Speaker 1: Hi everyone, It's me Josh and for this week's select, I've chosen our tinpan Alley episode from May twenty nineteen. It's one of those topics I knew nothing about but was pleasantly surprised to find that it's super interesting. It's about the birth of the music industry and the place where a lot of great songs that are still really great today were produced. Hope you enjoy this episode.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Stuff you Should Know, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: Hey, and welcome to the podcast.
Speaker 1: I'm Josh Clark, and there's Charles w Chuck Bryant, and there's Jerry over there.
Speaker 3: And this is stuff you shnow The Superstar Edition, the old time he Superstar Adition.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, I thought this was super cool.
Speaker 3: It tinpan Alley.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is one of those things where I've I sort of knew what tinpan alley was. You always have heard that term thrown around, but I never really really got it until this episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Same here, and it's pretty cool. Like the term tin pan alley t I N full stop p A n Ali.
Speaker 3: You forgot a second full stop there.
Speaker 2: Full stop. I just want to make sure people know it's not one word like ten pan. Right, it's two words, right, but that is linguistically speaking, that's a synectic key. What it is?
Speaker 3: You know what that is, right, I've seen the movie.
Speaker 2: Man, that movie. Geez talking about the Charlie Cofflin thing.
Speaker 1: Right, sure, yeah, yeah, yeah, senectady, senectic key New York.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So a senectic key is it's when a specific place stands in for a broader term, like Wall Street, like Wall Street's a real street, but wall Street also means like the finance industry, right, or Hollywood, Hollywood's a real place.
Speaker 1: Okay, this makes a lot more since then the Charlie Coffman movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so ten pan Alley is a bunch of things. It was a place right in New York City, which we'll get to in a second, like exactly where, and it was also referred to sort of the beginnings of the music publishing industry and a genre as well.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: So it's kind of a lot of things, but it stems from the root of a ten pan, like a ten pan or a was a cheap piano. Like if you had a really cheap piano, you would say it sounds ten panny.
Speaker 1: Right, because like that's what the hammer on the piano's hitting is ten pans rather than strings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it sounds just like a real tenny tone, like you're beating on a tenpan. So that's where the term originally came from. And depending on who you ask, this area of New York was called tinpan Alley because perhaps a journalist first wrote about it. All the sounds coming from the songwriters from these buildings on this one block sounded like tinpan Alley.
Speaker 1: Right, it's no exaggeration to say tinpan Alley. Specifically this little stretch in New York like a block or so, maybe less than a block.
Speaker 2: Again, it's a block, okay.
Speaker 1: Was the place where the American popular music industry was born?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's specifically twenty eighth Street between six and Broadway, kind of between Chelsea and kIPS Bay, a little northwest of like the flat Iron building.
Speaker 3: Gotcha.
Speaker 2: And it's interesting to think that, like the music, the beginnings of music distribution wasn't like pre phonograph from pre records. There was still music distribution, but it was it was sheet.
Speaker 1: Music right right, So I think choke, we should get back in the way back the ooh and go to an indeterminate part of the mid nineteenth century in the United States.
Speaker 3: Let's do it. So, like you said, there's everywhere, there's.
Speaker 1: A lot of it. It's like you said, if you wanted to hear music, you had basically two choices. You could go hear it played live somewhere everywhere, from a barbershop quartet to maybe an orchestra or board right or you could have a family member who knew how to play music and buy a piano and have it in your home. Those were your two ways to hear music because everywhere there was no such thing as radio.
Speaker 2: Let's just let's just say it everybody. Yeah, there was no radio.
Speaker 1: There wasn't and if you think about it, radio was was. You know, we take it so much for granted today, but it was a huge watershed change in the way that Americans in the world heard their music. You could just hear it at home being played by professionals like the most the greatest musicians you've ever heard, just sit around and listen to it at your home, whereas just years before, a few years before, you had to listen to your twelve year old try to bang out some song on the piano that you just bought and that was your option, aside from going to hear it live. And so this whole idea of the music industry being born, it was basically predicated on two things, Chuck. One was the fact that pianos were starting to become ubiquitous in American houses and people were learning how to play those pianos, so music instruction became kind of widespread. And then secondly, copyright law started to really solidify in the United States in the nineteenth century, and so that sheet music became much more valuable than it was before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, if you can't, like I can't read sheet music, I learned I can't either. Yeah, I learned to play guitar by ear, and kind of I guess every friend I know that's a musician except for a couple learned by ear. If you came up formally through through high school band or something like that, or maybe just private music instruction, then you may be able to read music. But back in the day, if you could not end still today, if you could not play by ear, the only way to do so was through sheet music. And that was the first commodity in the music business, was literally just selling sheet music to people, right so it's hard to wrap your head around now, but that was the commodity.
Speaker 3: It is hard to wrap your head around.
Speaker 1: But if you think about sheet music is basically the predecessor to the cassette or the record or the CD or the MP three, it's the exact same thing. It's just to hear it, like that is what you went and bought at the store and then you came home and played it rather than listening to somebody else playing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like they sold a lot of them, like the very first hit that tin Panale put out, and this was a period. I mean, this was an eighteen eighty one when Wait Till the Clouds Roll By was put out, So tin Panale generally was or early eighteen eighties till early nineteen twenties or so I saw.
Speaker 3: Like late nineteen twenties, was it really Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess you know, you can never say when it was dead dead, But in one month in eighteen eighty one, they sold seventy five thousand copies of sheet music to Wait Till the Clouds Roll By.
Speaker 1: Right, that's amazing, yeah, because this was it was a good song and people wanted to hear the song, so they went and bought the sheet music. Yea, So that was one thing, right, So there was sheet music. That was how you got this stuff out. But even before Wait Till the Clouds Rolled By, which it seems like was probably America's first number one smash.
Speaker 2: Hit yeah pop music.
Speaker 1: Prior to that, there was plenty of sheet music to be sold, but it was a largely like church hymns storing. It was. There was a lot that were sold for schools. And like I said, copyright law changed. It allowed tim panale to develop, and it did so in two ways. One it like the court started taking copyrights for music seriously in the second half of the nineteenth century, so you could actually enforce your copyright against people who were infringing on it. And then secondly, the courts, the Supreme Court and specifically said, hey, if you wrote a song outside of America, when it comes to America it enjoys you can copyright it in America too, which means that the music publisher's source of free sheet music, which was just basically stealing foreign music, printing it out in sheet music form, and then selling it and not paying any royalties because it enjoyed no copyright protection, that source dried up, and so all of a sudden, this American music that they had to pay for now seemed a lot more attractive because now they had to pay for the music generated overseas too. So this is copyright law and the fact that more and more people were learn need to play piano, and so you had an actual market four sheet music. Those two things came together.
Speaker 2: All right, let's take a break. I feel like that's pretty good setup, okay, and we'll come back and talk a little bit about who these music publishers were and how they went about their work early on in the Tenpen Alley era right after this. All right, So we've been throwing around the term music publishers a lot, and that sort of means a different thing now than it did back then. But back then music publishers some of them wrote songs, to be sure, but generally they did not a lot of the early publishers out of Tinpan Alley had backgrounds as salespeople. So there was a guy named very successful publisher, name Isidore Witmark. He started out selling water filters. Another one name Leo Feist, sold corsets. Another one named Joe Stern and Edward B. Mark sold neckties and buttons, and a lot of these people, I guess we should point out too, came over from Europe. A lot were Jewish, some African American songwriters like they were minorities kind of for the most part. Early on, it feels.
Speaker 1: Like right, and they saw a huge opportunity in this music business that was starting to coalesce, because prior to this, I mean, there were music publishers, but it was basically some guy who worked at a printer who had a friend who could transpose music by ear and they would just take some song that they heard and turn it into sheet music and start selling it. Or they worked at the music store, and the music store basically did the exact same thing. And so everyone was ripping off everyone else's songs, and anybody could be a music publisher. But when those copyrights started to be come and forced, it became much more valuable to invest in original music because you could make a lot more money off of it. So those a lot of those Jewish immigrants and a lot of the African American songwriters and composers kind of coalesced into New York. They came from Boston and Detroit and Atlanta, and Saint Louis and all over the country, and all those towns lost their publishing houses and they all moved to New York and they very specifically moved to this one little stretch on twenty eighth Street and it became Timpan Alley.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's really interesting to look at like how it worked back then and how it sort of mirrored how like music grew out of that model really and changed in some ways, but kind of stayed the same in a lot of ways too. Like you always hear about music contracts and how terrible they are for rock musicians or pop musicians, and it was kind kind of the same way back then. These these publishers got together. They created this songwriting factory on this block of buildings through different companies, and they would get they would recruit songwriters to come in. They had different arrangements. Sometimes they would just buy it outright from you, including the rights to change the name of who wrote it. Sometimes they would have the right to throw one of the other more, I guess once they had, you know, established themselves another co author's name on there. But they would just you know, say, write these songs, write these songs, and we're going to buy them from you, and we're going to try and make them pop. Like you couldn't put them on the radio, so we're going to try and get them popular by getting them onto vaudeville and on stage and sending not moles, I guess, but it was almost like early Payola, sending these performers into vaudeville to sing these songs, to perform these songs, and people are like, well, that's pretty catchy, I want that, right.
Speaker 1: That's how they that's how they marketed it, and that was like the whole thing, Like if you it was the first time that that music became an industry because there was almost an assembly line feel to it where they would have feelers out to find out, like what people were into as music at the time. One of the one of the early transitions that tim Panale underwent was when it started, it was a it was a factory for churning out like comedic, often deeply racist songs, lots of ballads, just what you think of as super old timey songs, right, and then the public started to get kind of bored with that and they decided that they kind of liked this ragtime thing that the Scott Joplin Fella has has started to create and so Tim Panale, this is classic. Tim Panale went out figured out how to play rag time, started co opting the ragtime genre and created pop music. So they took what was a really difficult kind of music. It's called syncopated rhythm, where you've got a melody within a rhythm, right, so you know rag time, right?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: Okay, So they figured out how to take this very difficult thing and kind of popify it to make it easy for the audience to play. Because again, here's the thing. They're not saying, Hey, you're the best of the best studio musician. We've got this really tough song over here that sounds great, but it's really tough to play. We want to pay you to come play it. We're going to record it and distribute it onto the radio that didn't exist yet. They had to figure out how to take difficult songs kind of dumb them down into something catchy and memorable and importantly easy to play, so that they could sell that sheet music to local musicians or those barber shop cortets, or so that the twelve year old at home could play it for the rest of their family, and so that is how they kind of started to take popular music and make it even more popular. They decided what music was popular based on what what the what America was starting to get into at the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they would there were these musicians called song pluggers. So how it would work is a music publisher in ten Panelle would buy a song or the rights to a song off of a musician who wrote it, maybe put their own name on it, and then they would give that song to a song plugger, who is a musician who would go and perform this at a music shop that maybe sold pianos or something like that. And this was pre radio. How they got the music out in the public and it was and it was crazy. These song pluggers got money. Irving Berlin started out as a song plugger.
Speaker 1: Right, And so it's kind of like if you you know, how you go to a grocery store on a Saturday and they'll be sitting there giving out samples of something sure, and you'll say, oh, this this cheese with this cracker tastes really good. I'm going to go buy this cheese and these crackers. This is the exact same thing, except you say, oh, this song sounds really good, I'm going to buy the sheet music. That's what music pluggers were for. That's how they got the word up, that's how they advertised the music was to play them. And then another way to do it, Chuck, is like you were saying, they would set vaudeville shows up or musical reviews or Broadway shows whatever with these popular songs and these songwriters to help get them out that way too, so the audiences would go hear these things. So you could hear them in the music shop, you could hear them at the theater, you might hear them. Well, it's basically it is the theater and the music shop where the two main venues. Unless I'm forgetting one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they would. That was the plugging. But there was also booming. So, like I said, you had Irving Berlin, and like George Gershwin started out as a song plugger, Al Sherman started out as a song plugger. But if you wanted to be more aggressive than that, even you would do something called booming, which is you would buy like twenty five tickets to a show. You would have the plugger up there playing the song, and then those twenty five people were plants basically that already knew the song, that would sing along to it and then everyone, you know, the only thing better than hearing a great song for the first time, And you know, nineteen ten in New York City is hearing twenty five people around you singing it and you're thinking, how have I been missing out on this thing?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: And that may be the first time it was ever performed in public. And it was all just a big, kind of a big scam.
Speaker 1: It was. It's hilarious though, that that's how you just look around and suddenly be overcome with fomo. So you'd be into this new song and run out and buy.
Speaker 2: The sheet music I guess early fomo.
Speaker 3: So there was this process.
Speaker 1: To all this, and like you said, like you could be like a no name composer who would show up at tim Panlley with the song that you're trying to sell, and if it was good, the publisher might buy it, but like you said, you would get some sort of terrible contractor they would buy it out right, take your name off of the composition and put their own name on there. But they also hired composers I think like you were saying too, where they were they were they had they had a few hits under their belts, so they had a steady gig at the music publisher and their contract was a little better, but they were not in creative control for the most part, to where the music publisher would say, Hey, everybody's into this ragtime, make me some ragtime songs. Everybody's into this jazz and this blues stuff. Make me some bluesy kind of stuff that I can turn around and sell. And the competition was really fierce among the the in house composers, because just because you composed a song doesn't mean it was going to be turned around and transcribed into sheet music and then people would buy it. Like you, you had to basically audition your song to see whether it made it to the next level. And so in tim Panelle, and this is where it got its name, there would be you know, no name composers, house composers, vaudeville acts, all running around playing music from these open windows because there wasn't air conditioning back then, and so at any given time you'd walk down Timpanaley and there'd be a dozen or scores of different songs all being played on these pianos streaming out of the windows onto the street at the same time, and that's where that reporter Monroe Rosenfeld, came up with the idea timpanale. He said, when he was walking down the street, he was kind of describing.
Speaker 3: What that was like.
Speaker 1: He said, it sounded like, you know, a bunch of tim pans being struck at once.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And this whole area of New York, this one block just really became like a creative well. There were vaudeville theaters, there were play theaters, like it was sort of the earliest incarnation of the theater district before it moved toward Times Square. And then other parts of the entertainment industry obviously are drawn to that area. Variety Magazine that's where it first popped up on that block when it was called The Clipper. The William Morris Tallon Agency had an office on that block, and it was just sort of the you know, after I think Austin, Chicago, Cincinnati, and I think one other city kind of where the early seats of the early music industry. It all roundly landed in New York and just such a creative area and era.
Speaker 1: It's so neat to think about it too, because that's happened in places before where if you take a bunch of creative people and jam them into a small area, just amazing stuff happens. Like you can do something as big as birth a genre of music, or like pop music, which is like an umbrella. It's not even a genre. There's genres underneath pop music, you know, where something that big can happen when you get that many creative people together in one place.
Speaker 2: Should we take another break?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 2: All right, we'll take another break and we'll talk about some of these songs these composers in the Great American Songbook right after this. All right, So there's money being made. Yeah, Tad a lot of money, even for early on. I mean, I can't imagine what sheet music costs, but they were selling so much of it it added up. Irving Berlin, I mean, he went on to start his own music publishing business, but early on, when he was just pumping out tunes. In nineteen seventeen, he made about one hundred thousand dollars a year in royalties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's nineteen seventeen dollars too, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And these songs like these are some standards, you know, it's what's known as the standard American Songbook just like it's an unofficial designation, but they're considered to be like the classics of the early early twentieth century. Like, I mean, we all still know these songs, stuff like Ain't She Sweet?
Speaker 3: I don't know that's Ain't She Sweet?
Speaker 2: You're mucking down the street. What you don't know that song? No?
Speaker 3: That one I've not heard?
Speaker 2: Oh boy, do you know babyface? Yes, got the cutest little baby face.
Speaker 1: Yes, I love that song. It makes me smile.
Speaker 2: By the light of the silvery moon. Give my regards to Broadway. Sure, happy days are here again over there. A lot of this had to do with like wartime, early wartime stuff, right, Sweet Georgia Brown, Take Me out to the ballgame?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that in particular, we got to say that was written by two guys, Jack Norworth and Albert von Tilzer. Yeah, and they never they'd never seen a ball game before.
Speaker 2: Well maybe that's what they were saying.
Speaker 3: But yeah, the original take me.
Speaker 2: Out to the ballgame because I've never been right exactly, And they changed that line.
Speaker 1: But that was so tim Panaley like where it's like everybody's into baseball right now, so let's make a song about baseball. You two, we've never seen a baseball game. It doesn't matter. Make it, make me a song, and that's that's how it Take Me Out to the Ballgame was formed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think under one of the like you said earlier, some of the early work with like kind of humorous comedy songs. One that still stands out today, I believe from that genre is Yes, we Have No Bananas, which I always thought was kind of funny when I was a kid.
Speaker 3: It's a little funny, and I guess I still do if I'm being honest.
Speaker 1: There was also Yeah, you can go down this line. And there's some pretty substantial songs that were written during this time, and not all of them were standalone. A lot of them, like I said earlier, were created for musical reviews. America the Beautiful was written by Irving Berlin for a musical review called Yep, Yep, Yep Hank, which no one.
Speaker 3: Has heard of.
Speaker 2: No one knows that anymore, but.
Speaker 1: It was meant to be performed and produced by Soldiers. I had an eight show run, but the song, obviously, America the Beautiful has survived long beyond that because it became an American standard.
Speaker 3: So like these these vas.
Speaker 1: That were built around to kind of get the song out there to the public faded away, But the songs themselves have stood the test of time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, I think he pulled it from that production. Or was it in the original production or did he pull it?
Speaker 3: I think it was in the original one.
Speaker 2: Well, he eventually pulled it out of the production then because he thought it was too sentimental. And then that song went on to be the one that everyone remembers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, You're right. I'm sorry it didn't show up in there. But you also said so. You mentioned Irving Berlin forming his own publishing house. He was a quintessential Rags to Rich's story for Tim Panaley, where he was like a waiter in a cafe, became a song plugger, one of those guys who plays songs to basically his marketing, couldn't reacheat music, knew everything by ear, had a friend transposed the songs he came up with into actual written music.
Speaker 2: That's a pretty get a little facto it that Irving Berlin couldn't read or write music right.
Speaker 1: And then he became a well known composer. And then he became such a well known composer. He opened his own publishing house and then started making one hundred thousand dollars a year in royalties.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 1: There was another guy named Charles K. Harris who was one of the earlier success stories. I think in eighteen ninety three or two, he had a song called After the Ball and he just knew it was a gem because he offered it to a publisher and they offered him a price for it that he was like, that's way too low. I'm going to set up my own publishing house. And he did, and he started selling it and was making something like twenty five thousand dollars a week in eighteen nineties money, which is like seven hundred grand a week. This guy just went from nobody to seven hundred grand a week. Ended up selling five million copies of his song After the Ball. And if you listen to it now, it's not that good. Frankly, it's not, but bully for him.
Speaker 2: You know, it's no ancient suite. No, Yeah, it's amazing, man. People like popular music hit the world like, you know, like a lightning bolt from the beginning.
Speaker 1: Yes, because it was so ultra tailored for the American public. Like again, they would take Ragtime, which was a Scott Joplin creation, And Scott Joplin was the son of a slave.
Speaker 3: He was an African American.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of people thought he was white.
Speaker 1: Still to this day, a lot of people think he was white. I think because of his name, Frankly, and it was the predecessor. Ragtime was the predecessor to jazz. And it had like a real like feel to a real soul. Everybody's heard like some of the original ragtime music, like The Entertainer and Maple Leaf rag And if you can't immediately bring those to mind, just go to YouTube and you'll be like, oh, okay, of course I get that. But the idea that Tim Panlley could just kind of come along and take this cool, deep soul for music and opify it basically to make it palatable to audiences, in particular white audiences who had the most money at the time. That was why it would why it became so successful. It was almost dumbed down. It was music that was dumbed down in a way to make it appeal to as many people as possible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or even worse, co opted by white publishers and producers to be used in minstrel shows. Yeah, this version of music, this new genre of music that was so unique in the Harlem Renaissance by Scott Joplin, was co opted for minstrel shows. So shameful.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So there's a real debate going on now about the legacy of Timpanalei in some ways, and some people point to it and say, look, these guys were churning out the most eye poppingly racist songs that that America has ever come up with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were some, to be sure.
Speaker 1: They were, they were coming, they were selling them to the masses. And in doing this, because this was the origin of popular music, they were really effectively perpetuating racial stereotypes and embedding them more than they ever had been before because people were not being mass audiences were being reached like they were with this early sheet music. And so in this respect, tim panale doesn't deserve to be revered or respected.
Speaker 2: Or designated as a historical landmark. Is the real fight?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's I guess.
Speaker 1: Recently, as like late last month, I believe, Chuck, there was a Landmark Commission City Landmark Commission meeting where this was being debated, right.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and so like you said, some people were saying that. On one hand, other people are saying, yeah, but so many of these were Jewish immigrants, an ethnic minority, so many of them were African American songwriters, and tin Panale was also the home to the first black owned and operated music publishing business in the country.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some people are saying, look like, yes, it was taken in co opted to be popular, but so were operettas and ballots, like that's just what they did. It wasn't meant to be offensive to African Americans. And as a matter of fact, it was basically these Jewish immigrants saying, I kind of identify with your plight. I want to preserve and celebrate this and expose this music to as many people as possible. And that some people pointed this process in Tinpanaley as the way that the African American arts became exposed to the larger the larger population of America.
Speaker 3: At the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that debate's going on.
Speaker 1: That's where the idea of whether or not this area should be designated as an historic landmark is falling, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like you said, it's kind of hard to pinpoint an actual death date of tinpan Alley, because these things like that happened gradually over time. But technology, like it has so many other times, kind of killed the notion of Tin Panaley, didn't it.
Speaker 1: That's a really good point, right, So the radio, it was the radio radio killed the old timey sheet music star.
Speaker 2: And then video killed the radio star.
Speaker 3: Right exactly.
Speaker 1: So again, you didn't need to make sheet music any longer, or you certainly didn't have to learn to play sheet music at home if you wanted to enjoy music, if you could just buy a radio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people quit buying pianos, and yeah, it's kind of sad, it is said.
Speaker 1: It would be nice if everybody was walking around and knew how to play a piano, like hotel lounges would be a lot more interesting, right, Yeah, But that's I mean, once the radio came along, everybody said, so long sheet music. I hated you all along, but you were my only option. Now I can listen to like Benny Goodman and all of these other cats who are super hip and really good at what they're doing, and I want to listen to their music. And not only did technology kill Timpanale in this sheet music publishing industry, but It also changed the the genre a little bit. It kind of skewed it more into swing and some of this yeah big band, some of the stuff that came out of the thirties onward or that was really kind of where that transition went.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Have you ever been somewhere where they have a public piano and seen someone just walk by and sit down and blow minds?
Speaker 3: Didn't you see Greg Almond do that?
Speaker 2: Oh my god?
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: If you know someone who saw that, please try and remember who it was, because I need to hear that story.
Speaker 3: I'll try to remember. I can't remember who it was.
Speaker 2: That's pretty amazing.
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't think I'm making this up.
Speaker 1: Let me let me go back through my specific mental role of DEECKX.
Speaker 3: But have you ever seen that?
Speaker 2: Sure, just like you're I mean, not Greg Almond, but I've just seen your regular average person sit down at a piano and like, wow, Someone New York does this from time to time. They'll have them on a sidewalk or in a park or something. And in Atlanta they have one over in Atlantic Station. I've seen people to it there and it's always just really cool. And that makes me miss the fact that piano like a lot more people used to learn piano than they do now.
Speaker 1: I think I would love to know how to play the piano me too, for that time, for that very reason, because I'd love to be able to sit down and just want to play that guy so bad right someday it's not too late.
Speaker 2: I remember the first time I saw it was at a student council retreat in high school. There was this one. You know, all the student councils from the county get together over the course of a weekend or a week and do stupid stuff and learn about leadership. But there was there's always like this one guy on student council at another school where you're like, man, he didn't seem like a student council type.
Speaker 3: He seems like he's thirty.
Speaker 2: This guy did, and he was on student council at some other school. But he was like, you know, had like the rat T shirt and it was just sort of a like a dirty metal head.
Speaker 3: The bad boy of student counsel.
Speaker 2: He totally was. And there was a piano and one of the lobbies of the dormitory is where we stayed at Barry College in Rome, Georgia, and on the very last day there were a bunch of people hanging out in there, and this dude goes over and sits down and just crushes it. And I remember seeing the girls in the room and thinking that guy has got it all going on, right, Like that's the key man.
Speaker 1: And that boy and the rat T shirt grew up to be Greg allman.
Speaker 3: Have you have you ever been.
Speaker 1: To Siggold's Request Room now or that you and me's friend Joe McGuinty owns it. He's a co owner of it, and he plays piano there. It's just like sing along piano karaoke. Oh wow, and it is amazing.
Speaker 3: I cannot believe you haven't been there yet. You have?
Speaker 2: So does one person play the piano and everyone sings along?
Speaker 1: Joe McGuinty plays and then no, there like like people can sing along if you want, but it's really one person going out there and doing karaoke with Joe accompanying you on the piano.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, well I've done I've done the rock and roll live band karaoke before. Oh yeah, here in Atlanta, which is a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: Okay, do you where do you do that?
Speaker 2: Uh? Somewhere in the Highlands. I think the dark Horse.
Speaker 3: Maybe Okay, yeah, that sounds right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I went for my birthday a couple of years ago and did Cheap Tricks Surrender and did a pretty good job, if I may say so.
Speaker 1: Is that Surrender Parentheses? Dream Police?
Speaker 2: Those are two different songs.
Speaker 3: Okay? Is it surrender Parentheses? I Want You to Want Me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the one. Okay, I've heard that song, but it's funny at the one in Atlanta, there's you know, the DJ English Nick.
Speaker 3: No, wait, was he on like the radio like radio DJ?
Speaker 2: Yeah? He still is sure English Nick in Atlanta. Yeah, he hosts it and he is the the the emergency backup if you're no good, because being bad at karaoke is no fun, but being bad at live being karaoke is really no fun for anyone. So he stands back there and if you're not very good, he's singing along with you, and he will just give the signal to sort of do a little upping of his vocals and lowering of the other vocals.
Speaker 3: Is it like the slice across your neck like that?
Speaker 2: Nah? I mean I think it's just like an eye signal. I got it, and I remember being nervous. I was like, oh, man if they bring up English Nick during surrendering and be mortified. But they didn't, and afterward he gave me a nod like a good job, buddy.
Speaker 1: Oh oh you got the nod from English Nick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it means a lot.
Speaker 3: I have the opposite story.
Speaker 2: Oh what happened?
Speaker 1: I went to Claremont Lounge to do karaoke years back, chose to do Darling Nicky.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting.
Speaker 1: In the middle, the karaoke DJ breaks in and goes, It's like William Shatner singing, isn't.
Speaker 2: It a Oh my god?
Speaker 1: You mean was there supporting dancing but really just hanging on by your fingernails? You know?
Speaker 2: You got it? Stopped and insulted mid.
Speaker 3: Song, mid song, but I finished buddy good. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I would literally pay one hundred dollars to have seen that.
Speaker 3: I wager it would have been worth two fifty. Okay, it was pretty pretty bad.
Speaker 2: Do we have anything else on Tinpan Alley?
Speaker 3: I forgot what we were talking about? Shuck, Well we should.
Speaker 2: We're not going to get into it here. We should do a full show on as CAP though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because yet another thing that Irving Berlin did was create as CAP the American Society of composers and performers.
Speaker 3: Right, I think producers producers.
Speaker 1: Okay, man, I didn't even have it in front of me, but they basically protect and register copyrights for artists.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's kind of so convoluted to these days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think it definitely deserves its own thing. But that was another thing that was born out of timpan Alley.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And you know what, I am living in the future now because I have a turntable now, finally again after many many years of not having one that I can play wirelessly throughout all the speakers in my home. Oh, isn't that amazing?
Speaker 3: That is the future for sure, that you can.
Speaker 2: Actually do that, and it sounds great. And now I just went to the record store for the first time in a long time yesterday and bought thirteen records. I traded in probably five hundred CDs to get thirteen records. He was like, I'll give you one hundred and thirty bucks for the lot, and I was like, fine.
Speaker 1: Fine, just get these stupid ninety CDs away from me.
Speaker 2: Now. They were great, but it was just I felt like I should pay him to take all these off my hands.
Speaker 3: Did you still have the jewel cases?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, they were all there, something jeweled up and so yeah, I bought records for the first time. And I'm going to make that a when we go on tour now and when I travel, I'm going to make it a point to go into local record stores again.
Speaker 3: I think that's great.
Speaker 2: I really really had a good time thumbing through records. It was a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: I'll go with you, text me, yeah, let's do it. Okay.
Speaker 1: I think that's it for timpan Alley, rip Timpanelle. Depending on your viewpoint, I guess, yeah.
Speaker 2: There needs to be a great I know there was a movie in the forties called ten pan Alley, but someone should do a really good look at the early burgeoning film I'm sorry, movie into almost oh boy, music industry about ten Penalty.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that would be great. There's so many characters involved.
Speaker 2: Just put Hugh Jackman in a Sharknado in it.
Speaker 3: Yep, we're all good.
Speaker 2: And by the way, you got called out for bringing back bread.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 1: I said in some episode that I think the Diving Bell episode, that we should bring Bread back, and I guess that's what the kids all say.
Speaker 2: Now. I didn't realize that, but like at least ten people emailed and said, yeah, millennials are talking about getting that bread. Yep, it's like they are.
Speaker 1: I guess so I like to think that I had absolutely nothing to do with that.
Speaker 2: No, I bet, I bet you were the seed?
Speaker 3: Do you think so? You never know? Man, that'd be cool.
Speaker 1: Before we go to the chuck, I do have one more thing, well, I have to give a shout out to what I considered the greatest song to come out of Timpanaley, and I believe it was an Irving Berlin song. Yeah it was Let's have another cup of Have.
Speaker 2: You heard this soul? We use that for something, didn't we?
Speaker 1: I don't remember. We probably did because it's prominent in one of my favorite movies of all time, Paper Moon. That was a great song. I love that song so much. If you haven't ever heard that song, go listen to it because it's one of the most just blindly optimistic songs of all time and it's about coffee yep and pi. Okay, now that's it. Now I've got nothing else. If you want to know more about Tim pan Alley, you can go read up on it and maybe follow whether it's going to get designated as in a story.
Speaker 3: Clan mark or not, we'll find out. In the meantime, it's time for listener mail.
Speaker 2: So this is just a very sweet email from someone. Hey, guys, I'm sure you received emails like this all the time, but I would be remiss if I didn't thank you for all the wonderful work you do. I've had a really tough time with mental illness, and there have been a lot of nights your wonderful podcast staved off panic attacks or worse. Wow, thank you for keeping me calm and educated, and thank you for making me feel safe even in periless circumstances. Thank you for giving me something to talk about when my depression has kept me in a fog. Without your massive backlog and seemingly endless supply of fresh, fascinating subjects, I surely would be lost. Spend some time researching, and I can truly appreciate just how much time and energy go into becoming familiar enough with something to explain it as succinctly as you guys do your superheroes and rock stars. From the bottom of my heart, thank you for the wonderful work you do. You have truly saved me. Kindest and warmest regards Georgia. That is really lovely, Georgia. If we're ever in a town near you, you are guests listed.
Speaker 1: Yes, Wow, Chuck, I think that was a really good, good idea. Thanks a lot, Georgia. That was a very sweet email. We appreciate it. We're glad we could help in some small measure. Thank you very much for the kudos. If you want to send us kudos, we love that.
Speaker 2: Kind of thing, including kudos.
Speaker 3: The candy bar Yeah, I remember those, send us a kudos. They were great. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know if somebody send us one if it would still be so great.
Speaker 2: Are they not around?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I think like they would have been manufactured in nineteen eighty six or something like that.
Speaker 2: I don't keep up with the candy bar scene.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying. They're not around anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I know.
Speaker 1: Okay, So wow, that was a little sidetrack on kudos, wasn't that.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: If you want to get in touch with this, you can go on to stuff youshould know dot com and find all of our social links there, and you can also send us an email to stuff podcast at iHeartRadio dot com. You know, Stuff you should Know is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts My heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.