Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, Robert Evans here and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode. So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's got to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions. Welcome back to it could happen here. A podcast that is being recorded far too early in the morning with me to help me stay conscious. Is my friend and coffee entrepreneur prop aka Jason Petty Prop.
Speaker 2: How are you doing, buddy man, I'm wonderful on this fine day.
Speaker 3: I almost did an AKA song forgetting which shows?
Speaker 2: I was like, oh wait, that's a zeigeis bit happens to me all the time?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So which bit for which Show'm I suppose do? Right now?
Speaker 1: Here's here's here's what we were talking about before the show, which is that we're both exhausted despite sleeping normally.
Speaker 2: This week. I feel like this.
Speaker 1: May be something to do with these aliens. Everybody's talking about something's going on here.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, aliens or just this like kind of week long sort of holiday festival. I've been a part of that. Apparently all of Black America has been participating in.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 3: We're all experiencing a level of bliss I don't think we've had in a long time.
Speaker 1: That is, that is our subject of today, which is uh. I think the term generally being used for it is the Montgomery riverboat brawl. That seems to be what we've all settled on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they say the fade in the water.
Speaker 3: I mean there's new, there's new spirituals and hymns.
Speaker 1: The Ballad of Black Aquaman. Yes, I love that kid. But we should before we get into all this, we should have know what actually happened, because I'm gonna guess there's at least a chunk of people listening who are like, what the fuck are you guys talking about. The short of it is a couple of days ago, video dropped two different clips I think are mainly what's what people are watching of a fight at a riverboat dock in Montgomery, Alabama. And basically what happens is you had this this river boat and it's you know, Montgomery, Alabama's got a lot of tourism. It's one of these big boats that holds about two hundred and seventy people. I think, takes them up and down the river. You know, you go up and down the river, you look at the pretty things. I assume there's there's beer or something.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's all sorts of cities do this. So this boat is heading back into dock and they've got all these people who want to get off the boat because they've been on for a while and.
Speaker 3: They have people to get back in a lot of people to get the next one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And you know they have a set spot that is their spot, and no one else is to park their boat at the dock, as is usual for a large business like this, and some dudes with a pontoon boat have taken it up.
Speaker 2: They've parked there.
Speaker 1: So the captain gets on the pa for quite a while and is like, hey, guys, move your pontoon. Hey guys, you got to get that pontoon out of here. Hey, y'all, if you don't get that pontoon out of here, I'm going to call the cops. And if you have open containers, the cops are going to fuck you. You don't want that, So why don't you just move? And these guys get like shitty at him and start like yelling at him and cursing at him, flipping him the bird. So he sends over his co captain, and the captain of the boat from the videos if scene appears to be a white dude. The co captain is a middle aged black man. He gets off the boat and he goes over to just like move the pontoon boat right, which is a thing that boat people do when situations like this occur. It is not like an unheard of situation. And while he's doing it, a whole bunch of the presumably the dudes who own this pontoon boat boat who were all white, surround him and start attacking him. And then at one point that looks like five or six people trying it, and he's, for the for the record, he's holding his own. He's doing as long as you can. Yeah, And then a number of nearby people start running to his aid, including at least one of the kids on the river boat. Uh hops out or like hops into the water and like swims.
Speaker 2: Yeah you are talking about the rest of this, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: There's a Hood Politics episode recorded where I try to do like initial reactions and try to add some some like color to this, which will come out a little later. This will come out before that. But there's Yeah, so you're watching the video, you can't it's all inaudible, so you can't really hear except for the people recording. You hear them talking to them talking, right, but judging from there's so many context clues to understand what's happening.
Speaker 2: Right, So as the co.
Speaker 3: Captain, the black dude's getting off the boat to come talk to these white boys right the way that you could just you know, when someone's like and unfortunately for white people, y'all can't when you're drunk. Just your skin shows it, you know, I'm saying, like, so you can just see, Okay, this dude's like, your skin's very flush with color right now. So you're you're clearly drunk, you know what I'm saying. And it's hot as hell because it's Montgomery, Alabama, right, It's also Montgomery, Alabama. So you just from seeing the interaction and the body language of both people in this conversation, you're like, Okay, this conversation is getting intense. And then and then once once the uh the the white gentleman decides he's gonna put hands on his black dude.
Speaker 2: The black dude throws his hat up into the air.
Speaker 3: He shure does, he shares does as a Now, Robert, is that not a universal bet?
Speaker 2: It is signal?
Speaker 1: I would go so far as to say, it's like that's damn near like a mortal combat opener. Right, Yeah, it is universal.
Speaker 3: Hands.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's like, all right, we got.
Speaker 3: To throw hands, right, So it's so good. So at that point, that's when like clearly, like clearly, either these white boys are very inebriated or have grossly underestimated the feeling of collective identity black people have, because when they decided to jump this man, you're in front of hundreds of black people, oh yeah, who are all waiting in line to get on this boat, right, who are already pissed at you because you not moving right. So, so when he does that, as you can see, there are people running, you know, black men running as fast as they can to kind of help you know this, uh, this this co captain who by this point is being stomped because he's overpowered by five people. And then you see this young man swimming yeah to the shore, which is like, he's a Yeah, I mean, that guy's a national treasure.
Speaker 1: Now, so I don't know that guy, but I can tell that we can tell a couple of things about him. One of them is that he reacts quickly in a crisis.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yeah. And the other is that pretty good swimmer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he must be a teenager, because how you're gonna have the energy to swim there and then still start doing work.
Speaker 1: Well and then pull yourself up onto a dock when yeah, clothing's all soaked. Very impressive feet.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So anyway, so so as that happens, people finally catch up, the boat finally gets a chance to dock. Now these other people who were on the boat and watched all this happen are like, now it's our turn. So they get off the boat, go to the pontoon. Shirts off again, another universal signal. If I've taken my T shirt off, we're we're here, We're gonna throw down. So they start throwing down. I mean it's women getting involved. And then now now, now, now it becomes this this entire brawl right. So, and if you've ever been in situations where brawls break out, they kind of move and shift as different people decide they want a part of it, and other people get tired, and somebody's finally, you know, his nosebleeding whatever. And while this is happening, there's a few clips where you can see whether they're security officers or police, they're.
Speaker 5: Kind of just watching, kind of like I don't know if we needn't do anything about this just yet.
Speaker 3: Now, finally the brawl gets around the corner and a brave old man, old head who sees his opportunity wile.
Speaker 1: Who is who has brought? Who has brought? But he's got the soul of a sniper. This man is like watching and waiting to act.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, So at this point, uh, there are some security officers involved who have finally been like, all right, man, maybe we just maybe we should stop this. And it's almost like again you can't hear it, but judging by their body language, the cops were kind of like, I don't know, man, and white boys kind of ask for it, like and you don't say so, I just kind of watch it like, hey man, you ask for it, man, And this is what happened. You should have moved your boat, shouldn't have been talking shit like like like Kat Williams says, shouldn't have been talking shit, you know.
Speaker 5: So so anyway they.
Speaker 3: Do this, and this this hero of a man grabs a white folding chair and just wax a dude over the head with it who was attempting to attack some other people. Now clearly again if you've been in a brawl, maybe adding color that's not on the video, but like if you've been in a brawl, you understand at some point you're kind of blackout and you just you just get punched drunk. So while he's hitting a guy with a folding chair, the there's this other white lady who's attempting to intervene with an interaction that one of the security or cop guys is having with turns out which with probably one of her compadres.
Speaker 1: And this is, by the way, a mixed gender brawl. There's there's like, yeah, this is not not just dudes uh throwing hands, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's it's girls on girls, it's girls on dudes, it's dudes on girls.
Speaker 2: It's a brawl, you know.
Speaker 3: So the officer, like officers do when you try to intervene with them having interactions with with somebody.
Speaker 2: Pushes the lady away.
Speaker 3: Now, now the lady's in riverbroke crocs, right, so her feet just fall right through the crocs, right. She gets pushed down and just happens to be in the eyesight of this of this sixty old man with a folded chair.
Speaker 5: And while she's down, he just turns and just whacks her over the head with this chair.
Speaker 1: He does, he shares it gives you the w W E special I mean, just New World Order suck.
Speaker 3: It just smacks her with a folding chair and at that point, you it's almost like and again it's all audible, but you just see the officers go like.
Speaker 1: Ship man, yep, Now we gotta do something.
Speaker 5: Now, we gotta like the fuck man. Now we gotta arrest you dude.
Speaker 3: Right, So the cops finally go like what the fuck man, They take the chair from the guy, and the dude his body language is so like like he doesn't even know what's happening, like I'm just swinging, you know. So when the officer finally takes the chair and they like they're like, dude, you.
Speaker 5: Hit the lady, You hit the lady, hit the lady.
Speaker 2: We got yeah, we gotta do something.
Speaker 3: We got to arrest you now, right, and which, of course the internet watching it, and even the person holding even the person shooting the video, we all like, oh, yeah, nah.
Speaker 2: But he's definitely going to jail.
Speaker 3: That guy going to jail. Everybody else yeah might be fine. He go to yeah and uh.
Speaker 5: And that's pretty much where where the video stops.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it has.
Speaker 1: It has obviously gone everywhere since then, there's a lot of writing about like, yeah, why this has like taken off so much and been seen as so inspirational to people. I think it's because it seems we've all seen like too many videos that are just kind of the first part of this where like, yeah, there's like a bunch of racist white pean and by the way, there's at least you can't hear it on the video, but people have said that, like these folks when that co captain came down, were like shouting the inward adam and stuff. Yeah, so we've all seen the variants of this that are just like, yeah, some some black men or black woman getting abused by a bunch of racists, and this one starts looking like that and then turns into like like a beautiful come uppets, like these people picked a fight against a man they thought was like alone and kind of heavy set and older, and that they could like wail on and just wound up getting absolutely housed. Based on at least what I'm looking at here, looks like three of the white folks involved in this have been charged with crimes. The police are talking to the chair guy. It's unclear yet like what exactly charges he's gonna catch.
Speaker 3: He was on a he was on a radio show, a morning show in Alabama, ware with just sort of an internet personality that like in the black community, we're all very familiar with.
Speaker 2: And so they asked her.
Speaker 3: They asked him, like, the lady asked him like okay, okay, you had to chair, And the lady was already down, like what what what happened? He said, It feels like it's like we wrote this script where he goes man.
Speaker 2: I blacked out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he said, I just thought about rows of parks and that lady that wouldn't give the seat to her.
Speaker 2: I was like, I'll give her a chair.
Speaker 1: But you know, fights are ugly things but also in some ways beautiful things. It's a there's a lot going on in this video. I'm not surprised that it's it's been taken by so many people. There's some lessons I think bystanders can take from this. From one thing, if like fifty people are having a giant brawl, might want to get out of there.
Speaker 5: Just leave, Yeah, just bounce. You should know to leave.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, not a good thing to get in the middle of. Second, if you're parked in someone else's boat spot, maybe instead of shouting racial slurs, get your fucking boat moved.
Speaker 5: It's not.
Speaker 3: It was like, Yeah, I think what it's It speaks to so much because this was such an avoidable situation. You guess is completely avoidable. Bro, we just slide over a little bit. I feel like if you've like if you've driven a car on a highway, then you've seen a semi truck and when the semi truck come, just get.
Speaker 2: Out his way, Like, why is you picking this fight?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 2: Just he can't. It's a big old at wheelerd.
Speaker 5: Just this is courtesy.
Speaker 3: That's a bigger So I'm just saying, like, that's a bigger boat than you.
Speaker 5: You're more nimble, you.
Speaker 3: Can move, and clearly it's a line of people waiting to get off.
Speaker 5: I just don't understand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, That's one of the things I think that's involved here that's interesting to me is that there's this This is not just I mean, like, obviously the fact that these guys were biggots is a factor here, but there's also just this increasingly common freedom that the most selfish people in our society feel to be like aggressive about the fact that they don't owe anyone else, like basic like politeness, right, like the the very basic Though two hundred and seventy people are being inconvenienced because I parked my shit in the wrong space, I should bounce, you know, I should probably at least say, oh, sorry, I fucked up. Instead like, no, we're gonna make this a thing because like we get to park wherever the fuck we want and fuck you like that. That kind of attitude is like it's so frustrating, Like I can't even get myself into the head of someone who would do what these guys did and not like feel like they were an asshole, Like I had to do the thing every now and then I think most of us do where like I park my car in like a a like a red zone or something, because it's like I got to be it's like there's no spaces. I'm thirty students, right, Yeah, and you get out and someone seeing.
Speaker 2: You like in the fucking red and they're.
Speaker 1: Like, yes, you know, like I know, it's sorry. Well at one point, man, I'm sorry, Like yeah, dude.
Speaker 5: I'm so sorry. Bro, I'm so sorry. Look I'm gone, I'm gone.
Speaker 4: My bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: And to have the the fucking hutzpa to just like, look at a boat of two hundred and seventy people be like, fuck all of you, like I want to keep my stupid ass bart doing here for some reason.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then the willingness to be like, what the fuck you gonna do about it? Well, we'll jump you if you get that mad, and just and whether it's whether you're adding to either the lack of like situational awareness or just that that overall hutzpah, like you said of just like.
Speaker 2: Whatever, I'll take all of.
Speaker 3: You, like really you really really like Yeah, I think that there's there's a lot to color here too, with the fact that first of all, this is take where it's taking place. I mean we're still in Montgomery, Alabama here, and which and on a.
Speaker 2: Dock that.
Speaker 3: Was obviously and verifiably a dock where slaves were dropped off at you know what I'm saying. So you have that history, right, you have the history of the Montgomery bus boycotts. You know what I'm saying, Like, this is this is the city where Rosa Parks did the thing. You know what I'm saying, Like, this is where it happened. So there's so much history in the city. And on top of that, like I mean, there's high schools in Alabama named Robert E. Lee, like Robert E. Lee High School, Like we're talking about we're talking about a place that I mean what it was in the news in the odts that Like I mean, there was a high school that just desegregated, like in the year twenty something, like they got there, Yeah, yeah, they just desegregated high school.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: It made the news in twenty ten because they finally had a desegregated prom. But that was just the prom. And it's just that the prom white school invited to black. They can't go to school together. They could just do a dance with this this is where. This is the state that this happened in. So you're like you're in this like and I hate to like otherise them, but I'm an otherise them in the sense that.
Speaker 2: This is some like multiverse bizarro world.
Speaker 5: Where you were. Desegregation is recent, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So when you have that type of thing, first of all, you have to have you have to remember, like both of those things are sitting in sort of the collective consciousness of that community, whether especially for the black people who are like.
Speaker 5: This, this is the world we live in.
Speaker 3: But we've also proven that if you push us far enough, you know what I'm saying, like, we're not gonna stand for it.
Speaker 2: You know, We'll pick up a folded chair.
Speaker 5: We'll pick up a folding chair, which has.
Speaker 1: Become something of a symbol in the last new open carry. Yeah, I saw at least one TikTok video that was just it was like there's like a couple of people watching as this young black guy in a Walmart like was holding up and like testing it like the way that you.
Speaker 2: Will like a gun at the gun store.
Speaker 3: He's like, yeah, man, the memes have been glorious.
Speaker 5: I've seen folding chair ear rings, I've seen dot.
Speaker 3: But the one is this that I said, uh, I said Robert a video of the folding chair getting interviewed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh he's.
Speaker 3: One of the first of all, that's one of the funniest accounts you could ever follow.
Speaker 4: But he was just like you.
Speaker 5: I was just sitting there and then we started doing charity work.
Speaker 2: And which account is that?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Ace Vance a ce B A n CE. He does just the most incredible voiceovers. Yeah, with the chair was just like, who's heading out charities?
Speaker 2: I was doing charity work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, freely given ass whoopings like have a seat, might step up, have a seat anyway.
Speaker 4: It's so good.
Speaker 3: But I I I think that that is important. I think another thing that I think is just see specifically for like that it can.
Speaker 4: Happen here.
Speaker 3: Audience, which I one thing I love about the show is like you you give y'all give so much historical context to whatever we're looking at. You know what I'm saying, as as almost like proof of concept that not only can it happen here, it is happening here, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And I think for this one, there was this interesting.
Speaker 5: Moment.
Speaker 3: This is another good follow for you. Guys got named Consciously. Uh his name is the Consciously. He was like like world renown like debater, a master debater. I'm just kidding, uh, but he was a world renowned debater. He was one of the first like like him and his partner was like the first black like co champions in like professional debate or college level debate anyway.
Speaker 2: So he's a brilliant, brilliant thinker.
Speaker 3: He's like you know, YouTube early year styles whatever, right anyway, content creator. Anyway, he brought up this this point among sort of the the black community that what came out of this too was this hashtag of like yo were we are not our ancestors, you know which, as I understand the sentiment, it also shows sort of a lack of historical knowledge of like really how our ancestors handled slavery.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, like of the amount of resistance.
Speaker 3: The amount of resistance we actually had, you know what I'm saying. And and even just like I would even courage just like a simple Google search of the amount of rebellions, you know, you just whether you're talking about the famous ones like the Haitian rebellion, which we did a bastard's pot about, you know what I'm saying, We're like these fool these fools threw off their their oppressors.
Speaker 4: You have.
Speaker 3: Nah Turner, you know what I'm saying, which I talk about more on on on hood politics, but like I my seventh grade like historical figure report was on net Turner and I was busted like a suburban like middle school for a little bit.
Speaker 2: So I'm walking into the suburban middle.
Speaker 3: School with my NAT Turner paper.
Speaker 2: My poor English teacher she hadn't been thinking.
Speaker 3: I don't know what she was thinking. But anyway, Yeah, you know what I'm saying. You have like there was one, there was there were one in New York. There was the one during the Thirteen Colonies. Like we have such a history of like rebellion and resistance, Like don't think not to mention slave ships that were overtaken, you know what I'm saying by their captors, Like you know what I'm saying, So like these things have there is a rich history of us of US rebelling. So like it's almost a point a point of lesson, a point of learning for the black community too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think that's uh, like a really useful teachable moment. While everyone's kind of amped up about this thing to talk about it. I've heard it described as like left handed power, uh kind of in some books that would talk about not just you know what we've been chatting about, which are these kind of big moments of insurrection among enslaved people, but like the everyday acts of resistance by people who were enslaved, like while they are you know, on the plantation stuff, different ways of like pulling autonomy of like you know, teaching their kids how to read, or you know, taking you know, getting things like money or extra resources you know out of the out of the people who are attempting to uh yeah, to own them. Like methods of escape and resistance, you know, all these methods of like preserving traditional art and religion while you know, in chains like all that kind of stuff is also Yeah, I hope it. I hope it like spurs some of that, you know, the the the folding chair can be added to a richtory of resistance.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, and yeah, I'm also curious around like obviously you and I on this on that are currently being recorded, plus a lot of the community that both of us represent like yeah, we're not pacifists like you at all, you know what I'm saying. And I find that discourse to be interesting too, and especially.
Speaker 5: Around you know if you're you're and I'm like, you know, neither is.
Speaker 3: The broader racist community, Like y're not pacifist either, Like you ask for the smoke, you got the smoke.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like what is more American than this?
Speaker 1: It's I think a more optimistic chapter, especially like as we head into twenty twenty four, as we deal with like kind of these continuing efforts to disenfranchise particularly black voters across large chunks of South. I'm glad that we've got this, Uh what will hopefully continue to be a powerful image for people to kind of rally behind. This is a this is a nice thing to have. It's a I don't know, and it's interesting, like people things are said in a video like this that is just kind of like chaotic brawling, but it speaks to people in a way that you know, a history textbook, uh maybe isn't going to reach them, because there's just something so kinetic and powerful about like watching watching a large group of people realize that an injustice is going down and then be like, well, I guess we've got to throw throw hands to stop this shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's a microcosm of like a century and a half or so of or a couple of centuries of history.
Speaker 3: Whether it's yeah, whether it's a absolutely the couple.
Speaker 2: Centuries of history.
Speaker 3: And then you're like at at least ten years of witnessing, you know, black bodies being brutalized when no one, when no one was there to help, you know what i mean.
Speaker 2: Just seeing the video and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then seeing no recourse like okay, well there's well there's never I mean, are we gonna wait for the justice system? You know, the best thing we've gotten so far is like no no knock warrants. I mean, thanks, you know what I'm saying, Like, you know, at a state you know, like so so and and a lot of promises of police reform, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So you just you don't.
Speaker 3: I mean, like during Trump's presidency, there was I mean, there was an uptick in lynching, Like you know what I'm saying, Like these fools.
Speaker 2: A getting old school, you know.
Speaker 3: So it is without hearing any video, without knowing anything that those men were actually saying, whether they were just running the mill pricks or just pricks, whatever it was. It is a Again, if you're a if you're a black person in Alabama, it is completely reasonable to believe that if we wasn't there to help, that man would have been on the bottom of that river. Yeah, that man would have been strung up in a tree in the woods and we hadn't never seen him again.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, just the the the sheer like rapidity with which he was surrounded and put on the ground by a large number of men did not suggest that they were that the uh, that the additional dudes who had arrived to wail on him were in a mood to like de escalate the situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that's like, I mean, I feel like that's like a reality that uh, you know, you this it's almost like for the rest of the country, it's like this if you underst like, this is the reality we need you to understand when we say I could die, you know what I'm saying, Like when you talk about racism and not thing, it's just some people are stupid. There's fucking bigots everywhere. Like no, when we say it's life or death, like you' that's what you're witnessing, Like he could have died that moment, you know what I'm saying. And I think at a at a whether it's front of mine or back of mine. That is something that as a person of color, like you just kind of know that like this, this would this if it would have just been a fight, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Then, I think if it was just just.
Speaker 3: Been a brawl, like most people would have just stayed out of it, Like if them to just if.
Speaker 1: They just prescribe guys swinging on each other a smart play, if it's just two guys swinging on each other, just yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Take your phone on your watch, You're just like, all right, man, hey, get your licks in. You know, you cheer for your boy, but like jump but when somebody jumps in, it's like, Okay, I'm gonna help the homie. But you jump in helping the homie in Montgomery, Alabama. But it's like, all right, yeah this he might die. So it's different.
Speaker 1: Anything else to get to on this, Man.
Speaker 3: I think I might be I think one more thing I think to add color to this, and I might be like aggrandizing, but I think it's also important because what I'm what I'm really interested in is just the collective, cathartic sort of feeling this has had. Is because there's so much built up tension. You have to talk about the Florida of it all, you know what I'm.
Speaker 5: Saying, and being aware of the idea that like you're.
Speaker 3: Right in front of our face, like you're trying to erase history, you know what I'm saying. Like and and I just five minutes ago watched that prager you video for kids about about Christopher Columbus and slavery, and it was just like, well, you know, and this is approved, approved, approved content for children, Like, well, you know, at least we didn't kill them, yeah, you know what I'm saying, And like, well, you know, you know, in Europe, we don't we draw the line at like cannibalism. And these people that we're enslaving like they practice.
Speaker 2: It, you know.
Speaker 3: So I guess it's kind of you know, maybe slavery's not bad, and slavery, I mean it's all over the world.
Speaker 2: They've always had slavery, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So like they learned useful skills, yeah, I mean, you know.
Speaker 5: Okay, so there are skills in Africa.
Speaker 2: Like so you're trying to tell me.
Speaker 3: This this civilation's civilization that is the bedrock of civilizations where all the humanity come from.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying, We didn't know how to do nothing right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know, Like if you're yeah, it's it's it's so frustrating because it's it's what you could. I think they're trying to like draw line between I don't know. The way slavery was often practiced in like the Mediterranean, where there was a lot of manumission, people were often freed, and when they were freed, there was not like ongoing stigma against having been a former slave with like a racial slavery system. In the Americas that was completely different, where manumission very rarely happened, and when it did, you were still subject to heinous restrictions on your personal liberty.
Speaker 3: Like it's just not a comparison, Yeah, trying to use the lack of awareness of just even the term slavery and what you mean by that, you know what I'm saying, using it to your advantage. It's like, well, anyone you know who's read a book or two can be like, ah, what you did was different.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying, and you know and you know it.
Speaker 2: You know it's different. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like serfdom, you know, involuntary servitude, debt, slavery. Any whenever, if there was ever two tribes and a tribe got raided by another one, there was slavery. Like I know, like that it exists since the dawn of time. Not what you talking about though, you know what I'm saying you and you know it. You know, so you're playing on that.
Speaker 2: So I just think like collectively us just like.
Speaker 3: Keep hearing this shit and keep having to like, you know, keep your cool and try to fight it in the ballots and just and just the.
Speaker 2: The just the mind fuck of like.
Speaker 3: These folks, y'all, really you're gonna you're gonna vote for a dude that's out on bail, that's a felon like this Sniggs face in seventy years and y'all really finna, y'all really finna you really trying to put this man.
Speaker 5: In office again? Like just it's such a mind fuck that you're like, man, I just.
Speaker 3: Need to hit I just need to hit a white lady with a chair, Like I don't, I just I'm just gonna hit a white lady to the chair. Yeah yeah, And we you know something I've I've brought up many times on the politics is understanding sort of like the collective sort of Black American psyche is we just processed trauma through humor, like we when we make a joke out of everything, and it's really so we're just not like pushing random white people in the moving traffic, you.
Speaker 5: Know, just because if not, you'd being like what's his name?
Speaker 3: James Baldwin says that he was like to be black in America is to I'm butchering the quote, but to be constantly under the surface at a rage level that you're constantly trying to push down, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: So I feel like the humor, why.
Speaker 3: Why we got so many jokes about like nah, chare chair homie going to jail, Like here go your bail money? But it was amazing because like you just good job, you know, I'm saying, an aquaman coming out the water, Like why why we make jokes about it? Is like well, yeah, I mean this is it's funny and if not, we'd be enraged all the time.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, Well, prop amen, I do feel like this is a good lead in for the fact that we are we are actively well preparing to do our Robert E. Lee episodes which have taken a lot of reading. But I think you're gonna enjoy.
Speaker 2: I can't wait.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because again I just like I'm already locking and loading the jokes like I can't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's he's such a baby, I think you Like that was the thing that surprised me, Like I expected, like, Okay, well, this guy's, you know, a bad person for obvious reasons, being the military leader of the Confederacy, but like the degree to which this dude is a fucking baby is uh right. Yeah, we're gonna have a good time with this one.
Speaker 3: I also, I also, as a thought experiment, my question would be, Okay, Robert Evans, if you were in Montgomery at that moment, I just how would you handle that.
Speaker 1: I mean, if I see a bunch of people wailing on a single dude, even outside of a situation where it's clearly racist, I'm going to try to stop that because I don't want to watch someone get beaten to death in the street. Yeah, like, unless they have it coming. I don't know, if it's like a guy with a swastika armband and people are kicking him on the ground, I might not intervene I don't know, and that I might in that case, I might just to try to stop people from catching a fucking murder charge. But like, yeah, I feel like now at the point at which there's like sixty people fighting on the dock, I don't know that I'm I'm running into that. Like for one thing, it seems like enough people are there. But yeah, you see, you see a bunch of people like kicking the shit out of a man trying to do his job.
Speaker 2: You should try to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, like those fucking security should have gotten in there faster. But like, yes, I I would hope that I would run in at that point an attempt to stop this what was happening. Yeah, absolutely, that's good. And I would have had the presence of mind to pick up that chair though the.
Speaker 3: Chair is Yeah, no, I just I would hope that, like it would be I just wonder, like because again, once you black out and get punch drunk, it's like I would hope that, like they that the black people around have the wherewithal to be like no, no, no, no, he's with us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we'll say, yeah that dude's with us. No no, no, no, he's with us.
Speaker 5: He's good he's good, he's good.
Speaker 1: I think that's that's part of why you don't roll in when there's like sixty people fighting also at that point, yeah, yeah, it's it's hard to tell how do you how do you help? And if you've got like five people beating a man on the ground, it's easy to know how to help. You try to get that guy up and away from them. You try to get them off of him. If you've got what are effectively like two or three dozen fights going on on a doc, it's like, well, do you just like start throwing hands like yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, everybody puts somebody Yeah, just like you know, you just grab like find children and just kind of like let me just move.
Speaker 2: Y'all out the way, y'all back up? Yeah, yeah, yeah you should.
Speaker 1: I think when you're anytime you're in encountering a situation like this, like your first is like.
Speaker 2: What can I do that will help? You?
Speaker 1: Know, again, it's easy if you if there's a guy getting beaten, or if there's someone seriously injured that needs medical care, if it's at a point where it's like, well this is just fucking chaos, then maybe you just watch yeah yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Get it, get it, get a higher vantage point. Just make sure you can watch the watch where it's going. You don't want to get sucked in, you know, because you might get trampled.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, keep your fucking don't. Don't fall into your phone because ship like that spreads.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, yeah, so true. Yeah, well that's a usable piece of information. Yeah for this otherwise just jokes full podcast yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well we all had a good time today.
Speaker 7: Prop.
Speaker 1: Where can the people find you if they if they would like to do that?
Speaker 3: Man, please, I am on the same network you are. I'm on the Hood Politics Pod. My socials are all the they're all prop hip hop. Like you said, I am a coffee business owner. It's terraform cold Brew. You could use promo code hood and get fifteen percent off your cold brew needs Please help me sell Please buy his coffee. Good Lord, I saw a lot of money into this shit. Please buy the coffee. But yeah, man, prop hip Hop and yeah and yeah and Hood Politics Pod. I'm on the network, man, and please check out the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, check out Hood Politics, check out props Delightful Coffee and yeah, you can find us right here. Tomorrow, unless it's a weekend, in which case you can find us here when the weekend ends the next weekday. We're here every weekday. We never stop. It could happen here. A podcast about frustrating people and frustrating times. That's not all it's about. Sometimes we talk about nice things like raising sheep or unionization efforts, you know, the endless struggle of working people to better the world. Yeah, but not today. Today we're having a real, real piece of shit episode about a real piece of shit, and it's gonna make everybody unhappy. Hello Garrison, Hello James. How are you both doing today?
Speaker 2: So much better for hearing that, Robert, Oh yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 8: Just ready to have a fine evening here yet about something that's probably very fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, go to bed. You don't have you don't have your Soda Stream disappointed in you. Yeah, James and I are now soda Stream pilled.
Speaker 8: I've not gotten the company Soda Stream yet. That hasn't must generational thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the unfortunately the company beverage is is Billy Beer. Uh Billy Carter Jimmy Carter's Brothers beer that was on sale for roughly a year in the nineteen seventies.
Speaker 2: Is it made of peanuts? If only?
Speaker 1: No, So today let's start. I got a question for you. Have either of you seen the Barbie movie?
Speaker 2: Yes? I have. I was it well done?
Speaker 3: Gear?
Speaker 2: Oh, I didn't go, buddy sol Gear.
Speaker 8: The said dressing was was nice?
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 8: It was a great lesson in like liberal recuperation. I'm sure, I'm sure. I'm sure it'll be great for like kids who like don't know who like don't know what feminism is. But but yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems I have not watched it either. It doesn't seem like my kind of movie, but it seems broadly act correct me if I'm wrong here, that it has what you might call like very very modest and fairly mainstream, approachable feminist messaging. Yeah, yeah, that seems like it's fair, which most people would not be particularly angry about. But a sizable chunk of the very online right, the chunk of the right, particularly that makes their living by having takes on shit has has has been up in arms ever since it came out, and particularly ever since it made more than a billion dollars in the box office. I'm sure a lot of people are aware that our old friend Ben Shapiro filmed a forty two minute video tearing it apart and his signature preteen stolen valor voice a boy.
Speaker 8: After I watched the movie, me and some friends tried to watch the Ben Shapiro video for fun. We made it like six minutes in, and that everyone forced me to stop.
Speaker 2: Intolerable shit.
Speaker 1: Cowards. Cowards are cowards. But that's yeah. So elsewhere in the right and kind of the less mainstream acceptable chunks of what we'd call the insurgent right around here, various thought leaders attempted to declare the movie stealth conservative propaganda as a way of insisting that its success was really due to it being anti woke. That's silly too. None of this is worth discussing in detail. I promise you all this is not going to be a podcast about the fucking Barbie movie. None of this is worth discussing in detail, save to say that Shapiro's anger at the movie, and particularly its comic relief character Ken, seems to have been the more wide spread response from those kinds of people. Now, because I have made, over the years a lot of poor decisions in my browsing and engaging habits over the years, Twitter sends me a lot of weirdo right wing responses to everything that happens in the world, including this movie. And one of these posts that I caught somewhere in late July or on the twenty second, twenty third, caught my eye. Now, this post features a vapor wave filtered kin photoshopped in front of a burning Viking long house, accompanied by the text exit the long house. Now, when you see something like this and you don't know what they're getting at, like, you have two choices. If you're like, you get like, I don't know, kids, a really demanding job, anything at all going on in your personal life, you scroll right past it. If you're me, you spend like four and a half hours reading various fascist essays about feminism to try to figure out what the fuck a long house has to do with the Barbie movie. Now, the guy who had made this post is a low level fascist political columnist named Lomez. He is, He's kind of on me. He's a little bit of volapild. He doesn't he's not like a very major figure. He's kind of several steps below anyone you've heard of. I would say, like two or three steps standard deviations of fame below like Jack Pisobiec, but his writing has a degree of purchase among the kinds of conservatives who trick Ron DeSantis into running in comprehensible campaign ads with son and rads in.
Speaker 2: Them he has.
Speaker 1: He's like, he's got a little bit of influence among that kind of crew, and he's sort of in the conversation with a lot of those people. I took notice of his post because I'd seen the term long house being used by a couple of these guys off and on, and because Lomes's posts got like three thousand something likes, which meant that, yeah, there's some community out there that that gets what he's talking about. So on a whim, I clicked to viewed the quote tweets for this post, and I found a post by a user named Siege, which is of course a reference to a book about carrying out acts of terrorism in order to bring about a white Ethno state. The post says, ken is you. He is an exaggerated Western man in the twenty first century, anxious, confused, chasing women who don't care about him. He exits the long House and discovers his own will to power. Like you, he decides to bring this knowledge back to his fellow man. And it's you know, I'm gonna I'll show you guys this this post here, it's.
Speaker 2: Pretty it's pretty Nazi. Yeah, pretty pretty pretty Nazi. It's not the best work on Ken, like he guys, looks like a blob.
Speaker 1: No, I will say I have a little bit of respect for the craft here that he didn't just go to an ai that looks like somebody like crudely cut a picture of kin that they have like color inverted and then photoshopped it into a picture of a long house with a fire behind it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's too.
Speaker 8: I will say Siege's description of Ken from the from the from the Barbie movie is pretty accurate to what's in the film.
Speaker 1: M that's good. So what is the long house? What the fuck does a long house have to do with what are otherwise pretty standard neo Nazi esque messaging about, you know, the decadence and failure of modern man and all that kind of shit. And is this dumb fascist memes something that you need to care about now? Unfortunately the answer to that is yes, because all of this ties back to one extremely influential, insurgent right wing ideologue whose followers have been close to the presidency once before and may yet find themselves there again. That asshole is an MI I T graduate named Kostin Alamaru who posts online under variations of the name Bronze Age Pervert. You guys, how aware are you of Bronze Age Pervert or BAP, as he's often known.
Speaker 2: Ah, I've heard of BAP, but maybe only in passing because I wasn't familiar with Bronze Age pervert. Thank you, Yeah, thank you so much for sharing with me today, Robert. Oh, oh, you're going to be so much less happy, Garrison. Are you familiar with this fella?
Speaker 8: I I think I may have only seen stuff from him in passing. I'm not overly familiar now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was kind of my experience until like a month or so ago when I started really digging into the guy. And I don't feel better as a result of having done that. But yeah, we know that this guy's actual name is Kostin Alamariu because of a very recent Atlantic articles like a month ago that this guy got revealed in this article because this writer for the Atlantic was a friend of his, like at mit, like it was just somebody who like and recognized his voice on a podcast. Now, this article, I find it frustrating for a number of reasons. I don't think it's great analysis of BAP's work or what people find appealing in it, or a particularly honest, intellectual look at what this guy has to say. But it does have some interesting reveals, including the fact that bronze age perverts. First public media appearance was a parody audio tour for an exhibition at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts, written by bj Novak, who played Ryan in The Office. Yeah, so that's odd, and it's one of those BJ Novak is not a stealth Nazi, don't worry. But the video or the thing that they put together does kind of fit for like a fascist art project. And I I'm going to read how The Atlantic describes this audio tour they put together together, or put that they assembled together. Novak had recruited a Romanian classmate with a deep voice, and together they'd recorded an audio tour for the exhibition, Tales from the Land of Dragons a Thousand Years of Chinese Painting, with the help of friends. They then slipped cassettes containing their tour into the museum's official audio guides. Art lovers must have wondered about the thick Eastern European accent that greeted them over the twang of a Chinese string instrument. The Romanians soon became opinionated. Personally, he said, I think this painting is a piece of crap. Then deranged, he alluded to his disgusting anatomical abnormalities. He called his listeners decadent in heerialless maggots, and confessed a desire to smash a glass case with a sledgehammer and rip a scroll to shreds with my teeth, which, by the way, are extremely long and sharp, more like fangs than human teeth. At last, he offered an interlude of idiot music while he fumbled with his script. This should keep you occupied, you drooling, imbecile, he bellowed at the listeners, by now either amused or complaining to management. So there's like there's like little little whiffs of degenerate art stuff in there, but it's also just kind of like like a little bit like Max head roomy kind of stuff, like where you're kind of tricking people into into into consuming this like parody artwork thing. Like again, I think this was a pretty innocent joke. On Novak's fall part. But Costin number one probably got picked for this because he's a He's got a thick Romanian accent that he very much plays up. He was noted in this time as kind of talking like Dracula deliberately. He also would always wear these like long and elaborate black coats so that he kind of looked like a Dracula type figure, like he was, you know, he was he was doing a bit. He was putting on like a That was the image he wanted to He wanted to portray himself as to people's kind of like mysterious and Eastern Europeans sort of sort of figure.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Costin first started posting as Bronze age pervert on a series of obscure web forums in twenty ten. In the November of twenty thirteen, he joined Twitter and immediately fell in with a loose community that some people call frog Twitter. And these are you know who these guys are. It's like a general term for anonymous alt right adjacent posters with like pepe avatars. Yeah, and the other group the kind of related people that he fell in with and that he started to have traction with our adherents to a fascist philosopher known as Curtis Jarvin or Minsius Moldbug. Curtis is his real name, Minsius Moldbug is the pseudonym he wrote under Now.
Speaker 2: I know it's a it's these people through this shit, man, it's just so pathetic, like play Dungeons and Dragons.
Speaker 1: Just a solid twenty percent of our fascist problems are like people didn't get a reliable D and D group early enough, like a lot of these I think Balder's Gate three is gonna save us from a lot of these guys in the future.
Speaker 2: It is the antifa computer game. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 1: Curtis Yarvin aka Mensius is a UC Berkeley graduate in computer science who joined the tech industry and got pilled on a strain of anti democratic libertarian theory.
Speaker 2: This is this is like a this is a pathway, man, Yeah, this is perfect well.
Speaker 1: Bronze age pervert also goes into tech after graduating from MIT. Right, and like, you know, a decent number of these guys come out of like Stanford and shit, like it's all, uh, it's all these guys who are, in fact, to some extent like intellectual elites, bronze age perverts.
Speaker 2: Dad is a.
Speaker 1: Teacher at MIT, like just kind of like you look at like Stephen Miller's background, Right. A lot of these guys come out of like liberal academia families.
Speaker 2: But anyway, it's very common.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Curtis comes out of Yeah, gets into the tech industry, and he writes a book kind of while he's working and like he's a he's a founder and stuff for some company. He writes a book in two thousand and one titled Democracy, The God That Failed, follows it up with a series of blog essays, and his writing becomes very influential amongst Silicon Valley proto fascists. Jarvin's ideas in Brief is that the US is run and a lot of Western society is really run by what he calls the Cathedral, which is a mix of professors and journalists who act as a Brahmin class dominating the United States with a progressive state religion. He sees their egalitarian impulses as toxic the destruction of natural civic order, and advocates for his followers to design new architectures of exit to replace the Cathedral with what is effectively a right wing to tatorship. The number one supporter of Curtis Yarvin's ideas and financial backer of him is Peter Teal. Teal has a funded Yarvin's work as a big fan of what he has to say and his philosophy, which is generally referred to as the Dark Enlightenment. And this is when we're talking about the Dark Enlightenment, we're talking like mid aughts is kind of when this stuff starts to really take off. This is before the alt right that kind of becomes really well known nationwide. Is a is A is a major term. This is like in the pre and right around gamer Gate period is when he's really starting to take off with a lot of folks. And he certainly he feeds into the alt right to Trump, you know, and to that period of time. But he's much more on the the pseudo intellectual end of things as opposed to the like hitting folks in the street end of things. That's what he gets a lot of Peter Teal money. So, uh yeah, Bronze age pervert is kind of a He espouses a philosophy that rhymes with moldbugs with Jarvin's philosophy in many ways, but where Jarvin dresses his words and is writing up in a costume version of mainstream academic discourse. Bronze age Pervert is unapot apologetically online and weird, and he writes like somebody who spends too much fucking time on the Internet. A lot of his stuff is cloaked in things that are like half jokes, or at least want to be have plausible deniability of jokes, so that like, if you take them seriously, he can make fun of you for falling for the bit. But he describes himself on Twitter as an aspiring nudist, bodybuilder, free speech and anti zeno estrogen activist, so just the most irritating kind of guy, the normal guy. Much of his politics centers around a worship of ancient Greece, which he believes settled on the scientifically ideal human form. He believes men should engage in bodybuilding and nude sunbathing to emulate the Greeks. And you'll see sometimes his followers be like, oh, you're an idiot if you fell for that. But legitimately half of what this guy posts about is just pictures of bodybuilders and his pictures of himself being looking very jacked like he's he's it's it's that if that's all a bit. Then all he has is this silly bit because it is it is dominant in his content. BAP's Ancient Greek or baps ancient Greeks are incredibly straight and hate women with a passion. One of those things is more or less right Greek like upperclass Greeks, not super pro women. Yeah, not woke. The Cathedral, in his eyes, is an oppressive dictatorship of femininity, if not always of women over masculinity. Cancel culture is a particular topic of his ire, and he seems to see it as basically these that there are traditionally feminine methods of argumentation and conflict, whether or not women are the ones doing them in any given situation. Cancel culture is like the purest expression of this, and he believes that these kind of feminine methods of conflict destroy masculinity and and make cultural progress impossible. They chain men to this kind of like he sees. You know how, a lot of anarchists will talk about how ancient societies hunter gatherer societies and like were often more egalitarian than a lot of like medieval societies classical societies, and this is often a lot of folks do make the mistake of like idealizing these cultures. But like, that's a thing that gets talked about a lot positively by some anarchists and I think obviously worth studying. He takes the opposite tact of like these ancient cultures like light, like people lived in the fucking mud and were miserable, and it was because they weren't a galitarian. It was because the women were dominating the men. Right, this is going to lead us to the long house in short order, but we have somewhat to cover right here. So he focuses a huge amount on anti egalitarian arguments and on supporting a culture dominated by strong, beautiful, powerful people who look like Greek statues and suppress women and anyone else who doesn't look sexy. Basically, you get to feel like that's a big part of it to this guy, like he wants a date a dictatorship of hot, violent men, that's his.
Speaker 2: That's a big part of what he argues with. Has he watched Lenny riefenstyles Olympia, because this scene, Oh god, yeah, I feel like that's.
Speaker 1: Playing in the back of this fucking mind at all times.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, bapp argues that the state in its present form preserves the lives of the weak and feeble minded, allowing them to oppress the naked Aryan bodybuilders, who by all rights ought to run things. The prime repository of his philosophy is his twenty eighteen book Bronze Age Mindset, which was at one point in the top one hundred and fifty books on Amazon. A former Trump White House official Toad Politico in twenty nineteen and if you're a young person, intelligent, adjacent in some way to the right, it's very likely you would have heard of it. In chapter thirty five of his book Bronze Age, the Bronze Age Mindset bap rights quote, should the tyranny that has descended on our age ever gain the power it seeks and then be challenged enough to feel itself in danger? The mass annihilations that will be carried out by homosexual, transsexual, and especially lesbian commissars will exceed in scale and cruelty anything that has yet happened in known history. Imagine lesbian Mulata commissars with young Martin sheen face and haircut manning the future Bergen Belsons installations that will span tens of miles.
Speaker 2: Yep sending you to the transgender goolag.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's it's something else, And it's very funny because like that fucking the Atlantic writer here like talks about how he's he's got this like almost hypnotizing quality to his writing, and he's he's got this really like h fascinating mind that you just want to engage with, and it's I'll read you a fucking quote from this guy's profile on Bronze Age pervert and try not to gag. I consider myself a connoisseur of brilliant lunatics, and I have a high tolerance for their lunacy if it has compensating virtues of say humor or ingenuity. But even I find back worrisome what starts as comedy can become something more sinister and bap shtick. Well sometimes hilarious shows every sign of transforming into a mode of new far right radicalism. He goes on at a various point to be like, yeah, he likes this book that I like. So I was willing to put up with the fact that he was he was bigoted for years because like we would talk about literature together, you know, I just had so much respect for his mind that I was willing to be strung along for a long time. I know, I find this guy kind.
Speaker 8: Of connoisseur, Yeah, connoisseur, A connoisseur of pig ship.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I really love sifting through all the different types of donkey dogs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just can't stick quite enough ship. Uh Yeah, you know what make you become a cornish? There of dog shit? Internet content? What?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: James? What? James?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 2: Woman? Well, it's it's a Washington State Highway patrol.
Speaker 1: Uh, that's that's I hope they are ready for the lesbian commissars.
Speaker 2: Oh you know, I know I am. Yeah, there the work police.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 2: And we'll back.
Speaker 1: We're back, We're back, We're back, We're back.
Speaker 2: We're back. Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: So it was Joseph Conrad's novel Nostromo that that this Atlantic writer and UH and Bronze.
Speaker 2: Age Pervitt both loved.
Speaker 1: Yeah, co herorige another fucking paragraph. For many years we corresponded. Costin's messages arrived regularly, and the tone ranged from friendly and inquisitive to boorish and insulting. I went to South America on assignment. He sent long messages extolling the versues of Jouseph Conrad's Nostromo, which is selt there set there. A friend who reads books like Nostromo and can talk about them is a friend worth putting up with.
Speaker 2: South America. It's fucking not even a fucking country.
Speaker 1: Just yeah, incredible South America. And like, right after that, he says, after about ten years he took to calling my friends, and then he uses a series of slurs. At some point he had begun bodybuilding, and he sent me a picture of himself shirtless with the message, do you.
Speaker 2: Like this pic of me? Again? Say a cuture guy.
Speaker 1: It's just a just a real genius. So Bronzets writings, Yeah, he's obsessing one of the.
Speaker 2: One of the Greeks.
Speaker 1: He's obsessed with because he's he claims it, like frames himself as an expert on Greek society, which he portrays as something of a paradise. But he only knows about like six guys, and one of them is Alcibieties And Alcibietes was an Athenian general and a statesman who was a big player in the Peloponnesian War. He defected from Athens to Sparta, and then from Sparta to the Persian Empire before being recalled and reinstated as an Athenian general. He is a real motherfucker and an interesting guy. And because he was so interesting and kind of he was very charismatic in his own time and this kind of like very shady figure two, he becomes an early celebrity. He's like one of the first famous people that's really out there. And a big part of why he stays famous is that Plato will write a lot about him and Socrates, right, and Plato's at writing I think after they're dead, So a lot of Alcibiades is like a character written by Plato as opposed to the actual historical fact about the dude. It's also worth noting, given how anti queer bap is, that Alies and Socrates were lovers.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Socrates was like famously kind of a simp for Alcibieties, while Alcibieties was kind of a piece of shit to Socrates. A lot of fun stories about that. But these guys were not at all straight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, Pederastie was an institution in ancient Greece. That pederaste is the same as being no, no.
Speaker 1: I don't I don't think that's the same as what was going on with these duodoes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these dudes are just yeah, yeah, yeah, happy for mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Bronze age perverts. Rants are profoundly silly to anyone who wasn't a deranged chud obsessing over white girls don't like him while shooting steroids into his ass. But because that's a fertile demographic, he has influence among some important conservatives form the White House.
Speaker 2: Shot in the technical sense of the word, yeah not not, after all, those steroids using too much. Well, and none of.
Speaker 1: These guys will let themselves touch a walms because they're they're so they're so horrified by the cons of women. So former White House speech writer Darren Beattie followed him on Twitter and interacted with his writing, as did Minnesota State Senator Roger Chamberlain. Curtis Jarvin called him his White House cell leader. This is interesting to me because BAP himself has encouraged his young followers to avoid supporting him in public and instead of hide their sympathies while taking positions in the government to institute his ideas. It's also worth noting that you can find some fans of bronze h pervert on the so called anti woke left. There's clips out there from the red Scare podcast, which the less set about the better, where the two hosts read segments of his book with a what seems like a degree of appreciation, calling it the good kind of racist.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Does that also makes sense in terms of their condess they're like anti feminist stuff that they did.
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, And I think his his writings, he has a very like florid purple prose style. I don't think it's good writing. I don't find it particularly engaging. It's very channy and kind of exhausting. But people who are dumbfall for it. So yeah, yeah, he's hit his demo.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: His influence is significant enough that some conservatives have sought to explain it. I found a fun write up on americanmind dot org that describes his appeal this way. So, what exactly is the teaching of Bronze age mindset and why is it so attractive to so many young men? The answer I think is simple. It is a revitalized paganism obsessed with strength and beauty. It appeals to today's young men because these things, strength and beauty are exactly what contemporary society has tried so hard to deny them. The gospel of son and steel, of vitalism and strength and power are exactly would have been denied to the boys of the Western world, and their spirits militate against this. Everything great ever achieved, Bap tells us, was done through strong friendships between two men or brotherhoods of men. And this includes all great political things, all acts of political freedom and power.
Speaker 2: Now, I should note.
Speaker 1: Part of what he's BAP gets at when he's talking about how these strong groups, friendships of between two men or small brotherhoods of men. He is a big advocate and one of the reasons why he is popular among like the Adam Waffen set is he's a big advocate of his followers forming small two, three, four man groups and training with weapons together and preparing for the future, you know, day of the rope style thing. He doesn't use that term, but he's he's speaking to those people from like a more educated mindset. And there's I think an extent to which you could see his writing as trying to pull in that kind of educated upper crust kids of the upper middle class, you know, with ivy league educations who go into politics trying to draw them in closer to the actual violent insurgent, right, at least in terms of the sympathies of their ideas and support for methods of organizing that are more traditionally found against you know, the Elohim city set, right. I think there is a degree of that going on here now. Bronze Age Pervert is more supportive of Trump than a lot of these guys, largely because he finds him funny and sees him as an avatar of disruption and destruction.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I think it's it's like an accelerationist support.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly exactly, which is actually honestly that Dore's that's perfectly logical because Trump is accelerating both the death of the kind of conservatism that is state loyal that is sort of system loyal, right, the George W. Bush kind of conservatism, which is a.
Speaker 9: Conservative system that's like the two thousands.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Trump is has done damage, terrible damage to that and damage to the structure of the state in the hole. So it doesn't it's to perfectly logical for him to support Trump. He's not like, this is not inconsistent with the other things that he talks about. One of the people that that Atlantic writer talked to is Michael Anton, a former Trump administration national security official who wrote a twenty nineteen essay and the Claremont Review of books about Bronze Age Pervert. He acknowledges that Bapp's work is racist, anti Semitic, anti democratic, misogynistic, and homophobic, but suspect suggested that, like, you know that that's all, that's not you know, that's not necessarily.
Speaker 2: What he really believes.
Speaker 1: Maybe it is, but the big reason why he does this is it key. It distracts leftists from his like his more serious, like secret heresies that are like the real deep, dark arcane wisdom at the center of it, like hang out with your bros and trading with guns or whatever. Or yeah, like heiden the fucking government and waiting for the right moment to strike, but then blow it all up when you make an ad for Ronda Santis, that kind of cleverness.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 1: Anton writes that Bronze Age pervert quote speaks directly to a youthful dissatisfaction, especially among white males, with equality is propagandized and imposed in our day, a hectoring, vindictive, resentful, leveling, hypocritical equality that punishes excellence and publicly deny all differences, while at the same time elevating and enriching a decadent, incompetent, and corrupt elite.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: So what does all this have to do with long houses? Well, let's finally get to that. Longhouse describes a category of dwellings that have existed on basically every land mass and the planet in some form, stretching back to the Neolithic period. These are, in general, large halls, sometimes with private family rooms built into them, sometimes with communal sleeping arrangements, but always organized around a large, single communal hall. In ancient days, these are where feasts would be held and where groups of families or tribes would huddle together in long cold winters. Bronze Age Pervert conceives of the long house as an example of the miserable lives primitive and shameful cultures not his beloved Greeks, lived in before modernity. In his writing, he makes it clear that his fear is rule by degenerates and our fallen modernity will cause society to regress to this prehistoric misery. Now part of his hatred of what he calls long house culture is that, in his mind, these dwellings were dominated by women who forced men to live inside the smoky, cloying, stinking confines. This is not really accurate to any kind of history. I expect his conception here comes largely from the fact that long houses are often suspected because we know relatively little about many of the cultures that had them, are often suspected of having been organized among matrilineal lines. In other words, if you, as a dude, merry a lady, you move into her family's long house. Right, this does sink out. There are modern cultures that that had long houses or have long houses who also live this way, the Iroquois being a good example. Right, there was a long house culture and where which house lived in was matrilineal. But it is a mistake to characterize matrilineal as meaning like the women are completely in charge, because they were not an Iroquois culture, nor many other cultures where longhouses existed. Vikings lived in longhouses, and you might recognize their society as not precisely anti masculine. Yeah, the work vikings, Yeah, the woke vikings. So this is more of a problem though with the conceptions of the Longhouse that are spread by Bab's followers, because again, he's using it as a shorthand for the fact that this kind of like prehistoric darkness of egalitarianism is going to destroy the only thing that, in his view, can bring progress, which is small groups of beautiful men enforcing their will through violence. Right, that's what he talks about when he's talking about the Long House. His followers tend to use the long House as a short end, more of a shorthand for the kind of stuff Curtis Yarvin gets at with the cathedral, a catch all term for progressive modernity, women who get to say no to sex and have their own credit cards, trans people on hormones, vegan meat, substitutes, and yes, the Barbie movie Now. I open this episode with a post about that movie by Lomez, an adherent of Baptism who wrote an interminable article on the Long House for a website called First Things, which describes itself as America's most influential journal of religion and public life.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I bet it is, buddy, And you can tell because they always let you know straightaway.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's true. Yeah, yeah, they really got to hit that up for you. I'm going to quote from that now. Even for those of us who use it, the longhouse evades easy summary. Ambivalent to its core, the term is at once politically earnest and the punchline to an elaborate in joke. Its definition must remain elastic lest it lose its power to lampoon the vast constellation of social forces it reviles. It refers at once to our increasingly degraded mode of technocratic government, but also to wokeness, to the progressive, liberal, and secular values that pervade all major institutions. The most important feature of the long house, and why it makes such a resonant and controversial symbol of our current circumstances, is the ubiquitous rule of the den mother. More than anything, the long House refers to the remarkable over correction of the last two generations towards social norms centering feminine needs and feminine methods for controlling direct and modeling behavior. As of twenty twenty two, women held fifty two percent of professional managerial roles in the US. Women earn more than fifty seven percent of bachelor degrees, sixty one percent of master's degrees and fifty four percent of doctoral degrees. And because they're overrepresented in professions such as human resource management and compliance officers that determined workplace behavioral norms, they have an outsized influence and professional culture, which itself has an outsized influence on American culture more generally so the wall taken over human resources.
Speaker 2: He sounds like he loves to fight with his fosaurus when he's writing that, Like, yeah, at every point, like he's just using unnecessarily long word. Yeah, it's it's I mean, it's also just like women have are dominating society because they they're getting more bachelor's degrees. Yep, that's what it is. Huh okay, uh huh. Yeah, that's a famously useful bachelor's degree, which always leads to employment and power to tremendous wealth.
Speaker 8: Oh.
Speaker 1: Also, and the idea that like human resources are in some degree to somehow setting the terms culturally as opposed to responding to the needs of corporations to mitigate risk. Right, Like right, that's what HR actually is. It's not setting an agenda, it is avoiding lawsuits, it is minimizing exposure whatever. H Lomez also goes on to quote Richard Hannania, an influential conservative thought leader who is revealed recently to be a neo Nazi, or at least someone who regularly wrote neo Nazi things in neo Nazi parts of the web and wants to be seen as respectable. Now, well, we'll talk about him later. Lomez approvingly notes that Hannania echoes a bapist talking point when he discusses how female domination of HR has given them control over public and private institutions. Now again, the way Lomez is talking about this shit is not actually in line with how bronze a pervert conceives of the longhouse. And one of the funnier results of everything that I've been talking about today is that bronze age pervert now spends much of his time on Twitter angrily tweeting at his followers that they're using the long house wrong.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna read you.
Speaker 1: What post it is from July twenty seventh, longhouse has gone crazy out of control.
Speaker 2: Usually misused.
Speaker 1: It's not a synonym for feminism or matriarchy, nor for group consensus, though those are part of the story. It's a concrete image from pre airy in Europe. Of lower life and of most traditional societies. Baby Got Away from You. Yeah, and some of his ire is likely due to the fact that his followers, who are largely very young, tend to apply what they see as his analysis to children's movies. He's here's a real good one. Yeah, this is a it's a post for a picture of like the female villain from the movie Tangled by Activated Sleeper. If you want a good example of the nebulous long house, look no further than mother gothal Fane narcissism driven by resentment and envy of the young, whose primary and most effective weapons are gaslighting, manipulation, and the rhetoric of fanatical safety ism.
Speaker 2: It's good stuff.
Speaker 9: Thank you, Activated Sleeper.
Speaker 8: For you Activated Sleeper exposing that great cutting, cutting commentary on the twenty twelves Tangled.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite recent examples of how many of these guys use the long house was a post in the off my Chest reddit which went viral on Twitter. The post is by a woman who says that she interrupted her husband while he was telling a story and he was like, hold up, Tony Minner, talking as like a joke, and she got angry at this, and they had a fight. One popular bapist response to this story, fifteen hundred likes in counting when I found it, stated, men attempt to take one meeting step out of the long house, and the locks get ten times bigger.
Speaker 2: Jesus Christ. It is.
Speaker 1: It is very silly to like bring up actual history with this, but one of the points you'll find and like writing about long houses traditionally is that because everyone was cooped up in the winter comes spring, the women were generally like doing everything they good to get the men to fucking leave and go hunter something. They get the fuck out of that thing, get out of here, Like, go do something else. We need something we need like a fucking week or two without you hanging around. Go to yeah, go to war, do something. Jesus Christ. Nobody likes being cooped up in a fucking long house anyway. That's that's the long house. That's uh, bronze age pervert. It is kind of worth noting because these guys are convinced that like they are the intellectual vanguard of this movement that's going to overturn what is classically described as liberalism, this idea that like people have like rights that are worth protecting and shit that that's a failed idea. It's obviously failed. Look at how ugly buildings are today. Then they'll post some picture of like the Chicago World's Fair. These people are like weirdly adjacent to the the Tataria conspiracy theory that one hundred years ago the world was ruled by this like vast advanced Russian empire that made all the nice buildings, and then World War two was a secret excuse for the rulers of the world to destroy all the good architecture and that's why buildings are ugly.
Speaker 8: I definitely seen like this bad guy in those in those like circles of people who are like like culture critic or like Greek Greek enjoyer or whatever. Like yeah, those pictures of like like old expensive architecture stuff and mixed in with like like either like uh mostly mostly like brutalist like modern architecture and be like what happened.
Speaker 1: Which way, Well, for one thing, like the society that people like you insisted upon this one in which like value is maximized at all costs. So we we took windows out of my school that was built in that brutalist periods because.
Speaker 2: It kept.
Speaker 8: Because like it's like because some like Prince bankrupted their country building this pretty building, and that's why we don't do that anymore.
Speaker 1: Idiot like you thought, like, yeah, jacked dudes with guns should run everything started a series of wars that bankrupted those countries and they had to sell their nice buildings to the Americans.
Speaker 2: Why we got the London Bridge, I assume.
Speaker 8: But it's it's definitely all that all in like in that in that same rough rough Twitter mill you. I mean, it's certainly now that you've explained all of this at Longhouse stuff, it certainly makes sense why they're kind of fawning over the Barbie movie.
Speaker 9: And I mean very.
Speaker 8: Clearly Ken is going to become one of these like memable characters because of what he does in the film. It's he's he's going to join the pantheon of like American Psycho and uh.
Speaker 9: All of Ryan Gosling's other roles.
Speaker 8: It's it is fascinating how Ry Goslin kind of has become like the literal poster child for much of like the dissident like anti feminist rite just because of the types of roles that he's taken.
Speaker 9: But yeah, I mean, it's it's.
Speaker 1: Really cautionary tale male actors.
Speaker 8: It certainly makes sense in context of the Barbie movie in terms of how they kind of structured all of the like social critique in that in that movie. But but yeah, this is very silly. I mean, uh, it's I'm excited I won't have to hear much more about like the uh, the stunning poetic prose of Bronze Age.
Speaker 4: Perfect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fucking the Atlantic every time. Never.
Speaker 1: It's it's so like weird because there's there's this whole thing that open in the article where he's talking about how like, you know, the the first strains of this new anti democratic, you know, anti liberal thinking in academia came out through philosophy students who you know, realized that their professors just took for granted, you know, the the truth about things like the value of human rights and didn't weren't ready for their arguments against them. And it was these like these people who didn't want to be told not to think in certain ways. No, man, they were assholes. They're asshole rich kids who needed somebody to hit him in the fucking face. They need they need a folding chair deployed on them, Like yeah, yeah, we got to see.
Speaker 8: I demand a shutdown of all coastal universities until we figured out what the fuck is going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I'm sorry if you were pretending that you are, like somehow in the insurgent underground, uh as the son of an M I T professor, going Tom I T yourself like you fucking diletant.
Speaker 2: That's all.
Speaker 1: That's all this fucker is is a dilat hunt. And that's all most of the people following here. It's a mix of dilettants and guys who are going to shoot up walmarts anyway, right, cool.
Speaker 8: Give them, give him a follow, give him a follow, Yeah, checking out activated sleeper and I've learned a lot already.
Speaker 2: So oh yeah, yeah, you're getting killed by him? Yeah yeah, yeah, pretty much. I you know, as much as one can be ill by a fourteen year old. But yeah, really interesting stuff here. I think fair to say that this is an insight into a world. Oh buddy, fuck me, all right, yeah wait, we're not talking about that. We are not talking about his bedroom wall by everyone.
Speaker 1: Oh oh wait, now I got a lotch James, what did we can bleep it?
Speaker 9: You have to at least tell us what you.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, his his pinned. It's fucking good. I'm not sure to get betteran playing Yeah no, what's on the veterans? And what looks like is that a German national? Like a German in there? Is that Imperial Germany? Yeah? I think this guy is a kaiser Reich.
Speaker 1: Dude.
Speaker 9: Impressive, I'm sure, I'm sure all the ladies in there.
Speaker 1: I gotta I gotta show you guys this pinned tweet and then I'll read it. It's all caps fed. Let me tell you how much I want a FED post. There are a hundred billion neurons within my brain. If a FED post was written on each and every one those neurons, it would not equal one billionth of the compulsion I feel feel the FED post at this micro instant fed post, FED post that means posting about doing a terrorism So that.
Speaker 8: This is the type of tweet that could either come from the sun like like mentally unwell leftist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. The flag he has, just to be clear, it's a franco Is flag of Spain, which, okay, is something that something that we will have to talk about, which is the American right has been embracing franco As like based and good uh for a while now like it's just kind of returned to Catholic tradition and like it's just anti woke crusader.
Speaker 8: I do like call of the suggestion follows here on activity Sleepers page, son Optimist.
Speaker 2: Aleric, the Barbarian Emperor Philippus.
Speaker 7: These people are such birds.
Speaker 1: Here's he's reached a post from Bronze Age Jacob Eurowski Jews are like the one ring for politics.
Speaker 9: I think I think, I think I think we reached the I think we reached peak peakfulness. I don't think.
Speaker 2: Yes. I hope you've all learned a lot from this. Have a wonderful week, every wonderful week, and funk you for making me write this to our listeners.
Speaker 6: Welcome to Dick It Appon Here, a podcast where if you're listening to this episode is the middle of the week, you probably know you know what this podcast is, you know what it's about. I'm your host, Mia Wong. Now, if you've been reading the news about China at all in the past few years, you've probably at least heard of China's Belton Road initiative, probably followed by a stream of almost panicked fear mongering about China displacing America's role in the world and luring countries, and the debt traps that allow the CCP to seize control of the country's assets and then its entire foreign policy, and all of this begs the question what actually is Belton Road. This is not a simple question because Belton Road isn't really a coherent, single project at all. It is effectively a marketing term slapped onto an enormous array of loans, investments, some things that are effectively grants, infrastructure projects, and special economic zones across the world. The money for these projects comes from a variety of Chinese banks and sometimes just like government agencies like the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and involve a vast array of different Chinese companies and contractors. So what are these banks and companies and governments actually up to. I'm going to run through three examples to get a sense of the kind of program that composes Belton Road. One very common program is extending lines of credit to state oil companies of oil producers in order to secure china supply of oil. I'm starting here because this is not typically what people think of when someone brings up Belton Road, and it gets at a couple of the central complexities of Belton Road. One is, you know, a lot of this stuff is just, in some sense almost ban all attempts to just sort of secured natural resources by paying money for them and investing money in them, which is you know, very very standard sort of capitalist behavior. But another complexity of this aspect of Belton Road is that these loans to oil producers were happening well before Belton Road ever existed. The credit lines were simply absorbed into Belton Road when the project was announced in twenty thirteen, and now these loans are considered Belton Road projects. This is a very common thread in Belton Road. Much of the vaunted one trillion dollars of investment in Belton Road projects comes from, you know, the extension of pre existing projects, which really sort of puts into perspective all of those like very very scary like maps that you'll see where they're like one hundred blah blah blah countries have accepted Belton Road projects. It's like, well, yeah, okay, like how much of that's new and how much of that is just people who had like some random agreement with China.
Speaker 4: Beforehand.
Speaker 6: Now, lest you think the fact that China is giving like, you know, a bunch of money to like Brazil State Oil Company, means that like this, the whole Belton Road thing has something to do with socialism. Here's a quote from China's thirteenth five Year Plan quote, we will speed up efforts to implement the free Trade Area strategy, gradually establishing a network of high standard free trade areas. We will actively engage in negotiations with other countries and regions along the route of Belton of the along the routes of the Belton Road Initiative on the building of free trade areas. Now, this is the ancient neoliberal dream.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 6: It is a dream of a world where corporations can freely move their comb use across borders while maintaining, you know, zones of just unlimited exploitation of workers and special economic zones. Now, speaking of sort of the condition of workers, let us move to a more typical belt and road project, Jamaica's North South Highway. In twenty fourteen, at the astounding cost of seven hundred million dollars, the Jamaican government opened the North South Highway. Here's from an article that was republished in laoson quote. Since Jamaica needed a Chinese loan to finance the highway, Chinese Harbor Engineering Company was granted the right to own and operate the highway for fifty years as part of the arrangement. Also, the tolls collected on the highway cannot be used for debt servicing and rather go to the China Harbor Engineering Company directly as profit. Additionally, the tolls are astronomical by local standards. To drive the length of the highway, and a standard car costs the equivalents of over twelve dollars each way. This is well out of reach for the vast majority of Jamaican's where the average monthly salary is about six hundred dollars and only sixty percent of workers have a waged or salaried position at all. Many of my respondents wondered for whom was this highway. The answer may lie in the additional concessions granted to the China Harbor Engineering Company, primarily twelve hundred acres of land across the highway to be held in perpetuity. Apparently, this will be used to construct hotels and adjoining infrastructure by Chinese companies for Chinese tourists, a kind of economic enclay from which locals would not benefit directly, as acknowledged by the then Jamaican Minister of Transport. Now, this sucks for Jamaican workers who you know, didn't get any of the money from the contract, which you know went through Chinese firms.
Speaker 2: That input and these workers.
Speaker 9: And it's also not.
Speaker 4: A great deal for.
Speaker 6: Like the Jamaican government, which is enormous about of debt and gets seemingly very little for this. And this begs the question why do countries agree to this? Now, the short answer is that they need money for development projects, and you know, for a poor country, that money is very hard to come by. Part of the popularity of the project is that economies who've been through the you know, the just devastating process of IMF structure reforms, who've had literally their entire economy and social system torn apart, who have literally watched food being taken from the mouths of their children in order to pay off IMF loans, are looking for literally any alternative. And as we've discussed on this show before, Jamaica itself was the first country to be looted by the IMF as the Social Democratic government was forced to shred as well for a state in its economy in the seventies as a condition for getting IMF loans. This history and the current day threat more of these structural adjustments should you attempt to go to the IMF for more loans, make it more likely that countries will turn to Belton Road rather than the IMF to deal with their complete lack of development and to stave off economic crises resulting from the fact that their government has completely run out of money. And this is something even liberal imperialist institutions will admit. Here's from the Council on Foreign Relations Belton Road Task Force report quote. In contrast to loans from traditional providers of development finance, China's loans are generally not concessional, and the Chinese Development Bank and the Export Import Bank of China expect to make a return on their investments. The loans also lack Paul conditionality, They contain fewer no exceptions of host country economic policy or political reforms. Now, the Council on Foreign Relations concludes this with a very slick line that goes quote for many Belton Road initiative countries, especially authoritarian regimes. This is an attractive package, especially compared with other lenders who insist on reforms tied to loans. Now, okay, when do you hear the words, you know, when do you hear that authoritarian regimes don't want to do the quote reforms tied to loans. That makes it sounds like the quote unquote reforms are like, you know, you dictators seed power to a democracy. Woke at IMF funding. That is not that is not how i am F loan conditions work. What those reforms actually entail is much closer to sell every state out asset in the country to abund of American investors. We will leave your children to.
Speaker 2: Die, now, you know.
Speaker 6: And this leads into some other stuff that the Council on Foreign Relations talks about a lot, which is, you know, they have entire giant sections about corruption on Belton Road programs, to which you know, the immediate response is like, man, do you know how much money the IMF gave Pinochet? They gave him over a billion dollars in nineteen eighties, money that he is like three billion dollars in today's money. Now, clariously, the other people who gave Pinochet a boatload of money was the Chinese Communist Party, although you know, orders of magnitude last, because this is this is like the seventies Chinese Communist Party who do not have much money, but they had enough money apparently to give a bunch of the pinochet. And it's at this point that I want to remind everyone that China is the third largest voting member of the IMF, which is a real issue for both the sort of liberal and pro CCP accounts of the conflict between the CCP and the IMF over providing loans.
Speaker 9: Because you know, contrary to the way both.
Speaker 6: Of these groups seem to think about sort of the modern capitalist economy, China is not a you know, an old communist radical like throwing stones at the liberal order from outside the house. They are parts of the global financial institutions. And to the extent that like you know, China can be fighting an institution that it is also a part of right to the sense of to the sent that that even makes sense to talk about. What you're really talking about is just inter capitalist competition over who gets to give people loans. Now, there's other interesting stuff in this report, like an admission that the Chinese you know, the sort of Chinese debt trap narrative is overblown, and this is true. The sort of like case study in about like a Chinese company taking a port in Sri Lanka is not It's not exactly like the story that everyone thinks it is. And you know, like the Chinese company like got the port after like a bidding process and stuff.
Speaker 2: So you know, and this is true.
Speaker 6: And the fact that it's been used sort of like hyped up to do fear mongering is absolutely true. However, the thing the Council in Foreign Relations can't actually sort of say is that the actual conclusion that you get if you look closely at sort of combination of you know, country like Sri Lanka that has both IMF loans and like loads from China is that all of the lenders in the global capitalist economy absolutely suck and they all exploit the working class and the deador countries like in their own ways. Do you know who else exploits the working class of debtor countries? It is the products and services that support this podcast and we're back now. What is notable about Belton Road is that Belton Roads infrastructure projects usually do actually get built, but for all of the sort of screaming about like China's geopolitical expansion, its attempt to subvert the Democrats, subvert the democratic order. The actual reason why these projects, unlike you know, so many other large scale development projects, actually happen and you know, actually do get built, is much more banal. It is a product of internal Chinese economics. So to explain this, I'm going to turn to another example of a type of Belton Road project giving countries loans to buy telecommunications and internet equipment from Chinese companies. Here's some dot org. China's demand for infrastructure, including communications and internet gear, is not as high as it used to be, said Chinese Development Big President Jang Gigi. So what can we do with the excess production capacity. We can only send it abroad. We may give you loans to buy Chinese equipment and materials, but there must be a Chinese element, Jang told AFP of his bank's loans to help Chinese firms abroad. Now this is an interesting quote for a number of reasons. Recent sort of American and also Canadian. The Canadians went wild over this concern around Chinese telecom companies. Have you know argued that the spread of Chinese economy communication technology is like a geopolitical power grab by the CCP, a Chinese development bank. However, kind of like lets the actual game slip, which is that the reason for these loans, and you know, a major impetus for the sort of broader Belt and Road initiative is finding a solution to Chinese production over capacity, which is the giant structural problem which sort of hangs like the doom of Damocles over the Chinese economy. And this is incredibly important. Foreign policy analysts have a tendency which is replicated in the media to think about Belton Road is fundamentally a geopolitical tool. Take for example, this line from Foreign Policy quote will the developing world fall through China sway? Many policy makers in Washington, DC certainly fear so, which is one of the reasons they have created the new International Development Finance Corporation, which is slated to begin operating at the end of this year. Like the Marshall Plan, which in post World War two years used generous economic aid to fight the appeal of Soviet Communism in Western Europe, the International Development Finance Corporation aims to help Washington push back against Beijing sweeping Belton Road initiative. Now, fascinatingly, the authors don't seemed to understand what the Marshall Plan actually was. Now, the Marshall Plan, you know, despite what you will like probably read in sort of like mainstream like diplomatic histories, was not like originally was not really driven by anti communism at all. It was in large part a product of massive industrial overcapacity in post war In the post war US, particularly in the automotive sector, demand from the domestic American market couldn't support the enormously expanded auto industry's industrial capacity. And so the auto industry went to Congress and tried to get them to rebuild Europe as like, you know, another market that they could sell there, you know, that they could sell cars to that could absorb the product or of throbic capacity. The only way they could actually get this to work was to tie it to a raft of anti communism. And this is now how the project is remembered as this, you know, as this sort of like grand anti communists like political strategy, you know. And in this sense, Belton Road can be understood as China's Marshall Plan. It is a bold attempt to forge an international solution to its domestic economic problems. And this means to actually understand what Belton Road is, we need to go back to the beginning. In response to the financial collapse of two thousand and eight, China carry out what was until COVID the largest stimulus in human history, an incomprehensibly large Kinesian program focused on internal infrastructure development designed to shock the Chinese economy back into shape, and it worked for about one year. In twenty ten, the Chinese economy hit ten percent a year on yr GDP growth, and it has been falling ever since. In twenty eleven, the round of global uprisings kicked off by the Arab Spring, hit China in the form with the Wukan riots and a wave of strikes, and by twenty thirteen, a year into the first new Chinese presidents, Chichiping, the economy was doing terribly and the government was still not out of the woods politically either. In response, the government announced two programs within about four months of each other, Belton Road and the so called Mini Stimulus, another Chinese stimulus package aimed at improving Chinese rails at the proper term for it, and it ended improving the Chinese train network. Now, these two programs were effectively the same response to the economic crisis fased by the CCP. Rising wages of strike activity and later environmental protests were threatening the profitability of the Chinese manufacturing sector in its traditional coastal urban sector.
Speaker 2: Is like Shenzhen.
Speaker 6: The solution then was to move Chinese capital towards the interior of the country, into more rural areas with lower wages, and then build an infrastructure network to export Chinese commodities abroad. This move serves several purposes at the same time. On the one hand, cheaper rural workers are less likely to organize either strikes or environmental protests. On the other hand, some kind of rural investment could secure rural factional support for the Party at a time when the rural Ukon riots meant that such support was anything but assured. But even in twenty thirteen, it was clear that the vaunted Chinese transition to a consumer economy was going to fail because and this is really blindingly obvious if you think, if you think about how the Chinese economy works for like ten seconds, Okay, in order to have a consumer economy, you must have a class of consumers. Now, this requires average people to have a thing called money, and both Jesionping and the Chinese capitalist class were broadly just absolutely resolutely refuse to do anything that involves paying Chinese workers more, which is what you need to make this happen, and they just refuse to do it. It is genuinely stunning.
Speaker 9: Xi Jinping.
Speaker 6: Xi Jinping would literally rather force like the force the randomly the head like the CEOs of corporations to give money to charity and call it a government program before he would like fucking raise a minimum wage. So you know, if you're in twenty thirteen, right, you can see the writing on the wall. You can see the Chinese economy isn't going to like turn into a consumer economy. There's been, you know, there's been some transition into like a service based economy, but like you know, ask ask the US how growth that a service based economy works for you. And because they've seen the writing on the wall, Chinese capitalists start looking for ways to make money overseas, and this overlaps with a growing demand to do something with the enormous reserves of American dollars that China has from like basically propping up the US economy by buying like a trillion dollars of US bonds in the two thousands and early twenty tens. And like you think I'm joking when I say, like e trillion dollars, but it is actually around a trillion dollars. Well, okay, this is where I need to make an enormous disclaimer. Why okay, it is atrociously difficult to get reliable economic statistics out of China, to the point where, like the Chinese central government when they get data from their own provinces, who are legally required to report data to them, they have to mess with the data to make it make literally any sense at all. They have these they have these equations that that they like apply to the statistical data from the provinces they get that are effectively attempts to calculate how much the provinces are lying to the central government and how you know, and try to figure out a way to fix it. And you know, they are doing things. They are doing things like that, they're doing things out of like the old late Soviet Union. They are they are they are using satellite pictures to check how much light there is from factories at nights. They are like measuring how many freight trains are like going into a province and trying to use that to estimate their actual industrial capacity.
Speaker 2: It is wild.
Speaker 6: And that is just the CCP trying to figure out its own numbers. And that means, right that the numbers the CCP actually decides to release when they're done trying to get the data to look kind of real so they can understand what's going on in their own economy.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: So there's that data which is unreliable because again, like you're dealing with, everyone is lying to you, but what the data is, but in the data of the CCP actually releases. Oh boy, So we're gonna come back to this in a little bit. But Chinese youth unemployment right now is twenty percent. And the CCP's response to this is they've announced that they refused to release any more youth unemployment numbers until they finish like recalculating it or something. So great stuff, amazing stuff happening in the world of Chinese satistical addicxes.
Speaker 2: It is awful. I don't wish this on anyone.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Now, all of this is to say that the case I'm about to make is probably true, Like there's like a ninety percent chance that what I'm about to say is true, but we don't one hundred percent know because it relies on Chinese economic data that is incredibly sketchy, and a lot of this has turned into this sort of like game of financial hide and seek with all these assets that are in weird places. But what seems to have happened is that a lot of built in road projects are being funded by Chinese for inch just change research, which is those trillions of dollars of like bonds I was talking about earlier. Of that, you know, we're moved from the People's Bank of China which is China Central Bank to like other banks, and then those banks use that to do investments. And this appears to be some of the money that was used to fund belt and road projects. And this is where things get very sketchy. Now, these banks seem to initially have been flushed with capital, which you know, contributed to a massive like as as the product is initially starting and up through about twenty eighteen, like it's just you know, it just keeps the amount of money going into this keeps increasing, keeps increasing, and then twenty eighteen, it starts to slow. And then after the pandemic, and particularly after like twenty twenty twenty two, like the amount of money that's going into belt road projects has imploded, and the amounts of loans that the CCP is writing off has just diminished enormously. Now, Okay, this is the sketchy part. You will see a lot of people if you look into this, who are going to argue that the reason that these loans have sort of dried up and the reason that this has been decreasing is that China is like burning through its reserve of foreign exchange, like it's burnning out of its burning burning through its reserve of like US dollars that it has its banks. This may be true, maybe it's probably not true of like twenty eighteen, because and this is the thing that's been discovered very recently, a lot of Chinese's like a lot of things that like are technically foreign exchange reserves were like technically aren't qualified classified as foreign exchange reserves because they've been weird stuff has happened to the balance sheet. I don't know, it's kind of a mess, but like it seems like China has way way larger. They have these things called shadow reserves that are the things that they've been using to like turn for x into like investments, and this seems to this seems to indicate that China has like way way larger foreign exchange reserves then it tacnically are on the balance sheet. So what the actual relationship between how much forward exchange reserves China has and how much money is putting into belt in run.
Speaker 4: We don't know.
Speaker 6: It's a disaster, but what we do know is that these investments were not like sort of like mere geopolitical tools, right, These investments were actually designed to make money, and that means that they were and still are, an attempt to solve sort of the weakness of the Chinese economy by finding ways to invest capital with better returns than the absolutely terrible and increasingly dogshit rates that you can find in China. And this is something that we've been seeing, you know, in the last year, We've been watching sort of the dogs come like the chickens come home to roost for the Chinese economy, where like, you know, all this debt build ups paying off. Why I say it paying off all this debt build up is you know, like really starting to damage the economy, like the housing is kind of imploding, and you know, Belton Road was supposed to be sort of the answer to this. Right, If you combined, if you combine the fact that we know for a fact that these loans are an attempt to actually like generate returns, and we also know that these loans are a way to sort of stimulate demand for Chinese goods that there's no domestic market for, we get this clear picture of what's really driving Belton Road. It's the crisis of Chinese capital, which in and of itself is just sort of a global reflection of the global crisis of overproduction under consumption that's haunted the world since the nineteen seventies. Now, there's one last aspect of Belton Road that we need to talk about that gets way less attention than any other aspect of the initiative. Belton Road also acts as a work program for a very specific kind of Chinese worker. Belton Road projects, as you see in Jamaica, are run by Chinese corporations almost always, I mean occasionally other firms get contracted. Mostly it's Chinese corporate and they import Chinese workers to do the work. And you know, we've looked at it from the Jamaican end, where you know, Jamaican workers are getting screw odd jobs and wages, but we should also look at it from the perspective of Chinese workers as well. Working in China, as we've discussed elsewhere extensively sucks ass. Wages are dogshit, the hours are inhuman, and there's intense competition for what.
Speaker 4: Jobs do exist.
Speaker 6: On the other hand, salaries for Chinese workers on built in road projects are much much higher than they are for the same job in China. Amazingly, Chinese corporations abroad actually have less ability to just not pay people for their work, which is, you know, the thing that you know, usually the first thing that rich people are trying to do when they when they have our face with having to pay someone in Chinese corporations absolutely constantly attempt to just not pay their workers. And as a bonus to that, on top of the fact that you're like actually getting paid, and you're getting paid way more of you would for working a job in China, these these Belton road jobs have a much faster promotion track and the cost of living is much lower than it is in China. Which allows workers to save money and cent remittances back home. That mean this means that Belton Road jobs, which are specifically, you know, in sort of like nationalist circles, conceptualized as quote Africa, which is oh boy, is seen as you know, it's seen as a way out for Chinese workers. And we actually talked about this a long time ago in our Lying Flat anti work episodes. Part of the origins of Lying Flat was his reaction to this sort of like nationalist discourse but like finding your own personal Africa to break out of like Chinese involution. And you know, from this kind of like ulternationalist, like really racist like concept, you get this like left wing backlash of co opting of like the refusal to work that is you know, lying flat. But for our purposes right now, the important thing about this is Belton Road was a solution to a sort of new like highly educated Chinese working class who you know, were suddenly realizing that like this education that they put literally everything into and this like they sunk their entire lives into, was just going to get them nowhere. And you know, Belton Road appeared as a sort of mirage of way out. But it's not it's not a way out for Chinese workers. It's it's its own kind of imperialism. It's the same sort of shit that oil companies do where they said highly paid American workers to oil wells in Nigeria to avoid having to deal with, you know, a class of skilled and politically sophisticated Nigerian oil workers. It's the same kind of sort of racial divide and conquer that funds Chinese workers at the expense of workers in Jamaica, and that ultimately is the core of both Belton Road and the American response to Belton Road. It is a desperate attempt to keep the embers of capital burning by lighting the working class on fire, feeding it to the flames.
Speaker 2: Hi. Everyone, it's me James today and I'm joined by Meghan Bodette, who's the director of research at the Kurdish Peace Institute. We're picking up where we left off at the end of last week to discuss more about the Autonomous Administration in North and Eastyria and perhaps more specifically, to talk about the detainees the ISIS detainees in the Al Whole camp and in other camps around there.
Speaker 10: How are you, Megan, I'm doing well, thank you, James, thank you for having me on for this important conversation about a really critical security and humanitarian issue that we're seeing in north east Syria these days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks, thanks for joining us. So I think start out with would you be comfortable giving a sort of baseline explanation of what's happening with these ISIS detainees and why, despite the fact that many of them are citizens of other countries, they haven't been a returned there.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's a very important place to start with. So essentially, after the territorial defeat of ISIS in twenty and nineteen by the Syrian Democratic Forces and the International Coalition, the Syrian Democratic Forces and the Autonomous Administration, which is the political body governing Northeast Syria ended up with tens of thousands of ISIS detainees and the family members of these ISIS members as well. And in the Alhol camp you now have a population of essentially ISIS affiliated women and the children of ISIS members who are now housed in that camp as well. And this camp is a serious humanitarian issue. You have these children who are in very difficult conditions. It's a massive security problem for these surrounding Syrian and Iraqi communities that were victimized by ISIS and the world. ISIS openly wants to reconstitute itself. It is operating inside the camp clandestinely to reconstitute itself. It wants to break prisoners out and go right back to its genocidal policies against minorities in the region like Zidis and Christians, and to continue terror attacks not only in Iraq and Syria but around the world. It's also a real drain on the resources of the Autonomous Administration and the SDF themselves, who we have to remember are not a state actor, but are dealing with the sort of problems that even the wealthiest and most militarily established state actors would have trouble with. So they've ended up in this unenviable position of having to take care of essentially criminals from around the world who came to their country to commit mass atrocities, while the victims of these ISIS crimes across Northern and Eastern Syria and victims of the subst Turkish invasions that a Northern and Eastern Syria suffered during and after the fight against ISIS really lack basic resources. Now, this is something I heard a lot on the ground when I was in the region in February and March, speaking to people from Afrin, which was invaded and occupied by Turkey in twenty eighteen, and to people from Serkanya and Telabyad, which were invaded and occupied by Turkey in twenty nineteen. Many of them asked rightly why there were so many resources from international bodies and NGOs and governments provided towards the ISIS detainees in al Hole and the ISIS affiliated individuals there, when their communities, their families who had done nothing other than simply living in areas that Turkey decided to invade and occupy, who were displaced because of that in what experts, including myself, would refer to as ethnic cleansing. These communities are receiving nothing from the international community. You know, they feel forgotten and they have some serious questions about that. Of course, the Autonomous Administration has many needs and many pressing security problems that it simply can't devote enough resources to when it's tasked with managing the world's ISIS members. So in a recent study that we published at the Kurdish Peace Institute by journalist Matt Broomfield, who spent a lot of time on the ground in northeast Syria during and after the defeat of ISIS. He found that just four percent of foreign ISIS fighters held by Syrian Kurdish authorities have been repatriated since twenty nineteen four percent. The most of the repatriations have been women and children, not the fighters themselves, who are housed in prisons. But of course the women and children are a humanitarian issue and a security issue too, so think about that. Those are really dangerous numbers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think that differentiation between fighters and women and children is interesting and perhaps one we should like pick apart a little bit, because we talked about this before we recorded. There's a betrayal certainly of like Western women who went to join ISIS as having been sort of victims in their own right, which some of them were very young, right and might not have been making adult choices at that time. And that's one thing. But like a lot of these people willingly participated in an extremely oppressive and violent regime, and they sort of a being that they're often not portrayed as such in the press. Is that fair to say?
Speaker 10: Absolutely? Look what I always go back to when I talk about this issue is reading accounts from Uzb women and children who survived ISIS captivity, who said on multiple occasions that the women were no less brutal than the men, and that they were willing participants in every aspect of the worst of ISIS crimes of genocide, of crimes against humanity, against the zd people and of course all the other peoples that ISIS targeted. So that I think when you have these genocide survivors saying that no, these women participated fully in these crimes. They facilitated these crimes, They made this system of genocide of crimes against humanity possible. That's something we have to listen to. And I'm glad that you bring up the Western media portrayal because you really you see this idea that the women could not have been perpetrators themselves, when what we hear on the ground is that that's not true, and what legal cases have begun to find is that that's not true either. There's been trials in Europe for ISIS affiliated women for their complicity in acts of genocide against the Auzeti community. And you know, one point that you hear very commonly on the ground is that. How can there have only been one or two, just a handful of trials. I'm not sure the exact number. But after all of these people missing, all of these people killed, how are all of these ISIS members? And that's why I said, you know ISIS affiliated women, because I don't think I do agree with you. It's a disservice to just refer to them as ISIS brides or whatever sensationalistic media framing you have. These people simply aren't being put on trial. And one of the reasons for that is that when we come to female members of ISIS, there is this perception, both in media and from governments, from international institutions, that these women are victims that because they're women, because they subscribed willingly to a political and ideological system that was very, very oppressive of women, that puts women only into certain roles as housewives, as mothers of the next generation of ISIS, that these women couldn't have committed atrocities.
Speaker 2: But they have.
Speaker 7: They did.
Speaker 10: And you know what we're hearing right now, and some of the reporting that's coming out of Northeast Syria is that even within the camps, these women have continued to commit some of the most serious abuses that ISIS has been committing. There's reports that they have raped, sexually assaulted the teenage boys who are in the camp in order to essentially become pregnant and raise more children to create that next generation of ISIS that they seek to create. And so this continued perpetration of sexual violence against these boys who've done nothing other than had the misfortune to have their parents be members of ISIS. You know, this is a very very serious allegation. The reporting about this is something that needs to be taken very seriously. Like I said, this is a massive human rights crisis for these children and it is you know, these women are no less dangerous and no less culpable for their crimes than their male counterparts who joined ISIS.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's just very fair to say, And it's somewhat of a like sexist outlook to be like a women couldn't have had agency in the way that men clearly have been held accountable for. And I think it's the last issue you raised. It's obviously pretty horrible, but also we should at least dig into a little bit. I think like the ongoing like not only the abuse of children, but like the sort of attempt to indoctrinate children into that same like extremist ideology, the attempts to even like I've seen videos of kids training with little wooden guns, and yeah, I'm sort of raising another generation of people who believe in this kind of hateful outlook. And can you talk a little bit about how common that is or how I guess you don't know entirely, but can you speak to that a little bit.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean that is something that none of us know how common it is because of the sort of difficulty of accessing that information. But if you look at what is coming in from sources from North and East Syria, from international reporting on the camp, these women are indoctrinating their children into the ISIS ideology. They have said many times over and many of their communications that their goal is to raise the next generation of ISIS fighter. There's no reason to believe that the majority of these women have given up on their beliefs, and there is evidence that this is what they're trying to do. And of course, when you look at the broader situation that these children are in, it's a situation that's exceedingly conducive to radicalization because of the poor conditions in the camps because of the fact that they remain with their mothers, many of whom believe firmly in ISIS ideology and who see the role of women in ISIS as doing exactly that, as passing down this ideology. And you know, when these children they can't be safely repatriated to their countries, they can't be put into safe environments where they can receive the support they need, the positive influences, they need, any kind of medical or psychological help that they need in these conditions, it's inevitable that you're going to have the continuation of this ISIS ideology being perpetrated and the adults there, these women cantinuing to pass this down on these children, who again have done nothing to be put in the situation that they're in. They're continuing to be victimized by the actions of their parents and the other ISIS members. So and the international community too, as it fault here for refusing to repatriate at least these children and to try ISIS perpetrators of war crimes, criinds against humanity and genocide.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in some cases they've even been like had their citizenship stripped from them of the countries that they came from, the UK have done that for example, right, which is kind of just failing to do anything to acknowledge it, like this is an international problem that they.
Speaker 9: Have help completely.
Speaker 10: And that's something we can get into, is the international dynamic surrounding these issues, because it's obviously very closely related to the ISIS issue, but it touches on so many other very internationalized conflicts as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's do that. Perhaps before we explain the way the nations that are more distant from this are engaging with it, we should talk about how nations that are more proximal to this are engaging within specifically how at times it seems like Turkish drone strikes, which we've discussed previously on our podcasts so people be familiar with them, have the very least not helped the SDF to keep these camps secure, right, And in some cases it's you can see, like there's a video that the YPJ have of like these people celebrating a drone strike inside the camp, And can you talk about the impact these drone strikes have.
Speaker 10: Look something that has been reported by journalists, by local sources, and by all sorts of international researchers and experts since the earliest days of the war against ISIS is that Turkey wanted ISIS to succeed in it's mission of taking over northern Iraq and northern Syria in order to not only destroy Kurdish political and military structures operating there, including the YPG, the YPJ, the later the SDF, and the Autonomous Administration, but also to destroy the social base for any form of Kurdish autonomy, any kind of multi ethnic project to potentially be able to exist there, either now or in the future. And this facilitation of the rise of ISIS reached such a level that you've had legal experts through the Yazidi Justice Committee, which published an in depth report on this last year, find based on a review of the evidence that Turkey was quote complicit in the commission of genocide end quote by ISIS by allowing fighters to cross its borders to join the group, allowing ISIS related economic activity to go on, and other forms of facilitation of the rise of ISIS when it was committee its most serious crimes. So this is not something new. The way that these drone strikes specifically impact this issue. They're part of the broader Turkish campaign of aggression against Northeast Syria. Obviously, the two ground invasions of Afrin and of Sera Kanya and Talabyad had very negative impacts on the fight against ISIS and the drone strikes. Now, first of all, they make it difficult for any SDF or autonomous administration structure to simply do the day to day work of providing security and providing the government. You know, if a government official or a member of the local security forces has to modify their behavior, has to modify where they go, how they interact with their constituents. You know, what kind of missions they can conduct to avoid being assassinated in a drone strike, They're simply not going to be as effective. Right, So this is a problem in many areas. It certainly impacts the counter ISIS mission, and Turkey has specifically started to increasingly target ans, SDF and Asayish internal security forces personnel who are directly engaged in counter ISIS missions. We saw this in late twenty twenty two when there were severe Turkish air operations following a bombing in Istanbul that Turkey, based on all evidence, falsely attempted to attribute to Kurdish groups despite there being no real evidence supporting that claim. These attacks targeted civilians, civilian infrastructure, and SDF forces engaged in key counter ISIS missions, including SDF forces involved in securing the Alhole Camp. And now we've even started to see in addition to these anti SDF anti Autonomous Administration drone strikes, Turkey's been using drones to fire essentially warning shots at the international coalition led by the US and the other coalition countries itself. We saw this in November when there were a drone strike on the joint SDF coalition base where the SDF and the international community worked together to plan ongoing counter ISIS missions, and earlier this year, in i believe April of this year, the drone strike on Sulimania International Airport in Iraqi, Kurdastan, where there was a joint SDF coalition convoy where SDF Commander in Chief Muslim Kobani was present and US forces were also present. That strike, for all intents and purposes, was Turkey's attempt not only to threaten the SDF and the Autonomous Administration, but to threaten the coalition as well, specifically for its continuing counter isis partnership with Syrian Kurds. So this has risen to a level where Turkey is not only using these to disrupt governance and security at the local level in the Autonomous administration, it's not only using them against locally led SDFYPG led counter ISIS missions, but Turkey is using drones to threaten the entire global counter ISIS campaign, of which on paper is formally a member.
Speaker 2: So there you go, Yeah, and Turkey is kind of it's we've talked about this again before, how it pressured like newer NATO members Finland and Sweden to even stop accepting Kurdish refugees, right, It's yeah, while at the same time being a member of NATO and as you say, also like drone striking other members of NATO. It's certainly like it's making it as hard as possible for people in this part of the world to have the stability and peace and the things that they fought so hard for for such a long time. I wonder if you can talk about, like, so, what is the into as far as the international community exists, which is a pretty nebulous thing to really kind of pin down, but is what is specifically like this US led coalition to the feat ISIS. I think they call it doing to help, and I guess a little more broadly, building on that, this coalition has a very narrow focus in a place where there are a lot of different aggresses to include various other Islamist groups, to include the Turkish State and obviously the day the state in Syria. Can you explain a little bit about how the mission of this coalition is narrow in a way that helps it doing the things that people on the ground they need to ensure peace and stability.
Speaker 10: Yeah, exactly. That's a really important question because, as you said, this international relationship with North Eastyria is very narrowly built on a counter ISIS focus, which means a military focus. So there's relationships between security forces and security forces. What we don't see our political relationships. And this connects to a wide variety of issues related to this immediate problem of ISIS, of securing ISIS prisoners, of bringing perpetrators of genocide and war crimes to justice, but it also connects to the deeper problem of the kind of long term stability in Syria that's necessary to end this ongoing civil war, to bring justice to the victims of ISIS and to all other abuses and atrocities during the twelve years of conflict in Syria, and to prevent the next endless war in this region from inevitably taking place in the future. So we have this narrow military partnership. The reason that this relationship evolved in this way was going back to the role of Turkey, because the United States and its European allies had no other option but to partner with Kurdish groups if they wanted to achieve a territorial defeat of ISIS in Iraq and Syria. There was no force other than the SDF and the YPG and the YPGA at that time that would be capable of the military responsibility of defeating ISIS. It was essentially, if people remember the resistance of the YPG and the YPJ at Kobani in northeast northeastern Syria, that held out long enough where the United States and the international Coalition realized that their only option if they wanted to defeat ISIS on the ground was to partner with these forces. Before that, also, we're recording this in August, the situation in Sinjar where ISIS had gone in had committed genocide against the Azdi community, and we're the only people who were able to actually come in and help Uzidis defend themselves and evacuate refugees to safety in Syria, where again the YPG, the YPJ and the PKK gorillas as well. Because these Kurdish forces were able to help local civilians in Sinjar defend themselves and evacuate so many refugees to safety, it forced the international community's hand to act. The PKK intervened in Sinjar to start the humanitarian mission on August fourth, US air strikes began on August seventh. It was this local response from these non state actors that forced the international community, you know, these states with actual treaty obligations to respond to and prevent massatrocities, to take action. But because Turkey views the PKK as a terrorist group, it views the YPG and the YPG as indistinguishable from the PKK and therefore as a terrorist group. The entire counter ISIS mission from the very beginning was faced with this question of how these states that wanted to fight ISIS could do so without offending their relationships with Turkey as a member of NATO and an ally in other respects. So this connects specifically to the ISIS issue, not only because the contradiction here dates back to the counter ISIS campaign, but because actual international trials for ISIS members, actual security policies that could address the problems in al Hole, would legitimize the SDF and the autonomous administration on the international stage, and would legitimize the political philosophies behind what they're doing, all of which Turkey deems to be a very serious national security threat to its existence. I mean, imagine you have a Kurdish woman judge questioning an ISIS member responsible for potentially European and American casualties, certainly responsible for casualties and all sorts of abuses across Iraq and Syria, about the evidence that we have that the international community has, that Northeast Syria has, about how Turkey facilitated ISIS actions, you know, with the YPG and the YPG there for security, with international observers from the US and other coalition countries facilitating providing legal and security support. That would absolutely destroy Turkey's narrative about what individuals and entities are terrorists and which ones have actually contributed not only to the territorial militarily defeat of ISIS, but to social and political and governance projects that are able to prevent, you know, the resurgence of the next eye ISIS. So, you know, this kind of fear of building political relationships with the Autonomous Administration with legitimate this fear of legitimizing the Autonomous Administration project and helping it address security problems in a way that would you know, both increase its standing and legitimacy locally and internationally, and would show how the actions of states like Turkey contributed to prolonging and intensifying the civil war in Syria. States simply don't want to do that yet. But you know, when we look at the long term consequences of whether it's allowing Turkey to continue aggressive actions against North East Syria and more broadly, to pursue a military solution to its Kurdish conflict, whether it's allowing ISIS atrocities to go unpunished, you know, leaving communities that were impacted by ISIS to be essentially re traumatized and left to live in difficult conditions, you know, not receiving justice and allowing these ISIS MAS members to continue to have the space to attempt to reconstitute their group and go back to the kind of atrocities they were committing and attacks they were carrying out worldwide in twenty fourteen twenty fifteen. In the long run, this sort of appeasement of Turkey over the issue of the Kurdish question and the role of the Autonomous Administration, it's going to create the start of the next endless war in the Middle East. And you know, if policymakers want to avoid that, they need to be addressing these problems from a pro peace perspective, from a perspective that brings about justice, you know, political solutions based on democracy, on gender equality, on the equality of all communities in the region, all of these values that while imperfectly the Autonomous Administration is really.
Speaker 11: Trying to fight for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's super important to point out that this isn't a necessarily a like Turkey versus Kurdish people like wo dichotomy or like those aren't the only people impacted by this, right, Like the I think the majority of the A, yes, it's not Kurdish people, right, and I think we are adf also are not Kurdish.
Speaker 10: I mean, there's a very good paper by doctor Amy Austen Holmes, who wrote in an analysis of this conflict and the sort of Turkey SDF security dynamics, that what we would refer to as the Turkish Kurdish conflict or the Turkey PKK conflict is actually a conflict that impacts every ethnic and religious group in Turkey, Iraq and Syria. And of course you have and we could do an entire other episode on this. You know, there are certainly Kurds who support Erdwan and the AKP, whether from an Islamist perspective or on the basis of class interests. And you have Turks ethnic Turkish people who went to North East Syria during the height of the fight against ISIS as members of socialist groups to provide humanitarian aid and to join Kurdish forces in their fight against ISIS. On the ground, you have Yuzids, Christians, Syriacs, Assyrians, Armenians, Arabs. All different ethnic groups in Iraq and Syria are very much impacted by this conflict, and particularly because of the Autonomous Administration's multi ethnic and multi religious model. And while the autonomous administration system certainly has it's shortcomings and hasn't been able to perfectly overcome years and years of sectarian and religious and ethnic challenges. It has made a real attempt at including all of the peoples of the region. And that's one of the reasons why despite all of these Turkish attacks, despite the threat of ISSIS, you know, these communities have continued to band together and participate in SDF and autonomous administration structures in order to try to build governance and real post ISIS security. So it's certainly not just a very narrowly defined Turkish Kurdish issue. It's an issue of civil rights, of political rights, of long term security and stability, of what kind of society and what kind of governance can and should exist in this region, where many Kurds and many other ethnic and religious minorities would argue the europe imposition of artificial borders and nation states onto areas that were multi ethnic and multi religious for thousands and thousands of years was the source of a lot of these problems that we see today, not only with ISIS, not only with the Syrian war, with the Kurdish conflict in Turkey, as well with many of the issues that we're seeing in Iraq, in Iran, all over the region. So it goes much deeper than that, And I think that understanding, you know, the very deep historical roots of these issues is what can start to point us to the actual very radical solutions that would be necessary to get long term peace and security.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that those on I think solutions, Like you said, many nation states still exercising kind of pseudocolonial control over these places or trying to or trying to at least sort of use force to extract wealth that are really open to So it creates it's just sort of half asked, like you've said that this sort of limited support for any some parts of a project, which it doesn't work if you only support part of this project right as we're seeing. I wonder if people are interested in following more about this. I think it's something that like so much of the coverage this whole area focuses on, like specifically women in our whole right or women who went to join isis where can people find out more about like the what sources would you suggest for following goings on in this area?
Speaker 10: So yeah, I would say following local Syrian and Kurdish news sources would be a good place to start. You have sites like North Press where I've written before, that provide good perspectives from Syrian Kurdish writers. You have a human rights organizations working on the ground, groups like Syrians for Truth and Justice that's done a lot of documentation of issues, like for example, ISIS members who've joined Turkey backed groups in the occupied areas. You have arguably one of the best English language resources, not only for their own publications, but for researchers and journalists to reach out to, the Ulsheva Information Center that does a lot of good work on their own and also a lot of really incredible work to facilitate the work of international researchers and journalists. You have the Kurdish media sites like kolar News that will give good updates on what the Autonomous Administration is doing and saying from their perspective. Of course, there are a lot of official pages and sites for Autonomous Administration and SDF institutions as well. Those tend to be in Kurdish or Arabic, so of course if you know either of those languages you can follow them. For English, you have some of the SDF affiliated sites that have been translated. The YPG Information and Documentation Office have done a lot of work on this issue of ISIS and the related security challenges, they publish an English, they provide good information from that security perspective, and then really, I think any sources on social media online that provide good perspectives from people who are on the ground, who are providing reputable information, whether it's from a human rights side of things, from the security side of things, from the administration side of things, it's good to get that full spectrum of perspectives of what different actors are doing and seeing.
Speaker 7: And then, of course I'd be.
Speaker 10: Remiss if I did not promote my own institution. We have published coverage of certainly the ISIS issue in North East Syria, but also a lot on the wider political, humanitarian, and security challenges related to these interlocking conflicts in Turkey, Syria, Iraq, Kurdistan that have sort of formed the very unstable basis on which these developments relevant to global security issues like ISIS are taking place. So you can certainly read what we've been publishing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's an excellent list of resources, and lots of the ones that I've been using, other ones that you've mentioned, I would just I suppose warned people, especially the latest YPJ Information and Documentation Center video and our whole comes with a heavy content warning for violence that you will see there, which is it's documenting things that happen. It's not like they are doing the violence.
Speaker 4: They're not.
Speaker 2: But still, if that's something you don't want to see, that's probably a video you don't want to watch, Megan, is there anything people can do to help like this? I was thinking when we were talking of like I met a Kurdish man a month ago at the border being held by immigrats and customs enforcement, But it's not a topic that gets much coverage in the US, and as a result, like people both there and people coming here don't get the compassion that let's say Ukrainian people who are also fleeing conflict do get. And you can see that in a way that they're literally treated differently in immigration laws. So is there anything people can do to help?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 10: I would say that the first thing is exactly like we're doing now on this discussion, and like you as a listener listening to this conversation are doing by hearing from us and following this issue, encourage media research, human rights groups, analysts, and all others who do work in any of these fields to cover this issue in its full political and security context. Look, we can't only talk about North and Ew Syria when there's a crisis. ISIS did not come out of nowhere in twenty fourteen. The Turkish invasion did not come out of nowhere in twenty nineteen. And had we as a society and certainly our institutions been more informed and more aware of the root conditions causing these outbursts of violence, these outbursts of violence may not have happened, They might have been addressed before they happened. And so what does it mean to build that awareness? That means everything from writing a letter to your local newspaper to producing a report at your university with input from institutions in North East Syria, some of these local media and human rights organizations that we've talked about, to hosting an event for your community group on the state of this broadly defined conflict in Turkey and Iraq and Syria in Kurdistan between the Turkish state and these Kurdish groups that, in addition to fighting against ISIS, have been struggling for autonomy, self determination, equality between men and women, equality of people of different religious beliefs of different ethnic backgrounds. Long before ISIS was on the agenda and Northeast Syria it was on the agenda. We at the Kurdish Peace Institute are always available to help you do this. You can reach out to us on our contact page. We have information on everything from submitting content of your own to resources for reaching out to us for media appearances. Of course, there's all the sources I'm mentioned as well, and there are other episodes of this wonderful podcast with very talented expert speakers and interviewers as well who've spoken about issues related to Syria, Turkey and Kurdistan. You can advocate for greater political support for the Autonomous Administration, for an end to Turkey's aggressive actions against Northeast Syria and its ongoing human rights violations in the occupied areas of Afriin and russ A Line, and for international political support for a democratic, just peaceful solution to the Turkish Kurdish conflict. This is, i think, at the end of the day, the root of all of these problems that we're seeing here, and if this conflict were to be resolved, if Turkey were no longer to take an aggressive militaristic approach to the very concept of Kurdish autonomy, the very social base of Kurdish communities that has the capacity to seek and organize for autonomy itself. This would mean an end to authoritarianism in Turkey, which has been leading Turkey to all sorts of destabilizing behavior and certainly in miserating countless Turkish citizens. This is one of the reasons why not only Kurds, but many Turkish people of all ethnicities as well have been fleeing Turkey to Europe and even to the United States. Has been the escalating persecution, poverty, and difficulty of life under Erdowan, which is directly connected to air Dowan's choice in twenty fifteen to end piece talks with the Kurdish movement in order to consolidate his total power over the state using war and far right nationalism. This would end not only these difficult conditions within Turkey, this persecution, this economic devastation, this oppression of all oppressed segments of society. It would end Turkey's aggressive foreign policy in the region as well, which would be hugely important for allowing North East Syria the stability it means to put ISIS members on trial, hold them accountable for what they've done, begin to rebuild, give post isis communities of future. Allow these people who have suffered so much to defeat this group, of course for themselves, but really for all humanity to be able to build new lives, recover and have a say in their future, and by doing that, to pursue a political solution to the Syrian conflict. Right now, northe Assyria is the only major part of Syria outside of government control that has a system that is semi functional despite all of the setbacks of the war and the economic crisis, which again could be a whole other episode, which has empowered women, which has empowered different ethnic and religious communities, They could be part of a political solution in Syria. Turkey's war on the Kurdish movement, you know, is preventing that. This goes into a lot of challenges in Iraq as well, with increasing Turkish military operations. They're related to the conflict that have made life extremely difficult for many different Iraqi communities. But again, all of this, this conflict, you could argue, is the largest and most impactful and certainly one of the longest running. You know, for forty years now of the modern Middle East. It is an international conflict. The United States European governments, like we saw with the example of the US and European position on NATO accession and the concessions to Turkey made there, have been very involved in supporting militarily and politically Turkey's efforts to resolve this conflict militarily and to deny the Kurdish people their rights by force. And we you listening to this are communities in all of these different countries that have a stake in this conflict. We're the ones you can change that. And you can do that on two different tracks. So One, you can build awareness in your own community. You can build connections between your community groups and institutions in North East Syria, in Turkey, in different places impacted by this conflict in order to find ways that you can help respond to specific needs, work on specific projects together. And two, in the long run, use those connections, your knowledge you gain from those connections, the resources you create as you reach out to the media, as you meet different people working on this, to reach out to decision makers and show this is an issue that their constituents care about. This is an issue that's not something that governments can do without a response from public opinion. And this is an issue where there is organized pressure to change policy, you know, in favor of peace, in favor of stability, in favor of political solutions. Because when we do that, and there's lots of examples of how different communities and organizations have done that, when we do that on a large enough scale, we're not only addressing a humanitarian problem, we're not only contributing to peace and stability in the region. But at the end of the day, we can find solutions for these conflicts that mean that there won't be another rise of Isis, there won't be another Turkish invasion and occupation of northern Syria, and there will be models for political and social transformation that can help us end conflicts in other parts of the world as well. So there's lots of ways to contribute. I hope you're inspired to do so. And I think that just listening to this conversation, hearing about what's going on, and thinking about what you can do, that's already the first step. You're already there, and that's the most important thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great, thanks Bigin. That's a really good I think place to end because it gives some people something to do. I think far too often, like it's really easy and the immedia to just point at something and say it's bad and then walk away and not sort of leave people a way to help or do something. So I really appreciate you doing that. Is there any where people can find you on the internet, So you can find.
Speaker 10: All of my research and writing at Kurdishpeace dot org, as well as all of the research and writing of our brilliant contributors, many of whom are on the ground in Northern Syria, themselves in other parts of the region, or who have extensively traveled to that region for their work. I encourage you to read all of our content, and you follow our social media pages as well at Kurdish piece org on Twitter, and yes, you can read not only my work but the work of a lot of other really great people. But I'm very lucky to collaborate.
Speaker 2: With amazing Thanks so much for your time, Megan, Thank you.
Speaker 10: James.
Speaker 2: Hi everyone, it's just me James today and I'm joined today by James Cordero and Jacqueline Ariano. They're both from Border Kindness, which is a group that does border aid chiefly like water drops and support to keep people alive as they're making their journey across the desert here in San Diego. Is that a fair characterization of what you guys do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we do work all across the border in California. Currently, some of us we're based out of San Diego. What we do are water drops in eastern San Diego County and Imperial Counties.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 12: The organization is based primarily in Mexicali, Baja California, on the Mexico side, and that's where it was founded.
Speaker 2: Okay, corresponds to the.
Speaker 12: Arrival of the migrant caravans in twenty eighteen. We've personally been doing drops since twenty sixteen, but we brought the program over to Border Kindness a little over a year ago, and we operate programs on both sides of the border. Primarily James and I are involved with water Drop, but we also as an organization, have a school on the Mexico side. We have operated in a pro bono clinic on the Mexican side, and currently we're providing direct aid with the families of migrant farm workers in Imperial and Riverside Counties.
Speaker 2: Nice. Yeah, that's a lot of very important things. I don't get enough money or attention. So you said you started about a year ago. I bet you bet. You've been doing the border drops for what's that seven sometime seven years? Yeah, since twenty sixteen, And I wonder like if we could start by and we can get into some of the details later. But I've been reporting on the border for that long and there certainly have been notable changes, And I wonder what changes you've seen, Like we go back to like pre twenty fifteen, twenty sixteen, like that was before the whole wall shenanigans, So like, do you guys want to describe what changes you've seen in patterns of migration, and like I guess how safe that journey is or isn't, and how that's changed.
Speaker 4: Well, as far as patterns, I think it's definitely increased, definitely by the as far as seeing the amounts of supplies being used, the traces of you know, migrants crossing through in the desert in the mountains, seeing the amount of border patrol apprehensions and interactions with people that cross, and the overall militarization of the border.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, And I think like as far one of the biggest changes that we've seen on the border overall, and that has reflected in the water Drop as well, is a change in the demographics of people that are coming through. Even as recently as when we started in twenty sixteen, there were much more of like the trend that was generally kind of like stereotypically the case of like who was crossing, which was men of origin of working age crossing to work and send send money back to their families.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that's obviously.
Speaker 12: Still a large part of who is coming through, but in the most recent three to five years especially, the demographics are changing not just by country of origin to include all over the world and reflecting like this global migration crisis that's going on, but also the reasons and like the desperation is changing.
Speaker 7: So now it's not just like economic migration.
Speaker 12: There is asylum seekers, refugees, and it is just changing in tone of like why they're migrating and in what ways they're migrating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, definitely, I've noticed that. And like as the climate continues to change, right, like more and more people come from those countries and you've seen that too that are most heavily impacted by climate change. Yeah, yeah, and that makes a journey as it gets harder and harder in the desert, like that makes a journey more and more perilous.
Speaker 12: I guess they've come from farther too, and they're the least sometimes like not at all familiar with the weather, with the terrain, what they're up against with like how you have to move in border town. If you're not from a border town, you don't really know how to move and who to trust or more importantly, who not to trust. Yes, yeah, and the people there's a lot of pitfalls to just arriving at the border, even from like internal migration, like within Mexico, people arrive to the border and don't really know how to operate like the day to day there, and it's really made an already incredibly dangerous situation.
Speaker 7: Like just just totally perilous.
Speaker 4: As more people have migrated from different countries around the world, you're also seeing people who have been on that journey just to get to the United States line for longer amounts of time that you know, instead of maybe just weeks or a month, you're talking about months on months that people have been traveling you know, by foot, by train, by bus, you know, sometimes by plane, however, they can and we've seen, you know, we've seen like invoices for like hotel stays that people traveling from Turkey came and they stayed like Inkan Koum for like a month. So like I mean, people are gone from their from their homelands, you know, longer amounts of time now that you know, isn't a comfortable thing. So it's not like you can ax and not like you can you know, rest and you know mentally and physically everything like that. So it's definitely making that part harder for people crossing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, Like I'm seeing more and more migrants from from Africa and like they are very much like it's the community for them is hard to find sometimes, like you know that, like there are different spaces for them, and like they they end up in like distinct spaces from from other like migrant too, coming from other areas, and I know it can be very perilous for them, like you say, just just moving around border towns and navigating the pitfalls of that. Yeah, it's it's becoming like a more and more difficult and I guess could have complicated issue, but I think what's not particularly complicated is that, Like, no one should have to walk across the desert without water, right like that, It's it's pretty basic. So maybe we could go through what a water drop is and like what just if we could walk through, like you know, how far you guys walk, What you're leaving at there, what you find that people take, what you find that they need in their journeys. And you were talking about the receipts. I found tons of those and plane tickets and stuff like the things that you find that help you understand how better to help people. I guess.
Speaker 7: You want to talk about like how far the drops are generally and all of that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so right now, it just depends on the season, the weather, you know, the length of the drops we hike, you know, a lot of our drops. We also utilize four x fours to get us closer to areas to start our hikes, so we don't have to walk even more miles. That helps us out in you know, being able to carry more supplies you with less walking in some areas. But when it's cooler times and the temperatures are you know, below eighty degrees, you know, we can hike you know anywhere up to I think the max that we did was like just about twenty. But on the average, you know, the cool weather hikes will do, you know, right around ten miles or so, and then when it gets hot and the desert gets really hot out there, you know, like over one hundred and ten degrees on a constant basis and starting to get over one hundred and twenty degrees, you know, we can maybe do about five miles by foot. We've kind of ran a trial and air this season as far as trying to push further to see how far we can go, and we attempted seven miles and that I mean we all were gassed right around the five mile mark. So we have to set limits because not only is the distance, but the time spent underneath the sun without shade, and that exposure is you know, what drives the internal body temperature up and everything like that, and if you don't have a chance to cool down, that's when your body starts to wear out. You get heat exhaustion, and you know, we want to avoid heat stroke at all costs, and we're trying to make sure everyone's safety is accounted for, so we have to kind of cap that in the in the summertime to like five miles.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, sure, we have to definitely make pushes in the winter to stockpile the areas that are just simply not accessible in the summer months. And the strategic and like paying attention to what are entry points and can we hit those entry points or exit points.
Speaker 7: So maybe we can't.
Speaker 12: Really access a route throughout its entirety, but we can hit certain points of it more safely as a team during these like incredibly hot months. But we leave supplies of water, food, and protective clothing. And the protective clothing varies depending on season. So I mean a lot of people don't really take into consideration how cold it gets in these areas. It gets wall below freezing in the winter. In the mountains of East San Diego County, it snows. You know, some drops have gotten snowed out. We haven't been able to complete them because of the snow. And so the protective clothing varies in the summer. It's things like bandanas, cooling towels, hats, socks we leave throughout the year. People's footwear not being appropriate almost almost always. Yeah, blister can be a death sentence out there. So if you get a blister and you're not able to keep up with your group, there's a really good chance that you're going to get left. So something like having dry socks to change into can very well save somebody's life. So we leave socks throughout the year, pop top cans of food and.
Speaker 6: Of course water.
Speaker 4: In the wintertime, we leave sweatshirts, beanie like mittens, gloves, scarves, jackets, sometimes puffy jackets, sometimes blankets, you know, stuff to keep people warm when the temperatures you know, can be freezing for you know, most of the day. You know, in those you know, harsh months of like January and February where eastern Sandiwo County gets the like the winter storms, the freezing cold, you know, when roads get shut down, we can't even access so as Jacqueline mentioned, you know, when it is cooler, we try to go as much as we can, as far as we can to stockpile as much as possible for when the weather prohibits us from doing so otherwise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and just give people a sense of like the temperature swings, Like I've been in the mountains down by the border at like twenty degrees fahrenheit, which is like minus ten ish celsius, I think, And yeah, also at one hundred and twenty, which is like almost fifty celsius, and so you can they didn't swing that much in one day. But there are days when it's above forty degrees celsius and also below freezing in the same day.
Speaker 4: Like it's.
Speaker 2: It can be really. Yeah, it's a perilous place. It's that's why people don't live there as a rule, Like it's not a place that's kind to people. So I wonder, like a lot of people, I know, we did a series on title forty two. We spoke to a lot of people, and a lot of people reached out and they like they want to help, and I understand that the border I think for a lot of people, it's like I think reporting on the borders as a rule is not great, like that we tend to see migrants as numbers and not as people a lot when when people report on the border, right, and that that's kind of it happens with with more liberal outlets as well as more right wing outlets. But I wonder, like a how people who aren't in town, Like if you're not in if you don't live in the border lands, right, it's so you live in the middle of them America, Like, how can they help? What can they do to kind of support the prices that you're doing making this horrible thing? It will kind of.
Speaker 12: We have on all of our social media and as well as on our website ways that people can help. We have wish lists for items if people help want to contribute in that way, and that's literally like contributing the items that we leave. We also have donation links, so if people want to help financially, that goes a huge way in order to facilitate everything that we do. It's i mean, gas is incredibly expensive to the supplies that we don't get donated by a wish list have to be purchased, that sort of thing. So providing material aid is one way of contributing. And then aside from that, I think just following along with this work and sharing it and changing the conversation because, like as you said, reporting on the border can be really tricky. People tend to not just utilize migrants, but utilize the border as a region in order to have talking points for either like media outlets or people campaigns or that sort of thing, and the border gets treated as sort of like its own foreign area that's not related to either country, like nobody wants to take responsibility for it. And you know, residents of the United States also are complicit in that because they don't really they just.
Speaker 7: Talk about the border.
Speaker 12: They don't say like, this is something that's happening in my country. So I think sharing and discussing and becoming informed of what's going on, and also feeling like that kinship and ownership of like, hey, this is happening. I mean for people, it doesn't have to be as far as like the middle of the country. A lot of people in San Diego don't eat, really engage in.
Speaker 2: Yere, they don't don't bother.
Speaker 12: You know, it feels like so far away, even though it's like twenty minutes away. Meanwhile, peopeople are dropping dead so close to where people live and they choose to turn a blind eye.
Speaker 7: So I think.
Speaker 12: Kind of demystifying that for ourselves and sharing in that it goes a long way as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, I think that's that's very true. It's always amazing to me, like how twenty eighteen or the other big one I guess would be the end of title forty two, which was this year in May, like people will become more aware of what's happening and turn up and like it's so very radicalizing from other people in a positive way, like get engaged m in a way they haven't been engaged before. But it's I know, it's like it shouldn't be, like we shouldn't be saying we ever get used to how like cruel our border infrastructure is and what it does for us, But people are just blown away every time. Absolutely, Yeah, but I think you're right, like witnessing it is very important, even if you know you can't done it financially, if you can't get down.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, definitely just share stuff that, you know, if you know our organization posts something on social media, you know, I mean it has to be taken as the truth because we're out there firsthand. We're the ones on the ground seeing reporting back, and by sharing that, you get people you know in different parts of the country or even you know, different parts of the world seeing like the realities of the US Mexico border, because you know, most people in the United States don't know. If they don't don't see it, they'll live near it. So that's you know, something that most people rely on the media and what they see on the nightly news, and you know even that, you know, the big media outlets don't take the most realistic or don't share the most realistic parts of the border, you know, only to you know, kate to their you know, their sponsors or cater to their crowds, and so a lot of people will get like the headlines, but they don't get the real deal, like you know, what's going on down the border, and so sharing is is a big part of you know, how the word spreads of the work that we do in other organizations as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's very very valid. It was interesting to me recently. I didn't if you guys saw this, but like the floating border barrier in Texas and like very like this week, people have been reporting that it has the blades on it, which it does, and that's fucked up, like they shouldn't. It's horrible, but like it was kind of illiterative that I guess none of that are that none of the nationalitists had someone who'd seen it, because the blades have been there for like months where the prototype sat there. They were in the twenty twenty solicitation to like it just seemed odd to me that someone had to tweet a video for them to like understand because they go no one had walked up to it and checked it out, which I don't know. I think it's hard to do border reporting in New York personally, But yes, you're interested in the northern border. So I wanted to ask about Title forty two because I think our listeners are pretty well informed on what that was and what happened before and after that. So did you guys notice when that came into effect? Just to recap I guess for people, Title forty two allowed border patrol to bounce people straight back south without processing them and in nearly all cases without hearing that their claims were asylum if they had, and then those people were sometimes latterally translated across the border to a border town where they may not have had contacts or family or any resources. And it often resulted in most people finding themselves in an even more difficult situation than they already were, or trying to cross in more difficult and dangerous places to avoid that. So did you guys notice any changes like around and that came in what March or twenty twenty? As soon as they could as soon as they found an excusing in COVID, and not so much.
Speaker 4: From what we see because we don't come across people too often face to face. Did notice that once the policy was put into place, meaning Title forty two, and you know, with the pandemic starting, we did notice a big uptick on the amount of people coming through. We've seen you know before that you know, just a handful of people maybe like that. We'd come across a lot of times, those people crossing at nighttime and it wasn't something that we came across much. But after that went into effect in twenty twenty, we started running into a lot more people. We started seeing people that knew, you know, somewhat of you know, the policy, and that people would try multiple times every day to you know, cross through, and if they got apprehended and got you know, taken into Mexico, they tried again that same day. And so we noticed a lot more of our supplies being used, a lot more foot traffic, and a lot more you know, interactions with us. We started seeing a lot more interactions with you know, board patrol and people crossing through. And so when the policy was coming to an end, the only thing that we really saw increase was the amount of people trying to get in before you know, quote unquote got closed off, you know, before like the bands would go into effect and you know, like the no you know, you can re enter for a you know a certain amount of years and all that kind of stuff. So like the camp in Hukumba, you know, you see you know, thousands of people showing up as that you know, stopped, as Top forty two stopped. We really can't notice too much yet that less people are crossing through compared to the beginning the middle of the policy. Our supplies are still being used at a high rate, still see a fair amount of traffic come through, you know, these these corridors and everything like that. So it's kind of hard on our end. But you know, we also know that people who do cross not at a porta entry by foot, whether it's over a fence, whether it's around a fence, whether it's through the desert, over the hills. We know that people are still being apprehended, processed, and released with their asylum claims. So it's hard, as you know, on the board to know exactly what's going on because a policy can say one thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't matter exactly.
Speaker 4: Like the residential administration can say one thing, the DHS can say one thing, and completely different is happening, you know right right there. I don't know. I mean, I can't really say honestly how much it's changed from our perspective.
Speaker 12: I think when these things happen, like it's always really difficult because like I think the three of us are aware of there's the things that are put in place, and that's how they're going to be applied in theory, and then those of us that have been doing this work can anticipate how it's going to have an impact in practice.
Speaker 4: So, like.
Speaker 7: The things that are occurring now in order to so called like curb.
Speaker 12: The influx of people like using an app or having like on certain things, like all of these things like we know and we don't have like any faith that they were put in in good faith, and we know like that we can anticipate, Okay, you're gonna be banned if you don't go in through these like really ridiculously inaccessible means, and that that word is going to get around that people are going to freak out, They're not going to bother and they're going to hit the desert, and that's what we're seeing. Whether we can actually like attribute it directly to like these policy changes, what I think we can attribute it more directly to is like one, global migration, regardless of policy, is increasing all over the world, and that desperation doesn't like really wait for any kind of policy change. Two is like the misinformation and sort of like chatter that people are hearing about like this pos changing. Oh I heard that, like if you don't use this app, they're going to put you in jail. And like just like literally these things that we're hearing on the border that is funneling people directly into the desert because they want to avoid any kind of interaction with border patrol. Even if they have like what would be a you know, like an asylum claim. People aren't trusting because there's so much change and uncertainty at like a policy level. There's no accessibility to this information, there's no clarity to this information. Nobody knows what's going on, whether it's people that are working in border aid or people that are seeking asylum. So people are just you know, taking their chances and hitting the desert. And regardless of the policy change, like ever since the last like you know, like we said like three to five years, the increase has been like exponential every single year.
Speaker 7: It just continues increasing.
Speaker 4: I wanted to add in, is that so the Title forty two policy was used, you know, in conjunction with the you know, national emergency with COVID and all that kind of stuff with the country, you know, ending the national emergency, they couldn't you know, couldn't justify keeping Title forty two in effect. And in a way, I feel that the administration was just playing you know, political chess and using people, vulnerable people as pawns. And so the rhetoric coming out and you know, the you know, we're taking a hard stance and this that and the other, a crackdown on immigration, and that I feel it was the current presidential administration just trying to appeal to a larger audience or when the election comes up next year, you know, can you say, hey, look did this, did that, did this? And the way the numbers have been skewed for apprehensions, you know, that's when you'd have like say in San Luis and Yuma, Arizona, you would see you know, hundreds and thousands of people every day showing up to present themselves for asilence. Those all got recorded as apprehension numbers. So you've got in one month, you know, however many you know, thousands. Now Title forty two ends. Now that number shrinks down. Now that looks better, That looks tougher on you know, immergion. That looks like you're doing this, that and the other. Meanwhile, you have people just you know, being vulnerable, being you know, in limbo, you know, on the other side of the border, or you have them taking to the mountains and deserts and taking the dangerous trek just so they can be apprehended and you know, plead their case and try to get asylum and try to get released into the United States. So people that are being used as ponds in this political theater that we always talk about. As always, it doesn't matter the administration, whether it's blue, whether it's red, whether it's orange, whether it's old, whether it's you know, money, it's all money. And unfortunately, you know, we have to constantly like dispel a lot of that false narrative that comes out, and it gets exhausting, but I mean it's what we have to do because you're not going to find that out any other way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're really not. I think that's the next one point. And the point about apprehensions is good, right, they always reported and I've heard like NPR do this report apprehensions as if they're individuals, which they were not under Title forty two. Like if you cross five times in a day and get apprehended and sent back five times, that's five apprehensions. It's one person, And they were deliberately using that to make this to seem like more people are coming, and as you say, now it will seem like less because that doesn't happen anymore. I think your point about like the jacking and the points about the misinformation is super crucial and one that again often isn't reported. But like I'm not a lawyer, and I can't give people legal advice, but constantly when I'm in Tijuana, when I'm in Sonora, when anywhere where I'm like on the southern side of the border or on this side of the border, people will ask me, or when the people are trapped in between the two fences that constitute the border, people will say, hey have you had this? Hey I got this, and they'll play like voice messages on WhatsApp often or show me a WhatsApp and we'll go over like that's not my understanding, you know, like I don't think that's the case, but it's it's I understand you're vulnerable, you're scared, and this shit like I have a PhD and speak all the concerned languages, and I don't understand it fully, Like it's it's complicated and petrifying if this is your only hope of like a dignified life, and I think it's something that people don't understand. It's how hard it is for those people to get decent information about like what there's quote unquote supposed to do, especially when we have this app, which like I don't have a ton of foyers in around the app, but I don't think I'll ever get any documents back from the FAD to be honest, but yeah, it's it's so toerocious. I think it's ridiculous.
Speaker 7: Yeah no, then the information that people receive isn't even accurate.
Speaker 12: Like so whenever there is that somebody like say has come to like our office downtown in Mehigali and like you know, run in their paperwork and say, like I have a court date they're all like there was a time like during you know MPP and all of that, like where people were being giving court dates on Sundays or being given court dates in Texas when they were sent back after their arrest in Arizona to MEXICALI like, just crazy stuff. Like if people are even lucky enough to get somebody to help guide them through the process, it's not even like a certainty that the information that they're provided is even going to be accurate on purpose, Like people are given inaccurate information to wade through this process that doesn't seem to make sense to anyone. It's it's wildly like convoluted. I mean that's the intention, right, Like it's not meant to be navigated in any way.
Speaker 2: No, no, it's not. It's meant to be belove I think. And like even with the work that our friends at Alato do and other legal aid groups, I was speaking to an Ethiopian friend who I met in Tijuana and he lives in US and he helps other folks now who have arrived more recently, and he was saying that like getting a lawyer to represent you can cost you maybe five grand, maybe twelve, and you might not have the legal right to work, right, so where is that money supposed to come from? And then do you know if if your language is you know, aroma or something, it's that much harder to navigate that system, to find useful resources to explain it to you. And it's yeah, it's people like to talk about like how I know that their family did legal legal quote unquote migration when there weren't these checks in place and they didn't have to do any of this shit, And I don't know, it's I don't think people realize how brutalizing the system is until they've seen it first hand.
Speaker 11: That there the point.
Speaker 12: Like the and the confusion, like putting people in danger is the whole point. And it's intentional. Like so if somebody's there and like you said, like they speak there, they're not able to even like wrap their heads around the process, letl on access like the resources in order to navigate that system. Then Yota approaches them and tells them like, oh, I can take you over here to Romrosa. All you have to do is pay me three hundred American instead of five thousand for this, Like, eh, you're probably not going to win that case. The town's a mile away. The town's a mile away, and it's a straight shot and you'll get there in half a day and then you're good to go. And I mean we've heard the most wild stories, like even from people in the middle of the desert lost saying they told me it was two mile walk and that there was they were hiring in the town on the other side of that hill. Yeah, like, and I mean, like who wouldn't at that point it's like you don't have a country to go back to. Yeah, Like it's no longer like, oh, I'm fleeing my I'm migrating from my country because there's no work. No, there is no country to speak of, at least not for you. And you're here and this Goyota presents you this upper like so it's misinformation and exploitation like every single step of the way. And a lot of the time people's most straightforward avenue is through the desert, even though it's like unbelievable, hardened, very very often deadly. That's like the surest shot that they have and they take it because I mean it wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, it's it's not like yet, like you say, people aren't like you know, doing the numbers and thinking they'll make more money in the US. It's like I will die if I stay, or someone who's already killed someone I love, and I have to leave now, and especially when like the Trump administration, like the people aren't aware, Like towards the end of the Trump administration, Trump started making claims in presidential debates about the number of miles of wall he was he had built as far as I can work out, he pulled out of his ass, and then the like then they started rushing to build more wall, and they I asked them how they came up with that number, and then they like they did this thing where they were like, oh, well, we repaired this much wall and they were like eight miles of border wall prototype and like cool man, Like they didn't build that much wall, but they started skipping the harder parts, right like Valley of the Moon, even that boulder Pilo outside of Cumba, Like there are areas that don't have wool and those areas that are harder, and then that's where people try and cross and like I love to go outside. I'm a pretty fit person, and like the value of the Moon is hard going, like if you're not going up the road, like that's tough travel and that's where people don't have a choice bed to cross, right right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: That's where and that's where, like you in May, it was I think with the first second week in May, when you know, just a few days before Total forty two was ending, that's where thousands of people came through. Was through that area down into the town of Cumba, and a lot of people, i mean we're talking about you know, thousands came through there, and a lot said that they paid upwards to one thousand dollars ahead two coyotes that brought them there and said, hey, when you get down there, you just follow this road. Once you get down to the bottom, there's gonna be a buzz waiting for you. It'll take you in. And then they got the stranded for days after going through that terrain. The temperature that's when like the season really started shifting, so the nights were really cold, the daytime highs were pretty hot. And I mean that was the you know designed you know.
Speaker 12: Cruelty the invasion that gave the semblance of the invasion.
Speaker 2: Because you could huddle people together and then claim that you weren't detaining them that right, exactly.
Speaker 4: They weren't free to leave, they said the border patrol told them that they had arrest them if they left the I mean I say camp loosely because it was just like out in an open field with that people you know, cut down branches and turn into shelters and use areas that they cut down for like fires, campfires and knights to stay warm. And you know, border patrol probably didn't expect that a people locally in Hukumba were going to care or be that the word would get out and so their crual practices that they were in acting on like the first day or two of people showing up and being stranded no food, no water, then it kind of backfired. And then you know, I believe you went out there as well. You saw how many people showed up to care, and like we were working around the clock to try to you know, organize and make food, prepare food pack, collect donations everything. And you know that's I've gone through that terrain and you know, after all that was closed down and looking through as you know, as we did like trash cleanups and people you know, would have their last remaining food and water that you could see coming through across you know, the area where they were brought to and like people shedding clothes because the temperatures were so warm dur in the daytime and then just wondering like okay, so they shed their clothes and now they're like freezing down the bottom of the hill and the terrain's too tough to go all the way back up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's no fence over there. And the fences, you know, we've said have always been kind of built for the most part where people can see them. It gives the appearance to the rest of the country that's not out there, that there's a fence across the whole border, and you know, go into a lot of areas where we see that that's not the case. And also we see where border fences stop and migration makes its way right around the edge of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in the old time, but the.
Speaker 4: Disk now has increased longer for the walks because instead of just being able to walk through like an open area, now you have to go miles out of the way to get around to an opening in the fence or go up and over a mountain, and you know, doing that in the summertime, you exhaust yourself from the strategies, hike on top of the unbearable heat, and then you pass away, you know, an eighth of a mile from a fence, you know, as someone that we know that happened to them a couple of years ago. So it's as you're saying, like the fences and like where they're not put it's it's just a point of cruelty and part of the prevention through deterrence policy that's been going on for you know, almost thirty years now, and definitely yeah, and the CBP one app app and all the kind of stuff that's just another extension of prevention through the turns by making it harder for people and pushing people to ways that they can try to get through or you know what they think they can try to get through easier. And as Jacklin said, it's just it's become more and more deadier. And every year the numbers go up of confirmed US, but that doesn't count the amount of people that go missing every year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or the people who like Border patrol to find and they you know, their numbers are any the people who they found, and that's the areas that are going like if people die for the North or yeah, or the death.
Speaker 12: That they they deliberately miscategorize as non migrant death. They're just John Doe's Jane Doe whatever, you know. They just say like, oh, you know, cause of death unclear, or cause of death for exposure, but they don't necessarily call it a migrant death even though someone you know, traveling with a backpack and the desert. Yeah, and they you know, like say that they were migrating just because they had you know, under and passport on them.
Speaker 7: That all the time too.
Speaker 12: So all of this is like we don't know the scope of their cruelty. Like it's just scary, is that, Like it's so much bigger than we even know, even like those of us that are like in it every day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no numbers like I would in a sense love to in a sense would be horrible. I don't think it should matter, Like I don't think it should matter how many people, Like every single one of those is a tragedy, and it's somewhat's mumal or dad or brother or sister. I kind of wanted to to maybe talk about like one incident that if if you're comfortable doing it like that, you might be familiar with that, I think can give people a sense of how dehumanizing this is and how cruel this is. You guys, I know you're familiar with it, but the young women who died on the shrine trail in was it winter of twenty twenty or winter of twenty twenty one?
Speaker 4: Yes, that was February twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's right before COVID. So for people who aren't as familiar, can I spoke a little bit about it in our series, but can you describe kind of the process that if you're comfortable, I know it's like a it's a pretty horrible thing, but can you describe like like how they crossed and what happened to them?
Speaker 4: I mean, we can give you like some of the background that was like in a newspaper article that we had come to learn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, we have a like direct communication. Yeah yeah, yeah, you're not in content. I just like I think it would be helpful for people to realize that, like, you know, this, this is what happened to them, and then also that you guys have been able to respond after that happened to like at least try and and help like deploy kind of resources to that a bit less of a treacherous crossing.
Speaker 4: So as the situation was unfolding, it was nighttime and there was like a freak storm that came through eastern San Diego County around around the area of I think like Live Oak Springs Mount Laguna area, and it was just you know, raining and cold before, but like later on that day it kind of turned into snow and turned into heavy winds, like zero visibility snowstorm. And these three sisters that were from Wahaka, who've crossed over for work multiple times, came worked, went back home, you know, for you know, whatever season, came back, worked, went back home. And it was my understanding that they were trying to save up enough money from what they made here in the United States to open up their own business.
Speaker 1: And so.
Speaker 4: The day came when they were crossing over the they came through, I think like in the Campo area, I think it was, and they were led by two brothers that had crossed previously in the same spot and knew the trail of which to go, but I believe it was their first time actually leading people through and not just themselves coming through, so they you know, they remember the way, got up close to where the shrine is of the shrine trail, there's a little shrine up there that people would you know, leave little little symbols and tokens and little items behind, mostly to you know, the Virgin of Wa Loupe. And from that point it is that that's the last time you can be hiking on that trail that far north and turn around and still see Mexico. Anything beyond that, it's kind of like the point of like you can't see Mexico, Like you've got to keep moving forward, You've already gone, you know. At this point it's close to thirty I think air miles, so like you know, you know, walking miles is a lot more than that. Yeah, And they were at this kind of like rock boulder outcropping just about five minutes walk shy of the shrine when the sisters couldn't keep going anymore and because of the extreme weather in the extreme cold, they were soaking wet from the rain and then the you know, sub freezing temperatures with the snowstorm, they couldn't keep going anymore, and so they were kind of huddled up underneath of this boulder. It's the only spot that kind of gave like a little bit of shelter from that storm. Yet, I mean those rocks are you know ice cubes, you know, being out there that long. So the two brothers I believe left to try to get cell phone signal because you know, you're you're up pretty high in the mountains. I think that elevation up there on the mountain, I think it's somewhere around five thousand feet. More so that that location where that we're where they passed away, and the brothers that took off to try to get cell phone range to calm you know, ems, which turns out to be you know, border patrol in that region, and so got to hold a border patrol. Uh border patrol arrived to where the brothers were, and first thing, you know, before you know, rushing to try to make a rescue anything, they you know, detained and arrested the brothers for you know, for you know, human smuggling, trafficking, you know, just you know, being colliotes, and then they put in efforts of trying to rescue. By the time I believe that they got to the three sisters, two of them had already passed away, and there was one that was still barely alive. Unconscious and due to the whether, as Border Patrol has stated, the agents, the four star you know rescue agents, the search and trauma rescue, they had to take off. They couldn't airlift the last remaining sister out because there's zero visibility. The helicopter couldn't even get like find them, couldn't get like anywhere close to them, couldn't hover because the wind was blown so hard. It was just about a whiteout condition. So, I mean, the most you know fucked situation possible, and Border Patrol in order to make sure it didn't turn into from a triple fatality to however many of them there were, I think there was three or four's that were out there, so to you know, in order to save their lives, they took off. They put the last remaining sister like in a like a puffy overall type of situation, and they they had taken her wet clothes, they cut her wet clothes off her, and you know, we're actively trying to warm her with like heat packs and wrapping her, and so they took off and kind of just like left her, you know, with basically, as I said, the best you know chances possible of survival even though someone being left on their own in that condition there's zero chances of survival. Border patrol took off, allegedly injured themselves, you know, in doing so, got frostbited, et cetera. I think it was the next day, came back out for the would turn out to be the recovery, and all three sisters had passed away, you know, from you know, freezing to death. And so as we learned about that, you know, as the situation was unfolding, we reached out to the the journalist who wrote the article in local San Diego Union Tribune. His name is Alex Riggins, and through you know, some back and forth contact, he was covering the trial of the two brothers that brought the sisters through their in court for their deaths, and reached out to see if we could find out any information, if Alex could let us know, like maybe where the shrine trail was, or maybe where the location of the recovery was, just something that we would have so we can put it on a map, figure out how to get there, and give boots on the ground to leave supplies, you know, a few times a year, whether it's going to be really hot, or really cold. We wanted to make sure that, you know, we responded to the crisis as we found out about it. There's something that we unfortunately have had to do all too common in this work is that's unfortunately.
Speaker 7: In the way that we learn, yeah, when it's too late.
Speaker 2: Sometimes yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: A lot of you have to learn efforts too late. And that's part of our you know, expansion of areas that we cover. That's how we learn stuff, and that's how we work at preventing you know, further suffering and further deaths. So we got more or less a good location and one of our team members at the time, he h he went out on a weekday that he had off, and he just went kind of driving around in the area and start hiking out in this area that looked like from the photos that were in the newspaper could have been this location. And he put in a long hike that day and he found the clothing that was removed from the last he found the like the puffy overalls. He found a bunch of medical equipment, like emergency equipment that was used for you know, the three sisters during that process. And shortly after that, I think it was just like a couple of weeks, we got together h some of our strongest hikers, and we decided to go out there and leave a bunch of supplies. And that is it is a hard, hard hike, whether you're you know, carrying thirty five forty pounds on your back or you're just carrying, you know, a backpack with like a bottle of water and some food. Like, it's hard no matter what. So we got up there and we left supplies. And you know, we've been going back you before, seasons change, where it gets hot, it gets cold, and we track to see if you know, anything has been taken. And it doesn't appear that that trail gets too much use, but it does get some use. Yeah, So you know, I don't know if if the three sisters passing away there had anything to do with like future travel for people on the trying trail or or what, but you know, we made that commitment in their honor and to prevent anything like this ever happening again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sent me a very sad, very sad situation, and like, yeah, it so many things have to go wrong and so many people have to turn a blind eye. I guess for the three people to die like.
Speaker 10: You know, there's.
Speaker 12: Platant negligence on the part of border Patrol very regularly, given that they are supposedly like as James mentioned, the emergency medical service that's out there, and there is outright blatant, deadly discrimination that occurs when it comes to providing emergency services for migrants. In this case, they prioritize apprehension over saving people. Every moment is going to count and regardless of what the conditions were, those are the conditions, and that's the story that they're reporting. I think we rightfully are skeptical of anything that they say when it comes to rescues and how they prioritize doing so when we have seen entirely the opposite occur on a regular basis when they have the opportunity to provide aid them electing to do so. You know, going back to Hakumba, when people were out there and they had nothing, They weren't being provided a city water for days and days and days.
Speaker 7: Order Patrol could have done that.
Speaker 12: If they are the emergency services, they could have provided emergency aid. When it comes to a rescue like this. They have the agency. They are the agency. They have the agency to deprioritize processing somebody for apprehension and prioritizing rescue, and they chose not to do it. Like time and time and again, we see these situations and I think, like when you know, before we started recording, and you asked, like, what's the thing that like we want to talk about that doesn't often get talked about, And.
Speaker 7: I think it's this. I think it's the.
Speaker 12: It's not just like the surveillance and the patrolling and all of that stuff that to humanizes migrants, but like when they're in danger, they're regarded as less than human by the because the only agency that's out there to help them is like the reason that they're in danger in the first place. So we have come across multiple search and rescues that aren't migrant related, just being out in the desert where either a US citizen or in one instance, a tourist was lost in the desert, and the response is night and day. When there's a migrant that's lost and we are calling for assistance, you know, any kind of can a search be initiated, can we get like the response is so blase and minimal, and there's no accounting, there's no holding them accountable for acting or failing to act right, and it's blatant, like and I think that's the thing that like the general public that isn't involved in this work like should know about how cruel it is and how little the response is when somebody is lost, when they're dying, when they're dead, like us having to call the coroner repeatedly to have children's bone picked up. That would not happen if that child was not presumed my grant. So this is like we have story after story after story of like situations like this is just one tragedy, but there's a lot of could have, should have, would have like on the end of like eight organizations that we carry, And it doesn't seem to ever be like a shared weight with any of the agencies that actually have the ability to respond to this kind of thing in like an organized way.
Speaker 7: They don't care, they don't do anything about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's like so much money spent on our border, right, Like I remember in Houcumber, I was like sitting underneath this thing for shade and then I like coming like, oh yeah, just think us a million dollars, right, that little trailer with the solar panels that intercepts the signals, like, and they didn't give these people a bottle of water, like all the water came from other people, from random San Diego people who bought it, right, Like, and it's just such a strange priority, Well, not strange, it's a cruel and horrible priority choice, right to prioritize that kind of like enforcement of a human lives like which are being lost. And it's the same like you know, ever bolted in Arizona or a time, I spend a lot of time there. I spent a lot of time here, reported in Texas a couple of times. Like, it's the same all across the border, right, the priority is not rescuing people. It's and it's not even particularly enforcing the law as it's written, it's just stopping people coming.
Speaker 12: Here selectively though, yeah, selectively, because they do let a significant amount of people through, Like even like in Hakumba, when people that weren't familiar with this whole kind of like smoke and mirror show of the border were coming and responding, they were saying, like, well, why are they letting them through? Why is this open over here? Why is like the amount of surveillance, you know, We've had people come out on water drops and say like, oh, should we be hiding the water?
Speaker 11: Should we be doing this?
Speaker 8: And that?
Speaker 11: Should we like they have eyes on the whole desert, So yeah, it's they do there. The point is to stop people from coming through, but not completely right, is that labor that's coming through.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that.
Speaker 12: They're they're selective, and how much they like, you know, how much the gasket is being opened and shut.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and in different sectors at different times, like it seems like things are done and even like, yeah, there are The other thing I think that people who don't live on the border don't realize is to what degree every single person here, whether they give a shit or not, is surveiled because they live near the border. Like, yeah, but we saw them twenty eighteen with a lot of a lot of friends of mine who can't go to Mexico anymore, right, who have flagged passports. Yeah you too, Yeah, so many people I know. I Yeah, I don't know how I went over a ton at that time, but I guess managed to avoid it. But yeah, it's it's that. And then like I have been in the middle of nowhere in the desert and found cameras, surveillance towers, right like, stuff that would not be the constitution is largely irrelevant, but like there wouldn't be legal or just like unjustifiable anywhere else, And like this spans from here to like our Otum friends in Arizona to Texas, right like, if you live on the border, like or any within one hundred miles of the border, right, the border can come to you. It doesn't matter if you care or not. It doesn't matter if you consider yourself to be like an immigrant to the US, or if you've sort of decided that that doesn't apply to you or you don't care about those people like then it doesn't matter that surveillance still impacts you, and often it impacts like our indigenous friends, right like my my all time friend Kumii friends had the grave yards bulldose to build the wool. And yeah, even if you don't care, even if you think the wall is great, that your cell phone still there through distinct ray down.
Speaker 10: I know, it's wild, Like how much people who are like very you know, right wing anti like.
Speaker 12: You know, pro like freedom and all this stuff like will very readily give up those freedoms and in exchange for like constant surveillance, like if it justifies the means of like you know, their big try or like whatever, like their worldview is like they're they're suddenly like very pro border patrol, very pro CP, very T. Well that's like in direct conflict with like everything else that they're saying.
Speaker 2: Right, but yeah, it's freedom for who I guess.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well also goes with the same people are saying, well, well, not breaking the law, then what do you have to do about Yeah, well everything starts with the border. So the surveillance, the facial recognition, the plate scanners, all that stuff started the border. And now we see that just recently, like the San Diego City Council approved to have the like the streetlight eras and all that kind of the lamps and all those you know, hundreds of cameras that are going to be out there with that same type of technology, and like, well, if you're not breaking the law, it's like okay, we'll give a little bit of time until you're not breaking law, and then like stuff still happens. I mean, that's that's how you know things, you know, Snowball.
Speaker 2: Hey, everyone. Shortly after we finished talking about why San Diego's lamp posts are also spies. My internet once again died. So that's what we're going to end it today. It's already been a long episode. But what I would like you all to know is that you can find Border Kindness online. You can find them on Instagram. You can find James there Brolo el Cordero prott to be able to work out how to spell that, and you can find them on Facebook, and you can find them on Instagram, and you can pretty much find them anywhere you go on the internet by searching Border Kindness, and like James said, they in his I'm looking at his Instagram profile right now, so it's Brolo el Cordero. I guess b r O l O e l c O r d e r O. James has a wish list, an Amazon wish list, so if if you're not close to San Diego, then you can you can just click on that and buy them something. I'm sure you could collect donations and send those as well. So there are a lot of different ways you could help. But I hope you all enjoyed this. If you're in town and you want to help, go hike with them and you can reach out to them on social media as well, and I'm sure they'd be happy to hear from you. Thanks so much for listening, Goodbye, Hey.
Speaker 1: We'll be back Monday with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the Universe.
Speaker 7: It Could Happen Here as a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 4: For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts.
Speaker 6: You can find sources for It Could Happen Here, updated monthly at coolzonemedia dot com slash sources.
Speaker 10: Thanks for listening.