Speaker 1: Come on here, guys, and welcome to No Buffs, the ten thousandth podcast about the greatest television show ever made, Survivor.
Speaker 2: I'm j E.
Speaker 1: Skeets, rolling with three fellow tribe members. First up, he's got a beard like Rupert and he rips more lips than Ausie and I'm talking about fish lips. Okay, you're sick of We've got Trey Kirby. Hey, hey, yo, wait, got our super producer from No Dunks and more importantly, a super Survivor fan, JD. Hello, there he is, and look at this. This is pretty damn epic. We are ecstatic to welcome to the No Buffs tribe. The executive producer at Crooked Media cranking out the hits on Takeline all caps in his new pod X ray Vision.
Speaker 3: He loves Ethan.
Speaker 1: It is Jason conception on. What's up? Jason?
Speaker 2: It is a delight to be here.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, what were you actually showing us there for all the live stream?
Speaker 4: So this is a postcard that I got from the great and legendary Ethan Survivor looking handsome through three stages of his life.
Speaker 1: Beautiful.
Speaker 4: I got this because I bought a I bought a Survivor T shirt from his internet store, and then he was kind enough to send me two signed postcards. I didn't even ask for him, he just did it.
Speaker 2: What a nice guy. Wow?
Speaker 1: What as locks to love Ethan Beautiful? Oh my goodness. So look, I listed all the shows that you're knocking out of the park, Jason, but you still have time to do a Survivor podcast here with no buffs. And I want to point out right now everyone, this isn't just for the premiere episode here of no buffs. It's not like Jason is a guest. Jason is here all season long breaking down these episodes. My man, you must love Survivor.
Speaker 4: It it's just fun to talk about. It's like a vacation within a show for me. You know, if I'm looking at beaches, I'm looking at beautiful, it's ocean views. I'm looking at palm trees, I'm looking at bug bites. It's like I'm on vacation.
Speaker 1: Well would you go on Survivor?
Speaker 2: You know, it's funny you ask.
Speaker 4: I've thought about it, if I would have to, if the opportunity ever seriously presented itself.
Speaker 2: But I'm not going to go out of my way to try and be on it.
Speaker 4: Okay, I think i'd be Okay, I think i'd be decent, but I I would consider it.
Speaker 3: Okay, you would be a fan favorite, and I think people would recruit you. They're going to see this podcast say oh we can get Jason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you're going to be on Survivor. Well let's call it now season forty four or something like that. You're gonna be out there, and you better make me your loved one visit. I'll tell you that.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm gonna do.
Speaker 4: Well, this is my other bit that I have with my partner and my other Survivor friends, is when the loved one visits or the letter or whatever come out and everybody's like, God, I'm just gonna be like, yeah, it's up, yes, stone cold, I didn't see it, no hut, yeah, no, no good Yeah.
Speaker 1: Hey, all right, guys, let's get into this. So I'll let everybody know the schedule here for no buffs. Okay, every Wednesday night, Survivor is on. Everybody knows that if you're a Survivor fan, we will not be going live right after the show. We're gonna leave that to the Survivor experts. You gotta leave that to the know it all's there in uh In Rob and Stephen fish Back and all that. Rob has a podcast. We'll do our breakdowns TK the next day, you know, I know, Tray, you like a get like a couple hours to digest what we just saw, talk it over, maybe a little bit formulate your thoughts. So the plan is every Thursday is when we'll all jump on together around this time. Let's call it five thirty six o'clock Eastern time, three o'clock to thirty three o'clock on the on the West coast, and that's when we'll do it TK. Is that make sense to you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Now that it's in a podcast and an official podcast, we got to take it way more seriously. So we need those extra few hours skeets, Yeah, to watch it through a second time and really break down the indiacies of what may happen. I think I'm not going to be dipping into the Ponderosa breakdowns afterwards at this point. That's like a press conference after a game. We got to get all of the sicko stuff into this because if we're gonna blow it out, we got to blow it out. I mean this can serve as our audition tapes, our four audition tapes for trying to get onto the island by talking Stratton just entertaining the people out here.
Speaker 1: Oh, I like that, I know for this one, and we'll get into it with all the details of Survivor forty one, there's no more like tribal themes, right, there's no brain versus beauty versus or the hustlers versus heroes. There's none of that. They're just going with Survivor forty one. But who's to say it doesn't come back JD. And there's like a podcasters versus television hosts versus radio personalities. This might be our tribe, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I can't wait for that. That'd be awesome. I actually I kind of miss I'm gonna miss the subtitles. I have to say, Well, you're you're a fan.
Speaker 1: You're a fan of like Survivor thirty seven, David versus Gliath.
Speaker 2: You like I mean never actually no, really, because I go, oh, this is the cheesiest thing I've ever seen, right, like, this is this is But then I would always get into it, and then I always like the sort of the prison the Stanford Prison experiment thing that happened where it's like, oh, hey, I'm gen X and that's how we gen X do this, you know, Yes, And oh I'm a hustler because that's what you know, that's what I do. I'm a healer, so I healed, you know that kind of thing. So I liked the way people sort of pigeonholed themselves into whatever Jeff Probes decided they were going to be. Yeah, so I'm blue collar. That's how we do things, you.
Speaker 4: Know, I'm no collar whatever that means.
Speaker 3: Yeah, bangers, right, like David versus Goliath, great one. I thought Neils versus gen X, great one. Yeah, But then heroes hustlers, healers like, yeah, well he didn't mean I wouldn't think a healer would probably be a hero. You got a hustle to do it. But I don't know. Maybe make if you say we're never going back to a theme, nobody expects it, and then you can spring a great one.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's right.
Speaker 1: I think you're right. Maybe, uh, well we'll get into the entire cast. But maybe Survivor forty one is everybody's just forty one years old.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oldies.
Speaker 1: So Okay, guys, So here's what we're doing with No Buffs. We're dropping this first one here in the No Dunks YouTube feed, in the podcast feed, but we have set up, or we're in the process when it comes to Spotify of setting up a solely Survivor oriented No Buffs channel both on YouTube and Apple and Spotify wherever you listen to your podcast. So go seek that out No Buffs and that's where all the rest of these are going to go. But we had to start this one in the No Dunks feed. Okay, so we're talking all Survivor what forty one here the details of the players will make predictions, which we were talking about offline, is damn near impossible. Yeah, Jason, it's like, ah, I don't know, I'll go with him or her. We'll try and pick a first boot too, that's just as difficult. But before we get to the actual season and all the little twists we have for this one, I thought it would be fun to look at this. I mean, Trey, you already said it. This is like our you know, our real that we're sending in to Jeff Probes and the Survivor producers that we sort of go over why or how we became Survivor fans, maybe share some of our favorite seasons, players, moments and all that. So Jason, you get a started. I want, I want like it is a little resume, name, age, occupation, Describe yourself in three words, and then your biggest pet peeve before we talk about your Survivor past.
Speaker 4: Oh gosh, So my name is Jason's Deceepsione. I'm forty one Survivor forty one watching I started watching. I watched the original season because of all the buzz and everything. I got hooked onto it, and then I kind.
Speaker 2: Of fell away. I would say, after Pearl Islands, what was the Race War?
Speaker 4: I think it might have been Race Cook Islands maybe right Cook Islands.
Speaker 2: So I kind of like started to fade out.
Speaker 4: Was in and out at that time, got back in a big way, you know, around the day around Millennials versus gen X, David versus Glias, Second Chance era yep. And then I've just been back on the train and I think, and you know, honestly, it's one of the best binges that you can have.
Speaker 2: And during these.
Speaker 4: Quarantine days that we've had over the last year, I just have been going through them and just running down Survivor after Survivor after Survivor. I am watching heroes versus Healers versus hustlers right now, and it's fun. I just recently watched David's versus Glias.
Speaker 2: It's a great time.
Speaker 1: God, this guy is getting ready for the new season here. Okay, how would you again? How would you describe yourself? You're a Survivor contestant in three words? What's a little bio?
Speaker 4: I think that I am. I have a good social game and strong social game. I'm the I'm sewing chaos. I'm out here trying to like stir the pot to get people paranoid so hopefully I can continue to slip through.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, a little little finger like or something like that. Okay, And biggest pet peeve? What's it saying?
Speaker 4: Get biggest pet peeve on the people who are bossy?
Speaker 1: Okay, excellent. So with all that out of the way, who is your all time favorite Survivor player? Jason?
Speaker 2: Denise?
Speaker 4: I think it's Denise short number one shortest player to ever win Survivor at five foot even, which is huge. Actually, like has when you tell people that I think they're shocks. She has such a huge physically, she just has a huge presence. She's a big presence. One of my favorite tribal final speeches of all time when she came in and was just like, listen, I'm not gonna apologize for anything that I've done. I've betrayed some people here, have lied to some people here, but I'm not gonna apologize.
Speaker 2: It's like, I love you. That's the shit.
Speaker 4: She is just fantastic, played the game with generosity but also ruthlessness. Had I think you could argue one of the maybe the best single move in winners.
Speaker 2: At War.
Speaker 4: Getting the Queen out. I just one of my favorites. Everybody seems to love her. Plays with a joy and a thoughtfulness and not afraid to get down a dirty big fan all.
Speaker 1: Right, didn't see that coming, Denise, winner of Survivor Season twenty five the Philippines. That's when like her and Malcolm were like yes, sort of like a crazy one too that maybe a lot of people didn't see coming. Okay, favorite, This is awesome because you've been watching a lot of these recently favorite Survivor's season If you had to pick one, very difficult. I know they're all amazing, but.
Speaker 3: What would you think.
Speaker 4: I guess you know, Heroes Versus Villains for the for the kind of bridging of.
Speaker 2: Old school to new school, just.
Speaker 4: Like Gangbuster play legendary cast JT's letter. It's like, there's a million things that have I'm against you, Russell Sandra burning his hat.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's a.
Speaker 4: Great season and I think one of the great introductory seasons. If you have a person who you're in your life, you're like, I think you'd like this start with Heroes Versus Villain Season twe all.
Speaker 1: Right, and the final question, do you have a favorite Survivor moment? I mean it could be good or bad, So it could be a mistake, like what jumps out to you, like what's your what's like when you think Survivor, You're like, immediately your brain goes to like this, I mean.
Speaker 4: This is this is not this is not like an original one. But the Black Widows on Eric giving up the getting him to give up the immunity necklace. It it's unprecedented, It's never been repeated. It's like an impossible mission. The teamwork, it's like a heist movie, each playing their yea masterminded by the legendary soie and you can't.
Speaker 2: That is Survivor at its best.
Speaker 1: I rewatched that season. I guess sixteen, right, we're talking about here, not too long ago, And I remember in the time watching it, I was like, Ah, Eric, you idiot. He was stupid, fool, you know the Black widowber game got you. They got you and rewatching it, I felt so bad for they. Oh they got it broken.
Speaker 2: Ye you got him. I mean they got him.
Speaker 4: He was just too naive to understand what was happening with him.
Speaker 1: He was he was close. People think it's I mean, you see the lists that it's the They basically call it the dumbest move in Survivor history. Don't think it maybe is a little harsh, like if anything, it's like an incredible move by all the women coming together and like getting it off them. But yeah, do you is there what there is there something else that you would say is dumber Jason or is that sort of in the play for you?
Speaker 4: Oh, in terms of dumb, flat out like a dumb unforced error, jtuh sending the immunity necklace and writing the letter to Russell like based on that, he was so like his ingrained misogyny was so strong that he was had completely invented this, this idea that there was a women's alliance based off of the Black Widows and their incredible showing and of course parves uh and series like activity within that, but still like that was not a thing that was occurring.
Speaker 2: And so then he said that.
Speaker 4: He sent the immunion idol and the and the letter to Russell completely out of the blue. Absolutely dumb move, especially coming off of you know's yeah, and his his winning season was like pillar to post domination. Not a single vote cast for him, Like what that hurt his legacy?
Speaker 2: I'll say that was a legacy game. That was a legacy game for JT.
Speaker 1: Yeah for sure. All right, Trey, let's go to you again. Hit me with your well, your name, your age, and your occupation. Three things, uh, three words to describe yourself and then your biggest pet peeve.
Speaker 3: I'm Trey, I'm thirty seven, and I'm a podcaster. You think they would put podcaster on there?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 3: Social Media manager is kind of close to the podcaster. I don't know if they would allow photoshop Boy or meme Lord.
Speaker 1: On there, but I would love to get a really.
Speaker 3: Weird one I mean, people are gonna laugh at podcaster anyways. I do think, but I don't know. There's nothing has ever beaten Philip Shepherd, former federal agent, the punctuation. They're like, are you sure, buddy? That's great describing myself in three words applicable to some survivor chill, adaptable, and I want people to know me as the funny guy on the season. I don't want them because I'm gonna show up. I'm gonna look taller than probably most of the people out there, but I'm not really gonna be that big of a physical threat. I don't think I'll be able to help on the team challenges, maybe compete in the individual ones, but I don't want that to be the first thing people think when they see me. Oh, look that big guy. We gotta get him out because he's big. No, no, no, that guy's very silly. We should keep him around. That's what I wanted to say.
Speaker 1: Okay, I want to push back on the possibility of you not being chill, which you are ninety nine percent time. The times I've seen Trey Kirby upset and angry are when you're hungry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, you're hangry.
Speaker 1: So I'm a little concerned that you could be a little short with people out there. Once you get a little rumbling in the belly there, Trey.
Speaker 3: That is gonna be my downfall. No doubt. We'll be just an occasional you know, Day fourteen rage.
Speaker 1: Just look it up on the.
Speaker 3: Back side of the shelter, on the wrong side of the bamboo, and it's just not like what you didn't stir the rice. Now all the rice is burn. I'm gonna go take an angry dump out in the ocean. My biggest pet peeve survivor wise is puzzles. Brutal I would be puzzles, but my real pet.
Speaker 2: Peeve in Yeah, it might be a problem.
Speaker 3: I know. That's why. That's why I gotta be silly. Oh look at this funny guy can't even do the puzzles. You want a dumb dumb let's keep him around. Also, anytime an inanimate object doesn't work, like if I'm trying to fix something in the house and I can't fix it, I put a cat door on the wrong side of the door here recently supposed to be on the ground. You know where the cat.
Speaker 2: Is cut the top did Why did.
Speaker 3: I put a door whoops. You know, once you take the door off the hinges, who knows what said?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay, I got cha. You're living up to the silly guy right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, buddy. And the problem for that would be like building the shelter. I would want to be helpful, but if it's going poorly, I'm gonna look bad on day one, I have no doubt about it. That's my all time favorite Survivor player. Yep, going all the way back to season one, hasn't been topped. In my book, Greg talk about an all time silly guy. He invented the coconut phone. One of the great lines ever. They get back from some tribal console. They're all expecting to eat their last chicken that they have there, but a kemodo dragon or something got hold of it and it just comes up the.
Speaker 1: Beach raging who got it? Go goddamn chicken before it hatch, Like.
Speaker 3: Just great lines. He's having a fake wrestling match with the guy there. He became the first juror and survivor history had the first individual immunity win. When he was eliminated, he just started fake crying, which I thought was great even Jeff Popes laughed at him. Then it comes to final tribal console. Everybody's doing their big speech as Susan Hawk gives her legendary speech.
Speaker 2: Legendary.
Speaker 3: But Greg's question to Richard and Kelly was pick a number between one and ten. Richard was closer, so he voted for Richard, and when he got to the voting confessional of the Marker, it seemed to me like Greg just wanted to have fun, hang out in nature, and there happened to be a show going on, which is probably why he hasn't been back since season one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why.
Speaker 3: It was just messing around the whole time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's exactly what I You know, you heard the stories, maybe read Mark Burnett's Survivor book, which of course I bought and read, and it's like he was sort of like a nightmare in the sense like he knew it was a television show and he was like, I'm just gonna fuck around with all these people and not take it nearly seriously enough and all this. Yeah, I had the crazy video from his sister and then he sends a weird one back. He was just like basically weirding people out. The entire time, somebody else did eventually at one point, like who was it? Maybe Shane Powers invented like the BlackBerry where he was pretending to have a BlackBerry, which is no great update because back when in season one all phones did was call people, so eventually got an upgrade. But yeah, there have been other Greg like characters. I think Tyson is kind of like Greg, except for Tyson actually cares.
Speaker 3: About winning the game. Yeah, which actually is probably a smarter choice. You know, That's who I would want to play, like somebody who actually wants to try and win the game. But Greg, to me is still the most entertaining character that's been out there.
Speaker 1: It was he was legendary in that sense. Yeah, it's almost a shame he never got back, or maybe it's better that he never did and just had that one hit under there. Favorite Survivor's season then are you sticking with season one, which is like, wow, you watch that now and it's crazy different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would probably put a vote for Survivor Kagayan, which has the debut of a ton of awesome players Tony Wu, Cast Spencer, Tasha, Sarah Lesina. Even the NBA's Cliff Robinson was on this season, people generally hail this as one of the best All New People casts, and I think that's exactly right, because almost all of those players have come back and been pretty good on their subsequent seasons. Ended with a crazy take. You're talking about all time dumb moves. WU taking Tony to the finale would have won who would be a millionaire if he takes cast with him?
Speaker 1: But no him? Yep, yeah, yeah, it wasn't. His old thing was like I want to take the best too. It's like that classic like I want to beat the best and you're.
Speaker 2: Like, WHOA don't.
Speaker 1: It's so yeah, I want to beat.
Speaker 3: The absolute worst.
Speaker 4: I want to take I want to say the absolute I want to take the absolute weakest, starving person who can't make five or anything.
Speaker 2: I want to bring that person here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's true, it's true. And then final question, Trey, you know favorites, fiber moment or a mistake or whatever you want to pick.
Speaker 3: Well, Jason mentioned JT's letter to Russell, which is just so good and the resulting parvity, like reading it aloud with Russell is so funny. So I'll throw another quick vote for Adam Klein at Winners at war trying to tear off the podium. Yep, it seems awesome. You're like, they should definitely do that, they should put an idol there. Only they hadn't at this point. So the guys trying to tear a flur to lee off. Jeff is just egging him on, and eventually he gets into like to play the entire podium. He's like, Yeah, I just want to play this whole thing. Sure, that's not an idi either, see somebody. That's a great mistake and just very funny. At some point that will work, but the first time not working. Great stuff.
Speaker 1: I I I, okay, don't quote me on this, and like the real Survivor nerds out there will fact check me. I'm sure something like that I believe has happened in an international Survivor. I think so where there's been something at tribal council that you could like rip off or play or something like that. And maybe that's where Adam had gotten that idea. So you know, you're right, it's coming to the It's probably going to be in this season. If we're being notous, I could imagine we see something like that. Okay, great, JD my man, you know, name, age, occupation. Describe yourself in three words big s, pet peeve.
Speaker 2: Okay, my name is Jason Doyle. You can call me JD. I'm fifty years old. I'm up there with Rudy. I guess I'm all the one of the old guys on the tribe, and that's fine. I'm happy there. My occupation, I'm a retired DJ. Back in for one year. I DJ at a disco tech in Greece, and so now I'm retired from that. So that's what I would like my lower third to say. Also, Trey brought it up. I mean, podcaster is just it's like, what is that even? Like it's is that even a job like in my regular everyday life telling people I'm a podcast They people don't understand what I'm talking about. Still, describe myself in three words, I'm I'm quiet. I think that would be a huge detriment to my game early on, because you know, I'm a little I'm a little bit shy when you when I first meet people, especially in in that scenario. But I'm also cool, and by cool I mean chill. I'm actually chilled, yes, And also I'm ruthless. I will be the most ruthless in my confessionals especially, but I don't have any qualms about cutting people loose. I have no sympathy for people in general on any subject really, so I would. I would be absolutely savage out there. So yeah, I love it. And your biggest pet peeve complainers complain. Well, no matter how badly I'm suffering, if somebody is complaining about the exact thing that I'm suffering about, I'll be like, I just want to shut up, Like what are you like? You know, just take it easy, man. That's so yeah, complaining would be a big problem for me out there.
Speaker 1: Okay, hit us with your all time favorite Survivor player cool and then season and then moment.
Speaker 2: So so hard to pick one. I'm gonna say Poverty. But just because she's electrifying on on camera, her strategy, her her ruthless. She is also ruthless, which I admire very much, and I just love watching every time she's on. I mean this last time she was. She's mellowed out significantly in Winners at War, but still great to see her. And she's a legend of the game. So many though, Natalie Anderson is up there, and I love the the underdog Mike White's and the Cochranes as well. Those are the ones that I'm drawn to, But I gotta go Parvonting.
Speaker 1: Okay, does that make one that she was on? Be it Micronesia fans were the favorite ones?
Speaker 2: You won?
Speaker 1: I guess right, sixteen or is there something else that you'll yeah again?
Speaker 2: It's so so hard to choose one. I'm gonna go a little off the board. I'm going co wrong Brains, bron beauty, pound for a pound. I think I've found that to be the most entertaining season. We meet ty for the first time, we meet Aubrey for the first time, who is absolutely insufferable for the first half of this season, but then she has this massive transformation, which is the thing I love most about survivors, watching people's journey, right, like the most unlikely people, some will embrace where they are, embrace the game, get their shit together. And actually she made it to the end. As I remember in that season, Michelle and up winning, which was a huge shock to everybody. I think it was Aubrey, Tye and uh and Michelle in the end and people criticize that, but you know, when she came back, I looked at her through new eyes and and she's actually a badass, and I think that she totally deserved to win. Also, Scott Pollard was on that season. Yeah, yeah, and I loved the whole Uh when Tie he he betrays Jason, who's also a big burly guy, and Scott and then they have the biggest hissy fit I've seen on Survivor, and all they do is buck it up like they just went around sabotaging everything, which was so incredibly entertaining to me. And then finally, I believe that's a season where, uh, correct me if I'm wrong. It had the infamous challenge where three people go down all at once right from heatstroke? Is that is that I think Caleb gets he gets airlifted out of there. He was all right, thank goodness. But uh, it was just one of those seasons where it's just like so many holy shit moments and so many uh just just again pound for pound, a very very entry. I was entertained, so good.
Speaker 1: Great, Okay, And final question here the moment or mistake that that just sticks with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this this moment was a definite holy shit moment. It was not a good moment, but it just it popped into my mind as soon as I saw this question, and it's when Varner outs Zeke at tribal Council. Just because it was just one of those it just transcended the show. You know. It was just like, I can't believe he just did that. Also very surprised to hear that Zeke was a trans was trans men, and also that they kept it under wraps. There was no tease, there was no nothing leading up to it. It was just one of the was like they had. Uh, it was so shocking because usually they'll just a TV show will just pump the shit out of you won't believe what happens. And this this tribal Council, it just came out of nowhere and it was like, oh my god. And then the fallout was it just spilled into real life and it was just it actually was a watershed moment for the show, and I thought it was actually it ended up being very good for trans people, I think, and and and a lot of people learned a lot from it. Yeah, So it was just it was just a cool moment, a shocking moment, a holy shit moment, and uh, that's what part of what makes Survivor so great man.
Speaker 4: And also I was proud of the way that the cast reacted in that world because it was like, uh, I did not expect people to immediately come to Zeke's defense in the way that they did, and they did like without any kind of like hesitation, and that was really a heartwarming to see. And also I thought that was like an incrediblement. I thought Jeff handled that. That's why Jeff is a legend, because he like unpacked that entire moment and reflect allowed like reflected Varner's words back on him and allowed him to see hopefully like why that was really fucked up.
Speaker 2: He's like, do you not see what you're doing? Is like really, it's not good. It was what an amazing moment that was.
Speaker 1: It reminds me like when when you specifically get into playing Survivor and this whole idea and they've been saying it since season one, like where do you draw the line right? Like, like where is the line?
Speaker 2: Is there?
Speaker 1: None? Like you know, some people like like rap battles or beefs, people are like, no, you can say whatever you want. It's a beef. It's a battle. You're allowed to And people are like, no, you can't like, there are certain lines that you shouldn't cross and that's too much. And I feel like that also happens and so and of course that line is different for absolutely everybody, and I think that's what makes it a fascinating But that is a that's an iconic moment for sure, JD and what sort of fell out of that? All right, I'll finish it off here, guys, just quickly, well, actually not quickly. Am I J. E. Skeets Or am I Phil Elder on this?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I don't know, but.
Speaker 1: I am forty one, so that's great. I'm on Survivor forty one. Hopefully I'm gonna put podcast we've had. I remember was his name Kenny way back in the day, I want to say gabone, like season seventeen. He was like a video game player.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was like a professional.
Speaker 1: I remember the time going like what is that and thinking, oh, okay, that's sort of cool. So you know, maybe we'll inspire other podcasters by slapping a podcast on my lower third, So I'll go with it. Three words to describe myself organized empathetic, I think a very good one. I think on Survivor, I do have a decent ability to put myself in other people's shoes, I'd like to think at least, so I think that could help. And I'm gonna go funny. I'm gonna try and keep it like like Trey said my pet Peeve in real life, and it might translate to Survivor when they're all walking to tribal council slow walkers always, God, I hate getting behind slow walkers. I can't imagine walking in sand behind a slow walker. Oh my god, I never get the tribal council. Uh, all time favorite Survivor player. Somebody already slipped it in there. I'm going Tyson. I I'm torn between Tyson and Jeremy, who I also love as frival. Jeremy, I think Tyson is the perfect balance between uh playing you know, okay, when I play pick up basketball. Trey knows this because I play with him. I love a balance of let's have some fun and like get a run in and nobody needs to be a dick and stuff like that. But I also want it to be a little competitive, you know. I wanted to be like, Okay, we're not just like dicking around here, like let's actually like get at it. You know, if we're barking at each other a little bit. That's fine. I want that competitive juice, so a good balance. I think Tyson does in the game Survivor is doing both, Like he knows it's a game, he knows he's on TV. He's a funny guy. He's super sarcastic. But then you counter that with like the guy wants to win, and he'll do a lot of things to try and make that happen. So I love Tyson. I think Jeremy I think he's a little more serious, or at least how he's portrayed on the show. But I think he's just cool. I just like would like to be Jeremy's friend.
Speaker 3: I would like to be Tyson's friend on the island because he has cracked the code in being able to eat any time he wants to. He's like the only guy that's never hungry on an episode or on a season of Survivor, Like he was the Coconut bandits with Jervis, and they would just go hide out, drink half the cocaanuts, and then bring it to everybody else and they'd be like, oh, thanks for opening these cocaduts for us. Never no one's mentioning why are these all half empty? Never goes hungry, And then on Winters at War, he had like a peanut butter hideout the entire time all times, Like, yeah, I've been eating the peanut butter this entire time. I'm not gonna tell anybody else that's out here. Uh So, the fact that he's somehow on a show where like the main thing of surviving is you're going to be hungry, to figure out how to never be hungry is pretty impressive.
Speaker 1: It's a good skill to have out there on the island. My favorite Survivor's season, you guys have basically nailed them. I think it's I have three Heroes versus Villains is amazing with the Santra becoming the two time winner, Micronesia Fans versus Favorites with Parverdy sixteen and then kaya Ann with Brain's brown and Beauty Tony's first win. Those those are just awesome. They're iconic. But like, even the worst season of Survivor is better than ninety five percent of TV, Like I will I will fight anyone about that, Like, what's the worst season?
Speaker 3: I don't even know.
Speaker 1: They're all decent to me, they're all even the worst ones are good.
Speaker 4: Probably the brand Enhances season Blue Collar versus White Collar Snow Collar. M That season was I think a little rough. I reb Mike eats a Mike eats a scorpion episode one, and that's kind of like the coolest moment in the entire SyES.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, throws up. This is a bad idea, and Mike won, right, that was the one, Yeah have won.
Speaker 2: He was a clear winner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, that one is bad, but still it's better than most television.
Speaker 2: At least.
Speaker 1: I'm entertained. Weekend week go my favorite Survivor moment. I'm just like, I'm gonna go with a really weird one here because I know and we'll be doing it here on no bus, talking strategy, who's led lining with who, who's going to backstab? You know, idols and advantage advantages and all that. I love a good old challenge though, and I liked him when they were like ten plus hours long, and I'm talking about Survivor ten, tom Ian and Katie in Palal the Final Immunity Challenge, which which is really what I want to keep it for, Like who just wants it more? At that point, all they had to do was hold on to a booie that's bobbing around in the water. Last one left standing wins. Katie lasted for five hours.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it went.
Speaker 1: Another seven hours.
Speaker 2: Insane.
Speaker 1: So and Jeff Propes they said they practiced it and they thought it would go forty five minutes.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, Jeff was you know, Jeff was hot. He was like he's so mad at production after.
Speaker 1: That, I know, And this is the thing, like, I guess what was it David versus Christian?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 4: They Chris and Alex went for for six hours on the stand up thing.
Speaker 1: But those are generally super rare now, not because the survivor contestants are weak and just followed after forty five minutes, because survivors made a decision to like try and get rid of those, like yeah, super long immunity challenges where it's like just do you have it in you? How long can you literally stand or hold something up? Which I just love those, man, I love them at the end when it's hepped off at the end though he off. Well, that's what I think is also brilliant about those challenges. Though, cool, you can you can do that, you can really talk somebody out of them possibly winning it by just hopping down. I love those, so I'm.
Speaker 3: Not should go down as one of the dumbest moves staying on a pedestal for for twelve hours and then jumping off at the end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was god, Oh my god, it's gotta be Yeah, poor Ian, that's a that's sort of yeah. He's got a lot of Eric vibes to him. Actually when h yeah, yeah, but they were young, it makes sense. Okay, So there we are. We're all going on Survivor. Now, that's our little bio. We are going to get into Survivor forty one here, guys, trust me, I know we're running a little longer than we thought. We'll break down everything you need to know about this season and then get into the cast and make some predictions. But let's take a quick break. Hopefully it's a Pontiac aztech GD or maybe some fringles we're selling here. Let's find out. We'll see all right back with no buffs getting into Survivor forty one. Here. I thought about this during the break, Jason, I want to try and one up your Ethan postcard with this very sexy Jeff Probes. I know the light yes, got it lit here there it is my man, Jared Bobby. This I forgot, I had it. I was like, hey, Noura, where's that sexy Jeff Probes candle we have? She's like, it's in the spare bathroom. Like, okay, great place for it. Anyway, we have we have lit the candle there for Jeff. Okay, So guys, so Ribber forty one. Here's what we need to know, and I want to get your takes on some of it and we'll, you know, go around the horn here. First thing is we already sort of addressed it from off the top, but there's no more like the subtitle or the tribal theme, so you know, there is no David versus Goliath or Edge of Extinction or whatever. JD. We've got your sort of opinion on it. Jason, what do you think? Are you fine with this just the old number?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's try something new.
Speaker 4: I think it's time for It's a good natural stopping point for something fresh after taking a season off because of the pandemic, and so why not try something new and see where it goes? All new casts, no one returning, And it seems like it might be that way for a while, So why not just like, you know, freshen it up and see what works.
Speaker 2: I'm all for it, Trey.
Speaker 1: What do you think?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I saw that they were originally gonna call it Dawn of a New Era, which I think kind of speaks to what Jason is talking about. Like, we went through forty seasons. Everybody who was great basically has come back and played once, if not a second, additional time. So yeah, it's time to get some fresh blood in here and pile up a lot of it. Right Like, we're only gonna have you know, eighteen castaways or whatever now, so they're not gonna be able to bring him back right away. Let's go three or four seasons with all new casts, see who's actually gonna be a star, and then bring him back for an All Stars, because then you'll get excited to see the people that you haven't seen for such a long time. Maybe we'll be able to cross over with some of the first forty seasons, but I'm happy to see new people right now.
Speaker 1: Survivor forty one fresh Blood has a nice ring to It's pretty good. I'd watch that. Okay, here's the big one. JD will start with you your opinion on this shorter season. This is I think actually huge and I want to unpack this with you guys. Now, Survivor usually thirty nine days. I mean, we got the thirty nine days. You know X people. Let's say twenty people one survivor, you'll get the epic Jeff Probe shot. Not this time, JD. We got twenty six days. That's it. They're cramming this in here. I would add that apparently they're getting fewer supplies. They're going to keep these tribes smaller throughout the season. I've read too, meaning that the players have sort of nowhere to hide. But the twenty six days. Are you worried about this at all? Are you like, yeah, bring it on. I mean this should just like ramp things up. What do you think?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, my first my first thought was, oh, no, are there going to be less episodes because of the there's less time out there on the island. But I guess they could still do a full thirteen fourteen whatever they usually do, So there's that twenty six days is also when I think about it, if I'm going out on a beach for twenty six days with very little supplies, that is still a long time. I think these people are gonna suffer a lot while they're out there, and it just may make the game that much faster. It's more fast paced. I mean, I've said in the past before that the challenges kind of wash over me sometimes, you know, and you know, especially the reward challenges. I know that strategically who wins, and you know, you want immunity and all that, but the actual watching these things play out sometimes it's just like, okay, let's just let's just get to it. Very rarely am I on the edge of my sea going, oh my god, you know they won pizza great, you know, so you know so that that's right, That's where I am on it. So if there's less war challenge. I also the part of Survivor that I love the most is the scheming. It's after the challenges where everybody we see the shot of the snake and then we see everybody, you know, having their little discussions in the strategy and the chess starts. And that's what I like the chess game, the strategy. So hopefully, hopefully there's more of that. Usually in the past, when people are like they've got heat stroke or they're starving, I'm not that into watching people suffer like that, you know, like I don't like medical emergencies and stuff, So I'm hoping they don't make it too hard for them. But you do want it.
Speaker 1: To be hard. Does it like medical emergencies?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: Well, I've read not about being hard though anymore. I don't think it doesn't feel like to me that Survivor is about the surviving the elements aspect anymore. And I don't think that's just because they're down to twenty six days. It's like, you know, the first couple of seasons, they would have the big episode, you know, we bring out the mirror. Guess how much weight you lost? Look how little food you have. Now they're getting opportunities to have stuff to eat. They've got a whole bunch of rice. Apparently they're going to get less rice here. But it's definitely more about playing the game rather than actually surviving, which, like JD is saying, that's the most exciting part. The thing I would hope doesn't get lost is having those off days where nothing's happening. I feel like you could easily talk yourself into people plotting against you, you know, like when you have a lot of downtime, and you're getting bored, you're able to talk yourself into I had known these people for three weeks. There's no way I should trust that guy, even if you have, even if you were trusting them yesterday. So maybe they lose a little bit of a paranoia time cutting out these extra days, but maybe that's counteracted by the fact that you got to make moves one after another.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what do you think, Jason?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I kind of agree with everything that JD and Trey said. I think that on the one hand, the show really appears to have made a move away from like the grueling like you against competitors, against the outdoors aspect of it. And I think part of that is, like bug bites just look disgusting and tally and and I think the other part of that is it's just kind of better TV if people aren't starving and passing out because they don't have enough rice or what have you. That said, I I do like that if they are going to cut back on supplies, that these reward challenges would maybe matter a little bit more and be integrated into like the kind of flow of play I'm always a fan of, like the they hit a clue or an idol or something inside the competition.
Speaker 2: I love that shit.
Speaker 4: I love when someone's got to sneak around and figure out how to get it in the midst of everybody. So maybe more of that during the reward competitions would be really cool. But and I but a thing that Trey said then and I hadn't really thought about, and I agree with, is that downtime you really see and when you read interviews with former survivors, they really talk about you don't understand how bored you are all the time. And I really think that that is an important aspect of what happens. You're just there turning your wheels, thinking about who's talking to, who went where, what's going on, And that is such an important, like subtle engine of the texture of survivor.
Speaker 2: And I hope they.
Speaker 4: Find a way to keep that going because you know, watching the broadcast, you take it for granted how little information they have and how much downtime they have, right, And so I hope that that continues. But all in all, excited to see what happens. But there's no there's no way around cutting thirteen days off of the competition like this is going to be a drastic change, and I'm I can't even imagine how it might impact the game at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we know what the reason is? Is it? Are they I I've heard rumors that they tried to they were trying to squeeze three seasons into this one in this window of time. I don't know if that's true or not. Otherwise, is it COVID related or like, what is the thinking there? I'm I'm sure you guys don't know, but I'm just curious and asking out loud.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a good question. Could it even just be it's maybe easier to get some of these people that we want to come out for a little less time. I don't know, I'm just spitballing here. It's a good you're basically asking for four weeks at that point, and not obviously.
Speaker 4: It feels like it must it must be COVID related. You would think that it's something about their ability to to record multiple seasons and move them down the pipeline and probably a shortened window, and well, you know, like if it works, fine, yea work move.
Speaker 2: Away from it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's how I would approach this, like try it out and if you're happy with it and you got a great season, then yeah, go with twenty six again, like no one's gonna really care us as the viewers at home it like it shouldn't really matter because you're right, Jadi, we're still getting the same amount of episodes. It's just there's all that no downtime for the actual survivor contestants, which I agree with trade like maybe that's where some of the good stuff happens because they're in their brains, or even some silly moments I'm sure happened, but they're there doing production. Maybe they've just decided like, wow.
Speaker 2: They're just bored.
Speaker 1: This is like we're sort of wasting everybody's time. Like we could crank this up and accelerate this gameplay a little bit, so we'll see how it goes.
Speaker 3: Somebody had a calendar once upon a time, right, like a calendar that they were marking off, and once that came out, everybody was like, what how are the days on this possibly working? Because it didn't make sense when the episodes would actually air compared to when the challenges were I don't know if this is accurate, but Wikipedia says that the reason it's twenty six days is that there is a fourteen day quarantine that cut into their productions. Okay, okay, fourteen that's forty.
Speaker 1: Okay, interesting, makes sense. That does make some sense. This means, by the way, guys, let's just throw it in here now, we're not getting a loved one's visit, are we? They got to? Well, so what they got a quarantine? How would they even do that?
Speaker 2: I mean, right, it's your unemployed loved one. Yeah, well it's gonna it's gonna be a zoom meeting or something.
Speaker 1: Right, Like, we've done that before, way back in like the first couple of early seasons. I remember them doing that. Yeah, and they have what was that?
Speaker 4: What was I forget the name of the device that was supposed to be like some competitors BlackBerry, but they did it on one of those like palm elf or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm drawing a blank on what it was actually called. It was something like that. You're right, You're right for sure?
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then we had I remember like in Thailand, wasn't there the infamous they got videos from home and we saw Brian's wife was like showing off like their mansion and all their cars, and like I was like what I mean, he ends up winnings like it's didn't matter. But that was great. Okay, so we'll see, we'll see what they do with the love Onunes. Okay, this is big too, uh, And Jason, we'll start with your thoughts on this. This is from the CBS press release. Okay, quote for the first time host Jeff Propes will also take viewers inside the action.
Speaker 2: The game within a game.
Speaker 1: Addressing the audience directly throughout the season, even letting fans in on some twists before the players are made aware. So these are actually two different things. You joked about the game within the game. I think that's almost like a different thing where they're gonna like hide a bunch of puzzles in the season for kids to play at home, and like they can just become more survivor fans. But this thing about Jeff Propes breaking the fourth wall a little concerning if I'm being honest, But what's.
Speaker 4: Your honestly like a little concerning in the sense that we've got a shortened season. This, if I'm going to be completely like paranoid red flag about it, is smacks of we need to fill out, we need to pad out these episodes we're not getting enough. We've cut it down thirteen days, and we need content. Jeff, Can you just go direct to camera and talk to people? Now, maybe that's not the case, but I think it's on the table, and it is slightly concerning. Slightly concerning in the context of a shortened season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would add to that because of this accelerated gameplay. Is there any worry JD that Jeff Probes has to almost explain to us what the hell's going on because they need to fill in the blanks a little bit. And I don't like that if that's the case.
Speaker 2: I mean neither. I think that they have gotten really good at cutting away a lot of the fat, Like the last few seasons especially, it's just been a million miles an hour, you know, So I I now I'm worried Jason that. Yeah. The one thing that I want if he's going to do this, I want him to be in like a Hunger Games style control room, like Plutar Heavensby, you know, like, yeah, let's see what we're gonna do next, Shelter on fire like that.
Speaker 3: That's a good point, Like what is so confusing about Survivor that you could possibly need Jeff propes to explain it directly to you, because I mean even when they do this, like you know, uh, Kelly Wentworth right, was the first to get an idol at a challenge or something like that. And even then it's like she gets the clue she's reading about it, and then they kind of like flash forward to here's where it's gonna be. They light it up with a spot shadow and all that kind of stuff like that could be very confusing if you were just hearing somebody talk about it. Yeah, but they're explaining it with the show here. This is this to me is a little bit too much talk show Jeff. Like when that guy sits down on a log next to a competitor, I'm like, fast forward. I want to hear Jeff at tribal console and I want to hear him singing people at challenges. I don't need him breaking everything down.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It makes me think immediately of a was it Siree that got voted out even though she never got a vote because it was a bunch of like it was an idle armageddon, right, everybody's what.
Speaker 4: They call it, like idle train hashtag idle trainers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then and then correct me if I'm wrong. Propes literally comes on and does a breakdown of what the hell happened there, because it was in their defense, the mad confusing. It's like, what why is that? Why are we why is she gone? She didn't get a vote because of all these ties and stuff like that and all the idols? Will we get more of that? Because that was him explaining sort of this craziness that's happening, and that it was whiteboard. Yeah, he was like up a play and I actually liked it though that must have been that was a final that was the final episode, So that makes a little more sense. That's in front of a live studio audience and stuff like that. I think, if I remembering this correct that he was on stage there with the whiteboard breaking it down. But we'll see. I think it's I read this press release and it keeps saying like it's like Probes is gonna come on before a commercial break. I feel like and say, like, what do you think? You know, what do you think Joe's gonna do with that idol? Do you think he should play it or do you think he should not? We'll find out after the break. That's I don't know that's what I sort of think we might get, Jason, We'll see it a guess.
Speaker 4: Well, well, if it's that, that's relatively unobtrusive. But if it's like, man, we got to burn, we gotta fill time right now because we just don't have enough stuff, that's where I worry right right.
Speaker 1: As for the game within the game that Jason alluded to, I saw Mike Bloom, a fantastic Survivor writer and podcaster. He wrote quote each week will apparently feature a hidden Rebus puzzle in the episode that fans can spot and solve. Though it has no bearing on the game at hand, it allows fans and families who've been following the show for years to become players in their own right now, Okay, I get this is for the kids. Jeff Crows love the kids.
Speaker 2: He loves it for the kids.
Speaker 1: For the kids twelve years old, Are you.
Speaker 2: Twelve, are you twelve? Sixteen years old? You're watching right now at home with your parents.
Speaker 4: You love Survival, but you don't know how you're gonna be in it.
Speaker 2: We'll look up here. Wendell used to watch Survivor as.
Speaker 4: A kid, and now he's playing in the game.
Speaker 2: And you can do it too. Just ask your parents. If you can send us a table, we'll take a look at him inside, if you can be on Survival.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's almost like it's almost having to like do the little math like equation JD. To then win the prize and in this case, do this little Rebus puzzle while you're watching Survivor. And you got it right, Hey, we might get you on the show. Any concern JD. Well, I mean, hey, look, well, your your son's at least Jackson love Survivor.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah he does. And that's the first thing I thought of it, Like, Okay, we're gonna play this, We're gonna try it out, and uh hey I love an Easter egg in a show. And that's what it sort of reeks. It reeks to me, like, is just here's this hidden thing. It's just it's a little wink to the audience. It's a little game that you can play at home. I'm fine with it as long as it doesn't intrude or with anything else that's happening on screen. So I'm curious to see. I'm always in naysayer. It's like, ah, this is gonna this is gonna be stupid. But then the Survivor always sort of comes around and they do a pretty good job of of these kakamamy schemes that they come up with, So I'm hopeful. I'm hopeful, So we'll see.
Speaker 1: Okay, try any any thoughts on this the game within the game.
Speaker 3: I can't wait for these puzzles, just looking forward to spot in a renus.
Speaker 1: I mean you said the hope it's like an easter egg, like it's on the tree in the background, or it's like, oh, you gotta pause your your show to catch it. It ain't gonna be like that's gonna be blatant. It is gonna be like you're gonna be knocked over the head with it, because I mean it's also for kids, right, so it's like if the whole idea is for a kid, it's gonna be like, here's the puzzle, I assume, and we'll see, Hey, look we're gonna be doing it on no buffs regardless who's gonna figure out the puzzle fastest, So that'll at least give us some content, all right, final like sort of thing you need to know about this season. I probably bury the lead. If I'm being honest, I should have flipped these around. This is the first season of Survivor to be cast under CBS's new reality show casting mandate, which has resulted in a more racially diverse cast, and we will get to showing you the cast and again making our picks. This is awesome. This is just cool to see the photo of all the Survivor contestants, which Jadi, I think you have and you can throw up, but it is pretty cool. I assume everyone's going to agree to have more people of color, Jason, because there usually is like one, two or maybe three, and there is a lot more of this season.
Speaker 2: Survivor has been good.
Speaker 4: I think pretty uh, pretty solid with it over the last several seasons. But it's great to see. This is surely uh probably more of a Big Brother mandate than a Survivor mandate, but but I'm glad to see it, and it should make for some uh you know, satisfying viewing for the people at home who get to see themselves reflecting in a Survivor contestint The.
Speaker 1: Cast also, when you go through the breakdown, tray seems to tip slightly older than a typical season, only six people in their twenties and then we got three in their fifties. I also got a couple of people from Canada, which is nice. I think there's a there's two Canadians in the bunch.
Speaker 2: It's important, important representation, I think, thank.
Speaker 1: You, but Trey, Yeah, any thoughts on sort of first impressions, I guess of what they've casted here for surviving for you one.
Speaker 3: I love it. You got to have a mix of people, and you got to have a of ages, because it's so common that it's like, you know, all of the twenty year old bros show up and they're like, well, we're all twenty year old bros. We're together for the entirety here. Wait what if the women join up? Not an all girls alliance? Yucky? Yeah, so yeah, I'm totally for you know, there's more life experience to the people who are in their fifties. It's very funny to read the bios from the twenty year olds here who are very, very proud of what they accomplished in high school, and then the you know, the thirty five year olds are like, yeah, I'm a neurosurgeon. It's a little different than winning state in high school track. I mean, kudos to you, but being a neurosurgeon. You've accomplished some things and seen some things, and it just gives us a chance to see more sort of odd couple pairings, like nobody would have picked Malcolm and Denise to be one of the best twosomes in Survivor history, but once they finally started working together, they were a great pairing. Dominic and Wendell were a great parent, like, yeah, no doubt. It's like, you're gonna see these people finding like minded contestants out there that you wouldn't expect, and I think that's gonna be something that's gonna be fun to watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, JD.
Speaker 2: Anythink to add to this, Yeah, you guys summed it up perfectly. It's just great to see. It's great that there's going to be new types of people, new personalities, new new gameplay. I think we're gonna see out of this, so I'm yeah, I'm excited for it. The Kaslok's awesome.
Speaker 1: It does. It does when, especially when you start going through it. Are you a fan like JD of returning seasons, like returning player seasons like where we get the Legends coming back? Do you think they're they're generally better than new cast seasons or are you a fan of Like, no, come on, you gotta get sober forty one fresh blood in the mix. What do you think?
Speaker 2: I mean? I do love returning players for sure. I'm also one of these people where whenever Survivor, the season of Survivor ends, it's gone from my brain completely, you know, like that's right. I had to go back and look do some research for this. It's like, oh, yeah, that happened, Oh that guy, you know. And and when oh yeah, that woman comes back, it's just like it's just like she never left, you know. And then so I do enjoy that, But I also love a fresh a whole new fresh cast. Is this is just so refreshing, and especially after last season which I loved Winners at War, but this is just all brand new and we'll get into it. But all of these people are die hard Survivor freaks, like they just seem to know the game, most of them anyways. Yeah, so that's when they know the game and they know the history and they know this the strategies and what's worked before, what hasn't worked before. It just makes for much more entertaining strategic season, which I love.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, let's do it this. We have one more break to take, but let's get everybody's contestant that intrigues them the most. Okay, I'm not asking you who you think is gonna win. I'm not asking you who's gonna get booted first, who's gonna be the start of the season. I'll save those for after the break. But in the eighteen players we got here, Jason who And I don't know how much research you did, by the way, like, did you do.
Speaker 2: A deep dive? I mean I'm in a fantasy league.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, let me just say it's impossible.
Speaker 2: It's impossible.
Speaker 4: It's impossible to scout these folks in the same way that you would scout NBA players, NFL players, et cetera. But gosh, I okay, so not the person that I would like to win, or yeah, just.
Speaker 1: Like someone that jumped off the page to you or the video or whatever that you're like, oh, okay, that could be an interesting survivor character.
Speaker 4: You know you mentioned him. I'm gonna say David the neurosurgeon. He listed as his like comp Russell, which always concerns me when people, yeah, you know what I mean, because it's like, is Russell a legend. Sure, did Russell make multiple final travels? Yeah? Does Russell have a gaping hole in his game that speaks to what actually the game is a social game and that you don't try to play that aspect of it. Yes, So it's weird to me to be like, Oh, I love Russell. Is like one of the most incomplete players ever in Survivor history ever, Like if he could figure out how to build alliances, he'd win. So I'm gonna say I'm gonna go with David because I'm really fascinated when people say that they love Russell and they want to play like him, and I'm I'm interested to see what that looks like in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 1: Okay, what about you, JD who jumped off the screen or the page for you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm curious to see what happens with Jeanie Chen. She's okay, the Portland grocery clerk. And I believe that she said that her the only thing on her bucket list is to play and Survivor. She doesn't care about traveling the world or anything. She just wants to play Survivor. And and she just seems like all rainbows coming out of her eyes, you know, like she's so like a positive person, but I feel like when she gets out there, she might It's like the Mike Tyson. Everybody's got a plan until they get punched in the face, and I feel like that might happen to Geenie because I don't I mean, I don't know. It's just as you say, Jason, like it's so hard to tell. But I I'm hoping for an Aubrey's style journey for a Genie because you know, I think that it'll be overwhelming at first, but I think I'm hoping that she falls into a groove and I just I just loved her energy and the one minute thing that I watched her in. Yeah, so yeah, I'm curious to see how Genie does. I'm rooting for it for sure.
Speaker 1: That that could be. I mean, we've seen it multiple times. You said Aubrey, I would say Cochrane, David, like the they get out there.
Speaker 2: And like what am I doing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, even Suri, maybe even a little bit like what have I gotten myself into? And New York for sure, But then the story, as the story goes, they get a little more comfortable and they find their footing and they go pretty far and become Usually they become pretty iconic characters or a people at least that cheer for them. So, okay, Genie the forty six year old grocery clerk from Portland, Okay, Trey, what about you? Most intriguing is the question here.
Speaker 3: I've also got Genie very high on my list because her answer to what is a notable accomplishment you've had? Is I got the Hustle Award one year at basketball camp when I was fifteen years old. What an answer? As back, I was putting in work, I was taking charges, I was boxing out on the regular at fifteen. So yeah, I hope she does well. And I'm also excited to see Evy, who is the first non binary contestant on Survivor using they pronouns. If I'm not mistaken. They say that their pet peeve is straight up men, and after the way that some things have happened in Survivor recently, there are going to be some opportunities for them to speak out, so I think that will be certainly interesting. And they seem to be a pretty charismatic person in the first place, so I think Hebby's gonna do pretty well.
Speaker 1: All right, we're gonna take our final break. But when we come back, I mean, it's damn near impossible as we said, but we're gonna try and predict first boot, who becomes the real star basically meaning who's coming back for sure and who is the sole survivor of Survivor forty one. One more break, Let's get some pringles.
Speaker 3: JD.
Speaker 1: Okay, back with no buffs. Now, we're not gonna go through every single person here on the cast. That seems a little overboarder for being honest here, we're already running an hour ten in here, so we'll show you everybody if you're joining us on YouTube, so you have an idea. We got three tribes JD. You can chuck them up here. I'm probably gonna butcher how you say these tribe names. This one is the Luvu tribe. Hopefully I said that one. Oh, I love you, uh love to love to love you, love you, love you. The next one, I don't even know how to start by pronouncing it. It's ah ula, yeah, I guess yeah. And then and then we've got the Yase tribe. So they're Fijian words for flood, wave and lightning, respectively. So you've seen the people. There's eighteen people. I want you guys to somehow tell me who's gonna be the first boot of the season? All right, Wednesday nights the premiere Jason, Who's going home?
Speaker 2: Gosh?
Speaker 4: Okay, So when I was going through my Fantasy League picks, there's again there's not a lot to go on. But one of the things I did go on is that sweet spot is about twenty five to win the whole thing and stick around young.
Speaker 2: Younger people don't tend to do that well.
Speaker 4: Similarly, over fifty, they may stick around for a while, but they very rarely win. I'm going to say somebody young, and so I'm going to go with Gosh.
Speaker 2: It's really hard, you know why.
Speaker 1: It's so funny, how how difficult this is. We don't know which tribe is going to be.
Speaker 4: I'm going to go I'm gonna go with Xander, twenty one years old, off of nothing other than he is. He's a young guy, and maybe he'll rub people the wrong way and he'll be seen as a and see maybe seen as a physical threat. So let's get him out. I think that Xander from the Ya tribe.
Speaker 1: That's right, the long locks, right, there over on the left if you're joining us on YouTube. Okay, okay, so going with the young guy.
Speaker 2: And the Uh.
Speaker 1: I could see this tribe losing, I'll be honest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, keep it up, Keep it up, Janey. I've actually got somebody from this tribe as well.
Speaker 2: Right, and so you so who's next? What did you want from me?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: No, let's go. Let try. Uh, we'll do We'll do it one out of time for everybody. So, Trey, who do you got going to first? P Oh, Tiffany front middle?
Speaker 3: Sorry? Yeah, yeah, she said three words to describe myself funny, loving, loud, loud. And that's when I said, oh, you're gonna be the first one going home if you're Boston. People around my man Xander does not want to hear it. And I mean, once you put this picture up, I kind of agree this uh doesn't look like they might be competing in the most physical challenges. Who knows it always.
Speaker 1: Comes down to a puzzle, right from queens.
Speaker 4: So I feel like I know the loudness of which you speak, right, right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's a teacher, I believe, Yeah, is there right?
Speaker 3: That's right?
Speaker 1: Okay, we got a Xander and a Tiffany j D. Where are you going for this one? First boot?
Speaker 2: The Tiffany high on my list for the exact same reason. Trade Also the teacher thing with so many young people. I don't know if they're on her tribe, but young people in college they don't want to be bossed around by an elementary school teacher. I think she's elementary school. I'm not sure. But if you're loud and your teacher and your bossy. There's another guy I can't remember which one, who's a professor, who I think might be in trouble for the same reason, like I think his wife said, don't don't be yourself, you know, don't just don't explain things to people you know like. But second on my list, I believe. Let me see, on the Luvu tribe, it's Sydney Sidney Siegel. She is the from the left to the third in from the left, Okay, back there, reason being I heard her talking in her little blurb just when she referred to herself as sexy. I don't like that. You know, it may be true, but I don't like it, and that things come easy to me and my parents have given me such a huge opinion of myself, and I think that could be very problematic on a on a tribe, uh, you know, just because it's it'll just be annoying. That said, looking at this tribe, I don't think they're going to lose the first challenge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you got this is the tribe with the NFL player. Yeah, they're in Danny McCrae. But you never know, we don't know what what it is. You know a lot of the time, like I said, it ends in a puzzle and it's like whoever just pooches that. Uh, they'll be going to travel console. Okay, you got to go back to the Ya tribe for me. Guys. Yes, I'm not I'm not Pickensander and I'm not picking Tiffany. I think it's gonna be David the neurosurgeon. I think he as I assume a very intelligent guy, may not be the best people person and maybe getting a little bossy. Because here's the other thing, right, not only do you have to lose a challenge probably to to get there to them be voted out, but we're talking like from day one on Survivor, we're building. We're building our shelter where we got to get our things all in order, like, you know, who's in charge of this, and you get those bossy people that are really good in real life and in the profession, and they're you know, they they got to where they are for a reason. But that can backfire very easily on Survivor. So I just think I'm just you know, throwing a dart at the dartboard here and saying, David is is the first one out?
Speaker 2: Just looking at this fiction or trying to judge, trying to gauge the energy between David and Tiffany. I I want to say, there's there's some friction.
Speaker 4: There, you know, shades shades of another David, David Sampson, who is the Marlins that was the first booting Cabby on very similar dynamic. This extremely high achieving person, super smart, used to running an organization.
Speaker 2: Drive it with immediately first on the block, goodbye.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll see Okay.
Speaker 3: So a lot of somebodies say to him, it's not brain surgery, David. Yeah, we're just voting here.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, there's got to be an episode titled It's not brain surgery or you can book that.
Speaker 1: Okay. As we start to wrap this up, I'm just gonna jam these two together, so you can give me two names if you really want to. We're looking for the season star, Like, who do you think is gonna come out of this as like a fan favorite? And maybe that's also the winner. So if you only have an answer to the one of them, I mean, we need a winner, but you can also give me a season star, Jason, how about it.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna go for star. I'm gonna go with Erica Casupanan based on nothing other than Casupan's a Filipino, a very common name in the Philippines, and I think therefore I'm going to assume that she's Filipino, and therefore I'm pulling for her.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: She's from Toronto too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I liked her.
Speaker 4: I liked her little bio as well, and she seems like a charming and a high achieving, highly energetic person. For the winner, I'm gonna go with Richard Foy. He is the flight attendant thirty nine years old from Lyndwood, Washington, And I just feel like that profession means you're watching people all the time, You're catching vibes, You're seeing who's happy, who's unhappy, who's anxious, who needs something.
Speaker 2: You're used to being.
Speaker 4: In observation mode, and I think that's going to serve him very well, and so that listen again, it's so hard to know who's going to win from this stage, but I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: Pick Richard, Okay. I feel like he's going to give some banger confessionals too, Like you like, as a flight attendant, you can only imagine like they're incredible at like they're helping people, they're serving people, they're getting attitude from people, and then they go to the back or to the front of the plane, like can you believe that dickhead in sixteen with the big forehead and will stop sweat Like I don't know, I'm I'm I'm obviously uh stereotyping of flight attendant that they do that.
Speaker 2: But I just.
Speaker 1: Got a good vibe that he's gonna like drop angers in confessionals. I like that pick. But you're going for him as a winner, which is known for him to win. It's very very bold. Will throw him up here. I believe I have the right tread yep, oh I do, I do? Okay, great, Yeah, there is in the green tank top repping for looking like dominic Toretto there in the green tank top. To bring it back to that's Prue. Okay, uh JD. Let's go to you next as we take this down again, someone you're either cheering for and then who you think gonna win this thing?
Speaker 2: Okay, So I'm uh it's I'm cheering for both of these people. To show who I think is going to be a star. I don't even let me see here at the tribe. It's Sarah Wilson, who I believe is in the uh right, the left, first woman to the left.
Speaker 1: Okay, what we want to do a front rows.
Speaker 2: She is a long distance swimmer, and uh, you know, I'm partial to swimmers. I swimmer myself, and just you know, to be a long distance swimmer, you have to have endurance, you have to have some stamina also graduated mit. So I just have a good feeling about her. You know, she's young, but I think she's smart, and she just she's I think she's tougher than she looks. So I think she was is going to emerge as a star of this game and the winner of the game. I think it's on the She's on the same tribe. Yeah, Shan tell Smith right next to her, she is the Canadian pastor. She's just had a rough life basically, so I think she's tough as nails as well. She was in a gang apparently, so I think she is not to be try filled with uh and listening to her talk, I think she can read people, and I just think she's gonna be good. I don't. I think she's going all the way. And it's a total homer pick because you know she's She's Canadians, so I always want to pick somebody who I want to root for. But I'm I'm very very high on Ricard as well. Uh I. One of my best friends is a is a gay guy as well who worked as a flight attendant and skis you are one hundred percent right. Lots of hilarious confessionals I think coming our way when I'm really looking forward to that. But honestly, he's he seems so charming that I think he might be a threat, and I think he's not going to make it to the end. I think people are going to be wise to that.
Speaker 1: But we'll see, we'll see, we'll see. Look, hey, we need to say this. We haven't had a female winner since thirty four game showers Sarah. Yeah, we are on a crazy male run here with Ben Wendell. Show it to Wendell, our guy Nick Chris coming back from Edge of Extinction playing eight Hours Survivor and winning Tommy and then then and then Tony. Uh for a second time. That's six straight male winners, So Trey to do they make it seven? Or is a woman going to win this one?
Speaker 2: Here?
Speaker 3: I can't believe y'all took my two picks. I was gonna go with Ricard or Shan as my backup pick. So I think those ones are solid ones. If I'm giving a little variety here, let me toss a vote for Deshaun Radden on the Louvu Tribe, a twenty six year old medical student. He's coming in with his own nickname. He's gonna call himself Devious d Rad, which I don't know if that's gonna go over well, uh, the Devious d Rad. But you can tell he's ready to play, and that's exciting. So at the very least he's got to be trying hard. If I were going for a straight up winter pick, gimme Rickard.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 3: I love a prematurely graying man with a Ponytail bat and I think Ebby's gonna take home that sea of money at the end of things. Than that's my family.
Speaker 2: Is that a thing? Is that an official thing? Did she do that every time?
Speaker 1: I think she's got a good run going. They used to do it on the show, and I know they stopped, like announced a year and a half away.
Speaker 3: She's gonna skip this one, no chance.
Speaker 2: Come on, no chance.
Speaker 4: There is honestly one of the craziest and weirdest and most fun things in TV histories. That see is just like I like this show a lot. I'm going to give somebody money everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like.
Speaker 1: Like that's it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it seemed like it was going to be a one time thing, right because I think it was. Tye was the first one, and yeah, apparently does a lot of work with animals, and Tye was obviously had a relationship with Mark the Chicken.
Speaker 4: Save Some Lives, Save Some Animal Lives season.
Speaker 3: No, but see us like it was good one time, and it's gonna be good every single time from here on out. Sometimes she even gives money to more than one contestant, right, Yeah, she's splitting before messing around.
Speaker 1: Okay, my winner or I think will be a star. I guess sort of go hand in hand. I'll pick him as my winner. I mean, it's impossible. I hear you, Jason. You said like a young young person doesn't generally win this game. That's true, But we got three twenty year olds here. I'm going with Jerryus Robinson, who is a twenty year old college student from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. I believe he is on the the UA tribe there, he's in the middle there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I in watching his videos, great energy, seems like just a really fun guy to be around, and I think that will keep him around.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: He looks like he could be a physical threat, so maybe that backfires on him as the as the show goes on. But I'm gonna be I'm gonna be cheering for him. I just great smile too, just lights up the camera there and in any of his little talking videos that we saw heading into this. So go go to Robinson, go get it done.
Speaker 3: Twenty has also been wearing Puka shells and a lot of his promo shops.
Speaker 1: I like this guy.
Speaker 3: This guy's running for the island, goes.
Speaker 2: By JD too, So he's gotta be cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh wow, he doesn't go by JD apparently. Yeah, okay, there you go. Oh my god, we' we cheered for a JD here on Survivor forty one. All right, there it is, guys, let's call it there. Well, hold on, okay, Jason, you said you were in a Survivor pool already. But but what I need to know now is, yes, are we gonna I mean, we got to do something here on No Buffs. Maybe we just uh maybe offline, we'll we'll pick a I think we pick a man and a woman each, Okay, and then or or you know, if he's in play, of course, we pick two people. Let's just make it two people. Yeah, we don't need to pick a man. We pick two people. Like it longest combined tenure for your two people, you know, win something or everybody else has to chip in, give money to charity or something like that. All right, Okay, so we're doing something. We'll figure it off offline. We'll keep you guys longer than we need to love it. Very excited for this reminder, we're pushing you guys to subscribe to No Buffs, the new YouTube channel and the new podcast feed. Just search for No Buffs on Apple and we're working on Spotify. It'll hopefully be there soon. It's already up there on YouTube, so go subscribe if you're a Survivor fan and you want to be following No Bus all season long. Here. As I said, Jason is going to be with us every single episode. In fact, Jason's gonna be with us more episodes than Trey and I.
Speaker 2: Because oh my god, that is the key. That is a weird thing that happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'll peel back the curtain. Tray and I, along with our wives and a couple of their friends, we booked a trip to an island. By the way. We're doing our own Survivor here months ago and it's finally coming up here. Before of course, we knew the Survivor schedule, so we're gonna miss episode one break down, the recount. It's okay, it's in good. Are we or are we watch it on vacation? Buddy, Well, we might watch it. I don't know how we're gonna call in. I don't think that's to be happening. But anyway, we got Jason, we got JD. I think Task is actually gonna gonna fill in.
Speaker 2: You know, Testy will definitely be joining us. So that seems pretty pumped about it too, so so look forward to that.
Speaker 1: Jason, Okay, that's great. So that'll be coming out on Thursday again around five thirty pm Eastern time two thirty Pacific. We'll be waiting a day or the next day after at premieres there on Wednesday night Survivor. So that's what's happening. Email or tweet at us any screen grabs, observations, questions, you have no dunks inc By way of Twitter. It's probably just the easiest way to do it, but if you want to email them in no dunks at the Athletic dot com. And again we'll be back here well, Jason, JD and task will be back on Thursday afternoon. We'll get it up as soon as humanly possible, will of course be live on YouTube. I can't wait, guys. I'm super pumped about this. I was just geeking out for the last ninety minutes talking about old Survivor seasons and then this Survivor forty one with you guys, so I'm super excited. I'll end with this. I saw Probes say this to again Mike Bloom their Parade magazine. He says quote, this is Jeff Probes. I'll say it right now. If you have never watched an episode of Survivor, just watch the premiere of Survivor forty one, and if you don't get hooked, blast me on Twitter for wasting your time.
Speaker 2: Bold, bold stuff, incredible.
Speaker 1: So now is a good time to get in. Make sure you subscribe to No Buss. Guys, have a great show on Thursday, and we'll see you a week following that. The tribe is spoken