Law.
Speaker 1: Search seventy six Ers Insiders wherever you get your podcasts. Suffering an injury at work can cause physical pain, but also great uncertainty about your rights. You need to retain a worker's compensation law firm that is a winner like our sixers, a firm that gets some of the best settlements, but is also willing to go toe to toe with the insurance company. No settling on the cheap. This is Philly. We have grit and fight in us. Call the workers Compensation Law firm of Stern and Cohen or visit their site Sterncohenlaw dot com. The consultation is free. Stern and Cohen are the official partners of the seventy six Ers. They'll go ring the insurance company's bell.
Speaker 3: You're still Philadelphia. Seventy six Ers postgame Show presented by Park's Casino Fact.
Speaker 2: Oh Baby to beat on the fact done. I guess we Binyoni Powers.
Speaker 3: Next slabs of the seventy six Ers postgame show right now on ninety seven five the Fanatic.
Speaker 1: Final score in New Orleans, the Pelicans won twelve the Sixers ninety nine. I'm Matt Murphy will be joined by Tom McGuinness and hope to hear from Sixers coach Nick Nurse after the loss here on the Parks Casino postgame show. The Sixers have fallen to twenty three and forty nine. The Pelicans the host tonight, their twentieth winn of the season overall twenty and fifty three. They win both games against the Sixers this season. The first one was back on January tenth in Philadelphia, but that did bring the Sixers six game road trip to an end. It is was a season long road trip because the one right after the Boston Christmas game was kind of broken up. The team came back from Boston and then did a five game trip. No Quinton Grimes tonight for Philadelphia and O.
Speaker 2: CJ.
Speaker 1: McCollum or Zion and others that are out for the season on both sides, but among the leading scorers from the both teams games yesterday. Grimes and McCollum both were resting tonight and it's a one twelve ninety nine win for the Pelicans. Let's connect now with Tom McGuinness as we await Nick Nurse and Tom with no Grimes and McCollum. I think there was a lot more balanced scoring, some guys with bigger scoring games than maybe they were used to or we're used to. But what led to the switch kind of flipping back New Orleans this way in the third just hot shooting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, because the Sixers had taken a load. I believe it was sixty seven.
Speaker 1: Sixty five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Willie Green takes his time out and they came right back, and I thought Reeves was really effective for them right in that period of the game, you know, And I think for the Sixers coaches making this way, Matt so Ill as he walks up.
Speaker 1: I've gotten good at this timing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, like Justin had a good start, but Grimes that there are times when Grimes to just go out and get a bucket, and that wasn't the case. The Sixers really didn't have that element in their offense. So again Nick Nurse is at the podium.
Speaker 1: Sixers were Tom six for twelve from three in the third in New Orleans was eight for eleven, so they made two more threes, even though the Sixers shot it a lot better in the third.
Speaker 2: Right, I think coach is going to begin speaking, and here is the Sixers head coach, you.
Speaker 4: Know, asked our guys to pull in more, protect the paint more, take our chances from three and then they go wait for eleven and the third and we got it to sixty nine to sixty eight lead. I think they made four in a row after that. So it was kind of unfortunate because the guys were actually doing what we were trying to do and they just they just made and made all those shots. But you're right, pretty pretty good, you know fight back. I think, you know, very very limited numbers on a back to back, and it was, you know, again it looked like it was it was hard work at times, but but they kept hanging in there, and you know, even the little push at the end twice I think kind of cut it back down and then they went back out and then cut it back down again, and they kept on playing. And that's that's, you know, so what we got to do. And I think there was some decent performances. Again, I thought Jared had a good good night. Give Shuma some credit again for playing very hard. He's really on the glass, and he has five offensive rebounds, but but went after about twenty of them. You know, he's really battling there and did a nice job. Good to see Bona back.
Speaker 2: I thought.
Speaker 4: I thought he had a good you know, twenty minute restriction on him. We got him nineteen and some change there, but good to see him. I think he was moving well. And then we'll just now see if you know, Bagley got a little bit of his feet. Played forty minutes last night and for the Blue Coats, and took a commercial flight here today and got eighteen minutes. I think, so see if we can get his feet under him a little bit. See what he looks like here coming up. Yeah, he's just been playing really hard and really well for them, kind of again a bigger wing player that that. He said, some really good rebounding nights. We need some help there. So I think it's good, really good to reward one of those guys for sure. Another yep, yep. Yeah, he played pretty good. Didn't didn't have much luck on the two pointers tonight. I thought he had a number of good shots that probably would have has been making almost all of those. But great, great, to continue to see him squeeze off nine threes and to make a high percentage make five out of nine. All of those are our rhythm. They're either rhythm and transition or rhythm of the offense. And shooting him like he means it and shooting a high percentage and and played well again. Yepkay, yepes glad it's over for sure, right, been gone a long time. I don't know, GI give the group some credit. I really, I really would. I think they played some really really great basketball, continuing to lose a body here or there, but just kind of continue to go out. I'm not saying they played great tonight, but there was some Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, there was some. There was some really good intense basketball being played and some great effort. But it'll be nice to get home for a while.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: Thanks about six Ers coach Nick Nurse the five of nine he was talking about Justin Edwards giving him credit for another nineteen point night here tonight it's the Sixes fall by thirteen one twelve ninety nine in the final as the Pelicans win the game.
Speaker 1: Murph, we had Sixers TV play by playboys. Kate Scott is the acting beat reporter in some of these games on the road trip. This is the Parks Casino postgame show Matt Murphy and Tom mcguinnis with you. After a one to twelve ninety nine loss for the Sixers to the Pelicans in New Orleans and Tom, this six game trip is over. They won the game in Dallas to start it, but that was all and now coming home to play Washington. Why is it that the first game back at home after a long trip can pose its challenges?
Speaker 2: Well, and I think some of it's fairly obvious, just that like tonight will be a really long night for the Sixers central time zone start. It's probably what going to be midnight or thereafter before they actually take off. And then I just think your patterns are disrupted a little bit, like I was joking about being able to add an hour when we do those station IDs constantly. So the whole trip, it's not like they've been out west. And don't get me wrong, you know they're they're flying the best of conditions in terms of how they travel, where they stay, all of those things. But you know, tired is tired, and you know, so tomorrow, no doubt a day off it's just difficult. I think, you know, like you know, to get bad. Everyone talks about jet lag, and that certainly is part of it. And I don't know that you know, you get to bed tonight at you know, no doubt, like three or four in a morning. Later to that, probably by the time you finally gets settled and get some rest, that throws you off, right. I mean, everyone talks about circadium rhythms and all that, and some of these guys are twenty two years old, twenty four whatever, in great shape, but still that that kind that's what I think it is a little bit. I mean, the NBA season just keeps, like Brett Brown used to say, drip, drip, drip, It just keeps coming at you. And I think that's part of it. Plus I'm sure there's a mental part of it as well, of maybe letting your guard down a little bit. So but again, like for some of these players, all that should be, you know, the fact that they're getting to play and they're getting meaningful minutes in an NBA game should be able to kind of give them enough of a motivational jolt to try to snap out it. But that's I think part of it, and it's it's accurate, you know, like somebody might say, oh, well, let's trust me. It's it's accurate. Let's see how somebody does when they show up to work the next day after coming back from you know, Madrid, Spain or something.
Speaker 1: And again Washington the next opponent. They lost to Toronto one twelve, one oh four. The Wizards are last in the East fifteen and fifty six, and it was a back to back situation that put Jared Butler into the sixer starting lineup, so they flip flopped the point guard. Both Butler and Jeff Dalton Junior had double figures today. But on the back to back it's like, oh, well, bring Marcus Bagley in for some fresh legs. But coach Nur said, he played forty minutes for the Blue Coats, yes in Maine, so just games being played all over G league, college pro and guys were on the back end of that.
Speaker 2: So now I got to think Badly was kind of fired up to make his NBA debut, and his coach says, a nice reward, right. You see that oftentimes with a player coming up from the G League entity into the into the NBA, and in this case, the coach at the Sixers and you know, good for him. But I'm sure, as coach said, you know, let's see what he can do. And that means he's going to get an opportunity in the next couple of games, for sure, and that's got to be really exciting because that's that's under the dream come true status.
Speaker 1: Right, And he got his first basket. We'll hear that in the highlights on a floater in the second quarter. Another shout out to Blue Coats head coach Mike Longobardi and his staff and the GM in Delaware, jami Or Nelson doing a great job as always. But Tom safe travels. Seven of the sixers last ten games are back at home, thank you.
Speaker 2: Seven of the last ten. Yep, all right, well that sounds good. I think you said seven of the six I'm like seven of the last seven.
Speaker 1: Six seven of the Sixers last ten games. Right, we'll right back at.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know the road games. It's Washington, Miami, and New York City. Baby, all right, We're talk to you later.
Speaker 1: Thank you, all right, Tom, thanks as always. The final score in New Orleans one twelve ninety nine, the Sixers fall to the Pelicans. They only have one more game against a team from the Western Conference, like tonight in the Pelicans. It'll be the Minnesota Timberwolves on April fifth. So the six game road trip is in the books. But they only got the first in Dallas and then that Houston game went to overtime. That was a back to back which started it. Tonight was their fourteenth of fifteen back to backs on the season. The other one will be this weekend at home against Miami and Toronto. That's about the league average for back to backs, and it's their fifth. It will be their fifth of the month of March, second month in the season that they've had five back to backs. And I was saying yesterday that a lot of that has to do with the Emirates NBA Cup, that many of them, in this case a third of them are happening towards the very end of the season. So again, it was one twelve ninety nine Pelicans. The leading scorers in the game all had nineteen points, justin Edwards Jared Butler. On the sixers side, six players or five players were in double figures, including Dallons twelve off the bench, KK with twelve as a starter, Yabusele with twelve for the Sixers as well. The other nineteen point scorer was Carlo Matkevich off the Pelicans bench, tying an NBA career high. It's his first NBA season, He's been in the G League. He was playing overseas after the draft a few years back, and Makevich tied that career high with nineteen. We will break everything down further, select a stat of the game, go through the box score, hear the audio highlights, take a look around the NBA as well, because it was another eight game night, so we'll check on how this game and others affected the standings. But before we hear Tom's calls on the highlight plays, we'll hit a break. It's the Parks Casino postgame Show. The seventy six Ers ending a six game road trip over the last ten days tonight in New Orleans. They'll be home on Wednesday to take on the Washington Wizards. This is the Park's Casino postgame Show. I'm Matt Murphy. We're about to go through the game from start to finish, with our stat of the game later and the team shooting totals. But here's how it sounded, as called by Tom McGuinness. The Sixers and the Pelicans in New Orleans. Sixers without Quentin Grimes, who was out for rest after the Pelicans ruled out CJ. McCollum for rest earlier in the day, and ten players again on the Sixers side, plus Alex Reese inactive on it a two way. A. Dem Bona returned to the lineup, though, and came off the bench the Pelicans, along with McCollum, among others note Zion Williamson, Trey Murphy, the third, de Jonte Murray, Herb Jones, those last three out for the season. First quarter, it was a twelve six start for the Pelicans against the forty eighth different Sixers starting lineup of the twenty twenty four to twenty five season that featured Jared Butler, Justin Edwards, Ricky Council the fourth, Chumo kkn Kershawan Yabusele, and after that start for the Pelicans and a time out by the Sixers, Edwards hit his second three right after, and he added a third one soon after.
Speaker 2: Sixers ball eighteen to eleven eight to shoot Edwards shooting from the corners. Jeremiah Robinson Earl has comed to the game and Edwards puts it in so the Sixers cut it to.
Speaker 1: Four eighteen fourteen. Edwards had eleven points in the first quarter, finished the game with nineteen points and the Sixers trailed after one twenty nine twenty three. They shot just thirty percent. Pelicans were forty three percent despite going one for eleven from three. They wore navy blue with gold at home, Sixers in white uniforms on the road. Marcus Bagley came on late first quarter for the Sixers. The younger Bagley. It was his NBA debut, signed a ten day contract hours before the game with the Sixers after almost two full seasons now in the G League with the Sixers affiliate the Delaware Blue Coats, and Bagley would make an impact in the second quarter by getting on the stat sheet. Before that, though, the Pelicans had an eight to zero run early in the second for a twelve point lead.
Speaker 2: Pelicans bole nine oh nine to go in the opening quarter. Hells with a LA play, there's another layup by Reeves. Well done.
Speaker 1: Reeves for New Orleans off the bench. Antonio Reeves with seventeen points, a rare his only field goal from inside the arc, six for ten overall, five for seven from three and a thirty nine to twenty seven Pelicans lead. But here's Bagley with the floaterkis Lelane hut Chiappino. He dropped it, but it's picked up.
Speaker 2: Marches. Bagley's got his first NBA basket. That's good.
Speaker 1: Bagley averaging eleven and eight with the Blue Coats, and he'll remember that one. He's wearing number thirty five in the NBA, just like his older brother, Marvin Bagley the Third, who's now with the Memphis Grizzlies. His only basket in eighteen minutes during his NBA debut. It was forty one thirty forty one to thirty one New Orleans at the time, and they took a fifty eight forty nine lead into the halftime locker room, shooting fifty percent to the Sixers thirty six percent in the first half. The Sixers, though, came all the way back in the third quarter and point guard starting point guard tonight Jared Butler, a Louisiana native, helped the cause nine and a half to.
Speaker 2: Go Sixers in valve, they're down sixty three fifty two. He's got a valid claim, make it. Here's Jared Butler for three good. So he's had a nice game. Butler now his fifth field goal is third three. He's got thirteen points.
Speaker 1: Ended with nineteen in thirty three minutes on eight of sixteen shooting. Also tied for a game high with three steals. Butler a native of Reserve, Louisiana. As we touched on throughout the night, he was a former high school quarterback and wide receiver at Riverside Academy in Reserve. It was sixty three fifty five Pelicans still but after that a couple of yaboo threes. Ricky Council the fourth had a three to get within one and force a Willie Green time out, and then after that, Justin Edwards would hit his career high fifth three pointer of the game to put the Sixers up sixty seven sixty five, But the Pelicans ended up still leading the game after three ninety seven seventy five. Jordan Hawkins on their side left the game with a left ankle injury. X rays were negative, but think about that. So was sixty seven to sixty five, and then the Sixers come out of the third trailing ninety seventy five. It was thirty two to twenty six New Orleans in the third, even with a fifteen to two sixers run in those first five minutes. As we heard the Butler play and Carlo Matkovich just like Reeves among Pelicans reserves. Tonight, this will be our last highlight play with a fun fact included after it.
Speaker 2: Mattkovich for three, the big Man strikes from afar.
Speaker 3: It's in.
Speaker 2: Carlo Matkovich out of Bosnia has been really impressive. He's a rookie. He's made six field goals two butch are threes, and he now has sixteen points ninety three seventy five.
Speaker 1: And he went on to match his NBA career high, which is nineteen. He was the fifty fifty second pick by New Orleans back in twenty twenty two, but it is his first NBA season. And here's the fun fact. Matkovich has mostly been playing with the Pelicans G League team. They're called the Birmingham Squadron because a group of Pelicans is called a squadron. Matkovich and the Pelicans went from leading ninety three seventy five and to winning the game one twelve ninety nine. New Orleans is twenty and fifty three. Philadelphia is twenty three and forty nine. Matkovich did that in twenty three minutes. He shot seven for eleven from the field, three for four from three, two for two at the line, eight rebounds with his nineteen points off the bench, three players tied at nineteen, Carlo Matkovich, Justin Edwards, and Jared Butler Matkovich for New Orleans. Edwards and Butler sixers starters tonight. The leading rebounder was Kelly Olinnick, who was part of the Brandon Ingram trade which happened at the deadline with Toronto. Ingram has yet to play with the Raptors and for New Orleans tonight, Olenic had eleven rebounds with fourteen points, seven assists, and three steals in thirty minutes. Elfred Peyton, off the New Orleans bench, led all players in assists. He had fourteen assists in twenty five minutes along with six points and six rebounds. Not a season high in assists for Peyton because in November for the Pelicans it's his second stint with them of the season now. Elfred Payton had a fourteen point twenty one assist game in November for these Repelicans, staut of the game, rebounding and then because of that points in the paint Pelicans fifty one rebound Sixers thirty seven, New Orleans fifty six points in the paint Philadelphia thirty four. Team shooting totals, New Orleans was forty nine percent from the field, forty three percent from three, and eleven of thirteen at the line. Of those fifteen made threes, they made eight of them in the third quarter. So last segment I was talking about how the Sixers started the third quarter on a fifteen to two run but still got outscored in it by six and trailed by fifteen heading to the fourth. Ninety seventy five. The Sixers made six threes in the third. The Pelicans went eight for eleven from three to the Sixers six for twelve from three in that third quarter. The Sixers shot thirty nine percent from the field in the game, thirty three from deep, fourteen of forty two, and seventeen for nineteen from the line, So they too missed two free throws, only too free throws. Standings wise, Toronto and Washington played tonight, so that result and then the standings, Toronto is ahead of the Sixers in the standings. Washington is their next opponent and it was a one twelve, one to oh four win for the Raptors in DC. The Wizards will come to Philly on Wednesday. The Raptors are twenty five and forty seven. Brooklyn liked the Sixers now with a loss of their own Tonight one twenty one oh one to Dallas in New York has a twenty three and forty nine record. The Wizards fell to fifteen and fifty six, Charlotte is eighteen and fifty three in the East, and then the Sixers and Nets at twenty three and forty nine. But that'll be it for this version of the seventy six Ers postgame show presented by Parks Casino. Again the final score the New Orleans Pelicans won twelve the Philadelphia seventy six Ers ninety nine. Thanks to our producers Matt Menaik, Mike Morano, and Sean Rodman, and of course Tom McGinnis on the call. The next Sixers game Wednesday at home, finally a seven pm Eastern home start against the Wizards. Our coverage here on the Sixers Radio Network, presented by Jackpott City Casino, will begin at six point fifty Eastern with Sixers and sixty before that on ninety seven to five The Fanatic. Until then, I'm Matt Murphy saying thanks so much for listening, have a great, continued, hopefully start to your week, and take care