Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Under the deal reached today, effective at four am tomorrow local time, the fighting across the Celebanies Israeli border will end, will end. This is designed to be a permanent cessation of hostilities.
Speaker 3: What is left of.
Speaker 2: Hesbalah and another terrorist organization will not be allowed.
Speaker 1: President Biden there in the Rose Garden at the White House saying that Israel and Hesbela have agreed to a cease fire deal. Giving his remarks on the Middle East conflict, he says this ceasefire deal will last for sixty days. He also went on to say that the people of Gaza also deserve a cease fire deal, and he says the only way out for Hamas is to release those hostages that have been held in captivity. So a big day, and we certainly heard earlier in the day from Prime Minister Benjamin Notat in Yahoo said he would bring the proposed ceasefire to a vote by his security cabinet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that ceasefire, Lebanon ceasefire begins at four am local time. For more, let's go to Bloomberg News. US National Security Team Leader Nick Wadhams, who's standing by in Washington, DC. Nick, good to have you joining us on this breaking news. Help us understand where exactly this ceasefire, what part of the war the ceasefire effects, and what part of the war is still continuing to be ongoing.
Speaker 5: So there are essentially two fronts to this war. There's Israel's battle with Hamas and the Gaza Strip, and then resulting from that, after the attack by Hamas on October seventh that provoked the Israeli campaign in the Gaza Strip, you've seen increasingly intense fire between Hesbela and Israel, and in recent weeks that essentially turned into a full blown war where you had Hesbelah launching missiles from Lebanon into Israel, and you also had Israel widening the scope of a pretty devastating campaign against Hesbolah in Lebanon, taking out many of its top leaders and also striking targets in the heart of Bay Root, essentially turning that city essentially into a war zone. So that was where the Biden administration and others such as France, which was also a sort of handmade into this deal, found the prospect for an agreement, and that's really where they focus. So what you see today is the Biden administration getting that pause. Hopefully they say it'll be much longer than a pause, It'll be a permanent ceasefire between Israel and Hesbalah. And then as the President mentioned there, that would then in turn allow for pressure to be put on Israel and Hamas to get the much authority or agreement, which would be an end to the violence in the Gaza strip. That's still quite a long ways off, no indication that that would be able to be completed by the end of Biden's term and when President Elect Trump takes over.
Speaker 1: Nick safe to say that the Israel war in Lebanon and that was not very popular with the people of Israel. But I do wonder about bringing some kind of end to what's happening in Gaza. Is that as likely? Should we assume that an end to that is just around the corner or these are two different fronts and two different stories here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, that's We've had a lot of false hopes over the months since October seventh, twenty twenty three, when Hamas launched that attack on Israel, that we would see something. There had been a very brief cease fire at one point, but you know, The intractable problem there is that Israel says it will not stop the fight in Gaza until Hamas no longer exists as a fighting force. Hamas meanwhile says, even though it's in a vastly degraded state, it says it will not end the fighting until Israel with draw us from the Gaza strip. I mean, those are two fundamentally oppositional goals, and so far the two sides have found no way to be able to reconcile them. You also, obviously have the fate of the Israeli hostages. There's a dwindling number of those hostages, but there are many still be believed to be alive in Gaza. Israel wants the back Hamas does not want to give them up because then it has no leverage essentially against Israel. So a much thorny or much more intractable, intractable conflict, And it looks like, you know, with the Biden administration having less than two months in office, that's going to be a very very big hill to climb for them to be able to wrap that up.
Speaker 4: So that's exactly where I wanted to end, Nick, is the idea of the incoming administration versus the Biden administration. So what the Trump administration has said about the war, the war's happening right now versus what the Biden administration has sat and tried to do and even today's development, How does that change when President elect Trump takes office on January twentieth.
Speaker 5: Well, that's the question that is really front and center for everyone, because President Elect Trump has essentially given some pretty conflicting remarks on that, saying, on the one hand, he believes that Israel should be allowed to finish the job so that too many people suggests step up paign in the Gaza strip against Hamas. He's also said though, that he wants it to be wrapped up as quickly as possible. So you could see a situation where Trump essentially puts more pressure on Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyah, who gives him a free reign to do more of what he wants, but less time to do it. He would have some more leverage over Netanyahu because of the relationship between the two of them, Trump and net and Yao, who have a much cozier relationship than Biden and net Yahoo, which was much more stand offish. So really difficult to know how that plays out, because of course Hamas has a say here. They can keep up the fight themselves, but certainly President elect Trump has promised to bring this to a swift end. The challenge, though, of course, as I say, is his way of doing that is to give Israel more of a free hand. So we'll have to see how that plays out.
Speaker 1: Hey, Nick, one last question, and let's just remind everybody the top headline off this story. President Bind just speaking from the Rose Garden at the White House saying Israel reached a ceasefire deal with the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah after weeks of talks mediated excuse me, by the United States, and hailing this agreement as a major step to ending a conflict that we know has killed thousands of people. But it's not over yet. As we've been talking about what's going on in the Gaza strip, I am curious Nick, the timing of this. I'm assuming president like Donald Trump, is getting security briefs. Are we assuming that there's some conversations going on beyond between the president elect and the current president. Maybe there was when they met at the White House after Donald Trump was reelected. So I'm just curious what you are hearing behind the scenes when it comes to what's going on bigger picture.
Speaker 5: Sure, I mean we know that the Trump, the incoming Trump administration, the Trump transition team has been getting briefings. However, we do have one government at a time, and it is actually illegal for non government Americans to conduct foreign policy ostensibly on the government's behalf or as a sort of government in waiting. That's not really something Trump can do. However, what we do know is what we don't know the extent of any conversations between Biden and Trump. I'd suspect they'd be quite limited. We do know there have been several conversations between Trump and Prime Minister Net and Yahoo, and that's obviously the thing we're all trying to crack what exactly they're saying to each other. What we've heard from the Trump administration is it is not very detailed conversations that they're not really talking deep strategy or anything like that. But you could imagine a scenario where Trump is going to put pressure on net and Yahoo in one way or another, either to wrap things up or who knows. So that's really something that we're trying to crack. We do know those conversations are going on all.
Speaker 1: Right, so appreciate it. Bloomberg News US National Security Team leader Nick Wadams right there standing by with us. Khaleite Alstein is Bloomberg News Economy and Government reporter. She's joining us on the phone from Tel Aviv Galt. Initial thoughts on this news and what it means for the war in between Israel and yes, obviously with Hesbela, but also with Hamas.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, goodnight from television, so obviously on Israel's more with Isabella. This is some sea fire that you just mentioned is about to go into effect four and a half hours according to the reports that we're hearing here, and this will bring to an end a war that and ongoing fire exchanges that have been going on between Israel and Iran backs Isabella since October eighth and twenty twenty three. So that will definitely be a big change for in this situation that it has been ongoing for over over a year. One of Israel's achievements, officials here say, is that by achieving this sea fire agreement, Israel has managed to disconnect the war with his ballad in Lebanon from the war that is going on with Hamas in Gaza. You know, this is something that Israel was unable to do for a very long time because his Bala leader, Hassan Asada, which is well assassinated in late September, he made a very strong point of saying that the two Arenas and the two armed fronts are connected. And ever since he was taken down by Israel and leadership in his Balla changed. Israel has wanted to disconnect between the two arenas and it is now from from the Israeli perspective, it has managed to do that. And now Israel is hoping that when Hamas is left on its own secluded, you know which Isabella already part of a seafire deal, it will put more pressure on Hamas to perhaps reach a ceasefire agreement with Israel in Gaza.
Speaker 4: Also relee where does Iran fall in all of this and how does their role change as a result of this cease fire.
Speaker 3: So reports we're hearing for starters are that Iran did support and back there's some sea fire agreement between Chrisbella and Israel. Otherwise it probably would not have been able to move forward as as it has and as it should tomorrow morning. So so that's one one thing to know about Iran. Now, Iran and Israel have been exchanging fire for for several months now. Every every few months, Iran has been attacking as well, ballistically solves as well has retaliated recently in an attack of its own. Iran has has now seemed to kind of take a step back and its intentions to once again retaliate against as well and see what the Trump administration is going to look like for them, for Iran and perhaps some negotiating new nuclear deal with you know, with the US and other nations. So Iran it's kind of looks like now like it's sitting on the fence. It is noteworthy that Benjamin Attemao, when he was giving a televis statement this evening just ahead of the of the Cabinet of the Israeli cabinets approval of the ceasefire agreement, he did mention that one of the reasons for Israel to want to achieve a ceasefire, which isabelle at this time, is that it can focus on the Iranian threat. And he said he would not elaborate on what this means, but he was obviously, you know, saying two three run right, and we're still looking at you and we're still looking to stop you from becoming a nuclear nation.
Speaker 1: Kolly just got about thirty seconds here. So is this you know you're on the ground there, you understand the pressure. We talked earlier with our Nick Wadams, who covers national security certainly here in the United States. But saying that, you know, ending what was going on Lebanon maybe is not on the same doesn't necessarily mean we're going to see an end to what's going on with Hamas and uh Palestinians right now. So I just I'm wondering, tell us what you can say, is this, Is this a big step forward to we assume that we can see an end to the conflict very soon everywhere or not necessarily just quickly.
Speaker 3: So to summon up very quickly with Hamas. Maybe, like I said, if Commas feels more secluded now and feels that, you know, more pressure, maybe this can advance and see for ideal between Israel and Comas. Iran is a different story. Not that Trisabella is weakened after the war with Israel. They are more exposed to perhaps an attacked against its energy and mulcular facilities. I'm not saying that this is on the table here and now, but this is definitely something that NATANIAO has been hinting at. And it still remains to be seeing whether the direct exchanges between Iran and Israel that we've seen over the past month over at this point and Lias until the chump and aguration, or we'll see more of those exchanges on coming.
Speaker 1: We do know it's late, and we appreciate you giving an update on the situation, certainly since you're there on the ground. Khalide, thank you so much. Khalide Alstain Bloomberg News Economy and Government report on the phone with us from Tel Aviv