Speaker 1: Look, it's only films to be buried with.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to films to be buried with. My name is Brett Goldstein. I'm a comedian, an actor, a writer, director, a bowling pin, and I love films. As Rokwon once said, silence is its own kind of conversation, which is why I still think A Quiet Place should have ended with someone whispering fucking hell.
Speaker 1: That was stressful.
Speaker 2: Every week I'm invite a special guest over. I tell them they've died, and I get them to discuss their life through the films. The men the most of them. Previous guests include Barry Jenkins, Kevin Smith, Sharon Stone, and even Bled Blambles. But this week we have the Oscar winning playwright, screenwriter and author mister Peter Strawn. Head over to the Patreon at patroon dot com forwards slash pret Goldsting, where you get extra twenty minutes of chat with Peter. We talk secrets, beginnings and endings, and you get the whole episode uncut Adfrey, and there's a video. Check it out over at patreon dot com. Forward last break. So Peter Strawn, just one an Oscar for God's sakes, you might know him from writing Tinker Taylor, soldiers By or The Men Who Steric Goats or Frank or How to Lose Friends and Alienate People, or even the Oscar winning Conclave. I met Peter once before and then we recorded this on Zoom. We had a very lovely time, and I really think you're going to love this one. So that is it for now. I very much hope you enjoy episode three hundred and forty six of Films to be Buried With. Hello, and welcome to Films to be Buried With. It is I Berett Goldstein, and I am joined today by a writer, a screen writer, a director, a Missus Raccless, revolutioner, a man who loses friends and alienates people, a man who stares at ghats. He's a tinker, he's a tailor. He's a soldier, he's a spy, he's a snowman. He's a goldfish. And he is now an Academy Award winning screenwriter of Conclave, and he also has a brand in crisis. He's here. I can't believe he's here, fresh from his oscar. Will you please welcome to the show. It's the amazing writer.
Speaker 1: It's Peter Stroan, thank you.
Speaker 2: Broh Hi, Peter, how are you very well?
Speaker 1: Thank you? How are you? I'm good, thank you.
Speaker 2: We met once before because there was a live reading of your film Conclave, as part of the campaign to win the Oscars. I performed in that live reading, and then you won an Oscar. Coincidence, I don't think so. I thought it was brilliant and I love that film, and you are the first guest that I've had on the show this soon after winning an Oscar, and I'm very happy for you. It is very well deserved. But the kind of record I thought you were excellent. Your speech was excellent and very you know, subtle and funny and sweet. And I wondered, as someone who is not a performer, is there a part of you that dreads a fuck I've got to go up on that stage?
Speaker 1: Or were you very excited about How did all that actually feel? I was sick to my stomach, right, I was absolutely sick to my stomach. There was a point about two awards before mine where they helpfully announced and now we're being watched by a billion people around the world, and I just think, Oh, if you're an inter of it and you're simply going to have to get in a station of a billion people and a kind of white noise sort of buzzed in my ears, and then I was kind of on autopilot, you know, don't really remember saying anything.
Speaker 2: You looked very confident. That was just shock right, yeah, Dane, it was lovely. I was looking at your CV and it's a very very impressive CV, and it surprises me that it's always adaptations, right, You've always adapted other things.
Speaker 1: Is that true. There's a couple of originals, but it's mostly adaptations. And what is it?
Speaker 2: I mean, you're the best in the biz at it, and I'd love to know. Is it different with every project? Do you have a sort of system of working into something and also what makes you choose that as the thing you want to do?
Speaker 1: So there isn't really a system. It's quite instinctive. I'll get some something, I read it, and you know, you'll either kind of connect with it on an emotional level or you want and sometimes well this is interesting. So I always sort of feel like I don't necessarily know why. I mean, sometimes it just seems obvious to me that this is great. Sometimes it is just obvious it's great, you know, it's obvious with Tinker Tallers or just By that's just great book world fall, great book conclave, you know. But I think it's not just that they have to be good. It's that you have to find some sort of connection, like emotional connection with them. And what I've discovered, weirdly is I'm always really telling the same sort of story, even when it's with someone else's story, and it's other thing that I'm connecting with is a story that's about betrayal and loyalty. And it took me ages to realize that was what was going on. And I don't know why that's the story that I'm drawn to again again.
Speaker 2: I really want to work this out in the next hour.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's not well. The funny thing is I've been discovered that about myself. It makes no difference. It doesn't help me do them. It doesn't stop me from connecting with those stories, you know what I mean, It's going to happen anyway. But I sort of looked back over them and thought, oh, yeah. The Meny Stereo Goads, you know, which was a book by John Ronson about some wacky sort of experiments carried out in the US Army into the paranormal. But the sort of story we ended up focusing on was one of those who were loyal to this ideal of the sixties that had originally, you know, been the heart of it, and those who betrayed that ideal. And then obviously Tinker Taylor a spy is really about a traitor and those who are loyal to a cause. And then in wolf Hall, you know, we sort of focused very much on the story of him getting revenge on those who betrayed the Master that he was loyal to. And even yeah, you know that it's about those who are loyal to the pope who's died and those who are kind of betraying that legacy. So it's weird, isn't it. And I don't know why.
Speaker 2: Well, those that now you're saying that, I'm like all of your lead characters, not or maybe not all of them, but certainly in Tinker Taylor and in Conclave, probably in Wilfall, they're these kind of quiet, decent men who who have believed in a system that they are trying to uphold it with integrity whilst the world is infecting the system around them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's exactly right. Yes, exactly. I thought that Cordin, Lawrence, and Smiley have got a lot in common. I think Cromwell and Wolfall is slightly different because he's he goes on a longer journey and I think he changes in the course of the journey, but he would recognize and respect the loyalty of people like Lawrence or Smiling you know. So it's it's interesting and I don't know why. I don't know. I mean, I was broad up Catholic, and I don't know if the Judas thing, I don't know, if that's in the mix somewhere, I don't know.
Speaker 2: But is that how you feel about the world? Is that how you feel as a human like you want you're a man of decency surrounded by indecency?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I probably fear that I'd be one of the Judases that would be to everyone, But I definitely respond to kind of the quiet heroism as those people who you know remain loyal no matter what. Yeah, fascinating, you don't feel I've just wondered if I wondered how common it was for that to be a kind of core story that writers are telling different ships. Do you feel that about your writing?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 2: And also it's funny you tell me, I guess I'm curious, but maybe you've already answered it because you do adaptations rather than originals. But the other thing I find a I do thematically. I'm think talking about a similar thing. But it's also my point is sometimes it takes a while. You can be halfway through making a thing, you could even finish the thing where you go, Oh, that part of it was me and I didn't even know it whilst I was doing it, you know what I mean. I was like, yeah, that was about this piece of myself that I wasn't aware I was articulating.
Speaker 1: Do you have that well? I mean I think in a way this sort of story was definitely that that it took me so long, because once I started looking back, I thought it was kind of obvious that that was a story that was drawn me again again, but I didn't realize for a long long time. I mean I think I was like, was like woll forward before suddenly, So I find that kind of interesting how little we know ourselves sometimes. Yeah, and what what's coming out is coming out from a subconscious place, not always from the conscious mind. Yeah, there's a little bit of yourself fractured and sort of putting all of these other characters when you're writing. Interesting. I like that. It's funny because you sort of feel like one of the things that's nice about writing is you get to become other people for a little while when you're writing them. But I wouldn't if actually it's closer to what you just said, which is you kind of you get to put themselves to other people here, like whole crocks from a reportter. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So knowing that now having that away, is there any part of you that like as a challenge or something sort of what's to go or right, I'm going to write something that is not about loyalty.
Speaker 1: And it's interesting. I don't think any of us really unconscious control, you know. Yeah, it's like I can't make myself write you know, a really good commercial blockbuster. If I could, I would, you know, But the writing doesn't respond to that sort of command, does it. You know, there's only a certain areas it's going to work in, and you know, you look, if you've got an area it's going to work in, to be honest, most of the time, so don't mess with it.
Speaker 2: That's true. Having done all the Awards season that you just did. It's such a sort of mad world. How did you find that whole? Because it's long as well? Isn't it quite long?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I mean I guess it was. It was from January on for me because I had to get a easy to get in the States, so I wasn't doing stuff in the old to my the winter. Some chances, when I look back, I think it was only like six eight weeks, you know, it felt like a lot longer. Yeah, I felt like foret like years of my life. But what was nice about it? I mean, there's lots of things that are stressful and sort of frightening about it, especially if you know, if you're a bit of an intervit. What was nice about it was I was with a lot of the Conclave team and they were all great, and it sort of felt a bit like a little you know, doing it with family. So that was really that made it much more enjoyable. I take you to be doing it, which I guess must happen quite often if you're doing it on your own, or even if you're doing it with you know, people from a project that actually you don't like.
Speaker 2: Can you tell me, because I know it's different in film. Are you on set in Conclave? Were you there when they were making it? How much you I was?
Speaker 1: I was, And I'm not normally, to be honest, normally in the past, I've sort of just you know, you go on for a day and say hello, like a tourist and there's nothing really free to do. For some reason, Edward invited me and so I did go on set, and he kind of liked having me there and it was kind of useful. I mean for me personally, I really loved it. I really loved it. I've never been on set for the whole shoot before, and you kind of It's the first time I've properly felt like I was part of the crew, you know, and it was like when the way and enjoying the circus. Really loved it and we were shicking, so it felt, you know, in the cheat and stuff, so it felt very glamorous. Because I was there. I think we could make little changes. It'll sort of bespoke changes to scenes. You know, we'd rehearse and run through and you know, the way actors are really good. It just kind of instinctively feelings the rhythm of the line is wrong or yeah, you could just see when there were slightly you know, catching on the line, so we just do some little nips and took so we'd realized we could come into the scene later or out earlier. So that was great. I mean, it's great for me. I loved that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wonder with the film that that you have a book, you have the script, Like, I'm curious, it feels so tightly made and plotted, and you know, all the pieces fit very nicely, and I'm seeing the finished product. I'm wondering, is the finished product close to the shooting script that you started with or how much did it change in the edit and all of that, Like how far away from what you had done day one?
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, the whole thing. Obviously we inherited from the book from Robert Harris, which was really well put together and well built, you know, and we didn't mess that much with that really, so I would say, you know, like I don't know, seventy percent, it always stayed the same. And then we played with some things at the beginning, and we played with some things at the end. We added a couple of scenes, and then in the shoot we made some again smaller and smaller changes. You know, it did feel like I don't know why I'm saying this because I know nothing about Taylory, but how I would imagine it's like building a suit bay. You know, you kind of just you know that the measurements are getting more more precise.
Speaker 2: Do you to talk to Robert Harris? That was you and him part of the order to adapting adapting?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, I mean yeah, early on especially, I went you know, to his house and we had lunch and talk stuff through. And then you know, when I and as I was working on if I had questions, I would chat with him about it, or when we were going to make some changes, run them past him. He was great. I've really noticed that the really good experienced writers like him, or the Carrey or Hillary Mantel, you know he did, will fall. They're like the most relaxed and the most kind of open about the stuff you want to do. You know, I think often just because stick, but it's possibly just because why do they need to worry? Because the book's already great and no one's messing with the book. And often they've been through the adaptation process a lot, you know, so they kind of they know that a slavish copy isn't necessarily going to be the best film. So so he was one of those. He was great. He was really open, generous.
Speaker 2: That's cool. And what's next? What are you doing next? What are you doing next?
Speaker 1: To you? Man? The next thing shooting is a series called Berlin Noir, which is a sort of detective thing set in Berlin in nineteen twenty eight. Original or adapted no adapted from books Yeah, about loyalty and betrayal, of course it is. Yeah, it's a series of books by to see the books by Philip Kerr. Are you so running it? I am sure running it? Yeah? Oh wow, Okay, Yeah, I'm not entirely sure what that means, which is probably not a good sign in the showrunner. That means you actually fucking everything. That's that's what I figured it. Yeah, it reals actually fucking everything. Yeah, you're going to fuck up everything, that's what I forget. It meant. I can I give your calls I've been and then say I don't know what I'm doing? What do I do? Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, man, I'll hand you over to someone more experience. But yes, just sort of assume it's everything and you'll be fine.
Speaker 1: Okay, No, that's reassuring. Just do everything.
Speaker 2: It's just everything and then and never sleep and you'll be fine. Oh there is one thing I forgot to tell you though. Maybe I should have told you when we did that reading, but I don't know if it happened. Well, you've died, you're dead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was during the reading, I think, Yeah, yeah, I felt that happening. You were very good anyway. Yeah, I'm sorry. How did you die? So? Have you seen Death and Venice? Yes? I died. I died like bog at the end of Death and Venice because I live in I don't really know why I live in Brighton, and I've often thought I'll die in a death chair on the beach with this kind of sun in my eyes, people all around me, and no one will notice for quite a while that I've actually died. How long do you think it will take them? A couple of weeks, a few weeks, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. I don't move much anyway, so it would be a while. Are you alone on this day here? Yeah? I am here, possibly wearing the running mascara of Bogarde as well.
Speaker 2: How are you when you die? I'm going to go eighties eighty seven. Okay, I'll go seven if I've got the option.
Speaker 1: No, it's six. Yeah. Do you worry about death? I think about death. So I've gone from being someone who glibally did not think about death at all. And then sort of in the last you know, fifteen years or so, I've lost a lot of people. So I feel quite well acquainted with death. Now. I don't think it makes me fear my own death, but it's definitely there is a presence in life for me.
Speaker 2: And I had to ask this, and I hope it's like going to ask this in it having been acquainted, As you say, does it change the way you feel in your life? Do you feel a connection to it, as in, do you think there's anything after death? Do you feel anything that's that way?
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't know. I kind of wish I did. I tell what I have got, which is strange because it's comforting even though it's not a belief in the afterlife. But so, you know, my wife died, I sorry, thank you. And then and then sort of, you know, in the last sort of ten years, my parents had died, and in those lots, lot of in those died and stuff, so there was just there was a lot of death. And I remember when my mother died, I went for a walk along the beach. I live in Brighton, and I walked on the beach and the sun was was indeed does in my eyes, and there were sort of people in the water and on the beach, and I don't know why, but it sort of felt like a little image of an afterlife. You would go on to the beach and your people would be there waiting for you. And I still find that idea, almost like a Native American, I will go to be with my people. I find that kind of strangely comforting. I'm not strangely comforting. I guess it just is comforting. And I suppose that must come a point, you know, if you live long enough, whether there or more people on on that side of the line, as a word, and than on your side of the line. And I wonder, then if you know, death doesn't hold the fear, because there was a sense, even if only metaphorically, that I'm going to go and be with you know, my people.
Speaker 2: There's so many stories of people on the old older people when they're dying in their last moments, saying, oh there's there's thingy. There's thingy in the room with them. Yeah, well, so listen, you're right, that is what happens. You die and you guys heaven and it's the seaside and and all your people there and it's fucking lovely and you get to go and to see and you've got misca or not miscars up.
Speaker 1: To you and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everyone's very excited to see you, and they want to talk about your life but through film, and there's an oscar in it.
Speaker 1: They think, they think you'll probably have a lot to say so and I'm still I've got the oscar. I haven't know in heaven I can probably I can probably hold it.
Speaker 2: You're not going anywhere about that, don't you. I'm assuming it's in your other hand right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the first thing they ask is what is the first film you remember seeing? Peter Stroyan?
Speaker 1: And can this be on TV? It is enough to be at the cinema, it can be on TV if it's if it's the truth. I think the first film I remember seeing on TV and it would be either Christmas Day or Easter, and it was Journey to the Center of the Earth. Oh wow, do you remember that one? James Mason. I think I think it was a Disney film from the issue Mason. Yes, and that's all I remember. I would have been about four something like that. I think your brothers and sisters. I've got a brother and three sisters. Yeah, all older that. Wow, are you are you close to Sam? What was the first one at the cinema? Then? If you remember that? And the first film at the cinema was I'm pretty sure it was Beding, Robs and booms. Well, in my mind, it's bed Ups and Boomsticks, but I checked the date just before and it's nineteen seventy one. I thought, well, I was born in sixty eight, so unless it was a rerun later on, maybe that happened. But that's the that's the one in my head. Anyway, I'm watching bed Robs and Boomsticks and Cinema and it's an ABC I think remember ABC, And it was really kind of dusty and like half empty, and it was that kind of seventies you know when I think cinema is not going to survive, that kind of that kind of feel to it. Pre pre Star Wars, Lovely you were thinking as a three round, Yes, this isn't gonna last I thought, don't, don't, don't take up a career in film. This is not gonna survive.
Speaker 2: Interesting that the first film you saw was an adaptation of a classic book makes you think.
Speaker 1: Makes you think, doesn't it? And say, what's the film? What's the film that made you cry? The mice? Do you cryer Peterstown, I've been known to cry. Yeah, I've had my crying moments. Well, i'll tell you there's a few. I watched eight with my I went I went to a patch of watching sort of eighties films with my daughter who's he's just an early twenties who hadn't seen the first time around, and we watched Et and unexpectedly that made me cry. But I don't have to cry, but I missed it up definitely. That's a bit where it looks like Et is dying, he's on the operating table. Yeah, expectedly, it's the saddest film. I sort of thought I was made of tougher stuff in that, and I've seen it a million times, but I think I went straight back to you know, childhood as well with it. I guess, so that that got to me. I'll tell you another then. That always makes me grow a bit misty is and I know, sorry, everyone must bring up this film, so I do apologize. But Casablanca, when they start singing the French national anthem, always brings it at lump to my film. And there's a film called This is Loads, isn't it? So yes I am, I love it. There's a film called Random Harvest. I don't have seen a Random Harvests, an old black and white movie with Ronald Coleman and Bier Garson. And he's a firstful War soldier who has amnisia and he's looked after by this woman in a small town and they fall in love and they get married, and then he loses his memory for a second time and forgets about her and becomes it goes back to who he was before he lost his memory. And then when we's great sort of jump in the narrative where you find him now a successful politician, and his secretary comes in and it's the woman who he was in love with in his previous life before he lost his memory again and she knows it's him, and she's sort of just there to be close to him, but he doesn't realize he once was in love with this woman, and that always gets me every timely and then, but the last time I actually started to cry in the cinema embarrassingly was Broke Back Man, And it was the bit at the end with his share and it was just that line, It's like Jack, I swear, I swear, it's just when he's got the shirts every time. Yeah, that's a great film.
Speaker 2: It's a great film. It is a great last line. Yeah, it is good answers. All right, gave you ten points for that.
Speaker 1: I do you know what? I'm gonna take another year of your life for that? What is?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what is the film that's scared you the most? Do you like being scared?
Speaker 1: I do? I like not written as scary. When have you I haven't? You know, I would love to do a horror film, and I think I've tried a couple of times and I can't do them. That's what I mean about not going to kind of just wish your your ability into a certain genre, because I really like horror films, like I can. I can enjoy a crap horror film in a way that I can't enjoy a crap you know, a thriller or a crap comedy I would propily sit through, really mediocre horror films. I get that, but because I watch a lot of them, I don't get scared that often. You know, most of them, and most horror fims aren't really that scary of it. They're right, that's sort of just goryal or a bit predictable. But there have been a couple of occasions. I'll tell you what I think helps actually is if you're watching a horror film in the cinema with an audience, I think there's a much better chance of it's starting to feel a bit of it because you play, start to pick up on I remember this is not a film, but as an example, do you remember Ghost Story, which is to play Remember going to see that because I had a friend The friend was in it, and I went to see it. Wasn't next, I think very much. And the audience, it was a great full audience. It's really really good for a start, but also the audience, like from the get go were like slightly hysterical and jittery. You could feel like there was a lot of nervous laughter. And then the minutes something scary happened on stage, they screened their heads off and like whether you wanted you or not, you started to get like whipped up into this this terror yourself. So so a couple of times when it has that has happened for me has been in a cinema with an audience. And I remember going to see obviously every run of The Exorcist, which isn't scary, but the opening sequence, which is like in the Holy Land. I just remember he's walking and there's dogs sort of barking at him, and it's got this weird atmosphere, and it was the same thing where you could feel the audience getting sort of slightly jittery and lots of nervous laughter, and it was an odd kind of bunnize came upon us all which I really remember. And then you know when by the time we got spinning heads, it wasn't that scary anymore. But that beginning was that there was something genuinely unerving. I like that and blair Witch. The end in the blair Witch where the guys stand in the corner, I remember the hair sort of going up on the back of my neck. Yeah, and then it wasn't so much scary, But I remember Audition. Do you remember the Japanese film Audition?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I haven't watched audition. I imagine I wouldn't like that. From what I've read, you probably probably wouldn't. It's not only a sick person that would. I don't like, why do people get hurt? No, but don't watch the end of audition. That's that stayed with me in a not altogether happy way.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love horror films, but I don't like torture stuff. There was a kind and it's got this very quiet, calm and cool feel, which makes it even worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean it's a great film, but it's yes, deeply unsettling. Oh.
Speaker 2: Ghost Stories, by the way, I'm a huge fan of I think I like the play and I think the film was even better. I thought the film was more emotional, Like I was sort of impressed with how kind of moving the film was, Like, I think they added a layer to it that made it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, agreed, they absolutely did have that was really good. And I do like those stories in general. So, you know, a lot of my favorite I mean, none of it horror films are other things like the Orphanage, you know, or yeah, yeah, I guess it is. Yeah, but ghost ghost horror films rather than sort of go horror films. I really like me too. Yeah, yeah, what is the film that you love?
Speaker 2: It is not critically acclaimed, lots of people hate it, but you love it unconditionally, so it can it.
Speaker 1: Be a good film? Can it be a good film? Yeah? Well not really?
Speaker 2: I mean to you, yes, so a bad film but that you enjoyed, like, and I think this is the best, you know, and the best one's ever made. But for example of Greece too, lots of people seem to think Greece two isn't good. But those people are very wrong. You don't think that's the best film ever made? You big, like, I notic it's the best film. I think it's in the top fifty.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll tell you what it is, because I mean there's loads there's loads of like mediocre kind of horror like monster movies that I really love that I know that that ship, you know, like Avian versus Predator or whatever. I'm quite happy with that stuff. But I've got a little film club with a friend Polly that sort of once a week we watch a film and then just text so that as we're watching it and we taken turns to suggest what the film is. And she suggested Roadhouse the original Eighties, which I hadn't seen and which is a you know, it's a truly truly bad film, but she loves it, and there's something about how much she enjoyed it sort of infected me. So I ended up being but it's a mad it's a mad little of nonsense, really, But yeah, so I'll go with that. That's a really good answer. That's exactly in the area.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what about a film that you used to love that you have watched recently, You've rewatched it and you've got no, I don't like this anymore, and probably because you have changed rather than the film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there is one. And I was really taken by surprise. So I was when I was watching films with my daughter that I had a lot of that you love this film kind of, you know, I love this film, you love this film kind And that didn't always work out well. But we watched Blays and Saddles. She loved it and I loved it. I thought, that's still really still great. And then I said, oh, we should watch it on Frankenstein because that's my favorite. I love Frankstang. And you know what, I didn't enjoy it. I don't know. I don't know what to change, but it felt a lot didn't feel his light on his feet as Blazed and Saddles, and there's a lot more out of sexist humor in it. Yeah it was. I was really surprised because I always remember that. Yeah, it was slower and just not funny basically. I mean, there were still some great moments in it or you know, Red like it. No, no she didn't. So she was right and I was wrong. But Based and Saddles were still great. I'm glad to hear that. Yeah, what about what is the film that means the most to you? Not necessarily the film itself is any good, but the experience you had seeing the film will always make it meaningful to you. Right, So this is The Big Lebowski, which is one of my favorite films. I'm a big con Butther's fan. I love the Cone Butthers And when I first started writing films, I think that was the biggest influence on me. So some of the first sort of scripts, like spec scripts that I wrote were very you know, there were just terrible copies of Cone. But it's basically that kind of you know, expect that kind of far go West black comedy and they weren't the things that ended up writing that got made. They ended up much more commercial. But what I wanted to do was stuff like the Guns. And I love The Big Lebowski. I think it's one of the happiest of their comedies. And the reason it means a lot to me is I've got a really clear memory of Bridget, my my girlfriend then who then became my wife. I just moved down to London to be with her and we went to the Camden Odion and there was a late night screening of The Big Lebowski that just come out. I think it was like midnight, you know, we used to do those midnight shows, and it was packed and just we all loved it, you know, just when it's when the whole audience is just loving the film. And I just really remember that atmosphere and it was like this, this is what's lovely about cinema, when we're all together having the same experience of a great film. Yeah. Really, Yeah, It's gonna really special place in my heart. That's very nice. What's your second favorite Time Brothers film? Fargo? What's your dad favorite? Miller's Crossing Great? I love Millis what we're gonna say about fargu well, Fargo for me, because I think I think Fargo might be the first one that I saw and I and I still think it's quite a particular tone even in the filumber that's kind of I hadn't seen that mix of darkness and comedy. And then I remember the bit at the end when Marge's driving the captured criminal and she says something like that, you know, there's a lot more to life than just money, Like you can't understand how he could have done this thing. It's the car in the snow, and that music's a fantastic music swells and it suddenly doesn't feel like a comedy at all. It feels actually quite profound and tragic almost, you know. And it's just there was something about that tone that I thought, God, if you can capture that, you can do anything, because you can do comedy with it, you can do horror with it. You know, you can do serious drama. It was just an incredible color that they managed to capture him and Fargo. That's nice. What is the filming most related to I find this quite tricky question. So this is how I've interpreted it, Okay, And you can just say no, that's not what it means it all. So film was a big part of my childhood in the sense that it was just on all the time. There's every mountain there there was a movie on, like a black and white movie or a western or a war film, and sometimes in the evenings as well, and we'd all watch things together as a family. So it was very much like what I associated with my family, and it was pretty It would have been you know, like thirties, forties and fifties American cinema largely. And then when I hit my teens, I remember kind of watching things that were to do I was supposed to be fair. There was like Star Wars and that kind of thing. When I was like a kid, you know, and the other kids at school we were into Star Wars and HELLI and I guess as well. But I remember Gregory's Girl and it wasn't This wasn't the sort of stuff I was watching with my family, and it was just what me and my friends got into. And you know, like if you've been listening to your parents' records or your older brother and sisters records, and then for the first time you get your own music and you and your friends are into and it's just yours. That was what Gregory's Girl felt like, I've got like this is just for us. It was a different kind of comedy and it was you know, it felt kind of cool, and I loved Claire. I was literally in love with Claire Grogan like everyone else I knew, you know, So that felt the first time whereas like all film can actually be you know, connected to my life as a young person rather than than kind of you know, the family world. That's a nice way of playing another one. Sorry I was a bit older, but it's definitely the same thing because it was when I went to university a little bit later, like I was twenty one or something, twenty two, and I remember we all got into with Neil Night and we like, we loved with Neil Light and we quoted with Nail Night endlessly. And that was another one where it was like, well, this is this is our film. You know, this isn't anyone else's film, This is ours. That one for sure, still love that, pet. What's the sexiest film we've ever seen? Well, I was quite young, but the one that I remember probably having the biggest impact on me, strangely was What's Up Doc? With Barbara streisand really yeah, and I didn't. I don't think I knew what to do with the feelings that this brought about in me in a bath. No, No, I was more slightly more kind of innocent and romantic than that. Like I really really felt like I was in love with her. And I remember we were we were decorating the living room and then scaped all the wallpaper off and I wrote on the wall I love Barbara streisand misspelled and then it got papered over. So that's probably still there. Ah, But I was just mad there from that film, but not in any other film, just just that film. Did you ever meet her in your in your travels? No, I never have a view. No, I don't met her. Well, if you do meet her, but if I do, I'm going to tell her, tell her I love her, but only in What's Up? Dog.
Speaker 2: But listen, it's quite commic, it's quite specific, But I've got the man wh is quite specific.
Speaker 1: You do need to be you're going to need to wear this car again and talk exactly like this. But other than that, what what what did? What's that term now for a particular kind of female character that men like manic MANI Pixy dream Girl. Yeah, I've got a feeling to my shame, probably that the character was the prototype for that. I'll just clear Grogan really and Gregory's girls. So I'm obviously prone to these who are finding that character attractive to a many pisure dream Girl well yeah, but now I feel cheap and manipulated. I don't know if that's true. And what's that we'd have to go back and watching in It's so supossible. She's just a very funny woman, is it. Yeah? And she is beautiful as well. Yeah, what is O?
Speaker 2: There's a subcategory, Peter, and I know you make classy things so obviously, but it's here is the question. It's in every episode. The subcategory is traveling by and is worrying why that's the film you found a rassing.
Speaker 1: I like, how incredibly embarrassed you look at You asked me that? Almost ashamed of yourself? Do you ask me that? Said every time?
Speaker 2: But it also the guests that there are some guess where I'm like, yeah, fuck it, and some guys I've known about it. And then there's people who make things like ticket Teer just fe concour like talking like talking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here we go. Fuck. You know. So I don't know if quite discounts, but I think it should count because it feels inappropriate. In Alien, but we used to go to my friend's house at lunchtime from school and watch Alien on video and freeze frame the moments when to go on. Reba was in her underwear. Even though there's I blowed everywhere, and it seems kind of wrong to have found that arose in the midst of in the midst of the horror, but we definitely did.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's absolutely Listen, given your classy this, I'm going to allow that, even though no you get you're going to get that, I'm going to allow that.
Speaker 1: Okay, I survived by classing the third, isn't I Yeah you did, Thank God for that.
Speaker 2: What is objectively the greatest film ever made. It might not be your favorite, but it is the ultimate pinnacle cinema.
Speaker 1: Okay. I mean, you know it's a nonsense question, don't you know that? Yes, of course.
Speaker 2: That I would never answer any of these questions myself. Okay, So the one I would toss in the ring for this would be Barry Lindon. And that's partly because I think it deserves to be a better and part because I really love it personally, and partly because I think it sort of hits a sweet spot between art house and commercial cinema. I think, you know, in the way the Kubrick kind of does. He's kind of he's not like a full on artist. Nobody goes to see his film's director, but he's he's way more artist than most commercial directors. And why Barry Linden, of all his films, I guess it's the one that it's a little bit like Fargo.
Speaker 1: Actually, it's in the sense that it sort of starts as a comedy and it's funny at the beginning, and this seems full of life and a bit rumbunctious and like it's going to be, you know, a sort of picuresque series of adventures, and it just beautifully darkens and darkens until it's heartbreaking by the end. And again it's there's just a kind of tone that manages to carry all of those things at once, like like Fargo does it in a very different register, but Barrylnden has a kind of real grandeur and tragedy to it by the end, and it's beautifully made you know, in every level, just beautifully made and just great, great cinema. All right, am I right? Is it the best film ever made? Objectively?
Speaker 2: No, but I'm going to allow it because it's your episode. Well your claise, you close, you're in. What is the film?
Speaker 1: You could or have watched the mized Iver and Iver again. So there's loads and some of them are really I bet everybody says them Casa blank. I've seen hundreds of times. The Apartment. I've watched probably every year, at least once a year. I love The Apartment. Quite a few of the comfort films, I've got to say, farg I've seen hundreds of times, bigger bout kissing under of times. But then there's a thing that me and my daughter started doing, which so it probably isn't there yet, but definitely if I lived at eighty seven, it's definitely going to be there, which is once a year. We watched a Lord of the Rings trilogy. We've already done that for many years now, so that's going to definitely get there. Okay. And that's all of them, mind you, not just one oh the original, not the Hobbits, the original three, not the Hobbits now, but you're a fan of that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: I'm afraid to say that I'm not a fan of that sort of thing, but I respect it and I appreciate its existence.
Speaker 1: I can tell that your face you don't respect it. I just do not.
Speaker 2: You could barely keep a straight faces said that it's a computer game. Creatures walk along, have a fight, they walk along, have a bigger fight. They walk along, they fight the big boss.
Speaker 1: Yeah, are you talking about the TVC So are you talking about I watched them all.
Speaker 2: I did see them all at the Imax every Christmas. I went, and I admire the craft and the time management that went into making it.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, we are going to have to agree to different young men because I love them.
Speaker 2: Well, I do think, if I'm really genuinely, I don't. In all seriousness, I respect them. I think I get why people love them weirdly. I like science fiction. I like horror, I like puppets, I like like, I like Labyrinth, I like fantasy, but I don't I think I don't like muddy elf stuff.
Speaker 1: I thought I understood. I thought I understood what the distinction was going to be. But once you said you like Labynes but not muddy elf stuff. I thought, this is I think I loved the books when I was a kid, right, No, yeah, and then Lord of the Rings and I was a nerdy kind of fantasy reading kid, you know, so I think it's that's why they work for me if I've been a more robust child. Listen, I'm very much in the minority.
Speaker 2: That's okay. I respect your decision, thank you, and I'm genuine, genuine, genuinely know that it's good.
Speaker 1: It's just not for me. Is that fair? That's all right, that's absolutely fair. Okay, Why were we talking about that again?
Speaker 2: Because yeah, but genuine question then necessarily really does love those types of things? Well that specific thing. Is it moving to you? Lord of the Rings? Is it like what about it?
Speaker 1: Is it? Is it the camaraderie, is it the adventure? What is it? Or is it all of it? The whole thing? You know? What if you know? And I have never ever thought of this until just now when you ask the question, I suddenly thought, I wonder if it's the same bloody thing about those who are loyal and those because you know, they have to some GAMGI has to stay loyal and get them all the way to mortal and carry him on his back in the end, and he's he's another one of those kind of quiet but decent you know, same bloody story, isn't it.
Speaker 2: That's why? Okay, God, I like it. Well, now you told me it's conclave with mad madils me.
Speaker 1: You know as well, l's on muddy. So I don't know where you got that image from Hobbits. Hobbits there you go, not even they're not that muny, but they always in the mads. This lies of men in the mads. I think it's wrestling that you've been watching by a mistake and thinking it was the wings. Yeah, they keep going, I am Lord of the ring, and then fuck, you're right.
Speaker 2: I've ever seen a simple mistake to make? What is the worst film I've ever seen? Don't like to be too negative. All films are very hard to make. It's a tricky one.
Speaker 1: This isn't it? Yeah, for exactly that reason, Because I mean, I've probably been involved in some of the worst things I ever made, so I don't. I don't to pile on other people. So I think that's I think there's a big difference between and a missing a swing and a miss I think that's okay. And you know, we know there's a thousand ways for a film to go wrong and there's only one way for the go right. So, like I said, I don't want to, but I think there's maybe an area where I feel much less sympathy and tolerance. And that's where you feel there's a real cynical money making, you know, just empty like you could have done a good film, but you're just emptiy so and you could pick any of those franchises where you by the time you're on the fourth film, you think there is nothing of worth here. For my one example, just because it really stuck in my head, I remember it was Joe's The Revenge, which to go from such a perfect film as Joe's to this awful, empty, nonsense spy. You know, I don't know if it was a three or four. Do you know what it's interesting about?
Speaker 2: And I think this is the magic of film, because I think there is a film for everyone, and even the worst. Because Joe's the Revenge, which I know is objectively a bad film, I think that might be the first Jaws film I saw when I was like six or eight, and I love I thought, you know what I mean, so like, I know it's dreadful, but I have like a software in my heart, so I'm like, Jee's Wrende was so scary when I was like, I think it was I'd heard about Jews and I think that was the first one I saw.
Speaker 1: I'm going because you were only eight? Yeah, but did you eventually watch the actual George though, and then go oh no, this is great? No, I was like, god, they really ripped off the revenge. Where's Michael Knee? But yes?
Speaker 2: Oh, also, Frank, You're right, Frank, I really loved Frank. Beautiful, beautiful film. I love love the ending of that. I love that song at the end. I really like that film. Congratulations Anyway, there's a human that was the what's the film that made you laugh?
Speaker 1: The vice? Well, sorry, this is really dulln't because I'm just saying the same films again again. But if I'm going to be honest and tell the truth, The Big Labouts kid makes me laugh every time, even though I've seen somebody often and with nil and it makes me laugh every time. When they think Cole Monty's breaking into the house. That makes me laugh every single time. That's great, Monty, you, but for anyone who hasn't seen the film. He was quoting and not calling me.
Speaker 2: Peter Straw, you have been an absolute delight, an Oscar winner, if you will, you have been funny, fascinating, interesting, curious, deep. However, when you were eighty five years old, you were on a deck chair.
Speaker 1: I was I was only six.
Speaker 2: You lost year of result increased too. And because you your dat, you know, like your stories.
Speaker 1: Betrayed.
Speaker 2: You're in a deck chair by a beach. Yeah, yeah, I love your time. Put your scar on?
Speaker 1: Why not?
Speaker 2: And the son some's saying and in front of you you saw your people, your people were and you lay there and he attacking.
Speaker 1: He died. He didn't mention the ar attack.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you and everyone else in Brighton bee playing around, playing around, sun goes down sometimes up everyone playing around, Sun goys down. Sometimes everyone's about four weeks, five weeks.
Speaker 1: That's I mean, I'd be I'd be smelling quite badly after For.
Speaker 2: I'm walking along Brighton Beach and I go always smells of sewers down here and goes are you talking about everything's so nice? I'm like, something's up anyway. There's a bird, absolutely, there's birds all the seagulls just absolutely going at it with this body, and I go, that's kind of be a woin of.
Speaker 1: The show.
Speaker 2: Run there form they sucking out, and I go, come on, get out of you guys, And I like, that's the grimmest best scene you could possibly have painted for me? And too forward in indianther Jones in the last persade pumping away these birds get get away from him and I go, come on, guys, how long has he been here? And goes I was doing I was looking at my phone. I got you got to look up for your phones has been dead for five weeks. We get your limbs and get your things. You have to put you in the coffin. It's more of you than I was expecting. There was a bird's nest in there. There's three birds have made their home in you. Anyway, put you in the coffin. There's no room in there. There's only enough room to slip one DVD into the side for you to take across to the other side. And on the other side, it's movie night every night. What film are you taking to show your people in heaven at the seaside when it's your movie night?
Speaker 1: Peters st So this is a tricky one, but I have gone for Las filmed the Last Detail because it's stitches together lots of different things that we've been talking about. And as much as it was one of those seventies films I saw of my teens that made me think, I didn't know sendemacabill like this, I mean probably it's a It's a beautiful film. It's got that kind of same thing that combers do with a strange tone of being. It's quite sad, it's quite moving, it's funny, it's quite earthy, you know, it's quite down to earth. Prak Nicholson's fantastic in it. And also when I watched with my daughter films that I've loved when I was young, and I wanted her to love them, and I would thought she wouldn't like The Lust Detail because it's quite blokey and you know, foul mouths and it's got a bit of a down ending. And she really loved it, and I thought that's the power of a good film. It's sort of you know, generation to generation still works. He still speaks to us. So yeah, I'm going to go with the Lust Detail. Peter's Johan, thank you so much. For doing this.
Speaker 2: Would you like to tell anyone what to watch look out for? Read coming from you in the coming months.
Speaker 1: It might be a while because which is this year? But Berlin Noir?
Speaker 2: Okay, what would that be on? It'll be on Apple. I've heard of it, Okay, because I told you about it at the beginning. That's why you've heard of it. I you have heard of Apple.
Speaker 1: That's true. Yeah, if you are Apple.
Speaker 2: If people haven't seen Conclave yet, I highly recommended you. I also recommend you see Frank, which I really love. Peter Joan, thank you for doing this. What a lovely time. Good luck being a showrunner. It's really easy and you'll love it.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much. I have a wonderful death. I will stop the recording. Good day to you.
Speaker 2: So that was episode three hundred and forty six. Head over to the Patreon at patreon dot com for his last break Goal was Tamed. For the extra twenty minutes a chat, secrets and video with Peter. Go to Apple Podcast, give us a five star rating and rite about the film. It means the most of you and why it's a lovely thing to really really amas, we really appreciate it. Thank you very much thanks to everyone for listening. Thanks to Peter for giving me his time, thanks to his Gruby's Pippins Distraction, Pieces of Network. Thanks to Buddy Peace for producing it. Thanks to iHeartMedia and Wilfarwol's Big Money Players Network for hosting it. Thanks to Adam Richardson for the graphics and needs to lay them to the photography.
Speaker 1: Come and join me next week for another incredible episode. Thank you for listening, but that's it for now.
Speaker 2: In the meantime, have a lovely week, and please, now more than ever, be excellent to each others.
Speaker 1: Back back by backs as by a contact by bass. Back back backs as by back back back