Speaker 1: Of the Law and Order franchises, SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on. These are our stories.
Speaker 3: Done done, Yay, that's messed up in SVU podcast Coming to you fast from I don't know what I'm doing.
Speaker 4: My name is Lisa. I'm a host.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 4: Hi, I'm the other host. My name is Kara. What can we get you?
Speaker 1: We are a podcast about Law and Order SVU the true crimes that the episodes are based on. And we like to talk to guests sometimes in our episodes, and first I like to catch up in chat.
Speaker 4: And we're back.
Speaker 1: We're back in the like just the recent time machine, the smaller time machine. We were or I was away for like two and a half weeks. We were on a little VACA and now we're back. But I was happy that on my VAK I got to see Lisa in person. I was on the East Coast.
Speaker 2: I mean, I can't say enough Colin Klank to have a ledge in the deep end of the pool. In the pool, I've been talking about it NonStop. I've never seen anything like it. But what a blessing to be able to sit on a ledge in the deep end with a cocktail on the pool.
Speaker 4: I can't. I love the ledge. I love the ledge.
Speaker 1: I also love it because, like Rosie wants me to swimmer to the deep end sometimes, and she can swim, but if she tries to grab onto me, it's like before she drones me.
Speaker 4: I have the ledge, you know what I mean. Yeah, I've anything like it.
Speaker 2: So that's a cool invention that I hope to see, you know, infiltrate the systems. I'm actually kind of a trendsetter. So I had Handy Andy come to town, to my house, not to town.
Speaker 4: I don't know why I'm speaking like this, but he hung up all my.
Speaker 2: Rt a class act like very good was able to do some tough pieces in the brick. But we put one of my art pieces in the fireplace, like I have non working fire buses.
Speaker 4: So it's hanging on the.
Speaker 2: Back of the fireplace which is painted black, and it's this pink Damien Davis piece, and I'm like, I've never seen that before. Like that's fucking cool that I have an innovative way to hang art. So I just I feel really cool and chic about that because everyone's like, oh, put candles there. I had toys in there, but whatever. But no, I'm gonna have a fucking actual art piece. Feels cool. Yeah, that's really fucking cool.
Speaker 1: I love that, cause every fireplace in New York City is pointless, like they don't work, so like, yeah, turned it into a little display. I was in the woods of Vermont for a week. That was fun as well. Had a great time with the kids. Rosie got to reunite with her little bff who moved to New Jersey, so that was cute.
Speaker 4: They had a little week together.
Speaker 1: Just for those of you that aren't worried or have been messaging me about the potty training journey, thank you so much. I will just update you that Oscar did poop his pants every single day of this vacation.
Speaker 4: So we are exactly where I left you. It's going on.
Speaker 1: He's very smart and he's very like articulate, and I'm kind of like, can you just poop in the potty? Can you put it where you put your pee? And he goes, I can't, it's not I can't do that. And he says a lot of crazy stuff about like I think he's fearful because the thing is he wears a pull up every night. If he really had to poop, he just poop in the pull up. He doesn't, he's scared to do it in the pot There's something going on. So we just have to get him over this roadblock, and we will and we will. There is a potty training specialist that's in the mom group. But I don't want to spend the money. So he won't shit in the pull ups. He'll only shit in his underwear. And my mom keeps going offer him a pull up, and I'm like, Mom, that's not it. He wears a pull up at night. He doesn't like, he'll he'll hold it in for like three days where he could easily at night, be like and let it go. Yeah, okay, I get that, but yeah, so I won't say every single day. He held it in for three days and then we had a nice time, you know, we had it. But then it's like the whole time, you're worried. Oh my god, and Colin, you know we're talking about Colin. My brother has lovely pool. Colin is you know, not a parent, and it's just like, okay, so he's not gonna poop in the pool, right, And I'm like, Colin, I swear to God on everything, I'm not gonna let him poop in your pool, like I will not, like, don't worry so and he hasn't.
Speaker 4: He's never done that in his life. Thank god.
Speaker 1: I've never been the source of a code brown but he Yeah, we're still working on it. So I appreciate all your messages and so of solidarity. A lot of you have messaged me that you're in a similar kind of hell. And I feel like this is the last hump. Once we get over this, the rest of parenting's gonna be smooth sailing. I don't even care what happens after that drug habit don't care. Uh, this is the worst thing that could possibly be. And I'm kidding obviously, but.
Speaker 2: Wait, what other activities besides shitting his pants did the kids do at camp?
Speaker 4: What are the hell?
Speaker 1: Well, Rosie loved like tried to do archery. She gets a little bit frustrated because she can't do archery with like the bows are huge, Like they're big, but they give them the smallest one, but they're too big for She's a five year old. And so she did a little bit of that, a lot of arts and crafts. You know, pearlar beads. You put them on like a thing, and then you you iron it and they they mold together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm talking about I knew that from the moment you said it. I was a big glad girl. Oh okay, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Rosie in the art barn Uh started to make a the flag of China. Basically, I don't know what else to say. She was doing a pearlar beads of the flag of China and I was like why.
Speaker 4: She was like, I just like it. It's red with the gold stars.
Speaker 1: I was like, okay, I mean, I guess they're gonna they're gonna own us all it one day, so you might as well gonna jump on it, Rosie. And then she mostly just played with her friends. It was a little bit of a rainy week. We got some beautiful days though she wasn't. She did a little bit of lake swimming, but you know, she's a she's an uppity California bitch, and she doesn't want to go into like water.
Speaker 4: She can't see the bottom.
Speaker 1: You know, she did some, but she the first day she really tried to take her swim test and she's a great swimmer, but the swim test is hard, like you have to do a full length and back and then you have to tread for two minutes. And that's just not the kind of swimming she does. Like she does flipping around, flopping, you know, doing whatever she wants. And she I was like, I think we should wait till you're six, and she was like, I'm gonna try it. And she tried it. She gave up halfway through. It didn't work.
Speaker 2: But did she know did she give up and go yeah, I'm out, or did she have a full meltdown.
Speaker 1: No, no meltdown. She just goes, I can't do this. I want to get out, and so she got out. We'll do it next year.
Speaker 2: I saw a kid having a meltdown during a swim test when I was home in Skokie.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, yeah, girl, you're not right. No you're not gonna get past because you're crying more, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If it was in a pool, I really think she could have done it. Just the water makes her too nervous, the dark water. But we had a blast. We had a really great time. A lot of my friends were there. I saw a lot of old friends. It was a lot of fun. I went to the Sunset Park pool giant. I felt like I was in the hype like in the musicals. It was the biggest public pool I'd ever been into.
Speaker 2: But New York hettie pools are such there's so many rules. It's like you everything needs to be in a locker. They watch you shower before you go in. You cannot bring a newspaper out there. You can have your phone anything, like there was an announcement going we see you with your phone and if you do not put it in your locker right now, you will be asked to leave. Like you cannot have anything but sunblock, a towel, sandals, you can't even you have to go out in your bathing suit and you can have I brought my goggles.
Speaker 4: Wait what, let's back up to the watching you shower.
Speaker 2: What do you mean, like now you have to sprits, you have to get you have to wet yourself in the shower.
Speaker 4: You know that's always the rule. Oh, in your suit, in your suit, in your suit.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, Okay, they're not there's not like a weird thing where they're like watching.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this isn't you know the concentration camp.
Speaker 3: No, well I mean you took there but yeah, yeah, yeah, no, the you're in your suit.
Speaker 4: They do not strip you naked. They do not cavity.
Speaker 1: So for some reason I was like, wait, what, like are they trying to make sure people don't have like I don't know, I don't know, I don't know what I was thinking.
Speaker 4: My mind just went to naked shower watching. I don't know.
Speaker 2: It is a high immigrant area, so it was interesting to watch, like the teens staff trying to explain you have to have a lock to an elderly man who is not really speaking English and find out the teens are like just go like.
Speaker 4: They couldn't handle.
Speaker 2: I like being like seeing the culture of elderly people who can't speak English and teens with summer jobs. I really like that coinciding in front of my face, Like that was pretty exciting to see.
Speaker 1: I took a kid to a public pool in New York once, but it was pretty like it was like a normal size. But this one you're talking about, and this one that in the Heights scene is filmed in, which is called the high Bridge Pool in Washington Heights.
Speaker 2: These are nuts. They're huge, huge for the whole time. I felt like I was in sand lot, like I was ready. Wow, oh I care. I saw the movies that I've wanted to see, you know, with our vacation time. So yes, I saw Inside Out too, and I saw Long Legs.
Speaker 4: Okay, thoughts and prayers.
Speaker 2: And then I read an article about Long Legs which I really liked on Vulture. But then I came home and watched this movie called Villains, and the actress from Long Legs is in it, and it's like a fully different person. I could not tell it all because at the end of Villains, I go, this girl's good, like this was exciting, googled it same woman, and I go, I just watched you in the same week, Like, how do I not know scream queen?
Speaker 4: Wait?
Speaker 2: Have you seen it follows? Yes, we've talked about it on here. Yeah we did.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm scarious movie I've ever seen. She's in that, right, yeah? Yeah, yeah, okay, Okay, Wait, so I'm gonna watch that.
Speaker 4: I think you're.
Speaker 2: Not gonna get You're not gonna.
Speaker 4: Get through it.
Speaker 2: I bet you want say, I don't even think you'll even make it a half hour.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, Now you're fucking you're fucking waving a red flag in front of me right now.
Speaker 4: You without I don't think you'll even last.
Speaker 2: I don't think you'll last because I've tried to rewatch and can't finish it again.
Speaker 1: But oh my god, Okay, that's so scary. Jared always goes, I think you'll like it. It's not super gory, and I'm like, okay, but it's not cory.
Speaker 2: It's not gory. It's tense. It's just very tense. Like I'm on edge. I am on edge, and I don't like, I can't even handle it. There are movies where like even in Bridesmaid it's like some of us on like the tensions too much for me, honestly. Yeah, like I don't like where I'm like, they're not gonna speak.
Speaker 4: I'm like I can't.
Speaker 1: Oh, kid, I need to know what you thought about those two movies though. Give me your ratings. Well Inside Out too, I enjoyed thoroughly.
Speaker 2: The kid pack at the movie theater is incredible at AMC and Union Square. Like usually when you get one of those kid boxes, you know, it's like a flat box and so the popcorn is just like, loosen this box, do you know have you ever gotten a kid pack?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: You always get this, No, but I know I got the idea. But you know, they're like a flat box, so this they aren't. It's a small little bag of popcorn and a drink, and for two dollars more you can get a real candy.
Speaker 4: And then the box all closes.
Speaker 2: Because in my head, I go, great, I'm gonna get this kid's pack and then I'm gonna fucking go to the bathroom with it.
Speaker 4: This sucks.
Speaker 2: And it was all closed and in this little bag, and I'd never seen a kid pack so good. I love it. I did need innovation. I needed more soda. I have to. I have to graduate from the kid pack. But for under ten dollars, I got a candy, a small popcorn, and a small drink. Like that kind of is unheard of. Like I do feel like I'm cracking some kind of code. Yeah, but anyway, I tell them light on the ice about the movie. Okay, so I loved it, but it's the exact same movie. It's like, uh, oh, I don't have control of her brain anymore. We're in this other thing and now we have to come back. Like it is the exact same movie. But I obviously, you know, I enjoyed it. I like sadness being a little hero. I liked the new Kid. I liked it. But it's it's the same but worse.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I thought it was like.
Speaker 1: The same but not as good and but not bad but so good, you know, not as good like I mean, I cried in Inside Out and then this one I was like, I didn'taid. I was also like running after Oscar, so I was not as focused, but I didn't.
Speaker 4: Cried inside Out too.
Speaker 2: But my another friend was like, oh, I cried in that movie, and I knew the exact moment, like the moment something happened. I go, this is where this bitch was crying. And I called her. I go, did you cry here? She goes, yeah, I go, I knew it, And it was just the purse. It was the moment where it's like maybe when you grow up, you just don't have joy in your life.
Speaker 4: And that made her cry.
Speaker 2: Oh even though our friend is doing great, it's fine, she'll be okay.
Speaker 1: Also, I don't have like a ton of anxiety. That's not like a plight of mine. And I think a lot of people really that really resonated with how anxiety takes over.
Speaker 4: All your other emotions.
Speaker 2: You don't think being a control freak is a manifestation of some sort of anxiety.
Speaker 1: Oh sure, sure probably, But I don't think I have like I guess I don't have like chronic anxiety. I don't have like you know. I'm not medicated for my anxiety or anything like that. You know, I think the anxiety is a huge problem for a lot of people. I wouldn't say I have I have it to that level. But yeah, you're right, No people have felt seeing for sure. I mean, you're sitting here telling me I've got a problem, So I guess I better look in the mirror.
Speaker 2: No, I just I assume if you want to control things, you are scared of something, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no I well, I'm not like sitting here being like I have no fears. I'm fearless, like I obviously have fear. It's like, I don't think anxiety like ruins my no, but it runs like other emotions.
Speaker 2: It helped me realize psycho comedians that we know or like people in our business because of like with Riley and Hockey, like suddenly when she loses her inner being and moral compass. She becomes someone that's like, if I'm good at hockey, I will have friends and I have to do anything I need to do to get good at hockey.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, I know psychopaths like this, I definitely do.
Speaker 2: And then Long Legs was so we but I liked that it was spooky.
Speaker 4: I'm like into it.
Speaker 2: It was Yellow Jacket Sea where you're like you think it's one thing and then it's actually something else, Like I haven't seen that many cop or like detective things where at the end it is just spooky.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean we should be yeah, like we should be able to talk about it now because it's so if you haven't seen Long Lives and you want to watch it fast forward, it's been out for months, but like I'm gonna give my review and there will be some spoilers.
Speaker 4: I just thought it was so good.
Speaker 1: Leading up to the end, and then because the the cinematography is amazing, the acting is good, like the vibe throughout the first half, I'm like, I am scared.
Speaker 4: I'm on the edge of my seat, what's happening.
Speaker 1: And then just at the end, it's just like, Hi, I'm just gonna tell you the story of everything that's happening, and then it's just an explanation at the end, Like the end of the movie is a nothing burger, and that bothered me, Like it the end, it's like, yeah, haunted doll, Like I don't know, it's just like I hated the end.
Speaker 2: Well, one of the things that I did screenshot in the Vulture article and it's an oz good quote, like the creator of it, but he was saying how the Devil's always behind her, and there's actually like Vulture has a series where there's the Devil is hidden in the background of all of these scenes. So that's kind of cool, Like you have to look at these photos because one you really really have to look, like it's not clear, but you see the devil everywhere, and the devil is guiding her. And basically what the Vulture article said was because the devil wants the worst thing possible, and her shooting her mother dead is the worst thing you can do, imagine, and that's why he lettered all of it. You know. It's like it's just like the devil wants to do devilish things, right, and there's not much more to it. It's just like demonic and so because we always are trying to find purpose and like why people are bad, and it's like, I don't know. The Devil's just bad and he wants it to be worse. Some people want to be Ursula, honey, you know, yeah, I just yeah, I guess, like no, but it was weird. I hated it the devil.
Speaker 1: I mean also like also, like Nick Cage is terrifying in it, Like that opening scene is so scary.
Speaker 2: Okay, he's screamed, I screamed, I shot But the man, it's so goofy.
Speaker 4: It's so goofy.
Speaker 1: Then yes, why are we then in his house watching him by himself? Why are we watching him drive his car? Because it's in the basement. He's he lives in the basement. I didn't know that of the mom's house.
Speaker 3: Oh he does. That's what I got from this vulture when I don't understand. Oh I didn't get that.
Speaker 2: That's what I mean. I don't get a lot of things, like True Detective. I remember when I watched that, I had to read every article and RecA I just don't get things. So that he lives in the mom's basement and that's why the bug comes out and she can't get into it and does it and she's like, what's down here?
Speaker 4: And he's living there.
Speaker 1: Oh, I didn't even put that together, so I'll be honest, I didn't get that. But like even watching him drive his car, it's like, let's leave him like this mysterious figure, Like I didn't really want there to be alone time with him. And then you know, Nick Cage is just fucking it's camp I mean, he's like camping it up with this character. Like, but there was a lot I liked about it, and I found going to watch it enjoyable. But I just was like the end was like it's it's all like a pop out to me. You know some movies it's like, oh, you're just trying to be so weird, and it's it's a full like marketing thing, like it's so it was so hyped as the scariest movie you'll see this year, and da da da, Like I don't know. I thought I had silence of the Lambs vibes at the beginning, like she's this weird little weirdo with her mom, and like, you know, I liked it.
Speaker 2: I thought Living City, I don't get why you have to be a lone female woman detective in the woods.
Speaker 1: Get a house I know with a neighbor, please living oh was living in the middle of nowhere. Get a dog or something like Jesus. Also, Blair Underwood SVU Alum is all one of the very few cast members.
Speaker 2: I have a huge Oh yeah, Blair Underwood. Of course, I'm sorry I got so hyped up. We were texting about this, but we do have a huge story. So I did a show in Connecticut and I'm talking to a listener and this is the story. So what's up Connecticut. So basically, she's a listener. She's in her car, she's listening to our episode Poison, whenever that episode came out with Tom Scarett, and we're talking about and this, I guess it's a nice time stamp.
Speaker 4: It's when I did Whippets.
Speaker 2: So I'm on, I guess the podcast talking about how I love whippets and how I only did it the one time. I've not done it since, but I did love it and I would do it again. And then you start saying, well, no, Colin our neurologist are podcast neurologist. He said that he has a patient who is fully brain dead. Paralyzed because of his whippet's addiction and how dangerous it really is. And this woman in the car realizes that her ex husband is Colin's patient and her that's who we were talking about. So she's listening to our podcast as just a podcast listener. Realizes your brother is the doctor of her ex husband who is brain dead because of fucking whippets.
Speaker 4: Well that's dark. It is really dark.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but she she didn't actly, it's the.
Speaker 4: Best thing that's happened to her.
Speaker 2: They got divorced, she has a daughter, she's doing a good job, she makes a lot of money. I mean, it is sad, of course. She's like, yeah, I saw him on OA. She didn't feel like it was a hip a violation.
Speaker 1: It's not like my brother gave away any describing details of this person.
Speaker 4: But wow, that was in her vibe. That wasn't her vibe at all.
Speaker 2: She I got a note hand it's me backstage from her and her friend like they were down to talk about it. They it honestly like repeating it. It is pretty dark, but hanging out with them was not dark. So it didn't really like settle with me, okay, but it was She's like, yeah, it was like Russia Shana, and I see him fucking doing whippets, you know, like at their family Russia Shaana. And that's like Steve O, like I might do it one more time, but now actually I might not because I don't.
Speaker 4: I can't risk it. Like he's never gonna know his child. It is sad. It's sad.
Speaker 1: I mean, I really can't see you doing whippets at Russia Shana. But yes, I mean you never know. It's like it's tough, like it sucks. Yeah, Like the first time I ever did ecstasy as it was called back in the day, Molly md me, Like I was like, oh, I shouldn't do this again. This is like the best thing ever, like I you know, like I was definitely and I have gone on to do it a couple of more times, but very very distance, big distances in between, because yeah, you gotta be careful, slippery slope.
Speaker 2: And I had another listener interaction. I went to the Brooklyn Cyclones game. But what's amazing was Friendship Bracelet night, and so I knew I was gonna get friendship bracelets and I made some and like they all say, Brooklyn and baseball, but it's because they can't call it Taylor Swift night. They played Taylor Swift the whole baseball game. Every game on the field was about Taylor Swift.
Speaker 1: Like it was wild. It was so cool, and I got just wow. Yeah, and you have the bracelets. Where did you get base all like charms? You ordered them or you went to do like a bead shop? Now, No, it was it was the Cyclones had Friendship bracelet night. They they gave us. Oh they had oh cute, Okay, they gave us. I thought you meant you made them in advance. Okay, I made some as well for the friends that came with me. I made Cyclones once, but then they gave me for clu. Yeah, because I was like, where'd you get baseball charms? You have like a bad dealer now, Like, but I do have some new beads. I have some new charms. I'm working diligently. I'm making a lot. I have like four bead projects happening at once at the moment. Next time I come to New York, I'm coming to the apartment. Now that I know the art is hung, I'm worried that I'm gonna be waiting into a pool of friendship bracelets by the time I get there.
Speaker 4: So there's SPADs.
Speaker 2: There's loose SPADs everywhere around my apartment. It's the new bobby pin. It's the new Bobby pin. Like I'll drop a bead and be like, well there, it's the new water bottle with one sip left. Oh my god, I'm money. They're still around. Wait, hold on, you went to see Oh Mary I'm Broadway.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yes, I went to see Oh Mary on Broadway. Very fun very funny show.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't really, I just I thought it was great.
Speaker 2: Well, so someone I know comes up to me and he goes, I finally met one person who didn't like it. And then when they told me who it was, I go, well, yeah, this man is in the closet. Of course he doesn't like a performance of like full gay absurdity. He'd and thought it was cheap or whatever because he's in the closet and married to a woman when he's clearly gay. And my friends started laughing. But it's like, bro, if you're the only person who doesn't like it, it's so I'm gonna tell you who it is so everyone can hear you laugh. Okay, yes, okay, I can't wait for you to nurse the chot. Are you ready? I'm gonna I want to time it perfect. You got the chat up? Okay, I got the chat up. I haven't hit Entrea. Okay, I hated it. Oh my god, that is so hilarious. Yeah, that's so oh my.
Speaker 1: God, crazily. I was talking about this person last night. Wow, I was talking about this person last night. I saw Eddie Redmain on my walk to see Oh Mary. When I saw it, Oh, because he's on Broadway too, so we saw each other.
Speaker 2: You saw the Danish girl. He probably told us. I bet he told his friends too. I saw some woman. Oh my god, that's why. Okay, we I mean, we've been gone for so long. Oh, if anyone can help me, I guess I'll bring this up. So I have like a new one two three, there's like I have a new like hook thingy. But outside of keys, what else am I hanging on the hooks an umbrella? There's still four more hooks left? What are people hanging on their hooks?
Speaker 1: Oh, you'll think of stuff like let's say you're like doing a like a gig one.
Speaker 4: Time or something like.
Speaker 1: I don't know, there might be something you need like a security pass, like don't forget it every day, you know, or like security.
Speaker 4: Yes, I don't know, Like we're not gonna do work at the un no.
Speaker 1: You know if you work on like a TV production or something like that where there's like past Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Guess who I'm at.
Speaker 2: Someone that's a party planner who does the Vanity Fair Oscar party and they're gonna do this.
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I said, what's the most expensive party that you plan?
Speaker 1: I bet you peppered them with questions.
Speaker 2: What's the most expensive you asked? I said, what's the most expensive event you guys have done? And he said the Vanity Fair Oscar party, And all of a sudden, I went, okay, like we have a convo.
Speaker 4: Go in now. Yeah that's fun. Yeah, that was the threat. Get them to come on the pod. We'll do it.
Speaker 2: Oh. Also, thank you to everyone that came to show and tell at Union Hall. I'm and I do another one in October. Casey is getting mad at us, but I it's he's pissed.
Speaker 4: We will not stop talking.
Speaker 1: Every time we say that, though, they send us messages that are like tell Casey to shut up, and it's like Casey's not really doing anything that bad. It's not like he's fuming. He's sitting here grinning with his cute baby like he's not mad at us.
Speaker 4: I think he's just like, Wow.
Speaker 1: Every minute you guys ramble about nonsense is more time I have to edit to make you sound normal.
Speaker 4: No, but thank you for coming.
Speaker 2: Everyone was so funny and so down the clim and I'm doing it again in October, so come to show amazing.
Speaker 1: It was so speaking of thank you, Yes, I would hope to come be on be at one on one at some point.
Speaker 4: That sounds so fun.
Speaker 1: But if you want to see Lisa Moore, go to That's Messed Up live dot com. Go to the Lisa's website tab that has her link. Treat all her ticket links. And if you guys haven't, if you've been living under a little pumpkin, we are doing a Spooky season tour. We're going to be in Denver on October sixteenth, Phoenix on October seventeenth, San Diego on the twentieth, Los Angeles on the twenty first, San Francisco on the twenty second, and Portland on the twenty third. We're going bing Bang bong baby and listen and Lisa's in San Diego the eighteenth, nineteenth, doing that before the before we I'm.
Speaker 2: Doing like a many fall winter tour random dates until the special drops. So you come to see me, Come see me, mostly Toronto. We need Toronto, and that's.
Speaker 4: Gonna be I am.
Speaker 1: We're pretty positive these are going to be our only tour dates for the coming fall and winters.
Speaker 4: So we'll see you guys in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: But if you live remotely close to any of these locations, come come make the track because this is the only all we're offering for twenty twenty four. And yeah, that's messed up. Live dot com has all those ticket links. Don't Google because people are always telling us like I Googled and then I got a I got a bad ticket link. I got scammed. Just we have all the correct links on our site. And yeah, should we get started. We've got a great episode lined up for you.
Speaker 4: Here we go.
Speaker 1: Okay, today we are doing the episode Dearly Beloved from season twenty, episode nineteen. This air two days after Rosie's birthday April fourth, twenty nineteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do you watch it at the hospital? I don't think I watched it at the hospital.
Speaker 1: I probably definitely had it on MYDVR when I got home and was probably watching it while I dealt with the new days of motherhood. And this episode starts with the song Dreams by Beck playing.
Speaker 4: I don't know that off the top of my head.
Speaker 1: I just watched with the captions on, and you know, the show doesn't often pay for known music, but when they do, it's music by a scientologist.
Speaker 4: And so, I mean Beck is a scientologist. I didn't know that well.
Speaker 1: I've always heard he was a scientologist, but now I'm now I'm googling it and I'm seeing like a Daily Beast article from twenty nineteen claiming saying Beck claims he was never a scientologist, but Lea Remeni and others call bs so I could be one of those things where he grew up in it, but like now as an adult, he doesn't.
Speaker 4: He doesn't take it. And I like Beck's music. I'm not. I was just kind of trying to make a joke.
Speaker 1: But you know, Mike Rinder famously from the Scientology show that Lea Remeni made and her they don't think they were, Like, he's acting like he was never a scientologist, but like that's because now he's getting labeled like he's never gotten attack like we did and blah blah blah. So Remedie says, pussy move, you can.
Speaker 4: Quote me on that. What are you gonna do? I'm not going to fight le A Remedy on anything. Okay.
Speaker 1: So the groom is like, you know, the guy is polishing his shoes, buttons, cuffs, getting his boat tie on.
Speaker 4: It's definitely a wedding. And this groom is like, there's a crease in my collar? Are my eyebrows too bushy?
Speaker 1: And I guess I just like really never considered a groom ever caring that much. Like I always assume groom's just like strapped on that cumber bund and got out there. But as this guy seems very invested, he gets a call from an unknown number and he can't believe someone is calling him on his special day. But it could be a patient. It's he's a shrink. So we cut to the gals and the bridal suite and they seem much more chill, like one of them is like I have weed and like they're drinking champagne. The vibe is upbeat, and the bride goes, I'm getting married today, and if I'm lucky pregnant tonight and I'm like, oof, queen, it's your day, but not my not on my list of goals for my wedding night. Okay, So then the bride's dad walks her down the aisle. The beck is still playing. The wedding is at a church. Everyone looks excited. The priest starts his god talk and immediately launches in to speak now or forever hold your piece, And who should stand up but Sharie Appleby the actress who played the victim in the episode Military Justice that we've covered that just aired in the SVU Universe five seasons ago. She's so recognizable to me and like having her be the main victim of two episodes with only five seasons, Cushion, That's kind of what I mean when I say it takes me out of it a little bit, because, like, you know, but also love her and unreal. I think she plays like sort of unlike lightly unstable. I think she plays it really well. She interrupts to tell the shocked crowd that the groom raped her gasps everywhere like the whole crowd. Obviously, this is hundreds of extras. They are all gasping. In the next scene, Crisy and Benson are there on the case and he's like, fada, what's up like talking to the priest, and the priest is like, I don't know who else to call. Everyone's inside, but it's not pretty inside. The vibes are in shambles. Sharie Apple be aka Kitty Bennett is like, I'm sorry, I was just trying to help. Like her reaction is truly wild. She's like, why is everybody so upset? Like she doesn't understand, like the bombshell she's just dropped, I guess. The groom refuses to walk away from his possible bride to be to talk to Careesy, and the bride is just sobbing to her mother. Benson takes Kitty away and she yells, Lana, one day, you'll thank me for this, And one of the bride'smaids is like, bitch, shut the fuck up and like try to let to rap at her. Yeah, I love her. She's like, you psycho, bitch, get out of here. You just ruin my friend's life. Benson breaks it up and Kitty's acting like she just told the bride that she had toilet paper on her shoe. She's like, I just wanted somebody to know, like she's acting really, really weirdly nonchalant, and Benson goes, well, now everybody does know. And now we're at the credits and Rowins is here now and she and Benson are talking to Kitty.
Speaker 4: The groom.
Speaker 1: Josh Hensley, who they referred to as doctor Hensley a lot throughout the episode, is a therapist, so I don't know if he's they call him a psychologist. So later, so he's a psychologist and he's the groom. She says she went to see him on December eleventh. She knows the exact date without having to look at a date book or a palm pilot or anything, and it was a few months after her mom died. She said she saw him after work. A receptionist had booked the appointment, but she must have gone home at that point. He was really nice and professional.
Speaker 4: At first.
Speaker 1: She told him her story that she's the only child that her dad left and she just missed her mom so much. She started to cry, and that's when he came and sat next to her on the couch and he asked to give her a hug, and he said it was normal and Live goes it's not, and it's like, okay, Live, you're correct, But also, mister Noodle bought you jewelry, so I don't know if you know the actual line on therapy therapist's behavior. So then he started to stroke her hair, and she said she knew it wasn't normal, but she was too scared to stop them. He pushed her back, put his hand up her skirt. She told him to stop, he didn't listen. He forced himself on her, and she said she just laid there like a rag doll until it was done. Now we cut to Hensley, the groom, and he's freaking out like I'm with a detective on my wedding day, Like he truly has bride vibes, And he says he has no idea who Kitty even is, but she just ruined the best day of his life. Kitty tells liv she never told a soul about the attack. She was too ashamed and she was afraid that no one would believe her. The next day, she called in sick to her job, and then like after that, she ended up missing so much work over this incident that the job let her go. So they asked her, have you had any contact with him after the assault, and she just shakes her head. And then they're like, well, how'd you find out about the wedding? And she says on Instagram and she goes, I never thought the police would be getting involved. And it's like, ma'am, you've leveled a huge accusation at a two undred wedding, Like, come on now, Like, I don't understand how you thought the cops were not going to be involved at all. She's like, I just wanted him to be punished and humiliated, like I was, I guess. And then back to Josh. He needs to talk to Lana and Rollins is like, what's up?
Speaker 4: Dog? Like?
Speaker 1: She says she was your patient and he's like that's not true. That never happened. There's no appointment, and Crisey's like, we'll go find out, and he goes, let's go to my office right now. There's no file, no billing record, nothing, And they're like, well, why would she accuse you?
Speaker 4: And he's like, I have no clue.
Speaker 1: So then Rollins goes into guy's girl mode, you know, she goes, maybe it was like a fling, you know, maybe it was like a last hurrah before your wedding.
Speaker 4: I know how you guys do.
Speaker 1: And he's like, I have never ever cheated on Laana And he's like, this will destroy me.
Speaker 4: You guys got to help me.
Speaker 1: Like you're honestly on his side, like a little bit at the beginning, You're like, wow, is she just like making this up out of nowhere? Because it's just weird that there would be zero connection that that's what he's maintaining. Back at the precinct, Benson is like, Kitty seems like a typical victim and Crisey's like yeah, but the dude swears he's never seen her. And Ben's like, well, why don't you guys go confirm that the appointment happened. So now they're at Chelsea Medical and a receptionist is on the phone making an appointment for a chemical peel. So this is this receptionist handles all kinds of things from chemical peels to therapy. Okay, we got lip injections to hysterectomies. I don't know what's going on at Chelsea Medical. And they're like, Hi, we're from SVU. You know what that is, right, you watch TV? We need to confirm an appointment, And she's like, oh, doctor Hensley's on his honeymoon. She's like just sort of not getting it, and they're like, we know, sweetie, we just need to look at his appointment book. And she's like, isn't that like a hip of violation and Creasy goes h no, because we don't need to see medical records, so it's cool, which.
Speaker 4: Is a lie.
Speaker 1: I mean, the whole reason why you write your name now on like stickers when you sign in to medical offices is because then they remove the sticker immediately. Because sign in sheets are a hip of violation. You can't just show people Like technically, I'm not even allowed to say, Lisa, I know you go to doctor so and so on this podcast. That's like a violation of HIPPA, you know, like.
Speaker 4: Not what you've had done a doctor.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: But if okay, so.
Speaker 1: If I worked at a doctor's office because I worked at my mom's office and I had to get hip A certified, and if I said, oh, you've been a patient of my mom's for a long time, that would be a hip of violation, like because even though it's just a pediatrician, you know, like even though it's like you know, that's not likely like releasing anything about your medical actual history.
Speaker 4: It's a violation even to say who your doctor is.
Speaker 1: So Cariese kind of fudges it, and the girl gets the book and the calendar and there is no appointment for that date, but there is one for seven fifteen, and it says Hannah Berkowitz with a phone number, and they are written in pencil. Careesy points out, so they could have been changed, and the lady's like, well, yeah, I guess if the client changes, but you can also tell when something's been erased in pencil, and there's there was nothing in the six fifteen slot.
Speaker 4: So on the way out, Cariese says.
Speaker 1: He memorized the phone number by Hannah's name, so if Kitty was there, maybe Hannah saw her leave. So now they're at a toe above the rest ballet studio, and I'm it's I don't really think ballet's studios do kind of like cute sceneames like that. But maybe maybe I'm wrong, and she's talking to Hannah Brookowitz.
Speaker 4: I just don't think like to's should be in the name of anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, toe should be men's toe should be illegal, as you've said previously, which I do think would be good merch.
Speaker 2: I could have been a bow above the rest, a bow above the a bun above the yeah buds.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know, we could have done something better.
Speaker 1: And Hannah Brookwitz is played by Poppy Lou who if you watch Hacks, she is Debra's blackjack dealer and a very funny character. And she actually posted a very cute photo from the set of her and Lucy Lou, who directed this episode in case anybody Yeah, Lucy Lou directed this episode, and she says in the caption that their cousins, and she's likelu she was like, oh my god, so honored to work with you. You're one of my like Asian female role models. But then she also mentions family again, so I do think maybe they're related, and she goes, Lucy Lou does whatever she wants, like casting me as Hannah Burkowitz lol, because I mean I think clearly that as you know, really seem like who you'd imagine when you imagine a hannahburk Witz. And she said they spoke Mandarin on the set to one another, and she was like so pumped she got to work with Lucy low so kind of some cute behind the scenes if we couldn't get Poppy Lou on the pod, we at least got her Instagram caption. So talking to Rollins and Careese, she goes, oh, yeah, that night December eleventh. You don't even have to tell me twice again. Nobody checks their calendars. Everyone knows exact I don't know where I was two days ago. I have to look at my Google calendar for everything. I would be I would be charged with a crime. Like I would be like, I don't know me. Like if they took my phone and they were like, you can't look at your Google calendar, I'd be like, I'm sorry, I can't tell you, like where I was, I have no idea.
Speaker 4: So it's wild.
Speaker 1: She goes, oh, yeah, December eleventh, I know showed my appointment that night. I had a big recital in Philly. Was like getting back to the city because of traffic in the tunnel, like she knows so many details. Rollins is like, Okay, doctor Hensley, did he ever do anything weird with you?
Speaker 4: Like, try anything?
Speaker 1: And she's like, I'm gay actually, and doctor Hensley helped me come out two years ago. She's like, is he in some kind of trouble and Caresey Cresy probably shouldn't be answering, like as a cop, I don't think you're supposed to like give out more information. And Creasy goes, one of his female patients may have had some issues, and I think that's too much to disclose. But Hannah goes, wait a minute, is her name Kitty Bennett? And they're like, how do you know who Kitty Bennett? And she's like, well, I don't know her in real life, but she stalked me on Instagram. She's like, I left a comment on one of doctor Hensley's photos, So again I have to I should have also called this out earlier, when we found out that Kitty found out about the wedding from his Instagram. I don't think most therapists have their instagrams open. I don't think if they do, they're not letting their they're not letting patients follow them, you know, like they probably restrict their follower like, you know, there's just no way. So she commented on her therapist's photo, and then Kitty started following her, dming her, insisting they get coffee to talk about the doc, and Hannah's like, I don't even tell my best friend about my therapy. I'm not going to spill my guts to some rando, especially about this doctor who basically saved my life. And she said she responded to Kitty's first message, but that unfortunately gave her license to write her every single day for a month. And Hannah's like, finally I had to block like and she goes that chick is straight up psycho. So that's the end of Act one. At the top of AC two, Rollins is busting into the precinct. She's like, I tracked down three of Hensley's other patients, so they all had glowing reviews. Kitty Bennett, on the other hand, has a record disorderly conduct, shoplifting a restraining order, and the restraining order was filed by a guy named Bo Albrecht.
Speaker 4: So they go talk to Bo.
Speaker 1: And he's telling Rollins and Creasy that Kitty is quote unquote looney Tunes. He said he met her one set of cooking class, complimented her sou.
Speaker 4: Fle and then she blew up his Facebook messenger.
Speaker 1: He says he was just trying to be nice, but then she found out he was a trainer. She started sending him daily videos of herself exercising and sexy jym outfits. He told her he had a girlfriend. She accused him of leading her on, so he blocked her. She started harassing the girlfriend, like showing up at her waitressing job. That's when he got the restraining order. So Live brings Kitty into her office to clear some shit up, and she's like, you've engaged in some stalking behaviors, ma'am, and she goes, well, BO said he was single and I apologized in court. Like It's like this is where I think Shori Applebee is good because at this point I'm like, oh, yeah, this woman is kind of like a little bit off her rocker like, and she's like, I just I thought he was single. And then Liv brings up Hannah and Kitty's like, okay, okay, yeah, sure I may have crossed the line with Hannah, but I was just desperate to talk to someone who knew doctor Hensley to understand why he targeted me.
Speaker 4: And Liv says, well, there's no record.
Speaker 1: Of the appointment, and to me, that doesn't make any difference, Like he could have bought a completely new appointment book after he rapes a patient, you know what I mean, Like in a pencil book if it was like a computer thing where you can like track things that have been deleted and this and that. Okay, a penciled in date book. I'm not buying it. So she's like, what are you saying? I made this up? And Lives like no, but yeah, and Kittie's like, look, I'm not some choir girl.
Speaker 4: I fucked up.
Speaker 1: But that's why he thought he could get away with this, and that is something we've seen that is like predators know who to choose right, Like we've seen that lives like, let's start over. I want to believe you. I need you to help me. Are there any details that you can remember, like smells, anything from you know, the attack, and she goes, I just remember lying on that red leather couch, staring up at the ceiling and praying for it to be over. So now Rollin's and Creasy are at this very beautiful a loft apartment of doctor Hensley and Lana, and He's like, my leather couch is burgundy, not red, and Careesy goes red Burgundy. We're not really sure w William's here. And I liked that. I enjoyed that a lot because this guy's like a fool like red Burgundy's in the Red Family Dog, So how would she know about the red leather couch at all if she was never in your office? And Lana pipes in and goes, well, it's on his website. There's a picture of him at his desk and you can see the couch in the background. And Chrisy asks, well, is there any chance that you had some kind of interaction with this woman that she construed as flirtatious? And He's like, I can't think of anything, and Lana's like, does this woman have a history of this kind of thing? And the cops obviously are like not going to share that, but they're like, did anything weird like come up on your phone or on social media that has been like strange lately? And the couple like share a look, and then Lanna's like, well, actually, last month, someone sexted Josh a bunch of nude pics and Hensley's like, I didn't think of it because it didn't seem connected. The photos were all different women, like pulled from a pornos site.
Speaker 4: I thought it was spam.
Speaker 1: And then Lana brings up a dating profile and at first it seems like Josh is like, don't like, you know, but then they don't really comment on that again. And someone emailed Lana a link to Josh's dating profile page and he's like, I've never online date and she's like, and I could tell after I looked at it for a while that the page was fake, Like all the pictures were from Google. Some of the info was wrong. But I mean, honestly, if you are going to cheat, you are going to put wrong info. But the pictures from Google is not a good. Is not a good, but she said. Lana says she replied to the email that sent her the link and it bounced back. Then they're like, oh, and also, we had a burglary at our apartment two months back. They reported it to the police, but nothing was stolen, so they figured it was just kids. All they did was poor tomato juice all over our wedding invitations. Okay, bloody Mary. So now Rollins and Benson are talking to Kitty and she's like, now they're saying I burgled them, and Rollins is like, the text the fake dating profile, they all track back to your old job, and Kitty's like, I was just trying to protect Lana, to tell her the truth about her fiance. I guess I get that with the fake dating profile, Why did you just send him a bunch of nudes of people from a pornos site. That's what I don't get. That doesn't I don't see.
Speaker 4: What that does.
Speaker 3: But you know, yeah, like she is nutty nutty, But the look of this man, I don't trust this man at all.
Speaker 4: The moment I saw him, I was like, not not my kind.
Speaker 1: I know. I feel actually like a loser because like I believe him for the first quarter of the episode, like I'm like, and then after I was like, oh wait, I know this up. Like I was like, yes, this guy's bad, but I cannot believe you were tricks by him. I was tricked a little bit because I don't understand the doubling down. We're going to get into it, obviously, but the doubling down of I don't have any idea who this person is. It's like there's evidence of everybody meeting each other, like anyone you've spent time with, there's evidence of that pretty much. You know, cameras, you don't know about d Like, it just seems like an idiot's thing to go. I never heard of that person, you know, and to be so adamant. Let's go to my office right now and check it out. I think that's like why I was believing it, but I'm dumb. I'm hating myself. But also I think she emailed those pictures because she wanted, like Lana to find them and be like, you're cheating. These are your girlfriends or something. But feels he could be like these are famous porn stars. Look at But so now Rollins is like, okay, so maybe you met him somewhere and you thought he was single and you felt disappointed, And She's like, no, I saw him for therapy, And I'm like, can't they just like dump her phone records to see if she called to make the appointment, or like triangulate GPS to see if she was at the office the day that she said, like she has a date and a location.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I famously listened to Cereal twice through, so I'm very interested in cell phone towers. Liv Is like, Babe, there are so many inconsistencies. We're just trying to figure out what happened. And then Kitty like runs to the bathroom and throws up, and then Benson clocks a pregnancy test in the trash. She asks, Kitty, are you pregnant? And she says, after the rape, I missed a period. I thought it was just stress, and then the nausea started, So I honestly just took a pregnancy test right before you guys got here. She's like, I'm pregnant and he did this to me, and it's like, okay, let's test this fetus.
Speaker 4: This is actually a great break in the case, you know.
Speaker 1: So at a medical facility getting blood drawn, Kitty's telling Live about how she always dreamed of being a mom. She had a baby doll with a bottle when she was little, and her imaginary husband was a prince named Sebastian. And then, very nonchalant, she just goes, I never thought my baby's father would be a man who raped me, Like she's just saying, it's so nonchalant, You're like, what's happening. Live's face gets weird as she tells the Emmy like put a rush on that blood work, and then she's like, a judge can't force me to keep the baby right and lives like no, and neither Conductor Hensley and Kitty goes good because I could never love a baby that was conceived by a monster, and Live follows her with a kind of look on her face, and Kitty's like, you don't think I should keep it, do you? And Lives like whatever you decide, and now Live I get it, like once per season they slap you in the face with somebody being like, how could I ever keep.
Speaker 4: The child of my rapist?
Speaker 1: And like we do know that Olivia is a child of rape, and like, I think we need to like let this lady do her thing. Like it is weird how much she is getting involved in making faces and stuff. Especially season twenty, Katy wants to know what Live would do, and Live as usual is struggling with being able to like say her truth.
Speaker 4: She's like, it's hard for me to be objective. You're really raw right now.
Speaker 1: With some distance, you'll realize that this baby is half yours. No matter what happened to you, he or she the baby, it's not their fault. And She's like, weird, it's weird. It's weird, and I'm going to talk about it more later for sure, and she's like, but if I wait, and it's too late, and Lives like, maybe talk to someone, and Kitty goes like another psychologist. Thanks, I'm good. Like literally, it's so weird, it's very it's just wild. After twenty seasons, like we know this character, Like we know what Olivia would do, and there's a lot of out of character shit in this episode for her, Like I don't think she would suggest to someone who is just raped by their therapist to go to a therapist right away, Like I think she would probably be like there's counselors women that you can speak to, you know, Like and anyway, He's like, as soon as these labs come back, I'm going right to the clinic and I'm getting rid of this thing. And I don't know why Olivia's having such a reaction. I literally wrote down, I go suddenly she's a crisis pregnancy center employee, like lying basically being like, actually, your baby's already fully talking in the womb, you know, so like we still aren't positive that she's not that she's telling the truth, Like we don't know yet. Liv looks upset, like she's going to be sick or something, and then she steps into the stairwell of the hospital and she's like breathing heavily and has to like calm herself down that's really wild to me. This woman has watched a lot of pregnant women terminate their rapist children on this show, and I think has advised for it, And now suddenly, in season twenty, it's coming over her with such a rush that she has to go be privately.
Speaker 4: Catching her breath. I don't get it.
Speaker 1: Back at the precinct, doctor Hensley's getting swabbed and saying this woman must have a personality disorder and she needs help. He's like, once these labs come back, I'm cleared, right, and Rollins is like, not necessarily, and Creasey's like once up at a time, but Hensley's like, well, one thing I know is that I'm going to sue the shit out of this woman, and like I'm taking her for every penny in her bank account. After this is all over, And the next scene, Liv is like looking forlornly through the blinds of her office, you know, once again, thinking about being the child of an assault, and Rollins comes in and is like you okay, babe, and Live goes sure in a way that basically means when am I ever okay? And Rollin says, Kitty is not your mom, and Live goes well, she might as well be. She actually recalls hearing her mom say on the phone when she was fifteen, the words quote, how could I love someone that was conceived by a monster? And yeah, Kitty said those words verbatim. So I bet that that is very triggering. But we've never heard that before. Like that, lives mom treated her like she was on the phone. Yeah she was on the phone. She was on the phone, but.
Speaker 2: I didn't say it to her, but I think she was a drunk, Like I think she probably did mean it.
Speaker 1: She wasn't drunk, But at this point, the girl's fifteen, Like I could see you saying that when they're like a baby and you're becoming a new mom and.
Speaker 4: You're like, how do I look?
Speaker 1: It's like she's fifteen, Like this is around the time where Livia Benson starts dating older college professors and shit, you're gonna have bigger fish to fry than whether you light love her or not.
Speaker 4: You gotta help her.
Speaker 1: So I don't know, I don't This is all like not jibing with me, just with like the past. Live has wet eyes, she's very emotional, so obviously this is the moment Careese bursts in and he's like, DNA results are in. It's a match, done, done, And then I wrote, is this guy a fucking psychopath? And like the answer is yes, Like that's what I like when you're watching this movie, this episode. I know that they're doing this on purpose, but like the doubling down, the I don't even know her, there is no record, there is no evidence take my DNA in this twenty previous seasons of this show, whenever somebody willingly offers DNA, they take that as like, this guy's probably not guilty because he's willingly offering DNA.
Speaker 4: Does this man think that he is outsmarting DNA?
Speaker 1: Or maybe he doesn't know there's a pregnance he must otherwise why is he giving his DNA?
Speaker 4: Right? So, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Liv goes pick him up, so Rollin's and caresy bang on his door.
Speaker 4: He opens it and he's like what now, And it's like, what do you mean? What now? You?
Speaker 1: You are acting like you've done nothing. You have literally been matched. They're like, bad news, Doc, the paternity test came back and you're it. Lana looks like she's been punched in the gut, like she doubles over, like she is upset.
Speaker 4: Henley's like, this is a mistake.
Speaker 1: And they're like, DNA doesn't liebro and he's like, Lana, listen, I did not rape that woman.
Speaker 4: She says, shut up, shut up for once in your life. Shut up.
Speaker 1: You're like, okay, trouble in paradise. I thought, you know, these two were a solid front. But she's like, shut the fuck up, you idiot, and Carisee's like, I'm gonna go with your wife on this one. Why don't you shut your damn pie hole. He tells Lana he loves her, don't give up on me. As Cariese's like hauling his ass off down the hauling cuffs. In interrogation, Hensley is still sitting there going I didn't rape Kitty, and Benson's like, okay, so are you? Like is she the virgin Mary? Like, how the hell did she get pregnant with your child? And he says I lied about one thing and Benson goes, oh, only one, and he goes, okay, more than one. Kitty and I had consensual sex, he says, three times before I ended it. I couldn't admit it before, and Benson goes, yeah, conveniently, now that the DNA's come back, You've admitted it. And he's like, well, she accused me of rape in front of my entire family, and Benson's like, yeah, it would have been like a lot easier for you to just be like, oh my god, sorry, I had a wild affair with this woman for three days, like three months ago, and it's over and I didn't you know whatever. But Benson's like, you think you're really convincing, and you're convincing everyone around you, and I don't believe a word that comes out of your mouth. And He's like, hear me out, and Benson's like, all right, for shits, let's hear it. He goes Kitty was never my patient. We met at a bar around the corner, the empty room. It's a block from Kitty's apartment. Corisie and Rollins are watching on the other side of the mirror, and Rollins is like, so much for not cheating on your wife, you know, or your fiance. He goes on that Kitty was sitting at the bar alone. He bought her a drink, talked to her for ten minutes and realized how easy this.
Speaker 4: Was going to be.
Speaker 1: And then they're like, why did so you already like hate him now because it's like, why would that even be a thing that you're like talking about the game of it all, Like you just realized within ten minutes that you could fuck this woman, like you're gross. So why does she claim she was your patient? They're like, and he says, because she's vindictive, and he's like, you don't believe me, and Live goes, well, lie to me once you know, she's like, fool me once. Shame on, shame on me, right, noot, shame on you. Sorry, I'm George W. Bush right now, he says, Okay, the second time we slept together, she gave me a key to her apartment four B and he throws the key down on the table. He's got it in his pocket because he has it on him at all times, and he had it when he was arrested surprise in the middle of the night. So at Katy's apartment building, Rollins is winded from taking the stairs the elevators out. Cariese's asking is live okay with all this? And Rolind's like it's been tough, but she's hanging in there. They knock on the door, no one answers. They try the key. It doesn't work. Rollins is like, why play with us on this whole key thing? Like, and then Careese clocks the security camera that's up in the hallway and goes roll footage to quote Lisa. Is it Lisa that says that roll footage from?
Speaker 4: So it's like, why am I blanking on her last name?
Speaker 1: Barlow? Lisa Barlow? She's always like and nah, roll footage. So next scene, Benson, Rollins, and Creasy are gathered around for a little show of the footage, and on it you can see Hensley arriving, knocking at the door, Katie opening the door in a sexy dress, and then kissing him, like them embracing and making out so pretty wild.
Speaker 4: The security camera got that.
Speaker 1: I feel like, normally you'd let someone in, shut the door, then kiss, but you know, they couldn't keep their hands off each other and lives like they're both liars. Done done, Okay, So now they show this. They're showing this footage to Kitty and she's like, I know how this looks, and she's like, okay, so I did sleep with him a few times, but it was after he raped me in his office.
Speaker 4: I'm not lying about that.
Speaker 1: And they're like Josh says, you guys met at a bar and the bartender confirmed seeing you together. She goes, yeah, but that was a few days after my appointment. And they're like an appointment that nobody can confirm. And then they're like, did you give him your kety apartment? She goes, yeah, but I changed the locks after he dumped me, and Rollins says, like, is that what this is about right now? You were hurt, slept with him and found out he was engaged. She goes, no, that's not what happened. She says, after he raped me, I went to confront him outside his office. She said she was going to the cops, and then he talked her out of it. He insisted they go to a bar so he could explain himself. He said she wanted to be overpowered. There's a condition for it. It's called erotic rape fantasy disorder. How she played with her hair, how she'd cross her legs so he could see up her skirt, that she was seducing him. All of these were factors that he diagnosed in her.
Speaker 4: And then you took him home.
Speaker 1: They asked her and she's like, he said, I had intimacy issues. That the grief for my mom was masking my real problems and that he was going to help me.
Speaker 4: Work it out.
Speaker 1: She says she's sorry, she knows she screwed it up, and she's like, is he in jail now?
Speaker 4: And they're like, well, he was a rain, but he made bail.
Speaker 1: So if he gets in touch with you, you've got to tell us and lives like, we're going to continue investigating, and they're like, there's nothing else you're hiding and she's like, no, nothing else, and I'm sorry I didn't tell you the whole truth. And of course, as they're walking out, Lana's at the front desk, the wife the fiance. Kitty goes off immediately like what are you doing here? I'm the victor, you're not the victim.
Speaker 4: I am.
Speaker 1: I have your disgusting fiance's baby and my belly. Like she's like really going off on this woman, and Lana's like, please leave me alone. Robins tells Kitty to chill. Lana's like, why does she hate me so much when she's the one that destroyed my life? And then Benson takes Lana in her office and she's like, well, that could be Josh's fault.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Lana's like, last weekend, I was walking down the aisle and this nightmare just keeps getting worse. Or it's the I'm like, or it's the greatest bullet dodge of all time, bitch, like you should run. She tells Benson that Josh finally admitted the affair, and Live asks how did you guys first meet? And Lana goes, oh, Josh was my therapist and it's like, uh, like the groan that I groaned, Like she said, well no, but we didn't start seeing each other until he stopped being my therapists. Like, I'm a real estate broker and he reached out so I could help him find a loft in Manhattan, and I was going out with another guy and he convinced me to break it.
Speaker 4: Off, and Lives like did you want that?
Speaker 1: And then Lana like dodges the question, and she's like, Josh was always a really great boyfriend. He taught me about classical music, Russian novels, took me to galleries and museums, and lives like, is that shit you like to do? And Lona's like, Josh makes all the decisions, like she's like a robot, and Benson's like, what do you mean, and She's like, like in the bedroom, he likes to be dominant, and then liv goes, is that what you like? And Lana goes sure, but like in the same way that Live said sure earlier, like not really. So at the coffee machine, Rollins asked to Live like, oh, how to go with Lana and Lives like, oh, she's a hot mess and Hensley's doing a number on her. She tells Rowlinds the whole story. She's like, get this' he was her therapist. They discuss how this guy knows exactly how to manipulate Lana.
Speaker 4: His power over her is almost pathological.
Speaker 1: Benson thinks Kitty was telling the truth and Rollins is like, yeah, we've seen victims before go back and sleep with their rapists. And this is literally the plot of the movie l with Isabelle Upeer that I mentioned when we covered Shattered a couple weeks ago, so not to give it away, I went to the Wikipedia of it, but like, essentially the plot of the movie is this woman is raped and then she begins to sort of like play a cat and mouse like courtship game with her rapists, where she continues to have sexual contact with him.
Speaker 4: So obviously that's deeply.
Speaker 1: Psychological and I'm not going to comment on why anyone would do that. But we've seen people on this podcast. We've talked about people that message their rapists afterwards flirt with them. You know, there's all kinds of reasons people do things like this. CARIESI interrupts and is like, guys, the police are responding to a nine one one call at Hensley's place.
Speaker 4: Uh oh.
Speaker 1: When they get to the scene, they hear it's a female intruder. It's Kitty Bennett. They're like, we waited for you because we know you.
Speaker 4: Guys know her.
Speaker 1: So when they walk into the apartment, Kitty has a broken bottle to Hensley's neck. Lana is in the kitchen and they're like. She's saying she's gonna kill him if he doesn't admit to raping her, and Kitty is on edge. She's like, come any closer and I'll do it, and Rollins is like, then I'll have to shoot you. Like Rollins has her gun out and Benson is like, okay, let's just talk. Kitty's like about what this thing that's growing inside of me? Like she is not happy to be pregnant with this man's baby. She presses the bottle to Hensley's neck and is like, tell them about the rape fantasy, about how I wanted it because I didn't bite back, and they pan to Lana and she looks terrified, but there's also like a quick flash of recognition on her face and the sectress does do a good job with that, I would say, And then Kitty goes, maybe I should kill you just so you don't hurt anybody else, and Benson is like still trying to diffuse, and then Lanna goes, go ahead and kill him, and Lana goes, I know you're telling the truth.
Speaker 4: I know he raped you, And Kitty's not buying it. She goes, oh, dare you?
Speaker 1: Like I think she thinks Lana's making fun of her or like fucking with her to try to get her to do what she wants, and Lana says, no, he said those exact same things to me, remember Josh, the first time we had sex after he raped me, and Lana breaks down sobbing.
Speaker 4: Kitty looks shocked.
Speaker 1: Benson gets her to drop the bottle and she basically like falls into Benson's arms and like is finally being believed after being fucking gas lit all the way all over Manhattan and back like this episode is gaslighting in a nutshell. Lana's telling her story about how her and Josh went out looking for lofts like they were having drinks afterwards. He really helped her build her confidence because she was new to real estate. He was charming, supportive of her career. Then they went to go look at some listings once aloft in Chelsea, the one they live in now. They were checking out the bedroom. He grabbed her started kissing her. She was flattered. She kissed back, but then he pushed her hard onto the bed, climbed on top of her. She told him to stop, over and over, and it just made him more aggressive. He assaulted her and then she drove him home like she was like blaming herself, like I'm an idiot. Then I drove him home. She's so confused about what had happened. He called her the next day and asked her to put in an offer on the loft, and when the seller accepted, he shows up to her place.
Speaker 4: With flowers and champagne.
Speaker 1: Truly psychopathic behavior like to then date her and live with her in the apartment where that crime was where he committed. That crime is like off the charts insane. He tells her the flowers in the champagne are an apology for being so rough, and when she tried to talk about it, he's like, it's okay that you used your sexuality to seal the deal with us, you know, And I fucking hate this freak so hard now, like I cannot Like it's you go to school for so many years to be a psychotherapist, to be a therapist, to be a counselor of any kind, and it's like your goal should be you want to help people, and this guy's goal is like I want to fucking overpower people and manipulate them and get what I want, Like what a cycle you should have worked.
Speaker 4: On Wall Street?
Speaker 1: Anyway, Rollins goes he he's sick, and then asks Lana, are you willing to testify against him?
Speaker 4: And she's like I.
Speaker 1: Didn't really want to admit what he really was until I heard Kitty say those same things that he said to me, and then she goes, yes, I'll testify. So Benson's like pick him up again. So now a brassy lady lawyer who I don't think we see again so I'm not really going to get into who she is. Walks into interrogation where this psychoedoc is sitting and Benson tells her it's a new case, rape one and the lawyer's like, oh, you sank your claws into another victim, and Benson's like, your client's the one with the clause. A grieving woman came to you for help and in the space of an hour you ruined her life. And they're like, okay, well, what's the new case. Like, no one even like fights that one. They're like fair enough, and they're like, well, what about this new case, and she drops a bomb. She goes The complaining witness is Lana Stalworth, and the lawyer goes very funny and he's like, Lanna would never turn on me. And we've seen these guys on these episodes that they're like, I know I control her. She'll never say anything, like Andrew McCarthy in Slaves when he's like, she won't say anything. She's under the bed and she knows to listen to me anyway and lives like oh dog. She's in front of the grand jury as we speak. And then psycho boy is like, I gave both those women exactly what they wanted. And she's like, no, you con them into believing that's what they wanted. And like any good con man, you've convinced yourself that your victims got what they deserved. You are done, doctor, You're done, And I love that. It's a fun Livia moment. The guy grunts, but he looks like he got got and he knows it. So now Live and Kitty are walking along the rut water. He's obviously got jail time. She's been seeing a therapist that Live recommended that, and that female therapist is already really helping her.
Speaker 4: She hasn't decided what to do about the baby.
Speaker 1: I thought for sure I was going to get an abortion, and lives like and now, and she said, I felt the baby kick this morning, and it reminded me of what you said. What happened to me is not this baby's fault. And I wrote, OMG, what you literally heard your mother say that at fifteen? Like, I know you turned out to be like a great person, but like that's been you like your whole life. Why are you fighting for this very fragile woman to keep her rapist baby? Like I don't get it, Like lives like it's still gonna be hard. I've known people in your position. They raise the child. Some days they don't even think about it, and other days, you know, even though your baby was conceived in an act of violence, your baby is innocent and deserves to be unconditionally, unconditionally loved. If you decide to become a mother, promised me that you'll remember that, and she says she will, and Live says, take care, and.
Speaker 4: Katy will I don't think that this character should have.
Speaker 1: A kid, right, this guy's kid. How do you know that this sociopathy is not like genetic in his case? You know, Live goes, but I love they do this thing. Live goes, okay, take care. They're on the side of the water and Kitty just walks off to nowhere, and I guess Live's going to go back the other direction, but Live doesn't go anywhere, so she just stands there staring out by, like you know, after Kitty as she walks away, and that's dick wolf baby, And then I wrote, I'm sorry, but this is coming off very right wing talking point. The whole babies are innocent, Like also, the baby's not a baby yet.
Speaker 4: I mean the fact that she felt a kick.
Speaker 1: I'm like, she should have had this done way earlier, like in my opinion, but also it's very out of character for Olivia and it does not make sense that she would push this woman to the edge, more so than many other victims she's dealt with in this situation. And I went on Reddit and a lot of people there agree with me. A lot of people were like, this is so out of character. We know her, this is not what Olivia would do, and I was like, it's weird. Lucy Lou directed the episode because I feel like she would have had something to do with the writing, and I was wondering if the writing was like one of the sort of like men I've heard about on the show that are not, you know, always the best, and it wasn't.
Speaker 4: So it's such a weird move.
Speaker 1: It's a really fucking weird move for her to go all pregnancy crisis and then like then it's like in two seasons or whatever, she's taking that girl from Ohio like fighting for her right to get an abortion and she's thirteen, Like, I don't think this woman and she's lost her job, She's.
Speaker 4: Got a long road of therapy ahead.
Speaker 1: We think, adding the stress of raising this baby is helpful for her.
Speaker 4: I just don't get it. Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: I second everything that you just yeah, yeah, anyway, Yeah, And it's not the cooler move like you know girls did that where she keeps this baby out of spite and it's like you're not doing anything cool, You're doing what everyone does, keeping it Like I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's not like this is this woman's last chance to have a child, and like, I don't know, it just seems like so fucking weird. I normally I feel like live is just like you'll know what you need to do when the time is right, moving on, you know, Like this is so much pregnancy crisis center like rhetoric to me. But anyway, I'm excited to hear you talk about some crimes.
Speaker 4: Maybe I'm not. I don't know, maybe I'm not. Okay, So there's a few cases. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel like I keep getting these multi case episodes.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 2: So the first case is the Lamar Edgerson case. This went down in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and he was a nationally recognized therapist who used hypnosis to sexually assault patients over a course of several years. So yeah. He was finally charged in twenty eighteen after certain patients came forward. On April twenty seventeen, a woman reported that Edgerson sexually assaulted her at his business called Family Harmony. She woke up during hypnosis and caught him performing oral sex on her and then claiming it was part of the treatment. He also picked her up from a bar once and took her to his house and raped her, and then he emailed her a bunch to say sorry, but also wanted to like sexy email time and just the mess. And Ederson pled guilty to three counts of rape and no contest to one other rape on Wednesday, July twenty ninth, twenty twenty, and he was sentenced to twelve years in prison, where he still is right now.
Speaker 1: Wow, well, I'm glad he got jail. I mean, it doesn't seem like enough. This seems like you are a danger to society. I don't think you should be out there. I'm sure hypno's a license, I'm sure hees no, but I mean even just your no no of course, but like even just your general demeanor that that's what you think is like normal. But also I feel like, yeah, there needs to be like clearer boundaries. I feel like with what therapists, how much a therapist is like allowed to be in your life. Like I've had friends who have been like, oh yeah, I text my therapist all the time, and we went and did something together, like they went to like a concert together, and I was like, that's weird, Like I've only ever texted my therapist about I'm running late, or like, you know, it's only scheduling. It's I mean, maybe people have it set up where you can text if you have a major problem and there's some kind of setup you have that they give you like a quick tool to but even then it's like off hours. I don't really I think that there just needs to be very clear because there's all these therapists out there going this is part of your treatment.
Speaker 4: Me picking you up from a bar, it's part of your treatment. Me like doing this.
Speaker 1: It's you know, like they can just say that it's like a catch all, and I just feel like it's important to know that your therapy should basically just be happening either on zoom or in an office, and you should really not be interacting outside of your sessions at all. And we have therapists that follow us, and I'm sure they can pipe in. But and I understand the like curiosity. I've been so curious about some of my therapists before, like I've tried to see if they have Instagram. I've definitely like checked to see, like, oh, what are their lives like? Because now it does feel one sided. They know everything about you and you know nothing. You know, so but I have learned over the years. That's like that's the like lean into that, like you don't need to take on anybody else's baggage. But like, you know, I know, I get the curiosity, but like, no commenting on your therapists Instagram page if you do find it.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no no. And so I mean I agree, it just sucks. I'm glad he got caught.
Speaker 2: And I don't know, I'm curious about hypnosis, but it is pretty dangerous, I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's another episode of this, right, there's a lot of hypnosis therapies. You know, child's identity where they made he made the kids have sucks with each other.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: But yeah, like with crimes, this kind of small you know, it's like many media outlets, but it's the same information over and over and over and all of them like it was one press release from the police department and that's that. And so I am curious, like did the writers really find this article?
Speaker 4: Do they have pings?
Speaker 2: Like is it just a concept of you know, bad bad therapists? But it made me, yeah, kind of wonder Yeah, Okay. So the next case is the Shelby McDowell case, and this is a wedding crasher situation. So, Florida, October twenty seventeen, twenty year old Shelby McDowell arrived at a Palm Coast wedding and she was wearing a black wig. In the beginning, she's a blunt and she was not invited, but she was there to spy on her boyfriend and named a man named Darby John's wild name.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: She saw him dancing and kissing another woman and rushed shover through a drink at the both of them and then punched her and she then fled to the bathroom where things escalated. McDowell says a few bridesmaids pulled her out by her feet and punched her to punish her for what she had done. And so but the resort officials say when they came in to break up the fight, that McDowell was actually on top of a victim, punching her in the face. So why, I don't know what happened in the bathroom. She was arrested and charged for battery. But the twist is very angered, goes west. John told police that he is not her boyfriend. She says they dated for two years. He also said that he was not kissing that woman either, that they were just walking to the dance floor when they were attacked. McDowell was arrested for battery and transported to the Flagler County Jail. She did say she was sorry to the Palm Beach Post that she was very apologetic towards the bride and groom and never intended for it to get so out of control. But what's funny to me is she's apologetic for ruining the wedding, but not to the woman she punched in the face, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Or nothing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, But it's also like, do you think that her and that guy were dating? Do you think that guy is just like lying and being like gaslighting and being like, I mean, he's been like secretly dating her for two years and then kind of like, I mean, I don't we're not dating.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I because of the move, because of Ingrid goes west, they can believe it, and because I think people are out there being kookie. I mean, she looked like a good time girl. I'll say that much. But the wig I don't see.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I didn't get the impression that she's because even okay, you're if you were going out for two years and your boyfriend took someone else to a wedding or you weren't invited, that would be an issue beforehand. That would be like I'm going to the wedding, Like why would he take another person?
Speaker 4: Right right? Like he must be a real.
Speaker 2: Scum lord, like like but if they had an actual, real relationship for two years, this would be really bad behavior.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think maybe.
Speaker 3: He wasn't invited with a plus one, but he but and then he's dancing with this woman.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Tell us what you guys think, Yeah, if you know, I mean, this is not that old of a case. If anybody knows anything more about Shelby McDowell case, let us know.
Speaker 4: No, And it was like on the cut, you know what I mean? Yeah, that's where I was reading, because it's like.
Speaker 1: At everybody loves a wild met wedding meltdown, like everyone Yeah.
Speaker 2: A wedding crasher, punched in the face, getting dragged out by bridesmaids.
Speaker 1: Remember the woman he was than doing trying to do a spin move off of the pole in the middle of the dance and just took down the whole wedding tent.
Speaker 4: It was like a huge viral video like love that.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 4: Love that.
Speaker 2: Okay, So this one's a little meteor. This is the Susan Polk case. She was a California woman, mother of three and ended up murdering her husband, who was her therapist when she was a teen.
Speaker 4: No, so very many layers here.
Speaker 2: She says that he took advantage of her when she was an underage patient, but basically her one of her sons found doctor Frank Felix Poke's dead body in the pool of the house that they shared, like in the backhouse guest house pool area.
Speaker 4: He called the police.
Speaker 2: They were rich mansion, huge house, like very wealthy in Arenda, Florida. And so it says California in your notes. Y, Yes, that's what I meant. Yeah, or Rinda, California, which is by San Francisco. And then so the son called the police, and around nine pm on October fourteenth, two thousand and two, the cops arrived and they found doctor Polk in the main room of the poolhouse on his back, lying in a bunch of blood. So the son, Gabriel Polk, was fifteen years old at the time, and to dispatchers he said, my mom shot my dad, who was seventy at the time of death. I'm adding that he did not say that to the dispatcher, but he was not shot. The kid just you know, was probably overwhelmed with all the blood. So yeah, no shootings. But the dad was dead twenty two hours prior to the body being found, and he was stabbed. He was stabbed more than twenty times, and he was also hit in the back of the head with a blunt object.
Speaker 4: So that's that.
Speaker 2: Gabe also told police that he was like waiting for his dad to go to a baseball game that afternoon, but by the time like nine pm rolled around, the dead didn't show up. He was like, maybe I should check, but the mom was like, oh, I don't know where your dad is. And so at nine pm, he like finally went and found his dad. There were no signs of a struggle or forced entry to the poolhouse, so more cops came. They interviewed Gabe and they learned that his parents had a failing marriage, and Susan then spoke to the police. She explained how she met him as a teen when she had behavioral issues and the school recommended that she see a therapist. He was twenty five years older than her, and her mother believed that he was taking advantage of her, and her mom claims that he raped her daughter by hypnotizing and drugging her. Susan, however, was in love with him and she did not see it as like abusive or exploitative. But the mom never reported him to the police, but she did make them stop seeing each other. So, you know, while she's a teen under her mom's roof, everything is chill. But then the relationship started back up when she was like around nineteen twenty in college. So while in college she sees this other therapist. She discloses the information, but instead of going to the police, which she should have done as like a mandatory reporter or something, he calls Polk's wife. Oh my god, what So then his wife wants a divorce with you know, doctor Felix, and he goes, okay, fine, we can get divorced.
Speaker 4: And then he marries Susan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his twenty year old woman that he's like literally been svengaliing since she was a teen.
Speaker 4: Ugh, ugh, it's right.
Speaker 2: And they were married December nineteen eighty one and they had three sons, Adam, Eli and Gabriel. When the kids moved out, their marriage began to deteriorate, and she was planning on moving to Montana and like, you know, splitting from him, and it was just too much constant fighting.
Speaker 4: They were at each other's throats and she wanted out.
Speaker 2: But while she was away, police found out that Felix took steps against her in the divorce, so she like he got a restraining order against her to give himself sole custody of their children and sole possession of their home. So while she's in Montana trying to figure out her Eprey love second half of life under the Tuscan Sun, he's at home, plotting, going to lawyers and trying to fuck her over, fuck money over. Like he had her monthly payments reduced from six thousand to seventeen hundred dollars a month, and so when she saw what Felix did, she was fucking pissed. So she got her son Gabriel to help move his stuff into the guest house behind their home. She's like, fuck this, I'm staying in the mansion. He's getting into the poolhouse. And in three days before the murder, Felix had actually called nine one one to report a domestic dispute after his wife kicked him out of the main house and changed the locks on the doors. So so now we're getting into the nitty gritty of the evidence. Everything else is, you know, just setting up the scene of where they're at marriage wise, and maybe some motives. But Felix had a clump of hair in his hand at the murder scene, and the DNA proved that it did belong to his estranged wife, Susan. One question, she seemed very aloof. She was not shocked that her husband was dead, and she was like, oh, yeah, we were actually going to get divorced anyways.
Speaker 4: So I kind of obsessed with her, Okay.
Speaker 2: So she did eventually admit to doing it, but did claim self defense. She said there was a fight that happened, and he grabbed a knife and attacked her, and fearing for her life since she'd been abused before, she had to fight back. She argued self defense, but prosecutors and police did not believe her. She claims that, you know, he's a liar. He turned the kids against her and told the kids that she was mentally ill. But she did murder a man, so you know, he might have been onto something. Finally, in court, she decided to fire her lawyers and represent herself at this twenty two week long murder.
Speaker 4: Trial in two thousand and six.
Speaker 2: And let me tell you all the quotes of like all the other lawyers were like she fucking crushed. They were like her cross examination was killer. We don't know where she came from, Like everyone was praising her, like lawyer skills on the stand got but even like a wilder twist to this case. The trial was supposed to happen in two thousand and four, but Pamela Vitali, the wife of Polk's attorney Dan Horowitz, was found stabbed to death inside their home.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So a teen who lived nearby, Scott de Leski, was convicted of torturing this woman to death. And so yeah, the lawyer dropped out of the case. And then after Polk publicly suggested that he was involved in his wife's murder, why would she.
Speaker 1: She just didn't care. I mean, she's she's on one. Okay, she's on one.
Speaker 4: So it's whoever.
Speaker 2: Children did testify against her in court, and she then cross examined her sons.
Speaker 4: No, yeah, I think.
Speaker 1: Svu's even done that, had a mom representing herself cross examining her own kids.
Speaker 2: No, we gotta we gotta pitch, we gotta pitch something.
Speaker 1: Because imagine me being like Oskie, tell the truth to the court.
Speaker 4: Knock on wood. Yeah, so she was just like badger.
Speaker 2: You know, they were badgered by their own mom, and it got one, it got wild, and you know how women are.
Speaker 4: Usually judged and stuff.
Speaker 2: It probably doesn't look good because even in certain cases in SVU, the dude lawyers are like, you know, I can't be yelling at a schoolgirl up there, like you need to do it, you know, like optics do matter, and so like just watching her bade her sons on the stand. But one child, the middle child, Eli, did stand as her defense witness. The jury deliberated it for four days and did find her guilty of second degree murder of her husband and received a sentence of sixteen years to life. She was denied parole in twenty nineteen and is not eligible again until twenty twenty nine. And Horowitz, the lawyer that you know, dealt with all that tragedy. He said, it's a shame because he really believed that she was clearly schizophrenic, but she would not allow him to use that in core, and so he's like, you know, should rather be convicted of murder than admit that she had mental issues?
Speaker 1: And if she had schizophrenia, it's hard to believe she would be so good at like crushing her defense.
Speaker 2: You know, Well it could have been one of her you know, split personality.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know, we're being interesting.
Speaker 2: I feel like we have gone backwards in I was like, oh, you know, split personnel like that.
Speaker 4: Is not schizophrenica. It's not schizophrenia.
Speaker 1: But like, yeah, I mean sure people suffering from schizophrenia have good days and bad days, But how can you be sure it's going to be a good day and crush it in court?
Speaker 4: Like I don't know. I mean, she probably had.
Speaker 1: Some diagnosis, but Also, she's been married to a man for twenty years who's a cheater and was setting her up to fuck her over, and also was probably manipulating her and gat lighting her for twenty years. Yeah, you know, he probably called her crazy every day.
Speaker 2: I know, But I wonder if this is like when a major league pitcher is, you know, high as a kite and just pitches a no hitter, Like yeah, maybe it's just the situation where she's just in.
Speaker 1: Her bag, you know, yeah, ready to go in her element. I love it all right, Well, thank you. Those were all quite interesting. If anyone has any more information about what happened at that wedding brawl, I'd really love to know. I'd really love to know if they were really dating or not. We suld like a pitch.
Speaker 2: We should make an internet video pleading for someone to reach it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, come forward, please better yet the woman, let's get her on. Okay, we don't have a guest today, so let's get dive right into our post mortem a wedding I'm happy was ruined in this episode. I will say that this guy is a like, maybe one of my most hated villains in SVU history, because I hate that he made me believe him at the beginning, Like he was so committed to his own lie that I was like, oh, this guy, they're not even showing the guy with a shifty eye. There are the shows making you think that this guy that there's some other reason, there's some other wild.
Speaker 4: Twist that's gonna happen.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: The twist is just that he's a psychopath, gaslighter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, raped his fucking wife too, or fiance. Thank god she didn't marry him. And it's arrogance. It all goes down to arrogance. You thought you were gonna get away with all these fucking lies. Of course he did, but nah no, But it's the case.
Speaker 1: So it's also freaky to think about someone like this, like fully chose psychotherapy as avenue because of what he knew he could accomplish with it, you know what I mean. Like he never was like, oh, I want to help people with their mental health problems. I think he was like, oh, this would be a great way to control women and like get people to do what I want them to do and like be a crazy, like be a.
Speaker 2: Psychotic a position of authority. Yeah, you know that's what good the doctor, the trust of it all.
Speaker 4: Wait.
Speaker 2: I know we're on this episode and we're talking about just therapists, people taking advantage of their positions of power, all of that. SV has had a few like hypnosis therapy episodes, but there's new Scott Peterson stuff, and I feel like I have to really watch it because you know, I, uh, I didn't defend him.
Speaker 4: I know that he killed her. I just think the police work wasn't good enough.
Speaker 1: No, I hear what you're saying, but watching this doc the doc is making me fully like just his demeanor, like the way he hawks, the way he's talking to Amber knowing his wife is missing and he's not like telling her, And like, you.
Speaker 4: Know what's the new doc on? Is it Hulu or Netflix?
Speaker 2: It's on Netflix, Okay, because now they're all popping up all their stuff right now, so I don't know which one's the one that everyone's talking. I think it's called American Crime, the Lacy Peterson the Murder or something like that, or Disappearance of Lycy.
Speaker 4: I'd have to.
Speaker 2: Watch it before next week and have my full retraction.
Speaker 1: It's so funny because a few people have messaged us being like, ah, have you guys watched this but I watched an episode of it with my family, because you know, my family loves to get together when we're all together for our summer vacation and watch a bunch of fucking crazy true crime.
Speaker 4: So we watched an episode of that.
Speaker 1: Then I watched an episode at the end of my trip, just folding laundry the night before I left for the airport, and was like, I guess I'll tap back into this, And what's so crazy is like, maybe we talked about this when we originally did Scott Peterson, and I apologize if I'm repeating myself, but like we were so focused on the Amber Fry of it all, Like they were barely dating. They were dating a few a couple months or something when Lacy went missing, Like they were not dating for that long.
Speaker 4: Like everyone was like Amber Fry.
Speaker 1: Like when I remember the coverage of it, it was just Amberfry, like the affair, da da da dah, Like, yes, that's a huge smoking gun. Obviously, that's sallacious. But like, in my mind, I think she had something to do with it. Like when I was like young, listening to the coverage.
Speaker 4: Jaman A.
Speaker 1: She Monica Lewinsky exactly exactly what I was gonna say, like, it's literally the way the media framed it as this other woman. It's like she dated a nice guy that she who she thought was a nice guy that her friend set her up with, who said that his wife had passed away and he didn't want to have his own children, and that he wanted to be a father to her kid. She was that's all this woman was doing. Then she wore a fucking wire to help the police. She didn't have to do any of that in this thing. They're talking about how good of an actress she was. They're like, we didn't tell her what to say. This bitch knew how to get stuff out of him. She was full cooperating and helping the cops. She called the cops to tell them that she was dating him. Like, and it's just crazy to me how in my mind Amber Fry was a villain in this because Lacey was like the girl. It's like, oh, in every story there has to be like the good girl and the bad girl, and like that's kind of not what it was at all. No, anyway, that's my little that's my little soap box on that. But I got to finish. There's three episodes of it, and I haven't watched the third episode, so I got to finish it.
Speaker 4: We'll both we'll both do that for next time.
Speaker 2: Oh and we talked about this earlier because we're talking about long legs and Nicholas Cage. But I also want to say I rewatched Renfield again and we interviewed one of the actresses from it. And remember when I met Ben Schwartz, He's like, it's a bond, like no one likes. It's not doing well. I've watched it like four times. I love it.
Speaker 4: You love it. I love it. I really do. So I don't know. Maybe I'm a fan. Maybe I'll watch it on a plane. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: I just read the worst fucking book for my book club, and I'm so annoyed that I spent so much time reading it.
Speaker 4: It was so bad.
Speaker 1: It's called The Unwedding and it's literally the log like the press line for it is like white Lotus meets Agatha Christie, and it's like, fuck you, that is not this at all. I could However, as I was reading it, I was like, this could easily be optioned and turned into a great television show with good writers. Turning this garbage garbage book into a good because like just the setup of it is like a good concept or whatever, but it's it's so bad. I went to book club and I go and I just walked in the door, and I was like, who's ready to shit on this book with me?
Speaker 4: Like everybody, like.
Speaker 1: Everybody hated it, but only two people finished it, Me and on other person. And that made me annoyed to like, I just why am I in a book club? Why am I rushing to finish these books when no one's reading them? But whatever, the person who recommended the book didn't finish it, and you know who it is, and it's just annoying anyway, so I will.
Speaker 4: Anyway, the.
Speaker 1: Person who recommended it did not finish it.
Speaker 4: It did not get to a pivotal part of it.
Speaker 1: I go, well, then after the disaster happened, She goes, when did that happen? I'm like, the first third of the book, Like, she did not even get close to finishing it.
Speaker 4: That's what you get for being in a book club, you fucking nerd.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, but I'm trying to read more and book clubs like hold me accountable because I'm like, oh, I got to finish because I don't want to be the only person at the thing that hasn't read it, And then every time I go, I'm like one of the only people per people who has read it. But send me good book, Rex, you know what I want to read All Fours by Miranda July.
Speaker 4: Okay, I want to read that book. I don't know why you're pointing at me.
Speaker 1: I'm pointing at you because I have some gossip noted in your brain. Okay, anyway, I thought maybe you knew who about you knew of her anyway, but that's not what I have to tell you.
Speaker 4: Anyway.
Speaker 1: The fucking takeaway from this episode is, don't I know your therapist knows a lot about you. I know your therapist might act like they care for you genuinely, but there needs to be a boundary between people and therapists. Don't date your therapist. Don't marry your therapists. I don't care if they're done your therapist. It's not a good idea and scene or scene wait on.
Speaker 4: We have to move on. But we haven't seen each other in a while. Okay.
Speaker 2: One I did go to a secret domino night and I played dominoes at like a closed down restaurant where we got to smoke weed inside my friend DJ for a little bit of it.
Speaker 3: I won a few games. It felt incredible. I bet that was the night of your life.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 2: And then oh, I so I'm gonna go again next month, I think, but it's once a month. But guess what, So October, I think it's going to coincide with another dream event where I am judging. I'm on the judging panel of the Simpsons Trivia costume contest William for O October. I already bought part of my costume. I'm not in the competition. Mine's gonna be kind of basic. But I get to judge, and I'm so excited. It's like Domino Nights, Simpson's judging.
Speaker 4: I'm like, Ah, New York.
Speaker 1: I'm a person that's planning to go to the You listen to our podcast, you got a leg up. You know what Lisa will like. She's gonna like the deep cut costumes. You got to get in there. That's my tip to you. Maybe go back listen to some of our episodes where she talks about specific Simpson's references. Quickly go back and leave through two hundred episodes of this podcast, you can figure it out.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: For my birthday dinner that's happening this week, I was trying to make everyone dress like Carrie Bradshaw and then it hit me and I'm like what am I doing?
Speaker 4: And I canceled the theme.
Speaker 2: I said, please just wear whatever you want and everyone was so relieved.
Speaker 1: Like so, it's like, my brother is going to Fire Island this week on Friday, and I was like, oh my god, that's so fun. And he was like yeah, but they're like making us bring all these costumes and stuff and he's like not into it. And I'm like that's the fun part. Like he's like so not into the costumes and the dressing up, and like I'm trying to get him to embrace Wait.
Speaker 2: Should we all dress now? Because he's so boring in terms of wardrobe. I was like, should we all dress like our friends? Who's turning? But like, what are we gonna wear?
Speaker 4: Like Swell, he's been wearing a lot of tank tops lately. I might get into a tank It's so funny.
Speaker 2: That's what Lane said to me when I was like, you know, I'm thinking what's to get for Michael, and he said he's wearing a lot of tank tops, so I guess people have noticed from coast to coast.
Speaker 4: Oh, Michael's been tanking lately, tanking hard. So funny.
Speaker 1: Really, I'm about to take and seef he wants to go to the beach this weekend.
Speaker 2: Wait, but at your brother's house. There was a moment where I went, hey, Oscar, can you bring me my hat? And both you and jured were like, he's not gonna do it, and he did. So It's amazing. Oscar doesn't do anything we ask him to do. So you have a once again, you have a power over my children and Rose both of them grabbed me things while I was in the body of water and didn't want to get out. And then while we were in the pool, we kept making the kids check to see how hot, if the hot tub was hot enough for us, We kept being like, is that a way?
Speaker 3: Yet?
Speaker 1: She loved the stickers you brought her when we were packing for camps. She was like, what about my stickers from Lee's. I was like, I have them.
Speaker 2: Well, she's so mature because she used on her face like she used the shitty stickers that were just like the brand name and like the filler stickers on the sheet, and she was like, I'm saving the good stickers for later. And I'm like, oh, you're maturing already, Like you know, you got to take care of your stickers.
Speaker 4: She does.
Speaker 1: She knows what's a quality sticker, what's not. Let's move on to our what would this your peg do? This is our weekly segment where we point you guys towards, you know, a book, an article, something that gives you more information about what we talked about today. And today I wanted to point you to a Psychology Today article titled are You Being Gaslighted? I think I hear people a lot of times misusing gaslighting. I don't think everybody understands what it means. I think people sometimes mean it's somebody yelling at you to amp you up, or something like that to get you, Matt, And that's not what gaslighting is. And I think we don't really talk enough about how much gaslighting is used in abusive relationships, which obviously is what's happening in this episode a lot.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: The article outlines the multiple stages of gaslighting, disbelief, defense, depression. It also details all the signs on how to know if you're being gaslet. So for more information head over to Psychology Today dot com. The link is in our show notes for today. It's also going to be in our stories the day that this episode comes out, and then saved forever in our WWSPD highlight on our Instagram page. And if you're not following on our Instagram page, What's What's Up? It's That's Messed Up Pod. It's where we post homework, It's where we post fun little videos and stories, and you know, that's where we can.
Speaker 4: Talk to a lot of you.
Speaker 1: Actually, Also, if you're trying to get in touch with us, dm us babies.
Speaker 2: And next week, please keep continue joining us forever and ever. We will be doing the episode titled Mama from season nineteen, episode twenty two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and come see us live and we love you guys, See you next week. That's Messed Up as an exactly write production. If you have compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email it That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod and on Twitter at messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and at.
Speaker 1: Glitter Cheese As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to our senior producer Casey O'Brien and our associate producer Christina Chamberlain, and to our.
Speaker 1: Mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner, and.
Speaker 2: To Henry Kaperski for our theme song, and Carly gen Andrews for our artwork.
Speaker 1: Thank you to our executive producers Georgia hard Start, Karen Kilgareff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media dot dun