Speaker 1: I am all in again.
Speaker 2: I am all in again with Scott Patterson and iHeartRadio Podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I am all in Podcast. One of them productions. iHeartRadio Media. iHeart Podcast. We are doing episode of Luke Steiner with the one and only Andy a'llo. She is a Cameroon born actres, singer, songwriter chef shines in Amazon's upload in NBC's Chicago Fire as a former guitarist, now here's the sentence that really got me as a former guitarist and vocalist for Prince. Not a lot of people get to say that. Her music includes the Billboard charting album Super Conductor and the acclaimed singles Angels, Make Love, Beyond Music and acting. Andy explores a Cameron and roots through fine dining, hosting pop ups which I think you got one coming up too, We'll talk about that, and directing her award winning short film Alice Dynamic Artist. She continues to inspire across music, film cuisine. Follow her journey on Spotify, Apple Music, and get on her mailing list because she is busy. Welcome Andy, Thank you for joining us.
Speaker 3: Wow, Thanks Scott Man, I haven't heard that.
Speaker 1: Bio bio is that me? That's all right, that's you. So first of all, first of all, we have to talk about your songwriting. We gotta do it. I mean, we'll get into the food. We're going to get into food. But but yeah, tell us about the songwriting. How did you start? How'd you get into it?
Speaker 3: Well? I've always been a storyteller, whether it was through poetry or like coming up with soap operas as a kid and just entertaining myself for hours coming up with crazy stories. But I picked up the guitar kind of out of high school. My mom is a trained pianist, so we grew up with music and she taught me a little bit of piano that has not stuck at all. But I just grew up in a very musical, creative family, so I knew I wanted to sing. I loved performing and just bringing joy to people. So I when I moved to America at thirteen from Cameroon, I knew, Okay, I'm in the place where dreams come true. This is where Hollywood is. This is where and thankfully my mom is from Sacramento, up north, so not too far from LA and I just started doing the hustle, the grind and did open mics, recorded my first album, Put That out two thousand and nine, which got me on a program that featured African singer songwriters, and the network and people behind that ended up working with Prince a year or two later. And my phone rings and they're like, hey, you know, we love you, we think you're amazing, but we're working with Prince now we think there's some synergy. And I was like, okay, cool, sure, you know, you get these random calls and you're just like sure, sure, okay, Like, yeah, come on down to a concert he's putting on and we'll try to introduce you to and so in a nutshell that but you know, I I've always loved singing and telling stories in different mediums. Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: And who are your primary influences as a songwriter?
Speaker 3: Oh, Bonnie Rait, I would say, Tracy Chapman and oh so many. Joni Mitchell.
Speaker 1: J Mitchell was just gonna say, yeah, one of the great storytellers. Oh yeah, uh wow, So you're steeped in all that like late sixties, early seventies folk rock, acoustics.
Speaker 3: Story, Yeah, just great story it is. J Taylor, Yeah, oh Man.
Speaker 1: Neil Stephen still's all this Crosby Stills, NA. Sure, the great storytelling. Yeah, well that's fantastic. So do you still perform? Are you still out there playing out?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Once in a while, you know, I'll put on a show. I you know, I still play. And I've recorded a new album last year. We finished mixing it and so it's in the wings. It's uh, you know, it's simmering. And right now I'm focusing on being a chef. But I know that new music is gonna come out. Uh, you know, when when the time is ready, it's gonna be released to the basses.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk about the the album or the symphonies of your culinary expertise here.
Speaker 3: Oh that was nice.
Speaker 1: You know our listeners are people here, this incredible fan base. They love the foods of Gilmore girls. Have you ever experimented with dishes like you know, let's say something like stuffed fried squash bottoms and uh, you know, things like that, but you know, put your own spin on them. Have you ever done stuff like that?
Speaker 3: I haven't, but I need to because I love eating stub squash blossoms. It's one of my favorite things to eat, especially like when it's stuff with like some ricotta and like and then you like dip it in the tomato sauce. Yeah, it's I need to start playing with it.
Speaker 1: So tell us more about your getting into the food world and how that all happened.
Speaker 3: Well, the way I grew up, we were surrounded by just such rich flavors and Cameron, and food is very community based. You know, you're around the table as many cultures are. You're you know, we're eating with our hands. You're in it, you're feeling it. It's very role and almost an immersive experience to eat. And it feels like for me watching my mom my grandmother make food over a fire. It's very and the different family members in the village and at home, you just there's such a connection and it's like love an heart on a plate. And I just grew up with such a love and appreciation for especially making things from scratch. So like my mom would make tortillas from scratch. My mom's American, so she would brought in the more like different dishes that aren't traditional to Cameroon, and that was really cool. She's grinding her own flower, you know, she's just learning how to make things in Africa that aren't readily available, so it was really amazing to watch that happen. And I love food. I love to eat, so I've always had this appreciation and dream of being a chef, but life took me in other directions of I'm just a creative so I grew up you know, singing, dancing, acting, eating and I actually used to bake cakes in exchange for song beats and that was like a deal that I had with a producer in Sacramento. Is like he would give me beats and I'd like bake a cake for him. That was my payment. Because I was like a teen, I didn't have any money, and so food has always been a through line for me.
Speaker 1: So okay, what would you recommend? Because Laura, l I and Rory they're you know, they're about takeout. You know, they like their takeout stuff and their dinero. Would you if you could introduce them to one Cameroonian dish that might rival, you know, like their pizza, their Chinese food obsession. What would that dish be?
Speaker 3: Oh? Oh that is good. And I'm a big I love takeout. I'm not gonna lie, and pizza is my go to as well. I think I would do a play on burger and fries. But in in Cameroon, in West African countries, there's a spice called soya and it's a bit it's it's spicy, but it's it's nutty. And typically it's kind of meat that's been roasted and grilled very very well and very well done. And you eat that with you can eat that with the yams, with plantains, different different things like that a rice if you want. But I would do a suya spiced burger and and I would do some fried root fries instead. Wow of some you know, like dip. I love dips. I'll just get me a dip and I'm happy.
Speaker 1: Okay. So you have your first ever pop up at Do Bistro, right, yeah, and it's just around the corner. What can diners expect from the experience. What's been the most exciting or challenging part of putting together? By the way, Annie pop up is February six, Okay, yes, and give us a location.
Speaker 3: It's at the Bistro and it's this French bistro in Woodland Hills, Okay. And I'll be there one night, one night only pop up and it's it's filling, it pretty quickly, which is amazing and really exciting to see. So I'm really excited just inviting people into Cameron and food and culture, and so you'll be taken on a journey. It's five courses preset menu, and I'm introducing different things but in a package that's familiar. So one of the dishes looks kind of like donuts or like donut holes, but we call them puff puff And then I've got a bunch of dips. So just introducing everyone in a in a package that's like, oh, yeah, wait, I think that's what that is, but the when you taste it, you're like, oh, that's she's a little different. And I think what's been fun is because there's so many dishes I could have, you know, picked from, and I'm already thinking of, oh what am I going to put on the next menu for the next pop up, but for this one, really coming up with dishes that also feel like heart warming. And so one of them is this lamb pepper soup that it's a little bit chilly here in La and and it's a soup that I just it always makes me feel at home and and it's like a cozy hug. So I'm there's some great like shredded lamb in there and a potato rose just to fancy it up a little bit. But it's one of my favorite things to make fantastic.
Speaker 1: I don't know why I can. All right, here we go.
Speaker 3: And you know what in in the in the episode, it was an osu buco. Is that how you pronounced it? Yeah? Yeah, And and I was like, oh my gosh. One of the dishes on my menu is like a Guinness braised short rib. And when I was like looking up, ohsu buco and I haven't wasn't really familiar with it, but I love Italian food, and and it was it's braised beal and and I was like, oh okay, yes, I love the similarities, you know, just like raising meat for a long time and just when it falls off the bone, it's just oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, Annie Allo go see her. Woodland Hills to Bistro, February sixth, Woodland Hills, California. Continued success. You've got got to come back and fill us in more about about your journey. You're fascinating, delightful journey. Share more of it with us. It was great talking to you, and good luck with the show. Good luck with the pop up, good luck with the album. What else? I mean, you're gonna have a cookbook coming out. I'm now right here we go, continued success and we'll talk soon. Okay, thanks so.
Speaker 3: Much, Scott. This was amazing. I'm such a big fan, so this was a dream.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Peace and love, take care. Hey, everybody, don't forget. Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.