Speaker 1: Hey there everybody.
Speaker 2: It is Friday, December twelfth, and I'm sure you are in holiday shopping mode and so.
Speaker 1: You're probably stressing all of it.
Speaker 2: Now. You don't have a lot of time, love, let's just be honest. So this holiday Gift guide is hopefully going to help you with some of your last minute shopping ideas. We actually this is our second full week Monday through Friday, we have given gift ideas sent to us by our iHeart producers, and we'll have another five for you next week for you last minute gift shoppers.
Speaker 3: You know what they're getting good now. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking some of the earlier ones, but some of these are now absolutely you should be considered.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're excited about them. And this next gift gift number ten for this Friday is and toilts that you will sleep better, You will wake up more refreshed because of the hatch Restore three alarm clock. Good All right, Here is what hatch Restore three Alarm Clocks says about its product. Say good night to your phone and hello to deeper sleep. The hatch Restore three helps you build a calming, screen free bedtime routine with soothing light plus sound pairings that quiet your mind so you can fall asleep easier and faster. They claim over eighty science backed sleep sounds, guided wind downs, and a dimmable clock help you stay asleep, while the gentle sunrise alarm supports your natural circadian rhythm, so you wake up refreshed, refreshed, no more jarring alarms.
Speaker 1: You don't even wake up to alarm.
Speaker 4: Clocks, really but jarring? Okay, go ahead, like you know, like what I had a question about? Is it? I have a question? Okay, and I keep stopping you along the way. I'm sorry, I've been again.
Speaker 1: It's fine, it's fine.
Speaker 4: My question.
Speaker 3: There is there an argument that you should not wake up suddenly, and that you should wake up in a gentle if waves are crashing and it wakes you up, versus is it affecting my sleep?
Speaker 1: It affects your energy and your mood for sure.
Speaker 2: Like even honestly, seeing you talk about waking up like this, I felt like calm, and then you went My whole body jarred and I felt negative energy.
Speaker 1: Wow, So I think that is something right.
Speaker 2: How you wake up, how you feel when you wake up scared to death or gently nudged awake, I would prefer the latter.
Speaker 4: Productive or lazy? Is this day I'm going to have gentle? Okay, go ahead?
Speaker 1: Yes, all right?
Speaker 2: So anyway, they say, the simple one button design makes it easy to control when you're half asleep, and the phone free setup means your bedroom stays a true rest zone. With curated routines and customizable content. Through the Hatch sleep app, Restore three helps you transform sleep into a ritual. They say that Restore was created by founders Anne and Dave Weiss, who struggles with newborn sleep and life long insomnia inspired them to build Hatch and this was a company that gained national attents on Shark Tank and it's become a leader, they claim in improving sleep for families and adults. Families because of newborns, they put these in their children's rooms as well to help them fall asleep and to wake them up gently. So they actually used this for their infants and then also for themselves.
Speaker 4: Sounds great.
Speaker 2: So it came from a need in their own family and they now are offering it to millions of us. You are somebody who struggles with sleep. In fact, you began morning run today with your sleep we get we did. We actually received or rings in this gift guide last year. My ORR rings score today is seventy nine. How what your and we went to bed at the same time, and we had the plans to wake up at the same time. None of that actually happened to. My sleep score says I got six hours.
Speaker 1: And twelve minutes. And it says that I went to bed.
Speaker 2: I'm looking to see where it says it at.
Speaker 1: Oh did I go to bed that late?
Speaker 4: See?
Speaker 1: Wow, we went to bed late last night?
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: It says I went to bed at twelve thirty seven pm.
Speaker 3: Okay, then this is accurate. I got two hours and twenty four minutes of sleep last night.
Speaker 1: This is a right, that's insane.
Speaker 3: So yes, my sleep score was forty four. I got uh but yes, I went. I fell asleep later than you did, so at around one o'clock. It says one oh four in particular. But here's my problem, babe, I was awake from about two thirty on. See that big white streak back that I was awake. So I tried to stay in bed, and I tried to get back to sleep, and I was wide the frick awake apparently, so the point is our gift guide. Now this is something I'm listening if this is something that can.
Speaker 1: Help me correct, all right, So here's the deal.
Speaker 2: I tried this out last night because I wanted to set it up so that we I thought we could wake up to it in the morning.
Speaker 1: Turns out I woke up alone, per usual.
Speaker 4: That sounds bad. That's come on, that.
Speaker 2: Sounds heero because you were I feel bad for you. You have insomnia. We need more solutions. But anyway, it took me quite some time to figure out the app.
Speaker 1: Last night.
Speaker 2: I was getting a little frustrated and realized that I had to do and they claim you don't, but I could not find a way to communicate with the clock without downloading a free seven day trial. Or you could do a free month long trial, but if you did the month long trial, you're signing up for an annual subscription. If I did the seven day trial, I was only signing up for a month to month subscription.
Speaker 3: But either way, this is one of those things where you have to contact and cancel or you're going to start getting charged.
Speaker 4: Correct.
Speaker 2: So I actually put it in my calendar six days from now to cancel, because I cancel it now, yes, I could cancel it.
Speaker 1: Now I will. But here's the other thing.
Speaker 2: When you go onto Amazon, because I did to get I got the reviews, so we'll get into all that. But and it even says on their website four ninety nine a month or forty nine ninety nine a year, but when you download the app it is six ninety nine a month and sixty nine ninety nine. So they have changed the rates fairly significantly, and it is not reflected on their website or on Amazon, so it's actually misleading. So if I were to go onto Amazon right now and buy this for myself or for someone else, it's actually more expensive in terms of the subscription than they are advertising.
Speaker 1: So I just wanted to put that out there.
Speaker 2: And it may just be an oversight that they haven't had time to get around to updating how much it costs, but that is a big difference. Fifty dollars a year versus seventy dollars a year is a difference.
Speaker 3: Can I say that? Can I ask this? Because I was asking you, I was watching you here quite frustrated. We were trying to do other things, and you actually got caught up with this because we couldn't figure it out. Can you use the thing without a monthly prescription?
Speaker 1: They claim subscription?
Speaker 2: They claim you can, but you don't have access to a majority of the features.
Speaker 3: So it's a waste of money to buy the thing if you're also not going to get the monthly in your opinion.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I'm gonna get I'm going to get into all of this because I actually didn't want to just rely on my experience because sometimes I am technical, like I am logically challenged.
Speaker 1: Yep, would you agree with that?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: I don't know a little bit. I mean I you.
Speaker 4: Do that that? Oh I can't figure this out?
Speaker 1: I do do it?
Speaker 4: You do that?
Speaker 3: I think you can figure You're perfectly intellectually capable of figuring the stuff out.
Speaker 1: I do figure it out.
Speaker 2: I lived on my own for three years and I had to and I was able to.
Speaker 1: It was okay.
Speaker 2: I can put furniture together from my kia. I can, Yes, all right, So what was it like this morning? I will say that I laughed because I did appreciate there's a bright light that comes on, so it mimics the sunrise, and that comes on first. So you actually, if you put it by your nightstand. The idea is that your circadian rhythm is actually, uh, well, that thing inside of all of us biologically that we're like supposed to wake up with the sun. It triggers that, or it says it does, and so you're supposed to wake up before the bright light. I did not, but some people might. And then it sounded like a flock of seagulls came into the bedroom I was. I didn't know, and I honestly didn't have the tolerance for it last night to pick the sound I wanted to wake up to, so I just let it be what it was.
Speaker 1: But I have to tell you, I was like, I didn't know where I was.
Speaker 2: I thought I was on vacation maybe, and we were like in tricks and caicos or something, and there were birds, because that's not a sound.
Speaker 1: That you here in New York City.
Speaker 2: So I was actually initially confused as to where I was when I woke up.
Speaker 1: And then I was like, okay, I kind of like that. I liked it. It was I felt like I was surrounded by nature.
Speaker 3: You didn't have it next on the nightstand, but to the delight thing you didn't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe if I had had it right next to the bed.
Speaker 1: The light would have woken me up first. But here's here's the deal.
Speaker 2: Amazon reviews, seventy one percent of folks who are verified buyers of this product gave it five stars, seventy one percent yeah, and another nine percent gave it four stars, So eighty percent of the reviews are overwhelmingly positive.
Speaker 1: So I wanted because I didn't want to.
Speaker 2: Be a naysayer about whether or not you should get this, but I wanted to.
Speaker 1: Review some of I'll give you two good reviews.
Speaker 2: The Hatch alarm clock has completely changed how I wake up. I love the sunrise feature. It gently wakes me with light instead of a loud alarm, which has made me feel so much more rested. There are tons of customizable options for light, colors, sounds, and routines, which makes it easy to personalize and adjust based on my mood. It's easy to use, looks sleek on my nightstand and genuinely improve both my mornings and my sleep. Highly recommend. Okay another one. I used to struggle with going to bed with my phone right next to me, always checking email, text and making sure my alarms were set on my phone. But since I got the hatch restore three. It's been better. I can leave my phone charging away from my bed. I don't have to worry about not hearing my alarm or not waking up, And it's been a relief to not have that distraction right before bed, and I can rely on the alarm on the hatch to wake me up. Look, I don't have a problem with technology near me, but some people do. And that's one of the big features of this that they say that's the biggest problem for a lot of folks getting to bed is that they're on their phones and they're engaging their minds and they're interacting, and they're they're firing right right before they go to sleep, and that makes you not be able to go to sleep initially. And so if you take your phone, you can even take your phone out of your room and put this alarm clock, and you now aren't going to be tempted to pick up your phone.
Speaker 4: People don't do that anymore. We don't use alarm clocks. Phone right there, right, I didn't think about that. I don't but phone. I'm not on my phone at night kind of guy.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say, I wish that were your problem. Because that would be easy to fix. But I don't see you on your phone at night.
Speaker 1: We don't.
Speaker 2: We usually watch some silly movie and it's the last thing I remember, and I fall asleep to watching a movie. But they say that you're not supposed to do that either, bother I've gotten used to it. I didn't used to do that, you know, I do that since I've been with you. I used to be a white noise girl. I used to always put and so they have on this actual feature you can pick all sorts of noises to fall asleep to nature sounds.
Speaker 1: I think we had falling rain. Remember, I was like, what is that sound? It's falling rain.
Speaker 2: They also have meditations that you can listen to to guide you into sleeping.
Speaker 1: That's that's true. Sideways, the sideways rain, blinding rain.
Speaker 4: I knew you would come up with something.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: When we come back, I am going to read the bad review that made me feel very validated. We'll tell you where you can buy this, and we'll tell you the price because it is hefty, and that is part of the negative review and part of my concern in terms of giving this as a gift. And we will tease you Monday's gift. This is a very exciting one that we have coming on Monday, so stay with us.
Speaker 1: Welcome back everyone.
Speaker 2: We are on gift number ten of our holiday gift Guide. We are talking about the hatch Restore three alarm clock. They say you can put your phone, you can put it out of your room, and you certainly don't want to keep it near your nightstand if that's distracting you and preventing you from getting a good night's.
Speaker 1: Rest because you're using that as your alarm clock.
Speaker 2: But then you know, you see the text pop up, or you got a notification a DM from someone somewhere, and then you get back on your phone and it prevents you from going to bed. This is the answer. Don't need your phone anymore. You've got your handy alarm clock next to you.
Speaker 3: We described the way this thing looks. It doesn't look like an alarm clock. Traditionally, it looks like it was a half a sem like a half moon.
Speaker 1: It looks like a cool speaker. Almost.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's how it is. It's ground.
Speaker 3: Know they have different colors, but this one's gray. But the speaker part, it looks like a speaker. You can't see anything but then it illuminates with the time and anything else.
Speaker 2: On it, uh, just the time, and you get the sunrise effect when the alarm goes off. It's really it's pretty. It's an attractive product for sure. Putting it on your nightstand, it actually looks really nice and elegant and sleek. It's not it doesn't look like an annoying alarm clock. It's actually really gorgeous. So here is the bad review I saw on Amazon, and there were a couple similar to this, and this is where I kind of fell on things. But this is it's harsh. Greed has ruined this product, and I really hope that Hatch fixes this and makes their content free and more customizable because this is ridiculous. And by the way, the morning birds sound isn't peaceful at all. It's like five seconds song, so it's very repetitive on loop. That's what I woke up to this morning.
Speaker 4: The birds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was a lot. It was a lot of birds that were recorded. Okay, this is what he went on to say. I still have a month to return this product, and I plan on doing that because it's only been one day and I'm already frustrated with the greed and the in shiftification of this product. Make it simpler, make the app interface better, make the product not rely on a subscription. Be a product that's actually reverent to the problems that it claims to solve. Inner Piece and rest. Don't shove the paid functionality in our face before the basic free functions.
Speaker 1: So he's saying that even so he did.
Speaker 2: This without subscribing, I actually couldn't figure out how to make it work without getting it, but he because mine just basically was at like a firewall page and I had to accept the free trial in order for me to get into the content. So I'm guessing maybe everybody has to do that, and then you just cancel it. But once you cancel it, they say, all the stuff you could be getting, all the features you actually really want, are right there dangling in front of you, and you can't access them until you get the subscription. So it sounds like everyone who loved it and was happy with it went in with the mind that they were going to subscribe, that they were going to use this product with all of the bells and whistles, And if.
Speaker 4: You do that and you're committed to that, then this might work.
Speaker 2: For you just find and it does have a lot of really cool features. But I can imagine how frustrating it is if you already paid and I'm going to say how much it costs one hundred and sixty nine dollars. So if you already invest one hundred and sixty nine dollars in an alarm clock for better sleep, and then realize that you now have to pay seventy dollars a year to access the features that you paid for, that's annoying.
Speaker 4: God, that's annoying.
Speaker 2: And when you're giving a gift that is so important to know that you are requiring someone to now pay seventy bucks a year.
Speaker 1: Imagine that. Think about this. You have this alarm clock for five years. That's three hundred and fifty bucks.
Speaker 5: But I if you had to roll the price of the of this into the cost of the device, I mean, I wonder what that would be.
Speaker 3: Is this just what companies do as a money grab? I don't want to be dismissive in that way, but this is, for me at least, an awful product. And I say that not because I didn't use it or anything else, but it's offensive to me. You give me this wonderful device. You pay me for this great device, but TJ, if you want this great device to work, you gotta pay me some more every month for this thing to work.
Speaker 4: It's dah. I hate those kinds.
Speaker 2: Of products because what happens is you don't even realize and you forget because obviously, yes, you put it on a loop you don't even know, and.
Speaker 1: It doesn't seem bad. Seven dollars a month, that's a you.
Speaker 2: Can't even go to McDonald's for seven dollars, so get you. But so you think, oh, it's no big deal, and then you start looking at all the subscriptions you have for all of this technology. And then also it's hard to remember to cancel. And I'm sure it's easy to cancel, which I'll be doing in just a moment, but it's I think that's something that needs to be considered when giving a gift.
Speaker 4: Can we use it? Yeah, can we use it?
Speaker 2: I'm going to try to figure out how to use it without it and see what that's like, because look, folks did say that it was fine and it could be used, but it was just annoying on the app because you're constantly being given all sorts of tantalizing reasons why you should go ahead and subscribe.
Speaker 3: And don't want to be harsh on this, but a lot of organizations all excuse me, a lot of products, a lot of companies do this. I'm just against this idea. I mean, I can't even judge the product and use the product, but I just this idea drives me crazy. And especially for a gift, who pay you give somebody a gift that costs them money.
Speaker 1: That's tough, ye it is, And that's just.
Speaker 2: And so if you're buying it for yourself, you're going and knowing that you're almost certainly going to want the subscription, and that's just. And I just wanted to point out because it says it's only four ninety nine and forty nine ninety nine oz. You're it's it's moved up by twenty percent, right am? I?
Speaker 1: Right with that?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 2: So it's something to be considered. And it's on Hatch dot com or you can go on to Amazon and get this product. But we are really excited about Monday's gift. And here's part of the teaser. Sabine TJ's daughter saw it and got so excited she went crazy when she saw Monday's gift, and so much so that you actually went online and bought She's not going to listen to this, right, I don't think.
Speaker 1: Okay, she bought.
Speaker 2: You bought one for her, and you're gonna put it under the tree for her for Christ.
Speaker 4: She wanted to take it before we were able to review it. She was out of here with that thing and I had to stop her. She was trying to steal it.
Speaker 3: Yes, it was that exciting, and so yes, this is going to be good for kids and adults.
Speaker 4: This is a great gift, all right.
Speaker 1: We can't wait to bring that to you. But thank you for listening to us. Everyone.
Speaker 2: On this Friday, I'm Amy Robak alongside TJ. Holmes, Happy Shopping