Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Resent Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Hey bam, You're about to hear a replay of one of our interviews from our live stream at the Democratic National Convention. Now. If you want to listen to or watch the full stream, be sure to check out links in the episode description. You can also find a full list of all the guests we've interviewed. Welcome home, y'all. We're joined now by Congressman Ayana Pressley. She is the first black woman to represent Boston in the House of Representatives, so another historic candidate during this time that we are making history here at the DNC. I have to we love you, Joe Taco. We thank you, Madam President. I have to tell you, guys, when you saw me the last time we were together on set, I was broadcasting from Martha's Vineyard and I camped out at the Congress on the home every day. I was trying to get Angela to come up there with me and Andrew and so at some point we will do a podcast, we hope, and from the Congress on all. But we're so happy to have you but honestly, because you yourself were a historic candidate, you took the office that belonged to Congress on the shirletism in Congress. What does this moment mean to you to watch another black woman ascend to the highest heights of the United States government?
Speaker 3: All right, I'm feeling this on so many levels. So first and foremost, actually, the dress that I'm wearing was is a custom piece inspired by a Shirley chishm dress. Wow. And so even though it is quite warm, that is why I'm wearing it in this full circle moment. And also though I have the humbling honor of being the congresswoman representing the Massachusetts seventh which includes the city of Boston, as the first woman of color, black woman, well personal color period to represent the comonwealth in the House. But a lot of people don't know Chicago is the city that raised me. So it is full circle in every way, and it is I won't call it a surreal experience because I think that denies us that it's real. It is attainable. So it is heady to be on the precipice of this historic moment when black women have been the backbone of the Democratic Party have been at the front line of ushering in every great movement throughout history. For us to take our rightful place at the top of this ticket, uh it is. It is long overdue. And everyone just keeps saying how joyful they feel, how hopeful they feel, and yeah, it's an incredible experience. And then to be here with you all, yes, yes, so it's like welcome home time too.
Speaker 4: Since street jump off text like hey, I got you, that was amazing, that was awesome that I didn't respond after, you know, but also.
Speaker 3: Shout out to Boston because your theme song, you know, one of the many incredible creatives and we have in the city of Boston.
Speaker 5: We are actually being joined. Well, he's handshaking. I don't know if he's coming up right now, but colleague, yes, your colleague, Congressman Hakeem Jeffries, who is the Democratic leader in the House, I think he is. He walking, he's terming here.
Speaker 3: Because we have to get people to understand that we're going to do everything to ensure that Kamala Harris is madam President. But she has got to have a Democratic majority in the House. We have to grow our numbers in the Senate in order to advance this agenda for more just America of freedom, and that's about the future. So it's so important that the Democrats get that gavel back and that a King Jeffries is our speaker to fully advance this agenda. Kamala can do it alone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just y'all have y'all Democrats have been incredible the way y'all have held the line. The Republicans couldn't get together anyway these last couple of months that they've been in charge. But I'm curious to know, is there give us the prognosis on whether or not you think you all will have the opportunity to win back the House where we're.
Speaker 3: Oh, absolutely so. I'm you know, A national surrogate for the Vice President was recently in Pennsylvania, critical battleground state, and I was so encouraged by what I saw there. First of all, knocking doors, many Republicans have said they do plan to vote for Kamala. Secondly, in that eighteen to thirty five demographic, again a constituency that had been there was a huge enthusiasm gap that no longer exists. People said, I just feel again more hopeful Kamala's future focused, and I feel that I'm a part of something important. Women from every age and walk of life, and this is the thing that black women do uniquely. We want to acknowledge the power of this representation. It is transformative and it is meaningful. But everyone sees themselves reflected in Black women. So because we we live in intersectionality, her story is the story of multitudes, and so it is a deeply resonant vision for our countries, centering the humanity and dignity of every person, of every family model in contrast to institutionalized Trumpism in Project twenty twenty five, which will cause harm to everyone who calls this country home, control every aspect of your life from your bedroom to your womb, dismantle the federal government and our democracy as we know it. In contrast to Kamala Harris and Tim Walls, who are about your freedoms, you know, preserving your freedoms, expanding your freedoms, and about the future. So I think with this economic agenda they've just rolled out, they show that they have not forgotten the plot. They see the people and they want to mitigate the harm and the struggles of everyday people. But they also want to meet you at your aspiration, and that's the joy part. That is the joy part. Every great movement requires three things imagination, strategy, and stamina. And I see all of that being animated in real time, and we are going to get her across that finish line and into the Oval Office.
Speaker 4: I love it, get it.
Speaker 5: We absolutely love it. Congressman, we love you. We thank you so much for joining us. We know you got to keep running. Hey, y'all, thanks for listening. Remember to rate, review, subscribe, and tune into our regular episode that drops every single Thursday, Welcome Home, y'all.
Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is a production of iHeartRadio and partnership with Reason Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.