Speaker 1: To on the move, dalling deep Speedways peaced Hell.
Speaker 2: From the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 3: This is Drive Time with Travis Wingfield. He's got Miami has in the playoffs?
Speaker 2: What is up Dolphins and welcome to the Draft Time Podcast. The Dolphins are winners and on today's show, we're going to break down the thirty four to nineteen victory over the Las Vegas Raiders. Will hear sound from head coach Mike McDaniel from quarterback to what tongue by loa. We'll go over the entire game script and tell you how they got to this position being in four and six. Today, we'll also take a look at five big picture takeaways from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is.
Speaker 3: The Draft Time Podcast. Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 1: Twin win win win win, Yeah, everything goes win win, win, win.
Speaker 2: Your sen say your say, And that's just kind of how I'm feeling coming off of a very very good performance me and Miami Dolphins, especially on the offensive side of the football, where they scored every single time they touched the rock in this game. And that doesn't include a end of half drive, which you do have to include those, but when you remove drives the end with the clock expiring on the minus side of the field or on kneel downs without those, Miami has really found a way to push the ball down the field and get points on just about every drive since Tua has come back, or at least the majority of those drives. And I had mentioned it, they were fifteen for twenty five coming into this game if you exclude those types of drives, and then they go seven for seven in this game. So over the last four games they are doing live math twenty two four thirty two scoring points on drives that did not result in kneel downs or the expiration of the end of the first half. They also were ranking third and scoring rate coming into this game over that time period and six in points per drive. And thanks to Kyle Krabs who looked up the stat for me or for all of you, i should say, from Lockdown Dolphins podcast, he said the Dolphins five point one seven points per drive before the Sanders Field goal, which was a drive where they were trying to basically eat clock and just put points on the board. Right after the Ramsey pick was at five point one seven points per drive in this game, which was the second highest total of the season, and actually first was the Lions today who put an absolute beat down on the Trevor Lawrence list Jacksonville Jaguars. So the Dolphins offense has found its efficiency, man, it has found its groove. And the entire offseason worth of podcasts I talked about here with taking advantage of that overplay and rounding out the eligibles with immediate separators and big body poster uppers. Is that a word for John new Smith, for Javon a Chan's inclusion into more run game and more pass game and just everything they've been able to do. You've seen it play out and we are you know. McDaniel mentioned this in his postgame press conference about trying to not let the hurt of losing your fifth and sixth game on buzzer beating field goals like derail the rest of the season. And good on the guys for putting it together and finding back to back wins, because my goodness, man, you can think about this season in hindsight and so many teams can do this, but I think for the Dolphins, like who have shown you what they kind of were capable of these last two weeks all year long. This team is so close to a four game winning streak with wins over three teams in my opinion, in Buffalo, Arizona, and Los Angeles, who are all going to go to the playoffs, and then the Raiders today, and you can even extend that back to the Colts game where a couple of fumbles and plus territory cost you. So gosh, they're close. But the good news is, I think you can compartmentalize this and you know, kind of throw records to the wind. We're gonna be tracking it the rest of the way for sure, but just see if they can continue that level of football, because regardless of what happens, if they do that, you got to feel so dang good about where this football team is going. Early season mistakes and miss opportunities be damned. But let's go ahead and talk about more of that later on in the big picture segment and talk about this game script. But first before we do that, we have stats to get to and real quick on the AFC standings. I was kind of tracking this Broncos and Falcons game. The Broncos are up thirty one to six, as I talk in the podcast right now, they're going to win that game, and Miami could have moved to a half game back in the AFC Wildcard playoffs. But luckily it's only a week twelve or still in week eleven, so we have time to make that move. But it's worth noting that the Broncos found a big win over the Falcons at home in this week eleven game. Stats from the Dolphins and Raiders game. Man, This Dolphins offense, man, they've been fun to watch and it's produced some very gaudy numbers. Twenty five first downs today, eight for twelve on third down, two for two on fourth down, three hundred and fifty three yards. Those were all best. Those all best of the game. In fact, Miami got the check mark on all these except for sack yards lost. The Raiders had twenty two first downs of their own, so they were effective, especially on third down, where they were eight for fourteen. They were also two for two on fourth down. They gained three hundred and twenty eight yard yards. Now, the rushing difference wasn't as much I thought I was going to be eighty two to sixty in Miami's favor. Miami also had three more passing yards with two seventy one. Then did the Raiders sixty four plays to sixty two, so it was it was close. The Raiders had the one turnover late they had Minshew was sacked three times to a sack just twice. And after a week when Miami had one penalty for fifteen yards, four for twenty three in this game and they possessed the ball for thirty three minutes. But we'll talk more about the crazy stats behind this Dolphins offensive attack and their ability to sustain drives as we get into the five big picture takeaways, but plenty to come your way here. Let's go ahead and get into the game script, which began well the same way the entire game went for the Dolphins offense, with a lengthy scoring drive and that was a one yard touchdown reception from John new Smith on fourth and goal at the one yard line, a fourteen play seventy yard drive that took eight minutes and thirteen seconds off the clock.
Speaker 3: Since when do we do that?
Speaker 2: We've been a three to four minute drive offense for the last two and a half years and now we have this eight plus minute drive offense.
Speaker 3: It's been fun to watch and it's more of the same.
Speaker 2: You got a positive run on first down to kick off the game, a loss on second down, and then Tua just watches the space created in the passing game on third down and finds his open available checkdown for an explosive play fifteen yards devon a cham which tacks on a fifteen yard penalty for Max Crosby on Leah Mikenberg, who in my opinion, is the most underrated instigator in the game of football. It just tracks with you know, I see these takes in these ideas that game manager, and it's not really high value quarterback play like bs Man like watch the way the defense reacts, and what the quarterback should be doing is playing to how the defense reacts. It's where the entire description of the job for the quarterback is. And he's doing it at a level that he's never done before and that not many quarterbacks are on the league capable of doing. You go back and look at any great quarterback in this league, you're gonna find a quarterback that was able to find success through easy throws, through finding that route because of the way he mastered the offense. And that's what Tua, I think has been doing. He also had that tremendous dig rip and anticipation between three receipt or three defenders on a fifteen yard shot the tyreek hill. But then a negative run a sack fumble that we recover was good coverage and the Tua couldn't escape the pressure, doesn't put the ball away. That's kind of like the final evolution for me with Tua is just being a little bit more secure with the football when he's in the pocket and there's bodies around him. Because the fumbles are it's a gaudy number, but they get most of them back, so that's a good thing. But the Raiders got hit with a defensive hole on a third and twenty play. It gives us a first intendant. The plus sixteen two runs creates a third and four. And this is where I want to kind of add some audio in here, because the Dolphins' ability to adjust in this game is one of the many things that has me so bullish about this organization, not just this year. Again, this is all you know, because these guys are here, like the court nucleus of this football team is here, and they're locked up and they're probably going to be here for a while. So it's something you can build on into future seasons as well. But McDaniel had mentioned this. In fact, let's go ahead and play the audio for mcdanie. This is regarding the Dolphins third down conversion to Tyreek Hill on the opening drive down in the low red zone. They ran a rub route where Waddle ran a fantastic pick and it created an opening for Tyreek Hill to make a catch on a flat route and get the first down and keep the Dolphins on the field on this long scoring drive. Here is McDaniel talking about Miami's advanced ability to adjust on the fly to certain things they see and to take you into this question, he's talking about the eligibles, the backs, receivers and tight ends. Just wanted to shorten the audio, but here he is talking about those guys making adjustments and how it's helped this Dolphins offense.
Speaker 4: Have done a very good job developing their game within the season, which is very hard to do, and so that attention to detail in situations. Today, you know, the Raiders coming into the game, we're a very zone oriented defense on third down, and today they played all virtually all man specifically the first half, and which is you know, as we are a group working together. Over time, we've we've learned to adjust faster to the unexpected because it's been a long time since a defense has just showed up and done what they've done against other teams against us, and you know it, you don't get that exact work all the plays that were running on third down during the week against man coverage, that's the idea of them showing up and surprising us. But we've been focusing on funnements and technique to beat man each and every week from a route treat perspective.
Speaker 2: And again, my apologies for a hard cut there. I'm trying to shorten those audio clips and play them as they more see fit for the for the particular part of the podcast I'm talking about within that moment. So I'm so impressed by that because when you can within the first drive of the game, we just heard an offensive corner I get fired across the league and some of the commentary the player said was they weren't making adjustments until either halftime or after the game. But the Dolphins on this first drive are making adjustments on the fly. It's a beautiful thing to see. And right after that, after the Raiders, you know, show this overplay and the pick route works to create space for Tyreek Hill. The Dolphins wind up back in a third and goal at the one situation after one of the greatest hits I've ever seen, and the press box at hard Rock Stadium would confirm that because the collective ooh when Devon Divine Diablo put that stick on Devon eight chan on the shovel pass that looked like a walk in touchdown. That was impressive. But the Dolphins didn't miss a third down throw. But then on fourth down they get a look where they have waddle and reach to the same side of the formation once again, they run double slants into the middle of the field and that creates this vacancy on the perimeter and John hus Smith runs the swing route coming across the formation in motion and two of fines him for the touchdown reception. So they saw what the Raiders were doing mid drive, they adjusted to it mid drive, and then they built a play sequence off the adjustment mid drive that that is an impressive way to kick off a football game. Fourteen plays, seventy yards, eight minutes and thirteen seconds to put yourself in the end zone to kick this thing off. The two was three for three for twenty four yards and a touchdown on third down on that drive for a seven to nothing lead. The Raiders get the football back and they go twelve plays sixty one yards in six and a half minutes for a twenty seven yard field goal, and the Dolphins it looked like it was going to be that runaway game we were hoping for, because Miami marches down the field and scores. Then Gardner Minshew throws this like jump pass that looked disjointed against pressure. Then the running back runs and the split flow motion man on second down to create a third and nine, and then Sealer has an exceptional retrace on a screen where he rushes upfield. They throw the screen behind him, he goes back and makes the tackle by the numbers. As that tunnel screens cutting back inside, It's like, Okay, this is a Dolphins team that we thought we were getting all year long. Riter we feel like we're starting to get now. But Kalays Campbell dang Near blocks a punt but roufs the punter or runs into the punter, I should say on fourth and fourth. Then they just kind of start nickeling, diming us and they get some clever jet sweeps from screen game to put themselves in scoring range. Seeler gets a sack on second down and puts the Raiders out of that scoring range. They kind of run a give up play on third down, a little screen pass that doesn't go anywhere, and it turns into a field goal. So at seven to three and the first scorer is basically over. After that, the Dolphins get the ball back and march at sixteen plays fifty two yards, eight minutes and twenty two seconds. This is It reminds me of the eight Dolphins with Chad Pennington and the Wildcap. Just these long, sustaining drives that take the heart of the opposing defense. And you got a third and one right away where eight Chan takes a dive from the shotgun for a first down, which I thought it was cool to see. After he had a really nice wiggling run on second and ten for nine yards, so a three play sequence. H h gets a first down and then to like one of the only misses he had in this game, and he talked about it after the fact that this team's not satisfied and he felt there were some throws that he missed I have to think the little glanced wattle, you know the RPO where he pulls it out, and just the minute he pulls the ball out, he quickly quickly flips it up field. Sometimes it's Ingold on that wheel. Sometimes it's John U or Durham down the scene. This time it was Wattle on the glance and he was just off and he missed it. But that creates a third and two situation, and they blitz it and Tua has to throw it away, but that creates a fourth and two at the plus forty five. And this is where I think you feel the dolphins offense mojo coming back right here, because they go for it and Tua finds Tyreek co on a crossing route and moves the chains. And then I write down two of the creator of my notes, because I don't know if you guys are familiar with the sketch artist the rapper. I think as a comedian too, Tyler the Creator. I just kind of came to my head because all of a sudden, Tua is like a playmaker, right, like a big time playmaker where he can escape the rush. He wheels out to his left, and I love the way Jalen Wattle and him almost have this telepathic connection with when to go off the script or go off schedule as the play breaks down because Wattle, at the same time that Tua fleece to his left does the exact same thing, and he angles his route back to the line of scrimmage, which creates a better window for two or to throw it to and you get an explosive play as the ball, whether his cleats are in the ground, whether he's throwing on the move, that ball is where it's supposed to be. And it's so much fun to watch an accurate quarterback do his thing. He finds Waddle for twenty four yards, we get two runs in the red zone for a third and five, and then he finds Odell Beckham right the sticks for a first down, and I just think, this Dolphins offense, I'll come back to this was really showing you the vision of the offseason when teams take away Reek and Waddle and you have other options you can go to to rely upon and to be perfect. Right seven for seven on the day, scoring drives with the possessions they have. Then the sack on third and goal at the five, Aaron Brewer got beat across his face by Adam Butler, who did that down here for a year with us. He got that sack on that play, and Brewer had a penalty in the game too that like he made it a nice aggressive block but got flagged for a penalty. I think when I watch the tape, this will be like, oh, that was an off game for Aaron Brewer because he has been so dang good this year, so even to see like one or two bad plays is like, oh, that's not what I'm used to seeing with him. But he's a great, great player, So that's why I just mentioned it.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 2: Dolphins go up ten to three and it's like halfway through the second quarter. The Raiders get it back and they go on a sixteen play sixty six yards, six minute field goal drive for twenty two yards, and brock Bauers, my goodness, man, that guy is something. He makes back to back catches to put him into plus territory right away. Then he takes a jet sweep and loses the yard. So it kind of felt like they were like, we're gonna get the battle. Brock Bowers every single play, and on that play, Javon Holland really hit the crackback block and reset him back behind the line that forced brock Bowers to bubble. So that was a great play by Javon, who I think is having a really good stretch of games so far for himself. And then Minshew kind of went to work that third and seven slant to Myers working on Ramsey and they kind of got that inside access on Ramsey a few times in this game, and they just kept finding ways to get first downs. They had a third and ten at the twenty nine yard line with two h five left in the half and they quit counted us. They got to the line scrimmage and the Dolphins were still kind of like communicating the defense and they snapped it and it got brock Bowers on the perimeter for open completion to move the chains, and then Sealer gets a big quarterback hit that forces an air and throw and creates a third down. But then Minshoe scrambles and moves the chains again when Chop Robinson wins the corner on a third and six with about two minutes to play, and he steps out of it and scrambles for a first down. Then Miami got back to it with a first and goal stot where Bonito and Stealer and Campbell teamed up. Those three guys were really really good today. Ogba had a nice sack on the quarterback where he rushed up field and redirected back underneath when Minshee stepped up again. And I talked about in the preview shows, Minshew has really struggled to process, you know, the field this year, and he's kind of stepped into some sacks and stepped out of some clean pockets. I thought that's what happened here. Dolphins take their last time out and then they get a completion short of the sticks to Michael Mayer, where again I thought Minshew missed the mark on that throw and Mayer had to go to the ground to make the play. But because of that, they don't score the touchdown obviously, but they're able to wind forty seconds off the clock. Miami gets it back and it's a five play like a three or four play drive from Miami to take us into the break. So it's ten to six at halftime and you're getting the offive production. But there's been four possessions in the game sans you know, the end of the half where you didn't really have much of a chance to get much accomplished. Let's go ahead and come back on the other side after a break and break down the second half of this football game. That's next Draft Time podcast your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Autnation, And after the game began with a Raiders punt that was ultimately taken off the board, the Raiders opened the second half with a punt, A punt, a drive ends in a punt. Five plays ten yards, but it was three minutes off the clock. They get positive in the first three plays the drive and it creates a second and five after an initial first down, but then Kalaias Campbell sheds a block and against Minshew to the ground for a sack third and eleven, and it was the longest one they had had all day. And I said to Seth, this is the spot you want to be against this Raiders offense. This could be a spot where Minshee throws an errant pass, and sure enough he does, but it just barely short hops Jordan Brooks. It kind of looked like to throw, although it wasn't tipped that Matthew Stafford had picked off last week to Anthony Walker, where he maybe had a chance to shoot the arms under the football and corral it, but it hits the ground incomplete. Raiders punt it and they pin the Dolphins at the three yard line, and that's where Miami takes a fourteen play ninety seven yard drive that takes off seven minutes and forty seven seconds off the clock, and it culminates an eight yard Tyreek Hill touchdown catch. And eight Chan got us off the shadow of the goal line on the very first play with a very nice change of direction cut at the line of scrimmage where he gains eight yards and Tron Armstead washes down that side of the line of scrimmage and eight Chan has a crafty little run that creates a big play for the Dolphins to get off the goal line there. And he did that all game long, I thought, despite the fact that the run game didn't really get going in this one, I thought eight Chan showed you some of his salt inside but also the speed off the edge to convert some big time runs for us. But then we lost that same edge for a two yard loss. But it was third down and that means it's to a time third and four spot route to Tyreek. They run these little bunches or trips out of bunch where Reek and Waddle and Beckham are part of the equation that's tough to cover man because they're all vertical threats. They all can break inside, they all have the route capacity to you know, hit three way gos and Riek just kind of settles into a soft spot and when Tua sees it, the ball's on him right out of the break, easy pitch and catch for a first down. We are now five for eight on third down, and that would only get better. They had a seven yard swing pass it devon eight Chan, and I noted that because the Raiders were I'm curious to see the numbers on this tomorrow from next gym. The Raiders were blitzing a lot, and Tua just kept replacing the football or the blitz rather with the football. Then we get an eight yard round from eight Chan where he again squeezes this tiny crease and then a leak. Washington takes and end a round on slips a tackle and gets seven yards.
Speaker 3: Then John U.
Speaker 2: Smith has this catch where I love the way he sets up his move before the ball gets there, like he put his foot in the ground, snagged the ball, then cut it back inside and made an explosive play because of that, and then Tua gets the ball out hot to Wadle for thirteen yards. Just felt like he was in a rhythm, and before you knew it, the drive began at the three yard line and all of a sudden they're at the plus forty five and then he gets some pusher and drives up and checks it down to Julian Hill for a first down. Then we see Miami go tempo for the first time in the entire game, where they hustle the line of scrimmage, and I was thinking to myself, like, oh, Julian Hill caught that. I see Johnny on the field. That's a two tight end package. The Raiders are in this like I think they were in dime, like it was a six defensive back package.
Speaker 3: I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 2: And sure enough, I'm like, they got something they like here because they're going to go fast, and they load up an eight chan run off the right side where they get good washed by Kendall Lamb and Liam Eichenberg and they rip a thirty yard play, which was at the time was the biggest play of the entire game. Then they get a holding call that backs them up to first and goal with the fourteen, but replay assist comes in and or after a discussion, whatever you want to whatever it was, I'm not really exactly sure. They get a face mask call on gelen Wright that was obvious in the replay, and they go back and they charge it and they get offsetting penalties. Great work by the officials, but then we lose four yards to Raheem Moster had. I think this was to a second miss of the game. He had Tyreek on a corner route in the back of the end zone, but just threw it behind him a little bit. I think if it was better located, touchdown. But no big deal because on the next play to a goods pressure third and eight escapes to his left and Tyreek Hill makes this great play where he angles back down the line of script or down the goal on I should say, and at full speed, which for him is like what eighty miles an hour, that's how fast he runs. He makes this catch, taps the toes, scores a touchdown, and then two on him go over and have this really cool embrace in the sideline and Tyreek throws the ball up into the air and Toronto armstar Fair catches it. He weaves fair catch and catches it and then throws it back to the official. I thought that was great, but the entire play just was impressive by two on Tyreek and the Boys. So now you have four drives fourteen, sixteen and sixteen plays with an end a half drive in there seventy to fifty two and ninety seven yards and the shortest drive was this one seven minutes and forty seven seconds. It's now seventeen to six Miami Dolphins. The Raiders come back and score an eight play seventy yard touchdown with Brock Bowers a twenty four yard touchdown catch. It took just two minutes and fifty two seconds off the clock, and they got a fourth down to open the drive. But Alexander Madison finds a six yard run there and they go right back to him for a thirty one yeard screenplay and then they go tempo. And I thought that was strange because they went tempo after two high stress touches by a running back, one that went for thirty one yards where he ran all over the field, and they went back to him, and then Quentin Bell just crashed the weak side and cut him down for a loss of one, they get pressure that forces Minshew to throw it away on second down, and once again it's like, okay, we want to live in third long for this Raiders offense.
Speaker 3: We blitz it.
Speaker 2: But Minshew found what he wanted, found brock Bowers. Jordan Poyer can't quite get there for the tackle and he's in for six and the game is back on. Although Zach Sealer completely shut down a two point conversion all by himself by swimming over the center and greeting the running back in the backfield pretty much at the same time the ball got in his belly, z actually was there for a big TfL. So at seventeen twelve, we're getting close to the fourth quarter, but Miami takes a ten play, sixty yard drive five minutes forty four seconds and has a two yard touchdown run by Devon h Chan to put the Dolphins back in front by two scores. They have a kickoff in fraction, so the drive starts at the forty yard line and then two it hits Tyreek for eighteen yards on another one of those great shots into a window. A trio of Raiders defenders, just like you saw the last two years. Vintage McDaniel to of Dolphins on that play, and then a hard count draws him off side. So it's first and five at the plus thirty five and we spring a big screenplay, but there comes the Aaron Brewer holding call, so now it's back to first and fifteen. We get two to Jalen Wright. Malik Washington catches a now screen. I'm a big fan of what he adds to this offense. He's a very good like pump returner slash fourth fifth receiver in that range and he gets nine back. It's it's up a big third and four and then what does Tua do but through in my opinion, his best ball the day. They run a cover two look, which has been what teams have kind of gone to against us. John neu Smith runs the flag route, a corner route whenever you want to call it. Basically up, push up ten yards and then angle towards the pylon the flag at the corner, and it's a beautiful cover two turkey hole shot right in that vacancy where the cloud corner underneath and the safe the half field safety over the top. They both cannot converge. The ball just splits them. It's a big conversion for a big gain and then we go and get down to the in the goal line after two of finds Julian Hill in the flat for a big completion, and Devon h Chan looks like the outside lane is not there, but he finds it because he's so dang fast. Press up, bounce out, cut it in find the end zone. Dolphins lead twenty four to twelve, but the Raiders come back. Fourteen plays, seventy yards, six minutes, fourteen seconds. They convert a fourth down of their own after an offensive pass interference made it second and sixteen. They convert after a third and four after that play, they get into another third and long they convert that and we just kind of seemed out of sorts at times in the defensive secondary. Just to beat late on some of the critical plays. I thought that helped them be extremely efficient on third down six for twelve in the game. At this point they get the Dolphins get two stops on first and goal and second in goal with the ten yard line. It was the throwaway where Jalen Ramsey was in phase in the coverage and then brock Bauers could couldn't scoop a bad throw from Minshew and then they get a swing route to the perimeter and Caterkoh, who I've dubbed him one of the best in space tackling cornerbacks the entire National Football League myths, whiffs on a Myra Abdullah in space and he goes in for six. I would I would you know back cater Coo, who on that play ninety nine times out of one hundred, just didn't make this one. And it's now twenty four to nineteen, and the Dolphins need to find a killed drive here, right, They gotta go find points or at least extend this game to you know, more Dolphins first downs. And what do they do but find a four play, seventy yard drive that takes a minute oh four off the clock. After Waddle wins a third and short route with a really really good out route gets grabbed by the defender gets called for holding. That extends the drive. And then I love how the Dolphins didn't just go back to run run pass. Don't be still predictable and just give them the opportunity to load up the two running plays. You take their timeouts, so you kill that clock whatever it is. And then on third and eight they can drop and rush and do different things because they know you have to throw, but you didn't do that. You went to the pass on second down and you found John U. Smith all by himself. Tua makes a great adjustment on that play throws for a fifty seven yard touchdown. It gives two a gaudy numbers on the day, it gives John HU Smith his first one hundred d hundred yard days of Miami Dolphin, and it gives the Dolphins back to back wins for the first time and their fourth win of the season to move to four and six. Let's actually go ahead and hear from Mike McDaniel who spoke about the addition of John Smith and what he's meant to this football team.
Speaker 4: Ultimately, he's making people. He's making defenses pay for the over attention that Tyreek and Wattle get and that space that's added by let's say call it. You know, you have a linebacker playing in the in the alley between the numbers and the hash, and his landmark is three yards deeper based upon our offense and trying to stop the inbreaks for Tyreek and Waddle. Well that he's he's making full use of that of those extra three yards and adding a real cool element to to our offense. That was, uh, you know, we needed every every yard that he's had for us this year, and it was cool to see him make plays in opportune times.
Speaker 2: Today, we'll come back to that point, because I've been talking about it for like eight months now at this point, but we'll come back to Johnny Smith in overplay and this Dolphins offense. Before that, the Raiders take the football back with three twenty to play in the game, and then you finally got the Gardner Minshal mistake.
Speaker 3: He misses a short receiver.
Speaker 2: Ramsey picks it off and kind of puts the game away, just like he did last year in Week eleven against these same Raiders with his pick in the end zone. They get you two runs from right and eight chan and then two of Fines Durham Smyth and Jason Santas puts it through from forty six yards to make it thirty four to nineteen. And then the Raiders end the game out with just a drive that takes him into the Dolphins almost into the red zone, but not enough to score. They were down two scores anyway, so that's how it ends. The Dolphins get a big victory. Let's go ahead and take our last break right there. I have two more sound bites. I have five big picture takeaways. We'll do all that next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you Byite Autotation, as we do every single Sunday night slash Monday morning, depending on when you listen to this recap episode. I have a feeling you guys are going to tune in on Sunday night because it's a fun day to be a Dolphins fan. We take a look at some big picture takeaways and just assess where this football team is. Every single game is an event, and so we have to have takes off of those events. And number one is that this offensive vision that I have harped on and this team has, you know, stood behind by their own actions from August and really the truth be told back in February. I think it was when John who signed or it was early March, right before freqency began, because he was a released player who could sign with the team. We got him first. That was the first part of the vision crystallizing to me, and just real quick off the top, I want to go back to the play sequencing because it's been a few weeks now where I thought McDaniel and Frank Smith and this coaching staff has really put together like a sequence of plays where it's like they show one thing, they get reaction, they get, you know, a certain movement, and they play off of that and they go back to those plays and they add wrinkles to them, and you know, the discourse is what the discourse is. But for all the negative that McDaniel had to endure during the losses, you're starting to see like, oh, that's the guy that we you know, all fell in love with from game number one back in twenty twenty two, Like it's always been there. He's just sometimes you go through some bumps on the road and have adjustments to make. And the Dolphins, you know, good on them for coming back the other side and figuring that stuff out because the rub routes I talked about, which we found out in McDaniel's postgame press conference that those adjustments were even more on the fly than we even were aware of because of the Raiders showing a lot of zone coverage and coming out in this game and basically going all man coverage, which again that's crazy against Rereakan Waddle, but you can play a lot of two mans. That's probably what we saw in this game. All have more on that for you guys on the film tomorrow. But then I just look at these critical third down situations and having you know, I know it's two catches for thirteen yards for Odell Beckham Junior, but one of those is a third and five in the red zone. Those are four point plays a lot of the time when you execute those. John new Smith having a couple of those, including his touchdown on fourth down on top of what he did last week third down with a thirty three yard play to take us down to the one yard line before the Tyreek Hill touchdown catch. It's just all this space that is afforded because of these two elite wide receivers you have that aren't having the gaudy numbers and they're taking a back seat in productions in a sense. To let these guys flourish and to let the offense be the most efficient offense in the NFL over the last month, it's coming together very nicely. In all the space it's there for the running backs in the short passing game as well. Just shout out to all the pass catchers. They're not named Tyreek and Waddle. Durham had the three yard catch, John u six for one oh one and a touchdown, and three of those were third downs or fourth downs. Odell two for thirteen, eight four for thirty two, mo League three for eleven, and Julian Hill two for twenty eight as well. And I mentioned this point earlier, the four point eight five points per drive was still second most in the in an NFL game this entire year. That's also eight consecutive scoring drives, or rather after it was nine consecutive scoring drives going back to halftime of last week. The Dolphins scored three times against the Rams and then six times against the Raiders today, So I think that's actually ten because three and seven was the toll today. Yeah, ten, ten total scoring drives if you remove end of half or NIEL downs. And then since his return, Tua has completed seventy eight and a half percent of his passes. That's second most in the NFL. He has a fifty eight percentage on third downs to move the chains. His EPA per play is point twenty five. It's fourth in the NFL. He's third on third downs, by the way, his fifty three point three percent success rate is fifth. His plus six point eight completion rate above expected as fifth. So this is a guy that's doing what he did last year, playing like a top five quarterback. Let's go ahead and hear from McDaniel on the game and evolution of his quarterback into a tongue.
Speaker 3: Of by level.
Speaker 4: You know, I think two has just been very very He's taken a gigantic step in his game by you know, he's he's got control of the emotional piece of a football game and isn't trying to force things un necessarily, isn't trying to make plays when they're not there, but also finding ways to extend plays and making more plays than maybe the play that I gave him was what it abled him to do.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, gosh, talk about the added playmakers to talk about tua's emotional maturities you heard mcdanalid talk about there, but also the creative ability from Tua, Like, those are some big, big steps we've seen from this offense this year, and gosh, it really makes me want to play some big football games, which we should get to here. That's going to be the rest of the season. Basically, they're all going to be big football games. But I cannot wait to have him have a chance to, you know, change some of the possible narratives, which is what the you know, winning a forge those opportunities. I'm excited to see this team take those opportunities and see what they can do with them. Number two, I mean ball control game to the max.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: We continue to prove we can play that style of football game. But the problem in the first half was the Raiders did the same thing too, with that running into the kicker penalty turns of three and out into a double digit drive. But both teams were rolling on third down. The Dolphins had two fourth down conversions early. We saw field goals of thirty one, twenty seven, and twenty two yards. We saw two sixteen play drives early and then a third one later on a fourteen play drive, A twelve play drive just one of the strangest game scripts I've ever seen, and it got crazier with a sixteen play ninety seven yard touchdown drive in the second half. Six of nine on third down for the Dolphins by the end of that second touchdown drive, then a fourth scoring drive out of four that didn't end the half again ten for sixty I mean four double digit play drives, and they would get one more again later on in the game. No, they wouldn't check that it was only four because the fifth was a Jona Smith touchdown. It reminds me of those Pennington Dolphins in the wildcat year. Just really impressive. Then they finally get their explosive drive, a seventy yard drive that took them four plays. So that's it, man, it's you can win a lot of football games doing this, and you're gonna help your defense stay fresh, and you're going to force the opposing offense to be damn near perfect. And the Raiders, as good as they were, they weren't perfect in the red zone and that's why the game got away from them late.
Speaker 3: So hey, you can win all of football. Gme doing that.
Speaker 2: Third takeaway Tua the creator and the third down offense. I looked up the last four weeks of third down offense. Eleven for fifteen against the Cardinals, four for eight against the Bills, six for thirteen against the Rams, eight for twelve against the Raiders. That's twenty nine for forty eight. It's a sixty percent third down conversion rate. On the day, Tua goes twenty eight for thirty six for two to eighty eight. That's eight yards per attempt at seventy eight percent completion rate, three touchdowns, no turnovers, a one to twenty seven point eight passer rating. On third down he was nine for ten with seventy four yards and two touchdowns. He did take a sack and had a fumble. He also hit Tyreek on that little crosser for his second fourth down conversion of the game. Again, that corner route to John news Smith in the cover two hole. Just some of the biggest plays and the biggest moments, and you have to have it. Tua has found those answers. Let's go to Tua talking about what has been so elemental or not elemental critical in those third down conversions.
Speaker 1: I think just staying in it, having continued to have the seakeeper mindset and each play stands on its own, Meritt, you know, just go through my read and also having in the back of my head with what other teams have played prior to us on third downs that they could potentially, you know, do that instead of what they would normally do in those down in distances, and having those answers. So I think everyone was dialed in and locked in on that.
Speaker 3: And that's kind of what I talk about.
Speaker 2: Man with his quarterback seeing more and more and getting more game reps and growing into his own you know, maturity and his own emotional development and just the development of his game is as he gets later in his career, like his ability, like he talked about there to recognize what other teams have done despite showing something else, and the adjustments you have to make to that, Like this is a guy that is banking these reps and using them to his advantage. And that makes Dolphins fans, or should make Dolphins fans, I should say, very very happy, because that makes for really good quarterback play that can do it for a long time. Number four is the run game has been slowed down to kind of a halt the last couple of weeks. The yards per carry his way down two point seven three yards per rush, as it was twenty two for sixty seven last week twenty six for sixty four in this one. The early down running situations have created those third down plays the Dolphins have to execute on just have not been as effective, although they have been effected, I think in third and short for the most part, but some of the early down run stuff hasn't been there. I think you felt the loss of alec Ingold, who was kind of a game time decision today, So hopefully that bodes well for his availability next week. But it reduces some of your flexibility because he is the focal point of that twenty one.
Speaker 3: Package and you have to scrap that.
Speaker 2: I mean, you can do it with some tight ends and stuff, but nobody is alec Ingold, and so I think that his absence has been felt. We had eight runs for either negative or no yards today. That's just not what you're used to for this Dolphins offense. So even though you're dominating offensively, there's still more you can do, and this offense has proven they can do the things that they haven't done the last two games. My fifth takeaway is the defense just struggled to find their closing play until late in the fourth quarter. They did so the tip of the captain Jilan Ramsey, But after that three and out and reughing the punter, the Raiders scored on four of their next five drives and then the pick at the end was the mistake you're looking for. But brock Bauer's thirteen catches for a Buck twenty six on sixteen targets. That's going to be a tape for team to try to roll out their tight ends against US with Hunter Henry next week, Tucker Kraft and Luke Musgrave.
Speaker 3: In two weeks.
Speaker 2: It's just worth knowing we'll see more tight end action after what Brock Bauers did in this game. I also want to just mention that Mike McDaniel mentioned the Seiler and Campbell combination is the heart and soul of this defense and I want to shout those guys out because they have played great and I thought Benito Jones had a really good game in this one as well. Speaking of who had good games, will break that all down. The Film Review podcast tomorrow coming your way on Monday evening, I should say. In the meantime, you all please be sure to subscribe, rate review the podcast. Follow me on social at winkld NFL and the team at Miami Dolphins. Check out my guys, Seth and Juice on the Fish Tank podcast as well as the YouTube channel for brand new episodes of Dolphins HQ, media availabilities, and so much more, and last but not least, Miami Dolphins dot Com until next time. Fins up Carolyn and Cameron, Daddy, he's coming home.