Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is the Players Lounge, broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts, Barry Church, Hecma Harrison, and Newie Scrugs.
Speaker 2: Play rounds. Here. We are rolling with you.
Speaker 3: Here at the headquarters of the Dallas Cowboys at Prisco, Texas.
Speaker 4: All right, s WBC Podcast Center.
Speaker 2: You know the crew.
Speaker 3: Heckma Harrison's in the house, Barry Church is here, I am Newie Scrugs.
Speaker 4: We've got cuts, We've got Ceedee Lamb. We can get Dalvid Cook potentially.
Speaker 3: Now there's a whole lot to get to here, Smorgas board.
Speaker 2: That's the word of things. Man to loatch.
Speaker 3: The boys are now back home here to finish off training camp. We now know that there's no more preseason game. The play play is done. We're now getting ready for the real thing. Let's start with number radio him back.
Speaker 2: He gives you super bag.
Speaker 4: This show called this numerous.
Speaker 3: Times, especially if you look at the last We said the deal will get done.
Speaker 2: Weeks ago, and it did. And I think you know one of our arguments was thirty five was the number. We started looking at Justin Jefferson's contract and started saying to look, you try and fit the deal somewhere in between that. There's so many people that have come out and argue that, look, man, this could have been done a long time ago, why did they drag their feet? They ended up getting the deal that was probably I think there's no way to argue with that, especially when you start doing the play of comparisons. We argued the point on Justin Jefferson versus CD Lamb. But I think once you saw the numbers in black and white, it made sense. It made sense from an organizational standpoint. I don't think they overreached in the deal. And now you got Ceedee Lamb underneath this roof with two weeks before you see live ammunition out there. So look, I think the deal, obviously it was an exact science. There's a lot to be argued about, not only the way that it was handled for CD on other superstars that you have emerging. But glad to see it finally got done. Yeah, I'm with you on that one. I'm glad to see that it got done.
Speaker 5: And like Luis said, we you know, we've called this out weeks ago that it was going to get done because.
Speaker 2: Cede Lamb, in my opinion, he is your passing attack.
Speaker 5: You know, everybody else eats off of what he's able to do out there, creating one on ones for everybody else. So at the end of the day, we understood that the Cowboys had got to get this done, and they ended up getting it done with two weeks of spare, which to me is a good sign because you know, what you worry about with CD is not the connection with him and dak Out on the football field, because you know, you know, they've been together for years now. The only thing that would worry you would be that soft tissue stuff because I don't care how many you know, drills you do, working out all that good stuff. You think you're in great shape. You know, football shape is different. You only get to that type of shape by playing the actual game. Guys pulling on you, grabbing on you while you're running around, tackling, getting up all that good stuff. So with two weeks to spare, he'll be able to get plenty of practicing. He's a young man, so I wouldn't have to worry too much about those soft tissue issues. Because he has two weeks to go. But that was my only concern going into this. They got it done, which you know, thank goodness they did, so now we can start this thing with Dak and number one option.
Speaker 3: All right, Church, because that was my next question to you as a former player, what is that concern level when when guys come in here because a soft tissue injury and bam, you're really you know, you're weeks behind.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, that's we talking ham strings, you know, stuff like that quad, stuff that can pull when you don't have that, you know, every single day in training CAB and that's what you know, guys hate the ground of training CAB and I'm with you on that, but that's where your body gets accustomed to guys pulling on you, dragging on you, because you can't, you know, simulate that going out into the field doing you know, drills and all that other so you just can't do it. You know, guys are pulling all different types of angles and your body has to get used to those adjustments. And thankfully he's in the building now with two weeks, so hopefully he can get that work from the scout team.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna take everything that he says as Gospel. When it comes down to preparing for an NFL season, you know, I've heard it being argued several different ways, right, but four years and this is just going into his fifth year in the NFL. I think it all comes down to how you prepare for the season and out. And I haven't never asked you this question, but how long did it take you to prepare to get ready for a season? And I think he's probably to that point with the good money that he spends on trainers, nutritionus and everything else that he can prepare. Now. Obviously nothing simulates live football like live football. I don't know if he has twenty other friends to go out and do exactly what you were just talking about. But at the same time, I think for Ceedee Lamb, he's just he's protecting yourself, and for the organization, they're protecting their self because the last thing you would have wanted is for him to be injured in training camp or something like that. Obviously, the investment, you gotta protect the bread and so you know, he got it done at the right time. And I think for everybody that's making those arguments against him in the organization in the time that it took. I think that if Ceedee Lamb signs this deal a year early, he is pissed when he sees what Justin Jefferson got. I mean, in the negotiation deal, you have to deal with who's being currently paid and whose future to get paid. And he was right there in that ballparking. Just based off of the numbers that he put up last year. You're like, look, this is one A, one B, but not by a long shot.
Speaker 3: Heck, I'm going to push back and just simply say this deal should have been done last year. Really should have been the first off, you know you want to play, okay, if we know we want the player to get to me. I look back at Tank Lawrence and Dak Prescott as two opportunities where the Cowboys missed the boat where they could have got in at good deals, good for the player, good for you, and they missed it. And then when they finally paid them, the player had the hammer and they used it right here. Ceedee Lamb was not going to play. He knew he had the leverage. He sat out. I mean, he's the only winner here from the stand. Boy, dude, go train ket.
Speaker 2: And you got a hundred plus meal mister Bingo, I'll guarantee.
Speaker 3: And when I sit down here upstairs, it's thirty eight million dollars coming to me. This this should have been done a while back, and back when you saw the Eagles sign there, guys, go ahead and get it done too with Dak Prescott. Once you saw Jalen Hurts get paid and you saw Lamar jess Miss sign them, you already know where it's going. So I don't understand the mentality of why they have waited to do these deals because at the.
Speaker 2: End of the day, they keep paying out more and more money.
Speaker 3: So when I so, when do you not jump in here and say, okay, look this is it needs to get done, I would say, and you tell me if you how you feel it.
Speaker 2: The numbers felt where we kind of thought they would be. And here's what I say to that is last year, I think the market was set completely different. And I'm guessing here A. J. Brown may have had the market somewhere at around the thirty two to thirty one mark. I'm and Ross Saint Brown comes in and his and this is within the season, yeah, within the season or before the season where it raises a thirty three thirty you know, within that number if he had signed and to say, you know, thirty one million dollars. Man new way. Let's just hypothetically, you're you're my representation, and I'm sitting in my locker and I see an ESPN notification that says Justin Jefferson just got thirty five million dollars. I am going to text you you are fired because I would have wanted it. I would have wanted because of where I set the market at. Look, you have the example right now with Trent Williams. Trent Williams has a has a contract that has the most money in it, but yet he's not getting the paid He's third highest paid left tackle at the point that he signed his deal, it was record setting, highest paid salary ever. But he's saying, but he's saying, look, I've outplayed the market. Ceedee Lamb would have been in the same place. You would have been right back here with him unless Justin Jefferson had done his deal first, and he was that close to Justin Jefferson as well.
Speaker 4: I think this is a game.
Speaker 3: And Barry, you speak this as a player, you know when you sign somebody's going to jump you, right. This is the name of the game. So somebody's gonna jump you, but but I've got my security. Here's my bag. I'm good with.
Speaker 2: It for percentages left, but if it was percentages less.
Speaker 3: And let me fishing point here. So you know that people are gonna jump you, and one of two things happen. Either you get a new like Dak Dak Prescott signs for forty and then here comes Kyler Murray forty six. So either you know, supposedly to be a good player, I'm going to be able to get a new deal coming up, or you do the old Zach Martin.
Speaker 4: I don't like what's going.
Speaker 2: On exactly exactly exactly, you know, we need you Patrick mahone the math math right, the math.
Speaker 3: Math in a while back right right, And so CD Lamb, in my opinion, is gonna he's that kind of player like Zach Martin hold off player and New York takes well, okay, like the Chiefs realized, yeah, we kind of got overload bit so we go.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So so if you're that kind of player and you see something that passes, you're okay. I mean, if you're Dak Prescott, all right, Kyler got forty six. Here's Trevor Lawrence in fifty five. I'm feeling good and that's where I took the cowboys. Like, you know what, when Trevor Lawrence got to fifty five, you should have ran in the dak his six.
Speaker 4: Yeah, finished this thing. The price of the brick keeps going.
Speaker 2: Up every time, and for the good.
Speaker 3: Players, you're going to still be able to come back withhold your services and get what you want. Jamar Chase now is looking at all this and unfortunately Chase with the wrong.
Speaker 2: It's the wrong dude with.
Speaker 3: But I think in this case with Jerry Jones, we know the history he's.
Speaker 4: At this point in time.
Speaker 3: As far as the offensive weapon, it is, hands down, Ceedee lamb is the best offensive weapon they had.
Speaker 2: He was hitting pad.
Speaker 5: You got to I mean, he had to make this thing happen. Who because who you're gonna rely on with. We've talked about this for weeks as well. Coach toll Bird for there you can't do he.
Speaker 3: Lose the guy that camp, Chris Pan who is the the three name guys.
Speaker 2: Billy Johnson.
Speaker 6: Yeah, a day.
Speaker 2: Like this is what the.
Speaker 3: Organization to get you. I've learned they're trying to foolish look out here. He's a deep threat, right, you know we're gonna dive up to play for the media.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah yeah, And.
Speaker 3: Then he got the dudes who ain't got nothing else to report, the bright dame like him, Billy Billy has been shotting like, oh my gosh, we could happen next Robinson Billy time, like they're gonna put some pressure into man.
Speaker 4: And then that where at on.
Speaker 2: The street has to be a financial advice here we appreciated provided some excitement, some electricity. That's what it was because you saw them on socials and Billy Johnson of the deep right, Philly, don't lose my number again? Get strange Today's Billy, you know what I mean? Yeah, I'm seeing that.
Speaker 3: Look at these les reports on Okay, okay, you know last year.
Speaker 2: I'm telling man, Jerry got me for the last time last ye.
Speaker 3: Not off off the darcotic, I'm off that you're not paying these people think I'm not worried about.
Speaker 4: Od's getting paid.
Speaker 3: So good for CD had a nice vacation, that's the off the record questions.
Speaker 4: So what did you do with all that time? How was it.
Speaker 2: Running on the beach, Jake Chilling? I hope he went chilling, Please said, don't have been chilling seeking doing the work.
Speaker 5: But you know you're not stressed going to meet absolutely from you know, seven to ten at night.
Speaker 2: You're getting your work in andything you really now that was I think I always said. Now I'm in agreement with you on that. But I definitely think the deal was gonna get done, and it had to be done out of necessity, just based off of the numbers. But the other thing that is confusing about it getting done is, you know, these are two positions that rely on each other, quarterback and wide receiver. So you don't pay your quarter your wide receiver without paying said quarterback.
Speaker 3: Trying to make sense out of something we've been saying.
Speaker 6: Just.
Speaker 2: Putting that out there. I mean, these things go together, is you know, peanut butter jelly. You gotta have one and the other.
Speaker 4: It's like all in and we ain't seen all in.
Speaker 2: So just gotta happen, Just gotta happen. I'm like, don't lose my number as starts really as n crazy like this, I don't know.
Speaker 7: Me.
Speaker 2: I did do this organization.
Speaker 3: They got it all out there and Mike ha been dyed in the place.
Speaker 4: May you Billy look good talking about man, Billy, don't lose my number.
Speaker 2: And then they lost this. Hey thanks Billy, just smer job. They gonna cout this, Chris b gonna you know the first thing they're gonna ask you. I need I need that iPad. I need I need that I pad. That'd be the worst to come get it. You need that iPad. But coach wants to see you. But just lead the iPad right that bed see too many go out like that. You make the practice fly. You want to talk about David Cooking somebody like that? You know, man, I was on the Dalvin Cook train man and Dalvin. Dalvin didn't make it here, ended up going to Baltimore for for their little brief playoff.
Speaker 3: So so now and I hate these things on Twitter.
Speaker 4: I saw him.
Speaker 2: Working out how to work out, how to work outside, to work out. There's anybody go baby.
Speaker 3: These thirst videos like the tray Land's thirst videos. We saw throwing against air.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, it's trade.
Speaker 3: She's like people stop for everybody today was look at Dalvin threw a mesh and ball hitting praying the calls stopped.
Speaker 2: He still got the juice. That's what they say, right, he still got it.
Speaker 3: So so Dalvin Cook, does it move the needle for you?
Speaker 2: How do you feel? What you think when you saw it hit?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 2: I think it's a worthy conversation to be had. But you're gonna have to have way more than just Dalvin Cook coming here. You're gonna have to have it. It's a conversation to be had. I mean, if you go to calm in the streets to find a running back, you're gonna have to do more than just just Dalvin. I just don't I don't understand this. I don't what is the infatuation with and no disrest? Because these guys were great.
Speaker 5: In their prime, but you know we're relying on these aging veterans.
Speaker 2: Is what is dalvining? You're ten as a runner back? Maybe nine?
Speaker 5: I mean once the last time Delvin was was that guy in the backfield. I mean, he's very similar in my opinion, to what you got in Zeke already. So you know, why would you already get would you double down on another back that does similar things that Zeke does, running between the tackles, three yards in a cloud of doust.
Speaker 2: He's great towards the goal line, But you already have that there.
Speaker 5: If you want to go get a back why don't you get a little change of direction, you know, a little lightning to the thunder, somebody that can receive out of the backfield as well. I you know, I just don't understand this infatuation with these aging veterans bringing them on to the.
Speaker 3: Squad once again, with the people who check out the players. Lange, we sat around and talked about this with the running back room. Come come cut time, you know, start looking at some veterans here. To me, this says what we've been talking about. You're not sure about this room. Yeah, well you can tell me Malik Day I like Malik Davis, Oh, you like him so much?
Speaker 2: And call down and cook ch It's Freeme, all of them cats. Make sure you're sure. And I don't blame them. I don't blame them for doing that, especially when you go into last season. Although you went twelve and five, Pollard only had one one game where he rushed for one hundred yards. Okay, So I think if you had any more to that running back room after that one hundred yard game, I think you'd feel better going into the playoffs. Or if that one hundred yard game came in the playoffs, maybe it would have helped you. They're looking for more, and again I don't blame them knowing that behind Ezekiel Ellen another aging running back, you have Duce Vaughan and company. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I just it's just it's smelling like it's going to be a you know, Dak forty five passes game type, That's what.
Speaker 2: It's smelling like to meet.
Speaker 3: Well, let me put it this way, Okay, giving your choice right now, Malik Davis, Royce Freeman, Dalvin Cook, you're picking one.
Speaker 2: Where do you go? Malik Davis has more juice? I believe Malik Davis.
Speaker 4: So you're saying that the fact that they're flying him.
Speaker 2: In says that they got a thing with Malik Davis, not your guy. That's what the question or Royce is not.
Speaker 4: I mean you know.
Speaker 3: So so that to me, it was kind of with what what they what they say, and what they the actions are right now.
Speaker 2: Completely there's something.
Speaker 4: There's something going on that they're bringing that they're saying, let's bring this guy in.
Speaker 2: Now. They can bring in Dalvin Cook and not sign him. They could do that.
Speaker 3: I mean, they brought in Carl Lawson and they didn't sign him, and they signed him and they send him going with Billy on the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they they did, they did, And I thought.
Speaker 3: He was going, you know, a good rotational piece.
Speaker 2: No, you know exactly what, Carl. That's is exactly why you just made that argument. And it all started from the workout video and I think we all figured it out. It's like, come on, man, come on, man, is that if there's anything that we understand that the the the injury to Sam Williams. Man, it's got you in a mode where you have to figure out what you have kneeling has showing you promise. But at the same time, you couldn't go into the season gambling with an aging veteran. Okay, that's the same question that you have about the three technique that you Phillips that you just bought off. You want to know, Look, how much does this guy having the tank, how much Joseph, how much can they help you? What kind of rotation can you get going with these guys?
Speaker 3: So so let me also throw this out here, and this is this is another kind of he's a veteran, so if he's on, if he's on the roster, they wanted to guarantee absolutely, so maybe hey, hey, just sitting the cut for a minute, just just chill so we can do the game by game kind of thing with you. So I'll be interested to see where they go. But you know that's one thing right now. A lot of teams like before I paid his bet money, Hey man, I'm put you on the street, and he already didn't have a bunch of folks was running after. It wasn't like he put a bunch of stuff on tape that made you say, hey, we let him go.
Speaker 4: He's gonna get snatched up all that.
Speaker 2: But let me ask you this, and this may be a tease for the break. You know, how much does the run bland getting hurt actually impact some of the guys that stay on this roster.
Speaker 4: That's you know what. Let's take a break and come back with it.
Speaker 2: You're getting on, I said, I'm gonna get hold on, hold on.
Speaker 4: That's how.
Speaker 2: That's how my whole mind. I see you out here, I see Billy Johnson. I'm with you, Dob.
Speaker 3: The Emmy Show is tonight, Yes, Sir Maharrison, that's the very Church players, lads, brought to you by Aristocrat Gaming right here on Dallas.
Speaker 4: Cowboys dot com radio.
Speaker 1: Are you the twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Fan of the Year. The Dallas Cowboy and Captain Morgan are celebrating extraordinary, inspiring and original fans. Nominate yourself or the biggest Cowboys fan you know for a chance to be named a twenty twenty four Fan of the Year and win prizes including a trip to Super Bowl fifty nine. Visit Dallascowboys dot com slash Fan of the Year, Go Cowboys.
Speaker 8: Hey there, Cowboys Nation.
Speaker 9: Kyle Yeoman's here sharing that same team that brought you Buffalo. Bringing NFL casino games that show America's team on and off the reels. Aristocrat is changing the game with a new experience football fans. This means you can pick your team and play your team. Check out the Cowboys theme casino games developed by Aristocrat, a Proun sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Gambling problem, please contact the US National Problem Gambling Helpline at one eight hundred Gambler that's twenty hundred gamb l e R for twenty one over.
Speaker 6: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they.
Speaker 10: Snapper the press guy who looks right it's not there.
Speaker 2: He escaped. He'll one for a first down.
Speaker 6: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 10: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 6: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 6: Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 9: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order, plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping.
Speaker 8: The Jack Black Playmaker.
Speaker 9: Is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy wipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 2: To the players loud. The creators of Buffalo Casino Games, brings you a Cowboy at the Casino game developed by aristocrat find America's team on and off the reels. Now at a casino near you. Do you have a gambling problem, please contact one eight hundred gambler for twenty one and over all.
Speaker 3: Right, heck Maharrison appreciate it, Thank you very much. By the way, this listen to radio broadcast, Babe Loffenberg had the same.
Speaker 2: Read, So boom, there you go, there you go, there you go, Bury Church.
Speaker 3: From my Cowboys safety, it's here as we're getting closer now, it's all about getting towards Cleveland and game one up there. By the way, Nick Chubb is out, So Nick Chubb's gonna miss four games. He's still recovering, So the Cowboys do not have to face Nick Chubb. And that is a sigh of relief, because when healthy, Nick Chubb is one of the better backs in the league. I don't use the word special very much with Nick Chubb.
Speaker 2: Special. Yeah, but coming off you saw that injury last year. It was terrific. It was a terrific injury, and you knew that it was going to be a bit before he was able to make it back. I remember seeing the video. I sent it to the friend group of him like five place six flights on each side. I'm like, dude, what are you doing? Like I saw your need Like come on man, Like he's back into this thing. So it's just good to know that he's still back on track to to get back on the Roston play.
Speaker 3: Give the Browns some credit for not trying to rush and being some teams, Hey man, let's get you on back here. They at least understand, hey man, this, he's not where he needs to be. We'll slow play this thing. Let's get him right. So because we know there's certain teams out there that you know.
Speaker 2: For to hear now.
Speaker 3: And that's also what helped when your coach has job security. Yeah, he done that down back there. That's true, you know, which is wild to think about. Cleveland's coach got job security and the man who's in won a Super Bowl, won twelve games the last couple of years out here on a one year deal.
Speaker 2: Man, prove it.
Speaker 3: Prove it for your supper, Mike, which wow, And the way the offense was last year, so you just paid CD lamb all that that was this first year in the offense, and this is Mike calling place at the Finally your boy got shown the door.
Speaker 2: No disrespect, man, disrespect.
Speaker 3: That should be a contracted cension right now. It's being the OC coach wise man. I mean, I just think last year for show he did I for me, I think Mike is a very good coach. You start looking at the top twenty wins list, Mike is on the top when NFL history, man, Mike is on the top twenty wins list.
Speaker 2: Man got more than Bill Coward. How about that? I know that one.
Speaker 3: Uh huh, and either has more than Dungee or he's right there by Dungee, two guys who were in the Hall of Fame. So, I mean Mike is a really good coach and a play call for all the stuff people talk about Sean Payton, they're basically you start looking at their record.
Speaker 2: That's not a lot of coaches in the league right now with a better record. I think obviously, uh in Kents City, you know he's there, but he's been coaching for a long time. And it's it's when you the point that you just brought up about guys coming back from injuries and things like that, that's one of the points of Mike McCarthy that he never really gets the way that he manages may that he manages players, and the way guys respect him for that. So you know, this is not this is one of those I guess the media we're waiting to unravel how complicated this is him coaching on a one year deal, the respect of the locker room and his coaching staff. I mean, there's a lot going into a guy like Mike McCarthy being on a one year deal.
Speaker 3: Let me piggyback on what you talked about that and Chris being way in here, because Chris was at training camp every single day handling the press conferences. I think Mike deserves a lot of credit because he was asked about.
Speaker 4: CD lamp all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, never took any bait, never did anything where he put the player in a position that might be uncomfortable about or the organization. He kept talking about. It was business and Chris I thought that. I thought that showed a lot on Mike because we have seen in football and other sports where you got some coaches who can get out there say some things that alienate them with the players in the room and management.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he basically was like, that's the business side and we understand that. So he was definitely pushing that through camp, and he did a really good job about just you know, being in the moment about the guys that were actually at camp basically and that's a.
Speaker 3: Skill, man, that is that is that is a skill. So before break you you you hit raised the question, so go back there.
Speaker 2: No, so you know, literally, d run Bland, we just get a random tweet and alert that d run Bland has fractured his foot and is going to be out for six to eight weeks. And it couldn't have come at the worst time. And I think we've been become accustomed to getting that bad news with our cornerbacks over the last couple of years. And then I think even going back to like Anthony Brown, when you started getting those you know, guys going to be out for a substantial amount of time, not comparing the players, but that's what I'm just saying, guys out.
Speaker 4: Contract any.
Speaker 2: Talk about dirt, but feel this time, this time wasn't here, but it was. Hey, look you look at a guy. You look at some of these guys behind them, Guys like keem On Hall, Guys that are getting opportunities now guys that you may have to cut and bring back. You know, they made an in season trade with who said, Nashon Wright and Booth from Minnesota to back, you know, to obviously add to another death piece, and you get a you get a guy like Eric Scott out of the you know, out of the fold, and you know, obviously organizational guy they picked him. But then he's cut and it surprises you, especially with Dern Bland's absence. Now here's the deal I think behind that, they've got to feel really confident in the guys that they have if they haven't made any more acquisitions. Now, that's another piece that I'm thinking about, Like Hook, You're you're bringing back a Trayvon Diggs that's coming back off coming back off of an a c L injury, And so how concerning is that before the Bland and and now with Bland going down, you know, there's got to be a lot of questions now around the cornerback. Yeah, when you look at it, just going off of just on the field aspect of it. With Bland, if he was healthy and dead's coming back, you could have Bland kind of shadowing that number one guy. You could have let Diz come back at his own type of pace where okay, maybe I'll get the number two wide receiver here, or play a little bit of zone here and let you know, Bland through the mand technique on the other side to confuse the quarterback. But with Blair or Bland out right now, you know, for six eight weeks, however long they they say the foot injury is did, He's gonna be that number one corner roll once again, and he's gonna get thrown into the fire because he's gonna have to go out there and he's gonna have to guard the top guys. When you talk about a Namari Cooper week one, when you talk about those guys that he has to play in those first couple of.
Speaker 5: Games, He's gonna get thrown into the fire because it's a neeed, it's a need. Right now, you don't have Bland over there. You got George Lewis. But to me, Lewis is the perfect prototypical nickel corner movie. Don't move him on the outside.
Speaker 2: He is your slot corner.
Speaker 5: So the question that ass is you know who's gonna step up and be that you know, opposite outside corner of Diggs I mean, you got some young guys in there. I was surprised with the Eric Scott cut as well. But once again, that's a dan Quinn guy, you know. That was that was one of his guys that he wanted to bring in as far as draft pick. And you got a whole new regime as far as on the defensive side of the football. So we'll see what Booth has out there. You know, in the preseason, it didn't look very promising for what Ruth was able to do on that outside corner roll. But we'll see as the season is young. He's getting into this new system, so we'll see what he can bring. But to me, that's a big time question mark is the other outside corner from treyvon di Because you got Lewis in the slot, you got Diggs on one side. But who's gonna be that outside corner? But Carson, Carson.
Speaker 2: It's a young it's a young pup. That's a young guy.
Speaker 4: This is.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Welcome to the show, baby, gonna get welcomed. And yes, yes, but when they're letting Scott go once again, when they make moves like this, somebody's telling you what we like Carson and what and you go, this is where you trust in the guy like Al Harris, get your guys straight. So it's gonna take a collective group.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can hide them for sure.
Speaker 5: Like you can you can hide them, get safety to helps over the top, get linebackers buzzing underneath. But then that also takes away from your run defense as well. So it's gonna be a give and take.
Speaker 3: And that's that's the This is the NFL, and everybody's gonna be going going through something. I remember when Doug Collins was uh it was an analyst at the time for t T and he sat around and kind of did a media session where he says, your job as a coach is to cover up the wards and I'm like, that's really an apropos for for any sport coach knows we got we got issues here, and they do look at the tape and you're in there with the meeting rooms, all right, week here we got this here. How do we cover it up? And so where you thought you had the strength, now blaming is gone. Okay, how do we cover it up? Last year they did a heck of a job covering up Diggs because I remember us doing the podcast. Oh my goodness, gracious man, what are you gonna do? Because Dick was so good the year before, in the last two years, he was really good.
Speaker 5: They figured it out, right, I mean, you did have an all pro corner in there and Gilmour coming in and then Bland is as Bland is who he is.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's record setting year, yes, And I love how you know with Cowboy Nation, we just go from all right, Bland was a fifth round pick. Kayling Carson is a fifth round pick, and it may not work like that. And we talk about the genius of that whole position being in Al Harris's hands, and we've seen the way that those cornerbacks operated in the preseason, but also could be a part of what you know, Will McLay has done as well by bringing in talent in the fifth round. And you're seeing these guys prospering camp. Does that correlate to the game You know, we're going to see because like you said, he's going to be thrust into a position to obviously show what he has. And I don't think that Mike Zimmer is going to sacrifice the foundation of his defense to protect one guy. You got to earn your key.
Speaker 3: Obviously your correct church question marks, but this is this is the NFL, and and you're nobody's gonna feel sorry for you and happened and you have to figure it out. Nobody nobody here feel sorry. Nick Chubb won't be there for week. So this is what it's going to be. And and throughout the league time and time again, teams are going to have to figure out how do we cover up this war? And that that's why you're paying your coaches. That's why you've got Mike McCarthy here, who won a Super Bowl with a roster that just kept falling apart all year along with Green Bay, and even in the Super Bowl game loses Donald Driver. They kept losing dudes, and so you find you find the ways to win. And this is where coaching matters, player development matters, and we'll.
Speaker 4: See, we'll see what they do.
Speaker 3: But losing Bland hurt because you thought you were going to well, not only losing Bland, but then Gilmore signs three d's early man that.
Speaker 2: Because that was wrong, we get a redo on that, maybe out of that contract come back home.
Speaker 4: So as a former player, so Gilmour got ten.
Speaker 2: Mil, which is a heck of it.
Speaker 3: But you're in Minnesota, who the first round picked the quarterback. JJ McCarthy's out for the years. So now that they're they're they're struggling the quarterback. How would you feel if you got your money? Then you see what happened with Blane playing.
Speaker 5: If I'm in Gilmore shoes, I'm looking at it like, man, you know, you know, I kind of want to be back in Dallas. But you know, he has his Super Bowl, he got his All Pros, Defensive Players of the Year, he got all that. So you're looking at the situation in Dallas. You're saying, man, that would have been cool to kind of just go back to where you know, I know that locker room and all that stuff. Now I got to start over in Minnesota. But he has all the credentials. So I'm sure that he's just kind of sitting back saying, hey, man, well right here.
Speaker 2: That last Barry Church that question and you opened it uphe he got ten million dollars. You know what Barry would have been saying, oops, I'll say it, ten million dollar bag.
Speaker 4: They're all cold. Ain't got no quarterback his.
Speaker 2: Meat going and that get right? You know, no.
Speaker 4: Hear no state taxes to other than the guys.
Speaker 3: Guys, you know, you know, hey, man.
Speaker 2: How quick is that you haul packed up in the last game? How fast? How fast they lined up already? Especially if you.
Speaker 5: Lose Man last year, Jackson's loud beach be terrible. I'm getting the vacations booked. We already knew what time.
Speaker 2: It was, but you know, he go do it, and go do it.
Speaker 4: Let's get our second break in here.
Speaker 3: One name that the Cowboys cut that I don't want to say I'm surprised about. I'm just kind of trying to understand what happened to this guy. We'll do that with Heck Maharrison, Barry Church on new Scrugs. This is the Player's Lounge, brought to you by Aristocrat Gaming All on Dallas Cowboys dot com Radio.
Speaker 11: To kick off the twenty twenty three NFL season, Hugo Boss teamed up with the NFL and Micah Parsons to launch an iconic apparel collection featuring hoodies, crews, T shirts, polos, joggers, and more. The bold, unique apparel of the Boss NFL collection unites football and fashion while we're what it truly means to be a boss. Get yours today, at nflshop dot com, slash Hugo Boss at Hugo Boss dot com and at Boss retail stores hashtag be your own Boss.
Speaker 2: I'm Cowboys alumni Danny mccraig here with Smoothie King asking what's that sound. That's the sound of me sipping one of their powerpacksmoothies with over ten grams of pro team with real fruits and organic veggies. Because that's Smoothie King. What you see is what you sip. So grab a delicious Smoothie King Smoothie, throw a straw in your job and gets sipping real Smoothie King, the official smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 8: Hey, their Cowboys Nation.
Speaker 9: Kyle Yeoman's here sharing that same team that brought you Buffalo bringing NFL casino games that show America's team on and off the reels. Aristocrat is changing the game with a new experience football fans. This means you can pick your team and play your team. Check out the Cowboys theme casino games by Aristocrat, a brown sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Gambling problem, please contact the US National Problem Gambling Helpline at one hundred Gambler.
Speaker 8: That's twenty eight hundred gam b.
Speaker 10: L E R for twenty one over Raising Caines presents the other rules of football. Rule one, any broadcast without the express edition of cook to Order Cane's Chicken fingers is prohibited. Rule twelve no crinkle cut fries, Texas toast or cravable cane sauce constitutes an illegal formation. And Rule thirty one anybody who loves to feed their game face is an eligible receiver of Caines when it comes to winning game day. Caines rules Raising Canes Chicken Fingers. One Love Go Cowboys.
Speaker 1: To the players.
Speaker 2: Loune Football is back. Come watch your Dallas Cowboys practice doing back to back nights of training camp presented by American Airlines at the Star in Frisco. Training camp kicks off tonight with Cowboys Night and concludes with his Sex at Night of open practice tomorrow. Training camp is free and open to the public. Visit Dallas Cowboys dot com slash Training Camp for more info.
Speaker 3: Yeah, better get it early because the parking is right down. We came up here for the podcast, driving.
Speaker 2: Around like they already here. It was when they had a country show up. Well so much so much for that Cowboys sentiment, huh, swing up. Yeah, they lined up outside. Okay it's free, Yeah, okay, it's free alright, pro shop selling out too.
Speaker 3: Well that Actually I had a conversation with a buddy of mine in California the way over here. It's like, well, the tickets are final, I said, tickets are sold. I was like, they're gonna the tickets are sold. Okay, And I had a friend who talked about coming out to see the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Was the December game? Because here's what I will tell you.
Speaker 3: If the Cowboys aren't good December, people don't get the tickets, ware they GOI sell, they will not come up here and spend the good time coming.
Speaker 2: If you're gone this this town is move on. I've been a part of it. Where's everybody yet?
Speaker 4: So it was it was. It was the year when they played the Jets in December.
Speaker 3: The Cowboys weren't good, and and one of a friend of a friend of mine to another friend had said, I want to get my husband tickets and it was maybe like September too.
Speaker 4: I said, don't buy, don't buy. I said, it's a December game.
Speaker 3: Wait, because if the Cowboys are not good, it's gonna be a cheap ticket. If they are good, you maybe hate me sure if they weren't good. And next thing that she.
Speaker 2: Bought like four five.
Speaker 3: Blurs, all right, about four five tickets. But no, man, the tickets are sold there, they're here. It's gonna be packed. It's just depending on how the team plays, what what the intensity level is about how fans are gonna rack.
Speaker 2: They gotta ask you, guys, man, at what point in the season do people start calling you and remembering, remembering that you have tickets to the game. When does that happen for me? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Man, it was about because they started hotting.
Speaker 2: Was that? Uh?
Speaker 4: Let me think what was that sixteen?
Speaker 2: No, I was I'm trying to think of It was the middle of the season something. Okay, middle of the season, okay, once they started out hoting. Hey, I get it. I mean every week, man, what's up? Man? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, hey man, you call this number right here, and that's how you get to the box, that's how you pay for it.
Speaker 2: I am. It's like everybody realizes I'm alive. The week before the season, season and I start getting that call. You know, hey man, what you doing? I got a friend coming to town for the Baltimore game like Baltimore, not the not the command, this game nothing Baltimore. You are you really you are? You are Baltimore. And that'd be the worst. It don't even be know how you're doing.
Speaker 4: I got somebody coming in, yes, like our standard line. Yeah, sure, what's your credit card?
Speaker 2: Now, what's your dad? You know what? That's right?
Speaker 4: Credit card?
Speaker 2: I'll see what I do.
Speaker 3: What's your credit card number? And one time I had I had one. Hey man, we're coming into town. Man, you know we'll buy some ticks with We're trying to get some discount tickets.
Speaker 2: What is I said? Man, let me help you got no discount tickets yet. This ain't the Carolina Panthers. Ain't no discount tickets here.
Speaker 3: This whole family four pack like you guys are buying and shot okay.
Speaker 2: Comes with a pepsi pepsi and popcorn.
Speaker 3: No discount tickets and Jerry either you want to pay the price, you doun what's your credit card?
Speaker 4: What's your credit card?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna have to use that. You know.
Speaker 4: You know what happens after that. You'll get a call back.
Speaker 2: Let me hit your back.
Speaker 9: You know what.
Speaker 2: You also don't get the number the number, you don't get the call in the card number either.
Speaker 4: Need then three digits on the back. You don't get it.
Speaker 2: You don't get it. So that is you you want your fool proof all right.
Speaker 3: That's a public service announcement on the playing that if in your world anybody trying to hit you up for tickets for something, you know, tell them, sure, I'll make a call.
Speaker 4: What's your credit card number?
Speaker 3: So when I make the call and I'm able to get it for it, then you just they're gonna go away the building address and I needed last three digits on the back ye credit card number, expiration date, and the three digits on the back.
Speaker 2: To the Baltimore game. Baltimore game.
Speaker 4: Heckna, they don't call back. No, no, they don't call back.
Speaker 2: Like I said, they realized I'm alive two weeks before this, I'm like, wow, how you doing? Miss birthdays and all that the whole time.
Speaker 4: Cowboy cuts have come down and tight end.
Speaker 3: Peyton Hendershot no longer here m hmm made the team as a rookie and he was from Indiana. They drafted Jake Ferguson and both of these young men had real good seasons and for the next year went next level the starter and hender Shot dealt with some injuries and and just had been the same. So when I saw his name on the cutlass, it's like, you know, man, what.
Speaker 2: Happened to this guy? Because he was a mismatch guy.
Speaker 5: He can split him out on the slide linebacker safeties and give him problems. But you know, got to be more than a vertical threat. Got to be able to block in line.
Speaker 2: You said it, you know, I think the injuries really derailed a lot of his progress. And seeing for take that next step in that jump really was like the great separator because eighty seven eighty eighty nine you couldn't tell one from the other when they were playing. But you know, you hate to see a guy have to move on like this, and maybe, you know, if they're able to bring him back at a later date and you know, get him back healthy, because I know he dealt with some injuries in camp as well. I still think that there's talent there. You know, I just think that somehow when the guy start facing those many injuries, it's frustration that sets in. Then he's not getting a playing time, and you know, things kind of go snowball and go down here.
Speaker 5: It's just tough because you know the tape's not going to be there. You know, you got to take from your rookie season. But with the injuries he dealt with last year, it's just it's gonna be tough, especially for undrafted guy.
Speaker 3: So let me pit this with you as a player. So he has this really good rookie season, they let Dalton Schultz go, So Ferguson's here, you're here. Then you look up and they draft Luke Schoonmaker in the second round. As a player, When you see that, what goes through your head?
Speaker 5: Oh, you hate it because I mean, I understand. It happened with me every year I was here. I mean, he always drafted the safety in the fourth, third round. And I remember their names too. I mean, my boy JJ Wilcoss, you got, Matt Johnson was out there. They brought a couple other guys in there as well. But you hate it, but you understand that a man. Now, I got to go out there and prove myself once again. And the fact that it's just not only you have to prove yourself, but you see people that haven't you know, played as well as you have or haven't you know been experiences you have. They don't have any competition out there. Their job is just theirs. But being where your drafted that you got to make it happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a business. Yeah, it's a business. It's a business. You have to grow up fast. And that's maybe probably one of the hardest things for him, especially when you have a partner in Ferguson that you're seeing the success that he has and you come in together. Not saying that there's any jealousy or anything like that, but you just see these two guys ascending at the same level and one just shoots in a different, uh direction. But I wish him well man. I think that again, he had a lot of talent, has a lot of talent. But Schoolmaker coming in, Man, that that couldn't have been something that you know, gave him more confidence and.
Speaker 4: He could block.
Speaker 3: That's the kind of thing I look at Schoolmaker and block. He needs to be a better blocker. But that that's kind of there. All right, fun show, appreciate man, Barry Church, Thank you very much, Chris being good to see you back in the person here after training man. Good to see all right. Thanks to Jazz Josh, everybody's part of the show. Players, Lins, We're back on Thursday, Thursday, Thursday. If you're coming out to the if you're coming out to see the cow get here early.
Speaker 2: Yeah, get here early. Parking is gonna be limited.
Speaker 3: And hey, ain't nothing like free, free free. Come come see him for free, Baby, come see him for free. All rights players, let's just brought you by Aristocrat Gaming. We'll talk to you Thursday right here, Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 3: Hey,