Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to another episode of Snake's Territory, part of the Foul Territory Network. Be sure to like this video, subscribe to our YouTube channel, maybe leave us a five star review wherever you get your podcast. I am Jesse Friedman alongside Jack Summers and Jack. Diamondbacks did pretty well against the Los Angeles Dodgers over the weekend. Could they have had a sweep? Yes, maybe we will discuss later in the episode, but they still win the series on Sunday and Eduardo Rodriguez has had quite a few good games for the Diamondbacks this year, but Jack this one, considering the circumstances the opponent, it might have been his best outing of the season.
Speaker 2: I keep waiting for, you know, the collapse to happen, and it just isn't happening. I mean, this guy what a stud I mean, you know the outing that he had today, one hundred and fifteen pitches. I know you're going to go into his whole stat line, but that's what everybody's focused on. I mean, you know, nobody's thrown one hundred and fifteen pitches for the Diamondbacks this year. Erod had one hundred and five. Is his previous season high. And it's only the fifth time in the Tory Leavello era that a pitcher has thrown one hundred and fifteen or more pitches, you know, and Tory had four relievers down, as he said in the post game. And you know, one comment I made was, Hey, if things had gone sideways for e Rod in the seventh or Clark or Ginkel didn't, you know, have success closing out the game, there would have been criticism about picture usage and whether or not to pull them and all of this stuff. But we don't know what we don't know, And in this case, we didn't know that Tory had four relievers completely unavailable today, probably at least one other that had rather stay away from so great stuff today.
Speaker 1: What a stud Just to set the stage for e Rod going back out there for the seventh, I was pretty convinced that Erod was done after six. He was at ninety seven pitches. It was like, all right, this is typically around where Tory would pull someone. We figured that Taylor, Clark, Kevin Ginkel, and Juan Mario were all available. I guess Juan Mario might not have been available. Maybe he was among the four starters or the four relievers that Tory said were not available for him. But yeah, ninety seven pitches. He goes back out there for the seventh inning, and the way Tory described at post game, it was basically, if Erod gave up a base runner that was going to be it. He was going to go to Taylor Clark out of the bullpen and try to one plus Taylor Clark and have him finished the seventh inning and go the eighth, which would have been a tall task. And the seventh inning didn't start great for e Rod. Keith Hernandez put on a heck of it at bat, who was eleven pitches is when all was said and done. But eventually Erod wears him down, gets him to fly out, and then he made relatively quick work of Miguel Rojas a three pitch ground dot there. And then Otani comes up, and it's like, oh, man, if he could get through Otani a left on left matchup and then pass it off to the bullpen for the final two innings, that would just be huge. And sure enough Erod did exactly that. Otani went oh for four in this game. He had just won hit the entire weekend, and yeah, it was. It was really impressive. And this was not just Erod dominating the Dodgers in this one Jack, this was e Rod putting on a show against the Dodgers throughout the season. Twenty four innings this season in four starts against la an era of one point eighty eight, I believe is where it landed. And if you include his August thirtieth start from from last year, he's been on a nice little run here against the Dodgers for a while now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you know, it's just funny. We all tend to look at things like head to head batting stats, you know, for the hitters that they're going to face. I mean it's it's natural to look at them. We all, oh, so and so's you know, done this against this picture. And if you look at the Dodger numbers against e Rod, I mean it's startling. There are six batters that all played today that have over it had came into the game over one thousand ops, some over twelve hundred, fourteen hundred and fifteen hundred, Ki k Hernandez, Miguel Rojas, Andy Pajes fifteen plus, fourteen plus, twelve plus, and in Freddie Freeman, shohe Otani and Tiasco Hernandez all well over one thousand to eleven hundred ops against e rod All in significant app bats twenty six thirty, two thirty two. So I mean, you look at that and you say, oh boy, you know, he must have been lucky to get through all this. Sooner or later, these guys are going to get him again. But if, as Jesse just said, if you look at you know, what he did over his last five starts dating back to August thirtieth of last year, it's a one and a half era. And if you look at his career prior to August thirtieth of last year, e rod z Era was well over seven against the Dodgers, you know, he had six starts and like a seven point four something eer. And then all of a sudden, starting from August thirtieth last year, he's dominated them. I mean not just been pretty good. He's dominated the Dodgers all this year and even back to August thirtieth. So canfredict baseball, but it also is a good lesson on some of those head to head stats based you know, batting stats against pitcher don't mean a whole lot, even when there's twenty five thirty played appearances in eleven twelve hundred ops, and yet you know that can be turned on its head for a full season.
Speaker 1: Diamondbacks starting pitching overall is extremely good over the weekend. Brandon fought on Saturday, seven scoreless innings. We already talked about Marri Kelly in our last show five and two thirds of one run ball there. It was a one point three seven era for the Diamondback starting rotation in the series, and I think that is pretty clearly the biggest reason that they come away with a series win. Some other e Rod notes here Jack. The final lines seven innings, five hits, two runs, two walks, nine strikeouts, the one hundred and fifteen pitches. As you said, there were a couple of key moments that stood out to me for him. In the top of the fourth, it looked like things were maybe getting a little shaky. Tommy Edmund hit a really hard line drive that was caught to start that inning. Then Mookie Betts walked on four pitches, and then e Rod threw first the first two pitches out of the zone to Kyle Tucker. It was a two to zero count. There kind of felt like the wheels were coming off for him a little bit, and then Gabby comes out for a mound visit and e Rod throws strike one to Tuck, strike two to Tucker, gets Kyle Tucker to fly out, and then he struck out taoscar Hernandez to end that inning. Diamondbacks had a bit of a defensive mishap in the six as well. You really could argue that Erod should have only given up one run in this outing. With Freddie Freeman at first and two outs in the sixth, Kyle Tucker hit a double down the right field line, and it was not exactly a model sequence of events in that spot. Corby and Carroll got to the ball relatively quickly, but he bounced the throw to Ildemar Vargas as the cutoff man, and Vargas seemed like kind of surprised. I guess that the Dodgers were sending Freddy Freeman to begin with. His throw to home plate I think was a two hopper, not really competitive at all, and Freddie Freeman is a lot of things still at this stage in his career, a good base runner is not one of them. Nonetheless, the Diamondbacks able to at least limit the damage, and it's because e Rod came out and struck out. The next hitter was able to get out of that jam.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a little concerned, I mean to throw from Carol. I mean the ball bounced kind of right in front of Argus. I think he kind of was surprised and he kind of had a hot back to get it, and that may have been why he kind of hesitated. And then he, as you said, didn't get a good throw off. So a couple of bad throws and a really poor relay overall. We've talked about before how Corbyn's arm might you know, was sore to begin the season. It might have that looked like a sore arm throw to me, so, you know, and Vargas was out there pretty far. That was the other thing that really stood out to me was how far out Vargas went for that throw. Yeah, you know, it wasn't like he was ten feet behind the infield dirt. He really got out there while Corbyn was going into the corner and digging it and it was such a short distance to cover. So that's to me why it was so shocking that the ball bounced and he couldn't get it to him on the fly. So something to keeping on with regards to Corman in his arm. You know, hopefully there's no injury there, but he had a sore arm early in the year and he kind of worked through it, but it may have red its head again.
Speaker 1: E Rod in that spot, despite the extra run scoring there, he was able to work out of the jam. I think it was tia Oscar Hernandez, the next hitter that he just blew away with fastballs, and I thought it was kind of cool Jack that E Rod's fastball velocity seemed to get higher as the game was going on. He averaged ninety two point four in the sixth and then ninety three point three in the seventh. Those are his two highest fastball velo innings of his entire outing, and those are the last two innings that he pitched. And of course the seventh inning he started at ninety seven pitches and finished at one hundred and fifteen. He was still pumping it in there at ninety three miles an hour. So the pitchability right now with e Rod is excellent. He was twenty two for twenty eight first pitch strikes, just five of the seven and teen balls in play by Dodgers' hitters. Were hard to hit. I know, the strikeouts are what they are. He had nine of them today to kind of boost his strikeout rate a little bit. But he just knows how to pitch. And it kind of feels like we just got to throw the analytics out the window at a certain point, Jack, because he just continues to go out there and do this.
Speaker 2: Well, we don't have to throw him out the window, but we can note their improvement, right. I mean, his FIP dropped in this game to three point eighty four and that's compared to his ER two point seven, So I mean, you know, it's getting close to under a run difference and you know whereas before it was like over a two run difference. And the RA has gone up a little bit, but the FIP has come down significantly, So you know, that's kind of what you were hoping for, right, Not that his RA ballooned and that was what closed the gap and regressed to the mean, but that his FIP actually improved and that's what we're seeing. So you know, hat tip once again to Dwaughter Rodriguez. You know, where would the Diamondbacks be without him? That's a cliche at this point, but he's just been a phenomenal stud for this team, and they're very, very lucky to have him.
Speaker 1: I know, there's only you know, there's still a couple months left in the season and maybe things could change. But if the season were to end tomorrow, Eduardo Rodriguez is the most valuable player on this team, right, I mean that's I think that's where I land right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's either him or Gabby, right, you know, it's one of those two. And you know, you can make arguments either way, because Gabby's great, not just that he's hitting, but I mean, you know, he's he's catching good ball games, he's handling pitcher as well. You know, he's grown a lot, I think in those areas of his game. I think he's calling better games. I think he's just the way he's handling pitchers is really improved. I Mean we've all known he's had the physical tools that he can throw, and you know, he's pretty good at framing and all of that. But I'm more impressed with how he's controlling the games. And like you talked about, you know, the timing getting out there talking to him, you Rod, when he did I mean that may be a standard time to get out there and talk. But maybe more so with a rookie or a young pitcher and less so with a veteran. But Gabby can march out there whenever the heck he wants. At this point, he's the guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Gabby has been extremely valuable for the Diamondbacks as well. He had an RBI double in this game. Not a whole lot of offense for the Diamondbacks overall in this one, but they got just enough, and we're going to talk about that after this break, So don't go anywhere. We'll be back right after this here on Snake's territory.
Speaker 3: I know this is a busy time of year for many of you, including AJ. When you're home, you need everything to get done fast with quality.
Speaker 4: Absolutely That's why Factor meals are perfect for me. Ready in two minutes, healthy, pre made protein, all the things I like vegetables. They're all to one and it's quick, easy cleanup, don boom on full move on to the.
Speaker 3: Next task, no prep, no cleanup. Every week you'll find over one hundred nutrient dense menu items to choose from and new options like salmon burgers, shredded pork, and much more. Plus add on Jill crave like pumpkin flavored cheesecake and protein shakes. Let's eat real. Head to Factor Meals dot com. Slash foul fifty off and use code foul five zero off to get fifty percent off and one free breakfast item per box for one year while supplies last until ten thirty one, twenty six. That's code foul fifty off at Factor meals dot com Foul fiftyoff Factor Meals dot Com. See website for more details.
Speaker 1: We are back here on Snake's territory. If you haven't already, it would really help us out if you would drop a like on this video here on YouTube, and if you're joining us on an audio only platform, it also really helps if you would leave us a five star review. We really really appreciate all of you who have already done that, and yeah, if you haven't yet, it's a really great way to support the show. Well Jack. We'll get into the chaos of Saturday here in a moment, but before we do, the Diamondbacks did get just enough offense in this Sunday game. Kaateel Marte had the big blow in the first inning, a two run home run against the left handed pitcher no surprises there. Katel feels like he's done pretty much all of his damage offensively against lefties for the past couple of months at this point. But a big swing there for Katel Marte and then Dbacks come right back. In the bottom of the second, Tyler Locklear led off that inning with a bloop double down the right field line. Ryan Waldschmidt then laid down a bunch, which I'm sure made you very happy, Jack, And it worked out amazingly well because Justin Robleski threw it away and Walt Schmitt winds up advancing to second. Locklear scores, and then the d Backs score another run later in the inning, Gabby Moreno hit an RBI double, So the d Backs had a four to nothing lead through two innings of this baseball game. And I think, particularly given the way that last night's game ended and the emotional let down that all of that was, Tory referenced this in his press game. In his postgame press conference, it was pretty impressive to see the d Bacs just go out there and start laying it on Justin Robleski right away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was great knocking him out of the game until you got to the Dodgers' bullpen, which was a little odd, but yes, it was awesome to see the fast start. We kind of half expected that four runs would not be all they would get on the day. You figured to end up with at least five or six. They did miss some opportunities to tack on I think they ended up over seven with runners in scoring position. It was a tough weekend in that regard. As Jesse pointed out to me, I had tweeted out a chart pre and post May twenty fifth, but that was a little bit skewed unintentionally because it did overlook the fact that the batting numbers with runners in scoring position up until today, even despite last night, were still like two ninety three for the month of August, and they were about two thirty seven for July. So it wasn't like terrible. It was the one sixty two in June that really tanks the numbers, and so.
Speaker 1: You know, to you in June, oh gosh, yeah something.
Speaker 2: I won sixty one sixty something. Don't exactly quote me, I was in the one sixties, but you know, I mean from They had a walk leadoff walk by Walt Schmidt, which was nice to see because he hasn't been getting a lot of walks lately on top of other things. Obviously, the big home run the other night was more than made up for that. But it was just nice to see him draw based on balls. And then Heraldo Padomo singled, and then that was it for the Diamondbacks offense. Fifteen up, fifteen down. The minute they got Robleski out of the game and all the right handed believers one after another came in. That was it. Fifteen up, fifteen down for the rest of the game. You know, obviously because of the work that was done by Iron and then Taylor Clark and Kevin Ginkle. My heavens yet, I mean pumpkin ninety seven ninety eight mile an hour fastballs. He was feeling it, you know, kind of got away from the slider and just here it is, here's my fastball. Hit it if you can, and they could not. He did a really great job in the ninth inning, so you know, all's well, that ends well on that score. Kind kind of do raise my eyebrows a little bit at the offense. They just still struggle against right handed pitching.
Speaker 1: Yeah, today's game was sort of a perfect encapsulation of that. Right I mean, they did awesome against Justin Robleski. They were six for sixteen with three walks against him. It's like a five hundred on base percentage basically while he's in the game. And then Corbyn Carroll strikes out. That's the last batter that Robleski faces. Predictably, Dave Roberts being pretty aggressive, he goes to his bullpen there in the fifth inning. And yeah, as you said, the Diamondbacks didn't manage a single base hit even a base runner the rest of the way. And I liked at these numbers again before the game, and they still shocked me. Like I knew the Diamondbacks had significant splits comparing, you know, facing lefties versus facing righty's, but I'm not sure I saw it. I knew it was quite this significant. Entering today's game, the d Backs had a two to seventy six average a seven to eighty one OPS against lefties this season. They're one twelve WRC plus against lefties, ranked fourth in all of baseball entering today. You flip it around against righty's, the d Backs were hitting two thirty one with a six eighty three OPS against righty's entering today. Those numbers, of course, have only gone down after the for fifteen or oh for fourteen. In this one. The d Backs have an eighty eight WRC plus this year against rights, which is tied for dead last and all of baseball. And while, as you said, all as well that ends well the Dbacks were able to score enough runs to win this game, it does cause me to think a little bit jack, to like, what would this team look like in a postseason series? What kind of weaknesses could a team really try to exploit in a short series, especially think about the wild Card round, and man, it feels like that the way to beat this Dbacks team is to just throw as many right handed pitchers as you possibly can. It doesn't even feel like they have to be like awesome right handed pitchers right now. I mean just any right handed pitcher is having their way with this offense right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's got to be fixed. I mean, I don't really know all the answers. Obviously, Corbyn coming around against righties would help you sure expect that, you know, the whole thing. Earlier in the year. I mean, he had these phenomenal numbers against lefties. Those have dropped. I mean, it's still over three hundred batting average, but I mean it was four fifty or something absurd like up and up until mid late May, I think, you know, so he's really fallen off against lefties and falling off in general. Kattelle mentioned is not as I'm sorry, catelig Mench isn't hitting right handed pitching very well. And those two guys, I mean, regardless of the handedness of the pitchers, that's those are the guys that have to find consistency and have to be stars in order for this team to have a chance to get all the way to the promised land of the postseason and do anything when they get there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Diamondbacks, Yeah, runners in scoring position. Was not a not a great weekend for that. As you said, they were zero for seven in this finale, two for thirty overall, or sorry, four for thirty overall over the weekend, which is a one to thirty three batting average. Not great. And Jack, that's an unfortunate segue into a Saturday's game, which we won't spend too much time on. It was a bit of a bummer, but it was still one of the most interesting baseball games of the season for sure. Diamondbacks and Dodgers were in a scoreless tie for the vast majority of the game. Brandon fought seven scoreless innings. Yamamoto, the d Backs had their opportunities there. He gets away with five and two thirds scoreless. D Backs down one nothing going into the bottom of the ninth inning, and it started about as well as you could have imagined. Jack back to back triples Heraldo Perdomo and Corbyn Carroll against Edwin Diaz. It really felt like the d Backs were about to hand Diaz his second loss in as many days. And then that just didn't happen. Gaby Moreno hit a hard line drive. Just kind of tough luck there, could tell. Marte pops up the d Backs unable to score there in the ninth. Dodgers push across a run in the top of the tenth, questionable defensive positioning with Tim Tawa sticking pretty close to first base. Sho Heyo Tani hit like a seventy three mile an hour ground ball that winds up going for an infield single that drove in a run. And then Ryan Waldschmidt, the hero from the day prior, hits into a double play in the bottom of the tenth. Kind of a fitting end to that one, unfortunately, just given how many missed opportunities the Dbacks had.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was painful. It was a painful game to watch. There were just so many things in that game. Obviously all of the two for sixteen with runers in scoring position, and one of those hits didn't bring in a run by the way, I think it was, you know, got to run into third base. So when you have that many opportunities and of course you have you know, the run around third and nobody out to win the game, and you don't pull it off. Some of the explanations that Tory gave post game I wasn't very satisfied with. Neither was Mark Grace. He kind of went off before the Tory's postgame interviews and made a number of complaints. For example, why have Tim Tawe try to bunt on two pitches and then end up striking out? You know? And I agreed with that, although I've advocated for the bunt often in extra innings when you're down by a run and you need a crooked number, that was the time to let Tim Tawis swing away and not rob the a bat from him by having him screw around trying to get a butt down so you don't play for the tie when you're home down by a run with the extra innings, that's my And then having Tala hold the run, hold the runner on with Otani up. I didn't agree with that. So there were some things there that, you know, and Torri got Garcia up three times in that game before he finally got him in there. He was holding him back, uh for the top of the order if he had to. Uh, Brandon fought. Had he not gotten out of the seventh inning, and I think it was Tucker that was going to come up, then they would have brought in Garcia to face Tucker. But otherwise, you know, Brandon fuck got out of the inning, and so they went elsewhere in the bullpen. And you know, Jonathan Isaaca, unfortunately is just really struggling against lefties this year, and his sinker is not usable against left handed batters. He's just he's getting crushed and so it's a difficult spot to be in. I get it. I criticize people who criticize bullpen management too much, so I don't want to go there too much. But it was nerve wracking to see Garcia get up and not getting in the game and get up again and not getting the game, and then finally getting the game. That didn't feel right to me. So hopefully there's no repercussions on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this Diamondbacks bullpen has definitely been heavily taxed in recent days and we've started to see that catch up with them a little bit. Fortunately on Sunday they're able to get out of out of there with a win. But yeah, it was it was one of the most difficult. Actually didn't watch the game live. I was I was hanging out with some friends, which in retrospect, I didn't feel like I had to go back and watch every single moment of the game because it it's it sounded like a very difficult game to watch, and even watching the condensed game afterwards, I was like, oh man, this is a this is a rough one to lose. But I think you said it well last night, Jack that when we were when we were chatting like the Diamondbacks probably didn't deserve to win Friday's game, and yet they did, and they probably should have won Saturday's game, but they didn't. And that's just baseball, Like you're gonna you're gonna win some games that you should have lost. You're gonna lose some games that you should have won. The hope is that when the dust settles at the end of the year, you've maybe pulled out a few more that you should have lost than games lost that you that you should have won. And I think the d Backs are still in a pretty decent spot in that regard, Like, this team has won quite a few close games. I don't have their their record in one run games in front of me right now. I think it's still pretty good. But yeah, this is a team that has generally come through in big moments when they've needed to, and winning two out of three. You'll certainly take that against the Dodgers, and in the process, the d Backs also win the season series with the Dodgers. They take seven games to the Dodgers six. It's the first time since twenty eighteen that the Diamondbacks have managed to do that.
Speaker 2: D Backs are twenty one and seventeen and one run games. They're five and seven and extra innings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the extra innings thing hasn't been hasn't been great.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's just a weird thing for them. They're fifteen and sixteen in blowouts run within five runs or more. So you know, in my opinion, I think that this team may not have enough firepower to advance through the playoffs, but you know, we'll have to see how they get there. Let's it's a pretty good segue into standings and where they are and just go for there.
Speaker 1: Diamondbacks, with this win, now have a game and a half lead on the San Diego Padres, at least as of us recording this. We're recording here on Sunday evening. By the time you all get around to watching or listening that Padres Astros evening game is probably over, so we apologize we don't have the latest update here for you, but it's a game and a half lead over San Diego right now. The Marlins are three games out, Cardinals are three and a half. The Phillies did win today. I think it would have been a sweep to the Toronto Blue Jays if they hadn't. It was another chaotic extra inning game for them, but they came away with a win. So d Backs and Phillies stay tied for the second and third wild card spots, and then it's San Diego game and a half behind them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I mean, basically, Cubs, Marlins, the Cardinals, and Nationals all one pirates lost and appear to be fading away. So you know, look, it's all going to come down to the final weekend. I was kind of sitting here playing with it today and where I think it lands. I think we're going to think we're going to need at least eighty six eighty seven wins to get in. That's my opinion, even though the current pace is about eighty four, maybe eighty four and a half after winning today. But I just think that, you know, between the d Backs and the Padres, one of these teams is going to get hot and need to stay hot enough to get to about eighty seven. That's my opinion.
Speaker 1: I think the pace is eighty six. I look this up shortly before we went live. D Backs are seven games over five hundred right now, so figures that they're on pace about ten over by the end of the season. So they're on pace for a roughly eighty six seventy six record. I guess maybe you're going off the rest of season fors Jack, which would.
Speaker 2: Calculated their their their pace was like eighty four and change or something like eighty four and a half before the win today, So I was just guessing what it was.
Speaker 1: Sure, Yeah, something in the mid eighty range. How many wins it's going to ultimately take to to land that third wild card spot. It's it's always hard to say, even as we're you know, within a couple months at this point, but yeah, the Diamondbacks need to go out and just keep winning, and they managed to do that, taking two out of three from the Dodgers. Uh, it does feel like the Dodgers are a team that, like, like the d Backs, there's no intimidation factor there. You don't get the sense that the d Backs of any level of intimidation facing them. They seem to be pretty amped up maybe, if anything, to face the juggernaut of Major League Baseball. And I was looking looking at some some head to head numbers from recent seasons. You go back to twenty nineteen through the end of twenty twenty three, the regular season in twenty twenty three, the d Backs were twenty three and fifty seven against the Dodgers in that span, which is mind boggling just how bad that is. Twenty three and fifty seven. And then from the start of from when Clayton Kershaw through the first pitch in the playoffs in twenty twenty three to present, the Diamondbacks are twenty two and twenty against the Dodgers since then. And I know, like, I don't know if I fully believe what I'm about to say, Jack, but I'm gonna say it anyway. I think that if any team in the National League is going to knock out the Dodgers in the playoffs, I kind of think it's the Arizona Diamondbacks at least at least I think they might have a better chance in my head in a head to head matchup. Not because I'm like looking at the rosters and being like, oh yeah, like what are the Dodgers going to do, you know, against Michael Soroka in Game three or whatever it is, But there's just something about this Diamondbacks team playing the Dodgers. I'm throwing all the analytics out the window right now. It just feels like the Diamondbacks are a type of team that could go into Dodgers Stadium when it really matters and actually knock the Dodgers out of the playoffs. I'm not sure I'd trust any other NL team to be able to do that.
Speaker 2: Well. I mean, the Diamondbacks have already ruined baseball once by beating the Dodgers in twenty twenty three. Yeah, and so LA had a temper tantrum and they went out and you know, spend a billion dollars on players just to try to you know, overcome that, and they successfully did so, and they won back to back World Series. So heading into the lockout and whatever happens coming out of the CBA, where you know, some of those big money contracts may end up being difficult for them to deal with. I'm sure there'll be some kind of grandfather clause or whatever. But you know, if there's going to be either increase revenue sharing or some limitation on payroll, that's going to put at least a dent in the Dodgers' ability to dominate so much financially. It would be absolutely fitting if it was a DBAK set once again close the book on the Dodgers dominance.
Speaker 1: That would be something that would be something I guess we're getting ahead of ourselves a little bit maybe having that conversation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the d.
Speaker 1: Backs, their playoff odds are still basically a coin flip at this point, so you got to get in in order to have a shot at that.
Speaker 2: Of course, And you know all of these words are recorded and can be picked up and thrown back in my face. But hey, we're here to have fun, guys.
Speaker 1: I like that perspective. Yes, we have more to get to in this episode. The Diamondbacks made a very interesting free agent signing sort of out of nowhere on Sunday, so we're going to dive into that. We're also going to preview the upcoming series against the Rockies, so don't go anywhere. We'll be back right after this. Here on Snake's Territory.
Speaker 3: Science Experiment. For the one minute, we have to tell you about why we love Quint's electrolytes, including watermelon salt, raspberry salt. And I'm holding a citrus salt, just opened it and pour some powder into my water, Shake it up, and AJ, why do you love it?
Speaker 4: I love Quints because after a long night out, a long day at the gym, a long walk in this Florida humidity, it tastes great and it gives me all the electrolytes I need. Why sugar free, stevia free keto approve and taste sweet because of that delicious fermented rice.
Speaker 3: It does taste really good. I'm drinking it right now while we talking about it. It's also made in the USA, rigorously third party tested. Give your body what it really needs to stay hydrated. Go to quints dot com slash foul for free shipping on your order and three sixty five day returns. That's qui ncee dot com slash fu l for free shipping and three sixty five day returns quint dot com slash foul. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: As d Wardo Rodriguez was spinning his gem against Los Angeles Dodgers, Mike Hazen was on the phone, or maybe this happened hours before. I don't really know what the timing was, but the Diamondbacks have signed right handed pitcher Zach Lateel to a free agent contract. The news at least broke during this game between the Diamondbacks and the Dodgers, and this kind of this very much came out of nowhere. I didn't really We've talked about Dennis Santana, the d Backs. They have this opportunity to kind of take some shots on guys that maybe get let go by other teams Lateel was designated for assignment last week by the Washington Nationals. He has a four point nine to seven ERA on the season a one point three to four whip. The strikeout numbers have never been great for him. This year, he is a fourteen point six percent k rate, which is which is quite low, but he does have a three point one eight ERA when working out of the bullpen, and it seems like maybe that's the Diamondbacks plan for him, not as a traditional reliever, but maybe as a bulk innings guy who has an opener come into the game before him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And in his case, for most of the time when they used the opener in front of him, which the Dbacks may or may not do, that he came in like in the third inning, so the openers would go the first and second inning and then he would come I think one of the games he came in actually in the first because I think the opener got in trouble. But the other games where he was the bulk pitcher, he'd come in typically in the third inning. And so I don't see the Dbacks doing that. But we'll find out. I mean, you know, hopefully the deal will be official by the time we see Tory on Monday and we can ask him about the intended usage of him. But he looks like according to Nick mccro who's the one that broke the news wrote the article about it, it looks like he's going to be a swingman and he could be used as a starter. He could be used as a bulk guy, could be a piggyback guy if a starter goes short. So we'll see how they intend to use him. They're only paying a pro rated amount of the league minimum. The Nationals are picking up his salary. I saw some speculation online about the fact that he's got a buyout of his players option. The Dbacks are not on the hook for that, that is the Nationals. So it doesn't cost the Dvacs anything to give us a shot. And as tired as the bullpen has been, you know, bringing in a guy that has had success as a quote unquote book reliever that you could use for two or three innings at a time hopefully works out well. Some of the caveats with him, I mean, earlier in the year, every time I was looking up Zach Gallon's rating on a fifth percentage on the fastball, it was Lattel Gallon neck and neck for the lowest number in the league. And his sinker numbers are not good either. I mean, it's a little tough to function out there without a functioning fastball. But maybe those fastball numbers were better when he worked and relieved. They got to be based on the fact that his era is so much better. So we'll see how they use them, and you know, they what they have in store for him. But interesting signing. I'm not super optimistic that he's going to be a big contributor. We've seen guys' length, guys come in here and have a good game and then have a blow up game and you know, kind of go back and forth. So we'll see how Ltel does. But at this point, with the bullpen so tired and not enough depth, you can't really fault this effort.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, if the Diamondbacks were saying that Mitch brad is going down to Reno and they're putting Zach Lyttel into their rotation tomorrow, like that would be a bit of an eyebrow raiser. Obviously, bratt was awesome his last time out, and Latel's numbers this year in as a starting pitcher are not particularly good. That that would be a little odd in in the role that I think the d Backs are going to have him where he's he's really a he's really a bullpen guy, but a bullpen guy, you can give you some length. Maybe they do the opener thing and have you plan on giving him four or five innings from time to time. I think that sort of makes sense. I mean, if you're comparing him with the you know, the Philip Abner and Cad Strouds of the world. Right now, Paul Seewald is still on the roster. It's not like the Diamondbacks have eight awesome relievers that they're rostering right now. There is some some room here to give someone else a shot, and he does have much better numbers pitching in that bulk reliever sort of role. I think I mentioned it earlier. It's a three to one eight er, a one point one to three whip. His strikeout rate is sixteen point one percent, which is still low, but at least you can kind of stomach that his walk rate is only five percent, So he really he really doesn't walk anyone, or at least he hasn't walked anyone in that setting. He's held opposing hitters to a six sixty eight OPS when entering the game out of the bullpen. So I think I see where the Dbacks are coming from here. I think in that role it could totally make sense. I'm just curious what this looks like. Is this is this Mitch Bratt becomes the opener for a couple of innings and then you hand it off to Zac Lttel. I'm curious what the what the plan will ultimately be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean, look, Mitch Bratt just showed that he can go seven innings when he's having a good game. So if he's pissing a good game, they're not going to yank them. But I mean, if he's having a rough time with command and control and walks through innings three and four, you know, and the pitch counts climbing, then it's certainly, you know, feasible to bring in a guy like Lttel. And I think they'd like to bring him in for a clean inning, though, like I don't think they'd want to bring him in to get him to, you know, have to get put out of fire with men on base.
Speaker 1: Sure, lets tell it. I also noticed that he had a really bad March April, and his r since May first is three point nine to eight, So his his era for the seasons maybe a little inflated by just being really really bad for the first few appearances of the season. But yeah, you know, not a guy that we think is starting Game one of the wild Card Round or something if the Dbacks make it there. But an interesting, interesting depth move. Nonetheless, we'll see what the team says when that move is made official. Do you have anything else on that Jack before we hop over to the Rocky Series.
Speaker 2: No, because as we hop over to the Rocky Series, we'll be talking about one other pitcher and that's kind of related to this a little bit.
Speaker 1: Well, here are the probables for that series against the Rockies. It's going to be Michael Soroka pitching for the first time in a long time since early June. Early mid June. We'll see Michael Soroka start on Monday, Mitch Bratt is set to go on Tuesday, Mary Kelly on Wednesday, and then for the Rockies, it's gonna be Gabriel Hughes, a right handed pitcher going on Monday, Tomayuki Sugano on Tuesday, Ryan Feltner on Wednesday. These are not flashy names, Jack, but anytime I see a series with three right handed pitchers lined up against this Dbacks offense, it does make me think like, all right, let's you know, you need some guys to start to figure things out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, so what I wanted to say is, you know, Soroka coming back. He went four innings fifty seven pitches on his rehab assignment, and so I think the best you're gonna get from him is gonna be about five and sixty five or five and seventy. In other words, you'll get five, he'll probably touch the fifth inning. But if he's going to finish the fifth inning, he's gonna have to be fairly efficient and keep that pitch count, you know, or around seventy to get there. That that's my estimation on his outing. So they're going to have to use the bullpen again tomorrow to paper over you know, the fact that Soca is still getting stretched out, So it's not going to be very long before they actually need zach lad Lattel to provide some some bulk innings as a long reliever. He won't be tomorrow because I don't think he's going to be official and in that clubhouse and ready to pitch tomorrow. But you know, as they go through the next the rest of the week, in the road trip, I think they're going to need him. Just a quick note on Gabriel Hughes. He was a former first round draft pick and he's got a two six' five, fit so you know there he's a little bit better than his. Era. SIGANO i don't know how he's doing what he's.
Speaker 1: DOING i don't know how he's pulling it, off but he.
Speaker 2: Is he's got a four and a HALF era and HIS xcra is well over, seven and his fit numbers are way up there. Too you Know, feldner you know they should be able to hit. Him so we'll see how it. Goes but The, rockies one THING i want to say is That Corus field isn't playing quite quite so extreme as it has in the. Past it's been a little bit more. Muted some of that might be personnel, related of, course but the park factors there are like one hundred and, eleven which means it's been playing roughly eleven percent more hitterish than the Average Major league, park whereas in the past we used to seeing that number like, fifteen, one, sixteen sometimes as high as seventeen or eighteen in some. Years so one eleven's on the lower end of the spectrum of what we see out Of Coors.
Speaker 1: Field jake, McCarthy of, course will be returning To Chase field in this in this, SERIES dbacs also hosted The rockies back In, may so this won't be the first. Time But jake is having a very nice season for, himself and, frankly The diamondbacks could really use it's someone Like jake McCarthy with the year he's. Had he enters the series with a one NINETEEN wrc. Plus he's hitting up over three hundred three zh six a five eighteen slugging. Percentage, yeah as you, Said coursfield is going to have an impact for sure on the raw. Numbers but this is not just a course field aberration For jake. McCarthy i, mean this is probably the best season he's ever. Had is w his one NINETEEN wrc, plus which is park, adjusted that's the best mark of his. Career and, YEAH i mean he's a really key part of an Improved rockies.
Speaker 2: Offense, YEAH i mean he's hitting three eighteen with eight homers a, course but he's hitting two ninety with five homers on the. Road just hit a couple of homers in a Tough Pitchers, Ballpark Bush. STADIUM i had a two homer. Game and when you break out HIS wrc plus by home and, away it's one seventeen home one nineteen. Away so it's not like he's just you, know taking a manager of course, field although he, is and everything else is just. Met he's actually been really good on the. Road obviously he's been hotter. Lately but you, know we talk About, JAKE i don't want to do the whole you, know regret and trading and you know. Whatever i'm just happy For jake. McCarthy i really Like jake. McCarthy i think he's a great. DUDE i enjoyed covering him as a writer and looking forward to seeing him. Tomorrow just hope he doesn't stay. Hot i'd like to see him go over twelve and then carry on with his season after.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow, well we'll see what it looks. Like of, course there can be a natural sort of emotional letdown when you have The rockies coming in after facing The. Dodgers there's over one hundred and thirty thousand fans At Chase field over the. WEEKEND i don't think it's going to be quite as packed for A monday Through wednesday series Against. Colorado but The diamondbacks very much need to keep doing what they're. Doing they're back to seven games over five, hundred WHICH i believe is still their high water mark of the. SEASON i don't think they've gotten. Past there were thirty one and twenty four back in Late may and they have not managed to get to eight games over five. Hundred so This rocky series is a good opportunity to do. That we are excited to follow along with. You you can stay tuned over to Our twitter. Account we'll post our show schedule for the week over. There you can find that At Snake's. Territory you can find me At jesse. N friedman And jack is At Shoe wizard fifty, nine and of course you can Find jack's written work as well over At Arizona diamondbacks ON Si jack any final thoughts here as we say goodbye and head into this new series Against. Colorado what a.
Speaker 2: Weekend great to see The dbacks takedown The dodgers two to, one and onward and.
Speaker 1: Upward thank you again to all of you for being here with. Us we really appreciate your, time and we'll be back with another edition Of Snake's. Territory very racing