Speaker 1: This is gonna be pretty serious, but I hope it's helpful to some people. It's one more thing.
Speaker 2: I'm strong andy. One more thing.
Speaker 1: I'm guessing you haven't. But have you ever read Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace? Are you familiar with it?
Speaker 2: Not? Really, No, you've heard of it. Sounds familiar.
Speaker 1: It's a very very big deal book that came out in the nineties, won the Pulitzer Prize. But it is.
Speaker 2: That's an indictment, but I have no doubt.
Speaker 1: It was a really big deal of literature and sold many, many, many millions of copies. And he was I don't know how many times I saw him interviewed on Charlie Rose and their biographies of him and the movie made about him and everything like that, partially because he killed himself when he was in his forties. So this book, Infinite Jest, which is like a thousand pages long, I'd never read it before. I'm about a third of the way through for I don't like it. I don't think it's very good. My favorite literary critic, critic Harold Bloom, thought it was crap, so maybe I'm influenced by that. I feel like it's crap myself, but I'm gonna fight my way through it. But a lot of it is about you know you write what you know?
Speaker 2: Is this famous of.
Speaker 1: Writers. It's about a guy who It's about a number of different things. The main theme of it is supposed to be basically how in modern world we're amusing ourselves to death, which is a common theme on this show and is absolutely true. That's kind of where the title infinite jest comes from. But it's about a guy at a tennis academy and he's a stoner and he watched his TVL time blah blah blah, and David Foster Wallace was a big amateur tennis star, and he was a stoner, and he suffered from depression and anxiety and everything same way as the character in the book. And there's a lot about that in one character who's in a constantly being fifty one to fifty in a mental institution and describing their depression and anxiety. And I found it as somebody the writer being somebody that had depression and anxiety to the level that when he was in his forties in Arizona, as a married man, he hung himself from his porch, his back porch at his house, and his wife came home and found him. But the reason I bring this up is I got a couple of people in my life who have depression and anxiety. They often go together, and I've just never really been able to understand it. But I mean, I understand that, you know, you're really really down when you're pressed or anxiety, you feel really anxious. That's about all I know.
Speaker 2: And it's good definition.
Speaker 1: It's bothered me that, you know, I can't really relate to it, and they're trying to describe it to me and they're struggling with it, and I just have never quite fully gotten it until I read this book where a guy who's a really good writer describes what it feels like to be anxious, anxious, or depressed, and he does it over many hundreds of pages. So my shorthand version won't be that good, But I thought, maybe this will be helpful to anyone here who's in a similar situation where they don't have it but somebody they know does, because it's been helpful to me. One person I know who's got depression and anxiety tried to explain it to me and gotten close. But for whatever reason the Politiczer Prize winning author did a better job of describing the depression, mostly being about the hopelessness of it. I'm never imagining it ever getting any better, Like I've never had that. I've been down before. Everybody gets down, but I've never had the I can't I not only I can't imagine it getting a better I'm one hundred percent certain it'll never get any better.
Speaker 2: Life can include a feeling of and it shouldn't.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I'm everything sucks and it will always suck. I've never felt that, so I you know, I can imagine why if everything, and I mean everything, you get no joy from a relationship with your husband, wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, parents, job, music, anything, and it will never change.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: That would be a hard thing to convince yourself to go ahead and endure constantly trying to get your head above that water to.
Speaker 2: Avoid bringing people down with you.
Speaker 1: And again, I'm doing a very shorthand version of this that might be pointless compared to the hundreds of pages of describing it. But the person in the fictional character in the who'd been fifty one fifty with anxiety talking to the doctor about it's like when somebody jumps out and scares you aah, and you get that adrenaline rush, only it's constant and you have no belief that it's ever gonna stop, which sounds horrifying. That sounds like a really terrible feeling a.
Speaker 2: Lot of anxiety among young people in the modern world. And you know, to what extent are they just expressing the nervousness and foreboding that we all feel through life, or to what extent is is there really that much more of it in the air. Nobody's really sure. I would tend, partly through my own life's experience, to say, let's not underestimate it. Let's try to get a handle on it. Because their environment, both physical and mental, I guess solf physical in a way, but it has changed a great deal. The lives kids live right now are very different than the lives we lived.
Speaker 1: Is there any chance that the two things came together at the same time in an unfortunate perfect storm, that there's something in plastics or cell phone towers.
Speaker 2: Or ultra processed foods, ultra processed foods or pesticides. It could be anything. Anything contrails all of them. The government hank.
Speaker 1: All of them working together, that all that happened, and you know, cause people's brains to be more susceptible to depression and anxiety. And at the same time, generation generation or two of helicopter parents convinced you that the world is very dangerous, always very dangerous. No, no, no, no, no, you're not going to the park, No way. You and your friend are going to the park and riding your bike over there and spending the afternoon without me knowing what you're doing.
Speaker 2: And learning to take on risk and learning it's okay to get lost and find your way back again. Yeah, that's entirely possible. It's a combination, but.
Speaker 1: That it just accidentally happened at exactly the same time. Boy, that's unfortunate.
Speaker 2: Oh, or roughly at the same time. Yeah, close enough. Yeah. It may be one thing, it maybe two, it may be three. I don't know. Nobody knows. It's it ought to be studied.
Speaker 1: You know, constantly, every woman should be terrified of walking down the street because every man you.
Speaker 2: Pass is most likely a rapist.
Speaker 1: Right at the same time that their brains might be wired to be more anxious and depressed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny. I think it's the other side of the coin. That's more significant, the lack of free ranginess and exploring and making mistakes. And because you can hit me with all the harem scam stuff you want about, say a city I know, and I'll say no, I've been there, I've tried that, I know what to do, I know what to avoid. It'll be fine.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's all the one thing. Then that would be good news that it's not any the plastics or cell phone towers or anything like that, that it's just all of us. Would be this way if I had grown up being told by my parents that the world is very, very scary. Do not leave the house. You're not allowed to ride your bike to the park. Who knows my brain to be?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: You know, like they've discovered in Europe that kids need a certain amount of figuring things out on their own to get their brain psychology risk.
Speaker 2: They need risk. Yeah, yeah, I don't know the answer to that.
Speaker 1: Well, nobody does, but we ought to make it a high priority to figure it out.
Speaker 2: So when I picture tennis lessons, I picture the tennis pro having sex with divorces that end or cheating housewives. How is that part of the novel really? That fact? Yes, yeah, there's a lot of that. There is a lot of that in that world. Yeah, I mean, cause you've got a super fit youngish man and aging gals in short skirts trying to hold onto their beauty and all that.
Speaker 1: I'm actually sticking with the book, which I find terrible so far.
Speaker 2: Really, what's terrible about it just you don't like to write age. I just think it's so hack.
Speaker 1: It just like a lot of the jokes or observations are yeah, geez, really, I wish I could think of one off the top of my head. I mean, some of the things he throws in is like, is this supposed to be a clever new thing I've come across or I've heard eight million times in my life.
Speaker 2: I don't know what it is.
Speaker 1: But I actually did a deep dive on this where somebody said that's the overall point of the book, that we're all swimming in hack regurgitated pop culture, and I thought, well, if that's the point, then it's just do I need a thousand pages?
Speaker 2: How much? Yeah? Just give me like five hundred words on that. And I'm a person.
Speaker 1: Who's willing to read really long books. But I'm to the point now that i'm reading it just to try to figure out because I'd like to try my hand at writing someday. Is just like, this is like one of the most revered novels of all time. I got to figure out what's going on here? Why that happened?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: What was the book? I wish I read more fiction? I don't.
Speaker 1: I started again a couple of years ago, So glad I did, and I wanted to stop. Need I need a break from nonfiction is making me crazy and unhappy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I can relate. Dang it, I can't remember what I read. Oh, it'll come back to my mind, just just too late. But was I thought? Yeah it was. It was strength. It was September nineteen eighty eight copy of Swank, like.
Speaker 1: The magazine Sware an Idiot, which you had to a high schooler in a certain era to be aware of that pornographic magazine.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, what was I No, it's not a top tier, not at all, second tier porn that it was like ninety percent of the book and then in the last ten percent. Oh, now it's coming back to me. At the very end, the author says, essentially, oh, it was the Cane mutiny. The Cane mutiny which is a brilliant work of fiction. Spoiler alert. As I discussed at the time, you get ninety percent of the way through the book and you think, yeah, yeah, I get it, and you're right, author as bullshit. Yeah. Then the author says, it's not bullshit at all. I've led you astray. Here's why it's bullshit. Here's why it's not bullshit. And you think, oh christ, yep, yep, yep, yep, I made all the wrong assumptions. Just like the main characters in the book. It's a bit. It's brilliant. So maybe there's a moment coming like that, I hope. So the guy instructs the gals to go with the two hand backhand, and it really changes it.
Speaker 1: It doesn't get better out of bottom in the rope. I mean, God put me through a thousand ways too much. This tastes too far soon. Back to sirious briefly before we end this. It is it is troubling, as if I've said someone who knows several people very close that I want to do okay, who've suffer from these things. Here's a guy, this writer, David foss Wallace, who is brilliant, completely aware of a situation completely aware of every bit of psychological or medical help available, tried most of it, wealthy connected, and he couldn't find a way out. Yeah, kind of like the Chandler from Friends thing. I mean, if you if throwing nine million dollars or whatever he threw at here's a dick didn't do the trick, then what hope does the regular person have?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's rough Man rough.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow's One More Thing podcast will not be so heavy.
Speaker 3: I have a little clip that I could end with. I wanted to play this during the show. And this is a guy Walmart. There's a fire.
Speaker 2: Apparently a teenager set fire to a bunch of.
Speaker 1: Bras and so this set fire to at a Walmart ros Sears. And so this is about the cup size. You got the you got to see you got the d that's the biggest about the cup size.
Speaker 3: So this clip is a guy losing his man card. He has a very deep voice in the beginning, and it turns very high.
Speaker 2: You can't make this up. Look at this, I mean Walmart and written it's on fire.
Speaker 3: What's going on?
Speaker 2: What you bring him? In? His voice got too Yeah, wow, he did kind of go Mickey Mouse.
Speaker 3: Let's say that one more time.
Speaker 2: He can't make this up. Look at this, I mean, Walmart is written, It's on fire. What's going Upstia Morrison and nz up Beege's what happened?
Speaker 3: Well, I guess that's it.
Speaker 2: That was a good ending, Michael