Speaker 1: Welcome to off the cop with me, se cop. Some of you may, I'm realizing they only know me as a never Trumper, a former Republican turned independent, and that's great. I'm happy to fit in that box for you. But it's not a role I ever endeavored to play. It's not the role I imagined I would I would play. And I want to talk to you about that evolution a little bit because I think it's important and I know I'm not the only one who made it, so maybe it'll help you understand me a little bit better, but also give you some context as to why I work so hard every day to expose just how awful and existentially alarming I think Trump and Republicans are and where that's coming from. I think that's important because for me, this whole thing that I'm doing, this isn't a grift, this isn't a hustle. I've turned down jobs and more money than I've ever made in order to stay true to what I believe, and leaving my party actually cost me a lot. It costs me dollars and jobs and opportunities. It's put my life at risk, but importantly, it also cost me friends and colleagues and relationships. Certainly not with everyone I once communed with, but with plenty of people who you know, suddenly started doing and saying things that I just couldn't jibe with at all, and vice versa for them and me. I'm sure, because when you know someone through politics and then you no longer value the same things, and the things you do value become radically different, and you start using your platforms to do radically different projects, and you believe that one of those projects is actually hurting people. Well, yeah, it's hard to be friends. It's really hard to be friends. But all of that's okay. I'm good where I'm at. I'm here because I care about the country. It's just never where I expected to be. A party apostate and someone who now calling balls and strikes and no longer on a team, and a person whose values just don't seem to be like represented anywhere today in politics. Just politically homeless. And maybe you feel that way too, because I know more and more people are because the two parties have become both so extreme, but also they've become really bad at solving our problems and listening to us and doing the things they were meant to do, but it didn't always feel this way. I became a conservative somewhere early on in college. I went to a debate freshman year for something to do in between, you know, smoking clothes cigarettes and drinking coffee and reading Nietzsche and trying to feel smart. I decided, let me go to a debate. That'll that's that's something affected college students do, right. So I went to a debate, and to my chagrin, found myself agreeing with the conservative debater more than the liberal debater. And I was shocked and appalled and ashamed because I grew up in Boston, where Democrats were good people and Republicans were bad people. That's what I saw on every movie, That's what I saw on every TV show, you know, in the eighties. So when I discovered that I really actually gravitated to the right on like a bunch of issues, mainly fiscal and defense, I was like embarrassed. And I made the very uncomfortable call home to say, Mom, Dad, I have to tell you something. I think I'm a Republican. They said, so are we, and it was like we had just met. I didn't know this about them. We didn't talk about politics. Growing up. We weren't radical, We didn't hate Democrats. All I knew were Democrats. So it was this revelation that I came to very honestly and not at all sort of indoctrinated. I was just really inspired by the idea of limited government. Who, after all, is inspired by government. I never understood that's what's inspiring about government. Who wants more government in their lives?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: I believe government's good for things. Government is necessary for things, but it's not what I aspire to more government. I was also inspired by the idea of rugged individualism. I was really drawn to economic conservatism. Starve the beast, lower taxes, lowering the debt and the deficit, fiscal responsibility. This was sexy to me at eighteen, guys, that's how big of a nerd I was. But this was sexy. You know what wasn't sexy all the college kids protesting, you know, the normal liberal stuff. What I wanted to do a March for fiscal responsibility. How about March for austerity? No one was doing that, So that was the genesis. Then I moved to New York City in nine to eleven, happens the very next year, and I had always been very patriotic, but that made me certainly more hawkish, to be honest. But also I really disliked identity politics. That was a thing that the left had really beigun leaning into and kind of decided it was the main event over a few decades. And I just thought that was super deleterious, divisive, counterproductive, and I thought it would read a lot of resentment and division, and guess what it did. So I rejected that and I found empowerment in conservatism and at the time the Republican Party. I loved our conservative intellectuals like George will and Croudhammer and Joanah Goldberg, all of whom I luckily got to know and work with eventually in some capacity. These were smart people. These were normal people, maybe nerdier than your normal folk, but like smart, normal rational These weren't mouth breathing wackos and conspiracy theorists. They made a lot of sense and politically I was inspired by people like John McCain and Paul Ryan. These were also just good men, principled men. The thing I think I liked the most though, and this is the point, was the Conservatism was a movement of ideas and that was a relatively new thing. Conservatism had spends from decades in the wilderness in the earlier part of the twentieth century, and then the conservative movement got some life breathed into it when Barry Goldwater came along with Conscience of a Conservative. Liberalism had reigned supreme for decades, but it had kind of stopped working as well as it had promised to. Intellectually, liberalism was king, but practically it had kind of stopped doing the thing it was meant to do. And America was ripe for new ideas, and conservatives decided to bring those new ideas, and a lot of voters liked those new ideas, believe it or not. Here's a clip of Ronald Reagan describing this time time at a Seapac speech in nineteen eighty five. Now the clip is a little over two minutes, but don't where I'm coming back to.
Speaker 2: Listen, This great turn from left to right was not just a case of the pendulum swinging. First the left holes sway, and then the right, and here comes the left again. The truth is conservative thought is no longer over here on the right. It's the mainstream now, and the tide of history is moving irresistibly in our direction. Why because the other side is virtually bankrupt of ideas it has it has nothing more to say, nothing to add to the debate. It has spent its intellectual capital such as it was, and it has done its deeds. Now. We're not in power now because they failed to gain electoral support over the past fifty years. They did win support, and the result was chaos, weakness, and drift. Ultimately, though their failures yielded one great thing. Us guys, we in this room, are not simply profiting them from their bankruptcy. We are where we are because we're winning the contest of ideas. In fact, in the past decade, all of a sudden, quietly, mysteriously, the Republican Party has become the party of ideas. We became the party of the most brilliant and dynamic young minds. I remember them just a few years ago, running around scrawling laugher curves on table napkins, going to symposia and talking about how social programs did not eradicate poverty but entrenched it. Writing studies on why the latest weird, unnatural idea from the social engineers is weird and unnatural.
Speaker 3: You were there.
Speaker 2: They were your ideas, your symposia, your books, and usually somebody else's table napkins. As all of a sudden, Republicans were not defenders of the status quo, but creators of the future.
Speaker 1: So, look, you can disagree with Reagan's diagnosis of the left, but this was inarguably a time when the Republican Party believed in things the right believed in policies and principles, I mean dogmatically rigidly to a point. Conservatives genuinely believed in democracy in America, and not the s new version that requires its citizens to hate each other to perform patriotism. And they really believed in a contest of ideas. And this concept of competing for the soul of the nation with intellectually rigorous ideas and admittedly populist rhetoric became foundational to American politics, and in particular movement conservatism later on in that century. It was foundational in the kind of conservative thought that I came up in. And so in twenty twelve, when we lost the presidency again got trounced in Congress, we had to do an autopsy. Why we needed new ideas. The party knew it. We didn't have to slice open democratic institutions and cut them down and destroy. We just needed new ideas. So I worked on that autopsy to find new ideas that would matter to new kinds of voters, women, minorities, millennials, LGBTQ. That's what I did. I found the ideas that would appeal to these voting blocks that we were missing. Those ideas were on regulation, the tax code, entrepreneurialism, all kinds of things. But in twenty fifteen, as you know, everything changed. Donald Trump came along. He didn't care about ideas, he didn't care about policies or principles. He didn't really even care about the GOP or what it was meant to stand for. All he saw was power and dollar signs. And I blame him a little less at the time than I blame the party leaders who should have stood up to him more. Instead, the GOP rolled out the red carpet, abandoned everything it once cared about, said that those foundational things like lowering the debt and deficit, anti protectionism, family values, etc. They just didn't matter anymore because they didn't matter to Trump. So conservative ideas just didn't have any utility anymore. He wasn't interested in persuading. He was interested in dictating. He wasn't interested in selling the country on a vision. He was interested in conning the country. He wasn't interested in competing for your vote. He was interested in competing for your attention. And look, he was hugely successful at this, as we know, but it came at a significant cost, obviously to the country, but also to the whole premise that politics is a marketplace of ideas, competing for your vote. Now it's the second term, and it couldn't be more clear that he doesn't care how the Republican Party does in the midterms. The economies in the toilet thanks to his dumb tariffs and his dumb war, and he's telling Americans he doesn't think about their finances, and can he have a billion dollars for a ballroom and another two billion for a slush fund for his friends. He doesn't give a shit that none of this is good for his own party or keeping the majority. He doesn't give a shit. Now, Republicans, Republicans know this Republican leadership. Mike Johnson in the House, John Thune in the Senate, they know he doesn't care. They know that They stopped selling ideas ten years ago when he first got elected throughout of ideas. Ideas don't work because Trump will contradict them. So what are they left with. The news is bad, the polls are bad, the president doesn't care, and they can't go out and sell ideas, So what can they do. All they can do now is rig it. All they can do is redraw the maps. All they can do is make it harder for black voters to vote, and Hispanic voters to vote, marginalized communities to vote, and they can try to bribe voters. That's what this Trumps slush fund is. It's an attempt to buy off MAGA voters who are disappointed that his economy sucks and that he didn't release the Epstein files and that he got us in a war with Iran after promising not to. It's a bribe, and what else do they have. They can try to silence the media and the critics. That's what all of Trump's lawsuits against the press are. That's why he's trying to orchestrate these Trump friendly mergers. That's why he's trying to get reporters fired from news outlets like Fox and CNN and CBS because he can't sell his bullshit if a free and fair press is constantly calling him out for lying and grifting and corruption. He needs a friendly press. He needs propaganda. So all of these are signs that the right has waived the white flag of surrender in the contest of ideas. Forget whether the ideas are good or bad. They're not even bringing them to the table. They're not competing for your vote at all. Instead, they're trying to draw you out of maps. They're trying to buy your vote. They're trying to silence you. That's all they've got. Trump, the consummate salesman, isn't even bothering to sell voters on his economy or his war anymore. He's just lying about them both and hoping loyalty to him will be enough. But just in case it isn't, Republicans are doing every craven thing they can to tip the scales and go around the voters to watch how far the Party of Reagan has fallen my former party. And I'm not just sad because my ideas aren't being platformed by a party I once love. I'm sad because no ideas are being platformed the party that once counted among its intellectuals in Rand and Hyak and Buckley, has no use for intellectualism anymore because the party's leader can't string a coherent sentence together. Because he villainizes experts because they won't lie for him. He believes his own voters are too stupid to know he's fleecing them. They have no use for ideas because Trump hasn't actually created anything ever. He just takes and puts his name on things. They have no use for competition because they know the Magabase is a cult that will agree with anything Trump does or says, even when it contradicts the last thing he did or said. Why bother compete? And I hate to say it, they benefit from the other party being factless and out of touch. I promise Trump isn't some Svengali or supernatural force. If the Democrats were better and stronger, Trump wouldn't be president today. Here we are with a party that's given up idea on ideas and competition, and another party that doesn't know how to show up. It's not a great place to be. But the good news is we have time. It's just over one hundred and sixty five days until the midterms. We have just under six months to show up, and that doesn't just mean protesting Trump. It means showing up for Americans with an agenda of our own, instead of just letting Trump create our future. Let's describe our vision of America, and for me, that's an America in which hating a whole half of it isn't a requirement. You don't have to hate anyone to live in my America, and politicians who try to get you to hate other Americans are not reward for it. It's an America that isn't embarrassed of empathy or compassion. It's in America that doesn't villainize success or wealth, but that wants everyone to be prosperous instead of just a little less poor. It's an America where public servants are meant to affect change and solve problems, not get rich and famous. It's an America where our kids feel safe, where we can buy a home, where college grads can get jobs, where people don't have to work for jobs or until they're eighty. It's an America where communities are safe from gun violence and crime, where laws and borders are enforced, but where no law abiding citizen has to cower and fear of lawless goon squads or live in militarized zones. It's an America where you can count on free elections, free press, free speech, freedom of assembly, no matter what you look like or what you believe in, and a government that won't attack those institutions for its own personal gain or self survival. I don't think these things are complicated or unattainable. I just think we've forgotten the basics common decency, a functioning government, democratic ideals, a United States. And we have to let the Republicans know they can give up on us all they want. They can give up on ideas and competition, but they can't redraw us. They can't buy us, and they can't silence us. And that's up to you and me. Okay, after the break, my good pal John Avlon is here to discuss the week that was see that. Welcome back to Off the Cup. I'm joined now by my good friend and world famous, world renowned pepke mache artist John Avlon. Welcome John.
Speaker 3: I love that. I love that. You know what I love really is that I never pronounced it the French way, And.
Speaker 1: Well I'm a loser and a nerd and a Francophile, so I must.
Speaker 3: Pig for an Angler file. But there you go.
Speaker 1: No, I'm a I'm a Francophile.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: John Avlon is a journalist and historian. He's author of Washington's Farewell and Lincoln in the Fight for Peace. I know you're working on another book, but we're so happy to have you in between your Pepia mesche.
Speaker 3: I love it, I know, and we're going to create new personas every time I come on, just to keep.
Speaker 1: What we're doing here.
Speaker 3: Always fun to talk with you. That was a great monologue. And I'm not just saying that because I really agree with it, but it was. It was really you had a great arc. You had history, you had a Reagan clip I've never heard.
Speaker 1: Before, all the things you love I don't, and.
Speaker 3: You landed the plane with with regard to our challenges.
Speaker 1: Today, well, I wanted to have you on specifically because for this conversation, because you and I politically grew up together. The time I was describing was the time you were you were both present for, not only because you were also in politics at the time, but we like we were there together, and you know you you were I was.
Speaker 3: Never, never, And I was never a Republican. But I'm married, that's right. But but you were, and I worked for one.
Speaker 1: But you communed absolutely with us at times, and we were often efforting at the same project.
Speaker 3: Absolutely No, But I've been at committed centrist from the beginning, the lonely consistent radical centrist.
Speaker 1: But yes, yes, And then you know, you married a conservative, and you got some conservative friends, and you know.
Speaker 3: Sure I had them before we would do My best friends are libertarians.
Speaker 1: Yes, we'd have these late night discussions and it was a heady, fun time and no one knows and appreciates more than you do the I think the rigorous intellectual history of our politics, and for my purposes the purposes of this discussion, the intellectual history of the conservative movement. And you don't have to agreed with all of it to acknowledge it was a foundational part of the movement and the movements success. And I'm wondering where you think that's all gone? It was it just Trump? Was it the Tea Party?
Speaker 3: Was it? Right?
Speaker 1: So take take me through John Avalon's a train of thought on where intellectualism went.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So, so I'm gonna have a slight alternate history, but it's it's not without admiring certain elements. I mean, I try to see the three sixty. It is true that conservatism got a jolt in reaction to the rise of the New Deal and echoes of those policies that seemed stalitarian, not by world standards but by historic American standards. It's true that the movement got another jolt. Uh and and and I say this with some hesitation, because one of the things I share with you is a deep dislike of identity politics. And I think one of the democrats real problems is a reflexive impulse to call people they disagree with racist. But it is also historically undeniable that Conservatism got another jolt in the wake of reactions to Brown versus Board of Education, which is where you saw the demonization of Republicans like Earl Warren, who who was the chief Supremeport chief just the time, who'd been a centrist Republican, which is a great tradition and one you know, if you look at the history of early Republican Party, it's a moderate progressive party founder by Lincoln tr tradition, what Hoover once called a independent. He was an independent progressive in the Republican tradition, which sounds like a contradiction until you think about it, and then and then, and then, of course the political map flips abruptly. In nineteen sixty four, Barry Goldwater puts forward a lot of ideas which were inspiring to people from a libertarian stance, but in the context of the time, it's the he is opposing the Civil Rights Act, in the Voting Rights.
Speaker 1: Act and guess ury and voting guess what.
Speaker 3: The South goes from voting solid Democrat, which had been the conservative populist party at the time States Rights Party, to flipping of the Republican Party on a dime after one hundred years. That's not coincident. It's not incidental. It's fundamental right. And so for me, you know, the conservative populace, I'm big on finding common ground. But if you got to pick a Chus side in the overall intellectual debate, I'm not going to be with the conservative populists or folks who believe on some level that society is held together by belief that might makes right. I'm going to go with Lincoln consistently that we need to forge a society where right, makes might, and we need to find a way to find common ground. But so even in our lifetime and careers, I worked for Rudy Giuliani during nine to eleven. I deeply believed I was sort of a DLC Democratic Clinton kid. I know that's an athematic of you, but to me, that movement made a lot of sense in building a third way, the Clinton Blair tradition, and Rudy was an extension of that in the context of you know, New York. He was fiscally conservative, he was tough on crime, things that I identify with, but he was also pro choice, pro gay rights, pro healthcare, poe immigrant ye. And then came nine eleven, which was fundamental to me too. I was his chief speech right at the time, and you know, was there when the towers fell and wrote the Old Juice of the firefighters and police officers with members of my team. But then something happened, and it became pretty quick. I mean, you know, the Bush administration w squandered that moment of national unity and international sympathy and also squandered the hard one deficit that occurred, deficit to zero. For physical conservatives, they they should consider Bill Clinton the best they ever had, right, And yes, it happened with the Republican Congress, but we were at zero and then a bunch of folks in the Republican Party said we're going to give that back in terms of tax cuts, and Dick Cheney tells the Treasury Secretary John Snow, the deficits don't matter politically, and so you've got massive deficit spending and an over extension in the world with Iraq as opposed to Afghanistan, and then.
Speaker 1: Bailing out banks. I mean, that was the thing that really which, by the way, I did a Tea Party movement.
Speaker 3: It didn't It didn't right if you said, one of the books behind me is wing Nuts, which I wrote in twenty ten based in my reporting in two thousand and nine. You know, you were very involved in the Tea Party movement. That's when we first met, and I was you know, it was a fractured coalition and there were parts. You know, I'm a fiscal responsibility guy, which is my way into fiscal discipline or fiscal conservatism. I think that you need to deal with revenue as part of the equation. And that's why I never bought the Grover Norquist you know, it was government straw sol enough to strangle on a bathtub. That seemed unwise to me on several levels. But you know, if you go back and look at the reporting, then what was really weird, And there were surveys that showed this is it wasn't. Yes, it was taxed enough already, and it was a great avatar and it was a little astro turf. But it was also definitely a reaction to the election of Barack Obama, which you could see, you know, in my book, like they unintentionally, I believe, unintentionally for the most part, resuscitated slogans from white citizen councils about massive resistance to Barack Obama's election, which was not close, but was considered an imposition. Right. You had Rush Limba and other folks talking about, you know, they want us to bend over, you know, you know, you know, all this sort of you know, imposition rhetoric. But then also it was a constant thing I saw of interviewing people. I'd see them with an Obama Hitler poster and I'd say what are you doing And they'd say one of two things. One they'd say, well, they compared Bush to Hitler and so I figured it's fair game, which to me is this is the sin of how extremes empower each other. The second thing they talk about, and my mother's from Youngstown, Ohio, but an immigrant family, so this is relevant to the story is they'd say, my family's been here for seven generations and there was a nativist, anti immigrant element.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And when I wrote even my first book, Independent Nation, which is the history of centrist leaders, in two thousand and four, one of the reasons that even though I I worked for Rudy and met my wife working for Rudy, who is a Republican, I looked at centrist Republicans always got used by the party to win where they couldn't win otherwise and then immediately discarded. And I felt that beneath conservative populism, which was the energy, was an authoritarian streak, an authoritarian impulse, a belief that might makes right. And all these liberal niceties keep getting us the way of acknowledging that where the real power is and should be. And I will talk all day along about the way that the extremes empower each other, and the far left has not confronted why in the world it is so damaging The Democratic brand, and the Democrats don't want to deal with the fact that their brand is less popular than Donald Trump's at a time that Donald Trump's actively a threat to the republic and doing incompetent governance, chaos, all the things actually Reagan called out, So I can you know that's important. What interests me, like what interests you, is is how do we reunite the nation? How do we get to our three hundred birthday? Knowing that that is imperable. And the corrupting influence of the partisan economy and causing so many people to abandon their principles because they profit personally and politically, Yes, offends me so much. And you have walked that walk and talked that talk. And that's one of the reasons we are friends. It's not about political or one percent agreement. That's a cult. Yeah, It's actually about consistency of principles, which is what I deeply appreciate.
Speaker 1: Well, consistency and you know, intellectual honesty and consistency.
Speaker 3: Long walk there, but I just want to say I appreciate you. See.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, and it's such a lost art, the lost art of intellectual honesty and consistency inside politics. But also punditry is like, like I can count on one hand people that care about things like hypocrisy and consistency, and it's that's that's very upset.
Speaker 3: He knew though, right, I mean, it.
Speaker 1: Feels more than what we're talking about.
Speaker 3: Right, because the whole point of and look, I left seeing Underrun for Congress because I was tired of just talking about things. As much as I like talking about things and love books, but to me it was like that's not enough, especially in a time of crisis, for better forms. But the whole point to do this, and I love the column form and your great columnist, and I write column still, and I wrote an anthology of calumnists with two dear friends of mine, was to have intellectual integrity. That was the whole point. If you had no intellectual integrity and consistency, even if your principles your politics evolved over time, that was interesting, But there was a flow through the idea that that that principles were for suckers and hypocrisy was unmentioned because that's how you were getting paid.
Speaker 1: Is loathesome completely. I could and I can't do it. I've I can't good even try to do it. I don't know how people do it, but I am not built to.
Speaker 3: Do that because you have an arm and soul and your action.
Speaker 1: No, right after John McCain died, I wrote a piece for Vanity Fair called the Conservative Coma, in which I sort of described the Conservative movement as if it was like on life support. It was dormant but not dead. That was twenty eighteen, and I think I still had hope then that the Conservative movement I knew could be resurrected. I'm not so sure now where are you?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: I not in hoping for it, but do you think it's possible then? The Conservative movement I remember that you remember, could come back in some way.
Speaker 3: No, I'm much more interested in the forward looking project of how we form new coalitions. But but you know my wife, Margaret, who is the firing line, who you know, of course know well and some of your audience might you know to me the you know, she's always joked about how you know I'm going to be like the Bernie Sanders, you know where I've been saying the same thing for thirty years and I'm finally improved, you know, vindicated, you know when I'm you know, waving fists and you.
Speaker 1: Know, off my mind, but yeah, yeah, with.
Speaker 3: A crackling voice and you know, geriatric demeanor. I've always believed we need to form a new coalition. The center right and the center left needs to unite. There's more than unites the center right and the center left than the extremes of their own parties. That are the moderate majority in America has had its power diluted because of the polarization, the artificial polarization of the two parties, and that we need fundamental reforms to save the American experiment. So I would, and this doesn't need to sound pollyannish. This is practical if you look at the problems we're facing. So I don't you know, are there conservative ideas and thinkers that I admire? Sure? Have I ever been about that project wholesale as a part of my identity. No, But we need to find new coalitions to get through this moment and to engage in the larger project of reuniting the nation.
Speaker 1: Do you think that my conservatism, my version of it, you're blend with your version in a way that could form a coalition.
Speaker 3: Yes, But again I'm not a conservative. I'm a centrist, a radical.
Speaker 1: Sense that that's why I'm saying it.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, one hundred percent, that's why.
Speaker 1: I'm saying because you don't agree with me on everything. But no, you think you know my version of conservatism and what I believe in.
Speaker 3: I do. But even even in the heyday of your conservatism, I think if people, I mean, one of the things I appreciate about your view is you are not a person of faith, but you know a great deal about faith, right, you know, that's super interesting and important. Uh And and I think they're members of the conservative coalition that would would reluctantly overlook that only if you stayed quiet and in your place, right. Yeah, in the same way they're willing to, you know, tolerate degrees of difference as long as they you know, keep in their their their lane.
Speaker 1: I got to be honest, I was, you know, when I was deep inside the Republican Party in the conservative movement, no one cared that I was an atheist. I mean, some people at foxed it, but like you know, the the party didn't care. They thought it was really cool to have this young, sort of edgy atheist out there talking positively about religion. By the way, they didn't care that I was against capital punishment. They didn't care that I was in favor of gay marriage and gay rights, and they didn't care that I was pro life. But all that meant was that I won't go get an abortion. I didn't want to overturn row. They didn't care. What they started caring about was when I wasn't with Trump, right.
Speaker 3: And I think that's about two things. Right. One, what I really appreciate about your version of conservatism is is the hecter dux nature of it, right, which to me is a sign that somebody's thinking. I found a posted a quote from Orwell the other day. I hadn't heard, and I'm a big Orweld fan, but it was basically, you know how heterdox thinking is a mark of intellectual integrity and independence. Right.
Speaker 1: Can I just I'm going to let you continue. I'll agree with you and pat myself on the back for that. But I can also just tell you to me, all of my positions feel very conservative, and I can back that like I can make the conservative case for being in favor of gay rights and getting the government out.
Speaker 3: Of private life.
Speaker 1: I can make the conservative case for everything I just said.
Speaker 3: But continue, Yes you can, but I think it's also a matter of of of what's your role, right, I mean, you know, the Republican Party is delighted to have Charlie Baker and Larry Hogan and his coalition as long as they've got power and are the most popular governors in the US a right in Massachusetts and Maryland. But they you know, not even a prayer running for president because then they nail you to the wall as an apostate, that's right. So and we've seen that pattern recur, and so that's why I don't have a ton of patients for it within that what had been that transaction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but what.
Speaker 3: Really troubles me is that you know, the the in what you the buzz saw you ran into, which ultimately came in sort of a cult, like you know, authoritarian. You're either with us against us, which is against the best elements, right. I Mean the reason you one of the reasons you became a conservative, I think in college is because that was actually rebellious. It was actually independent. It didn't involve sort of outsourcing your opinions and staying quiet where you disagreed, which is treason us to intellectual integrity and and like active citizenship. Uh, and I always thought that the far left on campus is the single greatest recruiter of young conservatives because of their inherent absurdity. And that's totalitarian assumption, right.
Speaker 1: Yes, uhgevative, Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: But but you know what's terrible to me is that, you know, because we are we are not you know, this is uh trying to choose words without double entonos. We contain multitudes, like Walt Whitman says, right, and so the idea that you should outsource your opinions to walk in lockstep with the brand A brand B version of politics is so insane from the gidea.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And then when people get into politics, and I think one of the only reasons I well, I'd like to think this would have happened regardless. But I remained a centrals Democrat independent, you know, not uh was was I didn't work in Washington because then the acculturation forces you, right, you see people come in and maybe they're slightly centered, right, but they had a job opportunity here, and and you got to get put on a jersey that's so un American.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: My opponent not that you know, in the last in the last election, had been like he'd only worked for the government's Republican conservative trumper, but he was the worked to the Nicoloda in New York point. But this one detail that always bothered me, which was when he was running the Board of Elections, which is supposed to oversee elections on Fridays, he made the Republican appointees wear red shirts. It was literally like, put on your jersey, don't forget who got you this job, which is itself so not conservatism, right.
Speaker 1: That's so gross, it's under level.
Speaker 3: But but that is, you know, that's a thing. And that that's, by the way, just a really small local manifestation of the larger problem. And the the Parsian economy is so corrupting, and it's so seductive and and all it asks is that you surrender your integrity and your soul, and you will leap riches, you will climb to the greasy poles. So when I see the Trump appointees all being coached, whatever you don't say, Biden, one's we're going to give you a very cute phrase. And these are people for positions that involve reality or in judicating reality, and they have all agreed that they will just show contempt for reason and facts in order to get ahead. That is such a dangerous deal for a democracy, and that's where we are, and so we're right to fight against it. And we will lose wars, and God knows we have, but we will, we will. We may lose battles, yeah, but I deeply believe that we will win the war at the end of the day. But we got to keep fighting in order to do that.
Speaker 1: Before uh, we turned to our sort of lightning round exit poll. I just want to talk about the left for a second, because they're implicated in this too, and I feel like the right's gotten the right's gotn so bad that the left kind of got paralyzed. It feels like, oh to me, it feels like liberalism is a bit of a coma too. To tell average voters in twenty twenty four that the economy was great, crime was down, there's no migrot crisis, was like, who are you serving with this? And I just saw an ad from Karen Bass in LA that was basically like, LA is great, It's on the right track. We don't need some wacko reality start to come along and mess it up. Forget Spencer, but like LA is on the right track. What are you? What drugs are you on? And why why are they fighting so hard for the status quo?
Speaker 3: That's I don't like.
Speaker 1: That is not inspiring to anyone to fight for the status quo. And I'm not mad at Spencer. I'm mad at Democrats for not fielding a Spencer. Anyone could have diagnosed the problems in LA and Democrats fielded the current sitting Meger and the current city council member instead of someone like Spencer who would identify all the problems and say I'm going to actually fix this stuff. Don't put out at Spencer, be mad you didn't field a Democratic Spencer.
Speaker 3: So that's worth totally unpacking. And of course you're right. First of all, this is one of my deepest beliefs, particularly right now, particularly in blue states or blue cities. The center left cannot be needs to be a force for reform, for taking the best ideas, confronting the problems directly, and that's my vision of how you can be a radical centrist. What it cannot be, and too often is, is a defender of a failed and stale status quo. And that's how we lose. And it's compounded in blue states and blue cities because there's a sense that, oh, it's a one party city, it's a one party state. Wait your turn, get in line, climb the greasy pole. So it does not encourage people to get out and be a political entrepreneur based on being a committed citizen and say, you know what, screw it, I'm in this race and I'll be the disruptor.
Speaker 1: But it's also they're also in a defensive crouch because Republicans and Trump keep painting, you know, these Democratic cities as failures, and so they want to defend themselves and in doing so, they are defending terrible policies and the status quo.
Speaker 3: And the problem is is this is the the coalition. First of all, the parties are not you know, this is not it is a bureaucracy. But it's not a conspiracy, right, I mean, there's not a struck. Anyone could have run to your point. But because of the coalitional nature of the Democratic Party, everyone too many Often when you run for office, people tiptoe around special interest groups for fear of offending them because it might cost them politically, and so they cannot say or do anything useful. You gotta eliminate yourself from that. Now, California's open primary top two should liberate people for that for that first. But that is one of the biggest problems facing the left. Everybody's afraid of offending some constituency and so they can't speak common sense and people can smell bullshit. Excuse me, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say that, my heart, but you'll be able to bleep me if I'm not. And so that's a huge problem. The alternative is someone who's undermining fundamental American values in a way that are going to have a negative impact on American exceptionalism and the Republic for decades. So again, don't you know, don't don't fall into some echo of but her emails. But centrist Democrats need to grow some spine. They need to actually start calling bullshit. They need to start getting Democrats need to ditch identity politics. I'll say that all day long. And then we need to build a new coalition that actually finds common ground and common cost with the center right and center left and cast off the authoritarian impulse sort of folks on the far right and and the the tribalism on the far left and really start focusing on what unites is not what devis us, but doing it in a way that solves problems and plays offense simply like you know, harbor your resources to defend the status quo. And that's I think what we mean by the patriotic center, and that's what we need to build well.
Speaker 1: And it starts with acknowledging some of the things that you did wrong. And that's why I think not releasing that DNC autopsy is such a critical mistake.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's it's it's all the problems, it's it's it's only the only thing that was missed that I would add to that is when the DNC said it was going to unilaterally disarm and not use AI. Well, while the Trump team is spending you know, one hundred million dollars because we're dealing with weapons grade disinformation uh and and corrupt deals that then propagate that. I mean, everyone's got to wake wake the hell up and realize that this is it's, it's it's every this is the time to be a citizen. Everyone's got to roll up their sleeves and get in the game, because if you sleep through the next few cycles, you know, you're not gonna work our country, which is a great country, inevitably flawed but great. We we will look back on great regret, and so we have an opportunity and obligation to unfuck it in our lifetime.
Speaker 1: Exactly right. Okay, let's get to our exit poll, a little mental health moment. It's a few questions of varying degrees of seriousness. First, what is John Avalon's favorite movie about politics?
Speaker 3: Oh? Well, you narrowed it right there. In some level, The Godfather Too is about politics, But on some level, The Godfather Too is.
Speaker 1: About family, family politics.
Speaker 3: You know, I love mister Smisch goes to Washington, you know, but I'm a Frank Capri Kada guy.
Speaker 1: Of course. Yeah. What's your favorite movie about journalism?
Speaker 3: Network? Or good Night and good Luck?
Speaker 1: Those are two go oh yeah, those are very avline picks. Those are great. Okay, you ran for Congress, If you ran for president, what would your on stage song be, assuming you could get the rights to it?
Speaker 3: That's fun, let's see, I mean to walk on music? Yeah, I mean probably probably where the streets have no name. A live version, you know, from Great Livers. Well, it's one of my favorite songs. You two is my favorite band. I'm not afraid to admit it. It's the war on apathy.
Speaker 1: I can hear the campaign ads now. He won't even walk on to an American artist.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's right. Well, you know, in some ways, and it's probably you know, Bono was challenging us to be better Americans, more true to the spirit of the Declaration. Yeah, you know, I just I love you two. I'm more been willing to take on on the on their haters.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so a personal it's a personal path, Yeah, got it. Uh. How do you protect your mental health from all the bad incoming the bad news?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a great question. I think there is, Like you, Uh, partly, I've gotten a culturated two. I don't over index the crazy haters. Obviously, running accelerates that, but not significantly more than being a journalist, you know, in in that CNN or in the Trump here. I do think it's important to make time to work out, to uh not seek false solace, right, to not distract yourself, and you know, uh, to spend time with children, your children, you know, which is a heart replenisher. And and and and you got to watch your diet. I mean, the dopamine addiction we're all suffering from is partly what destabilize and numbs simultaneously. So uh, you know, you know, thoughts are things and uh, and you know, be mindful of what you pay attention to consume.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Finally, last question is very important to me. It's a part of my culture and spiritual identity. When is it iced coffee season.
Speaker 3: Well, the answer you want is always.
Speaker 1: Uh, that is the answer I want. But what is your answer.
Speaker 3: If if I if the restaurant, I will, I will drink ice coffee at any time of year. I will also drink hot coffee. I fight, you know, I mean, I'm not you know, it's not a seasonal thing.
Speaker 1: It's really just one the correct answer.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 1: It's year round to get a correct answer. You know why because you're centrist. Yes, it's a centrist answer whenever.
Speaker 3: You want, but a fighting centrist.
Speaker 1: Love it. John Avalon, thanks so much for coming on. This was a right conversation. I knew it would be always and come back to talk about your new book.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that's not you know it's going to come out in March. It's going to be next March, So we got some time. Let's we'll hang out before them, but you'll be called Theodore Roosevelt's Guide to Life.
Speaker 1: Exciting. Great, right, Thank care, Thanks Bud, Well, thanks to John. Before we go, my producer Derek tells me we've got some mail at off the cop Derek, what do we got?
Speaker 3: We do?
Speaker 4: We have a note from listener Mac, and it actually fits really well with the conversation that you and John just had because he is hearkening back to remember a few months ago the trend of like flashback to twenty sixteen. This was how everyone was taught on social media talking about Yes.
Speaker 1: I did that, I did it on Instagram. Yeah all right, So.
Speaker 4: Max says, my question is what policy issue would you say you've shifted on the most since twenty sixteen?
Speaker 1: Slash?
Speaker 3: Are there any.
Speaker 4: Views you espoused back then that perhaps you might not now? And bonus, you've been very brave in sticking to your principles and values since twenty sixteen? Have you lost any friends along the way in doing so? Thanks for all the work you do, love from the UK.
Speaker 2: Mac.
Speaker 1: Well, what a lovely note and what great great questions. Well, I have thought about this, and I've been asked this quite a bit. What I've changed, and the short answer is nothing. The short answer is all the stuff I believed in then I believe in today. My party has changed around me. So what I believe in doesn't seem Republican or conservative today, but it is definitely still conservative. It's definitely not where the Republican Party is. I think on a very I don't know if it's small or not small, But on a discrete issue, I've become a fan of term limits over the past ten years. I was not a fan of term limits. I thought term limits were undemocratic, and I thought term limits kind of took a decision away from voters. If voters really liked an elected member despite their age and wanted to keep voting for that member, why should they have to stop voting for that member because they reached a certain age. But now increasingly I am a favor of term limits, like everywhere. But the other thing I'll say is like, there's stuff I did. I was thinking about this recently. When I worked at Fox for about two years. I was never paid, but that's where I was coming on a lot when I first came into politics and media, and there was stuff I did there that I know I did because I was new and young and felt like I was performing for an audience. That audience was like Fox executives, and because I wanted a contract now. I didn't do I wouldn't do like birtherism. I didn't do the racism that they were dealing in. I didn't do anything I'm ashamed of or that like I wish, I didn't do anything I didn't believe in, but like I knew, I was kind of hard on. Like this one example I'll never forget I was I was called to do Hannity's show for the first time, and doing Sean Hannity's show in primetime was like a big step up. And I'd been doing dayside at Fox for you know, a year. Finally got the call to Common like the Big the Big Time Show with Sean Hannity, and I was told this is an audition and the topic I was given was I think Obama had just appointed Leon Panetta to like CIA wasn't a big it wasn't a very juicy topic. I didn't have strong feelings about it, and I didn't know Leon Panetta. I was twenty five, Like I didn't grow up knowing that Leon Panetta was Clinton's chief of staff, like I didn't know anything about him. So I looked and looked and looked and tried to find some controversy, some scandal I could point to, because I knew I was supposed to not like this pick, whatever it was. I knew I was supposed to hate this pick and find it really problematic. But I couldn't find the thing. So I think I went on and I did something really vague like, well, you know, he's a career Democrat and this should be a nonpartisan post, something not very strong, but I said it because I knew I was supposed to not like this pick. And I just remember when I left Fox, like never wanting to feel that way again. It felt icky, And again that's a very small thing, like I didn't do things that really broke my character, like my moral compass, but I know I did things because I was performing, and I knew i'd never wanted to perform again. That didn't feel good. So certainly in the past ten years, I've really stopped performing, and I've only, you know, done things that I believe in and want to do. And if I can't find it, I'll say that and I'll agree with you know the side I'm not supposed to agree with or whatever. But yeah, the short answers, I've changed, no opinions. I'm the same. I'm the same, gal Well.
Speaker 4: That was a very reflective answer at the end of a very reflective episode.
Speaker 1: So this has been great.
Speaker 3: Thank you Mac for sending in the question.
Speaker 4: You can send more questions to the email Off the Cup at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: Off the Cup with two p's. Yeah, I would love to get your mail and read your mail on the air. That's it for us this week. Thanks for tuning in, and we'll see you next time. Off the Cup is a production of iHeart Podcast as part of the Reason Choice Network. If you want more, check out the other Reason Choice podcasts, Politics with Jamel Hill and Native Land Pod. For Off the Cup, I'm your host, Si Cup, editing and sound design by Derek Clements. Our executive producers are me Si Cup and Lauren Hanson. Rate and review wherever you get your podcasts, follow and subscribe for new episodes every week.