Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Kristin Davis, and I want to know are you a Charlotte? Ah? Hello, everybody, welcome back to Are You a Charlotte? We are here with part two with Simon Curtis. We are breaking down Just Say Yes, which was directed by David Frankel, written by Cindy Schueback, and Simon knows everything. You guys, Let's talk about Carrie. Oh yes, wow, wow, this whole episode. Let me just tell you this memory that I have, and I had forgotten that it was this episode. This is the episode where Carrie finds an engagement ring in Aiden's jim bag in her apartment. Now, a lot of other things happened to but the thing that I remember about this is that Gwyneth Paltrow did a magazine, either Vogue or Harper's Bazaar, and she in her interview talks about how she really related to Carrie in this episode with the ring being wrong. Wow, and we were like, oh my god, Gwyneth Paltrow, We were so excited and that she understood that she related and understood what that would be like, like you're with the wrong person and they've picked out the wrong ring for you. They don't get you. You know, it was really interesting. I forgot that this was this episode. And not only that, but we begin the episode with this whole thing where her building is going, co Op. I had forgotten all of these details, and so she walks in and she's all shocked, and then she says to Aiden, like, you know what am I going to do? I'm going to have to move and he's like why, you know, why can't we buy it? He's so offhanded, And I love how they staged that whole scene because it's not they're not even like looking at each other and that.
Speaker 2: So that's in terms of the big sex and the city conversations. The Aiden conversation is one that I'm also very passionate about because I've been in Aiden as a villain camp since I was a kid. Even that first moment she walks in, you can hear panic in her voice. My building is going, co Op, did you get the tomatoes? Doesn't even acknowledge what she says. That's a good point, and it's just like, and it's yet another instance of everything about Carrie is trivial. Everything is just this thing that he needs to steer and control because even his response is well I'll buy it. I'll tear down the wall and then you can live with me, like and then like.
Speaker 1: There's some joke about rent, like what would be the rent? And he leans over to kiss her.
Speaker 2: And her face there's all these and like and God bless him for that performance. But there's just these this subtle breadcumb crumb trail the entire series, even leading into in the second movie. He's the one who who moves first. He's the one that has her kiss him in the second It happens in the second movie, like every time Aidan pops up, he's always a villain. And I was so glad. I was pissed for much of him, just like that. I was like, we are not retconning this. I cannot have the entire world being like, oh Aiden, yes, finally when we got his last episode, I was like, yes, there he is there. Just like that, when he was like get off of me, I was like, there, we got you.
Speaker 1: I interest in it, but I was like.
Speaker 2: Oh, there you are there. And that scene, I feel like, is such a microcosm of that. She walks in with a sort of devastating life changing news for herself and his responses did you get the tomatoes.
Speaker 1: That's true. That is true. It's interesting, It's very interesting. I think the thing that's interesting also when I'm watching, I mean I'm rewatching, and obviously I have a lot of feelings about Big as well, right, yeah, But I think the thing that really, the thing when Corbett is on screen that I mostly think about is how incredible their chemistry is, and also how I would hate to say that character is him, because I don't think it is. I think he's pretty different than Aiden, but I also feel like he really takes what's on the page and twists it in a really interesting way. Oh yeah, you know, And I think that that he's just so good at playing Aiden, but in general, he's just a really good actor. But like their chemistry kind of would carry anything really yeah. Right, But then separately, he has so much going on in his head at all times, as does she, So like watching the two of them is super fascinating, and there are times I feel that way about Chris and her also, But then in this particular episode, I did not feel that, which we'll get to.
Speaker 2: And I think that incredible chemistry is what disguises the general population from actually acknowledging how villainous. I think the character is with Carries.
Speaker 1: I do think that that's true. And I think that there's a charm that he brings. Yeah, that also confuses the picture. But isn't that how relationships are too?
Speaker 2: Right? Absolutely, that als why the show is so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, definitely, definitely definitely. And I do also feel like sometimes I watch it and I'm like, oh, I just want to take care of Carrie. Yeah, you know, she's just got all these feelings. But she's also like, I'm independent, I'm fine, I'm gonna move. I hate to move, but I'm gonna move. I just want to help her and take care of her, and she doesn't really let anyone. It's interesting. It's interesting. Yeah, I have a lot of different thoughts and feelings when I watch it. So anyway, she walks in, she says this, he's got a whole plan in about two seconds, that he's gonna buy the apartment next door, charge her some kind of questionable rent, and knock the wall down, and then he leaves. And but then she she has a voice over saying that apparently he's doing his plan because he's got clothes just covering the whole apartment. So she's trying to put his clothes back into the bag, which is when she finds the jewelry box. She opens it, she sees this really sad looking gold engagement ring with a pear shaped diamond, and then she throws up, which I also completely forgot about.
Speaker 2: Yes, wow, one of her two physical reactions to marrying him.
Speaker 1: I know this is definitely and that.
Speaker 2: He rejected him the entire time. Yeah, ives in the joke wedding dress and vomit at the ring.
Speaker 1: My god, I mean, And also like, it's so interesting that we don't just say, well, Samantha does.
Speaker 2: And that's that's why I love Samantha, because she was right at the table full of girls who are trying to be supportive. She's the one that's like, no, yeah, and.
Speaker 1: I totally understand why Charlotte wouldn't be doing that. But I also felt like, come on, she threw up, for God's sake. It's a lot. It's a lot, you know what I mean? Yeah, but I did really like Samantha's point of view to wait. So then so then this is where it gets a little bit weird. So she goes she goes to the coffee shop. We discussed it all. She finds out that Miranda actually he had a part. She's a hideous ring.
Speaker 2: There's there's a moment. There's a moment. So a first off, your makeup in this entire season, it's unbody ever looked on camera ever.
Speaker 1: It's they Nicky Liederman. Yeah, at this point in time, I was telling a makeup artist about this a couple of weeks ago on a job. I believe this is when who made this. Someone made this product called magic and there's this like this is that's funny. It could have been like smash Box or somebody, and it was this jar of stuff and it was kind of iridescent, and they said like we made this like how they make car paint, and we thought that was great.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: They were like this is using technology, using car painting. We're like whoa. And we would take it our young selves and we would just mirroor it all over our whole faces. It was like a primer, but they didn't call it that. And then you put your makeup over it. And at this point I think I'm wearing like like Laura Mercedy tinted moisturizer because it's as anything, right, But I had that magic all over underneath. Oh my god, I think it worked, but I don't think they make it anymore.
Speaker 2: You look like a porcelain doll in this entire season, and that particular scene is one of the scenes where it's just you sit down and Charlotte looks so like this beautiful doll like this, like it's hot, in the blue polo dress with a slick back and listen.
Speaker 1: I never I didn't appreciate it of the time, I really didn't. I always good enough.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I know it's sad.
Speaker 1: It's really sad.
Speaker 2: An entire episode they have Charlotte looking like a goddess.
Speaker 1: You I know, I don't know how I'm so together. I mean, it's pretty good. I liked my hair in the in the Scottish scene. It's really good.
Speaker 2: So it's perfect, really good, like Audrey Hepburn like it's stunning.
Speaker 1: It's really good. I know, it's really good. We were we were doing great at the time. We were really we were. We were functioning well, which is funny since I'm like vague on my memory of it all, you know what I mean, And I was just probably trying to get some sleep, you know. Anyway, let's go back, thank you, You're very sweet.
Speaker 2: The whole reason that I even interrupted that is because there's this tiny, tiny moment where Miranda says I picked the ring. They cut back to you for a millisecond and you're laughing, and I wanted to ask if that was a break or if that was sure.
Speaker 1: It was real. I'm pretty sure it was real.
Speaker 2: So good, pretty sure it was real.
Speaker 1: Because Cynthia is super funny, you know, and it is funny too, because like we would crack up a fair amount at the coffee shop scenes. But also there was a lot of pressure about the coffee shop scenes because you know, it's so kind of precise and everyone has to be like just on their queue and you can't mess a word up or anything. We would be there so many hours, right, and Michael would always be like, you know, you have to and their props have to be so on. Everything has to be so on. But I do think, excuse me, when they would we would. I could tell by this point in time that they've figured out good ways, Like we used to just be like straight on like films, straight right, and now we're doing the angles, like the cut across. So and that's one of the reason we'd be there so long. Is that you have to have reactions to each person, so to each angle, you know what I mean. But that did look like a break.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that did look like oh but no, but it felt it felt so real. Which also and also this moment where Charlotte is just laughing at the coffee table, that was rare.
Speaker 1: It's rare, but really good, really good. And I think Frankel's really Frankel directed Product Devil Worst Product one and two. Yeah, he's a good director. And I think he also really knew us, you know, so like there's that that you can see in a good way. Yeah, And I'm saying like we seem very kind of settled and comfortable, which I liked. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I like that a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, back to Carry, So Carrie Carry goes with us. She finds out that Miranda has something to do with it, but Miranda doesn't know what he's going to ask, and so now she's all like, what am I going to say? What am I going to say? And then she goes and this is a little strange to me. She takes Aiden out to her. She was a very pretty dress, and she says, I'm gonna I'm gonna accept his proposal to move in, because does she somehow think that then he won't propose? What is she doing?
Speaker 2: She even says I'll cut him off at the past. Got it, and it's she is. I don't I don't know what Carrie or Sarah Jessica's signs are. But Carrie always feels like such a sagittarius to me, and or a libra like one of those two. And it's but that is such, that is such sagittarius behavior, like yes, like it's being like, well let me, I'll do this, you can't do that, or you do that, and got to work Sir.
Speaker 1: Jica's in aries, but as is Cynthia.
Speaker 2: Wow, they're strong, but they love powerful.
Speaker 1: Thank god. It works out, thank god, thank god. But sometimes I'm like, oh Lord and man, I just got to get behind one of them and go up the mountains whatever mouthin they want to climb. I'm just trying to keep up.
Speaker 2: That's beautiful, I know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, here we are back to carry Carrie carry It's hard to stay on task, but we're going to do it because it's a weird scene. It's a weird scene. So Carrie's out there trying to hel a cab in a super fantastic color block dress.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: Also the episode before when she's writing she's eating a rocket pop which is that color palette?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, you're fighting.
Speaker 2: I know, it's so weird you even notice that. That's incredible it's the exact same, yes color palette of the pop seic.
Speaker 1: You know what, I want to get your opinion on. Sarah Jessica was on this week I Guess in the World and she I had this crazy outfit jogging her memory takes visuals. I've now started printing out pictures from when she comes on to show her to see if she'll remember things based on the outfit, which she does. And she said, just out of the blue that from this crazy outfit where she's got the purple tights pulled up over her shorts, do you remember this and the purple Victoria's secret bra Huh? She said, if she were to be collecting three outfits that would be quintessentially Carrie and show who Carrie was as a character, that would be one of the outfits, the purple type with the toes showing in the outfits.
Speaker 2: I understand me too.
Speaker 1: It's cool, but I wonder what the other outfits would be. And now I'm just dying to ask her.
Speaker 2: Oh, I feel like one of one of mine that I would put in was when she goes to dinner with Big and he's dating the movie star and he's like, she's a movie star.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yes, it was the same episode when we talked to her about it and we showed it to her, and she did not say that one. So she did love that one. Yeah, she'd love that one. And that skirt came from Century twenty one that I got Molly to talk about, which was great Westwood, but it ended up at Century twenty one, which is insane but okay. But then I had asked her, would it also be the white dress at the Columbus Fountain when she and ate and break up? She said no, because that's not quintessentially carry that's kind of like put on Carrie, like I'm going to try to be looking a certain way for him.
Speaker 2: What about when Carrie leaves justin Thureau when he's the premature ejaculator and she leaves it after breaking up with his mother and she sees the girls and knocks with the aviator a.
Speaker 1: Good one, but I don't think that that. I don't think she would pick that one because it's not kooky enough. I mean, would I pick it as one of my all time favorites, definitely, But I don't think it would be quintessentially Carrie because it isn't creative enough. That's what I'm getting from what she was saying. But I'm going to get to the bottom of this. I'm going to get her back on the podcast just to ask her this question.
Speaker 2: Yes, because also with the Aviators, women weren't wearing the Creators.
Speaker 1: That's so true.
Speaker 2: You know, she was giving body and hair, but also the choice. With the Aviators, she was rocking George Michael Rayband Aviators and that was not no, that's true.
Speaker 1: That was a Sarah Jessica thing exactly. She wore that. She wore those big time all all the time. Anyway, let's go back to the plot. So she's out there trying to get a cab in this fantastic dress and who should pull over because they're in midtown but mister Big and they have this wacky scene in the cab where he's trying to ask her about aid and she has a little secret smile and he says, what's that smile? And she's like nothing, and he's like what and she says, you don't really want me to tell you. He says, you said do and so she says something to the effect of he's going to ask her to marry him, and he's like, how do you know? And she's like, I just know. She doesn't tell him how she actually knows, which I think is interesting. And then he goes, well, it's not going to work out, and she's like why not and he goes cause you're not the marry and he smiles like that's a compliment or whatever. It's weird, and then she she's like, what do you mean, I mean, what did you think about that?
Speaker 2: I well, first, I love that she's wearing it almost looks like a Judith Lieber, like I do that huge thing, but it's a big apple. And then big pulls up in his town car. But there's there's just an energy with that that I love that. It's really cute, and I you know, I mean that's just you know, they're just the two ever circling planets orbiting each other, and I think that's at that point. I feel it's always felt to me like big in that moment, as having the realization of like you can't slip away, like you're you're you're, you're not supposed to You're not supposed to move on, like we're going to be doing this forever.
Speaker 1: I do think he thinks that, But I didn't like that that he thinks that.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I mean that he's still He's still in his slime ball era, right, But that's like it's you know.
Speaker 1: He is, right, Yeah, I thought so too. I was like, he looks like he was up all night drinking like you probably was smoking his cigars and whatnot. I was like, who wants.
Speaker 2: That's he's you know, I always take that character and that's why I love them together inevitably because his arc, even though we don't experience it, we only experience it through the lens of Carrie. We still get the arc from the series beginning to end and how much he as a person cracks open and changes everything because of Carrie being in his life.
Speaker 1: That's a good point.
Speaker 2: And how Carrie is from the jump this enigma to him, and where I feel like he and Aiden differ is that Carrie is also an enigma to Aiden. But he wants, he wants to like break her and control, whereas Big, it just seems like he is afraid of the feeling that this enigma evokes in him. And it's because that feeling is love, and it's something that is that's anathema to him. And so I, even though he is this slime ball, having experienced his arc so many times, I have so much love for it, just because I know where it leads him, and I know it is eventually he has to crack open his heart and it happens.
Speaker 1: That's a good point. That's a really good point. I'm gonna go with that. I'm going to stick with that because that's a good point because since I have been rewatching, I've been you know, like ew, you know, like fair amount.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: In a way that surprised me because I was always pro Big, Charlotte was pro Big. So I didn't think harder about it than that. And I also think, as I've said before, dear listeners, apologize from me. Apologies.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: I do think in the nineties we were all just so used to that type of man, you know, the really elusive you know, shut down, Yeah, where you're always having to try, try, try, I didn't think twice about it. At the time, I thought, yeah, of course she wants to be with him. I didn't think about it. Now I look back, I'm like, oh.
Speaker 2: I also think in that moment, he's really I think they're both trying so hard to pretend like they're friends. Like they are. These pals definitely can jab each other and like make quips about each other's life. And so I also think there's an element of him in that scene where he's he's trying to be sarcastic and play around like, oh, this is you know, you're not the marrying kind. Like it's like a sly dig with his buddy, but Carrie's not your buddy, like it's it's so I think that's also an element of like he's playing games with himself, trying to like make himself believe that this is his pal and not the love of his life.
Speaker 1: Right right. It's interesting. It's very interesting. I mean, I guess it's good that they it's interesting to see the progression, you know, over time of their characters. Definitely, Yeah, And also like when they went out to dinner in the country episode, when she goes back and goes out to dinner with them and he talks about the actress. You're just like, what is happening? Yeah, it's weird, but it do feel like it, Yes, I do feel like it is like when you're trying to be friends with an ex and you are literally sitting there like why am I doing this?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Like, well what am I doing?
Speaker 2: And with them that there's this energy vortex. It just keeps pulling them back together. And you know, I feel like so much of his acting out, especially by the time we get to season four, it's just because he's every time he's with her, he doesn't It's it's he's getting more and more scared of this mysterious emotion that she elicits from him, which is love interesting. Okay, I don't want to feel that he doesn't want to know what that is.
Speaker 1: Go on this. We're going to go on this. Okay, wait, then we get Okay. So at this point, I'm feeling kind of frustrated because I'm like with Aiden and definitely with Big right, which is kind of sad and not how I felt at the time that we were ranking the show, when I just thought they were both great. So then so then she goes she goes, she she, she, We're back with Carrie and they're out in a beautiful summer night. I love these scenes when we're filming in the no way. I did read something that supposedly they're in the they're in. Yeah, I think that the note that we have Hannah, I don't think that that. I'm just going to ignore this one. I'm going to fully ignore it. Sorry, it was a trivia thing. I'm going to ignore it. But to get in my mind for a second, it looks like the village. To me, it looks like Perry Street, which is what it should be, right, because that's where Carrie's apartment is. I'm not supposed to say that, I don't think, but who cares whatever.
Speaker 2: Everyone knows, yeah, like tourists.
Speaker 1: And that's why I'm not supposed to say because the people that people don't like it.
Speaker 2: But whatever, get over it. You bought the sexon that, you bought Carrie's house, deal with that glove eggies time.
Speaker 1: Really I think that's the situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, you know what, what a gift in your life that you get to live in a national monument. I don't know. I would be making people's cookies and.
Speaker 1: That would be sweet. That would be sweet unless they did so. And I think at one point maybe it was for sale, but now I don't know what happened with it. But anyway, it is there.
Speaker 2: It's there.
Speaker 1: Everyone knows where it is. It's Perry Street. And to me, that shot when they're they're going to take Pete for a walk, and it's so beautiful and the trees are lit so.
Speaker 4: Beautifully, it's gorgeous, so gorgeous, and so I mean, I know that they say that we kind of made New York City like into a fantasy, but also I feel like that's how it is.
Speaker 1: And like a spring summer night, it's like, ooh, magical.
Speaker 2: It looked like do settling. Like it wasn't the summer. It wasn't hot and steamy, but there was this.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I think it is hot and steamy.
Speaker 2: Oh they well, they made a good job of not didn't look.
Speaker 1: Like she's wearing those tiny shorts. Yes, yeah, yeah, I think it's hot. I think it's hot. I think this the summer of two thousand and one. Yeah, the summer of two thousand and one. It wasn't like one hundred and five hot, but it was glorious hot like hot and bright colors and fantastic and you know, like still summer and all.
Speaker 2: I can see this beautiful humidity in the air with the lights and it doesn't look like it doesn't look like thog, It like real steam in the air and it's so pretty. It is really love that of them walking.
Speaker 1: Down so gorgeous, and Aiden is very good in this scene. He pretends that he's trying to get a poop bag for the.
Speaker 2: Dog, which is exactly how Carrie Bradshaw wants to be proposed to, with a fake out dog poop bag.
Speaker 1: It was pretty good though, because she's really expecting it now. And do you remember when they go to the dinner where she's like, I say yes to moving in and then she says I have to go to the bathroom and they cut to him and he looks sideways. You can just tell he's like, what is she doing? Like I think he's got it all figured out? Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: This?
Speaker 2: Which is another reason which is another part of him controlling her. He tricks her. Instead of giving her a real proposal that Carrie would actually love, he does the poop bag trick, which, along with the ring that is not the proposal for Carrie.
Speaker 1: That's wrong.
Speaker 2: Proposal wrong guy.
Speaker 1: No, you're right, You're right, because he's like he's doing the like if it were me. Yeah, and I was walking my dog and someone proposed to me. Not that I really care about this in life, I don't, but like that would be the time or the place, you know what I mean, walking my dog in the summer night. Yeah, yeah, but not Carrie.
Speaker 2: Not carry sweatshorts.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: It's so cute, is so good.
Speaker 1: It's so cute. But anyway, he gets down, he surprises her and of course, thank god is the good ring. Thank God in heaven. And then we find out later that's Samantha had something to do with that, which I did not remember this either.
Speaker 2: You didn't remember that.
Speaker 5: Oh gosh, oh I love that scene that's at the end of it, Like, oh my gosh, it's her delivery and that's so so so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really good. It's really good. So and then it's a beautiful ring, which I also didn't remember. And this is the ring that she's now going to wear around the necklace, correct, which is so crazy. I mean, like it's all very interesting, very interesting. I do feel like we need some some input from the writers on how I forgot to ask Michael about the ring around the neck. Yeah, we got to find out how that came about.
Speaker 2: Because she's allergic to him. She's allergic to a life with him. I mean, she vomited, she breaks out in a rash. She can't put the ring on her finger, like she's allergic to it, because puts it on when she gets it though, I can't wear the ship and it's because her subconscious nose the whole time.
Speaker 1: Do you think you're right? Yeah? I do. You think you're right?
Speaker 2: And that's what makes it so satisfying to watch her come to terms with.
Speaker 1: That definitely, most definitely.
Speaker 2: And face that definitely.
Speaker 1: And I don't really remember at the time. Did people feel in the world like she shouldn't be with him?
Speaker 2: People know, everybody was pro aid and everybody. Yeah, And I think that also fed the narrative of you know, people have this. You know, certain people who I don't align with and don't like them, will always fight have these opinions about Carrie. Yeah, and you know, like these people who call Carrie a narcissist or all of these things, which I think is just such bullshit because to me, Carrie Bradshaw is she's an artist. She is deeply courageous in her capacity for love and her willingness to search for love and to be loved. Yeah, And I to me, she's always just such a beacon of that, Like she's just she's living very honestly. She's she's really really trying in an earnest way to find happiness, find love. And I've just always found her to be very courageous.
Speaker 1: I think you're right.
Speaker 2: And also with this aident scenario and even with Big when she had the affair, you know, I would never villainize her because she's just trying to follow her heart and to figure out her her heart and what her soul needs and wants.
Speaker 1: I agree, I agree. I do think though, back to how we were talking earlier about the show kind of you know, changing things and shaking things up or whatever, it wasn't really done that your your heroine, your your lead is gonna cheat, you know, like blatantly. You know what I mean. It's true and it kind of a I don't want to say, unapologetic way, because she is apologetic. Obviously she's tortured about it, but also she does it right like we weren't afraid to do that stuff. And I think that that's part of what you're saying is that Carrie Cary was very honest about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, which is amazing, Which is such a testament to the show because even now, when we try to have female characters that are depicted in an honest way, the internet will come for the actor's next. Meanwhile, we have Walter White selling meth and killing people for eight seasons of television, and he is might as well be Jesus Christ himself, like Saint Candles, true, true, and well, Carrie Bradshaw is just trying to figure her life out and there are people who call for her head and it's like, you know what, this woman's just trying to figure it out, and she's just writing and loving and doing it with such like fierce earnesty and honest.
Speaker 1: I agree, really, no, I agree. I agree. She is very she's very much pursuing like her own version of the truth, you know, and that's what she writes about. That's what she's doing. It's what we talk about, you know, all of us all the time. I agree with you. Let's talk about Miranda because we've got this very interesting development with the baby where she decides to finally tell Steve at the like hot Dogs Stand or whatever, what is it?
Speaker 4: Is?
Speaker 1: It?
Speaker 2: It's ice crazy. I'm sorry, that's what That's such there so there are when you go back and watch the series, there are so many subtle moments that are so funny they make me belly laugh. First of which is Charlotte and I'm dating a man with the funkiest tasting spunk, and you just get up and walk out and there's not an acknowledgement, there's nothing that's just personal gone. I laugh until I cry at just the physical comedy of that. It's so funny, and this is one of them. Carrie's voice is Meanwhile, Miranda is looking for the perfect moment immediate cut Steve, I'm pregnant. It's just so dead parent. It's funny, so fucking funny.
Speaker 1: It's funny. It's funny. It's true, the cutting, the editing, you know, and the delivery and the writing. It's all very funny. And I agree, very funny, and I didn't remember it. This is the like where I'm just watching everything for the first time. You know, it's really funny, just a genius. I also I couldn't really remember how I can't still really I'm not I don't have clarity almost going to have with Steve and Miranda. I know where they get to, but I don't know how they get there, don't know how they get there.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting.
Speaker 2: This is this is such a fascinating experience for me also because I mean, I listened to the podcast, so I know, you know, I've heard you talk, you know, at length about your experience with it and how this podcast is an exploration back into something that you haven't touched in so long because it was such a significant portion of your life. Yeah. And then someone like me I from pre pubescence was watching this and then immediately rewatching and rewatching, and me and my best friend in Oklahoma, Mandy Like, she got like the Swayed the Pink Swayed DVD sid book for herself when she was going to owe you her first year. So we just would devour the DVDs over and over again.
Speaker 1: Did you have the one where Michael Patrick did the voice over of it?
Speaker 2: It was the full series collection with the Pink Sway And I don't I don't know if we ever watched the special features together I think.
Speaker 1: You would have to go to the special features in there. He had when the show was ending, he had gone in and recorded like thoughts or whatever. I don't know that I've ever heard it, but occasionally someone will like write to me and say like, oh, Michael Patrick said blah blah blah blah blah blah. And it was kind of the early version of podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, DVD feature attes right. And so for me, like I've seen I've literally seen all these episodes like sixty eight times to amazing here that that's such a fascinating I know it is interesting.
Speaker 1: It's interesting for me too, because like, first of all, there's my memory. Then there's my memory of the show, like my memory of shooting the show them my memory of the show. And then sometimes my memory of the show doesn't actually match the show, you know, Like I was telling you, like we were to take all these scenes with Charlotte, I would have spread them out. I don't know what season I would have put them in, but I had no idea. They were like bam, bam, bam. It's a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that was one of the things that I was talking about that I in my dream for the next iteration of seeing these characters. I just missed the I want the jam packed, I want the I want that. It's each episode is such a little mini roller coaster and it takes you on that, and so this episode is such an encapsulation of that.
Speaker 1: It's true, It's true. The only sad thing about Charlotte's roller coaster of this episode is it doesn't come up. It just ends really down. And I don't know what happens next.
Speaker 2: Do you really not know? I mean, oh my god.
Speaker 1: I can try to think of some things that I could guess. I think there's that scene where we're going to break up but he comes back for the town of Country shoot or whatever it is.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's this, Okay, I don't know. I don't know, but that is that is coming right that the next because the next episode is long Pink, It's delicious, And that's the that's Samantha's where she's talking about Richard when Samantha find Richard. We quote that all the time.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, long.
Speaker 2: It's oh, that's like one of the iconic lies, Richard with the perfect dick. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But then by the end, too much information.
Speaker 2: But then by the end that's when they have that beautiful needle drop that carries the entire end of the episode with the Shade song by your Side, and it's and then that's oh God. In the next episode is with Your Rogain and your speed Stick when they move in together, when Carrie and Aiden he's moved in and he choose one of from Manolo Blannocks.
Speaker 1: Don't have a single memory all this stuff.
Speaker 2: And she's like, you're ship, my ship, and like they yeah, oh it's such a good Oh, it's it's jam packed. Wow. But Charlotte's is what was her?
Speaker 1: I have no idea.
Speaker 2: It's right after Oh, it's the cardboard Baby. It's the cardboard baby. Don't you bring up in here. You are the man who got me a cardboard baby.
Speaker 1: It's really bad. Did you hear Trey when he came on, Sorry, Kyle, it's really sad. Kyle came on those twice, right, No, just once, and he was like, yeah, I wasn't sure. I wasn't sure how I felt about the Cardboard Baby, and I was like, yeah, they they just you're just trying things, Kyle. Sorry, Trey doesn't know. Obviously, I can't separate them.
Speaker 2: No, clearly, Oh, that's so cute.
Speaker 1: It's really sad. It's so sad. Yeah, it is really funny too when like, on the one hand, I feel like I have really good separation and everything, but then when you actually try to have a conversation about it all comes out. Yeah, it's all tangled up.
Speaker 2: Wow, you know what I mean. That's beautiful though, that those experiences are.
Speaker 1: Like that for sure. For sure. I mean you know, because you you know you you're trying to do the work on a deep level, right, so I guess you are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's the end of this episode with Charlotte. The conversation after the Scottish Fling is it's I mean, even rewatching it this morning to come here and talk about it with you, just watching both of you as actors. You're so in it. And you know when you get to watch eight actors do a ping pong match, that is just like it lights you up to watch that scene is astonishing. You're so so genuinely in it. And when he's selling Charlotte, he says, I just want to be for a while, and Charlotte has this look and says, you don't even want to try. I know, set And it's but it's too It's like League of Legends actors.
Speaker 1: Just Oh, I'm so glad because I think for me, what's hard about it is number one because at that point in life, I hadn't had a ton of experience someff that I have now necessarily, but I don't know. And I also feel like I couldn't go deep every single scene, right, And also these things are happening, so she's processing, right, But like because Kyle and I are not connected at that point, right, we're not because when we were connected, it was so fun to watch, you know what I'm saying, And now we're really not, Like you could tell he's the character is shut down, right, not the actor. But it's sad for me to watch it. I just feel sad. I feel sad and like disappointed, which I guess is how Charlotte feels. So I can't guess. What I'm saying is I can't completely separate myself and watch objectively. I still feel the feelings.
Speaker 2: Of which is a testament to the quality of the performance, the fact that it has this psychic resonance with you decades later.
Speaker 1: But don't you think that's just being an actor too?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean, that's being a really good actor. That's being that's being that's that's being a top tier.
Speaker 1: That's so nice, that's so nice. But yeah, I just felt really it was like I was so sad. I don't know, and I just feel like disappointed, Like I'm like, I don't know if I did that. I don't know if it's good enough. With all Charlotte type thoughts, you know what I'm saying. It's sad. Though it's sad to watch, it's.
Speaker 2: Hard to watch.
Speaker 1: It's definitely she taking wants it so much.
Speaker 2: It took that for her to get to Harry so totally.
Speaker 1: And Miranda weird Miranda, and then and then and then we didn't even mention Samantha with Richard. Where's my Samantha page? Because Samantha's with Richard and they're on the plane, which I don't remember this at all, Right, is this? Yes?
Speaker 2: So Samantha her her first uh plot point in the episode is she has the meeting with Richard and oh that's funny seven minutes late, and well, it took me fifteen minutes to get through your labyrinth of the lobby.
Speaker 1: Right, and so he's such an ick.
Speaker 2: Oh he's disgusting in this My God, what's wrong with you? Women? Troubles? Like it's he's so bad.
Speaker 1: It's so like like you would never do that now, like if you did, that would be a total villain.
Speaker 2: Immediate villain, Yeah, immediate, it would be somehow that was that was like, I so kind of want to fuck him on his plane though.
Speaker 1: It's so funny, but also the way that he plays it, he does give it a like he plays against the shouting a bit, like he's doing the thing that's in the script, but he also got and then he very quickly like he's yelling at her because he's unhappy about this other hotel getting attention or something in the paper. And then she tells she's He's like, so, what are you going to do about it? And she's like, well I already did this and this and this, and he's like, oh, okay.
Speaker 2: Exactly because she is she's good at what she does, and that's that's nice. Exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 2: It's I know, it's such a good moment of like having this sort of like swinging dick competition and Samantha's not going to like step down, which is really interesting.
Speaker 1: And I hadn't remembered that about their relationship at all. I just remember that he was supposed to be some big deal or whatever, like.
Speaker 2: Like a hotel magnet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like Schnobble or whatever. I don't know who are those ones Ea Schaeffer, you know what I mean, the totally yeah. Anyway, it's interesting. And then they're on the plane. I know, I'm just.
Speaker 2: Like wow, I love it.
Speaker 4: Wow wow.
Speaker 1: And then and then Richard agrees that he likes sleeping around and whisking girls away on it. Oh that's how they end up on the plane. That was also interesting because he's like, I mean, I guess it's like she's tried to have her relationship with Maria, which obviously didn't go that well because Maria wanted to talk a lot and Maria I know, And now she's like, well, I'm going to be with someone like me. Yeah, right, because part of the way he gets on the plane, he's like, yeah, I like to whisk girls off.
Speaker 2: And then she says that's what I'm saying, Like this they are both like monogamy, and I know that's what she loves.
Speaker 1: I know, which is interesting because right because at a certain point aren't they going to be monogamous.
Speaker 2: By the end of the next episode with the needle drop. It's the next episode. The episode opens with her talking long pink, It's delicious, and then it ends with them in the pool at dawn on the roof. Yes song comes in and it's just like.
Speaker 1: Got it okay, now it's now it's no, it's making sense, making sense. This is interesting, Okay. I mean the Richard storyline like pretty much not much memory. I remember the visual of the I think I went to that apartment because I think we had to read through there because we would have to do our read throughs at lunch, you know, because we had no time or whatever, and we would try to be at Silver Cup where we were filming our studio, because that the writers had a floor there. Yeah, and so we would go up there for lunch. But if we didn't, if we couldn't time it correctly for the next read through, because the writers need to hear the read through before they can do their adjustments and whatnot, then we would have to be on location for the read through. And I think we were there because I remember standing on that roof and it was really gorgeous.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's amazing.
Speaker 1: Downtown. It was pretty impressive.
Speaker 2: When you get to that scene and I'm curious to hear.
Speaker 1: Okay, now it makes you feel because I'm excited.
Speaker 2: It's so beautiful and it's it's the first time in the series we get one of those songs coming in at the end, which is so cool.
Speaker 1: I wonder why we changed our you know, thoughts on the music or whatever.
Speaker 2: Why we it was beautiful though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it worked.
Speaker 2: Oh oh god, it works so Like Michelle brand if I just breathe at the end of the Trapeze episode, that one is perfect, like we done. No, no, it's coming.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, I love that. I don't remember that. That one's so I mean every time on the West Side Highway, I'm like, there it is, yep, so great. Oh my god, Yes, we really do change it up. You know what I think it was. It was that we could finally afford it.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, there has to be a budget, yeah, because those were big songs.
Speaker 1: Definitely, definitely, And before that I think it was all original.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I love the original music.
Speaker 1: You do.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's good. I think at some point there was a CD which I thought was odd.
Speaker 2: No, it's iconic music, and it's so just that. The jazz running through this New York City show a heaven so true.
Speaker 1: Wait did we do enough of Miranda? Probably not.
Speaker 2: Oh Steve shows back up with the hand Me Down ring. Oh my god, that are you Steve? I know, I don't want to marry you either, especially.
Speaker 1: Not right now. He goes, he's so great. And also like, I mean, it's just so funny and crazy, and like, who thought of that? You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: It's so good.
Speaker 1: It's really funny and good and so counter to the I think they thought, like, well, if we're going to have this beautiful proposal on the street in the night, right, we have to counterpoint to that, you know, So they're the counterpoint. But later they're not going to be Yeah yeah, but that takes a while, right, Yeah. Yeah, it's super interesting. I don't know how. I don't know, Like I said, I don't know how we get from this point to where they're going.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's so good, it's oh my god, it's it's that. That's when I'm That's what I'm saying. They're the most beautiful character arcs ever.
Speaker 1: I mean, they really worked hard at it and The funny thing is that in my mind I had not really been clear on how completely different the idea of each episode was in the beginning versus now, right, Like, I knew in my mind that at a certain point we really doubled down on the long term story arc, right, And that's what I love as a viewer, That's what I want to watch, right, And the fact that it wasn't in a soapy way. You know that we're having their relationship stories, but they're not soapy, right, So we're keeping the comedic element, but we're also kind of going to a drama element and mixing it up. I love that so much as a viewer.
Speaker 2: And that's what's also so satisfying is because you still get the element of sitcom. You're still seeing each of these four women deal with a certain iteration of something in their own lens, in their own lane and their own capacity, from their own perspective, and it's always still maintaining.
Speaker 1: That right right, right. I mean, I wouldn't describe it as sitcom, but I know what.
Speaker 3: You're saying, that element, you know what I mean, eving the connected kind of the idea of the show that we're turning over one theme with each character.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, I wouldn't say sitcom because sitcom really means situational comedy, which used to be like the one set like the friend's coffee shop set, right when that meant for cameras and an audience, right, So we were never that. We were single camera and kind of like a little movie, even though we weren't, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And again that's why Sex and City changed everything, because you didn't really even know what to call it at the time, and didn't know what to call it really because it was comedy and it was right, but it also evolved into this beautiful drama that just has now spanned decades and so it's it's it's Shakespearean as it is comedic. I love it.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean Shakespeare has both, right, Yeah, it's good, It's so good.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Seven, I have one pressing question for you.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, I have I have put a lot of work okay preparing this. I had to discuss it with my boyfriend too length, because oh, he's a turbos stand like he listens to the podcast the second that.
Speaker 1: It drops so sweet.
Speaker 2: But he was like, he was like, you can't because I had like a zodiac answer with the rising moon and sun, and he was like, you can't say that. Chris like christ and likes it the most if you just pick one and stick with it. And I was like, I was like, okay, so horrible.
Speaker 1: You can do whatever you want.
Speaker 2: You can do whatever. I liked. I liked that challenge and his feedback I agreed with, ok.
Speaker 1: I still want you to ask a question, Simon, are you a Charlotte?
Speaker 2: I am a Samanthamantha first, and let me tell you tell me having watched the show six trillion times there, I mean, obviously, there's so much more to the show than sex. There's so much more to Samantha than sex, and there's so much and hearing hearing my partner say this to me, I was like, at first I was taken aback, and then it was like oh And the more we talked it out, the more I was like, Holy, you're right. There's a fierceness to Samantha's loyalty. Like there's a scene it's in season one, the Connecticut baby Shower. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, she stole my baby. Man, you bitch. Let's go into like like that's that's how I operate. Also, she is always it's not that she is always driven by a need to express her opinion. She's driven by this expectation that her opinion is valid, as is everybody else around her. And it's confusing to her. Why would you not share your opinion? Why are you not sharing your thoughts? And that's that also is like that's so me, Like that's like having to put my foot in my mouth at times, or just speaking a little too bluntly, like I would be the person at the coffee table to be like wrong ring, wrong man, but like to just say it, and there's and how else to describe it, Like it just an aversion to rules for the sake of rules. Samantha is ferociously existing on her own terms, definitely, and like refuses to abide by the status quo for the sake of the status quo. She will make decisions form her life, even even the tidbits that we get about her life. She has come from nothing and nowhere and has built something just because she believed that she could. Definitely, and the part of me too that has in past because my first answer when I was talking about this with my boyfriend was Charlotte and he was like, no, you're a Samantha. And my first thing that I cling to with my Charlotte answer is the eternal optimist. You know. You know, I'm a cancer survivor. I had leukemia as a child wild and I was always just my sense of optimism is what allowed me to survive. I just had this belief in knowing that I was going to live and go on and do all of these things. And it's that's something that's always been a part of me with with Charlotte, and in having this conversation, I realized that that's something about Samantha as well. Yes, Samantha, there's you know, there's a line in season six where you know, Carrie is debating if she can be with the Russian because he already has a kid and he's had of a sectomy, and Samantha is the one who tells her, you know, well, what else is on the table? And that's a pretty fabulous life too. Like she also in a different sense, is she's always looking at from a positive perspective or how can what's to build positively here? What's the positive past forward or positive path forward? And it's so it's it's interesting, there is this sense of optimism, and I just aligned. I align with that.
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 1: Now, just out of curiosity. If you were going to answer it with an astrology type of an answer, what were you going to say?
Speaker 2: So my answer for that, and I love yours, so you want to know that answer my I was going to say that my son's sign is a Charlotte, my rising is a Carrie and a Samantha Moon cool.
Speaker 1: So your interior would be Samantha.
Speaker 2: I like that emotional, like the the you know, sense of emotion that's really good through the.
Speaker 1: No Miranda, No Miranda, No, no Miranda, She's.
Speaker 2: Just not in my chart.
Speaker 1: I guess it's no. You don't seem right.
Speaker 2: I love Miranda, she doesn't love She's just not in my I love it. That's not my girl's birth chart.
Speaker 1: Love it, love it. Well, this is what I want to say. You are such a joy, but also such an encyclopedia of knowledge about our show. Oh my God, can quote lines from all the seasons, every episode, whenever appropriate. It's incredible.
Speaker 2: Well, it's just it's it's so hard to accurately convey to you how much part of my life it's been. It's just it doesn't even make sense and even thinking about it, like I it's it's every day when I if I, if I'm leaving the house, Sex and the City is what my dogs watch. Like it's that's what like turning on noise for the dogs while they leave. It's just you know, like they watch Sex and the City. And so when I get and inevitably, like I finish out the episode playing, I'll come home, you know, from whatever it is that I've been doing, and I watch the next episode. And that's in addition to my you know, constant series rewatches, and you know, you go through so many years of that and all of a sudden it's like, well, I was watching it on repeat as a child. I was watching it on repeat in high school, Like this was my comfort when I moved by myself out into the world, like from Oklahoma to LA Like that was like that was my comfort, my sense of home, my sense of you know, inspiration to go do and be something.
Speaker 1: Right and interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, It's just always been the touch point, the comfort, like a sense of warmth and safety with these characters.
Speaker 1: I do feel I was telling Sarah Jessica when she was on I do feel more like I of course experienced you know, the filming of it, right, Yeah, so they are my friends, and I do feel this like intense connection and it was hard to be objective about how the fans perceived it. But rewatching and then kind of experiencing it anew when I'm away from it, like I went traveling a bit. I didn't didn't film the podcast. Yeah, so didn't watch it for a couple of weeks back turned it back on. You do feel a warmth, like you feel like a physical thing when you're watching it.
Speaker 2: It's a cashmere blanket kind of amazing. It is. It's so comforting.
Speaker 1: I feel like I've gotten a little insight into what it's like to just be a fan in a way that I'm very thankful for. It's really really fascinating.
Speaker 2: It's deeply magical that you guys mad magic, yeahk you, And it's so lucky and it's changed the world. I mean, you can invite me on it all you want, but it is true. I'm telling you. It's it's it's the show that changed everything. It's the show that changed everything.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Simon Curtis, thank you so much. Excellent, excellent.
Speaker 2: Guess it's been the honor, privilege, and pleasure of my life.
Speaker 1: You're just a joy in every way. Thank you, so so smart and thoughtful and so many insights. Thank you, and all of my listeners who are hardcore fans are going to appreciate that M.