Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 3: Cowboys. This He's Talking Cowboys Straining live from the Dallas Cowboys World Head Course at the Star in Frisco.
Speaker 4: Six second past ten twenty Today the Texdown and.
Speaker 5: Now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez, and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 3: It's a Talking Tuesday edition of Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, live from the Star in Frisco, Texas, in the s WBC studio. Do what Patrick Nocy Walker is doing. Punch in the phone line eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven. We're answering your questions. We're talking to Cowboys Nation as early as the first set meant today. We're gonna get into it quickly here eight five five two two nine seven blood line rules. Let's do it. There you go, Patrick Nocy Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Chris Beam in the back of Kyle Yeoman's Glad you're with us here on this Talking Cowboys Tuesday. Gentlemen, how we doing today?
Speaker 1: Doing a little bit better? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Have you you got some sleep last night? Which is good?
Speaker 1: Got some sleep.
Speaker 3: That's first checkbox, right, the remaining.
Speaker 5: Check boxes or for the Cowboys to do so, I mean I did my part, I got some rest, right, and now we see if the Cowboys can finally turn a page over these past several weeks and do something in Atlanta. But before they go to Atlanta and do anything, they've really got to finish only what happened, uh in San Francisco, especially the third quarter. So I'm interested to hear, not not even interested. I can't wait to hear what fans of talking Cowboys and listeners and viewers call in and have to say, say it with your chest today?
Speaker 3: What would you like the fan question to be today? I was mulling over a couple of different ones.
Speaker 1: You know what, go ahead, I want to hear yours.
Speaker 6: No, I mean, considering what they're going through right now, we're going through the same thing. Absolutely, we're expecting a lot more from this team. I would say, at least what's the barometer?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 6: What do you want to see for the rest of the year. What is your crystal ball telling you for the rest of.
Speaker 3: This maybe like how have your expectations change?
Speaker 1: I like that, Yes, go with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what was yours going to be.
Speaker 5: I'm it wasn't as good as what about well, I mean it was going to because it segues off of what we talked about yesterday, and it was another iteration of me talking about how confusing it is to not see Dak Prescott use his legs. And then we hear Jerry Jones talking one O five three the fan this morning, and Jerry literally said he would prefer not to see Dak take off and run. So I was going to ask fans which side of that fence? So you on, are you more on the takeoff and run deck and get and you know, try to get as many hours as you can to help this team win because they need every possible positive that can get.
Speaker 3: I'll give them both questions. Yeah, or on the Jerry Jones side to say, hey, it's just not worth it.
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 3: And that's the thing in continuing with news and notes and Jerry being on the fan just a couple moments ago, but that was one of the number one takeaways I had was he basically said, even through like a Crackley phone line and phone call, he said, I don't have it in big white letters at the Star in Frisco, but I don't necessarily want him running the football.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he doesn't like it.
Speaker 5: I mean he said it in a lot of words, but lots of them all right, But the bottom line of what he was saying was that because of the risk, he doesn't feel like it's worth seeing Dak Prescott use his legs. And I am on the other side of that, because this is a game of risk. And like I said here and told Isaiah outside of the irs he'll be back after showing out on Good Morning Football, I told him there's as much, if not more risk for Dak Prescott to sit in the pocket right now because of the pressure that he's under and the drest that he's under as his offensive line struggles to consistently block pass rushers and defensive lines. So if we're talking risk, what's the what's what carries the most risk right now? Because your on line isn't blocking consistently, so standing being a statue in the pocket might get you killed.
Speaker 6: Yeah, one hundred percent. I politefully disagree with mister Jones, and I feel like, you know, you have to take the chances that you're afforded. Uh, when the offensive line is not blocking for You're right, if you stand back there, you're gonna get hurt either way. You're gonna take the hit either way. You're getting hit a lot more than you're used to, at least if you're Dak Prescott this season. Uh, and look at what brock Party did. Brock Party was able to gain some yards in the ground, and I don't think he really necessarily took a lot of hits in that. In that scenarreo, he's running out of bounds, he's running safely.
Speaker 1: He's sliding.
Speaker 6: He's sliding, you know, and you know, granted, I get it. You know you slide more than a few times there any game. Those reps are gonna they're gonna haunt you basically the more you do it. But pick up the yards where you can, man Like, you can't be relying on these third and ten throws down the field because those are obviously not connecting. You need to give your offense a better chance at third down.
Speaker 3: If I had confidence in the wide receiver room and the tight end room to build some separation and to be consistent in that regard, I think I'd be okay with Dak staying in the pocket, because I get it. Of course, I think I'd be fine with him stepping in there, even with the muddiness and the offensive line. His pocket presence is part of his strengths as a as a pro quarterback. He can maneuver through pressure. And it's the fact that whenever he maneuvers through pressure and then he looks downfield and there's nobody open, that's when I have a problem. Get out of there. Don't they sit there or try something else? Yeah, so I do. I think a lot of it is predicated on the success of your wide receivers. Now, in the San Francisco game, going back and watching the tape, there were only a couple of opportunities for Dak to run. There's one glaring opportunity where he probably could have picked up eight nine yards ten second. That one was significant, But other than that, I thought he basically stuck with Ceedee Lamb made sure his number one target could get open and build some separation, which he did most of the time, and then other than that, it was forcing it into tight windows.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we even talk about how good of a game CD has. CD he was incredible, But uh, in that same regard, the other receivers were not getting open and he's just not taking those opportunities, which is, you know, it's not something we're used to seeing from Dak Prescott.
Speaker 3: I think another thing that was declined. Obviously, Absolutely, it's a special game.
Speaker 6: And they were talking about on the break yesterday his traits coming out of Mississippi State, where the fact that he was a dual threat quarterback. Absolutely, and he could he could run over some people. You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: He was a dog. He was a dog.
Speaker 5: Mississippi State. That is, that is the phrase we used, Mississippi State deck.
Speaker 1: Where is he going? Have you seen him?
Speaker 3: Have you seen him?
Speaker 1: I mean, bring him back, bring him back, bring him back, bring him back.
Speaker 3: I thought you were going to say something else. It had too much of like a rhythm to bring him back. I'm back, Yeah, I'll bring him back.
Speaker 1: Tis and going to Atlanta this weekend.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 5: There getting them out, Bring them out Mississippi dhach, where are you all right to win?
Speaker 1: When he's running?
Speaker 8: Now you? Where are you? Oh?
Speaker 1: I'm so sorry?
Speaker 9: The uh?
Speaker 3: I love the's that's like my childhood the uh. Other talking points from Jerry Jones on one of five three of the fan I thought Bobby Belt asked a great question regarding the I don't want to call it a sub committee, but it kind of is underneath Jerry Jones in terms of the front office and how those guys are responsible for the good and bad decisions that they make. How are they held responsible? And I thought he was kind of looking at it as Dallas hasn't necessarily hit well in each of their last two drafts. They're still the jury's out on a lot of those guys still, But to this point, I think from across the board you would say it's underwhelming from the twenty twenty three and twenty four draft classes so far. I thought maybe Bobby was alluding to and maybe probing into the front office, and instead Jerry Jones said, I put Mike McCarthy here for that reason. I put Mike McCarthy here because he has a significant role and I want him to have a say head coaches in the Cowboys organization. It's a common misnumber that they don't have say when it comes to roster building. They absolutely have a ton of say in this building, and Mike McCarthy's another reason for that. And I thought it was just interesting the way he answered that question.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and especially when you have the skins on the wall like Mike McCarthy has during the Bill Parcells era. Bill Parcells and and like you said, it is a misnomer that let me put it this way, at one point in time in the in the chronology of Jerry Jones's ownership of this team, there was an iron fist that rule this team, and that was you know, connected to Jerry Jones's forum. But in recent seasons it's much more of a Knight's of the roundtable, which is what I call it, where there's much more of a consultation with Stephen Jones and Will McLay and just those guys around him, Mike McCarthy, the head coach and whoever else might be in that echelon that has they have Jerry's ear, and that tends to lead to things like roster decisions. Proof positive being did the Cowboys care about the safety position before dan Quinn got here?
Speaker 1: Absolutely no, they did.
Speaker 5: Not, right, you know, they really really addressed the defensive line position before sat back in them dan Quinn because that's my just myth. But then when you see some of the moves that they made with in training camp with Mike Zimmer still wait, for those two more or less pan out. But the moves were made they care about. So I mean it's no longer an iron fist situation as it was in the nineties, you know. And you look at the split between Jimmy and Jerry and how that went. Now it's much more of a consultation. But because Jerry is the figurehead of it all, he's going to get all the criticism but none of the praise when it comes to the fan base. When they hit on the draft pick, and deservedly so, Will McLay will get the praise. When they missed on the draft pick, Jerry Jones gets the criticize. So I mean that's just how the fan base kind of goes.
Speaker 3: Of course.
Speaker 6: I mean, if you look at to look no further than the draft, it's a war room. That's the brain trust of the Dallas Cowboys currently. Is that war room of executives and Will McClay that are able to build this roster. And if you don't think that the coaches have any say in the personnel, look at the turnover on defense when Mike Zimmer came in to the picture, and look at the linebacker room last year compared to this year. So obviously it's there. It's just it's different now.
Speaker 5: It is, and I think people misunderstand just how much of a decision making authority from a personnel standpoint Stephen Jones has in this equation as well. So people are so accustomed to, well, if the Cowboys sign this free agent or don't sign this free agent, it's all on Jerry. Well, the book does stop at Jerry, but the book may not always make it to Jerry in the capacity of if if Stephen Jones believes wholeheartedly that we need to sign this guy or we don't need to sign this guy, and he sells Jerry on that, then then it's sold, right. I think it's becoming more and more rare words the situation where Stephen Jones may have a stance here and Jerry just feels so strongly about this individual like an Ezekiel Elliott. For you, Sam Williams is the most Sam Williams is another one the most recent or in the recent past, like a Randy Gregory, whereas like Jerry feels so much about this particular guy. But I think that era more or less started to get behind us in the with the divorce from Dez Bryant, right, I think that if you look.
Speaker 3: Well, even before that, Johnny Manziel to pick that that was another.
Speaker 5: Very perfect example of the roundtable just convincing Jerry saying that he don't do this, Please don't do this. And then with the Dead's situation, it was likely Jerry wanted Dead to remain in the Knights, where like, you know, we got to move on from that now. Of course, that ended up biting him in the rear over the next several weeks of that only season, and then they had to trade for Mark. But if we're simply talking about the decision making process, it's it's not what it was in the nineties. There are a handful of advisors Steven will Mike, etc.
Speaker 1: The contract team, you know, Adamman.
Speaker 5: And so I mean there's a lot of decisions, a lot of decision makers that sit at that table.
Speaker 3: Well, And that's kind of what I think Bobby was alluding to in the fact that it's not just Jerry anymore, it's not just Jerry as the iron fist, And how does the responsibility fall outside of Jerry Jones?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 3: Who is held responsible when things don't go right? And he said that's where he brought up Mike McCarthy specifically, but he said, that's that's part of it is you are going to be held responsible, especially within these walls, even if it's not in front of the media, even if it's not in terms of an employment standpoint, you will be held responsible if you're the one that's putting these ideas on the table and they don't necessarily work out before we take our first phone call. Any points from Jerry that you'd like to hear.
Speaker 5: That was a great takeaway from Bobby's question. So good job there, and yeah, no, as far as the deck thing, I really am interested. They see what the fans answers to that are going to be as well as Josh, who has a great question. As far as you know, Crystal Ball, coupleys fans think what are going to happen from here on out?
Speaker 6: Yeah, what is your crystal Ball telling you?
Speaker 3: Let's talk about it with one of our good friends. We've met him before now Cold Cold T Shirts is what I should call him because the T shirts that we were on Friday, he's the one that made those T shirts. Cold You are on talking cowboys? What's going on?
Speaker 1: Buddy?
Speaker 3: Cold you there?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Out here, buddy, what's going on? Man? Yeah, you know, uh, nothing much. I'd ask you all how y'all are doing, but I feel like I know how you're doing professionally, so I hope you're doing well personally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's it's definitely been a struggle. But we're going to ask you a couple of questions here. The first, this one is how have your expectations changed for this Cowboys team now that you've kind of gotten to this three and four mark and your eight weeks end of the season.
Speaker 11: You know, it's not looking good so far. From me personally, I feel we're getting away from a lot of things that are taught to you, you know, when you first start playing football and you know, moving up into the professionals. And that's my big thing is I feel like on every layer of the football team, we're getting away from our fundamentals. And that's a big problem with me, Like it's a glaring issue every week I see, you know, tackling tackling. To me, when I was taught football, I was taught get low, drive through with your shoulder and wrap up, and I'm seeing so many guys just shoulder tackle and then oops, you get stiff armed away and now you're tackling with your back and the running back bounces off and runs up for another five ten yards.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: But yeah, well we can't get that fixed.
Speaker 11: We're not gonna, you know, be any better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, along those same lines, I mean, Jerry talked about communication on the offense. That's a fundamental. You've got tackling on the defense, both sides struggling with some of the bare bones. Now, one last question before we let you go, Dak Prescott, would you like him to run or would you like him to kind of keep as a pocket passer With the importance that he has to this football team.
Speaker 11: At this point in the season, I don't care if Dak becomes the leading rusher on the football team, get yards, get points.
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 6: Cole.
Speaker 3: That's a real football man right there.
Speaker 9: I like it.
Speaker 1: As always, Cole.
Speaker 3: Appreciate the call, Appreciate the love. As always. We'll talk to you down the line before we take our first break. Let's check in with Nebby in Nebbie, Maryland, or maybe Nebbee.
Speaker 1: On the line.
Speaker 3: Nebby, what do you think about these expectations? Have they check going into the Week nine part of the season.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 10: First of all, guys, thanks for taking my call, and also thank you so much for the happy birthday wishes. I really appreciate it. And Kyle, I just want to say that, as much as I hate to admit it, I am with you, my man, because I am hitting the panic button. And quite honestly, Mike McCarthy won a Super Bowl in his fifth year in Green Bay, and obviously I was hoping history would repeat itself in that regard, but now I believe, and I just want to day before I go uh that I'm about to make a bold prediction, and that is that uh uh uh uh uh yeah, uh.
Speaker 7: Uh uh uh.
Speaker 10: Ben Johnson, uh uh this next upcoming off season will be uhh the new head coach beautiful of the Dallas Boys. Take care, Thanks for being patient with me, and have a great week. Bye.
Speaker 3: Thanks appreciation that. As always, you could tell he was nervous to even put out the bold predictions, but he did. He said it with his chests. What the show is all about. Here's the thing, and maybe is one year older, one year bold. He's one year bolder.
Speaker 7: I like it.
Speaker 3: Nebby does a great job of dissecting this football team. I really think he does. He knows what's going on. He's able to really take into account the whole scheme of it all. And it's funny that he's like, I hate to be on your side, Kyle, but I'm pressing the panic button. When he brought up the twenty ten Packers, when he brought up the fifth year of Mike McCarthy and Green Bay, I was just curious what their record was going into their eighth game. They were three and three and then one in Week seven, so they were four and three. It's not like they were necessarily lighting the world on fire. Remember, they kind of snuck into the playoffs. They snuck in at ten and six, and then when they got hot in the playoffs, they took down Filly, Atlanta, Chicago, and then of course beat the Steelers at AT and T Stadium. So it's not like the season is over. But what is happening right now, and this was my point yesterday, what is happening right now cannot continue? Correct, That's the problem, because I guarantee you and I'd have to go back further. I wasn't necessarily following the Packers in twenty ten in Week seven, but I'd have to go back and look, and I'm sure there were changes made whenever it was three and three, four and three and they were trying to find their way back into contention. That's where I'm at with this football team. You got to do something different totally.
Speaker 6: But I guess my apprehension here is that you don't see anything about this team that says, you know, December January football.
Speaker 3: There's nothing that gives me confidence.
Speaker 6: There's no identifying characteristic of that there.
Speaker 3: Even there, you had Aaron Rodgers as a young Aaron Rodgers that was playing lights out. He was an MVP caliber at that point in time, even at UH in that early point of his career. I we haven't seen MVP level Dak Prescott yet. Win was second and MVP voting last year.
Speaker 6: But this is not the Only thing you can really hang your head on right now is the kicking game. And that's not good.
Speaker 1: It's not going to win.
Speaker 3: That alone is good super Bowl and if it does, then give my give brands to the keys to the building.
Speaker 5: He's gonna hold out all the rubles. But no, I mean, I think the more troubling thing is it's no, the season is not over. It's not over. You're three and four. You know you can try your best to go on a run here. It's not going to be easy. We talked about it now great detail yesterday. You are really up against it these next several games going up and through Thanksgiving. But the more troubling thing is it's, like Cole said, and like we've talked about, and like players have talked about, and like coaches have talked about, it's that air fort, no, the other airport, gentlemen, fundamental fundamentals. We're still we're still talking fundamentals going into week nine, and and that's troubling. So you're still talking fundamentals, and then you look at the gauntlet of teams. You have to get your fundamentals in line in order to have a chance at defeating Those two things aren't working well together.
Speaker 1: So can it happen? Yeah, absolutely it can happen.
Speaker 5: But being optimistic in this moment about it happening based on what we've seen to this point, I just I don't know how you can put how you can make that happen for yourself, right, It's about just being realistic and realistically speaking, the Cowboys need to show why we need to reinsert optimism into the picture.
Speaker 3: Here's here's go for it.
Speaker 6: I was gonna say, if you looked at the defense in the first half of last game, I feel like there were signs of life there. There were signs of life of a run defense. There were signs of the life runs. Yeah, exactly. But the longer you went into the game, obviously, the third quarter was just abysmal on all fronts. It's just like there are signs of life there at times, but it never holds.
Speaker 1: There's a post.
Speaker 5: But when you go into a game and when we when you exit a game and you end up looking at it and you say, well, always give up. How many yards rushing? Oh well, Christian McCaffrey had a day. Oh no, he didn't play. Okay, well, Jordan Mason was playing well coming in, so it makes sense that he Oh no, it wasn't Jordan Mason, it was.
Speaker 1: It was the rookie.
Speaker 5: It was scored an NFL touchdown out of Louisville who had himself a date. So more rushing count, yes, but you would not expect that the running back three would be able to come in and perform more or less like running back one would have performed.
Speaker 3: If running back three here, which I guess would either be Deuce Vaughan or Cook. However, yeah, however you want to throw it out there, they would have had a day like Isaac Garrindo. This fan base might explode like with happiness like I I like it.
Speaker 5: It's just a completely different They were hoping that Delvin Cook would have that day against the San Francisco forty nine ers, but I mean his his in game numbers didn't look any differently than Rico Dawdles did the previous week.
Speaker 6: No, are you going to say our our Rico game where we danced about it was ninety yards rushing. I think had ninety five. Yeah, it's like, yeah, we did get excited for a game similar to that, right, Yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Talk about being realistic. I think realistically over the next four games Atlanta, Philadelphia, Houston, and Washington, Dallas needs two wins out of that to keep their hopes alive. In my opinion, you got to go two and two, which puts you one game below five hundred going into the Thanksgiving matchup against the New York Giants. Assumingly so, they looked bad last night again against Pittsburgh, but assumingly. So you win that game against them on Thanksgiving, you're back at six and six, and then it's a race to the finish with Cincinnati, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Philadelphia, and Washington. We're looking way down the line. But in order to even give yourself a shot at Thanksgiving, you got to win two games that you probably shouldn't win against Atlanta, Philadelphia, Houston.
Speaker 5: You know what, Washington, although obviously I would like them to win every single one of these games, sign me up for what you just said, I mean worst if that's the worst case scenario. See, I'm totally fine.
Speaker 3: I'm looking at it as that's the best case scenario. Well from a realistic standpoint, I'm looking at it as best.
Speaker 1: Care worst cases.
Speaker 5: The season is over at Thanksgiving, correct, So yeah, that's so let's compromise. I'll take your compromise there and two wins. If you could just get us two wins, and then you go and you beat up on the Giants to get back at five hundred. Because you made an excellent point. Right now, we're not seeing December and January football, but it's because we're still in October and hopefully if we can get if the Cowboys can get to five hundred when it really starts to matter back end of November going into December, because we have seen that this team in Dark Prescott, Dak Prescott really plays well in November.
Speaker 1: He just really does.
Speaker 5: And in recent history the Cowboys in Dark Prescott, they've played well in December as well. They kind of turned that narrative. I remember the Tony Romo years where the Cowboys struggled so often to get on any type of run in December. And then right on the back end of Romos before he got injured, he kind of turned that narrative and Dak came in and he kind of was playing December ball hot December ball. So just don't don't go into December at like three and seven. Yeah, yeah, because then you're in more trouble than you signed up for. But if you can go in December at five hundred, so you're saying there's a chief.
Speaker 6: You're saying it's Derek Simber. Let's go.
Speaker 3: Hey, November starts on Friday. Let's get it right now. Let's try and figure it out here in these next four games, all right, give us a call eight at eight eight, five, five, two, two nine seven we're taking more phone calls when we come back with more of a Talking Tuesday on this edition of Talking Cowboys. If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roasters yourself some Black Rifle Coffee Today. Tod thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah.
Speaker 4: Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five g. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 12: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 3: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans could get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy w lifball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 13: If you shout how about them cowboys? You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet, Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious, ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 6: The wins will be even taste here. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 3: To Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys. This portion of the show is brought to you by Quaker Oats, the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Quaker Oats trusted since eighteen seventy seven. Welcome back into Talking Cowboys alongside Josh Rodriguez, my man Patrick Noci Walker. We've got Chris Beam.
Speaker 1: In the back.
Speaker 3: So, uh, we talked about this initially. I wanted to remind you of the Black Rifle, Coffee Rise and Grind that's coming up. I'm trying to get the email to load and my internet is not connected down each is unfortunate. Okay, so you're having the same problem. We're going to come back to it in the third segment then, because I want to make sure and give you the right info. Apparently there are still some spots available apps. You need to sign up because this is a cool, once in a lifetime opportunity. Also, not to mention, Isaiah is talking about getting involved.
Speaker 1: Let's go, Isaiah.
Speaker 6: So it's called dallascow Was Rising Grind presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company. It is a private workout for US veterans and active duty led by Tim Kennedy of the Dalls Cowboys headquarters here at the Dallas Collys Headquarters that starn Frisco. It is going to be out in the Tostitios Championship.
Speaker 1: Plasa do it.
Speaker 6: Bang maybe Friday November eighth, six forty five. Sign up at Dallascowboys dot com slash b r CC Rise and Grind.
Speaker 3: Nice. There you go. Okay, thank you very much. I'm glad you had that up. I built the page that works. Yeah, my internet is not working currently. We'll try and get that back up. But while we do, let's go to Oklahoma City. Gavin, you're on Talking Cowboys. What's going on? Gavin?
Speaker 8: Hey, fellas, how's going pretty good?
Speaker 3: How have your expectations changed for this football team now going into week nine?
Speaker 8: My expectations are the same for the team. I feel like I feel like the team has the star power to do what they need to do. And I think when you look at this team, the inconsistency lies in the coaching. I truly believe that. I think that the play calling has been bad on both sides. You have Centahn makeing adjustments at halftime, and you got the defense coming out and based the whole game.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 8: I understand what lack of personnel and stuff like that, but it's offense too. It's starting five and we're handing Hunter Lifty the ball.
Speaker 9: You know what I mean.
Speaker 8: This isn't just one game. Even the game, I feel like the play calling hasn't been great, And yeah, this team has just been rooted in disappointment so far.
Speaker 3: I like how there was still some optimism there though, because you said your expectations haven't changed and the players still are available for you to have success with. Do you feel like they can turn it around at with what they have currently working in their favor.
Speaker 8: I believe the offense will change it around. Where I have a little pessimism is the defense. One we get these reinforcements coming in, the Zimmer's gonna have to find a different way to utilize Mike. Teams are going to continue to do the same thing they did when they were both here.
Speaker 6: It's just let me ask you something. What gives you the confidence that the offense is going to turn it around.
Speaker 8: So far this season, I just think McCarthy has a history of eventually getting things right. I'm not saying he will, and I'm personally a believer. If this continues to go, we might have to have the tough conversation about changing over the play calling DUSS. But at this point, I think it's too early to do that because really, who is on the councher on the Cowboys coaching staff that's going to be able to do a better job than Mike McCarthy. It's really nobody. But uh yeah that I'll let you guys go y'all Dog Cowboys podcast. For me, I look at y'all every day and tell Isaiah to stop being all successful and stuff I need to bring out.
Speaker 1: Trust me.
Speaker 3: We'll try and get him right back here. Yeah, and he'll right back in the seat before we know it. That Thanks Gavin, Appreciate the love, appreciate the support and the call. As always, let's go to Gerald and port Allen, Louisiana. Down in the port Allen side of things. Gerald, you're on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, doing good morning?
Speaker 3: How you doing good morning? How are you.
Speaker 7: Man doing good?
Speaker 9: I love the show they're glad to be on and uh, I just I feel like I can push the I'm pushing the panic button because we've just I don't know. The defenses is there's a whole lot different than it was, you know, previous years. And I know we were say we reverted back to like the the Mike Nolan era and stuff like that, but it just seemed like they don't know how to play, how to tackle, or how to do the fundamental things of you know, just playing defense anymore. The offense, I'm not sure what's going on because it's the same pieces, the same offensive scheme. Dak has to do better on his throws and when when he gets pressed, and sometimes he presses too early in the situation in my opinion. But we have to you know, establish the run better. You know, if we get the line, if we get the offensive line together, get the defensive line together, that's that's usually the start. I always hear uh Late Newton talking about it. I feel the same way. But as far as like stopping the run, I'm starting to believe that it's like a cultural organizational issue because the culture is not showing us that we can stop the run. We haven't been able to stop the running years, and then I don't know if we're getting the right correct pieces in place to be able to stop the run. And it just seemed like they're not tackling it. You know, I don't know, I don't understand what we got going on.
Speaker 3: Appreciate the call, appreciate the the inside as always, Gerald, and we'll talk about that here for a moment. Patrick. I think, whenever it comes to he talked about the Mike Nolan era, we're going back. It's funny I skipped yea, I skipped right over the Mike Nolan era, and I went back to Rod Marinelli era, where there was bad tackling. You can't stop the run, you didn't control the line, turn image, turnovers were just non existent. Yeah, there were, there were a lot of things, and Mike Nolan's defense was just downright terrible. And I don't think they have the talent on that defense yet. There was a young it was a rookie, Trayvon Diggs. It was a rookie. They were young, they were beat up. It just wasn't good. In twenty twenty, I think, if I'm looking at what I've seen from the Cowboys, defense through the first seven games. I'm looking at it and saying, this is Rod Marinelli two point zero.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's fair. And I think a lot of people gave credit to dan Quinn obviously for the job that he did in changing the trajectory of the defense and getting turnovers and playing really playmaker like defense. But to my opinion now it certainly like Youso obviously can't give him credit for the run defense because that was also an issue when dan Quinn was here. It wasn't that great. Like you could always you could always point to the Cowboys and be like, well, just run the ball, just run the ball, and you won't like, they won't be able to stop you. There's nothing they can do about it. So as much as we're giving Mike Zimmer hell for the way that the defense has played so far this year, you have to look back at that those teams too, and run the run defense was on an issue. Yeah, you just don't have the the takeaways anymore, which is a problem.
Speaker 5: Well, and he makes an excellent point and shouts out to him for making this point, and he got my wheels turning because the fact that this has been and I'm speaking of the run defense, the fact that this has been one of the achilles heels of this Cowboys defense for several seasons now, over the span of several defensive coordinators. Well, then you say to yourself, Okay, that means that while the each respective coordinator is accountable for their own defense and accountable for not getting those guys able to stop the run. Now it starts to become the personnel question, right, so you start to wonder, well, what was the personnel under Marinelli, what was the personnel under Mike Nolan, which the personnel under Dan Quinn, and now under Mike Zimmer And now we're having these personnel questions, which means we're going back to free agency and the draft. So now we're on that side of the conversation, that side of the roundtable where it's just like, okay, well, Mazzie Smith, he was a first round pick, was used on Mozzie Smith with the hopes that he would be that. Okay, he still developed into that, and he's still having his ebbs and flows and more downs and ups right now. But you know, he just needs to be consistent. There's that word again, consistency versus inconsistency. Right, you throw some money at Linval Joseph to get him here, But what is that enough?
Speaker 1: Was that enough?
Speaker 5: Go back a few years and there were free agents that came up, and you could talk about the Endominancus of the world and things like that, and I'm not saying they should have should not have gotten those guys, but what if we can play the what if game here where it's just like if personnel decisions were slightly different in free agency and attacking the nose tackle on the defensive line position outside of OsO Diggi Zuel, which I still love to death and just keep Osa in the building and just just do it. But now that it becomes the personnel question. So if you're saying things like the run defense at a higher level seems to be an organizational concern, I don't disagree there. And then the question becomes, well, what is that mean? It means maybe the person knel and how those groupings are put together on the roster sheet year after year, maybe that approach needs to change. Maybe be a player earlier in free agency at defensive tackle, and that's how that can kind of trickle down in a positive way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, great points all the way around, and I think it's interesting. Even off of those those two calls, you had Gavin in Oklahoma City saying that he has faith that the offense will turn it around, that the defense is not going to play well. And then you had Gerald who's saying he has faith that the defense can figure something out with a play calling switch and the offense is what's the problem. And he's talking about Dak Prescott on that. It's all these different perspectives of how this thing is intertwined. When we come back, we've got two more calls we're gonna get to. We got Sean and Hot Springs, Arkansas and RDJ from New Jersey coming up on the other side of the break hold tight. We've got more talking Tuesday coming up. Right after this, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheat of Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repell but he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour.
Speaker 4: But the good news is Todd has at and T five g. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G Fast Reliable, Secure.
Speaker 12: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for U fifty deals. They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 14: Hey, y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already year enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramp and cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yetie Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on Yeti dot com. Check it out today. Yeti Official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys and we're going to overtime Erica how much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 15: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial Assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com slash Erica by your side. Bank of America, Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses me very digital tools featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the Englis language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored for quality assurance. Message data, RAS and additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 3: To Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys. This segment has brought to you by and visil Line, the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys. Welcome back in everybody here on a Talking Tuesday. Patrick no C. Walker Josh Rodriguez, Chris Beaman, the back of Kyle Almos. Let's go to Sean in Hot Springs, Arkansas, and Sean, by the way, I love Hot Springs. It's one of my favorite spots in Arkansas for sure. A great great spot you're on talking cowboy because yeah, it does have good water too.
Speaker 7: What's going on?
Speaker 10: Guys?
Speaker 1: Hey there, Sean?
Speaker 7: Why do you want to give you all flowers? Real quick? Y'all are the best show on the lineup. I listen every morning. I drive a truck, and y'all make my time go by the day a little bit smoother. I just want to say, thank y'all.
Speaker 1: I love it. Driver, give us a give us a y'all.
Speaker 3: Y'all you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Like driving right now, it's a question for you driver. You're pulling a reefer? You drive van? You uh, you're pulling a flat What are you doing?
Speaker 7: I drive a flat for acne?
Speaker 1: Break listen? You are you? Listen?
Speaker 5: Shouts out to all my drivers out there. But the ones who drive flat beds, they are a different breed. Okay, So absolutely, Sean, you are the man. Act me break official the Dallas Cowboys, watch out.
Speaker 14: Coming for you.
Speaker 5: I want to give you some more roses, though that depends on how you answer this question. Please tell me you're begging gears and you're not in the auto man.
Speaker 7: They took they took it from from I'm automatic man. Though it's not the same he said, it's not my fate.
Speaker 1: I will allow that they took it from him the shop.
Speaker 7: Well, Sean, they're playing, they're playing with bloodline.
Speaker 1: Sean.
Speaker 3: We appreciate you as always, but uh, how have your expectations changed for this football team now that we're going into week nine?
Speaker 7: Really they haven't changed a whole lot because with the little bid that was done in the off season and uh, the throw of schedule that we've had coming into it. I can we're we're I kind of acted us to be. So I'll tell you what. I had a big cup of hopium this morning, and I know they're gonna get it. Uh they don't get it. They gonna get it. They're gonna figure it out. And I know where the solutions are.
Speaker 1: Where are the solutions in the science. There's always a hater in the bunch. What what do you say?
Speaker 8: Science?
Speaker 3: I went a little bit of the hopium too. I need I need it this morning. I haven't had my coffee yet. That would be great to just have a nice cup of hopium. What's in the science?
Speaker 12: What?
Speaker 3: What are we getting it done?
Speaker 7: They're gonna get it done. We're gonna start getting healthy on the defensive side. And you know, after week one, after the game, a couple of players said that they haven't even bit into the schemes that they have built up for this defense. So once they start getting healthy and we get the Ron Bland back Micah DeMarcus Lawrence to seal up the run and the pass rush, I think that's gonna that's gonna get us good. And I tell you what, I got us going three out of four out of the next Oh.
Speaker 3: I would be all for that nine. That would be fantastic.
Speaker 7: You want to tell you, once we come, once we come out of it, once we come into Thanksgiving, they gonna say cowboy haters acknowledge me.
Speaker 1: Oh TCT I like it.
Speaker 10: I do.
Speaker 14: I like it.
Speaker 3: I this is what I want out of this season. Yesterday when I was pressing the panic button and then by the way, I'm still doing it today, I don't want that to happen. I want this to be a football team that I can I can cover and be proud about and talk about and have some hope. So I appreciate it. Sean.
Speaker 2: The optimism is significant. I can feel it radiating in the studio here. Even more so it would radiate even louder if you could give us one more tug of that that horn real quick, give.
Speaker 1: Them the air horn.
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, let's go.
Speaker 1: I feel like Kyle.
Speaker 7: Before it's all said and done, you're going to trade in that panic button for one of those old states.
Speaker 3: But I love it, man, I love it. Sean, You're a real hero. Appreciate you as always. Stay save out on the roads.
Speaker 1: We'll talk to you.
Speaker 3: Get down the line. There he goes it all.
Speaker 6: I feel like I feel like Batista, dude, like walking out got you know what I mean? Like I'm ready for it.
Speaker 5: I feel like Batista, but in a different way. I'm looking at the Cowboys and chounce that he won three wins, So I'm looking at.
Speaker 6: The like, give me what I want.
Speaker 3: I love it. That was awesome. Yeah, no, dude, yeah, Stone called Steve Austin.
Speaker 1: That's it what I sometimes?
Speaker 3: All right? Ardi J in New Jersey, Artie J, do you have driving a truck as we speak.
Speaker 16: Well I'm not I'm not driving a truck.
Speaker 3: Well, we appreciate you listening and calling. Anyways, Ardy J, how have you expected changed for this uh, this Cowboys team going into week nine?
Speaker 16: Actually, it hasn't changed. And first of all, I just want to say I love the show, always loved the show appreciation. I mean, the combination is just great. And I hope your your your three uh triplets are doing well because I I thought that was just great that you were able to have those kids. And I've seen him on I've seen him on the show, the Post Game Show as well with Nate Holdingham to say, but anyway, I just want to let you know Pat I was I'm on board with you. I am definitely on board with you about the Cowboys.
Speaker 7: But here's my problem.
Speaker 16: Can someone asked the question someone why Dak isn't running?
Speaker 12: We need to know.
Speaker 16: I mean, it's so important. I mean it's just like there are just times when you're seeing yourself, why.
Speaker 5: Aren't you running?
Speaker 16: And and and some somebody one of the journals journalists needs to ask that question because it's so important, Because it's getting to a point right now that although I have faith in the Cowboys. There are things that are just happening that are not about details anymore. It's not about cleaning up. It's like, what's going on with this offense? What's going on with this defense? Why aren't we why are we making plays that are so making plays that are so predictable to the other team, and why are we letting other teams run all over our defense? Something's wrong here and we need to answer questions. But the biggest question is why isn't Dak running when he should run?
Speaker 1: Tell you what I would do. I'll ask him on Thursday on camera.
Speaker 16: Thank you.
Speaker 9: I'll be one.
Speaker 1: If no one beats me to the question, I will get that question.
Speaker 3: I'm going to beat him to the question. I'm gonna pop up on Thursday. I'm going to ask you either way the eye as I ask it. I'm gonna be like Dash, So, why aren't you running this year at all?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 5: No, As long as the Q gets asked it, just know it will be asked on Thursday when they make him available to the media.
Speaker 3: We got you, love it, We love it. RDJ appreciate the call as always be safe out there in New Jersey and we'll talk to you again down the line. He brings up a great point, though, and Jerry was asked about it this morning. Jerry said, I don't necessarily want him running. He wants him to be smart about it. Is what he said. He wants them to be smart. And if that's the case, I think whenever Jerry's cutting the checks that ultimately accumulate to sixty million dollars a year, I think smart would be stay in the pocket.
Speaker 6: If it's eeronomical runs with Yeah, you.
Speaker 1: Know, it's also smart. What's that winning winning games?
Speaker 3: I agree, trust me, I'm not that one job checks.
Speaker 1: So it is the run.
Speaker 6: That's what Mike McCarthy said yesterday. Our job is to win games.
Speaker 3: If it's not about winning, we don't have time for it. He said that couple of times. They didn't have a lot of time last week. Apparently, Oh sorry, Hey, that's that's fine. They're three and four. Let's talk. Let's let's go back to Sean. Let's go back to Sean and Hot Springs, Arkansas. The optimism, it's a good thing because we're turning the page. Now, we're turning the page. We've got a tough schedule ahead. The Atlanta Falcons are on the docket and Mercedes Been Stadium in Atlanta, Jojia going into the UK in It is a big week for the Cowboys trying to get back to five hundred and we will break down the Cowboys defense in their matchup against Kirk Cousins in the Atlanta Offense tomorrow. That's gonna do it for us here on Talking Cowboys Special. Thanks to all those they gave us a call. It was a great Talking Tuesday. You guys are fantastic as always and we love you guys day in and day out. For Chris Beam, Josh Rodriguez, Patrick no Seawalker, I'm Kyle Yomen saying so long from Talking Cowboys. We will see you tomorrow. This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.