Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: One hundred and twenty six million people in the United States watch the Super Bowl. That is a new Super Bowl viewing record, And I'm wondering about this. You know, there was going to be Chiefs fatigue. No, nobody wants to have the Chiefs back in the Super Bowl. I don't know how many people watch because they wanted to watch the Chiefs lose. But they do have star power. You do have star power with your quarterback, with your tight end. You have a great coach and Andy Reid. You have the Taylor Swift factor. Although I think they only showed her once or twice on TV. The over under was five and a half and they cut back greatly on that. But maybe you tuned in to watch them lose. Maybe people stayed tuned in because they wanted to see just how bad they would lose.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's hard for me to believe that.
Speaker 2: People go, boy, I'm rooting for the Eagles just outside of Philadelphia. I don't see that happening, but I do see America going. Okay, let me just tune in to see it. Oh they're losing. Oh they're down seventeen this is awesome, and then all of a sudden the misery starts to set in and the Eagles, Oh, by the way, that might be one of those where we remember the Chiefs losing maybe more than we do the Eagles winning, because it was about a three peat.
Speaker 3: It's about Mahomes.
Speaker 2: He's going to be the goat, Andy Reid, he's approaching Bill Belichick. Does Kelsey get engaged right after the game? You know, there was so much involved in it that Oh, by the way, that Eagles defense was great, and you could put them in, you know, the conversation, and it's a small group of best defensive performances in Super Bowl history. If I'm the Chiefs or I'm the Eagles, when I get my Super Bowl ring, I think I put the score forty to six. I think they got some oh by the way, touchdown that doesn't really count. We beat them forty to six. It's okay, Yeah, it's your ring. Be snarky there a little bit, as Philadelphia fans have been known to be. But instead of putting the score of forty to twenty two, which it doesn't feel that way, but you know what, speaking of the Super Bowl, let's go back and look at Super Bowl since two thousand. How many of these do we really remember? And why do we remember them? Two thousand Saint Louis the then Saint Louis Rams beat Tennessee, and we remember that because that was the Mike Jones play down at the one yard line. Ooh right, the Gravandison Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Two thousand and one, Baltimore in one of the great defensive performances, blew out the Giants. I don't know if anybody remembers anything from that other than the Giants in the Super Bowl, and they weren't any good certainly that day New England against Saint Louis two thousand and two. I don't know what you remember from the game other than that was Tom Brady's coming out party, and that's when John Madden famously said, hey, they should be playing for overtime. And that's when we saw Tom Brady. He was born right there in front of us. They were going for the game winning field goal, which they got. Two thousand and three, Tampa Bay with John Gruden beat John Gruden's Oakland Raiders forty eight to twenty one, and that's when the Raiders said, well, Gruden knew all of our plays that maybe they didn't change things up their audibles and they played like they knew what Oakland was going to do in that game.
Speaker 4: Yes, PAULI was that the Dexter Jackson game defensive back. Yeah, and then he signed a big contract.
Speaker 3: Yeah. A couple interceptions there.
Speaker 4: It's like you can remember one or two things from every.
Speaker 2: Game that but that had Jerry Rice in that game, rich Gannon, I think was MVP two thousand and four New England against Carolina. Do you remember that for the halftime show? Wasn't that Janet Jackson? Miss Jackson if You're nasty? So that was New England over Carolina thirty two to twenty nine. Adam Vini Terry with another game winning kick. The quarterback for Carolina was Paul Jake del Holme, Hey Dell Homie. Okay, New England over Philadelphia in Jacksonville.
Speaker 3: What do you remember about that? Now? I know what I remember.
Speaker 2: And I actually had to have security with me when I was doing Sports Center because I asked, who was it, fred the wide receiver, Freddie Mitchell, fred X And I said he was talking about the defensive backs for the Patriots, And I said he was talking their numbers. I said, do you know their names? And he didn't know their names? And that was a really good second dary for you know, ty law Rodney Harrison, probably Lawyer Maloy in there.
Speaker 3: And I remember that when that came out, and that.
Speaker 2: Was a big deal during Super Bowl Week, and I remember whenever Philly fans who were not pleased with me because all I did was say do you know who those players are? And Fred didn't know their names. So I remember that twenty four to twenty one. I think Rodney Harrison had an interception at the end of that game, Pittsburgh against Seattle two thousand and six. What do you remember, Ben Roethlisberger, Mike Holmgren, Willie Parker, Willie Parker. Okay, wow, yeah, I didn't remember that. Hassel Beck Matt Hasselbeck. Yes, Ton, I remember.
Speaker 5: There was a kind of a big deal that Bettis was winning in his hometown of Detroit, not so much something in the game, but just on the outskirts of it.
Speaker 6: That was kind of a homecoming to win it.
Speaker 2: There was cool for Jodhyamp Indianapolis over Chicago twenty nine to seventeen.
Speaker 4: Yes, Paul, that was a no show Super Bowl by the Bears, but Devin Hester returned the opening kickoff for some false.
Speaker 2: Hope and Tony Dungee swore that he was not going to kick to Devon Hester. At the last minute, decide to kick to Devin Hester and he ran it back. The Giants over New England two thousand and eight. That was when they were going to be undefeated, and the Giants beat them seventeen fourteen. Pittsburgh over Arizona twenty seven to twenty three. That was That's one of the great Super Bowls I've ever witnessed, whether I'm watching on TV or in person. Happened to be there. But so many big plays, so many big moments. It was just wonderful. James Harrison at the end of the first half. Ben at the end of the game, Larry Fitzgerald. We thought he was going to get the game winning touchdown. The Arizona Cardinals were going to win the Super Bowl. New Orleans over Indianapolis. I'm gonna say onside kick Eckenham Sean Payton probably the last on side kick in Super Bowl history. Green Bay over Pittsburgh in twenty eleven, thirty one, twenty five Desmond, Oh no, not Desmond Howard.
Speaker 5: Yes, Marvin, I thought me personally that was gonna that was the start of the next dynasty with Green Bay Young Aaron Rodgers, Aaron Rodgers maybe twenty five at that point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but what do you remember from that game?
Speaker 5: I'm blinking, yeah, yeah, twenty twelve Giants over New England twenty one seventeen.
Speaker 3: What do you remember from that one, Marvin?
Speaker 5: The Manningham catch, Yeah, that was the most perfectest throw ever, perfectest.
Speaker 2: I don't think Eli Gett it's enough credit for that throw because when you say, oh, Eli Manning, oh the helmet catch, well, that's about the catch. The throw was great too. That throw is one of the greatest clutch throws in NFL history, and I don't think it gets enough attention there. But Manningham down the sidelines and it was perfectly placed. Baltimore thirty four, San Francisco thirty one. That was twenty thirteen. That was when the power outage, the lights went out, and it was Harball versus Harball, Seattle over Denver forty three to eight.
Speaker 5: Hey Todd looked first player of the game of both snapped over Manning's head.
Speaker 3: It just is not a good sign Wow, that one was rough?
Speaker 5: Is that Percy Harvin returned one?
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't remember that. I just know that the legion of Boone was Boom was unbelievable. Peyton didn't have a chance. Yes, is that the episode.
Speaker 6: Earliest you can get a bad feeling about him? Team super Bowl?
Speaker 5: On the very first play for the boy to get snapped over your head into the end zone.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I guess, except for didn't Aaron Roddy Andrews come out pre game with the flag upside down?
Speaker 3: Like they screwed up that?
Speaker 2: Like that's a bad sign when you go, h, I think they screwed up him bringing out the American flag. Let's see Denver over Carolina. That was von Miller, von Miller's strip sack New England over at Yeah at thirty four twenty eight. We know we all remember that when I don't know where that rank's most memorable. But if you say, hey, New England against Atlanta twenty eight to three, comes out of your mouth, Yeah, Paul, that.
Speaker 4: Game comes on NFL network sometimes and I'll stop what I'm doing. I hate to do this the Falcons fans, but the Falcons have the ball with five minutes to go in the third quarter, and it's bone dry, the crowds dry, the announcers are dry, and the game feels like it's being played out. And then they didn't get the first down and then it was like a warma bees attacked their team.
Speaker 2: Do you had Philadelphia in twenty eighteen? That's Nick Foles beating New England. New England didn't punt, but that was back and forth. That was a lot of fun. Brady threw for five hundred yards and lost Brandon Graham at the end of the game with the sack. But Philadelphia the Philly Special. This is one of the worst ones ever. Twenty nineteen, New England thirteen the Rams three.
Speaker 3: Terrible.
Speaker 2: I don't remember anything from that game. Now, Marvin, you might remind me of something there. Here's another thing out of all of these games that I'm mentioning. How many times do you remember what the quarterback did in that game? Because we're going to remember Patrick Mahomes. His quarterback rating was ten in the first half against Tampa Bay. He got roughed up too, but in fairness to him, how many I don't know what Tom Brady did in that game.
Speaker 3: To three against the Rams.
Speaker 4: Yes, Paul Brady had two sixty two no touchdowns and a pick.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Generic, they had to give the MVP to someone, and they gave it to Edelman for his twelve catches.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty Kansas City over San Francisco thirty one to twenty twenty twenty one, Tampa Bay thirty one Kansas City nine. I just remember that defense was awesome in that game. Twenty twenty two. It was the Rams in Cincinnati and it was Aaron Donald with the sack. Odell Beckham Junior the third looked like he was on his way to being the MVP.
Speaker 3: Got hurt.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty three. Kansas City over Philadelphia thirty eight thirty five. What do you remember from that? Thirty eight thirty five?
Speaker 5: Marvin one of the better performances in a losing effort, though Jalen Hurts is probably the best player in that game.
Speaker 3: Jalen Hurts.
Speaker 2: If I look at his performances in the two super I mean, you're hard pressed to come up with two better performances by one quarterback. Kansas City in twenty twenty four beat San Francisco twenty five, twenty two, and that was Mahomes. The last drive with the touchdown past two Marvin Hardman, Yeah, bloop bloop. And then you had Philadelphia against Kansas City forty to twenty two. What will we remember from this game? I'll let you guys think about that. We'll take a break. We'll come up with a poll question here. But a lot of times we get so caught up, we're ready for the super Bowl. We talk about the super Bowl, the Super Bowl ends, and then we forget. Sometimes I'll go who was in the Super Bowl last year? It's just like it just goes by so quickly.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 7: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 8: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 7: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 8: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 7: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world. Of sports and pop culture stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 8: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right. So check us out.
Speaker 7: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planet Earth. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific.
Speaker 8: And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: We've enjoyed the insights of Steve Young, one of the smartest football minds that I know, Hall of Famer, three times Super Bowl champ. Wanted to tap in one more time before we said goodbye to this season. Steve kind enough to join us once again. What will you take away from this Super Bowl? If I said there's one memory, ten years from now, you're going to think about what with this Super Bowl?
Speaker 6: Well, there's the three peat the chance to be a three p which we tried in the late eighties and the early nineties failed. And to see the emotional bankruptcy that the Chiefs showed up with, especially offensively, with that on the line, with like history on the line, it kind of feels like the Patriots when they played the Giants in two thousand and eight when they had the undefeated season. You're like, you're gonna go down as the greatest team, the greatest team that ever played. Possibly you could just you can make that argument. And to come out and emotionally lay it so flat was just shocking.
Speaker 2: I didn't understand the play calling here. You of course played the position a quarterback, but it felt like they were doing this same thing and didn't make any adjustments.
Speaker 3: What adjustments should they have made?
Speaker 6: Well, I think the problem was is that I'm sure Andy was coach Reiders probably scratching his heads like wait a second, like I'm calling some plays here and like to have no options. And then Patrick, essentially you know, you go down early. The Chiefs have done that before, go down ten nothing, It's like, okay, we'll hang around, everything will be fine. Then Patrick gives up fourteen points like that and that's where it all turned. And so like those first three or four drives, Yeah, you know, I should play you know three and out come up with something better than that. Everyone should take, you know, Andy should take some of that blame. Everyone should take the blame. It just felt like emotionally, when you have four guys in the game today. We talked about this every time we get on about how games change. The defense is really put under the gun. They can't rule the they can't rule like they used to. And so the low four guys, not five or six, no blitz. I don't think it blitzed one time in forty two snaps. There's just and there was nothing the threat and other than four guys just pounding you in the submission, four guys in the NFL today, defensive line should not be able at any circumstance to put you in that kind of a mind. And so to me, that's just an emotional readiness to go fight, and that they didn't have obviously the offensive line and then obviously play calling everything, everything kind of just ping Haywire.
Speaker 2: I thought that they would at least try to run Philadelphia was using Saquon Barkley.
Speaker 3: They weren't getting yards, but he had twenty five carries.
Speaker 6: You look back and when you want to establish something, especially when you can't block four guys. Yeah, I mean that's pretty obvious Dan, that they the first three series got nothing, and you know, I think they were trying to In my mind, I think that they felt like the Eagles were going to score thirty and so that you got to keep up and wanted to start that way. I can't really go against especially play call Andy Reid, like he's always got something in his pocket. He's always got some cool play when it really matters, and so so you know, to open the game and kind of fall flat on your face is super unusual.
Speaker 2: Is this just a bad night or is there something maybe more systemic to this?
Speaker 3: Moving forward?
Speaker 6: Well, that defense is ready to play. That defense is ready to you know, I think they came and there's four or five series, they're just like, look, give us some help. And I think that for whatever reason, I don't I how can it be systemic? You got one of the great innovative play callers in the history of the game, you got one of the great quarterbacks in the game. You're gonna have to read tools. People can you know, continue to age. But there's no reason to think that what we saw at Super Bowl Sunday was even close to anything they don't want to ever do again, Like please tell me you're gonna wash your hands and move on, because that was that was not that was terrible.
Speaker 2: And I guess that we can kind of tamp down the mahomes Is on Tom Brady's heels, his greatest quarterback of all time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that would have been. Yeah, the talk would have been super hot, and probably for good reason because he's got four already headed for who knows how many. You still got to figure that the AFC, with with the weapons that they have at quarterback that I said a few years ago, they're gonna trade Joe Burrow, Josh Allen and he are going to trade super Bowls for the next ten years. So far it's just been Patrick, but until for the nose, you got to figure that Patrick's gonna be in the mix.
Speaker 2: Talking to Steve Young, the three times Super Bowl champ, what's it like to go to the line of scrimmage and maybe you didn't feel this, but go to line of scrimmage knowing they're coming after you and they're getting there a whole lot more often and quicker than you thought they were going to.
Speaker 6: But see the theme. Patrick has dealt with this before. I mean, he's the guy that has an answer. He's mature to a point where he doesn't have to look far downfield. It felt like he would. He just he was looking for something great or amazing or super you know, like the Superman stuff of his early days. Would really just drop it off, get it out, blitz coverage, you know, I mean, drop off the outlet like it, just like it felt like. And then also they kept getting in third and long jams every time, you like it was third and eighteen third and like, you can't play ball that way.
Speaker 2: But Brady talked about his footwork. He kept talking about how Patrick was uncomfortable. He kept looking at his footwork in the pocket.
Speaker 6: I agree with it. I think that his response felt it felt like the Bucks game the super Bowl a few years ago, where just look, we understand your under siege. We get it, but like, no, it doesn't have to go down that way. You get it, you have an answer. I mean, you're Patrick Mahomes come up with an answer, and that just and then when he did, that's when he threw the pick six, then he did and he got hit and through the next pick and all of a sudden, it's twenty four to nothing, and uh, you've just you put yourself in the you know, I'll bide, you can't get out of it.
Speaker 2: And also you know this because well you're on the winning side of it. But when things happen, the mistakes metastasize because it's the Super Bowl, like there's no tomorrow. Everything is so important, and you know if you don't score here and then the next time you press a little bit more. And it felt like that that it just that's why we used to have these blowouts in the Super Bowl. It felt like, man, it's just on a roll and you can't stop it.
Speaker 6: Stop it. Well, Championship football, unlike baseball, basketball, seven game series. We've talked about all the time, it happens in a series and the really, really sophisticated, mature teams recognize that and don't waste a down in championship football. And the Chiefs have gotten away with wasting a lot of downs in championsip football and still figured it out. You can make a case for the Chiefs being zero to five in Super Bowls. It's like within a whisker, two of the forty nine ers, another one with the Eagles the first time. So like they ride the rail and they've come through so many times and here all of a sudden, it just got away from them. They were down ten to nothing. They probably felt like, oh, yeah, we've been here before, we get this. We're in a little bit of a season. And that that's when when when he threw the pick six, that's when things turned haywire.
Speaker 2: I there wasn't social media when you guys were going for a three peat, but was America tired of the forty nine ers?
Speaker 6: Everyone gets like the Yankees back in the day or the Patriots for those years, like they people like to see new people. And I don't know if that's actually truly it's just a theme, but we've got to I mean, we've got to recognize them. So, especially in today's commoditized NFL, you can stay on top today, that's a heck of a thing because everything about the game is pressing you back to the median and you're getting I'm gonna stay elite. So it's shocking in today's game that people can stay on top. But it's what's amazing is as much as they try to commoditize it all, there's still ten teams that you're going to see every year because they're so well run. They have the quarterbacks that matter today, the guys that can run. Even with Jalen Hurts, you know, his legs made the game. As with every championship game into the future, will matter. The quarterback's legs will decide the game. And it happened again.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you a couple other topics outside of the super Bowl. Tennessee's on the clock and maybe Travis Hunter, two way player with Colorado. Dion, was on the show on Friday and he says he sees him playing both offense and defense, and it feels like he can be an all pro cornerback type talent. I don't know if you he seems a little rough as far as a wide receiver. You can get away with that in college, I don't know if you can in the NFL. Could you see Tennessee, let's say they take him using him both ways.
Speaker 6: You'd have to You can't. One thing's for sure. You can't play all pro corner without locking it down, like you can't be messing around now. Dion did what I think you could think Travis could do, which is, look, I'm going to be a shutdown all pro corner and I can run some routes. I can come in and do a couple of things. I can set up in the slot and do some cool stuff. But not full time, no way. I just the game is the two demanding athletically that you know to to put and he plays on offense and he plays on defense. It's just asking too much. And I don't think you can if he's gonna be a full time receiver and then go toy at corner. That doesn't work. You know, you know that you can't just go like, oh yeah, they kept a couple of plays at corner, You're gonna get yourself roasted.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: I would have him play majority of the plays at corner and then sprinkle sprinkle the.
Speaker 6: Play off break playof pro corner. And yes, I think Dean did that with us with the forty nine ers for the year, and then he did it before, like line up, have some cool routes and do it every once in a while, be fine, red zone kind of cool stuff.
Speaker 2: You know, But how often did he say I want to play offense when he was with you guys.
Speaker 6: The super Bowl, hey Man's super Bowl. Let me run he did. He ran a couple of routes in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: So so he does he go to you and say I want to play or does he go to coach?
Speaker 6: He lets you know one thing about Diane, he he never wondered. He never wondered how he felt, what he was thinking. Remember I told you the time Dan when he's like he pulled me aside, said Steve, look, I'm a marketing magician. There's two parade.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: There's there. I'm gonna be the greatest work ethic have you ever seen. I'm gonna be ready for every game. But then I have this other parade that you're gonna watch. Get some popcorn and enjoy it. And I really did. He was an amazing athlete, I mean an amazing teammate. He worked harder than everybody, and then he had this other parade that he did that you know, he navigated. It was a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: What was it like to face him? Though?
Speaker 6: He was one of the rare courts. I would imagine playing Michael Jordan. There are athletes that defy your eye. You know, you got to understand. My job is to be able to sense the speed and athleticism of who I'm throwing the ball against so that I know that the ball is safe. How many times you've seen a football thrown that's just barely out of someone's reach, you know, because you judge that and that split second knowledge. He defied that to me. There are ball the footballs that I threw that. I'm like, that's fine, and then he would not make him I'm like, wait a second, my eyeball can't can't gauge him, So I didn't. I tried not to mess with him as much, just because you couldn't make the judgment. And I feel like there are athletes that you see something, see them do something, and you go, wha wait, I gotta see that again. Because that didn't make my eye didn't cover up. It didn't make sense to me, and Michael George's probably that way as well.
Speaker 3: If you're Aaron Rodgers, what would you do.
Speaker 6: In today's game? Tom Brady said it best. The flats are always open, the middle of the field is unpatrolled, and no one could hit me. And by the way, I make fifty million dollars, so I think that Aaron, because he's healthy a full year. Look at the mobility is down everything else. But if you can get to a place that understands the position, has innovative mindsets. There's more and more places like that that that you can get where you can take advantage of the you know, the new football that's being played. If he can get to one of those spots, I'm sure he'd still love to go play some great football, especially with one way innovative minds. So I don't think I mean if he might be forced to retire because no one will do, you know, give him the job. But I think someone I look, you can't go to a place where it's not set up for the quarterback. I mean, just flought out, not even gonna bother with it. He already he just did that with the Jets, So you're not gonna do it again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I wonder who looks at their team and says, that's what we need. He'll be the difference maker. The Jets thought that they were getting that guy, I.
Speaker 6: Know, yeah, but then I look, the one thing I do know is that he was he was taught in a more sophisticated era and Tom Brady Peyton Manning. They all took advantage of it. Matthew Stafford's taken advantage of it. This is a game that's significantly easier. I look, I like some old guy yell and I'll get off my lawn. But like, the game is significantly less sophisticated in that way, and so he can take advantage of it. And he knows that. And so if you can get to a good spot, I look, I would I would go try to take advantage, but especially if you can still run around a little bit. That's that's the game today.
Speaker 2: Did you think about coming out of retirement at any point after you've retired?
Speaker 6: You always think about it, Dan, I mean, the thing that you're you know, you're one of the best in the world is something. And then you retire and you're not You're not that anymore. And then you look out in the future you're not even good at anything else. And that's what's so camming about it, right, you're at the bottom of of I always describe it as a bottom of a bottom of a cliff. You've fallen in a bag of bones and like you gotta it's a death. And so if someone said you, hey, that thing that you're great at. You're not gonna be great at things in your whole life ever again like that that thing you're great at, let's do it again. Like, yeah, let's do that again because that's what I'm best at. So it goes through your mind for years cause you think, oh, you know, that was what I'm best at, but you have to That was like Roger stab I gave me the best advice ever, Just run, Steve. The game will never leave you, but you gotta leave it. You got to run, and so emotionally more than anything. And I think that's probably why, because you know, the next day, when you find out you're not good at even I'm not great, I'm not even good at anything else, you're like, dang, or do I get started?
Speaker 3: Did you have to retire? Did you have to? Yeah?
Speaker 6: A little bit, I think that. You know, I didn't know I could have gone to Denver. Mike Shanahan and I had long conversations about it, and uh, my wife still tells me that I was an idiot not to do it.
Speaker 3: But so no, could wait? How close were you playing for the Broncos?
Speaker 6: Closer than the Dodgers?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 6: But right, but you know what I mean like it was, it was definitely something that could have happened.
Speaker 3: Dang, and your wife said that you should do it.
Speaker 2: See that's the interesting part there that you know, usually it's the other way around, I know. H So you would have taken over for Brian Greasy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Mike ha heard ganging up on me. So yeah, but that's but that's the hard part again, what your best at Steve, keep doing it like yeah, you know, that's what was unusual about him.
Speaker 2: Thanks again for making time for us, Dan, You're the man same travel. Thank you about it times. That's a Steve Young Hall of Famer.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wapp.
Speaker 2: Kevin Bacon won half of the Bacon Brothers ban. They have twelve albums they've released. They re released their song Philly Thing Mister Philadelphia Eagle There. Where'd you watch the game Kevin?
Speaker 9: In New York City?
Speaker 3: How were you to watch the game with?
Speaker 9: Well? Uh, first off, I was all alone in my apartment.
Speaker 10: My wife went out to uh to dinner with a friend, and you know, there was that first call the first bat I what I consider a bad call, you know, on the first offensive play.
Speaker 9: And I think some of the neighbors were thinking, all the.
Speaker 2: Cops me, do you think that your wife went out on purpose to leave you alone to watch the game?
Speaker 10: I think maybe, yeah, I think maybe she did. But you know, as you know, I moved to UH, and she she was, she was there for UH for the second half. Kind of She's kind of a jack in the box when it comes to watching anything.
Speaker 9: She's up and down, it up and down, it up and down and Uh.
Speaker 10: The one thing that she sort of relies on when I'm watching any kind of sports is that she gets a foot massage. So that's kind of like our you know, that's that's how we work it out. That's how we've stayed married for so long. I will say that, you know, being a I moved to New York when I was seventeen, so I've been a New Yorker for a long time. And you know, I think we've probably talked about this before. I have this kind of strange relationship to New York and Philadelphia sports where you're really supposed to be on one side or the other, but you know, I'm a big, big Knicks fan as well as an Eagles fan.
Speaker 2: But the U.
Speaker 10: I found that the New Yorkers that I've run into recently, and this I'm talking about, like many people have said this to me, knowing that I was a fan of the Eagles, that they feel they're very happy for Saquon, which I think is like kind of an interesting, you know thing that they feel like, well, it's great, you know, he's doing a great job done.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you would find reverse, I can't imagine.
Speaker 2: But are you the prototypical Eagles fan, Like if you weren't famous being an actor, would you be out there celebrating taking down light poles and everything.
Speaker 3: I would not.
Speaker 9: No, I would not. I'm I'm way too into self preservation.
Speaker 2: But this Friday I wouldn't go close to Philadelphia with that parade going on.
Speaker 10: I told my sisters that they needed to stay. I've got two sisters there, and I said, go inside and stay inside. It's going to be great. It's going to be great. I'm you know, I feel I'm always very happy when not just not just for the Eagles, for or for any sports teams. Is this, if anything great happens to that city that I that I care about, and you know, it's a that's a good thing for a city.
Speaker 9: So I'm really happy.
Speaker 2: For I feel like Bradley Cooper feels like he's really close to getting in uniform and playing for the Eagles.
Speaker 10: Yep, I think, Uh, you know, he is a he is he's the definition, he's the definition of a fan.
Speaker 3: Good on him.
Speaker 9: You know, I don't know that there's a you know, who else do you have? Kevin Hart?
Speaker 10: I guess And you know, I'm trying to think of well known Philly people.
Speaker 2: Maybe you can do a Buddy's like Eagle fan movie, you and Bradley and Kevin Hart?
Speaker 9: Well yeah maybe.
Speaker 10: I mean you did do silveral Lines playbook, which is was was you know very much in that in that pocket. But it was a fun it was a fun day and and uh and and I'm happy for them.
Speaker 3: Did you cry?
Speaker 8: I know.
Speaker 3: I didn't.
Speaker 9: I didn't.
Speaker 10: Well, did I get I might have gotten a little misty? Yeah, I might have gotten a little misty. Listen, it's one of those games where it's you always have to remember that a friend of mine sent send me a picture of his friend and they're both like big Giants fans, and they were watching the game and his friend Mark had fallen asleep on the couch. His head was back like this and he was completely out. And you know, for people that aren't Eagles fans, you know, it was not the most exciting, you know, thing to watch or it was you know, just kind of whatever. But I for you know, it's it's all your point of view. I thought it was a blast.
Speaker 2: Okay, But if I go back to when Foles and the Eagles beat Brady, that's different.
Speaker 9: That was different.
Speaker 10: I mean that, and plus I mean what a that was such a crazy unusual situation. I mean that whole you know, that was completely just never seen that before. I thought that was incredible. And and then how you know, ironic to have Nick Foles there, you know, I.
Speaker 9: Mean, I I will say that, you know what, what's really I feel like.
Speaker 10: There's something about Hurts that people didn't quite acknowledge. You know, there's a lot of there's a lot of talk about or a lot of feeling. I think that the that the that the team was only really it was it was having the kind of year that it was having because of Barkley.
Speaker 9: And for sure, that is true, but it was really interesting to me to see you know, the.
Speaker 3: Uh, the the.
Speaker 10: Them them shut the the defense shut Barkley down to a certain extent, and then all of a sudden, you go, wait, wait a second, this is not a this is not a team that just has this great running back.
Speaker 9: You know, this guy is He's amazing. And I gotta say, I'm not a predictor.
Speaker 10: You know, people will always say that to you, But after that game against the Commanders, I I felt pretty good about it. I thought they really I thought they'd really looked good, and I thought I thought.
Speaker 9: He looked really good. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think with Jalen Hurts, if you go back to when he was at Alabama and then got kicked to the curb in the national title game, transfers to Oklahoma, then gets he gets drafted in the second round and he's a backup, and it feels like he's going to be a career backup. You had Carson Wentz, he was having an MVP like season, and then all of a sudden, it's like, you know, maybe Brock Purdy with the forty nine ers, mister irrelevant, Like, you know, he can't be that great. He was mister irrelevant. And I think that people kind of harbored this opinion with Jalen Hurts. Oh, he can't be that good. I mean he got Alabama didn't want him, and he went to Oklahoma. He's a second round pick. But he keeps he keeps proving people wrong. And if I look at his performances in these two Super Bowls, you'd be hard pressed to find a performance like that from other quarterbacks who have been in at least two Super Bowls. These are and you lost the one where he found the ball, but he outperformed Mahomes in that game too.
Speaker 9: My wife came in at one point when he was running and sliding and she said, why is he sliding?
Speaker 10: I said, because he's such a smart quarterback, because he so knows, you know, how to you know, protect his body.
Speaker 9: It's just you get sees the big picture anyway.
Speaker 2: But he's like a supporting actor who becomes the leading actor. Like begrudgingly, you're like, wow, he's a leading actor because he's been that supporting actor.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 10: And it's also interesting because when that happens in our business, you'll see that and the first thing everybody says is, you know, I always liked him, but like JK.
Speaker 2: Simmons in Whiplash, they were like, oh wow, that guy's the leading yes, and then he ends up winning the Academy Award. Let me give you the full introduction. I jumped right to it. Kevin Bacon, He's going to be in The Bondsman for Amazon Prime Video horror series, and then you're going to be in Sirens with Julianne Moore. Then you're going to be with your wife in the Best You Can You guys haven't been together in twenty years in a movie on screen.
Speaker 3: I'm guessing, yeah, we haven't, and.
Speaker 9: That's going to be at the Tribeca Film Festival. We're really we're excited.
Speaker 10: I'm excited about all of those projects, honestly, and honestly, Dan, I just I never take it for granted that anybody has still giving me gigs. I mean, I really do appreciate it, and I've had a it was I got. All of those three parts are really really different, and that's the thing that is my life's blood, you know, being able to walk in different men's shoes, and I'm just so grateful that I.
Speaker 9: Still get a chance to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you probably get these roles because you don't take it for granted, like you're it just feels like, hey, what do you.
Speaker 3: Need me to do? I can do that.
Speaker 2: That's really been my like there's an everyman feel to you. I don't know if you feel that way, but it's like, what.
Speaker 9: Do you what do you need to do? I'll say what it is is that someone will say what do you need me to do? And I'll say I can do that, even if I know that.
Speaker 3: Probably how much fun is it to play a bad guy?
Speaker 9: Oh, it's great. I love playing bad guys.
Speaker 10: I mean I have to say though, that that a lot of there's there's sort of this idea that bad guys are are more fun. I think it's mostly that writers sometimes have more fun writing them, because if.
Speaker 6: You are the.
Speaker 10: Hero, you know, you kind of know that you're gonna save the day, and and so I think sometimes writers will even and sort of focus a little bit more on the on the antagonist and and just figure that the actor who's playing the hero is just going to deliver his heroic stuff. So when it comes to playing good guys, like the guy in the Bondsman is certainly the hero of the show.
Speaker 9: I mean, he's he's.
Speaker 10: Battling demons from hell. He's become up like a bounty hunter for the Devil. But he's a But what's fun about that part is that he's he's kind of a mess, you know, he is he's not the bad guy, but he's got a lot of bad stuff in his past and he's made a lot of mistakes and and he is a complicated character. So for me, it's less about bad and good and more about is it does the character have layers and his character complicated.
Speaker 3: City on a Hill was great, but but we're done with that, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 9: We did three seasons.
Speaker 10: That was three and out. I mean I was, you know, I'm happy to get the three. I would have loved to have kept doing it. I really liked playing that guy. But he was a very uh he was a very.
Speaker 9: Complicated guy to say the least.
Speaker 10: And you know, Alvis Hodge, who was you know, kind of my my, uh, you know, colleague so to speak in that in that unlikely colleague in that show was fantastic. He was, he was, Yeah, I'm sure you ever known. I mean, these things sometimes they circle back around who knows.
Speaker 2: But none of these like you're not a sequel guy. So I'm looking at a lot of these movies. Is there a movie that out of the ones you've done, where you go, you know what, you could have done a sequel? Well?
Speaker 9: Uh, I don't know about that.
Speaker 10: I mean I I What I will say is that the only movie that I've really the first off, they I did this movie called Tremors, and they made about nine sequels, but I wasn't in them. And that's always been the movie that I've thought to myself, it would be fun to revisit because just because the character was you know, so I just found the character kind of funny and it was interesting. He was such an ordinary guy and had this extraordinary situation where these worms were underground, and you know, and then if you saw him many years later, and we actually developed it for a television series and shot a pilot of it, and I really thought it was great and had a good time doing it, and then it.
Speaker 9: Did get picked up.
Speaker 2: So I'm looking at this list. There has to be a movie where you go, I don't know about this, where you're talking to your wife. So Apollo thirteen, foot Loose, JFK, Few Good Men, Diner, Mystic River, Animal House, wild things, like which one were you? Like?
Speaker 3: I got some trepidation about this.
Speaker 10: Definitely tremors. I had a little bit of t repredation about uh wild things. You know, sometimes you think to yourself, we're making something that's kind of tongue in cheek and and you know, sort of.
Speaker 9: Over like like like kind of big.
Speaker 10: It's like a big swing, you know in terms of like all the stuff that was going on there, and you kind of think, to yourself, are people.
Speaker 3: Going to get that?
Speaker 6: I don't.
Speaker 9: I don't know. It's it's a little over the top.
Speaker 10: But but listen, I mean I I I go into every one of them once. I once I say yes, and you know, we have a deal in place and the and we are going to start.
Speaker 9: I have to believe that they have a chance, like I don't. I don't go in saying yeah, this is probably not going to work. I just I it doesn't. It doesn't make for a good working situation for me. I want to go to work and feel like I'm, you know, doing my best.
Speaker 3: Did you keep anything from Apollo thirteenth? They let you keep your suit?
Speaker 10: I have a little piece I do in my suit now. I have a little actually in the other room. It's funny you mentioned that I have a little piece of I think I have a little piece of the shell of.
Speaker 9: The actual lunar module. Maybe it's it's some little or maybe it's a piece of a suit. I'm not sure.
Speaker 10: That was an incredible experience, listen. I mean that was amazing. We actually, you know, in those days, if you wanted to, you know, simulate zero gravity, there was really no way to do. I mean, you could do it with like harnesses and stuff that they took out, but it was very rudimentary compared to what you can do now with the computer generated images. So we actually went up in a zero G airplane and did you know loops, Yeah, did you throw up? I did not, but I had was. I felt sick for sure. I mean we did it six hundred times. And and so the NASA gave you very very strong anti nausea drugs, and I remember that Tom Hanks and Bill Paxton decided one day to kind of cowboy it out and not.
Speaker 9: Take the take it and they did not look good through the day, but they were extremely sick.
Speaker 2: Great to have you back on the show. Good luck with all of these projects, and more importantly, congratulations on your your Eagles fly.
Speaker 3: Eagles fly there, keV. Thanks a lot man, Thanks for having me, Kevin Bacon