Speaker 1: Kutbooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the Old Republic, a soul fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse. Wow to the clearing House of hot takes, break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Mahller starts right now.
Speaker 3: In the air everywhere, The Fifth Hour with Me, Ben Mahler and Danny g Radio.
Speaker 1: It is a Friday.
Speaker 3: Welcome, the weekend has begun, a very very busy time the first day of November. We have made it through Halloween, a rather uneventful Halloween for me. Danny, by the way, will join us for the Saturday and Sunday podcast. He's on assignment. He's actually on his way to Seattle right now for the Covino and Rich Show on Fox Sports Radio. So you are stuck with just me, just little old me here today on the Fifth Hour podcast as we celebrate Extra Mile Day. That's one of those fugazy holidays today where you are supposed to roll up your sleeves, assuming you're wearing long sleeves, You roll up your sleeves and you go the extra mile. Yes, so that that is today. There's some other fugazee holidays as there are every day. It's deck the Everything Day today. I don't even know what that means. And what else is it? It's all Saints Day, World Vegan Day, always big National Author's Day as well. It's National cook for your Pet Day.
Speaker 1: I think I'm good on that.
Speaker 3: But today on the podcast, the Fifth Hour Podcast, where we've got a lot of business to get to. We've got the Rockets, red Glare. The tall at the time will be footy fun and the phrase of the week. But we begin with this a programming note. We are now in week nine of the NFL season. Now. Last night the Jets Suck, Suck, Suck, were horrific for the first thirty minutes and then came back and went hog wild in the second half.
Speaker 1: Aaron Rodgers actually looked like he knew what he was doing.
Speaker 3: That Cayenne Pepper kicked in and the Jets got it done.
Speaker 1: They won.
Speaker 3: They were a small favorite and one of those games the public was loading up on the Houston Texans picking again. It was like a broken atm machine. Free money. Everyone gets free money, and how did that work out?
Speaker 1: Not good? Not good.
Speaker 3: But with that being said, though, as we head into the football weekend, the meat and potatoes of the football Weekend later today, in fact, depending on when this podcast goes up, I'm recording it early in the morning here on Friday, the first of November. But it'll go up in a little bit. I don't know exactly when. I don't it's not my pay grade, but when it goes up, we will. We will advise you to watch Benny versus the pay I know all you do is promote the TV show. Well's yeah, it's a big deal. It's a big deal, and I'd love for you to be a part of it and we tell you stories behind the scenes and whatnot and the good news for the TV show. I've been getting absolutely cooked by the Penny. I'm like a munchkin compared to the Penny.
Speaker 1: This year.
Speaker 3: It's one of my worst seasons I've ever had, if not the worst, against the Penny.
Speaker 1: Picking NFL games.
Speaker 3: I'm doing the same thing, the same thing that I've done in terms of hand capping, and it just hasn't gone my way so far. This year, but it will even out as we go through the season. I will rack up some wins. So there were some signs of life. Now Benny Versus the Penny today in Philadelphia and BC Sports Philadelphia seven pm tonight, you'll be able to watch the show. In Boston. The Celtics are playing the Hornets, which is good for the Celtics because that's an easy game, but it's bad for the show because we get bumped.
Speaker 1: We're gonna be on late night. I think the.
Speaker 3: Show is gonna be on a ten thirty or eleven. It's after the Celtics Hornets game and the postgame coverage on NBC Sports Boston, so please check that out. That is the hub. That is where the show is produced. Benny, who is the man in charge day to day of Benny Versus the Penny. He lives in that area and in all the people at NBC Sports Boston have been so great. We go back there every year and tape a bunch of stuff and so put the show together. They produced the show during the week so that's on NBC Sports Boston and it's gonna be on after the Celtics tonight, but all weekend long they've been very good to us. They show the show over and over again on NBC Sports Boston in the Bay Area.
Speaker 1: This was pretty cool.
Speaker 3: So Alamta Lou sent me a message at the King Fisher Bar over in Oakland and Thursday night. I've not heard of this, bro. I didn't realize the show started airing on Thursday night. I thought it just started on Friday. But in some markets I know in the NBC Sports Bay Area, the show was broadcast on Thursday night, which is really cool.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. We do the.
Speaker 3: Show Thursday during the day and by Thursday night the show's being broadcast. That's outstanding. Obviously it's not a live show, but it's got to be edited and put together and all that, although it is live on tape, as Tom Looney likes say. Several showings, including tonight at six pm, nine to thirty pm on NBC Sports Bay Area obviously those times specific, and then on Saturday we hit La La Land on Spectrum Sportsnet LA. That'll be Saturday eight am, LA time there, three pm and five pm. And if you have not been paying attention, I don't know how you could have missed this. But Benny Versus the penny is now National on NBC's streaming platform Peacock. You can get the show starting later today on this Friday, sometime late afternoon, early evening throughout the weekend and enjoy Benny Versus the Penny whenever you want, watch it over and over again. Give the gift of Benny Versus the Penny to someone else. I do whatever you want with the show, but all of that will be available. So we're very excited about the show this week. And I did debut some new wardrobe. I know, try to stay Colm, try to stay new wardrobe.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: It's exciting. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So that'll be today and all weekend long, Benny Versus the Penny. Now the Rockets Red Glare. Today is a big day. It is parade day in LA And while I am thrilled that the Lawyers won the World Series, I was floating.
Speaker 1: On air when they won. It's great, wonderful.
Speaker 3: I will not be in attendance at the Dodger Parade, which I believe starts at like eleven o'clock. There's a rally at Dodger Stadium. I will not be there because I do an overnight show and then a few hours later I record a podcast and at some point I have to sleep because I have things I have to do. I have like a day and a half off because I work Friday, and these are first world problems. But I'm off Friday night all day Saturday, and I'm back to work on Sunday night.
Speaker 1: So I have like a day and a half where I can kind of do what I want.
Speaker 3: And I obviously have this podcast, but other than that, I don't have to prepare for a four hour radio show.
Speaker 1: It's the fifth hour podcast.
Speaker 3: Which is normally you know, thirty thirty five minutes somewhere in that ballpark, and so that's typically how long the podcast is. So I will not be at the parade today. But the bums did it. After years of heartbreak mixed in with the most ridiculous, outstanding, marvelous championship run during a global pandemic, the Boys in Blue are back on top, the twenty twenty four world champions and they slayed the Mets and the Yankees and the Padres on their way to the championship. The parade this morning. Now, I want to go back to was it Wednesday?
Speaker 1: I guess it was Wednesday.
Speaker 3: It was Game five and on Wednesday, I don't eat. That's my day. I used to fast multiple days. I don't eat on Wednesday. And the reason I don't need on Wednesday is because the TV shows on Thursday. So I don't want to look bloated, and I'm very worried about my girlish figure. So what I did was I settled in on the sofa my laptop and I'm scanning around. I'm like looking for things that are interesting to me that I want to talk about from football and the different sports. And as I'm doing that, starting to get ready for the show. In my head, I'm trying to map out what's the show going to.
Speaker 1: Look like tonight.
Speaker 3: No, I don't know what's going to happen in the baseball game, and I don't know what's gonna happen to all these games and whatnot, but in my head I've mapped out. I'm like, all right, if the Dodgers lose, there's a game six. So in my head, I'm like, all right, we'll do one monologue on baseball. We'll get it all in to an hour of baseball, and then I'll move on to football. There's some other stories that I like. And then the Dodgers came back and I was like, all right, you know this is worthy of two hours. This is an hour on the Dodgers, and then I'll do a monologue on the Yankees. And so I switched up the show. I had some other stuff that I was going to talk about Wednesday night, and we didn't get to it, which is fine. I mean I had not put the show to bed, and as I made the decision, you know what we need to do. We need to talk baseball for a couple hours. And so we did, and then we talked to football and all that. But right as the game and I had a couple of text chains going. As I was getting ready for the show, I'm watching the Dodger game. It's called multitasking, compartmentalize. So I got the game on the TV, I got my laptop. People are texting me throughout the game. I got Yankee fans, I got Roberto the bus driver, some other Dodger fans. I've got some people that aren't baseball fans, that are just trolls.
Speaker 1: Hey, the Dodgers are down five nothing, are you getting worried?
Speaker 3: You know that kind of stuff. And then the tide turned. That's right, the tide turned. So how did it turn How did the whole thing turn? Side was well, if you forgot a big thanks to Freddie Freeman for the RBI hit, but Aaron Judge and the New York Yankees who fundamentally exploded and it was marvelous, the sizzle, the swagger, all those home runs early for the Yankees, and it.
Speaker 1: All went away. It all went away.
Speaker 3: And so, as I mentioned, after the game ended, I had to hop in the Malamobile because I knew things were going to get crazy in Southern California. I had a very long drive from the North Woods to the Mothership in Sherman Oaks. So I'm I'm driving and as I drove, I saw a spectacle that you see on the fourth of July. On each side of the highway. It was a rockets red clear We're talking Disney style fireworks. It reminded me of the COVID year, very similar when the Dodgers won in twenty twenty and everyone was under house arrest and people were going out and shooting.
Speaker 1: Off Disneyland fireworks.
Speaker 3: Now, one of the things if you're not in Southern California, based on the podcast numbers, a lot of you are not. We're obviously not that far away from Mexico and in Tijuana, just across the border from San Diego. They must make so much money selling these fireworks. It's got to be insane how much money they make. Because everyone all over southern California was shooting these things off, and I got a little video I try to record, which is you shouldn't do, you shouldn't do. I tried to record it on my phone. I got a little clip of it, but it didn't really do it justice how many people were shooting the fireworks off. They were everywhere. And then my phone starts blowing up and it's people celebrating the Dodgers, whining, people congratulating like I played a role in it, which was kind of cool. And then I started getting requests to do interviews, and I'm trying to get ready for the show, and I got two monologues. I still got to do put notes down. But my guy Darcy messages me, the Great Darcy walder Grave, New Zealand radio legend. He said, hey, mate, the Dodgers have won. I would like to have you on my show. I can't turn down Darcy. Darcy is my guy. I've known Darcy for years and he used to put me on every week and it was great and wonderful. So Darcy called me up. I said, all right, I'm in, and a couple of other people called and they wanted me to go on.
Speaker 1: I even went on.
Speaker 3: A podcast hosted by Ryan Burschinger Keep Trying, Ryan Bow the Show and Monsei. They have a baseball podcast like a Dodger podcast, And I was on with that. But I still had to get ready for my show, and so I went to the very back, very back of the old Fox Sports Radio studio.
Speaker 1: I sat there, lights down.
Speaker 3: I was just contemplating everything I wanted to throw out and things I wanted to say, and I was looking for more things that I thought were interesting that I could talk about. Put the bullet points down a lot of moving parts, but that view majestic driving down the highway, You're going sixty five seventy five mile an hour and on both sides as wild. And then as we did the show overnight, we were documenting all of the debauchery and there was a lot that bus that they burned up the lunatics. There were several stores that were looted, and it was it was terrible.
Speaker 1: Is what it was lawlessness.
Speaker 3: The animals were out running around running my I I think there were really Dodger fans. I mean, there's people looking for a reason to steal shoes or jewelry or whatever.
Speaker 1: They were stealing.
Speaker 3: But it's a shame because most of the people were just in a celebratory mood, want to have a good time, and then these knuckleheads go in there and they ruin everything and make everyone look bad. But that's the story of you know, the story of the world. I mean, it's just a preview of coming attractions. I hope I'm wrong, but the election is a few days away, and something tells me that there'll be more of that coming up next week. Now at the tone the time will be. If you're of a certain age, you know exactly what that is. That was a big deal. Before everyone had a watch on their phone. It was important. You needn't know the time. So I bring this up because we have new information out the malor meet and greet Canza City style. That's a week from Saturday. If you have not heard yet, we are going to Kansas City. I am traveling there now. I'm not going with Eddie. He's not going Coop's not going, Lorraine is not going. Just me.
Speaker 1: It's only me.
Speaker 3: Danny's not going to be there, It's only me. A week from Saturday, November ninth. Where is it the Landing? Now? The Landing is in the Kansas City here. It's in Liberty, Missouri, which is kind of near where the Chiefs play, kind of near where the Royals play. It's the Landing that is the home of the world famous Ben Mallard chicken fingers. I am going back to the Mecca. Now. Last time I was in Kansas City, the good people that own the Landing, there was a it was a different restaurant. It was the I think it's called the Brooksider if I remember correctly. But now it's the Landing. It's been the Landing for many men years and I'm very excited about that. I'm gonna go to Arrowhead Stadium for the first time. I've never been to Arrowhead. If you have any advice, if you're a listener in that area and you want to give me advice on what I need to know, where I need to go must do's in Kansas City. I already know there's the Ben Maller chicken Fingers which I'm dying to eat. And the greatest barbecue sandwich I've ever had was in Kansas City. It was at a place called Oklahoma Joe's, which has since changed their name to Kansas City Joe's. So at some point I'm going to hit Kansas City Joe's. I'm gonna do a lot of eating, a lot of eating, but at the tone the time will be. We now have the time. The time has been set. Myself and the Great Bob Fesco and his listeners from ninety six point five the fan will be there as well. It's a meet and greet get together myself, you guys in the mall militia, and then Bob and his many loyal listeners to his morning show. And I'm not sure if Dusty's going to be there, his sidekick on the morning show. But we will be at the landing from two pm till four pm at least, probably later than that, probably later than that, but at least for those two hours, and we'll see who shows up, and we'll have fun, we'll tell stories and just have a good old time, just have a great old time. And then the next day I'm going to Arrowhead for what's really a pretty big game, the Chiefs and the Broncos in the a f C West Hum nigger, Hum, nigger of the matchup. I'm excited at now several of you of RSVPED. I am reluctant to say any names. I know JT. The Wingman's been to the last three of these things, so I'm pretty sure he's going to show up. But we've had listeners from as far away as Iowa. There was a gentleman from Minnesota who's considering driving down a listener in Texas. How many of these people actually do it or not? As I say, with all of the malor meat and greets, and this was not planned, this is a last minute thing. I'm very excited to do it. I love Kansas City. You guys have been great, You've supported the show over the years, and I.
Speaker 1: Mean, they have chicken figures named after me. How can I go to Kansas City?
Speaker 3: However, in terms of who's showing up and who's not, you never know because people say they're going to be there and then life gets in the way and you can't make it. And so I hope you'll be able to attend everyone that's RSVPED. We'll have a great turnout, just a wonderful turnout if everyone shows up.
Speaker 1: But a lot of people have been tentative. They're like, I'm planning.
Speaker 3: On going, but my kid's got a soccer game, or my daughters in cheerleading and she's got this that or the other thing or banned or whatever.
Speaker 1: I understand.
Speaker 3: I totally get it. We're there if you can make it. I'd love to see you. Some of you I saw before. I hopefully Jeopardy Owl will be there. I don't know if you'll be.
Speaker 1: There or not. I'm not sure about that.
Speaker 3: But again, I'll be joined by my radio homeboy, Bob Fesco from ninety six point five to the fantasies of the morning show. There and that is the FM Blowtorch, the home of the Royals and the Chiefs. So it's gonna be a lot, a lot of fun time. Now for the phrase of the week. As you know, this is a big time podcast unless it's not. But I love words. I try to use different words. I'm not really book educated, meaning I wasn't a great student and had some issues with getting up in the morning to go to school. But I've continued to learn as i've gone further through life, and I try to learn something new every day.
Speaker 1: I love words though right, and I try to think that I'm not just whistling in the dark.
Speaker 3: That changing up my lexicon and adding new verbiage kind of fun. I enjoy it. And so you guys, you know who you are, have been wonderful. You've helped me out. For example, Marcus who is insane, Antonio rights and he says, dear Ben and Danny g. Growing up as a kid can be tough tough enough, but when you are a military brat and have a stepdad who is a hardcore army guy, it can be even harder. Over and over again over the years, I heard the phrase don't do a half assed job, do it right the first time. No matter what the chore was, it was never right the first time because I always apparently did it half asked. I've always wondered where that phrase came from. Can you please enlighten us? Thank you for not just being an entertain show, but an educational one as well. The Real Fifth Hour podcast deserves a Marconi Award for.
Speaker 1: That, if nothing else. I don't think they give the Marconi to podcasts.
Speaker 3: There's like podcast awards, but the only podcasts that ever seem to win those are like Joe Rogan, Travis Kelcey. Like the biggest named people win podcast awards. Even at our company, iHeart like the top money makers in terms of the people they pay the most money to. They're the ones that end up winning all the podcast awards. But I would love to win some dopey award. I feel like the chicken figures named after me is big enough. But thanks to Marcus. This is from Marcus in San Antonio. So Marcus, thank you, thank you, thank you. Now Marcus, to get to the meat of the matter, Marcus, the phrase again, don't do a half assed job, do it right the first time. So the half assed part refers to having your pants obviously not done up all the way blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: You're showing half your ass.
Speaker 3: If you are in that state, you are likely to be unprepared for the day's of work or whatever, and incompetent and all that. So here's what I found. The phrase, depending on which part of the dark web you look at, goes all the way back. The earliest instance of half asked being used was in a book by Thomas O'Brien and Oliver Dierfendorf General Orders of the US War Department, embracing the years eighteen sixty one, eighteen sixty two, and eighteen sixty three. So it does sound Marcus, you said your stepdad was in the military and you were a military brat. So and I know what that's like. By the way, not that I was in the military, but I grew up. When I was growing up, I was surrounded by two military bases, and I went to elementary school and junior high and high school with a lot of kids that were in the military, and they had lived all over like they you know, Germany and in Asia, Texas, South Carolina, And as a kid, it was like, wow, dude, you move every couple of years.
Speaker 1: That's wild. It was crazy.
Speaker 3: Anyway, back to the point here, the phrase don't do a half assed job, do it right the first time it does appear to come from US military slang all the way back to the eighteen sixties, although there was one one place I looked that said this actually goes back further than that that it goes it predates the US military. Now, most seemed to think that it was a mispro denunciation of half hazard, half ass, half hazard, whatnot. But it goes back to the early eighteen sixties. So you think about what was going on, what combat was going on, what America was like.
Speaker 1: In the eighteen sixties, and you can.
Speaker 3: Let your mind wander and I did look up. I fell down this rabbit hole of.
Speaker 1: Military slang. And there's a lot.
Speaker 3: Of people that love this podcast. You know who you are, in military whatever. There are so many phrases that started from the Army, Marines, the Air Force, the Navy and have become part of the lexicon. It's pretty remarkable when you think about, you know, stuff just in the military, and then it spreads out and it just becomes mainstream for people that have no affiliation at all with the military. So again the phrase of the week, don't do a half fast job, do it right the first time.
Speaker 1: The earliest reference there was one report said the.
Speaker 3: Seventeen notits but in modern context it is from a book by Thomas O'Brien and Oliver Diefendorf, General Orders of the US War Department, embracing the years eighteen sixty one, eighteen sixty two, and eighteen sixty three.
Speaker 1: Time now for some foody fun booty fun.
Speaker 3: Hooray for food. We all got to eat. So a couple stories here, and this one does relate to the World Series. Now, the Dodgers parade is later today. Maybe it's already happened by the time you hear this podcast, but it is today and or was today, And if you watch the World Series, you likely noticed that there were people that stole bases, but there was no promotion to get a taka. And that's because Taco Bell Steal a base, steal a taco. Not so fast, my friend, Yeah no, where's the beef. Taco Bell no longer an official sponsor of Major League Baseball, and as a result, the steel a base Steal a Taco promotion did not take place during the World Series. According to The Business Journal, the Sports Business Journal, which I always get my news from, they reported that Taco Bell was not on the sponsor roster and that partnership had lasted for twenty years, going back to the year twenty four They first started that steel a base Steal a Taco gimmick in twenty fourteen. So no more that I remember that there were years of his a big deal. Who is going to be the guy to steal the base and get everyone a taco and all that, but no more so they didn't have that during the World Series.
Speaker 1: You didn't miss it.
Speaker 3: Also, TGI Fridays now TGI Friday's at one point was a big deal, but not anymore. It's nearing bankruptcy now, so we'll see if it survives or completely goes away. Chipotle says, this is great. So remember this. We talked about this on Footy fund. This goes back maybe six or seven months, maybe longer. So there was this thing where food influencers basically you and I, but you hold the phone and record the people at Chipotle while they record while they're making their food, your food, the burritos or whatever.
Speaker 1: The bulls.
Speaker 3: So they they realized, the people realized who were doing this, that if you record the people at Chipotle, they'll give you more food. They'll give you a little more meat, a little more cheese, a little more lettuce, whatever you want, beans, and so the CEO of the company, I think it was in the CEO if I remember the story correctly, as I understand it, the person running Chipotle is like, listen, we are going to make sure everyone gets consistent and generous portions of our delicious food made a big deal about it. Everyone said, all right, this is great. Well, now the other shoe is dropped. No good deed goes unpunished. The people at Chipotle are now saying that ensuring consistent and generous portion sizes has taken a financial toll on profitability. On profitability, who knew? So actually giving the right amount of food, an honest amount of food, And now you're you're not You're.
Speaker 1: Not doing that well, So what's that about?
Speaker 3: Seven eleven In food he News seven eleven ramping up the fast casual strategy six hundred new food focused stores.
Speaker 1: We talked about this, I think it was last week.
Speaker 3: The guys and gals that go into seven eleven and they're like, hey, I want a hot dog, I want the nachos, Like I get going in there and getting a big gulp and a min a soda or a slurpee or whatever. But to eat there, to me, that's next level. Like I always thought the people that buy food at seven eleven, they're like, last minute, I'm hungry, but I can't wait to go somewhere else. I'the's gonna grab something here, But seven eleven is like, well, no, there's people that come in there and they just want to eat our food and they.
Speaker 1: Go there for the food. Okay, way to go, I guess.
Speaker 3: So we'll see if that works out for the fine folks at seven eleven Arby's. I know Danny if he was here, he sing the praises of Arby's. He loves Arby's unless he does not. Well, Arby's has welcome back deep Fried Turkey Gobbler and the Deep Fried Turkey Club Limited time. We've got the meats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, suppose you do. Suppose you have the meats.
Speaker 3: There you go. I think we'll get out on that. It is Friday. I got new podcast. Danny'll be with me on on Saturday and Sunday. And remember watch the TV show Benny Versus the Penny. And if you have people in your family, you got kids, grandkids, nieces, nephews, step children, whoever you might have, whoever's in your circle, please help us out.
Speaker 1: It would mean the world to me if you can have them.
Speaker 3: If they have peacock, watch the show or just watch it on regular TV. But with that said, have a wonderful rest of your Friday. I will likely pop on at some point this weekend. On Facebook or on x We'll do. We'll ask Ben at some point, but until then, I'll be back tomorrow with a new podcast in Sunday. And as Danny would say, later skater I think that's what he would say, later skater got a murder.
Speaker 1: I gotta go.