Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Final Hour.
Speaker 2: In this Wednesday, we'll talk to Arkansas head coach John Calipari. Sounds weird to say that. Also Jamal Crawford, Turner's Sports will join us. He's been working out Victor Weimbanyama. I was surprised at that, Marvin Goes. I got some social media pictures where Jamal Crawford's working out with the Victor. I go, let's get him on the show, so he'll join us. Coming up here in a little bit. Celtics prede is set for Friday. We'll have a game six Friday in the Stanley Cup Final, the Oilers over the Panthers five to three. And the passing of the Giants Hall of Famer Willie Mays at the age of ninety three. It's strange to say somebody is far greater than legendary, and to me, Willy Mays was not legendary. He was iconic. And there's a difference in that there's certain athletes in certain sports. You can have a legendary career or you can have an iconic career. And Willie Mays, as we've talked to throughout the show, had an iconic career. It wasn't just he was a spectacular baseball player. Was he was bigger than just being a great baseball player. And he came in four years after Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier. Willie did get some exposure in New York with the New York Giants and then went to San Francisco and played in that god awful Candlestick Park, the windy Candlestick Park. Once again, greatest centerfielder ever, And you factor in the winds and Candlestick and he was still the greatest center fielder ever. Not to mention three hundred stolen bases, six hundred and sixty home runs and batted three hundred the greatest all around player in baseball history. Today's Mercedes Benz Interview the Day brought to you by Mercedes Benz Luxury SUVs. Luxury SUVs now come with a luxury of choice. You got the gas, electric and plug in hybrid offerings. Learn more at mbusa dot com slash special offers. He is the new head coach at Arkansas. It sounds weird. Does it sound weird to you? Or do you passed now that you're the Arkansas head coach, You're you're fine with it? Sounds sounds comfortable.
Speaker 3: No, it's comfortable. Look here's I've been at different jobs, you know. I was at UMass eight years, Memphis nine years, fifteen years at Kentucky. It's dog years now, and I loved it. And it was a great run. We helped a lot of families, won a lot of games, won a lot of league championships, final fours, Elite eights, national titles. Switching, I mean they needed to hear another voice. I wasn't planning on this, but when it came along, kind of like being a ESPN and then other opportunities come along and you say, wait a minute, I got to take advantage of this. Now, let me look. And over a two or three day period, I'm like, they're in the SEC. Two. They got great facilities, they have a great fan base, a great building that seats twenty thousand, great home court, pretty good support as you would know in this corner of Arkansas. The what's here? And then lastly, I got to hire my son. Now he's not one of my top three guys, but he's in. He's on court. He can go out and recruit a little bit and get started, and so a lot of good reasons and I'm excited about it. Let me help another thirty forty families. Then I'll go into doing a podcast. How about we do that?
Speaker 2: But did you did you jump before you were pushed? Can Can we be fair about the situation at Kentucky?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I don't. I don't think that was the case. But and again, it had nothing to do with fans. Fans you go to a nick game and they're playing bad, what are they doing in the second quarter they're doing I mean, fans are fans. Kentucky fans are engaged. They were exactly what you want in a fan. You lose a game you're not supposed to lose, and they're still engaged. So it had nothing to do with that. For me to do what I'm doing, I needed that tailwind, no headwinds. We needed to be able to move in what we were doing. And you know, as far as saying, well they pushed you out, no, I don't think that was the case. But again, let it be good for both. I mean, I had fifteen great years there. Let Mark Pope have fifteen great years. Let me finish how I want to finish. Let me build another program. Let's win another national championship. Let's help another twenty five families. Let me let me do this and you can. You and I've been when you didn't have gray hair. But we've been doing this a long time. And whether I was at UMass you and I you came in and miss jump shots, whether I was at Memphis and we were doing this in Kentucky over the years, I don't know. When I was with the Nets, did we do anything? Yes, oh we did. Yeah, it was after I got fired.
Speaker 4: Me.
Speaker 3: How do you feel now?
Speaker 2: I think I ask you why Kerry Kittles and not Kobe Bryant?
Speaker 3: Yeah you did that? You didn't that for twenty five years?
Speaker 2: Okay, how does Arkansas know you're available? If you're happy at Kentucky.
Speaker 3: A good friend of mine, John Tyson, he and I've been friends for twenty years. Tyson Chicken, Yeah, twenty years, twenty five years. Maybe tried to get me to take the job when I was in Memphis in two thousand and seven. Maybe, And at that time, Dan, if I left, I left players like they were there, and my assistant wasn't going to get the job. I wasn't comfortable just leaving and that was Derek Antonio Anderson, Chris Douglas, Robert Robert Dozer, Joey Dorsey. I can go on the guys that I would have left. So he calls me on a Thursday night. I'm at the Final four and he said, cow, it's Johnny and I said what's up? And he said, I need you to meet with the AD And I said what ad? They said, our a d at Arkansas. And I said, okay, what are we meeting about. Well, he wants to talk to you about candidates and the job and what he's trying to do, and why don't you meet with him? I said, okay, but I'm leaving town at one o'clock on Friday, So we got to meet at eleven eleven thirty and I'll give him an hour. Well, in the conversation, you can imagine if you think this is such a great job, why not you? And he said, give me fifteen minutes to talk about you. And then I looked at my watch and I said, I got to go. I got a guy downstairs who I'm flying with and I got to get down there. And he said, well, I'm not going to do anything till you tell me now, and then we spent two days and I'll give you the conversation that change me. Kelvin Sampson and I've been friends for a long long time. I called Calvin to check on Hunter, the ad who had been at Houston with him. Well, he went crazy. I love him, He's the best, He's this, he's at Okay, okay, but I'm having a hard time because I'm gonna end up leaving players. And Calvin went crazy, what if you leave, they can leave, they can go where they want. They can go with you, they can go pro. What are you talking about. This isn't ten years ago? And then he said the one that got me, And if you stay, they can leave, they can go somewhere else, they can go pro. This is different. And you know what, that got me to think in a different way. And within thirty six hours, I said, you know what, I want this new challenge. I want to help a bunch of families. I want to bring something to that state and that program that explodes the state, and let's go. Let's go do this.
Speaker 2: Okay, Your recruiting philosophy at Kentucky was well known. Your recruiting philosophy at Arkansas is going to be what.
Speaker 3: I can't take seven freshmen until these rules change. Last year our team was average age was nineteen four. The team we played against and teams we played against were twenty four twenty three. We played against twenty six year olds, so that's nineteen as a freshman. He's twenty six. So I am still going to recruit the best freshmen. Probably take three or four, not seven. I can't take that many. You would hope a couple kids will stay and I'll bring in a couple transfers that are a little bit older. I don't want to have twelve guys you know who. I'm doing this like back in the day, a guy named Coach Smith, Dean Smith back in the day recruited for ten eleven and twelve, recruited specifically for that spot. Now, there may be injuries, the guy may be better than everybody thought, he may beat somebody else, but he's being recruited for ten eleven and twelve. I want eight or nine guys on scholarship, and il all that, and then I want ten eleven twelve. We got nine on scholarship. We're adding ten eleven twelve and they'll be good players, but they're not going to be, but it doesn't mean they can't beat somebody out. It's just I'm doing it kind of like North Carolina in the segment. Should I say seventy five eighty eight, Well, he was there till ninety he was doing it most of his career.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's the Arkansas head coach, John Caliperry. Can I have your Kentucky.
Speaker 3: Am You have to say that now, because they don't have anyone who I am.
Speaker 2: I know Arkansas head coach. He used to coach at Kentucky.
Speaker 3: Let me tell everybody, I'm here with Dan Patrick. You may not know him, but you're here with Dan Patty.
Speaker 2: We're both Hall of Famers coach, We're both we're both Hall of famers. All right, Can I have your Kentucky gear? It's gone already, Wait yard sale, come on, tag sail. Well it was in mass I sold No, I sold it.
Speaker 3: I just threw it in my house on I been on couches and all my friends and their kids came over and take what you want. The best items were the Kentucky shoes that had UK on them. Gone. Gave a great there.
Speaker 2: Come on, I could have put out in the man cave.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I got it's gone. It's it's uh.
Speaker 2: Why don't you help my family? You're always talking about helping others other families, What about mine? Why don't you help my family?
Speaker 3: Helped you?
Speaker 2: Well, I paid you to come to us, and so I put I put on an aerial display, and your you just can't acknowledge it. It's okay, Clark Kellogg was there. Clark Kellogg is a religious man who never lies, and he'll tell you the truth what happened that day. Okay, So go here, go ahead, go ahead, mock me, go live, living in denial, living in denial. Yeah, that's what you're doing. Okay. When Dan Hurley is entertaining the Lakers and vice versa, your thought was.
Speaker 3: I really like Danny, so I wanted what he wanted for he and his family. But he's in an unbelievable spot and he has a chance to keep that going. The only thing I thought that maybe play a part is in college basketball, at the end of every year, every kid is a free agent. Everyone. This is like being an NBA coach. Your season ends, you don't have anybody in the contract. They're all able to go and go and do what they want and then the nil knowing how that's playing out, and Danny, I know, And it was funny because Danny said, man quit wine and we're all making all this money. I'm more where. I'm fine here at Arkansas. But what if I were at UMass. What if Danny was still at Rhode Island, He'd be saying that, like to get guys to stay. So that would have been the only reason that I thought he would say. You know what, I don't want to deal with this. Some guys have retired. I'm just trying to be the best at this situation. The playpen we're in. How do we have the best toys? I mean, that's it isn't what I'd want, more guardrails, you know, I want kids to make money. You know high that is. But it's like, Okay, let's get it organized. Let's get organized, let's get guardrails. Let's figure out how this we don't hurt kids by what we're doing.
Speaker 2: Well, I wonder if we can get to a point where you sign a two year deal to go to college, and can can can we do something that like nil deals that your contract is for two years, or like, is there any give me a solution? You know, you're saying, let's solve it, give me a solution.
Speaker 3: First of all, I've been saying for five years.
Speaker 2: Now you're putting up ten fingers. That's ten. There you go, that's fine. That's FI.
Speaker 3: Five Pittsburgh five years to play, Yins, five years to play four, five years to play four. Which is the way it was when you played back in the forties.
Speaker 4: I mean, you had.
Speaker 3: Five years to play for If you got injured, you got an extra year. If you got red shirted, you got an extra year. What if you got hurt three different years? Buzzard luck, my man. I don't know what to tell you. This is amateur basketball right now. They just cleared Danza a player to play football for his ninth year. So I'm playing in a game last year where the guy making the shots is twenty six years old. Should have been out of school three years maybe four. So let's get back. We can do that now. They said, well, COVID and all stop. You're giving waivers to everybody five years to play four. Solved sixty seventy percent of our problem.
Speaker 2: You know what would have solved the problem is somebody guarded that guy during.
Speaker 3: The true made fo shots and all that, Yeah, let's not go back to that because I'm still sick over CoA. She's all I told Hunter the ad here. You know, I'm still hacked off over that game, he said. And I'm not happy, he said, Well, I'm happy. I'm happy it happened, you know. So but anyway, there's people look at Oakland's happy it happened.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's the other thing. If you stay at the same school four years, you get a fifth year. So now it rewards that. The guys that say, I'm deciding.
Speaker 2: Okay, if that kid at Oakland still had another year of eligibility, would you reach out to him to add him to Arkansas?
Speaker 3: I wouldn't do that to my good friend. Oh you know, I'm not reaching out and doing that stuff. But he look, and I don't begrudge a kid to take advantage of the rules. He should have been playing because he was allowed to play. But it wasn't just him.
Speaker 2: There were Well, by the way, he was twenty four, Coach, you said twenty six, So.
Speaker 3: Who's in your ear? Because you wouldn't.
Speaker 2: I just googled it, so Jack, Yeah, yeah, okay, but again, shooters no shooters, So that's why you didn't know him. That's why you did not know him, Like who's hey, who's that guy out there?
Speaker 3: I wouldn't say you just so you know.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no.
Speaker 3: If they came to me and said I need you to take a look at him, I already have and don't tell me to look more at him. I understand. I saw him shoot three airballs, and you were telling me he's a shoot.
Speaker 2: Once again, that's lying. See now, anything you say I have to go, he's he lies. He lied about the guy at Oakland Jack, who's twenty twenty four, twenty six. See once again, these things hurt you. I'm trying to help your credibility. Here, tell the truth, free your mind and the resk. I'll follow up.
Speaker 3: I had to help me, that's why. But the other side of it, with the nil I don't know. Now that they've gone to where they are, how do you reel it back in? I don't have the answer. How do you say, well, we're not going to do as much or you got to sign a two year deal. I don't have that answer. But I do know five to play fours the first and it's a solution that you can do.
Speaker 2: Did you change your number because I was on vacation in Italy, and I say, I leave the country and you leave Kentucky and then I never hear from you. Did you change your number? Did you go big time?
Speaker 3: I wouldn't have called you, but no, I didn't.
Speaker 2: You didn't respond to me. You could have texted me.
Speaker 3: Oh, I didn't see you.
Speaker 2: Did Kentucky keep the phone?
Speaker 3: No, it's my phone. Okay, I got my own phone. I got my own email. I don't have a computer, but I got my own.
Speaker 2: Would have been nice though. On vacation, took time out to say, hey, are you in Italy? I was. I was there scouting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, yeah, trying to where did you vacation in Italy?
Speaker 2: I was Poolia. We're it's in the middle. Yeah, it's in the middle.
Speaker 3: Family. I'm an Italian citizen too. By the way, I'm a dual citizen. I got a passport, all the stuff.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to get that. My wife is Italian, so I'm trying to trying to get Maybe you could help me on. This is where you help out a family.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not. No, it's too hard and I'm not okay, I've done one time it.
Speaker 2: Oh, let's get Mark Pope on talking to him. Somebody's going to go a little further this year. Who goes further this year? Arkansas or Kentucky in the tournament? Here, we're out of time. We're out of time. Thank you, coach. Always great to talk to you.
Speaker 3: Thanks you, guys. Man as good. Thank your hair a little bit. You're looking good, Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: You're still doing it. Yeah, looking good. So he's got to look younger. Gotta look younger. You guys are like a comedy trip over there. Man, Then I'll look like coach cown. Let's take a break here. Jamal Crawford is going to join us, coming up next. What's he doing with Victor Wimbenyama? And is JJ Reddick the right coach for the Lakers? And he's portrayed in the series Clipped on the La Clippers. What's it like to watch a show where somebody's playing you? So we'll talk to Jamal Crawford next year on the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 6: Hey, it's me Rob Parker. Check out my weekly MLB podcast, Inside the Parker for twenty two minutes of piping hot baseball talk featuring the biggest names of newsmakers in the sport. Do you believe in analytics or the I Test? We've got all the bases covered. New episodes drop every Thursday, so do yourself a favor and listen to Inside the Partner with Rob Parker on the iHeartRadio app or wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 2: More phone calls coming out. John Caliperi and I go back a long, long long way. Still still working both of us here. He's become one of my favorites. Loved talking to Jamal Crawford, Turner Sports NBA analyst won the sixth Man of the Year three times. Marvin says, Hey, you see this picture, Jamal is working out with Victor Wimbenyama. I go okay, Let's get Jamal on and find out how this happened. So Jamal Crawford joining us on the program, Good morning, Thanks for joining us. How did this happen with you and Victor working out together?
Speaker 7: Well, we go back to earlier this season when we had him on the show and I asked him you know, because he'd been doing some crazy moves. So I asked him about, you know, if he could do this particular move and he's like, yeah, I've been doing that for years. I'm like here, okay, And then we looked up at All Star and I just showed him some freestyle moves and from there our relationship kind.
Speaker 4: Of took off.
Speaker 2: Wait what did you show him?
Speaker 7: Well, I showed him, you know, a wrap around move where he wraps around his body. It's only reserved for tall guards.
Speaker 5: Damn.
Speaker 7: You know, guys with long arms that could pull this off. And I thought he could take it to the next level. But it was funny when I started showing him all the other rookie sophomores on the court, all the attention, they stopped shooting.
Speaker 4: They just went over there.
Speaker 7: I'm like, okay, let's just keep this surface level because everybody's watching right now.
Speaker 2: I kept maintaining during the season he needed a point guard to put him in positions. I get felt like in the first half of the season he'd get lost out there, he'd be out of position, he'd get bodied out of position. But can the Spurs get that point guard to help him? Because that feels like that's the next step in his evolution.
Speaker 7: They absolutely can, and I could see why it would take a little bit because he's such a unique talent and you can use him so many different places on the court, right Like, you can use him bring it up the ball, you can use them in the mid post area, you can use them in the post serie. He can shoot transition threes and do everything in between. So I understand popping those guys. That's thinking because you just don't know exactly what you have until you have it, and even then he can kind of stretch the imagination. But you're right, Getting that point guard to kind of grow with him and that fits him would definitely serve them.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: If you were advising Luca after what you saw in the finals, what would you say to him about the off season and his approach to next season? If anything?
Speaker 7: I would think for Luca, you know, he's such a smot of the basketball. Like I was telling somebody, he's been a pro since he was fifteen, so at twenty, he's kind of mastered how the game works. He's mastered playing against different styles, whether his physicality, whether it's quicker guys, whatever it might be. But I think for him, getting in the ultimate shape would help tremendously. And then I also think the more you give up the ball. I know, coming from me, it sounds crazy, but the more you give up the ball, the easier it is to actually score without using less energy and kind of conservative energy. And that's what you do at different times. I think he grew in that area with Kyrie and letting Kyrie take the leader of times. I think that's a level of growth to actually win the championship.
Speaker 2: But you're never going to have officials give you the benefit of the doubt if you're constantly complaining to them.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 7: And he's too good to let that bother him or let anybody bother him, like, oh, I've joked before him, Like this guy plays when he's playing against the best defenses, he's playing like he has headphones on Dan. He does not get bothered by anybody. So don't let these guys bother you, because you're too good for them.
Speaker 2: The Celtics answered all the questions. Now, now we move on Jason Tatum. He got his title. Now we move on to Joe Ellenbiid or Luca as the next player who needs to win a title.
Speaker 4: Absolutely anybody else.
Speaker 7: Let me think Joel and b Luca Joker, Hardy has his. I think I think those are the two on deck. His Janis has his. I think those two are definitely on deck, and I think they're gonna prepare to do anything. But let me just say this about Tatum because I tweeted this. They were up to old Dan and he wasn't shooting well. He wasn't like, you know, having his normal scoring outburst, but he was hed just averaging ten rebounds or eight rebounds, ten assists at the time or vice versa.
Speaker 4: He was doing well.
Speaker 7: He's playing all around game. He just wasn't making shots, and people are like, what is he doing. I'm like, if you were down O two, I can understand, you know, kind of jumping on them. But they're up to old and we criticized him for not doing other things when he wasn't just scoring. Now he's doing that and they found the way wins. So I'm happy for their enough for the self. They deserve it.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: I thought he should have been MVP. It felt like he just had Jason Tatum numbers where Jalen Brown was a little better or with his numbers than what we expect therefore, it felt like he was more valuable. But you know, it still comes down you got to stop Tatum, and even when you stop him, he can still beat you or help his teammates in other ways.
Speaker 7: And look at all he's accomplished at twenty six years old. First Team All of the NBA, a few times, All Star, he'll be an Olympian this summer, like all those things that go All Star VP, like all those things that go into it. I think now in his totality, I thought him or Luke who were going to look at their whole careers a little bit differently. I think moving forward for him, I think that changed a lot. But I'm just glad that Boston actually kept those two together. Remember a few years back, Yeah, everybody was like break them up, right, Like, no, those two need each other. And now they're kind of set up in a way, especially in the East, where they can have a run.
Speaker 4: For a while.
Speaker 2: We're talking to Jamal Crawford, the Turner Sports NBA analyst, the series about the Clippers when you were there with Donald Sterling. It's called Clipped. What's it like to watch a show where somebody is portraying you in the show.
Speaker 7: It's fascinating because I looked at him, I said, that's not me, but it was. It was crazy because the hair was totally different. He had a long sleeved shirt. I'm like, I don't think that's me. But just to be on the show, you remember a different and like things. I remember Sterling walking into the locker room. I remember that day. It only happened one time in the five years I was there. And no, he didn't get kicked out, but he came in with ten different people and he was singing hiph It beat like we had won a championship as a regular season game, So that part was a little different, But it's been it's been hilarious to watch the characters. They could have did a little bit better casting because that that that.
Speaker 2: Chris Paul not passed to portray you, and that was hard to do as well. They needed to, you know, to find a gunner.
Speaker 4: They needed a gunner. They needed a gun slinger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a slader. But okay, that's a chaotic time. At least it feels like that. Did you guys realize what was going on? Like how chaotic this was from the outside looking at at the Clippers to be honest with you.
Speaker 7: He was never around like he would come to games, but we never actually had interactions with him. So the most chaotic stuff was when after Game three, we're in San Francisco and all the tapes came out. And even then, when the tapes came out, what we were told was all the owner sets and things. We're like, oh, he's a little different anyway, we sure he said. And then when we heard the tapes, we had to have another meeting after film session, and theyn't really talk about how we're going to move and navigate going forward, and that part is true, and Cliff that some of us were like, no, we're not comfortable playing, and then others were like, well, let's talk through this thing. And it was a two or three hour meeting to kind of get everybody on the same page. And even then it still didn't feel completely right.
Speaker 2: I had Laurence fishburn on a couple of weeks ago, the great actor, portraying Doc Rivers, and they said, what did you know about Doc Rivers? He goes nothing, He didn't even know who Doc Rivers was.
Speaker 4: Think about that, Think about that, and I saw that clip and I was crying, laughing.
Speaker 7: I'm like he knew nothing about Doc Rivers, but to his credit, he's nailed every manner, Like even when Doc got nab and yell, everything.
Speaker 4: Was to a team.
Speaker 2: Are the Celtics a great team historically? Like is this season? Are they going to be remembered for pick out whatever Bulls team or Celtic team or Laker team. Are they in that category for this season alone?
Speaker 4: Not sure?
Speaker 7: Yeah, And maybe with how things are looked at now, things happen fast, there's always a new cycle going on.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure they're looked at as an all time great team. Last night, it was weird.
Speaker 7: I was watching Kevin Durant his first run in the finals with Golden State. They were sixteen and one. He averaged thirty five five and like five like that was like some other worldly stuff. And they were playing against a healthy Cavs team at the time and Lebron and like that felt like an all time playoff finals run. I'm not sure this team feels like that, even though they checked the boxes with the numbers and some of the eye teps.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right, they're not better than Golden State. They're not better than the eighty six Celtics or throwing Magic's Lakers or Mike's Bulls. Yeah, I certainly understand that. Speaking of it, what do you have?
Speaker 4: What do you have with them all time?
Speaker 2: Right in that conversation, I don't think they're an all time great single season team. But I think what's not fair to them is they didn't go through any great teams. I didn't think Dallas was a great team. I think Boston built a great team, and that's a team that would be able to compete against any of these teams because of their versatility and they have depth there. But I'd have a hard time lumping them in as a top ten great team of all time individually. Monty Williams got fired this morning, so he's with the Pistons. Is there any chance the Lakers would be interested in Monty Williams or is this a foregone conclusion? Would you at least reach out if you're the Lakers, would you rather have Monty Williams or would you have JJ Reddick? If I make you Rob Polenka right now, right now.
Speaker 7: That's a good question because Moni's had obviously successes. He helped take Phoenix to the finals, but then you see what happens to Detroit as a younger team. I think Mani's built more for VET teams, so I can see that. But there's something about JJ that's exciting, and I think that's why so many people are it's fascinating. First time coach. You know, he's only coached his kids like I have, but you know he's a brilliant basketball mind. You know he loves the game. You know he can make adjustments. Whoever is the coach, I feel like it's going to have to be on board, like lock and key with Lebron and Ad. And I'm not saying anybody hasn't been, but just know that going forward because at this point, Lebron's you know, the end is close to the beginning. I think everything has to be tailored to what AD wants to do because he's the president and the future, and Lebron's the president right now, right so he has to.
Speaker 4: Be lock and key with whoever is the coach.
Speaker 2: What if AD says I don't want us to draft BRONNI.
Speaker 8: Know that.
Speaker 2: I know. I'm just saying, you know, if it's his team, be like, why are we wasting a second round pick on Brownie?
Speaker 4: But what's what's interesting about Ad?
Speaker 7: Even when it's his team is he would be okay if they got like a third star and he was like not necessarily the focal point of the offense because he's so unselfish and he could do so many different things. People forget Kentucky. He was more known for his defense, so he's comfortable doing other things. So now if Brownnie's on board, I haven't feeling Brownie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree. Who's a better shooter? You are Reddick?
Speaker 4: I think spot shooting. I think he is. I think off the Drewel, I think it's me so I think both forded.
Speaker 2: So if you went one on one, oh, I may have.
Speaker 7: The advantage, man, I might, I might, But Reddick has a better one on one game that people would think, like you can get to a stuff.
Speaker 4: He has a little right to left crossover pull up.
Speaker 2: But one on one shooting, I think, I wait, did you just call him sneaky athletic? Is what you did right there, Jamal?
Speaker 4: He had those.
Speaker 2: You could you beat Jordan right now? Michael Jordan in the game of one on one?
Speaker 4: Yeah, right now?
Speaker 7: The second he's sixty sixty plus, I can get him right now. But that's the only time I can. Then at thirty nine or forty years old when he was my age equivalent to mi A. She wasn't playing at forty four Resent Hiss forty. Yeah, he was still like dominating Prime All Stars. He was dominating against the Antonino Walkers and the Mike Finleys, and he was like he he averaged I think twenty five and five until yet that knee injury with the Wishes.
Speaker 4: We can look that up. He was over with the only two at that time. Unbelievable.
Speaker 2: But you could take him at sixty.
Speaker 4: If me right now sixty, I might be able to get him one one and only time. But yeah, we know him. He's still a threat.
Speaker 8: Killing him up.
Speaker 2: He doesn't. I'm sure he'd hear this and he'd be like, give me a couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: I did read, yes, weeks.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you.
Speaker 2: I don't know the next time we'll talk to you, but I want to thank you for being available during the season. You've come a long way, done a great job, and I hope you got I know you have a bright future. I hope you get opportunities down the road.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 4: You're a legend. I'm always honored to bell.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 2: That's Jamal Crawford. He played twenty seasons, six Man of the Year three times, got good stories, he's fun, got an opinion, pinned him down on would you rather take Monny Williams or JJ Reddick? Said he rather, He kind of said he would rather take JJ Reddick, although Moni's good with veteran teams. Well, that's what you have with the Lakers there. All right, we close up shop. I got to get phone calls here. People have been on hold for a while. Try to squeeze all of that in. So we'll have this day in sports history and what we learned, and what's the store tomorrow?
Speaker 1: After this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio in the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Last call for phone calls, what we learned, what's in store tomorrow, and we'll try to accomplish all of that. Let me get a couple of phone calls in here. Alex in Utah, Hi, Alex, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 9: Dan?
Speaker 8: Six one and a soft one ninety four st.
Speaker 2: Hey.
Speaker 8: About twelve years ago, a group of us went down to Arizona to spring training, and we learned that the Giants executives hold the party every year at the same Italian restaurant, and so we all decided to go to that restaurant that night to try to meet some players and get some autographs. And we were outside and at the end of the party, you know, we met Barry Bonds and Jeff Kent and Bruce Bochi and Buster Posey and Ken Limspcam and it was really really cool. Anyway, my father in law and I decided we need to go to the bathroom and we went into the bathroom in the restaurant and there were three urinals. And when there's two guys and three urinals, obviously is you split the middle so you're not standing right next to each other. And right after that, Willie Mays walks in and he pulls into the middle urinal and I looked over to my left and I see who it is, and then I lean give the lean back, and I look back to my father in law and I whispered, that's Willie Mays, and my father in law says, yeah, I know. And so it was we finished up and washing our hands in the bathroom. He comes around and was just the nicest guy and shook our hands and talked to us for a couple of minutes in the bathroom, and we left and his security detail took him and he was gone. But he was such a cool guy and it's totally sad for baseball that he died.
Speaker 2: Well, you've got a great story there, stood next to Willie Mays. Yes, Tom.
Speaker 1: The best problem was when Alex took a sneak peek.
Speaker 2: And said, hey, too soon, too soon? He is a five tool player. Uh, Matt in Tulsa. If I live to be ninety three, you can make fun of me when I die. Okay, I'm just saying, hey.
Speaker 10: Matt, Hey, how's it going, Dan?
Speaker 8: Hey?
Speaker 10: Sick one, skinny fat one ninety So I wanted to throw out a little bit about my dad here. We were talking about, you know, being known for, you know, not your best. And he played played professional baseball twelve years, nine years in the big leagues. Was a relief pitcher in nineteen eighty one against the Dodgers.
Speaker 8: He lost.
Speaker 10: He holds the record for the most losses in the World Series, little little little Does everybody remember that he won one in eighty seven with the Twins and was you know, was a great pitcher.
Speaker 8: In the big leagues.
Speaker 10: Well, in nineteen ninety four, I believe is my freshman year in high school. We you know, the seventh inning stretch trivia question was who holds the losses for the most or who holds the most losses in the World Series by a pitcher, and it was it was George Fraser. And I got to lunch that day and a guy named Sam Romin decided to throw at my face and my dad was a loser. I proceed to what was ass and got suspended for ten days to follow. So George Fraser was a stud. Unfortunately we lost him a year ago today. And you know, he was in the media for twenty years.
Speaker 8: The Colorado Rockies is their color.
Speaker 10: Guy on Fox. Got to call Bonds I think seventieth or seventy first home run when he broke the record in two thousand and one. And anyways, he has he has one of the greatest quotes. And I'm gonna let you go. It's on a poster. You can get it at Home Goods or whatever. But it was the media asked him one time, you know, hey, do you ever use any ford and substances on your baseball? Because George was was a well known cheater but never got caught. And he said, no, everything I use in my baseballs is made right here in the USA.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 2: So his dad's a known cheater. What are you saying? That's hilarious? George in Ohio? Hey George, what's happening.
Speaker 5: That's been a long time.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 4: Listen.
Speaker 5: Of course, I'm sad to hear about Willie Mays. Arguably the best of all time, and he was traded from San Francisco I think in seventy one or seventy two. But around that time there were some other notable players also traded. George Foster, Dave Kingman, Bobby Bonds, I think Gary Matthews. Who's the Maddix that played for the Phillies, Elliott or.
Speaker 2: Gary Gary Maddox.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think, yeah, that's quite a bit of talent that you got of. I don't know if that helped them out or not getting rid of.
Speaker 2: Them guys well, And I think if you trying to think back, George Foster was traded I think in like seventy six, seventy seven, somewhere around that to the Mets. Kathy in California, Hi Ken thanks for holding Hi.
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 9: This is Kathy. I'm my first callered from Long Beach, California. I can't hi eight I had hey. I had to call because Willie May when I started dating my husband in nineteen sixty six, he was a clubhouse boy at Dodger Stadium, so he got to meet all the great Willie Mays, Willy mccavey, Hank Aaron, Eddie Matthews, Coofax and Drysdale of course, and sadly he didn't get any signed baseball. We had great, great memories of those times. We watched you every day on Peacock. Well at least he does. I hear you every day on Peacock and I'm a big sports fan. But I just had the urge to call and share that story because he said that it was times of his life. Is seeing down there for five dollars driving on a motorcycle from sea to Dodger Stadium every night, It was it was quite the experience.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, Kathy, thank you for sharing. Yeah, those moments when you're younger, like it takes on a different life. It's so much more important because you didn't have all this clutter of being a grown up. You just you loved your team and you loved your players. You don't have to worry about all this other stuff. Responsibilities, Todd, what'd you learn today? Judy and Fresno named your son Jackie Mays after Jackie Rebinson and William Mason. He doesn't even like baseball, see no O'Connor. Mike Florio might be due for an ass kicking, Yes he is. What about you, Marvin JJ Redick has sneaky handles, Yeah, PAULI coach Cal's out of Kentucky, Dear, Yeah, he is got rid of it all. When it comes to protecting those that matter most, you need a home security system you can trust, and for over a decade, I've trusted simply Safe to protect my home, family and man cave. Get to twenty percent off any new simply safe system at simplysafedan dot com. There's no safeg simply safe. Thanks for the phone calls, thanks for the emails, tweets, all around support. Hope you have a great day, everybody. We'll look forward to talking to you tomorrow.