Speaker 1: Hand Me My Purse is a production of iHeart Podcasts. I read this on Viola Davis's Internet today and it says, you know, it's just something for us to think about. If you let other people repeatedly violate your boundaries just to keep the peace, ask yourself, whose piece is really being protected here? And that was from someone on the internet, Michelle C. Clark. I have no idea who that is, but I saw it and I saved it because it's something to think about. To further expound on that, another question to ask yourself is why am I protecting their piece and allowing my piece to be disrupted? Setting boundaries and standing ten toes down and making sure that those boundaries are respected and upheld is difficult. I just started to get good at that maybe last December this January. But it's essential for a peaceful life. So that's just something to think about, like, whose peace are you protecting if you allow people to just consistently violate your boundaries? And if you don't take your boundaries seriously, why in the hell would anybody else take your boundary seriously. It's time to get this party started. I can't see okay, what's up y'all welcome to hand me my purse the podcast I am Me Me Walker, and I will be here forever, host each and every single time you tune into this podcast. So go ahead and get comfortable. Get yourself a glass or a cup or a mug or a mayonnaise jar of your favorite beverage, whether that's grapefruit, sparkling water, some tart cherry juice which happens to be really good for inflammation by the way, a hot cup of Moroccan mint tea which is also good for digestive issues and issues around your gut and gut pain, or some Ian j chilled which is not good for anything, especially if you want to have a healthy functioning liver. But either way, if that's your jam, not here to judge you go light yourself a candle or some incense, or burn some sage and just get ready to chill out and have yourself a good time, all right, So friends and can let me go ahead and get into what I'm sipping on today. Today, I'm sipping on beer, or I was sipping on a beer not too long ago. I am really picky about beer, as it's not my favorite beverage to sip on. It's not my go to beverage if I go out, if I'm at a bar, or if I'm out having a good time. But I don't hate beer. Some women are like ew beer. I'm not like that. I do like the fact that beer has carbonation and not a lot of alcoholic beverages have those, except for the love of my life champagne or prosecco, which is just champagne. But that's neither here nor there. I really like beer because it helps me to belch, and I enjoy a good belch. Don't judge me for that. I have some digestive issues, and belching for me usually means relief, So I don't mind a good belch. And I've had some really, really tasty beers. I don't want to say the type of beer, but you know what, never mind, I'm going to say it. It's Stella Artois. I am a big fan. It doesn't taste like sadness or dirty old men or cigars or cigarettes, so I enjoy the way that it tastes. But I will not drink a beer out of a bottle for some reason. I just will not. I cannot commit to doing that. And when I see women drinking beer out of a bottle, I'm like, oh my goodness, couldn't you have gotten a cup? I don't know what that is. Maybe I was an etiquette class teacher in a past life, but I just won't drink beer out of a bottle. But anyway, do you guys drink beer? Does any of my friends again drink beer? I'm sure some of you do. And if you do, what kind of beer do you like? Put me onto some new beers. I'm a fan of I don't mind a hard sider, but I don't like those ones that taste like Martinelli's sparkling Apple juice, like Angry Orchard. That's just a little too much for me. I don't really like the super sour ones, but I've had some really good ciders that don't taste like juice. I prefer a light beer like a Belgian ale or a Hefa Iison if you will, because it's not as heavy. But if you know about a beer that might fit that, you know, beer demographic, let me know, put me on something new, because I'm always looking for some new things to try out. Oh yeah, so for today's Jam. For today's episode Jam, I decided to ask my guests what do you think the jam should be? What would you want to get jam to be? And so my guest today is one of my best friends. Her name is Crystal. I have two best friends. One is Natalie, that's my best friend from middle Liane in high school and we are still together till this day. And my best friend from college who is still my friend and who is my best friend and my friendship span years. And so I asked Crystal, I said, what do you think the jam should be? And she said she chose. I said, you can choose. She said Cozy by Beyonce, And when you hear the conversation, it'll make sense why she chose that. But the funny part is that she and I went to see Beyonce last month in May, and we went to Paris to see Beyonce, and neither one of us has had listened to the Renaissance album before we decided that we were going to see Beyonce. I didn't listen to the Renaissance album until a week or maybe four to five days before I left to go to Paris to see bem Say. And the best part, the sweetest part, is that the day that we were getting ready to you know, go to the show, you know, showering, putting our stuff on, the makeup and all of our accoutrement to go to the show. We decided that we were going to listen to the album, and I said, we need to listen to this so that we don't look stupid at this show. And we're the only ones who don't know the songs. Even if we don't know them, we can be familiar with the beats so that we can kind of like dance to them. And that is when we pretty much became familiar with the songs on the album as we were getting dressed to go to this show. So maybe four hours before the show started is when, and actually that's pretty stinking accurate. Four to five hours before the show started is when we started really listening to the album saying, oh, we like this song. Oh yeah, this one is good. So that is what happened. So she chose that song, and I'm glad that she did. I'm going to read some of the lyrics to you because it's a it's a pretty dope song. The song is basically about being comfortable in your skin. The song is called Cozy, being cozy in your skin and just loving yourself. And if that ain't a hand me my purse anthem. I don't know what it is, what would be? Excuse me? What it is? What it is? So what's the I'm sorry? So I want to read you guys. An excerpt from the song, it says, she's a god, she's a hero, she survived all she's been through. Confident. I suggestion with my sister because she ain't comfortable comfortable in my skin, Cozy with who I am comfortable in my skin, Cozy, cozy, comfortable in my skin. Feed up above your sins. I love myself, God, damn cozy Cozy. I love that. You know. I never noticed this part feet up above your sins. Come on now, Beyonce, I don't think you wrote that, but still I love that. Anyway. Check the song out, Check the whole album out. I'm late to the party, but something about me is that when everybody is on something, I tend to reject it or run in the opposite direction. And I'll give it some time and then I'll check it out. It's really a dope album. Ever since I've been back, I've listened to the album almost every day. I really love it, and I highly suggest even if you're not a Beyonce fan, check that song out because that is definitely a self love anthem. Cozy by Beyonce. Check it out. Yeah, all right, So I am here today with my bestie. Her name is what is your name? Introduce yourself.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm Crystal, Crystal Lindsay, and I am so excited to be here with my beat app as. We have a good time. It's going down.
Speaker 1: It's going down, Okay. So we are going to talk today primarily about we just took a trip. We are always taking trips is kind of our mo it is what we do. We go one thing about us, We're gonna go on a trip together. And we just took a major trip. Well it wasn't really major, but it was major because we went to see Queen Beyonce in Paris.
Speaker 2: And it was major because we were there together, yes, And it was major because we did all the things.
Speaker 1: All of the things. And so we're going to share our experience in Paris, going to see Beyonce and talk a little bit about friendships because I never knew until like maybe four or five years ago, that so many people, particularly black women, struggle to maintain healthy friendships at one another. Do you see that sometimes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know sometimes I think it's a matter of not being reflective if you can, if you I think that everybody should have at least two people that they can go to, especially black women, because we you know, we're pretty powerful. And so I think what happens is if you don't have just too, just too, then you got to do some reflecting and figure out what's happening and how come you don't have those two people. It is a blessing.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's a big, big blessing, absolutely, And it's.
Speaker 2: Really important to be in a space with your friends where you don't have to worry about being judged.
Speaker 1: That's just lose. So you think it's being reflective, I think that just like I think one thing that you always told me that I never really paid attention to. For me, it's about being authentic. I think that there are so many people who are not authentic, just in there waking everyday lives like they wake up, they put on a mask and there's somebody else every day And the thought of that makes me want to vomit. Like no, it does, because like it's so emotionally taxing to have to go through life putting on like a show. And I think that the blessing that I have in my friendships and especially in our friendship is that it's like, this is who I am, this is what you're gonna get, and not coming from a negative space, but like, I don't really give a fuck.
Speaker 2: I get that. I think though, a part of it is that over time, how you get to that place starts with self though, like I know who I am, I know who you are. When you tell me you did some something, you did it, you did it, or somebody told me she said this, I say, oh, I'm sorry about that. That's all I got. I don't have a whole lot of backwards and force. But it's because you know who you are and I know who I am, right, And so how can you be your authentic self with someone else if you're not really sure who you are? And I think sometimes that's where the struggle is, And how then do you get to authenticity?
Speaker 1: That's a excuse me, that might be a show in and of itself, like how do we get to that space? And I don't really know if I think I've kind of been in that mind frame though, since I was a kid, though, you know what I mean. Now, there was a time where I had to kind of pretend or perform, you know. I don't want to say for safety's purposes, but like to protect myself, and we kind of got to do that. It's kind of like code switching, right. But when I'm with the people that I feel I should feel safe around, or that I love and that I care about, like, I don't want to have to put on like I can be around you, and I can be around you know, other friends that I have and just not like I can be my whole self. I don't have to censor myself if I say something. And sometimes I'll say stuff and I'd be like, I shouldn't have said that, and you will say you shouldn't have said that, but I said it, and then we move on, Like you're not gonna judge me for saying that my best friend from high school she had it bad. She would call people's babies ugly, real baby, but the truth of the matter, No, oh no, me, you cannot call people but sometimes babies be ugly.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not I'm not signing up for that. I'm not saying.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean it's the truth.
Speaker 2: Well, you could just say that the baby, it looks different. It hasn't grown into the look yet.
Speaker 1: Okay. I mean, like, if I'm around you, I'm not saying the baby hasn't grown into the look yet. If I'm around you, I'm gonna say, oh.
Speaker 2: That baby ugly, and I'm gonna say, don't say.
Speaker 1: That, and I'm gonna say okay, and then we're gonna move on. We're gonna let yeah, like I'm but that's what I'm saying. Like there there's a level of comfort, But the comfort comes from not having to worry about being anybody else. Like whatever it is I say. And I know you guys don't quite know this, but I say some wild shit sometimes yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 2: But you know what's so funny about our relationship why it works is that I am thinking it. But one of the core things, and I blame Carly's on my mom for this, is that everything you do, you're supposed to do in kindness. So even when you say something, you should try to be kind about it. So I am constantly thinking about how not to have that ratchet part come out immediately I have to be upset, like I have to be up and then it just comes out like a motorbike.
Speaker 1: But if I'm not a motorbike, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: But if I'm not, then I can censor it a little bit more because I do not want to appear unkind.
Speaker 1: So for you, it's about doing things in kindness. Yeah, and so I get that. I don't think, see I think, so this is might sound bad. I think for me, I have to be very conscious about that when it comes to the things that I say, because I have always been the person who, if I think it, I say it. Like in my twenties, it was really bad, like I had no I used to say some wild stuff in my twenties. The fact that I made it through my twenties without getting jumped or shot says a lot. But now I am cognizant of it, and I do stop and I pause and read the room first. But I don't think about doing it, doing things and being kind like that's not my first thought. When I'm in a space of comfort, like when I feel really safe and comfortable, I don't think about anything. It just comes out. I do think about like when I enter a room, I read the room and I see who's in the room, if I know that certain things are gonna offend or not gonna be kind to those so maybe I do not be kind to those people, then I'm not gonna say mean or unkind things around those people about things that might trigger them or upset them. But if it's just me and you, or like me and my friend Lena, me and my friend Susie, I don't have that on it at all, Like I'm just gonna it's coming out, or me and Natalie because now he's bad, I don't.
Speaker 2: I think that when I think about spending time with you, whether we go on a trip, whether I come sit on your living room floor, it is about I am comfortable, I'm about to have a good time, and I think everything else is.
Speaker 1: We are good time girls.
Speaker 2: Yes, we have a good time, like we and the best time we have is when it's not playing.
Speaker 1: We have a good and there's no documentation. Yeah, it's just.
Speaker 2: Because we can't tell about it anyway. And so I think when I'm with you, I get a chance to just come down and just be myself. But I always think about kindness in the way that I communicate and interact because I know I'm very cold, so like because of who I am naturally as a person, and I know that if I am not consciously thinking about that, I will be very, very cold, and that is never mintent. But it's something that my mother has had me work on my whole life, and I think I am that person where once some day I'm all like, I go all the way in. So if I'm cold, i am stone.
Speaker 1: Don't really want to talk with me, leave me, Leave me the fuck alone.
Speaker 2: Just just get this temperature, room temperature.
Speaker 1: And I'm just gonna be luke warming. That is you. Yeah, that is you. And so it's interesting you said that because I and this is probably why it works. We're like Yin and yang. Like I'm naturally warm. Yes, I'm naturally very thoughtful. Yeah, not to say you're not thoughtful and loving, but you are not. Excuse me, you're not walking in the room saying I'm gonna be thoughtful on loving to everybody in this room. You have to think let me And that's how I am with my filter. Okay, I am walking in the room saying, before you start talking, Mimi, just look around and just case the joint and make sure that you don't say anything crazy. That people are gonna be like exactly, They're gonna be like, you crazy, what is this lady talking about? And even though it still happens, but I can filter it a little bit because even your husband says, Mimi just says anything. She just say anything on her mom. That girl crazy. My family has always said that to me ever since I was a kid, that girl is crazy. Because I'm in a space of comfort, I feel safe, so like my bras off, I'm relaxed, my shoes off, I can take my glass like, I don't have to process. And I love being in spaces like that because I can just be me. I don't like, I don't like to have to think about that, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you know it's funny that you say that, because that has translated into my line of work, like I have to consciously always think about what I'm saying because typically what I say is not what I'm thinking. No, it's usually totally separate that I'm operating in moment.
Speaker 1: And the funny part is that people people really really believe that they know you as a human being. You don't, I'll say that people don't, But I think that that is amazing, not that I don't. Not that you're not being your authentic self, but I think that you have mastered understanding how to give people enough. That is something that I have been working on with my therapist for the past three years because I used to just give people everything in relationships, friendships, my familiar relationships take all of me. But I know now that that's a part of a self worth issue. If you take all of me, you gotta it's got to be something about me that you'll want to like and hold on to you. Now, I don't really give a fuck. You can take it, you can leave it because I like it. Yes, yeah, I love it all. So that's a different I'm in a totally different space. But I appreciate that you know how and you have actually helped me to work on that because you know. And when I don't like people, it ain't a secret. It's loud. I don't say much, but it's loud that I I don't like you. I've mastered how to I could not like people and they sit right next to me and they'll never know.
Speaker 2: Because that's important.
Speaker 1: But what's the point, Yes, why do they need to know? They do? They don't need to have all that information. About now. Absolutely. I always say that I feel like our friendship is special. I feel like the friendships that I have, And you always say you got so many friends, You got a lot of friends, But I don't you call them off. I call them all friends. And I'm starting to be cognizant of that and working on calling people homegirls. And you know, I don't like the word acquaintance because it sounds like work. Yeah, I get it, I mean, but I don't know what to say. But it goes back.
Speaker 2: To like you and I just cut different because of the kind of work that I do, because of how I was raised. I'll say, quick, it's a lady at my job. That's so. And you might say, well, my friend at my job, and I'd be like, no, she's not my friend, she's And then you'll ask me, is she like your friends? And I know she's a lady at my job. I'm really nice to her, and I think that she is. She has great talents, but she's not friend. She's not coming to my house. And I'm very clear when someone asks me like, oh, do you think we could spend some time together?
Speaker 1: No? But would you like to go to lunch? No? You tell them. No, Yes, that's amazing that you do.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I'm still through that and I sell them in front of you. I'm sure you've heard many conversations with someone say well, we should do this together or whatever. No, you should probably figure that out and then send me an email you're so nice nasty. Well, I'll be serious because then I won't waste time.
Speaker 1: Because you don't like that.
Speaker 2: Biggest is like my biggest pet peep, And I know I got to get better at that, but I like it.
Speaker 1: I've learned from it because I've used to waste a lot of time and energy on other people and other people's thoughts and other people and for what, Where's the return on my investment? You know that's my favorite thing to say, where's the return on my investment? Where what am I getting back? I just think that I feel bad when I think about people who don't have any friends. There was this thing on the internet a couple of months ago where this lady was saying she feels touched deprived. Wow. Yeah, it made me really sad for her. She was a black woman too, and you saw it. She was crying and she was saying that she feels touched deprived and that, you know, she said something that was a little aggressive about how women with children who say that they're overstimulated, I hear that whatever it is, it's fine, it's real life. Real life is happening all around us. She said that she was touched deprived, and she didn't want to hear any commentary from women who have kids who said that they are overstimulated because they don't know her struggle. And the truth of the matter is that, you know, I don't know what it's like to be touched deprived. I work around nine hundred and fifty people every Monday through Friday. But it made me really sad for her, and I feel sad for people who don't have connections, whether it's a friend, a family member, the Maleman who you got to have, a person or two or three or four. Have people that you can go to when you are feeling like you are at your lowest of low, and they will welcome you with open arms, and they're not gonna judge you, that's right. They're not gonna try to convince you that your low could have been changed if you would have just did this. Just come on in here and be low. I'm gonna get down here with you on a low. Would you like some tea or some ice cream?
Speaker 2: You know something that like what you're saying to me, that kind of like really sticks to my heart. That I love about you is that you. I've watched you grow into a place where you take what you need. And this world needs more women that do that. So this idea of being this idea of being touched deprived for you, that can't exist. No, because if you need it, you're gonna take it.
Speaker 1: Yes I will, And.
Speaker 2: So this idea, yes I will, taking like life into your own hands and being okay with like we don't have children, like we're doing.
Speaker 1: All right, listen, let me tell you something about Let me tell you something. We are the aunties that the mamas be jealous of. Can you watch my kid? Absolutely not, because I'm going to get on a plane or when will you be back? Yeah, take them. I will take the kid and I will take her to dance. I will take her. I have a god daughter, I have a few god children. Okay, let me say that it's probably best that if you want to be my godchild, that we be related because I'm gonna see you at functions. You know I'm gonna see you a rank. Okay, I will take the god child to the dance. I will pick her from cheer this summer. I'm gonna take her because she's been showing off a little bit. I'm gonna take her this summer. We're gonna do some things. But when are you coming to get her? Can I drop her off with her when she was younger? And I mean, they understand what it is if I don't have children on my own. What makes people think I want to spend time with your people? They believe it.
Speaker 2: And I'm gonna tell you this. I think what happens when it comes to god kids and I can talk talk with you about this because we both don't have kids, is that I am a godmother because I'm supposed to step in when your parents can die.
Speaker 1: When your parents that was agg AGGI see what I mean. I told y'all. I told y'all I would say when they die, that's when you call me.
Speaker 2: No like when you need support. But if you if your parent is alive and well and floating all around and having a good time, don't call me unless it's for the for of recital or you want me to come to the ceremony, and I ain't gonna come to the ceremony. I could bring you a gift after the ceremony. You do not have to prioritize me. But I am very clear that I'm not your mom, nor am I trying to be your mind. Absolutely not.
Speaker 1: And call me when you need me, if you need me, if you can't pick them up, call me, yes, if you And that's not just about god children, that's about any child in my life when you need SI.
Speaker 2: Don't call me about any child in my life. See, And that's golded back to the wa children.
Speaker 1: Like in my family. Get clear, because I don't really have I don't really have a lot of friends with kids. One but two my friends with kids, they you know, if they called me to help them with their kids, they need help because they know. Don't call Auntie me me because I am not watching no west children.
Speaker 2: Well, first question they're gonna ask us, are you here?
Speaker 1: Yes? Well for you, yes, So let me tell you about my friend Crystal. She decided that in August she was gonna quit her job. She does relatively well for herself and her and her husband. She and her husband let me use proper creammer she and her husband decided that for nine months they were going to trapes around the globe. And not that they're new to traveling, they've been traveling. That is kind of one of she and I's like bonding things is that we goes. We traveled, and it wasn't a thing where like she had never been anywhere before we started traveling, or I had never been anywhere before. We've always liked traveling, even before we started traveling together. And another thing to I digress, And we'll get to this when we start talking about the trip, But you got to know who you're traveling with. We'll get back to that inside.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's go back to that, right.
Speaker 1: Okay, what was I talking about? This happened. I decided, Oh you, she decided to quit her job. She and her husband decided that they were going to trape so all around the globe and just travel for nine months. And she was just gone. It was just like that, she left me.
Speaker 2: I did not leave you, you did you? I talked to you, If not every day, at least five days out of the.
Speaker 1: Week, we probably talked six days at Okay, we talked almost every day. Okay, if it wasn't text, FaceTime, or a phone call. Mostly FaceTime and text. Because you were away and you were everywhere. Where'd you go?
Speaker 2: I went to Australia, I went to South Africa. I went to Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Vanzibar, Kenya, Kenya, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Nambia, Zambia.
Speaker 1: Namibia, Namibia, Namibia, Zambia. And let me just segue, okay, because I was supposed to say this in my first episode when I was shouting out all the countries that have supported me or have listened. I was supposed to give a big shout out to excuse me Namibia. And one of my friends reminded me, you did not shout out in Namibia because I was actually charting in the media for like three weeks to them. So go ahead. So you went to Namibia. Then you were in Europe. You went where.
Speaker 2: Buda past London.
Speaker 1: I went.
Speaker 2: I went to France, Sweden, Fain, Sweden, Finland.
Speaker 1: Uh, you went to Spain. Did you go to Portugal? No?
Speaker 2: Yes, I went to Portugal.
Speaker 1: You did. I don't really want to go to Portugal. I'm still a little bitter about the whole slave trade thing. But that's another That's.
Speaker 2: One another episode stuff, But nonetheless, we had a good time.
Speaker 1: It was good.
Speaker 2: I was able to kind of take a few steps back, and it's been good. Life has been good to me.
Speaker 1: You deserved it because you work really hard. I've watched you work really hard for like the past ten years. I mean, you got your doctorate. Uh, You've gotten promotions and elevated and elevated and elevated. You're one of the hard working, most hardworking, if not the hardest working person that I know. Thank you absolutely, and thank you for taking that as a compliment because oh I'm about to cry.
Speaker 2: No crying, okay, because we are having a party today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you know me, I cried at it don't matter if it's a party, if it's a funeral, if it's a day party, a night party. We drinking, we laugh, and I'm gonna cry because it's what I did. It's a part. But I am really proud of you, and people, I feel like friends don't say that to friends enough. I'm really proud of you, and it has been really inspirational to watch you just grind out. I was so glad. I was so sad when you left, but I was so happy when you left because I was happy just to see you walk away, even if it was just temporarily or for a time, just walk away from everything and everybody and focus on you and you and your husband just go and be together and have a good time. I was so fucking happy about that. Was so sad that you left, but I was so happy for you, and I'm glad. I'm glad you're back. Though.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm quite ok.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we digress. So about friendships. I think we've talked a lot about friendships. I think that what would you say to people? I want to do a series on how to build friendships, and I want to have you on again, and I want to have Natalie on again, because Nellie and I have been friends since we were twelve, Since I was twelve and she was well thirteen, we've been friends for thirty years, and you and I have been friends for twenty five years. I don't understand. And friendships go through ups and downs. And you know me, one thing that I will tell you about me, cross me, cross me, and I'm gonna walk away. But I don't walk away immediately. You got to, you got to. I gotta be putting up with some shit for a minute, and then I'm just gonna be like I got to detach and I don't care if you're my mother, my father, my sister, my brother, my uncle, my cousin, the Maleman who you are. Like, Once I decide that I don't want like I can't put up with or I can't deal with certain aspects of what you are sharing or what your energy is, I have to move back because it makes me feel uncomfortable or unsafe. Okay, right, and so I for people just a small portion. What do you think is the most important aspect of having a healthy friendship, a healthy, long lasting friendship because we don't even argue, But that don't mean we don't get on because you got on my nerves in Paris a little bit. Once what I do to you, I don't remember, That's what I'm saying, Like it don't mat And you know I'm a grudge holding bitch. You know I hold on to a grudge. I do, I do. I am who I am. You know I'm not with flaw. I hold on this stuff. I don't even remember what you did.
Speaker 2: I think like.
Speaker 1: Just because I wasn't mad, I just think like being.
Speaker 2: Okay with the fact that it's I see long lasting relationships sort of like marriage, right, Like, I'm not planning to leave you, So you are going to get on my nerves. Yes, And I'm going to get on your nerves and that's okay because I'm not leaving you. And so like this thing, and we've talked about this before, like when something happens in a relationship that I care deeply about, I'm going to go back to addressing. I want you to know that I am upset about this has hurt my feelings. I will openly say that now, I be honest. I think that has something to do with how I was trained trying to be a social worker, like the traditional training of you speak up about how you feel. But I got to care enough to speak up, and so what ends up happening in my case over time, I don't have a lot of people in my life that I care enough about to tell them okay, so when you do, when I do, it is a big deal. I'm falling out. I might fall out for two weeks, three weeks.
Speaker 1: I will fall.
Speaker 2: Out because because I have I trust and have invested in that relationship.
Speaker 1: I get that.
Speaker 2: And so I think the number one thing to accept in your long term relationships. Is this is something that I'm intending to be with for the rest of my life.
Speaker 1: I think the word that you said, intending is rooted in a word that I use all the time on this show, intention intention. And I think about because I've lost some friendships as an adult. I have walked away from some friendships or I've had some friendships walk away from me, and when they walked away, I did not follow up. And I think that some of that is rooted in my own trauma. I have quite a bit of abandonment trauma. When people walk away from me, I don't because it is way too It's a little too triggering for me. And I just feel like, if you can walk away from me, then we probably don't belong together no more. Because how you gonna I mean not the you know, but how you gonna walk away from me? Yeah, you walk away from this because this is prime time beef over here, baby. I got, this is good stuff. I got. I mean, I just do. I think that I'm a good friend. I think that I'm a good I'm probably not the best daughter, but I think that I'm a good daughter. I was an amazing granddaughter. I'm a great niece. You know, I'm a great colleague. Quite a few of my coworkers would not agree with that, but I don't really care because I don't like them anyway. But I think that I'm a I think I'm a good person and I do strive to be a good person. Am I a perfect person? Absolutely not. So I just feel like if somebody, if people want to leave, they should just leave. And I'm the same way with men and relationships, like if you want to go, go and I mourn it and I grieve it, and sometimes the grief is extensive, like I'm mourn it and I grieve it, and I grieve it and then like I'm changed because of it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, I think for me, it's more about control in that way, like based on who I am as a person.
Speaker 1: So you and I have that like yours might be a little more intense though, so my intention is.
Speaker 2: To be with you forever. So I don't think that is starker ish. But what I what I will say it does for the other person is building security for them.
Speaker 1: So like you uild in security and security not build in security.
Speaker 2: No, it's built in seccurity. So because you know me, and the intention is that we're going to be friends until we're really really old walking through pairs together.
Speaker 1: All I keep saying, or die. I don't know, because I.
Speaker 2: Don't know why you're thinking about dying, because we got so much living today.
Speaker 1: Old people die, Yeah, but they live too, Yeah they do. You're right, Okay, you're right. I'm sorry, you're right. Go ahead.
Speaker 2: So that being said, I can have an argument with you as my friend or disagreement with you, and the thought is never that I'm going to leave you. That's really important in relationships. Yes, so you don't want to have a bad I can't imagine you having an argument with me that's going to lead to me never talking to you again.
Speaker 1: I agree, And so because of that, But I think that's because of maybe it's because of the way you are in the relationship with me, but also I just think because of our relationship. Like when you were like, what did I do in pairs? I don't fucking know. It was so dumb, yes, and it wasn't even a thing. Yeah, it was just like, oh my god. And if I could be really honest, it was probably me because I'm moody as hell.
Speaker 2: Wow, I think also we have to take into account that we are.
Speaker 1: Very be a woman of a certain ages and.
Speaker 2: We're talking about it and we're going to the doctors about it and so it's a thing, and so just kind of providing that grace. But I feel like with relationships, whether it is besties or whether it is husband and wife, for whether it's sisters, how my relationships work is that the people who I intend to be with forever, they know it, and I'm not giving up on them real easy. Even if you do something real crazy and you say some crazy stuff to you people and I'm right there and I'm like, okay, sorry about that, and I'm like, you cannot do that, but I stop loving you, and you never but it never crosses your mind that I'm gonna stop loving you.
Speaker 1: Does it go back to where we started From the very beginning of this conversation, we talked about being You said being very reflective, and I said, being very authentic. Yes, I think that at the root of who I am. You know who I am. So if I say to somebody, and I have I called somebody a fat, funky bitch before?
Speaker 2: Wow, was that kind?
Speaker 1: No? It was? So it was stop it was terrible, and I apologize and I apologize for you, and I said, I'm so sorry about sorry. It was a gentleman I said that to him. Part of the reason I think I said it one, I was drunk, okay, but that person was very unkind to you, So yeah, I know it was so. But the same way you are about your control, I'm highly My loyalty is a on a psycho lens. Don't fuck with my people.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Oh you want to be rude, so my my best friend. Oh okay, I'm gonna get you later. Don't worry about it because I'm gonna let the I'm gonna let this titos do to talking later. And I called him a fat, funky bitch. To be fair, he did smell bad. Guys, Okay, was that kind? No, you shouldn't have did I should not have said that. It was so mean. And I don't want you guys out here. I don't want my friends and can't thinking that I'm mean because I'm not. But you know when the roomies in the system ain't no telling no, no, don't use that no.
Speaker 2: No, no, you were gonna you wanted to tell him that forever, but you shouldn't. But we were not, so be fair, go back.
Speaker 1: Okay, we were at a bar. We were at a bar.
Speaker 2: We were not at like a work setting. He is not a friend.
Speaker 1: He is not a friend. He is not a friend.
Speaker 2: He is not a friend. And he was in close proximity for no reason. And so you know, sometimes.
Speaker 1: And he smelled. Not at that time though, but.
Speaker 2: Sometimes when you put yourself in places you know you shouldn't be, things happen, especially when you're around me. Period. No, it don't matter if it was you or somebody else.
Speaker 1: Don't go places you're not welcome. Ooh see and see. So let me just say this, Okay, really, let me just say this. People don't know you're the nasty one, you're the mean one. No, I'm just the one who I'm gonna say it without warning. I'm not gonna think twice. I'm gonna just say, get your fat, funky ass away from me. That was so fucking not kind. And you know what, I would like to take this time. He probably isn't listening to this, but if perchance he is, I want to apologize because that was wrong and I should not have said that to you. And oh man, I just shouldn't have said. It was kind of messed up. So I apologize to you, sir for saying, get your fat fun kiss away from me.
Speaker 2: Well, I apologize already.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when it happened, she apologized. She was like, oh my god, I'm so sorry. She was like, get your ass out of here. We gotta go, and she grabbed me by my hood and like dragged me out and we got out. Yeah, and we were safe. Yes, I felt safe even though you were. I was in a safe stage at that point. I just think that it goes back to just being authentic, like we were saying, like, I know that I can say. I feel like I could say almost anything around you. Yeah, and you would not hold it against me, against my life, against my I could say something to you about somebody that you care about, yes, because you know that I am not malicious. You know that. Like if I came here and I told you, oh, so and so I saw them, and I saw them and I think I saw him doing some drugs and I'm afraid that they about to be on drugs. You got to do something. You know. I'm not lying, No, you know I'm not making it up.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not that girl. Though, No, I'm not that girl. If you saw it, it happened, I don't need to ask them. I'm just going for them. If you saw it, it happened. She not about to call me, you know. To be fair, I don't have people in my circle that are close to me like you are that if they if my sister calls me, if you call me it happened, I'm not about to ask you where was. I'm not going to ask you where you were. I'm just gonna deal with you when I see you. It's no questions and all this that's too much. I don't even need to know. And I'm a girl who does not love the details. And we always talk about that.
Speaker 1: So I love details.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I may not ask you all of the details because I don't need to know them.
Speaker 1: It's so funny that you say that, because we also always talk about like if you see your friends man out with somebody, are you going to tell them? And I am not always the girl who will automatically tell depending on who the person is, and you are like, no, I'm gonna tell depending on who the person is. Yes, because all women and all men or all people, some people you can't tell that stuff because you'll be jammed up. Yeah, you will be jammed up. You fuck around and look up and they not speaking to you no more.
Speaker 2: And I'm good with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. See, I told you it was heir, and that's fine. If she doesn't talk to me again, I don't care.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I'm good with that. I think you know. For people that I care about, I'm gonna tell you you can do what you want with the information. But if you know me, well, you know, I don't have a lot of details. I might take a picture for you. I didn't go exe the girl what her name was. I did not ask him where he was supposed to be. I am going to make sure that he knows I I saw him. Yeah, because then I want him to be uncomfortable when he's around me again, because you're playing with my friends or you're playing with my sister who and so I have no problem with the person being mad, because if you're that man, you don't want to talk to me. You were never meant to be with men.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you like? I also like, what the fuck do I got to lie for? I don't want your man? Oh, I mean, some ladies you be thinking you want that man? Now I got my own man. Yeah, I don't hear a lot the man. I don't. I got a couple of men's that I'll be playing around with as one of them might be somebody else's man. I don't know, but I understand that's none of my business.
Speaker 2: That's not your best.
Speaker 1: But like I don't, I don't be out here scouting for other people's men because sometimes they like, it's not even worth it.
Speaker 2: Well, I was gonna say, be very careful for what you scout out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because sometimes it's not even worth the time.
Speaker 2: And the husband and a wife because I'm a wife, might say, go ahead and take him, thank you please?
Speaker 1: Can you take him on Thursday, Saturdays and Mondays please, so that I can have some time to watch myself. I would like to watch my television programs and to eat some ice cream alone, because he wants to eat all of my ice cream. So we went on trip. We have been on many trips together. Where have we gone together? We've been on cruises.
Speaker 2: So what about the coronication that we went on that was amazing?
Speaker 1: You've been on my family reunion cruises? Yes, at the top. This is just to go to show how crazy we are. I launched this podcast on March the first of twenty twenty. All right, right on, I want to say it was March the thirteenth is when they sent us home early. It was a Friday. I think it was the thirteenth. They said, don't come back to work. We don't know when we're coming back because this is a problem. This is March the thirteenth on a Friday. This fool calls me on Saturday morning and says, do you want to go to the Bahamas? And I'm like, wait, what do you mean? And historically I've gotten so much better, But historically I am scared of everything, and I just kind of I used to I used to kind of just move from a place of fear, like fear and anxiety and just being afraid of uncontrolled outcomes. Right, I'm not really like that as much anything gotten better I have. She calls me and I'm like, wait what now? At this point, I'm just one month in the therapy with my phenomenal therapist, so I'm like, what do you mean. I was like, oh my god, it's a federal mandate. We can't go anywhere because it's they're saying that it's an epidemic or a pandemic. We can't go. You were like, do you want to go or not? I was like, okay, let's go. Let's it doesn't It doesn't take a lot to convince me. Our crazy asses left the United States on the seventeenth of March. Now they had already said stay in the house. People were running around buying toilet paper, milk, butter, eggs, bread. We are going on a trip to an all inclusive resort in the Bahamas. Your sister shout out to my guy, Ashley, Your sister made us T shirt and I still have mine that said coronication and they had black sparkles, they were neon yellow. They were amazing and we wore them and we went to this all inclusive and nobody was there and it was amazing. And that was on the seventeenth and we came back on that Saturday and we almost got stuck in the Bahamas. We were on the last flight out before they closed the airport. Day. First of all, let's just talk about God's favor over our friendship. Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, because God covers us every time, every time, because we and you know what, it's always some ship going on when it's us. But it was good.
Speaker 2: It was amazing because think about all of the people who were runing around getting toilet paper.
Speaker 1: We had our feet up, my feet up, and there was toilet paper in the bathroom, in the room.
Speaker 2: Drinks.
Speaker 1: Yes, we had a drink called the Marijuana or something. Yes, and it was called the Marijuana. It was amazing, It was amazing. It had no marijuana in it. No. No, we had a very good time. There was a tour there from like Canada or something, all those young kids, some kind of business. We had a very, very very good time. But we always do so. We have been to all throughout the Caribbean, Mexico multiple times. We went to Puerto Vallada. We went through hell to get there. We got there. We had an amazing time. You were doing your water yogas. We went to all those fake not fake those you know how you got to go to those meetings for time shapes. Yes, and we got all these free massages and it was amazing. I gat ten pounds on that trip. It was rough. It was rough, but we recently I always talked about how much I love pairs. I love pairs, and you always say parents. It's like it does Yeah, it does smell that. So but it's okay. I love it. So we went to Paris to see Beyonce. I am not in the beehive. You are not either.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I feel like I got close to the beehive this last time. You got stuck. I might got it. I might got a little honey coming from the end. I don't. And you got something to me in a minute. Let me tell my own I was about to say, let me tell my own story telling. So, but you have seen Beyonce multiple times in concert, yes, and so I've always been the person like if things are super like bandwagony, it's like I don't want to be a part of it. I am not of the ilk of people who are anti Beyonce. I think Beyonce is a phenomenal entertainer. I think she can sing her ass off. She's beautiful. I definitely think that she had some work done to her body. But that's fine, because if I was a multi millionaire and I could get the best care, I would go get a handcrafted body as well. I'm not against that. What I am against, though, is ladies who go and get these bodies surgeries and stuff, and it looks bad.
Speaker 2: You should have just kept Beyonce.
Speaker 1: Back to Beyonce. Sorry, but they got to stop with these surgeries is getting out of control. But anyway, back to Beyonce. So I'm not excuse me, sorry somebody who is anti Beyonce. I've always liked her, even though my college boyfriend he really liked her, but he loved light skinned girls with long hair. He had a thing for those kinds. He didn't really end up with one, though.
Speaker 2: Oh well sometimes I had yeah, but he didn't end up with me.
Speaker 1: Thank the Lord for that.
Speaker 2: Jesus, Jesus, Jesus.
Speaker 1: The Lord is good. God is good to me. But anyway, so we did we we say, when we find out she's having a show, We're like, oh, do you want to go? We should go? We should go? We we should? We should? We should? We should? We should go. And I'm thinking to myself, I've never seen Beyonce, but if I'm gonna go, I'm gonna go. I wanted to be an experience. I don't just want to go see her in Landover or go see her at the ball Tomorro Arena, or go see her in like Philadelphia. I wanted you be an experience, right, and so I was like, we should go away and go see her, and you were like, yes, we shouldn't. So then you go into your mode, Capricorn mode. You start looking, Oh, we're gonna go here, We're gonna go here, Da da, And I'm just thinking. We were talking to my little cousin, Lindsay. Shout out to Lindsay, Linda. She's my fath she's my boo. And so she's like, do you guys really want to go because you really need to get on it. And I was like yeah. And you always plan trips like I don't really like group trips, but I go on group trips with your friends and your families like twenty of Us. I have a great time every single time. And you always plan everything because you travel a whole lot, so you're used to planning stuff. So I'm like, she gonna take care of it. I'm not gonna worry about it. I don't know where you went. You were at some conference you were presenting, and you were like, oh, here's the Beyonce stuff. Da da, And I was like, you know what, I'm not gonna wait on her because she's gonna mess around and we ain't gonna be able to go.
Speaker 2: I had over bought the plane tickets.
Speaker 1: No, no, I bought the ticket tickets first, and then as soon as I got the ticket tickets, you sent me this thing. And I was looking, and I was you were like, well they got some tickets for one hundred and thirty five dollars, and so I saw. I started looking and I was like, we ain't gonna be able to see nothing. You were you couldn't for some reason. You always answer all my text messages. You respond to me, but you did not respond. And I was like, I can't wait for her, like I got a yeah, you were presenting you were, and I was like, I can't wait. And I was like, well should we do she shit? And I said, you know what, let me just do it because she's always doing everything and everybody's always looking to her to do it and expecting her to do the planning and expecting her to buy the thing, and expecting her I'm gonna do at this time because that's something that you know, you don't have to worry about. Yeah, And in my mind, I was just like, let me do something kind and take something off of her plate that she don't even have to worry about. I'm gonna just pull up in the plug. This is me trying to live in this new don't be afraid, just do it. Thing right?
Speaker 2: You got this?
Speaker 1: Yes, well I did, and I got them tickets and I text you back and I was like, we're going to see Beyonce and Paris. Here are the tickets. We need to get airplane tickets in a hotel. And you were like what And I was like, yeah, we going here, go to tickets. You said, oh my god, they're so expensive. I thought they were going to be one hundred and thirty five dollars. I said, well they not, so let's go. And within three hours we had plane tickets and we went to see Beyonce on May the twenty six in Paris, and we went, let's start with the airline. Let's talk about that. Oh my God, Jesus to the Lord of Christ. So listen, friends, I don't, I don't. I don't want to talk bad about nothing, okay, because that's not our booth. I fly Spirit Airlines. I don't have a problem with Spirit Airlines at all. But Play Airlines is like the Spirit of Europe.
Speaker 2: It's just so bad.
Speaker 1: It's bad. And here's why it's bad. It's not bad because it's bad. It's bad because there are rules around flying on Spirit airlines. For me, I'm not flying more than three and a half hours on a Spirit flight unless you said you don't mind an overnight red eye from like Laye because you sleep.
Speaker 2: I'm sleep the whole time.
Speaker 1: I get that, so I don't think I would mind that. But in the daytime, I'm not flying more than three to three and a half hours on Spirit. I'm just not. They be switching your flights. They do this. It sounds like a lawnmower. Sometimes sometimes Southwest.
Speaker 2: Does the same thing.
Speaker 1: They have delayed American. I think that people just come for Spirit because it's a budget airline, that's what it's called.
Speaker 2: I think also because it's easy and I'm gonna be on switching. I think people come. I think people come for Spirit as well who don't travel a lot, Like so you go away once a year, you should be flying Delta like you should be premier class. Yes, you should be saying.
Speaker 1: Ultimately be a premium business class so you could get all the things because you only go one a year. Yeah, But if you're going four or five six times a year. Listen, I got to spread this out.
Speaker 2: There are months where you have traveled three times and three or four times in a month. So let's say you did that for twelve months. We're talking about sixty forty eight to sixty flights. That's much different than I'm going one place for the whole year. You should save up your coins, you should. You should fly premium, premium, you should.
Speaker 1: You should have your emirates.
Speaker 2: Let's check this out. You should go ahead and get your own jet. That's right. Are yourself so like people who do that? And also like people this is a very American concept. They like this idea of being an elitist and so and so if they make my stomach, well, you know it's not so if you I can't fly spirit because I can't. But guess what, I didn't watch people who on this Instagram talking all contentration. I said, oh baby, she getting on spirit with us, Lady with this red.
Speaker 1: Bottoms in this Hey girl, you know what, it's funny you said that because I gotta tell this story, and I got a segue. Can you please tell us what happened myself and my friend Candace. She's been on this show multiple times. Hilarious, hilarious. She's one of my funniest friends, but hands down my funniest friend is Susie. Susie is is. She makes me laugh to the point where the laugh doesn't even come out. But anyway, Candis are at this bar. This is a huge segue, but it's about being elitist or being like so to do, but you're not. Okay, We're at the bar. A couple comes in. They are white, maybe Jewish because you know of the area I was in, but well to do. She had a Chanel bag. She had a cute little sheath pink dress on. She had blonde hair, it was curled perfectly. He looked nice, like he was coming from his job. He had on loafers with no socks, a nice polo, some khakis and they sat at the bar. When she sat at the bar, I saw the bottom because I am a details girl. I looked at them. She had on red bottoms and lu batons and I was like, okay, sis is in here. She got the Chanelle bag, the lubatons, herner bou at the bar. Okay, honey, she had on slang backs. Them feet looked like she had been walking twelve years a slave with no shoes on. They were gray the huss as my grandmother used to call it, the huss And for you guys who don't have old black grandmother's huss on your feet is just calloused skin. Okay, white, yes, crust crust white. But this lady's was crusted and white, but with a grayish black film over it. That ain't the kind of dirty feet that you get because you just was walking around with no shoes on for a day. Twelve years of slave. She was walking around with no shoes on. It was aggressive. It was aggressive, and that's all I wanted to say. I just wanted to share them.
Speaker 2: She had the spirit of long suffering.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the fool. She had the spirit of long suffering on her feet. Yeah it was bad. Yeah, back to Paris and be okay, play airlines us go. I don't want to do it, and.
Speaker 2: We never doing it. Yeah, I don't care where we were not going.
Speaker 1: We could we could do play if you go from like Paris to London, that's we could do.
Speaker 2: No, we're just.
Speaker 1: Gonna catch the train. You just don't want to do play.
Speaker 2: Ever, I don't want to do that. I didn't like it very much. It wasn't good nice outfits. Though you like their outfits. You kept saying, I said, I don't like. I kept telling them, I said, oh my god, I love your outfit. No, and they don't have good snacks to buy. So that's because it's based out of No. No, they still didn't have a variety. They didn't, And so we gotta be fair because you and I do not mind spending a couple of coins, but what we want, we spend money like we sell dope. We do it.
Speaker 1: Shout out, shut out, shout out to uh Brianna of stupid stink. These hoodies to wear in Paris that literally say spending money like I sall dope dope and we never put them on, and we owe you a nice best friend picture with those hoodies on. And we don't make it happen, and we're gonna make it happen. I'm gonna make a happy We are.
Speaker 2: Grateful, absolutely, thank you, Thank you, brill.
Speaker 1: So friends and Ken for today. Straight backs question. It is coming from Mobile, Alabama, and it goes and I'll just get straight into it. I'll start this off by saying I'm a private person who likes to separate my personal life and my professional life. One of my coworkers sent me a friend request on Facebook a few months ago. Chill. I hate when they do that. I politely rejected the request and went on about my day. About a day later, I see another request from this same colleague stalker mache. Later in the week, I was eating lunch with my work friends when the colleague who sent me the friend request came in and brought up the fact that she thought we were cool, but she noticed I kept rejecting her friend requests on Facebook. I smiled uncomfortably and quickly excused myself from the table. What should I or what should my reply be when I see her again? Mariah? It's real simple, Mariah. You don't owe anybody anything. You don't owe her an explanation. She is not your god, she is not your boss, she is not your leader. If you don't want to be her friend on Facebook, and you ain't got to be her friend on Facebook. Do you know how many coworkers I have sitting in Facebook friend requests? Limbo, You don't have to accept anybody. They don't have to be your freaking friends. You don't owe them anything, Yo, if you want to not be uncomfortable, you can clearly say I just don't like to mix my personal life and my professional life and keep it moving. And if she asked you any questions like if some of your coworkers are your friends on Facebook and some are not, you can just say, you know, I'm very selective of who I allow into my social media life, and you can say that should not affect how we interact with each other at work, and that should be it, Like, you don't owe her any goddamn explanations. Like and just a tip going forward, if you don't want to be friends with people on social media, just don't acknowledge the request. Don't hit delete because then they know that you didn't accept it. Just leave it and go on. I think I have like three or four hundred people and friend request jail on Facebook. Just don't accept it and don't delete it. Just leave it right there, Rack them up, rack city, rec city each But that's what I would just say. You don't owe her any explanation, and she better not get get healthy about it, and if so, let her be where she is. I hate a crazy coworker like be easy, sister Bay so friends in him for Today's We Got to Do Better segment. I got our quote from an auntie who is now an ancestor that I had actually never heard of, and so when I saw the quote, I really liked the quote, but I realized, like, I don't know this lady, so of course I had to go look her up. Her name is Marva Delores Collins and she was an American educator. She is best known for creating Westside Preparatory School, which is a widely acclaimed private elementary school in the impoverished Garfield Park neighborhood of Chicago, Illinois, which opened in nineteen seventy five. So I'm thinking that she graduated from Clark Atlanta University, and I'm thinking she had to be a badass to start a private school, a private elementary school, and an impoverished I had a hard time getting that out in an impoverished neighborhood, and as an educator myself, It's funny. I went to this conference about a month or two ago and they were talking about schools and urban settings, and I work in West Baltimore, in the heart of West Baltimore, in the middle of a drug and war gang war zone, right, But when you are at these educator conferences and they are speaking about urban school settings and urban neighborhoods, they're leaving out such a large demographic of students, a large demographic of children, many many communities they're leaving out. When they say urban, they're talking about like Manhattan. They're talking about nice neighborhoods in Boston that are really really close to metropolitan areas. They're not talking about impoverished communities. They're not talking about communities where the people are most of the people are living below the poverty line. They're not talking about neighborhoods with extremely high crime rates, food deserts. You know, it's a whole different conversation, and oftentimes our children are left out of the conversation. So I know, this woman had to be a bad ass to start a private school in an impoverished neighborhood. So I'm going to actually, because of this, I'm going to read up more about Marva Collins, Auntie Marva. But she said, and I quote, trust yourself, think for yourself, act for yourself, speak for yourself yourself, because imitation is suicide. Listen, that was pretty heavy. Shout out to Auntie Marvel I'm a reader to you one more time, just in case you ain't pick up what I was putting down. Trust yourself, think for yourself, act for yourself, speak for yourself, Be yourself, because imitation is suicide. All the time. I talk about how being yourself is vital because it costs too much money to wake up in the morning. And when I say money, I'm talking about time and energy. Money. Okay, brain matter, heart matter, gut matter. It takes up too much of that to try and be somebody else, or to try and be somebody that you create in your head. Just be you. It's so much cheaper, it's so much easier. You don't have to make maintain a lie. You don't have to maintain a false narrative, you don't have to pretend. Pretending is a burden. Just be you, and whoever likes you stays, whoever doesn't, they'll fucking leave. But either way it's fine because you wake up and you can look in the mirror and say, you know, I like that person. And if you don't like that person, please look in the show notes and click on the link in the show notes that says find a therapist. Put in your zip code and psychology today is not paying me. They're not paying for any ads. But I want people to get help psychology today. If you want to pay for some ads space, feel free to do so. Put in your zip code or the zip code of your job or whatever is close to where you want to go and where you want to go for therapy, and go to therapy. It's so awesome. Learn how to like yourself, learn how to love yourself. It's so important so that you live a peaceful life, a joyful life. It's too many of y'all walking around here, man, that just hate yourself and pretending getting up every day, pretending that you love yourself. You don't. And you think that you're fooling people, But in some people you may be fooling it. You ain't fooling me. It's a handful of us that you ain't getting over on. And not that that should matter, because that shouldn't matter. What really should matter is that you want to be in a place where you care about who you are, where you love who you are authentically, where you like who you are. It's one thing to love somebody, it's nothing to like them. Because if you don't like you, who in the hell else is gonna like you. If you don't want to be with you, be around yourself when nobody's around. Who else is gonna want to be around you? Nobody. You can get an animal or a pet, or a goldfish or some plants, but you know they can't really pick up for themselves, and that's kind of sad. Nobody is born to be alone. And take it from somebody who loves to spend time by themselves. I also enjoy spending time with the people that I care about, but because I love being by myself and being alone, like, I know how to walk away from being around other people when I need that time. Just take care of yourself. Man, listen. I need y'all to do better. I'm gonna keep doing better because I mean, I'm not perfect. This is hard work that I do on myself every fricking day, every day, and for three years it was really intense, really intense. Just want I just want us to get to a place where we authentically love who we are contrary to what has been placed upon us that is outside the realm of our control. I just want us to do better. I love y'all. If you don't believe it, trust me.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: I love you, but that don't really mean nothing. If you don't love you, just go gsn't therapy friends Again. The first thing that I want to do is say thank you to God first and foremost, because God is supreme and I recognize and appreciate the grace that God extends me every single day of my black ass life. I want to say thank you to my people. I want to say thank you to each and every one of you that's been rocking with me since day one, ever since March the first of twenty twenty. Thank you, thank you, thank you, and thank you again. I truly appreciate you for being here. And even if you just started listening today, or if you just started listening on June the sixth, or June the thirteenth, or June the twentieth, I thank you for that as well. I'm grateful either way. I am thankful for you being here. I'm thankful for your ears, for your listening ears. Thank but for my family, my friends, my friends, and ken all my supporters, of all of my supporters, and of course and most importantly, every single one of you guys that are out there listening. I love y'all so much, and it is nothing short of an honor for me to share my time and my energy with you. I understand it's an honor for me to be able to share my time and energy with you, especially if you keep coming back to spend time with me over and over again. And I look forward to the next time that we get to do this with one another. Now, before you exit out of whatever streaming service you're using to listen to this, stop for a second. Whatever you're doing, stop right now, and if you haven't already done so, look for a subscribe button or follow button or whatever kind of button that says that you are committed to me. I want you to commit to hand me my Purse. I want you to get married to hand me my Purse. Okay, not really, not really, not really at all. That's why I just stop click on it. But I want you to commit. I want you to get in there and commit, get down and get dirty, and commit. Click on that subscriber follow button whatever it's called, if that's an option on the streaming service where you're listening. Next, I want you to head on over to Instagram and follow me at hand Me my Purse Underscore podcast. Also follow me on Twitter at HMMP Underscore podcast, and on Facebook just search Hand Me My Purse podcast. I'm trying to get better at Twitter and Facebook. Please just bear with me. I'm very very very very engaged on Instagram, but I'm trying to get better on Facebook and Twitter. But if you start talking to me on there, I'm definitely going to talk back to you. So that's how that goes. If you show up, I'm going to show up. Also, if you're listening on a streaming service or medium that allows you to do so, please rate or review the show, give it a thumbs up if you can friends and can be sure to share Hand Me my Purse with your friends, your loved ones, and even that's what you don't like, because the best way for other people to find out about how amazing this show is is by you guys telling them all about it. So tele afriend to telefriend and then have that friend to tele a friend as well. Please submit your questions to the Straight Fact Segment two Hello at hanmimipurse dot com with the subject line straight Facts, or feel free to send me a DM on Instagram or Twitter, and who knows, your question may be featured on an upcoming show. Now, I said that, And I also said that I wanted you guys to send me information about your aunts. And someone sent me something that was so beautiful on Instagram about their aunt and it was someone that I went to high school with. It was a friend from high school. And she said, and I quote, and this is from Carla. It says, I'm listening to your catalog because Sis has a catalog episode fifty one. Thinking about my auntie Regina, she was a pure soul. She was a one person that always has something kind to say, and she was kind of naive to the world in a sense because she thought everyone was good like her and believed that God would fix and save all. Even though my family is from Compton, Compton's in the house, even though my family is from Compton. She didn't have a hood bone in her body. Laugh out loud. She rarely gossiped, but when she did have tea, it was always a big to do and she only said it in person, whispered it, and would always conclude the tea with you didn't hear that from me. It reminds me of Anita Patirell from in Living Color. I didn't want a gossip but you ain't hear that from me? Ah, what does she say? Here we go? She would always conclude the tea with you didn't hear that from me yet the tea would be lukewarm, which always made me laugh, which always made me laugh. She recently passed away from cancer. I'm really sorry to hear that, Carla, and you and your family are in my prayers. It's crazy how God takes the good ones. Just wanted to share I'm very proud of your podcast success and I'm so happy for you, Carla. Thank you so much. That warmed my heart. And again, I'm sorry to hear about your auntie passing away. But you know she's an ancestor now. And you know, I don't know what your spiritual beliefs are, but you know when our ancestors, when our family members transition and they become ancestors in my mind like they're still with us, they're still here. I still talk to mine all the time, and I feel them around me, like watching over me, protecting me. So your aunt re Gina is still here, and sometimes talk to her and give her some tea. You never know now if she talked back, you know, don't be too afraid, but my one jump a little bit. But if you guys have any beautiful stories about your aunts or your aunties that you want to share with me, please send me a DM on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook. I don't really know how to do messages on Facebook from a page, but send me a message, or you can send me an email. And you can send those stories and questions for the straight Fact segment to Hello at handymipurse dot com with the subject line straight Facts, or you could say Auntie's story, or feel free to just send me a damn on Instagram or Twitter. Like I said, who knows your question may be featured on an upcoming show. I'm almost positive that I read that already, and if I did, please forgive me. But now I'm just telling you all over again to do it. Also, just so you know, the music for Handy My Purse is provided by none other than West Baltimore's on Gloomy Tunes. I look forward to you looking forward to listening to hand Me My Purse the podcast each and every Tuesday, and I'm out this bitch piece. Handy My Purse is a production of iHeart podcast. For more shows from iHeart Podcasts, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.