Speaker 1: It is Victory Monday, October twenty First, this is Jaguars Happy Hour.
Speaker 2: Jaguars Happy Hour is brought to you by Jet.
Speaker 3: Home Loans and now landing the starring role in the new Tony Vasselli adaptation The Book of Morons TVs. Kine nne As Stephens. Whoa whoa, whoa whoa wa Wait, get nice.
Speaker 2: This isn't your show just yet. And that wasn't very nice, But we do have a Victory Monday Happy Hour. I'm Kinnanni Stevens and for JP Shadrick, he is traveling back from the United Kingdoms, so you guys get me for one more and I feel very honored. I've had both Victory Happy Hour Mondays so far this season, one on one trip to London, Jaguars obviously beating the Patriots thirty two sixteen, the highest scoring game we've seen from the Jaguars so far this season. So it should be a fun episode coming up for you. We always keep it real and of course we'll have fanatic fan questions for you coming up as well. But more than anything, Jags needed that win.
Speaker 3: Yesterday, no doubt about it.
Speaker 1: Needed to win a game.
Speaker 4: It didn't matter where Obviously we love coming over here, but it didn't matter where. We just needed to feel what winning feels like again.
Speaker 2: All right, Hall of Famer Tony Boselli as we mentioned in that play, and Pete Prisco going to join us as well. Yeah, they needed it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I jumped a gun a little bit there.
Speaker 2: So Okay, it's been a long it's been a long hours.
Speaker 3: That was a long week. Good week. Always good to go over to London, the annual trip, and it was.
Speaker 2: A lot longer because they lost the first game.
Speaker 1: That's for sure.
Speaker 3: It did make it, didn't it like last week's seem d I mean, last year felt like it just was so quick and great because we won both games. This year, probably there was a downer after that Bears game. We talked about that last week. We're going to ignore that this week because we got a victory. Did not start very well. I was nervous after the first quarter, down ten to nothing. We had five offensive plays, they had nineteen, had eight first downs, we had one. But give them credit. One of the things this team had been criticized for was not being able to overcome adversity. Trevor even called them fragile, and they did it, and I think it was led by the offense. The offense got it going broad energy. There was no energy at being in that game, Kai, I thought, not at all.
Speaker 2: And obviously the Jags didn't have any excuse because we've been there all week. The Patriots obviously, with the flight and whatnot, sometimes teams can start a little slow. But Pete, how do you look on TV?
Speaker 1: Like I think they looked lifeless, Like Tony said, you said, it just didn't look good in the beginning. But look, the one thing you were looking for, if things weren't going well, would they respond? And they did because the quit talk was out there, the fragile talk was out there, the culture talk was out there, and so they could have quit.
Speaker 5: They could have, you know, curled up.
Speaker 1: In the fetal position and said the season's done and started booking their trip to to Bermuda or wherever they go. But they didn't. And that's a good sign. And it's a good sign the way they did it. There's a lot of good things that came out of that game. That doesn't mean everything's fixed, That doesn't mean they're gonna make a playoff push. It means none of that. It means they beat a bad football team. But they did it after they fell behind ten nothing, and that's a good sign for that team. No, I agree.
Speaker 3: I thought the first quarter was very concerning and more not even offensively. Let me had one drive, I mean, and they got a first down. They stalled out. Okay, whatever that happens. But they only have five plays because your defense, again couldn't get off the field against the worst offense. Let's just be clear. The Patriots are the worst offense in the NFL. They're terrible. And I was like, what is going on?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 3: I agree with Pete giving them all the credit because we've all seen teams in the past that do curl up in the fetal position. They did not. And I'm gonna go back to that offense. I'm gonna go to try never Lawrence, who's played really good football peat in the last three games. And I thought offensively, they ran the ball, Tank was great, Trevor was great, offensive line protected. Now that's not a very good defense. It's not a dynamic defense by any means, but okay, it doesn't matter to the NFL. They get paid and the offense, man, they brought the energy, and I'll tell you, as a player and being on teams a lot of times that somebody has to step up, somebody has to make a play, or a unit does if the other unit's struggling. And I thought both offensively and special teams Parker Washington touchdown which I couldn't believe he fielded that punt when he did, but credit to him, he made it happen. And then the defense started coming along and started, you know, and the one thing the defense did the entire day peat is they stopped the run, making them one dimensional. And I think Drake may is gonna be a really good quarterback in this league. But they don't have the weapons, they don't have the offensive line, they don't have the talent to make to be one dimensional, they had to be able to run the ball. The Jaguars took that away, as they should, and you felt like, really end of second quarter, beginning of third that the game was over, like the Patriots were not going to come back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and look, you mentioned the quarterback, and and he's taken a lot of criticism over the course of the last season, you know, half the last season and this season, but are you right, the last couple of weeks have been really good. And so what do they do to kind of open things up a little bit, Tony? What they doos the.
Speaker 5: Middle of the field?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and when you take shots down the middle of the field, you hit those shots. And and one of the best throws he made was the crosser to Kirk Brady.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then Thomas made the big throw in the big play in the middle of the field for the big play. But those open things up. The threat of that opens everything else up. It opens the run game up, It opens those button million, fourteen thousand bubble screens they throw up. And that's why I think it was so good to see him do that the game, and I think it kind of got them going a little bit. It's kind of set the tempo for the rest of the day when they could be physical.
Speaker 5: Look, let's be real about it. You throw the score, you run the win.
Speaker 1: You have to be able to run the ball when you need to run the ball, but you have to be able to get chunk plays in the passing game.
Speaker 5: And I think they did that.
Speaker 1: Now that Patriots aren't very good on defense, like you said, but the fact that they did it was very encouraging.
Speaker 3: But Pete, I'm gonna like and we have had this debate a thousand times of the show. You talk about throw the ball to open it up, stretch things out, then run it. I like this fact those pound the rock and open up the play action pass take those deep shots because if you notice, both those deep shots were off play action pass.
Speaker 5: But they hadn't run it very well before they had.
Speaker 3: Now they were I mean the Kirk one I agree with they had not run the ball very well because it was early. That was the second That was only the second drive they had the ball, second time they had the ball in the game. I thought after that they did run the ball well. I thought they were physical upfront.
Speaker 1: I thought was when did Thomas play come the four third series?
Speaker 5: Okay, how many rushing yards did they have?
Speaker 1: At that point.
Speaker 3: They had pounded tank a few times. Pete where they started pounding it, he was getting he was having success. I'm not saying I'm not arguing your point is fair there because they did take shots early in the game. There's no doubt about it. Now we say early in the game, it was the second quarter because they weren't on the field the first quarter.
Speaker 1: That has to change.
Speaker 3: Like, by the way, I don't want to be negative in this first segment because we did win. Let me tell you what. The next four games are against four playoff teams, four teams with winning records, four teams with quarterbacks, four teams that are good. And if you start games like that against those teams. Defensively, it's gonna be hard to come back, it's gonna be very difficult. With that said, offensively they did, and to peach credit and to Pete's point point of view, they did throw it down the field early, in the middle of the field and took shots and give him credit, Trevor was very accurate, did a great job, and then they got the run game going. At one point, Pete, I know you were probably just having like an allergic reaction. They were called seventeen straight run plays.
Speaker 1: No, because you had the lead. I had no problem with it. I had no problem with it. It was working, they had the lead. I had no problem whatsoever.
Speaker 3: I was so excited at the booth. I'm like, this is the greatest thing I've ever seen. And I text, you know, I text, pressed, that's the game. I said, that's an offensive lines dream right there. Seventeenth straight play run plays like get physical, get after it, and I thought the offensive line did a great job. Kunos to Walker Little coming off the bench, I thought he I didn't get to watch the tape Pete because I did, I couldn't download it.
Speaker 1: Was he was the best offensive lineman on the field.
Speaker 3: He was physical. Though I watched him, I had my eye on him once he came in, I thought, listen, they don't have any pass rushers over there, so forget about the pass walking. I didn't. I didn't expect that front to get much pressure on Trevor. However, they have some big, long individuals who are physical at times. I thought Walker Little brought a physicality to the run game, and they ran right behind him very effectively. It'll be very interesting to see what happens now Cam had the concussion. Well, he's in the protocol, so we'll see if he's back by Green Bay this week. But let's say he's healthy. I think you have a real decision because the physicality and the way Walker Little played was very impressive to me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and he got to the second level.
Speaker 1: I mean he came off his guy a bunch of different times Tony on the tape and got to the second level and keyed those runs.
Speaker 5: I mean, he did a great job.
Speaker 1: Look when I put on the tape this morning, I went in with the open mind. How did he play? He was the best offensive lineman on the field. There's no doubt about it. And to be honest with you, I don't think it was close. And so it's a good it's a good problem because I think you have to go to him.
Speaker 5: I do.
Speaker 1: I think you have to go to him. He finishes, he's tougher. He was pretty, like you said, not a great pass protection over there. He looks so much more comfortable over there than he does on the other side. It's just it's just who he should be playing. Should be playing left tackle, and that's his position. As far as the rest of the line, and we'd go through them a little bit. I thought Morse had his worst game, you know, Pete.
Speaker 3: I didn't watch the tape, but live I would, I would agree with you. I watched. I'm like, huh, I haven't seen that from Mitch. Mitch has played really well. I think he gave up a couple of pressures. I found him on the ground.
Speaker 5: He didn't walk in the run game. Wasn't great in the run game.
Speaker 3: He was he on the ground more than usual because I thought watching problems.
Speaker 1: He had problems with that nose tackle when he was on his nose. He had real problems with him, and so that was an issue. You know, the third and one, the fourth and one. Give me a break.
Speaker 3: I mean, okay, we're not let's talk about that in the next hour. Things he did not like, Let's stay positive this.
Speaker 1: No. I mean, look, I got my tape, my tape book right here, full of plenty of negatives, because you know I'll find them.
Speaker 2: I had no doubt.
Speaker 3: And I'll just say right now, because Pete's going to go there next segment about the fourth and one, when we had an opportunity to make it a three possession game late in the fourth or mid midway through the fourth, I say, eight minutes, eight minutes, twenty six seconds. I thought it was eight.
Speaker 1: Eleven eleven fifty or something.
Speaker 3: Okay, whatever it was, I'm going to say on the record right now, I said, go for it. I'm wrong.
Speaker 1: I'm wrong.
Speaker 3: I was wrong to do it. I was emotional. I was being an offensive lineman because they were running the ball. They'd run it sixteen straight times. They were dominating, they were physical, and I said, you know what, give the offensive line a bone like show that you trust them in retrospect. As soon it was over because Logman called me out on the air. He was right. I knew Pete was going to kill me today. I knew Pete was going to kill me on Twitter. He's right.
Speaker 1: I was wrong.
Speaker 3: They should have kicked it. But the offensive line in me wanted to go for it. I wanted to throw the big guys at bone because I thought they were physical all day. I like the press, Taylor trusted them. I like the Doug and tusted them. I wanted to see them go for it. That's the wrong call. I was wrong. I don't say that very often. I don't like a meeting when I'm wrong. Pete, I was wrong, you were right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you were wrong. Was wrong, you were wrong.
Speaker 5: Doug was wrong.
Speaker 1: They were wrong. It makes no sense. He does eighteen eighteen, takes the two scores out of the makes it three scores.
Speaker 5: The game's over.
Speaker 3: But he let me tell you what. Pete is wrong.
Speaker 5: By the way, I forget about attitude.
Speaker 1: Attitude goes out to wind you right.
Speaker 5: Stop telling him he's wrong too. I'm not talking just to you.
Speaker 1: I'm talking to Doug Peterson, what's the rationale behind it?
Speaker 3: Were you?
Speaker 1: You?
Speaker 5: What you're thinking there?
Speaker 3: Just to make myself feel good as an offensive lineman?
Speaker 5: You not you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think.
Speaker 2: I don't think he's capable of not doing it. I feel like if there's ever a maybe on a fourth down, I absolutely know that he's wrong.
Speaker 3: That's who he is. Was wrong.
Speaker 1: Let me so good on third short that decided to go back to fourth to Jort, I mean you didn't get anything on third short.
Speaker 5: You should have said, no, we're going to go kick the field goal. Let's calm it said.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, you made your point. I'm with you where you Peene is wrong, dead wrong. But Patriots were right going for two when they did, because you at that point you know what you need to do. And by the way, we were very fine.
Speaker 5: I don't have any problem with that. I didn't have any problem with it.
Speaker 3: I thought you called it out on Twitter that you said you disagreed. Okay, I didn't.
Speaker 5: I didn't quite understand going for two when Jacksonville did it.
Speaker 3: I did just because they I mean, the odds saved from the one one go for it. I mean that's yeah, that's all okay.
Speaker 1: If the odds say from the one, you go for it, they threw a pass, what's the difference throwing the pass.
Speaker 5: From the two to the one.
Speaker 3: I didn't say I liked the play call. I just said.
Speaker 1: The thing.
Speaker 3: We are fortunate that turf was a little slippery because they they had a return route which is fake in go out, and the Jaguars defender I think it was Monterrey Brown.
Speaker 1: It was was it fell down.
Speaker 3: Dead to rights. The receiver slipped. That is, it would have been a one possession game if the receiver doesn't slip.
Speaker 1: And it would have been one possession game at large part because he didn't kick the damn field goal.
Speaker 3: That too, and that's what I was dreading it. I was so happy when he fell because I, oh gosh, but I was like, my idiotic decision to say go for it was so wrong and it was about to become even more wrong if they get the two point conversion. But overall, like, kudos that team, because let me say something, you're in London. You had a bad loss against a rookie quarterback the week before with Chicago, there was a lot of noise. That's a long week after a loss. Guys are away from their families, coaches away from their families. Everyone's negative around them. You know, one in five everyone's saying it's over, calling for you know, people to be fired. I mean, it was really a tough situation away from home. And I give those guys a ton of credit. I give the whole organization on the football side a ton of credit because they buckled down and they showed up. Yes, the Patriots are the worst team in the NFL, or they're they're fine, Caroline or the Patriots. They're both like, they should play each other to see wo's the worst team. It will be a zero three zero game. We'll see who wins. Doesn't matter. But that's a bad football team we'd beat. I don't care. It's still the NFL. You can lose to those teams. And they showed up. They were ready. I didn't like how they came out of the locker room, but when it mattered, they got their stuff together on the sideline, they found a way to dig deep and they played really good football from the second quarter on, and I give them credit for that.
Speaker 2: We saw some fight, which was great.
Speaker 3: It was great.
Speaker 2: Happy Hour brought to you by pri Productions the Southeast Full Service evand Company for everything you need to bring your next idea to life. Visit Priproductions dot com to learn more. All Right, we're here on Happy Hour Victory Monday. When we return, we'll talk about the defense a little bit, some of the changes we saw all that coming up on Jaguars Happy Hour presented by Jet Home Loans.
Speaker 6: It really meant a lie and I if me personally I could take some of that responsibility because that first touchdown that was on me and obviously just coming into the finishing the game and doing everything that I know I.
Speaker 1: Could do, which is execute every player.
Speaker 6: And so that's what I feel like we did going on for the rest of the game and everything was clearing.
Speaker 2: Sign up for your Ferry Friend for the Jaguars Official Four Legged Fan Club for pets presented by Forever That's Animal Hospital. Visit Jaguars dot com Slash Promotion Slash four Legged Fan Club to sign hup. Today it's Trayvon Walker talking post game after the Jaguars got a win in London. There only win in London because they lost the first game to the Bears and Tony. We talked a little bit about this off the top. The defense did not look great coming out of the gun, including that touchdown run against trym Michael Hasey, former running back for the Jaguars. What was that play exactly?
Speaker 3: You mean the little swing pass to so they it looked like they're in the zone blitz and trying to overload offensive left defensive right dropping Josh heinz Allen the coverage. I don't like it. On third down, you know they're passing. Why are you putting your why are you putting your best pass rusher in coverage? I don't understand that or.
Speaker 2: Josh Heinzellen coverage pretty much ever really.
Speaker 3: Like like I would never drop him, but I get some blitzers. You want to overload and make them think, okay, great whatever. We don't blitz very much. We blitzed more like one possession then we have all year. I think, still bad offensive tackles third and long, like let Josh go like get like you gotta rush the passer. And they dropped him the coverage. I thought, look, he looked late dropping.
Speaker 1: Well, well you know what happened, Tony. He was on on the right side of the defensive formation and dropped out into the middle.
Speaker 3: He was on the left side. He was playing left end that play and was supposed to drop into the flat. I thought it was dropped. Wasn't very good and then there was so much space.
Speaker 1: Oh, he's on the other side.
Speaker 5: He came across the It's that's the weird thing about it.
Speaker 3: I don't think he did. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm almost one positive. If we could show the play, you could see it. It's a bad coverage. It's a bad it's a bad thing.
Speaker 3: For I'd love to pull it up if we have it. I don't know if we have it or not. And I'll trust you because I didn't watch the tape again, I thought he'd dropped from because he played it was interesting this game. Josh Heinzeuen played some more left end than he had been. They kind of flipped him and uh Trayvon around and then at the in the fourth quarter when they're doing a lot of pass rushing, he was playing three technique and they had Graziano at the end and they're trying to get pushed inside using Joshu the three technique, which I'm not against. I think I'd like to see Trayvon inside bet more. I think it'd be really interesting to have Trayvon and Josh on the same side at times, but I like to mix it up, trying to get create things.
Speaker 1: But they finally listened to me on how to align their defense though they're listening in Pete.
Speaker 3: Yeah it was Pete. I'm pretty sure it was the least amount of end that Eric Armstead played.
Speaker 1: And had game and he got his pressures from inside.
Speaker 3: Shocking.
Speaker 1: Only that shocking you you say where Darnell Savage was playing.
Speaker 3: Right safety because Antonio Johnson got benched.
Speaker 1: Which is where he should be playing.
Speaker 5: I didn't.
Speaker 1: I say that all throughout the early part of this show and in training camp, and I said that all along.
Speaker 5: He's not a nickel. He's a safety. He should have been playing safety all along.
Speaker 3: He played a lot of nickel in Green Bay.
Speaker 1: But I know, but he's not a nickel. He's a safety. That's what he is. He came into the league as a safety. He's not a nickel. He's not a twitchy guy. He's a safety. And and I personally think if it was my team, this is how I would play it. He'd be one of the safeties, Cisco would be the other one, and I think I'd have my corners being Monteric Brown and Campbell, and I played Jerryus Jones at the nickel.
Speaker 3: Well, Jerry's played nickel. Yesterday in Montera, they rotated all three guys.
Speaker 5: Rotate everybody hockey team.
Speaker 1: Remember we never forget three plays in they took the starting divisive line out three plays in.
Speaker 3: I got nothing to say because I don't get it either.
Speaker 1: So I'm looking, does anybody ever asked that guy why he does that? Hey, Ryan, what the hell do you rotate players like their hockey team for?
Speaker 2: What does he say so that they're What was he trying to say? I think he said two weeks ago is because that has played them, so now they're ready to go.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I'm a big believer play your best players as much as you can. I agree, that's my theory.
Speaker 5: But it was right.
Speaker 1: The alignments are right, and and and by the way, Monterak deserves to be on the field. He has earned the right to be on that field, and just like I think Ventre Miller has earned the right, particularly in the run game, he's earned the right to be on that field. But I think the alignment best alignments, and one I just gave him because Jones looks like a nickel corner.
Speaker 5: Savage never was. He's a safety.
Speaker 3: And I like what they did in the dime. You can put Antonio Johnson down that linebacker level, right.
Speaker 1: Which suits his skill set, right. I mean, I just it's just an Armstead was so much more comfortable rushing from the from the three technique.
Speaker 3: I wonder what Pete is that gouldn't be because his whole career he rushed as a three technique and sub.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, they did a lot, a little bit of a few different things though, Like they put Abdullah.
Speaker 5: On the inside a couple of times.
Speaker 3: Well they also put josh heinz Allen on the inside and put up Due outside and put uh you know, at the end of the game, Pete, he was rushing three technique in a three point stance, and he had Graziano outside. Sometimes he had a duel outside. Sometimes they changed it up. I still think I thought I would love to see Trayvon get some rushes at three technique me too, just too.
Speaker 2: And there was talk of this, and there was a lot of.
Speaker 3: And I haven't seen it.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen it, but I'll tell you what when when he and Arms sta are in side by side over there rushing.
Speaker 5: That's two big bodies coming after.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah. Now, And the funny thing I saw the win rate for the Jaguars. Armstead was one, or maybe it was for the league this weekend win rate Armstead won or pressure rate one of the two. I got thirty four percent and Josh Allen Heinz Allen was third. I think, uh, some.
Speaker 2: On has PFF has pass rush win win rate, Eric Arms has thirty six percent, joshes An thirty one points.
Speaker 3: Were they one and three in the league?
Speaker 2: Yep, pass rush snaps.
Speaker 3: Both of them. I mean, Josh heines Allen's getting a lot of pressure.
Speaker 1: Peat he's not getting sacks, I know.
Speaker 3: And then and then trade Bon's not.
Speaker 1: In fact, they don't get it. Usually don't get any pressure on the inside.
Speaker 3: And trade Bon's not getting a lot of like as far as PFF, a lot of pressure. But he's getting the sacks.
Speaker 2: But when he gets there he gets yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: Now, but the sack, if you look at the sack he got, there was pressure inside so the quarterback couldn't step up. Drake Bay dropped, he went backwards right, yep.
Speaker 1: Right, and and by the way. I want to say this. I thought Hamilton had his best game since he's been back. Hamilton, Yes, I thought he was physical in the run game. I mean, they're still not pushing the pocket in the middle of that defense. But he was physical in the run game and had his best game since he had that back issue.
Speaker 3: I figured because they averaged the they averaged about a yard per carry. They could not run the ball at all. The Patriots. I thought the front seven did a great job against the run, and that's what you have to do against a rookie quarterback.
Speaker 1: For'sive line.
Speaker 3: Oh, they're terrible, Pepe they start. That was their seventh starting combination.
Speaker 1: Of the year. Michael Jordan might be one of the worst guards I've ever seen in my entire life.
Speaker 3: He's a heck of a basketball player though indeed, yeah, yeah, but he can't play guard.
Speaker 1: That's that's you know. I used to give out a Spinning Top Award each week to the worst offensive lineman in the league, and then at the end of the year he wanted. I think he wanted two or three times when he was in Carolina, so he was the winner of the entire year.
Speaker 5: He won the award. He was awful. I mean, it's just bad.
Speaker 1: But but look credit to that front seven. They were were more physical and Hamilton was better. Here's the question I have a couple of them. Why did it take so long to figure out the things that you needed to do to play that defense when it was so obvious staring in the face.
Speaker 3: But okay, with timeout, go ahead. You said, A what's B?
Speaker 1: Huh?
Speaker 3: You said, why did it take so long to figure out how to play that defense? A?
Speaker 1: What was the B?
Speaker 3: You're I assume you're gonna give us a B option?
Speaker 5: Yeah? The B is the rotation? What are we doing?
Speaker 3: So here's here's my question, Pete. They did what they had to do. They won a game they're supposed to win. Is it they played better or is it the Patriots are that bad upfront? I mean, Jeff and I watch the tape, We're like, this might be the worst offense line we've seen all year. It is, And I think the real test is the next four and starting with Green Bay because green Bay is a good football team, well coached. I'm not saying they're the best team in the NFC or anything, but they're a good football team.
Speaker 1: They're a good team and they got good offensive line, and.
Speaker 3: They had a good offensive line. They have a good quarterback, they have weapons outside, they have a good running back. They have a pretty good defense too. I haven't studied them yet. I mean they they took it to Houston. They rushed, they harassed c. J. Stroud the whole game, and it was a close game. But they and they, but they got the victory with the last minute field goal.
Speaker 1: Our old guy, no comment.
Speaker 5: But by the way, let me ask you this too.
Speaker 1: A couple other things we didn't talk about because Roy robertson Harris, you know that whole thing happened. Yea after the show last week. We were onto something when he was playing in the preseason to.
Speaker 5: There was something going on there.
Speaker 1: We knew it. Here's the other part of that. Why did the second round pick is a healthy scratch?
Speaker 3: Here's the real thing, Pete. It's a great question because the rookie second rounder, and you expect your second rounder to contribute. That it's going to be a starter, but you expect him to contribute. He is a second second time this year, a healthy scratch, but healthy scratch. The week you got rid of one of your core rotational players and Roy Robinson, Harris and you brought up the sixth round or whatever Jefferson was for the first time. There's questions there like something's going on. They are unhappy. Yes, you you don't healthy scratch your second rounder, especially when you got rid of depth at that position during the week. It'll be interesting to see.
Speaker 5: I just I would say that something happened on the trip.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm not gonna say he was.
Speaker 3: I don't Maybe I don't.
Speaker 5: Maybe maybe it's late for me.
Speaker 3: I don't think that's it, Pete. I don't think that.
Speaker 5: Would be the better part of it.
Speaker 1: That means the other part of it means he's not very good and he has talent.
Speaker 3: I don't think it was because of disciplinary reasons.
Speaker 1: What do you think it is? Because he just they don't think he's very good. Well, there's also some talk that the coach and the general manager different on that one too.
Speaker 3: I don't know that either.
Speaker 1: I've heard that one too.
Speaker 3: I don't know that.
Speaker 2: All right, we're gonna think it over during the break coming up, we will talk a little bit more about the defense. Also, big day from Tank again once again stepping up with Traves, ytn out with an injury.
Speaker 7: You don't get too many opportunities in this National Football League, so when you get one, you have to take full advantage of them and do it at your best ability. And I felt like as we kept running the ball that they got, the Patriots would get tired, and we just got to keep going. And we've got to keep going, to keep going, to keep going. And I just took advantage though opportunities because on film to show like fourth quarter, come, third quarter, come those guys will start arm tackling and there starting loafing.
Speaker 5: So we just did what we had to do when those ops game.
Speaker 2: Are you looking for the MVP of the truck game, better check out twenty twenty four Ford f one fifty loaded with the impressive capability and game changing tech that you can dominate, workplay and everything in between. You can test drive it at your local Ford dealer. Proud partner the Jacksonville Jaguars. Back here on Happy Hour victory Monday, Tank bigsby another big day, taking full advantage of that opportunity. Travesy Dn, suffering a hamstring injury, wasn't able to go, but Tank certainly was. Tony I'm pretty good day, I know as an offensive lineman and you you were excited for the run.
Speaker 3: So I loved it. I love how they I think. I think Press did a great job calling the game. I think he got a feel for it, and he saw his offensive line playing well. He saw both backs. I thought the Artist Johnson ran the ball very well in that game, and so the combination of Tank and the Artist and an offensive line, I really like what Press did. They had some good play action pass. Trevor was on you know, spot on during the day, so it was outstanding and I thought it was interesting. I saw a Pro Football Talk and I don't know if someone asked, but you know, Doug Peterson said that Travis etn is still their number one back and he's the head coach. That's his choice. I've said it, so I'm not changing my tune because I've said this since the beginning of the season. I said in the preseason, and I got a lot of heat for it, at least here locally. I think I think Bigsby's your best running back. I'm not saying he's doing and I.
Speaker 2: Think maybe I know why Doug is saying it the way he is. What I believe is going to happen is it's going to be more of a split and they'll use Etn in the past game a little bit more and kind of more to his skill set. But I don't believe it's it's going to turn into a combo thing. I believe at some point.
Speaker 1: Or or it could turn into trading trade deadline.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I'm not saying if you're the Dallas cow if you're the Dallas Cowboys and you're supposed to have this team that's going to be a playoff team and you don't have a back that's worthy of that, why.
Speaker 5: Don't you go make a move to go get a guy like Etn?
Speaker 3: What would you what would it take to get him?
Speaker 1: Pete? Well, his contract is remember they picked up the fifty year option, so he's got some cash on that contract. It's not cheap. So four.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe I don't know. I'd be like a third, but yeah, I don't know. If you're I don't know if you're gonna get a third.
Speaker 1: But but again, you got to look at that if you're if you're Jacksonville, you have to look at that.
Speaker 5: And definitely make if something.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying they're going to lose to the Packers. But if they did lose to the Packers, then you got to start looking at all your trade options as well. I think that's something you got to consider.
Speaker 3: I would agree, but I would agree with that by the way, I would agree with one. I would listen right now too, if someone offered to me be a third for sure for Travis. Yeah, but not just him. I'm talking about depending on what happens this week. I think you do start listening even more.
Speaker 5: Like camp Robinson, what do you do or walk little one of them?
Speaker 3: I would listen, no, no, bat doubt about it, because both of both the free agents at the end of the year.
Speaker 1: Kirk, I would listen, yep.
Speaker 5: I think all those guys are in play for potential.
Speaker 3: Now it all depends and hopefully we win this week, and now you're okay, let's wait in another week. Let's see where this thing goes. And they're more than capable of winning this week if they play good football. But I'll go back to it. I said it before the game with the Patriots. I think Tank Bigsby, you need to give him twenty plus carries. I think he's he gets better as the game goes on. I think he's physical, and I would give Tank Bigsby twenty plus carries a game. That's what I would do.
Speaker 1: Yep, So okay, give him twenty you're gonna give Etn six or seven? Then? Basically sure? And dearnest ran pretty well?
Speaker 5: Ye ran great.
Speaker 3: I mean that's another.
Speaker 1: Reason why you trade Etn. So let me ask you this when as it relates to the running back position, do you ping them for wasting a first round pick on Etn? Do you give him credit for taking Bigsby when they had him in the in the what round? Did he come there? A third?
Speaker 3: Third?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Do you give it? So you get it's probably a combination of both of them.
Speaker 3: I want to be consistent because I think Travis CTN is a good player. But even when I thought he was the best back on this team and thought he was a very good player, I would never I would not have drafted him in the first round. Not because it's Travis Etn. There was no back I would have drafted in the first round.
Speaker 1: No, it's not worth it.
Speaker 3: Because I think you can get good backs like Tank Span Tink Bigsby late in the second, third, and fourth round. Right, that's right, that's my I'm not saying I'm right, but that's my.
Speaker 5: Third No, you're right.
Speaker 1: No, you're right, and I'm never going to admit that out loud, but you're right.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Uh, you don't draft backs in the first round. You find him anywhere there, you pull them off the shelf. I always like to say, boom, there's another one, and so you kill them for taking him in the first round, but you give him credit for finding the guy when he did find him in the third round. So I think it's a combination of too one quick note. I went back and watched the play. I was right, Tony. He lined up at right defensive end. The back was on the lined up offset on the right side of the offensive formation. So for him to even get over there and try and cover him, he has to clear run across the formation to get over there. It's a terrible, terrible coverage and I don't know how they put him in that situation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, okay, that makes me feel better because I thought he just took a bad drop because.
Speaker 2: He went all the way across the field and Trayvon kind of chirped up and said it was on him. So I'm wondering I order. He was supposed to drop when he saw the running back was on his side and he did it. I wonder it looked like something went wrong.
Speaker 3: I wonder if both of them are supposed to drop.
Speaker 1: And then the other part of that is Cisco made it lazy, terrible play on that play. And you know, for a guy who calls people call people out for quitting last week, he looked like he was loafing and then realized that the tackle wasn't going to be made and had to try and get over there, and the guy just made a move on him. Look, you're gonna call people out for quitting, you better go full all out all the time. And he didn't on that play.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you guys saw it at the game.
Speaker 3: I did not see it obviously. I did not see it live because I got I didn't see the Josh yeah yeah, or I forgot being uh in London. I tried to download the tape but it had not been uploaded to the cloud last night and then I flew home today.
Speaker 2: No, Tony was out on the town. He wasn't watching films.
Speaker 3: No, that's not true, guy. I was in my room trying to download it to my iPad. It was no, No, I was not drinking tea. I did not go to bed early. I didn't say that, but.
Speaker 1: God when I said that about Cisco, so you noticed it too.
Speaker 2: I mean, I feel the safety tackling in general, it's been good, and for me that's been hard. Part of the hardest part obviously, you know, the cornerbacks are gonna beat that's fine. The safeties they don't look like they're giving any effort, and Cisco look kind of slow compared to what we've seen him do before. It's funny, and I know people have said that about Josh kind of bulking up too. They don't have that speed burst that we saw at times last year, and I don't know if that's purposeful or it.
Speaker 3: Does not look like a fast defense.
Speaker 2: Which is what they kind of Obviously they've had issues. The secondaries had issues both years, but at least last year you could force turnovers. For the first half of the season, they haven't been able to do that. So now it's just like these long processions.
Speaker 3: Dropped interception and now he made a very nice breakup on the Polk play.
Speaker 2: Yep, right before was that right before Parker's kick?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was a very nice place.
Speaker 1: That's the tackling look you're gonna have. They have tackled poorly, and you're gonna have some mistackles. But his effort wasn't great.
Speaker 3: And I can't I can't comment on his effort because I didn't get to watch the tape. But that's disappointing. And I trust you because you do watch the tape. And obviously KAI saw it live. I did not notice that live. I was in shock that somehow Josh Allen was I thought it was so late dropping. I'm like, oh my goodness. Anyway, that's ridiculous. That makes no sense to me. It makes more sense now Treyvon said he made a mistake, so obviously there was a mix up. I think one of the things that is plagued this defense of guys getting lined up correctly and doing their job correctly. So that's concerning because again, the Patriots are a bad offense. So I just want to say this, they're the worst offense in the NFL. So I am really happy we won that game. But boyl boy, you gotta clean that stuff up because here comes Green Bay, who is not the worst offense in the NFL. I don't know where they're ranked. I haven't watched any tape, but that is you gotta clean that stuff up. It goes back to and we talked about this in the pregame, UH in the broadcast, and I said it like the key of the game, like before you can start, before you can start worrying about winning, like stop beating yourself. Like the first thing you do is you don't beat yourself. It's hard to win in the NFL. It's impossible if you're beating yourself. And so that's got to get cleaned up.
Speaker 1: UH.
Speaker 3: Coming in down the stretch. You have a tough stretch of four games starting with Green Bay here and they don't and you know, I believe they're off today because of the travel. I believe they're in tomorrow. And you got to have really good work on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday getting ready for this Sunday game. It's a big game because if you get to three and five, it's different, it's a different feeling.
Speaker 1: That, yeah, you start feeling a little better about yourself and maybe gain some momentum. You're right, I mean a Luakan they say might be back this week.
Speaker 2: I think he's it's possible. I haven't heard anything.
Speaker 3: They have made They haven't made him available. I mean, they haven't opened the window they yet.
Speaker 2: He traveled with the team and obviously he was working, rehabbing and whatnot.
Speaker 5: But I think he's back. He starts starts with him Miller.
Speaker 3: You can't take Ventral Miller off the field. He's your best linebacker.
Speaker 1: I'm with you.
Speaker 5: I think he has to stay on the field.
Speaker 2: I'm curious if they will that.
Speaker 5: That is why that's interesting, is because you're admitting a mistake.
Speaker 3: Then forget about the mistake, Tony.
Speaker 5: We're in the same ballpark. You're preaching to the choir.
Speaker 1: I mean, but you know how you know how this league works.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you know good teams do, Pete. They put the best players in the field. They put the guys will give you the best chance of winning. And right now, your best linebacker is Ventro Miller. I don't care where he was drafted. I don't care where everyone else is drafted. I don't care what picks you trained to pick other people. I don't care what you're paying other people. Vent Trel Miller is your best linebacker.
Speaker 1: And and so what do you do with Lloyd? Let him rotate? In with the hockey players.
Speaker 3: Put him at Sam. I think he's a Sam. Anyways, he's a strong he's a strong line linebacker. That's what he is.
Speaker 1: And sit Mouma down.
Speaker 5: That's what you do.
Speaker 3: That would started on My starting lineup would be Ventre uh Foyer, figure out who's Mike, Who's well, I don't care whatever the other one does. Whatever each one does better. Foyer can play both. He's smart, he's I'm not saying the other guys are dombe, but Foyer is one of the smartest players in the league. And then put put put Devin Lloyd at Sam. That's what he played. He was on the line linebacker, and call like put him there. He's long, he's physical.
Speaker 5: I think he plays and he's terrible in coverage.
Speaker 3: He plays the run. He plays the run well.
Speaker 5: He hadn't kids plays to run really well.
Speaker 1: But he's terrible in coverage.
Speaker 3: And he did a good job in the run against the Patriots.
Speaker 1: That means he's only on the field.
Speaker 3: What Okay, put your best players out there, or at least the guy's playing the.
Speaker 1: Best right now. The choir is exactly what I would do.
Speaker 3: It's not that hard, peat, it's not Let's not make this more complicated. Let's not get into who got draft.
Speaker 1: And where and we traded.
Speaker 3: I don't I'm paying this guy this and stop. Who cares that? Will?
Speaker 5: I guarantee you there's somebody in that building that will do that.
Speaker 3: You know, the only thing that matters. So we talk like analytics are a big deal, though, aren't they. There's more analytics out there, and they're valuable and they tell you a lot and you learn a lot from analytics. Let me tell you the most important analytics in the NFL. It's called wins and losses because they tell you who you are, and that determines people's jobs at the end of the year, and that determines if you get a chance to play for the Lombardi Trophy. All that matters. You can you can talk about analytics until you're blue in the face. And I think they're important. I think we should take advantage of it and understand it and make decisions and learn from it and all that. I love it. I love what But let me tell you the most important and the only one that mattered, and it should influence every desci decision you make in an organization, from how you travel, how you practice, who you sign, what you do, what you eat, where you sleep, what your everything is. Wins and losses, Whatever gives you the best chance of winning. That's who you put on the field, that nothing else else. I don't care when you drafted them, I don't care how much money you paid them, if you made a mistake, whatever, it's over. Who gives you the best chance of winning. That's it.
Speaker 1: Wins and losses. And you know what else wins and losses does? It tells you you're getting flexed or flexed out of Sunday Night football.
Speaker 2: We're all getting our Sunday evening back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, weeks ago, that's I.
Speaker 3: Told you guys, we're gonna flexed. Yeah, it's been back to back years we've been flexing Sunday Night. As someone who loves this order, I believe we got flex last.
Speaker 2: Year too play Sunday Night.
Speaker 1: The Ravens played, They played the ravensday.
Speaker 3: I thought we got.
Speaker 2: Flexed later before we had completely faun apart.
Speaker 1: Now we were.
Speaker 3: We played.
Speaker 1: Actually the Sunday Night game is the number one seed in the that's.
Speaker 2: Right, we're talking about it. Buy at that point, Well, do we have to.
Speaker 3: Talk this year? I don't like that. It's not a good look. You don't want to be flexed. That means you're not a good team.
Speaker 1: Never.
Speaker 2: All right, we're heading into break. We'll talk a little bit of more, got some coaching advice for both Tony and Pete, and we'll talk a little bit more about that fourth down. Doug Peterson loves to go for it on fourth Stay with us here on Jaguars Happy Hour presented by Jet Home Loans.
Speaker 3: To go back to the decision.
Speaker 4: I mean, I was riding the momentum of what we were doing leading up to that point. Our offensive line was was really you know, taking control of the game at that point, and I felt like just putting it in their hands one more time, getting the first down right there and potentially you know, ice the game at that point. But they went down, scored, we get the ball back, and you still got to play football, and.
Speaker 1: That's this is just a message.
Speaker 4: You still got to continue to play, and we were able to do that.
Speaker 2: Jacksdvan. If you want customized Jaguars Runner Sure for your home, check on zip chure dot com to browse all the customer st options. Zipchair is furniture for fans Doug Peterson was riding the momentum. Tony Beselli said he would ride the momentum. This is this is amidst all the run plays back to back to back to back.
Speaker 3: Yep, I admitted I was wrong.
Speaker 2: And they didn't convert. I mean, if they convert, we never talked about it.
Speaker 3: But that's why Pete would have talked about it. Still, that's his credit. He would have He's consistent.
Speaker 2: Is that an analytics thing or is that just Doug being Doug.
Speaker 1: That's just Doug being Doug. Because the analytics will tell you to kick the field goal.
Speaker 3: You always go up three possessions.
Speaker 5: I mean, if it's in the if it's in the first half or whatever.
Speaker 1: Maybe, but in that situation, you have to go up three because are they even gonna Are they even going to get three possessions the rest of the game?
Speaker 3: Probably not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I think he made a major mistake there, and and and I think if he pinned him down on it, he would admit he made a mistake.
Speaker 3: I did. I made a mistake, not that I had anything to do with them, but I didn go for it.
Speaker 1: Well, that's why you should never have a damn headset on your head.
Speaker 3: No, that's not true, Pete. There's probably other reasons I shouldn't, but that's not the one of them.
Speaker 2: That's not the key one.
Speaker 3: There's more important ones than that.
Speaker 5: You know, somebody needs to talk him down sometimes, that's that's part of the problem.
Speaker 1: He needs a guy, said that, Tony. I've said that for years. They need to have an analytics guy standing right next to him saying, don't do it, do not do it, don't do it, Doug.
Speaker 3: You know who makes you know who else in the NFL makes calls like that sometimes?
Speaker 2: Who's this?
Speaker 3: Probably the guy coaching the best team in the NFL, Dan Campbell.
Speaker 5: And here's the thing about Dan Campbell doing it.
Speaker 1: You don't need to do it anymore.
Speaker 3: No he doesn't. But that's who.
Speaker 1: I mean.
Speaker 2: Well he didn't, then they didn't go to the super Bowl too.
Speaker 1: I mean, right, he cost him a chance to go to the super Bowl because of.
Speaker 3: His I'm not saying right or wrong, but I'm just saying, that's another guy who does it. So I'm saying Doug's not the only coach here.
Speaker 5: And here's the thing.
Speaker 1: When you're a young team coming up like the Lions, the coach needs to do things like that, to try and instill some culture and some belief and everything. When you're good team like the Lions.
Speaker 5: You don't need to do it.
Speaker 1: That guy faked the punt his own end last night yesterday on the twenty something yard line and he got stuffed and they got a touchdown two plays later.
Speaker 3: You don't do You don't need to do that, and they still won.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, pretty easily good.
Speaker 3: They're really good. Just to clean something up. Obviously, guys were right. We did not get flex last year. I was thinking of. I was thinking of twenty eighteen after we had a really good twenty seventeen. It was the first Sunday night game we'd had in a long time, and we got flexed in eighteen, so.
Speaker 2: We've been doing good. We had all those primetime games last year, one this year, all of them, all of them. You know what they need to do on Thursday night football, everyone.
Speaker 3: Pretty much everyone.
Speaker 2: Has except for us Monday Monday and then you get their two London games, so technically national.
Speaker 3: We're not going to say that I do not consider London games national.
Speaker 2: Well, last year when last time we had Monday night football, when I got here, people I said something on Monday Football, Monday Night Football, and they were like, oh, we've never like we don't have it. I'm like, oh, we we.
Speaker 3: Used to all the time.
Speaker 5: You get they should tell NBC.
Speaker 1: Look, if you're gonna put us on Sunday Night Football, make sure it's like in the first month, then we can't mess it up.
Speaker 3: We can't get flexed. Yeah that's fair enough. Yeah, it's just it's disappointing getting flexed. I just hate it because it's just it's it's a down, or because it just kind of speaks to the season you're having. I mean, it's not the end of the world or anything. I mean, go win, go.
Speaker 1: In, go in, go win four in a row and maybe you'll get something flex back in. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, go win four and oh you're six and five. My goodness, that would change a lot of things. Interesting.
Speaker 2: We love a comeback story. Everybody does.
Speaker 3: Let's go, let's get let's get it. Are you locking it? You're gonna lock to that?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not. And I do want to apologize for the double lock.
Speaker 3: Wells Kay's fault. She double lock. My single locks are never wrong. Kai screwed it up.
Speaker 2: It was all my fun, all right.
Speaker 5: When we come back.
Speaker 2: We'll talk are another victory Monday for Jaguars Happy Hour and thanks for joining us in the Jaguars Digital Network today.
Speaker 8: With us, they were in basically cover four quarters look and safeties were low, and that was honestly the look we were wanting for that play, and we had another option if that wasn't the coverage and the situation. But Brian did a great job of just running at the corner, keeping outside leverage and just running and then I'd put it out there and let him go make a players a great catch. You know, he's he's good. He's been making a lot of plays for us, so it's it's fun to watch him. It's fun to play with them and just to see him get better every week. We got to keep using them.
Speaker 2: Welcome back into our second hour of Jaguars Happy Hour. It's brought to you by zip Chair Jaguars fans. If you want customized Jaguars furniture for your home, check out zip here dot com to browse all customizable options. Zip Chair is furniture for fans. We're also brought to you by mister Chubby's Wings. This is the second hour of Happy Hour, Jaguar's got to win this. Another victory Monday for them, a win over the Patriots in their second game in London. So they're coming back from London one and one and Trevor Lawrence right there talking about his throw to Brian Thomas Junior over the middle, which was the prettiest throw I've seen in quite some time from him. Just a great connection between both of them and only a couple of games so far the season, so yeah.
Speaker 3: And that's that's one of those. That's one of those examples of everyone on the play doing a great job, including Gonzalez.
Speaker 2: The corner, who's amazing. So that even better because he played it perfectly as well.
Speaker 3: So it was great protection, great play call, so they got the right play call, off play action pass, good job up front, great job by Trevor recognizing the coverage and making it just a perfect throw. The athletic ability in the route by Brian Thomas Junior outstanding. It was really good coverage and you watch that in slow motion, like the fact that Gonzales his arms right there and the concentration by Brian to bring it in with a perfect throw. It was just one of those rare football plays like if you're Christian Gonzalez. It's like I made everything he could. I it's a perfect throw against a really good young receiver. It's really fast, and I made a play on the ball. I just missed it by an inch. Brian made a better play because he had better He had great concentration looking all the way in with the It was just it was a really it was a great play and a great play call. And I give a lot of credit to Trevor and Brian for executing.
Speaker 1: Well done and executing it is one thing.
Speaker 5: But the best part about that is calling it.
Speaker 2: Are you complimenting the play calling?
Speaker 1: I am I know I got a whole list of critical critical play calling over here, But.
Speaker 3: People, what did you not like about the play calling? Except for the fourth down? I thought the play calling was outstanding on Sunday probably.
Speaker 1: Let me let me see, No, the runs are fine. I like the runs. I didn't have any problem with that. What about when they.
Speaker 3: Went back to bubbles?
Speaker 1: I know it was it.
Speaker 5: Was no, it was it was bubble screen to the left.
Speaker 3: Yep, it was bubble screen to the left to the Brian Thomas, then bubble screen, and then.
Speaker 1: It was a reverse to Brian Thomas and then it was another bubble screen to Evan Ingram, four straight plays. I thought it was I thought it was bubble reverse written down somewhere in here.
Speaker 3: I thought it was bubble reverse bubbles what I thought it.
Speaker 1: Was when the game there was four?
Speaker 5: No, there was four of them? Was it really four?
Speaker 1: Yes? And it made me puke. I'm watching that, I'm like, what is this garbage?
Speaker 3: I don't remember. I thought it was third quarter?
Speaker 5: It was, and I wrote it down to where did I put it?
Speaker 3: It doesn't count beat. If you can't remember it, you're out. You can't criticize it. You don't have it, You're you're You're like a mad scientist. You can't find his notes.
Speaker 5: Well, because I got notes on everything.
Speaker 2: He's very well researched. We'll give him that.
Speaker 3: Very very disorganized though.
Speaker 5: No, but I because I have notes on other stuff. I'm organized.
Speaker 3: No, there's don't give any credits this organization. Poor professional third quarter, third quarter, bubble screen.
Speaker 9: To Thomas, bubblescreen, bubble screen left to Thomas, bubble screen right to Thomas, reverse to Thomas, bubble to Ingram.
Speaker 1: Poor straight You see that guy on the place.
Speaker 3: They liked it. They like to look it's awful. Now in fairness depressed.
Speaker 1: Okay, fairness, they picked up one first down with it. What else Trevor Lawrence bailed him out on the second little grouping over there because he uh, he had to scramble for whatever yards he scrambled for on that one play.
Speaker 3: But one of the just so you know, one of those bubbles was not called. It was checked too, because, uh, the Jaguars offense had the Patriots out leveraged with trips and that I believe that's the one Brian Thomas got the first down, so they they had out leveraged the Patriots defense. Hold on, they finished, let me finish. A different play was called. Trevor at the line of scrimm is checked to it. So that's not on press. That's a check by the quarterback based on a look.
Speaker 1: It was success.
Speaker 5: Is it a run pass option? Is that what it is?
Speaker 3: No, he checked at the line of scrimmage. He saw something. They had a look where they had out leveraged the defense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it looked like so they some of those are run pass options.
Speaker 3: I'm sure there's no doubt about that.
Speaker 1: But I think anyway, the reverses, those little those reverses. Gotta stopped to just throw the ball down the field. You got a big arm quarterback and he a wide receiver, runs like a gazelle throwing the damn ball down the field.
Speaker 3: He does, My goodness, and the fact that.
Speaker 1: He could run the way he runs.
Speaker 5: Kirk's play were I think, you know, God, you said that.
Speaker 1: Was such a beautiful throw, and it was a beautiful throw to to Brian Thomas.
Speaker 5: The throw to Kirk was phenomenal.
Speaker 1: From a quarter pill. Yes. Yeah, we had to put that perfectly over the linebacker and put it in a spot where the safety can't come up and blast him. Those open up because Thomas has the ability to go down the field and Tony.
Speaker 3: Well the other way. To be clear, the other reason that opened up it was off play action fake It held the linebackers long enough to create the space.
Speaker 5: I get it, but they hadn't they hadn't really run the ball.
Speaker 3: But the action held them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh, I agree with you.
Speaker 1: You can use play action if you can if you do get the run game going. I liked play action, but shots with play action I like that, And and you know what they ran into, you know, in another thing, I'll give him credit for I'm gonna give another more credit. I'm giving them credit. Why ripping them for the four?
Speaker 3: This is good. I like this positive with not.
Speaker 5: A bunched up formation on the goal line.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you like that spread. Look I wanted them to get up under center and.
Speaker 2: Just pound like an offensive lineman.
Speaker 1: That's all that is?
Speaker 3: Well okay, at least I'm honest. Yes, you're right, that's what I wanted to do. I'm not saying, but can they do that with the personality? Have no but pete in fairness, that's how everyone used to do it. More people do it the way you like it.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: I see more people in shotguns spread out on first and goal from the one than I do getting up in big people.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, look, it's getting that way, but it's still not.
Speaker 1: This team doesn't do it enough. I don't think. I think, considering the troubles they've had in short yardist situations, they should do it more.
Speaker 10: Fair And you know one other thing you mentioned earlier, Tony, the fielding to punt inside the five that has become an epid demic in the NFL.
Speaker 3: Remember it used to be you put your heels on the ten.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let it go everybody's fielding punts inside the inside the ten and even at the five. You know the Packers. When you watch the tape of the Packers next week, they did it. Romeo Dobbs fielded up No, no, the other kid, the slot corner fielded a punt. The slot receiver fielded a punt at the three yard line three yesterday.
Speaker 3: But when he fielded it and it was like an over the shoulder ketch him was because it was a boomy punt. Yeah, and like so his his momentum was taking him in the wrong direction.
Speaker 1: I'm like, what is he doing?
Speaker 3: And it went and then halfway through him, like thank goodness. Actually wasn't over the shoulder, but.
Speaker 1: It was this is this is I mean this one he I don't when you look at this one and you say, okay, why is he fielding it there?
Speaker 5: He feeled that because he saw that it was a giant hole right in front of him.
Speaker 3: Were the Patriots playing with eight guys on the field because no one even got near them. No, it was so well blocked. But those are.
Speaker 1: But it also goes to this part of the equation, why the hell did you spend all that money on Devin DuVernay. Anything, give me something on that they knew they had this kid and he was a returner.
Speaker 3: I don't know if they trust I don't think the trust is there. I think the trust is there.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: Do they trust him?
Speaker 1: Now? That's how you find returners. You draft them, develop them, and trust them. Here's here's where I think this came into play. Ready, you know what I think. I think they overthought it. And here's why. I think they thought. If they get Dubernay, they're gonna be ahead of the curve on the kickoff rules, and we're gonna have two guys and we're gonna set the trend and this and this and this and everything else, and the reality is all anybody does on those kickoffs boom.
Speaker 2: I think they definitely overestimated. I don't know if just the Dagwars, but I think everybody kind of did what this kick was gonna do.
Speaker 1: I know the thinking of that. I know the thinking.
Speaker 5: That's what that.
Speaker 1: Thinking had to be, because there's no way you're giving if you knew this kid could do with that, and we saw glimming.
Speaker 3: Little or you saw in the preseason. You saw the great kickoff return the first preseason.
Speaker 2: Because he was doing all the kickoff the preseason.
Speaker 1: So bottom line is they wasted the money on Devin dover Day.
Speaker 3: How much are they paying, Pete.
Speaker 1: I remember it's like two years and like eight million, eight and a half million or something like that.
Speaker 3: So too much four year?
Speaker 5: Yeah, no bang for the buck.
Speaker 3: We don't know that yet. He had a great return, had a great return in the gameturner.
Speaker 1: You don't pay a returner.
Speaker 3: They paid him in today's money, not a lot of money, Pete.
Speaker 1: And he had by the hand sitting on the bench.
Speaker 3: Okay, but dun is a good return and he helped us win the game against the Colts with a great return.
Speaker 1: That's set up a touchdown returner.
Speaker 3: You were so negative, Pete. We won the day game.
Speaker 2: We got a couple of compliments.
Speaker 3: I mean, we've been so negative on this show because they deserved it. Like now you're still attacking, give me a blank.
Speaker 5: I'm a realist. Somebody's got to bring some levity to the program.
Speaker 1: When you're waving your bomp bombs.
Speaker 3: Up levity, Well, there's a difference between realism and levity. If you're lefty means you're joking, joking. There's no joking with you. You're serious, Pete.
Speaker 2: You like him as a returner, and you talk about Kirk being available if someone calls about it. Do you feel like Parker can fill that role right now?
Speaker 1: Yes? I do.
Speaker 5: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: Look, he's not going to be Christian Kirk. But if somebody makes an offer to you it's desperate for a wide receiver.
Speaker 3: Well, it depends. Tell me what happens this week first, guys, can we like it like we won a game? If we win this week, let's wait.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but Tony always got to be prepared for every scenario.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm prepared, but I'm trying to like hang in there because it's been a miserable year so far, and trying to hang in there that we can find a way to beat the Pas, A good team. Yeah, I think I'm trying to do. I'm not saying, Pete, I agree with you. If you lose this week, the phone's ring and I'm listening. But until then, I'm holding off, unless obviously, if someone comes off.
Speaker 1: What do you listen? What are you listening to? You getting calls for what? I don't know? You got something to tell us?
Speaker 3: No, I'm saying I was I was speaking to what you were saying.
Speaker 5: Are you leaving the program on us?
Speaker 1: What do you know?
Speaker 3: I'm not going anywhere. I'm saying. I'm going back to what you said. If people call you, listen, if you lose this game. That's what we said the last hour. Am I not right? Am I wrong about that?
Speaker 1: By the way, Jacksonville, leave me alone. I know nothing. So that's all I'm gonna say on that.
Speaker 3: Can me too? You drug me into this, Pete.
Speaker 1: I didn't drag anybody into anything.
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Somebody made a fake d M or something and I had nothing to be out of it. I think it's you know what I really believe that is.
Speaker 5: I think that's.
Speaker 1: Wishful thinking on a lot of people's parts. I'll be honest with you.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about the Jags, big victory, Green Bay. We got, we know what we need to do. What are we keeping it real?
Speaker 2: We're keeping it real very soon shortly eventually, remember going to keep it real about you know what?
Speaker 3: Offensive line? The offensive line played great, Walker Little played great. Mitch Morris, who's been their best offensive line, and at his worst.
Speaker 1: Game Cleveland was okay, not great, and he had a couple of like on the fourth on the fourth and one was ugly, fourth one abused. One of those plays, sherif some good moments of bad moments, and I thought Harrison was actually pretty good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was. I saw live and I saw the replay of the Cleveland play on the fourth and one. I looked at Logavan and I said, I've been there before. That's one of those plays. When it happens, you're like, I hope that play gets cut out of the film because I don't want to watch that ever again. It's like, there's certain plays as an offensive lineman, and anyone who's played the position, anyone the greatest, the guys in the Hall of Fame, to guys who get one, you know, play just one season. If you've ever played the position, I don't care who you are. You've been in a situation where you have a play in a game and the first thought is you're like, oh no, that's on tape. I don't want to ever see that again because it's just a bad play. You're at a position, maybe get too high, you get pushed. It's just it's miserable. And I think Ezra Cleveland's played playing good football this year.
Speaker 1: And he had a good game in a lot of areas.
Speaker 3: Yes, And I watched him in the run game. They ran left into it behind him and Luke. I mean.
Speaker 5: They did a great job on their doubles.
Speaker 3: Yes, doubles. You thought we didn't hear that changed it to Walker. But here's the other thing. Tony and he had some great polls. On the touchdown, he had a great poll I mean so, but that was a bad one.
Speaker 1: A couple of them though, like on that. I think it was on the fourth down run, the third down run. The same thing shows up that we get annoyed about.
Speaker 5: Anton has to.
Speaker 1: Watch on his man's watching his guy. Remember his guy came down the line and kind of got the legs of the guy as he on the back before he can really get going.
Speaker 5: They gotta they gotta be careful of that.
Speaker 3: They do that a lot buying tickets. Can we I'm keeping it real, can we? Cause we uh, let's talk about the Green Bay game. I want to hear from.
Speaker 2: You, Pete, because you want producer over here.
Speaker 3: I'm asking you want I've watched a little bit. I've not watched the tape. You watch a lot more of these teams. You know, week in and week out, how does this team how do because we haven't beat a We beat the Colts, but by three they were beat up. But this is We're playing a good football team this week. Yes, playoff caliber team.
Speaker 1: Pete.
Speaker 3: What does this team need to do to be We.
Speaker 2: Are going to do that after the break round absolutely around the second hour of Jaguars Happy Hour and victory Monday, will keep it real, send it by mister Chubby's wings.
Speaker 8: Again.
Speaker 4: We got in a situation where we were down, you know, we were down ten, but but nobody was like, you know, here we go again, or defeated or you know, had negative thoughts. It was just just one play at a time or work ourselves back in it. And and offense went out and we we showed the complimentary aspect of the game today, you know, in all three phases.
Speaker 3: And that's what it.
Speaker 1: That's what it. You know.
Speaker 4: I'm uh the spark that you know, hopefully we can get this thing going.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 2: Our production is the Southeast Full service event company has everything you need to bring your next idea to life. Visit Prryproductions dot com to learn more. I'm Kindannie Stevens in for JP Shadrick, who's traveling back from London as we speak, Tony to SELLI, Pete Prisco, we are going to keep it real at your request today, We're going to keep it real about this game against the Packers.
Speaker 1: Pete.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna start with you because I know you watch all the league, all the games. Is it realistic if this team doesn't make mistakes? Can they beat the Packers this coming week?
Speaker 1: Well, they better be better on the back end defending the pass. This is a good pass offense, and I don't we haven't still haven't seen the best of it yet because Jordan Love was coming off that knee injury and for a couple of weeks he was kind of dragging a little bit. But you're starting to see little bits and pieces where he looks like Jordan Love again from last year. And they have good receivers. Christian Watson can fly and much like I talked to you guys about Brian Thomas clearing out with his ability to get deep, that's what Christian Watson does to their offense. And then they have so many guys underneath, and they have good tight ends. I mean they can catch the ball and catch the ball in the passing game as well, So it's gonna be a real and Jacob's runs hard.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be.
Speaker 3: Josh Jacobs is a good back and they got a good offensive line, so that this rush defense, who's done pretty good for the most part of stopping the run, especially this past Sunday they dominated, It's gonna be tested. And my fear is if the Packers get the run past like two things going, I think it's not gonna be good.
Speaker 5: It could be, it could be, it could get loose.
Speaker 1: That game can get high sched.
Speaker 3: And that's what I'm worried about because we have not like even if you look at the Patriots game, we didn't consistently rush Drake may He had too much time, especially early in that game. And that's an awful offensive line. This is a good offensive line, better receivers, better quarterback, and if they get the run like that's my biggest concern. If we I think you have to make him long dimension one dimension, you have to get him third long situations, and you have to get off the field. This team has not being able to get off the field. We don't get turnovers, we don't get up on third down very well, especially early so that needs to change. And then offensively, Pete the Packers defense, I don't know much about them.
Speaker 5: They hadn't been up until they.
Speaker 3: Got a lot of pressure last week in CJ. Stroud.
Speaker 1: What were they doing?
Speaker 3: Were they blitzing or they just rushing forth?
Speaker 5: Oh, they got after them.
Speaker 1: The Texas had problems with their offensive line on Sunday, and I haven't watched that tape yet, but it looked like on the TV when I was watching it they were And that had been a criticism of the Packers up until that point. That the pass rushers Rashaun Gary and Preston Smith and those guys, Yeah they're good players, but they hadn't been winning.
Speaker 5: That started to come together.
Speaker 1: Having Alexander back at corner helps at you know, because it makes them slow down the reads and you can't get the ball out. So it helped the pass rush. But that's a good defense. They have some young players. Evan Williams of safety on the back end is a really good rookie safety from Oregon's good player.
Speaker 5: They're athletic, they can run, they you know. And then they saw some veterans.
Speaker 1: You know, there's some veterans on the you know, like you mentioned Presto Smith, Kenny Clark, get guys up front, they could get after it.
Speaker 5: So it's gonna be a challenge for that offense. I mean, there's no doubt about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think for them to win this week, Guy, I don't think they're gonna stop the pack the Packers. I think the Packers are gonna like I think this, And if you look at and Doug said something aout complamentary football as we came out of the last break, and I agree with them. But what kicked off that complmentary football. It was the offense. It was Trevor, it was Brian Thomas Junior, was Tank Bigsby was that offensive line, and I think the offensive line for the rest of the year. If they want to get on any kind of run and start stacking wins, I think it has to be the offense. I think the offense has to come out fast. I actually would take the ball first almost because this we give up more points.
Speaker 2: You're steven.
Speaker 3: We give up more points than any other team in the NFL, and the opening drives of games more than anybody defensively. So let's take the ball first and see if we can get that fast start. And get going and set the tone. And I think this is one of those games, guys, that we're gonna have to win. Thirty one to twenty eight, twenty eight, twenty four. I mean it's gonna be in the high twenties, low thirties. And offensively, I think the onus is on them because Pete, I just don't see us getting enough pressure. And then you have a good offense line with a really good back in Josh Jacobs who is a power back downhill, physical.
Speaker 1: And if they get and good receivers.
Speaker 3: And if they get it going, like I just I don't see us getting a bunch of stops and so got to get a turnover here there, that'd be nice. But I think the onus is on the offense this week. The offense has to start fast and come out and saying we're gonna be in a heavyweight fight. Let's go. It is on our backs and defensive, give us a couple steal possession, get a turnover, give us a couple of stops, and let us go to work. I think I would take the ball first. I think this week I would play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would take arm I would make Armstead start at defensive three. Technique. If you look at the Packers defensive offensive line, the center is just okay and the right guard is just okay. That's that's the week.
Speaker 3: That's the weekly. Yeah, okay. I haven't watched the tape, so I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: But it tackles a really good player, and the left tackle has is okay. The left guard is really good. Jenkin, Elton Jenkins, you remember him. He's a good, very good player.
Speaker 3: And this is what I mean. Pete, uh, Doug Peterson's talked about it. You know, we're two and five. We've won two of the last three. Now, you could argue we beat a winning team in the Colts there four and three. However, that may be the.
Speaker 1: First four and three team I've ever seen, by the way.
Speaker 5: I'm serious.
Speaker 3: They just got flex the Sunday night, Bete, they're going.
Speaker 1: I know, but they lost. They beat the Dolphins barely by That team with the Huntley went out and they played the backup quarterback and held on for dear life. It's not a good team.
Speaker 3: But I mean, this is like, if you want to start stacking them, you better get it here because like it does not get easier. You got to go to Philly, which is a tough place to play. Now, the Phillies beat up a little bit on the offensive line. But then you got the Vikings, who were you know, we're beating the Lions early.
Speaker 5: And what's the four games? The four game stretches brut.
Speaker 3: Yeah, listen to this. Three of the four against the best division in football, the NFC North. So you got this week the Packers at home. Then you go to the I believe, the leading NFC East team, The Eagles have the best record in the NFC East, first place Eagles.
Speaker 1: They're tied with the Washington Okay, but.
Speaker 3: They're tied for first right. Then you go come home to this King Vikings, who are a five win team. Then you go to Detroit, who I think is the best team in the NFL. Like if the Detroit Lions are paying the Chiefs, I'm picking the Lions.
Speaker 1: I'm without without Hutchinson, I am they better go get They should go get Max Crosby.
Speaker 3: Well, there's a chance before we play them, they're gonna have traded for a pass rusher. Whether I don't think, I don't.
Speaker 1: Think that shows up. Believe me, that shows up. It showed up in a big way.
Speaker 3: I get that. But I don't think they get Crosby. I think they go get.
Speaker 1: Smith.
Speaker 3: I think they get Zadarius Smith from Cleveland.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's not good enough.
Speaker 3: But can they afford Crosby? Can they fit him in the cap?
Speaker 1: If you're all in this team, is this team?
Speaker 5: You're right?
Speaker 1: This team can win a Super Bowl year. He'll get Crosby.
Speaker 3: I would listen if they can fit it, because I do believe this is the best team in football. And if you get with a pass rusher, and if you can afford cap wise, go give a second rounder and go get Crosby, because I think you can get him for a second rounder.
Speaker 1: I would. I would do that. And it's because you had to give up one and you think you're gonna be good late one. Go get him for that too.
Speaker 3: You noticed Crosby set out this week, and that guy doesn't sit out for anything.
Speaker 5: And you know what else he did? No, he played this week?
Speaker 3: Oh did the end up? He did, but he didn't practice all week.
Speaker 5: Sorry, you know what he did?
Speaker 3: He didn't practice all week. But they came out.
Speaker 1: He said he's open to be a Drade because he's going to be a part of the rebuild.
Speaker 3: That's exactly right. He wants out.
Speaker 5: I can't play Detroit.
Speaker 1: I get him and make it happen, because with him they can win a super Bowl. If they don't get a guy like Crosby, they're not winning a super Bowl.
Speaker 3: They're good on offense, so my goodness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they've made they've They've made Jared Goff into the big time, big time MVP Candidy.
Speaker 3: They got two start backs, they got an offensive line. I mean, they are good. Now, here's the funny thing about the NFL. Though we are saying this right now, but the league is funny. And I'm not wishing this on anybody, but every team, every team is one or two key injuries away from being very average. That's that's the sad part. But that's the beauty of the NFL because you don't know until you get to December.
Speaker 2: It's a survival test making that far and playing your best football at the right time.
Speaker 3: Right now, they're the best team, But in my.
Speaker 1: Opinion, the Chiefs are the best team. I don't think so that defense is dark good Ton. I know they look ordinary on Sunday well.
Speaker 3: But they were also without Trent Williams got ejected, which both guys should have got both guys. Both guys should have got ejected. Ayuk blues the out. They don't have Christoph McCaffrey.
Speaker 5: He played, I know, but up until this point he's played pretty good football without those guys. Samuel was sick.
Speaker 3: He didn't play Samuel's I mean they were without their Come on, I mean, let's not make too much out of them beaten.
Speaker 1: And you know they hadn't run the ball. The same offensive line was there. They couldn't run ball.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying the Chiefs aren't good.
Speaker 2: I think the Chiefs are impresive at this point because they can always find a way no matter what.
Speaker 3: The fact that what's crazy about the Chiefs and we don't play them, which I'm happy about, is Patrick Mahomes has six touchdowns and eight interceptions and and they're undefeated. That's amazing.
Speaker 5: But you know what he can do if he needs to go get one.
Speaker 3: He that's the like this is and this is the next evolution that Trevor needs to take. When you have the ball in the fourth quarter and you have to go score, everyone in the stadium has to know you're gonna go score. Like there's certain guys in this league, like with like two or three minutes and you're like, oh, they're going to go score. They're like, Mahomes, you can gotta go score. Josh Allen, He's gonna go find a way to score. I mean, there's certain guys. The Detroit Lions is a team behind Jared Goff. I mean, give him great. Did he end up with over one hundred and fifty passeray again?
Speaker 1: No, but he's but he's his stats are amazing. He's the only quarterback. He has a completion presented at eighty three point five in the last four games, which is the highest ever. I mean, he's it's incredible. Do you realize he has They have scored more touchdowns and he has incompletions in the last four games.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Sixteen They fixed him. Ben Johnson, Ben Johnson, Ben Johnson, Ben Johnson, What about that guy?
Speaker 3: Give him credit. That's the quarterback coach. Give Mark a lot of credits.
Speaker 5: Job with the quarterback too. I mean, look, Mark's a good quarterbacks coach.
Speaker 2: A bunch of love to go around.
Speaker 3: It goes back to keeping it real. This is the opportunity against a very good Packers team. Come into town where I want to win.
Speaker 1: You're legitimate win this.
Speaker 3: It changes the entire narrative of this season. It doesn't mean you're back in it, but you are now different. It's different. It feels different going to Philly. It feels different in the division, it feels different in the city. It feels different in this building. And I think this is an opportunity because I think it's gonna have to be the offense. I hope the defense plays better. I hope they clean things up. I hope they get up the field. I don't have a lot of confidence right now. That means offensively, Trevor. That line bigsby Brian Thomas Ingram and it starts with Trevor. This is the opportunity. Go take it to them and say, Hey, as an offense, we're putting this team on our back this week. We know we're playing against another good offense. We are gonna go score, We're gonna get into the thirties, and in the fourth quarter when we have the ball, we're gonna make the plays. Then it's gonna take the win. That's what we need to see this week, and that's what I.
Speaker 1: Hope we say this week and limit the bubble screens.
Speaker 2: For Pete's sake, only limit the bubble screens. All right, coming back, We're gonna do our fanatics fan questions right here. Unhappy Hour presented by mister Chubbies Wings.
Speaker 11: Elers a great school, a great great football, great coaches there, and I mean just the way that we worked there at lsu ME is that's what we pride ourselves on, just going out there and being the best that we can be each and every day and just putting the work in. We push each other just to be the best that we can be.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Happy Hour. If you're looking for the MVP of the truck game, you can check out the twenty twenty four Ford F one fifty test drive it at your local Ford dealer. It's a proud partner of the Jacksonville Jaguars. Now, welcome back into Happy Hour presented by mister Chubby's Wings and it's time for the fanatics fan questions. Jaguars fans, you can get up at fanatics dot com with all the latest drag styles. Shop now get today's special out for fanatics dot Com officially licensed everything just for Brian Thomas Junior talking a little bit about LSU wide receiver University Pete. Is Brian Thomas Junior the best wide receiver in this class?
Speaker 1: No, but he's close.
Speaker 5: His former teammate is the best wide receiver in this class.
Speaker 2: Could he be by the end of this year considering the quarterbacks?
Speaker 1: Could he be by the end of his career. Absolutely. I don't know if it'll happen this year, but he could be.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think let's let's delineate between the best receiver in the best numbers. I could see Brian Thomas Junior putting up better numbers than the Molik Neighbors because of the quarterback he's dealing with.
Speaker 1: But I think.
Speaker 3: Neighbors was hurt. But based on when both had been on the field, it'd be as much as I love Brian Thomas Jr. And I do think he has the potential to be one of the best receivers in the I mean really good receiver in this league and upper echelon, I think it would be unfair and we'd be forgetting what Neighbors did the first four weeks when he was healthy.
Speaker 5: Not only that Neighbors was a better receiver at LSU.
Speaker 1: He was and so like, here's the thing, better than Harrison. Yes, right now and he will be. Look when he came out. I one thing about Marvin Harrison that bothered me is there's no real suddenness to his game. Brian Thomas and elite neighbors have suddenness. It matters, you know, and and so donsay in Chicago. He doesn't have real suddenness either. That's the difference between Brian. I think Brian Thomas is going to be one of the best receivers in the NFL. I think he's a real, true alpha number one receiver.
Speaker 3: If Brian Thomas to do that, he needs to continue to work, and he should. He's a rookie, so I'm not true. He continues his route running routes and is in cleaning up and becoming even a better route runner. Like I saw something, And I don't know if you're gonna get to this question or not. So if I'm stealing your thunder, kaya forgive me.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you if we have it.
Speaker 3: The questions coming in is was is Brian Thomas Junior the second best receiver in the history of this franchise? And I'm like, did you forget about a guy named Keenan McCardell.
Speaker 2: I think you're going off potential and there, but I'm like, you don't.
Speaker 3: That's like, like Jimmy.
Speaker 1: Smith is fifteen receivers and yards and catches and catches and yards.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying that people like to get excited about things best drafted a receiver.
Speaker 3: Hold on time out. I don't like doing this to young players, and we do that too often here, Like everyone, pump your brakes. Brian Thomas Junior is a heck of a football player and is having a great rookie year and has all kinds of potential, has skill, a skill set that is rare. He can go get it, he can run by people, and he's good when the ball's in the air, no doubt about it. Like he is, he has a chance to be special. But please don't even put him in the same sentence as Jimmy Smith at this point. Jimmy Smith arguably should be in the Hall of Fame. If you go watch him, and if you go talk to any Hall of Fame corner who had to play against Jimmy Smith, they didn't want to lined up against him that day because that's how good Jimmy Smith was. And Keenamar Cardell was an absolute beast and one of the best receivers in an era. When you went across the middle, you took your life in your own hands. And he went across the middle and played the middle of the field as well as anybody. And as Pete said, is a top fifteen like all time, like yards or near there and so.
Speaker 1: But yeah, Tony, But to Cau's point, he will be the best drafted wide receiver in team history.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying that. I'm not sufted, so I'm not saying he's not.
Speaker 2: The bar, like he's so low on that I can jump in the.
Speaker 1: Purse of the position for so long. Remember it started with R. J. Sower.
Speaker 3: I get that, but bar, But here's what I don't like. We do this too often in this organization, too much pressure. The guy has played seven games, he is outstanding. Enjoy it, celebrated. What a great rookie year, what a great pick. I'm glad he's on our team. What a good job getting him late in the mid mid to late of the first round. Love every aspect of it. But don't start at like, don't start saying Jimmy Smith, Keenan McCardell, like no.
Speaker 1: No, does he have the tools?
Speaker 3: Yes, high percent. I love Brian Thomas jet It is so fun to watch him. I want us to throw deep to him like five times a game because he just runs by people and for somehow, some way, even when he's covered, he comes down with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But if he runs deep four or five times, that's four or five times. They can't run a bubble screen.
Speaker 3: Here we go. But you know what I'm saying, Let's celebrate what he's done so far, but let's not.
Speaker 2: Start all right, We'll pump the brakes, but.
Speaker 1: We do, Pete, do you see you see what I'm saying, Pete, I know exactly what you said. But in terms of being he has the ability to be into that class.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think it's exciting.
Speaker 1: Great As yesterday on one of our shows, I said, there are elite receivers in this league like Jamar Chase and Jefferson and those guys. If he continues to do what he what I think he can do, he could be in that class.
Speaker 3: He's like, he can has a chance to be special.
Speaker 1: Yes, indeed, no doubt about it.
Speaker 3: And I love it. I absolutely love it. And he is the best tracted receiver I've seen in this franchise. That's not saying, but but he's done it for seven games. Let's keep it going. I mean he is, and I do, and I think what Pete said, what a great job. Because he was the fourth receiver taking off the board, and there was talk should this team trade up to go get one of those top three guys which I was a top three which I was never for no chance know how would have done that. But when they made.
Speaker 5: The wide receivers to go, and he goes.
Speaker 3: And he goes, and he has his speak fast, he has a gear that most guys don't have. And right now, ironically, the two best young receivers of this class both played together last year. It's Malik Neighbors and Brian Thomas Junior.
Speaker 1: Both are with Jade Daniels, with Jane Daniels.
Speaker 3: How they how they lost the game? I have no They can't stop.
Speaker 5: That couldn't stop anybody.
Speaker 1: Even though they had the two defensive tackles that Jacksonville had, they couldn't stop anybody.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's unreal. So love it. Great seven game stretch, his yards per catch, the numbers he's putting up. Love it, every bit of it. I just don't like. I see questions like, is he better than Keenan marcrdell?
Speaker 1: No, not yet, Yes, cans that didn't have.
Speaker 3: Does he have a skill set that Keenan never had because Brian was born with it? Yes, was.
Speaker 1: Keenan was one of the best route runners in the NFL has ever seen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean Keenan. I don't know what he ran, but it was. It wasn't super fast, but somehow that dude got open and got behind guys and made catches and played the game like in a manner like. And I'm biased because Keenan McCardell is one of my favorite teammates I've ever played with. Because Keenan McCardell is the toughest football player I've ever played with. And he's a wide receiver. And I've never seen I've never seen someone practice as hard as Keith Marcadell. I've never seen someone study the game like Keenan McCardell. I've never seen someone who loved football like Keenan McCardell. And I've never seen a guy who would sacrifice everything for his team like Kean McCarthy.
Speaker 8: He was.
Speaker 3: This is a guy who played the week after getting a Grade three AC joint separation, was told to be out four to six weeks, played the next week. By the way, this is a guy in the playoffs that.
Speaker 5: Broke, guys that cover.
Speaker 1: Yes, one of my all time favorite guys that cover, and he needs to be in the ring of all.
Speaker 3: He should be. I love it. And he's a guy in a playoff game. Broke his wrist against the Patriots and was going to be out for obviously broken wrists like broke broke and said, I'm playing against the Jets next week. I'm like, there's no chance you're playing. Didn't practice all week non contact, He ran through the routes, put a cast on, and had like ten catches against the Jets in a playoff game with a cast. The dude was like an animal, an animal.
Speaker 1: And he should still be in the building, by the way.
Speaker 3: And by the way, one of the best receiver coaches in this league.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's what I mean. You should still be in the building.
Speaker 3: And I'm not taking anything away from Chad Hall. He's our coach. I'm glad he's here. He's a good football coach. I'm just saying, and I think now you can argue this that Brian Thomas Junior is the third best receiver in this You can argue that. You could argue that all day long, and I don't have a great argument against this.
Speaker 2: All Right, all right, we're keeping it positive. We beat a bad New England team. How much good can we take from this game moving forward, given who that opponent was. Tony, you talked about the offense getting going. What are some of the good things that you saw in.
Speaker 3: Your run game? You got the run game going. I think the offensive line is a group that's played starting with Houston and since then has played really good football, really good football, and his physical They ran the ball. I thought Walker Little was outstanding and and I like that they gave the ball to Tank Bigsby twenty six times. I think that is a recipe for success. Run the ball with Bigsby, play action pass, take your shots down the middle of the field. Trevor's playing good. It helps the line protect. You don't have to drop back as much. It takes the pressure off that line, especially against some good pass rushers. It wears defenses out and allows you to dictate the tempo and the pace and your will in the fourth quarter. That's how I think this team should play. And it does another thing that we needed to It keeps our defense on the sideline. They had long drives from the second quarter on except for the bomb to Brian Thomas Jr. And the putt return. Were the defense that to go right back out there. And the defense did better in the second in the last three quarters, but you look at the second half, that defense wasn't on the field very much because they ran it and they eight clock and a combination of controlling the clock, running the ball, play action, pass, big shots. You have a big play receiver and Brian Thomas Jr. That's the recipe in my opinion, of how you need to play because of all the things I said, And keeps your defense on the sideline. The defense is struggling right now to get off the field. And so the best way sometimes play good defenses is don't let the other offense on the field.
Speaker 1: Let's score points. There we go.
Speaker 3: Well, you got, I mean, you gotta score points. You got and you got you gotta make you gotta take seven not three?
Speaker 2: Yes, all right, running a little late today, so we're gonna head to break really quickly here on Jaguars presented by Chubbies Wings. But we'll be back to talk about Green Bay.
Speaker 6: Well, definitely, it was for us all just to continiously stay together as a unit like we know we can be in as a franchise in general, we needed that.
Speaker 2: For eleven years, Dreamfinders Homes has been proud to call themselves the official home builder of the Jacksonville Jaguars. Visit Dreamfinders' Homes dot com for all of the available inventory and go Jags. Welcome back to Happy Hour second hour, closing things out here on mister Chubby's Wings sponsored hour of Happy Hour, and listen the team. I know, I feel like we're saying this every single week. They absolutely needed that win last week, especially after the performance against the Bears and after this one, hoping to kind of roll that into a game against the Packers, who are a much better team where I think if you can get a win, that would actually change some things around here. Obviously, you're beating teams in the Colts and the Patriots that you hopefully should beat, but a win against the Packers would go a long way. Pete, when we're looking at a team like Green Bay coming in, what did you see from them last week and what are we going to see this week.
Speaker 5: Well, they got all over c J.
Speaker 1: Stroud. They limited him throwing the football, I mean, and they didn't play very well with the Texans. And look, we know they can score then we know the Texans can score points. But I think he threw under one hundred yards on Sunday and it wasn't just him.
Speaker 5: They don't have Nico Collins, so that changed the way they play him.
Speaker 1: But Green Bay is good. They're talented at a lot of spots, important spots, and like I said earlier, I think the pass rush has.
Speaker 5: Been a problem for him.
Speaker 1: But they're gonna score points on Jacksonville. So Jacksonville better be ready to go get points of their own. And Tony's right, it's going to be. It's gonna be a higher scoring game. And I think that's going it's gonna be the it needs to be the Trevor Lawrence thrown a round game where Thomas gets one hundred and twenty in a touch you know that kind of game. I think that's what it needs to be for Jacksonville.
Speaker 3: Well, here's the number, CJ show only twenty one attempts, eighty six yards, no touchdowns, no interception, sacked four four times. That means they dropped back twenty five times. I actually had five rushes, so they dropped back thirty times. But let me tell you the formula. Pete Joe Joe Mixon twenty five carries one hundred and fifteen yards a tank. Let's go, let's get tank going. They had thirty three rushers for one forty two four point three yards a carry. I think that's the formula. I'm not saying I agree that they.
Speaker 5: Need because they're not great against the run either.
Speaker 1: They're not.
Speaker 3: They need to take shots down the field, no doubt about it. But it needs to be set up by running the ball, play action, pass, run it. Keep that offense that Packers offense on the sideline. I think that if you do that.
Speaker 1: If you don't score points, you're gonna pay for it. I do. That's a theory to you. If you run the ball and control the clock and go get a field goal, they go get a touchdown seven to three, you go get your control.
Speaker 5: O'clock gets fourteen to six.
Speaker 3: You have to you have to make you have to score touchdowns. You can't kick field goals, so you have to be good in the red zone. Pete's exactly right. I just worry. I just worry about our defense because our defense hasn't done anything to me that gives you confidence that can get off the field.
Speaker 2: And it's the time of possession for me too. We've talked about this. Obviously. They're on the field so much that even if the offense is doing well, they're out of rhythm because it's been ten minutes since they had the football.
Speaker 3: Like literally in the first quarter Sunday, it was eleven and a half minutes to three and a half, nineteen plays the five place. I mean, the Jack said you can't, and I said it on the broadcast, you can. If you're an offensive player, you're sitting there on the sidelines. You get no rhythm. You're like getting cold, Like I gotta go warm up, I need a stretch again, Like get off the field.
Speaker 1: Well. And if you're a Green Bay, save your good play for the fourth, good place for fourth, five and six, because you know you'll be playing the backups by that.
Speaker 3: Here we go, Pete in the hockey lineup change.
Speaker 5: It just infuriates me.
Speaker 1: I just can't understand it, and I don't think I'm the only one I know.
Speaker 5: You've said it too, But does anybody else say it? Does log him and say it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they do. I just think you need your best players, especially when you're a struggling defense. You need your best players on the field. There's certain guys I wouldn't take off unless they're just gas gassed. Trayvon Walker, Josh heinz Allen. I wouldn't take Ventrel Miller off. He's he runs and hits, and I'm not saying he's great in coverage. But you know what, tell me.
Speaker 5: The line coverage once he learns at a drop.
Speaker 3: But Pete, here's the thing. Tell me the linebacker we have who's good in.
Speaker 1: Coverage, because Steven Lloyd's terrible in coverage.
Speaker 3: So put Ventrail out there. Get Eric Armistead every third down. Hey, you're playing three technique, or rush the passer or start him there. I'm not I'm actually ok Pete in base personnel. If you don't want to play Eric Armistead inside, like, make him a sub player. Sixty seventy percent of the players are in sub anyway, So put him out there and Nickel it's fine. I'm okay with that.
Speaker 1: Hamilton I would play the like Hamilton's good in the run game, he looked, you know, Tony the other day, he looked almost back to being what he was.
Speaker 3: I hope that's right, But you sign you signed Graziano. He's a serviceable guy in first and second down if you need to give those guys a blow.
Speaker 2: Can Mason Smith get back in the next year. We didn't see him suit up last game.
Speaker 3: It doesn't sound like. I mean, he's been inactive for two games, healthy and active this year at a seven. He hasn't popped on film. He's gonna have to go earn it. I don't know what's going on. I don't. I mean, there's a reason he's not out there. He's a second round pick. You need production out of him, and he's not giving you the production.
Speaker 5: The knock on him coming out of LSU was did he love it?
Speaker 1: I mean that was you know, he had the.
Speaker 5: Major knee injury early.
Speaker 1: And was on the way you know he has he has. I'm not kidding, and I love the kid, don't get me wrong. He was on my better than day. I thought he was gonna be his big time player or steal. I still do think he has the potential, but you can't if you.
Speaker 5: Don't love it. I don't care how much much potential you have.
Speaker 1: It's not going to work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's draft and develop. We're gonna have to develop that one for sure. We're keeping an eye on this throughout the week and kind of see if he's going to be active this week. But going into it, we know the Jags.
Speaker 5: You know what, guy, here's what would bother me if I were him?
Speaker 3: What's that.
Speaker 1: Your guy drafted behind you? Your former teammate was active and you weren't.
Speaker 3: How do you look on tape? And I think it's.
Speaker 1: It's okay, I mean, yeah, nothing great.
Speaker 2: They're just I think they're really I mean again with the switching. They're really committed with the moving everybody back and forth, because then they get Lacy up and Ota maywell every other.
Speaker 3: Maywe was not even active. I thought he they loved him.
Speaker 1: Lacey wasn't great on Sunday. I don't understand.
Speaker 2: They have a real infatuation with lady and they're going to keep rotating until someone kind of makes them stop.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, rotation hockey rotations, as Pete loves to.
Speaker 5: Said, over the wall, get over the ice, get on the ice. Too many men on the ice penalty.
Speaker 2: All right, we got predictions for this game coming up. I'm not locking anything, and I apologize for the double lock, but I don't want to hear what these fellows think will happen this week.
Speaker 3: I know Pete, like screen Bay, you know, I'm I picked the jags every week, you do, you know my confidence if I lock it. I'm not locking it, but I'm picking the jacks all right.
Speaker 1: But you know what if we put them on a log detector right now, that thing would go nuts, and picking picking Jackson it would go so they'd have to go get a new one.
Speaker 3: It would be Let's say, what's who playing Monday nights? And I haven't paying attention. I've been on games games. What's this two game Monday night thing?
Speaker 2: I can't like it, to be honest, I like it because then if one's bad, you can switch the other one.
Speaker 3: For both are good? Ky be positive?
Speaker 2: All right, Ravens Bucks, that could be very.
Speaker 3: Good, be a great game, and that's a great game that could be.
Speaker 5: That could be a high school Chargers Cardinals game.
Speaker 3: Charge Cardinals does not interest me. I'll be watching Ravens.
Speaker 5: It is the Chargers because the Chargers actually played. Remember then went to Denver and beat up the Broncos last week.
Speaker 2: All right, thirty seconds, give me your quick pick.
Speaker 3: I got Chargers will beat the Cardinals. They're more physical team. I think they win. I'm gonna go Bucks. I think the Beatos are sneak too. I think they get a win against the Ravens.
Speaker 2: All right, thanks, gentlemen, thank you for letting me sit in for JP Shadwick. He'll be back on Thursday. He'll be back next Monday. I appreciate you all, all, everybody behind the scenes, thanks for joining us on Happy Hour.