Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's the final hour on this Tuesday Dan and The Dan EDG. Dan Patrick Show. The Minister of Humor, Fritzie Dylan's in for Seaton for one more day. Marvin Paully, yours truly, Lewis Riddick from the mother Ship. He'll join us coming up and we'll try to make sense of what's happened over the last forty eight hours. And finally, the quarterbacking news we have been waiting to tell you about. Daniel Jones is going to the Colts.
Speaker 3: Hesitator pause for dramatic effect.
Speaker 2: I'm guessing he's going as a backup, but I'm gonna guess Daniel Jones probably thinks this should be an open competition with Anthony Richardson. This might be another chance to be the starter in the NFL. Anthony Richardson kind of hit or miss. He's still young, what twenty two, but Daniel Jones bones is not exactly old. But Daniel Jones feels like he's been around too long, but getting an opportunity after what happened when he got released from the Giants, went to Minnesota, sat there. Now you're going to get a chance to probably compete, Yes, Marvin.
Speaker 4: Early pick for comeback Player of the Year, Daniel Jones.
Speaker 3: You want to take him? You got him? I mean, okay, that's your guy. Go ahead.
Speaker 2: The Eagles have traded their cornerback CJ. Gardner Johnson to the Texans. They got an offensive lineman, Kenyon Green. This according to Ian Rapaport. So this just happened here. But hm, CJ. Gardner Johnson, he's good. So the text, I'm trying to understand what the Texans are doing. They got draft picks Laramie Tunzell went to Washington, and now you get a defensive back and then you trade an offensive lineman. I hope you're getting some offensive considering you gave up the second most sacks in the NFL last year.
Speaker 3: I hope you're.
Speaker 2: Getting some offensive lineman in the draft. You know, you may it may not seem like you had five offensive linemen last year, but you have to have five offensive linemen just for each play. You have to have five offensive linemen, all right, eight seven to seven three DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show.
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 2: If you're watching on Peacock, Thank you for downloading the app. We played the Cooper Flag game last hour. Or had to do with the acc of being Freshman of the Year and also being the player of the year in the ACC. And there have been three other players. All three were at Duke. You had Zion, you had Jalil okafor and Marvin Bagley Junior the third Wow and Cooper Fleck. All right, here's the question, trivia question. And somebody asked me this question over the weekend. The last time a white player was taken number one overall who was born in the United States, so not European number one pick over all in the draft.
Speaker 3: Marvin, I'll start with you.
Speaker 4: I gotta go ways back.
Speaker 5: Bill Walton, right, Paully, I went piece by piece Kent Benson out of Indiana, as my guess, Todd.
Speaker 6: Dan Issel, Okay, I'm going Bill Walton tif all right, it is Kent Benson by the Milwaukee Bucks.
Speaker 3: And that was the year. That was what.
Speaker 2: Let me see, Walton would have been seventy four, Kent Benson might have been seventy seven, correct, seventy seven because they had that was a great team with Scott May Quinn Buckner. The last team to go undefeated. What seventy six Indiana Hoosiers with Bob nine that Kent Benson went to Milwaukee. Probably most famous for getting in a fight with Kareem Abdul Jabbar and Benson. I don't know what happened, what precipitated this, but it looked like Benson elbowed Kareem and then Kareem ended up punching him. Dennis Autry, I believe, is another player who got into a fight with Kareem early in Kareem's career, trying to rough him up.
Speaker 3: Yes, Bully.
Speaker 5: A couple players taken in the seventy seven draft after Kent Benson, which is everybody, by the way, Jack Sikma, Bernard King, New Jersey Nets, Ernie Grunfeld, and some other good player.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So Ernie Grunfeld played with Bernard King of his Ernie and Bernie or Bernie and Ernie at Tennessee. So he had two New York guys who somehow made it to Tennessee.
Speaker 3: Back then. You know, there are.
Speaker 2: Moves now where I'm removed from it. Back then, I didn't think anything of it. When I'm young, I'm like, of course, you know, the best player in New York's going to end up in Los Angeles. That Luel Sindor would leave New York City and he would go out to UCLA, And then all of a sudden you find out that there was a sugar daddy at UCLA who happened to guide some players there for coach Wooden. And then you know Ernie Grunfeld and Bernard King, I believe both. I know Bernard was from New York. I think Ernie was from New York as well. But they ended up in Tennessee. Things that make you go hm now, But back then you're like, oh, wow, they got that guy.
Speaker 4: Yes, Marvin, And it's not even like he was North Carolina. Do Kentucky one of those blue bloods? Yeah, not to Tennessee basketball. But I'm not thinking if I'm a top rated prospect from Brooklyn, I'm going to Knoxville, Tennessee.
Speaker 3: You wouldn't think so.
Speaker 2: But South Carolina used to have this pipeline from New York City players. Frank Maguire when he coached at South Carolina, and this going back a long time, but he would always get New York players to play in South Carolina.
Speaker 3: I don't know what they were offering.
Speaker 2: Back then, Kentucky would always get some Kentucky based players, but then they would get some players where they weren't necessarily from Kentucky. But Kentucky was spending money whether you were local or not. But you know, Kentucky basketball, there's so many great prospects, or at least there used to be that they could just keep them in a house, you know, like Daryl Griffith, doctor Dunkenstein. You know he was from Louisville, Yes, Marvin.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But I think that's the case with most top programs. Kansas is a great program, but I bet a ton of those guys aren't from Kansas in Missouri. They're from all over the country. Chicago to Kansas had a great pipeline. Yeah, it would always be like, who's the best play in Chicago? I don't know, but he's going.
Speaker 3: To Kansas, all right.
Speaker 2: Poll question for the final hour of the program, There, Dylan, where in your is that Tampa Bay Lightning sweater?
Speaker 7: This is actually Tampa Bay Airport sweater. Dan, this has just wrapping the city of Tampa.
Speaker 5: Like the twenty dollars sweatshirts on the way back.
Speaker 3: There's actually two for thirty five.
Speaker 2: I thought that that had to do with Tampa, like Tampa Bay sports team, not just.
Speaker 7: A fan of the city.
Speaker 3: It looks really good, I know.
Speaker 8: For an airport.
Speaker 3: Yeah, junk, not that right. Yeah it looks nice.
Speaker 7: It's got like the college lettering. Yeah, it looks to be University of Tampa.
Speaker 3: Yes it does. It looks very nice. Sorry.
Speaker 2: Poll question for the final hour of the program, Well, we.
Speaker 7: Could switch it up a little bit, Dan with the Garrett Cole situation. Man, I know we touched on it, but would you sign a hard throwing starting pitcher to an ex defensive long term deal?
Speaker 2: No, yes, sir, no, And this isn't revisionist history, and it is a loaded question.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 2: I just can't not the way they pitch now and a power pitcher, I can't it. Just I think it's stupid. And they, you know, the Yankees are going to be without Garrick Cole. Now they may say, hey, you know, we've had some good years with him. Uh, you know, he's been a cy young winner. He won two games in the World Series. But and you're that ten year, two hundred and fifty or three hundred million dollars. I just can't do it. I don't even want to do it with a hitter. I just too many things can go wrong. You know, five years would be my max. Now I might be a terrible GM and out of a job, but I just think there are too many ebbs and flows. There's too many flukey things that can happen, especially a pitcher. What's the what's the content track with Garrett Cole.
Speaker 5: Over the next four years? The New York Yankees old Garrett Cole one hundred and fifty five million dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, okay, that one's not as stupid as gian Carlo Stanton. When they signed him, I go, boy, you desperate because that guy can't play. I mean he can hit a home run, but he can't do anything, can't stay healthy, can't put him in the field. And I think he's injured again to start spring training. How do you get injured going into spring training?
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 5: In seven seasons with the Yankees, Giancarlo gean Carlo Stanton has made one All Star Game whilst making two hundred million dollars. Yeah, and he has another. He's got another one thirty on the way.
Speaker 3: It's terrible stat of whoa, whoa. That's stead of the day stead of the day. Here comes here comes that what stat.
Speaker 6: Of the day?
Speaker 2: Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the DP show Horizon League tonight, Northeast CIA and WCC. They will have tournament bids coming up tonight. Sam Darnold going to Seattle. His thirty five touchdown passes with the Vikings are the most by a player who then changed teams in the.
Speaker 3: Off season, topping blank Paul.
Speaker 2: This guy had the most touchdown passes and then the following season was with another team. Okay, Sam Darnold had thirty five, surpassing this player, Paul Brett Farv No good guess, Marvin Warren Moon, no, Todd.
Speaker 3: Warner, no.
Speaker 7: Dylan Ben Roethlisberger no what near the question eleven was eleven? I tried to do one better than eleven, which is Ben Roethlisberger.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: And he never played for another team, but okay, I mean he played quarterback, though he did, he played.
Speaker 3: I heard was quarterbacks being listed.
Speaker 2: You are, you're repping the back row quite well, you're imitating Fritzie.
Speaker 3: I'm a continuity guy there.
Speaker 2: Okay, here you go. This guy is one of our favorites in a good way, in a bad way. Say hello to Jamis Winston. Everybody. Oh remember he was the thirty thirty club. He had thirty three touchdown passes and thirty interceptions. Someone's catching a test and he went from the Buccaneers to the Saints in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 3: Day day today, This is the style of the day.
Speaker 2: By the way, today is the anniversary of one of the more impactful, revolutionary, controversial, still controversial rules.
Speaker 3: Anybody want to take a guess.
Speaker 2: I don't want to give you the time period, but it is the anniversary of, I believe, the first time that this rule was implemented. If you want to call it a rule, yeah, Pauline, I know I'm wrong the shot clock, You're wrong. It's instant replay. Nineteen eighty six was the first time it was used. Has it been a good thing? Has replay been a good thing?
Speaker 3: Marvin?
Speaker 4: Yes, all except the des Bryn and catch it's been great.
Speaker 2: Okay, Todd, do you think instant replay has been well? Replay has been a good thing, yes, okay, Dylan, don't say.
Speaker 7: Ben Roethlisberger, Ben, Now, I think it's a necessary evil, but it has flaws.
Speaker 5: I'd say it's been mostly bad. It made us litigious sports fans watching from minute to minute.
Speaker 3: You would rather have something that you think you saw.
Speaker 5: If I could go back and do a do over, I would say, no replay m and let it, let it happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I.
Speaker 5: Think I think the majority would go with that.
Speaker 3: You still have to get it right, yeah, but.
Speaker 5: I think people love the human element and they think it'll balance that balance itself out.
Speaker 2: You get a couple, you lose a couple. Yeah, I don't want the human elephant. That might be the human elephant.
Speaker 5: I would say the viewing experience has been hurt because of the delays. It adds drama sometimes and you're like, look at the replay and you're screaming at the TV.
Speaker 4: So that helps to.
Speaker 2: I think it's a I agree, it's a necessary evil. It's entertainment. It's it's impacted a lot of games, a lot of sports. The fact that you know, when we didn't have it, we didn't know what we didn't have, and then you realize it and you're like, how many how many moments in sports history would have been changed if you had replay. Now, everybody's going to go back to the immaculate reception. Instant replay wouldn't have changed. They wouldn't have overruled that the call on the field would have stood because you still can't tell when you watch that. But I think for the most part, it's been a it's been a good ish thing for sports. Be weird to not have replay watching again. Let me get to Andrew and Washington. Then we'll take a break. We'll talk to.
Speaker 3: Let's see Lewis Riddick from the mothership. It's going to stop by.
Speaker 9: Hey, Andrew, good morning, Dan's thanks for taking my call. Just had a little thing on the Lakers. I think leg groin is good for the Lakers. I disagree with Marv. We agree with Paulie. You can't prove a stream growing sort of like a stomach flu, and so it gives him a little bit of rest before the playoff push. I don't think it matters where we go. I think the Lakers will end up in the finals, as far as whatever they're seating is in the playoffs. I do have a NFL draft tied to the face bet with Paulie. We've done this two or three years. My bet if Polly wants to take it is that more running backs will be taken in the first round than quarterbacks. And if there's a tie, we both take a pie.
Speaker 8: All right.
Speaker 2: Right now, it feels like there's two quarterbacks that you can pencil in first round and two running backs right now.
Speaker 3: So Andrew, are you taking running backs?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 9: I think there'll be more running backs than quarterbacks taken in the first round of this year NFL draft.
Speaker 3: All right, Paul, I will take that.
Speaker 5: I think he's riding the wave of running back too high. There may be two. I think someone's gonna jump back into the first round and draft Jackson Dark.
Speaker 2: But just so you know, if you tie I, I goes to the runner. I goes no, Ty goes to the pie. You both get pies. So I have to win to unpie myself.
Speaker 3: Yes you do.
Speaker 2: And by the way, the weather is nice and a front row and a back row guy have pies. I think Friday we should we should do that. Pie equals you two squared. Okay, see what I did with that, Todd very Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 4: Weather permitting.
Speaker 3: Okay, Paul, what's the forecast for Friday?
Speaker 5: You said the over under was forty nine and a half degrees. Yeah, for pie weather. Yes, high a fifty one on Friday. Yes, Yes, it's going to be pie Day. We're gonna do this on pie Dick.
Speaker 3: See if I did. It's a meat a meat pie Dick.
Speaker 2: What Marvin, it's fifty degrees Yeah, I said forty nine and a half.
Speaker 4: That's not warm enough for no podca it is no come on, Oh I'm soft.
Speaker 3: Yes you are.
Speaker 4: Yes, you don't get an argument.
Speaker 3: I'm going a polar plunge. It's a pile to the face. Yes, Dylan, what.
Speaker 7: If Marvin's allowed to sit in his car and crank.
Speaker 5: The heat and he takes the pie and there you would like you'd like to do it nice recovery down.
Speaker 3: Yes, we can do that.
Speaker 2: I'm in all right, So pie to the pie to the face on Friday, Dodd, let's do it. Okay, we'll take a break. We'll talk to Lewis Riddick the mother Ship. More phone calls as well. We're back after this on the Dan Patrick Show. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 10: Hey, Steve Covino, and I'm Rich David, and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 11: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 10: We talk about everything, life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 11: I mean that says something, right, So check us out.
Speaker 10: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 11: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 10: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 11: From five to seven pm Eastern, two to four Pacific.
Speaker 10: And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: I watched a little bit of Yukon women be Creton in the Big East Tournament championship game page Becker's twenty four points. I don't think Paige Becker's ever lost a conference game in her career. I believe she went sixty six and oh against competition in the Big East.
Speaker 3: Marvin, you might check that.
Speaker 2: Being a Yukon Husky fan, I'm gonna check that, right, Yeah, I think she went sixty six and oh against the Big East.
Speaker 3: All Right, more phone calls coming up.
Speaker 2: Lewis Riddick for the Mothership ESPN College Football, NFL analyst and a former front office executive with the Eagles and Washington All right, Instant replay came into our world on this day in nineteen eighty six. Has instant replay been good for sports or bad?
Speaker 8: Look?
Speaker 12: I think it's been both. And I know that sounded like a little bit of a cop out, right. I think you you want to maintain as much of the human element the game as possible. You don't want to slow it down too much. You don't want to have it be a constant barade of replays. But you know what, when there are game changing plays games, I mean, plays that can really just really substantially affect the outcome, and you know that they are blatantly missed. I think that's when replay, when it gets it right in those kinds of situations, I think that's good for the game because I think ultimately that's what we all want. We want to you know, we want the right teams to win by abiding by the rules and the teams to be punished that.
Speaker 8: Don't abide by the rules.
Speaker 12: So it's you're never Dan, I don't think you're ever going to have like one hundred percent consensus of whether or not replay is good good for the game or not, because as soon as you start there's too many replays, people start complaining about the fact that it's slowing down the game, and you know what.
Speaker 8: Just let the refs ref. And then as soon as ref's miss and as soon as the refs miss a call, it's like, which which league.
Speaker 12: Do the ref suck more? Is it an NBA or is it the NFL? Is it the script after these games rigged? Is Grogoral Goodell trying to protect Patrick Mahomes blah blah blah. No one's ever happy. That's kind of like the world we live in right now.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was always bothered it came in as instant replay. Then they changed it to replay because it was an instant So that was one of my big problems. All right, let me you. You worked in two front offices. You worked with the Eagles in Washington. I'm going to put you in the Steelers' front office. Yeah, you decide who's going to be your quarterback Between Russell Wilson Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 12: I would look, I would I would go with with Aaron because I said all along, I believe the organization needs him. He needs this kind of organization. I think at this point in his career. What's my rationale for that? Why do they need him?
Speaker 8: Pittsburgh needs to level up somehow, some way at quarterback. They just do. They have been stuck in this kind of like mid range, mid tier.
Speaker 12: Mode of operating at that position and figured as though Michael Tomlin could coach his way around and the defense could create enough turnovers to get around, that they could run the ball well enough to get around, that they could play renegade enough to where they would create some kind of magic in the stadium and that would be enough.
Speaker 8: And it's not enough.
Speaker 12: They've got to level up somehow, and that's either through veteran, the veteran market, or the draft where they're drafting right now. Is it possible for them to still get someone late in the first round that could wind up helping them at the position. Yeah, I believe that there is. But when we're just talking about free agency, Aaron levels up for them. He just does with his knowledge, which I would. I still think he has left in the gas tank as far as his ability to play the game and how he could help this offense, in particular the passing game become more dynamic. He will need to abide by a much more rigid structure in Pittsburgh and not think that he can come in there and bring in all of his buddies bringing got you there, and pick and pick his offensive coordinator and call the plays that he wants all the time and like basically run the show. He's not running the show and he doesn't really need to at this point, and I wouldn't. I wouldn't entrust him to do that anyway, And Mike's not gonna let him do that, and Arthur Smith's not gonna let him do that. So I think he needs to just focus on playing ball, coming back the second year off of this Achilles and actually going out the way he wants to go out and have people look at him the way he wants people to look at him. Pittsburgh needs the level up. So yeah, I think it's a I think it's a good combination on the surface. Now, we don't know how Mike feels about that. We don't know how Arthur Smith feels about that. We don't know how DK Metcalf and George Pickens are going to react Aaron Rodgers getting in their rear.
Speaker 8: End about not doing things the right way.
Speaker 12: There's a lot of things that still would have to be worked out, but that's that's the same thing is true with every free agent transaction.
Speaker 8: There's always going to be things to work out.
Speaker 2: But then, does Russ in the Game of Musical Chairs end up with the Giants?
Speaker 8: Probably? He probably does.
Speaker 12: And you know what I think, Look, I think both of these guys at this point in time in their career are bridge players. It's just a matter of whether or not that's a one year bridge or a multiple year bridge. In Pittsburgh, it could be a multiple year bridge for Aaron because they don't have a they're not really in position to get what we would term as a surefire long term solution given where they're drafting. So he may be going into he can be possibly going into a situation there where he could extend this thing to two, maybe.
Speaker 8: Three years, if he wanted to play that long.
Speaker 12: If you're in, if you're in New York, you know for sure, Russell Wilson, that being Russell Wilson knows for sure that as soon as he walks in there, he's already on the clock. They're already thinking about what the next option is. Then it may be this year, who knows, but they may think, Hey, you know what, we'll sit pat, We'll play with Russ for a year, We'll draft Travis Spunter.
Speaker 8: Maybe we'll move down, who knows.
Speaker 12: Maybe we'll accumulate some more picks and continue to try and build out this roster, which is you know what, I'll tell you what I know. It sounds like I'm gonna be ranting here a little bit, but that that's probably one of the most annoying things for me to hear at this time of year, all the times.
Speaker 8: Let's trade down and get more picks.
Speaker 12: And build up the roster, and then just plug in the quarterback like you need to pick one off of my grandma's cherry tree and plug him in there. But that may be what they're thinking. I don't know if I'm Joe Shane right now, though I'm Brian Daball. I'm thinking I need to win some games, man, and I need to win.
Speaker 8: Them this year.
Speaker 12: So that's what makes this time of year so fun to see how these teams ultimately wind up constructing the roster, who they getting, and how it pans out.
Speaker 8: In New York.
Speaker 12: There's gonna be no team you talk about more next year than the Giants, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: And we have a bet on the show the uh will there be more running backs than quarterbacks?
Speaker 3: Taken in the first.
Speaker 8: Guys talking about that?
Speaker 3: All right, that's a good one. What do you think I.
Speaker 8: Think it will be running backs?
Speaker 12: Months ago of GM who I respect, A Ton said, look, this is the best year I've seen for running backs since I've been a general manager. He's been a general manager for a little bit now, and he's someone who really does do a good job of evalue waiting that position in particular. And I agree, I've seen a bunch of these guys in person this year, and when you start watching the tape, you have guys who are big, strong, powerful dudes, and you've got some guys who are kind of like Jamier Gives. I don't want to say scatback type dudes, but guys were real electric in terms of their ability to stop starting go seventy eighty on you. And even the big dudes can do that. I mean, you look at a Marion Hampton, you start thinking Joe Mixon. I mean, I'm sitting there watching him, and I'm going, Damn, is that Joe Mixon in a North Carolina uniform? And then you look at Ashton and I'm telling you people, you know, people think I'm crazy.
Speaker 8: I'm going, that's EMITTT. Smith with better speed. That's what it is. That's what that is.
Speaker 12: Now watch Brashard Smith from SMU. I'm sitting there going, if that ain't Engineer Gibbs, I don't know who is. There's all kinds, man, there's all kinds. And if you need if you're if you need it back this year, I mean you may not take him in the top ten, top fifteen, although I think Ashton deserves to.
Speaker 8: Go that high.
Speaker 12: I think you will see This will be a heavy year for backs going in the first round, top of a second for sure, and once that run starts, there's gonna be people just picking them off.
Speaker 8: For sure.
Speaker 2: Lewis Riddick part of ESPN's ongoing NFL free agent coverage. You can catch him with Adam Schefter and more today on ESPN from three until five. You're sold on cam Ward going as the number one, number one quarterback? Are you sold that Shador Sanders is a first round quarterback?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 12: I am top fifteen, he's a top half of the first round.
Speaker 8: Okay, he's a top half.
Speaker 2: But where where is this negativity coming from? And I like it's on the field and then a little bit off the field with how he interviewed with one coach at the combine, it feels like it was a smear campaign because once it happened that all of a sudden, it's boom, everybody kind of jumped on this.
Speaker 12: Why of course, Look, they've been trying to people have been at this game, so to speak, of trying to talk certain prospects down for years.
Speaker 8: Dion is a lightning rod. That's where it starts. It doesn't even start with Shador.
Speaker 12: This is about this starts with his father, and then it just trickles down to him, and it starts with his father. It's been that way since I played with Deon back in nineteen ninety two in Atlanta. People don't like flashy guys like that who can back it up.
Speaker 8: They just don't. They don't like people who are strong, confident.
Speaker 12: There you know, it's funny, like we love it, but then with some people we don't. Let With Dion, he's always been a polarizing player to the people.
Speaker 8: Who don't know him.
Speaker 12: If you know him personally, you would be like, I get it and I love it, Give me.
Speaker 8: More of it. With Shador, he has some of his father in him. There's no question. How could he not. He's the man.
Speaker 12: I mean, he's the man's son, and so a lot of it comes from who he is and what his last name is. Now, as far as him individually, why do they pick at him on the field.
Speaker 8: Does he have cam Ward's arm?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 12: Do you need cam Ward's arm? Do you need John Elway's arm? Do you need Josh Allen's arm in order to play high level winning football in the NFL. No, But at this time of year, we always fall back to those baseline, those baseline levels in terms of like evaluating quarterbacks and saying, well, if you don't have a rocket army, you can't play. If you don't run for like Lamar and can create outside of structure and throw the ball and switch it to your left hand like Patrick Mahomes, you can't play.
Speaker 8: You're either a.
Speaker 12: Hall of Famer or you suck. And that's what it always comes down to this time of your quarterbacks. There is no in between, and that quite honestly, I think that that discussion stems from the fact that I don't know if people really ever know what the hell they really think about quarterbacks because it's such a dependent position and it's so hard to get your arms around it.
Speaker 8: Shador is very smart. He can process like hell.
Speaker 12: He's a good leader, he's got good feet in the pocket, he throws a great ball, he has a lot of anticipation.
Speaker 8: And he's tough as hell. He got the crap bait at him in at Colorado.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I was at games and calling games where I'm sitting there looking at Dion, who is like pleading with this on throw the ball away, or pleading with offensive coordinator, run the ball. My son's getting murdered out here. He'll be fine.
Speaker 3: They'll be just Daniel Jones just signed with the Colts.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Is he going in thinking he gets to compete for that job?
Speaker 8: There's no question.
Speaker 12: I mean, why else would you switch teams at this point considering what you have in Minnesota in terms of the weapons that they have, the coaching staff. And I'm not taking anything away from Shane Stichen because a lot of respect for shame. Daniel Jones is looking for an opportunity to really compete, to play, and you're not going to tell me otherwise that The people in Indianapolis didn't tell him that you are going to have a chance to compete. We want somebody to push Anthony and if you beat him out, you beat him out, simple as that. That isn't happening in Minnesota. They are trying to get JJ ready to play this year. They're not going to force it, but they're trying to get him ready to play. The way he looked the last offseason and the way he looked in the first preseason game against the Raiders told you this kid's developmental arc is going to go straight up. There's a reason why they drafted him tenth. Overall, it reminds me a little bit of the way Kansas City was trying to bring along Patrick when they had Alex Smith there. The only thing that derailed things is that he got hurt, is that JJ got hurt. Daniel knows that he was there every day. He knows how they feel about him. He knows he doesn't really have a chance to start there. If JJ's kne's fine, it's over. That's why he went to Indy. And if I'm Anthony Richardson right now, what I'm really interested to see is how he responds Dan to this.
Speaker 8: How does he respond? It's gonna be I hate it for the kid.
Speaker 12: It's gonna be so hard for him to ever shake the stigma that's gonna follow him, the story that's gonna follow him because of that one decision he made down there in Houston.
Speaker 3: How many years did you play defensive back?
Speaker 8: Seven? Okay? How many?
Speaker 2: Give me the number of quarterbacks that actually made you nervous. I don't want to stay scared.
Speaker 3: You can say scared. Who scared you? When you go, oh my god, we're playing him.
Speaker 8: John Elway.
Speaker 12: Because he had ted with him, had Rod Smith had shining sharp offensive line had Tom Nalan, Mark Schlair, Dan neil Tony Jones, and that that play action passing game was just so ridiculously good. That was a year the TV went for two thousand and it was just like as a safety, I was like, I know, I got to get up here and support this run because when this guy starts going downhill, it's over. And these linemen start getting up on it's over. And I did that one time early in the game in l Way pulled that thing out of there and launched it. And I'm telling you, in mid play, you can tell I can tell you. You can already guess the words that were coming out of my mouth. Oh oh yeah, all of them, f words everything.
Speaker 8: The thing.
Speaker 12: The only thing that saved me, honestly was Charles Woodson was the corner and he broke the play up and I remember jogging back to the huddle and I was like, and he was like, hey, you know, but yeah, l Way Marino, I got to play against Danny when he was uh, when he had Mark Duper and Mark Clayton and Keith Jackson and those guys down in Miami. He came out first play of the game. He comes out and you stand there at the line and he looks at me and he winked, and I went, what does that mean?
Speaker 8: Does he mean? Does that mean I found my guy? What does that mean? You know, hail the Pitt?
Speaker 11: What does that mean?
Speaker 8: Man? So yeah, those dudes were Steve.
Speaker 12: Oh you know what I would be It would be disrespectful for me to dismiss Steve Young Steve when he was when they were in San Francisco, I played against him when I was in when I was in Atlanta, and when I was in Cleveland. They had it rolling at that time, Dan, I mean, they had it rolling. Steve was so mobile and so fast, and Brent Jones was so crappy, and they had Jerry and they had John Taylor and Ricky Waters and I mean it was a come on, this isn't fair. It's not fair. So yeah, I got to play against some great ones.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 12: I mean so much respect for those guys. Were you literally were like I can't make a mistake.
Speaker 8: I can't.
Speaker 12: And even if you and even if you were perfect, sometimes it just didn't matter.
Speaker 3: Always great to spend time.
Speaker 2: I know it's a busy time for you, but thanks for carving out of course, a few minutes, Buddy always man.
Speaker 8: Thanks.
Speaker 2: That's Lewis Riddick of the Mothership NFL Free Agency coverage on ESPN. That'll be later today from three until five. We'll take a break. Last call for phone calls, what we learn, what's in store for tomorrow.
Speaker 1: After this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern, six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP. Last call for phone calls, What we learned, what's in store tomorrow?
Speaker 3: All of that.
Speaker 2: On the way, DraftKings has the updated Super Bowl odds. It is the Eagles the favorites, followed by Chiefs, Bills.
Speaker 3: And Ravens, and then the Lions.
Speaker 2: So Eagles be a slight favorite over the Chiefs, Bills, and Ravens and the Lions according to DraftKings. By the way, I'm looking at the Sam Donald contract. The real value is the guaranteed money. It's fifty five million, So essentially Seattle was committed to Sam Donald for two years, an average of twenty seven and a half million per year. Very reasonable and today's you know, quarterback market, that's very reasonable. And I think Sam Donald realized if I want to continue to be a starter in the NFL. I have to temper the expectation, financial expectations.
Speaker 3: I might have.
Speaker 2: Daniel Jones signed a one year deal for fourteen million dollars with the Colts.
Speaker 3: That doesn't feel backup.
Speaker 2: If fourteen million dollars, I think he's going in there thinking I have a real chance to be the starting quarterback here.
Speaker 3: But that just happened.
Speaker 2: Also took another option off the table for Aaron Rodgers, even though we hadn't heard much about the Colts. With Aaron Rodgers, feels like it's Pittsburgh unless they don't want him, and then it would probably be the Giants. Let me see, how about this day in sports history? I gave you one earlier nineteen eighty six. The NFL adopts instant replay. What else do you have?
Speaker 3: PAULI?
Speaker 5: Eighteen ninety two, the first organized women's basketball game was played at Smith College between students and faculty members. I do not have the score. I've been looking for it. Nineteen seventy nine. I've never heard of this guy. Randy Holt of the La Kings was penalized nine times for sixty seven minutes in the first period of a game against the Philadelphia Flyers. That's first period. That's a record nineteen ninety. You know, looking back, this seems a little haphazard. Thirteen year old Jennifer Capriotti played her first tennis match the way that the fifteen.
Speaker 2: Thirteen seem pretty much, and she was on the cover of Sports Illustrated.
Speaker 5: And then that's it.
Speaker 3: Today?
Speaker 2: Is she the youngest athlete to ever appear on the cover Sports Illustrator at thirteen? Because I'm trying to think, and you would, boy, and if you're the magazine and you're the editor, do you want to put somebody on? Who's that young? Tracy Austin was really young? Was Freddie Adou on the cover of Sports Illustrated checking soccer player? I think he was fifteen? You got Lebron Bryce Harper. I think Jennifer Capriotti was thirteen when she was on the cover.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I've got a bunch of high school kids like Bryce Harper and different NBA players that were in high school. I'm trying to find someone younger than Caprioti.
Speaker 4: Thirteen. Wow?
Speaker 2: Okay, uh, Larry and ours hi Larry?
Speaker 3: What's on your mind today?
Speaker 13: DP?
Speaker 3: How are you great?
Speaker 8: Good? Well? Thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 14: My question is about Schador Sanders Lewis touched on it just a little bit. But the fact is that with Dion being the dad, how will this impact anybody looking to draft him? Would that be a plus a negative? And you know in difference, I just have a feeling that with Dion being there, there's going to be some teams that may steer away just because of his big personality. And just curious about your thoughts.
Speaker 3: I just want to know if he can play, that's it.
Speaker 2: If it's a detrimental type of personality, then okay, then we have a conversation here. If he's bold, confident, cocky, but he can play. I don't want to pass up on somebody. I just I think sometimes, you know, we get caught up in silly things. What's his hand size? You know, even forty yard day? I just want to can you play football? And you know, the pedigree is there. He's not the athlete his dad is, so there's there are negatives there. And as I pointed out, I put him third on my Heisman ballot because he's tough and he hung in there and that you know, and I watched a lot of his games, not highlights games. But you know that's different. That's college. That's what the ward is voted on. And I'm looking at the NFL. He's not you know what, six'. One he's not going to elude, you DO i think he throws a good. Ball, YEAH i, Guess BUT i you, know does he know how to check at the line of? Scrimmage does he? Process like these are things that are? Big that's WHAT i want to. Know you get the line of? Scrimmage do you know what you're?
Speaker 3: Doing that's. It the other.
Speaker 2: STUFF i don't want to pass up on a on a talent just because oh he comes off a Cocky chuck And. Dayton, Hi, chuck what's on your?
Speaker 8: Mind?
Speaker 14: Hey how are you?
Speaker 13: Today i'm glad you're taking my.
Speaker 9: Call i'll make it.
Speaker 3: Quick of your hold?
Speaker 13: Music is That Doc severnson and The Johnny Carson.
Speaker 2: BAND i don't. KNOW i haven't been on, hold but, uh all, right that'd be kind of weird IF i was on a hold on my own. Show But i'll check that.
Speaker 13: Out, chuck all, Right so my question is sponsored by Tire. Rack if you had The if you had the, picture the five of the most famous sports photos who would you? Pick i've got Three the eighty Six masters With Jack, nicholas The alley fight when he's standing Over Sady liston And, bobby or scoring.
Speaker 3: The, goal what other? Thing those are?
Speaker 8: Great?
Speaker 2: Yeah ollie in the ninety Six olympics when he's lighting the uh the flame the urn there or whatever it.
Speaker 3: Was that was pretty. Dramatic, Yeah Marvin.
Speaker 4: Jordan's last shot against The Utah jazz in ninety.
Speaker 3: Eight, yeah that's, Great, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Pauli the youngest person on THE si cover Besides capriotti was a gymnast Named Christy, phillips The New mary Lou september, one nineteen eighty.
Speaker 3: Six how old was?
Speaker 5: SHE i have her at fourteen when she was on the, Cover, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Todd would you learn?
Speaker 4: Today Bruce pearl says he's been mistaken in the pat for The Incredible Hulklue, Ferrigno Greg brady From The Brady, bunch.
Speaker 3: And on a good, Day Tom, Jones, dylan would you learn?
Speaker 4: Today Ben, Roethlisberger Harvin paulie is against the?
Speaker 3: Replay paul would you? Learn get off my?
Speaker 2: Lune thank, you thanks for the phone, calls, emails. Tweets we'll talk to you, Tomorrow dan and The Dan euts