Speaker 1: Welcome.
Speaker 2: It is Verdict with Ted Cruz week in Review, Ben Ferguson with you, and we've got a lot of major stories that you may have missed that we talked about this week.
Speaker 1: First up, Joe Biden.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's now been busted line to the American people along with the intelligence community. They knew when they gave him that letter to get him through the President of debate claiming that the Hunter Biden laptop was Russian disinformation the entire time they knew they were lying to the American people. Will there be accountability for that? We're going to talk about it. Also, terrorists are coming across the southern border and we're catching them and the Biden administration is letting them go. Now we have multiple terrorists that are connected with isis K who have been arrested in this country. And finally, Donald Trump has closed door meetings with House Republicans and the GOP in the Senate, and what they have planned next if he wins, is going to be huge for this country. We'll break all that down for you. It's the weekend Review and it starts right now. Oh, let's forget this. Let's remind people why that letter was so important. It was before a president of debate and they needed to get out of jail free.
Speaker 3: Excuse Yeah, and Biden cited the letter in the debate. He relied on it. Here, take a listen.
Speaker 4: Then we're going.
Speaker 5: To have it's true about Russia, Ukraine, China, other countries, Iraq. If this is true, then he's a corrupt politician. Right, So don't give me the stuff about how you're this innocent baby Joe.
Speaker 6: They're calling you a corrupt politician.
Speaker 1: Nobody.
Speaker 6: I want to stay on the issue of race.
Speaker 4: We're talking about from hill, President Trump.
Speaker 7: We're talking about race right now, and I do want to stay on the issue of race. President Trump, you have to respond to that.
Speaker 1: Please look very cool.
Speaker 7: Are fifty former national intelligence folks who said that what this he's accusing me of is a Russian plant.
Speaker 1: They have said that this has all the care.
Speaker 7: Four five former heads of the c i A both parties say what he's saying is a bunch of garbage. Nobody believes it except them his and his good friend Rudy Jolly.
Speaker 5: You mean the laptop is now another Russia Russia Russia hoax?
Speaker 7: You that's exactly what this is, way exactly what.
Speaker 1: This is where he's going. I want to stay on the issue of race. You have to be here we go again with the Russia. We're going to I will.
Speaker 2: By the way, how the whole time, the moderator's like, we got to move on from this. We gotta, we gotta move on as fast as we can.
Speaker 3: We don't get about any topic about this. Look, I mean the moderators that they might as well wear Biden campaign hats uh and that that that is just where the press is and they're even worse now. But but every word Biden said there was a deliberate lie. And by the way, Hunter Biden knew is an absolute fact. The laptop was accurate then, which means either Joe Biden knew as a fact that it was accurate, or if he didn't know, it's because he didn't want to know it he didn't ask his son. Those are the two options. So he was lying, and he was he was lying because it helped him politically. And and the person who organized that letter was Tony Blincoln. The reward for doing that b Lincoln becomes the US Secretary of State. That's how important it was.
Speaker 2: That letter saved him. I mean, let's be queer. I don't think he would have been Joe Biden would be president now if it wasn't for.
Speaker 3: That letter, and and it was a flat out lie and and and you look at the press, all right. Take a listen to Leslie Stall when she's interviewing Trump and and and she's making very much the same point.
Speaker 6: It's I think it's one of the biggest scandals I've ever seen. And you don't cover him. You want to talk about it because it can't You want to talk about insignificant things. I'm telling you. Of course, it can be verified. They found the laptop, Leslie, listen. Verify can't be verified the laptop. Well, you said it. Even the family hasn't the family on the LEFTO. He's gone into hiding for five days. He's gone and die and he's prepared for your debate mods taking them five days to prepare. I doubt it.
Speaker 8: I did.
Speaker 2: Okay, So let's get back to the name I will.
Speaker 1: So let's let's just get back to the name calling.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 2: We're gonna move on. We can't talk about it because I've got an agenda.
Speaker 3: I've got an agenda, and and facts can't get in the way. Look, Leslie Stall pretends she's a journalist. That's sixty minutes. That's CBS, and what she's saying it can't be verified as a flat out live of course it could be verified. It's called journalism. But CBS had no interest in doing journalism, nor do they now. You know, if Leslie.
Speaker 1: Stall excuse she said there, well he's been.
Speaker 3: Well, they're busy, they're preparing for the debate. So so you can't expect them to respond to the overwhelming evidence of corruption because you know, let's get back to the name calling. I'm busy attacking you, Donald Trump. So so so don't you bring up anything that that that that Biden is doing. And you know, look, if Leslie Stall, if any journalist had a shred of integrity, they would stand up and say I was totally wrong. What I said was false. I didn't do my job, and I apologize. She's not going to do that. None of them are. And by the way, the people who have signed this letter, they're not coming back and admitting, Okay, I was completely full of crap and I lied to the American people right before an election, and it influenced the election profoundly.
Speaker 2: Not just that James Clapper, Tod Fox it is and he stands by the letter of the laptop.
Speaker 3: You know, the Biden intelligence and the Obama intelligence hardcore partisans. Facts have no bearing for them. They are so partisan they will stick to their lie no matter what.
Speaker 1: Senator.
Speaker 2: One other question I want to ask you about your trip before we wrap things up is met with a guy by the names Zelenski. Now, what matters the most to me was was he wearing a suit or was he still wearing the military fatigues.
Speaker 1: I just I got to know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, he was in the military fatigues. That's what he wears every day.
Speaker 1: Oh man.
Speaker 2: I mean back in the good old days when he was meeting with Trump and you guys, he was wearing a suit when he came to ask for money.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Ever since the war started, he's in the fatigues every day, and so he was in kind of an olive green sweatshirt.
Speaker 2: So you meet with him and he's got a bunch more money, a couple, you know, a couple of hundred million dollars more two hundred and something I think is is what Biden said during this trip that he was going to give to them again. You guys met with him, What was it like this time and what did he have to say?
Speaker 3: So, well, there was a group of senators that went to D Day for the eightieth anniversary of D Day, went to Normandy and there were nineteen senators. It was a big, big trip, and there were I think fifty three House members. So it was a signific get percentage of the United States Congress. And so Zelensky sat down had a meeting with all the senators and then after that he had a meeting with the House members. So both sides sat down and met with him. We met in in the historic Talleyrand Hotel, which is this beautiful hotel in Paris that actually the US government now owns. It's no longer a hotel, and it is where the Marshall Plan was signed. And so there's a big room that has gold, you know, gold on the ceiling. It's very elaborate and and it it's a historic, historic meeting space. So that's where we met and it was a good discussion. Look, Zelensky was there with several of his aides and he was describing what is happening, and he was you know, he is a a wartime leader and listen there that there are some there are some who are big critics of Zelensky. I don't put myself in that camp. I think he is trying to defend his nation from an invasion, and an invasion from Russian Vladimir Putin is a bad guy. And so Zelensky is doing what what you would hope any leader when his country is at war is doing, which is trying to defend his country and trying to get help wherever you can get it. And so he's coming in and he's asking for American help. Uh and and he's laying out his goals in the war. And so he laid them out, and then then each of us had the opportunity to ask ask questions. My principal question I asked him, I said, how would you define victory? What does victory mean? And what is the path to getting there? Look, I want Russia to lose the difficulty, and I got to say that question that I asked. He didn't really answer me on how he would define victory. He has another context, define victory as as Ukraine winning back essentially every square inch of territory that Russia has taken. I understand why Zelensky would say that's victory. If if you were Zelenski, you'd probably say the same thing. But but that doesn't mean it is in the United States's interest to demand every square inch of territory be taken back. The reason we have an interest in this war is that we want we do not want our enemy Russia to win and get stronger, uh and and instead we want Russia to be weaker so that they're less able to pose a threat to America. They're also, by the way, very very significant resources, in particular rare earth minerals in Ukraine that are critical for the economy going forward. One of the reasons Russia's invading Ukraine is is to get a stranglehold on those rare earth minerals. We don't want putin to have those those those that would not be good for America. Uh and and and so. But but you know what was really striking Ben is in the meeting with Zelensky and we all so had a classified meeting with senior leaders of the Pentagon talking about details of what exactly is happening in the war, where the battles are, where the victories are, where the losses are. And it was a very interesting and worthwhile briefing, but the question of what does victory mean? This administration is not asking that question. No Democrat in that room is asking that question. What is victory? And I got to say it really, you know, when it struck me is we went out to lunch two days ago at a little Paris cafe in between meetings, and we're sitting there at lunch talking and I was most of the senators there at the lunch table were Democrats, and they were all talking about Vietnam. And it struck me looking around the table that they're all baby boomers, They're all children of Vietnam. They all kind of got their start in politics protesting against Vietnam. And look for you and me, I mean, neither of us were alive when Vietnam was a thing. You weren't alive at all. And I was like two when the Vietnam War ended, so I have no memories. Vietnam did not impact my awareness of the world. It was done by the time I was learning about the world. And so I got to say a lot of the boomers, particularly the Democrat boomers, they took the wrong lesson from Vietnam. And I think there are lots of lessons to take from Vietnam. But one of the central ones is that you should have a clear, defined objective that you know what it is that is directly related to your national security that is achievable. You should have a plan to achieve it, and then you should get the hell out. And Vietnam, we just let it go on and on and on and be a quagmire and just kept pouring money and American soldiers and lives into it without a clear objective that we were willing to use overwhelming force to accomplish. This administration has no objective. They can't articulate one. They're not even asking that question. That is infuriating.
Speaker 2: Now, if you want to hear the rest of this conversation, you can go back and listen to the full podcast from earlier this week. Now onto story number two center. As I said at the beginning, shocking how crazy the news cycle is in the last twenty four hours. Hunter Biden trials a big story, yes, being found guilty, but there is an even bigger story that we have been warning about for months on this show, and that is perspective terrorists. Those that are on the terrorists watch list, hundreds that have been caught a lot of gotaways that have not been caught, and even when terrorists are getting caught, we're letting them go. This is the second story of this happening, and now we have multiple arrests of isis K coming across our southern border. Here is how CBS News broke the story.
Speaker 8: Last night, eight individuals, all from the Central Asian country of Tajikistan, were arrested in Los Angeles, New York, and Philadelphia. They entered the United States this year and in twenty twenty three, crossing the Mexican border. They were vetted and allowed to remain in the country. CBS News has learned further investigation uncovered the men had possible ties to isis K, the terror group which claimed responsibility for an attack at a Moscow concert hall that killed more than one hundred and forty people earlier this year.
Speaker 2: Center that's eight across the entire country, from the extreme west coast to the east coast in Philadelphia, and these are just the ones that we've caught that had been arrested. You've been warning about this open border, and we've had the numbers to back it up. Of those on the terrorists watch lists and the administration is saying we're willing to roll the dice and taste that rip to bring in illegal immigrants.
Speaker 3: Well, sadly, that's exactly right. This story is a big damn deal. We have eight suspected terrorists with isis K who've been arrested. They've been arrested in Los Angeles, in New York, and in Philadelphia. Now they came into this country illegally at our southern border. The Biden administration apprehended them and then they let them go. They let terrorists go. And I've been saying for a long time we are at a greater risk of a major terrorist attack in the United States right now than we have been any time since September eleventh, and let's go. So the first outlet to break this story was the New York Post, and the New York Post announced that these people had been arrested, and they were arrested in the coordinated sting operation that occurred in three cities, Los Angeles, New York, and Philadelphia. Two ICE sources confirmed to the Posts that they arrested six people from Tajikistan over the last week after the FBI contacted the agency to warn them. Two others who were part of the same group, were also arrested after being under surveillance for several months by the multi agency Joint Terrorism Task Force. Part of the investigation featured a wire tap which revealed one of the now arrested individuals was talking about bombs. And here's a quote quote remember the Boston marathon bombing. I'm afraid something like that might happen again or worse, one of the sources told the Post. The subject the target was the subject to the wire tap was previously released by federal authorities at the southern border with a court date next year, but it has since emerged that he has potential ties to ISIS. And by the way, it is worth noting who is isis K. So isis K IS is a splinter group, but it is the group that carried out the terror attack that that we just saw, the terror attack that that happened in the concert hall in Moscow, and that was carried out by terrorists from Czech Tajikistan. So the same country these folks are from the same terror group isis K. And remember what they did. They killed one hundred and forty five people in that Moscow terror terror attack, And so the Biden administration has an open border. It is effectively a red carpet. If you're a terrorist, come to America and we, the idiot Democrats, will let you in if we catch you. And by the way, they catch all these guys because and what happens they turn around and let them go. How many terrorists are Joe Biden the Democrats gonna let go? And by the way, is anyone in the news covering this, is anyone asking Joe by this? Is anyone asking any other Democrat? You know, I've got fifty one Democrat colleagues. How many of them in Capitol Hill are being asked? Why does your party keep releasing terrorists into America? And why are you endangering the lives of American families across this country?
Speaker 2: And this goes back to another story that happened in April, and we talked about it here. There was a man on the terror watch list that was released also by border patrol. With security funding blocked in Congress, this became an issue and they said, quote, the case illustrates the challenges US officials face and identifying migrants who posed national security threats because we're being overrun at the border. NBC News at the time, and we played this, and I just think it's important to remind them it's not just these eight isis K But go back just to April eleventh, NBC.
Speaker 3: Is happening over and over and again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, listen to what they said back in April.
Speaker 4: An alarming development and the border crisis. Among the record number of migrants crossing the southern border was a member of an Afghan terror organization who was released into the US by border agents. According to US officials, forty eight year old Mohammed Harwin illegally crossed into California in March of last year. His name is on a US terror watch list identifying him as a member of HIG, a terror group that's killed Americans in Afghanistan.
Speaker 2: I mean center, This is another story that is completely unrelated. A month before that, we found out that another man on a terrorist watch list was released and they had to go grab him up and upstate I think it was upstate New York.
Speaker 1: So you have these.
Speaker 2: Headlines that keep happening. We are catching some of these people and we're releasing them because we're overrun.
Speaker 3: So and it's worth remembering that the FBI Director Chris Ray has repeatedly testified before Congress about possible ISIS terror plots being carried out on US soil and the groups potential for using the southern border to get into this country illegally. And Chris Ray has warned about a possible quote coordinated attack that could take place of the United States from ISIS case, so they know this risk is there. And I want to point out also, you know, we had a couple of months ago, we had the impeachment of Alejandro Mayorcis, and it came over to the Senate, and I and many others on the Republican side wanted to lay out the facts that this administration that may Orcus's lawless refusal to follow federal federal immigration law, on his his releasing of millions and millions and millions, over eleven million illegal immigrants that have come into this country, and are Joe Biden that a major threat from that are the terrorists that they keep releasing over and over and over again. And it's worth noting Ben every single Democrat voted not to hear the case, to throw it out, to dismiss it at the outset. They didn't want to hear the evidence of terrorists being released in the country. They didn't want to allow the house house managers to present that evidence. They didn't want the American people to hear that evidence, and we are on borrowed time. It is not complicated that if you continue to invite terrorists from all over the world, whether Hamas or Hesbel or Palestinian Islamic Jahad or isis K or anybody else. If you invite terrorists from all over the world come into this country, if when you catch them you release them and allow them to continue planning terror attacks, it is only a matter of time before tragically Americans are going to die.
Speaker 2: March the eleventh, Christopher Ray, in his own words before Congress.
Speaker 9: From an FBI perspective, we are seeing a wide array of very dangerous threats that emanate from the border. There is a particular network that has where some of the overseas facilitators of the smuggling network have ISIS ties that we're very concerned about. And then we've been spending an enormous amount of effort with our partners investigating.
Speaker 2: That's at least his second, if not third warning to Congress. I think in the last six to seven month, Senator, does this give you guys leverage to now say we've got these eight isis k isis k is the same group that had the spinoff that had the attack in Russia. The FBI director has now warned us a couple of times, why are you guys not changing the policy at the southern border as president? And clearly you should know now from all of these warnings that this policy is a disaster and there are multiple terrorists that are already in this country that we don't know where they are.
Speaker 3: So frankly, the only leverage we have is what I'm doing right now is shining a light and informing the American people. Why is that because not a single Democrat in the United States Congress cares. Look the Mayorcis impeachment. Every single Democrat, all fifty one of them, they voted. Note we don't want to hear the evidence. We don't care. I sit on the Senate Judiciary Committee. In three and a half years of Biden's presidency, we have had zero hearings on the risk of terrorism from illegal immigrants coming into this country that Joe Biden and the Democrats they don't want to hear it, Which means as long as Chuck Schumer is the majority leader, and the Democrats have control over the Senate. The Senate is not going to do anything, and they're forty nine of us. We can jump up and down and yell, but forty nine cannot out vote fifty one and so fundamentally, the Senate will do nothing as a matter of law to hold Joe Biden to the Democrats accountable, and the media will do nothing. It's why you and I do this podcast because the only solution is the ballot box is throwing Joe Biden the Democrats out of office. And then listen in January in a Trump administration that we're going to secure the damn border. But you've got to have a president willing to follow the law, and Joe Biden refuses to follow the law as before.
Speaker 2: If you want to hear the rest of this conversation on this topic, you can go back and dow the podcasts from Earthly this week to hear the entire thing. I want to get back to the big story number three of the week. You may have missed, Senator, this was a very interesting moment on Capitol Hill. Donald Trump came and met with a lot of the Republican leadership a lot of your colleagues were there, and the initial reports that came out were saying it was a lot of enthusiasm and a lot of excitement from the Republican leaders that were there.
Speaker 1: You were in the room, tell us what was happening.
Speaker 3: So I was. So. Trump began the day by meeting with the House Republicans. I was not in that meeting. Some of the reports of that as that was a little bit wild and wooly. That got into all sorts of topics. But Trump came by the Senate to have lunch with us, and so we met at the National Republican Senatorial Committee, which is like three blocks away from the Capitol, and Trump joined us for the lunch and it started. We're all sitting sitting in a room. It started with him talking for about twenty twenty five minutes, and then we did a whole series of Q and A where probably about a dozen of us asked him questions and he commented on those. And then we went out and we did a press conference where we stood we all stood behind him, and he stood up and gave the press conference and listen, I gotta say the biggest thing about the lunch that struck me was the unity in the room. Look, the media likes to talk about divisions and the Republican Party, and there are certainly some, but today I didn't see any of that. Today. Everyone in the room was focused on winning in November and turning the country around. And Trump was in great spirits. You know. One of the things I asked him after the meeting. I came up and spent a couple of minutes talking with him. I just asked, how are you doing. I mean, it's been this bs you're dealing with with these New York convictions, their utter garbage. But listen, it's not fun to be convicted of felonies. I mean it's been He's been through hell. And so just as a personal level, I was asking him how he was doing, and he said he was doing fine, and it seemed real and genuine. I mean, he was not down in the dumps, He was not discouraged. In fact, was he was really in good spirits. He was optimistic, and his message to everyone is listen, let's stand together. And he emphasized several things. Number one, he emphasized the border, that we've got to secure the border, that it is insane that we have open borders, that it's an invitation to terrorists, and he's exactly right. If and when Trump wins, we will secure the border in the first month or two of the next Trump administration. And I can say that because we know how to do it. We did it before, and we'll do it again. He also talked a lot about inflation and energy in particular, and he pointed out quite rightly that energy is foundational to inflation. One of the reasons that prices have gone up on just about everything is that energy prices of skyrocketed because the Biden administration has been waging war on American energy and we are an energy powerhouse where the number one producer of oil in the world, where the number one producer of natural gas in the world, and the Biden administration is doing everything they can to stifle that. And Trump was very clear that we're going to reverse that. We will reverse that fast early next year, and that's going to have a real impact on energy prices and inflation across the board. We also talked about national security and in particular how insane it is that the Biden administration has flowed one hundred billion dollars to Iran and if and when Trump wins, that's going to end as well.
Speaker 2: You mentioned a moment ago that there seemed to be unity in the room. That's incredibly important for getting legislation passed. Yes, and you need that, and we didn't have that type of unity. I would argue last time in twenty sixteen, early on, there was some splinters. There was somede divisiveness in the House. That's in its side. What you seem to be describing this time is if Donald Trump is elected and Republicans have control of the House the Senate, it's game on from the from January tewod there's not going to be you know, let's get to know each other time and have some meetings and maybe come over the White House like there's an agenda and it's ready to go for the American people.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think that's exactly right. And let me put it in broader context, which is yesterday the Speaker of the House, Mike Johnson, came and had lunch with all the Republican senators. And by the way, that almost never happens. When Paul Ryan was speaker, he didn't do that. When John Bayner was speaker, he didn't do that. When Kevin McCarthy was speaker. He didn't do that. Mike Johnson has done that this multiple times. This is either the third or fourth time he's come and had lunch with all the Senate Republicans. I think that's great. He was talking at lunch yesterday. He said, you know, it's amazing that the media treats it as a news story that the House and Senator talking to each other. And the reason he came over and talked to us is is he said, he's focused on his end, very much on developing the agenda and the plans to hit the ground running if and when we win in November, if we come in to January of next year with a Republican president, a Republican Senate, Republican House, we got an enormous amount to accomplish, and the Speaker, to his credit, is very focused on the first one hundred days. What can we accomplish, what can we do to change the path of the country. I encouraged him to dig in on that. In fact, I shared with a speaker and with everyone else in the room. You know a lot of the senators that are there now were not there back in twenty seventeen when Trump first became president.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 3: The Speaker said, look, when Trump first became president, he was a freshman, he was brand new in the Congress, and he was amazed that the Congress was not prepared with the legislative agenda from day one. And he pointed out that he thought a lot of Republicans were surprised that Trump won. They were expecting Hillary to win, and so when the administration came in, they weren't ready for primetime. They didn't know what to do. In this instance, I'm very glad the Speaker is trying to think proactively. And I described I described something that I did back in the summer of twenty eighteen. So summer of twenty eighteen, we did a lunch with all the Senate Republicans and I prepared a PowerPoint. It was about fifty pages long, and I spoke to my colleagues probably the better part of an hour, and the title of the PowerPoint was carpe dim And what I did in the PowerPoint is I looked in the past, in previous instances when one party controlled the White House, the House, and the Senate. It happens pretty rarely. When the Democrats do it, they fundamentally transformed the country. So in the last century, the first time they did it, they passed the New Deal. The second time they did it, they passed the Great Society. The third time they did it, they passed Obamacare and Dodd Frank And now for the last two years we've seen they've spent us into an absolute inflation and recession home. And on the other hand, Republicans, when we have unified control, we tend to do small and piddling things. So what I argued in the PowerPoint is at the time I presented it was August of twenty eighteen, I said, listen, any rational political observer recognizes that there's a very real chance that we will lose at least one House of Congress in November. And I said to my colleagues, particularly the guys who were the sophomores, who were the people who had been elected two years earlier, And I said, look for you, guys, we have one hundred and eighty three days till the next Congress. For many of you, if we do not pass things now, you will never again have another chance to pass anything into law. And so I put together a spreadsheet. It was about fifty different bills all of the bills had been written by different Republican senators. Some I had written, but most of them were my colleagues. And all of the bills were bills that had a reasonable prospect of garnering fifty one votes. They weren't fringe things that would get ten or twelve votes. They were all things that would easily get forty five Republicans and that had a real shot at getting fifty. And what I argued is, I said, listen, this is going to sound radical to you, Ben, we should do something, we should not do nothing. Amazingly enough, that argument proved unpersuasive. Mitch McConnell said, well, so the principal avenue that if you look, the biggest legislative victory of the Trump years was the twenty seventeen tax cuts. We pass that using what's called budget reconciliation. Budget reconciliation is a process under a bill called the Budget Act in nineteen seventy five. The budget piece is not terribly consequential. What's consequential is, under the terms of the statute, you have an up down vote at fifty votes and it can't be filibustered. So it's one of the most important exceptions to the filibuster we could have. If you look at the Democrats, they did three budget reconciliations. It's how they passed almost all of their agenda that put us in this hole. When the Republicans had the majority, we did only one budget reconciliation. We did not do a single one in twenty eighteen, which, frankly, Ben is indefensible, and so I made the case of the Speaker and my colleagues. Let's not make that mistake again. Let's hit the ground running as always.
Speaker 2: Thank you for listening to Verdict with Sentner, Ted Cruz, Ben Ferguson with you don't forget to deal with my podcast, and you can listen to my podcast every other day you're not listening to Verdict or each day when you listen to Verdict. Afterwards, I'd love to have you as a listener to again the Ben Ferguson podcasts, and we will see you back here on Monday morning.